Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Well, I will say this. It is a beautiful Tuesday here at the Star in Frisco and inside the s WBC podcast studio on a gorgeous day outside.
Speaker 2: When you sound like the weather man, that means we got going on tuling. We're looking right, we're looking at other places.
Speaker 4: We don't see the coinage behind us. He's right there in our rearview mirror. And now we're we're not talking.
Speaker 2: About we got to keep it in the rearview mirror, right. That's right.
Speaker 3: Well, this is Mickshot, spill Hones, Everson Walls, and the star of the show, Mickey Spagnola is now I ever Sinden. I'm decked out in black a lot because this is my favorite hoodie and I wear it all the time. There's a reason Mickey has.
Speaker 5: This is my day after game dress, which is like every day every week.
Speaker 6: What a week? That's all I got to say. What a week, starting with the loss, previous loss, the commotion after the game, just one thing after another after another after another, and it made me think that we should have known we were in for something really strange this year when we're in training camp and one of the players room catch on fire. We took like six or seven hours to get to Vegas for a preseason game, and just all the weird stuff that continued.
Speaker 4: The family get into the accident right in San Francisco.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I almost forgot that one.
Speaker 2: Crazy man.
Speaker 6: Sound nowhere, and then Monday happens and it's like.
Speaker 3: Sheet metal falls from the raft, metal falling from the raft.
Speaker 6: Did you have to dodge it?
Speaker 3: I was at the It was at the opposite end of the field from where our live shots were.
Speaker 6: So could you see it?
Speaker 3: I could not know. Okay, no, it was the way on the other end of the field. Christie Scale saw it.
Speaker 6: The people that saw it, yeah they so no.
Speaker 2: One got hit, No one got no thank you boy.
Speaker 6: But of course it fell right next to the ESPN's stage that they set up on the sideline.
Speaker 2: With Stephen there.
Speaker 4: Dang, but Marcus Spears wasn't.
Speaker 3: Stephen as a friend of the show he's been on the show before.
Speaker 2: He's a friend of Jerry Jones. He's not a friend of the show.
Speaker 3: Well, he walked into this mix shots.
Speaker 2: Only because you know, I had one, He had one coming from me. That's the only reason we got.
Speaker 6: We got asked about that Saturday Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Yes, do not Q and A Okay, one of our loyal mix shot fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he brought it up. If everyone saw it, right, I'm sure everyone saw this at the tail end of the right.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Mickey, explain this one.
Speaker 6: Hmmm, where do you start? Here's where I started. It could have been and here we go. It could have been have been Yeah, four sixteen left in the third quarter, and it could have been twenty to thirteen as bad as things had been going, Joe Mixon running all over the Cowboys. Had they kept the sixty four yard field goal or attempted one on fourth and two at the eight, it would have been twenty the thirteen game on. But no, And it speaks to I think the desperation they have to score a touchdown that you go for it and you don't get the touchdown, and then what was it a possession or two later?
Speaker 2: You get the.
Speaker 6: Fumble, recovery, fumble, scoop and score touchdown.
Speaker 7: Well, there was a scoop and attempt to Goha to advance, and then it's twenty seven to ten and basically ball games over.
Speaker 6: Just weird stuff continues to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not really weird as much as it's just incompetence.
Speaker 6: Well, that's just because the pressure on the quarterback was there the entire game. You had to play it with, which, by the way, I don't if there was a bright spot. You signed a guy off the practice squad to the fifty three man roster and said, Josh Butler, you're starting at left corner. I thought he played well, but that's the situation they were in at cornerback, not so much mcwamu in the slot. I'm sorry to tell you. It's it's inexplicable the things that keep happening to this team. And maybe it happens to other people that are good and they can overcome these little deals. But this team's not good enough to overcome that kind of stuff. Well, I can tell you you realize, I'm sorry, you realize that the Texans only gained three more yards than the Cowboys. Three. Cooper rushed through for three fifty four yards.
Speaker 2: Wow, did not know that it was.
Speaker 6: It was nearly one hundred, sixty times fifty five.
Speaker 3: He got sacked five times. He tried to throw it sixty times.
Speaker 2: That was that much accumulation, Geordige, I did not know that. I did not know.
Speaker 6: He threw for a hundred almost one hundred yards more than than Strout. Now it took we had to he had yeah, yeah, because they couldn't run the ball.
Speaker 3: That's still just six point four yards in attempt, which is below par.
Speaker 4: I'll never go for attempt as much as I go for completions. I always go for average yards per completion because there are times when your accuracy may not be there. But the quality, you know, the quality of those catches, the quality of those passes.
Speaker 2: I always go for completions. Average completion yards.
Speaker 6: What was almost twelve per completion?
Speaker 2: That's what I like to look at, because you know, you can go that's a higher number. Oh yeah, that's why I'm listening. Come on, you know, I'm an optimist. I don't get to be where I am without I'm supposed to get to be.
Speaker 3: Here's let's just throw out those incompletions. Let's look at the completion.
Speaker 4: Don't count in completions, don't count as if you catch turping on a ninety yard or whatever. The he I thought about fags the whole time, like, there's this boy he finally got what he was looking for?
Speaker 3: Is that you pick to click?
Speaker 6: Uh? No, No, I don't think it was.
Speaker 3: He went sixty four yards for touchdown, shot out of a cannon, and my pick to click kicked a sixty four yard field goal.
Speaker 6: And by the way, after you brought all that up, what I made my prediction Monday morning? I said, he's gonna kick five field goals in honor of Chris Bone. Yeah, and guess what he should have had three and counting right if the game was still on the line. Well, he can't lift out a forty yard er? How does that happen?
Speaker 3: Turn everyone here where you listen to the ESPN broadcast, I said before he missed it, that he's missing this field goal. Because they were raving about put the graphic up saying that he's thirty four out of thirty.
Speaker 2: Everyone wanted to take credit for that credit.
Speaker 3: This was before it ever happened. I said, well, he's they better not kick a field goal now because he's not making this one.
Speaker 2: And sure enough, even the broadcast booth was like, well, you know he hits the up.
Speaker 3: They knew what they were doing. Akman was a part of it.
Speaker 2: No, they immediately like wash their hands like, no, no, that's not on me, that's not on me. He and Troy, they were both.
Speaker 3: That was the producer. The producer did that. He's a huge Deections fan.
Speaker 4: But when you look at the turping, I remember Troy but a few weeks ago talked about our wide receivers and how they are not getting off the ball fast enough. That is the best move I've ever seen any of our wide receivers make off the line of scrimmage. When you talk about that slant, every slant I've seen quick slant, the guys are just kind of going up in the inside. They're pressed against the defender hoping that they would have room enough for the quarterback to throw it inside. And they never create separation. And that's what Troy Hagmann talked about. When you saw turpins move. He put a lot into that move, which is what you're supposed to do with every route.
Speaker 2: That you run.
Speaker 4: He didn't go Okay, I'm just gonna run my way through here and it just expect the timing to be there. No, this man made one of the best moves I've seen any of our receivers make in the last two years off the line of scrimmage against a pretty decent defensive.
Speaker 6: Back, especially when you can run twenty two point three.
Speaker 2: Miles an hour the fastest.
Speaker 6: In nine years, they said, in ninety nine years, hurts the fastest.
Speaker 3: That's just by a Cowboys ball carrier since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's what they've met cowboy in nine years. Yeah.
Speaker 6: When when when I saw him catch it, I said, he's gone. They ain't catching him.
Speaker 4: But you have to create that face from off the line of scrimmage, and we are not doing that as receivers.
Speaker 2: We are not creating separations. Do you see the separation?
Speaker 4: He was already about three yards he was by the time he cut back inside, he was already three yards in front of the guy.
Speaker 2: Yep. And that's how you create plays. That's how you make plays. We had to see. That's to me, that's the best play we've got we've had all year long.
Speaker 3: Beat Jeffrey Okuda out of South Grand Prairie High School, who once upon a time was like the third pick of the draft out of the house. See that, which, by the way, beat him good the first touchdown at home since Baltimore, and he scored that one turping.
Speaker 4: And if I'm not mistaken, we had no passes over god so many yards.
Speaker 2: I think it was some embarrassing number.
Speaker 4: I don't think we had completed the pass by a wide receiver to a wide receiver to a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: And how long it was a wild I dare say some of my numbers get mixed up. I'm listening to it while I'm fussing with my son during the process of the game.
Speaker 2: But I thought they said something like.
Speaker 4: We averaged like ten yards to our wide receivers completions of ten yards to our wide receivers.
Speaker 6: Well, if you want to know for sure, in the Eagles game, the long completion was nineteen yards. In the Falcons game, the long was twenty two yards. No, I'm sorry, that's a rushing The long was twenty seven yards to Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a wide receiver, so the wide.
Speaker 6: Receivers the long that game was Oh Cavante Turpin twenty two yards. Again, maybe he should play more. Yeah, San Francisco, the long reception was twenty nine yards CD lamb. Detroit twenty seven yards CD lamb.
Speaker 2: How was see these numbers last night?
Speaker 6: Eight for ninety three, I believe it was.
Speaker 3: Let me see, yes, eight for ninety three.
Speaker 6: Averaged eleven point six A catch made, a couple of spectacular catches. Oh, by the way, so I didn't get a chance to go back and look at this. Maybe you guys did the interception when Russia has thrown the timing route to CD on the slant and the guy runs right into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the pire.
Speaker 6: What happened.
Speaker 2: It's a pre.
Speaker 6: And the official in the booth I heard that, but I didn't get to know.
Speaker 2: You heard it.
Speaker 3: What he's saying.
Speaker 6: He said, he said the contact was within five yards.
Speaker 2: He said it was.
Speaker 3: He said it was borderline, yeah, and could have been called I think. But the ball was in the air and maybe to the point of should have been called. If it was in the air, then it.
Speaker 6: And then the next possession they had and some boys got called for illegal.
Speaker 3: Count and maybe Buck I don't remember, I guess said that the initially before he saw the replay said they're not on the same page. And so you see Cooper with his hands outstretched. So people are thinking he's upset with CD. No, he didn't get the call. Yes exactly.
Speaker 6: The guy just slammed them.
Speaker 2: And the ball was thrown. I don't know what they want.
Speaker 6: It was a timy.
Speaker 4: What else do you want? I don't know what else you want. It's like the referees like, we missed that with us.
Speaker 6: It should have been like down on the goal line when they threw five flags. Oh, big time, let me throw my flag.
Speaker 4: To everyone wants to Hey he threw his, I gotta thrown my hey. Hey wait wait, I got a flag too.
Speaker 6: Let me you get off set pedal when you get four and they get one.
Speaker 3: That oh man, And and the guy didn't.
Speaker 6: Know the rule once again lighting up for.
Speaker 2: The kickoff, and they did.
Speaker 3: They picked up. They picked it up.
Speaker 6: Because the head referee had to go explain to the GUYLA guy's making thousands of dollars and he doesn't know the rules.
Speaker 2: And this is a new rule. So they went over this. Yes, what's the word ad nauseum? Is that one?
Speaker 6: Very good?
Speaker 2: I like it? Yeah, come on, so kind of up the game to.
Speaker 6: You think they're going to come up with a new drill. You know they do a drill for like the DBS or whatever. When they do some of the individual drills where they roll the ball out and you practice running and picking it up. You're recovering a fumble. They're going to have one now for the offensive lineman to dive on it, not try to they should.
Speaker 3: I mean we had we had it in curving y M c A. The offense Hamilton Park.
Speaker 4: Have the just jump on it, jump on it, just because at that time, you remember, we couldn't pick it up.
Speaker 2: We couldn't scoop and score. You always had to just jump on it.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that was you couldn't advance a fumble. I don't remember where.
Speaker 8: No, no, you just jump on the fumble. They need to reinstitute that rule you advanceack then that's what there needs to be. The cow Boys need to have a rule with their offensive lineman. Just tell him there's there's a rule against you. You'll get penalized if you try to advance.
Speaker 2: It in his defense. He's like, you know what, I just screw it up. There's no defense.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm giving it to him. I just screwed up. I'm sorry, guys. I've got to make up for it. There it is, there's my redemption right there.
Speaker 2: Boom.
Speaker 6: It's one thing to get you to cause the fumble and then you fumble.
Speaker 2: He sees it opening there, it is right there. Oh my god. He went back to his t too high.
Speaker 6: His TCU tight end days.
Speaker 9: Is that what it was?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Did he ever right?
Speaker 3: He played h back at TCU. Something gave him going to touchdown.
Speaker 2: The notion that he could do this.
Speaker 6: There was nowhere else.
Speaker 2: No, he saw it. We didn't see it.
Speaker 3: He saw something.
Speaker 2: He saw something in front of him.
Speaker 4: He didn't see the black dude in the black uniform and just knocked the hell out of it.
Speaker 3: I'm the same guy who forced the original fumble. Score scores, and he was also he may have had the biggest play of the game for the Texans in the game, going back to the sixty four yard field goal, because he had the personal foul penalty. Derek Barnett had a head slash. Yeah, the personal foul penalty. If that play doesn't If that penalty doesn't occur, the Cowboys cut the lead to twenty third, three, right right. You know what I literally thought at that time, even though the thought went through my mind, don't take the.
Speaker 2: Points off the board.
Speaker 4: Off the board, Yeah, they say that used to be the thing, never take pots off the board, but it was analytics comes around, they changed that, But that used to be the thing. Coaches, never take points off the board.
Speaker 3: But then I saw, okay, they're at the thirty one yard line, all right, go ahead. Fifteen yard penalty.
Speaker 2: Tough to tell.
Speaker 3: And so now you're at the thirty one and I still the thoughts running through my mind, we should take and then it gets and then it gets to fourth and two.
Speaker 6: Woh man, because you had to feel somewhat fortunate because you were backed up to third and twenty at the forty six when you made that film. Oh head slap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, just getting started here on the day after and we continue in just a moment.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at a.
Speaker 4: Team hotel, attend the best tail game party, in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me, Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 6: Rushcott kits slides with a first.
Speaker 10: Down invest like your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto With blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 6: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the.
Speaker 10: Dayle visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off. I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated Colster Canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions, and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor and combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demitt shuts.
Speaker 4: Stay connected with the Dallas Cowboys on your Connected TV.
Speaker 2: Catch up on all.
Speaker 4: Cowboys content like player interviews, weekly TV shows, podcasts, docuseriies like Deep Blue, and much more. Download the Cowboys now app on Amazon's fire Roku and Apple TV.
Speaker 3: All right, we should have had that commercial on the air. My throat started to hurt.
Speaker 2: From laughing so hard. But you know what, laughing at you know what else.
Speaker 6: We forgot on the on the fourth and two that they went for, They got a holding pedalty on it. Anyway, anyway they would have had fourth and twelve and then you would have kicked the field goal.
Speaker 3: Scoonmaker did all right, though, he really did.
Speaker 2: He really did.
Speaker 6: I was thinking what he had six catches. He totaled up to that game eight this year and last year all he had was eight. He had six, so he kind of emerged a little.
Speaker 2: He had to and no funds.
Speaker 6: Spain Ford did, okay, My dude.
Speaker 2: Man, dude, he is huge. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I saw him in practice the other day. I'm talking about how huge he was, and in the game he looks even bigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. Is he six seven? Something like that he looked, because.
Speaker 4: When you start talking about tight ends, you're gonna go six five, you know, maybe six. He's not talking about six seven, six eight, my goodness, but he seems.
Speaker 3: Like he's just six six and a half to six.
Speaker 4: He's almost there, six seven and boy good like superman, boy man.
Speaker 3: So there was a college free agent find right there in Brevan span Ford, and we're gonna probably see more of Brevan span Ford handlers Schoonmaker against Washington because Jake Ferguson as a concussion. Short week with a concussion, I see a bunch of them the next two weeks.
Speaker 6: Jerry didn't sound too encouraged that he'd get back in time for the game.
Speaker 2: There was Jake's my dude, man, but boy, he's had a rough you he's had a rough.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 6: All I know is scoon Maker had more catches for more yards than Dalton Schultz.
Speaker 2: M hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We didn't want Dalton to come back in here to do something.
Speaker 6: Who led them with five catches?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think he didn't even throw the ball that.
Speaker 6: Muchut Uh thirty four twenty three of thirty four for two fifty seven, only one sack.
Speaker 3: When you compare it to sixty times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's what I was looking.
Speaker 6: So what did you think of how they finished the game on the offensive line?
Speaker 2: Not well at all? What are you looking at it?
Speaker 6: So you had awesome three fifths of your starters were missing.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Get a holding call? Yeah it was.
Speaker 6: Holding too, but Geydon was out the shoulder again. Then Zach Martin.
Speaker 3: Goes out with various ailments.
Speaker 6: Yeah, ankle, shoulder age illness, Yeah, yeah, age. And then Tyler Smith goes out ankle. So you realized they were down to their last offensive linement because brock Hoffman came in to play left guard, Richards played left tackle, and then t J. Bat Bass played right guard. So one more injury.
Speaker 3: And who would have been playing offensive a tight end or a defensive lineman.
Speaker 6: Or a defensive lineman, but.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't know it would have been a defensive lineman. You gotta go with somebody on the ford.
Speaker 3: He's the only one that would come close to at six six and a half.
Speaker 2: To sixty, I take him, put him.
Speaker 6: I was thinking, might discover a right time. Right if it was BB that got hurt, brock Hoffman would have had the center, and you need a guard, Mazzi. Maybe I was thinking Trent Siggs deep snapper, the deep snapper, but he's only two forty too small.
Speaker 2: Hey man, you can't be saying too small if you have the offensive.
Speaker 3: Well, no, because the change the rules changed on the deep snappers where you don't have to be del hellistad a snap anymore. Yeah, they can't. They can't hover over.
Speaker 6: Did you watch the end of the Bears game. Yeah, they crushed that center and no call.
Speaker 3: Packers on the game.
Speaker 2: And he got through there.
Speaker 6: He got through because he crushed the center. You know who the coach was on that Yeah, I was gonna say Biachi Pasachia.
Speaker 3: And you Knowson Garrett on Sunday Night Football the pregame show said he got a text from Pisacia. Watch this, I got something and it turned out he.
Speaker 6: Did, yeah, illegally and who had to point it out the next dayber flu.
Speaker 2: So well loves company.
Speaker 6: So who knows the Jets?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Bill knows me? So well, let's talk about that.
Speaker 6: Geez well, I thought their GM knew everything.
Speaker 3: Douglas, he was the genius right, put that roster together, he put together, hired the head.
Speaker 2: Coach without without Aaron mm hmmm.
Speaker 6: So what if I mean, what if these guys on the offensive line are injured going forward, like I can't play.
Speaker 3: Well, let's go look at the practice squad.
Speaker 6: So well, let's go, we'll have to play.
Speaker 2: And he's not on the.
Speaker 6: Practice squad, but he's on the roster. Josh Josh wall on the practice squad and Tuma. They might have to tell him you're healthy to get out there.
Speaker 2: Practice squad. I did not know that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know it either. Was last week and realized, oh yeah, Josh is still on the practice.
Speaker 6: And Tuma's twenty one day lead a ramp up had already started, and I think he was one of the inactives, so he would have to play.
Speaker 2: So, so who do we have this week?
Speaker 3: Washington?
Speaker 2: Washington? Okay, so Washington is good. What is the strength of their entire team?
Speaker 3: Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 2: Besides that.
Speaker 3: D line it has been now they rade it away and lost, you know, and and Chase Young was there before, and they said one of their tackles was out last week it was Jonathan Allen or Deron Payne.
Speaker 6: Payne was out serious, Oh, I don't know, but he didn't play.
Speaker 2: It's still a culture that.
Speaker 3: They have there, and that's dan Quinn's position there. You go, Well, he's going to make sure.
Speaker 6: These know how much culture developed in ten games.
Speaker 4: Well, I think going back to they I thought they've always had that simply because that's been their mindset for about the last five years.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they've invested first round draft picks in defensive tackles and defensive ends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is not good. For us.
Speaker 3: Let's see, I'm checking on them Washington. Well, and then the second round draft pick this year is uh Is Jerson Newton, who is in for Jonathan Allen right now as a starter. So it's basically out of Illinois, big guy out Illinois.
Speaker 6: Jade and Daniels McLaurin the wide.
Speaker 3: Receiver who was shut down last week.
Speaker 6: Yes, and they've done a decent job running in.
Speaker 3: I've got Dorren's armstrong and not Dey Fowler racking up some sack numbers.
Speaker 6: Power has a bunch, did I hear eight?
Speaker 3: They And the other part of it, to your point is I really like what they did at the linebacker position, not only with Bobby Wagner but with Frankie lou who they really upgraded there. But and that's something that the offensive line's got to contend with.
Speaker 2: Mm mmm mmmm.
Speaker 6: So I got another bone to pick. So when you get beat like that, no one wants to point out they're not good enough. Everybody wants to point out, well, I don't think they gave enough effort. And I think that's a lame excuse to give them for not being good enough. Because did Cavante Turpin looked like he wasn't given any efforts running his ass off. Josh Butler playing his first NFL game, Do you think he was tryan?
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He got a couple of nice hits too, right. He got a little excited out there a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Princeton fant has to play his first NFL game. He's playing hard, scoon Maker, playing hard.
Speaker 4: You had I can't get his name. It was number thirty five's name for us Leapel leaphile. He had to play nickel, if I'm not mistaken, didn't I say it?
Speaker 6: Well? They had, they had they they went to jan y A. Thomas there for a while on the nickel.
Speaker 2: I saw he was taking the tackle of covering the slot man. Yeah. I saw.
Speaker 6: They must have been in zone because you wouldn't.
Speaker 2: He was right there, he was covering the slot man. Yeah, number two.
Speaker 3: To make him to get him on it.
Speaker 6: You know those rookies are playing hard right over shown Leophile Kendrick says, nine tackles. I don't want to hear about this effort thing. That's such a clique. You get this book of cliches. When you start losing, well, you have any effort. Jerry put a stop to well, when he walked off with about four of us after he talked for however long, and somebody asked him about the effort, and he goes, I think that's overblown.
Speaker 2: It's mistakes. Yes, it's not effort. It's mistakes and everyone's making them.
Speaker 6: And a lot of those guys are on the last year of their contracts. They're not going to go out there in the loaf. Somebody's watching me. I can't put bad tape out there if I'm going to be a free agent.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing is trust.
Speaker 4: I don't think especially defensively, I don't think they trust each other because you seem to always have someone that's out of position. It's not that he's not trying. The effort is there. I don't think they know where to be. There are too many guys that are wide open. There are too many gaps in your defense to where And that's once again I.
Speaker 2: Put that on the coaches. You have to make sure that everyone is where they need.
Speaker 4: To be, so it's more preparation. That's what I look at, And I know it's tough. You got you got to work with all these different guys. Now, these different combinations. Half the time, you'll know who's gonna be playing where. But that needs to be a universal understanding in the locker room. We have to be in place before we can do anything well.
Speaker 6: And if you look at remember before the Atlanta game, when Will was diagramming the running place Roberts Jean Robinson with that cutback, What did you think Nixon was doing.
Speaker 2: In the row?
Speaker 3: The touchdown, the touchdown, I'm talking forty yards. No, I'm talking about his second touch or maybe his third touch, his free his touchdown where he started up the middle and went right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, before that play, I.
Speaker 3: Said, he's going right, He's going right because you could tell for the alignment of the defense that is where the weakness was.
Speaker 6: And they're cutting back on them.
Speaker 3: And so they started if play was designed to go up the middle, and he bounced that outside and nobody was in position.
Speaker 4: If you're on the one yard line and you're outside, you can't stop a player from getting one yard from out here. You have to maintain where you are and just be a spectator. You stay where you are, maintain and set the edge. You had two guys out of position twice in the row.
Speaker 3: And you got and Parsons is lined up as a defensive tackle on that play. I mean he had a hand on the ground down inside, and I'm like, that's one guy who, if he's playing on the edge, can run him down and actually bring down Joe Mixon in the open field a cornerback.
Speaker 2: They did they did inside was shut off.
Speaker 4: Job well done. You want to flush that out to the outside. And then you got little guys like myself out looking like he rose. And they had two chances to do that.
Speaker 3: And that's why Mixon did this to the Josh Butler or whoever it was that was trailing him, like you're not tackling it.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you just set the edge, he doesn't get up ahead of steam and you just make the tackle.
Speaker 6: I swear I where you miss DeMarcus Lawrence, Marshawn Neeland, true defensive ends to play out there.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the corners. I'm looking at the corner of the safety. Those are the two guys that were supposed to be out there on that one. I thought the ends did their job. They flushed it out. You gotta have these two guys out here, and twice in the row they made the same mistake. Those are the small things that stopped great plays from happening. And I wouldn't say great play because I don't know how once we win the game, but I will say they would be meaningful stops, so where it could make a difference in the score, therefore the outcome.
Speaker 2: Of the game.
Speaker 3: Because you're saying that a smaller player, like a corner or a safety, if he's setting the edge, he's got outside leverage in mixing, can't get outside.
Speaker 2: I can't get outside. First of all, he's spending too much time in here.
Speaker 4: He realizes that, so as he bounces outside, Oh, the play is already done.
Speaker 3: So you can't get the edge. Can't get sucked in.
Speaker 4: He can't get sucked in. You can't get And he doesn't have enough He doesn't have enough steam. He didn't build up enough steam to threaten you. If you set the edge, it would make it easier for you to make that play. He's gonna have to go wider and deeper.
Speaker 2: And now you've got the advantage and chase.
Speaker 4: You can chase and head him off and bring him back inside where guys would eventually come that way.
Speaker 2: If he's gonna retreat, which is what he has no other choice but to do.
Speaker 3: But if it's just gonna be a foot race to the flag, do you realize that they done that first possession.
Speaker 6: They scored two touchdowns the first play of the game.
Speaker 3: You're a guy, Nicole Collins who's doing it. Hey, look look over your shoulder. He can talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he can talk.
Speaker 3: Look shot right there for those who don't know. Ever since in Nico Collins had a speaking engagement in Corpus Christy in the office Southstake earlier South Padre and uh so we were never supposed to get in to speak, and they're supposed to scheduled to speak. So Nico goes first, and he took like thirty seconds maybe maybe went and sat down.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming out, good night.
Speaker 3: That was it ever said. Thanks a lot. He's got he's got the forty five minutes to fill.
Speaker 2: I don't even think he stayed for my speech. He left.
Speaker 3: Well, he does his work quick as the first play of the game called back, all right, so we continue with more mix shots in a moment.
Speaker 9: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring this promoker back to AT and T Stadium. For some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 6: Ruscott keeps it slides for the first.
Speaker 10: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perffick throw my goodness, wow did he ever thread the day?
Speaker 10: To visit blockchain dot com Slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 2: Star Sports Tools is the only.
Speaker 4: Official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, Attend the best tailgate party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls With Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 2: What a pairing can cracks?
Speaker 12: A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes followed.
Speaker 6: By Monday Morning Swagger, Briskey and the Smoker.
Speaker 12: Miller Lite and the Cook, America's team playing America's Greatest sports.
Speaker 2: Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 6: De vict Shots.
Speaker 4: Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by Invisiline. Don't miss your chance to learn from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders at dance camps on December twenty seventh and former NFL players at football camps on December twenty third and December twenty seventh. Celebrate the Holidays with the Cowboys. Register today at dallascowboys dot Com slash Camps.
Speaker 3: Okay, we don't want to leave some of Mickey's best rants in a commercial break, So Mickey tell us about de Marveiana Overshewn.
Speaker 6: The Marion Overshown's trying to stop a run and he's diving to get to the running back and they called him for a low block.
Speaker 1: Low.
Speaker 6: He's not blocking, He's trying to make a tackle.
Speaker 2: Because where but where was the running backs bag.
Speaker 6: Right behind the two guys he tried to bust through. How do you call that? It's just it's amazing some of the stuff that those ice come up with.
Speaker 4: I think against the Cowboys. I think that the referees field that they're getting paid by degree of difficulty.
Speaker 2: Are must be.
Speaker 4: That's a hard Okay, that's a difficult one. The holding on MASI I actually missed that one. Uh tell me about that one.
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 6: It was the second player of the game, second player of the game, and he gets he gets called for holding and he's trying to fight off a block and he's just kind of moving the guy. It wasn't like he grabbed him to pull him out so somebody else can make a tackle. It's just amazing, just amazing the stuff they.
Speaker 2: Come up with.
Speaker 6: You know, they had Turpin had that that return and they got called for holding, right, mclamu, mcclomu. Yeah, you just go through the whole game, all right, the fake punt. But you know what, and we'll get to the fake punt, ye, thank you. Everybody talks about the Cowboys penalties, right, each team had nine penalties. Okay, it was a very very very equal statistic.
Speaker 4: It was a tacky game. It was just tacky, guys. We had a lot of mistakes in that game on both sides.
Speaker 3: Okay, but if you go through the stat sheet, it's like first downs about equal. Total yards were equal, penalties were equal. The only thing that was.
Speaker 6: Was rushing rushing yards by the way, yeah, but everything else each team the Cowboys had two turner was they had one.
Speaker 3: Cowboys made up for the lack of rushing yards with the rush yards the past game passing yards by rush. Right, very nice, All right, Can we go to the fake punt?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Can we stop doing this?
Speaker 2: Can we stop faking punts and just the down ball?
Speaker 3: Well, I thought. I thought that the best drives were ones that ended in a kick, whether it be an extra point, a field goal, or a punt. What happened to that? We've had two in the last three games.
Speaker 2: Now. It was just trying to throw you off, man, that's how. That's how. He didn't mean that.
Speaker 6: And it was fourth and nine, fourth and nine on end of the field and you're thirty three.
Speaker 3: Now, as it turned out, they threw an interception, and then the Cowboys threw an interception right now, right eye penalty that should have been a penalty play. Yeah, but and as it and think about it, the Texans first drive of the game, it was like a knife through butter to go seventy seven yards for a touchdown. On that Positionion Smoke.
Speaker 6: Was tunsled downfield. Sometimes we don't get to see.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, see what he was, Yes, and he was blocking, uh or looking for somebody the momentum. No, No, it was downfield, definitely. But anyway, on the fake punt, I mean, please, it's like trying to do too much because you get your backup quarterback in the yes, and I think they need to understand that. Let the game play out and you're gonna you're gonna be better off by playing a field position game.
Speaker 6: And not gambling. And it sounds like who's ever in charge out there? If you see something, you got to call it off.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what happened on it. Did you hear McCarthy's explanation.
Speaker 6: It sounded like it should have been called off because they dropped the the.
Speaker 3: Option should not have even been on. Okay, just tell them this game, we're not running this okay.
Speaker 6: Because you had to pick up nine? They picked up what four? And the guy was right there covering them. They snuffed it out. But yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: I had another issue in the late first half. Cowboys take over with three to fifty five left and the half they run it to Rico for nine yards, Rico for three yards, okay, first down at their own thirty two completion, Schoonmaker for eight to Rico for five, first down at the forty five. Then you had a five yard illegal contact penalty. Now you got first down at the fifty. Then in completion you get another illegal contact. You're first down at the Houston forty five yard line. Okay, we're now under two minutes left, and then it goes incomplete complete to CD complete two flanoia, a complete toscooed maker and there's still one ten left in the game in the half. Now you got a first down and it's an incomplete pass, and then finally it's a rush two yard run and you're still one oh six left. My point is understanding the abilities of the players that you have with a backup quarterback, you're not going to be able to matriculate your way down the field throwing the football. Run the clock, or at least make them use the timeouts so that they're not going to get an opportunity with fifty six seconds left in that Now, as it turns out, the Texans through three straight incompletions. But I'm talking about clock management in the final two minutes of the half, and run the football even though you got plenty of time left, plenty of time left, you had too much time left. The point is you do not want Houston to get the football back with a chance to score at the end of the half, right.
Speaker 6: And they ended up calling a time out with one minute left before the field goal attempt right which was no good, which he slipped on right exactly and he got forced. But I just at least make them use their timeouts right. But I just think it goes back to it's a different This is a different offense without Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: Honey.
Speaker 4: I think our last three games, our defense has played well enough to where they deserve to be trusted. Sometimes in those situations, we don't trust our defense based on what we were doing early on and now these fake punts coming out of nowhere and these unnecessary gambles and decisions taking points off the board. It's because of what our mindset was first five, six, seven games of the season. Defensively, we couldn't stop anybody now on where we are defensively, even with the injuries we could have in certain situations, put the ball in their hands and let them do what they have to do. And like you said, play the field position game. You can only play a field position game if you have a good defense.
Speaker 3: But when you're taking over, you're basically in a four minute offense, not a two minute offense. With three fifty five left and you ran it twice to start that possession, but even once it got under two minutes, you have plenty of time to make your way down the field. And the one thing you don't want to have happen is for Houston to get the football back with their timeouts with an opportunity to score again.
Speaker 2: And sometimes that was after we made some unnecessary gamble.
Speaker 3: So it was ten straight past places after and.
Speaker 2: Anyway, and.
Speaker 4: The gambles, the fake punts and things of that nature may not have been necessary right now because our defense was actually trying to tow the line and.
Speaker 3: It was past place. You're running your two minute offense where you're you know, receivers are getting the ball on the on the flanks and they're getting out of bound and they're stopping the clock.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, ah, you're trying to pick something out. All of it is, all of it is is a down.
Speaker 6: I was looking at I was looking at halftime. It's seventeen ten. Yeah, you hit the up right on a field goal and you took one off the board. The total yards Houston two thirty two, Dallas two oh nine. The Cowboys only had the ball for twelve minutes.
Speaker 3: I got a double check that it's true.
Speaker 6: Twelve minutes or twenty eight seconds in the first half.
Speaker 2: That's it. And they still you were holding that one, then you that's true. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I write down the stats at half times saying it was seventeen thirty two to twelve twenty eight.
Speaker 6: My other staff stat here was it was homecoming for the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. They had two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Former cheerleaders to show up to perform as that on they did. Yeah, and they actually Charlotte Jones brought up Kelly and Judy before they met at midfield in pregame, and we were all in the building. Fans weren't in the building yet, and so honoring Kelly for thirty five years with the organization in forty years.
Speaker 6: So I was going down after they warmed up or whatever, and ran into a couple that recognized me. Oh well, judge Mickey, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, you're one of the main raising something to help some of them get on Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Well that was the highlight of the night.
Speaker 6: All right, all right?
Speaker 3: Does it for a day after Washington Weeks starts tomorrow On the next episode the mix Shots Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.