Speaker 1: On today's show, we discussed the big win and the vibes. Fred, you love vibes of those vibes, I know it does. We give out superlatives, m v P, surprise, sat out, ooh, intrigue game, and we look ahead of the Bengals and who to keep an eye on in that game. Welcome on into the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Fred Smoot and Santanamas. Fred, you're little late today.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but you don't look exided today. You look dead. You know you've been working so hard right now? Did you just the energy is not there.
Speaker 1: I'm asking no, don't think this about me, this about you?
Speaker 2: Why are you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 3: Fred tapped back into the old friend, just like almost today.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, yep, Fred, might not be I'm here. I'm here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been good.
Speaker 2: Everything's great.
Speaker 1: That was the weekend.
Speaker 2: The weekend was great. You gotta realize and Prince William County School has started the difference right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, daughters in school?
Speaker 2: Yeahs in school. You had to take it to school. Yeah, I had to take it to school. You know, it's the new day. So what they started on they started last Thursday.
Speaker 1: Oh that's no fun.
Speaker 2: Listen, at the end of the day, you start to the end. Yeah, we know how it is. We started high school.
Speaker 1: Then absolutely tell how you're doing it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: I'm good man, I'm just happy Fred minute.
Speaker 2: I needed that energy. I heard him.
Speaker 4: I wanted us to talk, but I wanted some energy to be brought.
Speaker 2: Into the room. And heard him say he heard me on the air, like.
Speaker 1: Like obviously late night game. Yeah, what time do you.
Speaker 4: Get left the stadium at like twelve something?
Speaker 2: Jinks?
Speaker 3: And then I got I got straight in yeah yeah, yeah, Jinks in here.
Speaker 2: So I had to give him a shout out.
Speaker 3: I got in the car and that was you know, I had the station on it, and I'm like, I hed the mouth of the South, and he took me home.
Speaker 2: Man. When I got home.
Speaker 3: By the time I got in my house, I'm literally taking you know, hitting the lock unlocked button.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh fresh, still working.
Speaker 1: Fres working, the hardest working man in the best, say James Brown.
Speaker 2: That's my granddaddy.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's talk about the game. Yeah all right, obviously they broke the Baltimore Ravens twenty four consecutive pieces and wind streak. Yeah, does it matter? Fred?
Speaker 2: First of all, put put the equation together. What made them get to.
Speaker 1: Twis when you start talking about math man.
Speaker 2: You know, he go the equation. They always have a great second screen quarterback started with Joe Flacco being backed up by Lamar Jackson, Lamar Jackson being back to biology three, Lamar Jackson being backed up by Honey who they got now, So they always having back a great quarterback sex scream. Then they also have they second team and third team is out. They have depth and I think that always helped them win. And they have the best kicker in football. And then don't forget this in the equation, kickers don't take the preseason out.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: They kick so at the end of the day with him being a weapon his and them having the mother too fastest, that's how you get to twenty four consecutive wins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you on something there that I think is really important. Is the depth for that group is always crazy. Like their second stringle line. I'm like, man, these guys should be playing for some team in the NFL right now. Yeah, and then they play the whole game. They play a ton of time, right, And then you mentioned they have the running quarterback. That's always really tough to deal with. They've always got some crazy small, fast running back us for a bunch of yards. So in the preseason that's always important. Ten it doesn't matter, I mean it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: But I feel like when we was playing the preseason game, and let's just think back when we was players. Oh, we wanted to win, you know people, Yeah, we wanted to win. You know now, we didn't care if we did if we wasn't playing the whole you know game Like you know, I used to get take more of victories out of it, like a long as I went out and did what I told myself I was going to do that preseason game, I care less what the school was because I got better. I felt like I always had in my mind, I want a catcher two. I want this amount of reps. I want to look good. I want a great good. I want to be able to turn the film, want to say I did X, Y, and Z right, And that was a moral victory for me. Whether we want a loss, but as a team as a whole, whether you win or lose, when you come back to this facility, and you in training camp.
Speaker 2: That energy you.
Speaker 3: Know, reflects a little you know what I mean. So if we lost, we're gonna feel it, and I don't want to have to feel that soul.
Speaker 2: I would rather have a win.
Speaker 3: So I don't think it matters in the loan or the you know, the whole of things or the big picture. But I think it matters for the morale and the building when the guys come back in here, because now you got the young guys energetic knowing that they went out there and played well, and the older guys like ourself, we're happy and we could have a great week of probably damn it.
Speaker 2: Feel good, listen to some stuff. Just feel good, like when you go out and you get a win like that, and it's like turning the page in the book, you know, like these this group of football players is trying to tell the world we're not your your grandmama's Washington football team.
Speaker 3: You have to beat it in the stadium to really see house the Bible.
Speaker 2: It would unmatched the mayor of Maryland. You got Wiley, you got coach GiB Like, like the sideline was start studying last night. When I walked in there, it was a different type energy and I loved it. And I loved the handshake with Joe Buck. I knew you were gonna call that I did. I saw it all. Listen to me. I felt like, that's such a humanising moment because if I was in the booth Joe Buck was holding his hand out there for like at least ten seconds, I would have shook it too. I probably would have put one finger in the middle of it. At the end of the day, all I'm saying is, I was like, is he gonna shake his head like I'm sitting there watching it, and it was like, yes, he went for it. And Joe Bunk just came home. I said, Troy ain't man trying not to laugh with his red eyes over there, you know. I'm like, you know what, this is what the NFL is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point. I didn't realize we were talking about the handshake so much, but it was was.
Speaker 2: Gonna break it up.
Speaker 4: Here thinking about it because I just saw it replayed.
Speaker 3: They replayed it on one of those those deris I was watching, and I'm like, you know what, Hey, he's human.
Speaker 2: You know human, Hey, listen, I five.
Speaker 1: Hanged.
Speaker 2: That's it for me. I've been left hanging like a thousand times, so it does nothing to me. But when I saw that, I was like, you know what, that brings him more into the fan base because then we all the same and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he makes them humanize them. But I think good interviews around more. He's doing that kind of stuff, and like, you know, he's on the sideline at the end of the game, and like while they're calling the game, he's like cheering, like.
Speaker 3: Almost I will say this and I'm gonna speak in a game. Yeah, I will say this.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna speak about it and I'm not gonna say any names when.
Speaker 2: When you know, can when you walk call him out.
Speaker 3: I watch a lot of the you know, the sports you know TV shows, and they already harping on it was too much energy for for a preseason win, Like we shouldn't have been carrying on half. Why not those guys out there fighting for their livelihoods, Why not have that kind of energy. Why not be excited as fans that you have that kind of a game. It was a great game as a whole, so I was more excited for the game.
Speaker 2: Then the win was like a plus. You know, the game was great.
Speaker 3: And then it was something to get those fans that had met who haven't been here one and then the fans that really came out and they looking for, you know, a new, newer vibe and newer improve I guess you can say.
Speaker 2: Experience, experience, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So look, I understand people going to harp and that's what they get paid to do, because you know, you can't talk positive about everything. But I just feel like, man, look, when you're out there to play the game, whether it's preseason or not, you got to think a lot of those guys won't even make it on rosters' chance to play on their field.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, man, like, it's not about the team. It's not about the win. It's about the It's about Jake frob Man Lean, the two minute drive. It's about that offensive line. You love, Jake protecting the zero blitz looks. It's about Bryson Tremaine getting his first time. You know what I'm saying, Like those guys might have gotten jobs off of that. Those are the That's the only time I remember I remember. I think I told you the story. You guys didn't play a lot in the fourth quarter of preseason games. I'm pretty sure. But I was in there all the time. And when you're in there and it's going well like, it feels like the super Bowl for them because you know, if it's going well like, I might have change. I have a chance, right, and so all those guys gave themselves a chance. So I have no problem with them being juice stuff. And I have no problem with the guys on the sideline being juiced because you know what it means for those guys too, right, I'm.
Speaker 2: Running up and down the South.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing a young guys out there, and I had my hot hot dog in one hand. I had myself out put on the other hand, and I was running hot knee and you know, one of our receives made a big catch because you're rooting for those guys to make those plays so we can be able to watch it on film, and that gives them a greater chance of making either our roster or someone else.
Speaker 1: Making a practice squad. Like that's those are the moments and fact the fact that everybody was watching that game, like yeah, it's on Monday night, it just helps us.
Speaker 2: So Tammy White, you got love Affair with Jake from State Form.
Speaker 1: Dude, what do you mean love affair?
Speaker 2: You have a love affair with Jakes? Play good? Yesterday I saw three players. I thought three passes was dropped that shouldn't have been dropped. Were talking about that.
Speaker 1: So you're coming at me all weird.
Speaker 2: Like I'm giving your problem because you've seen something that I didn't see.
Speaker 1: He's just got that guy as a third as your third guy, he's got some talent, he's got command of the huddle, he's calling protections. He's kind of gambler to him, little gun slinger.
Speaker 3: I feel like we almost at that state now, I'm having three solided quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: So while we're on the topic m VP of the game, let's start with that. How do you want to start us off?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I started off.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, think okay, to be fair, you were you were, you were stuff about this early. The defense did not play great. So the offense played really really well.
Speaker 2: The defense did play good. They played against a very talented offense. They played against the offense very similar to I was, well, it has no identity because the offensive coordinated.
Speaker 1: Quarterback and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we knew it was gonna be a game. You're not gonna go into a game with a talented team and not give up.
Speaker 1: So would you pick the MVP from the defense?
Speaker 2: I will pick it. You know, go ahead, who you want me to pick? Homi Kun? You know exapt ship Kuan Martin may what spectacular? Let me take you through this slow motion. First of all, he gets beat off the line, beat him a bass position guy, went to the pilud. He goes to the pilud. When he goes to the pilum, which Homi Kwun recided and pushes him with both hands, pushing him out of bound. Why he pushes him out of bound? The ball hits him and lands on his arm. When he lands on his arm and rolls down his like a roll up like, he literally grabs the ball, creting it with his thigh. Me not only does he create it, then he gets the ball and runs at fifty seven yard. So at the end of the day, he ran out of gas. He forgot that gas is four dollars a gallon right now, So what I'm telling you is that hell of a play by rich Homi Kwun.
Speaker 1: Is a great player, but he's your MVP. Yeah, okay, and play nice.
Speaker 3: But you know what, and I wanted to talk to you. We're gonna talk about that off the show. I don't want to go too long on that because I was gonna ask you some questions about a couple of plays that when they was in that same stack formation he was running with, you know.
Speaker 2: A couple of times.
Speaker 4: But I would say, last night we gave it to Sam.
Speaker 1: Let's let's just talk about that before you're on, because I know what you're gonna say. I'm excited. Sam had a really good game. Yea offensive line, a good game ones versus twos of Baltimore. That's exactly what you wanted to see. And he and the moment wasn't too big for him. A couple of things with protection where you're like, man, you gotta see that, we gotta identify it. But as they start game planning, I think that'll get cleaned up. But he looked a part, looked composed, made plays off schedule, did a whole bunch of good stuff. But Tan, I'm excited to hear with you.
Speaker 3: One of the points I made was it didn't matter whether there was ones or twos against whoever you out there, yeat there you playing, you know, you gotta you gotta get it, you know, I'm gonna give it to you too, especially if you too and I'm an one.
Speaker 2: Oh look, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Tell your momm I apologize, but.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So I think he played well, But who I wanted to give it to was Jake.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get it. I wanted to give it him just because, like.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, smooth just alluded to a couple of those passes was dropped that to me, I thought he put on the money. And I know how intense that moment could have been anybody for a veteran, and I done been those moments. I don't been on game winning drives where Kyle and our ear like we need to make his play ten or third, that like it's critical. So he was making play out to play, hitting the right guy given given every receiver of catchable ball like that is tough. When that's one of the first things I look at for a quarterback. You give me a catchable ball, I gotta catch it.
Speaker 2: I've seen so.
Speaker 3: Many quarterbacks in our in our lock way where the.
Speaker 2: Ball is laden high and hard. I watched that whole drive.
Speaker 1: Own the money on the money doesn't even work, you know what I'm saying. It's non tenable. I think about Kellen Mond when we're prepping for Cleveland. He was the starter against the Jets and their offense wasn't didn't work. Then you couldn't complete.
Speaker 2: The ball against you are coming again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then you get your third quarterback out there, you know, Jake from and he does a great job getting the ball. Needs to be again like it wasn't. And I think the other thing I wanted to call out there is you could tell that was an important win for Baltimore like they were. They were bringing all out pressure thee.
Speaker 3: Tell me that, man, I'm like, oh, we gotta eat him a ball now, yeah, you know, we gotta eat him.
Speaker 1: Tell me that's not important to them. They're going zero pressure in the second pre game against the third offensive line, Like, come on, man, that's like cheating, Like you know.
Speaker 2: What I was thinking.
Speaker 3: I was the only one that saw that. You break down stuff, man, So.
Speaker 2: No, that was brilliant. And that's how I knew they was going to the bottom of the screen. I knew it was going to the one wide receiver side hero covered why not go to the one I receive the side? But you're right they did. Won't they'd gain. But like I said, it turns the pays and put a good taste in our matic after we beat them up all week, Like you beat them up all week and then you beat them up.
Speaker 3: And that was important to me too, because just knowing that, you know, when you when when you heard everything around town or just reading to the papers, we didn't get a chance to go out there.
Speaker 2: We put it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't just from our news out less, it was from everybody saying that Washington went out there and gave it to Baltimore. And when you heard that and then you saw the game, and he was like, well, say, Baltimore just basically saved it for for the preseason game and then for us to fight and have the will to go out there and say, no, you know what, these threes who didn't get a chance to struct that stuff out there and practice, we're gonna show y'all that you know, we're the better team. So I think it was just great man all, you know, as a whole. And like I said before, whether it matters or not, and the win lost, callum, it matters when you come in this building knowing you got to go mentality wise, it gives everybody that great.
Speaker 1: So MVP So Sam Howe Jake from I think that's a great one, Kwan, because you're you're won't admit that you're wrong.
Speaker 2: I know, I just think DB's I think defense gets no love. Defense win championships, offense, sales, tickets, and the one thing about it, think about it. You look get in the stags, all the jerseys, offensive jersey. I see tear and teary, teary territory. Then I get a chase. You may sweat like we get. We don't get the love y'all get, knowing we got to do just as much as y'all is more they think about it. I'm a cornerback. They're sitting in one drive ten play drive. They'll send saying ten out there. Then they'll say nine other guys. We don't get that wrest so we have to play as that bun.
Speaker 1: Sure. Yeah, so I probably, I mean, just just to be totally unbiassed here, I probably agree with Tanner over you. Of course, I think that was a great play.
Speaker 2: Well, that was the turning point of the game. Was it the rich hermy.
Speaker 3: Kuhn was And but you know, I want to add to that, and I think Fred hit it dead on which he hadn't, you know, elaborate a little more. I think what you can take from that moment that Kwan had is that all the things I did wrong, I've been doing wrong wrong. Yeah, this is my defining moment. This is going to turn the page for me as a young He's a rookie too, so he has first he has so much time to really, you know, get better. But that can that can go a long way.
Speaker 1: So what you think of the return skills are tanna? I thought he should have made he I never.
Speaker 3: I want him to cut back because I get that far out on the side, I can't know where to go.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start looking for backside cuts.
Speaker 1: He ran.
Speaker 2: He ran in the office of line, but he showed. He tossed him to the before he ran a.
Speaker 4: Gas his stride he was running out.
Speaker 2: I say, man, let's go. QUI got a little stride on him.
Speaker 1: He's a four to four guy. He had a forty four inch vertical so obviously very explosive dude. But yeah, so yeah, I think those are good picks. So let's say, okay, next phase m VP. Those were pretty obvious, you know, big play by Kwan quarterbacks. Obviously surprise standout from the game. What do you think, Joey slide, Joey.
Speaker 4: Kick him in the eye, Joey, I'm gonna put the pressure on Joey Slode.
Speaker 2: I wanted to make the squad.
Speaker 3: I feel like he has a big foot and it's the reason why Run likes him.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I mean everyone, you don't want to find a way to get him out of there?
Speaker 2: No, I want the guy I want.
Speaker 3: I'm glad they brought someone in here to give him a little pressure. And he was dead on the money yesterday and he made everyone on the cout.
Speaker 1: Getting like in a situation where like you couldn't have more pressure for the kicker in the preseason game, like you couldn't be higher.
Speaker 2: I had my hands. I was sitting there.
Speaker 3: I know the fans looking at me like why tendant just crossed his fingers. I crossed my fingers and had him in the air for him like, come on, Joey, bring us home.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no. They haven't lost a game since I was thirty six years old. That's how long it's been lost preseason I was thirty six years I'm forty four years old, so Yeah, you want to talk about pressure, it's a lot of pressure. I had to get mine to a group and there with the offensive line. Okay, I thought the offensive line showed up and showed out. No Lino, like a couple of guys was missing up. It was Liley was meant. So they showed they came up and they just stood firm. They stood firm, and I liked it. And I got to give this proper to Nick Gates. He's a animal. I said, you know what, we got a chance to win.
Speaker 1: We also after after Gibson's touchdown, when he smoked that that was him, that was he that, I was like, you know what, I know that's a penalty, but I like but.
Speaker 2: That like Sam cos actually he was just doing that. Why everybody fighting been more perfect? Right, I'm just saying he did it in a way that it was like, forget what they hearing me and I'm going to get these I'm going to get it on because office lining don't get those shot.
Speaker 1: But it's also like he forgot that he was on TV for a second. It was like he was in practice or something, you know.
Speaker 2: But he also the guy to say we're gonna beat that, you know, what showed you what our mindset is right now?
Speaker 3: That to me, that was like, you know what, these guys are confident, these guys can play some football. They feel confident about their game. These guys over here scraping, and I'm like man, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, man, he cares. I had to get his greeted like a four out of team.
Speaker 1: Probably he didn't get low enough.
Speaker 3: He's the officer line, but I gave with seven man, and just.
Speaker 2: To do it, he's off his a linement. Indeed, why everybody else is over there on and trying to figure out what's going on with this? Why I do it?
Speaker 1: All? Right? So Sam sam Cosby's gritty gets a seven out of ten from Tanna, four to ten from you.
Speaker 2: And I take it back a six out of and after.
Speaker 1: Tanna said he's an offensive lineman, I'll give him a seven as well. I was going to be hard on him. But just the just the confidence of it, I think is important. So surprise stand out for me. I think the other one is would be s Ricky Stromberg. I thought did a great job playing guard, right, he's been playing center this whole time. He's moved to guard. I didn't think he could do it, and now he's playing really really well, showing a nice physicality, nice quickness. Love to see that. The fact that all three levels of the offensive line played well kind of to piggyback on your boy. It was like the second group came in. There was a huge job. The group came in and like Brydon Daniels, no pressure's no sacks. For a guy that's been struggling in passport.
Speaker 2: He seems to be one of the players that play better in games in practice. We know those type of players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he and like you like to your point in Cleveland, I thought he had a really good, really good game as well, So I definitely think like that's a big surprise. Also, you know, like the third not third, but like that bottom tier receiver group, I thought they all did pretty good on that last drive, right cats Morey had a couple of players. I know he had that one drop and I think overall pretty good. So I thought that was a pretty pretty solid group. Anybody I'm forgetting, No, no, nobody forgetting. The question is who hurt them? Sail We were talking about who helped him Sale, Yeah, we'll hurt We'll say that for a bubble watch which so let's let's just do this though. Yeah, let's talk about what is intriguing. So ooh intriguing. What's intriguing about this game?
Speaker 2: What was what was intriguing is I don't think I ever been around a preseason gay.
Speaker 1: With that that much.
Speaker 2: Like you can cut it with a knife, like I'm waiting for good to happen and waiting no bad to have it. And then in the back of my head, I'm like, this is a damn preseason gay. Why am I feeling this much? Tis So I think they would have well and the measuring stick, like the Raven was a great organization, good team. Ain't been to the super Bowl in a long time, but good team.
Speaker 1: Good definition.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a great measuring stick for us to find out what we are. And that's how that mattered to me. So I thought that was the best point.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the other thing. It's like everyone talks about great Baltimore's depth is I think all these offensive line and all these skill guys, but our our second offensive line, our second defensive line, our second group of linebackers, like they did a great job everybody, and I feel it feels like it showed me that this team is deeper than it's been in a long time. And that depth I think is super intriguing because you know, we're going to do roster predictions not this week but probably next week.
Speaker 2: But like it's gonna be tough, man, because you got to cut good players.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of good football players and a lot of guys that I want to keep around the organization to see develop that we won't be able to. And I think that's a really good sign for what Ron and this organization has done because you need those good deep pieces. So I think that's that's the intriguing thing. Kind of picking back on your point, I.
Speaker 3: Think triggering for me was just seeing how well coached all all the groups were. I mean, I think the coaches don't get enough credit for some of some of the things that goes on throughout the course of the game, because like we always say, as players, the players, the coaches going to coach up until the week, but on Sunday or whenever that game is played, we got to play the game. But man, when you you know, one of my biggest things was what I want to see.
Speaker 2: I want to see every group.
Speaker 3: Play like it was no drop off, and I feel like we got every group went out there and played their behinds off, And to me, I think that's what you give the credit to the coaching staff, because they had them prepared, prepared to go out there and battle and be battle tested. And whether you're young or not, hey, you got to go out here and make some plays. And so that was intriguing to me, man, just to see those guys go out there and fight in battle. I was watching carries me out and across the middle, he's bodying them balls. I say, man, you could tell a guy Ben in a moment like this before U c l A. You played in some of those, but you know I'm playing for him, you know, forget you both. So but it carried over, you know what I mean. And even some of the players he made in the return game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, here's twenty returns, these guys, twenty all returns that we picked some right guys, and these coaches are coaching a month.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I always harp.
Speaker 3: On just coming out of the game in preseason games and just seeing some guys out there like, oh my god, like this is not even worth us, you know, having around him.
Speaker 2: But you know, you only can have what you got got, yep.
Speaker 3: And so I just feel like the coaches went out there and got the right players, whether they're going to make the squad or not, and they coaching a month.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I love that. Another one that I thought was intriguing was Trent Scott, the tackle number seventy three, who comes in when Wiley goes out, Yeah, and plays a ton of minutes and a guy who's been very consistent in practice, not bad, not good, kind of right in the middle, and that's that's what he played at And like, does he make you say we got to keep ten offensive linemen?
Speaker 2: No, I think you have to keep maybe a nigsha Off is alive because you're you're uncertain about certain depth there. Yeah, so you might have to. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But so what I'm saying is, like, you know, I had him at nine for a long time this offseason, and now is at ten. De weekle keep six receivers because I kind of was thinking you'd keep a seventh receiver, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: So all right, that.
Speaker 1: Kind of leads us very nicely into our preseason Game three preview against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Beys.
Speaker 1: So this is gonna be tough. Third preseason game. What do we expect from this game?
Speaker 3: Well, all those guys on the bubble, all those guys who's trying to make the squad, they're gonna be playing.
Speaker 2: It's their tive.
Speaker 3: It's their time to shine, I mean, and that's something that now you're going to see.
Speaker 2: You know how you how what what the scale is? You know what I mean? How can you perform when it's on you? Now?
Speaker 4: The one no one here to start this game off?
Speaker 2: Jake? You got it?
Speaker 3: Now, you the quarterback, go out here and stretch because we already know who our two quarterbacks are.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? So, Jake, you got to run this ship.
Speaker 3: Now you have to show these You got to make sure that you're leading that hud, that you have command.
Speaker 2: And who's gonna go out there and make plays for sure?
Speaker 3: Who's going to block from who's gonna do all things? And I know we're talking offense. I like to talk offense a lot of course out here, y'allas. You're gonna talk about Forbes, you're talk about it.
Speaker 4: That you have your way with them, But nah, I just offensively man.
Speaker 3: You you really want to see can they lead if they're in that spot to lead, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think it's the ultimate interview because what you have to understand is you might not make this scene. There's thirty other teams looking at this film. So it's the ultimate interview. And for some players, I hate to say this, it'll be the last time they put scrap on clicks on the professional field. And for some their journey just beginning. They just don't know it. So it's the ultimate interview. So it don't matter how many reps you get, It don't matter what goes on. I would tell them go out there and have some fun, enjoy the moment, and don't let the moment be too big for you. And if you a guy in the first two games that didn't put your best foot forward, here go your chance to leave a good taste.
Speaker 1: And some coaches, that's a good question, if you ever seen anybody make the team on for you have been the fourth preseason game?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, definitely totally.
Speaker 1: Half.
Speaker 2: Antonio Pierce, my rookie year, undrafted from the lambbacker end up going winning the Super Bowl with New York Giants, had a ten to twelve year career, literally had like nineteen tackles in our fourth.
Speaker 1: President play well with prior to that, but he was never did he show signs of it before.
Speaker 2: That's why. The thing about it was with ap was he was so good in the damn game that you wonder where was this sy practice because he was a brainiac. The thing about it is so once he gets in the game, everything starts to click and slow down for him, and he would just go out there and it was fourteen tackles, sixteen tackles like this game. So he can just game game game. And I think the coaches realized through watching his game for him, he's just better in the game. And yes, not only did he make the team, he made a career for himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I guess what I was asking more is ever have ever seen anybody's been very quiet through training camp and all of a sudden in that last game, they have a great game and it's like, oh gosh, we're gonna We're gonna make the team, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I had a receiver and you remember him, t Austin. Yeah Austin.
Speaker 3: I mean you saw flashes like he was very you know, you know, he had one of those deceptive speeds, Uh, he played with your boy, DeShawn Jackson. He was like the third receiver on his college team.
Speaker 2: The way DJA was there last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and so they.
Speaker 1: Went to school together, Bingo probably.
Speaker 3: So you just saw you saw, you saw bits you know, up from every now and then flashed and when he got a chance to get in the game by himself, ball he balled, and guess what, he made the squad. And I was and I was root for him because I'm like, man, you got it, bro, And you know, he's one of those guys, very quiet, one saying much. He just wanted the ball and he got his shot.
Speaker 2: I think I think the number one player that you could say the preseason changed his life probably was at New York Giant with Victor Cruz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he but he was balling the whole preseason though.
Speaker 2: But it was the preset that game. They he just went out there and dog guess yes he was.
Speaker 1: We played him New York Jets. Yeah, he was with the Jets. We went up there and he had like an eighty yard touchdown reception. But that was the second preseason game. But the whole preseason game he played. Really the guy that I was thinking of was was Marcus White? You were with him. I don't know if you remember him. You probably don't even remember him, but he had two sacks and a forced fumble in the third preseason game, and I was like, oh, this guy is a good player, you know, and he had been kind of struggling through yep, So I do think you can do it. It's very rare. Is there anybody that you think on this team could come out and ball in that third preseason game and say like, I deserve a spot on the roster.
Speaker 2: And there had to be somebody stowed as slow.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I mean so like I think for I was thinking like Kaz Allen, you know, a guy who's he's been building, you know, and but like if he has like a huge return or he has a big, you know, explosive play, all of a sudden, you say, well we can't get him to practice squad. Yeah, we got to hit him on.
Speaker 2: The thing for a return in this game. Because just knowing that now.
Speaker 3: All these guys are basically the guys that probably one you know what I mean, probably fighting for the job just like him.
Speaker 2: And he was known for rue of them things.
Speaker 4: When you see la and doing his thing so.
Speaker 2: This is his moment.
Speaker 3: It's you know, I wanted to and I never, like you said, you've been in this moment. Someone asks you did leading up to that last game back when we was playing was four Yeah, did you prepare like this was like a gameless season football game for you, like you at UCLA or you you were you in the regular season of the NFL or whatever. Did you prepare saying, Hey, this is I'm going four quarters. I got to go out here and do my thing.
Speaker 1: Like absolutely, so like the pre each preseason game for me, like if I got five plays, ten plays, that was like my super Bowl. Yeah, like I think I told you, like when my first game, like I was absolutely out of my mind and then we got to play. I remember my first year we played against Arizona and they played their starters the whole first half in the fourth prising game was ever mad at them. So I got to play against like Darnel Dockett all these really good players, you know, But yeah, you're prepping like I gotta make it go and like for yeah, the game plan wasn't hard because it's just basic stuff really, but yeah, you were like and I got a funny story about that so I'm getting ready to play in the fourth Priests game. I'm walking with Darrell Young, remember, yeah, Yeah, and you guys like, oh, I gotta go watch some film and I'm like, what are you gonna watch it? Because I'd done all my stuff earlier in the weecause I just want to check a couple of things real quick.
Speaker 2: And I was like cool.
Speaker 1: So I was waiting for him and he walks in the running back room and the coaches in there, and he goes, what are you doing. He's like, I was going to watch some film of the of the Cardinals. He goes, Nah, you're not, And I was like, and he was like, why, I gotta watch film of whoever? We're playing week one of Houston. So you guys got to get out of here.
Speaker 2: And we were like all right.
Speaker 1: So just showed you like everybody in the organization had kind of like move move, Yeah, they're turning the page, but you still got this huge event happening. And it was always super super weird because you're in like this high stress environment. But yeah, So I think kas Allen's the guy. I think all those young receivers, I.
Speaker 2: Think Curtis Hodges, yeah, because he just needs some good to have if you.
Speaker 1: Know what kind in this game, this would be perfectame. He's going to play the whole time. Yeah, right, you're gonna play the whole time. Yeah, find some confidence, find a rhythm, because he showed I thought he blocked better in this last game than he's blocked the Power couple of weeks. But yeah, I think that is a great one because he's because he's flashed stuff at times, but he has not been as consistent as he was in the O T as can.
Speaker 3: You put He looked a little gass feel when you gassed you.
Speaker 2: He ain't been getting out of rep to practice.
Speaker 1: But I wanted to him just be like a little like me, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: More emotion Like I want to see you emotionally connected to the game, like he seems like he's just not emotionally.
Speaker 1: And I think that's right. So I'd say that's a really good one. Cas is a good one. I think all those young receivers, like for me, I would have said Bryson Tremaine because I like Bryson Tremaine. At Brady nine, I thought he had a pretty good game this last game. He did, but in a bigger role, like what does that look like what it makes make enough?
Speaker 3: He could be the one that he could be that one that you'd be like, oh, we got a chance.
Speaker 2: And he's been even a.
Speaker 3: Shadow every because I told you I've been watching this dude in practice. He's the first man on the field doing some kind of exercise getting his legs. You know that he got up, So don't be surprised that he the one that goes out there and say, hey, they don't they don't mess up and gave me a chance to.
Speaker 2: Play the whole game. Every year we have two or three guys on the roster that nobody picked to be on. Yeah, this last game, open eyes.
Speaker 1: And we talked about this earlier, is like he's good at gunner. He had some good reps against Double Ice, which is really hard to do, so good for him. So maybe he's kind of maybe I will see and and we were rooting for all these guys, but he's the guy that I would call out. How about in the defensive back room?
Speaker 2: Fred?
Speaker 1: And also let's talk about that real quick for our guy Wilds that touchdown man, Yeah, that boss out, Like I don't know the rule anymore, but like that seemed like he punched the ball out and it was it was loosing.
Speaker 2: No love for the weary of cares about dB, but I just think wild Goods have been one of those guys. He's been been an uphill battle. But they also gave him a chance. They gave him a true chance. And I just think plays just one made like he had chances to make plays that he just didn't make you feel like he's right there. He just got us.
Speaker 1: So let's right, it's Forbes, Saint Juice, Uh right, those are three, and I'd say Danny Johnson and John but he's got the shoulder, so maybe someone seeking Holmes most definitely. So five guys right there, and then Kwan is the backup Nickel.
Speaker 2: Well, Kwan is automatically in it. He's the fourth guy. Yeah, so six right, there's six right there. So I think with the fact that Kuwan is a hybrid, meaning he asked to the safety room and he asked to the cornerback room, the thing about it is, then you go to the safety room, you got Defro, you got Cam, and you got Percy Butler, and you got what's his name, you got Jamie Reeves. Like they go literally ten guys in the room. Right, Like we said before, we're gonna cut some good plays. So I think, I think good problem.
Speaker 1: So I think for dB it's gonna be really hard for anybody to make it because that top group is so established. But you know, with the receiver, one guy sneaks in, I think another group to keep an eye on his defensive line. You gonna cut some good players. But can andre Jones say I deserve to be the time they see some andre Jones?
Speaker 2: You know how the substitute teacher come in and call everybody the name andre Jones raised his hand, j Jones here.
Speaker 1: And he's he's and he doesn't really fit this screw because he's had a good camp. But like I guess what can he put the stamp on it and say, can you make.
Speaker 2: The fifty three in the rotation? You got Casey two heel, you got j Smith, Hyphen Williams.
Speaker 1: Right, so you got the four guys up right, so obviously the big four right, and then you got Casey James that's six, You got Ridgeway, you got Big Phil that's eight. And then f a Obata is for sure.
Speaker 2: Making the most definitely because he could play everything online.
Speaker 1: And then you've got that that ten spot and diggo Jones name all over k Henry.
Speaker 2: Well, the THG think about it is he's flash more than kJ Henry, I think, And I think you got a chance to put kJ Henry on your practice squow w Jones has flashed too much.
Speaker 1: He won't be on your place flashing practice. He hasn't really like you know, hasn't had a ton of plays in the preseason. He's so again like maybe he comes out and he has two sacks and a force fumble and it's like, oh, well, now we can't get him out.
Speaker 3: So will we use him just predominantly on past rushing or I.
Speaker 1: Think he does a good job. I think with the run. Remember he's a guy that played like stand up sam linebacker. Yes, and so this is the first time he put his hand in the dirt, right, So I think that's something. Again, he's the guy that I just have got circled.
Speaker 2: On my mind. He's that guy. And don't forget he played what six years of college. Yeah, he's a grown man. He's ready to go right down.
Speaker 1: And I would say, I know everyone keeps asking about offensive line. I feel like offensive line is like.
Speaker 2: Set, there's low, there's low hanging fruit.
Speaker 1: But it's like, but I feel like we know who those guys are going to be, and I don't know how we get around it. It's the starting five, it's Lucas, it's Paul, it's Ricky Stromberg. And then I think Brandon Daniels makes it and I think he's playing better. So I think that's Yourn right there.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: Obviously you got to cut some good football players. Question is do you keep Larson maybe better?
Speaker 2: And what we're not breaking in, we're just talking about it. I own that you don't know who is gonna get cut? Yeah, and it was somebody presents a situation you just don't know.
Speaker 1: But I think the I think the interesting battle on the offensive line. It's not for the fifty three necessarily, But who are those four practice squad guys that you keep out of that group? Is it Montero? Is it loofen Baum? Is it you know, Smith Jones who had a good job. Is it Mason Brooks, like two says I deserve to be on the practice squad. I think that's where this game maybe it's your final evaluation point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm totally with you on that, all right.
Speaker 1: So anything else we got to talk about in the in the game that you're thinking about for.
Speaker 2: The for that last preseason game, I just want to say, you know, hell of a handshake, batter on you know, you know, at the end of the day, it's the small things. It's it's a little thing in life. And I just think last night, I know it was a preseason game, but Washington at different Washington put people on notice because everybody been down on us. We ain't this, we ain't that. I think Sam how garnish some national respect last night?
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, that's one thing I want to ask you again, like this is a safe space going against the two?
Speaker 2: Is it safe?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I cried last week I left.
Speaker 1: So going against the twos? Like, what can you take away from that?
Speaker 2: Performance? Can take everything away. It's football, it's football being played. Show me how you play it. That's all I care about. And I've been telling you since I saw Sam. He had some Tony romo. He got this gamer in him and he's never like they interviewed him after the game. I love he just he's monotone. He's never too high, he's never too love. How you feel about almost two hundred. Oh yeah, it was good. I'm gonna do it next week. Like he don't. He doesn't go with the emotional. I think that's very important for a quarterback. Not A question is as a fan base, as an organization, do we have the patience to just to let him grow? Let the plant grow.
Speaker 3: You don't have to, I think, you know, we always we've been looking too long and it ain't none out there. So we had this is our got you know, bear with him and let him go out and do his thing. But also just to add to what she was talking about far as you know, how can you really scale what he did against the tues We've seen us not look well against.
Speaker 2: Whoever was out.
Speaker 1: That's a great one.
Speaker 2: I have to take that, you know what I mean, he looked really good.
Speaker 1: At least he really get his job.
Speaker 2: And he's got a Tuesday won twenty four game.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. So yeah, so obviously he's not gonna be playing. So I just want to say, hey to all those guys playing in that third preseason game for this team and for teams around the league, good luck. And that's going to do it for us. On the show today, State Arms all right. We got great Commander's content for you all the time. Game Day Live with Jenkson Santanamos. Regular season will be be bitch. That's super excited. We got a new pod, get louder, letting Fred talking to my phone even more. How's that going for you? Very loud? We got command Center, the Flagships show that will recap everything from the preseason games against Baltimore. We got something for you each and every day of the week. Be sure to like and subscribe to your YouTube to never miss any exclusive Commanders news and or content. The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and or hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.