Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. This is a Vaald episode. It is Saturday, after all. This is going to be the first of our two parter on hooves. Yes, this is going to be Hoo's Part one, which originally published six ' eight twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Enjoy Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joe McCormick, and today we are going to begin a look at the hoof, the animal hoof, specifically the horse hoof. Rob how did you get interested in this?
Speaker 1: Well, I was in New York last week with my family, went to the American Natural History Museum, and I was looking at fossils and bones, and I was captain by some of the some of the bones of the horse and started thinking about the hoof and just how strange the hoof is. Yet yet at the same time, we kind of take it for granted, because even if you are not a person who lives among horses and cares for horses, horses are everywhere in our imagery and our iconography and our entertainment. You can scarcely be a video game player at all without having mounted a horse or lost a horse, or accidentally driven a horse off a cliff or up a wall at some point. So I was really taken by this, Like I had not really in my life set aside any time to just consider the utter weirdness of the horse hoof.
Speaker 3: I almost feel like the weirdness of the horse hoof is embodied in the sound of the horse galloping and how different that is from the sound of the movement and most other animals you'd think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's like the drumming of fingers on a table, right, Like that's that's that's an attempting direction to go in anyway. Yeah, I feel like it's it's all too easy to take the hoof for granted, even in literature. You know, I was thinking, well, we can, we can kick off this episode with a nice little quote or a little reading from something that kind of captures, you know, our current level of fascination with the hoof, But I really wasn't able to find much. Now again, horses and hoofs are just throughout human literature. They're everywhere, and there are you know a lot of literary references to the to hooves and the sound of hooves. One poem in particular, in particular that I found that I ultimately didn't like well enough to feature in the Cold Open, but it's still notable, is The Hoofs of the Horses by William Henry Ogilvy, who lived eighteen sixty nine through nineteen sixty three. I don't know if you're familiar with this poem, Joe, but it's just all about how much you just absolutely love the cadence of horse hooves.
Speaker 3: No, I was not familiar with this poem before you did share it with me. It is it's an almost comical level of appreciation for horse hooves, an attitude very much of I'll stop thinking about the sound of horse hooves when I'm dead, or maybe I won't when I'm dead. I'll still dream of them even in the grave. It's also it goes with the F plural. I looked it up to see is there any difference hooves versus hoofs, and it seems like no, I both have been used in English. I think hoofs with the F plural is more archaic.
Speaker 1: Usually this is one of those poems that you know, sometimes I read a really good rhyming poem with great cadence. And you know, I'm like, why don't we rhyme our poems anymore? You know, all poems should rhyme. This is great. This is the opposite end of the spectrum for me. Like this one's just kind of goofy, Like it starts off the hoofs of the horses. Oh, witching and sweet is the music Earth steals from the ironshod feet, Yeah, et cetera. So it's not to my liking, but I can understand where someone else might love it as much as this man loved horse hoofs.
Speaker 3: Well, it also commits the ultimate sin of rhyming above with love. That's you can't you can't come back from that.
Speaker 1: But again, this is not the only account of hoofs or mention of hoofs in literature. Shakespeare writes of horses quote printing their proud hoofs in the Receiving Earth. Other quotes speak of the violence of the hoof, a thing that imprints the soil or even the flesh of those fallen in war. Here's a bit from the Jackery, a fragment by Sidney Lanier who lived eighteen forty two through eighteen eighty one, midst of the crowd, Old Grisgrion, the maimed, a wretched wreck that fate had floated out from the deer storm of battle at Potchi. A living man whose larger moiety was dead and buried on the battlefield, A grizzly trunk, without arms or legs and scarred with hoof cuts of or cheek and brow lay in his wicker cradle, smiling. And then later on in the same scene, the protagonist comments that quote, there is no face of man or woman here, but showeth print of the hard hoof of war.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's fair. As much as we can admire hoofs from afar, I don't think you want to come into contact with one by way of force.
Speaker 1: No, no, absolutely you didn't absolutely do not want to be kicked by a horse on one level, just for sheer strength and power of said kick or or the weight of said step. But also yeah, the hoof as well, explain is it's not an instrument you want make in contact with your body with force or speed. Now, there, of course many references to the hoof and the works of Cormick McCarthy, The none that I could remember or search up that really goes in deep on the weirdness and wonder of the horse hoof. Still, here's a favorite from Blood Meridian quote under the hoof of the horses, the alabaster sand shaped itself in whorls, strangely symmetric, like iron filings in a field. And these shapes flared and drew back again, resonating upon that harmonic ground, and then turning to swirl away over the plaia, as if the very sediment of things contained yet some residue of scentience, as if in the transit of those riders were a thing so profoundly terrible as to register even to the uttermost granulation of reality. Wow. Yeah, so great line. But also, you know, Cormack doesn't result doesn't really go in hard on just how weird it is that horses are strange mammals running around on highly evolved like finger bones, Like there's a there's a weirdness to the hoof that you know that he doesn't he even doesn't get into because it's just such a part of, say, the tapestry of the American West. You know, in the case of his Westerns, it's also possible that I'm forgetting some some key line and another of his book, maybe the you know, the All the Pretty Horses or one of its sequels. But nothing, nothing came to mind or in search when I was thinking about it just the other day.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe here is an amazing place to start if you want to consider the more granular anatomy of the horse's foot and the hoof. So look look at your hands there, you know, you get human hands and extend the middle fingers on both of your hands. Obviously not if you're.
Speaker 1: In prospectible thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, in you know, discreetly extend those two middle fingers. These are the analogous bone structures that evolved in the horse to become the part of the horse's body that makes contact with the ground. So when horses gallop, they are galloping on adapted versions of your middle fingers. So you just imagine run out that middle, your two middle fingers in front, your two middle toes in the back. Those got really thick, really strong. Everything else kind of shrank back and receded in a way. We can talk later on about whether it makes sense to say that the horse still has those other fingers in some way or not. But basically that the part of the leg that is making contact with the ground and supporting the weight of the horse is the middle finger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is just absolutely bonkers when you stop and think about.
Speaker 3: It, it is. And the genus to which horses belong is unique in this regard among the ungulates. So all of the four legged vertebrates on earth that live on land share a common ancestor that had five toes on each foot had four legs and five toes on each foot. That's our heritage, and we walk around on two legs now. But we are still we're still part of that evolutionary lineage. We still have five fingers on our hands and five toes on our feet to show for it. But some of our cousins in this lige have undergone more radical transformations in the bone structure of these distal regions of the limbs, the ends of each limb. Hippopotamuses, for example, have four toes. Rhinoceroses and tapers have three toes. Camels, deer, sheep, goats, and cattle have two toes. But there is only one group of animals existing today that has evolved to have a single toe that contacts the ground on each foot. And that is horses, or more precisely, the evolutionary group to which modern horses belong, which is the genus equus, which includes horses, zebras, and donkeys. And the scientific term for having only one toe is monodactyly. So these monodactyls are out there running around on their middle fingers. That when you hear hoof beats, that's what you're hearing, the middle fingers.
Speaker 1: And you know, again, this is super weird and glorious, But at the same time, it would be a mistake to think of this as a kind of simplification, you know, because the horse hoof we'll be discussing here is anything, but it's a complex structure composed of hard cornified structures, living tissues, tendons, ligaments, and more. You know, they are the various bones we're going to be discussing. We should, you know, also not make the mistake of overestimating the strength of the hoof, because yes, it's a highly evolved anatomical feature that serves a horse very well in its natural environment, but they are still susceptible to injury and illness, and you know, the ravages of aging plus domestication by humans has of course augmented the horse's natural environment and also changed the sort of regular wear and tear that they might endure on set hoofs. So to just doing what I'm gonna do is going to provide kind of an overview of the different parts of the main outer and inner parts of the horse hoof of the foot of the horse. Not in a way that will just completely bombard the listener with horse terminology, but hopefully get across some of the complexity here. And if you are a horse person, and I don't know, maybe you're listening to this podcast whilst you attend to the hoofs of a horse, well you might have some added information to write into us about. If you're not a horse person, then I think you might find some of the terminology kind of surprising, I know, not being a horse person myself. There. I remember the first time I read Cornick McCarthy's Blood Meridian, there was there was a bit that really threw me for a curve. It goes as follows. Quote he got down and drew up the horse's leg. The frog of the hoof was split and bloody, and the animal's shoulder quivered. He let the hoof down the sun was about two hours high, and now there was dust on the horizon.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good. The frog of the hoof.
Speaker 1: Yep, the frog of the hoof. So the frog is a is a key part of the outer anatomy of the horse's foot. This is a wedge shaped mass on the bottom of the horse's foot that you know, I suppose kind of looks like a dark frog. According to Robert C. McClure at all in a paper titled Functional Anatomy of the horse Foot. This was for the University of Missouri, the frog is one of the flexible parts of the hoof's external structures. It normally makes contact with the ground first and then it kind of like pushes into the digital cushion, an internal mass of flexible material above the frog that contributes to the formation of the heels and serves as one of the primary shock absorbers in the horse's foot.
Speaker 3: This is an interesting balance to observe with the hoof here in that it has a so the outer mass of the hoof that you will have observed before, you know, the hard part is a hard carat in structure, and yet the hoof also has to remain somewhat springy and flexible. You don't want it to be like a piece of concrete that might be really hard but insufficient impact, is rigid and cracks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, again, it would be a gross simplification to think of a horse as just running around on like wooden stilt legs, you know, like that. Its hooves are just like solid things. It's a lot more complicated than that. Now you might be wondering, well, why do they call it a frog? You may be looking it up to see just how much like a frog it, you know, to what degree it resembles a frog. I've seen it sort of described a couple of different ways that either it does roughly look like a frog, and that perhaps there's this added level of well, you find it under the hoof in the same way a frog might be found under a rock or leaf. I don't know. Maybe I've also heard that it really more accurately resembles the pelvic bone of a frog, which apparently was carried for good luck by horsemen. And this also might be tied to traditions of the horseshoe, which we're not going to really discuss in this episode, but we may get to in a subsequent episode these of horseshoes as lucky charms as well.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Okay, I just looked up the pelvic bone of a frog. It kind of looks like the wishbone on a chicken.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And I'm looking at the frog of a hoof Now it's sort of V shaped. I mean, you have to stretch your mind a little bit, but I could see that.
Speaker 1: Now the frog is apparently made up of the same material as the hoof wall. More on what do we mean by hoofwall in the second, But you can think of like the outer hoof as you see it, but it's more moist a certainly if it's healthy, apparently something like fifty percent moisture or thereabouts. Now, And that's not to say that the hoof wall itself is dry. In fact, the hoof wall or the proper hoof that you see if you're just looking at a picture of a horse, it's in fact covered with material that prevents moisture loss. And with domestic horses, hoof paint is sometimes added as well to help contain moisture. So again, even the hardest part of the of the horses hoof cannot be really thought of as just this you know, like you rock, you know, hard substance like it's in these These are you know, organic structures, and there is moisture to.
Speaker 3: Them, and with the keratin basis, I think you could probably think about it more akin to like a like a horn or like a thick fingernail exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, the frog, interestingly enough, is also a scent gland, along with the chestnut of the leg and the airgut of the fetlock. This is one of the reasons that dogs can tract horses as well as they can. Plus is apparently one of the ways that horses sniff out each other in the field. I had no idea, Yeah, there's a hole, there's a whole just un right underneath the horse's hoof. There's a whole wonderland of weirdness. Well, this is funny because we were just talking about beavers, which apparently, you know, their scent glands and scent markings play a big role in their their behavior and how they interact with the environment. So, but I had no idea that was true of horses. Yeah. Now, as we'll discuss in a bit, horse hoofs, the hard part of the hoof grows throughout their life and has to either be worn down or trim down. This is where professional farriers come into play with domestic horses, and not only do they have to trim the hoof proper, but they also have to trim the frog as it keeps growing as well, and if not maintained, you can lead to some infections conditions like thrush and so forth. I'm also told by horse and dog people in my family that dogs absolutely love it when their friendly neighborhood ferrier gives them some hoof or some frog shavings to eat. Joe, has this ever been your experience?
Speaker 3: No, I never had a dog get this particular treat, but I can imagine it's in the ballpark.
Speaker 1: All right. So moving outward from the frog, it pushes against the digital cushion, and when the foot is on the ground, the increase in pressure and change and shape in the digital cushion and the frog. It kind of works everything like a pump forcing blood from the foot into the leg. And McLure stresses that quote exercise increases the blood circulation in the foot and favors good hoof growth. Lack of exercise dryness of the horny wall and poor nutrition inhibit hoof growth. All right, So let's get to that hoof wall. The hoof wall is exactly what it sounds like. It's that tough, horny outside part of the hoof that's essentially a fingernail. I mean, if we're comparing it to what we've got going on, it contains no blood, vessels or nerves, and it grows continuously, so it has to be worn or trimmed off. And to be specific, the hoof wall grows out of the cornet located at the junction of the skin and the hoof wall. So if you're just looking at a picture of a horse's foot, like this is where hoof ends, and like you know, the hairy part of the leg begins now along with the frog and the bar, which is part of the wall aka bars of the wall bordering the frog. It's a key weight bearing part of the hoof. The wall is made up of the toe in the front, quarters on the sides, and the heel. Now the interior of the hoof inside the hoof wall. You can almost think of it as kind of like this little kind of U shaped walled city is the sole separated from the wall by the white line or the golden line where the inner wall and the sole joined together. The sole does not make contact with the ground and it primarily protects the inner structures beneath it. So these are all, you know, things with the exception of the of the digital cushion that we reference like, these are all things that you would see if you were a if you were just attending to a horse's foot, if you you know, we're checking out a horseshoe or what have you. Now, again, the hoof of a complex structure, and I'm not going to attempt to cover every detail of it. Instead, hopefully we can cover the key parts of the intern out or hoof here and provide like a decent audio snapshot of what it consists of. And I realize, even with all the terminology we're going through, it still might make sense to look up a diagram to see exactly what we're talking about. Now. Internally, it's of course essential to cover the phalanxes and valanges, essentially the finger bones that make up the hoof, and the first of these to cover really is the famous coffin bone, which is also known as the petal bone or the distal phalanx or P three. It's contained in the hoof capsule and provides its shape. It contains no bone marrow, but it has a lot of blood vessels. And the name apparently has to do with the fact that it's entirely seated within the hoof wall, in the interior of the hoof, as if it were positioned within a coffin. It does not look like a coffin per se.
Speaker 3: The fact that it seems to be positioned within a coffin, shouldn't that make it the corpse bone rather than the coffin bone or the cadaver bone.
Speaker 1: You would think, You would think, I don't know. I couldn't run down any additional information on where this comes from other than just like you know, the built up lingo of horse people over time. So if we have horse people out there listening to the show that have more insight on this, certainly right end.
Speaker 3: Oh, please be gentle.
Speaker 1: Whether you're used to working with horses, of course they're gonna they're gonna be gentle. Okay. Now, more broadly, the pedal bone is the bottomost bone in the front and rear legs of horses, cattle, pigs, and other ruminants. Then there's the navicular bone, so named because it's shaped like a boat, and looking at images of it, at least from the horse, I thought it also reminds me a bit of a whale's tail as well. But I'm to understand it's named this because it looks kind of like a boat. It's also known as the distal sesamoid bone. Most mammals have a navicular bone in their feet. Then there's also the short pastern bone or middle phalanx. Its positioned to top the articulating joint of the pedal bone, with only the bottom portion extending to the hoof capsule, essentially a fingerbone. So I don't know to what extent all of that accurately conveyed the complexity and the beauty of a horse's hoof, of a horse's foot, but I guess, if anything, it should remind you like the horse hoof, easy to draw, but far more complicated than you might think.
Speaker 3: Well, another way to look at it is like if you look up a diagram of the bones in the horse's hoof, it's not just like a straight bone down to the ground ending in a nail. There are actually a lot of bones, little bones crammed up in there, kind of in the same way that you would see a lot of little bones making up the human hand, except in the case of a horse, it has been streamlined into one more continuous vertical structure or column, with the different bones kind of supporting each other in that column as opposed to in the hand the way these bones are kind of fanned out. Yes, Now, Rob, before we got recording today, you sent me a picture of a famous horse from I was gonna say history, but maybe better to say legend. The meeting point of legend and history. That really revealed something to me, and it's that there are certain features that are often quite surprising to discover, are really unsettling to find on an animal. One example is if you see human teeth on a non human animal, like a cat with human teeth, somebody photoshops that together. It's horrifying. You don't want to see it, and it's kind of surprising how horrifying it is. And I discovered a new one today when you shared this picture with me, and it is a horse with human feet. Don't like it. Something's unpleasant about that. It's not a good vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is an engraving from sixteen eighty seven, attributed to P. Trocial. You can look this image up. I'll have to share it on some of our socials or something, because it's terrific and also a little bit horrifying because the fore feet of the horse are human feet or something close to human feet, with clearly visible multiple toes, like five human toes per foot. It does not make sense to look at This does not seem like a good variation on the equine form. You know, it's not like, oh, like a centaur where you can be like, well, it's like a horse and a rider as one. You know, you can run around, it can shoot arrows, that's great. Like, No, this is a situation where you're immediately thinking, shouldn't those front feet and they have shoes on or something? How is this force going to gallop? All sorts of questions and problems emerge.
Speaker 3: You're exactly right now, this is a cat with human teeth. It doesn't look like it should work, and it doesn't look nice. However, I will say other things about this horse, and I guess in a minute we'll have to reveal what historical horse this is supposed to be. But first just allow me to describe this is a hair metal horse. It has a tail and a main that are luxurious, glorious, voluminous hair just waving in the wind. You can imagine this horse really getting down on a guitar solo, playing with striper or something. And then also this horse has it appears to me, forward facing eyes horses. I don't know, it doesn't quite get the horse face right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the artist was already having to draw those feet on this horse, so I think we can forgive them if they maybe didn't put a maximum amount of effort into the face.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm not holding a grudge against p Trocil here, but forward facing eyes implies that this horse is a predatory carnivore, which makes me think it is one of the Diamedean mirrors or you know, the flesh eating mirrors of ancient legend.
Speaker 1: It made me think too, of the horse that Ucla the Mock rides in Thunder of the Barbarian. If anyone remembers that old one Hanna Barbara cartoon.
Speaker 3: I had to look that up. When you said it, I wasn't familiar. But that's like it's kind of a dinosaur insectoid, kind of horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a monster horse, you see, and especially sort of like some old timey sci fi and fantasy.
Speaker 3: But okay, what's the deal with this horse? Who is this horse with human feet in the front.
Speaker 1: This is none other than Julius Caesar's horse, sometimes referenced by the name as Turkus or Astracus, But the horse's actual name, whatever it might have been, seems to have mostly been lost to history. I don't know that it has a definite name. It's very much in the vein in the tradition of say, Alexander the Great's horse Bucephalus. That one's, you know, a more famous horse that also ties back in a bit. This also tends to be part of the general tradition in the Greco Roman culture of having like a great leader riding a great steed into battle that only they can mount, that is much loved, that will of course eventually die and will be remembered and so forth. But also there's this idea of a something strange about a horse. There's some sort of a physical portent of future success or in some cases dire omens tied up in the strange anatomy of certain creatures, especially the horse. But anyway, So where does this come from, this idea that there's this horse by, according to various sources, that had human feet in the front, or it had some sort of toes in the front. I had a time sort of trying to find any actual source on this, but a lot of it comes back to what the Roman imperial historian Sutanius had to say about it. This particular historian lived sixty nine through one twenty two CE. Here's what he wrote. Quote, he rode a very remarkable horse, with feet almost like those of a man, the hoofs being divided in such a manner as to have some resemblance to toes. This horse he had bred himself, and the soothsayers, having interpreted these circumstances into an omen that its owner would be master of the world. He brought him up with particular care and broke him in himself, as the horse would suffer no one else to mount him. A statue of the horse was afterwards erected by Caesar's order before the temple of Venus Genetrix.
Speaker 3: Ah that would be the temple of the Venus of motherhood, the Venus of the as the founder of the family. I wonder what that would have to do with the horse.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe it has to do with with like the rearing and the breaking of the horse, that he's kind of like the mother of the horse. Maybe it means a female horse, And I'm not sure exactly why that particular temple interesting. So anyway, some illustrations, as much like the one we've discussed already, depict this as just a straight up monster horse with human feet in the front, which I love. But a more reasonable interpretation is that this was a polydactyl horse, much in the same way that you will occasionally find you you'll find, say, like a polydactyl cat, or of course polydactyl digits in human beings as well. I found an eighteen seventy nine paper on the general topic of polydactyl horses by o'thaniel Charles Marsh titled Polydactyl Horse's Recent and Extinct. He writes, quote, numerous cases of extra digits in the horse have been recorded, and in nearly all of them, a single lateral hooflet was present on one of the four legs. In most instances, the occurrence was noted chiefly on account of its rarity and no record was made of the exact position of the extra hoofs with reference to the main digit, nor the significance of these useless appendages.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So the idea here would be that if there is anything to the story that Swetonius tells about Caesar's horse, it might be just that the horse did actually have extra toes, not that it had feet that looked like a human's feet, but that it was a case of polydactylely in this horse exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that seems to be like the more likely interpretation. It's also worth noting, I believe Marsh mentions this as well, that some accounts may have indicated that Alexander the Great horse Bucephalus was also polydactyl, in which case, if that was a you know, that was an idea already present that would of course inform either the selection or interpretation of a polydactyl horse for another great general. So you know, we have to take that into account as well. And again this general idea that if there's something strange going on with a with an organism, there might be something about it that is that is a beneficial importent for the receiving individual. I believe we touched on one of these stories regarding if not Caesar, another Roman emperor in pre in episodes over the last couple of years, and I don't think believe it was a horse. It was some other animal that was brought before the general and said, hey, look at this weird creature and there everyone was like, this is great. This means this means the campaign is going well.
Speaker 3: Okay, folks, we just had to take a second to dig this up because it was too good of a memory. No, this was something from our goats episode, right that we did last October.
Speaker 1: That's right, right, Yeah, this concerned a goat creature that was brought to Sola, and it was I think the main interpretation was like, yeah, this is great, this is a this is an omen this means that we're going to be successful in the campaign.
Speaker 3: It was like somebody found a half man, half goat in a cave somewhere and then they're like, hey, look at this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it made horrible sounds, et cetera. So go back and listen to that episode if you want the full story on that, and just goats in general. The cloven hoof as opposed to the horse.
Speaker 4: Hoof, that feeling when you find a goat man in a cave, and you know everything's going to be all right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, back to Marsh here, Marsh noted that and I didn't look for other sources on this, but it kind of casually. He mentions that the indigenous peoples of the Americas were said to have described the horse when the Spanish arrived as the beast with one fingernail, which of course is rather correct as as we've been discussing. And then Marsh goes on to point out that there are two slender splint bones within the hoof, the remnants of two other toes belonging to the ancestors of the modern horse. Now, Marsh points out a few other key facts that I think are worth mentioning here. The fore, feet are the most affected when you look at a eltse in the records of polydactyl horses, it's almost always the four feet, and of course this would match up with the story of Caesar's horse. Also, the additional hooves or if you want to call them, toes, seem to generally amount to one or two, so you're maybe looking at three toes maximum on a four on a front hoof, though it's not necessarily an equal amount on both four feet, so like one there's a for instance, there's an account that he points to where an animal had two hooves on one and three on the other, so one extra on one four foot and two extra on the other four foot. Some of the horses, and this is English. This is not getting into you know, in any translations here, but in English, some of these were described as having eight hooves or the like, thus counting all of the hoofs on the animal. So this is just me. But I can imagine first of all, a three toed four foot reminding one of a human foot, looking at it and being like, oh, it's kind of like toes. Look there are three of them. I can likewise imagine some manner of telephone game deviation occurring when describing a horse and saying, oh, it had it had five toes. Well, what do you mean by that? Do you mean that it just has a single extra hooflet on one of its fore feet. That would be a reasonable case, I think, based on what I've been reading here. Or are you going to interpret that as oh, well, that means it has five hoofs or five toes to a foot something that is too extreme based on what I've been looking at.
Speaker 3: I see what you mean. But like the statement about having total across the animal could be interpreted as on one one leg.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's so that's anyway, that's that's me thinking about it. Marsh wasn't didn't discuss that idea, but it just has me wondering if that's the sort of thing that could be going on here as well. Now, there are plenty of recent accounts of polydactyl horse hoofs and photos. Of course, you can do an image search and you can find images of horses that have additional hoofs or hooflits or toes or whatever you want to call them. Most accounts I came across of in terms of like veterinary literature, dealt with congenital abnormalities that were at least in some cases surgically corrected. So yeah, this is I guess in the horse world. These are rare enough to be notable, but certainly not so rare that they're unknown, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility. It seems that yes, Caesar may have had a polydactyl horse, acquired a polydactyl horse or it's also equally likely that this is just all you know, legend building in order to build up the case that hey, Caesar is a lot like that guy Alexander the Great. Both of them rode around undeformed horses. Both of them were destined for greatness.
Speaker 3: Now, you mentioned a minute ago when you were citing the paleontologist Othneil Charles Marsh that he had written that horses have these little splint bones within the hoof, which he attributed to being remnants of other toes that used to belong to the ancestors of horses today. And it turns out that's actually onto something. Because I was reading some stuff about the evolution of the horse hoof. This is an interesting and broad topic that's going to have to span into the next part in the series, but just to introduce a bit of it here, I was looking at an article in The New York Times called How Horses Got their hoofs by steph Ynn, published August twenty eighth, twenty seventeen. Now, this article is mainly responding to a journal article that was published in Proceedings of the Royal Society b Biological Sciences in twenty seventeen by authors Brianna K. Mchorse Good Research Focus There, Andrew A. Bee Winner, and Stephanie E. Pierce, and the paper is called Mechanics of Evolutionary digit Reduction in Fossil Horses meaning the Biological family Equity. Now, what this journal article did is it added some evidence to comment on the long held hypothetical story of horse hoof evolution, which is based somewhat on fossil evidence and inferences from other sources. But basically the story that experts have long believed goes something like this, that the earliest horses were small, much smaller than horses today. They were sort of dog sized animals that lived in forested areas, and they had multiple toes per foot. So you have to imagine like small, little, you know, doggy horses that had at least three toes per foot I think maybe four toes on their front legs and three toes on their back legs. And then came some climate change about twenty million years ago. Some of these horses were living in previously forested habitats that changed into grasslands and plains. The disappearance of forest and the transition to grassland environments put different adaptive pressures on these herbivorous four legged animals. And you might imagine there could be a lot of different pressures there. But one example would be if you're not in a forest, if you're in a grassland instead, it is a lot easier for predators to see you. It's harder to hide, and so this could drive the evolution of larger bodies as a defensive adaptation. You need to make it easier to defend yourself. And it could also lead to selection for speed in order to be able to evade predators, and so the story goes. For some reason, this shift to becoming an animal that needed to be both big and fast caused the selection of the single toe for the contact point with the ground, as opposed to the previous version of this animal, which had had multiple toes per foot. Now, the authors of the study investigated this hypothetical evolutionary trajectory by analyzing leg fossils from twelve different times types of horses over evolutionary time, going back as far as fifty five million years ago all the way up to modern horses. And the researchers had previously investigated the different types of physical stress put on horse legs by various types of normal behaviors like trotting around, jumping, or speeding up into a run. And using this information about the physical stresses on horse legs, they created a model of how these activities would put stress on the legs of the horse and then tested that model against different forms of the horse's foot with different numbers of toes. And what they found was that when horses were smaller and also had multiple toes contacting the ground, the extra digits were actually important for carrying the weight of the body. Body weight was distributed across multiple toes, but as horses got bigger, the toes on the sides began to shrink and essentially disappeared as distinct digits, leaving only the single middle toe. Again, the middle hit in the ground as the single mighty hoof. This is the lone contact point with the earth now, so it seems pretty clear that this is the trajectory that happened over the evolutionary history of horses or horses, zebras and donkeys. But why did the side toes disappear? This study in particular does not answer that definitively, but in the New York Times article they interviewed the lead author, BREONN and Mchorse, and she suggested that maybe it's that having just a single toe made it easier for the horses to move their feet more quickly, using the comparison of like trying to run with ankle weights on or I think of the experience of trying to run in heavy boots, which I've done. It's very difficult to do. You know, running shoes tend to be very lightweight.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: And one thing this does highlight is the kind of paradox of the behavior, the graceful behavior of the horse. It is like range to observe how graceful and quick horses are given their size. Though I would like to point out that while horses are sort of a peak example of this, I'm often struck by the shocking speed and grace of even much more modest displays by animals like bovines. Like have you ever seen a cow just suddenly jump over a fence and it didn't look at all like that was something that could happen until you saw it. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean especially with cattle, because a lot of times they do appear to be not moving a lot, but when they do move it can be kind of shocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cows can look like four footed barges, like they should not be able to move at anything other than kind of a shuffle. But then suddenly you see them leap over a fence or something like that. And now, of course, cows, as a reminder, are not single toed ungulates like horses. Cows have two toes per foot, and they got the hoofs on the two toes. But yeah, so you multiply that to an even greater extent with horses. When you actually see them up close and see how big the animal is and then how fast and gracefully it moves, something seems like wrong. It's like how is it doing this? And it's quite It seems quite likely that the single toad point of contact with the ground is part of that equation that is how the horse is possible.
Speaker 1: You know, I think this might touch on another reason that in literature and culture in general, there's less focus on how weird the hoof is and more just on like the majesty of the horse. Because yeah, watching like the sum total of all of this, watching a horse run, it's enthralling, Like it's it's hard to imagine, like riding along in a car and someone like saying, hey, look, look over there, those horses in that field are running and being like, ah, I'm good, I don't need to see that. No, of course you want to see that. There's just something about it. I don't know, you know, how much of it is just the the majesty of the creature itself. How much of it is it's like the historical and cultural weight of horses. But you know, it's like they fascinated us. They've always fascinated us, you know, since time out of mind, since you know, before our ability to even scrawl them roughly on a cavern wall.
Speaker 3: I'm not even one of those horse people, you know. They're like horse people and then non horse people. I'm a non horse person. But when I let myself be amazed, they are amazing. I guess this is what it's like, twenty four to seven to be a horse person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, and again, I'm not like if you asked me, hey, do you want to ride a horse this afternoon? I would probably say no, thank I'm good. I did it once. I'm fine. It's not my thing. But again, if you were to point out the window and say, hey, there's some horses running. Would you like to slow the car down and take a look at this, I would say yes, please, let's watch, because watching horses that's more my speed.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I think we're going to have to cap part one of this series there, but we will be back to talk about the hoofs some more. I know, we have plenty more questions and idea is to get into about the evolution of horse hoofs. And also we want to talk about the invention of the horseshoe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because that is a key invention in the human relationship with the horse. And also I think understanding the horseshoe helps us understand the hoof a little bit more as well. In the meantime, if you have anything you'd like to ride in and share with us about the horse's or their relatives, anything in general about hoofs or horse like steeds in fantasy and science fiction, everything's fair game. We'll share that email address in just a minute. But in the meantime, you can also check out other episodes of Stuff to Blur Your Mind and Stuff to Blur your Mind podcast feed wherever you get your podcast core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, listener mail on Mondays. On Wednesdays we do a short form artifact or monster fact episode, and on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird movie on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks to our excellent audio producer, JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.