Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind, we have a fun one here for you today. This episode originally published two sixteen, twenty twenty four. It is our episode on nineteen eighties Flash Gordon. This movie is an extravaganza, so we're gonna dive right in, listen to a little Queen and rock out with its cosmic Shenanigans.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and.
Speaker 3: This is Joe McCormick.
Speaker 2: In.
Speaker 3: Today's film on Weird House Cinema is the cheeky nineteen eighty science fiction adventure Flash Gordon, allegedly starring Sam J. Jones and Max Foncito. But I would say more more like arring Brian Blessed and Queen, and boy, what a film this is, you know. I was just thinking about how we cover all kinds of movies on Weird House Cinema. We do good movies, conventionally bad movies, well known movies, obscure gems, big and small, loud and quiet. But lately I think we've kind of been on a streak. We have featured a lot of very big, very loud type movies extravaganzas, if you will, specifically movies like this from the early nineteen eighties that are kind of a weirdness overload. So we did The Apple from the year nineteen eighty, we did Zoo Warriors from the Magic Mountain from nineteen eighty three, and now we're back with another movie of this type yet again from the year nineteen eighty and its Flash Gordon. In the tradition of the other two I just mentioned, this movie is a lot. It is almost overwhelming in its thrilling and hilarious flamboyance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much here. This is the film seen many times over the years, and yet going into it again, you know, watching it maybe for the first time in oh maybe ten years, there's so much I'd forgotten. So there were the big things that I was eager to re experience, and then equally overwhelming things that had slipped my mind, and things that were maybe a little more subtle that are also just as weird and wonderful. So it's quite an experience. You know.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of things I want to talk about with this movie, but one thing that really struck me about it is that, and of course it's not the only movie of this sort, but it felt really strong here is that this is a movie made with a palpable sense of nostalgia. It feels interesting because this now is a movie that's like forty three, forty four years old. Probably a lot of current adults have nostalgia foreseeing the nineteen eighty Flash Gordon movie as a kid. But it's also a project where you can feel how the filmmakers were trying to with some ironic distance, just like shamelessly indulge in nostalgia for a type of storytelling they themselves had loved as children, maybe forty years or so before that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, getting into Flash Gordon's origins as a Depression era comic book, it's passed as a part of these various action serials and so forth. It was a very influential series, a very influential fiction on a number of future filmmakers, future writers, future comic book authors and illustrators, etc.
Speaker 3: Now, this movie is not overtly a comedy. I guess you would say that the genre is science fiction adventure. But it is a deeply funny movie. And you could look at movies like that that are, you know, not overtly comedies but are very funny, as the kind that are intentionally funny and the kind that are not so intentionally funny, maybe the latter category, you know, ed wood films such this movie, though, is very intentionally funny, even though comedy is not its overt category. One way I would describe this is a defining sensation in watching Flash Gordon is the thin clacking sound of plastic pieces of costume armor hitting one another in the battle scenes. Like it feels like a significant choice that there was not an attempt to edit out that plastic clacking sound or to like folly in a weightier sound. It's just part of the magic of Flash Gordon. You are supposed to hear the plastic on plastic grind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point about that. The plastic armor. Gosh, there's so much plastic armor. Yeah. It is an extravagant campy updating again of this old comic book, this old series into a kind of late seventies cinematic vision comes out in nineteen eighty, but you know very much the late nineteen seventies trajectory getting this film made and it is out it out yet another sci fi film of this era that was chasing the hit that was Star Wars MM, which is ironic, of course, because George Lucas was heavily inspired by the old Flash Gordon comic books and actually wanted to make a film adaptation at one point, but the rights were too expensive, so he began an alternate journey that would result in Star Wars and the Star Wars franchise that would spill out of it. In the wake of the success of Star Wars, however, famed Italian producer Dino de Larentz, who've talked about on the show before, picked up the film rights and set out to produce the picture.
Speaker 3: That is funny and Yeah, I was wondering about exactly that kind of thing, because for a long time I've understood that part of the animating spirit behind the creation of Star Wars was an excitement for this type of storytelling that George Lucas remembered from when he was a kid, Yeah, like the adventure serials and stuff, and he wanted to recreate that feeling with his own movie. I don't think I realized that he directly wanted to do an update of the Flash Gordon comics but but that would make a lot of sense. Ultimately we got Star Wars, which is a you know, more new, original kind of thing, which is wonderful in its own right. And then yeah, like so you're saying that the Star Wars that George Lucas had to make because he couldn't make he couldn't get the rights to Flash Gordon ultimately inspired them to make a new Flash Gordon movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Essentially, Star Wars is an evolution of the basic concept. So in a way, what you know, Dealer Interesting sets up to do is kind of it almost feels kind of backwards by comparison, Let's go back to the thing that inspired the amazing new thing and see what we can create. And you know, to their credit, it doesn't feel as much in its substance like a Star Wars ripoff. It doesn't feel like you're chasing Star Wars so much, certainly not as much as other pictures we've talked about. But yeah, with this film have come into being without Star War being the success that it was, he can make a strong argument that it would not. Now, of course, Dino de Lorento's was not going to direct this. You know, it's a predominantly, it's always been a producer puts the pieces together right. At one point he had none other than Nicholas Rogue attached, who of course directed The Man Who Fell to Earth, which we previously discussed on the podcast.
Speaker 3: I love Flash Gordon the way that it is, but I wish we could have seen the Nicholas Rogue version. I'm imagining it would be a lot sadder and more psychologically complex and would have like fifty times more full frontal nudity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there's there's actually a whole special feature about this project that never came to be on the Arrow Blu ray of Flash Gordon, which I watch for this this episode rendered from videodrome. Of course, Rogue apparently wanted to make a big Hollywood picture, and a lot of work went into writing and storyboarding his vision for Flash, and they point out that Rogue was notoriously protective of his vision for a picture. In the end, however, Dino didn't think that his vision was fun or funny enough. It was apparently like pretty serious and you know, just like you'd imagine, it wasn't as campy as what we end up getting, and so he Dino de Lerence is get ends up going in a different direction, someone perhaps more suited in his view for the vision that he sees for Flash Gordon. And also, according to some of the commentators that they talked to in this feature, atte someone who's maybe a little a little more willing to play the game with a producer like Dino. So, yeah, it's always fun to imagine, you know, pictures that could have been, especially with some of these big, big films like this. But you know, it's hard. It's hard to imagine another version of Flash Gordon being as fun as this one is.
Speaker 3: I think that would fully depend on whether they got Brian Blessed or not. And it's sounds like the rogue version of this film, Brian Blessed's presence would not make as much sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is the atlas holding up this picture. I don't have an elevator pitch for Flash here, Joe, I don't know if you if you do it, I mean, it's Slash Gordon. What can I tell you?
Speaker 3: Here's the elevator pitch.
Speaker 1: I love you, but we only have fourteen hours.
Speaker 3: To say the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, all right. Let's listen to the original trailer audio here because and if you haven't seen the film, and there's a lot to see, but still the sonic experience of the trailer is pretty convincing. Clides, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today?
Speaker 3: An obscure body in the SKA system of your majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet Earth.
Speaker 1: I like to play with things. While before annihilation pathetic earthly?
Speaker 3: Who can save you?
Speaker 1: Now? Drange object imaged in the Imperial Botic?
Speaker 3: He said, who.
Speaker 1: The art woman? They paid half for a pleasure? Don't killing yet? Father? I want him to flesh to.
Speaker 3: F can out.
Speaker 1: Side. All right, Well, if you want to go out and watch nineteen eighties Flash and Gordon, there are multiple places to see the film these days. It wasn't always the case. I remember a period of time when I wanted to pick the movie up and I don't think it was available on disc gett. But again, I watched it on the excellent Arrow Blu ray. That Blu ray also includes the full length documentary Life After Flash, amid a bunch of other extras.
Speaker 3: I just streamed it on one of the major services and the quality was good, So yeah, it's out there, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's talk about the people involved here. Okay. So the director ist Nicholas Rode. The director that Dino Dealer NTO has ended up going with is Mike Hodges, who lived nineteen thirty two through twenty twenty two. English director and writer, whose first big film hit was nineteen seventy one's Get Carter starring Michael Kine, followed by seventy two's Pulp, seventy four as the Terminal Man, and seventy eight's Damien Omen two.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's the Omen movie with the like the all Boys Prep School. Okay, have you seen that one?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that. I know you went through a tear with your Omen movies a while back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of years ago, or either last year or the year. Maybe it was just last year. Rachel and I watched all of the Omen movies. We enjoyed the second one. I don't know if i'd say it was good, but we enjoyed.
Speaker 1: I just subsequent credits after Flash included eighty five Morons from Outer Space, eighty nine's Black Rainbow, and two thousand and threes I'll Sleep when I'm Dead. Also, he did some TV, including a nineteen eighty six action movie called Florida Straits with Roald Yulia in the lead role. And he also did two music videos for Queen Flash, which is of course is one of them. The songs from this film as well as body language.
Speaker 3: Weird coincidental or I would assume coincidental double Panos Cosmatos overlap This guy is a movie called Black Rainbow, and in Flash there's a planet called Arborea, which is the name of the center in Beyond the Black Rainbow by Panos Casmonos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those connections are there. I one has to believe they have meaning. Now, apparently Hodges had the right energy for this project, which, according to some of the bits I was watching on the Blu ray, involves a lot of sort of going with the flow on such a large and at times it sounds like maybe slightly chaotic project, you know, because you know, a lot of moving pieces, and I think there were definitely some places where they say that, you know, they had to kind of make things up on the fly to figure out how to piece everything together.
Speaker 3: I think with one advantage of doing a big extravaganza movie like this is that the success of the film doesn't hang so much on the on the story being executed in a coherent way, so like you can have you can have a lot of things kind of like get pieces get moved around and things get messed with, and still over all the experience will kind of work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it doesn't have to be perfect with Flashboard, which is not to discount the talent that went into this film, like so much about the the just the visual flare of the film, and we're not even gonna be able to get into all the names involved there. But yeah, so many pieces do come together perfectly. It's just that you can definitely tell there moments where things feel like certain scenes have been rushed in terms of the overall vision for the picture and the flow of the plot. Uh huh, all right. The screenplay credit goes to Lorenzo Simple Junior Live nineteen twenty three through twenty fourteen, American writer whose credits include one hundred and twenty episodes of the original Batman series, which I think is telling, but also films like nineteen seventy three's Papillon, seventy four's The Parallax View, seventy fives, Three Days of the Condor, the nineteen seventy six, King Calling Movie, nineteen eighty three's Never Say Never Again, and nineteen eighty four Shena. The other writer that's credited is Michael Allen, whose other credits include Enter the Dragon and also a half dozen other titles, but Flash being the biggest by far, and it's where we also should point out that the character Flash Gordon was created by Alex Raymond, who lived nineteen oh nine through nineteen fifty six, an American cartoonist an illustrator who created Flash for King Features Syndicate back in nineteen thirty four. And I believe it was essentially an attempt to like, like, Okay, the competitor has Buck Rogers, we need a Buck Rogers too. Let's make him. Okay, what are we gonna call him? Well, we can't call him Buck. How about Flash? We can't call him Rodgers? How about Gordon? There you go make it work. And it grew from that. All right. Now, getting into the cast here, I'm gonna try and divide it up among our core factions. You know, it's sort of like Game of Thrones here, we have different factions involved. We're gonna start with the Earth Links, all right. First up, we have Sam J. Jones as Flash Gordon born nineteen fifty four, former US marine model and American football player, who was cast in this film over various hot commodities in Hollywood due to his debut in the nineteen seventy nine Blake Edwards ten. His professional life after Flash, which is again is the subject part of the subject of his twenty seventeen documentary, consisted of a lot of TV work as well as films like eighty five's Jungle Heat, ninety two's Maximum Force, and a lot of just you know, general action television action films not necessary like The Cream of the Crop, you know. But he worked a lot more recently. He was in both Ted and Ted two, and he remains active to this day.
Speaker 3: It's easy to see why he was cast when you think about this movie as a comic book adaptation, because he has such a comic book illustration look about him, more so than most biological humans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no denying has a great look. Also no denying that he's rather green. But at the same time, it's it's almost unfair to compare his acting to other actors in the film, because you know he and also is co star Melody Anderson, who will talk about in a minute. I mean, they're in there with just an international cast that features not only like very tenured actors, but also generational talents, and so it's you know, how can you compare one to the other. And then also, and I think this is more important he gets there's a fair amount of fun that's made at the expense of this character and to a certain degree of this performance. But I think it's pretty perfect, right, I mean, what more do you want from the role of Flash Gordon here?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, come on, let's be nice to Sam J. Jones. He does Flash great. You know what, what would you change? What kind of notes are you going to give him?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean if we were talking about Nicholas Rogues flash Gordon, yeah, okay, maybe that's a different animal we're envisioning. But this vision, this Flash Gordon, I think there's nobody else you put in there. I've read that people like Arnold and even Kurt Russell, who would have been interesting in this role. You know that they were up for it, but it just I can't imagine it wouldn't be the same, wouldn't be the same. I'd go as far as to say that Arnold even at the time, would have been wrong for this role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm an Arnold defender. You know, a lot of people make fun of Arnold Schwarzenegger's acting, but I think he's actually a better actor in a lot of ways than people give him credit for. But I don't know if he's who I want. Is Flash?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm definitely not In nineteen eight Now I mentioned Melody Anderson. This is the actress playing Dale Arden. This is the other key Earthling. This is his I guess it's not his girlfriend at the beginning, but becomes essentially the Flash Gordon love interest.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Anderson was born in nineteen fifty five Canadian actress who started off on TV with small parts and shows like Welcome Back Catter, the Logan's Run TV series Battlestar Galactica. She also had a supporting role in John Carpenter's nineteen seventy nine Elvis TV movie.
Speaker 3: Oh Interesting, Did that have Kurt Russell in it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was Kurt Russell as Elvis.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: She followed up Flash with a nineteen eighty one horror movie Dead and Buried nineteen eighty six is Firewalker, and various TV shows she retired from acting in the mid nineties.
Speaker 3: You know, I think Melody Anderson's a lot of fun in this She has the right you could tell she has the right sense of humor in approaching this role.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so I like her in this role as well. All right, So that's two out of three Earthlings. The important third is doctor Hans Zarkoff played by Topol Topel lived nineteen thirty five through twenty twenty three Israeli actor, singer, and illustrator, best known for his starring role in nineteen seventy one's Fiddler on the Roof and his supporting role in nineteen eighty one's For Your Eyes Only. It's been a while since I've seen For Your Eyes Only. He's not the villain in that Bond movie.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, he plays ally. Yeah, he plays a criminal that Bond ends up joining forces with to take out the villain in the end. He's sort of like a lovable rascal smuggler.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Other projects of note include the starring role in a nineteen seventy five Galileo movie, and he also shows up in one episode of Tales of the Unexpected. And I have to say, it's easy to forget about this performance in a movie that features both you know, Brian Blessed and Max Foncido just aim for the rafters with their performances, but Topaul hits the ground running with some just great a ridiculousness, just also just really chewing up the scenery well also later on the picture, you know, breathing varying degrees of not only ham but also thoughtfulness in some of the scenes. So it's he does a great job.
Speaker 3: And you know, for this picture, Yes, I'm gonna say this character in Topoul's performance is all over the map. It's inconsistent, but it's mostly very good. Like he's zany in some scenes, and he brings a very good, convincing zaniness. There is one scene I want to talk about later that I think is just wildly tonally inappropriate for the movie in that it gets very serious and even emotionally moving in a way that does not exactly feel welcome in the context. But it's mostly because of him that it works out that way, and it's quite powerful. Strangely, I think you know what I'm talking about, Like the mind conditioning scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that'll be a good one to talk about, all right, let's get into Ming's court though, this is like the centerpiece of the film. And of course, as we mentioned already, we have Max Foncido playing Ming the Merciless. Foncito lived nineteen twenty nine through twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that has not aged well about this movie is that I think it's pretty undeniable that there are some elements of racial caricature in the way Ming the Merciless is imagined.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is important to note that the character Ming is along with the likes of fictional characters like Fu Manchu and more than a couple of characters from like Marvel Comics and so forth. There are examples of the quote yellow menace trope, and it's also a character here that's steeped in orientalism and racial stereotypes. Various later adaptations of Flash have sought to distance the character from these origins, and I don't know. In this picture we see kind of like a mixed approach there where certain things are done, but also you could make a strong argument that not enough is done, certainly by modern standards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So from what I understand, I'm not deep on a Flash Gordon lore. From what I understand the character is is an alien, so it's not like he is from a country on Earth. But it's just that in the way he is depicted, it relies a lot on like on visual and thematic cues associated with stereotypical Asian villains, mainly Fu Manchu.
Speaker 1: Right right, So that's that's undeniable with this particular film. For a long time, I always felt like, Okay, well, Meeing here feels more Satanic. He feels more like they patterned him after the Church of Satan's founder Anton Leavy. But I was looking into that more recently, and I saw folks online pointing out that Leavey may have patterned his personal look on Ming the Merciless, Oh, because he would have grown up with the old flash comics and and I assume the older film adaptations and serials and so forth. So on one hand, though, if they did do that, if they did say, let's make Meing more like Anton Lavay, well, if Anton Lavay was mimicking Ming the Merciless from the old comic books, then then what are you doing? Just going in a circle at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say that in this movie some visual elements that I think are still being borrowed from the racial caricature version of this character. Are there on the way on the way that Max Foncido is dressed and stuff, but it is not there in Vonsido's performance. Like he's not performing a racial caricature, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 1: Right, He's not doing a voice. He's playing it and he's playing it pretty straight, and really he brings a certain grandeur to the role, like it's it's you know, these issues aside, it's a very fun performance. It's a very you know, over the top and entertaining villain role.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would agree. So it's just it's just a bummer that these elements are still somewhat there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, as for Max foncidoa legendary Swedish French actor, I think everyone has seen something he was in. If you have watched these movies at all, you stand a really good chance because he was active for like seventy years, as his career spanned that long. His Swiss credits go back to nineteen forty nine. Igmar Bergman's nineteen fifty seventh film The Seventh Seal was his real like international breakthrough role, expanding his career to include a host of European and American films. His many films include nineteen seventy three is the Exorcist, nineteen eighty two's Conan the Barbarian, eighty three's Strange Brew just to you know, mix it up a little bit, eighty four's Dreamscape, eighty four's Dune. He is in Ghostbusters too. He's the uncredited voice of Vigo the Carpathian, the real villain of that piece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nineteen nineties Awakenings, nineteen ninety three's Needful Things. He's in the ninety five Judge Dread Movie, two thousand and two's Minority Report two thousand and nine, Solomon Kane. He late, very late in his career. He pops up in twenty fifteen Star Wars, The Force Awakens, and TV's Game of Thrones.
Speaker 3: Wait, I feel like I see more Dino connections here. Didn't Dino de Laurentis produce the eighty four Dune directed by David Lynch.
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think he must have been a favorite, uh of Dinos? Yeah? Interesting, but it's he's he's again one of these actors who drop him in just about anything. Be it something like very serious or something more on the campy, you know, or even blockbuster scale, and he brings he brings a certain grandeur to the role. He brings a certain power in presence.
Speaker 3: He improves anything he's in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so that's Meing the merciless. But Meing has a daughter, and this is Princess r played by Ornella Muti born nineteen fifty five. This is the evil princess, evil seductive princess, very sort of typical role that you might imagine if you haven't seen the film. Muti is an Italian actress's who has worked extensively in Italian TV and film, so a lot of her credits are not things I'm not familiar with, but her early credits include Romberto Lindsay's Oasis of Fear that's from nineteen seventy one. Ray Lovelocke is in that We've touched on Ray love Locke before, but she went on to appear in such films as Tales of Ordinary Madness in nineteen eighty one and the nineteen seventy nine Russo Italian movie Life Is Beautiful.
Speaker 3: She does also some wonderfully comical overacting in this, which again I think is intentional, like the way she's ogling Flash Gordon in the first scene where he comes into the palace throne room is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Now, an, this is essentially our b villain. This is a mean, immediate underling that like Lord's over his secret Police. This is the character Clytis, who is kind of a If you're familiar with this character, think Doctor Doom except gold Mask, and that's essentially who this character is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Great villain, extremely over the top, perfect sardonic vocal performance by the actor here, and also a physical performance which seems unnecessary given how heavy these costumes all apparently were. Like, even if they are made of plastic instead of metal, these were apparently really weighty.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And he also is just like a comical depiction of evil in that he frequently makes statements of disgust whenever someone expresses love or selflessness in any way. You know, somebody is like, Flash, I love you, and he's like pathetic. Yeah, this is a fun performance. The actor here is Peter Wingard, who of nineteen twenty seven through twenty eighteen British television, stage and film actor, best known without the mask for playing the fictional Jason King and a pair of British TV shows.
Speaker 1: His other credits include sixty ones The Innocence and nineteen sixty two's Night.
Speaker 3: Of the Eagle Top Shelf hinge Yes.
Speaker 1: But then there's another hint, and this is kind of Clytus's Hinchman or hinchwoman, and that is Kala played by Marian Glimlato, who lived nineteen forty one through twenty thirteen, an Italian actress whose other credits include nineteen seventy three's Love and Anarchy and nineteen seventy four Swept Away. Both of these were directed by Lena Vertmula. And we're co starring gian Carlo Janini, who, of course great Italian actor who's been in a lot of big international films.
Speaker 3: Yeah she, I guess we're gonna have to say this about a lot of actors in this movie. But she also is doing some very pleasing overacting, just like really punctuated over annunciation of her lines, if you know what I'm talking about. Yeah, uh, it's it's really good stuff. She has a lot of really good lines that get singled out and appear in the Queen tracks. I guess we'll get to that in a minute. But like when dialogue is sampled from the movie. A lot of the dialogue is either Brian Blessed or her saying lines like what do you mean flash Gordon approaching?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's Flash of Gordon. Go big or go home? Shoot for the rafters. Don't leave your subtle acting at home, because that's whatnot that's what That's not what this movie is about.
Speaker 3: And yet the very next actor we're going to talk about, I would say, gives one of the sort of straightest, cleanest performances in the movie. And yet is I would say, quite good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we're getting into the faction of the Arboians, who are I guess you describe them as space elves kind of like what if the Ewoks were British dudes?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly right, Yeah, if the Ewoks were just humans dressed like Robin Hood.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's space Robin Hood's yeah. Yeah. So yeah, we have Prince Baron. Is Baron here Baron? They just say Baron, Yeah, Baron. Prince Baron played by the great Timothy Dalton.
Speaker 3: In this role, he is handsome, swave, dangerous. He's great when he's one of the bad guys, and he's great when he's one of the good guys. I really like him in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's got that swashbucklan mustache. So it's a great look for this film that is ultimately hinging on a lot of nostalgia for the like old action serials and so forth. Totally yeah, so yeah, future James Bond here. At the time, he already had some really impressive credits, including sixty eight's The Line in Winter, seventies Cromwell, a nineteen seventy adaptation of Worthering Heights. Of course, he plays the lead in that. What's his name not Garfield, the other one Heathcliff. Yeah, and he followed Flash up with a number of period pieces for TV before taking up the role of Double O seven for nineteen eighty seven's The Living Daylights.
Speaker 3: Funny thinking about Wuthering Heights because Heathcliff is a classic byronic hero, and Baron in this movie is kind of a byronic hero.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need a character like that in a movie where your other like romantic lead lead guy is just a football beef.
Speaker 1: Man, you know. And I think maybe this comes back to his casting in the James Bond franchise. He only did the two films, the other one being Licensed to Kill from eighty nine the follow up. But he was kind of like a pivot to a more dangerous Bond, right getting away from the Roger Moore series, which I mean a lot of love for Roger Moore, but I think at the time people had kind of maybe had enough of the hammier comic side of Bond, and they wanted something a little harder, which is kind of an up and down trajectory you see throughout the entire franchise.
Speaker 3: Roger Moore is a very languid, dry humored Bond, you know, he's just he's a very raised eyebrow and quip kind of Bond. Timothy Dalton. Yeah, they brought in to be a much darker, meaner, more emotional and dangerous feeling James Bond.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, kind of unpleasant Bond, if you will.
Speaker 3: But in a way that's an interesting place to take the character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And and I remember I was quite a fan of him back in the day because when I was a kid during like my Key Bond movie appreciation period, like he was the new Bond, he was the current Bond, and I remember feeling a bit betrayed when we changed bonds after only two films. I was like, no, this is not You're not supposed to switch out after two You're supposed to keep it, keep him going for just years and years and years.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I could see what you mean, especially because after after him doing two movies, they switched to Pierce Brosden, which was basically a reversion to the Roger Moore bond. Yeah, it's more again the raised eyebrow and the quip.
Speaker 1: And then going dangerous again with the with the harder bond. So I think we're due for a comic bond. I'm people keep talking about, Oh, which which, which handsome fella or or or lady or what have you is gonna play bond next? But really the pattern shows we need somebody funny. We need somebody with that dry wit and.
Speaker 3: Like a bond who doesn't sweat.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: This is the thing about the funnier bonds, like Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore just seems like they move less. They're more just stationary, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, we'll see what they put together, all right. So that's the Prince of the Arborians. They are a bunch of Arborians. But the only other one that really matters for just our quick discussion here. We may touch on some others later on, but we have Richard O'Brien playing the character Fikoh.
Speaker 3: I didn't catch him at first. It took me a bit to realize, like, well, wait a minute, that bold guy's Richard O'Brien.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Born nineteen forty two, the mastermind behind the Rocky Horror Picture Show, in which he also played riff Raff, the future Mister Hand in nineteen ninety eight's Dark City. So it's a very small role, of fun role, and we'll come back to rich O'Brien another time.
Speaker 3: Are we done with the cast yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, because the next faction we can't forget the Hawkmen. Oh yeah, and we cannot, absolutely cannot forget the Prince of the Hawkmen, Prince Voltan, played by Brian Blessed.
Speaker 3: Brian Blessed, did you say.
Speaker 1: That's right? Oh my god? This has any actor ever made such a feast of his lines as Brian Blessed in this film.
Speaker 3: Maybe I've said this before, but he is vomiting digestive enzymes all over the scenery so he can slurp it up like a spider.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is like the galactus of consuming the scenery for sure. Oh my god, every moment Brian Blessed is on screening, this is just amazing, just I mean, a booming actor for starters. Even if you didn't see him, if oh, you've only heard him, if he were voicing a puppet, it would be overpowering. And it's just so intense. But on top of that, you get to see him and he has this, you know, just intense eyes and a laugh that somehow manages to allow you to see all of his upper teeth at once.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. One way I was thinking about it was, you know when there's an actor in a movie who only has one line and they're like a little bit part. They have one line, but they're trying to be really memorable, so they go way over the top. He's like that, except he has like fifty lines and he treats every one of them like that.
Speaker 1: He does Oh my god, like the famous one that will come back to being Gordon's alive. I can't even do it the way he does, like the way he says it. He just complains, you've heard it. It's just how does he do it? I don't know, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: He looks like he has bitten people's fingers off, you know. Yeah, and just imagine somebody got too close and he just chomped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, just amazing physical presence that would be clear. The Hawkmen is well described. But they are wearing like sort of like leather pants and like and belts, and they have big like helmets on with horns, and then they have full sized like eagle wings. So there's a lot going on here in the visual presentation of Prince Fulton.
Speaker 3: A lot of leather straps and stuff, and they've got these clubs that have a hook on the end. It's a very nasty looking weapon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some sort a vicious cudgel. And then I think they all have spraytn on as well. Yes, all right, so we'll keep talking about Brian Blessed. But yeah, he is a legendary actor of stage, screen and TV. A lot of his early roles were on TV shows, such as the nineteen sixty three Musketeers series, in which he of course played Porthos. He was also on The Avengers a few times. Other TV roles include I Claudius in seventy six. He was on multiple episodes of black Adder in eighty three. He was in an eighty three adaptation of the Hound of the Baskervilles. He was on Doctor Who in eighty six. He was on the series Crossbow in eighty seven, and he made a big splash of course, Henry the Fifth in nineteen eighty nine, directed by and starring Kenneth Brona.
Speaker 3: Oh did he play Exeter.
Speaker 1: I had to look it up, but yes, yes, that was the role he played in The Nice Perfect He'd ultimately appear in four of the five Shakespeare films directed by Kenneth Brona, the others being Much Ado About Nothing in ninety three, Hamlet in ninety six, and As You Like It in two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: I can just really imagine him getting mad about tennis balls.
Speaker 1: So really too many things to list here, but we do have to mention that he provided the voice of Boss Nass in The Phantom Menace and continues to do just a lot of voice work, So he's still still active, at least as a voice actor.
Speaker 3: Has anybody ever interviewed him about like what he was thinking going into this role, Like what why did he choose to act to the level that he did.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't see anything offhand. I'm sure someone has asked him about it, but I mean I don't know. I almost like, why would I question the man? Like, yes, he nailed it, you know. I mean, this is a very like loud, boisterous character, and he's just played as loudly and boisterously as possible. Okay, all right, now at this point we're we're gonna skip ahead a little bit again. I'm skipping over so many talented people involved with the visual look of the picture. But we've got to get to the music.
Speaker 3: Oh lord, the music. That's one of the real stars of the film.
Speaker 1: That's right, because now we have sort of two things going on with the music here. We have the more traditional swashbuckling orchestra music in this picture, and it's very effective and again fitting since you know, swashbuckling and so forth. But this is the work of Howard Blake born nineteen thirty eight, whose scores include nineteen seventy Seven's of the Duellists, That's the Ridley Scott picture, eighty three's Amityville three D. And he was nominated for a BAFTA for his work on this film. But the rest of the music is famously the work of the legendary rock band Queen.
Speaker 3: I knew the song the theme song from Flash Gordon, before I knew there was a movie Flash Gordon, Like way back when I was letting like middle school, I somehow was able to download an MP three of the Queen song Flash and not even realize that it was connected to a movie. I just thought there were these wacky lines people were saying in the song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the track as is featured on the soundtrack for the album, which is available you know, anywhere you stream, anywhere you find Queen music, you can find this. It has all these samples from the picture, which in their tremendous samples, like any they managed to fit like so many great lines into the track.
Speaker 3: We get Flash gordons alive, we get what do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching, We get I think Dispatch, Dispatch, war Rocket, Ajax to bring back his body.
Speaker 1: Yes, so many great lines. So this movie in nineteen eighty six is Highlander. Are the only films that Queen ever really worked on in this sort of exclusive capacity, you know, in both cases creating tracks exclusively for these films, with Flash being the only film where Queen contributed not only to the soundtrack but also to the score. This is something I don't think I quite appreciated as much until recently. But yeah, some of the most stirring and just vibe defining tracks in the score for Flash Gordon are Queen compositions.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. So there is the main theme, which we can talk about, I mean that has like singing in lyrics, but there also is a lot of just great sort of mood music, you know, setting the scene for things happening in the plot. That is part of the Queen score. You know, these great these drum tracks when they're like approaching the Imperial Vortex and the you know, the the pulsing synthesizers and all that that are just doing the you know, the regular work that a film score needs to do to put you in the in the right frame of mind for a scene. But it's it's part of what Queen contributed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So the writing credits are broken up a bit, but Freddie Mercury is credited for Ming's theme. This is a blistering synth number that plays whenever, especially the first scene when we see Ming, you know, enter the throne room. And then Brian May is credited on Flash's theme, John Deacon is credited on execution of Flash, and Roger Taylor is credited on in the space capsule the love theme.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how well Queen fits the subject matter. And so we were talking about this on chat before we came into the to the session here. But I was thinking about how part of Brian May's signature guitar sound is that like that harmonized double lead thing where he would, you know, he would multi track lead guitar lines and solos in harmony together, and that it just sounds like Flash Gordon. But he was doing this from before the Flash Gordon soundtrack. He does that on you know, much earlier albums.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, yeah, it's I have to have to admit with Queen, I've I've been a Queen fan since I was a kid, but I've always been a Queen's Greatest Hits Queen fan, So like, there were a lot of tracks I missed out on and had to like re explore later on. And I've never been like like super tuned into like their trajectory from one album to the next. But I was reading an article by an author by the name of Ryan Reid. This was on Ultimate Classic Rock dot com. It came up in search titled how Queen embraced the synthesizer on Play the Game, and this article points out that Queen first embraced the synth on their nineteen eighty album The Game, just six months prior to this film score.
Speaker 3: Mmm, yeah, okay, so they had said I think on earlier albums that they were not really interested in synthesizers like that. They even had one album that in the liner notes it had a little dig that said something like no one on the synthesizer. But then they I guess they came around to it, and you know they use it. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely Again, that ming track Meing's theme alone is just so great and just sets the tone.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of another non musical movie, meaning like a movie where the characters don't sing, that has an original soundtrack with music that has lyrics about the characters and plot, which the title track here Flash does have and doesn't just play in the credits that, by the way, plays within the movie. There are the parts where you hear them singing about Flash. Is there another I can't think of another thing like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to be clear. It needs to be a film. It doesn't not a film that is based on a ballad, but a film that has essentially a ballad that was created to be the theme song for the picture about the main character.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. It'd be like if there was like a Captain America movie that had a song that played what in a scene in the movie with lyrics about Captain America?
Speaker 1: Who? I guess the main example that comes to mind is the theme song to Shaft.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, there you go? Or I can't remember. Does that only play over the credits or that plays in the film as well?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, you know, I don't know that I've ever seen Shaft, but I mostly just heard the theme song.
Speaker 3: Okay, we gotta go back and confirm that. Listeners, if you can think of examples of songs like this, let us know, contact a stuff to blow your mind dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's get into the plot of this baby. Because there's a lot of stuff that happens.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna be able to do the entire thing in exquisite detail the kind of detail deserve. We'll have to skip over some things, but we'll do our best. So it begins with the star field, and we hear the humming of the engines of a starship, and then we hear the voice of Max Foncido, who's again playing the villain Emperor Ming, who says he says, Clitis, I'm bored. What plaything can you offer me today? And the voice of Clyta says, an obscure body in the s K system, your majesty. The inhabitants refer to it as the planet Earth, and then we see giant Sci fi crosshairs zooming in on the planet Earth as it rotates in space, and Ming says, how peaceful it looks. And then we see a close up of a gloved hand with this elaborate chunky ring and the ring lights up, seemingly activating some kind of machinery. Then we see a console with flashing indicators that say things like earthquake, tornado, hot hail, typhoon. What is hot hail? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Will we find out ya?
Speaker 3: And then just here laughter, and Clita says most effective, your majesty, Will you destroy this Earth? And Ming says later, I like to play with things a while before annihilation, and then we begin the pulsing of the theme song by Queen the title screen Flash Gordon, which is written in this great I don't know what you call this kind of font, but it's a it's kind of swooping script with red and gold letters. And then over the credits, we occasionally see television feeds of natural disasters occurring on Earth, intercut with hand drawn imagery from the Flash Gordon comics and the sound of Max Foncito laughing again. He's just back. They're going, Oh, these tornadoes are hilarious. And after the credits finish, we go down to the surface of Earth and we are at some deserted rural airfield where we meet Flash Gordon. Now you might expect him to be doing some heroic or impressive stunt at first encounter, but instead he is sitting in a station wagon reading a newspaper, listening to football on the radio, and watching the hot hail come come down around the car while he's waiting for a flight. So maybe he's more active when he's not waiting for a flight.
Speaker 1: This whole section of the movie, it's it's interesting to look at because this movie knows it needs to get into outer space as soon as possible. It knows that any time spent on Earth in a mundane setting is wasted time for this film. But they've got to do it. They've got to set these characters on Earth before you can place them in this other world. But the clock is ticking and you got to get them there before you lose the audience. And I think it's commendable. They try and keep the pace up.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it moves right along. By the way, I shouldn't mention that Flash Gordon is wearing a T shirt that says Flash.
Speaker 1: He's got a brand he's got to represent, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: We see another passenger who's going to be on the same flight as she arrives in a transport van from a local resort. This is Melody Anderson playing Dale Arden, who we learn is a travel agent, and they exchange a meaningful glance as she passes by his car, and then they both get on the airplane. It seems to be some kind of private flight. It's not a commercial flight. They're like no other passengers, just the two pilots, Flash Gordon, Dale Arden. So the plane takes off soars into the sky. Meanwhile, the ming induced weather gets worse. We see hot coals raining down from the sky and just plunking into bodies of water, leaving these trails of steam and what. In the airplane, the pilots are talking about their famous passenger. One of them says, well, I sure hope Flash Gordon had a great vacation. He's going to have to work hard to top last season. And he's also holding an issue of People magazine with Flash Gordon on the cover. So we learned that Flash Gordon is a famous football player. And I was watching this with Rachel and we were wondering, is Flash Gordon already known to be some kind of hero or savior of the world at the beginning of this movie. Is this like another one of his adventures, or at this point is he simply a famous football player and this movie depicts the first of his world saving adventures. I think it is the latter.
Speaker 1: I think so. Yeah, I think he's football famous at this point.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the plane starts jerking around in the air, and we hear Max Foncito just bellowing laughter again, echoing through every corner of space time, and the turbulence is clearly upsetting Dale, the travel agent, because she is afraid of flying the irony of this is noted, and then Flash goes up to check with the pilots to see if anything is wrong, and he suggests that the air might be smoother at a higher altitude. This amazing early example of arrowsplaning. I think all flights should allow passengers to come up to the cockpit and tell the pilots what they're doing wrong. Anyway, Dale, who appears to be extremely uncomfortable and anxious, yells up to Flash to tell him to leave the pilots alone. So he comes back, and he starts telling her that the plane is bouncing because of turbulence. He's like explaining how turbulence works, and they start chatting and hitting it off. A Flash confesses that he saw Dale at the hotel the night before and ask the matre d who she was, because he was. He's clearly he's smitten. He's like, I couldn't believe a girl like you was alone, and she's, you know, impressed. They're flirting and stuff. Flash talks about how he's taking flying lessons, more about how turbulence works, and then out of the windows the skies turn red clouds of blood block out the sun and somehow ming the merciless appears bodily in the form of a giant meteor in the sky and abducts the two pilots. I didn't quite understand this part. It doesn't seem to fit with anything else.
Speaker 1: This is never explained, But this is what appears to happen.
Speaker 3: Yes, But also like Ming seems confused when they show up later, So it's not like Ming is trying to retrieve the specific plane of Flash Gordon. He doesn't know who Flash Gordon is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems to be a questionable choice.
Speaker 3: So Flash and Dale they go up to the cockpit and pilots are missing, so they try to takeover flying the plane, but it is clear we are headed for a crash landing. Meanwhile, elsewhere, we check in at some kind of remote atmospheric monitoring facility where two scientists are stationed. One of them is doctor Hans Zarkov played by Topol, and we learn from TV reports he is a researcher formerly affiliated with NASA who has been ridiculed and dismissed by the scientific establishment for basically suggesting that all the bad weather is being caused by alien intervention instead of regular physical forces. Zarkov's partner gets woken up when flaming rocks crashed through the skylight and set his blankets on fire. He wakes up Zarkov. They look at their feeds and stuff and figure out what's going on, and the scientists observe that the sun is blotted out due to an unscheduled eclipse. H that's not supposed to happen. The Moon has been spiraling into the Earth, and Zarkov takes of this situation. He concludes, this is it. This is the alien attack. It's begun. All my fringe theories are finally vindicated. So he's got some kind of scheme where he has constructed a secret rocket ship that will be used to fly up into space and counterattack the evil that is causing the moon to spiral into the Earth. But the rocket ship needs at least two people to operate it. I don't know why he built it that way, but that's what he did. Zarkov tries to get his partner, Munson, into the ship, but Munson doesn't want to do this. He freaks out and runs away. Zarkov tries to appeal to his spirit of humanity. He's like, yes, they will probably die on this mission, but they alone have a chance to save the human race. Anyway, this conflict is interrupted by a plane crash. Flash and Dale, their plane crashes into Zarkov's laboratory. Does the plane crash kill Munson? Unclear? We just never see him again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I took it to mean that Munson had just taken it off, but oh, Okay's unclear.
Speaker 3: But Flash and Dale survived the landing. They're fine. They climb out of the plane and meet Zarkov and they're like, can we use your phone? And Zarkov is like, oh, yes, yeah, good to see you. You're well, yeah, the phone is right here inside this rocket ship. So they go and they go inside and then Zarkov confronts them with a revolver, explains his plan, locks them inside, and they blast off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zarkov is just in full mad scientist mode of this whole this whole initial meeting, Like we were saying earlier, this performance, this character is all over the place. But that's where we are now with him.
Speaker 3: He is a mad scientist, but he's like a benevolent mad scientist. He's very committed to like sacrificing his life to save the planet Earth.
Speaker 1: Yes, and his and his plan to save the planet Earth. As we'll find out, he's basically go into space with a pistol and take out who's responsible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, confront the leader of whatever aliens are caused the hot hail and just and shoot them. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, the rocket launches into space and our heroes pass out from the g forces that we see Dale and Flash join hands as they lose consciousness, so they are quickly like they're they're basically already in love there, you know, love story are complete at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're finally like rid of the Earth. At this point, we are successfully in space. We don't have to worry about the real world anymore. It's just going to be aliens and craziness from here on out.
Speaker 3: Disgusting Earth, get it out of here. There's a shot where they're in Earth orbit and we could see like a dozen planets hanging in the background. What what are all these extra planets? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Everything's been thrown into disarray.
Speaker 3: So our heroes are unconscious and we see their space capsule drift through space towards this vast spiraling portal. It's kind of like a whirlpool of color in the void, and then we see a close up of some alien creature in like a command room somewhere. Humanoid face, pale skin, bald head, cold voice, with computerized goggles over his eyes that have all these creepy gold displays on them, and the aliens has strange object imaged in the Imperial Vortex. One thing I noticed. It's out of frame in the screenshot I have for you to look at, Rob, but did you notice the little hood ornament on the top of their goggles has a free Mason symbol on it. It's got the little square encompass.
Speaker 1: I didn't notice it as much here, but I think Clydus perhaps has some symbolisms on him that look like Freemason imagery.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know what to make of that. Somebody snucks them in there. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it seems like they're suggesting that the aliens are Freemasons. Anyway, the spaceship tumbles into the vortex, and this part I thought was just awesome, Like the feeling it creates is so exciting. The score is heavy with synth, bass and drums, and I like the sound of the drums. It's like a very cool like dry top sound with this marching, galloping beat, and in the background, space is represented as this chaotic fusion of colors, like different shades of paint or spilled together and mixing on panes of glass. It's very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a psychedelic liquid light show, like a Joshua light show thing going on. Like that's this movie's vision for what space is. And I have to say I really like it. One of the things that I've liked about like the Spacier Marvel Cinematic Universe movies is that they two varying degrees embrace this kind of like a colorful fantasy space setting for their pictures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great. I mean it's not like your movie needs to be realistic anyway. It's unrealistic in other ways, so why not make it beautiful?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this goes even beyond anything. If you've seen MCU films and you haven't seen Flash Gordon like in this, like you don't even see any darkness of space. There is no darkness in space. Everything is colors and psychedelic intensity. Right.
Speaker 3: So we hear Alien Mission Control talking about this object with Clytis. They are instructed to bring the craft through the sea of fire and land it safely at the palace, and the effect shots here involve a lot of miniature models and sets. As we see the ship approaching on the Ming planet, I think it is the planet called Mango.
Speaker 1: I think I believe so. Or that's the city I can't remember as the planet or the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or they also say Mingo about something I don't know. So they're moving through these little models sets and miniature sets and it's great, stuffed to some degree, intentionally corny looking, I think, trying to invoke a nostalgia for earlier films and serials with corny special effects, but at the same time a spell binding pleasure for the eyes. It is equal parts corny self parody and genuine finesse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of like have excellent craft went into creating these models and sets, for sure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Yeah. So flash Dale and Zarkov they crash land, they're taken prisoner by the Emperor Ming's evil guards, and they are escorted to the heart of the palace and there's like a giant state room that they pass through that has this red and gold motif with these giant statues of Ming's head Some of the soldiers are covered in gold armor that seems slightly Samurai inspired. Others look like old school sardok car and they've got like red robes with hoods with the faces completely hidden behind gas masks.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the gas masky guys that we see. They also have kind of a mobious look to them and remind me of They also look like something that could be a villain from like Super Mario Brothers too.
Speaker 3: They look like they may well be following the smoke to the rift filled land.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, as the heroes are walking through the middle of this massive room full of alien soldiers, Flash and Dale comment that this place looks like quote a police date, and Zarkov says that that could be to their advantage because it will mean they can easily find allies. Zarkov says, look at them, the poor wretches are just waiting for someone to lead them in revolt. And Dale is like, will you stop talking about revolts? I just want to go home.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Another thing we should mention here is this flying robot that occasionally vaporizes people. I think this is called the Imperial Globe. It's like this floating gold thing that has spikes on it, and sometimes it it shoots people with lasers. The globe commands the prisoners to follow it, and on the way to meet with the Emperor, the globe executes another escaping prisoner, a lizard man, and it removes the revolver from Zarkov's pocket. Also, should we take a minute to mention the lizard man in this movie. They are a sort of unexplained faction. But they've got like they're like snakeheads with open mouths that have fangs and their faces are inside the snake mouth.
Speaker 1: It's incredible, like it it's not situation. Oh, it's complex, like it works on several different levels because it's sort of like you have a crappy costume of a lizard in which the person's face is in the mouth, but then they've taken that concept and evolved it to where no, there's like red flesh inside the lizard's mouth and it has two eyes, a nose, and a mouth. Yeah, it's so weird.
Speaker 3: So it's not like a person's face hiding back there. There's like a face represented in the mouth as part of the costume.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, and it's it's equal parts goofy but also like it gets here, your wheels turning, Like, what's going on here? Do these things like manifest the mouth? Is this just for communicating with the humanoid world? Like, what's going on? It's so weird?
Speaker 3: No idea. Anyway, they move on. The Zarkov says here that he's going to sacrifice himself to kill They haven't met Ming yet, so he doesn't even know who Ming is. I guess whoever the boss is of the bad guys. He's gonna do it. He says, it's a quote, it's a rational transaction, one life for billions. But the globe overhears this and destroys Zarkov's gun.
Speaker 1: Oops, now we're back to square one.
Speaker 3: The globe is a real tattletale. This will come up again in the next scene. So we pass on to the Throne room, which is just an avalanche of all these different like characters and aliens, costumes, designs. One type of character in that stands out to me are these guys in red hoods who have the golden skull masks, but they look like sad skulls, so like you know, the eyebrow ridges of the gold skulls are sloped downward as they received from the bridge of the nose, which you know, when the eyebrows are tilted that way, we naturally interpret that as a sad face. So for some reason, these rigid gold masks are sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're kind of like sad muppet skulls, but made of gold.
Speaker 3: Interest weird choice, I don't know. And there's so many other types of aliens assembled here. They're like these people who are like they have like black and white motifs split down the middle of their costume. There seem to be like delegations from the many different planets that are subjugated by the emperor here. But the Emperor demands fealty, and one thing that's for sure is everybody's got to show that they're loyal to him. So when Emperor Ming shows up, everybody starts screaming his glory. They say, Hail Ming, Hail Emperor of the galaxy. And here finally we see Max Foncido as Emperor Ming. He emerges from red fog as if he were the Devil incarnate, and he's bald, he has a goatee, he's very arched eyebrows, and he's wearing this big like red robe with a high collar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again that the queen music that synthesize their track is just blaring and it's fabulous.
Speaker 3: Here we also meet Ornella Mooti as Princess Aura, the daughter of Ming, and when we first meet her, she looks like a walking jewelry display case. It's just like a bikini made of gold and diamonds, and this like crown on the head that's sparkling. From the moment the Earthlings enter the room, she's ogling Flash Gordon. So I think we know what's going to happen here. She wants Flash Gordon.
Speaker 1: One of the interesting things about all of the especially like Ning's Court, there are places where they reference the idea that the human mind is much more limited, it doesn't have the same capacity for thought that these other alien characters have. But these other alien characters, for the most part, don't seem to be displaying like heightened awareness and heightened cognition, Like they're just focused on pursuits like romantic pursuits and pursuits of the flesh and so forth, as opposed to any other kind of like higher functioning that I guess they're supposed to be doing here.
Speaker 3: I don't know, maybe they have extremely standard carnal desires. Basically all the aliens do. None of them are really shown to be, like, I don't know, considering the philosophy of deep space or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, maybe they're doing all that in the background, and that's why everything else is dumped down a bit.
Speaker 3: In this scene, we also meet Peter Wingard as Clytas. This is the figure in the black hood with the spiked shoulder pads, also wearing a rigid gold mask. This mask does not look sad. Instead, it looks kind of coldly curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's his total like vibes of doctor Doom, of destro from g I Joe, that sort of thing. Great presentation here, a golden death.
Speaker 3: You know, I was waiting for his big unmasking scene, but I don't think it ever comes, or if it did, I must have missed it was there. Any time we see him without the.
Speaker 1: Mask, we see some stuff leak out of the mask.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it, all right. We're not done meeting characters. In the scene. We meet a couple of princes. We meet Brian Blessed as Voltan, the Prince of the Hawkmen. We meet Timothy Dalton as Baron, the prince of the Arboreans, I think the tree.
Speaker 1: People, yep.
Speaker 3: And when we first meet these to they are fighting with each other. They're arguing about who gets to present the fabled ice Jewel of Phrygia to Emperor Ming as a tribute. Voltan tries to present it first, but then Barn comes into the room and says, you stole that from me. I unearthed it to give to Ming as a tribute. I saw it first, but then Voltan stole it and they get mad at each other. They're about to duel, but then Clydas shuts it down. He says, no one in the palace dies without a command from the Emperor. And oh boy, Brian Blessed looks so eager to fight. He also, his beard looks so wild. It's very like, I don't know, it's very like not smoothed out. It has the look of like when a cartoon character gets like electrified and like their hair stands on end.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, it's rare to see a picture of him without a full glorious beard, but this one I feel like, Yeah, they made it more bushy than usual. Here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we gotta have a scene here in this big gathering where we witness Ming's cruelty. So we see the prince of one of the assembled peoples here, the Prince of Ardentia named Thun and he's dressed in sparkling gold, and he approached it. He's called up before Ming and he's like, we have suffered greatly since you blasted our kingdom. He says, they don't have any riches to offer, but the Ardentians can offer their loyalty.
Speaker 1: You pointed out that I'd forgotten to mention them in the crew. I mean, there are a lot of actors in this film. We can't mention them all. But this is George Harris playing Thun Born nineteen forty nine. Fans will definitely recognize him as Katanga in Raiders of the Lost Art small part, but a memorable one, and he also played Kingsley shackle Bolt in the Harry Potter films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Prince, he goes up before Ming and he's like, okay, we can offer you loyalty. That's all we got after you attacked us. And Ming commands him to show his loyalty by falling on his sword. So Prince he tries to do it, do a smart double cross, Like he tries to look like he's gonna fall on the sword but then strike out and kill Ming, but the globe robot gets in the way. It like freezes him in place before he can do it, and then Ming kills him with his own sword.
Speaker 1: Purple blood right or blue blood? I can't remember, but some sort of crazy alien colored blood.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, The aliens in this movie have many different colors of blood, except for Timothy Dalton, who appears to have regular He's got like red blood, which makes you wonder, is Timothy Dalton just an Earthling who has been transplanted to Arborea? Don't know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think they would have green blood because it's just you have aliens with all different colored bloods, and I guess you probably have that whole situation going on here where sensors famously are okay with blood if it's not red, you can have as much as possible if it's green, but if it's red and they're like, okay, it's too much.
Speaker 3: Yeah anyway, So our Earthlings watch Ming just murder this guy, and then Flash mutters to Dale, this Ming's a psycho. Then the glow robot overhears him in tattles. It like blares out on the speakers. This Ming is a psycho and they're like, who said that? And now all eyes are on the Earthlings, including Princess Aarra, who is still aggressively ogling Flash Gordon from afar. Gordon does notice this, and he like looks back at her and Dale gets jealous.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Also, they've never explained this really, but Princess Aura just has like a guy on a leash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm pretty sure this is Deep Roy, an actor who's come up on the show before. Again, very very deep Gast on this picture. Among other things, Robbie Coltrane shows up at the airport scene early on in the picture. Hits a blink and you miss it situation, But there's Robbie Coltrane.
Speaker 3: I didn't even notice anyway. So the humans come forward and Ming is like, who are you? Flash says Flash Gordon, quarterback New York Jets. I didn't expect we were going to get a specific team, mentioned, Dale says, Dale, Arden your Highness live and let live. That's my motto. And then Zarkov says, my name is Hans Zarkov. I am a scientist. I kidnapped them here in an effort to save our planet Earth, and Zarkov goes on to say, you know, we're interested only in friendship. Why did you attack our planet? And the Emperor Ming explains his mindset. He says, this is a quote why not pathetic Earthlings hurling your bodies out into the void without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here? If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all, you would have hidden from it in terror. Oh that's a kind of I didn't expect it to go in that direction, but that's that's kind of creepy. It has some cosmic horror going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, there are moments like this in the picture where yeah, it'll get really serious and like, oh man, this meaning is terrifying, and then you know a football game may break out.
Speaker 3: That's right. So well, first, Ming like he looks at Dale Arden and he is suddenly filled with lust and he's like, ah, yes, you are my new imperial concubine now, and he hypnotizes her with his ring and like makes her do this weird slow dance. It is an unusual vibe and Ming, I guess he's happy with what he sees and he's like, okay, she's mine. Now sees her and Flash Gordon says forget it, ming Dale's with me, and then we commenced the football fight. This had to be one of my favorite moments of the movie, where the fight breaks out and the form the fight takes is football more so than you're probably imagining here. So like, at first there, Flash Gordon starts fighting the soldiers and he's having trouble defeating them until Zarkov snatches like an egg from one of the aliens in the room and the egg is basically football shaped and he throws it to Flash Gordon and then this apparently like activates his football brain so he can tackle the bad guys. Rob, I don't know what you want to say about the scene. There is a lot going on and it is really funny.
Speaker 1: Your note on it being more football theme than you can possibly imagine if you haven't seen the film is totally on point, because yeah, it is like a straight up football game that breaks out to the point where there's a There's this one moment where Clyde has like gets some of the cronies and again these are okay, two things. First of all, The aliens who are engaging in the football fight are of like a different type. They have different armor that strongly resembles like football padding.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're dressed up like football players.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then when they when they're getting their butts kicked by Flash, Clydus jumps in and he's like, all right, huddle up. He like does like a football coaching thing where it's like you need to do like this, do this play. And they go out and try it, and it is. It is tremendous fun. It is just absolutely goofy, and it can come as a shock, Like I say, if you kind of like we're buying into ming a few seconds earlier and you're like, oh man, this bad guy's pretty terrifying.
Speaker 3: We go from cosmic horror to football fight in like eighty seconds.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 3: And also in this fight, Dale is doing cheerleader cheers. She's like, go Flash, Go Flash. Also, Brian Blessed likes what he's seeing. He keeps just like watching the fight and grinning gigantic toothy grin, casually intervening here and there to help out Flash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tripping a few aliens us, I think he uses the cudgel on them. A little bit too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's doing it like on the sly. I guess they didn't get caught. But unfortunately this fight ends with Flash getting knocked unconscious. I think Zarkov like screws up and it's his fault. And so Ming is victorious over the Earthlings. And Aura goes up to Ming and she begs him to give Flash to her, even though she's already engaged to be married to Prince Baron Timothy Dalton. She's like, no, give me this other husband as well. I will marry both of them. But Ming refuses. So Zarkov is taken away by Clytis to be conditioned for the Imperial Secret Police. Flash is to face public execution later that night for his defiance of Ming.
Speaker 1: The football rebellion is over.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so yeah, they're they're imprisoned and condemned. So we get one. One scene that comes up soon is this little well. First, there's a there's a moment with Prince Prince Baron and Princess Ara where he says he doesn't trust her, but she convinces him to go back to Arboria tonight and she will come and meet him there with a surprise and then we see Flash in prison in Ming's dungeon here wearing one of the best helmet mask things I've ever seen. It looks like a like a giant die of some kind, and it's got spikes shooting out of it where his face would be. I don't is if that's like to prevent anybody from getting close to his face. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Or maybe it's because if he runs away, he'll like stick into the wall and then he can't move. I don't know. It looks impressive, though.
Speaker 3: So as a final request before his execution, he tells Clydas that he wants to see Dale, and they're given a moment together, and Clydas, of course regards it as pathetic that they are in love. And Dale comes in in her emperor's concubine uniform and the first thing Flash Gordon says when he sees her is you look great? That about adis rolling on the floor. You look great anyway. They say that they hope this is only a bad dream. You know, soon they'll wake up, and Flash tells her, you know, after he's dead, she's gonna have to meet up with Zarkov to find a way to save the earth. So we go to the execution and it's going to take place in this chamber that's like a hat. It's like a glass hemisphere with this chair where this like yellow smoke comes out out that is apparently some kind of poison that will kill Flash Gordon. The execution scene set is actually gorgeous, with these clouds blooming in the sky and all these bizarre costumes. It's really again one of the many feast for the eyes scenes here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a cross between church and a gas chamber exactly.
Speaker 3: And the Imperial Surgeon is a character we meet in this scene. He's dressed in like white robes. He looks very boring compared to everybody else around him. He's like the square in Ming's palace. And we see him slip Flash Gordon some kind of secret medicine before the execution. And there's a great moment in the scene where I think we see Dale and Zarkov and they're watching Flash Gordon be prepared for execution and they're crying, and Princess Ara says to Ming, look, water is leaking from her eyes. In Ming says it's what they call tears. It is a sign of their weakness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is I mean ultimately an important theme in the film is that what humanity offers is is compassion and reason and that's what that's what's ultimately going to win the day, and that's that's ultimately what Flash has. That is his superpower, but it's not helping him out a lot right now.
Speaker 3: Right well, No, in fact, what helps him out right now is that he is good looking, and Aura is obsessed with him because she, in fact has gotten the Imperial Surgeon to give him an antidote that will protect him from this yellow smoke that is supposed to poison him. So he just like gets knocked out by it, and we come back to him later in this room where his coffin is laid out next to like a stylized custom tombstone that says Flash Gordon Earthling executed by.
Speaker 1: Ming oh man. That's so good it's its branded.
Speaker 3: So they wake him up and the Imperial Surgeon is like, I'm a fool doing everything you ask for Aura, and she kisses him and she's like, Yep, you're a fool. You're gonna do everything I say, and so he scurries off and Flash awakens wearing weird plastic underwear, and Aura kisses him and tells him she has revived him with magic, and she's like, quick, put on this uniform before the lizard men arrive to bury you.
Speaker 1: Everyone is if you're executed by Ming, you are buried in hotpants. That seems to be the tradition.
Speaker 3: Yes, and as oh, by the way, I mentioned this scene coming up. As Aura and Flash are escaping the palace, they pass by a room where doctor Zarkov is strapped to a table with some giant beam emitter aimed at his head and she's like, oh, it's only conditioning, come on, And so they leave. Aura and Flash leave the palace, but then we zoom in on this room where Ming and doctor Zarkov are talking, and Ming explains his whole plot. He says, quote, every thousand years, I test each life system in the universe. I visit it with mysteries, earthquakes, unpredicted eclipses, strange in the wilderness. If these are taken as natural, I judge that system ignorant and harmless. I spare it. But if the hand of Ming is recognized in these events, I judge that system dangerous to us. I call upon the Great God Diezan and for his greater glory and for our mutual pleasure, I destroy it utterly, and so Zarkov realizes. He says, you're saying it's my fault. The earth is being destroyed, and Imperi Ming says, precisely, it's a real bad twist. But then they explain, okay, they're going to empty his memory as we might empty your pockets. They're going to steal all his memories out of his mind. And then we get this brain wiping scene where we see, like, as this beam is beaming at his head, we see on a television screen Zarkov's whole life playing like in super speed in reverse. We see all these formative memories, personal tragedies, family struggles. So in the middle of this goofy movie, this sequence is strangely powerful, mostly because of the way Topaul performs it. We see him like losing his wife in a horrible accident, we see his family suffering under the Nazis, and finally he regresses to being a baby and he just says, Papa, Papa. I don't know what to make of this. I would say it is wildly tonally inappropriate for the for the film, but it's also quite strong. It's strangely moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is exactly how I've always felt about this, or that's the way I feel about it now. I remember seeing this when I was a kid, and this scene was like kind of disturbing, you know, because it's it's you're used to seeing characters vaporized by lasers. We've seen it already in this picture, you know, run through with swords. But this is just this is this is rather poignant and disturbing. And yeah, we just had a football fight, now we're having this. So it seems like something that maybe he should have been cut or maybe should have been saved for another movie. But again, the performance is so solid. What can you do? And and and the way they the images are cut together with other like random images of like cats and faces, it's yeah, it's quite troubling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say it's like really good, but it doesn't belong here.
Speaker 1: It's so weird, like this belongs in the Nicholas Rogue movie that he didn't get. This needs to be in that alternate reality.
Speaker 3: So back to the goofy stuff. We see Flash on Aura's rocket ship. They're going to ar Borea, and this is the scene where he like, you know, he'd like endangers the ship in order to convince her to allow him to use the thought Amplifier, which is like a telepathic communicator machine, to contact Dale telepathically and let her know he is still alive. She's hanging out with I guess Ming's other concubines, and she she's just like she thinks he's dead, but this conversation lets her know that he's alive, and she she sort of gets the idea, Okay, I got to escape here and do something now, Flash and Aura. They go to this place ar Borea. This is like a moon or a planet characterized mainly by trees. It's sort of an Ewok village, as we were saying, but full of people, including Timothy Dalton and Richard O'Brien, and we witness this interesting ritual when they first arrived there where like a young man, he says, I am now of age, greenfather, I ask for the test of manhood, and this ritual commences where he has to go around this like tree root and reach into one of many holes in it. If he reaches into the wrong hole, he will be stung by this weird tree beast. It's like a scorpion inside the tree that has a venom that tortures people with madness until they die, and he does get stung. So this kid is like Timothy Dalton, you must end it now, and Timothy Dalton Mercy kills him. And this is apparently they're they're very harsh initiation into adulthood and their society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tree Beast sequences are very memorable. In fact, I was watching this with my wife last night. She'd seen it before, and I was at one point we reached we reached a point in watching the film where I was like, Okay, do you want to go to bed and I can finish it in the morning, And she's like, no, I need to stay up at least until the tree Beast scene happens, at least until they started sticking their arms into the big stump. So we ended up watching the whole thing. But that was nice, one of her favorite scenes.
Speaker 3: It is quite mean. They're actually a couple of these scenes. So we see this other guy failed to test early on, and then Aura dumps dumps flash on this planet. He's like, Barn, take care of him. I've got to go back and do other things. I'll be back and Barron does he like this? Of course not. This is like my fiance's other boyfriend just has to hang out with me. Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he's gonna instantly orchestrate his death.
Speaker 3: Right, So they like put him into this cage that gets lowered into the green swamp below the trees, and he's there with these other prisoners. Oh, it's a very it's a very unpleasant set piece. They're like up to their shoulders just barely trying to keep their heads above water. Meanwhile, there's a there's a great escape scene where Dale she's like, Okay, I gotta get out of here. So she orchestrates an escape where she they bring her this kind of like drug, this like drugged beverage, and they're like take it, you know, it makes everything feel good, And so she's she gets the servants to drink it instead, they fall unconscious. She swaps uniforms with them, escapes the escapes the palace by like doing some real moves. I didn't expect Dale to become such an action hero in the movie, but she's like running around beaten up and blasting a bunch of the soldiers on her way out.
Speaker 1: No explanation whatsoever for it, but that it's fun.
Speaker 3: Great. Yeah, it's like halfway through the movie they just decided, wait, what is she not just a damsel in distress like she you know, she she's kicking butt too. As you said, it is not explained, but okay, great, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's because she drank a little bit of that potion from the Galaxy Pleasure or wherever they said it was from, and so she drank just enough to give her like super combat the skills, and that's what we see here.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah. So she meets up on her way out of the palace with Zarkov again, which at first we worry is agent Zarkov an apparently brainwashed drone form Ming and Ming thinks this guy is working as a double agent. But once they're out of the palace, Zarkov has this moment where he reveals he is still himself and he still has all his memories. He I couldn't fully understand it, but he says like he was able to resist the brainwashing by holding onto memories including I think, the theories of Einstein, bits of the Talmud, and songs by the Beatles. And then he says that like spoke focusing on these specific memories allowed him to keep all of his memory and knowledge. He says, it's you can't conquer the human spirit.
Speaker 1: The performance sells it, yeah, but it is a complete turnaround because it's just like, oh, yeah, all that you thought happening not happening. Fine, disregard it. I'm good.
Speaker 3: So, like Ming, Calla and Clydis learned that Flash Gordon is still alive. They're very unhappy about this, and they learn he's still alive due to the intervention of a trader, and Ming authorizes Clydis to discover who the trader is no matter where the trail leads, by any means necessary. So this leads to the torture scene of Princess Ara. Clydas has her like chained up and they're torturing her for information. They're like, where is Flash Gordon? Where did you take him? Clydus seems to be kind of enjoying this because he's he's portrayed to be somewhat of a creep when it comes to aur and uh, then it oh, there's the part it gets to where he's like, bring me the bore worms and she goes, no, not the bore worms. Ara has has multiple lines where she just has to make very very straight reference to the horror of the boar worms. It'll come up again.
Speaker 1: It works. I mean, it builds up a sense of fear of these worms that we will never see, never see. Yeah, I mean, maybe Dino came in. He's like, Okay, look, I gave you the cage lowered into the swamp. I gave you the tree beast, but we can't have bore worms. We're at the very limit of the budget right now.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the swamp, there's like an escape scene where they get Gordon out of the cage in the swamp, but then Timothy Dalton confronts him and they're like, okay, we're gonna make you do the tree beast test, and he does pretty well, but eventually this escalates to a fight and flash Gordon has to like pull a sword on Timothy Dalton and try to escape, but then he gets caught in the swamp by some kind of giant monster that's like gobbling him up. And Barren, I don't know how to even describe this thing. It's like a big sack that has bamboo legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's monstrous and it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's a monster, it's a space monster. It's not supposed to do.
Speaker 3: So Timothy Dalton comes it kills the monster, and then you think he's about to kill Flash Gordon. But then I don't even remember what happens here. Is it that the Hawkmen show up and stop him from killing him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the hawk Men come at that point because they're here for Flash, and the hawk Men are still trying to play right by Ming. They're not an all open rebellion. This is all heading to, of course, open rebellion, but right now there's still division between these factions that will eventually rise up together against me.
Speaker 3: Our Earthlings are constantly trying to appeal to the factions to band together and fight against Ming instead of being loyal to Ming and fighting each other right, and they are eventually able to convince them, But before that we get to the trial by combat scene, which is another one of the best scenes in the movie Flash Gordon. I've said this before on the show that a lot of times action scenes are boring because a lot of times they are it's just you know, like close ups of people shooting and things exploding, the lax drama. Flash Gordon is not like that. The fight scenes are some of the best stuff in the movies. The fight scenes are so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this one especially. So it's gonna be trial by combat in the Hawkman floating city. Yeah, and there are a few steps to get get where we're gonna go with this, but it's like Barren is going to be tried and executed, but it's going to be trial by combat. Who's he gonna fight. Seems like he's gonna probably fit. Uh, he's gonna probably pick Brian Blessed. Right, he's there, he has his cudgel, he's eager for it, but no, he chooses Flash Gorton. He's like, I will fight him.
Speaker 3: So they put them out on this disc in the middle of a void, and so the Hawkman Palace is like up at the air, so it's like they got the moon door basically, and they're on this disc there and while and they're fighting with whips, Flashboard and then Timothy Dalton are whipping each other on this disc and then Brian Blessed it's this remote control that allows him to tilt the disc around and make spikes come up out of the bottom of it. So it's just it's extremely chaotic and it's very very fun, and the fight ends with a I think a super well earned reconciliation. So Timothy Dalton is defeated at the end of the fight. He's like about to fall off, but Flash goes to save him. He's like, we can be friends, we can work together, and you know what, bye, Gollia. I'm there. I think this this friendship arc has been earned.
Speaker 1: It really was earned here in this scene. Great fight with whips of all things. Even going back into this, when I saw the whips come out, I'm like, oh lord, you know, not swords but whips. But it works. They make it work. It's well choreographed. The pail feels real, and then yeah, it's earned. It's a whole it's a we can live moment. To call back to robot jocks.
Speaker 3: My god, you're exactly right, except instead of saying no, we are dead, we are robot jocks, he says, okay, yeah, we can live, we can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is also the scene where in the middle they're like fighting and Dale Arden yells a Flash, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the earth. Because oh, I haven't even mentioned this but the moon is spiraling into the Earth, and Zarkov determines that they only have fourteen hours before it cannot be stopped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he set a timer earlier, or he will set a timer in a bit so that we'll stay on top of this whole Moon Earth situation.
Speaker 3: So I think we got to go a little bit more lightly over what happens from here, because I know we're running up on time. But oh my lord, there's a lot of a finale, a lot of final conflict here. So like Ming's forces come to attack the Hawkman Palace, and one of the things that happens here is that mingko. Oh well, we do get the death of Clytis. How does that happen?
Speaker 1: Oh well, he shows up, he's upset about this whole scenario with these warning factions suddenly joining forces. He gets thrown out. There's like a double team, and he eventually gets thrown out onto the spy platform run through, and we do get that scene of his mask doesn't come off, but we see like his eyes and his tongue like melting out through the mask. Yeah. Gross ending, But this is an evil dude, so you know, yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 3: And then Ming is like, Flash Gordon, everybody else can leave, you know, take the prisoners back to my palace. Flash Gordon, I would like a word with you. And then he offers Flash Gordon to be the Prince of Earth.
Speaker 1: The last temptation of Flash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. He's like, how about this. I make you the Prince of Earth, and all of the people of Earth must serve you and be your slaves, and you you just must be loyal to me? How about that? And Flash is like, no, I won't do it.
Speaker 1: It's a creepy scene because Ming is saying things like, oh, they'll be different once I'm done with them, They'll be easier to manage, yeah and all that. Yeah, Flash is our hero. He doesn't want any part of that, he says.
Speaker 3: No, I think Ming says that he will condition the people of Earth to be satisfied with less.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what he says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no, Flash would never do that.
Speaker 1: All right. So Flash is left on the Hawkmen floating castle thing and they're gonna blow up, and Ming's force to start blowing it up. But fortunately he finds a rocket slid, which is kind of like he finds a jet ski. It's a jet ski. It's a space jet ski. I don't know why the hawk Men need a jet ski. They have wings that allow them to fly through space, but it's it's fortunate for our friend Flash here, who has no wings.
Speaker 3: And ultimately this all culminates in like the factions are going to band together. He Flash convinces Brian Blessed and the Hawkmen to like all work together to go oppose Ming.
Speaker 1: That's right, just as Ming is about to get married to our heroin. So you know, a lot of things predictably coming to a head.
Speaker 3: Here, that's right. So several things are happening here somehow. I think the Zarkov and Timothy Dlta are in the dungeon together in the palace, and we come in on them, and Timothy Dalton's like, tell me again about this Houdini man, And but they get what happens?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 3: They get rescued by Princess Aura?
Speaker 1: I believe? So, yeah, she completely turns face at this point, and she's working for the good guys.
Speaker 3: We've been told that she's gonna be punished for her treachery by like being sent to a planet where she will she will like freeze and suffer, and I guess this will like purge her mind of all disloyalty. But before that happens, I don't know, She's just wandering around and she yeah, she rescues them, and then they go and do some fighting inside the palace to like sabotage Ming's defenses and General Kala and all the guys with goggles on their eyes, and there's a great moment where a guy gets the goggles pulled off of his head and we find he has no eyes underneath. It's just like sockets full of wires.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and they're all interconnected, so they all short out and die.
Speaker 3: So the Hawkman and Flash or attacking first the ship that's out there, General Kalo's ship, and then they're attacking the palace while this wedding is happening. And I noticed something about the wedding. The sniveling, obsequious priest performing the marriage ceremony, he seemed familiar to me, and I was like, wait a second, is that Delbert Grady from The Shining And yep, that's right, it is Philip Stone, British character actor who was also in a couple of other Kubrick movies. He was in a Clockwork Orange and he was in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. He's like the British Army officer, but I caught that I caught something about his voice and his eyes there good eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a very small role, but it's also very fun. This is a kind of predictable comedy here with your tyrannical ruler going through some vowels with his soon to be forced wife.
Speaker 3: Yes. The priest is like, do you Ming, the merciless ruler of the universe, take this earthling dale Arden to be your impress of the hour? And Ming says of the hour? Yes, And the priest is like, you promise not to blast her into space? And then Ming like glares angrily at him, and he's like it untils such time as you grow weary of her and promises I do another great scene in this in this whole like assault on the palace at the end is the like the codes have changed and so have we moments.
Speaker 1: Oh god, this is my favorite, favorite, one of my favorite moments. Upon this rewatch Like it's not effects, it's it's just like really weird writing. And this this feels very improvisational, like they realized they needed something to get him from point A to or point are to point as wherever we are in the transition here. But yeah, they're like, oh, well we got to open this lock that the locks have changed. And then they're like, oh, well you know I've changed too, how about you? Yes, I've changed. It's like this moment where they're using a change in passcodes to quickly comment on their own capacity for change as human beings. It's just so dumb.
Speaker 3: I love it that that scene is between Princess Ara and Prince Baron. I guess it's like their sort of reconciliation. And then meanwhile Zarkov is in the back like trying to hack the terminal here, and he's like, I haven't changed.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what was going on with the scene this was there's something If this was improved or there was something lost in translation, I don't know, but it's great.
Speaker 3: The way that Ming is defeated in the end is so good. It is that the ship crashes into the wedding ceremony and the ship has like now that it has been taken over by the Hawkman and Flash Gordon, and it's got like a big prong on the front of it, and it just like stabs ming through the stomach like the spaceship skewers him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like upper like not quite through the heart, like he's a vampire, like a little lower than that, but still vampire slaying esque. So it's uh right as he's turning away from it. So it's a pretty great villain skewering scene. And then there's the you know, the sixth scene where he like pulls himself off of the impalement and I forget what color is it? Purple blood? It's one of the alien colored bloods, I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And then he tries to use his his chunky magic ring to to fight back against Flash Gordon, but no, he can't win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's weakening, and then he just kind of blinks out and the ring falls to the floor.
Speaker 3: So it's a happy ending. It seems a Flash Gordon, isn't Is he like declared the new emperor or something. I don't know if he would take the job.
Speaker 1: But now I think Timothy Dubbon is the new emperor, right, and then Brian Blessed is the new general. Yes, I can't imagine anything going wrong with this scenario, but for the moment things are united and peaceful.
Speaker 3: But we get the end question mark with just like ming laughter echoing into eternity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get the close up with that ring and some dust being blown away. So yep, it looks like there's gonna be a sequel, except there was never a sequel.
Speaker 3: Ah. Well, Rob, I'm glad you suggested Flash Gordon this week. This one was was such a delight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a lot of fun. I feel like listeners have have requested this one in the past as well. It's a pretty pretty obvious picture to hit on the Weird House Cinema journey, and I'm glad we did it.
Speaker 3: Agreed.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll go ahead and close out here, but as always we invite you to write in. We'd love to hear from you about your experience with this film, your your thoughts on the film, your history with the film, and so forth. A reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursday's been on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you want to see a complete list of all the movies we've covered so far. You can go to letterbox dot com. That's L E T T E R box d dot com and you can find us there a weird Weird House that's our user handle there, and we have a list of all the movies we've covered and you can toy around with that. You separate them, buy genre and so forth, and see what we've been up to, and sometimes there's a peek ahead at what's coming up next.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.