Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the forty nine Ers First and ten Podcast, ten minutes of the most up to date forty nine Ers news first thing in the morning. I'm your host Briona McDonald. Joining me is forty nine Ers team reporter Lindsay Polaries. This week is the start of OTAs for many teams across the league, including the forty nine Ers. San Francisco held their first day of OTA practice yesterday, and we're going to recap all of the biggest takeaways from the first day of practice on this morning's episode. So, lindsay, what was it like to see a lot of the team back in the building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It felt like football season was almost back, right. It was great.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of veterans on hand. I will say not all of them were participating or suited up, but I will say in terms of notable attendees, we've got George Kittle, Fred Warner, Nick Bosa, we saw Leonard Floyd, you know, some of the off season editions, Jordan elliott E, Tour Gross Matos, Raymond Johnson, Lee Collins not here, but head coach Kyle Shanahan said he's going to be in town as soon as his kids are graduated next week, so another free agent edition that's going to be in Santa Clara.
Speaker 2: So just a really strong presence here.
Speaker 3: I think that's always good for team morele and just general energy in the building.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it gives a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of pre training camp vibes and just to kind of review what this phase of OTAs is. It's the third phase of the forty nine ers off season programming.
Speaker 2: It's still voluntary.
Speaker 3: What's different from Phase one and two is that teams can be getting seven on seven and eleven on eleven drills. Still no live contact, but it is just step above what's been happening for the past few weeks in Phase one and Phase two.
Speaker 1: You know, coach Shanahan said that it still feels like the twenty twenty three season just ended. We're only about three months removed from playing in the Super Bowl. So what did the players say about processing a long twenty twenty three season before turning their focus to a new year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's different for everyone, right, and it kind of depends on each individual player's journey.
Speaker 2: But we heard from safety jay Or.
Speaker 3: Brown he said he's still not over it because you don't forget a game like the Super Bowl, and obviously the end result not being what you want it to be.
Speaker 2: But obviously he's here, he's practicing.
Speaker 3: To a certain degree, he is moving on, but he did say he's processing through some.
Speaker 2: Of those emotions.
Speaker 3: Also heard from defensive lineman Nick Bosa, who said that, you know, this was actually one of his better off seasons in terms of working out, and that's because that season extended so long, obviously to mid February, So he's really made a concerted effort to take it easy, rehab his body, get it in its best possible shape. He's here at OTAs And then for brock Purty, a totally different off season because this time last year he was very much in the recovery process from an elbow surgery to repair a season ending injuries.
Speaker 2: So for him, it's a.
Speaker 3: Totally new phase, new off season feel. So I think it depends on who you ask, but I think to a certain degree, the team is obviously turning the page and looking ahead to that twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brock Party was seriously in a rehab phase during last year's off season. This is brock Perty's first full off season with the team, and around this time last year, he wasn't even throwing any passes. He was just visualizing what that was like. So what has he shared about how this time has helped him develop as a leader of this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think a year makes all the difference, and just his journey is in a much different place because because he can actually go review the cutups with Kyle Shanahan and then go put that directly into practice on the field, He's been able to be part of this entire offseason workout.
Speaker 2: Head coach Kyle Shanahan said, it's been great to just have him out there leading.
Speaker 3: Those drills, which really we were so far from that point this time last year because of that surgery that we talked about. And obviously, you know, you get a year's worth of starting experience, or an additional year, I should say, and you're in a totally different place.
Speaker 2: Head coach Kyle Shanahan said that it's just a.
Speaker 3: Continual stacking for brock perty and he continues to develop. He's entering year three, but with I feel like all the things he's been through in his first two years in the NFL, it feels so much longer.
Speaker 2: But and He even said it too.
Speaker 3: He feels like one of those veteran players, especially as you get one of those rookie classes in here, a new class of free agents, and it just it feels like a totally different team to a certain extent. So yeah, he's in a totally different place. I mean, I think he's feeling really.
Speaker 1: Good about it. Definitely. Well, lindsay, take us out to the practice field for the first day of OTAs. What did you think of the newcomers, the rookies? Did anyone stand out to you?
Speaker 3: I will say the defensive line looks totally different. I had to frequently look down at my roster sheet and then also ask like, who's that?
Speaker 2: Who's that?
Speaker 3: Because I got so used to a lot of the jersey numbers, and it did get a shake up. It was great to see Leonard Floyd out there. You tour Gross Matos, some of the bigger names that were signed in free agency.
Speaker 2: Obviously Nick Bosa there.
Speaker 3: Always like you see him standing around and talking to guys.
Speaker 2: And I would assume offering tips.
Speaker 3: Obviously I don't know what's going on in those conversations, but he seems to really just be getting to know the guys. Speaking with them out on the practice field and get it. Just getting those practice reps in with the new defensive line. But certainly a lot of revamping happened in free agency, so that was a different sight to see.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: We saw Deebo Samuel Senior in his number one jersey.
Speaker 2: That's gonna take some getting used to, I think, just.
Speaker 3: Because for Niners fans, for people that didn't know him during his South Carolina playing days, he's always been number nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was nineteen problems exactly. Nineteen problems no longer.
Speaker 3: And it's actually Trent Taylor who's actually in that number nineteen jersey. Also a familiar face, but I haven't seen him since I've been here with the organization.
Speaker 2: So another new face for me at least.
Speaker 3: And yeah, said, I think George Kittle also, I think he may have cut his hair. I'm not one hundred percent sure because he had a haddle, but I don't think his I think there's a new.
Speaker 2: Look to George Kittle.
Speaker 3: He was not suited up for practice, but he definitely also was coaching up the tight ends.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: We saw Fred Warner out there as well, not suited up, but still here at Ota is a good veteran presence. Saw Ricky Piercell catch a pass from brock Perty also saw Josh Dobbs in action.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of things happening.
Speaker 3: I tried to bounce around the field, but it's hard to be an old all the places at the same time.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I'm excited to get a closer look at all the players new looks. Come media Day very soon and see all the new numbers they're rocking, maybe some new hairstyles. So that should be pretty fun with all the newcomers and rookies in the building. Jayra Brown spoke about preaching forty nine ers culture, especially to the rookies they're having their first days at forty nine ers HQ. What exactly is that forty nine ers culture and how do you see it being displayed and installed during these early days?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think Jay R. Brown spoke to this point really perfectly.
Speaker 3: He said that he paid attention to the moves that the forty nine ers made during the draft, and he did so because he wanted to welcome that new class of rookies to this brotherhood, this family, this you know, the culture that is very well established here and he said he wanted to pay attention so that he could reach out and make them feel welcome. I think that's such a great representation of the culture that you've got here in San Francisco. JayR. Brown, really since the moment he stepped foot had bit on this campus has kind of been that like really friendly presence, and I think I'm sure the rookies very much appreciate that. And it's crazy to think that he's already in his second year.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel like that long ago.
Speaker 3: But yes, there is a whole another group of eight rookies that were drafted, plus undrafted free agents that are here trying to make their mark on the NFL. And I think, you know, they're getting a good splash of forty nine ers culture, which is a brotherhood. This like attention to detail, really good work ethic. I think all of those things kind of embody the forty nine ers way lovely.
Speaker 1: Well faithful. That will do it for today. Follow us on Spotify and Apple Podcasts to be in the know on all the latest official forty nine ers news. Also check into forty nine ers dot com for all the latest OTA updates. Also turn on the notifications for any breaking news, Move the Chains updates and thank you for tuning in to the t