Speaker 1: You know, speaking of that time, you know something that was really a touch of my heart and with Miami, you donasas them u D. He came to my video shoot, one of my first videos called Born and Raised in the County of Dad and to this day he walks out to it all the.
Speaker 2: Time he was in the video. So it's just love. And you know, you just brought the championship. You know, those days were like so maya mental. It was so big for the city.
Speaker 1: We're still proud and nobody could take that away from us because it's like it's it's in stone and history.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That time Kaled was speaking of was actually four years before Lebron and Boss joined Miami. When The Heat won its first title in two thousand and six, it was Miami establishing itself as one of the premier franchises, pairing championship success with the natural draws of the Miami lifestyle. It was that title that even allowed Miami to be one of the finalists to land Lebron in free agency. Welcome back to four years of Heat. I'm your host Israel Gutierrez and this is episode five.
Speaker 4: The Crown.
Speaker 3: In twenty twelve, that winning experience was still fresh in the memories of head coach Eric Spolstra and the two players remaining from that six championship, Dwayne Wade and Eudonnas Haslam. Combined that with the pain still felt by all the players returning off the finals disappointment against Dallas, and the Heat checked all the necessary boxes when it came to experience and motivation. Their opponents in the twenty twelve finals, The Oklahoma City Thunder couldn't say the same. They were a young team led by Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden, all of whom were twenty three or younger and had won just one playoff series in their young careers prior to the twenty twelve playoffs. They were led by a coach in Scott Brooks, who was just in his fourth year at the position.
Speaker 4: It was all a.
Speaker 3: Stark contrast to what the Heat faced in the veteran Celtics in the conference finals and their head coach, Doc Rivers, who'd already won a title as a coach in two thousand and eight. Mario Chalmers was in his fourth year in the league in twenty twelve and had started all sixty four games he played that regular season. He learned from his veteran teammates that series just how much experience in these situations actually.
Speaker 4: Helps a team.
Speaker 3: It's not just something analysts say when they're trying to predict the outcome of a series. Experience actually matters. Here's Chalmers, like.
Speaker 5: You said, the said before that we played Boston older team, the EXQ to a T. They got Doc Rivers, who has some of the greatest ato players ever. So you know with them, you got to focus on all of the little things, and the little things is going to you do the little things right, it's going to help you. With us going into the OKC series, we knew that there was a young team. We knew they had two three stars James Harmer was a star at that time, and we knew that they was young. And even though I'm young, I'm hearing these old guys, the older guys, the Shane Battier's and the d Ways and Lebrons talk about like they don't have the experience that we had. And I remember in that series Shane Baddi a kme to and he was like he's like this, Seri's gonna be big for both of us. I'm like, why he said, cause were gonna have the two hardest matchups, Like, what do you mean? He's like, You're gonna have Westbrook and most of the time I have KD. He said, the biggest thing that we have to do is get them to not work with each other.
Speaker 6: And I was like, how do you do that?
Speaker 7: He was like, every time Westbrook get the ball, just telling them to.
Speaker 4: Go Westbrook season open.
Speaker 8: That gets to the rabbit LA.
Speaker 9: So then oh, want to Freddy play from Russell Westbrook.
Speaker 5: So I'm sitting there going Westbrook like, oh you got it, go go go. And so Westbrook did good forty three and one of those games and went crazy, but we still won because that was.
Speaker 7: Our game plan after let both of them get off in the same game.
Speaker 4: So it was that playground style. I know, that's your shot, you got that, that's you and it worked.
Speaker 2: It worked.
Speaker 5: I mean it made me look bad some games because Wes west did go on. He didn't miss any shots, but it definitely worked to the game plan.
Speaker 3: What's wild about the idea of literally asking Russell Westbrook to shoot in order to disrupt the thunders chemistry is the public narrative around the pair was exactly that they don't work well together and therefore couldn't win at the highest level. Surely, reaching the finals together was an indication that it was all a false narrative, and that Durant and Westbrook in particular are too talented to fail. Regardless of the awkward chemistry.
Speaker 4: Westbrook split slap pad, he puts it out of file.
Speaker 3: The Heat strategy was a difficult concept to remain faithful in once the Heat lost the finals opener in Oklahoma City one oh five ninety four behind thirty six points from Durant and twenty seven eleven and eight from Westbrook. Only one other player, Serge Ibaka, even scored in double figures for the Thunder in Game one, and yet it was a comfortable win.
Speaker 10: Weg right, Durant splicing left pouts past Low, Collinson high stepped away for fuss six slams the Thunder in a Dota Royal, I'll come from thirteen back to defeat, say Heat, He'll take the one game to the lead.
Speaker 3: Still, there was something about the initial game experience that had the Heat believing the title was theirs. The last time they'd lost a game Game five against the Celtics and the conference finals. It felt as if the world was about to collapse on them. After this loss, the championships somehow felt closer than ever before. Shane Battier chose the Heat that offseason to put an NBA championship on his resume to match his college and high school titles. He had a strong feeling he'd finally get it, despite being down in the series one game to none. He called this group a team of destiny. But there were more tangible reasons for his belief as well, and it had to do with who's Scott Brooks decided to put on the court each night to match up with the Heats now smaller lineup.
Speaker 4: Here's Battier.
Speaker 6: We played really well, game won, and so we left that game, We're like, oh, we're winning Game two. And we came out and just you know, laid the hammer on him, you know, and I think the guy who I think is Kendrick Perkins, that was Scott Brooks, like would refuse to take Kendrick Perkins out and do the sensible thing of playing KD at the four and matching up with our small ball, But instead, like they said, this is how we play we're going to play backham Perkins together, and so I got a free pass on defense. I didn't have to guard anybody because Perk got one one post up per game and that was it. And then he didn't chase me out in three point line. And so I shot like fifty percent from the from the three in the in the finals, and we were able to get our guys downhill with space, and it was it was the perfect It was the perfect storm. And so I got to look at that series. I'm like, I don't know why they wouldn't go small play Kad on me and totally match up. And so once we got that game too and we won, We're like, oh yeah, we're we're winning this. We're winning this.
Speaker 3: The Heat did win Game two in Oklahoma City, despite playing smaller than the thunder Bosh pulled in fifteen rebounds, James scored thirty two, and Battier hit five of seven threes on his way to seventeen points.
Speaker 4: The drive gets to the n kicks it up, Battier's open.
Speaker 6: That's a three.
Speaker 3: Battier, by the way, short changed himself with those shooting numbers. He actually shot fifty eight percent from three in those twenty twelve Finals.
Speaker 11: So hello short Ron, James kicks it up top batty, He left wide open downs another.
Speaker 3: By the time Game four arrived, with the Heat up two games to one, with two more games to be played in Miami, there wasn't much drama remaining about the Only question marks left were first, just how much scoring could the Heat with stand from Westbrook and still win? And second would Lebron throw a wrench in the operation by suffering from some untimely muscle cramps. James had experienced severe cramping in games before, dating all the way back to his high school days, when he even went through a series of medical tests because of it. The answer to the first question was apparently foury three points, which is what Westbrook scored in Game four, and the Heat won by just six points. The answer to the second was yes, Lebron would make matters more complicated due to cramps. He exited Game four with five minutes fifteen seconds remaining with severe leg cramps, only to return one minute later. He hit one three pointer and missed another before leaving the game again for good with fifty five seconds left and the Heat up just three.
Speaker 11: Lebron is cramping up me he is down on the deck.
Speaker 6: The timing could not be any worse.
Speaker 3: But on the very next possession the game four, Hero Chalmers drove for a layup to put Miami up four with forty four seconds left. Then he hit three or four free throws in the final seconds to seal the win on the driving side to.
Speaker 8: The remp lay up and got it carry o Jummers on the running lay up, Miami now by five and the Miami he win the game four one oh four ninety eight and lead three games, the one in the NBA Finals.
Speaker 3: Chalmers scored twenty five points, matching his playoff career high, and his motivation for the career highlight of a game was classic Chalmers. Kevin Durant was assigned to defend Chalmers this game. Chalmers saw that as an insult.
Speaker 7: I had two bad games before it.
Speaker 5: Well, not two bad games, but I didn't have the games I expected to have come into the finals. So I was a little down on myself. So I remember going to that shoot around. Coach Bo was on me. Everybody was on me, like real, get your head up, come on real, we need you. Tonight, gonna be all night, tonight, gonna be all night, Like I heard that throughout the whole shoot around, So I'm kind of like, all right, are y'all gassing me up to tell me that y'all want me?
Speaker 7: Like that's all I need. You tell me that you need something from me. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 5: So now I remember after that, I took my nap and d Wade had text me right before the game or right before I head to the gym, and He's like, Yo, be ready to night.
Speaker 7: I feel like it's gonna be a big one for you.
Speaker 5: I was like, okay, So already in my mind, I'm thinking like, okay, something specially is gonna happen tonight. Then when I seen that, it was like, why is KD guard me? I'm not one of the stars on the team, Like this is the finals, Like you're supposed to be guarding Braun or d Wade, Like this is a matchup for y'all. So by you guard me means that you're trying to rest and save all your stuff for offense. I'm not the type of player where I can't score. I can't go get a bucket. I just don't because I got three Hall of favors that do a little bit better than me. So by that it's like, okay, now that they see that your guarding me, they're running a little bit more plays for me, for me to be active and to get you active on defense so you can't rest.
Speaker 7: And I'm actually hitting my shots. So now I'm in the rhythm.
Speaker 5: Now I feel like I can go, and I keep going, and my teammates keep feeding me, they keep finding me.
Speaker 7: I'm getting a little broken, played a little.
Speaker 5: Easy way ups, open threes, and it was just like everything was just going my way that game, and I felt good. I felt great about it, and just one of them games, like you said, I always have a big game in the playoffs, like I always want to leave my mark and whatever championship, whatever series on Man.
Speaker 7: Just so you could say we can rely on.
Speaker 3: Mike in game five, it would be another reliable piece, Mike Miller who helped shoot his good buddy Lebron into a championship celebration. Miller hit seven of eight three pointers on his way to twenty three points in twenty three minutes off the bench.
Speaker 12: Miller for three bag Mike Miller from Downtown. Then the Heat lead by fifteen.
Speaker 13: Manama shot block wait the Miller another three got another one.
Speaker 11: Oh my goodness, you are watching perfection, not to seventh.
Speaker 3: Tray Miller was the player Eudonnis Haslam says connected the dots with that Heat team, getting along with each individual, so his performance in that championship clincher made for an even more joyful experience. But all eyes were on Lebron James as he was about to win his first championship and his first Finals MVP Trophy. He and the remaining starters were taken out of the game with three minutes and one second left in the season and a twenty two point lead.
Speaker 11: Ron James with a triple double. Most important game in his career.
Speaker 7: Lebron James will come out of the game to.
Speaker 4: The roar of the crowd.
Speaker 3: Wade, with a championship already in hand, made sure he watched his good friend Lebron's reaction to winning his first.
Speaker 14: He talked about that moment so many times, when the clock is winding down and you know you got the game in hand and it's about to be a celebration, And I turned around and looked at him, and I just seen the smile on his face.
Speaker 6: He look like he look key at that moment.
Speaker 3: Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press would keep his eyes on James the rest of the way.
Speaker 15: There's that image of him, you know, jumping up and down on the sideline and swinging his arms with The very first thing he did when he knew supposed taking him out of the game was he went over to Chris Bosh and he just bowed his head into Chris's chest. It was like relief, it was joy, it was thank you. Like he doesn't always show a super ton of emotion, but it was so telling to me that the first person he went to go almost pay tribute to in a way was Chris.
Speaker 2: That was cool.
Speaker 15: And then the clock go zero and he doesn't storm the floor. They're not holding each other back, they're not doing any of that stuff that you would typically see when the clock go zero for a championship.
Speaker 11: Let the coronation begin. Lebron James has helped Brown Miami a champion of the basketball world. There'll be another barade down beautiful Ben's game. Follah bah.
Speaker 15: He's got the towel up, and he goes down and he embraces Kevin Durant and he wraps Kevin Durant up and starts whispering in his ear about how your.
Speaker 2: Time is coming.
Speaker 15: It was very cool in the moment that he recognized there was more to the moment just you.
Speaker 7: But yes, the weight.
Speaker 15: Had been lifted and then he became lebron three point oho or four point oh, whatever he became at that point because on top of being the baddest man in the world, now he's a champion on top of it.
Speaker 4: All right, that's why we trained each other twos ago. Who's gonna be champions?
Speaker 2: Man, It's been a long problem.
Speaker 16: We're today.
Speaker 3: James recovered from his lowest professional moment, failing against the Mavericks on the biggest stage in basketball, to raise two gold trophies one year later, on a day he called the best of his life.
Speaker 6: We did Jews last year's experience.
Speaker 17: You know, you know, the heartbreak lost in the finals and you know, me not playing to my abilities and me not making enough players to help our team win that series. You know, it was the at the time, it was the worst thing ever happened to me. But uh, you know, at that point in time, like I said, I was not thinking outside the box at that point in time, and you know I started, you know, after I moped and laid around for a couple of weeks. Uh, you know, I looked in the mirror and uh, you know, figured out ways I can help this team win, you know, figure out ways I can be better on and off the floor. And now you know, today being the NBA champion, you know, you know, that loss, you know, and that heartbreak was the best thing that ever happened to me because it basically refocused me, It rehumbled me, and uh, you know, basically put me back in a position where I just started back with the basics, and uh, you know I was able to you know, regain who I am, you know, both on and off the floor.
Speaker 3: Miami was at the time one of the ten franchises to win multiple titles, joining the Celtics, Lakers, Warriors, Bulls, Spurs, seventy six Ers, Pistons, Knicks, and Rockets. Lebron James was most believed on his way to fulfilling that infamous promise of not one, not two, not three. To get to this point, though, the parts around him had.
Speaker 4: To evolve as well.
Speaker 3: It wasn't just about upgrading the roster from one year to the next. It wasn't just about Wade handing the lead role to Lebron full time. It also included Chris Bosh adjusting to a pair of teammates that dominate the same area of the floor he did, and adjusting to an NBA that was almost requiring big men to shoot from three point range. And then there was Eric Spolstra, the coach who'd been questioned since day one. The first season with James Wade and Bosh featured too much predictable offense, and Spolster would have his own regrets about the system he was using all season. This first championship season would provide the breakthrough both Bosh and spolsterra needed.
Speaker 9: Our team went through a lot together and all those adversities in tough times, and then you're finally able to get over the hump and climb that mountain and do it collectively. It's an incredibly gratifying experience for Spolstra.
Speaker 3: His biggest philosophical shift happened after that disappointing twenty eleven finals. He was so determined not to end another season feeling like he could have done more, so he traveled across the country to Eugene, Oregon, to meet with Ducks football coach Chip Kelly. He'd reach out to so many more coaches that offseason, including Mike Krzyzewski, John Klipowi, and Urban Meyer. His pace and space concept, most influenced by Chip Kelly's football philosophy, had the Heat playing fast and their stars playing aggressively, utilizing their athletic advantages while leaving much of the outside shooting to the support players. This way, teams like Dallas couldn't take those advantages away by comfortably settling into their defense.
Speaker 18: This brotherhood, they can't ever take it away from us.
Speaker 4: Twenty five years.
Speaker 18: From now, we're going to be coming back together in this semi circle and talking about this journey.
Speaker 3: Even within that twenty eleven twelve season, however, Spolster was proving he'd learned from his first season with this group. He'd adjust however necessary. It was never more obvious than in between playoff series against the Pacers and Celtics. Against the Pacers, the Heat had to match up with a bigger team and did it with their best big Bosh missing due to injury. In the very next series against the smaller Celtics team, Spolster changed everything about the offense. Battier was one of the versatile players who allowed Spolster to make the postseason switch with confidence.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we literally went to a like a five out offense. You know, most of our sets when CP was healthy, we're getting with these kind of like long, like ten second plays and we'd get like a you know, a cutter running across the floor, cause misdirection and try to hit you know, one of our all stars where they could go to work. So it's much more like traditional like they don't play this win in the NBA anymore, but like much more traditional sets. And we went to an entirely like red based offense. We called it five out, where the center actually was at the top of the three point line and he was the key decision maker. And it was a series of back cuts and curl cuts and still getting our guys in position to do stuff. But like and then the spacing was entirely different. And so for the first time really since those guys have been there. Because I was a group three point shooter and would draw the defense out, these guys had a room to operate and get downhill, and it was sort of like, wow, this is different. You know, we actually have space to operate now. And obviously you know, every team went to playing small ball, but that's that's the advantage of playing small where you create more space for the best players to operate, and the lanes they can get downhill get to the basket much larger, and it just puts pressure on the defense an entirely different way, and like like, defenses weren't used to that, so they had a really really hard time adjusting to sort of this news. You know, we call a pace in space game that was brand new.
Speaker 3: Spolster was also the unofficial founder of positionless basketball. Sure he had Lebron James by his side, but no one else had unlocked this version of Lebron. And after Spolster withstood the firestorm that was this Heat team and came out with a championship, he was as confident as his players were. Stan Van Gundy was an assistant coach under Riley with the Knicks and Heat. He was the head coach of the Heat from two thousand and three to two thousand and five. He coached the Orlando Magic to a Finals appearance, coached and was president of basketball operations for the Detroit Pistons, and coached the New Orleans Pelicans, and is now a color analyst for TNT. Spolster was an assistant under Van Gundy when he coached the Heat, and he coached against Van Gundy for more than a decade.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that made them scary as a competitors. I knew damn well that Eric would do a great job with that. And I think one of the reasons that Eric, say, as good as he is in general, but was great with that group is Eric's ego never gets involved in the thing. Eric is just a guy who's always searching for the best way to do things and the best way to maximize his players and his team. And he's never going to get caught up in an ego battle, you know. I don't think it ever bothered him that during that time he still didn't get as much credit as he deserved. All the credit went to Pat, And I think a lot of people saw like Pat was behind the scenes, like pulling the strings and you know, had an ear piece in and was just Eric was doing which was not close to the truth. And I think a lot of people, a lot of coaches would have gotten upset or been unnerved by that. Eric's able to block out all those things, all those distractions, all those ego things just never mattered to him. I mean, he just stayed focused on doing the best job for that team. And I think, look, you don't have to be around that for very long as a player before you have great respect. And then on top of it, it wouldn't take you very long to figure out that he knows what he's talking about basketball wise. I mean he can teach, he can coach, he can game plan, he can xin like, this guy's really really good. So you put those two things together, his tactical ability and his lack of ego, there's a third thing there is He's firm. I mean, you know, like Eric's not gonna just back down. If guys like I don't feel like and walk through today, well we're gonna do walk through today, you know, regardless if they think it's too long. It's he's just not like he's going to decide what's right. I'm not saying he won't listen to his players, but he's going to decide what's right and he's going to stick to it. And you know he's not afraid. I mean, he's he's got a lot going for him. He was the perfect coach for that group.
Speaker 3: Sposture was at the very least an ideal coach for Bosh during this journey. From the start of his time with Miami, Bosh was regularly ridiculed. Even if insults were aimed at Lebron, Bosh would often get hit with shrapnel. Even Van Gundy had jokes he called Bosh Dwayne Wade's lapdog after he chose Miami.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't really and I do regret the comment, mainly because I've got unbelievable respect for Chris Boss. We had played him his Toronto team in the playoffs and you know, had a tough series with them because of Chris Bosh so certainly knew how good he was, respected his approach to the game and everything else. I think at the time it was just a little bit of discuss, I guess for these guys, you know, just he and Lebron really like having to sort of hop on the bandwagon because they couldn't get it done on their own, you know. Is the way I looked at it in retrospect looking back. You know, look all of us coaches, players, everybody. You look for the best situation you can find. Now we all do it in our jobs. I mean, if tomorrow you could find a situation that was a lot better for you and your job, you'd certainly want to do that. We all do, and so to begrudge those guys that really wasn't fair of me. But that's the way I was looking at it time, Like I looked at it as a weakness. I'll admit that's the way I'm sitting in Orlando. I'm saying, well, Lebron couldn't read us in Cleveland, and Chris couldn't beat us in Toronto, So yeah, run on down to Miami and get some you know, get some help from Dwayne, and now you guys can be good.
Speaker 3: Supposed to heard what was being said about Bosh. More importantly, he knew what kinds of sacrifices Bosh had to make to join this championship team, so supposed to reminded listeners every chance he got that Bosh was the most important piece on that team. It's hard to completely agree when you know his teammate is the league MVP, but Spoke often made his point. Battier certainly recognized Bosh's sacrifice despite joining in Bosh's second year with the Heat.
Speaker 6: You know, ceb probably had him to sacrifice the most, the most touches, the most opportunity. Look in Toronto, he was used to getting the ball, you know, twenty twenty four times in the mid post, the low posts and the high posts, and he could just sort of right and wheel and deal. And they tried that, you know, the first year the Big Three, and it just didn't work just because the spacing was was poor and Lebron and d weren't great three point shooters, so Cbe just didn't have room to operate. And so he really had to change his his his game come much more of a pick and roller. But again, like he was a power forward who didn't shoot threes that entire regular season. You know, we started Joel, Anthony and CB at the four or five, and so most people think about Chris Bosh as this like stretchy, you know, first early adopter as a small ball center, but he was still like a traditional power forward. Throw the ball to him on the blocks that let him go to work. You know, he evolved into like the ultimate weapon in terms of just being an unbelievable pick and roll defender. They probably the best pick and roll defender in the league that second and third year, and he was like the skeleton key that unlocked really everything defensively for us, and you know, offensively expanded his game. But he he sacrifice a lot. So CB deserves a lot of credit for his humility and his competitiveness to Winder in that.
Speaker 3: Stretch after a championship, Bosch and company not only knew what they had was good enough to win it all, they also knew Bosch's continued evolution would help the Heat adjust to a league that was becoming more reliant on three point shooting. Ray Allen was a part of Celtic's teams that lost to James Wade and Bosch in the previous two postseasons. Before that, he was pivotal to the Celtics winning the two thousand and eight championship in his first season with that team. The idea of him joining the Heat after having such an intense rivalry seemed unfathomable, at least to those who cheered him on or played with him in Boston. But Allen had already been involved in trade discussions that season, and the team was leaning toward building with the younger with John Rondo. Allen's other options that offseason included the Clippers, Grizzlies, Timberwolves, and Heat and the heated encounters against Myami didn't exactly have them on top of his list.
Speaker 16: Initially, I wasn't comfortable at all.
Speaker 19: It was it was such a difficult position that I was in, and we were in a position where, you know, we were on decline in Boston and there's a point in our negotiations where they seemed like they just fell apart. I had visited Miami and I was on the way, and that was even odd by the way coming down to Miami and kind of walking into Sposed office and kind of talking to them about this whole process, and there was that simbolus of you know, there's a wolf in the henhouse, you know when I walk in. And I legitimately was doing my due diligence because from there, from Miami, I was about to fly to LA because the Clippers are also on the table as well, and I really was, you know, interested in playing in LA for the Clippers. I couldn't see myself as a Heat, you know, playing for the Heat.
Speaker 3: The Clippers, who Allan was quite interested in, signed another shooting guard, Jamal Crawford, that offseason. The Grizzlies, Wolves, and Heat were Alan's final options.
Speaker 4: Memphis needed guard.
Speaker 3: Help on a defensive minded team, and Minnesota was a young team built around Kevin Love that was far away from winning at the level Alan craved. In the end, it was Alan's respect for Lebron James that tilted the scales toward Miami. When he chose the Heat, it was something of a shock to the rest of the NBA. The Heat's championship crew just added another sure fire Hall of Famer, and he provides the team with even more deadly shooting around those three dangerous attackers. It was an embarrassment of riches for a Heat team ready to make a repeat run. And the chemistry was evident right from the beginning, getting off to a twenty and six start, including wins against the Celtics and the opener, a Christmas Day Finals rematch against the Thunder and the Spurs, a team Allen in the Heat didn't know would come to be their biggest rival. The way Allen explains it, that chemistry was no accident.
Speaker 19: Well, chemistry is an interesting word because people think chemistry like you walk into a situation and it's either there or it's not. You know, people say, oh, just have great chemistry with this person, Like chemistry is a choice. It's not like you know these potions that we mix into a beaker and then all of a sudden you get this magical formula and allows everything to be great chemistry.
Speaker 16: When you're on a basketball team.
Speaker 19: You learn how to play under the rules, the circumstances, the guidelines of that team, and you learn how to respect the guys that are there, and you make yourself a part of and you kind of motify yourself into this existence of being what this team coach is And then the people on the exterior did say, wow, they got such a great chemistry. No, you worked for that, Like I know, you know, going back to my Seattle days, to Boston and in Miami, I know that I'm not getting the nineteen to twenty shots I got in Seattle. It diminished to Boston and in Miami. So if I bring that mentality into Miami, like I'm supposed to play more, I'm supposed to start, I'm supposed to do all these things, then I'm setting myself up for failure.
Speaker 3: By February of that season, the Heat had added another key role player in Chris Birdman Anderson, a six ' eleventh center who'd provide much needed rebounding and rin protection. To start February, the Heat lost the game in Indiana to that Giant Pacers team that was becoming quite comfortable facing Miami. It was one of the points in the season when a team with championship hopes checks in on itself. Former NBA player and coach Sam Mitchell thought the loss was a warning sign for Miami and set much on NBA TV.
Speaker 20: But Miami, his guys still got those questions lingered out there. Everybody keeps saying they can turn it all when they want to, But I just don't agree with that. Great teams don't do that.
Speaker 2: They meet the challenge.
Speaker 20: They send messages to teams and they let them know that we're stand the dumb the team.
Speaker 3: The heat response to that loss in Indiana started with a bounce back win in Toronto two days later. Then Miami swept a six game homestand including a win over the Lakers, who had tried to make a super team of their own, with Steve Nash and Dwight Howard joining Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles to match Miami's It was no match.
Speaker 6: I think Chalmers got a piece of it.
Speaker 11: The reflection Jags to dabasket who rows it down and Elitea's nine largest stuffy afternoons.
Speaker 3: Then Miami won four more on a road trip, starting with another defeat of vclall home and City and included a win in Chicago where they held the Bulls to sixty seven points and forced twenty six turnovers. It was Miami's ninth win in a row, and Wade and Lebron talked about a defense that was reaching playoff level intensity.
Speaker 14: Through in the season, we wasn't playing the defense we wanted to play, and I think we turned it up. You know, understand it was as stake with this team, and tonight, you know, this team picked us apart last time we played over in the sense that they got everything they wanted. Even though it was tougher them the score and a half court, they still was able to get the ball to the spots they wanted it would enable them to get offensive rebounds. So tonight we wanted to make sure that we pushed them out a little bit more. We took a few more seconds off the clock and just made a little harder.
Speaker 17: We want to try to create turnovers a low let's he gets some easy buckets and fast breakpoints. So there's just another win on the long NBA season. But the best thing about the win we got better.
Speaker 3: Miami had survived a double overtime game against Sacramento for the twelfth win and needed a game winning layup from Lebron with three seconds left to get win number sixteen against the Magic Look with Cheff.
Speaker 2: Part to play kick club Jones with they what's shoven?
Speaker 4: What fides?
Speaker 16: I'm a drive?
Speaker 10: Lesten let the heat league three seconds to play a poll that her court keep ho miny ms many wins have a winning Shixlin time to a sweet sixteen.
Speaker 17: Uh seen avatory. The middle was a little bit open. I went to my right to left cross sole was able to get into the painting finish.
Speaker 4: You guys were up twenty early in.
Speaker 3: The third quarter, before less than a quarter that they took the league.
Speaker 6: What changed.
Speaker 17: We didn't get stops in the third quarter.
Speaker 7: We allowed him to gain confidence and they.
Speaker 17: Started making shots.
Speaker 16: We didn't get stops and it allowed him to.
Speaker 17: Get back into the game.
Speaker 3: At this game, the Cleveland game, the Kings game. What is it about these non playoff teams?
Speaker 16: At home.
Speaker 4: That's been a challenge for you guys.
Speaker 17: You know, it doesn't matter who we're going against, no matter the record, we just want to win. Uh. You know, we took a step back was in the third quarter, but we picked it up in the fourth. Poll was able to get one more st and also get another bucket.
Speaker 3: When the Heat started a five game trip on March thirteenth, the streak had reached nineteen straight. On that road trip, the Heat won in Boston by overcoming a thirteen point fourth quarter deficit to win by two, and it included one of James's signature highlight plays. After forcing a Boston turnover, Norris Cole lobbed a pass for Lebron, who crushed it over a frantically defending Jason Terry, who was also called for a foul. James hovered over Terry for just long enough to receive a technical, but it was probably worth it for that tiny bit of revenge from the twenty eleven finals.
Speaker 8: Jason Terry, good defense way from behind, takes it away.
Speaker 4: Thomas Holland.
Speaker 18: Whoa and a technical foul called on Miami with a taunt.
Speaker 3: Then two nights later in Cleveland, the Heat's deficit twenty seven was actually longer than the streak at the time twenty three, and that was in the third quarter in the same building Lebron triumphantly returned home. In twenty ten. Lebron and the Heat were about to end a historic regular season run. At least it appeared as much to Battier.
Speaker 6: I think that some of the guys said, Okay, it was a great run, good run, good run. Okay, we didn't have it tonight like you had, like every team goes through this. We were like, we don't have tonight. Next one, and it was sort of the bench mob that came through and we started gunning threes and started hitting threes, and all of a sudden, the guys who were like, oh, we can win this game.
Speaker 3: The Heat were down seventy one forty eight with four to twenty eight remaining in the third quarter. That's when Battier and Chalmers took the Heat on their personal thirteen to two run to bring the deficit to a manageable twelve with one forty seven left in the period. That was the cue for James to join the party in his old stomping grounds, and at the nine to forty mark of the fourth period, Lebron hit his third three pointer in a ninety six second stretch that gave Miami an eighty to seventy nine league.
Speaker 12: Lebron pull up free. It's got and Miami that's tied the game. That's seventy seven. Oh my, what're they? Thirty seven to ten run? Yes, you have to have heart for a comeback like this. Oh my, there's another one. Yes, three triples on the fourth quarter for Lebron, and like he'd have an eighty, there's seventy nine league. Amazing, They'll eat on a forty to twelve run Allen straight away triple.
Speaker 3: Alan followed with a three of his own, and Miami never trailed again. They'd need a pair of clutch James free throws in the final seconds to hold off Cleveland and win their twenty fourth straight game. The comeback win was exhilarating. The streak itself, however, had become something of a burden. According to Haslam, the NBA record was thirty three straight wins, held by the seventy one seventy two Los Angeles Lakers. The Heat were approaching that and approaching best team ever conversations.
Speaker 4: Here's Haslam all they wanted to talk about was the street.
Speaker 21: It was no respect for our next opponent, Like there was no respect for our next opponent, Like nobody cared like it was just like they was just assumed we were just going to walk in here and beat these people, and people who don't understand you add gasoline to the fire where we go in here and play these teams, you know what I'm saying. So it stopped becoming about the next opponent in the next game, and all it came about was a streak.
Speaker 3: Wins number twenty five and twenty six came in easy fashion at home against the Pistons and Bobcats. When number twenty seven came up the road in Orlando. It ended in Chicago against the hated Bulls, with future Heat forwards lou All Dang and Jimmy Butler combining for forty five points in the streak Buster Lebron, Spolstra, Wade, and Bosh reflected on the historic streak.
Speaker 17: So we had a moment, you know, you know, just very fortunate and very humble and blessed to be a part of this team and be a part of a streak like that. You know, it's one of the it's one of the best that you know, this league has ever seen. So you know, we recognized that, you know, and rightfully so.
Speaker 18: I had everybody come in put a hand on each other, and for the first time I mentioned the streak in front of the guys, and it was worthy of at least stepping back for those few sharp moments that it was a heck of experience for all of us to have together.
Speaker 14: Unbelievable streak that we was on, you know, but in here it didn't feel like we was on this amazing street, just like we were just playing basketball and we was finding ways to win games, and it just what happened to result into twenty something wins.
Speaker 22: It's been a great run. It's been a great run. We still have a lot of work to do. But like we said before, that wasn't important to us. The streak wasn't important to us. What's important to us is to win a time.
Speaker 17: You know, this is a special team, man, and you know how we are on and off the floor. It's gonna be hard to remember everything, but you know, aw to meately, like you said, we want to win the NBA Championship and along those a longer season, along those rides, you know, you have moments throughout those rides where you can reflect on, and this is one of them.
Speaker 3: Battier had done something similar before with the Houston Rockets, even though it felt quite different. The Rockets win streak in two thousand and eight ended after twenty two games.
Speaker 6: That was way more unexplainable. You know, we're doing it with like young men getting hurt and Kevin tumblou Is fifty years old coming and giving stuff, so like it was an amazing run and we're just you know, we didn't even talk about it because we didn't know how it was happening. Now this was much different, Like, this is much more explainable. We had Hall of famers off and on the line, we're defending champs, and we just got into a zone. And when you're playing like that as a team, like you don't really like analyze it and say like, well, what are we doing better? You just are excited to get to the gym. Everyone's happy, you're joking around, and it was it was a long time between losses. I mean, I look at the calendar now there was the All Star breaking between that, and so a lot of stuff happens were you know, you could lose your bojo. But it was just one of those pure times when we were happy, we were together, we were making shots, and I'm not gonna say it was easy. It wasn't, but it just felt like, Okay, yeah, we're we're gonna win every single night we stepped on the floor.
Speaker 3: The Heat had gone more than seven weeks from February first to March twenty seventh between losses. They were fifty six and fifteen when it ended, and would finish the season with a Heat franchise record sixty six wins, six more than any other team in the league and five more than any other team in Heat history. Lebron would win his fourth MVP award after a regular season that was arguably the greatest of his career. He'd averaged just under twenty seven points, with eight rebounds and more than seven assists per game, but he shot a ridicut. He's fifty six and a half percent from the field for the season. Michael Jordan's most efficient shooting season was in nineteen ninety ninety one, when he shot just under fifty four percent. James was toying with the game at times this season, going one stretch of six games where he scored thirty points or more on sixty percent.
Speaker 4: Shooting or better.
Speaker 3: That ridiculous shooting overshadowed what had been Wade's most efficient season as well.
Speaker 4: Wade shot fifty two.
Speaker 3: Percent from the field that season, a number he'd only best once the very following year, when he'd shoot fifty four and a half percent from the field. In his fourth and final season next to Lebron in Miami, Bosch's averages of just under seventeen points and seven rebounds were his lowest since before he started making All Star Games at age twenty one in Toronto, but his fifty three percent shooting from the field would be his career best, and his willingness to take a then career best seventy four to three pointers would help open up the Heat offense. The entire regular season was a magical run that saw the Heat players make a hilariously memorable video to a trendy song called Harlem Shake, where they all danced in the locker room wearing varying random costumes, and the team reached pass sports to send a powerful message. Following the killing of Trayvon Martin, a seventeen year old black teenager in Sanford, Florida. It was a season Allen was nervous about beginning, but would have no regrets during.
Speaker 19: The Harlem Shake was probably the highlight of that whole experience because in spite of trying to be held to the standard always, we were able to still be goofy, you know, we're able to still just have fun and let you know, like we love what we do. We enjoy being around each other, and we'll do something that sometimes when we go on there and practice score to where kind of dialed in like like that far, you know, in case in point.
Speaker 16: I remember when I got down to Miami.
Speaker 19: I'm just messing around to guys and y'all got stuff going on.
Speaker 6: And Ud looks at me.
Speaker 16: He goes, man, Ray, we did not know you were like this. And I looked at me. I said, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 19: He's like, man, we just thought you just didn't say nothing. Because that was my persona on the court, you know, but off the court, you know, I like to I used to be a practical joker.
Speaker 3: When the Heat reached the playoffs in twenty thirteen, the vibes were still strong. A drama free first round sweep of the pre Yannis Milwaukee Bucks kicked things off. After a week of rest and Lebron being awarded his MVP trophy, the Heat faced those pesky Chicago Bulls, who were still without the injured Derrick Rose, but had broken the Heats twenty seven game win streak and had just come off a seven game series win against the Brooklyn Nets. Joe Kim Noah had developed into an All Star by now and was the heart and soul of these Bulls.
Speaker 23: What I remember the most about that was in the second time we played them in the playoffs, Derek was hurt and Lebron got MVP and it was on the jumbo tron.
Speaker 16: You just see all his highlights.
Speaker 23: He's dunking at the rim like all crazy and I'm looking at Nate and Nate Nate Robinson is looking up.
Speaker 16: And I was like, I just go over there.
Speaker 23: And I was like, Nate, if I see you looking up at that one more time, man, stop looking up.
Speaker 16: I was like, don't even look at that.
Speaker 23: So those are the memories that I'll remember, is just going into there.
Speaker 16: Going in there and just with that fighting spirit.
Speaker 3: That spirit and maybe a week's worth of rust for Miami was enough for Chicago to take game one of the series behind a shocking ten to nothing run to close the ninety three eighty six win. The Bulls were once again injecting a bit of fear into Miami, but it wouldn't last long, the fear or the series. The Heat won the next game by thirty seven points and the series in five games. The most memorable moment in that series wasn't even a play on the floor. It was when a fan named Philomena Tobias tossed the double birds in the direction of Noah as he was leaving the floor following an ejection.
Speaker 4: The image, if you look.
Speaker 3: It up, was Miami basketball fandom in a nutshell at the time, Heat against the world, and in the next series, the Pacers would temporarily rock that Heat world once again. Game one of the Eastern Conference Finals would require a Lebron James buzzer beating layup as a fouled out wide watched from the bench.
Speaker 2: How do you get to it at Jerse James on the.
Speaker 3: Len over time, But the Pacers would complete the deal in Game two, winning ninety seven ninety three in Miami, and suddenly the Heat were one Lebron lay up away from having been down two. Head coach Frank Vogel and his Pacers were playing to his team's strength, which was size and strong defense, to make life difficult for Miami once again. The size of Indiana's big man Roy Hibbert was what separated the Pacers from the rest of Miami's opponents, and in this series, Lebron and Wade in particular were working on their short floaters near the basket to solve the Hibbert dilemma. This wasn't going to be the cruise to the finals the rest of the league expected to watch.
Speaker 4: Here's battier.
Speaker 6: Well, Vogel did a great job of making adjustments. They didn't know how to handle our small wall the first year. The second year they did a much better job and sort of the downfall of our defense, and we were such a high pressure, high intensity defense. It was predicated on speed and like percision, and what Pacers did a very good job at is was using our aggressiveness against us and inviting the trap, getting off it and whipping the ball around and just that was the weakness of our defense, and so they did a much better job of that. And then when you add in the physicality and you know where Hibbert. That was his peak.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 6: He was a big dude, and you know when he would go off and just jump at the rim, there's not much you could do if you pled Lebron and d Wade, and so they just were presented a really tricky matchup. They were more prepared against us this year, and they were hungered. I mean, they were pissed off from the year before, and they really felt that they were better than us, and we thought we were better than them. But like we knew they were a confident bunch against this.
Speaker 3: The Heat and Pacers alternated wins and losses until Miami dominated a Game seven at home ninety nine seventy six and earned a third straight trip to the NBA Finals.
Speaker 18: Never take this for granted, going on this ride to the next round and these next four, whatever it takes together.
Speaker 3: Three Game seven may have been devoid of drama, but Dwayne Wade said overcoming the adversity up to that point helped them thrive in the series clincher.
Speaker 14: I feel like we have individuals on our team they'll respond very well when adversity hit. So, you know, I kind of like it a little bit, you know, I kind of like the way that our team is when we get to those moments when our backs against the wall as individuals, because we got winners, We got champions in our locker room, and you know you don't become a champion by luck.
Speaker 3: Awaiting them in that last series of the year was a team the Heat beat both times they played in the regular season, the San Antonio Spurs.
Speaker 4: The unassuming team.
Speaker 3: From south central Texas had twice as many championships as the Heat to this point, with all four of them coming while head coach Greg Popovich and Tim Duncan led the way, and while the Heat went through a postseason defeating familiar teams with similar physical styles, the Spurs would provide an entire highly different look offensively and a defensive strategy that had already flummoxed to young Lebron James in the two thousand and seven finals while he was a Cavalier. It's the final series of the third season of this now champion Heat team led by James, Wade and Bosh, and it's possible they were about to face their greatest challengers.
Speaker 4: Yet here's Ray Allen.
Speaker 19: The problem is going into San Antonio, they're not gonna let you ground and pound them. They're gonna be moving, they're gonna be setting screens, and you look this way, you look that way, and all of a sudden, the guy's not there anymore. The offense is so much motion they throw the ball ahead that you just never know who is gonna score. And we have more of a traditional way playing through three players.
Speaker 16: Even though they played through three players.
Speaker 19: Patty Mills was a killer out there, Danny Green was a killer were out there. You know, guys that came off the bench were just as productive as their starters, and it made it much more difficult for us in trying to guard those.
Speaker 4: Guys on the next four years.
Speaker 6: If he.
Speaker 21: That's the doubt you get from San Antonio, because unlike some teams, they're not gonna lose it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to win it.
Speaker 17: You know, with twenty plus seconds ago and us being down five, you know, the human nature doubts starts to creep into your mind.
Speaker 14: You see San Antonio fans popping in jerseys, you know, jumping up and down. It's a dark moment.
Speaker 6: I was trying to will it in existence. That's the way to say. We were all trying to will that that feeling into existence. I don't know in our heart of hearts if be truly truly confident, but we were trying to fake it. That we've made it.
Speaker 13: It's like, holy smokes, like this is surreal, Like we're about to win the NBA Championship in Game six. Did not see this coming, and then no one saw what coming what happened after that?
Speaker 19: You know, all the shots I've hit my career, like this is the one that people will talk about the most, and this will be the one that you know at this stage, at this level, where it changed the tide.
Speaker 16: Of a lot of people's careers on both sides.
Speaker 13: And then to get to that point where the trophy's twelve feet to your left, it's hard to put that into words, what that emotion was.
Speaker 3: Four Years of Heat is a production of iHeartRadio and the NBA