Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amrie Hordernt. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app. The nvidio barss gents of one saying concerns around AI's impact on the workforce are over blown. Towson's lack of Apollo agrees, writing there is zero evidence of job losses because of AI. Non farm pay rods for May could come in significantly higher than the around ninety k expected. Torston joins us for more. Torston, good morning, good to see you. What are people getting wrong?
Speaker 3: Well, I think what people are getting wrong is this whole new that it's not only about individual companies.
Speaker 4: It's what's happening at the macro level. And at the macro level.
Speaker 3: It's become much easier to open a business. You see this in the surveys from the Census of how many businesses are created every week is exploding higher. You're also seeing data from Stripe showing you the number of solo founders of new businesses is.
Speaker 4: Also exploding higher. So there's a lot of new businesses that are created.
Speaker 3: Yes, some of them will probably only be one employer, namely the founder, but a lot of these businesses will also with the result in a lot more jobs. So it's not only about the displacement that there might come on some micro levels. It's much more about the aggregate where we have a significant increase in the number of new businesses that are formed.
Speaker 2: It doesn't help, as you know that some of the individuals at the frontier of this massive persure talking about a white collar wash out when it comes to the lay before. So what's your message to them.
Speaker 3: Well, this has started actually already in the spring of last year, where there was a lot of people beginning to talk about well, within one year's time, we will already have layoffs and we'll have entry level jobs that may no longer exist. But here we are with ADP on a weekly basis. The last eight weeks, producing thirty forty thousand jobs every week. Jobs claim still being low ism today, over the last six.
Speaker 4: Months, ism has gone up.
Speaker 3: We have about fifty Ism is likely going to be also high today. And now we have some very strong tail when's not only from the AI spending boom, but also from the one big build of a bill. This economy really is on fire in the sense that we both have strong growth, and we also have upward pressures on inflation. And now we also have, of course the ultimate risk that if AI does result in more job growth, it will be really the miracle drug that both creates higher productivity and also creates higher job growth.
Speaker 1: That can be true at the same time that John's assertion can be true, which is that white collar jobs can decline as proportion of overall jobs.
Speaker 2: If you look at the.
Speaker 1: Job growth and where it's come from, it's construction, it's manufacturing, it's in healthcare, it's an education, it's not in finance, it's not in media and media services. So how do you square those two ideas well?
Speaker 3: If you look at also the unmpliner rates, and now we'll get more data on Friday, if you look at the own ipliner rate for people.
Speaker 4: That are between twenty and twenty four years.
Speaker 3: Old that has exactly gone down in the last six months. Also telling you that is not the case that young people can't find a job. There's some issues around what type of job they can get, and yes, maybe they may not be getting an issue to the job that they wanted. There may be something else about expectations for young people when it goes into that discussion. But the bottom line Stel really here is that at the end of the day, young people are actually doing really well because don't toorner rate for young people is actually lower than.
Speaker 4: Where it was six months ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, to build on that, the conversation yesterday among some of the people who might be entering the workforce in a not so distant future plumbing a discussion around becoming a plumber because you're going to make a lot of money and plumbing, but you're not necessarily going to make a lot of money going into white collar workforce. So at what point is that the type of work that is going to be the future of a lot of the job creation. Is that what we're seeing right now some of the data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm also critical of this whole idea that white collar workers are just going to say, oh I got fired. I'm just going home my basement and sitting and rolling my thumbs. Of course, those white collar workers are going to say, hey, maybe we should open a business. Maybe I have some friends, maybe I had some connections from my last job. And I think that that's exactly what's going to make it a lot easier with us language models, with agents to build a new model. And that's exactly why based information is going up. That's why the number of sol founders, solo founders as social been going up, and that business formation will ultimately also result in a lot more job growth.
Speaker 5: We touch on something you said about expect that might be about expectations of those entering the workforce. Are you saying that potentially younger generations, if they don't like some of the characterists of a job, they are going to not go into the workforce, potentially maybe start their own business or do something else.
Speaker 3: Well, there is certainly a lot of course discussion around well is it because young people can't find a job.
Speaker 4: They can certainly find.
Speaker 3: A job, but then why are we're having this discussion. Maybe exactly to your point, and Marie, maybe we are actually hearing more young people just not having met the expectations of where they could get a job. In other words, maybe they didn't get the job that they thought that they could get. So yes, maybe there is something also when it comes to the expectations of younger households and younger people when they enter the label folks.
Speaker 5: Well, you're describing me. Sounds like entitlement. But we'll leave it there. I want to answer you another question. Do you think the Federal Reserve has been quote undergoing a stress test?
Speaker 4: Well, I saw Jay Powell off God yesterday.
Speaker 3: He did say and the last press company was going to keep a low profile. But this obviously is generating some attention here today.
Speaker 4: So I do think that it.
Speaker 3: Is clear that, of course we'll have new leadership. That leadership is in my view, absolutely going to be completely doing all the right things and moving in the right direction.
Speaker 4: But it is a little bit.
Speaker 3: Noteworthy that the outgoing chair here does bring up issues just in the not in the eleventh hour, but a few minutes after midnight exactly this discussion around well, okay, let's now give the new fitchair a chance and he can then run with it, at which he will do in a very good way.
Speaker 2: And Kevin wash the thing was hopeful that we'd see the disinflation re impact of this massive push towards this technology and then be able to have easier monetary policy. Where do you stand on that tourcet.
Speaker 3: Well, we probably have to wait a little while for that, because initially the AI boom will certainly be inflationary.
Speaker 4: It's very clear when you.
Speaker 3: Look at semiconductor prices, when you look at energy prices, we'll look at labor, meaning what is the price of constructing a data center, And it's also, of course when you look at the broader equipment prices, it is also very clear that this is going to be inflationary on top of the upward pressure on inflation coming from the lack effects of tariffs and.
Speaker 4: Of course also higher energy prices.
Speaker 3: So initially, in the initial phase of the buildout, we should actually expect the AI data center build out to be invasionary rather than this invasion.
Speaker 2: Can we finish on the price of AI. There were some CEOs, not all, but some CEOs excited about the prospects for a genter KI and replacing the human labor force with that. When they start to realize the actual cost of this, will they have second thoughts on replacement.
Speaker 3: Well, this is also a huge discussion around token demand and token usage, and at the end of the day, token users is not necessarily the same thing as creating higher productivity. So that's why businesses as we speak are exactly trying to figure out how much token demand do we have and do we ultimately need and will it pay off and with the price of that token demand also be worth it relative to the cost of labor. So it really is a transition where we will need to figure out over time exactly what does the endpoint look like. Are we going to get to a point where we will be much more productive and will be in my view, probably need more labor and not less labor, especially in the aggrogod from the macro perspexive.
Speaker 1: You're pointing to a very much inflationary backdrop. And this comes ahead of the labor market report that we get on Friday that could be hotter than expected if we see the same kind of trend continue as we saw last month. What do you think the Fed's response will ultimately be given the fact that no one has the appetite.
Speaker 4: To raise rates.
Speaker 3: Well, This is, of course the challenge that the expectations for a long time in the dot plot has been the rates are going down and the fad is going to cut, and now markets and fit fund futures up slowly beginning to say, well, maybe there could be a hike coming. And we all know that if there's a hike coming, then it doesn't come alone. Hiking cycles on never just one hike and that's it. It will always be three or four hikes on more. So that's why the market is debating with itself.
Speaker 4: In breaks, well, if.
Speaker 3: There is a rate hike cycle beginning because of these factors that we both have a low un employment rate and at the same time we also have op pressure on inflation, then all those things would certainly argue for the risks to the upside. Maybe the rates are going to stay higher for longer.
Speaker 1: The picture that you're painting of both an inflationary buildout of AI plus a labor market that's poised for expansion not contraction due to the extra economic activity, is one that could call for a rate hiking cycle. What could you potentially see, I mean, what is increasingly your base case going into twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because this is affects to a mandate.
Speaker 3: They've it has two goals exactly as you're saying, Lisa, namely the un enjoyment rate, and that's been going down and it's likely to, according to the consensus, continue to go down. And inflation by the end of the year is still, according to.
Speaker 4: The consensus, three percent. So if you're three percent.
Speaker 3: Inflation and a very strong label market, that indeed opens up a much high likelihood that we will see a stronger economy. Also because of the tail. And let's not forget it's not only the AI boom, but it's also the one big ULIFL bill, and both these things are not sensitive to interist rates.
Speaker 4: It's really unique those.
Speaker 3: Factors that are sensitives to interistrates in GDP and me housing and ordels. They are slowing down, but the factors that are driving grows at the moment, the AI boom and the one big ULI for bill. It doesn't matter what the Fed funds rate is doing, we will have an AI boom. It doesn't matter what their FT funds rate is doing. The one pig ril for Bill will continue to just s fort GDP for the next several quarters.
Speaker 2: It's Astin it's going to say it always is. Thank you Toustin Slock then of Apollo stay with us. Multil imperg surveillance coming up after this, Peter chab Academy writing the higher for longer thing for energy prices, we'll sink in and start to price itself into markets even more. Pay joins us now for more, pagod Morning Morning price itself in in what way into growth expectations or even more into inflation expectations, thinking.
Speaker 6: Into inflation expectations, pushing bond yield hire And again, I think you've been pointing out right the stock markets are our all time highs if you strip away the AI story, stocks heaven, so they've already been pricing in some of this. So I think that affordability risk is there a little bit in stocks. You have to look through to the various subcomponents to see it. I think that continues, and unfortunately, I think it gets worse because, unlike what they're saying, I keep looking at the January futures contract for oil. It's, you know, right around eighty it has not dropped much at all. So all of a sudden, you know, this whole kind of concept that we had two months ago where by the end of August things would be normalizing. I don't think we're normalizing anytime soon. And this is still hasn't fit the economy fully straight shot.
Speaker 2: For three months, we've had a bit of leakage, but all but closed. For three months, we've had a move of about sixty basis points at a front end of the curve, so two year olds have been higher. What more do we need to do on the right side.
Speaker 6: I think we are probably going to see five on tens before we see four percent on tens. I think you're just going to see global bond yields under pressure. Everyone has to spend on defense, everyone has to build out their industrial base, everyone's got to build that electricity and energy prices. People are feeling that pinch. So I think global bond yields are going higher. We're going to face that, and I think we're at the point if we get too much dubbish talk out of the FED, they will lose some control over the long end of the yield curve. That was not my view back in February before we started the invasion, but now everything that's going on tells me that if we try and job own about rate cuts. We're going to lose a little bit of control out.
Speaker 2: The long end.
Speaker 1: You know, I was reading your note and I was a little bit pessimistic, and we'll get into horses and whether we're the horse.
Speaker 4: In just a second.
Speaker 1: But actually it's making me really optimistic to hear you say this, because you still think that growth will surprise to the upsose Atahol who say he was on and he thought that actually the bigger risk right now was growth surprising to the downside and the possibility that bonds would actually be a buy here.
Speaker 4: Why do you disagree with that?
Speaker 2: One is?
Speaker 6: I think people underestimate the data center and AI just the amount of jobs that are being created to build this out right. The chip industry is going like gangbusters, the construction business going extremely well, the electricity generation business going phenomenally well. So I think ultimately it's somewhat weird. Is I think you create a lot more jobs to build out the data centers than once the data centers area is up and running, those particular places don't have that much employment, but to get there, this buildout, I think that's been very good. It's been very good for logistics it's very good for the cats the deers of the world to applied things for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is the.
Speaker 1: Reason why you are seeing some job growth in places like construction and manufacturing, as well as in other related areas.
Speaker 2: Tors the slock of apolloists on earlier.
Speaker 1: Saying that he saw job growth actually expanding across different types of sectors as a result of artificial intelligence. Let's get to the horses. You think that if you create an analogy to the horse, and it's unclear whether horse and buggy or audibobile to human is the right analogy or whether it's automobile to horse.
Speaker 2: Are we the horses?
Speaker 4: That's my concern. I think.
Speaker 6: You know, you start any business class, they always go through the buggy whip and what happened to buggy whip manufacturers who all had great jobs until the automobiles. But the automobile is great for the country, right, it was great for everyone. There was huge efficiencies the automobile industry. I look in like, are we the horses though? Are they actually trying to replace humans this time? There were twenty five million horses before the automobile. There's about seven million now when you read about it, the horses today have a much better life. They don't do any hard work. They sit there and you know, they graize. They people ride them here and there. But so you know, maybe you all need UBI. But again, I'm not as convinced at this point that this is going to be great for jobs. I can see that argument, but I also see like, this is the first time I've really seen the technology. I think that's going after all our jobs in a different way.
Speaker 5: But there is also a counter argument to this. Before Uber was coming into a lot of cities, there was people protesting. People are saying we need more regulation because it's going to mean that basically in New York City, taxi drivers will be obsolete. But now you have in New York City today is warp drivers than ever Uber lift plus the taxi drivers.
Speaker 2: Isn't that counterintuitive?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: I think one thing, I absolutely knows the price has gone way up. Right, there was a price cutting where everything went down, and now I pull up my Uber App'm like, oh man, I better take the train on. I can't afford to take the Uber home. So you know, there's been.
Speaker 5: Some time being killed driving or taxis in New York City.
Speaker 4: No, it changed into it. It changed it.
Speaker 6: And again I think all the taxis adapted to and uber like sort of things.
Speaker 4: So it's gown. It's good. But again that's one job.
Speaker 6: And again that was it didn't feel like it was revolutionizing anything. But still, how you get your taxi instead of sticking up your hand, you used an app. There were things that allowed people to take advantage of that. The other part of this is, you know, I think everyone's talking, oh, people are trying to create jobs. I'm not sure becoming an uber driver things like that is the same sort of job level as when someone starts a bakery or something where they're going to employ three to five people. So I'm a little bit skeptical. Birth death model once again this year is a big part of job growth, and for the last three years, birth death models quite a role. And then they wipe down the job by seven hundred and fifty thousand to a million because these aren't the same sort of you know, new company formation that we had in the past.
Speaker 2: You bi, how costly is this going to be? Where's the money coming from?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 6: It was some of those things I've really tried to avoid thinking about universal basic income and cstend it gets me wrong, and then all of a sudden two weeks ago, Okay, I better start writing about this at least a little bit. South Korea seems to be the first ones that are kind of pushing that direction, right.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 6: Their economy is so bipolar, right, It's like you've got this memory and the chips just crushing and absolutely crushing it.
Speaker 4: The rest of the economy.
Speaker 6: I don't know, you know, they're benefiting, but clearly there's some degree of willingness to share these profits. I feel like the biggest threat right now in the US to AI data center story, it's not the use. It's not corporations not wanting it. It's politicians trying to latch onto some of this negative sentiment, either about the electricity generation, the electricity usage, or the jobs. And I feel this is going to be a political risk more than anything. Maybe that's why I kind of mentioned UBI who's.
Speaker 2: Got the appetite to rite co protech? Well, could become a bipartisan issue.
Speaker 6: You know, who thought we'd have a mayor in New York that on many times seems very socialist to say the least.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I could.
Speaker 2: See something I'm watching for just if the Republican Party starts to get along with the idea that that's the next step of populism, that you have to do something about corporate taxes.
Speaker 6: Or maybe it's the Democrats. I feel like there's something bubbling below this, that is, there's something unfair about what's going on with AI and electricity.
Speaker 4: I don't think it is at all.
Speaker 6: It fits our exact theme that we need to be good at data centers, we need to be good at AI chips, building out electricity. I think we're seeing a reindustrialization. I think it's great for the heartland of America where you're seeing this growth between the Appalachians and the Rockies. But politicians do seem to be trying to latch onto something. And just the sentiment two weeks ago, when all we were talking about was every commencement speech where someone mentioned AI was almost boot off the stage. Maybe that's a bit of extreme, but there is something bubbling, and it feels like the sort of thing some politicians could latch onto. And there's ubi seems popular some people, So that to me would be the derailment is this becomes a big election issue.
Speaker 5: Well, there's massive backlash and you have the extreme right and extreme left want to do things like taxing Bernie Sanders and Steve Bennon. So this is going to be not just a midterm elections but twenty twenty eight. To John's point, what happens if you see policy that's directed at these companies.
Speaker 2: Then again, I.
Speaker 6: Think you're going to see a little bit which countries across the globe rush to take this in. Again, the Saudis and other countries in the Middle East wanted to become the data center caps of the world. That's kind of been derailed a little bit, certainly, since the fighting depends what sort of peace agreement you wind up with. If you have a peace agreement where Iran still has the ability to have a lot of missiles and can threaten the Middle East, it probably doesn't grow there. If not, maybe they invite this. So I think there's going to be a lot of political wrangling, and some of this is even good that, you know, Canadian when they all say we're having some interesting conversations and Canada actually gets a do over and we kind of screwed up al and g in Canada fifteen years ago. It could have been US or the US, the US has been phenomenal at it right growing out, Canada kind of got mired in regulation, but all of a sudden with demand from Europe and other places who want to maybe void Middle East.
Speaker 4: So there are these huge opportunities.
Speaker 6: And again I think it's all around this electricity generation, the reindustrialization, the data centers in AI and you're going to see, I think even in the US, state by state, who rolls out the red carpet or who keeps the red tape, and that's going to determine the winners of losers for the next ten years.
Speaker 2: Do you think Prime minist de mount Connie figured that out?
Speaker 4: Who?
Speaker 5: I doubt it.
Speaker 6: So he has made some improvements. I think he's seeing summit. I think you're okay again. I'll go back to you know, the Presidence says lots of things. The one thing that I kind of remember in the last few months is when he chastised the leader of Scotland and said, you buy north sea oil from Norway, you buy turbines from China, you have your own north sea oil that you don't use. That seems idiotic.
Speaker 4: So I keep coming back.
Speaker 6: I think they're going to unleash the petroleum and energy companies in Europe for probably still months away, but even there, I was just in London. The concept of a changing view of ESG to be much more true. Sustainability, resilience, it's developing. It's not there, but it's coming.
Speaker 2: Stay with us. More Bloomberg surveillance coming up after this. Bon Traders looking for strength in Friday's payrolls reports to confirm bets on future interest rate hikes. Ed Al Husseini of Columbia Threat need or writing markets have now repriced the fed's terminal rate by a bit under one hundred basis points over the past two months, from around two point five cuts at the end of February to around a hike today. Seems fair to me at joint us now for more Edgard Monick, you're sort of endorsing market pricing, but as a base case you expect them to hike anytime soon. No, I think the bar for that is still pretty high.
Speaker 7: But it's important for them to create the permission structure for markets to price in these takes.
Speaker 2: What kind of steps do you think they take in June to create that permission structure.
Speaker 7: While the obvious one is removing that language around the easing bias. I think that's fully digested by markets at this point.
Speaker 2: That's been well front run.
Speaker 7: But I think starting the conversation around what do they see in the inflation story that's concerning there are elements that have to do with.
Speaker 2: The tariff passed through, maybe peaking.
Speaker 7: There are elements that have to do with the AI demand that maybe just be starting. And then there are elements that are legacy from demand over the course of the past several years showing up in services. What are these parts of the inflation basket concerns them at this point.
Speaker 2: Is cite the current FED chat inflactions a choice? What part of that story, the inflactionary mix right now is a choice? What do they have control over.
Speaker 7: I think ultimately, if you take a step back, you have to have a theory of change for inflation. What's driving it, and I think correctly is put the labor market at the center of that story. So to the extent that they've tightened policy in the course of the past five years, they've cooled the labor market. They've brought down wage growth. That's the key transmission mechanism here, and so when they look at the inflation story today, One of the good elements in the background is that there isn't a lot of heat in the labor market. There aren't a lot of factors to accelerate the inflation push that we're seeing at the moment.
Speaker 1: At the same time, you could argue that there is a financial markets input that is pretty strong into the inflation rate. It particularly because it's coming from the higher end, and because it's coming from the wealth effect. People feel richer. They might feel miserable, but it's a good time for shopping therapy. So at what point does the Fed want to high rates to curtail some of the enthusiasm if they're seeing that enthusiasm in market is trickle into inflation.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point.
Speaker 7: I think one of the key debates, and we've had folks like you know, googlesbees start to surface, it is how much is the anticipation of higher productivity bringing forward demand? Because if it's significant and we anticipate this productivity in the future, that's a positive demand shock that the fects should start to offset. That's equivalent to the late nineties. Is kind of the cleanest analog. On the other hand, if inflation, I'm sorry, if productivity does not materialize if we're still in the early stages of anticipating this productivity and then the demand shock is relatively weak.
Speaker 2: That's something we can look.
Speaker 1: Through at this point based on the backdrop of a FED that probably is going to be pretty reluctant to high grates even if there is a pretty strong labor market. You do have inflation that continues to run hotter and the fact that globally you're seeing investment pretty substantially coming from governments in a whole host of different metrics.
Speaker 4: How much do you hate long end bonds?
Speaker 7: I think long end bonds have repriced. It's really interesting if you again zoom out thirty year yields at five percent, maybe your shade above. There are two questions to ask, to what extent is the FED going to protect the inflation risk premium further out of the curve? And I think they've started to move in the direction of offering investors that protection tightening policy in the front end.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 7: The result here is the yield curve has started to flatten quite materially. If you look at those spreads between five year yields and thirty year yields, they're now the lowest level in about a year, meaningful signal that policy is getting tighter. I like that as a long bond holder, and so I think that risk award is getting a lot more attractive.
Speaker 5: And what's different than the peak productivity boom in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 7: So that story, you know, it begins in the mid nineties, it ends in the mid two thousands. We still don't have a great I think answers to why did it run out of steam? And so I think the big difference today is we're still in the build up phase. We're still front loading demand in the form of AI investment. It's not clear that the productivity boom that is to come is going to be similar in magnitude or duration.
Speaker 2: It could be a lot smaller, it could be a lot longer.
Speaker 7: And again, these are bets that the FED is going to have to chew through as they make mounty policy.
Speaker 5: What do you think the first meeting for Kevin Walsh looks.
Speaker 7: Like, boy, it's really hard. He's got a long agenda. I think the nice sort of forcing function here at the start of his tenure is we have a little bit of an inflation problem. So issues around FED communication issues around the FED balance sheet in some ways step into the background, and so it's an opportunity to focus on the issue at hand, which is where do we need to set monetary policy for the next six to twelve months.
Speaker 2: So you parish growth, just the way you talked about market pricing being somewhat tight and being encouraged by where we read the long kan I just wanted if you parish on growth.
Speaker 7: I think it's one of the strongest sort of consensus points at the market is that growth is very solid for the foreseeable future and the labor markets are stabilized. If there is a lesson from the course to the past several years, as we can be surprised in both fronts. I think the pricing, whether you look at equity markets or through the lens of credit spreads, the pricing.
Speaker 2: From growth is very healthy. There's a lot more room to be surprised to the risks the underpriced interest in that. Thank you, let's think about that at Osannida. Have Columbia threatened to This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, an gient politics. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and as always, on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app.