Speaker 1: This is Lee Habib and this is our American Stories, the show where America is the star and the American people. And we love our listeners stories. Send them to our American Stories dot com. That's our American stories dot com. There's some of our favorite Our next story was made into a twenty fourteen motion picture directed by Angelina Jolie, based on the twenty ten non fiction book by Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken, a World War II story of survival, resilience, and redemption. While some of the most remarkable parts of Zamparini's story were left out of the film, you will be hearing them told now by the man himself. We'd like to thank the folks at Vision Video for giving us access to the footage you're about to hear. Checked out their selection of nineteen hundred video titles of uplifting, family friendly videos at Vision video dot com. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 2: My name is Louis Zamparini. I was born January twenty sixth, nineteen seventeen in Oley and New York and moved to California for my health. I had pneumonia and so ever since I was two years old, I lived in tornch California is a south of LA about twenty miles and I'm afraid I was in constant conflict with the Tornch police. I was a rascal, and I think it all started with the I couldn't speak English and the other kids were teasing me. They wanted to hear me swear in Italian. You know, these were your bullies they call them today. And so my dad got me some weights, a punching bag, and I started getting in shape. And so then after a few months, I started fighting back. When I started fighting back, they stopped teasing me. But time I continued with my errant ways, and I had been dissipating. I started smoking when I was five, and during that time it was probition. But everybody made beer, wine and other things, and we knew who made it, and when they're at the movies on Saturday night, we would hijack the stuff. And even if they knew we took it, they couldn't turn a sent to the police, so they'd go to jail. So that was my life as a teenager until my brother got me on the track what they call an inner class track meet, and the pains of exhaustion, that's the worst and that was it, no more running. So a week later, we're having our first duel meet with Narbon Narbonn High School and everybody assisted. I represent the school in this race, the same six hundred and sixty yard run, and they finally talked me into it. The first two runners from Narbon had finished and their third mamazon headed me about fifty years ago. I wasn't about the ash, you know, until the students, a thousand students from my high school started screaming, come on, Louie. Well those were beautiful words to me because I had no idea that.
Speaker 3: Anyone at all knew my name.
Speaker 2: Here a thousand students of Hallering, come on, Louie, And that tasted pretty good, and I just got up.
Speaker 3: A little adrenaline.
Speaker 2: I suppose I finally nipped this guy at the tape about six INSS and came in third. So after that I thought about that recognition. That was important to me, and I think it's important to all athletes. The thing that inspires you and creates the desire to go ahead and become a chapain is a recognition. And so that night I had to make a decision, and that was no doubt. The first wise decision of my life. I decided to go all out to become a runner. Considering my life, you think that was an impossibility. My family thought it was an impossibility, my brother thought. But I made up my mind and I became a dramatic trainer. No more dessert. I ran everywhere, no hitch hiking, rdnd on back four miles or most of them back. I run like cloelve miles on a Saturday. I hit the mountains, run around the lakes, jump on, and I got so I liked it. I was not getting tired anymore and fatigued, and I enjoyed mainly not running around the track, with running in the wilderness and jumping over streams. I can remember on a number of occasions chasing deer down.
Speaker 3: The hill just for the part of it. And so all that running and in no days.
Speaker 2: There were no stopwatches around, so I had no idea how fast I was running, didn't even care. I just started enjoying running. And finally, at the end of the summer, the first running race was a far West a at U cross country at use c La, two miles, about one hundred and one runners. When the race was over, I won by a quarter a mile or over a quarter and I couldn't believe it. I said, no, I'm sure I had a corner. I wouldn't take credit for winning. And the official said, no, all the challenges are in. You passed every checkpoint. And they said, by the way, you WoT all three records, Class A, Class B, and Class C, and you ran the two miles in nine fifty seven, which was comparable to college running.
Speaker 3: And I was sophomore in high school. So that did it.
Speaker 2: I knew that hard work was the answer, and from then on I never lost a race for three and a half years. The best, the second best five thousand meter runner in America was coming to California to run, to draw a big crowd and so forth, and my brother said, I want you to train.
Speaker 3: You got two weeks.
Speaker 2: I want to should have run against this guy now we had no hopes of the Olympics. Just run against him to see how close you can get to a fellow who's going to make the Olympic team. And that would have been a victory in itself. And I got. I caught him at the table about two inches, So I knew that I could beat the second best runner in America and this gave me the part ability of making the team.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about the team at that time until the next day when I got a call from the newspaper that the Olympic Committee had called Taunch to tell them that I qualified for the Olympic tryouts at Ramlers Island, New York. And again it wasn't important to win. I made the team and the trill and I'm on this ship now with all these great athletes and they were all my heroes. And I'm going around meeting all the athletes and go off the ship at Hamburg and off to Berlin. And then they took us into the most beautiful Olympic village ever made, and it was gorgeous, Spinstein animals running loose lakes, stormtroopers walking through and we'd give them the Hile hitter salute with a big laugh on our face, and they knew we were kidding. They'd salute back. If we said highlight up, they stay Hile Hitler, or vice versa. And so they were a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: And you're listening to the voice of the one and only Louis Zamparini raised in Torrance, California, as he said, a self proclaimed rascal in his youth. But hearing those words come on, Louis get chanted by students. That recognition. While that was all the fuel he needed, it lit a fire in this young man, and he said it was the first wise decision in my life of a coomer runner. When we come back more of this remarkable life story, Louis Zamporini's story here on Our American Stories, lie h Habib here, and I'd like to encourage you to subscribe to Our American Stories on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, or wherever you get our podcasts. Any story you missed or want to hear again can be found there daily again. Please subscribe to the Our American Stories podcast on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, or anywhere you get your podcasts. It helps us keep these great American stories coming. And we're back with our American Stories. Let's return to Louis Zamparini and where he left off with his arrival to Berlin, Germany to compete as a nineteen year old distance runner in the nineteen thirty six Summer Olympics also known as the Nazi Olympics.
Speaker 2: So I got in the semi finals, and fortunately I made the final. And the last lap comes and I'm fifty yards behind the leaders. Something my brother had taught me when I was I used to complain about the third lap of the mile being tired, and he said, all full of the other runners. They're all human beings, they're all tired. But think of it this way. You got a lap to go about one minute here isn't one None of the pain worth a lifetime of glory. And I never forgot that. And so I opened up the last lap and I caught the leaders coming down the homestree. So I did come in with the leaders then doing so, the coach said, you just ran your last quarter in fifty six seconds, which was considered impossible for a distance runner. And uh, that evidently cast the attention of Adolf Hitler. He was there every day. And I go back to my box after my shower, and off she comes over and says, Hitler wants to meet you. First, he asked her my name. I said I didn't wear anything. You know, he was taking hands of the gold medal. He said, well he wants to meet you. Went over tonge and hears reached down shook my hand and simply said the boy with ah he said, oh yeah, the boy with the fast finished and that with it, so met The fur didn't mean anything. But my opinion of him was the same opinion that Martin Luckman had and all the others. You look like a comedian and the way he acted, stopping his peak, pounding his legs, and face a mustache and all that.
Speaker 3: Uh so that was my opinion of him.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Well, the Games are over and we collected souvenirs all the Olympians did remind them of their Olympic trip. And now I'm back home entering USC as a freshman, and now nineteen forty Tokyo Olympics. We're all aiming for that, and suddenly we get the announcement headlines of papers the Olympics are canceled. Well, it was quite a blow, you know, adults. Billy couldn't understand it. For a kid who's been aiming for four years for one race and you're going to hit your peak of your life at that particular year, that was hard to take.
Speaker 3: Until Pearl Harbor was hit.
Speaker 2: And of course we forgot all about being athletes, and like all other Americans who are one mind of one accord one purpose, get in the war, quickly, get it over with as soon as possible. However, I did run in Hawaii to keep in shape. And even though General Arnold in charge of the Air Force through a friend, he was a friend of mine indirectly, but they wouldn't allow me to go back. Because our bomb group was a special bomb group and experimental. We were the first to use the heaviest bombing of the war for dive bombing. So we had a lot of missions up and down the Marshall and Gilberts bombing Macon and Tarawa and Woji and all those islands, you know. Now, we had a few local search missions looking for submarines, and then we came back and after a mission, you get a couple of days off and we're heading for the main gate on the way to Honolu ruined and the operations officers comes skidding up in the jeep and says, we just got a report of Beach twenty five is gone down two hundred miles north of Palmyra. Now the cloud cover broken, Sauser at one thousand feet that's our search mission height and swinging here on here, and they're looking for debris and the water rife, brath anything we could find. And suddenly the RPMs dropped on one motor, oil pressure to zil and the immediately called the new engineer, and he was so excited to do his job. He came up and nervously feathered the wrong motor. All this plane could not fly normally on four motors. He couldn't get off the ground of the bomb loaded was the green hornet was a lemon, and with one motor out, the plane was having trouble. And now when he feathered the wrong motor, the plane just healed over and went down left wing first forty five degrees at the water and exploded. The pilot and tail gunner were fortunately blown free at the wreckage. And then the tail snapped off the control wires, which are heavy wires that are springing. So when the wires make they coiled up and they so when they snapped, the.
Speaker 3: Wires coiled around the tripod. I'm in the middle.
Speaker 2: I can't get loose now with the wires, there's no Hoper's situation, and so I just thought, well, this is it, this is dead. I'm dead, and so I started sinking. My ears popped, and that usually happened around twenty five thirty feet and then as I stand deeper something I never had happened before. I felt like someone in the signs with a sledgehammer. And then I lost consciousness, and of course I'm thinking, I'm still thinking, so the pressure has got to be getting greater. And when then I lost consciousness, and then for some unknown ring, I'm conscious again. I'm freed. I'm loosening from that section of the ship. I'm fairly around my arms trying to find something to grab onto and fortunately my USA ring, which was on this finger, was bearing the white stars still there snagged down to the waste window, and I knew that was the waste window by the field. I grabbed with my other hand, watched my back out of the window, and played my life jacket and talked to the surface, and there I saw my two buddies who were now hanging out to a gas tank. They were both in the state of shocked, screaming help, and the pilot's head was bleeding profusely with hot iry and there's no way.
Speaker 3: I can help them.
Speaker 2: If I swim over, they help them, we're all dead. I saw a life wrap that had ejected from the plane automatically, and so there's a one hundred foot cord dragging behind the life wraps.
Speaker 3: So I'm trying to swim to the.
Speaker 2: Life raft with shoes on and clothes, and it's impossible even in a swim suit. I couldn't have caught that light at the currents were that vicious. But as I almost gave up swimming, this cord was drawn by my face.
Speaker 3: I couldn't see it in my water.
Speaker 2: I grabbed the last two or three feet and I reeled in the raft and I got to the pilot.
Speaker 3: Co pilot pulled him aboard, but.
Speaker 2: A three I took two T shirts, made a wet contest, put on the cuts, tied it with the other T shirt very tightly so it wouldn't breathe anymore, and I laid him back. And then I started thinking about that escape. That really bugged me. And I kept thinking of any kind of a logical answer for landscape, and I just couldn't find one, so I gave up thinking about it. Instead, I started praying and thanking God for sparing my life. Well, my buddy saw this. They started to pray with me, and then it wasn't long after that the tail downner panics and began to scream. I suddenly dawned on him.
Speaker 3: What happened.
Speaker 2: We're all going to die, he said, I said, mac nobody's gonna die.
Speaker 3: We're gonna die. I said, mac Nobody's going to die. And then I told him to shut off. I said, if you.
Speaker 2: Don't shut up, I'm going to make a report on you to the military when we get back. And uh, he still kept screaming. So I tried to use child psychology and that didn't work. So I thought I'd give my double shock, and this is the last resort a good shock treatment. So I turned my back on then I came around with the back of my hand and cracked him hard across the face. He laid back in the rapt contempt, and he went okay for maybe five days or a week, and then I had to do it again. But it always seemed to work, and he never agacted. I just laid back and.
Speaker 3: Seemed to enjoy it.
Speaker 2: So our menu of course now is for the next forty seven days. There's what birds, fish and water we could cast, and a course the burge and the fish we simply ate raw three albatross. Well, we actually caught four albums, and we caught the first only caught. We just ripped it open and the smell was enough. We threw it overboard. The second one we caught, I said, we got to eat some part of it, you know, And so we took the brush. We tried to take a bite out of the breast of piece and try to chew.
Speaker 3: It up and swallow. We just barely swallowed one.
Speaker 2: Mouthfall again we where we stood over board and used parts of it to bait, and we did catch a small fish. We divided bad freeways and that wasn't bad raw fish. And then uh, a lot of time went by before we got another albatross, none at all. Yeahway's another albatross. Will open it up. And may I say it was like a hot spudge funny with nuts on it. We ate everything eyeballed.
Speaker 1: And what a story you're hearing? Louis Zamparini. Tell Hitler wants to meet you. He was told after that last final burst of speed. And by the way, he did not tell the story here of him seizing the Nazi flag and stealing it and taking it home. That's a heck of a story. We couldn't tell every bitten part of this story. But he did it, and he did it because well why not? He was still well a rascal. In the end, he goes to usc he wants to compete in the nineteen forty Olympics. That doesn't happen, They're canceled. Then comes Pearl Harbor. His life is changed. He takes on dangerous missions and soon finds himself stranded in the Pacific with a few buddies forty seven days, hanging on for dear life to be rescued. When we come back, more of this remarkable life story, the voice of Louis Zamperini from the grave. He's in heaven now he's smiling, loving this story here on our American stories. And we returned to our American stories and to Louise Zamperini's story. The year is nineteen forty one. While serving as Obama deer on a search and rescue mission in the B twenty four Liberator in the Pacific, Zamporini's plane experienced mechanical difficulties and crashed into the ocean. Let's pick up where we last left.
Speaker 2: Off before we went seven days without water. On the twenty seventh day, we heard mortars and you can imagine our excitement. We shot players through wavery guy in the ocean flickered our mirrors. The plane came down and through Lords they came to Wargus. We had our shirts off, you know, waving our shirts. Care's my eyes all. We're going to be with the Maurice to night on Palmyra. And then machine gun it water splash off, you know, coming out and just missed us. And then I saw the red circle. I know it was a Sally bomber, which was comparable to our be twenty five. And so that went on. They stretched us for about thirty minutes. I was in the water with two sharks while there was two stayed in the raft, and every time I came up, I knew they were dead, but they were alive, and they weren't touched, missed by an eighth of an inch.
Speaker 3: Quarter is half ince And this was just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And I'm in the water with two sharks, and of course I'm taught how to evade sharks. The last resort is straighte on. You stay there, they'll come up. Surely, they'll stop size you up and then they'll come at you. And you got plenty of time to get your hand up there and catch them on the end of the nose, and they usually just take off.
Speaker 3: And that worked.
Speaker 2: But after about thirty minutes we decided we were in a hopeless situation. The raft was now wrinkled, laying flat in the water.
Speaker 3: There's no chance.
Speaker 2: We got to pretend we're dead. So we pretend we were dead, and the plane evidently bypasses that round but made a big circle, and we thought they were going back to but they decided on one more run at this time as they came up directly on course, there's time, said the off course. I looked out of the corner of my eye and I saw the bombay door open, and ours is it. They dropped the depth charge. It was a canister. Now we dropped bombed on submarine. They dropped the canister and it lit about fifty feet away, which would have killed us, But the canister was improperly armed and shrank to the bottom harmlessly. And they did turn around then and leave us a boil water relief. And then we had to start pumping that raft with sharks around, and we're right level with the water. We're pumping like mad, taking turns, and barely got the raft up again and now the holes are about the size of a twenty two hole. He had a seven point seven millimeter I think. And if you saw that inner two pull a hole to the swimming pool, it would not sink.
Speaker 3: And that's the way.
Speaker 2: That was our situation there as we saddled back in the raft after eight days, which it took us about eight days to get the raft decently patched ubb and then the only real big storm we had during the entire time, and it was monsterus. The ways were like twenty five to forty feet and that was far more fighting than the Japanese airplane and far more fighting than the sharks. And we survived that well, I should say the two of us survived. That the tail gun had died on the thirty third day and we buried him a seed. And so the next day, of course, there are big swells and we're on top of the swore. I see lamb for the first time, and we knew we were going to drift into the island, but we also knew these were held by the Japanese, so we had to be real careful and try to find a Jujuga island. And we were about to land on one island when the Japanese patrol boats came around a point and followed us, and you know, you got about twenty five guys with rifles aimed at you, one guy the machine gun. You know, we were so bushed that we couldn't really laugh, but inside we were laughing.
Speaker 3: Then they threw us a rope and pulled us aboard.
Speaker 2: We couldn't even crawl over that week and sat us on the deck of the ship. And here's for the pescol in the face. But they did get us a drink of water and a biscuit. They were taking the wood in there. Weighed in at thirty plo about I don't know sixty five pounds, so I lost about almost one hundred. And there we were treated decently. They pulled the raft out of the from the boat and counted the whole forty eight holes. And I told him, I told him to day, the twenty seventh day on the raft, the date that the Japanese pilot straped us, he should be able to find out who that pilot was or no Japanese pilot wouldn't do that, but he did it, so they wouldn't accept that even with the evidence. Two days later, We're told we're going aboard a steamer heading for another island, and after you leave this island, we cannot guarantee your life.
Speaker 3: So we're heading for a.
Speaker 2: Quad and we knew through the scowl, but that it was considered an execution island. We were blindfolded the ocean forty seven day out there, all you saw was that endless sky, and the Pacific Ocean is what sixty five million square miles the endless ocean. Now I'm blindfolded, and when I men tie that cell, which is two feasts wide by six feet deep and six feet long, they take my blind poles off.
Speaker 3: My eyes just.
Speaker 2: Jumped all over the place. I couldn't believe where I was. And this had a terrible effect on me. I just in the corner of that stell. I just sat there and I looked at my scoutsful fame and just started to cry. And it was you know, here I am a two months ago, I was a vigorous athlete, and here I am a skeleton. And then now our knew guard came on duty and after about a week and he simply looked in and said you Christian, me Christian.
Speaker 3: So they can say, well in Japan at that time.
Speaker 2: You didn't admit you were a Christian out in Japan, and uh, of course I thought I wasn't ill me Christian Christian. So we started a chat on paper, who draw a picture for the name to and so forth? And uh, two days later he got his monthly candy rash and shared it with me.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. Uh.
Speaker 2: Every day, of course we in the morning we would think about execution. We'll list be the morning, they'll list be the morning.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: An officer came in one man and said, you will go to Yoklahama pidness war on the jeopardy with the Japanese fleet up to Sacred Camp in the hild of old Una, and uh, there I'm shoved into a room and told us stand away for for the orders.
Speaker 3: And uh, so I stand there.
Speaker 2: I see the back of the man's head and then he turns around men's back in the chair and looks at him, laughs, and he didn't have to say remember me.
Speaker 3: I know him well at the USC for three and a half years.
Speaker 2: James Sosaki and Riley says I came back to Japan after USC and became Admiral Society that civilian rank of Admiral ahead of all interrogation all over Japan, ninety one prison county, and we talked about USC the bacon and eight doctress on the campus. He was talking about that kind of food chili. Weren't getting it, and then he said, well, we'll see each other from time to time. They called him Jimmy. Jimmy Sosaki had a high ficency transmitter just off a towns boulevard a short distance from the Edison substation where he made broadcast.
Speaker 3: Daily to the Japanese government.
Speaker 2: Then they said he left by boat two days before or raked by the FBI and CIA. I'm finally transferred to what they call headquarterstamb On Mary between Alma, Tokyo or a man made island, and there I meet a nightmare in my life, the bird I command. There he lines us up to and by him looks at me and I couldn't look in his eye that looked away, and he said, why you don't look at my eyes? Buy? So I'm knockdown, I get up knock down again. So I'm punched out every day for the first ten days. And I knew who who the rosh was, That's for sure. And so he was so brutal.
Speaker 3: The other guards.
Speaker 2: We gave him bile, filthy names. It didn't give him a filthyme. We simply call him the bird Becaucius. If he did find out to struggle but that we named him a certain name, then we're really in for trouble.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to Louise Zamporini tell the story of his capture by the Japanese forty seven days in the ocean. The sharks were tough, the gunfire from enemy Japanese planes was tough. What was tougher is surviving a wicked storm with thirty five foot plus waves. Then he's transferred to execution island. He catches a glimpse of himself and all he saw was a skeleton frame, and he just started crying. Every morning he thought about one thing, his execution. And then he's transferred to another camp where he meets his tormentor the bird. When we come back more of this remarkable life story, Louise Amporini's story here on our American stories, and we returned to our American stories and to Louise Zamporini's story when we last left off. In his story, he described a Japanese interment prison guard known as the Bird. The Bird was so deranged that General Douglas MacArthur named him as one of the most wonted war criminals in Japan. Let's continue with Louise Zamporini.
Speaker 3: Now he was the son of a wealthy family. He thunked out our officers schools.
Speaker 2: They had him for officers, and I can remember when we have a be twenty nine ready, call all Americans out, and he separated the officers from the enlisted men. And then he had all the lost rank and listed them just to shame us. Buck privates faced us and each one had to punch us and off of down. Then they wouldn't hit us hard. They'd hit us easy and then mediate hit with the club. Hey hit us hard, knock us down and get it over with. So we had to take a full blow on the face, down on the ground. And so that's the way he was. He took it out our officers. Always officers got the punishment. But about another week when Di and I believe there were six or seven us lined up put in a train and now we're crossing Tokyo. But see, in the meantime they had the big fire rate on Tokyo, which we saw from our vanish point. We saw the sky at blow all night and half the next day, and to come on the train and we go right to that charred ways and all we could say for miles nineteen square miles of charred you know, mambu huts or whatever, wooden shacks. But the only thing we were able to identify were the hundreds of LAIDs that the Japanese did.
Speaker 3: They did like the Germans.
Speaker 2: The factory was bombed, but it didn't slow them down because the big factory in the industrial complex at the point of Tokyo, they only had part of their machinery there. The rest of it was in the civilian homes. And I remember going to the slaughterhouse to pick up our meat. Was was horse guts in a wheelbarrow, and they used to see these transformers, and so my golly, to this little house. I'd looked back and I'd see a laid, great big twenty five thousand dollars laid, and the guys working making parts and all down the street. That it was really strange to see the only thing not burnber all those machines, and that was the raising Truman had the fire bombing of Tokyo was because that was the industrial com So I were going north twelve hours to right to Nagano and down to the ocean to the Lectu. And we get to the prison compound. We have to stand there attention and wait for further order. And we waited and watched the front door of the guard shack, and whoever was in there was making us wait purposely, and we waited and waited and waited, and the door opened, the house shuts the bird. Well, my knees buckled. I just I just couldn't believe. I just thought, you know, my guide, it never gives up. When I got to the point, I just thought, it's hopeless, hopeless. I can't escaped this guy. So I got back to attention, and then I had to pull up him.
Speaker 3: All over again. So then about eight days before the war's over, we get.
Speaker 2: One of the guards came to me and and said, a sad thing happened in Japan, a city call Hiroshima.
Speaker 3: Power broke out.
Speaker 2: No one's allowed to go in this quarantine.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we thought that was sad.
Speaker 2: So the whole nation of Japan knew that Hiroshimo was a city quarantine with collar. And then about eight days later we're told a paint p w on the rope that we'd heard rumors about the war being over for two years, so it didn't mean much, but we wouldn't believe it until we saw a TVF fly over the river and they saw all the pregnants in the river and they flashed on the red light dah da dad, and the radio man picked it up. The war's over. So then we rushed up to the compound and began to wave with the plane. He circled and circle.
Speaker 3: Then they drop the red ribbon.
Speaker 2: On the end of it was a candy bar with a bite out of it, and the pack of siagarettes were two cigarettes gone, and yet three hundred and fifty men got a puff of cigarette and we all had a shiver of candy pretty good that evening. He came back and we looked like a body folly. It was a pair of names. The pants tied at the bottom on top and carton with cigarettes and candy, and Commander Fitzshaal of the Grenadear Submarine, the ranking officer. He opens the pants and right on the top was a magazine and he just stood there silently looking at that picture of the toomic bomb because we'd never heard of it, and he kept looking at it, and the other officers walked up. We all looked over his shoulder and looked at that picture. And then I realized the date of the collar as Hiroshima with the same dates for actually what happened with the bomb, and the Japanese pulled the eyes over the general public by telling him up with his collar, which was the best thing he could have done. So finally, the bird two days before we knew, actually knew the.
Speaker 3: Wall was over.
Speaker 2: The bird disappeared, and because we had a seventy pound walk on the second floor right over the river and a rope we had hidden away in the bulk of the building, and we were going to grab him, tie the rock on him and throw him over into the river. That was our intention, but he flew the coops, so we didn't see him again. Near The guards all started bounding and scraping, and we talked far for him, and we knew that family got home that weren't eating too well, and typical American we started giving the guards food to take home to their children and stuff like got candy. In fact, when the war was over, sleeping in tenth on the way home, I still had nightmares about the bird.
Speaker 3: I'm a Italian. I have to have.
Speaker 2: Revenge, and when he's torturing me and punishing me, booing revenge in my heart and my hands are cunched, I got him by the throat. And that was in my dreams every night, every night. Every night I got home, it was the same thing at home. I got married, I still had the nightmares. In the meantime, I started drinking because of that. But before I started drinking heavily, I started training for the forty eight Olympics, and I did get in good shape. And then when I had my knee give out, my ankle and a muscle spasm or like an explosion in my cap, I couldn't train anymore and I gave that up, and that really hurt me. And TRUST started drinking more and more, and my wife decided time for a divorce. And somebody in our apartment house was telling us about a fellow.
Speaker 3: Named Billy Graham. We never heard him.
Speaker 2: They talk my wife into going down and here Billy Graham, the made a decision for the Lord. Came home that night try to talk me into it, and I said, cable wife, I don't want to hear any more about religion and h But she said something that really struck me in the heart, and that was and because of my decision, I'm not going to get a divorce. So that was good news. And but the next day she was all over me and I refused to go. Finally they more or less tricked me into going down to here Billy and there he's preaching, you know, for all of sin. Well I knew I was a sinner. Well, I didn't like you idea of him reminding me, and it just gave you and give me the shoes to leave. I got mad, grabbed my wife, poled her home, and the next day should go all over me again. And so I finally consented on a return trip. And I said, well, when he finishes his shorm and says everyhow hit bowed, I'm getting out.
Speaker 3: Okay, So back we went, and.
Speaker 2: I kept quoting scripture from the Bible, and uh, I knew what I should do, but I didn't want to do it. And uh then as I started to leave the camp, I started thinking back on the on the raft when our lives were spared, we did pray morning, noon, and night, and we prayed constantly on the raft. Uh. My prayer was always God saved my life, and I'll seek you and serve you.
Speaker 3: And here I am home alive.
Speaker 2: My prayers were answered, and they completely turned my back on those promises.
Speaker 3: That hit me pretty hard.
Speaker 2: Before I got to the aisle where I decided to turn out, no, I stopped momentary, made my decision, went back to the prayer room, and made my confessional faith in Christ. And there a miracle took place. My life completely changed. I had to turn about. I knew that I was true getting drunk. I knew it obviously for myself. I knew I'd forgiven all my guards. I knew I'd forgiven the bird. And I think proof of that was that that night I didn't have a nightmare for the first time. And it's been two and a half years and I haven't and sent the war and I had a nightmare every night, And now from nineteen forty nine till this day, I still never had a nightmare, or even the spy just ankling of a nightmare.
Speaker 3: And so when I met with.
Speaker 2: The studio to make the movie with Universal, the producer was hearing all the things the bird did to me. I'm fit at this meeting like this, listening to these fellows talk. And finally he's getting really up tight and he jumped up and said, Louis, how could you forgive that? So and so? Then I stood up and I said, well, I can only give you one version of the Bible. Why I could forgive him? Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new person. All things are passed away, the whole, all things, you.
Speaker 3: Will become new.
Speaker 2: And Hey looked at me. I didn't know what is your doing. Hey rushed over and grabbed me around the ways, picked me up and said, we're going to make this interer all measure film. So I thought that was pretty neat him. They're Jewish, and I'll mention it in Christ. So that was the climash. That was just beautiful.
Speaker 3: Tell us my.
Speaker 1: Story and what a voice you just heard. That is Louis Zamparini from the grave in heaven sharing his story for all to hear about how Jesus saved his life, made those nightmares disappear, and renewed his life and his marriage. And a special thanks to Greg Hangler as always for the editing on that piece, and thanks to Vision Video they have nineteen hundred video titles of uplifting, family friendly content. Go to Vision Video dot com. God saved my life and I will seek and serve you. He prayed on that boat. I turned my back on God, on my promises. But then I came to Christ. My life completely changed. I forgave the bird. My nightmares ended. A beautiful story. Louis Zamparini's here on our American Stories