Speaker 1: Happy new Lisa Elliott.
Speaker 2: Happy Yes, Bananette that means happy New Year in French.
Speaker 3: Grander, thank you for inviting us to your New Year's Day party.
Speaker 2: But of course, and where is your little friends?
Speaker 1: Actually, I'm not sure he should be here.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. The friends are celebrating New Year's Day with Cowie and her grawn mare that's French for grandmother. Have you ever spent a holiday at someone else's home. Did they celebrate the same way your family celebrates or were some things different or even confusing? Let's join the Lingo Kids' friends to see how Cowie's family welcomes the new year.
Speaker 1: Come in, come in.
Speaker 2: I must run back to the kitchen to finish cooking the meal.
Speaker 5: I can't wait, Cawie, I brought the New Year's soup.
Speaker 1: Here you go.
Speaker 5: Soup, Yes, long middle soup for a long life.
Speaker 1: We make it every New Year's Day.
Speaker 5: Oh, we don't usually have soup, but it smells good.
Speaker 1: A point on the table.
Speaker 3: Well, my family makes popcorn, and I brought a fresh batch.
Speaker 1: To ship popcorn. Yeah, for the movie.
Speaker 5: But Lisa, we'll watch movies on New Year's you don't.
Speaker 3: But then what do you do all day?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess mostly we eat. We eat a lot, and sometimes we go for a.
Speaker 1: Walk if it's not cold.
Speaker 5: Oh, but isn't that kind of boring. It's not boring, it's cozy and special. You're just being mean.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I am not trying to be mean, Cawie. It's just that once. Well, it's not what my family does. Yeah, it's not when my family does either.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, everyone. I can tell you are all excited to celebrate New Years, and maybe you're used to celebrating in different ways. You know, there are many different ways to celebrate the New Year. But today you are guests at Cowie's house, so maybe you can let Cowie show you how her family celebrates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'm sorry, Callie.
Speaker 3: I'm I guess I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 1: I think I'm a little nervous. Sorry, Cowie, me too. It's okay, don't be nervous. I'll show you to the doorbell. Who is it? Billy?
Speaker 4: Billy says he's sorry, he's late. He slipped through his alarm clock.
Speaker 1: That's okay, Billy, But what are you wearing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, looks like party beads and glowing the dark glasses.
Speaker 4: Billy says they are left over from his family's New Year's Eve party. They were up until midnight dancing and watch the fireworks from a tree branch.
Speaker 1: Fires at midnight. That is way past my bedtime.
Speaker 5: A New Year's Eve dance party sounds fun. But what does your family do on New Year's Day?
Speaker 4: Billy says, sleep.
Speaker 2: Billy, you made it just in time. Everyone helped me bring our feast to the table.
Speaker 5: Sure, of course it smells so good.
Speaker 1: Wow, it really is a feast. There's cheese and bread and meat and fruits. And oh there's my popcorn in.
Speaker 5: A fety bowl and my lone little soup. What's wrong, Billy?
Speaker 4: Billy says he's feeling bad because he didn't know he was supposed to bring something to share.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't worry at we have plenty of food. Please eat bonapity.
Speaker 1: You, Billy, you brought yourself and your party peet.
Speaker 2: This is Soupy's not too good, Eliot, I must get the recipe.
Speaker 1: Thank you, grandmere.
Speaker 3: This is not how my family celebrates New Year's but it is pretty fun and delicious.
Speaker 1: I knew you'd like it, Lisa.
Speaker 2: What does your family do, Lisa?
Speaker 3: Oh well, first of all, we were matching pajamas all day long.
Speaker 1: Cheut uh huh.
Speaker 3: And we watch movies and sometimes they catch outside if it's not too cold in your pajamas. Yes, it's a peaty party all.
Speaker 2: Day incredible and Theliot, what does your family New Year's Day?
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 5: In the morning, we make a big part of soup, we make lots of treats.
Speaker 1: It makes the house smell so good. And then the afternoon we visit our.
Speaker 5: Friends and give out our treats for us to meet New Year.
Speaker 2: Such a nice tradition, Eliot. In our family, we have a tradition to go around the big table and show New Year's resolutions.
Speaker 5: We can we we grand There is razy a special kind of lotion for New Year's.
Speaker 4: A New Year's resolution is like a goal you make for yourself for the new year.
Speaker 1: Oh, like a soccer goal.
Speaker 4: Not exactly. It can be something you'd like to try for the first time, or something you'd like to get better at, or it could even be something you'd like to stop doing.
Speaker 3: Oh, I get it like I want to write my bike to school or this year instead of writing in a car.
Speaker 1: To take care of the earth. Very good.
Speaker 2: And I would like to play the harmonica. This is my new year's resolution.
Speaker 1: That's cool? Grand there? Then you can make music.
Speaker 2: Wherever you go, EXACTI. And how about you shall goe well?
Speaker 5: This year, I want to read a whole book all by myself.
Speaker 1: I know you could do it, Calie.
Speaker 4: Those are some great new Year's resolutions or goals for the new year. Lingo kids listeners, do you have any New Year's resolutions?
Speaker 1: What are they? Well? That helped me think of my new year's resolution? What is it, Elliott?
Speaker 5: This year, I want to learn a new word every day coummel yep, my first word.
Speaker 1: Frazzy. We resolution. You are off to a great start, yasieur.
Speaker 2: And what about my little friend Billy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Billy, what's your new Year's resolution?
Speaker 2: Perhaps to get more sleep?
Speaker 4: Not well, Lingo kids listeners, Today we learned that different families can celebrate the same holiday in different ways, and it can be fun to share family traditions. The best part about holiday is, no matter how you celebrate, is to be together. Join us next time to continue play learning with the Lingo Kids friends