Speaker 1: And That's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what You're the most podcast. Hello Kevin. It's a big day, Happy Wicked, Wicked Weekend.
Speaker 2: Happy Wicked for Good weekend, Wicked everywhere. It is like the premiere was really close to where I live last week. Oh it really in pink and green. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So John stood like Colgate with them like on the broom, like like toothpaste, and he was like sure, Like we.
Speaker 2: Really, I mean I feel like, you know, when Barbie came out, the brand deals were like we had never seen anything like that.
Speaker 1: I think we've never seen put that shame No, truly, I think it was like one hundred and forty or hundred thirty seven partnerships. It's crazy, get your money, you know. Okay, well we are. This is Wicked for Good Weekend. Wicked premiered on November twenty first, twenty twenty five. We both saw it this past weekend opening weekend. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: You know, before we even say anything, I love an event. I you know, I love a big event. I love when people get excited to go to the movies, to like go experience something together and the fact that this is such an event, like especially for a musical. Musicals are not that popular at the movies, and it's it is really nice that this has happened.
Speaker 1: I mean I went to the AMC Universal City Walk and it was the Christmas Tree, like the Wicked Christmas Tree, and then inside were the costumes. So it was Cynthia's robes and also the Glinda dress, the gown ooh, pretty downs, the beautiful gowns, gowns, beautiful gowns. She's they're both tiny, they're so small. But it was a lovely experience. So in the news, the Fate of Ophelia by Taylor Swift is number one.
Speaker 2: Damn yeah.
Speaker 1: So and uh, the movie is Wicked for good.
Speaker 2: I mean, it broke all kinds of records. It broke the first movies records. It's it has made it over like two hundred and thirty million dollars opening weekend worldwide or something. It's it's crazy. Yeah, oh yeah, two hundred and twenty six million worldwide.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Glea Casses continues to take over New York City. Kellen Kevin, you're in still in spelling Bee and chest just you both just opened, Darren is back in Maybe Happy Ending, Alex just opened in Chicago, Groff is just in time, Kristin Chenna with Is and Queen of Versailles. I saw you had many friends come with you this weekend, Kevin at the Bee.
Speaker 2: We did Chris Cofer with Will. It was so sweet. I was like, do you want to be a guest speller. He's like, nope, no, But you.
Speaker 1: Did actually have a very special guest speller this weekend. You had the one and only Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: We had Daniel Radcliffe.
Speaker 1: What a sweet man.
Speaker 2: And it was a crazy time. The fire alarm went off in the building. So we're at New World Stages. There are five different theaters within one building, so if the fire alarm goes off, everybody has to stop the show and go outside and all your shows. All the shows stopped, and we were right at the end. I Love You song was just starting. Oh like Lily got out her first Wow.
Speaker 1: Crazy. We love live theater.
Speaker 2: But it was it was an adventure every you know, nothing was wrong, the fire department showed up, it was all safe. But Daniel Radcliffe is just an excellent sport. What a kind person. I had never met him before. Oh my god, he had never seen the show before. Wow, he knows Leanna who plays Marshy Park because they were and merrily together with Craft and so he evacuated with us and just a sweet sweet man.
Speaker 1: You know, did he get bombarded?
Speaker 2: The crowd went crazy for him. We sort of ran security for him, you know, yeah, for sure, we were trying to keep him safe. But he hung out with us. And I love when somebody like that too, because he's a theater boy. He has always he's done theater for decades now, and like he wanted to come in and not know anything about the show and he was one of the guest spellers and just had He's like, if I had known there was dancing, I would not have done that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the joy. It was great, how fun. This is directed by John M. Jew Obviously, this is part two the screenplays when he Holtzman and Dana Fox.
Speaker 2: Yes, And like we said before, it's based stuff that he doesn't three musical by Stephen Shore so many Holtzman, which is also based off of Gregor McGuire's nineteen eety five novel Wicked, which again I did read last year and choarographed and choreographed by Chris Scott, and it's a reimagining of L. Frank Baum's nineteen hundred classic The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the nineteen thirty nine film. It's all of those things in one.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get into too deep into this, Kevin, Yeah, I just need everybody to take a deep breath, because I came out of that theater and the two people in front of me like they did Cynthia so dirty with her song, and oh they tried to expand the world, but like they didn't need it, and ah blah blah blah. And I'm like, look the fact that a musical is so being recognized worldwide to this scale and degree, the number, we have an Asian director, we have a diverse cast from a story about two, three, four very strong, flawed female characters at the home. We have breaking box office breaking records. We have the part one which was stupendous with high regard and accolades galore. And the expectation is so high, and this, to me is reminiscent of when somebody gets too high up in the industry, there's nowhere else but to take them down. So I'm just asking everybody to just take a deep in breath because it's wicked. There's great songs. They're not as good as Part one. But as long as you're mine, no good deed for good even Girl in the Bubble, which might be a hot take, but let's just let's just celebrate that. I understand there was you know, my opinions will come out, but as long as you're mine, and then we just hit astride. Okay, we got back into the show, the act that we know, the play that we know, the musical that we know. I'm curious to hear from you, Kevin, like what they pulled from the novel and the book prior to that came back in because it was a lot more of the animals and else of the story about the animals, and I was like, that had to be in the book, and if not, they ate it up. So I'm curious because, like, I see what they were trying to do, which is what we talked about in the first one, was expanding the world, expanding the character development, expanding all of that. Like, but I'm just gonna I'm just gonna like take a deep breath. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed everybody's performances. I thought the world was still there. I thought the girls were remarkable. They were so good, and I'm just like, really solid, really solid. I'm not hating on it. I'm not bringing it down. Like they obviously loved this, they loved making it. It's part of it, Like I, I appreciate it, and I'm just I'm just gonna get off the soapbox now.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I think that's good. And that's also I always need to be reminded of those things. You know, I'm a critical bitch.
Speaker 1: It's not a bad thing, but it's just sometime but sometimes it's not about that, right, you know, right, right? Well, I also think all of these things can coexist. I think I do think so. A lot of the complaints too, were like I hate that they broke it up into two movies, and that's been coming up a lot.
Speaker 2: I've had a lot of conversations the past week about that, and it gets clearly just a cash grab, and I'm like that. I I hard disagree with that because the first movie, I enjoyed the pacing, I enjoyed living in that world. Sure do I think some of those scenes could have been shortened, and you could have probably taken out twenty minutes maybe sure, but like that's not like a deal breaker for me at all. With that first movie. This movie, it probably could have been an hour and a half. Yeah, I do think that. I do think it could have been tightened, But like I do think there is enough there too, you know, be deserving of its own movie. Act two is historically not as good as Act one. It has some like you said.
Speaker 1: My argument is that if you were to make this one movie, Act one would have had to be less an Act one being as good, or the part one of the movie being as good as it was was because it had the space. Yes, if Act two was crushed into Pact one, then it wouldn't We wouldn't have had that in part one and the movie would have been lost, right Yep.
Speaker 2: I thought this movie really found its stride probably about halfway through. Yes, I think when it got to Know Good Deed, all of a sudden was like, okay, oh we're in it.
Speaker 1: One song before I was thinking as long as your mind, and I was like, all right, here we are, We're back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think until that point it was like a little clunky to me. Yeah, And it was it was a little weird adjusting into the characters, you know, years later where we left Alpha Ba being this like badass writing, you know, on her broom away, and then we come back sort of in like this strange, strange place there was there was a couple of things. I was like, what what's happening? It almost felt like like it was shot years later, even though it was shot back to back, you know what I mean, like like that sort of thing. But something happens all of a sudden when for me, when it gets to no Good Deed, I.
Speaker 1: Found it tried. It really did so in the in the in the musical right, and I may make some mistakes here, but thank goodness number one is my favorite song. So thank goodness that that was so good because we love that number.
Speaker 2: And they I think in a whole bunch of like really cool musical elements. I think in the beginning in all those songs, there's a lot of new things. How did you feel about those? I didn't.
Speaker 1: I mean again, like I thought that was great, Like I didn't. It didn't bother me. It didn't feel out of context. It felt like it was part of the world. So like none of that felt like it was forced. I'm into it. I'm totally I was totally into it. It didn't bother me. The no place like home felt out of place because I had never heard it before. And that whole story of her with Dulcibet and the animals leaving because they felt like there was no other escape in her trying to like corral them back to fight together. I understand it. It just didn't hit like. It just didn't And I was I was curious, Like I was like, oh, I can't wait to talk to Kevin about this, like with the animals, and like, was that part of the book.
Speaker 2: The animal not that scene, m but the animals were the main driving force for alphabets story.
Speaker 1: In the book, and I got that in the musical. But this is really they've really like expanded on it, and it just felt like.
Speaker 2: It's like a double edged sword with some of these expansion things in the story. Because I liked that they added more of the animal stuff, I also think it then created more like plot issues. Yes, and I think that raised a lot more questions in this movie, and then like only a couple of them got answered.
Speaker 1: The way I was thinking about it was like weiked went through an assortment of versions and workshops.
Speaker 2: Right, I had the same thought, Yeah, keep going, there's a reason.
Speaker 1: Why those pieces weren't in the musical. There's a reason why that wasn't included in the musical. Time not the necessity, not really necessarily, it doesn't you don't need it, right, so putting it I don't know the process, you know, come for me, but like it seems like trying to expand the world and bringing in those pieces this is again we're cut out for a reason. They weren't brought initially for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well, I think you have more time to do that, Like, and I was interested in seeing the expansion of the world in that way. What I don't think it needed was the song.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: And I think to your point is like when and we've talked about this, and there are obviously exceptions to this, but I think it's a big uphill battle to put in new songs into an established musical where things have been workshopped, things have been thought about for years before they ever seen the light of day, and then adding in new music generally, I think feels a bit hollow and you can tell the songs were written in a different time, Yes, agreed, and especially if they're not moving the plot forward, right, and I feel like these I know you like Girl on the Bubble.
Speaker 1: I did because I don't think that like Alphabet has an eleven o'clock number. This is a two hander, even though Alphabet is technically the lead the No Place Like Home, Sure, and are right, maybe Real in the Bubble doesn't move the plot, but she doesn't get her second act number.
Speaker 2: I thought Girl in the Bubble had more purpose than No Place, No Place Like Home felt these The lyrics of both of these songs were like very on the nose. We're telling you exactly how we're feeling. There's no nuance or depth to like what's really going on, and they're just explaining things that they are currently feeling. Yeah, like as an observer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, And for sure.
Speaker 2: I did enjoy Girl in the Bubble more. I think for the reasons you probably did as well. Yeah, like that and getting to see into her. We do know more about Alphaba. I think, like how she's feeling, We're.
Speaker 1: Like what's driving her and what like, yes.
Speaker 2: Where it sort of felt like a hat on a hat. Yeah, the scene with the animals already did that. Yes, Yes, like having Dolci Bear come back and having that conversation and all of that, like that was really meaningful. I do have to say that the random assortment of like six monkeys flying in and like hearing it and then bouncing, I'm like, where did that come from? Why are we just and then you know, and then it's like so then you're also here's like you're presenting that there's like this underground tunnel system. But then when Alphaba gets out later on and the animals is all of a sudden back, you're now telling me nobody saw Alphaba sneaking out to the tunnels because the animals came back.
Speaker 1: Well, they came back, but there has to be some.
Speaker 2: Exchange here of that's that's a very minor that. Yeah, that doesn't but that's what I mean by like, if you're going to expand it, you gotta I think there's Yes, you know, what we didn't do is tell people where we were in the movie. So a little synopsis. Alphaba obviously is hated by everybody, is living in exile in this like beautiful little villain.
Speaker 1: She's literally crafted as the villain, yes, and she's trying to help you know, free the animals and fight for their rights, and it's being silenced by the Wizard and by Metamorble. Glinda has now become like the symbol of goodness all around Oz, living in the palace in the e World city and reveling in the perks of fame and popularity. Under the instruction of Madame Morrible, Glinda is deployed to as an effervescent comfort to Oz, reassuring the masses that all as well. And then Glinda's you know, getting married to Fierro, and Nessa Rose is now the governess of munchkin Land, and ye, craziness ensues. So there's a lot going on, and they have to set up a lot and cover a lot, and then there's the whole Wizard of Oz story of putting Dorothy in there and getting tin Man and Scarecrow. And there's a scene early on where Fierro finds out he's engaged to Glinda, right, she's the good She's in a town speaking to the people.
Speaker 2: With Madame Morrible, and they have this like an aside to goodness, yes during thank goodness, and you see what's really going on, and because you're you know, there's this whole thing of like, is everybody so an effled? Besides? Secretly is Glinda and are Glenda and Fierro like so with it here? And they have just like really, I thought Jonathan Bailey did such a great job acting in this movie overall.
Speaker 1: Jonathan Bailey for the win Erroo for the win.
Speaker 2: I think he does. He doesn't have a lot to do, but he doesn't make a meal out of it, and he's not like hamming it up. He's not trying to like good, he's yes, he is very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In that scene, it really sets up for me what we can expect, not not only from their story, but how they're playing this.
Speaker 1: Like the conflict of like, you know, what do you want me to do? How do you want me to how would you want me to perform us or do?
Speaker 2: Like because they're both both of those characters are in public facing yes, like public facing jobs. Yeah, and then you have their inner person, but you don't really get to see inner Fierro because this story is not about him, right, And so that really that quick little scene with them, you see like, oh once, since that first movie, his interaction with Alphaba, he's been on this ride of changing for a guess if you will and has never looked back, where Glinda is more complicated. Glinda's a messy character. Both of these characters are really messy. In the book Alphabet sucks, to be honest, they both sort of suck like things are happening to them and around them, and they sort of just make everything worse. Like that's sort of the vibe. And I do like their development in this.
Speaker 1: Kudos to Winnie then for creating. Yes, they're messy. That's humans, right, We're flawed, we are driven, and we are flawed, and but we are layered and like I and human and so I like I particularly like Elpha Ben the first act, but then I particularly like Glinda in the second act. Yes, because the arc is so clear and yet so dynamic, and.
Speaker 2: She's just not like you know, Fiera's like you you couldn't say no to this, like you know who could? But you can't. And she's like, well, she's like who can. He's like, well, you know who can? And it's not Ye, it's not as clear cut.
Speaker 1: And like she can't she can't, but she also like she knows she isn't. Like that's the part of it where she's like they're like you're so good and she's like not yet, and I'm like yes, Like she's gonna make it right. She's going to figure it out. She knows she's made some mistakes and she's owning up to that in that one line, like yeah, I know. Like that's the dynamic of Glinda that I love. Is that, Like even when Kristin was doing it, you're like, well, she's a public figure, she's greedy, she's taking the spotlight and yeah she's still friends with Elfhi and like blah blah blah. But this world where you get to see the development more and Ariana, like you get to see the beauty of like her acting out in like or showing us the awareness she has about what her actions are, like how her actions are having consequences on everybody, but yet also like still innately good. Right, She's gonna make it right.
Speaker 2: Well hopefully, And I think that's like the beauty of it, Like you don't the proximity she has too, like the really evil people like Madam Morble and the Wizard, right, like that feels like okay, she's sort of like this spy and cahoots and like she's keeping a closeness to them, because it's also in a way protecting Alphaba because she's also still in contact with Alphaba and cares deeply about Alpha Ba, so like if she knows like keep your mean's close kind of thing, but she's also benefiting from it, right, And it feels tricky. It feels like an allegory for like race in America, or it feels like, well, you as like the pretty white girl can still benefit from like the bad actions that are affecting like the minority communities.
Speaker 1: And yet look at how Alphaba's been shut out and Alpha.
Speaker 2: Was being you know, looked at villainized, villainized, and she actually has all the power and the talent, right, and yet you're the one who's like mediocre at every single step. You're just like more successful and more successful and literally living high in the castle. Yeah yeah, yeah, but you know, ultimately, the one thing she wants is friendship and piero and love, and she's not getting those things right, right, And there was there was some thing in the story like coming into it I and I talked to people about it, and like the thing that always rubs some people the wrong way is like Alphaba towards the end of this is like she gets the man runs off, Like is she really a girl's girl in that way? Because it's like, wait, she just took this guy. It's like that's not the story to me. No, not at all, And like I've read a lot of complaints about that really, and I was like, no, i'man Fierro didn't really want to be with Glinda ever, No, and Glinda sort of sees in that scene I thought Ariana did it. That standoff scene well, m hmm. I thought was maybe Ariana's best seen in the entire movie YEP, where Fierra comes in, puts the gun at her face and then she sees, you know, once she gets Alfie gone, like saves her somehow, Well he does. Fierro saves Elfie and then she's Glinda tries to say Fiero and it's like he didn't mean it, and it hits her that that moment of Oh, he loves her, That's why he did it. He never was going to harm me. It was like a really really beautiful Well.
Speaker 1: It's easy because if you're it was, it really was, And it's easy as a as a fan of the show and all of that to assume that everybody knows that, and Glenna knows that, but like to be you know, for her as a character to have that kind of finite detail of like, right, not everybody knows this, and I as a character don't know that yet like having that turn right.
Speaker 2: Well, because because that's the thing with her, you don't know where she stands. You never like ditsy, and you don't know how much of it is real. It's like, well, a lot of it seems to be. She is kind of titsy, good heart, but also self aware. Yes, when he's presented with things, Yes, she takes it in. Yeah, you know, like she knows what's up, but like she can sort of live with blinders on for as long as a privileged life. Yep, exactly. Speaking of that scene they're on the Yellow Brick Road, how did you like, you know, the whole movie opens up on them, you know, building the yellow Brick Road and having with the animals and doing a kick flip back onto the you know, but I did like seeing it being built, step.
Speaker 1: The world up, you know, setting the world up here. Okay, we're reintroducing her versus just reintroducing her, and like the burning which you know, yeah, again, it didn't bother me. I like, it didn't. I didn't notice it, right, And sometimes in the things that we notice, it's not always good, and sometimes the things we don't notice is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, like the animals can't speak, like not everybody knows this musical.
Speaker 2: That well, So we saw the movie last night and then a few of us were talking who went to go see it? And I don't think they really answer it in the movie. And I don't remember them, I mean in the stage show. And I don't think they answer it in the book. Really, I could be misremembering. Why do the animals lose the ability to speak? The is that ever?
Speaker 1: It's again, people are gonna be listening to us and be like yelling at us because I don't remember. But when they're caged, they lose their ability.
Speaker 2: So when they're caged, they lose their ability because they're like.
Speaker 1: Not able to be there, which is why I think they brought the cages back in when she sees it before the wedding, mm hmmm, because I was like, oh, it's the wizard, but the wizard can't he's not magical, right, Yes, it's putting them in cages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're putting the cages because do.
Speaker 1: You remember the cub, the lion Cub was putting in a cage at a very young age, and so he was never able to figure it out until she released him. He was like to.
Speaker 2: Remove okay, so removing their freedom. So when they don't have freedom, they revert back to like sort of being.
Speaker 1: A yeah, yeah, okay. So the other thing that's happening is that Nessa Rose has become their father has died, and Nessa has become a governor the east. Oh my gosh, and Bach and her are still together. Black has come becomes some version of a like an undersecretary. He's an assistant to rather than a love interest and a romantic partner. Right, yes, that, but he has never again like never really wanted to be in that position and in love with her and kind of got too far down the road.
Speaker 2: And you know what's about this is all these characters are messy. Every single character is messy, but.
Speaker 1: Like all have wants and desires and they're clear, and like he's going to go back and tell like, you know, he's gonna leave Nessa finally and go tell Glinda, call off the wedding, tell his whole you know, confess his love after all this time. And of course Nessa is angry at Alphaba because she didn't come back for the father of their father's death. Why would she? Her father was terrible to her. But Nasa has become hard and so uh. Alphabet visits Nessa and this is where we learn about the magical Slipper, the ruby slippers, that is, the two wizard of Oz and the.
Speaker 2: That when you interviewed her.
Speaker 5: Yes, we also talked about the shift in and collaboration in the story where Nessa walks in the Her dream is that why have you not helped me?
Speaker 1: You've helped everybody else, Why have you not helped me?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And Alphaba's fight is I've always helped you, I've done everything for you, and it's still never enough.
Speaker 2: Which is like a very real that I thought that like Alfaba is straight up just like Alphaba in Wicked the musical, I like so much more than the Alphaba and the book, by the way I think how they adapted her into I think she's such like a wonderful character and is good and is doing so much good and clearly everything is just being villainized where like everyone around her no good deed is taking advantage of her, and like Nessa.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, at every turn it is.
Speaker 2: Never enough, and it's like I also like that like Nessa is a complicated mess, like.
Speaker 1: Yes, another complicated female character in this and like not.
Speaker 2: Likable and nice. So when you were talking to her about obviously like the choice to change, it to her floating like she was in the dance floor with box.
Speaker 1: So there was a lot of feedback that Marissa said from the disabled community about that moment where Nasa walks yeah, right, or her has the desire to be fixed yep. And so the collaborative thing was I think she had said that Winnie came back and had wanted to make it right in this and having a second chance, right, like not everybody gets that to make things right. So in the film, she alpha the spell that from the grimmery she casts on Nassa. It focuses they made the choice instead of walking to have Nessa fly in the air. And I didn't see the trailer, so I watched this for the first time in the movie and I thought it was wonderful and it was it's focusing the shift away from fixing the disability toward the emotional experience of the magic itself, which then ironically is actually not the thing that's going to fix NASA's deep rooted wounds and you know issues.
Speaker 2: Well that was my question about. So it's like she floats temporarily, yeah, and then comes back down, like why didn't the spell last? Or like why isn't she able to then float whenever she wants after that, they obviously need her not to be floating when that house comes down on her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think I think it was still very early in her learnings of the Grimmery, and like I think that spell was a temporary spell, Like I don't think she was. And again, like I think it was also not fixing or cha right, we're not changing things. We are giving her a moment to allow Alpha Butt to show that she's trying and she's offering something yes, and Nasa saying, okay, I've done it. And yet it's still now Bach is still leaving. He doesn't need me, you know.
Speaker 2: And the whole is she is her perspective or for understanding or her perception of the world around her more as opposed to you know, now that she is floating. She can have all things and want all things. Like no, box still has the same wants and desires you just right are now seeing them clearly for the first time. And she literally comes back to.
Speaker 1: Earth when he's saying that when he's saying I'm going to leave now that you don't need me.
Speaker 2: That's why you can't put all your hopes and desires in someone else, I know, especially a man.
Speaker 1: Awesome, you know it. Also, this was added into the film as well of she's saying I will see you again basically and restricting the Munchkin's travel, you know, ability to get out of the out of Munchkin Lane and not much for the l munchkin Land.
Speaker 2: And then because she says all this with a smile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like, well, you know, and and so we've never seen that before because in the movie, you know, he turns into the tin Man in that same scene. I think, yeah, they go find the mirror and the whole thing, and then he comes out and he uses the tin Man. So this was added. I'd imagine it was from the book, but I again, it was like more I appreciated that, like.
Speaker 2: Evil, Oh yeah, she becomes like a tyrant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, anyway, I love And then of course they use her when Glinda gets revealed to Madame Marble and the Wizard that.
Speaker 1: Her sister's her weakness, they use that against her to bring her back to to capture her, which.
Speaker 2: I thought was really beautiful job on Ariana's part.
Speaker 1: Again, another moment of like she's going to make that decision because she's hurt, right, it.
Speaker 2: Was like, yes, but it was not even her intention was to start a rumor Madam Marvel's attention, I mean intention was to murder like very different things. And leaving that that shot of just leaving it an Ariana for a long time in her accepting what was going on in the world, her world came crashing down like tears to tears trying to just saying that little thing. I thought was one of the most most like beautiful cinematic parts of the movie. Yeah, I wish, I honestly wish there were more of those moments, Like I really loved how that was shot. I loved how it was staged and blocked, Like I wish there was Well, you have a couple of those. There's a couple of Jeff Global moments like that, And speaking of let's talk about Jeff Global and Michelle Yo. Okay, Michelle Yo is an incredible actor. Michelle Yo has said herself she's not a single. That's not why she's in this however, And I know they called and begged her to do this. I just think I let me. Also, I think that a really big part of this is I do think she had a really hard job because a lot of her dialogue is her running into a scene saying something out of nowhere, like it's the Wicked Witch or like get her. I would say, like three out of four times that's what she's saying, you know what I mean. Like it's hard to just like interject yeah the one one liners and say something.
Speaker 1: But she's an important character, like she drives. She is actually the bad guy behind the bad guy.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't feel like it.
Speaker 1: I know, there's like a loss of like I respectfully m hm, I feel like she didn't.
Speaker 2: It feels like she didn't know what world she was in. Mmm. Everybody else did. And I think that's why it sticks out. Everybody else is so in it. And like I love just to watch Michelle Yo, like let me just but the use of like she's now the minister at the wedding. She's now the press secretary for Oz. She's here. Also, she's also the most one dimensional character in the in the entire story, and like the most she is the most school.
Speaker 1: And no, that's what I'm saying. Though there's not there's not a ton of layer or give in that space or written that she can grasp onto to create something that makes her likable even as a character.
Speaker 2: Right, Like you know what I mean, Like it felt like it was a lack of choices, but I do think like it was. That being said, I think the caveat is I think it's a really hard position to be in. Yeah, for sure, But I also think, like, if you are hiring a non singer and a musical with some of the world's greatest singers, maybe don't.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my god, what did you think about Jeff Goblum wonderful?
Speaker 2: Oh god, that wasn't even intentional.
Speaker 1: Ha, Yeah, he's Look, I think the Wizard is one of my least favorite characters in the film. Yeah, and in the musical, right, the songs are they weren't aren't as strong. You know, we love Djoel Gray, but like the songs are just not strong, and so I'm like, mah, I think I'm doing him.
Speaker 2: Usually male songs like that are sort of like the throwaway once.
Speaker 1: But Jeff Goldlum is a very likable person, and I really I appreciated the pizazz that he brought to the Wizard was amazing. Yes, it was right right, And and adding in Ariana into his song you know the Wonderful was interesting because that's not the way it is on the in the musical, and honestly make it more interesting. So like, let's bring arian in there. Let's make it uh spectacle right, because otherwise it's not you know, like it just doesn't he snooze fast.
Speaker 2: When he to me when he comes in in this movie, to me, it is like almost like a sigh of relief, of like, because his character is also really hard and complicated. Yes, yes, but he understands nuance. Yes. In every single scene, there was so much thought going on behind his eyes, and he's understanding what these girls are saying to each other, what the situation is. And I didn't realize you're not thinking of that when you're watching a movie necessarily, But as soon as he came on screen, I was like, oh, I now understand the world in a different way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Wizard, he doesn't get to that position if he's not a master of manipulation, right, And yes he is like the best con man. Yeah, and creepy and like I don't know, and yet still charming. And I thought Wonderful was one of the best shot numbers in the movie. I thought it was beautifully staged. I liked the technicolor aspect of it. There were some beautiful like odes and references to the Wizard of Oz movie. Yes that I really liked it'ds yeah, I just I honestly wanted more. When that song started, I was like, ugh, here we go, and then I never wanted it to end.
Speaker 1: No, I think they did. They did the best they could with that number, and it's the best version that it could possibly be.
Speaker 2: And I think one of the best numbers in this entire movie. Wow, I really might be third tru Wow, I disagree, but I thought it was exact because I also thought they were all really good in it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, for sure, for sure, still not my favorite number. But I appreciate you you're saying, yeah, yeah, but well done, well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Watching it visually, I was like this is what I what I didn't love. Like the first thing you hear Albus say in this movie basically is like she gets into like the Emerald City with the Wizard and says it's over. You're like, didn't we just see you flying on your broom saying I'm going to take them down? Like you didn't do anything yet other than like disrupt some of this like yellow brick road being built, but it still got built. It's finished. There's been a ceremony. Yeah, And like my issue with that was like she turned so quickly, it was like it's over and like, oh, but we're going to sing a little ditty and she gets convinced like really quickly, where it's like the alphabet I know, right is like stronger than that. H And that was my only issue that was like a little story issue with me. I don't know, I don't know if the story issue. I don't know if that's like a I'm not sure who's in charge of that, like.
Speaker 1: A character issue or like in the writing or whatever.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah. What I also liked having arian It in that or having Glinda in that scene is Glinda is like the Wishard of Oz where she doesn't possess any power, but she's influential and can get people to do what she wants me to use.
Speaker 1: It for the right, We're good. That's the bubble. It's like Madam Moriles Marvel saying this will distract from the fact that you don't have any power.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the ending, because I feel like it's a really big change? What do you mean which part in the stage show? Correct me if I'm wrong Glinda's We leave Glinda sort of like accepting her consequences, the consequences of her actions. We don't know what's really going to happen. She realizes she's messed up a lot. She doesn't get like a happy ending really right now. I feel like in the movie she gets everything, she becomes the person of power. She gets Madam Marbles swept away, she gets like all within one failed sweep. It's all like really easy.
Speaker 1: I mean, Marvel goes away. In the musical, she tells her I don't think you have what it takes, and she leaves. The wizard leaves she does she get the grimy yes in the end of the musical or in the beginning of the musical, is the end of the musical. So when she comes by Bubble, she's holding the Grimmery, so she does get the grimmory in the yes, but it doesn't open and she doesn't get.
Speaker 7: Like, no, we don't see the magic, like we don't see her like you know, like the whole thing, you know, with the grimmory lighting up and looking over oz right, bring.
Speaker 2: The animals back, right, well the animals are.
Speaker 1: Yes. I think what you're saying, well, there's a part.
Speaker 2: That's why negates the whole moral of the story, where these are complicated people and they don't actually have I.
Speaker 1: Think this was a universal choice of like we're opening the world and it's keep going and you better keep it open, because what.
Speaker 2: I longed for was that, like, it doesn't all completely work out for Glinda because Alphaba still has to run off to the unknown sands of time right right, and then and then Glinda literally gets everything, gets the credit for the animals, gets the credit for it, Like, but what has she actually done?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know for sure, but then in those are laws to it for that that argument is like she is Glinda the good we don't know any of that, Like, and I see what you're saying, Maybe my argument is Nolan Boyd.
Speaker 2: But like I already made her Glinda the good because just as they made Alphaba the Wicked Witch when she wasn't, they also did propaganda for making Glinda the good without having actually done anything.
Speaker 1: Right, I think the grimmery opening and her with the animals did open the world to her actually getting more than what we had hoped for. Like in the musical where it's kind of uh vague, right, like she's singing and she's she's happy in front of them, but she's crying in the right like you know what I mean, and we don't know. So I think that's fair. Yeah, I didn't. I didn't think about it that way. But I don't think I walked away going like, oh, she got everything she wanted, because that moment where they're at the door right, actually isn't her getting everything she wanted.
Speaker 2: No, I guess I guess what I mean is publicly she's getting everything she wanted. Personally, yes, she loses, she loses the closest person to her.
Speaker 1: I think from the musical point of view, I don't think that I thought that she didn't get everything she wanted because publicly, yeah, and privately, still the same story lands, like she's still getting the recognition she still is the good person. Yeah, she has to confront the fact that they were friends at some point, right, and people know that about her, But even from the beginning of act too, like she's still the one that they look to that she's you know what I mean, she's she's getting on the outside everything she wanted.
Speaker 2: I guess the thing is like the stage musical left more of a question mark to me at the end of like where she was where, Like she's doing some deep reflection about like the journey that has happened. And I'm not saying that's not happening in this but like every loose end is like sort of neatly tied up in a bow.
Speaker 1: Yes, I understand, as opposed to.
Speaker 2: Like leaving some open questions of like Glinda now doesn't suffer the consequence of being complicit in like discrimination against the animals that she's been for the entirety of two movies. She's complicit and Deessa dying like she's complicit in all of these things with a tyrannical sort of government, you know, like what's going on and all of a sudden, like Slate is wiped clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no's in the stage musical.
Speaker 2: But it's like that extra step that happens in the movie. Yeah, it's like, well, yeah, what what are we learning here?
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's create some performances, like, let's do some of the highlights. So thank goodness A plus. What were some of your favorites?
Speaker 2: Wonderful? A plus plus?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, as long as your mind.
Speaker 2: I did love.
Speaker 1: I know that people aren't loving that as much, but I don't care.
Speaker 2: As long as your mind Alphaba and Piero. Yeah, and you know, look, I think Jonathan Bailey acted of it. I think nobody should have to sing against Cynthia, like that's not fair. But I also think that they're really good together. He has chemistry with the wall, you know what I mean, Like he's he's very good though too, he's no, no, no, he's also get rid of the context? Can we get rid of the blue contexts?
Speaker 1: I know it was a thing. It was a thing.
Speaker 4: No good deed, incredible, no good day. It's giving them Agatha, which yes, I wanted that number to be twenty minutes longer, you know, for sure, I mean i'd pay twenty five dollars for that. I obviously for Good and the door and the number and that whole scene and the whole.
Speaker 1: Culination of it was just really beautiful and just really raw, and I everybody's looking forward to that, and they really did it justice. Period.
Speaker 2: Is that in the Stage Show before for Good, Alphabet doesn't Alphabet say like you're never gonna see me again or something like that, like this is the last time you seeing me or something like that, and she doesn't say that in this and like, interesting, I feel like then the stakes of that song are a little different. Granted it's incredible in the movie, but I feel like you need that, like this is the last thing they're ever saying to each other. I did also love the you know, the comedy bit from the Stage Show, which is also in here a bit of Dorothy just being down in the cellar while they're having this whole beautiful and that shot of them and like the closet together, yeah, or on either side of the door in the closet was apparently improv where like he just left the camera rolling and they just did that, and it's probably the most moving important shot in the entire movie.
Speaker 1: Oh truly, it was really very very powerful Okay, TARTI takes not really, I don't think so. No dance dance move honestly, all of wonderful, wonderful. Yeah, totally. Best song performance by Prop the Grimmery obviously, and Glinda's lingerie.
Speaker 2: Nit holy sweater, I mean, I mean, I like boxes acts was pretty cool. Glenda's wand was really great. Okay, uh, best line not all of us can come and go by bubble, yes.
Speaker 1: Foreman's MVP, I mean the ladies. And then also and then also honorable mention to Jonathan Bailey.
Speaker 2: And Jeff Goldblum. Yes, I thought, Cynthia and Arianna, we're very good, very very good. And I think it's Cynthia's best acting performance today.
Speaker 1: Excellent, truly.
Speaker 2: We found on TikTok the gay chemistry between a gay man and a lesbian woman is giving smooth criminal from Lee. Now I can't stop thinking about it. Jonathan Bailey and Cynthia vote. I love that. That's great, very funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have a things giving episode for you, and then on Friday we're we're talking to a wiki choreographer and our friend Chris Scott. Very exciting, you guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, next week, Jenna got a chance to talk to the one and only Tracy Toms who play Joanne.
Speaker 1: And Rent our wonderful friend. So no movie recap next week, you guys, but if you want to get a head start on your next assignment, for two weeks from now, we're going to be diving into two thousand and seven's Sweeney Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, directed by Tim Broughton.
Speaker 2: Happy wicked week end and week and that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time,