Speaker 1: Hello, Patrick, how are you? Aj?
Speaker 2: I expected the call as soon as the Cubs lost nine of eleven games. I knew I wasn't gonna be on when they're winning twenty of twenty three. So I got very much. I'm very much looking forward to Uh, you know, your your thoughts and questions here.
Speaker 1: AJ.
Speaker 3: This is a national this is a national broadcast. You need to be a little bit more professional.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, I'm totally bossed. I'm not even love. White Sox went two out of three against the Chubbies. It's always a good day. And they know know do they beat them two out of three. They freaking snatched their soul and now they got swept by the Brewers. So it's been a good five days. KP. I'm sorry, Patrick, I can't apologize for the fact that the White Sox took two out of three, snatched their soul, and now they got swept by the Brewers.
Speaker 2: I think you're right in terms of a sort of a hangover effect like pe Crow Armstrong.
Speaker 1: We saw it this week.
Speaker 2: At Wrigley Field. It has seeped into his game. That incident with a fan on the south side. I think it was, you know, kind of a cumulative effect of a lot of stuff he was hearing. He sort of snapped in the moment. What he said was indefensible. I don't think it's truly truly representative of like how he interacts with people behind the scenes and his relationships in the clubhouse, the way he is kind of an ambassador for the Cubs, but he is, as he put it at Wrigley Field, like the physical stuff comes from a mental place. And he's gone from like all world defender to defensive liability as he got caught up in this national news cycle that has sort of exploded on him.
Speaker 4: So what was a bigger series before we get to the whole, because I know AJ has experienced the Chicago when both are good, and I know he wants to talk about that. But which was a bigger series? The White Sox series against the Cubs or the Cubs series against the Brewers? And maybe I guess kind of in that question, did the Cubs really think it was gonna be a big series when they were playing the White Sox and then all of a sudden, whoa hit him in the face?
Speaker 2: I think, I mean it was three sellout crowds on the South Side. I mean great energy there. AJ is right, like when the White Sox are rolling and the Cubs are good, it doesn't happen very often where these two teams line up with winning records. That's kind of how it goes in Chicago baseball. But no, I think they were ready to play. The White Sox have just made you know, an AJ can speak to it, like some real improvements. They've got some hitters, they've got some pitching. And I think the Brewers series cratzy is bigger and more more embarrassing frankly, like their performance and just or organizationally, the way that the Brewers keep reinventing themselves and staying ahead of the Cubs is kind of amazing. I was saying this on North Side Territory earlier today, like maybe the Brewers and Cubs are just battling out to see who can get swept by the Dodgers in the in the playoffs. But like right now, what the Brewers are doing just makes the Cubs look bad. Like, you know, the Cubs spend a roughly one hundred million dollars more in their opening day payroll. They're looking up at them in the standings. They trade away Freddy Peralta. They keep bringing in these like broken pitching prospects and fixing them. Their international operation is rolling and either the Cubs never really look back after firing David Ross and hiring Craig Council, but the Brewers have not taken a step back at all, while Craig commutes from Milwaukee and just adding all of it together at this particular moment, just a really bad series in which they oh, they didn't hold a lead at any single point of that three game suite.
Speaker 4: We love our dog Beella, who splays out in the open sun on our floor like she's an underwear model, and that's why we love her so much. To scratch her belly.
Speaker 5: She's a cutie, that Bella. And a quick message from today's sponsor, the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. If you're frantically looking for what to do with your pup when they have an issue, the program offers customizable accident and illness plans, making it easier to get your pet the care they need. When you enroll in an ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Plan, you could get a twenty five dollars Amazon gift card. It's a little treat for you while you're doing something great for your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. That's ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. Eligibility restrictions apply. Visit ASPCA pet Insurance dot com slash Amazon terms for more info. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either independence American Insurance Company or a United States fire insurance company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insuran and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Patrick, All right, what year did you start covering the Cubs? Twenty ten? Okay, so you weren't even there in the two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight when both teams were still good. Ted Lilly's chucking his glove in the playoffs all those years, right, See, this was kind of your first experience where both teams were at least decent and kind of trying, right, I mean maybe thirteen fourteen, but the Cubs weren't very good, and then fifteen sixteen when the Cubs were good, the White Sox weren't very good. So this was your first experience. And by the way, if you think what that lady said to PCA, and what he said back to her was the worst thing I ever heard on a Cubs White Sox field. You're way off based because I said I probably said some worse things. It didn't get caught on camera, and the Cubs fans always said worse things to me, So listen, I understand his frustration with it. But what was it like? Because I always tell people I played Red Sox, Syankeies, I played Giants, Dodgers, I played Cubs Cardinals. I've been in a lot of the biggest rivalries in baseball, but those six games a year when we played against the Cubs, when I was on the White Sox and we were both good where they're like playoff games, they were the best regular season atmosphere have ever been to. What was it like for you to experience that for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was kind of a renewal of that because a lot of these rivalry series over the last decade or so have been sort of recalling. You know, Ozziegean and Loop Panela were such amazing entertainers, like they were the perfect, you know, frontman for this type of series, and you know, you'd have Loop Panella rippin' Steve Stone, you'd have Ozzie Gean talking about it was like the rats lifting weights at Wrigley Field. We had a rat run by a couple home stands ago right past the Phillies dugout. But like, like it should it shouldn't be like you know, the kind of the A J big Z like stroll down Memory Lane, Like it should be the players right on the field, and you know, you're you're right, Like this is going to follow PCA every time he goes to the south side, and you know, I think he will, uh you know, move past this. But like right now, it's it's hard to watch. I mean, the the he makes spectacular plays look routine. He sort of takes away highlight reel catches because his instincts and movements are so good. Uh, but these are sort of like routine plays, like little league errors. That that plus his offensive struggles and that the weight of his new contract and wanting to perform, you know, all of it has it up in a way that will make him, you know, a huge part of this rivalry for the next several years. I mean, he is the villain on the Cubs team for all of those White Sox fans who definitely showed out last weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh, you couldn't have set this up any better for me, aj thank you. Two questions about PCA, are you hearing any sort of maybe regrets about giving him that long term deal given the type of year he came off. He's young, maybe a little bit immature, you know, him potentially striking after potentially what could be his best year. And then there was conversations about PCA and Bregmant kind of sitting in their lockers, you know, late into the.
Speaker 1: Game the other day.
Speaker 3: Do you how much do you feel like Bregmant could kind of help kind of that growth of maturity, of understanding separating offense from defense, defense from offense, and just kind of you know, him being a veteran presence in that clubhouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kevin, I mean, you know as well as anyone like how hard it is to play center field and how hard it is to find guys who can man that position. I mean, the Cubs really after a dexter Fowler went to Saint Louis, I've been kind of a revolving door there. They had guys who, you know, would they could trust for spurts or like they kind of had open auditions, and you know, with Pete, their models love him like theyre they think he will bring a ton of surplus value. That's why they did the deal. I don't think there's any looking back. You're right, there are moments of immaturity, but I would say given how long he's been in the spotlight in a city like Chicago, he's handled himself very well. If you kind of frame his day Wednesday, you know, before the game, he met with a group of young kids in the Cubs dugout, and that is something that he does frequently. Like if you watch him during VP, coming on and off the field, He's always posing for selfies with kids. He's always signing autographs. As you guys know, like certain players are wired differently. Some guys they are all about business or they're just not interested. I think Pete takes that responsibility very seriously, and that's why this has bothered him so much. I think, you know, being forced to apologize and take accountability for this, you know, has kind of weighed on him. I think you see it in a job where you have to make split second decisions all the time, and then kind of the end of his day. By the time the media was led into the Rugley Field clubhouse, Yes, you're right, Bregman and Pete were both in full uniform, sitting in chairs next to each other. Their lockers are in the same you know, cluster within the clubhouse, and I think Bregman from the moment he signed, has been all about trying to help all of his teammates. But Pete in particular is a very good listener. I mean, I think that's what minor league coaches would tell you, what Craig Council would would say that Pete is willing to take feedback and Bregman obviously is known as one of the game's best leaders.
Speaker 1: I think that helps.
Speaker 2: I think it would help more if Bregman produce on the field, and he's just not quite there yet. I think he'll be fine in the end, but he's you know, hasn't delivered a ton of impact at a Thailand like basically the entire lineup is in a slump, just a huge team wide funk.
Speaker 5: Some wireless plans can get a little bit crazy, a little bit off the charts. Expensive Mint Mobile can get you started with three months of premium wireless for fifteen bucks a month like.
Speaker 1: That the way guess ruces are going up. Scott, We've got to keep more mobile plan down, and mint mobile is your location to keep your mobile plan down. Can add family members. You can do all that for just fifteen bucks a month.
Speaker 5: That's less than a drink in many cities these days if you like bougie drinks. All plans come with high speed data and unlimited talking text delivered on the nation's largest five G network. If you like your money, mint mobile is for you. Shot plans at mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Upfront payment of forty five dollars for three month five gigabyte plan required equivalent to fifteen bucks a month. New customer offer for first three months only, then full price plan options available. Taxes and fees extra. See mint mobile for details.
Speaker 1: Patrick, I love that Bregnan was doing this with PCA. It's great. It's a veteran guy. It's kind of what Bregnan was brought into. But did anyone ask, say, if PCA was rubbing off on him last night when that ball hit him square in the chest in the fly ball, or did we just gloss over the fact that that happened.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean last night, it's like, what sort of like negative Cubs storyline do you want to go with all of them? Right, all of them saying it was like, it's like an avalanche write them all of Edward Cabrera.
Speaker 1: Just cubs this Cubs that they can't catch a fly ball, they can't catch a ground ball. We got a guy with the blister that can't pitch. We got a guy Matthew Boyd who we loved to death, that got hurt while he was bending over to help his kids. I mean, it is like you just need to avalanche them all into one thing and keep the pressure on this team. Patrick, it's your job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's like how much how much time you got a j you know, like we could do a whole extended, extended series. I thought, Cabrera, you know, you'll be shocked that the Cubs, you know, downplayed this injury and that you know, Cabrera thinks he'll be out pitching five days from now. We'll see it's a blister that he had had before last night. Starts she's had in the past, obviously, has an extensive medical history that the Cubs did not overlook, but they factored that into their calculation that they were willing to live with that risk because his stuff is that unique and potentially explosive. It hasn't really translated yet. He's been fine, but not really the dominating force you would hope for, particularly given all these injuries. I mean, he is someone that they'd like for a long time. We were talking about like after the twenty four season, I believe, basically multiple off seasons and at least one trade deadline, like they were all over this guy, talking to the Marlins. They had the Lizardo deal that fell through that they spiked over medical concerns.
Speaker 1: And so like they need him.
Speaker 2: They're going to reassess kind of today tomorrow see how he presents. And you know they've they were running out they're pitching like a month ago. You know, like this is not They've already moved two bullpen guys into the rotation. The pitching is in such a state that it was amazing they put together those two ten game winning streaks and now it's really sort of caught up to them.
Speaker 4: Patrick. I don't want to tell you how to run your show, but if you ever wanted aj Prizinski on This would be the time I've never seen him so effervescently talking about the Cubs so Northside territory ever once on this.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, okay, Cubby baseball right now.
Speaker 2: Heck yeah, just me just a one man show, just like AJ with you know, microphone on stage. We don't even have to do anything like you could. Just it's a monologue thirty minute.
Speaker 1: Though. Patrick, it was a cool homer by Conforido until it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's been like literally the only bright spot in this offense, and.
Speaker 4: That could be he's killed the Cubs. The Cubs has fixed him. The Dodgers can even fix Conforida, but the Cubs analytics and their models, they could fix Confordo. My question is, well, the real Showa Imanaga please stand up? Which one is it? Is it the Shota that we saw at the All Star Game two years ago? Was it first half showda and the injury clearly clearly debilitated his you know, his secret pitch that gets by everybody, which he seemed to be healthy at the beginning of the year, and now it's like boop good bed good bed. Which Shoda is it? Because the Cubs models clearly didn't think it's the good SHOWDA, because they wouldn't have done the whole contract situation in the offseason had they thought it was the good SHOWDA.
Speaker 2: Well, if showed us pitching against the Brewers, it's bad. But if showed us pitching against almost anyone else and is healthy, he's almost always good. I wouldn't, Yeah, I mean, as long as showed is healthy, and I would not worry about him really at all. Like a list of concerns right now that has AJ in such a gleeful mood, Like I don't really think Showeda is on that one again, assuming you know he's healthy and but no, I mean I think there were reasons why he did not perform down the stretch last year. SHOWDA went out and sought answers, like almost immediately after the season, he's flying to Florida to work with at the Cressy facility. They got feedback and sort of what he had already sensed of, like that hamstring injury. I believe it was just sort of altered his mechanics in a slight way and just things like that of kilter. He lost some confidence obviously the Cubs. You know they've they locked into showed It again. I mean when he left Japan, you know, they thought he was gonna get you know, something like one hundred million dollars and that he would be out of their price range, and they weren't, weren't entirely sold on him like most of the baseball industry, and you know, Showeda was just hanging out in the Chicago area because that's where his agency is based stateside, and he really he was going to Blackhawks games and you know, training at Bo Jackson's facility out by o'haara, and they he just fell into their laps and it was just amazing. One of the best pitchers on the planet for a long stretch there as a rookie. And then this offseason it was another weird kind of exchange where they declined his three year option. He goes out, doesn't really get the multi year offer that he wants, accepts the qualifying offer, and I think that was a really good outcome for the Cubs. And so you're hoping he's fine. You're hoping Cabret's blister issue is not a big deal. Matthew Boyd is throwing bullpens now. I think if his initial timeline sticks, you would expect him back before the All Star break. Justin Steele's supposed to see doctor Keith Meister for a follow up visit next week. That would be roughly the end of his like one month shutdown. We'll see, you know what comes out of that when they can really ramp him back up again. But I don't know. I think this Brewers series show like they got to go big at the at the trade deadline, like they need help. They obviously weren't as good as they were when they were ripping off fifteen wins in the world at Wrigley, and they're probably not as bad as they've been, you know, during this recent stretch.
Speaker 1: Quick crushing people's dreams, Patrick Quick crushing people's dreams. Okay, especially mine, especially mine. But it was a good anniverse, or at least yesterday. For those who don't know, you have to google it, kids. I'm sure Patrick knows what yesterday was because he's a cub fan.
Speaker 2: So a Cubs fan, what are you talking about? I honestly don't know what the anniversary is.
Speaker 1: Okay, google it. Then you'll have to google everybody. Yeah, yeah, and you know what the anniversary was. Trust me, if you're a cut you work for the Cubs, you know what it was. But anyways, thank you, Patrick, I appreciate it true that you know what that's more bad stuff about the Cubs. Patrick, as your boss, I encourage it. You'll get more clicks. Thank you. You'll get more. You've got it for Cubs fans and for Cup haters. Subscribe to north Side Territory Patrick Hoast with Sea Dve Sharma. Subscribe on YouTube and wherever you listen to podcasts and the entire Foul Territory network. And if you haven't subscribed yet, me and Patrick will have me on one day we can talk the Cubs collapse. What are you doing? Subscribe to north Side Terrort Story I wish