Speaker 1: What's up, guys. Just a reminder to all of you that upcoming on Tuesday, July the twenty eighth, So just a little over a week from now, we've got our next Mariner's Live event and it's a Mariner's Trivia night over with our friends at the Emerald Queen Casino for Mariners Dodgers again. Tuesday, July twenty eight We're gonna be given out prizes doing Mariners Trivia with all you guys. We're gonna watch the Mariners Dodgers game at the conclusion of the trivia and we can't wait to see you guys all there. That last event we did at EQC was a blast. We're fired up to be hosted another and we'd love to see you guys come out for it, so market on your calendars Tuesday, July twenty eighth. It'll start at six pm six pm over at the Emerald Queen Casino.
Speaker 2: Welcome to episode number four thirty one of the Marine Layer podcast. Lalanar are both back from Philadelphia and we'll react to the Mariners taking two of three the first series of the second half against the Giants.
Speaker 1: Reminder of you guys, just make sure you're downloading these podcast episodes. If you're listening, go hit subscribe. If you're watching on YouTube, you can go check out our website marine layerpod dot com, where you'll find episodes, podcast merch, Patreon. It's all over there marine layerpod dot com, and find us on social media. We're posting content every day and we're everywhere across all platforms at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 2: Let's get it rolling and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network. Recording here on Sunday evening, July nineteenth. We are back in Seattle. Thank goodness. That was a lot of travel. Doug, how are we feeling?
Speaker 1: We're pretty good. Well, I'm not inspired after another weekend of Mariners baseball, but like health wise good, How are you feeling?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm great. I've been back since Wednesday.
Speaker 1: That's not you, No, that's true. I did some extra travel because I had a wedding to be at this weekend, and then I flew home just a little while ago. As we're sitting here recording, I gotta tell you, people want to start off this podcast with a bang. Boy, Do I have a flight story? Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I think so, so.
Speaker 1: I tell people to buckle out. Well you can be the judge.
Speaker 2: But well you don't like to buckle up on planes.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. Okay, at least get with me on this. I know we talked about the whole what is the point of a seatbelt on a plane debate a couple episodes ago. How about this? Why do they leave the seat belt sign on after you've landed and like you're taxiing on the tarmac at five miles an hour? That's crazy.
Speaker 2: In case someone crashes into you. I don't know, man, it's precautionary. You're moving like five miles an hour. I'm just saying it's precautionary.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I am at opa.
Speaker 2: Why do they have the glass up on the windows when you're going five miles an hour?
Speaker 1: I mean, well, that's stuck there. You can't remove a window. You can remove I'm joking. Anyway, I'm at O'Hare. I'm getting ready to fly back to Seattle. And who do I see at the gate? Or he was coming out of one of the restaurants or something at the gate getting ready to fly back to Seattle. Kevin fucking Mather. Dude, this guy I'm not kidding. And then he was too rows ahead of me on the flight. I was right at the start of coach. He's obviously sitting in first class. He's right there. Sometimes every now and then I think to myself, what was like I do these days? I honestly wondered if he was still in Seattle. I guess he is.
Speaker 2: This begs the question, why didn't you go up and talk to him?
Speaker 1: I know, honestly, as especially kids, especially considering he's not a member of the franchise anymore and a member of the organization, there's absolutely nothing he could do. There really was a part of me that wanted to go up to him and just say, hey, man, like this team's miserable to watch.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he would say something about the Mariners. I mean, the dude was in charge of the Mariners for how long, like a decent bit of time, And if he didn't want to talk to you, Lyle, he would have said, no, nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, yeah, that's it, Okay, I will say maybe it's me overthinking, maybe it's not. But there was a point where I had to go use the bathroom and I actually passed him walking back to my seat midflight, and he did like a double take up. He kind of looked once up just to see who was walking by, and then he goes he looks again, and I'm like, oh, you know the meme of the guy that's doing the eye kind of the side eye, and it says does he know? It made me wonder does he know? Does he know the marine layer pod.
Speaker 2: This again begs the question of why you did not go up and talk to him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I probably should have. People can drop in the comments if I made the right choice just ignoring him, or if I really should have gone up and said something to him. But here's the thing, what are we saying to this guy? I joke to you half jokingly, it actually would have been a hilarious thing to pull off, especially since again he's not a part of the organization anymore. You're a hat guy. You pack hats. I don't if I had a hat, what if I just stuck it out to him and said, hat in hand, baby.
Speaker 2: Well, then I don't think you would have talked to you. But what would he just like walked up and said, hey, man, I recognize you for your time with the Mariners. How do you think you're playing how do you think they're playing nowadays?
Speaker 1: Like that's it. But we're like treating this guy cordially. I mean, this is a man who was kicked out of the organization for saying things like Julio's English sucks and we manipulate service time and we don't want to pay for Ewa Kuma's translator.
Speaker 2: Okay, but like, what's the goal the goal? If the goal is having a conversation, you need to be conversational, are we If you're going to go to him and make a joke, then like then you get your joke off, but you don't actually get to talk to him.
Speaker 1: But what conversation would you have with this guy? I don't know. Man, you were the one there at the gate, I know. And if I was gonna say there, there are some great bullshitters in the world.
Speaker 2: Lyle where they will, they will, they will talk to.
Speaker 1: Anybody who's who's who's a good bullshitter?
Speaker 2: Anybody. There are lots of them out there.
Speaker 1: Dude. It's not like again, it's not like somebody that retired out of the organization and is just now no longer working there. But left on positive terms. This guy, like, we know why he's not there anymore, which is why I don't feel like I could have a real conversation with him. If I was gonna go up to him at this point, you would have to get some joke off. I absolutely if I was going to talk to it all would have done something like the hat in hand thing. And for context, for those who don't remember, during that infamous zoom call with the Rotary Club, he said that they believe free agents were going to come hat in hand to them begging for contracts.
Speaker 2: Did they come hat in hand?
Speaker 1: No? No, I mean they don't.
Speaker 2: They maybe just Robbie Ray, but that's it.
Speaker 1: I think no. Well, because they paid Robby Ray real money. They didn't offer most of those guys real money.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had not seen his face since that Rotary Club call, So when you send it to me, it did take me like a couple minutes of like I really zoomed in on his face and I'm like, who is this? It's Chicago. It's like, is he sending me a pick of like Abe Toro getting on a flight back to Seattle with him? That's just undercover, Like, no, that's not Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: For a second, I thought you were trying to send me Chris Larson. But I was like, from everything I know, like Chris Larsen usually dresses, Uh, what's a good way to describe how Chris Larson dresses. As someone who's never physically seen Chris Larsen in person, he doesn't usually dress up that much. And no, this guy looks too well dressed.
Speaker 1: You would know Chris Larson dresses like he has no money rather than dressing like a billionaire.
Speaker 2: Right. But I was like, no, this guy looks a little bit sharper. I was like, oh, yeah, yep, that's Kevin Mather.
Speaker 1: Yea, that is Kevin good lord. I could not believe that shit. When I saw it on here on Sunday flying back, I was like, there's no way that's who I think it is. There's no way.
Speaker 2: And it was you could ask him what he was doing in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Again, Are we having a real conversation with this dude?
Speaker 2: Like? It just I guess it just depends what you want of it. I told you, at the very least you need to go get a photo with him.
Speaker 1: That Okay, Now that would have been hilarious. And I do a really cheesy, dumb smile. It's like, hey, man, can we think of selfie like that'd be awesome. Now, imagine the numbers that would do if that was put out onto the Internet of me just like just there, dude, that would have that would have popped off Mariner's Twitter, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Do you ever think of what would have happened if Kevin Mather never got on that rotary call? Where the Mariners would be today?
Speaker 1: I mean, probably not in a better spot. It really is amazing. It really is amazing that guy was the president of the team for as long as he was, because we don't have to get into the whole history and we are going to talk about the Mariners and Giants here in a minute. But you know, there's like other things he was talked about doing in his time that were that were not good, A real problem. Yeah, So it's incredible. I don't know what the hell this guy's doing now. I mean, he clearly has money. I was trying to almost like watch what the hell he was doing on his flight, just to do some big jay journalism and report back to the people. He was like doing the the uh sudoku for a while and he had a book and then he uh, I mean, I don't know, he was on his phone for a little while, but yeah, he was doing Oh he was reading the Chicago Tribune, like straight up, like reading the newspaper. I was like, all right, Like he's got the whole freaking newspaper like folded out on the flight. It's like, it's probably an online article for this.
Speaker 2: This is a big j journalist right there.
Speaker 1: Listen, we report to the people. Man, We're for the people. This is this is what you don't get on other outlets. A five years later, where in the world is Kevin Mather report?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'd almost forgotten about Kevin Mather until that picture popped up on my phone today. Like he's just not someone that enters my mind very much these days, given that he's been essentially absent from the public eye ever since that call. Well, the Mariners at one press conference where they announced he had they had mutually part way parted ways, and then all of a sudden, he's gone.
Speaker 1: Well he returned in a big way today just to get on the marine layer pod. Five years later.
Speaker 2: You were you were in the right place at the right time, bog Me. It was always destiny. You had to go to this wedding so we could get this piece of content.
Speaker 1: Dude, I just like couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that today. I was just like, you gotta be kidding. I was like, what is this guy? Like again, I don't know what he's doing in Chicago, but yeah, like I was, I mean, like you, it's he's not on my mind every day. But when I saw him, I was like, good lord.
Speaker 2: I was like, of course, last thing before we actually talk about baseball, so you did have to make a best man speech at this wedding. Mm hmm. I'm curious how many times were the Mariners mentioned and how many times were Dan Wilson mentioned.
Speaker 1: You know, it took a lot of strength and a lot of will and a lot of effort, but slightly, like, just ever so slightly. I made sure to not make it about me in that moment and start just rattling off Dan Wilson this and that to a whole wedding crowd of one hundred plus people about like, it's like, you know, what can't stand watching manage games? Dan Wilson. It's like I didn't quite do that. I had some rough draft jokes in there about three months ago about them, and they kind of got shut down. So I was like, well, for the sake of the people, for the sake of a wedding that's not mine, I'm just gonna sit there and not make it about me. Now, if I was gonna one day be giving a speech at my own hypothetical wedding, would I sit there and say to everybody that showed up, I'm so appreciative of you. I'm so appreciative. Oh my god, I can't even talk. It's like long day travel minute. I like, am so appreciative of all of you guys coming here today and showing up. I know you guys wouldn't miss any of it, just like George Springer's oh one pitch from Edward Bizaro that he crushed into oblivion because Dan Wilson decided it was time for Edward Bizarro to pitch. If I'm giving my own speech at my own wedding one day, thanking all the people coming, I mean, then I'm ripping off any jokes I want about that.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, what's that I said? It would be your wedding.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, since the wedding was not mine, I tried to not make it about me, So I didn't. Now that doesn't mean he wasn't. That doesn't mean he wasn't brought up in other points of the weekend when I wasn't on the mic talking, but just not during the speech. Oh he was brought up throughout the rest of the weekend too with people.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that that I know. I mean, it's really hard to avoid. Were the Mariners mentioned in the speech?
Speaker 1: So in the in the stuff I wrote out, because I had a bunch of different ideas planned when I started to write out what I thought I wanted to say, but then I tried to cut it down. It's funny for his much time as I've spent with my friend John, who you also know watching the Mariners over the course of our lives, they didn't get brought up in the speech. I mean they could have, and I like in the stuff I wrote out, I had lines prepared about it, but they did want the speeches to be relatively short, and there was other things I wanted to hit on. So there wasn't a ton of Mariner stuff mentioned. It was written out, just not mentioned.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I thought you'd get it in there at like at least.
Speaker 1: Once I thought about it. I don't know, it flowed a little better without it. Maybe it was just better they were out of sight, out of mind for such a happy occasion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did say you were going to take a weekend off from the Mariners, So I guess that would also include not verbally mentioning them at all in a public setting.
Speaker 1: Again, out of sight, out of mind. They weren't out of mind, but out of sight.
Speaker 2: Well, I hate to tell you Low, your weekend's over. We got to talk about the Mariners. But before that, let's pause here for an ad.
Speaker 1: Let's compare two players. They're making similar contracts, but you have to pick one guy to be in your lineup. Player one hit three hundred. He had an eight forty ops and a one forty one WRC plus, forty one percent better than the league average. Player two hit one eighty five. He had a five to sixty three ops and a sixty three WRC plus. So who would you pick? The clear answers? Player A right, because player A is twenty twenty five dominant canzone and player B is twenty twenty two. Abraham Toro, Well, you can apply that same logic to our friends. Over at Davis Law Group, who offer better service with even better results. Most PI firms charge very similar fees, so why not make it simple and just hire the best. Davis Law Group is your premium option for accident firms. They have an in house investigation team, they treat every case like it's going to trial, and they have over seven hundred five star reviews on Google. Davis Law Group wants you to know your rights in the case of an accident. That's why Chris Davis, the founder of Davis Law Group, wrote a series of Washington accident books. He turned common questions into easy to understand books to help people navigate the process, and they've given away over one hundred thousand bucks across the state of Washington. They want you to be informed. Davis Law Group only takes on cases where they truly believe they can help, and you don't pay unless you get a result. If you've been injured and you want to better understand your options, you can request a free, no obligation case evaluation with their team. Just visit Dlgseattle dot com slash baseball to learn more. That's Dlgseattle dot com slash baseball.
Speaker 2: Here's how I would summarize this weekend series against the San Francisco Giants slow for you being out of town. The Mariners didn't really play that much better than they had played on the road in Florida or at any o their low points of the season. I think the only difference this weekend for the Mariners was they hit like three timely home runs and that alone won them this series.
Speaker 1: I mean, none bigger than Cole Young's on Saturday, right, because they had played sixteen truly miserable innings of baseball against the Giants before that Cole Young homer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, it was awful. The vibes are bad. The vibes were so bad. I was literally sitting on this on this clip. I was unsure if I was going to use it or not, So if you follow me on Twitter, I tweeted out the clip of Dan Wilson talking about the team's identity in the second half, which I can get to here in a second. Like the answer Dan gave was just it was awful. He didn't he literally didn't answer the question, didn't give what the identity of the team was. And like as I'm as, I'm sitting there watching this team, like I'm like, all right, I guess I just have to have to publish this clip because I didn't publish it on Friday when he said it, and on Saturday, I'm like, all right, it's not really that relevant right now. But as they're getting shut out into the seventh inning of Saturday, about to lose a series to an atrocious Giants team that is that they're just awful. The Giants, They're terrible, They're so dysfunctional. As bad as you think the Mariners are, the Giants are worse, and the Mariners are about to lose a series to them. So I'm like, all right, I gotta rip it. So I we out this Dan clip and I swear to God. Not three minutes later, Cole Young hits that three run home run.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe you dink or maybe you reverse jinks it.
Speaker 2: I think I did, I really think I did? I have to play this Dan answer man, I literally I can't even fathom how Like it just doesn't make sense. So some of these, some of these questions that Dan gets asked, I feel like there should just be like super easy answers that you don't have to be very specific with, that you don't need to you don't need to call anyone out for doing And the answer still is just it just baffling to me. Just like, listen to this. So he's he's being asked right here what the he wants the identity of the team to be in the second half.
Speaker 4: The identity is is uh, you know, it's.
Speaker 1: A big part of what we talked about in such means we do.
Speaker 4: I think that I have seen a lot of the things that we talked about as a team being pretty and they're coming ready to play, and you're coming ready to play.
Speaker 3: That's what That's what our guys will do and get that will continue to do, and that's why it's exciting as we get ready to park out the second half or.
Speaker 1: Some dude, what is he even talking about?
Speaker 2: So he listed his identity for the team in the second half is showing up Brady to play and being gritty, which doesn't there's nothing measurable for that. How about what's here's an answer? More consist hitting more consistently and playing cleaner defense.
Speaker 1: God forbid, there's actual details given. We need to hit better against left handed pitching. By the way, Jerry Depoto said that exact thing in a Seattle Times article just a few days ago, they need to be better against left handed pitching, Like, why can't you say the same thing.
Speaker 2: Justin Holland Are twenty minutes before that said, injuries are not an excuse for a lineup not performing. We just need to hit better.
Speaker 1: Like there's just we've said it a million times and we continue to beat a dead horse because it's nothing. Because this never changes with his answers. But why is it so hard to give some transparent answers without throwing your team or players under the bus. Almost every other manager across the league does exactly that.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. But that clip might have won the Maritors the series, asle so.
Speaker 1: Cole Young had himself a really nice offensive weekend. At least that's a positive he really did.
Speaker 2: The lineup on Sunday was like one I was not expecting. They hit Cole Young third. I'm sorry Saturday Sunday today when we're recording this, and he still hits a clutch home run even though it was facing Robbie Ray, a lefty and co Young gets lefties. His year has not been great, but it worked kind of.
Speaker 1: I mean he well, no, we homered off Web on Saturday but yeah.
Speaker 2: He homered off Web and they homed off a reliever today, right, right, right. I just thought that the construction of it was funky, but again it did end up working out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, because he was hitting the head of Randy right he was. Yeah, yeah, that's a little odd.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit odd. But the thing, even with Cole's two home runs, it's not like he played the cleanest weekend of all time.
Speaker 1: On Saturday.
Speaker 2: Again, I know you weren't watching the game because because you were busy. Cole made two errors that just made me scratch my head, which again got people like into their like sort of like rage mode. After this team hadn't scored in the first sixteen innings of the second half, and on top of that, they were having some sloppy defense. Oh dude, Rayley, bobble the ball in center field that'll directly allow to run to score.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was atrocious. It was so so bad without that Cole Young home run. I mean, the people would have taken their pitchforks out already two games into the second half. It was like it was that bad. Cole Young was like going to his left I think it was in the third inning from his position at second base fields off to his side, gets the like then he doesn't really set his feet and he tries to like open torso throw to first and he throws it like ten feet wide of Josh Naylor. And that also that was right before Rayley bobbled the ball in center field.
Speaker 1: So do this for me, because again, I didn't get to watch a ton this weekend having other obligations and other plans being out of town. But I certainly know just being online with it on Friday night after the game, you said the vibes were bad. People were furious after Friday night's loss. What would you describe the vibe ads, whether it's just people online, people around the ballpark? Like, what were people feeling on Friday when they lost?
Speaker 2: Terrible? They just got run out of their own building in the first game of the second half by a terrible team and an advantageous pitching matchup of Bryce Miller versus was that Landen Rup? Yeah, and I think they got ran out of the building.
Speaker 1: Yeah, isn't it said up?
Speaker 2: Okay? Uh? But anyways, it's just so easy to make the joke of oh, it looks like some of the Mariners are still on the beach, and again, it doesn't I'm not trying to throw Cole Young under the bus here because it's not his fault and he was the best player for the Mariners series this weekend. But I mean, he was on the radio with shaneon pregame for Saturday's game and he he you know what, you know what Cole Young did and his time off Stayton Tampa went on the beach like it just it's hard to get around that joke.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think you can knock guys for taking a vacation during All Star Wars.
Speaker 2: I'm not, but like, it's really easy to make that joke when the team plays their first game on Friday and gets boat raced by a terrible team. That when when the team already has focus issues throughout the season.
Speaker 1: Well that's a different story. Sure, yeah, yeah, could the joke be very easily made. Sure, let's here, let's phrase it like this. We know other people will make the joke, so let's just be the first to get out in front of it and say, after Friday's loss, the Mariners have not traveled back from the beach. No, they had not since Again, since other people will make the joke. We'll just get out ahead of it and say it first.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the vibes on Friday were pretty atrocious, like you just and even to Dan Wilson's identity, the one thing he said with the identity, I want guys showing up ready to play. And then they just got hammered on Friday, So.
Speaker 1: I think great. So I think the moral of this series win from the weekend is the Mariners uninspiringly won a series against a really bad team, and can they possibly follow it up with a second series win against another last place team and the Reds this week TVD. They have not turned a corner yet, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: No. Again, in summary, they didn't play that much better. They just hit some timely home runs, which maybe that could be the difference between this team winning the division or not, because this division still just stinks. But if the Mariners hit timely home runs they could kind of suck and still win it.
Speaker 1: That could just be it.
Speaker 2: I think that that's not gonna win them postseason series, and that's really what we want.
Speaker 1: I think the difference in winning the division or not is are Cal and Julio gonna get hot at some point? Or are they gonna stay like this all year? That's the difference.
Speaker 2: I would totally agree with that. They're gonna need to play better against the Reds, and they're also gonna need to just win the series against the Reds because this has been such an issue this year. We're stringing together series wins and looking good in multiple series is just so difficult. The stretcher, they won eight games in row levels forty one games ago.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That's a long time. That's almost half of what they have played so far. That's how long ago that was. You can't it's really hard to say like, yeah, we've done that before, we could do it again. It's like, well that was kind of a long time ago and you've only done it once. So we're just gonna need to see the Mariners take advantage of a bad Reds team and play better like and in this Red series, hit some timely home runs and play clean defense and consistently hit with runners in scoring position, and preferably don't get shut out one of these games. Well that's what I would like to see.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got great news for you here. On Monday, they get to face Andrew Rabbit, a LEFTI to start, and then they get Chase Burns on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Oh one run loss.
Speaker 1: Chase Burns. For anybody that hasn't followed the Reds all that closely this year has been absolutely dominant. He was just an all star. I mean, they get Brady's singer on Wednesday. That's a little bit of a lighter pitching matchup. It's him versus Emerson, but Abbott and Burns the first two days, well, it'll be an adventure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely one way to put it. Yeah, But in summary, they do need to play better against the Reds, and we're home being they really do. There's a couple more points we're gonna hit on to wrap up this podcast, even some positive news, positive news, but before that, let's pause here for an ad. Let us tell you guys about Cozy Earth. Cozy Earth's mission is to make home the best part of your life. They send us their bamboo sheet set. They're everywhere pant and every day polo for us to try, and we were really impressed. The bamboo sheet set lives up to the hype. It's Cozy Earth's mission to make the softest sheets in the world, and I think they've gotten pretty darn close, and I really like the pant and polo as well. For what I look for in everyday clothes, I'm looking for something comfortable but a little stylish as well, and I think both of these check those boxes. Just so you know, Cozy Earth has a lifetime warranty on their clothes, a hassle free return process, and a one hundred nights sleep trial on their sheets. Summer should feel easy for everyone in the house. Cozy Earth's bamboo sheet set, Everywhere pant and every Day Polo are meant to keep you cool, comfortable, and actually relaxed all summer long. Head to cozyearth dot com and use our code marine for an exclusive twenty percent off. That's code Marine mar for an exclusive twenty percent off. And if you see a post purchase survey mention that you heard about Cozy Earth right here. Starting a business is a big deal and it can be very intimidating. There's a ton of questions with not always a ton of answers. You'd be surprised how much simpler Shopify makes it packed with all the tools you need included from day one. Shopify's templates and AI tools get you a stunning site up and running fast with no coding needed. It also seamlessly integrates into an existing website, like it did with ours. Shopify checkout means more customers can actually buy, and returning ones can do so with a single click. We saw the effectiveness of this right away with the volume of merch sales as soon as we went live. If questions come up, Shopify's built in AI assistance Sidekick is ready to help you build, troubleshoot and keep moving. Because Shopify handles the setup and check out, you have more time to focus on growing your business, which was my main concern when setting up our own merchandise. All you need is an idea, Shopify handles the rest. Start your free trial today at shopify dot com slash marine Layer. Again that shopify dot com slash marine Layer. To start your free trial today shopify dot com slash marine Layer. Let's get the positive news first. Lele felnine is heading to double A as expected. As soon as he started hitting this season, you get the thought in your mind that all right, this is tracking well for him to get to Arkansas during the summer, and it seems like according to his Instagram, the Mariners pulled a trigger on that today.
Speaker 1: He's played about ninety games now, and Everett, you can take the eleven from the end of last year and then pair it with the games he's played this year, and what he's done in half a season down or in hi A this year is put up a one forty WRC plus. He's on pace for a twenty five home run season. He's swiped eighteen bases already, he has hit well from both sides of the player right, and he has really really gotten that strikeout rate under control since at about twenty percent now, where he's also drawn his walks. So what this looks like is the Felonine Sealestam that you you know, I'm not saying he is a bona fide big league star at age twenty when he simply get into Arkansas because he's he's not, you have so much more to prove. But the half a season we've seen out of felnin now, with him healthy and with him truly hitting and showing the combo of speed and power, I mean, this is the prospect you dreamed on when you signed him as this mega international free agent star. When you got him. Oh and your MIC's off. Nice job.
Speaker 2: I was just drinking water.
Speaker 1: Oops, there you go, now what you want to say.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't expect Felnin's numbers to be quite as high in Arkansas. Just look at like what laz and Arroyo did and then sort of grade that on a curve of what to expect for Feldine, I'd say it's to win. If Felning's like a seven an eighty to eight hundred ops guy in Arkansas, given that ballpark, He's not going to play in Triple A until probably a year from now at a best case scenario. So now is again some time to exert patients as Felonin's can adjust to the biggest jump in minor league baseball, going from a ball all the way up to double A. The other thing that I was thinking about with this is that if they're promoting Felnin, I don't think Johnny Farmel is that far behind. Johnny Farmelo. Since May first has a nine to nine ops so one thirty five WORC plus he's walking fifteen percent of the time. He's been really, really good. I mean he's been now the second best hitter on that ever team, I guess among the prospects besides Felnin in that stretch, he also has ten home runs in twelve doubles, so that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: He's been awesome. Good for him too, because he got off to a bit of a slow start to begin the year. Now he is really and he is really hitting his stride, and he's fully healthy this year. He's not battling the injuries again. It's pretty cool to say. I would bet you it is. Pretty soon we see Johnny get the call and the promotion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too, So happy for those guys. And then the last thing to note here on this podcast, Lile, is that the Mariners announced their rotation plans for I guess the next week, the first turn through the rotation, we are going to get one more or one more at least one more full turn through the rotation. As a six man rotation. Everyone's going to get a turn coming here out of the break. I'm guessing they're just gonna do it again once they run through this rotation one more time, because that will put them right at about the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but I better not see one more piggyback or six man rotation and pass the date of August third, when that trade deadline's over. This better be done. Whether somebody's traded or you make a definitive decision, that's the deadline at this point, no more, not one more day passed. This has got to be it because if the only reason you're doing this, whether you'll say it publicly or not, is to keep everybody stretched out to maximize the trade value of all your starters, including Luis Castillo. Fine, and I get why you can't say that publicly, but that's why I say this better be done after the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Yes, why did they Why did they come out with the group piggyback? The more I think back on this, the more it just it just seems kind of silly.
Speaker 1: It's all been silly. This whole plan, this whole year has been silly.
Speaker 2: Well it got I mean, I mean Adam Jude reported the story that was I mean, he's given information by the team on what their plans were, which was great and good for Adam forgetting that scoop they made. They made a decently big deal out of like here's our plan, Like Trent Blanks stayed up all night putting this together, and it is had all of these options, we got everyone to agree to it. It's it's great, but they didn't even do it.
Speaker 1: No, oh, I did it once and then they pulled a plug.
Speaker 2: They did it once with Bryce and Louise. Yeah, would already piggyback to begin with, and then as soon as it got to everyone else they decided not to do it. Whatever, man again two more times through? What is that? That's twelve games? Twelve games puts the Mariners right at Well, they've done it three times now, so they have about nine turns left in the rotation, and they have fourteen days until the deadline, so they'll have to like dip into it for a third time. But they're gonna trade one of these guys. I mean, it could happen by the end of that second turn. So yeah, hopefully two more turns and and someone's getting sent to the bullpen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, these games they've got up until the trade deadline are pretty important because it's gonna dictate how they approach this deadline one way or another. They've all flat on their If they all flat on their face and rip off six of eight losses, then.
Speaker 2: What I think you have to buy? No matter what, I really don't think you can let the results of the next two weeks impact how you approach the trade deadline. The league is too bad, Yeah, you just need to make it. You just need to get in.
Speaker 1: You also have a very important four game series right after the Reds with the Rangers. Like that four games is gonna determine a lot, God forbid, they go get boat raced in Texas and all of a sudden, you're down four games in the division with a week before the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: I don't even think you can let that discourage you. I think that would be about to.
Speaker 1: Make What about the three games after the Dodgers immediately after the.
Speaker 2: Rangers Again, I just don't think it's worth selling, Like what is selling get you for the marior nurse?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, I never really agree on selling, because this team is not in a market and a position where they should ever be essentially forfeiting a season, especially in a bad American league. I'm just saying they might not as aggressively buy as they might if they were to rip off a bunch of wins. I'm not saying they'll full on sell, but they might not be as aggressive.
Speaker 2: And standing pat wouldn't be good either. I think there's only one option once they reach the deadline. It's to buy as hard as possible. I hope, so I have plenty of prospects. This is your window. Everyone gets more expensive season after season. You could be six games out of a playoff spot by the deadline and I still wouldn't care. Like you can make that up in two months. That shouldn't be a problem. You still want to get make your team better. But I do agree with you Lyle that. I mean, it's at least gonna set the tone like your team needs to Your team does need to at some point prove they are worthy for We've heard that in the past, and I would agree with that, like the team needs to prove, hey, we're worth investing in, even though if I think on the outside that they should do it no matter what, and the eyes of executives and guys whose jobs are tied to success and health of team, they might look at the players and say, you need to prove you're worth it. That's a reason that they made the Paul Seawalled trade in twenty twenty three, where they were kind of in between. You remember they let they waited until that last series before the deadline, that Diamondback series where Canzone ironically walked them off.
Speaker 1: He didn't walk them off, but he had a late game deciding hit.
Speaker 2: Oh right, right, So he had a big hit in that series, and they ended up trading Paul Seawall to the Diamondbacks and getting Canzone back. And the Mariners used that series to justify if they were gonna trade Taoscar Hernandez or not or Aoeniosuauz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so crazy.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can let that creep into your mind, but I do think the team needs to, you know, show something in these games. They're also just big, not even because of the trade deadline, because at some point you have to show that like the team you were for the first hundred games isn't actually what you are and you're something better than that. And if the Mariners split or lose three or four in Texas and get swept by the Dodgers, then that's just telling us you're not a very good team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the more reason. You better go take advantage of the Reds this week, buy yourself some cushion before you have to go to Texas up and then to La Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then and then your last series before the deadline is at home against the Minnesota Twins, who won't be trading you Byron box In. No.
Speaker 1: But again, those games against Texas in LA are going to mean a lot. So you want to set yourself up, you better go take care of the Reds. You didn't take I mean, you took care of the Giants enough, you didn't all that inspiring doing it. You better go win back to back series against them in the Reds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm one hundred percent there with you. We will have Joe Doyle for Wednesday's episode to talk Mariner's draft. We haven't done a full comprehensive draft breakdown, so Joel will be joining us for Wednesday's episode. That should be a fun one, so don't want to miss that, and then we will be full go until the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Will have plenty to talk about, so much hopefully positive stuff, and that would involve them continuing to win some games. Let's hope they find a way to do that. Let's really, let's really hope. But yeah, excited to talk to Joe on Wednesday, so get yourself all geared up for that. With that, that'll just about wrap up this edition of The Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so. Wherever you get your audio pods, make sure download. If you're listening, please go rate and review and leave that five star review on Apple, Spotify. Wherever you listen to your podcast. If you're on YouTube, make sure to just hit the subscribe button. Can see the subscribe button right in front of you. Just take a second to press it. You get notified whenever we're posting new content. You stay up to date with us and it really does help the channel. If you do so, please go hit subscribe on YouTube. You can find us on our website marine layerpod dot com. Podcast merch is all there, episodes are all there, Patreon's all there. That's over at marine layerpod dot com, and then you can find us on our website. We're posting content every day across all our platforms at Marine layer Pod. That's TJ a'm lyle. It's always we Thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you sa