Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we're ready to talk about the best division in football. I'm Greg Rosenthal. I'm in the Chris Wesseling podcast studio for the first time in a minute with Jordan Rodrigue. It is nice to be here together. It is nice to reach the end of the road on our division preview series. Do you agree, Jordan? With me positing this is the best division in football.
Speaker 2: I think it is because, like I mentioned, there's no dangling participles of teams here.
Speaker 3: There's no sort of just like, and then there's this team.
Speaker 1: There's like... I mean, you can say the name Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or Raiders.
Speaker 1: Or Raiders. I think the other options would be the Western divisions.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Those would be the three best divisions. But... Maybe the NFC West has the best teams at the top. When I say best division, I want quality like you're saying throughout. Any team could finish first. Any team could finish fourth. Could any one of these teams make the Super Bowl? We'll dive into that later. Jordan Rodriguez says she has a surprising division winner. And I don't know who that would be.
Speaker 3: I already forgot.
Speaker 1: I mean, at the end of the show, you're going to have to remember. Here's what we do. Every division preview. And this is our eighth. 12 minutes on the board. Bunch of different categories. And at the end of the preview, we will pick the order of the division. Let's start with the Chicago Bears alphabetically by city. They haven't moved cities yet. Gary would come in third alphabetically or second alphabetically, but Chicago is first. What is bringing you joy about the Chicago Bears?
Speaker 3: Self-awareness, Greg.
Speaker 2: And that is the self-awareness of head coach Ben Johnson, who might seem a little scary and Terminator-like at times, but he's very, very self-aware.
Speaker 3: His comments..
Speaker 2: About being the quote unquote top regression candidate were not just a rebuttal to Liam Cohen's beef of the week. It was actually a nod to how splash moment or high leverage moment that the Bears were actually dependent on throughout the 2025 season and why playing sustainably is going to be more into what they need to do in 2026. I liked how self-aware he was. It wasn't even like a... you know, oh, I'm into the analytics or anything like that. I mean, maybe he reads the FTN Almanac, which was a great publication that is released every summer. But for me, it was like, oh, yeah, no, you're very clear on what needs to happen for this team moving forward.
Speaker 1: I love an offseason priority. That makes sense. Because this has been the message from him from March on, specifically with Caleb Williams, that, you know, we need to start hitting the singles. We need to start playing better in the first and second quarter so we don't need the drama. And yet, where you say self-awareness, you could flip it and read your colleague Dan Pompei's article with Ben Johnson and say bravado. I mean, he also wants to be the best offense in NFL history. I mean, who doesn't?
Speaker 3: It's okay to have goals.
Speaker 1: Sure. But the way he's saying it is like, I don't just want to be the best offense. I want to be the best offense in history. I know what the numbers are. I know that it's not just total points. I want to beat them in points per game. I mean, they got some issues, but to have that kind of chutzpah, I would say we've got the division leading amount of chutzpah among the head coaches. We've got the two teams that lead the league in fourth downs, like in terms of going for it. I think LeFleur and Kevin O'Connell, plenty of chutzpah there, but yeah, I love the bravado.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love that all of these guys ended up in the same division together and they all have to play each other because it's like now Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan are like, oh, we're friends, da, da, da, da, da, in the NFC West. But this is like, no, I would prefer to chop that guy's head off in the NFC North.
Speaker 3: And that's one of the things that's bringing me joy.
Speaker 1: Most important non-quarterback. I'll go first with Colston Loveland.
Speaker 3: Dang, that's who I wrote. And then I put something else, but yes, continue.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, that's good that you put something else. Cause I don't want, that's the only reason I took it first is because that's the one I really wanted. You know, when he says the goal of, of being the best offense ever, that seems crazy. When like Khalif Raymond or rookie Xavion Thomas is your third receiver. There's pretty major questions at left tackle at center and You want Caleb to get better. The talent doesn't speak to that level of play. But Ben Johnson's play calling and the ascension of his young players could make it happen. But all those receivers are put down in the order because Colston Loveland is the one. And for them to reach the levels that I think Ben Johnson needs to hit. I think Colston Loveland has to be, if not the best tight end in the league, like right there in that conversation. And he is the guy I think they're building the offense through other than Caleb Williams. He showed down the stretch last season for a rookie tight end. He can handle that. I think he was almost at that level. It's really just doing it again and building on what he did a year ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love it too, because they've declared their intent really with the Also, how they went out and drafted and they're going to have as many tight ends as possible up because they're going to build the plane out of Colston Loveland in the run and the pass game. And so I love that because this is one of the few teams in the NFL who I think could very, very capably move between those 11, 12 and 13 personnel packages when he's talking about wanting to be the best offensive all time and the most productive ever. If you can't basically blow the playbook wide open in this way, you are limited in some fashion and maybe wouldn't have that much of a chance to do it. This is gone are the days where you're going to be sticking in 11 the entire time or even 12 the entire time. Like this is a team led by Colston Loveland, who I suspect is going to be one of those, you know, I would call it in my educational experience, the F player team. for example, which basically can flip between multiple positions along the receiving surface and multiple positions along the running surface. And basically all of your strength of plays is dictated by wherever that person is on the field. To me, that is Colston Loveland. And he's one of the most exciting young players we have in football right now.
Speaker 1: Good backup in Cole Comet. Third round pick you alluded to at tight end and Sam Roush. So it's a deep room, but he's the most important guy. If we were doing preseason all pro teams, You know, maybe he's my second team tight end behind Trey McBride. I can't take out McBride right now, but we'll see. Who's your most important non-quarterback?
Speaker 3: Whoever the hell is playing left tackle.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And really, to me, it's still a huge question mark. And it's a problem that it's still a huge question mark. They have four guys currently competing. And if and when Ozzy Trapilo ends up coming back from this injury after he's practicing in a very, very limited capacity.
Speaker 1: Second round pick who is believed to be the future.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And played well when he got in the game.
Speaker 2: But now they've got so potentially by October, they'll have up to five guys competing for this left tackle spot.
Speaker 3: You know, Braxton Jones, I would think, would have.
Speaker 2: To be like the leader in the clubhouse, but it hasn't looked great for any of these guys. And the fact that it's still such an open battle is very, very concerning for me. But that becomes so, so important because that player, the run game, the pass game, all the things that Ben Johnson says he wants to do, it's going to really be a factor of whoever that guy is going to be. So I make him the most important right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that totally makes sense to me. And it's easier to hide one guy on your offensive line than it is to. So if Garrett Bradbury, who's their center, can hold up. And there's questions about him or their second round pick, Logan Jones, who might eventually be at center. You know, they're going to be he's between two great guards and Joe Tooney and Jonah Jackson. You have a great young right tackle. You gave huge money to like they have real pieces. Then maybe you can cover up one spot. If it ends up being two spots, then then the offense has a problem. Scheme dream. I always let you go first, except for when I don't, because. This is just where you feel the most joy.
Speaker 3: It is, yeah.
Speaker 2: Run game in year two for me. The two-back system in DeAndre Swift and Kyle Menungai, it took a couple weeks.
Speaker 3: Kyle Menung dude, as.
Speaker 1: We like to call him.
Speaker 2: It took a couple weeks for it to come to fruition the way that they wanted it to. Once it did and once it started rolling, it was like one of the most fun and most productive run games we've seen in like 2020 onward. And I think that that's going to be really fun when you think about what you talked about in terms of Colston Loveland and your most important player. in just creating and moving different gaps and attack points for the defense with a two-back system. So it's not just that you're throwing all of this pre-snap and at-snap movement and changing assignments at the defense in a system that on paper looks like it should be simple, but because Ben Johnson likes to throw these little wrinkles into it.
Speaker 3: Is not simple at all. Plus features really good players.
Speaker 2: And then now you're throwing multiple players to prepare for and multiple, um, skill guys also involved in it to prepare for. I just think this is going to be, I cannot wait to see your two of a run system like this is usually when it fully like, you know, reveals itself for what it's going to be. And I think they have a chance to be dominant.
Speaker 1: Are you a Swifty?
Speaker 3: I am a Swifty.
Speaker 2: I'm a Swifty.
Speaker 1: You like DeAndre?
Speaker 3: I'm a Swifty, yes. And I also am a Monong dude as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Swifty. DeAndre Swift. What a come up that Ben Johnson believes in him. I think at this time a year ago, I did not believe in him. And he looked really good in this offense. And he's a guy. I did my one and only fantasy draft on Monday night. And I was like, when he got taken near me, I was like, oh, I would have liked DeAndre Swift. I'm going to go things go wrong. if the defense like looks as bad as it looks, they are projected to be the worst defense in the league, according to DVOA, like in terms of efficiency. And that's because they were great on third down last year and terrible on first and second. And that tends to not be sticky at all. They turn the ball over like crazy. That tends to be not as sticky. Although Dennis Allen's had a pretty good career with having defenses that turn the ball over. But they lost Jaquan Brisker. They lost Nashawn Wright. They lost Kevin Byer. They lost Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. And then all the guys that are supposed to replace him. And this is, you know, such a nickel-heavy, man-heavy defense. Kyle Gordon's hurt. Tyreek Stevenson's hurt right now. Elijah Hicks, they said that wasn't a serious injury. He's been out a month. And then their big safety addition, who's Stacey Dales, our friend said Kobe Bryant was taking charge of that defense. That literally he was going to be their leader, their appointed leader. captain on the back end. He's out for the season. And so you're asking like a rookie Dylan Thienemann to carry a lot of weight. And just in general, I just don't know if they have the players, that linebacker either.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the other thing they didn't do was change their front structure very much. They're basically saying we're going to roll with the guys that we have along this defensive line and trust that they continue to take a step forward. Well, one thing that goes unsaid in all of that commentary is that they were built back to front. They were really built, even though they let those defensive backs go and free agency and sign elsewhere and brought in new players, they still were built back to front. Dennis Allen was predicated. His system is predicated on like what I mentioned at the top high leverage plays where you're taking, where you're taking away the ball. Um, they were explosive to, or excuse me, they were susceptible to explosive pass plays, but they led the league in drives ending with turnovers and had the highest turnover rate of the 2020 so far. That's for our friends at the FTN football almanac. And so they're masters of the big moment, right? My things go wrong. If is attached to yours in that way. if that does not sustain a little bit better, if they're not better on first and second down, if they're not better against the run, if they're not so dependent on specifically turnovers in on the defensive side and then also on the offensive side, they were built around the big moment on offense as well. And I loved how good their run game really came along and looked. But in the passing game, we all remember the end of the game heroics and the flash stuff that really was exciting to watch. But getting more sustainable down-to-down play, staying more efficient down-to-down. One thing I appreciated about what this coaching staff and the players are doing is focusing more on end-of-half management, too. All of these things are very, very important to making sure you're not so dependent on splash and you can hit more doubles.
Speaker 1: And you just need guys who can win. And up front, that's a big concern. So it's Montez Sweat rushing the passer. And Bears fans could argue, and they're right. They're still built back to front. Jalen Johnson is a great in-his-prime cornerback. Kyler Gordon, they just need him to be healthy. You have a first-round pick in Thienemann. Stevenson, I don't think that's a long-term injury. So there's still hope that they can be a good secondary, but they're going to have to be because I don't think the rest of the defense... I never gave a scheme dream. I just forgot. And it's just kind of like, what's next level for Ben Johnson? You talked about the end. But they were third in pace last year. They were second in the league in going for it on fourth. It's improving Caleb's accuracy. Just like, what's the next step for Ben Johnson? Let's get to the ceiling and the floor as we wrap up every team. Do you think this team can make the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think their ceiling is repeat winners too, of the NFC North. That, that would be the ceiling for me. Um, I think the floor is third in the NFC North. Uh, I don't think they could have, to me, they're too well coached and too talented now in key areas and particularly loaded on offense to where they could really stumble far enough to finish last in the division. But I do think that their schedule is doing them obviously no favors. And that's one of the things that Ben Johnson was pointing to is I'm not usually like, oh, but the schedule kind of a thing before the guys actually are on the grass. But this is a tough schedule. It's the toughest schedule in terms of strength of opponent.
Speaker 1: It is a division where I'm going to pull a Jordan and say, I think the floor of every one of these teams is last in the division. I mean, which isn't even that hard to take when you see how close the division was last year.
Speaker 3: The old Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: Right. That I, I think, I think you could conceivably see any direction of this team. I don't think they're like the floor could fall out, but I think they could fall down to eight or nine wins. And maybe that's last place in this division. Like an eight win team might, might come in last place. In this division. It's possible. The schedule, you're absolutely right. They could all end up clustered in the middle. Let's get to the Lions, who I think hit their four last year. They only won nine games after winning 15 the year before. How about just Dan Campbell with a chip on his shoulder? That's bringing me joy. You know, we got a little bored with the Lions on some level. Like we understand that story. It was a bummer to see them take such a big step back. He knows the Ben Johnson divorce went bad. A lot of the things we attributed to Ben Johnson, like the trick plays and the total aggression, like they cranked it up last year in Detroit. If anything, they did it more to varying degrees. you know, degrees of success, their problems were really on the defense. So I just like Goff, Campbell, this group, which has been together so long, just having a little bit of FU energy to them this year. They're no longer the darlings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I like having a little bit of the carrot at the end of the stick for a group like this too, where.
Speaker 3: They're not really... Of course, the goals are Super Bowl and all of these things.
Speaker 2: They're a little bit more battle-scarred, and I think the goal for them isn't just winning more, but also respect and making sure..
Speaker 1: They've seen some things.
Speaker 3: They've seen some things.
Speaker 1: They've had some heartbreak.
Speaker 3: They've seen some things.
Speaker 2: And Dan Campbell has really felt the, what did he say... it was a Nietzsche reference. First, you must burn to ash and walk through the other side. And I was like, Oh, so he's really going through some stuff.
Speaker 1: He's an emotional guy. And it means so much to him. It reminds me a little of what you documented so well with Sean McVay back a few years. Like if, if they struggle, like he, he's going to feel it, but I don't think they necessarily will. What's bringing you joy?
Speaker 2: Well, you kind of mentioned it. They're a feel your feelings team. And I love that. I love when we get these rare, uh, hard on their sleeves type of organizations and efforts. And I think that's what the Detroit Lions is. it's part of how they captivated the country as much as they did early on in the Dan Campbell, Brad Holmes era. And I think they still are that team and they still are capable of these things. And I like the idea of being a big feel your feelings group without having the weight and the heaviness of expectations on them and the looming specter of what had just happened to them the year before.
Speaker 1: And they weren't as bad last year as people think when you dig, like they could have easily been an 11 win type of team. Let's go to the most important non-quarterback. To me, I had two offensive options because ultimately I think it's an offensive team. Do you have either Blake Miller or Sam Laporta as one of your picks?
Speaker 3: No, I do not.
Speaker 2: But I see you, Blake Miller or Sam Laporta, and I raise you, Hank Fraley. the offensive line coach. It's not really cheating. You said we could, you said we could pick. So I went over.
Speaker 1: I've done like an offensive line coach in the past.
Speaker 2: I'm going, I'm going overarching because I think that we know we don't even have to say it at this point. It's like, we are, we all know this, but just to repeat it, Jared Goff is one of the best passers in the NFL when he's not pressured, when he is pressured, it falls off a cliff. So I feel like, first of all, this, this offensive line, the way that it is with Panay Sewell moving back over to the left side, Blake Miller, the rookie playing on the right side, obviously he's one of your most important players. And then making sure that juice Scruggs, who seems to be the lead off option at center here, um, because Cade Mays is already hurt and is not expected to be back until maybe October, if not a little bit later, that was their big free agent signing, um, to replace Frank Ragnow after Frank Ragnow retired. So like a lot has happened to this group, um, over the last several months, and they were below expectation of what we're used to seeing from them last season. And so Hank Fraley coming into this role, but then also doing some of the run game coordination as well. All of this is so, so, so important because when this team runs the ball well, and when it protects Jared Goff, they are damn hard to stop.
Speaker 1: Blake Miller, you mentioned, was the first round pick. He's going to play right tackle. If he's a solid starter and Sewell... takes to the transition well. I mean, that's a great way to start your offensive line. And the optimist case would be the offensive line wasn't that good last year. And they were top five in giving up pressure rate on early downs last year. And so there's room to improve. And their offense was still pretty good despite the offensive line problems. I'll go quickly on Laporta, who already has a hip injury. similar to my argument with Colston Loveland. He's not as dynamic, I don't think, in the running game, but he has improved. But I think the offense, like in Chicago, these two teams really mirror each other in a lot of ways, needs to be special. And I think Jamison Williams at wide receiver can take another step up. We know who Amon Ross St. Brown is. We know who Jameer Gibbs is. I think they need Laporta to get to special, They can still be really, really good, but that's an injury that's now been lingering for a long time. He's missed some time as a pro. He might not be ready for week one. I just think he puts them over the top where they could be top three, top five offense. I don't think they make sense as a team anymore. in terms of what they want to do, unless they're a top five offense. You go first on scheme dream. Yeah. As usual, you're always batting lead off.
Speaker 2: Well, it's nice that you set me up in a, in a positive way there, Greg, because Sam Laporta becomes really crucial to specifically what Drew Petzing likes to do and what he wants to do as an offensive coordinator. Drew Petzing is the former offensive coordinator in Arizona. What do you really like to do? And he's of the Kubiak specific tree. So there's some crossover between Kubiak, Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan. There's all these like, you know, replicas.
Speaker 1: Of all the, they all kept hiring each other and working for.
Speaker 2: Each other and having kids. And then those kids would hire each other and.
Speaker 1: Not with each other. That's medically impossible. Sure. Like biologically.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that. Very important clarification. Um, I don't think that our listeners would have found that to be as obvious unless you really explain that.
Speaker 1: You could adopt.
Speaker 2: Um, so, so, Drew Patsing is of the Kubiak system. And so he really appreciates tight ends and running the offense through focal points at tight end or heavier personnel. So a lot of 12 personnel, two tight ends or 13 personnel, three tight ends when they were in Arizona and then really establishing bits and bobs at receiver kind of around all of that. But those guys are the focal point. So without Sam Laporta, that becomes obviously very concerning. And then he has to change and evolve a little bit because Amon Ra is as skilled as they come. And so maybe they treat him maybe like a hybrid tight end or like a power slot, like our friend Nate Tice likes to see. I think that Drew Petzing is a really good fit for what Jared Goff likes to do. Some of the longer bootlegs and the keepers, some of the, a ton of the play action that.
Speaker 3: Will still remain the same.
Speaker 2: And I think that it's really a good thing that the Lions have an experienced play caller again.
Speaker 3: Those are the main.
Speaker 2: Benefits in the ads to me that I think are positive in terms of my scheme dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wanted to just believe in Dan Campbell's ability to hire last year because he's been so good. But you look at great coaches that they're not all home runs. And it didn't work out last year. And it was as big a deal as everyone was making it out to be in the offseason. It took some time to get that offense going. My scheme dream is how much... does Kelvin Shepard, the defensive coordinator, evolve? They're a very dramatic team. They love to rush three. They love to rush six. Like, nothing in between. Like, big blitzes, top of the league. Only rushing three and dropping everyone back into coverage, most in the league. They have three linebackers on the field, most in the league. They don't have three good linebackers right now, so that's a little worrisome. Like, they're starting Devin White right now. That gets into my things go wrong if. Certainly, they don't play... nickel date, which is means five defensive backs on the field. They play that the least they love to have a big, you know, stack the box, stop the run. It's, it's just dramatic. And I think it's risky kind of like a Dennis Allen defense. Again, these teams are mirrors.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I think it's a boom or bust type of defense. So how does Kelvin Shepard year two calling plays play? Evolve, I think, is big. And that gets into like the things go wrong if for me, which is just the back seven of this defense linebacker and the secondary getting absolutely flamed on paper. This is a rough looking linebacker in defensive back group until the safeties get healthy. I would posit if you were just drafting talent and you go linebacker and and definitely the secondary before Joseph and you know, Branch get back. I mean, it's a bottom five group.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a huge concern to me because Kirby Joseph and Brian Branch, they might miss into week one.
Speaker 3: We don't know. We don't really.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think so. Yeah. The hope is that maybe Branch in September, Joseph, who knows?
Speaker 3: We don't have like a real timeline.
Speaker 2: And obviously because of his legal situation, Terry and Arnold, who was depth at this point was released and he was more, you know, playing corner.
Speaker 3: But it's for me, you cannot.
Speaker 2: This this is incongruous of a group based on where football is right now. Like, They found this out and Kevin Shepherd even talked about this, this spring where they found out that you cannot play base the way that they played base defense. So the three linebackers on the field, you cannot play it this way when your division has such good tight end play. When so many players are in these mismatches coming either out of the slot and they're the tight end, or they are the gigantic receiver or the mismatch receiver placed in the slot.
Speaker 3: You can't play that way.
Speaker 2: What a lot of teams around the league are going to be doing this year is maybe staying in base to defend the run which is the two linebackers but they will also then put a buffalo nickel or a star player so a larger safety usually a safety who can cover in the slot so when they're saying it's base what they're really doing is playing base nickel so really what they have to be doing is loading up their defensive backfield with those players the problem greg that you mentioned and i know our listeners are screaming it into their phones right now.
Speaker 3: They don't have enough guys.
Speaker 2: They don't have enough guys because you really want like a Brian branch to play that position for you. And they are not healthy enough to play defense the way that they should be playing defense right now, particularly in this to compete in this division. And so I am very, very concerned about this because I think Kelvin Shepard has, has all the talent in the world, but those, those types of adjustments had to have happened. And then injuries are preventing them from maybe getting into the adjustments that that they really feel like they want to. And even when they go up against like a Minnesota, for example, which I think we'll get to this, we'll just live in 11 personnel, like which feels like a throwback at this point. You still need to be in sub packages more of the time to defend that kind of a look. And so I'm really, really concerned about this. This is my big time red flag. Things go wrong if, because I love what they're doing up front and their guys that have come along and Aiden Hutchinson is obviously a superstar, but the secondary is so concerning to me.
Speaker 1: The optimistic point of view is that Branch and Joseph are hopefully full go like back to who they are by the time games really matter for the Lions. This is a team where it's about the playoffs. They have a solid cornerback in DJ Reed who they gave a lot of money to, but we're a little disappointed by how he was last year. You know, after that, it's like Rakia Sin and Christian.
Speaker 3: Roger McCreary's back there.
Speaker 1: He's there. It's some like names you recognize. Avante Maddox. They just need to coach it up. But on paper, it's not the best looking group. For my lanyard, sometimes we do just like a little extra if we have time. Tyler Lacey is starting for this team at Edge. We had talked about like the Edge battle coming into camp. He was like a waiver pickup from Jacksonville originally. Right now, he's playing ahead of DJ Wanham and their second round pick, Derek Moore, who's reportedly looked pretty good. So they're a little deeper, but some surprising news there. And then also, I just wanted to point out their win total. And this brings us right to the ceiling floor of the Dan Campbell era. Just here are their total wins since he's coached. Three, nine, 12, 15, and then nine. So at no point in this run has any season that's followed been within three wins of the season before. You know, it's plus six, plus three, plus three, minus six, If this was like a SAT problem, like what would, what would be next? Minus three. Either way, if they keep this up, they're either winning 12 games or they're winning six games. I hope that doesn't.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it's all multiples of three too. So for me, I would, I probably, I'd say their ceiling, I would go.
Speaker 1: Back to 12. 12 feels right.
Speaker 2: And honestly, like, again, I hate that I became this person doing this exercise because I hate talking about the schedule before games are actually played. But the Lions are set up pretty nicely for this season. schedule in terms of strength of opponent and i i i picked them to finish first in the nfc north as their ceiling i think feasibly i could see that and i think we've already seen what their floor is it's nine wins.
Speaker 1: I agree i think the ceiling is yeah winning the division can this team make it to the super bowl with this defense in this conference It's tough, but I think so. I do think somehow they could find a way, but it feels more likely that their ceiling is like a division winner and like a conference title winner. And as it goes to the schedule, look, that's the benefit of losing those games down the stretch. They got the last place schedule, so a couple of their games are different than the other teams in their division. And I know the numbers say... that even like the Bears, they do have a harder, like those couple games are tough. But out of division, this division has the AFC South. I mean, NFC South, that's great. And they have the AFC East, which has two of the teams that you would be expected to be favored against. So this entire division does have a chance, I think, to do what they did a year ago, which is get close to having everyone over 500. Last year, it actually happened. That's very difficult, but I think it could happen for all four of these teams.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Can I actually tell you my lanyard? I know we're out on time.
Speaker 1: Oh, no. Oh, wow.
Speaker 3: It's a hashtag noticing.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I am hashtag noticing that a lot of their offensive line depth is not homegrown depth. It's a little bit of a drafting red flag to me, and they've had to... If you're drafting, you have to continue to funnel guys in there... Um, even if you are like a pretty top heavy team, I mean, you, we sort of joke about this when the 49ers sit there and they don't, They don't end up being able to play like their future, their left tackle of the future for X amount of years, but they still went out and got them. And so it's like juice Scruggs and Ben Barton and Seth McLaughlin, who's the backup backup center. And, and Larry Borum is backing up right. It's it's guys that they've gone out and acquired and that's fine, but I am hashtag noticing that there's not a lot of draft and develop depth along the offensive line. And when we look at the team, like the Los Angeles chargers, for example, that bit them in the butt in a big way last year.
Speaker 1: A lot of misses for Brad Holmes. A lot of hits and misses in terms of the recent drafts. Eric, as we go to break here, I just want you to adjudicate. You know, the buzzer had already gone off. We've been pretty loose with that, but going back to another category to talk backup offensive linemen, yay or nay? Is that okay?
Speaker 2: Freedom!
Speaker 1: I had my finger on that.
Speaker 4: The Canadian geese honking horn button, but I felt mean.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've gone eight division previews. I've had to hit it once.
Speaker 2: We kind of just, we've been like long haul truckers.
Speaker 3: You just got to give me the cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: I would have felt mean to be honest.
Speaker 4: Just throwing it at Jordan. Eighth division preview. And all of a sudden I'm like, Hey, nope, too much.
Speaker 1: I'll let the listeners decide what they think. We will be back in, in yes, the best division in football. And we will be talking about the Green Bay Packers after the break. This could have happened like 90 seconds ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, sorry you lost that 90 seconds.
Speaker 1: Back on NFL Daily. The Green Bay Packers are a team that's already given joy to Jordan Rodriguez in this month because she got to visit them, to hang out at Lambeau, to talk to Jordan Love. What specifically, I guess, are you going to highlight here about this team as we see the legend Steve Weiss coming back?
Speaker 3: Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: We are working on securing him as our designated QB Island hitter. We're returning on Kibi Island soon.
Speaker 3: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: What is bringing me joy about the Green Bay Packers is Jordan Love. Honestly, because I think he is so poised to have. a truly incredible season. I think that as the season continues and if everybody stays healthy, which is our big caveat here, he will be talked about as an MVP candidate. And I just have to say, like being around him, I could really understand why people in that building talk about him the way that they do. He is so calm and, but it's not, it does not come without an edge. He reaches every person in that locker room. He has a, just this incredible poise and confidence. And it's like, it's not a, um, it's not a demeanor that is maybe a pushover and it's not, it's very, it's of himself, very sure of himself. And I think that that has had a positive effect on everybody in that building. And it certainly has impacted the receiver clarity that we're now seeing. We'll get to that in a minute, but he absolutely is going to be one of my favorite players to watch all season. I hope he has the season that I am expecting him to have because I think he's poised for truly great things this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he plays like he presents as a person, which is just a cool cockiness. I mean, he's always played with crazy confidence in what he is willing to try. But I love that we have made it to this moment in his career where it does feel like all the learning under Aaron Rodgers, all the experience now that he's had over the last few years. Statistically, you know, he was there with the top five quarterbacks in the NFL last year on a rate basis. And yet, I do think they're going to need to crank him up a little bit, rely less on the running game, and to stay that efficient while just passing more. I mean, when I looked at his final numbers last year, I was kind of shocked at how little he threw the ball. And yet, my most important non-quarterback. He's going to be a man by the name of Luke Butkus. Not a lot of heat for their offensive line coach, Luke Butkus, even though he's done a great job over the last few years and his name is Butkus.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you gave me crap for having an offensive line coach when one team later, you also had an offensive line coach.
Speaker 1: I did refer to the fact I think I've had an offensive line coach at some point in the process and You know, this was it.
Speaker 2: Listeners, this is a little slice of life for me and Greg Rosenthal right now.
Speaker 1: Consistency. I need to work on that. They have done a great job of like, they'll figure it out. Every year there's questions about, okay, who's here? Who's there? This group? Oh, and then in the end, it's greater than the sum of their parts. They are second, and this is from the team, so of course it's going to be favorable, but it's just a fact. Since they hired Luke Buckus, who doesn't get a lot of pop as one of the top offensive line coaches, they're second in the NFL in sack percentage allowed, sacks high allowed last season, very high in percentage of explosive runs and passes. That's been a little more up and down while he's been there. So they've always managed to figure it out, and yet, like, you like... Zach, uh, Baco Morgan, uh, Baco, uh, I should have written it down. That was from memory. So I'll, I'll accept any criticism there at right tackle the former Zach Tom. And then Sean Ryan is a guy who had never played center before, but they loved what they saw and gave him a long-term contract.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: There's two spots that you feel pretty good about after that. It's trying out their former right, you know, left tackle first round pick Jordan Morgan for the first time at that position as a, as a pro. It's a lot of questions. It's a battle at guard. They might have depth, like, but they're figuring it out. They're figuring it out.
Speaker 3: Jagger Burton is going to probably take that guard spot.
Speaker 1: That's, that's one of the spots that's open and it's fine. But I just think to your Hank Fraley point before, like he, they've kind of relied on having a top 10 offensive line and on paper, like my guy, Luke got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's going to be a huge part of what they do. It kind of goes hand in hand with my most important non quarterback. As we see Andrew Siciliano now outside the glass, this is fun.
Speaker 3: We have everybody visiting us.
Speaker 1: The season's about to start. Yeah. By the way, Luke Buckus, nephew of Dick Buckus, not the son, not the grandson, but the nephew of Hall of Famer Dick Buckus.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to get that in there.
Speaker 3: Big shoes to fill.
Speaker 2: Um, in terms of some of the things you mentioned with the run game, it was funny in talking to Maliflor at Packers camp. It was like, he sort of was sarcastically self-aware about how much he ran the ball, maybe overly ran the ball last year.
Speaker 3: He's like, well, and you know, I do tend to run the ball a lot.
Speaker 2: And I go, you know, and, and that's what one thing that they're going to have to really think about this year. It goes into my, one of my most important non-quarterbacks slash even things go wrong. If, and talking about Marshawn Lloyd, for example, the running back, um, who has not been hurt or has not been healthy for multiple years now, who they've had high expectations and the expectation of really a large level of productivity for them, but has just, hasn't been able to get on the field and had a clean training camp and an exciting training camp with Josh Jacobs still going through the process of, of potential suspension for some really, really serious legal issues. This is really, really important because he's also not just crucial depth for them. but he is their best. I would say their best zone runner that they have on this roster. And the way that Matt LaFleur likes to run his offense, the wide zone and the zone run specifically are directly tied to what they call their transportation schemes, which are the sweeps and the screens and all of the misdirection things that they like to do in order to make everything look like it could be either run or pass. So it's a huge element of their playbook. that is really predicated on a, to your point, the offensive line doing what it needs to do. And also this running back who they are taking a gamble on, even though he has not been healthy, um, for, for several years. And so to me, it's a lot of things at once it's scheme dream. It's most important on quarterback. It's offensive line, like you mentioned, but that's kind of the Packers for you. Their questions that they have are big, big questions.
Speaker 1: They are Marshawn Lloyd's been a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy and I've watched every one of his preseason carries. He's kind of picking and choosing. He's had good holes to run through. I think he needs to be a little more decisive. I do wonder if they will look for a veteran or if they're confident in Josh Jacobs, who hasn't been healthy. Josh Jacobs faces five criminal charges, including strangulation and suffocation. It was a domestic disturbance initially. It's complicated how... whether they're charged and in investigation and allegations, but these are the initial charges, battery, domestic abuse, critical damage to a property, domestic abuse, disorderly kind of, it was a lot intimidation of a victim and whether the NFL waits for that legal process to wait out. I kind of hate that we're back in the place of the NFL that like if a video came out that showed Josh Jacobs, it would be the Ray Rice thing all over again. But because we don't see a video that, it doesn't get mentioned too much and that they're of course just going to play him. Um, but I think, I think it's fair to have some criticism of the Packers just being like, okay, that's fine. Uh, we're just going to move on from that. And also he just hasn't been healthy. So it's a complicated football and off field issue for Josh Jacobs, but that makes me think they should get another player in there either way. Just, just get it either way. My scheme dream. I'll go first this time. I say, it every time. Well, just how aggressive is Jonathan Gannon? What is Jonathan Gannon in 2026? Jonathan Gannon was the Cardinals head coach last year. He came from Philadelphia where he went back and forth based on the talent that he had of like, I'm just going to sit back and let everything happen and and hopefully let my offense cook. And then sometimes he was aggressive, you know, certainly in Arizona, he would, him and Nick Rallis were very creative. I think he's going to have to provide an advantage because you've mentioned on the show, they might have a pre Micah Parsons plan and a post Micah Parsons plan. Micah Parsons, their best player is coming off, you know, that serious ACL. And he had said week six, I believe it is against the Cowboys is, is probably the earliest he could get back. The schedule helps. early in the season at Minnesota at the jets versus Atlanta at the bucks in terms of offenses you face, like that's manageable for the defense. I'm not saying it's all easy overall teams, but you could survive that early portion of the season, but. On paper, they're going to need their coach to be coaching because I don't really see the pass rush.
Speaker 2: Well, it's such a dire situation to the level that they've already shown some of what they're going to rely on in the preseason. You don't see them playing as vanilla as some of these other teams in the preseason. You're seeing Jonathan Gannon blitz. He doesn't really like to blitz. Like I say, he hasn't tendencies, has not had tendencies towards blitzing too much. Now, what they have loved to do is have moved players. And so the combination of manufacturing pressure is going to be really, really important. And when I was at training camp was incredible. It was, it was a significant uptick in anything I'd ever seen from them, uh, in this era and anything I'd seen from Jonathan Gannon in his coaching style either. And then also leaning on the three safeties that they're going to start, which Evan Williams, Xavier McKinney, and Javon Bullard and Javon Bullard, who I just talked about the importance of like a Buffalo nickel or a star.
Speaker 3: To me would be that player.
Speaker 2: Although Evan Williams and Xavier McKinney can move around to this, to me, accidentally sets them up in the perfect, uh, meeting of the moment of where they need, how they need to be covering teams. Anyway, it just stinks for them that their pressure isn't going to be there right away unless it's manufactured. So for me, having those three safety looks and then keeping edge Cooper on the field in that quote unquote base nickel that I just talked about, that's their money plan to me because, and certainly their pre Micah Parsons plan because edge Cooper, uh, even though he'll play off ball, will still rush the passer. And then they'll have the extra defensive back to either cover or defend the run like they want to be able to do without having to overcomplicate it. Some of the pressure will be more complicated than we've seen when it's being designed.
Speaker 3: But I think this is such a.
Speaker 2: Simple solution to what is a huge problem for them. And I would hope that they don't overthink it or overcomplicate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my things go wrong if is just asking a couple rhetorical questions. who is their best defensive lineman? It's like Devante Wyatt. They gave a contract to, so I guess he's probably it right now. You know, the other options would be Lucas Van Ness, Baylin Terrell. And then the other, the other question would be who is their best cornerback?
Speaker 3: Sissy.
Speaker 1: Brandon Cissé, second round pick.
Speaker 3: Like, I say it wrong every single time.
Speaker 1: A very boom or bust prospect, like who may or may not start, you know, it probably is starting.
Speaker 3: If he's healthy, he's going to start, I bet.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like if you're counting on a second round rookie to be your best cornerback.
Speaker 3: No, they have huge, huge issues.
Speaker 1: It's trouble.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up because they do have huge depth issues. And that's again, why I think they're just going to lean. They're going to totally funnel this entire plan through the safeties because they are really strong there and really depend on at least one of those players being a move player, like how I had mentioned, you know, back when I was reporting on this, that, that they use the Gannon use Buddha Baker, for example, um, which is not going to fix everything. but you can't expect to fix everything before Micah Parsons returns. And even then you might not be able to fix everything because corner to me is a huge, huge concern where I'm not as concerned anymore is at their receiver position. Yeah. Because not only did I see clarity in that group, but it also is showing up in the preseason as well. What clarity they have with Matthew Golden in a more defined role with Christian Watson playing the role that he seems very, very equipped and built for. I think Sky Moore makes this team. I mentioned the transportation schemes. And then I really actually appreciated what I saw from Savion Williams, who's been hurt, but he's big, he's fast, he's strong. I just think he could really contribute to this group if he's asked.
Speaker 1: Jaden Reed, still in the mix. The defined roles, like their route to being as good as they want to be is a... extremely efficient, and I think higher volume passing attack. They've already been efficient and love just being like an MVP candidate. Now going through the exercise, these three teams at the top of the division, if we're considering Minnesota in terms of looking at Vegas in terms of the odds are expected to come in fourth, they're all so similar. They all just need their defense to be good enough. I think the Packers have higher hopes eventually, but I don't know. They might all just cancel each other out a little bit where the ceiling is more of, yeah, they can win the division. It's a little hard to see this team making the Super Bowl. And the floor, I do think, is last place in this division, which would cause some real soul-searching for this organization. I..
Speaker 2: Think that their biggest weak spot is no longer going to be a weak spot in October when Micah Parsons comes back. And I think that with Micah Parsons and then someone who we didn't mention but absolutely should, Tucker Kraft, being back in the mix on this offense, this to me is one of the most high ceiling teams in this division. And certainly one of the most high ceiling teams in the NFL. That doesn't mean that they, that doesn't mean that they have.
Speaker 1: So you think they have a higher ceiling than the bears?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then the, how about the lions? Uh, About Tide.
Speaker 3: About Tide.
Speaker 2: And that's why this division is hard. But that's the thing. It doesn't mean they don't have glaring weaknesses. It's just that I think that their best players are so much better than so many other best players. And with the quarterback, that to me makes them Super Bowl potential once everybody's back.
Speaker 1: I buy that. It's one of those divisions, like I said, you could tell me anything. Matt LaFleur has provided such a high floor for this team. I think that's underrated. Just contending each and every year, eventually figure that they'll break through. Then they really haven't, you know, they haven't had the real down year. And so I don't expect that to happen. I think this is a playoff team, but I think that about the first three teams. And I know when we get to the end of this month and are picking like our playoff teams, like it's hard to squeeze three teams from the same division unless you're keeping like the Seahawks or the Rams out, you know, you could do it. You could find a way to do it.
Speaker 3: What about the ultimate X factor? Trace Mack.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Trace Mack. Talk about a gamer guy that was struggling in practice. You put them out there in the preseason and he looks like a Brandon Aubrey part two. Love it. Minnesota Vikings. Like I said, In Vegas, the odds are pretty close in this division, but they are, you know, it's kind of the big three. And then the Vikings, what is bringing you joy about this team?
Speaker 3: Brian Flores' contract extension.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay. I like that.
Speaker 3: Which is a kind of a deep, winter throwback.
Speaker 1: I forgot it ever happened.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it really, really went under the radar and was sort of forgotten about. It was one of the best hires a team could make in the moment. And it has remained that because this, this group, which like doesn't let you down, like where you're supposed to think about, um, regression or things not being sticky, quote unquote, for, for defenses and certain things that like high volume pressure, uh, versus more, uh, conservative play, like things that are, are high variance versus not like Brian Flores just says, uh, Maybe we'll regress between like week seven and nine and then we're fine again. Like he really does not give a hoot about your regression.
Speaker 1: I love it. Not a word I think Brian Flores would use. Yeah, right.
Speaker 2: I'm working on the live calling. I'm working on not swearing as much.
Speaker 1: I think that's important. I think it's good for Eric as well.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So, um, but I, I just think it was such a, again, it went under the radar. I wanted to bring it up here. He has been such an asset for this group and he's going to have his work cut out for him this year with a couple of big personnel questions.
Speaker 3: On that side of the ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He, he is part of my things go wrong. If like him, not just being spinning some magic, but in terms of joy, it's just Justin Jefferson with a quarterback. And that's, that's, You know, a little bit of hope is built into me saying that. I believe that Kyler can feed him the ball, that Kyler can do enough. And if Kyler doesn't perform as well as Vikings fans want, I still think there's going to be a lot of highlights with Justin Jefferson. When Kyler... has had like real deal receivers. And he really hasn't that often in his career. If you look back, cause it was like the end of Fitzgerald, just like one year, he had that 1400 yard year with Deandre Hopkins. And then Hopkins got hurt and kind of was never the same again. When Trey McBride emerged, it was catching 111 passes from Kyler. So he is not afraid to go to his best players. And if you think about Kyler's career and look at those Cardinals team, it is easily the deepest group of weapons and that he's ever had. And he's someone that's not afraid to throw it. So I think he's receiver friendly, whether like he's reading the defense and getting all the operations. and not making mistakes that's kind of what's going to determine if they win or lose but from a pure numbers and like enjoying watching on sunday i'm just happy to have the best receiver in football justin jefferson with a quarterback and yes that was uh you know just like the mildest of shots to Jamar Chaser and any other receiver that wants to believe that they're the best. I still stick with Justin.
Speaker 2: Well, I just can't wait to see him do his thing the way we know he can and not sort of have to bandaid over certain things that they struggled with. J.J. McCarthy, you know, at the at the wheel last season for me. this kind of goes into my, a little bit of my scheme dream.
Speaker 1: Go for it. Just do it.
Speaker 2: I have just my hot take about this group is that every other team in this division is going to load up and play heavier personnel all the time. And the Vikings should not, they should not do that. And I don't think they want to based on looking at their roster construction. It's Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison, and Juwan Jennings.
Speaker 3: Like is this sneaky one of.
Speaker 2: The best three receiver groups in the NFL when you think about how high Justin Jefferson's ceiling is.
Speaker 3: And Juwan Jennings is a really, really solid receiver, too.
Speaker 1: It could be the best.
Speaker 2: A good to great one. And Jordan Addison, we've seen big potential from him, too. They will be and should be one of the rare teams that does live in 11 this year and actually bodes well for them because every other defense in the league is preparing for an onslaught of heavier personnels. And so getting the speed and the mismatches with these players is going to be, to me, kind of a little bit of a secret weapon. And it's where Kevin O'Connell wants to live there, too. He loves playing in 11.
Speaker 1: It's slept on how loaded this offense is if Kyler can deliver. I think Jordan Addison is very underrated. He's made some knuckleheaded decisions off the field with the speeding and everything like when he was young. And yet like he is better than his numbers say he is one of the better number twos in the league. I think Jennings is one of the better threes. They've said they've loved this camp from Miles Price, who is like an undrafted free agent, who I think is going to be a little bit of a factor. They even had, you know, they had Ty Felton third round pick a year ago is improving. And then TJ Hawkins is a year healthier. Hopefully he's obviously not as very peak, but him and Josh Oliver are a good combination when you need, want to use. the receivers. So like the tight end at receiver. So I like all that. And my scheme dream is the running side with Frank Smith. Actually, we've hit Frank Smith and their zone running. They want to do so much in the camp. I'm going to go back to Flores and just say it's rare to have so much continuity. I know they've lost some players. They got rid of Grenard because of finances. Harrison Smith retires. We'll see if he comes back. But it's pretty rare to have like a guy who is now has so many of his guys just year after year since he took over Flores and they were 24th in efficiency when he took over. 11 third second. I mean, this is an elite defense. And so his guys, I would include Josh Metellus, the safety, Byron Murphy, the cornerback, Andrew Van Ginkle. These are all guys they brought in. Blake Cashman. I mean, Eric Wilson is a linebacker. Flores is great identifying talent that's going to work because I think he's big on bringing these players in. They're not stars, but they get his system and they're all back together again.
Speaker 2: Well, and I even trust him to make the most with some of the personnel shuffling that they've had to do, because I loved the identification and wanting to bring in a guy like Jamal Adams, who if you're going to be a guy who is blitzing a lot and you are going to come only do that essentially for a defense, it's going to be the Brian Flores defense. And obviously he got hurt. So that was really unfortunate, but I always pay attention to, especially my colleague, Alec Lewis and some of the, the camp reports, because Alec is really good at saying the thing without overtly saying the thing, because PR would, you know, you know, What a lot of people don't know is the condition of the credential is you can't report certain scheme things if you're a beat writer, but you can hint at it. And Alec is so good at it. And he just has these little hints, sprinkles of players who it is very clear they are Flores guys. And it's this kid, Jacob Thomas, an undrafted free agent out of James Madison.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: It was basically like running the show at safety at a certain point and commanding all the rotations of the funky stuff that they like to do. And I'm looking at James Madison and the history of that defense and how they overachieved. And I'm sitting there and I'm like..
Speaker 1: The Dukes.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, duh. Of course he's a Brian Flores guy.
Speaker 2: And I sit there and I love this about Brian Flores is that he can basically ID exactly what will work specific to his thing.
Speaker 1: And nobody..
Speaker 2: Else even knows what the hell that is because he, he has no tendencies. He's so hard to predict because he loves five man fronts or six man fronts. He loves dropping everybody. He loves blitzing on early downs or then sometimes not like it just, it's, it's fantastic. I'd like to see them continue to improve up front as well. It sounds like Dallas Turner is having an awesome camp. I know you love your guy, big citrus as well.
Speaker 1: Um, Dominique orange. I have Turner as my most important on quarterback.
Speaker 2: Okay, great.
Speaker 1: Cause I just think he, you know, he's a ascending third year pass rusher and they've had a history of really great pass rushes and they're thinner than they've been in the past. And so can he get to, I think he can definitely get to a Jonathan Grenard level. Can he get to like a, a Daniel Hunter back in the day type spicy type level where you're a top five to 10 passer? I don't know, but he's been an ascending player and I think they need him to be great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think, My things go wrong.
Speaker 2: If unfortunately has a lot to do with the position that somewhat ironically is always the biggest question with this team, with the head coach that has talked so much about developing quarterbacks and working with quarterbacks. And that is Kyler Murray. If we get a streaky Kyler Murray season.
Speaker 3: But it's not just Kyler.
Speaker 2: And I, and I appreciate what we've seen with them from the off season that they are working on rebuilding this run game with Aaron Jones, with Jordan Mason, who I think Jordan Mason is still a little bit underrated and this type of system, he can really thrive in it. But for me, trying to lift the floor as much as possible with a better run game and then adding Kyler to the mix as a runner is a really, really exciting concept. Not that he's going to be taking off on these zone reads all the time, but the threat of him taking off is so significant because of what he still can do. My biggest concern and question is, is he, if he's streaky, if we get eight or nine really, really good games, really good Kyler games, and then we get streakiness or potential injury, the rest of it, because if he's just there for, as of now of one year, they are going to push hard to try to maximize what he does. And I have concern about that on his body. Um, but we'll see, we will see.
Speaker 1: And I just, I really want to run more.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I, but I really want to see this. I really want every, I want this to be a best case scenario because it's more fun for us. Because how fun would that be to see him extend plays and just like throw the ball the hell down the field to like a Justin Jefferson or Jordan Addison? Like there's so much fun potential in what this offense can be. He's going to align from everywhere. It's just going to be, it's exciting to think about and I hope they can meet the potential.
Speaker 1: Huge year in his career. It's really, what direction is the rest of your career going to take year for him and possibly KOC? Because KOC, you know, things go wrong. If for me is like, if it's all just like a little too much, the, the natives are a little restless there in Minnesota and just there, there could be, can he handle any negativity? Can Kyler handle if, if it doesn't start great, I could just, it's such a tough division. I could just see things spiraling a little and being dramatic, but no, I like that Kyler. I was trying to think who's had a career like Kyler. And like, this is like, The inflection point. The best I could come up with while you were talking was Carson Palmer. Nice to know you were paying attention. No, I was listening, but I'm also thinking of like Kyle. I totally agree with what you're saying. Yeah. Because it's not Sam Darnold. Sam Darnold was more prototypical of what KOC wanted, but also like he hadn't been that guy before Minnesota. Kyler Murray is a number one pick is produced at a really high level and had MVP streaks in him, which is similar to Palmer for me. But think how much different we think of Carson Palmer because of the Arizona days. Can Kyler Murray have kind of his act two Arizona days where actually this turns into a three or four year really productive big number run? I think he has that in him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's if we're talking about floors and ceilings, I think that's Kyler's ceiling. And, you know, I just I hope that he stays healthy because I would like to see what he can do and how he's learned to maybe mitigate some of that streakiness he's run into that's not injury related. And what he can do when he has a great supporting cast. And like I mentioned, a higher floor. This is the one time a team is like, we're redoing our run game where I actually believe it.
Speaker 3: I truly do believe.
Speaker 2: That this, you know, including Kevin O'Connell, he said it for like three years and then it never quite took off. This is the year that I actually..
Speaker 1: It's going to be different even if it doesn't work. Hopefully it works. A little landing up here. The James Madison Dukes. I strongly considered going to James Madison at one point because my main... criteria was a warm city and that's not really a city there so that would that that hurt but i just wanted somewhere warm mostly was like the south i wasn't really thinking california but i thought i thought hard on james madison.
Speaker 2: You could give me 60 guesses and i wouldn't be able to guess where james madison is.
Speaker 1: I'm not even totally sure right now somewhere in virginia though for sure you think that's warm oh it's i mean compared to massachusetts pretty big difference yeah Where is it? Now I'm really... It's sad that at one point I obviously knew it well. The college. Big, big school. Harrisonburg. Harrisonburg, Virginia. Of course it's warm. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: It doesn't... I thought it snows in Virginia.
Speaker 1: I mean, it like you have, you have a winter compared to certainly New Orleans or LA, the places I ended up. Ceiling floor, but it's still warmer.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is, this is not a team that I thought now I love their skill guys, but this was not a team that I thought, oh yeah, it's a given. I could totally see this team in the Superbowl. That was the one, this was the one that was a little sticky for me. Now I still, what's funny is I still see their ceiling as in the mix too much.
Speaker 3: Be leaders in this, in this.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's, that's not getting on the, you know, in the mix to be leaders. There's a lot of qualifiers there.
Speaker 3: Well, that's, I love, I love those.
Speaker 1: Put a number on it.
Speaker 3: I love those.
Speaker 1: So you think they can win the division?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like that's their ceiling.
Speaker 3: I could see it.
Speaker 2: And if, again, if all the things we're talking about go right, like I could see it because they'll be able to do something different on offense than everybody else.
Speaker 1: Biggest variance team in this division to me could, I think they could make the Superbowl. I mean, it would be surprising, but I, I think their ceiling is quite high. I think the offense could be dramatically improved. And then if the defense is anywhere close, I do think the defense at some point, like it's, it's a risky type of defense. They could have a bad year. One of these years, like we've seen it with these types of coaches.
Speaker 3: That I'll believe it when I see it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But if they had a bad year, then this team could be seven and 10, you know, certainly, um, I like the Vikings.
Speaker 3: It's kind of one of those things.
Speaker 2: If I'm willing to believe that they're going to fix the run game after saying it so many years, I am also willing to believe, and in probably more enthusiasm, that Brian Flores is not going to have a bad year.
Speaker 1: Okay. I like that. And that probably would indicate you don't have them in last place. So I mentioned the odds. The odds are a little surprising. Just checked them. I think they're quite schedule related, but the Lions are the favorites in the division. The Packers are second. The Bears are third. And they're kind of equally spaced out, not that that close to each other. And the Vikings are not a distant fourth, you know, better than most fourth place teams. But there is a big gap, at least in terms of the odds. I will have you go first picking this order.
Speaker 3: One, two, three, four. I love picking so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this might surprise you actually, Greg, because I put the Lions first.
Speaker 3: Okay. I put the Packers second.
Speaker 1: You said you were going to surprise me. I don't know if the Lions surprised me. You're right. I guess if I had to guess, I thought you were going to go Packers.
Speaker 3: No, I put the Packers second. I put.
Speaker 2: The Bears third. And I put the Vikings fourth. Now, that said... The first three teams I could see being in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I know. I like the Bears, and yet I feel like I need to spice things up a little bit. Like, I want to put the Vikings maybe in the playoffs in some way. I don't feel good about any of this in this division.
Speaker 2: No matter what we pick, we're going to be wrong because it's that wild of a division.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: It's freedom.
Speaker 1: You don't know. That's true.
Speaker 3: Let go a little bit, you know?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I'll go Lions, Vikings, Bears, Packers.
Speaker 4: Out of all the division previews, that's going to be the graphic we put out.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: Please don't.
Speaker 2: Please don't because the Packers fans we know are extremely online.
Speaker 1: I like the Packers. I always pick the Packers to do well. I can't even abide by that. I'm flipping and I'm flipping the Packers at least putting the bears in last either way.
Speaker 3: The Bears last?
Speaker 1: Well, someone's got to be last if I put the Vikings second. Oh, I don't think the Bears are going to be last. I've gotten very chocked with these predictions. Ben Johnson's going to come for you.
Speaker 2: Think of the Ben Johnson stare and then see if you want to reconsider.
Speaker 1: Well, I am really hoping I'm wrong, at least statistically, because I went early with a Caleb Williams, Colston Loveland stack on my fantasy team. So I will be watching those Bears.
Speaker 2: See, this is what we call the Rosenthal hedge, where he picks someone and someone's going to get mad, except they can't really get mad because you guys were first on my fantasy team.
Speaker 1: I will try to make that the last time I talk about my fantasy team. It's come up three times today. Nobody wants to hear about your fantasy team. And yet we're going to be doing our fantasy preview later on this week. Hit that music. Good show, Jordan.
Speaker 3: It's good to be back in the studio.
Speaker 1: Also in the studio. is where you will be conducting a big-time interview. Quickly, tell them about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got Adam Barry, assistant GM of the Philadelphia Eagles, coming up on Power Play.
Speaker 1: That is next. And then, yes, we're going to do another fantasy football preview later in the week. See you then.