Speaker 1: Did the Minnesota Timberwolves ruin which what was one of the most exciting young teams in the NBA. It feels like they have HM. It's time for some real talk in Minnesota. This team was fun last year. They were one of the top scoring teams in the NBA. They were long, they were athletic, they were monsters, and they were exciting. They had the best like, best athletes, best offense. And now what do we got.
Speaker 2: Have you seen any games?
Speaker 1: If you're a casual fan, have you watched It's like watching paint dry out there. It's like watching the It's like watching the Utah Jazz from last year.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's like watching.
Speaker 1: The Blazers with Terry Stotts as the coach and CJ McCollum and Evan Turner. That's what we're talking about there. It's ugly out here on these streets right now.
Speaker 2: And I've been curious. I asked Nick Nurse about it. How's it gonna work? How are they gonna play them together? How are teams going to defend them?
Speaker 1: They went all in on Rudy. We all know this is probably a deal that will never see again. They paid more overpaid. They thought it was gonna work. The rationale was that it would strengthen what was a very pay per thin defense, right, very terrible, terrible defense. It allows Karl Anthony Towns to not get in the foul trouble, allows him to function on the perimeter and be a monster on the boards on the weak side, be a monster on offense. And in theory that works because in my mind, my brain when it was explained to me, I was like, oh, that makes sense, But that is only in theory theories. When you put them out into the real world, you got to see whether they hold muster. And it really didn't take into account that this Wolve's team is largely built for a very very different offense than I don't know, two seven footers drible handoff, drible handoff, drible handoff that they're currently running in Minnesota with a guy who isn't really a point guard. He's a two guard mass grading as a one akad loo. And again, that was Karl Anthony Towns's best friend, so that's why he's around.
Speaker 2: Let's say things.
Speaker 1: Aren't going according to plan from what Tim Connolly wanted to do. We're closing in on ten games into the season, and the sample size is producing some concerning results. Let's just say that the Wolves played the San Antonio Spurs, which is a team that we know and we've talked about is actively tanking for Victor Wambanyama.
Speaker 2: Right, this team is not going.
Speaker 1: No fucking place, and somehow they have lost twice of three times. How the hell are they played three times? And they are losing in a variety of very ugly ways. I saw them looking very horrible against the Utah Jazz, who Rudy Gobert was traded from a team that looks very spicy and exciting now that he is no longer on set team. But it was really a couple of nights ago that this caught my full attention, got home, sat at the crib, watched the disgusting offense and defense that is the Minnesota Timberwolves against the Phoenix Suns. The easiest bet I've ever made in my life was Sons money line against the Wolves. They rolled into the into Phoenix and they were three and a half point dogs because there was what no DeAndre Ayton.
Speaker 2: And on paper, you.
Speaker 1: Gotta like your odds. You got two seven footers and who do they got? Jock Landell, Jock Landell. I would hit up my coworker to ask where Jock Landell went to school, because I can already hear him thinking about it and telling me about where he went to school and Bismack Biambo. Instead, the Phoenix Suns ran the Wolves off the court. It was so gross on offense. The Wolves starting five ran one dribble handoff after another, then one on one basketball around the perimeter. Just you get the ball, you get the ball, just no cutting, no weaving, and then a turnover or a chuck or a shot clock violation. It was one of the nastiest offenses I've ever seen in my life, and of course it didn't work.
Speaker 2: I think that that shitty offense is gonna work.
Speaker 1: No, and Phoenix is one of the best defensive perimeter teams in the league. They sussed that out, snuffed it out so fast, and it was so gross. No creativity, no flow until what happened. You already know what happened. Until Rudy Gobert went off the floor. Rudy was off the floor, things started to move better. Suns, though, then attacked Carl Anthony Towns for the defense of SIV that he is in the middle baked him and the Timberwolves like their.
Speaker 2: Name was rotisserie chicken. I don't really know if that's quite baking.
Speaker 1: It's more rotisseriy ing. They rotisseriid them like rotisserie chicken. Only their bench had success. When the second team was in against Phoenix, they actually cut the lead to two shocking starters returned night Night sleep mask for y'all.
Speaker 2: Lead explodes in balloons again.
Speaker 1: Earlier against the Spurs, the bench again cuts a massive lead against San Antonio down to a few points.
Speaker 2: Then Rudy could and the starters come in murdered. It's murder, and that is the issue. Rudy.
Speaker 1: Rudy is the issue. Carl is the issue, and Rudy is the issue. Put them together horrible, horrible, And I think Rudy could bring something to some team like I don't think he's like completely unusable. But is he usable for the Timberwolves. I don't know yet. I am not sure. I am reserving judgment. I am saying, though, let's keep our eye on it very closely.
Speaker 2: I don't think my Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Has any idea how to use him at the same time that they're using Karl Anthony Towns to balance two seven footers with different games, different styles, and they're trying to make it mesh with. I don't know a six foot six guard who wants to operate like Michael Jordan and he has no fucking space. That's where we're going from here. Anthony Edwards, who took a massive leap forward to MVP type stardom last year, how do we know that there's an issue with him? How do we know there's an issue with this team? He has zero dunks on the year, folks, None Almost ten games in he has not one zilch of a dunk. He was asked about it. What do you think he did give us the give us a pr answer. No, he's a treasure. Of course, he told us the truth.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 1: Everybody's in the paint. I'm only six four six'. Five by the, Way, aunt you're six to. Six you know THAT i can't jump over. Everybody, MAN i ain't as tall As. Giannis everybody be asking me to dunk the ball like it's all peaches and. Cream i've gotta get a good lane to dunk the. Ball, Yes, aka according To, Ant according to anybody with two, eyes the Spacing's aunt can't get his rudy clogs up the.
Speaker 2: Middle aunt can't. Cook he has to take mid range.
Speaker 1: Shots mid range shots one of the least, efficient one of the most difficult shots to make in this, league one of the least. Valuable he doesn't heat up because he's not getting easy, buckets not going to the. Line in the playoff series Against, Memphis Aunt edwards went through the line on average six times this, year four. Times he's only had six free throws once this. Year if you want to know how confused it is about, this he's pretty. Confused let's let's show you his post game presser after The wolves got just absolutely demolished by The.
Speaker 2: Suns he's telling me that when we're in the, game we're, losing and when they're in the, game we got a better chance of. Winning SO i don't like the sound of. That so we're gonna figure it.
Speaker 1: Out, yeah that's that's. Crazy we'll go Last. Washington that's, crazy. Bro we all in the minus and y'all, all, yeah all the starters are negative for the, game all of the bench players are. Positive, yeah that is fucking. Crazy it is because everybody was not expecting, that.
Speaker 2: So there's a.
Speaker 1: Problem there's a little, problem a little baby to baby seven footer, problems and they have become big issues because If Aunt, edwards one of the most, happy go lucky, players isn't, happy the team's future is murky and there is no Way aunt wants four years of nothing but fifteen, footers no, shot just three point chucks and fifteen.
Speaker 2: Footers how do you fix? IT i mean number, one either De anthony or De.
Speaker 1: Anthony either D'Angelo russell needs to turn into a real point guard or he needs to.
Speaker 2: Go pretty.
Speaker 1: Much he either needs to turn Into Tyas jones or they need to Get Tias.
Speaker 2: Jones pretty.
Speaker 1: Much there's just not enough thought giving to Putting Anthony edwards in the place where he, succeeds and he should be put in the positions to succeed at all.
Speaker 2: Times and that falls on not just De, low but Also Chris.
Speaker 1: Finch let's be hon. It do we feel like maybe a more creative coach could make this thing? Work do we feel like Maybe Nick nurse could make this? Work and that's no shade Because Chris finch And Nick nurse are friends and they've coached together and they have worked together as. Pros but this offense is. Stagnant you should probably pass the. Ballmore you should probably cut without the. Ballmore you should, PROBABLY i don't, know put some more fast athletic players out there and that want to. Try this could be also a huge. Mistake, honestly we could look back and say this was maybe the greatest trade bunder of all, time given how much they gave, up how much they're probably never gonna give up again for a player of his. Caliber and the bummer is that one of the most exciting teams in THE nba last year is going to have to be boring to. SUCCEED i don't want.
Speaker 2: That do you want?
Speaker 1: That rudy Go beer fucking, Sucks, honestly like he ruins.
Speaker 2: Everything he Ruined Donovan.
Speaker 1: Mitchell he ruined basketball when he shut the league down due TO covid and his mouth all over the, microphone and now he's Ruining Minnesota. Timberwolves being the darling of THE, nba the upstart, TEAM a rod must be. Pissed fuck that, guy he's probably saying.
Speaker 2: Next to The, grizzlies this was probably the most fun team in the.
Speaker 1: League now boring half court offense that might get you fifty wins and OF i don't, know first first round exit at. Best at, worst this team is a lottery. TEAM i hate to say. It the last two, days everybody's seeing, it everybody's talking about.
Speaker 2: It people are starting to come.
Speaker 1: Around Charles barkley said that starting two seven footers can't work in the MODERN. Nba it makes it too hard to guard the. Three and you know it's a three point driven. League teams who The wolves have to beat out they all shoot a lot of. Threes, MAVs, Suns, Warriors clippers shoot a million million a, game sixty sixty five a. Game, finally Even chrispinch knows. Who but's starting to get a little. Warm, huh he, said uh kfan the local sports.
Speaker 2: Station there really hasn't been a whole lot of growth with our unit.
Speaker 1: Yet we haven't been able to find or sustain when we do find a consistent rhythm on our. Offense, offensively we're behind WHERE i thought we would. BE i thought we'd be a little further, Ahead and WHEN i start looking at, it we dropped the big stone in a puddle and we've got some big ripples right.
Speaker 2: Now the big stone Is Rudy gobert's and he he.
Speaker 1: Is we need to keep working on it and figuring out some new concepts that are probably gonna put our players in slightly better positions than we have been putting them. IN i have a, thought why not Bring Rudy gobert off the? BENCH i don't, know bring him in for. Defense sounds like a guy who traded in a Vintage porsche for this new model only to find out that it's A honda and a.
Speaker 2: Bodykit it's not A porsche at, All it's actually just a.
Speaker 1: Bodykit The wolves now are playing, awful gross, basketball tough to, watch but from a betting, perspective automatic. Money just fade, them just fade them all a year. Long how long is it going to take to figure it? OUT i hope sixty.
Speaker 2: GAMES i hope eighty two games BECAUSE i want to make money this.
Speaker 1: Season but if you're A timberwolf, fan you've got to, say, man things unravel before they even got. Going at what point do you, say maybe someone's gotta? Go what point do you Say harden went.
Speaker 2: A year into his tenure In.
Speaker 1: Brooklyn maybe we should probably Let rudy, go or maybe we should Let kat. Go someone's gotta Go at that, point who? Goes, remember LIKE i, said The nets gave up a ton For, harden and he too was gone in a little over a. Year