Speaker 1: Ruby.
Speaker 2: I just go out there and I see it, I know it, and boom. You need a boiler, you need to hot water heater, you have lead pipes coming in your house. You have mold over here, you got this over here. I take pictures and then move on.
Speaker 1: Every house has problems.
Speaker 3: Well that feels ominous.
Speaker 1: Uh no, that's just true. But the question is whether you know what those problems are because they're not always obvious.
Speaker 4: They could be quietly destroying your home while you're I don't know, watching Netflix.
Speaker 1: And that's why today's episode is about all the things in your house that can hurt you, poison you, flood your basement, give you jingles for us. Leah, do you know the joy it brings me to see your face?
Speaker 4: I think I might because I feel that same exact joy.
Speaker 1: I've learned so much from hosting this show and looking at like the list of episodes for making this season, we're just in for another dose of learning, and so I'm so pumped to get into it with our topic today.
Speaker 4: A lot of people say you don't know what you don't know, but this show really points out to me everything that I don't know, and then I feel so much better when I even learn a little tiny bit about so many different things.
Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to Grown Up Stuff, the podcast where we figure out all the things you feel like you should know by now.
Speaker 3: Uh, maybe don't. I'm Leah Paul.
Speaker 1: Mary and I'm Matt Stillo and today we're talking home safety with home Inspector Joe Masa. Joe Masa is co host of the HGTV series What's Wrong with That House and previously Home Inspector Joe. He now runs his own home inspection business.
Speaker 4: He's basically seen everything that can go wrong in a house and more importantly, how.
Speaker 3: To prevent it.
Speaker 1: And not to humble brag, but he agreed to chat with us before heading off to inspect a too big to be mentioned celebrities house Fancy, very fancy.
Speaker 3: We were still the highlight of his day.
Speaker 1: Well stuff.
Speaker 2: So I'm inspecting her house. So she's probably gonna hate me once I'm done.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that takes us right into it.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm the hater. Yeah, So, you know, just like yesterday's job, it was a gorgeous, gorgeous house and they have the cameras on the outside of the home and I heard them talking. They're like you know, let's hear what this a hole is saying. Right now, I can hear him, and I turned around. I looked at the camera. I go, I hear you.
Speaker 4: God, all right, Matt, Well, let's hear what this a hole has to say.
Speaker 2: Look, you know it's what every house, right, every house has a problem. Yeah, house has a problem. Yeah it's all it's just how big the problem is.
Speaker 1: Home hazards cause millions of injuries every year.
Speaker 4: And most of the hazards aren't dramatic. They're just things that people ignore or don't know how to.
Speaker 1: Spot, water, air. This is like an episode of Avatar the Last Airbender fire maintenance, basically all.
Speaker 3: Of the invisible stuff.
Speaker 1: So this episode is about catching problems early before they become very expensive lessons and dangerous safety hazards, because.
Speaker 4: As Joe puts it, small problems don't stay small for long.
Speaker 3: Here he is describing exactly what he does.
Speaker 2: My job is to inspect a home. That typically is people that are buying. I do pre sell home inspections and I do regular home inspections for people that I've been living there for a while. So my goal is to tell you what's wrong and how to fix it in a sense, I like to tell people how to fix it because I know how to fix a lot of things. I've been in construction for a long time. My big, big role is safety, safety, safety, safety across the board.
Speaker 1: In your experience, what is one of the single most preventable home safety issues that you see that you know, one that makes you think like, oh my god, you guys, this was so avoidable.
Speaker 2: Mold? Mold. Yeah, I can't stress mold enough. Actually, just at a house. It was last week. In the garage it had mold. In the basement it had mold, and in the attic it add a lot of mold. These are the typical spots of where you're gonna find mold. Dehumidifiers. You must have a dehumidfier in your garage and in your basement. It is a must. It is a non negotiable when buying a house, living in a house, you want humidity fifty percent or less. If you don't have it fifty percent or less, you are going to get mold across the board. So a dehumidifier you spend one hundred bucks on hundred fifty two hundred doesn't matter if even if it was five hundred dollars you get those, and I have one in my garage and I have one in my basement. So the house that didn't have it, they had mold in the garage and a lot of mold. You really couldn't see it. But when I take my flashlight and I shine the flashlight on an angle, all the spores is shine. And then in the basement you need it as well. So the attic mold in the attic. So you have your sop advance where the roof comes down over the gutters underneath there there is a sopping and it has vents. Not every house but a majority of them have vents there. People think there's air getting in, which there is, and it's supposed to. They stuff insulation down inside there. What that does is it stops all the airflow, now heat loss from the house in the wintertime, Condensation on the mails that are going through the roof mold, and it was just mold everywhere. And they didn't have a lot of sunlight in that section of the home. And that was all avoidable, one hundred percent avoidable all the way around. And they ended up paying twenty thousand dollars to have it repaired WHOA.
Speaker 1: Let's take a minute to explain why mold in the house can be a hazard. Most mold really isn't harmful, right, I mean, we use it to make yogurt, penicillin, cheese, all kinds of good things. Mold spores are in the air we breathe, and it's usually not an issue. But extensive indoor mold contamination that could cause some health problems, probably.
Speaker 4: Not more than the cheese though, But according to Harvard Health, the biggest issue for most people is coughing, congestion, scratchy throat, and if you already have allergies or asthma, it can hit a lot harder, like real flare ups, not just mild symptoms.
Speaker 1: Plus, obviously kids, older adults, people with weaker immune systems, they're more at risk. So if your house smells musty, that's your house telling you something.
Speaker 4: And let's be clear, mold doesn't need a big splashy leak to show up. It just needs moisture and time like twenty four to.
Speaker 1: Forty eight hours, which means humidity alone can cause it big problem for people living in high humidity states like Louisiana, Mississippi, and of course Florida. Which usually ranks at the top for most at risk from mold.
Speaker 4: So that dehumidifier Joe mentioned that is way cheaper than ripping out drywall, because once mold spreads, you're not talking about prevention anymore. You're talking about a costly remediation and greater potential for health problems.
Speaker 1: Okay, Joe, So let's talk about the differences between an old house versus a new house, because I feel like I know which one might be safer overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're buying one hundred year old house. You're gonna have one hundred year old problems.
Speaker 3: Okay, great.
Speaker 2: I tell people, you know, they're like, Jo, my floor is a little slope over here. I'm like, when you're one hundred years old, I want to see you walk a straight line. And everyone needs a V eight right when you get that old, you gotta straight yourself out. A one hundred year old home has one hundre ye old problems. You're gonna find a lot of different issues, especially insulation, the insulations in the walls. If they haven't done anything, you're either one gonna have none or two it's gonna be completely compressed. You're gonna have air leaks, all over. The house is going to be drafty, your utility bills are going to be through the roof. A newer house, everything is more air tight, which doesn't necessarily mean a good thing. Because now your house is so air tight you have no air moving in and moving out, which can also for breathing issues. Mold can grow easier with that, So there's pros and cons of old and of new old houses. Lead paint. Anything built for nineteen seventy eight is assume to have lead paint. Galvanized pipes Galvanized pipes are the worst to have. First of all, you don't want water lines to be galvanized because you drink that you're gonna have a problem.
Speaker 4: And here's the problem. Galvanized pipes are basically steel or iron pipes coated in zinc to keep them from rusting, and they were super common in homes built before the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 3: They don't age well.
Speaker 4: Over like forty to seventy years. That protective coating breaks down, and instead of preventing issues, it actually starts causing them rust build up, weird brownish water, lower water pressure, and more concerning, they can start leeching heavy metals, including lead, into your drinking water. So it's one of those things that used to be a smart solution but now is more of a hidden risk. Okay, back to Joe.
Speaker 2: Two lead piping coming into the house. You don't want that either. But galvanized pipes take the pipe to say, it's a two inch diameter in the middle. And I always say to people eat fast food every single day, all day long for years and years and years. The average person, their arteries are going to shut down. And that's what happened with galvanized pipes, and they leak out like the one I did the other day. The guy thought it was a good idea to take scotch tape and taped the hole in his pipe in his laundry room scotched.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I don't even trust scotch tape to keep an envelope close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, dude, scotch tape really, you know.
Speaker 1: Some guys are just scotch taping over all the problems in their life.
Speaker 2: I mean, if that was a cave and I just I'd invest in scotch tape, but you know it doesn't work like that. But anyway, Yeah, older houses present a lot of older problems. The house I did yesterday was twenty years old. Monster foundation cracks. Wowly twenty years old?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you're buying like a pretty new house, is there anything else from like a new house that you should be on the lookout to because you're thinking, oh, that's brand new, shiny, everything's good here. Is there still something that homeowners should be making sure is double checked?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Cheap labor, cheap workmanship, cheap materials on the home. I've done new new houses that were going for you know, well over a million, two million dollars. They just use horrible material It was just not done right.
Speaker 1: I think there's definitely this default assumption that newer homes are safer, you know, like newer equals better built, fewer problems, less risk. But what Joe's getting at here is the newer homes just have different problems.
Speaker 4: Oh but they got problems because older homes are kind of like you know what, you're dealing with, lead pain, older wiring, maybe some questionable plumbing choices. Yeah, but newer homes they're tighter, more sealed up, less airflow, which sounds cool until you realize that also means moisture and pollutants they have nowhere to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he said that there's also like the build quality piece. With newer homes, people are building them faster with like less quality materials, sometimes less oversight, so you might not see the problems right away, but they could show up later.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, in trying to save some money right off the top, you might be only adding on some more later when you have some problems. So I want to move on to detection. Now, how do we make sure that we are set up to detect some of these things before they become big issues aka.
Speaker 3: A lot more money.
Speaker 4: So I want to start with detectors because fire is one of the big home safety considerations.
Speaker 2: Smoke detectors. Everybody needs one. In every sleeping court. You need one. You walk in the room, boom right on the ceiling. Put it there. I don't care if it's wired in, I don't care how you want to put it. Just have one right there. Every hallway smoke detector and COEO detector, carbon monoxide detector. Every level of the house needs a smoke and carbonoxide I always like to have one in the garage, a smoke and carbon You can even put a heat detector in there as well. Any room with a fireplace have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector. These are just the areas that produce carbon monoxide and smoke. They have a ten year life and they are on the side of each one and it has a date You put the data in that you installed it, and in ten years throw it out. Most of them now they don't even have batteries that go in. It's a built in battery. You get it, you pull the tab out, install it, and then it'll tell you the ones I have here. They talk to each other on every level. They're not Wi Fi. I don't want Wi Fi from my own person reasons because let's say I lose power in a home and I lose Wi Fi. Now my smoke detectors don't work, and they're not talking to each other. But there's so many different kinds you can get out there that go to your cell phone. They give your heads up, this is what happened, this is what's happening. And if you are going to change a battery, change a battery, don't take it down and not change a battery. I was with a real estate agent the other week with a beautiful house. She had a fire in her kitchen a year earlier, she took the smoke detector down. Want to change a battery put in her draw forgot about it? Well, in her kitchen almost burned down. Avoidable, right, it's just avoidable.
Speaker 3: I did just want to ask you about the smoke detectors too.
Speaker 4: We know you're not going for the Wi Fi option, but like, do I need like a really fancy expensive one or just like a regular basic one works? And also do you recommend the kind where like you have to put in two double A batteries supposedly every time you like change your clocks or is it just better to have the kind that you were talking about where you pull the tab and it's like good for a while.
Speaker 2: You don't need an expensive one. You really don't. If you want them to talk to each other, which is what I have. I like the ones I talk to each other. So the basement talks to the first floor, first four talks to the second floor, so if there's something happening on every level, it'll say, hey fire, first floor fire, fire, fire, and then everyone has a panic attack and they run out. I like those the ones with the batteries you put in. I'm not a fan of that. Don't get that the ones that have a ten year life buy those. You just install it, put the date on it, and move on from there.
Speaker 1: So just a shout out to women everywhere. I don't know how I did it, but I went five years without a smoke detector in my house because every time I made pizza it just went off. And then my wife moved in, was like, are you an idiot? Like do you want to die? And now she cleaned my oven, which is why I was going off all the time. And she saved my life every day. So and she didn't move out, she totally could have. She somehow is still here.
Speaker 2: It's a good woman. Keep her.
Speaker 1: I try every day.
Speaker 2: One thing we didn't touch based on really quick. Let's say you live in a house like mine. It's a cape, so upstairs, I have one way up, one way out. If there's ever a fire on my first floor and it goes up, let's say and I can't get down my stairs, I have ladder. It's one time you sladder? Did I throw out the window? Now? If your five stories up, make sure it's a five story ladder, because mine is for two stories. So it's a one time use, you throw it out the window, and you know, we have it in one of the rooms upstairs, and I told my daughter, my wife, this thanking God forbid ever happens. This is how it latches on and you throw it out and you climbed out.
Speaker 1: One question that I want to go back to, just so the pretext to this question is, my wife and I just were taking out like a child safety class and one of the things that they had us watch was like grease fires and like why you'd want to have like a fire extinguisher in your kitchen. And they specifically said to get a chemical fire extinguisher, which like helps grease fires. So the question that I'd ask you, they're like, what are some of the most common fire risks you see in everyday homes? And what kind of fire extinguisher would you recommend people have on hand.
Speaker 2: So for the stove, what we bought was a fire blanket. Look into fire blankets first, the fire extinguishers. Because you have a fire extinguisher, I'm like, good, good. I go, do you know how to use it? And I test people show me how to use it, and they like like this, I'm like, you're doing it wrong. You're spraying through the flames, you have to step back six feet back, spray it at the base of the flame versus through the flame, because you're just wasting your time. So a lot of people don't know how to use a fire extinguisher, but fire blankets for like a grease fire. It's a very good option. And I'm not gonna lie. That was not my idea. I came home and my wife bought it. So, Matt, your wife saved you.
Speaker 1: My wife is saving us, just saving lives.
Speaker 2: Why as you're saving lives?
Speaker 1: Oh like that?
Speaker 2: Why love that? Now? Things that cause fires that we see all the time, extension cords. Stop using extension chords all over the place. It's mind boggling. Some of these houses I go to that just have extension chords to space heaters, have space heaters all over the place. I did win this winter. They had extension chords going to a space heater and they were using a space heater to dry their clothes and clothes on top of the space heater. And I call them all in and I go, what are you doing. They're like, we're drying our clothes. I'm like, dude, you're going to burn your house down. And kill everyone in your like, you cannot do that. So extension cords space heaters are huge. These are big issues. If you're not electrician, don't be an electrician, don't do anything electrical.
Speaker 1: And for those of us who are not electricians, I am someone who owns extension cords and space heaters, not that they're I'm using them in that conjunction right now, I'm not. What is it specifically about the extension cords and the space heaters that pose a fire risk.
Speaker 2: Extension cords people don't buy the right one. They'll use like a cheap one.
Speaker 1: Basically people are buying whatever off of Amazon, or they go to home depot and to power something like a space heater, which takes a lot more power and that's just causing kind of like maybe it's sparking or it's overheating or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and put them on a GFCI ground full circuit interruptor if there's a surge, it's going to say oh oh, and it shuts itself off. That's your added protection on it. And never leave a house or don't even leave a room. What a space heater running? Yeah, you know. The better ones that people use are the oil filled ones, the ones with the red coils, and those cheap ones. Please don't like the worst. Use them outside in the backyard on concrete to warm your feet. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Some redemption for me. I do have an oil so that's really great to hear.
Speaker 4: Fire safety is one of those things people feel like they've already handled. It's easy to write like, yeah, yeah, we have a smoke detector somewhere, but the reality is a lot of them aren't even working. Three out of five home fire deaths happen in homes without working smoke alarms, not missing, just not working. So that's dead batteries, disconnected units, or ones that are just too old.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then there's the stuff that Joe mentioned, like extension cords, overloaded outlets, space heaters, the things that you know, we don't even think about. They're everyday things. They don't feel like they're dangerous until they really really are. It's kind of wild to hear how many risks come down to convenience, like oh, I'll just plug one more thing in, or it's okay to dry clothes near this space heater.
Speaker 3: Yeah not so much, Okay.
Speaker 1: Carbon monoxide is one of the few dangers in your homes. That gives you absolutely nothing to work with. Right, there's no smell, there's no color, there's no warning signs. So, Joe, I want to come back to CO two detectors. Is there a way to place them specifically that ups their efficacy? And if so, where exactly should we place them?
Speaker 2: Not on the floor five feet up? I have one on the mid wall. I have one on the ceiling. You know, it's a little bit lighter than air, so it's going to go up, it's going to rise a little bit. Listen, it's better than nothing. They work. They work perfectly fine, the ones that plug in on the wall. As long as you have them in your house, it's important, especially the garage. Yeah, you really should have one in the garage. And your garage door should be a fire rated self closing door on top of all of that.
Speaker 1: So obviously the cars are one example of where COE two can come from. Where else in our house can see you two come from? And how can we just like make sure we're mitigating it at every point in addition to detecting it when it does arise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your heating system, you know, most are in the basement. Depends on your house. Wherever the heating system is, put a smoke in carbonoxide detector in that room. That's going to produce it. That's it right there. If the flu is clogged where the exhaust go out, it's going to back into your home right there, that'll go off and give you heads up if you have it in your attic, if a furnace in your attic, put one in you're attic. Those are the two main spots. And fireplace in your firepolice room that can produce carbon monoxide as well.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back after a quick.
Speaker 1: Break, and we're back with more grown up stuff.
Speaker 2: How do adult?
Speaker 1: This is scary stuff. The CDC reports hundreds of deaths every year from carbon monoxide poisoning, tens of thousands of ur visits. And it's usually not some rare scenario like it's furnaces and garages, fireplaces, especially in the colder months when everything's closed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is.
Speaker 4: One of those risks where detection is the only defense. Like not to be all smoky the bear about it, but truly the only thing that's going to make me feel less anxious about this is actually being prepared. So that brings me to another colorless, odorless gas rate on. It feels like one of those things that people vaguely know about but not enough to.
Speaker 3: Really act on. I'm certainly one of those people.
Speaker 4: So we asked Joe, what is it exactly?
Speaker 3: Who needs to test for it?
Speaker 4: And if we should all be as worried about it as I am.
Speaker 1: Only you can prevent radon.
Speaker 3: Just let my neurosis fly.
Speaker 2: Right on breakdown of uranium in the ground, so when you walk outside, you're inhaling it, you're spelling it this and that, but it's dissipated into the atmosphere right on. Is a colorless, orderless guess. You can't see it, can't smell it. It seeps into your foundation, into your lowest livable space, and it just hang out there. How to mitigate it in a natural way without putting a system in open a window, airflow, let it go out of the house itself. Right there, They say, second leading cause of lung cancer long term exposure. Everyone should test for it, period. I've had houses that were ten times a limit. I mean just through the roof where I walked out if I was glowing. But everyone should test for it. That's it really be on a safe side. And I always tell people too, when I go to your house if it's an unfinished basement, and I go, look, your levels were so and so they were just below the threshold of four point zero, where the EPA says they want to have a reduction system put in. A mitigation system put in that costs about two thousand bucks, give or take, depending on where you live. I said, do you plan on finishing your basement? And they said, yeah, we're going to finish it. And I go, when you're done finishing it, I want you to call me back. I'm going to come over here. I'm going to do another test, because now you just major basement completely air tight. I said that to thousands of people, and that one person called me back to do one. I threw it out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean you did your part out of curiosity. How do you test for it too? Is it like a special machine or something?
Speaker 2: There are machines. I have two canisters that I bring okay, and I just take a sticker off of that, leave them there and go back, you know, two days up to seven days max, close them up, bring them to the lab, and I get the results.
Speaker 4: Okay, is this something I can go to the hardware store and buy myself, or do I need somebody like you to come and do it for me.
Speaker 2: You could buy them online. Oh okay, the ones from the lab are a lot better.
Speaker 4: I mean, I trust you. Let's be very clear, I would trust you much more than I trust myself.
Speaker 2: And don't forget. Like, if you're in a building, don't even worry about it, you know, because your upper levels once it gets up, like if you're on the third floor or second floor, once it gets there, you know, it's kind of out of there.
Speaker 1: So I really only thought that houses with basements had to worry about rad on, So I'm glad that we cleared that up.
Speaker 3: I had no idea.
Speaker 4: But also we learned that levels can vary house by house, so just because your neighbor is fine doesn't mean that you are. I think, just to be safe, I'm going to open the windows in my apartment even.
Speaker 3: More often, just in case if there's.
Speaker 4: Any rate on, it'll just get to vent right out and be out in the world and not in this apartment.
Speaker 1: Or to give Lee a little bit more peace of mind, you could all so test for it.
Speaker 3: I don't love a test.
Speaker 1: In the same kind of vein as like Leah was asking about, can I go to home depot or something and buy a radon test kit? Can you do the same thing with mold.
Speaker 2: Have somebody come in and do it.
Speaker 1: Have somebody come in.
Speaker 2: You could buy the surface sample tests. You can do that there, But if you're gonna do it, bring someone in to really test for it the air where it's going to a professional lab. It's really getting analyzed. When you do mold testing, you need your baseline, and your baseline is outside. So you're gonna do your test outside in the air, five minutes, ten minutes. However you're gonna run it. You know, there's different tests. Then you come inside and you're doing Now you're controlled one on the inside, on all the levels and whatnot. You want those two to be different. If the outside is hide or low, you want them to be different. If you're way higher than the outside, you got a big problem. Yeah, So that's why I tell people you have to clean the filters for your furnaces and your central air systems and even the wall use if you're renting an apartment and whatnot, you have to clean those vents. That's your first line of defence. On nastiness coming in your house. Yeah, and the duckworks that have the panting on the inside. It's like, whoever invented that should be just sent to an island and left there for dead with sharks and spiders, the whole nine.
Speaker 1: And that leads me to my next question, which is, Leah, do you know what the most common insurance claim in the United States is?
Speaker 4: I obviously do not, but I'm glad that you do, because I know you're about to tell me. So, Matt, I want what is the most common insurance claim in the US.
Speaker 3: It's water, that sneaky devil.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: And you know what.
Speaker 4: Water, She's the kind of thing that, like, doesn't just start a problem because of a big disaster, something like Hurricane Sandy. No, no, no, she's sneaky. Problems are going to start as something small, like a clogged gutter or a bad slope in your yard, or a broken sump pump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then one day it rains just hard enough and suddenly it's not so small a problem anymore. So we asked Joe what someone should know about the perils of water, particularly if you live in a flood zone.
Speaker 2: If you're in a flood zone, leave, move, get the heck out of Dodge. Water is the worst. I actually told the client, don't buy this house, and right away I put it right into my agreement. I told Ding Dong not to buy this house. He bought the house. He goes, why I go. I grew up here, dude, I grew up on the top of the hill. You're at the bottom. You are going to have water on your second floor. I guarantee you that there's a major, major storm. He goes, that's impossible. You don't believe me. Fine, I do the inspection, ida happens. The news comes on his area. Forget it. Two days later, my wife's like, where you go? And I go, I'm going to the flats. She goes, why I go? Because I want to go see that house that I said don't buy. The water was in his second floor bedroom. His house was de roid gone. They had to demolish it. It was done.
Speaker 1: And obviously there's not much you can do about a river that's gonna flood the second floor of your home. But let's just say, you know, what are some things you could do preventative?
Speaker 2: Yeah, some pumps, drainage on the outside, and drainage on the inside, hands down across the board. If you're getting water, you're not getting water. Put a sum pump into your house to make sure you're not going to have a situation. If your basement is wide open and you plan on finishing it, put perimeter drainage on the inside to a some pump or two, just to be preventive, because water will find its path and decide to come in at anyone given time. If the land on the outside of your house is pitched too, if you have negative grade and it's pitched to the home, put drainage at the base of that going all the way around and figure out a spot where you can put a dry well in or divert it to your neighbor's backyard or your neighbor's basement. Give it to them figure out Just getting joking, joking, but yeah, getting some pumps in the basement is a solid investment to protect your big investment of the home and get leak detectors.
Speaker 1: So a lot of what Joe is talking about is controlling where water goes before it decides for you. Water damage and mold. It's a costly problem, not only to your wallet, but your health, which is why so much of what he talked about isn't just reaction, it's prevention.
Speaker 4: I want to ask about another element, which is electricity. What are things that we should actually be paying attention to when it comes to potential electrical problems.
Speaker 2: If you see a spark ar, core electrician right away, Yeah, bedrooms, kitchen, laundry room, garage, outside ground fault, circul interruptor. So if something does hit it, that's water related, or there's a surge and automatically trips and shuts it off. So that's your first line of defense right there. If your light's dim they go on, they're dimming, they're constantly doing that. You're pulling too much power. A lot of houses do that. You have to be careful with that because it happened here where the lights were going in and out, going in and out, and that's your house talking to you. Your house will talk to you and you have to answer it. It might sound weird, but you have to answer it. So I came downstairs and I was like, let me go to my electrical panel and just have a look inside. Now. Number one rule, whenever you go to the electrical panel, never grab the door because it's a metal door. With live wires inside. If it is live, you're stuck and done right. So I just do you give it a tap with the back of your hand. I tapped it with the back of my hand and the whole panel was live. It just blasted me back water was getting it to the electrical panel.
Speaker 3: Wow, whoa, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So obviously, when you're buying a home, you want to do a full home inspection. But are there other moments in your life you know that people might want to consider doing reassessment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five years in is a good time to do it. And it's not a full home inspection. I don't even need to give them a report. It's a walk and talk, you know. I said, grab your coffee, grab your pad and your phone, let's go for a walk and talk. I'll do all the major components in the house, the roof, the attic, the heating, the cooling, the hot warder heater, the basement, look for any mold, this and that, make sure everything's operating properly the outside of the house, and that's it.
Speaker 4: I want to ask just about renters as well, because I mean, one of the perks I would say of being a renter is like, well, I don't own this, so this is someone else's problem, but actually I do live here, so it is my problem. So is there something that like renters should do be thinking about, like what are the things that they should know about their living space.
Speaker 2: I've never had a renter come to me and say, hey, Joe, I'm going to rent this place, can you do a home inspection on it? And it's a good question. Actually, it should be in a contract for every house that's being rented that they have to have it inspected. No one ever does it.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad of having this conversation because I've lived in this apartment for fourteen years and my wife and I are expecting our first kid soon congrats. And there has been water damage in different units and stuff, and I haven't had any serious health of anything, but I'm like part of it. There's a nagging like is there mold like just in the air, And I guess that My answer is we're having a kid. I shouldn't have someone come out here because I don't think the building's not going.
Speaker 2: To do it. Did you have water in your place?
Speaker 1: We had some?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well how they fix it?
Speaker 1: They kind of didn't really, I mean it was it was leaking a lot more.
Speaker 4: Inspector Joe doesn't even have to come there to know, just.
Speaker 1: Like I can smell them mold through the screen.
Speaker 2: I see it behind you all over. Yeah, you can't just flap a quote of paint on mold. If mold hits sheet rock, you got to get behind her, take the sheet rock down, you got to take the insulation out. You have to treat it.
Speaker 1: And they have. But I think the thing I'm like, I don't think that they fixed the underlying issue.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could have your duck works clean. When I what about the filters, I'll often you place them. We'll replaced those every six months, all right, drop it to three. Okay, it's better for you, better for the family of the environment, you know. And if you really want to step it up, you're gonna spend money. You can get a UV light for your system and that'll kill the bacteria and some mold sports that are coming through as well.
Speaker 1: For the duck system.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay.
Speaker 1: And then we also like our home is so poorly insulated, like I mean, air just comes in through the casement windows and because they're all wooded and they're warped, and yeah, like get out.
Speaker 2: I told you, Matt, you can have water and it's third floor next week. There's really not much you can to be able to do with that since you don't own it, other than move. But I wouldn't worry about that so much. At least you haven't good airflow.
Speaker 1: But Joe, it's rent control is hard to define in Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: Now, if it's rent controlled, then stay there. If you have mold, don't worry about it. You'll be fine. Little mold and asbestos and lad never killed anyone. There we go, just kidding.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, Matt.
Speaker 4: We will all pitch in to help with your move before we wrap this up. I think we need Joe to give us some homework. Yes, I am that girl who always was like, what's our homework for tonight?
Speaker 1: Teacher?
Speaker 3: So here we go.
Speaker 4: I think something like a project management timeline of things that we need to keep top of mind that's probably going to be helpful, Like what are the things around our homes that maybe we put a little reminder in our phones or something that we know at this time we need to update or check or.
Speaker 3: Call somebody for gutters.
Speaker 2: Make sure your gutters are clean. I say this word a lot first line of defence, right, a lot of things are your first line of defense against water, mold, and whatnot. So if your gutters are dirty, they're going to overflow, right, They're gonna eat your foundation wall. Then you're gonna go in your basement. If gutters are completely clogged up, they're gonna fill up faster with ice. If you have an older roof, you're going to get ice damming back into your house, and you're gonna get mold. So definitely, especially in ra area here in New York, you want to clean the gutters at least twice a year. You know, after the fall obviously we gotta eight clean those gutters because they're going to be clogged up no matter what. Outside the house. If you have drains in your driveway, that is important to do once a month go out there and take a look at the drain in your driveway because once again, first line of defensive water getting into your basement, into your garage itself. Clean those out. Test your some pumps every six months. It doesn't hurt to test them out. Have a backup battery the some pumps too. If you don't have a full house generator, because if you lose power. The some pump is not going to work, and then you're gonna have water the land on the outside of the home. Look for termites, look for pests on the outside. Don't stuff mulch dirt up your siding. I mean I see it a lot where the siding touches the mulch on the outside. They do this in a lot of developments. They think more is better. And now that that's just a perfect little line, a humid line that's going to go right up underneath your siding, and everything's gonna crawl into your house soon, into your bed with you at night.
Speaker 4: No thank you, unless I invite you myself. No thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you don't want that. Yeah, but that's the big one. On the outside. It's drainage and gutters on the outside. Trimming back trees from the siding. You can do that once a year, depending on how much you have going on out there, once twice a year. Keep them eighteen inches off the house, at least a foot off the house. Let the house breathe once again. Spiders and this and that and bugs, they can jump onto your house easier that way and get inside. Filters. Replace your filters for your heating and cooling system every one to three months, depending on the occupants. So how many pets you have, how many carpets you have in the house, having your heating and cooling system serviced once a year, those are the most important things to do.
Speaker 1: So I think we got to we want to close it out and ask for everyone listening, what is one thing every adult should check in their home tonight after listening to.
Speaker 2: This tonight, how can I stress people out? Joey, Joey buzzkill tonight, go home. If you're living in a house, go into the basement. Look in all the corners of the basement with a flashlight. Look to see if there's any black spores. Look to see if there's any water that could have accumulated there, any effluorescence on the walls, which is a powdery substance that comes through the foundation walls. It's just water mineral deposits that come through. Do that start there.
Speaker 4: You gave us so many amazing tips already, but anything we didn't touch on that you do want to stress to homeowners, like don't think that this isn't a problem now or could be down the road, or just like something to be aware of.
Speaker 2: Just don't become complacent with your house. Just because the house is operating perfectly fine today doesn't mean it's going to be operating perfectly fine tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: So as we get ready to say goodbye to Joe, I just want to say he's given me a lot to think about, along to do, list of things to check and test and fixed. So we're so grateful that he took the time to share his expertise with us. I feel like we made the world a little safer today. I don't know about you, Leah, but until I develop superhuman abilities of detecting mold by just walking into a room, I think I'm going to give Joe a call and hire some old professionals to come out and test my apartment.
Speaker 4: If you don't think I spent the weekend doing a deep clean of my apartment and immediately texted my super about all of the detectors in not only my unit but the building. I think you could probably tell my anxiety went through the roof.
Speaker 3: But then I did feel better.
Speaker 4: I felt a lot better after, because then I was like, look, knowledge is power, and so here we are, and so it's just about.
Speaker 3: This is what I apen bes on top of these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 4: As always, I learned a ton so thank you so much to Joe Maza. You can find him online and on social media at Joe Maza Home Inspections.
Speaker 1: Joe Maza Inspector to the Stars. Thank you so much for joining us. Yes, sir, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Joe join us again.
Speaker 4: In two weeks we'll be talking about all the things you need to know about being laid off. Number one, You're not alone, But until then, good luck being a grown up.
Speaker 1: This is a production of Ruby Studio from iHeartMedia.
Speaker 3: I'm Matt Stillough and I'm Leah Palmery.
Speaker 4: This episode was produced by Pamela Lawrence. Our post producer is Sierra Spreen, with additional engineering by Mac Wuido.
Speaker 1: And we want to thank all our teammates at Ruby Studio, including Sarah You, Ethan Fixel, Rachus, Wan Krasnov, Ludia kim Em, Dylan Harper, Wayne, Deborah Garrett, and Andy Kelly.