Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: What does the CMO actually do. There's a Chief Marketing Office.
Speaker 5: Chief Marketing Office, So what's the role of So that's a great question because so many people are cmos and right, so a CMO is actually the head leadership of the strategic rollout of the actual brand. So internally and externally, the CMO works with communications, for instance, to understand what is our mission and purpose of the company, and how are we executing that mission and purpose internally and externally. So how are we educating and informing our employees, our investors, our stakeholders, are all of those communications in line with what we say we stand for and what we say we believe in. And then to that end, we are responsible for generating x amount of revenue with consumer base, So how are we messaging to our target consumer in a way that speaks to our mission and our purpose and keeping all of keeping track of all of that constantly and making sure that's a well oiled machine for as little money as possible.
Speaker 6: That was gonna be my next thing. It was that there's a budget that you're given and so talk about that part like you're doing the most with sometimes less the least.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, you're making magic happen. So there's there's three types of impressions. There are owned impressions, which is earn your leisure. You guys own your impressions, right there are earned impressions, which is publicity pr or, as Puff would always say, guilt by association. And then there's paid impressions, and that's where you're spending money for media dollars. Right, So there's three ways of generating.
Speaker 2: Owned.
Speaker 5: Owned impressions are your own impressions, So however many followers you have on social media, however many followers you have on YouTube coming to earn your leisure to view, you know, view your content.
Speaker 7: Those are your impressions you own that organic reach, organic reach.
Speaker 4: And then what's the second one?
Speaker 2: Earned?
Speaker 7: What's earned media impressions.
Speaker 5: Are press are somebody writes an article, somebody writes an article, podcast going, you go on someone else's podcast, so I repost your content, or I invite you to participate in an event or part of co branded partnership, and then you generate impressions based on that, so you go on Good Morning America tomorrow. Those are all earned media impressions. And then one and the third ones are paid and that's all advertising. So that's sponsorship, that's media advertising, billboards, commercials, that's yes, above the line advertising. So print, out of home, radio and digital are the four out of home excuse me, above the line pay media, and then there's below the line paid media, so you could pay influencers, you could pay for pot product placement, you could pay for branded entertainment strategy. It's all sorts of below tolign things you could do to pay for awareness and connectivity.
Speaker 6: And you've seen that shift, right because as from when you started, print was a thing. Yes, not so much a thing anymore, right, More money needs to go into digital. How have you navigated that?
Speaker 5: You know, it's been it's been great because one of the things that we did early on at Blue Flame and why we were so successful but it wasn't uphill battle back then, is we were a below the line agency, so we hyper focused on influencer connectivity. We hyper focused on social media and digital media, which at the time people were buying Super Bowl commercials and then that was it. We're going to spend two million dollars on a Super Bowl commercial, Yeah, we did it. Whereas us, we wanted to actually take over Twitter and have you know, the best handles for our brands and connect at a very organic level, and people just weren't using those strategies back then. So we had tremendous success in disrupting disrupting in the category and in culture, and being an expert at that obviously fifteen years later is really interesting to see.
Speaker 4: So okay, let's talk about these different types of strategies. So, because I have like a unofficial doctorate degree in marketing, that's right, So I have theories on this, but I think that the organic way is probably like ten times more effective than paid marketing.
Speaker 7: Right, absolutely more expensive. I mean it's less expensive.
Speaker 4: It's expensive, and it's more effective as far as I was always taught, like you have to run, Like I don't know exact numbers, but let's say like five paid ads to convert one person with organic, it might just be two times somebody actually sees you and then they'll just start to follow you all those like that's what we've done. We've never paid for any marketing. It's all been through word of mouth. Yes, it moves a lot faster and it's a lot more trustworthy than just seeing constant ads. So, if you were advising a client, how.
Speaker 3: Would you.
Speaker 4: Advocate for them to grow their business effectively in today's world? With dividing those three different things that you just said, Like, what's the strategy for a small business or just any size business that's looking to grow their marketing campaign.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: So that's a really good question, and it's hard to kind of sum it up in a nutshell because I think it does depend on nuance because you're right, it is better, meaning the stickiness around your connection with your consumer is better organically. But if your goal is to create awareness, right, because there's awareness and then there's affinity. So awareness is people being familiar with your brand.
Speaker 6: Ernest what's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works, like the checkout is fast, or seats of digital tipping is a breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of.
Speaker 3: Our merch partners.
Speaker 6: Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments. It's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot Com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode has brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership.
Speaker 1: I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 3: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 5: If I say Earn your Leisure in Bangladesh, do they know where Earn your Leisure is?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: That's awareness, right, like they know who puff Daddy is in Bangladesh, right. But affinity means they watch the Earn Your Leisure podcast, They come to the you know, to the conferences, they know you by name and today that connectivity. So sometimes organic works best because you're trying to ultimately get to affinity. But if you are trying to quickly build awareness around your brand.
Speaker 7: Paid media can be effective.
Speaker 5: Case in point, people that have e commerce companies nowadays buy social media ads for conversion. Right they want to sell their product, they run ig ads. The more ads they run, the more eyeballs they see, the more people convert. And they can do that very quickly because they have a transactional commodity. They're selling makeup right or water, whereas you guys are building an intellectual property. So it's more important for you to build organic connection because people need to think to understand why you're valuable. They don't need to do they need to think. So it's a different there's a different modality there. So it really does depend on what your brand is trying to achieve. But the quick answer is you spend the biggest amount of your time on earned media.
Speaker 7: Earned media because people trust.
Speaker 5: Recommendation, so there's a trusted brand and earn your leisure and if Ian says go by Apple, which is what he always seems to say, you see, I watch your podcasts, market Mondays Ian says, go by Apple. People are gonna trust you, guys, and potentially at least go research Apple. Right, So there's an earned that's an earned media impression for Apple every single time.
Speaker 7: Ian says that you see the value.
Speaker 5: So if you go to earned first, you're gonna not only get the association with whatever brand value that thing has, You're gonna be introduced to expanded audiences. It's going to create all these other tentacles for your brand that will automatically get you owned media impressions. Those are gonna come because you convert people that way, and then you continue to connect with your own media community and once you start building up money, you make investment and paid and it becomes this nice ecosystem that works for your brand.
Speaker 4: So in marketing, they say cults become culture, meaning it's more efficient to just focus on a small group of people and have them be evangelist for you as opposed to just trying to spread yourself too things because eventually those small group of people will grow osmosis and will become culture. Right, It's like the Twelve Disciples, right, Like, eventually this becomes two billion Christians around the world. What's your thoughts on that, because that's something that a lot of people don't really do effectively either, Like they come out the gate and.
Speaker 7: Just try to just be all things to old people as.
Speaker 4: Opposed to really honing in and building a very small, tight knit community and then.
Speaker 7: Kind of just like that one percent.
Speaker 5: I am always about vertical versus horizontal strategy. So it's like zero in on who your core audience is and hyper hyper penetrate that audience, So get them in every place that they are passionate. So if your audience works nine to five, you probably should be targeting them from six to ten, you know what I mean. But if your audience is, if your audience as creative, if you have to figure out where those key touch points are for them and hyper focus on those areas because you want to get them when their mindset is in the thing that they are passionate about. So it's not necessarily just getting them, it's connecting with them in emotional moments that makes sense for them so that they remember you.
Speaker 6: When you talked about paid media and you said you go under the line. And I'm wondering, now, if you're doing that vertical method, how do you sell lack the influencers the media, because a lot of times we'll hear black media, right, But when we think of that, we'll stick and we'll stay in that familiarity. But we won't get that notoriety from other brands. So how did you or how do you navigate through that?
Speaker 5: It's again, it's nuanced because you have to prioritize what's most important to you first, right, Like, so if the segment of the population is I want eighteen to thirty four year olds first, right, there's a certain age group that you want to target.
Speaker 7: And then you might say.
Speaker 5: Well, out of the eighteen and thirty four, I think that our brand skews more male, right, which is a little unique now with gender fluidity. But you know, there's do you do you target male conversations versus women conversations? All of those things? And then once you figure that out, you start to say, is there a factor around race? Is there a factor around geo targeting?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: Do I target Brooklyn? Like you said, Brooklyn's your number one audience versus weho Los Angeles? Right, So you start to zero in on where your bullseye is and you spend the most of your time in that space. But you also look at the whole of that segment as well.
Speaker 7: Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: So you're not trying to get twenty five to fifty four year roles, You're trying to get as many eighteen to thirty four year roles as possible, and then within that you're carving out sub segments to figure out how to connect with them.
Speaker 7: And you do that based on a number of things.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J.
Speaker 2: Trump's leadership. I'm Christinoman, the.
Speaker 1: United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens.
Speaker 2: Have been arrested.
Speaker 1: If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported.
Speaker 2: You will never return.
Speaker 1: But if you register using our CBP home app, and leave now. You could be allowed to return legally.
Speaker 2: Do what's right. Leave now.
Speaker 1: Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,