Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia Judice.
Speaker 2: Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Kessler. Hi, guys, welcome to another episode of Dirty Rush. Today we are diving into one of the wildest and most unforgettable parts of Greek life. We're talking about date parties, from epic themes and chaotic nights to the awkward pairings and unexpected drama. We are breaking down the good, the bad, and everything in between. So we're going to have some callers on this episode. So now we are bringing in the lovely grace. So I'm thinking you were a sorority girl.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was.
Speaker 2: Where did you go to school?
Speaker 4: I went to UCLA.
Speaker 2: So we are talking today about date parties, and we're just talking about kind of sometimes the chaos of them, the themes of them. You know, was there pressure if you didn't have a date, you know, trying to find one or getting asked to one. How are your experiences with date parties?
Speaker 4: So I feel like in terms of finding a date, it was kind of well rounded, which I feel like isn't very normal at other schools, but at UCLA it was kind of like in the Beginning like freshman and sophomore year, you everybody was like fighting a date because everybody wanted to be taking like a cute frat boy that they just knew of or thought was cute or whatever. And then as time went on and you get older into like your junior and your senior year, everybody stops caring about like who to take because at UCLA Greek life is so small, So like by the time you reach your junior and senior year, you kind of already know everybody. But there is this one date party that is pretty crazy that I feel like is very you know, to UCLA, which is called Crush. But basically, you get to choose three dates that you want to invite, and you like list them from like one to three, of like one being you want to take them the most three is like the person you want to take the least out of your three options. And then this committee appointed by this alreaty called the Crush Committee, basically calls the list of guys and they go from number one down to number three, and they start with number one and they're like a girl as requested for you to be her date. She wants you to come to Crush do you accept and you have no idea who invited you?
Speaker 2: The guys don't know who have okay, So they don't know who asked them exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have no idea who them.
Speaker 3: They just know that somebody asks, okay.
Speaker 4: And then every grade addresses to a different theme. So like like one year or theme was like goes under and so it was like one grade was under the sheet, so everybody were like pajamas. One grade was like under the sea, so everybody was like c themed and everybody had a different grade. So like when they call your date, they're like, all you get to know is the theme, So you get to know what grade of the person that invited you.
Speaker 5: That's it?
Speaker 2: Okay, And do they also dress to theme?
Speaker 3: Yes, so they have to.
Speaker 4: So basically, like all the girls all get ready together. Everybody's like so excited, and like everybody picks out really cute outfits and whatever, and we all take one bus and then all the guys have to meet at like a set location and they all have to take a bus together.
Speaker 3: But like they don't know who invited them.
Speaker 4: All they know is like the theme of what they're dressing to. But they just get on this bus with a bunch of random guys going to a venue that they don't know to meet a bunch of girls and they have no idea who they're like technically going there to meet.
Speaker 2: That actually sounds like so much much fun. I think that's hilarious. Yeah, what happens to the guys that get like like two girls had them on the list and one is a freshman and one is a sophomore, and they have to do under the sea and under the sheet? Like, how do you then just the guy get to choose? Is there a competitive like that?
Speaker 4: I think in that case it would probably go based off of like seniority, Like whoever is in the higher grade probably gets a priority of ranking. But I don't know how often that happens, but it does happen occasionally, where like the same guy gets invited by two girls in the same grade and then the girls don't really know which of their dates out of like the list of three get asked, so like both girls could have ranked a guy number one, and then he shows up and both girls are like I ranked him number one, Like I want to hang out with him.
Speaker 2: They all three get invited that you rank no.
Speaker 4: So basically your top pick gets invited, but like let's say you're top pick is already invited by somebody else, then your number two pick could get invited. But you could have the same number two pick because you chose like your guy best friend as like four other girls who also picked him because he.
Speaker 2: Was Oh my god, I'm getting such a any day. Yeah, like in a good way.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. It's literally crazy. So everybody's kind of like who's here for who? What's going on? And yeah, it's a crazy concept.
Speaker 2: So do you ever tell the guy you were my first pick? You were my Like how does it? Does it ever sort of like come out? Is it? You keep it kind of wrapped?
Speaker 4: Or if you want to reveal it you can, or you could just go about everything saying nothing, like it's really up to you and then but it'll never come out if you don't want me to come out.
Speaker 2: So your friends don't even know, like you write it down unless you tell them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, most people will like tell each other or be like let's invite or like plot to like invite a certain group of guys. But like if you don't tell your friends, they wouldn't know either.
Speaker 2: I mean sounds actually sounds really fun. So you did this? This happens every year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you did this every year and it's like the most coveted event, like girls will literally pay dues senior year only like for the really going to crush.
Speaker 2: Yes, And did you ever either meet a guy there end up hanging out with a guy that you didn't expect to Was it a way for you to get to know guys that you kind of wanted to get to know.
Speaker 4: One one time, when I was a freshman, there was this boy that I really really liked. We later on we started dating, actually, but before we were dating, we just really liked each other whatever, And so I invited him to crush and one of my older brother's best friends happened to also go to UCLA at the same time and get invited to rush. And I was a freshman, Like I was like, I wouldn't do this now, but at the time, I had like started making out with my the guy that I liked at the venue, and it happened to be right in front of my older brother's best friend and my older brother's best friend like texts my brother and he's like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: This is horrible?
Speaker 4: Like why my route for this even mortified.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is hilarious. I have to say the whole thing, and I really shouldn't feel this way. It's and appropriate. Makes you want to go back in time to UCLA and a crush party. So don't tell my husband, but I love it. It sounds like it was so much fun.
Speaker 3: It was. It was really fun.
Speaker 2: Thanks Grace. This is my offspring, Rachie. So my girl was in a sorority at the University of Delaware. I don't know if you want to share the sorority, rachel.
Speaker 5: I don't mind. I was in alphathy at the University of Delaware.
Speaker 2: You were, and so you had a pretty good experience as a sorority girl at Delaware.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I loved it.
Speaker 2: This episode, we are talking about date parties, and I know you had quite a few of those.
Speaker 5: Yes, every like three months.
Speaker 2: And I just just so I kind of know, but like you had to What is a date party exactly?
Speaker 6: It's basically they call it like formals or they call it crush and you pick a date. Everyone puts their name on a date doc and you have to have a certain amount of points in your sorority to be able to go. So if you're not going to like all the chapters, all all the events and stuff, you won't be able to go.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, and is it that big of a deal. They that much fun?
Speaker 5: They're fun. It's like some are better than others.
Speaker 1: I personally liked, like frat formals better than sorority formals.
Speaker 2: Okay, so but date parties? Was it hard to find a date?
Speaker 1: Sometimes a lot of people would just bring like girls from another sorority.
Speaker 5: I also realized you could go alone. Oh you could, Yeah, you could definitely go alone.
Speaker 2: You weren't You aren't a loser if you went alone.
Speaker 5: Was this more fun for me? I think when you brought a guy that you were interested in.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, it's just like I don't know, you're bringing them to your date party. Everyone else has their dates. You'll like get together before drink, the bus ride, and then I feel like it also was a lot of like, Okay, he brought me to my frat formal to his frat formal, so I'm going to bring him to mind.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember that, Like you had like kind of an obligation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but I just remember before them for you, it was like, oh, well, for me, it was always torture who to bring, Like he brought me to his, but I really don't want to bring him to mine. It was like all these politics or you would get invited to a couple of them or something and you didn't know which.
Speaker 5: That would always happen when sometimes they would bring me that there's something I don't want to bring me to mine.
Speaker 2: Really just get all this good problem to have, I suppose.
Speaker 1: And then sometimes there were like themes for the date nights, which a lot of the times there were off campus date nights. They're called like off campus mixers, so it would be like two frats and two sororities, and then there'd be a theme, so you didn't have to bring date to those. It was just kind of like an off campus party.
Speaker 5: One of the themes I remember though, we had like Y two K, so.
Speaker 2: Like you dress up for them. A lot of the date parties Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I liked the off campus ones because they were just they were more fun by less rules.
Speaker 2: So do you have any like crazy stories from any of them, like on the bus or anything that happened.
Speaker 5: Well, one time I brought a lunatic date just got was so drunk the whole time.
Speaker 1: It's also a thing like if you bring a date and they get wasted, then you can get a jaboard. So like, let's say I brought someone and they like made a flo out of themselves, then I get in trouble.
Speaker 2: So a jboard is when you get like disciplinary action or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I feel like I always loved the before and after the day parties. Like actually being at the day party was kind of just like you were drinking before and then you've just sit on a bus for like an hour and a half because we usually go to Philly and you have to pee, you're like drunk. It's just kind of annoying. And then you get there and goes by in like five seconds. But you go back and it's like a whole postgame situation. I always loved that, especially being in the BABS.
Speaker 5: We call it the face. What's the fous Alpha fi House?
Speaker 2: Oh wait, so hold on, So you bring this guy and he's wait, he gets wasted. He's a lunatic. What do you do?
Speaker 5: He's yeah, he just got like really wasted. It's just kind of making full of himself.
Speaker 1: Actually, I didn't get in trouble when he was there, but then I brought him. We all usually bring our dates back to the Fouls after just to like hang out. And I brought him back and he and we had a ring like a ring camera, and he ended up going on the porch and peeing off the porch and I got a jboard. They're like, your date was peeing off the porch at three A.
Speaker 2: We see somebody you were interested in before. Was he just a friend?
Speaker 5: He was just like a friend.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, sometimes it was better bringing a friend because you were like, Okay, I don't need to have that pressure.
Speaker 2: Did you ever feel pressure when you would bring dates that weren't your boyfriend?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Probably just that they would have fun get along with that brought some bad.
Speaker 2: Dates he did, what do you mean.
Speaker 5: Picky boys? Soles? Maybe if I went back, I would bring a girlfriend.
Speaker 2: So you're there and everybody's drinking and people because I'm just I'm trying to remember. I kind of do like I don't remember a lot of nights where you come the next day. You were like thrilled after a date party, whether or not he was it, or you kind of like someone else and your date would get mad at you or there was always like something I feel like with them.
Speaker 1: I was also annoying because if you weren't twenty one at these day parties, like you couldn't drink there. So it was I thought when we turned twenty one, it was more fun because we'd be able to.
Speaker 5: Be at the bar and stuff. Right, But yeah, I don't know. They were never like my favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I always feel like something always ended up happening to You're right, like there was just like drama, right. Yeah. I also do you remember when I told you the story?
Speaker 1: I we had a date night and afterwards we were all on the bus and I like dropped my.
Speaker 5: Phone and I just like walked off the bus. Yes, And it was like two weeks before school ended. Yes, And I knew I.
Speaker 1: Dropped my phone like it was it was all on the floor. I just I guess I walked out about it. Where you waste it today? I mean probably?
Speaker 2: All right, Rachel, you are the love of my life, and now we say goodbye. All right, guys, now we're bringing in Michelle. So Michelle, you may already know, but we are talking about date parties. And so you were in a sorority.
Speaker 3: I was a Sigma capa got it.
Speaker 2: And I'm assuming that you guys had date parties there. I mean, you know, Greek life is pretty big.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is super big, and it's been growing too. They add like a new sorority every few years.
Speaker 2: Really, wow, about how many girls in your sorority just had of curiosity?
Speaker 3: Around three hundred? So are PC's in the beginning, we're like ninety people each.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah that's a lot. All right. Yeah, so I want you to tell me a little bit about what date parties were like there.
Speaker 3: So date parties are very frequent. They have been every single weekend, and there's always a mix of different frats and sororities. People have kind of their brother frats that they do a ton of events with and then there's some random mixes, but they're always super fun. They get some crazy DJs and rent some venues. And the themes are honestly my favorite part.
Speaker 2: Why why is that there's just.
Speaker 3: Such funny themes and some will have like the same theme every year, so everyone is anticipating it and excited.
Speaker 2: What was your favorite?
Speaker 3: I love the Kentucky Derby theme.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was always a really fun one.
Speaker 2: I love that. So you said you had them.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm think in all schools don't work like this, but you have them every weekend, so where you had to have a date, you always were either getting invited or inviting someone to yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's always one happening every weekend. Not my sorority having one every weekend, but there's always something.
Speaker 2: Oh got it? Okay? And did the girls ever invite like friends from other sororities.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, that happened all the time. I definitely did that a few times.
Speaker 2: You did, because I feel like it'd be kind of like pressure if you don't have a boyfriends, like find a date every weekend?
Speaker 3: Right, And honestly, sometimes it's more fun if you bring a friend yeah than a boy right.
Speaker 2: I have heard that. Do you have any crazy stories from any of the parties?
Speaker 3: Well, honestly, now that Kentucky Derby's on my mind, there was this one time when this frat called Lambda did the Kentucky Derby party and they partnered with Sigath, which they usually don't do. It's usually a solo date party, but in this instance they partnered together and the boys made all of the freshmen where Potato sacks and do a race as if they were horses, and they bet on them and everything, and the decor was crazy. All of the floor was.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, I'm thinking they didn't want you have potato sacks the whole time.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, just for the race, Okay, for the race, Okay, but at the end there was a fight about who won and who crossed the finish line first, and so they started physically fighting and it was the craziest thing ever.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what happens when you mix prap boys and too much alcohol.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking absolutely. And then the rest of the party there was like a side for each fraternity and it was so funny.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Okay, so that sounds sort of fun also crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Did you ever like meet a boy at one of these parties and start dating or like somebody else's date.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I definitely met a few boys at the date parties, but nothing that really lasted.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So, but was it it was did you sometimes feel the pressure of finding someone for them?
Speaker 5: Was it more?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was in a friend group of like eight girls, and so if they were bringing boys, like if the majority was bringing boys, then we would all find boys to go, but sometimes we would just make it like a girl's night and that would be super fun too. But yeah, there's definitely pressure if your friends are also bringing boy dates.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I remember that with my daughter, you know, having to sort of like figure out who and I don't know because now I'm, you know, an old mother type, and so I always feel like, what if you can't find a date?
Speaker 5: That must be all.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so stressful for no reason because at the end of the day, your sorority is there or like you know people there anyways, and it ends up being fun.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 2: I love that. Okay, well, I really appreciate your joining us, Michelle. Listen, you guys, there are so many callers that want to talk to us about date parties, so it's just like, put a pin in it. We'll do another episode. Who knew that day parties were so exciting and so salacious, So please come back and listen to part two.