Speaker 1: At the end of this podcast, I'm gonna give you the hug your dad never gave you.
Speaker 2: I see him looking at me right now and really thinking about like, Yeah, this kid's he needs a hug.
Speaker 1: Oh, maybe I'm just projecting. Maybe I'm hoping that I could get a hug from the hands that caught that ball right off the turf. Maybe you could hold me gently, rock me before I go to my next dancing monkey gig that I have to do.
Speaker 2: You do do a lot of these dancing monkey gigs I.
Speaker 1: Do, and this is probably the bottom of the list.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a very special episode of Games with Names presented by cores Light. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we are on a mission to find the greatest game of all time. And on today's episode, we are covering Bears versus Dolphins, Week thirteen, nineteen eighty five, Monday night football game with legendary comedian die sports fan and Boston icon Bill Burr, and we get into talking his thoughts on the current National Football League.
Speaker 1: The NFL is in a bad place. The only storyline they have right now is Canny three.
Speaker 2: Peat, his Boston sports mount Rushmore.
Speaker 1: And I can only pick one white wide receiver, so I'll go with Wes Welker.
Speaker 2: Where Dan Marino ranks in all time.
Speaker 1: Nobody could beat the Bears. And this guy went in. He had no weapons, no defense.
Speaker 2: And then we get in to the chill zone presented by COR's Light. We're hitting the old chill line. To answer your questions about this week's game, you gotta stick around to the very end. Let's go. Games with Names of production of iHeartRadio, December second, nineteen eighty five. The Orange Bowl, Miami, Florida.
Speaker 1: Ten year old Bill Burr with an orange afro, no girlfriend, flunking math. He sits down in front of a square TV. Perfection is in the sight for the Monsters of the Midway on Monday Night Football.
Speaker 2: But Don Shula and Dan Marino have other plans. This is the Bears versus Dolphins, Week thirteen, nineteen eighty five. Welcome to Games with Names. Today, we have a very special guest to talk about a very random game. I'm gonna tell you We're gonna talk about the nineteen eighty five Week thirteen Bears versus Dolphins Monday night football game with Bill Burr and Bill I have one question to ask you in one sentence, Okay, why did you pick this game?
Speaker 1: Because after Dan Marino played or during his career, he got all of this crap that he couldn't win the big one, and he had no weapons, he had no defense. He had an older coach who was he who had a chain of steakhouses shoeless right, the game had passed him by. It wasn't like, you know, he kept you know, adding to his game. They caught up to him. The guy had no running back, he had nothing, He had no help. Okay, and everybody who's saying, oh, you know, like making it sound like this guy wasn't good. He's one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time who had no help. And in nineteen eighty five nobody could beat the Bears, and this guy went in with like a regular defense, not only beat him, smoked him thirty eight to twenty four.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: They were beaten like the Cowboys who were just perennial. You know Tom Landry, you know, late in his career, they beat him like forty four to nothing. I remember that on the cover of Sports Illustrated and what is it? Defense, dude was like mythical by the fourth week of the season, and no one was going to stop these guys and they were gonna win the Super Bowl, which god knows they did against my Patriots. We were up three to nothing though Franklin yep, and he went in and just straight up beat him. And I just always feel like one of the biggest curses in sports there it is. I still remember that cover, and that was mind blowing. That was mind blowing that the Dallas Cowboys could get beat that bad at home. They absolutely destroyed them. But like, one of the biggest curses in the NFL is to be a highly sought after draft pick, right because you usually end up on a on a bad team. But then he lucked out going so late in the draft for reasons we're not going to discuss. But if you ever go to Pittsburgh, you can figure it out pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: I don't know Pittsburgh like that, but I could put one in one together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got a around town.
Speaker 2: Now, Bill, is this the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 1: No? Well, I figure everybody's gonna pick like, you know, you guys versus the uh, the Falcons or something like that, But like, this is one of the most overlooked games of all time and all of these like you know, fat sports writers who were never picked in gym class. They they can't wait for the dip in somebody's career and their thing with him, well we can't win the big one and blah blah blah, and they ignore this game. They ignore the people around. Remember, like his running backs were like Delvin Williams during his career, Tony Nathan Kareem Abdul Jabbar the football player, swear to God, and he had Duper and Clayton who were fantastic, fantastic, I don't know, but like the Dolphins had like the last two white cornerbacks in the league. They had, like they had like who were the the Greg and Lyle and Kyle Blackwood or something like that, the exciting whites. Yes, there you go. Yeah, one was just okay, one was a strong safety. I don't know what the other guy was. Okay, you got all the names here, uh, Fulton Walker, you remember the first guy to take a kickoff back in a Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Don't remember that?
Speaker 1: But look look at look at these names. Does any of these names anybody here jump out at you like, oh my god, damn Marino, damn Okay, Damn Marino, Don'tula, Don'tula. Look look at that Look at that team. You're telling me this team beats the eighty five Bears.
Speaker 2: They do? And why because the guys were at home with the champagne glasses trying to defeat the undefeated, the old Miami Dolphin. Guys.
Speaker 1: You know how now you played this game professionally, right I did? I tried, and so you just went with that ESPN take.
Speaker 2: I tried, you know, honestly, you know it was eighty five degrees of Miami.
Speaker 1: Chicago's a cold weather team. I'm telling you. I gotta tell you I got That's hard.
Speaker 2: That's fucking hard. What is hard? Do you see our record in fucking Miami in December? It's like ohen like a million because when you go because it.
Speaker 1: Was too hot out, well because you guys, because you guys went to South Beach the night before.
Speaker 2: You think we went to South Beach before, you think hot ass your team?
Speaker 1: Every year I watch it with the Bruins and the Celtics, they come here, they go down to Anaheim. Oh, they play the Clippers and the Lakers. They always lose one. There's always one night is always the party night, and then we're going to try against the Lakers. That's basically what it is. If you saw the Celtics with the Big three against the no name Clippers, it was fifty to fifty that they were going to lose that game badly. I used to go to it every year because I can't stand Lakers fans, because I don't mind the upper deck ones, but the ones down low in the Staples Center, it's just it's just mouth breathers, mouth breathing morons, just a bunch of old guys with like eighteen year old chicks. It's horrible. And then you go to Miami and it's the same thing. It's a bunch of sixty year old guys dressed all in white linen. Hannibal Lecter when he's gonna eat that guy at the end of the movie and the and they hang it out with like these twenty one year olds. And then you guys get down there and you're like, Wow, what is this some wide eyed kid from Kansas wherever the fuck you're from. You can't handle it. You can't handle it, and you go down and what do you do? You lose money for guys like me and I came here today for an apology.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Bill, I'm fucking well. Can we just can we discuss what's the greatest game of all time? To you? Then, what is your game?
Speaker 1: I think the great the greatest game of all time. This isn't like stand up where he just go Richard Pryor and you're done. No, the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm an underdog guy, so I always like underrated stuff. Like one of the greatest fights I ever saw was Michael Doakes versus Evander Holyfield, and they never bring it up. I don't know why. It's an incredible fight this game they never bring up. Or maybe I'm a contrarian. Maybe that's why the way I keep people away, you know, and I don't let them in, you know, like you know how much I'm enjoying whatever the fuck this is between us. It's fantastic. If I had to sit even closer to you and your Suzanne Summers rebox, I would really be uncomfortable. Susanne Summers, those are men's sneakers.
Speaker 2: These are men.
Speaker 1: Those are men's sneakers. These are that's what you guys are doing. That is the future of this country that a man can walk around. These are borderline slippers. I know they have a stripe on the side of them.
Speaker 2: But these these are the same. These are the same shoes from like nineteen seventy you were.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen the ladies with leg warmers that warre them when I was growing up. No, it looks like you should be doing this.
Speaker 2: This is a nurse Okay, everybody, now, is this a nurse shoe to you?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: It's a nurse shoe? Are you calling?
Speaker 1: No, it's it's feminine. Its transit you. You're very progressive. You're wearing bracelets. I like this whole after football you you know this is you have to sit on your whole career and at this Huh my daughter made that? Was that supposed to make me ease up on you?
Speaker 2: No? That's just all right, literal the truth. You know.
Speaker 1: What's a great thing about I have a seven year old daughter. I went to I don't have a desk or anything because I'm an adult. So I was trying to write out something. So I sat down at her desk. She was this school the great thing, But I'm a seven year old. There was cookie crumbs on top of the desk. It just fucking made me laugh. Like this, kids are so funny. They think that they're sneaking and they always like the level of evidence that they leave kids and people who whack CEOs, it's just the level of like evidence that they leave around. I love that everybody thought that that was a professional hit and he's sitting there talking to some chicken, like Starbucks, DNA, backpack, cell phone, still carrying the gun.
Speaker 2: He was professional enough to do the shelling though, the shell thing.
Speaker 1: You know what I loved about him. I loved his belief, you know that, like he had a whole list and it's like, all right, that's the first guy. Like he was just gonna go around like it was some Tom Cruise movie and like somehow he was like the Bourne identity. He's gonna be like know Tokyo, drifting around city. You're like killing s CEOs. And they weren't going to catch him immediately. I mean, come on, like if he just if he just shot some shithead in the back, oh, I got what's going on in New York and they would eventually got to it. But like the level that they went after that guy, the level you can't have that money can't have money unless they make the call. You can't have some rando coming around to side. And he's not at the table. No, he's not with the illuminati.
Speaker 2: He could be.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a question? When you bring chicks over to you take out the guitar? No, I thought that was yours. I really just just picture the pianis stream weaver.
Speaker 2: It just.
Speaker 1: Serenade. It's after football.
Speaker 2: I need a new angle.
Speaker 1: I can't hit him with the stats anymore.
Speaker 2: No stats. So Bill, what what's what's day life nowadays for you? What are you doing these days?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I just scratched the rim of my car because I can't park new cars anymore. You sit so low in them.
Speaker 2: You don't have a car.
Speaker 1: What kind of car do I have? I have a Jaguar because everybody has a BMW or Mercedes, and I have kids and I needed a back seat. But now I found out that the Jaguar has like the same engine as like the land Rover range Rover.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They're English cars, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: They're like notorious like Lemon Lawn. Is this on the internet or is this on real TV? Then I have to lie and be like range Rovers are a fantastic infessment. No, my mechanic already told me, he goes, no matter what you do with this car, it's it's junk by the time it's one hundred thousand miles and it already like overheated. It's annoying, you know what I mean. So I don't know what I'm gonna do with it.
Speaker 2: My dad's a mechanic, and the first thing he ever told me is never buy an English car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is there? You know?
Speaker 2: They just don't know.
Speaker 1: They're like the worst people on the planet because you take the Germans, like the English, not good with people, not good with people with machines, great with machines. England just oh for two, oh for two, no rush, no floss, and they got meat pies or something over there.
Speaker 2: What is their food? Chips? And are the fish and chips?
Speaker 1: Other people?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They just kind of go around the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do love when I go over and they go, well, what's wrong with America? It's like, well, you started it, the fuck you. This was your baby, you know what I mean, And you taught us how to treat people. That's what's going on with it.
Speaker 2: We don't put it.
Speaker 1: I don't put it all on them.
Speaker 2: A lot of it. I put a lot on the French too.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful room.
Speaker 2: It's cedar.
Speaker 1: This is the age we're at right now. This is I just looked at your Wallas as a beautiful room. You got a little more excited. You go, this is cedar.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: Oh is that so you can have like a like a wolf sweater in here and like.
Speaker 2: It's actually bugs it is. Yeah, cedar wood is like really good with bugs. I think it doesn't allow bugs to live in it.
Speaker 1: I think it's more technical than that. But okay, something like there's something about the wood. This is great. Don't you love the two dumb guys don't know what they're talking about. This is great. This is what people want to listen. Well, let's go with it. Yeah, some they don't like the smell of it.
Speaker 2: I think there's something to do with the radiant. I don't actually don't know, but I just wanted to throw that word out there.
Speaker 1: I like radiant, and I totally bought it when you said it. Yeah, I was like, he knows what this means.
Speaker 2: I have no clue. I'm a dumb football player, Bill Now I'm.
Speaker 1: A stupid comic I do shit jokes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think honestly, for me, I think comics are like some of the smartest people I've met.
Speaker 1: It's because you haven't hung out with us and you're romanticizing the art. No, tell us we're sad clowns. No, we're so happy when they're on stage and then we just walk away.
Speaker 2: You know. No, there's definitely always something that.
Speaker 1: Has I'm glad I was able to make your day more enjoyable. There's all the young comedians out there. That's one of the biggest lies ever that if you do you have enough fucking cameras. Jesus fucking Christ got you on me, like the National News. Okay, this will be if don't buy into that that bullshit that that if you're but you're not going to be funny. If you get married and I find love, you're not going to be funny. It doesn't. It's it's an amazing thing and it gives you a whole new way of viewing the world. And if you're funny, you're funny. That's that's what it is. Right, Like if you somehow serenade the right woman right with that guitar and you get married Does that mean you can't catch a football anymore? Does that mean you don't have the desire?
Speaker 2: I tell you right now, I literally didn't get in relationships during my career because I felt guys got softer when they had marriage. I saw it firsthand. You did.
Speaker 1: They're saying that as far as your research goes.
Speaker 2: As far as my research goes. I felt that because I felt that, like, I saw a couple guys that were you know, I won't put no names out there, but they got married, and it just felt like the main reason wasn't the main reason anymore.
Speaker 1: I tried to say something nice and then you just come at me with facts. I can't argue that, I know, because then they'd be like, you got concussed again, Julian, And you're like, it's just a headache, and they're going, no.
Speaker 2: My hip, that's my hip, it's my cale.
Speaker 1: If Tommy says I can go, that means I can go. Why are you gonna listen to me? And then Bill calls you, Yeah, the game started like a like a week ago. Where the fuck are you? Did you see that recent one? Let Lawrence Taylor drove by Giants Stadium? You saw the lights on him, and he's like, oh fuck, I have a game. Yeah, and showed up in the first quarter.
Speaker 2: He showed up late. They benched him for a series and then he went out and I think he had like seven sacks.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna tell a story. Okay, I don't feel like I'm talking out out of school here, because this is this is uh, this is a funny story. So I'm doing inside the NFL. Phil Simms is on the show and Lawrence Taylor is coming in. So it's Phil, Chris Collinsworth, Laurence, Lawrence Taylor, and me. Right, I mean one of those classic like what in the hell am I doing here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So Lauren hasn't showed up yet, so Phil tells me a story. I can't believe Lawrence Taylor is going to be here. I mean that guy was just like he literally changed the game, and I was just going on and on about him. He goes, you know what's funny about that guy? He goes, he didn't even know the names of the teams in the leagues. I go, get the fuck out of here. He goes, Yeah, he goes. One time, he goes, we were we won some game. They were on the road, and they're on the team plane. They're all hyped and Lawrence is psyched and Phil goes, yeah, hey, man, you know, if the Redskins lose, then we're going to be in first place in our division. And Lawrence goes, uh oh yeah, he goes he goes, who's in our division? And Phil goes, you don't know who's in our division? And he goes, man, I don't give a shit, right, And I'm thinking, like, that is the genius that he held him. Let's say, I don't need extra information in my head. You have a different uniform than me, I'm going to ruin your day. So I thought it was a hilarious story. But as always, you know, you think maybe he put a little mustard on it or whatever. Ten minutes later, Lawrence Taylor comes walking in. Him and Phil both just start laughing, which was great. They just saw each other. They start laughing. They hugged and everything. You just know all the shit that they did back then. Who knows, right, So Laurence sits down and he starts telling stories. Right, They just start telling things, and in the middle of one story goes me, he goes, we were down in uh down in New Orleans, then we would play in the UH and he goes Phil what's the name of that team in New Orleans and he goes to the Saints. He goes, You're play in the Saints. It was unbelievable. And then fat sports writers would would would say that, you know, they would say that he wasn't smart, he was blah blah. It's like that's like some Einstein shit. I'm wearing the same shit every day, so my brain doesn't I only need to worry about Like, you know, you hear all those stories how he would sleep through meetings and then get up and diagram the whole play or they would ask him if it was okay. The guy is like a fucking genius. Genius. But the fact that he didn't even know, like the fact that he's almost like a housewife in the level that he doesn't know the names of the teams. Yet he's the most alpha dominating player that I ever saw. But you know why he seems like he fell out of the sky is because his favorite player was Hollywood Henderson. Yeah, and he was sort of he was like Hollywood Henderson was the gap as far as the linebacking position between like you know, Dick Buckis in that era and him he came and it looked like he was an alien. It was because unfortunately, Hollywood Henderson had like substance abuse problems and it affected his career. But one of the greatest play another underrated play nineteen seventy six. The Steelers are playing the Cowboys and the Steelers kick off. Guess who receives it. Hollywood Henderson. They had a linebacker receiving their kick in nineteen seventy six, like that just didn't happen, and he took it all the way down the field to like they're forty five and Roy Jirella, their kicker, just sort of dove like that and his linebacker knee hit his ribs, broke them, yeah, and fucked him up for the game. And it's a really hard game to watch him. You're a Cowboys fan, because they were running reverses, I think that's what it was. It was a reverse on the on the kickoff, and they were doing all of this shit and then they got up and then they just sat on the ball and the Steelers kept playing and then they came back and beat them.
Speaker 2: Man, how does it feel to be that old to remember a nineteen seventy six game that great.
Speaker 1: I watched it on YouTube. The first one I watched was seventy eight.
Speaker 2: What's the first game you remember watching?
Speaker 1: You know some OJ Simpson was playing in like the early seventies, and my yeah, my dad's screaming at the TV or something. My grandfather going, uh, you know, he's the old days. He's like packing a pipe to smoke it inside.
Speaker 2: The Sherlock Holmes fucking.
Speaker 1: No old men smoked pipe. And I gotta be honest with you to this, Both my grandfathers smoked pipes, and to this day if I smell pipe smoke, it puts me in like the greatest mood because both my grand grandfathers with these amazing like guys guys. Yeah, so that was probably the first one. But I've also like gone back in, like I've watched all of this history of the NFL, and I'll tell you a great guy and he just passed away unfortunately, and in the NFL never gave him his due. Was this guy Marlin Briscoe. Brisco he played for the Broncos, black quarterback. They drafted him. He was like second or third string or something like that, and both white quarterbacks go down this is like the late sixties and he goes in and you immediately see the modern modern day NFL. It wasn't just standing there throwing like that. He was all over the field more Randall Cunningham, I would say, than Michael Vick. And he won like six of the last seven games something crazy. And then you know they didn't make the playoffs because they were having a bad season before he got in there. And then the next season the team just drafted another high rank white guy and they shipped him off the Buffalo and he finished his career as a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, sounds like the sixties.
Speaker 1: Well this is what sixties sounded like right through the nineties, I feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess so that's.
Speaker 1: What like, this is like all of this shit that I can was so fucked up as I can remember all of that stuff, and I think because I looked at the football cards and I remember all the names. And then I also went back and I was fascinated, like what happened right before I started watching football and then today's game, Like if you know you you age out as a player, I also feel you can age out as a as a fan, and like how certain teams like they sort of aged out when during like free agency because their whole thing was the draft and their scouts, and then when the game became more free agency, they didn't adjust. I would say as a fan that the fan version of that is I didn't get involved in fantasy football. Yeah, so now I don't know the player's name, I don't know what's going on. And then like I also feel like they kind of sold their souls all professional sports for offense because they had reached maximum density with sports fans, and then offense gets the casual fans. Yeah, and I think that they are envious of the UFC to see them start so much later than them but then go global. But there's something about soccer, football whatever, and and fighting it just transcends all borders and all that, which I find like really fascinating. Not fighting, because fighting, you know, it's like I remember Joe Rogan telling this story saying, like, you know, if you're driving on the street and there's two people playing you know, catch or whatever, playing base, you know you're not going to really watch because but if you drive down the street and you see a fight, like you you got to watch it. And it was sort of like this really yeah easy way of explaining how their thing got as big as it dig and I don't know what it is about soccer, but every but he seems it seems to enjoy it because all you need is a ball, say that about whop, I guess you need you need a basketball.
Speaker 2: Basketball is also very global. Yeah, okay, you know what I mean. Yeah, so your.
Speaker 4: Point about like how football is kind of change and involved and sold it sold for offense is a conversation we have behind the scenes on this show a lot because we go watch a five game, we watch a game from the early two thousands, and the game is so different.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you don't even want to hear my conspiracy theory. Like my conspiracy theory right now is is the NFL is in a bad place because they only have one great quarterback. True as far as like there's always been braiding Brady Manning, you know, uh what about Lway.
Speaker 2: Marino quarterback, So Mahomes.
Speaker 1: Mahomes is the guy that sells the tickets. I'm not saying that's not like great talent at that position, but nobody has put up sort of like he doesn't have his you know, hatfield and McCoy guy. So it's sort of their own. The only storyline they have right now is Canny three p. So that's why, like the ridiculous that guy took his helmet off from the fucking end zone, the rep says, put it back on. I mean, it's just like he's like, you realize this is televised, right, Like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: So you know that's a penalty, supposed to be a penalty. Take your helmet off. It's fifteen. Yeah, now we're it's it's very fascinating to me that you know your sports shit, like you know this shit. I know eras where did I know an era? Where does this sports fandom come from? Like is your grandpa smoking the pipe watching the Patriots or where did this all come from?
Speaker 1: Well, my grandfather was you know, he was he was super old. He was born like eighteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: Jesus fucking yeah.
Speaker 1: He had like my dad was a product of a second marriage, so like he had kids. What was really late in life, which is like he was like almost forty, you know, so he was like in the we like horses, old dad, horses, Yeah, horses, boxing in baseball. So if you look at the turn of the last century, horse racing and boxing with the two biggest sports, and then baseball came on. So he was living through that and like, you know, as far as like, you know, having a cool car back then was like being able to handle a horse. Having I'm probably a stable full of horses. I don't know, that was like some man shit. So he was into that. And then he saw, you know, Babe Ruth and all of that, that whole baseball thing come on and and like all of a sudden being able to listen to it on the radio and all of that. So he was he was kind of into the radio. And you know, he was like a classic older guy. Both of them. They were quiet, you know what I mean, and and uh just you know, smoke. The pipe would have, you know, a little two fingers whatever whatever their their drink. Everybody had like their drink. And you smoked and you look like you were fifty when you were thirty. Was like that's just the way it was back then. But I remember I related. I related to them, and I didn't know why. But now that I am an old man, you're not that old, but I'm fifty six, dude, I'm fucking old. Right, you look good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was saying the other day, fifty six times too is dead?
Speaker 2: All right? So like it is, it is.
Speaker 1: You can go to whatever personal trainer and they do your blood be like you're fifty six, but your you know, your fucking ankle is thirty eight. With that dumb shit that they say to get you to keep coming back, it's like, no, it's fifty. Everything on me is fifty six years old. I might look better than the average fifty six year old, but you know my heart has been beaten for you know, over a half a century. So that that is what it is.
Speaker 2: So it must be the avocados. Bill came here immediately had to scarf down an avocado because he's on that Hollywood diet. Now I am out of Boston guy, Now, Boston guy, that's that's the least Boston thing you've ever done in front of me.
Speaker 1: That's the first fucking thing I've ever done in front of you. I mean I've make you once at the comedy store and then there a couple other times. But yeah, I remember, all right, what's the most Boston thing I ever did? Make fun of?
Speaker 2: Your fucking SnO, that that was that's a Boston thing, even though they look like they're from fucking Southis.
Speaker 1: But you know what I'm gonna be. You can pull them off and that might be a compliment, that might be an insult and dog gone it. You should make the you should wear the sneakers that make you feel the prettiest.
Speaker 2: Are they that ugly?
Speaker 1: No, they're just really feminine because you're No, I just think No, I don't know what it is. There's just something about the soul. It's like that is not an active person.
Speaker 2: That's gum.
Speaker 1: That is like that is the soul of so that lets somebody else drive culy. Well you're doing all right? I don't know, Like that's what those sneakers say to me. Do you want to go out to dinner? Yeah? And I don't know what I want. That's the whole other side of you. I don't want to see. I want to keep the myth.
Speaker 2: What's the myth?
Speaker 1: I don't know. You spoke in proper English earlier and it really made me happy.
Speaker 2: Why I can't speak.
Speaker 1: It said, I got you got dip in your That's just what I need. I need as someone who failed horrifically in athletics, I need to see the.
Speaker 2: Flaws you're seeing nobody. You're fucking out.
Speaker 1: I'm not. I'm kidding. I'm kidding. You look like you can still play.
Speaker 2: So Grandpa, Pops, old ass Dad, old guy, eighteen hundred Grandpa, that's fucking.
Speaker 1: Eighteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is Nars so over sports fandom.
Speaker 1: He almost owned a slave. I mean, this guy was way back.
Speaker 2: He probably did. And I don't know if we'll probably have to cut that out.
Speaker 1: Dude, Why why is us history? Why do we have to act like?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: Always fascinated me. I never got this sketch on Chappelle's show, but I wrote this sketch for day. It's one of my favorite people in this business. There was this weird thing, you know, because I'm always watching this old footage on sports. They would tell the history of baseball separately. They would talk about in the nineteen fifties, oh boy, oh boy, it was the golden age of baseball, and you know, you know Willie Mickey and the Duke and I used to go to center field and whoopie doopy there was there was Duke Schneider right or whatever, and then they had the other side, Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, and it was super ugly and people throwing black cats on the field and saying all of this shit. But they told those two stories separately, you know what I mean, for some weird reasons. So I wrote this sketch where Dave was watching like one of those Billy Crystal going to a Yankee game things and just fantasize, oh boy, oh boy, I wish I'd played during the Golden Age of baseball. And then he went back, and of course, like it was like, and here we are, nineteen fifty four, the Golden Age love. And then you know, he come up to the place God Themailia Blacks, and then and there's the mick oh, Mickey Mannle and this all this, the duality of it struck me as funny got it on. Though he would have killed that, he killed everything.
Speaker 2: Now, Billy Crystal, big Yankees guy you ever met?
Speaker 1: I love Billy Crystal. And one of the movie and I also underrated movie was Mister Saturday Night.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it.
Speaker 1: I love that movie. And that movie very subtly is sort of a blueprint for stand a stand up comedy career. Of some of the pitfalls that you can fall and I haven't I haven't seen it in a while, but it's just like kind of getting carried away with your ego, uh, dying on a hill like that thing when he when he when he he finally gets his show, and in his head he's like, don't say it, don't say it. It was what's with your fucking hair? Whatever he said, and then he gets fired the self sabotage the I haven't seen it a while, but like, you know, having you got the one, the girl, and then you're looking at other women, you've just fucked the whole thing up.
Speaker 2: It was really a.
Speaker 1: I love that movie. I love that movie. So and then also, you know, I used to watch him with Robin and whoopee, the comic relief. I saw him all the way back on soap which you don't even remember, which was the late seventies, so I basically was and then watched him hosting the Oscars and yeah, and it was a cool thing as a wanna be comedian and then becoming a comedian because they never gave comedies oscars. There was sort of like this subtle thing like, Okay, so you actors are so goddamn great, how come you can't host you show you need you need a comedian, and how many times he did it, the great job that he did with it, so I was I was a huge fan. And then he did a show with Josh Gadd that only went a season and it's just still like a phantom limb. I wanted to see how it played out. And it was like they were playing he was playing this older entertainer and he was this younger entertainer for whatever reasons, their careers where they were at, they needed each other there and I mean it maybe it was too inside baseball, but it was absolutely brilliant and they were so great and and it was, uh, there's a there's a few of those TV series that I watched. It was one on Showtime, The Brotherhood, and that I think it was sort of loosely based on The Bulgers, and that one went away.
Speaker 2: No, you look at Billy Crystal and.
Speaker 1: Sorry I went off on a tangent. You really needed to regroup.
Speaker 2: There, No I did. I did, but I was thinking, you're lady completely didn't. I completely didn't understand anything you just said. But yes, you did not really stop playing dumb. No, You're not a dumb guy.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty dumb listen, being able to figure out where to sit down on a zone with twenty two people fucking running around.
Speaker 2: That's different.
Speaker 1: That's what happened to you as a child, that you can't take a compliment, that you have to hide behind this pillow.
Speaker 2: My dad never gave me one.
Speaker 1: Oh oh you had one of those?
Speaker 2: Oh definitely did.
Speaker 1: You have to walk behind the station wagon with your cleats over your shoulder?
Speaker 2: Suburban? But yeah, we had the old ninety one bourbon everyone knew. Yeah it catches. Yeah, you take you something. Why did you have not literally used to get grounded if you get out of my fucking car, you piece of shit dude? It was I had a crazy life like that where I would get grounded if I didn't go for it for four in baseball, basketball turnovers, Dad make me. My dad heard a story that remember white chocolate Jason Williams, His dad tied his right hand to his behind his back and made him dribble with his left up and down the street. My dad used to make me do that, like my dad was psycho.
Speaker 1: You know. It's funny when I think about where were the moms during those eras.
Speaker 2: Someone was smoking a cigarettes watching just we're kind of trailer trash.
Speaker 1: Mine was inside.
Speaker 2: I know you're from Boston and I'm from California, even though you said I was from Kansas, but.
Speaker 1: You just sound like you're from Kansas and you're doing dip. You picked up a lot of bad habits, the intellect, the dip. Definitely, it's up Kansas. I'll be there in a week now, kidding. Actually, bucket list, I want to go to Jayhawks basketball game. I somehow became a fan of this. Yeah, a long time ago at the was at the fieldhouse or whatever field house?
Speaker 2: Why do you love sports? I still don't understand it. You know so much about this shit?
Speaker 1: Well, what else am I going to do? Watch CNN and Fox News and watch those guys lie and then go do blow and fuck the same hookers after their show's done. Why would I sit there and watch that? So then I try to watch sports, and I'm trying to get away from all of this shit that I'm seeing. And now what do they have a baseball stand up for cancer? And everybody's crying about somebody who died from cancer. No one's saying, well, they turned our food supply into poison. They don't bring that part up. You just hold a sign that says Larry and you start crying. And I'm trying to watch a fucking baseball game. If you're not gonna do anything about the food supply, I don't want to see the people that you killed during game.
Speaker 2: So what's your Boston hierarchy of sports?
Speaker 1: Boston hierarchy? Well, well pick, I'll give you my my top five top five and okay, you gotta go, Bill Russell. As far as the Celtics hierarchy, Bill Russell, that's the foundation. Listen, are you gonna let me answer it? You're just gonna do it.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna Bobby Larry Bird.
Speaker 1: You probably lived in Southee and you stole cars, and you were good at math, and you said, how do you like them apples? Huh? Listen, I already I already was judging you because you were from Kansas, but the fact that you're from California. You know what's funny about Republicans is they love TV people. They were fucking because I was just thinking, like the other day, it's like they keep electing the host of a reality show TV star, right. They like the host of the Apprentice, they like Schwarzeneger movies, Reagan No, and then watching like Trump, I don't know what he's doing. He's like talking about national security with doctor Phil. Have you seen his ratings now? It's like it's like Trump, this is a little more fucking important. And then he replaced a warmonger with dementia. The joke I've been doing my actors the last three president's elections. We're picking presidents the way the Browns pick quarterbacks. We got. We're in this vortex we got, we gotta get out of it. And then fortunately somebody comes along and whacks the CEO and gives us a chance to breathe a little.
Speaker 2: So who's the Baker?
Speaker 1: Like, what are we doing? Huh?
Speaker 2: Who's the Baker Mayfield of presidents? In that?
Speaker 1: I love Baker Maks.
Speaker 2: I do too, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know what I love that. I love that Colin Cowhard has to stay up at night knowing he was wrong and can't get himself to admit it, and his desk is just going to keep getting bigger. I still have to go to a physical therapist. Looking up at him during those interviews I did on his show, Oh my god, look at that. Would you look at that, Ty debtmur, I can't.
Speaker 4: Even Charlie Fry isn't win from the Brady draft, Yes, Spurgeon.
Speaker 1: Brady Quinn Jake, well not the loan from uh the Panthers. They got rid of him. He was a fucking baller. He almost beat us. Uh, I was not afraid of the Super Bowl even remore Colt McCoy, dude, they they should, they should get all of these guys together and sit around the biggest round table you could ever get, like a forty seven person round table, and it's just called I was drafted number one by the Browns, and you and and you talk about all the success you had at all levels leading up to that, and then he went to the Browns and nobody blocked. And now for the rest of your life, you go into a Dick Sporting Good and some mantated fat fuck gets to say you sucked, like that's that's what you're signing up for.
Speaker 2: Baker Bak won a playoff game for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what what? What is my fascination was? It wasn't always we were in the hierarchy of Boston, but oh okay, all right, Bill Russell Uh wait a second, stop throwing fucking bird in there. Everybody's gonna say Bird. There's other Matt Damon Ben a flat fucking mock Wahlberg.
Speaker 2: I'm a Billburg guy.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Joey mack Alright, Bird, will that get you to stop? Will that get you to stop?
Speaker 2: All right? Russell, you notice my posture.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm gonna be like laying flat by the end of this, crying about her childhood.
Speaker 2: So Ernie came in here and talked for three hours, and by the end he was like this sleeping all right.
Speaker 1: Well, there's two different lists. There's the people that I liked and then the best ever. Okay, some of them are on the same list, so like the best ever. You gotta go, Bird, I mean, uh Bill Russ Bird, I'm going like Celtics right now. And that's it. I'm kidding. I'm too old to remember anybody past the fucking nineties. Then he got it, Bobby orr who even warning Gretzky's I said, that's the greatest of all time. Cam Neely, cam Neely, you want fifty goals? And I beat the fuck out of your team? You know that guy? And he owned the Canadians when we couldn't beat the Canadians and we were all I'm like, oh, we'll go in to the form, we're gonna lose. He would get a hat trick on Patrick Waugh, who changed the game for move.
Speaker 2: On, Kenny Lely. Do you have a take on Olf Samuelson?
Speaker 1: Do I have a take on him?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: My only take on that guy is that whenever I hear Pittsburgh fans whining about what they did to Sidney Crosby in his career, it's like, you have Alf Samuelson in your ring of honor. So I mean, I don't I mean, live by this, sword, die by this. They also had Matt Cook. I mean, they just they like guys like that unless they're coming at them. So, you know, I don't know, you know, whatever Ulf did, he had, he had like a long career, but I mean I just don't I don't think like going at somebody's knees. I don't think that, you know, Okay, So then what did what did that do for hockey? That took Cam Neely away? And then you're left with Alf Samuelson. So like, I don't mind guys that played physical and that type of thing. You know, the guys that were on the line, like Claude Claudeleineux. All right, that guy did a lot of dirty ship, but he could also he could play the game. So it's you know, I don't know, you know what, fuck you for bringing his name up all the fucking championships and.
Speaker 2: It's fucking sky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but western Massachusetts, that's that's not even America. Forget about Massachusetts. That's just like people who can't find the Appalachian Trail. Look at his beard. Do you think he has running water in his house?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't either. And then as far as Patriots, I mean John Hannah, Andre Tippetti, you gotta go. Steve Grogan, one of the greatest, toughest fucking guys.
Speaker 2: Grogan, Dude.
Speaker 1: Grogan played the last five years of his career wearing a neck brace. He looked like he just got to a car accident. And he played on AstroTurf. And he would hold that fucking ball until the like the camera would always go at the ball. He would just see him fly out of frame as the ball went like that way, and he would just get up. The guy just would get up. Yeah, he was Oh my god, that naked bootleg on Monday Night football.
Speaker 2: Fifty yardists didn't see it.
Speaker 1: Fucking white guy giving us all hope we can run. I could make it. Uh Stanley Morgan, there it is.
Speaker 2: He wore.
Speaker 1: First of all, he had the same genetics as Peyton Manning, where they just had extra neck, you know what I mean, like usually the helmet fits the thing. I don't know what, I don't know what. You know, I don't think Peyton's that brighter guy. So he's always cheating on people, you know the papers. I think that that's what happened. I'm just fucking with I love Peyton, but the fucking guy. I did his show, and all he did was like he was like, remember when ELI did this. It's like, yeah, I do, I don't remember when you did it? Yeah, he always does that. Oh my god. The cheating ass Colts, the fucking cheating ass Colts. Brilliant dude.
Speaker 2: You know what, I didn't realize how much I hated the Colts until I started doing a podcast with Gronk and seeing how much he hated the Colts.
Speaker 1: Dude, you really hate the biggest whining bitches that ever.
Speaker 2: Fucking It's AFC Championship Banner runner up that's what they have. They have an AFC runner up.
Speaker 1: How about how about the fact their owners sat on the competition committee and made the way we were covering their receivers illegal, and then they stole our offense and won a fucking Super Bowl and they didn't say anything, which I don't give a fuck. It's a dirty game. But don't go around weighing a football, I mean, what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Same amount of their footballs were underinflated, underinflated, and he hired this guy who said he was a scientist who wasn't. How about the fact that I still can't stand him right now.
Speaker 1: How about the fact that the owner of a losing team was allowed to conduct an independent investigation that was upheld by the NFL. Roger Goodell that appetizer eating fucking Fred Flintstone looking savage. Okay, I get it. You gotta protect your connections. I'm not a fan. The first thing Roger Goodell needs to do is buy a suit that fucking fits all right. He always looks like he just ate a bunch of potatoes. Skins that big duve Fred Flintstone had he he should have been like, you're not conducting an independent investigation. I do that, you're not gonna be who the fuck are you? And he went like, oh yeah, this looks pretty good. Like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: What was that quick question? Why do all comedians drink drink the liquid death?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I initially got into this ship because because it's rather than being a plastic bottle and.
Speaker 2: This you're so green friendly.
Speaker 1: You just you ask questions and then you fucking interrupt. I never even got to my list.
Speaker 2: Well, I just don't. I got random. I'm random eight so ripped.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he's wearing women's shoes and now he's explaining away his behavior with diagnosis. Are you self diagnosed as add or don't know? Can I tell you something you don't You don't have a d d well childhood trauma. No, Well that if you actually sat still and you figure you sat and thought about what a dick your dad was, that's why that's me. I like me. My my dad was a fucking loom. I don't know what happened to him with old pipe smoker. By the time I met him, he was fucking ninety. I don't know what he did when he's still when he's still his last couple of years in the league when he was forty. I don't know what he did to my dad, but you know we all paid for it. So like, I literally cannot fucking sit still in my own house. I have to be doing I'm playing a guitar. I'm over here, I'm fucking making an egg. I'm just like, I'm all over the place.
Speaker 2: I'm right there with you. Yeah, but I was a little bit or like third grade. The principal brought my parents into the the office and said, yeah, we we recommend your your son needs riddling. My dad almost fought him. That's a good dad, because you ain't putting my kid on medicine. Frank, oh, Frank, you.
Speaker 1: Know, came up with riddling teachers who couldn't control the classroom, so they just started drugging class clowns.
Speaker 2: And that's me.
Speaker 1: And that's the story that they don't want you to know. So Russell Bird, you can fact check that on the internet, where you can lie your ass off on your grove.
Speaker 2: John Hannah, John Hannah, Mike Haynes, No Brady, Mike Haynes Hanes.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm still in pat Patriot years.
Speaker 2: I mean, how many fucking people are on the hierarchy usually I'm mount rost to you. Yet no, I didn't want to be on there.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna to give you at the end of this podcast. I'm gonna give you the hug your dad never gave you.
Speaker 2: I see him looking at me right now and really thinking about like, yeah, this kid's he needs a hug. No, he needs a hug.
Speaker 1: Or maybe I'm just projecting. Maybe I'm hoping that I could get a hug from the hands that caught that ball right off the turf. Maybe that could have Maybe you could hold me gently rocked me before I go to my next dancing monkey gig that I have to do.
Speaker 2: You do do you do do a lot of these dancing monkey gigs? Because I do?
Speaker 1: And this is probably the bottom of.
Speaker 2: The list, clearly not because three weeks ago Bill Burr actually showed up to the fucking house. I have him on my goddamn.
Speaker 1: I clicked on the wrong address and I fucking came to the house and they were like, you're not here for like another three weeks, and I was like, fuck, I mean that is my day, every fucking day, Like I just wake up and you know, I got to start moving forward to get the demons behind me. It's I call it the smoke. I gotta stay ahead of the smoke. So I I I clicked on the wrong day and I ended up out here how far away was supposed to be on this side of the you know, oh over there. You know, it was what it was. And then I got there and it didn't matter, you know what I mean. I was like all stressed out. They're like, no, it's fine, it's fine. It's like so one of these times just arbitrary, like you know, ten o'clock whenever you want to get here, Like, I don't like being late.
Speaker 2: You weren't he was, actually you were ten minutes early here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I had to eat my avocado.
Speaker 2: Avocado. Okay, so we have we have the hierarchy of athletes. What's the high?
Speaker 1: I know, we never even got through it. Keep going, all right? So then I get to you guy, all right, Ben Coates, I love it. Type Russ Francis. I forgot Russ Francis.
Speaker 2: Fucking good.
Speaker 1: Uh Steve Nelson, Uh, Bill and Kitis, Leon Gray, Raymond Claiborne, Tim Fox, Ohio State, Oh my god, that guy used to fucking hit people. Sam Cunningham, come on, Stanley Morgan, I said him, said, all right, okay, now we're in Drew Bledsoe, Ben Coates, Curtis Martin.
Speaker 2: Bloodsoe, you loved blood. Everyone loved Bloodsoe.
Speaker 1: Teddy dude, he made us legit. Uh Teddy Bruce Ki Uh, Willie McGinnis, will Yeah, I mean all of the fucking guys. All of the guys, all of the fucking guys.
Speaker 2: What about your sports, Tom Brady, how does your fandom in sports go? Does it?
Speaker 1: And then I can only pick one white wide receiver, so I'll go with Wes.
Speaker 2: Welker standard standard.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, Julian Edelman, you're on the list, buddy.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I didn't forget about you.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't care how much you ever fail me. I'll never make you get out of the car.
Speaker 2: Did have to walk home from a practice one because of that?
Speaker 1: There you go, and you know it's funny. You know what's funny about being brought up like that is then your idea of what being good and normal is just you know, a little east of how you grew up, and you don't realize you're you're you know, until you meet somebody, hopefully that grew up in a good family. Like I remember one of my brothers, right was got into it with a girlfriend and he was going off on her and she goes, stop yelling at me, and he goes, I'm not yelling.
Speaker 2: That's yelling.
Speaker 1: That's what he did, like and she had never heard that.
Speaker 2: I hear that all the time that I yell. I don't think I agree with that. I'm not yelling. I just speak loud.
Speaker 1: My problem is is when someone is taking advantage of me. I have an inability to express my feelings without using the F word, Like God helped me. If when you die, God's gonna judge you and he starts bringing up my stuff, I mean I'm gonna be I mean, come here, you gotta get me a fucking break. I was fucking. I immediately would start talking like that. Back into a corner, I go F word. Some people start swinging. I don't I go. I go F word, F bombs, F bombs. Like I sit there and like in my like when I because I know I'm crazy, Like if I have to have a confrontation with somebody, I am outside in my backyard walking around whispering what I want to say, and then I get all wound up, and then I'm whispering for okay, it's just something I.
Speaker 2: Want to talk to you about.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying you're a bad guy, but you know, And then like five minutes saying, I mean, you know, dude, what the fuck you can't fucking say that you didn't fucking know that you were fucking dog, I can back down, okay, And I just like, I just and I'll do that for like forty minutes, and and I don't I don't how many.
Speaker 2: People are in your head?
Speaker 1: Is you're like, oh, that's a great question. You can let me finish this list. Okay, there's uh the what did I used to say? I don't fucking care. I don't give a fuck. There's that kid is uh. There's the belief guy way back in the head, belief, way back in the head, and he kind of does that. Yeah, I don't give a fuck. I don't care. There's that guy. And that's all from like when shit was happening to me. It was the only way you could deal with it. I don't give a fuck. I don't care. There's low self esteem guy, There's delusional guy. There's a lot in there. There's a lot in there. It's definitely a full sized car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see it.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe an suv. There's a lot of people in there, but the one that is the belief guy was the one that I would always go to because I had to, because I had I had not because other than that, it was bleak. Well, Jesus, that was sad.
Speaker 2: Very sad.
Speaker 1: No, you could not have been more emotionless. That was sad, very sad, very sad. All right, well, I felt like we were right at the end of the therapy session. All right, I need to make more money, so you get the fuck out of here. Try not to make eye contact with the person in the waiting room. Is there ever anything worse than the overlap? You know when you go long and then you see the next person and then they see You're like, ah, yeah, you're fucked up too. Huh. You know what's funny about your your lack of emotion, it pairs well with your eyes.
Speaker 2: Are you looking deeper?
Speaker 1: There's something about you have like husky eyes, like that's the one dog. You don't know what the fuck it's thinking because the eyes, the eyes are like mirrors, Like is it gonna pull the sledder? Is it going to use me as a food source. Like, that's how I feel. We're just just.
Speaker 2: You're looking deep into my eyes. I like that.
Speaker 1: Listen, you can try to make this as gay as you want while you wear those things. I don't. I don't give a shit. I'm just letting you know. I have no idea what you're thinking.
Speaker 2: On a scale of one to gay? What is it? What?
Speaker 1: What is what? Where are we going? Your eyes, your sneakers, soccer mom's sweatpants. What are you transitioning?
Speaker 2: We're transitioning. We got a transition fifty in the books. We gotta get we gotta get in bill.
Speaker 1: Are they starting some women's football league? You want to dominate.
Speaker 2: Fascist sports?
Speaker 1: Why did you cut your deck off growing? I couldn't shut it off.
Speaker 2: Women's flag football, flag football, fascist growing sport for women right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am a fan of women's sports, and you know what, women need to be fans too, you know, and stop bitching at us because we're not watching it. You need to go out and support women. Okay, stop fucking just putting your hands up at a Beyonce concert and thinking that's all you have to do with your life. You have a lot more supporting to do. Okay, So dude, I'm fucking killing on this part. I hope you appreciate this.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I just got so much MATERI sit next to you. I like your old man walking in the mall.
Speaker 2: Socks, got it? I bought those off Amazon. This is dicky socks.
Speaker 1: There's two times in your life your doctor tells you to go for a walk. The first time you become a fat fuck and he tells you to take up golf. Then all these fat focks go there, and what's the first thing they do? They get a cart, right, and then you just drive around in the knife hole. They load up on calories, and if you don't drop of a heart attack fall out of the cart, at some point you live longer. Then they tell you to walk in these abandoned malls, and then from your calves down you have the exact fucking footwear. The only thing you need is the velcrow stress bell cru one of them, like it has to be bigger than the other, like one of your legs is retaining fluid.
Speaker 2: Those compression socks. Thoughts on this the current state of the Patriots. No, Bill, can I call you Bill Will? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, it's it's fine, right, Why would you call me? Will? What point did you?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I called Bill Belichick Will.
Speaker 1: Oh you do?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No? No?
Speaker 1: Did you ever get inside that head?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 2: He doesn't let anyone in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well he's the modern day Paul Brown. Do you ever read on what Paul Brown did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he started the Browns and then he went down to Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: In other words, you didn't no.
Speaker 2: If he could read, he would though if I could read.
Speaker 1: Paul Brown was in the league. It was called like the something, the AAFL, some fucking thing like that.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: They went three years, the Cleveland Browns with Auto Graham the first Tom Brady right fucking wins. They win the championship all three years. Then he goes into the NFL in nineteen fifty and the NFL was laughing at them, saying they're not gonna do shit, and he ends up going to the championship game like four years in a row and wins one, either two or three of them. Then Bobby Lane came with the Lions. So one of the things that they did with him is they tried to figure out, how is this guy winning so many games? And what it was was he was the first guy that took the kicking aspect of the game seriously. And he had a field goal kicker what the fuck was it was an offensive lineman, of course, and he was kicking straight on what's oh yeah, what was his name? Yeah? And this guy was lights out lou grou the toe grozer. There you go. So and they were winning all of these games by three points and two points and everything. So he was the guy like it was. It was him realizing that that was important and that could be a competitive advantage. That oh my god, how did I leave off? Adam Vinitari? Oh he is he? Is he in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: Yet have they put they put out this year?
Speaker 1: Fucking ridiculous? Okay, that guy is first ballot, no question, Hall of Famer. Adam vinitariy apologies, he probably shut this podcast off walking around. They never got it. You're never gonna with knowledge as kickers is that?
Speaker 2: I was a Gaskowski guy? Who's that was?
Speaker 1: That? The guy was kind of fat.
Speaker 2: That was our kicker for my whole career. That oh Staniskowski Guskowski Steve Gazkowski.
Speaker 1: Oh I think you said, go to Kowski. I listen. You get to a certain age you can't remember kickers' names. I'm at that age.
Speaker 2: I get it. I can't remember a lot of things.
Speaker 1: You know, I liked with a dolt. Remember Reggie Robi No for the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, who was the guy that had the block foot? My dad always talked about him.
Speaker 1: Dem yeah, yep, and beat the Lions. That's why the Lions they got to win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just like they've been losing for almost seventy years, since forty seven years, since there was yeah, the forty and they've lost to everybody.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this quick break. No eye contact, No, I haven't think. I don't. I can't make eye contact.
Speaker 1: Oh when you think yeah, when I think, well, let's work, you're intimidating. No, let's work on that. Let's work on that. You have some nice blue stare into my eyes and explain the four minute of this. You should have called my bluff because I wouldn't be able to handle it. Because when he looks at you long enough, you can smell the mint of his fucking jew is.
Speaker 2: Harry Gance gold Bandit Copenhagen.
Speaker 1: Copenhagen, Do you know bad? I want to try that, but I know I shouldn't.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't throw up right away we're talking about it. You couldn't handle it.
Speaker 1: I like that reverse psychology.
Speaker 2: No, I'm telling you, dude, you know what you guys can't You can't do it.
Speaker 1: Just at the end of this pockcast smash cut to me puking in his backyard and then just got told you, dude, I.
Speaker 2: Told you so, can wed you Paul Brown? We were talking about Paul Brown.
Speaker 1: No, we got passed. I want to check just where you stopped listening.
Speaker 2: Started this in Sinanati, Bengals. Yes, and the Browns.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what came out of that and what came out of that. But the West Coast offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with Bill Walsh it's the Midwest.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And because they had that quarterback with that unbelievable arm and then he got hurt because I think it was a rotator cuff and they didn't know how to deal with that back then, so then they had to do the short quick passes that yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they replaced the run with short pass Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because the quarterback blew out of his arm.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: That's what it was. The guy had Bill Walsh to his dieing day said, whoever the fuck that guy was, was the greatest talent he ever saw that quarterback. Yeah, and that might I don't know if that was a dig with him Montana, I don't know what, but that's what he said. And then he was next in line when Paul Brown stepped down. But Paul Brown, I don't know, for whatever reason, thought that Bill Walsh had some mental issues. And not only did he he pass over him, he sort of motherfucked him around the league. Yeah, So then he went to San Diego, became like a receivers of quarterbacks coach, then went to Stanford, rebuilt his career, and ironically enough, eighty one plays the Bengals in the Super Bowl before they and they said, do you feel is this anything extra special because it's the Bengals? And he said no. In the first play they called was some classic razzle dazzle Paul Brown shit from the nineteen fifties. That was his fuck you to him, and then he wonted, how fucking I just that's that's one of my favorite ones as far as you know, people not believing in you and then coming back and rubbing the nosing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy, No, No, because I just thought about when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: You guys, I want you guys to do a compilation of his underwhelmed responses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, cool. I thought about it.
Speaker 1: If you had an astronaut on here yet talking about walking on the moon.
Speaker 2: A rocky scientist Matty Patricia, No, I was thinking about Bill Walsh. I actually when I was a kid, because I grew up in the Bay Area, I was rehabbing my I broke my back in high school from overuse stress fracture, and I was rehabbing.
Speaker 1: And your dad, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well that's three hundred cuts a night, and you're taking three hundred batting practice swings a night, and we're out.
Speaker 1: Jesus, did you ever read Andrea Augusty's book, No, open, dude, it's forget about a sword. It's what you can read. Not really sit in the backyard, get yourself from deep right. You can listen to it.
Speaker 2: That's that's right.
Speaker 1: You know what they have now for adults. They have people that read you a story. It is Once upon a time. My name was Andrea Augusty. The amazing thing about that guy is he didn't even want to play tennis. His dad decided he was going to be a tennis player, and not only does he become a professional tennis player, he becomes one of the greats of all time and one of a handful of people to win on all three surfaces. Yeah, Clay the grass, in the in the in the parking lot.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And it's one of the most incredible books I've read because it's like, you know, Open Championships, and then also he's like totally just saying he's that. You just don't feel like there's one lie in the book. It's amazing that. And and Steve Gorman's book about being the Drummer and the Black Crows. You get like three pages into that book, You're like, this man's not getting back together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta I gotta check that out. I've watched some ship on Andrea Gacy. He had that he was all on like drugs and ship too, right, wasn't he like he got it into like crack.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that part of the book.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: I just remember as a bald guy when he started. He went bald early, but.
Speaker 2: He had long hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was like super hairy. He was like super hairy, So you know, the super hairy guys always, that's why you like him. No, So he was he was saying he had a piece, he was wearing a piece, and he was playing in this big match and he was sweating so much he was worried it was gonna come off, and it fucked him up. He just talks about everything. He was on TV wearing a fucking two pey with the most epic mullet anybody had ever seen, and all these chicks loved him, and so much of his brand at that point was because he I think well, early on in his career he was like the sex symbol, all the ones that the chicks liked, but he hadn't won anything big yet, so that was all. You know, the man tit guys were given him shit about that. So if that thing came, oh my god, I mean he never he never would have liked that. First of all, that would have been all the sponsorship gone. I mean, I want to if you can recover from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can. I think that's just because you're bald. You're probably insecure about dude.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, not no, no, Once you shave a head, you don't give a fuck. You know what's great about this haircut. I'm always ready to go, always always, So I'm gonna just throw a shirt on. People think I took a shower. I'm showered in weeks.
Speaker 2: Do you shine it? Huh? How come it's so shining?
Speaker 1: Do you put a super white because I have superior genes?
Speaker 2: But like, how often do you shave it?
Speaker 1: But I said that, I go, this is gonna go one of two ways. They're you gonna laugh at that joke or get really silent, like, oh Jesus, Bill, you really are from Massachusetts because LA is so open minded. I love how they had like this vibe, like they're fucking open minded. And every time the Lakers win a championship, within two minutes a police car is overturned and on fire. What is that an expression of how happy non white people are in this city? All right?
Speaker 2: Cool? Go ahead, awesome Belichick at UNC, what are our thoughts on that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't I I like that he's back coaching, But I'm also I'm sort of more fascinated with this move that college football is doing. Like how much is the NFL freaking out about a football march madness at the end of their NFL schedule? I mean, who the fuck is excited about Week seventeen eighteen when I can watch the first time ever what is it eighteen? Teams are gonna go out, it's gonna be it's gonna be insane. And now I can watch guilt free because they're getting paid. Yeah, I don't have to sit there and think, oh, you know, there's some booster making all of this money. He's got a yacht, you know, and some blow and all of this, And like that Willis mcgahey hits one of the hardest plays I've ever seen to watch as far as first grotesque, and then also like the kid made no money, how about his agent, huh on the phone with him? Good for him? Good for him. So I'm more fascinated with that. And then Okay, so now you got this guy that was what forty years in the NFL, and now he's coming down there, and I think I'm like crazy. I think a lot of college coaches have haven't had to deal with players getting paid on like a lot some of them coach the NFL, went up to NFL, came back down or whatever. But I think he's sort of built more for this.
Speaker 2: And then time.
Speaker 1: But then I'm wondering if he's gonna do that second round draft pick thing that he did, or if he's gonna take the blue chip guy.
Speaker 2: You know, you know it's it's gonna be interesting because I've thought about this. You look at free agency in the NFL that's now transfer portal. You look at the draft that's high school. But the draft you have to draft guys in height. Like recruiting a guy in high school you get full rain, so him being able to scout guys for his scheme at an endless supply when it it's really coming down to money now, and it's just about how you're gonna handle your roster of money. I think he's gonna do pretty good. It's pro football. I'm gonna go literally pro football now right.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go on a limb and say, UNC is never one of college football championship. They've always been a basketball Taylor.
Speaker 4: They had some stars, Julius Peppers, Mac Brown coach.
Speaker 1: That was not the question. Western Mass.
Speaker 2: Come on, West Mass, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Well coming to the end here. I'm just fucking with you, dude. The fact that you came at me so nice, like why would you do that? Now? I feel bad that I said that, all right, we.
Speaker 4: Built the show. Is like, man, Bill Burr could be this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bill, we wanted Bill Burr on this show. Jewels is usually better at being well.
Speaker 1: That's why I showed him a month earlier. I heard, I heard the buzz around Hollywood.
Speaker 2: We wanted you.
Speaker 1: You know what, Bill Burr already has a podcast. You know, we should pitch him another another podcast.
Speaker 2: Another one, the second one.
Speaker 1: I love that one.
Speaker 2: You like it?
Speaker 1: I love that one. I just like hearing you guys like I don't know talk yeah, I know, but like some of the ship that like that comes out about guys you didn't want to play against what you were going through during the game or or just all of that stuff. It's it's I think that's why I love the Mannings. Just it's so funny to just see them now his fans watching the game, but like the psycho level that they're watching it on is uh, I don't know. That's what was always like the magic in the broadcast booth. You had a guy who went to you know, journalism, yeah, had a command of the English language, you know, and then you'd bring in a former player and he could add like color yes, it's that used to work.
Speaker 2: Now where do we go, Bull Belichick?
Speaker 1: We didn't Oh we didn't finish that.
Speaker 2: We haven't finished, like maybe eighty percent finished.
Speaker 1: I also invested in this company. Full disclosure, full disclosure.
Speaker 2: I invested in this coming the water wars here he did this water wars? Bubs? Oh yeah, this bad boy right here is nine?
Speaker 1: How many years in a warehouse did that one sit? Versus?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Fresh water right from my tap with a filter. I'm sorry, I mean mountain water? What is what is your mine claims mountain water?
Speaker 2: What is your claim outline? Enhanced water?
Speaker 1: What does that even mean?
Speaker 2: It balances your pH what do you get your period? No? But it for your inflammation? No? But do you just lay off sugar or you just drink my water?
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm gonna stare deep into your husky eyes right now, and I'm going to say that I have There's a sixty percent part of me thinks alcohol alkaline. It doesn't even.
Speaker 2: Exist same.
Speaker 1: Honestly, It's like didn't they say with like like uh electrolytes, Like that's not even a thing.
Speaker 2: That's just like a word, like all electrolytes are salt. So what you do is when you have an electrolyte and you put electrolytes in your water, you're putting salt in your water, so your body absorbs the water and you don't piss it out. So that's how your body holds the water.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you why. I believe that, because alcohol alkaline, you were holding tension and then when I brought up electrolytes, you relaxed into the couch.
Speaker 2: I'm like, now, well, I know because Brady always put the fucking electrolytes in his water and had to do that whole thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, isn't that gatorade?
Speaker 2: Did he that sugar in water? So what did he.
Speaker 1: Have his own gatorade?
Speaker 2: He had drops that he would put in his water that were just salt water drops.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Literally anytime he would you would sit and watch him put thirty drops of the every anytime, you know what.
Speaker 1: It's like funny now that someone took it to that level. But I guarantee you, like everybody, that's that's going to be like normal now, like oh it is. Everybody is gonna be a thing. Now Now there's like or people are going to play into their well, into their forties, you.
Speaker 2: Think, no, no, like him. You gotta be touched by God. Yeah, I don't. Yeah, that's like forty five, not well into like that. That that's insane, And he's fucked it up for everyone because now everyone thinks quarterbacks can play that long. Like we look at Kirk Cousins who tore achilles at like thirty five, and we think, this guy, we're gonna pay him one hundred and eighty million dollars.
Speaker 1: The achilles injury. Used to that was the end of your career. Now look now, like I remember when, uh, when Kobe rests his soul, when he blew out his achilles, I was like, oh, you know, this is that you know, don't have an end like that, you know what I mean? That's the worst, right, and uh, whatever the hell he did. He went to Germany. They spun his blood. Now they do that over here, spinning in the blood. I don't know what it is. And he came back and you know, he's still old, but he was still he never like played at a level that was embarrassing. Like he was great for the rest of his career. I think Dan Marino, Yeah, damn Marino. He uh, he had an Achilles issue. What was that early nineties?
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 1: Look at that, I went full circle. This is what happens with two traumatic children is after a while, neither ones looking at each other, just sort of self soothing, rubbing your head, just staring into the honeycomb wood, being like, I wonder why he decided to do that? Was that just a break up the pattern? Or does that make it sound better in here?
Speaker 2: Cool? Let's get into this segment.
Speaker 4: Hold, and before we move on from from Bill Belichick, we found out through Bond John bon Jovi that Bill Belichick is an avid drummer. Did you know that? No, he's a huge drummer. Drummers like toured with bon Jovi in the off season.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Do you think you and Belichick can do a duet drumming thing together?
Speaker 1: A duet and usually a drum off usually compete with that duet. You gotta be really good because you've got to be playing the exec Uh. Yeah, that would be fascinating to watch him play drums.
Speaker 2: That'd be fascinating.
Speaker 1: Funny if he if he just let it all go, it was like making like a stag face and all of a sudden, Oh my god, there's a personality in there. I'm just picturing him like, h you know, it's a seven eight times on the first and then we went to the course. It's a basic rock track bill. What do you think about the next song you're about to play? Why notes, we're onto it. It's like this song, you know, it's another song, and this one's a couple seconds shorter, but we're still gonna give it just as much as we we did on the previous song.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: People never understood that he knew I'm not giving you any boletin board material, like that's what he was doing. So then the sports writers would attack him for having no personality and all of that crap, and it's just like, no, he's making your job difficult. You have to work. And then they love the guy like Rex Ryan, like I'm not going up there to GISs their ring. Look doing that dumb shit?
Speaker 2: You know what? The article just wrote itself. So we would we would literally we would have a guy. We had a guy came in every year to teach us on how to handle the media and deflect. He was the guy who had to handle all the questions after nine to eleven for the for the fucking White House. He would come in and teach us on how to deflect.
Speaker 1: It must have been the quickest job interview ever. What's your background on this eleven? All right, tell everybody else.
Speaker 2: We got our guy. I think he was a Navy admiral. I forgot his name, and I know him. He's a good I feel bad, but yeah, so we we would have this guy come teach us, and it's it's pretty crazy if you listen to when coaches and players talk to the media, they'll literally give you game plans, like when a coach says, you know, coach, what do you got to do this week to win the game. Well, you know, we got to run the football and we got to do good. So you know that they're going to be trying to emphasize.
Speaker 1: I always just thought that that has to be a misdirection, like they got to be saying they could.
Speaker 2: But a lot of the times they do what they say. And Bill was always like, I'm not saying anything to give them anything. So that's why it came.
Speaker 1: Why didn't he just say that to him, like, listen, I'm not this monotone. I just know what you guys are doing, and you're gonna give my the other team a competitive advantage, you know.
Speaker 2: With injuries all that, like, well, why would we have to give up? Like why would he ever talk about an injury? Why would you give a timeline on an injury. That's why whenever we had an injury, he'd always say, just worry about what you got to do to get that done. Because you go out there and you say, oh, we're back in four weeks after you you sprain an ankle, and then it takes five weeks and you're getting more questions, well, was there a setback or if you come back early. You know, when you give a timeline, it fucks everything up.
Speaker 1: So that's why you're gonna get hammered with questions.
Speaker 2: Hammered more. So. That's why you always were coy whenever it came.
Speaker 1: They're not they're not your friends, No, no, that's but I've always loved how they get upset though, if you're not like an open book to him, and when they just it's like, well, you guys are constantly fucking people over. You're constantly trying to cause controversy where it isn't even there. Like the local sports media, like in New York and Boston. I don't read it out here, but like I was, you would read the articles. It's like, are you four or against our teams here? Like in New York, Like New York, like they were questioning Eli after he beat us twice, like what like what more does this guy have to do?
Speaker 2: Coughlin was on the hot seat each year he fucking won a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: That's the reason they are in the situation they're in right now is because they let that guy go.
Speaker 2: I think I think he's still he's dead now, Oh.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. Then he go down to Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's he was old. They had to let him go.
Speaker 1: All right, Well there goes my theory.
Speaker 2: Jack Let's power through this. Let's get into the games. Get into these Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Really wait, we're going into the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll do it real quick.
Speaker 1: How fucking long is this podcast?
Speaker 2: Were quick? Quick? Quick? Quick?
Speaker 7: Dolphins are coming off a beat down to the Niners in Super Bowl nineteen twelve and four. This is Don Shula, Dan Marino, Dwight Stevenson, some Hall of Favors on this team.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: Dan Reno's coming off his incredible MVP season.
Speaker 1: Arguably the greatest season statistically, if you see how the game was played, that he had forty eight touchdowns, and the way that you could manhandle receivers and the quarterbacks and all of that, and the fact that he put those numbers up and they lasted from eighty four, I want to say, till Drew Brees in like twenty ten, So it lasted for almost thirty years that season that it was like literally like Wayne Gretzky numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I also have a take on those elite seasons of the past, like the Bear they had like two hundred and seventy pound linebackers. When you throw four receivers on the field, those guys can't cover space. So like these new age offenses like the run and shoot that Dan Reno used to run the West Coast.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, who had two hundred and seventy pound linebackers.
Speaker 2: Well, just in general, the linebacker in linebackers were like two fifty. No, yeah, they were huge, though, I'm just saying they're fifty.
Speaker 1: The defensive lineman was like two seventy. I looked at the back of my football cards you just played the game with. I had football cards. And then the big thing this season was the refrigerator Perry he got you know how much he weighed three three hundred and five pounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now they have entire like lines but that way like that.
Speaker 2: But those the linebackers of this generation and the d linemen, they weren't space guys. They were there to stop the run. The forty six, the Bear that was all linebackers and linemen. You do that to a league a team, now, they're just gonna spread you out and shred you. And a lot of these teams, like the Dolphins and the Niners of the past, they had these quick hitting throws which were almost they were designed to beat these big teams, you know, so like you had an edge on these guys because these guys couldn't cover. They were too innovative with these offenses. So when you have a guy.
Speaker 1: Like what great point. Yeah, okay, First of all, nobody figured that out. These guys did it. These guys exposed them.
Speaker 2: Well, they did and created the Nickel defense because of it. He was the first one to take a linebacker out and bring a third corner in in.
Speaker 1: And uh, I understand that. Did Don Shula figured that out? Did Don Shula have five white guys back there to try and like what I'm saying is, I'm trying to talk about this game.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: And I understand that because you played in a different era, I'm getting into your feelings.
Speaker 8: Nice.
Speaker 1: I also know it has nothing to do with the game. It has more to do with you and your father. Now, I mean, I'm not gonna debate you on this. You're a professional football player. But it's just like I would just say as a fan. For some reason, the first fucking I don't know how many weeks, everybody was getting fucking raped by this team. And he came in and he wasn't dinking and Duncan down the field. He was throwing. He was fucking onloading on these people. And like I said, when you look at their defense, you know, look at the fucking names on this roster. I'm not shitting on these guys, but this is not like, oh my god, they had this guy, they had that guy, they had that guy. The whole team was basically the Dolphins. I'm saying, was was Marino, Clayton, and Duper and they just, I don't know, they like unstoppable against this this defense that allegedly nobody could beat. So I don't know. And then the fact also that he saved the undefeated, you know, their undefeated season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what's what sucks is the AFC Championship game that year was the Patriots versus the Dolphins. We go down to the Orange Bowl. We had one there in forever, and it's the worst thing ever is we beat him. It was great as a Patriots fan. It led to the worst Super Bowl ever, and it could have been the rematch. It could have been the rematch. And I gotta tell you, oh my god, if Dan Marino goes in and he beats him again, he beats him again, he beats this fucking unbeatable thing twice. I mean, I mean, I don't know it. It's just that there's a I call those the greatest games that never happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we covered that game with Gary Goman.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Oh the Orange Championship game, Holloway Brick by Brick crying afterwards. I went to the airport after both those games when we beat the Raid went down to Providence. You want to talk pre nine to eleven, A bunch of drunk Patriots fans on the tarmac. We just opened a door we were standing and you remember those things where the pickup trucks with the stairs would drive up.
Speaker 2: To the plane.
Speaker 1: We had commandeered one of those. I didn't get on it, but there was people who had gone all over the top of it. It was a fucking shit show. And these guys had to there was no security. They had to walk through all the fans. I still remember Julius Adams rest his soul, came walking by and had this brown leather jacket on. Somebody behind me went bam bam bam on his shoulder, just after he played football, and he turned around and gave me a death stare. I was like, who was that?
Speaker 2: Guy?
Speaker 1: Was sad guy? And we went down there after the Raiders game, there was probably a couple hundred people. After the Dolphins game, dude, there was like a thousand people. And I'm sure they've read one The airport's Providence. They wore flying to Providence. Yeah, yeah, you'd see, yeah, and they we were on. We were on. The fucking plane was pulling in and we had to like clear out like it was the end of some cartoon or something.
Speaker 2: You know, those are some of the coolest things. When the fans would do that. Like when we come home. After we came home after beating the Kansas City Chiefs in eighteen, we get back at like three in the morning, four in the morning, because you leave right after the game, right, And when we got there, there was probably ten thousand fans just chilling. And you can't do it like you said in the tar Maat and everything, but they would chill outside the gate, and that's like the coolest thing. Oh yeah, when the fucking you know, the communities out there four in the morning, fucking going to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I Tony Easton, I got the shake ca man. He had a member's only jacket, which was the ship maybe five.
Speaker 2: Still he came back their back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they are. I hate when shit's like in style and everybody wants it and then the second is out of style. Everybody acted like they didn't want it or they didn't have one of those things. Those fuck I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Skinny jeans.
Speaker 1: Skinny skinny jean's out.
Speaker 2: They're out. They're back to the nineties, like baggy your jeans bag here I go mid yeah go wrong yeah, mid timeless yeah yeah, yeah, timeless.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Let's uh let's go through these Bears.
Speaker 1: Round out the support it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, yeah, you gotta gotta have a little little run lift, little lift. Can't be all tightened in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's as you get older, your balls start hanging in the toilet water. You can't have that. Yeah, but that's why that whole.
Speaker 2: Crowd them it's a lot longer.
Speaker 7: Speaking of the long ball, Dan Marino was airing it out in this game, segway of the year, baby oh Man, tossing it all over the yard. The four to six defense didn't matter, the three four didn't matter. Dan came out was bombing them not more. We talked about Mark Duper, all those guys putting up the first touchdown on this vaunted Bears defense in thirteen quarters, right out of the gate, thirty one ten at the half, they kept it rolling thirty eight to twenty four.
Speaker 1: Look, he's still he only threw for two hundred and forty five yards.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all he threw for. There was still a great and you got it. Also if you look at uh, the I mean just littered with Hall of famers. O. J.
Speaker 2: Simpson was on there.
Speaker 7: Simpson was he was on the broadcast oh OJ was on the broadcast.
Speaker 1: I remember that year they had UH and then they had UH, Joe Namath, Joe Namath and OJ, and OJ used always be see what I would do right there? I would have cut it back. He's always say what the running back did wrong? And then I remember Joe Namath was that was a good play, just the way I always said, that was really good play. He had a think he always play that was like that was like the buzzword that sounds like, oh, I love those guys this game.
Speaker 4: May us think of when they had Dennis Miller be on Monday Night Football and how Dennis Miller that the idea of that I think was great. It was way ahead of its time, and I don't think Dennis Miller was the right person.
Speaker 1: It was like the first podcasting vibe. Yeah, like way back, uh, way back in the day. You know what some of you was bringing up is how remember the NHL had that stupid trail behind the puck that one year and they go as much as everybody made fun of that, like the amount of the amount of graphics that are now like on on the screen, you don't notice it. But I would say, I don't think anybody ever topped. They gotta get Lane's coming out at the globe back of the puck.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 2: They should bring it back. I can never see the puck on TV.
Speaker 1: My favorite argument to that was one of the NHL players goes, I mean it's literally a black object against the white surface. Like I don't you try to just start with just start watching the player. Everybody seems to be paying attention to there's a good chance he has the puck. I never had a problem following the puck, and I used to watch it on that little square TV. Stan Jonathan honorable mention. If we're going to say, like the tough guys they kept the finesse players safe, I would say, Terry O'Reilly Stan Jonathan J. Miller, Lynden Byers. That was that was my whole error was the end of Wayne Cashman in I don't know, Wayne Cashman in Terry O'Reilly towards towards the end of the thing, into those cam Neely era ray board and all of that, and uh, that was my favorite ever going to see hockey in the Boston Garden and they had all these great the old arenas. Yeah, those basketball and hockey arenas you were like on top of the game. But I found out Now obviously with luxury boxes it makes them bigger, but the upper decks they can't have that steep a grade anymore because it's too dangerous, because people are too fucking fat.
Speaker 2: It's just like, well, why don't you or drunk.
Speaker 1: Get people in shape?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean or drunk.
Speaker 1: I got one. Do you guys ever see that guy at the Reds game? That fucking guy is yoked and he reaches for a foul ball in the upper deck and he goes all the way over and with one arm like hung on.
Speaker 2: I do remember theme of that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he would he would have died, and he would have fucking broke the back of whoever he landed on.
Speaker 2: That would have been. I wonder how many deaths have been in the stadiums of like that.
Speaker 1: So we fell off the back of the Patriots statement and died Onunday night football before they had the fence up there. Fucking fell off the back there he is. Look at that guy if you see the video, he is like in such like eighties shape, like his torso. I mean, he could have fought like a bear.
Speaker 2: What a guy let's name the game. All right, what do you think this is?
Speaker 1: I've had a great time, by the way, are you Yeah, No, I'm having a great time. I'm just doing what I do. I'm just being a dick.
Speaker 2: I like it, you like it? Okay? All right? Name the game Miami on a Monday Monday night in Miami, the greatest Monday Night game. Monday Night Marino Marino torches the Bears, Dan dismantles the Bears, Dan and duper dismantled the Bears. Or do you have a.
Speaker 1: Name Monday Night Marino that kind of flows Monday Night Marina Dan destroys the Bears.
Speaker 2: All right, let's score the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Monday Night Marino?
Speaker 2: Like that? Score the game? Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score stakes? Zero to ten decimal's okay, bill? The stakes of this game? Fourteen eighty five Bears undefeated.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, this is I'm I'm not gonna lie to you. I picked a you know, kind of went with the jaguar of.
Speaker 2: This is actually a really good game. A game, and this is a great stake because this is the undefeated franchise that's playing the team that could potentially go undefeated.
Speaker 1: I get you guys want to go hot topic. I picked an indie band here, so I would say is far the stakes, as far as Dan Marino's legacy and me being able to shut down everybody in a sports bar, I give it a ten. But as far as overall in the pantheon of greatest games of all time, the fact that it's not even a playoff game playoffs, I would say three.
Speaker 2: Three okay, because.
Speaker 4: When people show up with real games, we love that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Dad, Well you guys have been shipping on it.
Speaker 2: Well, Jules just can't ask a question. Yeah, Jiels has been through a lot eighty the he's gotten me today, And I say it every time I have, like a comedian or you on here.
Speaker 1: There's a sadness to him behind those husky guys.
Speaker 2: I've been here for ten years ago, I know there is.
Speaker 1: There is a sadness, you know something. I like breaking people's balls, but if they have that look on like I saw the pain on your face, I just I can't do it. And then you did it to me and it just makes me feel you know, he used to do that. Bob saggatt rest is so I look at his Bob Bob would like die laugh and everything said, but every once in a while, you do a joke, and he was just even and it wasn't that you hurt him, that he was disappointed in you. And I remember when I did his podcast, I asked him if he dyed his hair with uh jest for almost men and he made and he made that sad face because the whole podcast he was trying to get me to open up, and he was trying to be nice and loving because that's what he was. And it bothers me that I didn't let him do it. But I was having so much and I think that that was when he finally gave up and just realized that was too damaged. And I remember I texted him, I said, hey, man, thanks again. I had a great time, and he goes, did you. I still can't believe he's gone. Man. I loved him so much. Yeah, he was the best. He would have been a great guest. Instead he ended up with me.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't have it any other way. I'm gonna go with the five. Okay, Jack seven eight. I had seventy to one star power of this game. A lot of Hall of famers.
Speaker 1: Oh star parers, this game ten ten, fuck come on. Walter Peyton, all time Russian leader at the time, Dan Marino, Ditka, Don Shula, Richard Dent, Mike Singletary, Gary fencik.
Speaker 2: Uh Rivera, Willie Galt, Dan Hampton, a lot of good players, Matt Suey.
Speaker 1: He used to block for Peyton man not Peyton, so uh. Walter Payon, Walter Payton, Walter Peyton Manning.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with a nine. A lot, a lot of a lot of good players.
Speaker 1: There is a tough crowd over there, the Russian judges over here, Yeah, the Russian judges, all right. Gameplay of this game reference, by the way, it's so funny that they fucked us in like figure skating, like we give a ship. Oh you goddamn Russians got them hockey though, yes we did once, all right.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty two gameplay of.
Speaker 1: This It's a great band called Russian Circles, which is a hockey workout thing that they came up with. And there's a band, the incredible band name Russian Circles.
Speaker 2: Kind of like rock.
Speaker 1: It's uh yeah, but heavy, no singing instrumental with one of the fucking most killer drummers out there right now. See that I'm under the wire. I am under the wire.
Speaker 2: Here check them out, Russian circles. Yes, gameplay, gameplay.
Speaker 1: I would say I gave it a ten because I was so sick of watching the Bears destroy everybody. And they did that stupid Super Bowl shuffle thing, which was cringey the second it came out, and I don't know, I just I just they they were just hamming it up too much. So and then also, you know, maybe I kind of knew that if my team ever played them, we would lose, like forty five to three, forty six to three.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: How about the fact they never gave Peyton the ball.
Speaker 2: And you know the fridge, he gave it to the fridge.
Speaker 1: They gave it to the fridge. Listen, Mike Dicka got you know, he got knocked around a lot back in the day.
Speaker 2: That's sad.
Speaker 1: So maybe he just forgot for half a second. Yeah, that's a weird era. And Mike dick is when he had the blonde highlights, the blonde highlights, dude, he looked like a fucking coke dealer. He had that must. He looked like the cop that would shake it down, take your drugs and now you work for me, that's what he looked like when he first started coaching, when he had the blonde highlights, and then he just had the total brown mustache. I loved him, dude, that guy was. He was scary at home. Just in an interview. Remember when he was doing that next question, he was staring at me, but he just said, fucking had it or not? Like, I just can't admit imagine being that much of a man and then having to sit across from those sports writers and any the theory courtier.
Speaker 2: How come you ran it and stay it pissed?
Speaker 1: And he's just like, I wanna twist your fucking head off. Oh maybe I'm projecting.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna go with the gameplay of uh seven seven okay.
Speaker 4: Jack had seven seven et a six point nine. Name of the game.
Speaker 1: I give this game a ten. Oh the name of the game is a ten. I just I just love this game.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with eight eight.
Speaker 1: You know what I see with your numbers? I see respect. That's what I like.
Speaker 2: It's actually what I know.
Speaker 1: It's intimidating to come here. You know, one of the great wide receivers of all time, flanker whatever they called you, slot.
Speaker 2: Slot, even though I had more catches on the outside. But seven whatever point eight?
Speaker 1: How about the touchdown passed you through?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you know, Nola, that's fun.
Speaker 1: Does your dad give it up when you did that?
Speaker 2: My dad?
Speaker 1: You cot a latim more.
Speaker 2: No, my dad's my biggest fan, Joe. When I was a kid, he was tough, tough motherfucker. I did.
Speaker 1: I did what I had the dough to get you where I wanted you to be. I made to make your dreams come true.
Speaker 2: He says, He goes, you know what, I look back on how I parented you, and I think I should have been thrown in jail. He said that a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Due, I mean, you can't ask you can't ask it anything more than that.
Speaker 4: All right, So this game is thirty eighth overall. It is just ahead of l Way versus Montana nineteen ninety four Week seven Chiefs versus Broncos we did with Eric stone Street, I believe, and then the twenty twenty one SEC Championship Uga versus Bama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really super Bowl twenty one is the thirty ninth best game of all time. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: What do you got the best little Patriots heavy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, little Patriots. Can I tell you what game everybody loved that I fucking hated? Which game was that Chiefs Bills playoff game? When neither defense could stop? I was like, what am I even? What am I watching?
Speaker 2: I had the same exact feeling you talk about football anymore.
Speaker 1: This is like I'm watching some video games. The NBA is good, they'll listen. The NBA is it's a weird time. It's the greatest shooters of all time, but it looks like a shoot around. They're just running from the three point R two. Of course, yeah, it's weird, but I mean, but I will say I will never stop being amazed that some seven foot guy can drain at three. Now, like that was one of those things like you hold that happened once a year or just for whatever reason, garbage time you'd have that, you know, backup White center would be and he would put it up, and if that thing went in, people would talk about it for a week. We were being like study class, you know, study hall or whatever, just be like, I know, but whatever out with fucking you know. Rick Roby hit that fucking three pointer against the Kansas City Kings way back in the day. I'm not saying that happen. I forget who did it, but like or like Minute Bowl, you know, would do stuff like that. Now it happens all the time. So it's this weird thing where I think the talent is the greatest it's ever been, and I don't buy into that shit. Like all these kids today, the soft they couldn't play in another era. It's like they would play differently and the guys from your era would play this way. If that's if that's how the game is being played, like that whole thing that Lebron couldn't. I mean, he's basically a defensive lineman playing hoop Like I look at him and he would be like Anthony Mason that could score fifty if he played on those early nineties next teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah he I mean, it's just time always the athlete will always get better just from information studying. Like we he used to be a folklore on how Jerry Rice used to train. Now I can go on Instagram and watch my favorite football player.
Speaker 1: His women crossfitting that level. Yeah that's what they do. It's like all right, but then like everything becomes possible, Like you remember, who's the guy in the Giants who made that ridiculous catch like that.
Speaker 2: Now, Odell, Yeah, Now like everyone does.
Speaker 1: It because they practice it and they got those things that you go like this.
Speaker 2: But it takes me off because a lot of these guys try these one handed catches when you could put two handing catches on it. And then they dropped one handed catch.
Speaker 1: Guess what, You've just dipped your toe into becoming an old man, because that's what you let me tell you. So I'm Carrid when I get it.
Speaker 2: You use both your goddamn hands, stop trying to get on television, and the fucking sticks you get the fuck off the field.
Speaker 1: You gotta start smoking a pipe.
Speaker 2: I like pipes. Like pipes, gotta get third downs and get touchdowns. We'll be right back after this quick break bill. Did we miss anything on this game? No, I think I don't think that that that we did.
Speaker 1: And I am happy that they there was a forum here to put a little more. I feel the proper perspective on Dan Marino's career. And you know he could have, like you know, he kept re signing with the Dolphins. He could have left, he could have gone somewhere else. He could have done that baby shit and just go pile on with somebody else. And he didn't. He stuck it out. And I think that you know the way these you know, skip whatever, these skippy, fucking guys who never played the game, look at him. He's just the thing about them is they sportswriters. Is their thing is championships is their way of taking out their own shortcomings on professional athletes. And the reality is all of these leagues have twenty eight teams then, so you had a one and twenty eight year mathematically chance of fucking winning. Nobody plays for twenty eight years, so most people are not going to have a ring. And that's like in to be like, you know, you know, you know what my knock is on that guy. These fucking guys who are gonna drop a heart attacks at forty five, the way that they judge you guys. So I mean, if you know the deal, haven't played with the Patriots. It isn't any one person you gotta have. You gotta have the coach, you gotta the players, you gotta the GM, you have to have the owner, and you have to have luck. You have to have all of that shit. That's what the Chiefs have, right now and it's going their way, Jesus, is it ever, it's it's all of that stuff. And then when when somebody goes on or run, like like the amount of people that aren't gonna get rings now because of what the Chiefs are doing, or the amount of people that didn't get rings you know when Jordan played, or what the Patriots did, what the Yankees did in the late nineties to hold that against somebody, you know, as I just think I never listened to that, and it's always bugged me. And I fucking hated I fucking hated the Dolphins. And there was a period where I hated Dan Marino just because he was beating us, but I always respected him. And then you know, the long or he did it, and I started hearing those sports writers because we would watch him twice a year come in and do what he did to us, and I would just be like, these guys are this is fucking ridiculous the level of shit that this guy's getting. Yeah, and he's down there like, you know, we've got the franchise on his back, so huge, damn Marino fans. So I'm thanking you for letting me come on here and at least presenting a different argument when it comes to that.
Speaker 2: Shit, No, we appreciate you coming on. Uh damn Reno. I've met him a few times. Such a cool dude. He doesn't get the respect that he You know, if he were to play it nowadays, I mean, he'd be like a six thousand yard quarterback.
Speaker 1: I actually wouldn't say that to him at a benefit. He did and he was like, oh, I don't know about that. I go want he fucking threw for forty one hundred yards? When when that he was?
Speaker 2: When I met him when we were hanging out as a Super Bowl were at a cool restaurant in Vegas. I saw him. He had a dip in with a cool sport code on.
Speaker 1: What about his release quickest relief arm goes up, all comes out. That's what his dad said, Dude, it looks like it's it's they sped up the film. He just goes it's like a machine. And that was another thing that I think helped him with, Like playing against the Bears is no matter how good their rush was, he could get the ball out so quickly and yeah and so accurately. And that was my big thing, Like we'd pay him twice a year, maybe SAKA once and when we finally did, I would like run on the TV like I was just so building up, like fuck every time you thought you had the guy, Oh, it was always complete. All right, I'm starting to hate him again thinking about him playing the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Well, Bill, thank you so much. Everyone. Go out and check out Bill Burr's new special that comes out in March, Drop Dead Years on Hulu. Also, Bill's made his Broadway debut. How's that? That's cool?
Speaker 1: I know you're not reading the right tenis in March, coming out in Yes, yes, I haven't done any Broadway days. Special hasn't come up. Special comes out in March on Hulu.
Speaker 2: Uh, you're Ian Colkin. Yeah, he's catch me out right now? Yeah? I see him on everything.
Speaker 1: Coming in here. If they had a thousand lists of expressions that you were gonna use, cats me Out is not on that fucking list?
Speaker 2: Did wait?
Speaker 1: Wait? Did you wait a minute? Wait a minute? Did you feel like you had to say that because cats was on Broadway? Do you have a hole of these shoes make way more sense now?
Speaker 8: I don't know it.
Speaker 1: Cats me Out, cats me Out?
Speaker 2: Best things in the slice bread.
Speaker 1: These knees.
Speaker 2: These knees.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, that's that's your Kansas. That's the Kansas coming out. These tell you have more trouble now a little bit.
Speaker 2: Len Gary Glenn Ross.
Speaker 1: Yep, Glengary Glen Ross on Broadway. Uh, I got Monday Morning podcasts, and I do anything better with Paul Versey would be a great guest for your show.
Speaker 2: Gotta get Paul in here.
Speaker 1: Okay, he almost fucked up Southern saying I ever heard what that boy fuck a rock if you thought a snake was under it. Wait, hey again, that boy would fuck a rock if you thought a snake was under it. I was just I don't know what that means. I don't either, but I need to talk to my agent. Where have you booked me?
Speaker 2: I love Southern terms though they had all that boyd fucked mud like. I don't thank you? Bill? Sorry? Thanks? What an episode of Bill burd You know what? I always get a little. I feel like I'm two for two on Bostons actors. He clammed up, clam up, clammed up. The lights got too bright for you. He look clammed up. He got all my shoes. This fucking guy. I wanted to call him a boomer. I'm like that, that's a boomer joke. He might be a boomer, though he definitely is.
Speaker 4: I was hoping you'd rag on him because he was calling you kind of effeminate for wearing the shoes. But he wore your jersey in SNL like, did he yeah, wearing another man's jersey.
Speaker 2: Come on, no, that's kind of cool. It's kind of tight. Bilbert worries your jersey that it's tight. We'll rack on him for that. But he was awesome. He was awesome. He was awesome. But it's time for the Chill Zone, brought to you by cores Light. Get cores Light delivered straight to your door. Visit at coreslight dot com. Slash gw N celebrate responsibly. Everyone go out and order it online with the backslash gwn because we probably get hell of more hits for that and it makes our podcast look tighter. So do that. Today we're hitting the old hotline, or should I say the chill line again. That number is four two four two nine one two two nine zero. Let's get into it. Grab one, Grab one. They're nice and cold and chilly, all right, ready into this.
Speaker 5: There's Tim Mulsky calls some fucking such Florida. Just want to know how do you feel about Aaron Lennon Jets? Are they gonna make it over the hump Finally? I'm believing. I'm buying in. I think he's the man. I think he's a difference maker. I think he's the one to bring us back to the Palm Sland in the AFC East. Let me know what your thoughts are. Love your show.
Speaker 2: Thanks Tim Mulasky. That's a great name, Mulawsky Mulaskey from Florida, Central Florida. Is that like Orlando? Yeah, that's that's a U s U c F territory. You know who lives in Orlando? Charles Woodson. Really, he lives in Orlando. He loves it. I want to go visit. Marshall. H Marshall. Yeah, it's a huh. Kevin Smith guy, Yeah, a lot of you. Yeah, it's pretty good. Now let's get back to the question of Aaron Glenn to the Jets. Is he going to be the guy to bring him over the hump?
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for the Aaron Glenn higher. I like him as a coach, I think, and he's a former player, he's he's and he was a former really good football player. He's shown nothing but greatness. I like this press conference. Did you see his press conference? I thought he sounded like he could command a room. It just it sucks because that's a tough job. You know, it's not just being a coach there. So like to make him make the Jets finally get over the hump. You know, in theory, he's taken over a pretty solid defense. If he can get that defense popping, you know, you get a little because I mean Sala had him going yeah, And so you bring in Aaron Glenn there, and he he kind of knows that market man. He wanted that job. So I think that makes a difference. But it's going to depend on like the offense, you have to figure.
Speaker 4: Out quarterback, you have to figure out some front office stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that like, is Aaron gonna play ball? Is he because he's he there? Is he gonna bring him back? And if he's gonna bring him back, he needs to be a positive And I'm not saying he's not a positive guy. But you gotta do the little ship like you're gonna have to be at the the off season, like you gotta you gotta have a new culture of like, guys, we gotta be a part of that culture. We gotta be a part of that culture. Aaron does that, like, that's slam dunk move right there.
Speaker 4: I saw he saw Dan Campbell do it in Detroit, and so you know, you can see that blueprint of what you can do.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I'm not worried about that. It's just it's not it's not even for these coaches that could be good head coaches, or it's about the situation they're going into, and like, it's a crap shoot if you don't have a quarterback. It's a crap shoot when you do have a quarterback. So like, and it's ultimately about that, you know. So I'm I'm I'm rooting for Aaron Glenn, not against the Patriots, but you know, I'm rooting for him because I respect the hell out of him. I think he did a great job with this defense in Detroit that had like full next man up mentality. But they all when they still were able to make plays and get off the field for the consistent part of the year with all those different players. I mean, that's something to do. That's the coach. So they believe in it. I'm hoping he does well.
Speaker 9: Okay for every other sports fan outside of Kansas City and Philadelphia, like we're in total health.
Speaker 8: The super Bowl is gonna be the worst.
Speaker 9: Can we not play it? I would like to see both loose and this game against the Bills and the Chiefs. Clearly everyone should know now that the only person who can beat Patrick Mahomes is Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: This is a great super Bowl. There's there's history on the line. Regardless if you hate it or you like it, you know this is a historical moment. No, no, no back to back team has even got to the Super Bowl. I don't think. I'm pretty sure like it's been like, yeah, there hasn't. No, don't fact check me, and I'm I'm in.
Speaker 4: I mean we had the Bills go to four super Bowls but didn't win any.
Speaker 2: No, this I'm talking about winning the back to back winner. I don't think has ever gone to the super Bowl like this is. This is some uncharted territory. This is fucking This is insane, especially in the error we're in right now. You know, when New.
Speaker 4: Orleans is turf too, So no excuses from the Eagles this time.
Speaker 2: The Eagles, the Eagles are good. Man. I've been talking myself up and I've been I've been I've been against these Eagles all year. But like, look, I thought that Sirianni. See, I don't want to jump on because the last time I did something like this, I jumped on the Sam Donald train and then what I slap him in the ass. He ships in my fuck in hand. Okay, I still think that Philly like they they've played good, they've played good. Vig Dangio and you gotta get you gotta. I gotta tip my hat to Sirianni, like he's been dealing with a lot of ship and and they're there. But he's got they gotta win this thing. And the thing is they got a hungry ass. Sakwon Barkley for two weeks to get healthy. He's gonna do it. You see how You see how fucking motivated he was. You see that this is gonna be a good super Bowl, you know, for all the ship the next year. And he's gotten.
Speaker 4: He's been a coach for WET three years and he has been to the Super Bowl in two of those years.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up, guys. My name is Edgar Carrera from Yakoma, Washington, home of Cooper Cup. Quick question for you guys. Do you think if Patrick mahomes three peats and this Super Bowl that they would be considered better than the twenty fourteen to twenty eighteen New England Patriots let us know, go Hawks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably would. Yeah, back to back to back. Yeah, they've got four Super Bowls in a short ass time. You got a a I mean, you gotta tape your cap. But that's some. That's some. That's when you become big dogs. These are big dogs. They're a big dogs. Unprecedented three years, A big dog. I don't like saying it, but it's the truth. You know, that's a big dog.
Speaker 4: They got work to do for the whole Patriots experience. But the second dynasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the big dogs right now.
Speaker 5: Dogs, it's salon your guy from the old nut House nation.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, there's a lot of a lot.
Speaker 9: Of negativity down out there around this Super Bowl.
Speaker 8: You know, the Chiefs getting pushed through and I don't know with the Eagles rematch.
Speaker 5: Blah blah blah, your ship down.
Speaker 3: Listen, Let's take a step back and just be happy. Happy. We got football, happy, we got a game.
Speaker 6: Happy we can sit around, crack a cors light, eat some.
Speaker 9: Wings, get some pizza, hang out with friends, family, your dog, your you know.
Speaker 8: If you're a cat guy, that's cool too.
Speaker 1: Whatever, we're happy for you.
Speaker 6: Let's just be happy.
Speaker 1: We got some mother e fin football and that's it, all right, love that.
Speaker 2: I agree. It's a great message down. That's that's happiness. Someone asked me, what's your happy place? What's your answer? I went into thinking like happy Gilmore, you know, like no, but mine was my dog and my and Lily, Lily's Lily's practicing shooting goals and smoking them every time, like one hundred a hundred. In my happy place, Well, Rocky's being a good dog and not going after the ball. He's just sitting there jumping up, celebrating like a well trained dog. Woll Well, I'm sitting back in a load chair watching with the I think I got two kettlebells and I'm just doing sets of random sumo squats.
Speaker 4: And you're working out in your happy place.
Speaker 2: In my happy place with like a band doing some glute stuff. Make my body feel hella good. Watching my kids score hello goal with my dog well trained. That was my happy place, Big old it was funny. That's what I thought about. I was sitting there, like, where would my happy place? It'd be that. Yeah, she's trying to get herself better. Dog is pretty good. Fuck it my activity. Do you have a therapist? No? But I need one?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 6: What is the city that you think is deserving of the super Bowl that hasn't had a super Bowl set there yet?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all?
Speaker 1: Bye?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: A city that has never hosted the super Bowl? City which was the best one to host a new super Bowl?
Speaker 2: We think about this.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm just gonna say, Boston. How fucking tight would that be? Cold weather super Bowl? Back to the roots. Foxburg was a little bit far from Boston.
Speaker 2: It's like, there's no stadium Jellett. Oh, so it's gonna be at Gelee, just like how San Francisco does it.
Speaker 4: All this shit's in San Francisco and the States in Santa Clara.
Speaker 2: No. I I like warm super Bowl just because we lost in two cold super Bowl. We lost in super cold super Bowl in Indian. I know it was in India, but it's still cold super Bowl. And then Minnesota cold super Bowl. Don't like cold super Bowl.
Speaker 4: So what's a warm city Nashville. No, they're probably getting one soon. I need to get a new stadium.
Speaker 2: Where's another city, Where's a warm area? It's perto. Puerto Rico's a.
Speaker 4: City account mm San Juan.
Speaker 2: The Gulf of America just put on a float, and the Gulf of America, the US Virgin Islands?
Speaker 1: What about Yeah?
Speaker 2: What about the Aloha? That would be kind of tight. Have they ever had a Super Bowl in Hawaii? Just the Pro Bowl? I drove that. That's where I would go. It's dilapidated as ship. I would go to Hawaii. Do you got to redo the Aloha ball?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, they gotta the Yeah, this is like the World Cup. We we would fucking we would blow that thing out and build an extravagant beautiful This is like a four year down the road we got And I love the history of of the the what what is it? The what Bowl? Is it called the low Hall Bowl because that's where uh, that's where the Rainbows used to play. Warriors like Colt Brennan and stuff all used to watch that stuff. And I went to Juko show. Yeah Chang, Yeah he's somewhere, but uh yeah, we gotta go full new thought. Norm Chow does the coin flip norm Chow Lard Hamilton would have to be a part of it in some form or fashion. I want him like like to open the ceremony, He's got to surf a big wave.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe you go like the Jacksonville route and you have a pool in the new Stadium and Laird is just in there holding his breath.
Speaker 2: No. No, but there would be like you know, like when you do like the super Bowl, like you know, like Fox would host it obviously, and you have like the pre shows stuff and there's always like the the the like cut ups and like the intury ductory like cool uh things that they put together.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be like him, Like it'd be like a James Bond thing where he'd surf in and like deliver the ball like because he's like you know what I mean, he's pretty big over there. And there's probably some like and some other guy that he would he would want to have him join him because he wouldn't want he wouldn't want to take all the the attention of Hawaii. He'd want someone probably from there as well, because that's the kind of dude he is. So you'd have two of them surfing in on big waves, getting pulled in. Maybe I'll be on the jet ski guy. They'll teach me how to do the jet ski thing. I'll pull him in and then we'll fucking we'll go and we'll start it. Huh maybe starting nah too? Is not Come on, this isn't This isn't a dream. This could actually happen. Okay, So Hawaiian next super Bowl? Say I dig it.
Speaker 4: I'm going for Boston or Green Bank. Would be fun just for the history and the culture.
Speaker 2: Dude, Hawaii dog, that's tight. That's a good question.
Speaker 4: Hi, my name is Martha from Hawaii.
Speaker 6: I'm wondering what you would I would drink on the Monday.
Speaker 8: After the super Bowl?
Speaker 2: But if you lost, Martha from Hawaii, what would you do or drink on the Monday after the super Bowl? But if you lost, definitely probably drinking a smoothie always.
Speaker 4: Or a course light maybe a course light course light. What did you do on a Monday after a loss?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: The Indianapolis one? Just like just done, go home, chill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just remember going. I remember that next like to travel home with the team? You travel home that night? Was the next day, next day, next day so brutal, and he just went home and it was like cold, snowy. Wasn't it snowy? Not twelve Maybe it wasn't. Usually was cold, but it wasn't. Yeah, this was a bat And then you're just like planning on, like, man, I want to get out of here.
Speaker 4: How quickly do you go to the facility to clean out your ship? And like like the next day?
Speaker 2: Who you're hanging out there for? I'd be there for the next couple until I left. So still you still do your routine. Yeah, do your ship, go in and see the boys, eat some free food, getting no getting no ot tub, cold tub, sit there. Everyone's just departying, everyone's leaving and you're thinking about everything you did wrong that whole off season.
Speaker 8: Hey, Julian Jack and Kyler Sam from Pennsylvania. It's been a Patriots fan for a long time. My question is what is the most cool or interesting fact about playing in the Super Bowl that the average person not know? Excited for the twenty twenty five season going to be great for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Thanks Pennsylvania. Were just talking about that with Lily. She's like, I want to go to Pennsylvania, Like why do you want to go to Pennsylvania. She goes, I think it's beautiful there. I go, what what? Well, you were just in Pennsylvany, I know, but I was like, how do you know Pennsylvania. I think it's because it sounds like Transylvania, and that's what because that's what I used to think as a kid. I wanted to go Pennsylvania because I think it's like where the vampires are trans So, yeah, Pennsylvania. Super Bowl fact, the average person wouldn't know. Average person wouldn't know that you have to pay for all your tickets at face value, and then you have to pay extreme amount of money for all your friends and families, hotels, and so all the money you make in your playoffs you basically spend at the super Bowl and you play for free. For the love of the game. Memories after last time.
Speaker 4: Also, I think a fun one that you've told me is that you because there's two teams, they both do a party and they play on a party and there's like concerts and musicians and it's a whole party, and they.
Speaker 2: Still do Yeah, there's a losing party. Yeah, it does one. There's a losing party. The vibes are that's cool. I suspect no vibes except for Rob's there. Rob did go ham with lmfao with a broken ankle after the loss. He did, he he but like he made the vibes good. We needed that. Yeah, let's do too, fucking Rob.
Speaker 6: Hey, how's it going? This is Evan calling from Los Angeles. I was wondering if.
Speaker 3: If you think the.
Speaker 6: Chiefs and the Eagles were playing each other in a beer pong tournament, who would they choose for either side? And who do you think would come out on top? Takes for your time, long time by.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question to two guys. Two guys. So Chiefs, Chiefs, is you know Patrick knows how to play? You know for a fact that he I think he even showed it in like documentary. He's fucking, he's wet, he's he's clutched. Brainer, no brainer, and he's probably better with like ten beers in him. And then who's this partner it's got? I mean, it's gotta be Travis, right, he probably knows how to play. I think he knows how to play too, though. Yeah, it's gotta be a dude on that team. There's someone in that on that team. That don't. We just don't know his name who.
Speaker 4: I think it might be dark Horse, Andy Reid. Andy Reid put on a Hawaiian shirt.
Speaker 2: I bet it's defense. He is the king of a barbecue. And you know, I think he's Mormon though, so they probably use like red bull.
Speaker 4: Yeah just just water water yeah, Mormons caffeine. No, they don't, they can't do red Bull.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Mormons, how great is that move that show American Prime Evil?
Speaker 4: Will you American Prime Evil?
Speaker 2: Is that? Then him on the show? I'm like, is it prime full Prime Evil? It's just spelt weird? Yeah, great, great show. You get Peteburg on the show. I want to get it. He's fucking so cool. I would love now that he has like he has a reason to do media. He's so cool though, he freaking uh he's got such a wild career too. He's had a wild career and he's he's always connected with like the coolest, Like he connected me during the fires with like freaking a bunch of the firefighters. Two of like the biggest firefighters in uh l A are from Boston for from south East the Mullins shout out to the Mullies. They're freaking awesome. They coming by my house and stuff, checking it out. My dog's about to get me some hoses and stuff. He's we're getting like he's walking me through if anything comes down. We got this, you know, like it was pretty tight got And that's from Peter. And then Peter also hooked me up with my boy Sal. He's a cop like Santa Monic KAPEDI just retired though, went to the retirement shout out to Sal. But like he always has like first responder dudes. He's connected, freaking Navy seals. He's just Peter Berger is cool. He's just cool, dude. I went to We went to fight together. We went to Luke Rock Quotes fight in Utah, in Utah. It's all for full song connected. He's just a cool guy.
Speaker 4: So who do you think for the so Patrick Mahomes, It's got to be Travis kelce Right, I bet you trap's really good because if you don't go Travis Kelcey and you lose, it's like.
Speaker 2: Looks like play basketball and you know. And and he's from Ohio. The Cincati Boys, I'm Sincati folk. They're all fucking those Hile boys. They play a lot of that beer ship beer pong. We used to play corn hole and stuff. They're all good at that. So Patty and and and Kelsey Eagles, Well we're Jalen. He throws a good deep ball, so he probably throws a good ping. Jalen, you gotta, you gotta go, Jalen.
Speaker 4: You got, Barkley, you got.
Speaker 2: I think I've actually played Yeah and Austin at Danny's house once. How was he? It's pretty good?
Speaker 4: Pretty fucking good, or like the best guy on the Eagles. This is the championship of beer pong here. You can't be pretty good, hurts Cooper.
Speaker 2: De Jean Smith. Oh, we gotta get one of the exciting whites. They gotta the Jean. He's pretty athletic. He I saw him dunking up. That little boy could dunk. He you know who's an Who's blanket ship? You got fucking Kenny Pickett too. I feel like backup quarterback might be really good at ping. And he's a Pittsburgh kid. Fucking those Pittsburgh kids. Those those those dudes are all fucking in those fucking like cold brick fucking houses. I've been in them on like a hill playing hell of beer pong. Yeah, that's like some straight Ohio because Ohio is like super close to Pittsburgh, Kent, you know what I mean. So you'd always have like the terrain is very well Pittsburgh. You feel like you're going down into like a mine. He's crazy. You come out with the black I got the black lung pod semester. So who's our Jalen and who? I don't think it's Jayalen?
Speaker 4: And I think with this Eagles team, because they're lying their identity, you gotta go with like one of those lines.
Speaker 2: Blane Johnson, he's a quarterback. He was a quarterback in high school. Lane Johnson's for sure in there. Yeah no, And then I'm going Lane, and I'm going Big Dom, Big Team, Big Dom and Lane. There's an intimidation factor at Big Dom too, Dud, Big Dom, Big Dom plays a beer pong dog.
Speaker 4: Will you tell us about your little Philly Day?
Speaker 2: Philly Day was sick. So who's winning that match? Real quick?
Speaker 4: Lane Johnson and Big Don versus Mahomes and Kelsey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that was kind of obvious, right, Yeah, Mahomes Kelsey had the Philliest day ever. Fucking crazy. Wake up, we uh, we have to go do like a walk through of the show at the stadium, get our beats, kind of see the stadium, get a feel for the environment, see the beautiful sets that the Fox crew put up in uh Lincoln Financials. So you know, you gotta do our walk through day go through the show after that, had a lot of time, So go back to the crib. Hit up my boy Dave, like, yo, I need a haircut, dude, you got a guy out here, and so he's like, yeah, I do. And I was like, yo, I need also need to get a cheeseteak. Where should I go? He goes, all right, this is what we're gonna do. We're gonna get We're gonna eat Angelo in South Philly with the Cooper Sharp that cheese steak. All right, we're gonna get that. We're gonna we're gonna pizza, and then we're gonna get the haircut by uh Bryce Harper's barber above Angelo's while eating with Big Dimond there. So I literally I'm like, all right, let's go go down to South Philly. Walk over there, get out, go upstairs. Place is packed. Cheeseteak is phenomenal, the pizza spectacular. Getting I'm in the kitchen of the condo above the restaurant getting faded up by my guy. I gotta get his name. Forgot his name. Bryce Harper's dude, though, so like, it's pretty Philly, you know, he's he's a Philly guy, dave O. He's mister Philadelphia. He's in there, brings in Big domb Big Dom, and I just start chopping it up while I'm eating a chili or a cheese steak getting the haircut. Big Dom like, Yo, you need a ride, Get in the Big Dommobile. He's got a blacked out escalade. Hell is sick going through lights and stuff. I don't know if that's legal, but he's got the he's got a fucking sound. Everyone's looking at Big Dom driving down Philly like yo, Big Dom. It was fucking insane. And then we're driving at Big Domobile and you know in Rocky are in Creed where you see all the dudes from the hood and the dirt bikes and shit. I swear I saw like three I saw three dudes wheeling down fucking Philly. Bro Philly is hot Philly. It was it was. And then I go back to my house and I'm like, I go back to the hotel, which is spectacular, beautiful hotel that four seasons in Philly. Very nice. Gronk has been talking about it for fucking two weeks. It was nice. Get back there, I go over my goddamn work, and I'm like, all right, I gotta get over my work. I want to go over my beats. This that h start thinking about questions you're gonna ask, because I'd do an interview. I was a little nervous whatever. So I go back and then I'm like, all right, I got my ship. I feel good, I'm confident, Get in bed, brush my teeth, lie down, turn on the TV. Invincibles on, Invincibles on. Yeah, I watched the whole goddamn movie. Vincebapali. I was walking down the same goddamn area in South Philly earlier that day, get the goddamn haircut at Angelo's Well, eating a cheese steak, eating a slice, and then Rocky came on after I fell asleep. I couldn't do it. It was such a fucking Philly dad. It was so Philly.
Speaker 4: You said you saw Aj Brown too, Yeah, big.
Speaker 2: Dom, he fased on Aj Brown. Aj is a cool kid man. I'm happy for him. He's a beast too, and he'll be on the paths next year. Philly's very similar, like is to Boston, just a little bit bigger. It's bigger. It's like it's like if it's like if Boston and New York had a kid that was bigger than the if.
Speaker 4: You did like New York's footprint, but Boston's kind of level of urbanness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know, but I just felt like, you know, you got the cobbles streets like South Philly, like a lot of that feels like it almost felt like you were in South Boston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little flatter in all the history too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then I went up into like Angelo's and it felt like I was going up into like a North End apartment, you know what I mean. Like it felt very similar because I've been I used to go to DEMONICAUS there's the deli and then you go above my boys, you know, you go chill up there. It's the same. It was like this. It was like that same kind of vibe. I mean, I mean, they're both East Coast beautiful, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: With like heavy immigrant populast. Yeah, yeah, Irish, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Love about Philadelphia?
Speaker 4: That Boston doesn't have is the consolidated sports arenas like Wells Fargo is right next to Lincoln is right next to Citizen Bank. They're all right there. They share a parking lot. Like there's like a little bit of like a sports connectivity with Boston. It's Foxboro, you got Jillett, you got you know, the Garden is right in the city, which is cool.
Speaker 2: Fenways right in there. But it's nice to have it all consolidated. That would be I mean, I think that's what Craft wanted. Yeah, they're gonna do it.
Speaker 4: And what like South Boston with the Olympics, that whole fucking thing that would.
Speaker 2: Have been sick if we were in the city. But then when they figured like having one way into fox Bowl one way out, when they figure traffic makes it awesome. If they can.
Speaker 4: Figure out the Revolution Stadium to be like in Boston proper, that's.
Speaker 2: That's that we're going to. They're building something over there.
Speaker 4: Like near the Encore or something. Last question, I.
Speaker 6: Want to answer this pretty simple question regarding Super well, who wins.
Speaker 8: Do the Eagles win or do the Chiefs win?
Speaker 6: Thank you?
Speaker 2: I think the Chiefs are going to three peat. I just that's where my gut tells me. I don't have any fucking like, you know, like I'm not going to Dane Orlowski like well this this, this, this, this, like we all can do that. I don't know. I just think. I think the Chiefs they just thrive. It's close, you put your money on. Super's always got something fucking going on. Been there what they're doing.
Speaker 4: They can just run it down their throat.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but control the game. I heard Tom talking on Coward it was really really brought me back to the those days. He said, you know, it's a four hour game. A lot of times defenses just die at the end, you know what I mean. So we'll see, we'll see. It'll be a good one. It'll be a good one, be a really good one. Those are some great voicemails heaping coming. That was the chill Zone thanks to our favorite beer, cors Light. Get cores Light delivered straight to your door. Visit Corslight dot com. Slash gwn celebrate responsibly. That was a fun game to do with Bill Burr. He's a legend. He's a legend.
Speaker 4: He's the perfect guest for the show. Funny knows this shit it's been around the block, cares.
Speaker 2: And has a thing against my shoes. And that's been another episode of Games with Names, presented by COR's Light. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to podcasts. Come in the game you want us to do and remember late review. Leave us a five star review on Spotify while you're there. Real funny Kyler. Remember the follow Games of Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a comment on the YouTube full episode. We'll read the best ones in future episodes. Little call to action, Little Call to Action, Leave message on the hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero and we'll see you guys next week. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.