Speaker 1: Now really, really.
Speaker 2: Now really hello, and welcome to Really Know Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who both invite you to subscribe to our show. You don't even have to mail anything in, just push the subscribe button. And speaking of mail, today's episode could be titled Hello Newman, because the internationally beloved actor Wayne Knight visits Really No Really to talk about his iconic roles, including Seinfeld's scheming mailman Newman and the techno was Dennis Nedrie in the original Jurassic Park. We and also discusses getting work based on his weight, being held hostage on the set of Oliver Stone's JFK, the bizarre audition that got him his part in Basic Instinct, the disgusting reality of being spit on by a dinosaur.
Speaker 3: Here's Jason and Peter. You didn't want the ball?
Speaker 1: I think the bell has been a major assets to the show and annoying.
Speaker 3: Really no Um In nineteen fifty seven on radio that was a very powerful tonic THO today, well you would you would know.
Speaker 1: Hell, And I was going to say it, I.
Speaker 3: Always love when they get to see the real you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what I love today is that I feel at home because a person that I was happy to work with.
Speaker 1: Has joined us today, someone who.
Speaker 3: I admired and respect on the sill of one time. We can shut it down now you want, but a man who's a deposit for the mics and the cameras, and.
Speaker 4: A man who whose work I was aware of long before he became a national and national international iconic figure. I was aware of this man's work upon the Broadway stage. I was a huge fan. I was very excited when we actually maid our acquaintance professionally for nine years on the number one hit comedy of the of the nineties and today I was stilled.
Speaker 3: To make his acquaintance because and people say that he's one of the funniest guys. I know this is truly in conversation I break up I could be talking about.
Speaker 4: Before we sat down in front of these mics, We've already had four things he said that I could write down and go.
Speaker 1: I'm using that.
Speaker 3: He's a joy as a smart man, as you know, can talk about see and an extremely funny man. You all know him. I think everybody knows.
Speaker 4: The temptation is to say hello newman, but we're gonna say.
Speaker 1: Hello to our friend, mister Wayne Knight. Welcome to really really, sir.
Speaker 3: Bless You're exciting to see the COVID God, we've lost touch with so many people.
Speaker 1: Ever since COVID, I have not been the same. I've become some of the Diamond. The Diamond was a famous actress and comedian.
Speaker 3: There you go. So how are you?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 4: You know, I've talked to you recently because we were working on something together that nothing to new show business. But I haven't seen you since really since the pandemic began.
Speaker 3: How yeah, how is life? What's going on?
Speaker 1: I know you're working, you gotta, you're in a show, and you're I'm not always working. I'm always not working, but now I am.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, but was it? Was it?
Speaker 4: But you know, but that's so interesting because I knew so, you know, we do a little bit of research about all of our guests, and I knew some of this stuff about you. But you had such a kind of crazy, rich, diverse life around what we know you for as an actor that I almost want to I want to start by going, if you if this hadn't happened for you acting, what did you want to do? When did you go? Oh, I'm going to be an actor and what else was on the table when you.
Speaker 1: A biochemistry.
Speaker 4: I don't doubt it because I but I'm not just saying this to be nice.
Speaker 1: I've had.
Speaker 4: One of the things I've enjoyed so much about being around you all these years is you are legit intimately one of the most intelligent, well read, fascinating people.
Speaker 3: I know. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't you strike me as as I'm a functioning idiot. I don't read. What I do is I listen to conversations, repeat them as if they were mine.
Speaker 3: Oh good, then leave the room quickly. What that does is.
Speaker 1: It create impression, the opression of I do the I do impressions of intelligent people.
Speaker 3: You know this is taking me back to phone calls. Wayne would take you up like I gotta go.
Speaker 1: You just got to leave quickly. Don't stay too long after the intelligence Wait.
Speaker 3: A minute before acting. You were a private investigator.
Speaker 1: Yes, how five years I was a p I in New York.
Speaker 3: I got it here.
Speaker 4: I can't and I knew. I knew this because you had told me that before. But you have to say it, say it so.
Speaker 3: It's pretty he was a private investigator because I know it you're the one.
Speaker 1: You know, like, when when is this going to go digitif out? Do you really think the analog belt works? I think it's so.
Speaker 3: Fashioned, you know what? Investigator?
Speaker 1: Oh no, but but the thing is that here's the thing. So I'm an actor, right, and uh I did a Broadway show and uh one of my cast mates. You know, we're young, we're in our twenties. So when you crap out after that, you still grab out. You know, you think this is going to be a continuant and I'm gonna last forever. Yes, so I didn't want to wait tables again. I had you know, I'd been on Broadway and stuff, and and I had a friend. He says, Oh, I got a great job. Yeah, what do you do? He goes, I'm I'm a private investigator. What you don't have any criminology background. You never were a policeman. You don't know anything about this. He goes, that's right. How are you these people? Why why would hire said they like actors? Why do they like actors? They're not upwardly mobile, they don't want a full time job, and they're totally unscrupulous. That's correct. They're willing to lie about themselves. Add infinitum. You know, I mean, I've been building resumes my entire life, so why not just build an entire character that was fake and then walking the door. And that's what I wound up doing. And I did it on phone and I did it in person, and I talked to like uh admirals, heads of industry, uh senators, getting references on people. I found out that somebody had been in a mental hospital the previous summer and they were trying to get a job as a startup engineer at a nuclear plants. Then then I'm like, so proud of myself and he was I'm not even and he got shocked and everything. Then the phone rings and it's the candidate, the guy who's trying to get the job, and he goes, I'm so thankful to you. I've been hoping that a headhunter would come around. Nobody's ever had any interest in me. For two years, I haven't been able to get a job.
Speaker 3: Oh oh oh god. Oh yeah, so before Google listen is before the internet. Here a gumshoe, you're running around doing everything.
Speaker 1: Oh I remember I had one where I'm well, I'll give you the whole shmear. We were doing this for an arbitragure right, who has a lot of money and he has no pair, an Irish old pair who's in his home taking care of his kids. A very attractive young Irish woman. And he says to his wife, you know, uh, Mara is so talented and so clever. I think we're doing her disservice by having her be here in the house. I should bring her down to the office and give her a real job. I think that she can go far. Okay, hey, So she goes down there and of course gets immediately pregnant, but she is a Catholic girl and she will not have an abortion. Right, So the arbitrager sets her up in Red Hook, Brooklyn, because God knows, you can't get through it. You can't get away from her. So we'll just stasher over there in Red Hook, and maybe, you know, she'll go away. So then they hire us to follow her. The wife finds out about this somehow, because he tells a wife, listen, I think that the only thing I can do is like four days a week, I'll be with you three days a week. I'll check in on her, just to make sure she's not doing anything, you know. And so the wife hires us to follow her because she might be cheating on him, and if she's cheating on him, he might drump, you know, dump her. So I'm following her. I'm in Red Hook in the rain and February. Uh, there's a there's a three legged dog walking by, and I hated this. She's pure as the driven snow. This girl. I fire follow her from miles from restaurant, the restaurant, whatever and whatever, whatever, there's nothing wrong with her. Meanwhile, the wife says that she wants to hire us to follow the husband. Then the husband sees the wife the people following him, and he believes that the wife is colluding with the girl for a divorce settlement. So we're hired by the wife. By the husband that the wife begins to have an affair with the head of the detective agency and has lunchtime owners with hih my god, really, I'm telling you, how could I leave this job?
Speaker 3: In New York Times unbelievable. Now you have to sit there like a three If they're up till three in the morning, you're there till three in the morning.
Speaker 1: Well, you have this thing, you know, you put your you put your SODA's under the car if it's winter, you know, instead of hot coffee, you have your cold soda under the thing. You have a sandwich, you got your thing, you got you know, you're all decked out, you're waiting there. The worst thing that could happen is that they leave the house.
Speaker 3: Because then you gotta move.
Speaker 1: You gotta move, you know, and we don't have we don't have cell phones in those days, so you gotta move and get from to a payphone or whatever the hell. You don't know what. We're a walking twice one or two.
Speaker 3: In every show, even the best show, when you leave, they look around and there's a car there with you guys sitting in there. It's so obvious. And then you pull out and it's one two they pull out. How do you do that?
Speaker 1: In real life, you realize that people don't think they're being followed all the time. So if you are standing next to somebody in an elevator, they don't go, are you following me?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: They don't think that way, all right. That makes that makes five years.
Speaker 1: Five years, yes, And you know I eventually I didn't get fined. I had to leave because my landlord was also my boss, the head of the detective agency. It was also my landlord.
Speaker 3: You dropped a bomb right before we started going.
Speaker 4: Saying I was talking to you and we were talking about weight loss and character and can you keep a job?
Speaker 3: Do people hire you once you look because they think you're not funny? And you said, my first job ever was on Broadway wearing a fat suit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I saw this, was that Gemino? Yeah, yeah, I was in a fat suit padded to a fifty four inch waist. At the time, I had like a thirty six inch wiste. I had to eat a plate of spaghetti and jelly donut eight times a week. And the prop man on the show was a psychopath. And what he would do is not cook the spaghetti and arrange it so that it looked cooked and then like put some hot sauce under it. So this besteam come and you'll be like and stale donuts. And I would have to like bring him gifts and beg that he'd be nice to me because they wouldn't fire him.
Speaker 4: You didn't have an equity rep because I know they're so effective. Oh, they're terribly effective. Yes, Well, I I don't think he liked me. Because I was on stage.
Speaker 3: And he was so how long did that role?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 3: But I guess that that jumps to the question, Wait a.
Speaker 4: Minute, hold on, I can't let that go by. You did that show for three years, three years over a thousand performers. Hi, Now that's unfathomable to me. I know people do it, and they there are records that go far beyond that for being sad people. But my god, how did you not lose your mind? I did I do six months? I go, please this to another act?
Speaker 1: Oh well, wait a minute, you're talking about the producers. For christ sakes, did that for a week?
Speaker 3: No? When I was in the well, yeah, we could go.
Speaker 4: But when I was in Broadway Bound, yeah, right, Broadway bound, I had a fourteen month contract.
Speaker 1: At the ten month mark, I knew I was not No, I lost my mind. And and what's interesting is I learned how to act and at the same time I reached the threshold of my tolerance. I had to come to a new way of doing the show, and I did in a work for me instead of doing a show, I was doing a decatalon and each of these scenes became events, and I was trying to score tens on each event, and it came not about the audience. It became about me that I knew what a ten was and I'm going for it, and if the audience don't like it, that's their problem. But if I hit a ten, it's a ten.
Speaker 3: That help reframing it that way It.
Speaker 1: Did because I could get out clean from a performance no matter what. I never had a bad It wasn't like, ah, that the bunch of idiots, they're crazy, you know, That's what happens in the long run. And the long run people talk about how bad the audience is, right, uh, you know, and I said, I'm gonna give that up because I don't think that's beneficial to you. Wow, you know, I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: I remember doing same play Broadway Bound, and you know, the first six months you're going, oh, I hope they laugh, Oh I hope they left. After six months you go to last who care they laugh at anything?
Speaker 1: I know that that was used to laugh.
Speaker 3: So you do get demented, it does. It does happen.
Speaker 1: Well, not even that, but I was working with and you know, uh, this woman who is insane, who used to she used to hawk into a curtain before she went on stage, here we go, you know, and that she would go, I'm like, ah, And so there was a curtain with stalactites and stalagmites hanging off of it that I would have to push out of the way to get on stage. Oh my oh. We had a replacement. One time. We had a guy who was replacing for the father. He went on stage. He was wearing his jacket inside out. I said to him, schmuck, you got your jacket on his side out? He said, it's been established. Wait, oh my god. So speaking of weight, was this the show that you left college? One credit shy for what happened is you know, I went to New York. I had a you know, I'm waiting tables. I'm waiting tables at Wolf's Deli across from Lincoln Center. The worst, Oh god, I hate it. I had to wear a stupid little jacket, and I had the cater to all these old women who are like, I want it on the side, and you know, it's like, yes, I'm not lean and on the side. Okay, fine, So that's where when I get the cold. But I got the job. I am wearing the stupid little jacket. I go, excuse me, just a moment I went out into the street through the jacket into the street, never went back, just walked out of there, thinking I'll never wait tables again.
Speaker 3: Not so okay before so we'll go to the wait thing in a minute. But and this I think is a really no really if I got this correct, and you before, what are you ringing before you it's a preparatory really no, really, So I read and I think I got it right that you were doing a sketrow in England with Emma Thompson. Yes, Emma Thompson is ultimately kind of responsible for a lot of things in your life, and that she turned you on to Kenneth Browna, yes, who gave you a game.
Speaker 1: And I tried to turn her off. So Kenneth I told him, I said, I look, if you're going to marry him, marry him like a black widow spider and then eat his head, which is so sweet.
Speaker 3: So Kenneth Brona puts you in something and which got you to Oliver Stone, which got you to Paul Verhoven, which got you to Spielberg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well not necessarily in that order. How it how it begins is I I got to Oliver Stone from Lincoln Center and from other things, uh, from recent Brayman and being seen, you know uh. And I remember auditioning for Oliver for JFK and them saying, uh, don't be theatrical. Whatever you do, don't be theatrical. He hates theatrical. What do you expect me to do? Oh? Do you do? But in any case, I went in and I gave this Georgia kicker, kind of like accident, because I know that I was looking for somebody and I growed up in Bartokay and the Georgia. I had to do it. So I did that accent and Oliver loved it, loved it. That is not the actual, thank you very much. So then I get to New Orleans to do JFK, and I'm playing a real guy, this guy Numa Bertell, and he's from the French Quarter. He's from the you know, hey, tod Lock Hey comes from Choppatolas. He's got that kind of the wall on stand, different kind of accent than the when I was doing. And so I'm trying to so I'm going to do that for me, Goes, I don't want that, but I want what you did in the audition, I go. But that's wrong. That's not the accurate accent for this guy. I don't care I go, but I do.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: And he hated me for the rest of the picture and so he would say things to me. He would taunt me, he would be mean to me. We would be doing a scene because you have dialogue in this scene, you think it can handle it.
Speaker 3: So is this an accurate quote? When asked what it was like working on Jake FK, you said, so, is this an accurate quote? When asked what was like working on Jake FK, you said, it's like being held hostage in a bank. All did I say? That? Is it?
Speaker 1: But it was dalk day afternoon.
Speaker 3: It was a good picture. Oh my god. Wow. No.
Speaker 1: So uh. And on the last day he's going, uh, you know to Laurie Metcheff, you're going to miss me. When he looked at me and he goes, You're not going to miss me.
Speaker 3: No, uh, let me just let's me finish this area. Yes, yes, Verhoven. You go to Verhoven and you're in the famous movie which is of the Shawn some basic incident.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, how that happened is it is simply an audition going into the like you're going to meet Paul Verhoven. You're going to meet him in a hotel room. It's one of those I'm like, oh great, okay, all right, So, like you know, I go up the stairs and waiting at the door, and the door open and he's there with a camera. Hello, Yes you're coming, come in, Come in. All right, okay, look into the camera. Okay, okay, all right, look closer. Okay. Now maybe you do a.
Speaker 7: Lick with your lips. Okay, you do a lick, but good, good, good, good good. Maybe you do another lick, maybe the lick lick.
Speaker 6: Then I go lick lick mm hmmm, yes, but now maybe you do a third lick lick, click, dick, and I go like, lick go no, too many licks.
Speaker 3: And this was your reaction and you supposed to be you looking at her in that famous scene. Now is it true? Because I know people probably asking then times what did you see? You had you were looking into it? I was looking.
Speaker 1: I saw the mac box, I mean the camera. I got a panavision camera like an inch from my face, you know, and everybody else is going we and I'm just like, hey, you know, I don't see nothing.
Speaker 3: So you didn't see nothing, but you sweated like was she.
Speaker 4: Even on the set when you were doing no No?
Speaker 3: So there's there's that yes. And then because of all the.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine this sense memory it took to come up.
Speaker 3: With that sweat to really feel like you were looking at me. Yes, Spielberg saw your sweating and you were the first one cast in the Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: This is this is what I was told that he like he saw me in in basic instinct and thought, what if that were a dinosaur instead of a you know, a wide open vagina? And uh and so no, literally I got cast. I had an agent at Gersha at the time, who said, are you sitting down? I said no, no, but I will if you'd like cases Steven Spielberg and I'm like, okay, uh, why is that so startling to do? But but literally I am I not met Spielberg. I've gotten cast. I was flown to Kawhi. They took me in a in a bus up a cane road covered in mud and it's rocking and whatever. We get to the top of the cane road to blue Hole in Kawhi, the rainiest place in the United in the world three hundred and sixty days a year it rains there, but they had rain machines in case, uh, and they used them. So we get there to the gates of Jurassic Park. We pull up to the gates of Jurassic Park, and at the bottom of the gates of Jurassic Park is Spielberg with you know, and I walk up to him and I go, I hope I'm the guy you wanted. He is this the other one? Wow? Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 3: Like that? Movie must have been tough to do. I mean, you might it was.
Speaker 1: I was soaking wet. I was as fat as a human can be. I mean most of the time while I was on the picture, people are going, He's gonna blow, you know, And I'm like, no, I'm all right, I'm soaking wet. And they've got like this kind of like a polo shirt that's not very stretchy that goes over. I mean that I have to while wet put on take on, take off, take on, take off.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: No, it was not an iconic scene. And then the last question about that, is this true or false? Because the rumor is one night, I guess you were filming here and this spit or that that dinosaur spit in your face and it was a purple dye. Yeah, they had to go to Seinfeld and her face was purple.
Speaker 1: The problem with this is the guy who's like, I was shot in the face with a h an air rifle filled with dyed black k white jelly. There is a guy who was shooting me with the thing. He's looking at me disdainfully. Should I find troubling? And he said, uh, don't blink or I'll have to do it again. I'm like, okay, so you have to turn the camera and without blinking, I'm going to shoot you between the eyes with this with this gun.
Speaker 3: And if you blink, I'm going to do it again.
Speaker 1: It took two takes. I couldn't the first day. But that guy now lives across the street from me and he has a better house than I do. All right, I hit the bells.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. So there. Now you were three, like three sixty at that point, right.
Speaker 1: Oh no, not that. I was like three twenty seven and a half.
Speaker 3: I read that when you lost away with the fear became the doctor saying to you and it was doing a signful episode that you were complicating or something you know what.
Speaker 1: Happened is there. It was the episode where the farmer's daughter and and and the farmer and and they and they bringing the bottle deposit. So I got Rance Howard firing a gun over my head and my running through the field, and this girl is yelling lying goodbye Norman. She didn't know the name Newman. She literally was too stupid to figure out that it was Newman, not Norman. And we kept it in. So I'm running back and forth in this fake cornfield with my pants down, and and I'm known for being able to run quickly. Don't don't blow by that. I remember watching him and going, this guy can move not anymore. I was fast, and now I'm going to have back surgery in a couple of weeks. Uh. But in any case, So I'm running back forth, runningack forth, running back for We're doing it over and over again, and I'm getting what feels like angina paints. So I go immediately to cardiologist and I say, I any think I'm gonna And he's like, yeah, you got hardening of the heart on one side from blood pressure changes and this, and then if you don't change your life.
Speaker 3: You're going to die.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't want to die, Okay, So I went to a trainer, started the whole process and began, you know, everything I could think of to lose the weight. And I did lose you know, a good portion of it. During Seinfeld there was you could see some loss. Yes, as you were coming down. I was going up. Yeah, and then and then I laughed, and you know who the hell knows, but I mean it was. This has been the lifelong thing. You know, you go down, I've got like forty eight different pairs of pants. You know, Oh it's Tuesday. I'll wear those you.
Speaker 3: And I got for the both of you because I know you had a weight thing. Can I go down the list of stuff to see if you if you used it to lose weight? Ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then I want to come back to fen fit.
Speaker 3: Yes, no verbal light no, no atkins yes, and.
Speaker 1: Gave me kidney stones all right, thank you.
Speaker 3: Beverly Hills diet no, my wife though the zone yes, yes, palio yes, gastric sleeve no yes, gastric bypass, no, LiPo, no stomach stapling, no, grapefood diet, no Master cleans. Yes.
Speaker 1: In fact, you were there. I was on it for sixteen days?
Speaker 3: Were there?
Speaker 5: Hell?
Speaker 3: Were you there?
Speaker 4: You were working on a on a show that we had developed together. And I'm in the writer's room on day sixteen of The Men, I feel great.
Speaker 1: Day six tewn, I'm never gonna eat again. Day sixteen of the.
Speaker 4: Master Glenns And somebody pitches me an idea and I go, yeah, what was that?
Speaker 3: My brain just shut down, just stopped work. Jenny Craig, Yes, wait watchers, Yes, any kind of food delivery service. Yes, so you Wow, this shows you how hard it is to change behavior and your patterns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, you and I also I went to the place we don't talk about, you know, we were the twelve step place we don't talk about.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Went there as well, and that was actually quite beneficial for me. Yeah, but I don't and I have never used it because of the fear of you know, not being like I see people who take the ozmpacause I can't stop. I can't stop. You know you're looking at at Sharon Osborne and whatever, and she's I wanted to gain back in your life.
Speaker 3: Well, you're starting to find some stuff long term that may happen from that. I know that you can't have surgery. You got to tell your antiesthesiologies because they confect your surgery. Anesthesia. There's something to do when you're on it, and they give you the different ways.
Speaker 4: So you know, you left that one that I actually did try as well, and that was hypnotherapy.
Speaker 3: And you're looking at me.
Speaker 4: But Wayne, at one point you and I had discussed and this this was because because we're show is always about things that really kind of boggle our mind and make us go, what could that be about?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: But I remember you telling me at one point you would you would. I remember seeing you you looked, not that you know, being thinner is necessarily the thing.
Speaker 3: But you you were.
Speaker 4: You were really pretty trim, and you look really fit, and you had lost I think you said close to one hundred pounds and work sort of dry it up.
Speaker 1: Nobody knew really what to.
Speaker 4: Do, and you're nobody really say you look like a leading man.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the worst possible thing that could have happened. I understand. I mean like people are going, what I need is a really attractive looking wing night. No, that's not what people want. I want someone I can safely ridicule and kick if if if I can't ridicule you. What the hell do I want you for now? But so what do you how do you get around? What do you do with that?
Speaker 4: I mean, well the way I mean the way you do blessed career, but what well, the best.
Speaker 1: Thing that happened to me was doing art on Broadway. It didn't really lead to other things in that direct way, but I got a little review as the Times was looking at the people who'd replaced and whatnot, and they said something nice like, by the end of the play, you forgot that Newman ever existed. And that was to me one of the greatest things that anybody could say to me, you know. I mean, I'm very proud of of Newman, and I'm very proud of the characters that I've done. I give them full intent, I go all the way, you know. But I also started out doing straight film and comedy television. I didn't do comedy in film. It was weird, you know. It allowed me kind of back and forth until Seinfeld happened, and then you know you're who you are. You want to look. There's so many things that come from being famous, and there's so many negative things that come from being famous. You got to take the good with the band. You know what I mean for you?
Speaker 4: Was Newman a net neutral or a net positive?
Speaker 1: I think I think it's a net positive because you know, there's so many things. It gives you credibility in a way that you can't get otherwise. I mean, you know, you delivered, and you delivered on a show that I believe delivered for me, so I will look at you. Let's come on in, right, So I think that that gives entree in a way.
Speaker 4: So for me, you know, it's we talked about it before we started taping. You know, there were two years where I blatantly and without trying to hide it, wor to pay because I had I had lost so many roles to producers who said, well, I don't want the.
Speaker 1: Audience to think of you as George.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You know, my theater career was more often than not, playing fifteen people a night. I'm a little bit of a chameleon, and you know I desperately tried to create a different impression. So I feel blessed and there's never a day that I don't thank God Almighty and Jerys. I felt Larry David for giving me the life that I have. But but George has opened a lot of doors. George has closed a lot of doors for me that are not going to open it. But I at least and I don't I don't mean to put it in these terms, but it's it's a reality. I was compensated for that in an extraordinary.
Speaker 1: This is exactly the problem. Yeah, it is exactly the problem, because if you were not, then all what you get afterwards, you are not being compensated for in terms of the time lost, right and then and what what I didn't understand too, is that there are opportunities that come at the end of a show, and if those opportunities don't hit, then you're back at sea, right, you know, And you think, well, this is just the beginnings of you know, the opportunities that will come from having done this, But you don't know that, and you don't understand that. And uh, I have a much better view of the business now than I did when I was young. And it's, you know, just commodities broken, it's it's just you know what's hot at the moment.
Speaker 3: Right, A lot of pictures for your own sitcom right after timefa.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually Larry Charles wrote, uh a sitcom for me, and to which you know, Jerry said, Larry anyway, he said, I understand an insane monologue, but an entire sit gun in a pilot.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And and we were we were pitching it, you know, uh to Jamie Tarsus and and uh was it war Warren and Warren and and Jamie and and uh they were eating, uh a sandwich at the time. And they were both having sandwiches at the time, and uh, and Larry had come in. Larry Charles had come in wearing pajamas. And I'm like, you couldn't wear a sweater, like, maybe pretend you engulfed once, you know, I mean we're meeting network people. It's they'd like that kind of thing. And and the first thing he talked about was this, you know, it's very much like Hamlet's Ghost, you know, when Hamlet's Ghost comes in and Hamlet and I'm like, my eyes are spinning up in my head and I'm thinking, this is the end of.
Speaker 3: My grid right now. And it was you had agreed that going in, Well, no, I me just.
Speaker 1: Did I understand. It was a great show. It was a great show. It was about a vegetarian butcher in Brooklyn has to come home to save the butcher shop because his father has died, and you know, on the street it was all good.
Speaker 4: But you know it's just the wasn't Newmansk or was it a different a whole different kind of character.
Speaker 1: I you know, I'm sure it was uh Newmanesque in some ways, because you know at the time, I you know what happens is you've become successful at something and then immediately you say, well, I must repudiate that, right, Why why would you do that? It's like I wanted to play only serious roles of Nordic men with blonde hair, and I was like, come on, you know, it's just.
Speaker 3: Like I was talking to William Macy interviewing William Macy, and he said, when I was in my twenties, it was all about can I change make a difference with it? He said, in my forties it was about to catch and now at my age it do I have to get wet?
Speaker 5: Yeah, which is exactly where you're It's just it's just that different.
Speaker 3: But you were looking back, you would have Doneman. By the way, Jason hit me with the line, we were both so excited when you're coming in and you got. I just laughed out loud.
Speaker 4: Because he asked me, what, you know, what would the iconic moments? And I said, well, Wayne had two lines that you know, basically shut me and everybody else down.
Speaker 1: One of them I think you had libbed. The other moment scripted, but.
Speaker 3: And it sounds like an ad lib from you. He he who controls the mail, controls information.
Speaker 1: I don't know the one the one ad lib was. And then it's, uh, the barcode reader breaks and it's publishers clearing out sweets takes day.
Speaker 4: But I think didn't you also? Was it the one that killed me? I thought it was an AdLib? Is when you're driving the mail truck and it burst in the flames and you went, oh.
Speaker 3: You know. The cool thing was I used to go visit him on the set and watching everybody do this constantly, the joy on that set was just something.
Speaker 4: Well, let me, can I ask you a question about that. I wasn't thinking about this, but so recently I've seen, Uh, there was an actor named Armand Shimmerman who did an episode of our show, and I saw something about Keith her Nandez, both of which Armand said that our cast was was very unwelcoming, unwell coming to him. He felt like he was not appreciated at all. Keith Nanda said, I, in particular was I think the word was standoffish. I always thought we were and I'm not looking for a compliment here. I thought we were kind of a welcoming set. We were excited about people.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been on another show?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well then, and you still think that anyway? We were we now? Were we cold? Were we welcoming? Were we warm? Were we were professional? Huh? And you were the top show on television and it was like, this is opening night on Broadway, don't fuck it up? Is that the vibe before?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: The vibe is that everybody was thrilled to be there and they and they understood the nature of this beast. And Jerry was very was welcoming, a friendly and Larry was scary as hell because he was too relaxed seeming, and you couldn't like, how could somebody so laconic and loose.
Speaker 3: Be scary right right right right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: I think that. No. I think that I enjoyed being on the show because every time you started a scene, you knew it delivered. You just had to not be in the way of it right, find the joke, hit the joke, the joke is there. So I mean the number of shows I've been on where you know, you go on an expedition to find the joke right. This was not that the material was it was always good.
Speaker 4: It's you know, it's just really interesting to me because I always I knew that Jerry, for the most part, was a warm host for people.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, I I hoped that I was. I felt like Julia was.
Speaker 4: I know, Michael was off and off working on his own on stuff, but I thought we were all kind of gracious. But I have been on enough other shows to know where the warm ones, Like working on MASL and working on Young Sheldon. I went, oh, this is I feel like I've been here for a long time. I feel like I'm part of the family walking right. And there are other shows and you're walking into a very dysfunctional family.
Speaker 1: Or doesn't feel you can hear the wind blowing, you know, there aren't conversations going on where people are playing with each other and then they're doing the show. Third Rock was the most friendly show I had ever been on because John Lifgo's father was ran a Shakespeare theater, and so he knew how to be the captain of a ship. It was ingrained in him how to take care of people, to be gracious, to make sure that everybody was together, to keep it, you know, moving. And by the way, we didn't get to it. But back to the fat the fact that you know, just in researching, it's really interesting because I was a chubby kid. You know, I went to the husky shop, you know where you couldn't Yes.
Speaker 4: Like I'm leading the pack at the next I did.
Speaker 1: A husky Where did they.
Speaker 3: Come over the high right? Yeah? Yeah, picture of a Siberian husky's head in a three piece suit was so low. Yeah, I went, mom, really, so I have to go to the.
Speaker 1: Place for wide shoes. I had to go to the place with wide clothes.
Speaker 4: Every freaking thing on me was wide whale corduroy, and I went, that's great, right into the name.
Speaker 1: But then you also have the chafing in the other.
Speaker 3: Ye actually just sticks together.
Speaker 1: On d royal corduroy on a fat person is just a way of starting a fire in the woods.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So to that point though, it's it's with these there's ozembic shaming now which is fascinating people going, oh, she probably took it, Oh he didn't take it. I can lie.
Speaker 1: Why do you have to do it hard?
Speaker 3: Or well, why should you judge who's doing it? But I never realized to the extent because when you get into the medical area, and I don't know if you've ever experienced it, when you're heavy to doctors, when you talk to them, they're listening to you about whatever you're saying. But it's really, you know what, lose forty pounds is the beginning to do it the right right, that's what you have. And I didn't realize with the fat shaming, how many people don't want to go to the doctor, how many people are emparised to go to a hospital because the way you're treated, and it's a big I've.
Speaker 1: Got to go. I've got to go have surgery on my back from you know, just being obese, and also thinking that my job was to do falls. Oh I did falls for so many years. I started in college falling down concrete stairs, doing falls left and yeah. And so I'm on the last show I'm doing I'm practicing this fall like eighteen times before we shoot it. Because I wanted to be just right, and I'm like, what are you an idiot? You know, so I've totally wrecked myself. But in going to the doctor, because my legs are all beat up from all the I don't want to go, and I want them to see that when I was doing Jurassic Park, I was, you know, eighteen zillion pounds, and my leg kept hitting the jeep in trying to open the gates and I couldn't get in and out of the jeep fast enough. The thing is ripping the skin off my leg. And so I'm in kawhi. Everybody else is swimming and whatever. I've got a giant, gaping wound on my leg. I don't go to the doctor because I'm afraid that they'll tell me I'm gonna die. I'm fat, so I don't want to hear it. My doctor does the same.
Speaker 3: It's a very serious thing for me.
Speaker 1: He does the same rap every time. I was just there.
Speaker 4: I was just there and he's a wonderful guy, and he does the whole checkup. You go in the office and this is his rap every time.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 4: First of all, God bless your mom and dad. The netics day've handed you. You are such a healthy guy. Your blood work is perfect, your lungs are clear, your heart is good, You've got no plaque, your cholesterol is great, blah blah blah. Your liver function, your kidney function, terrific. God bless you. You should live to be one hundred and ten. Pause pause, What the do I have to do to get twenty five pounds up? Always comes down to that, And honestly, it makes me go, I don't want to go.
Speaker 1: I know what he's gonna know, I say to him is, look, I don't want to shame my children by living to be one hundred and thirty. Let me die in one hundred and ten. But it is shit, you know, And I told you you never And this is true.
Speaker 4: People who I've known who are really battling weight, who haven't have an eating problem.
Speaker 1: I never seen the meat. No, they don't eat, they don't need, they don't need. They only eat like when if there's a blackout, you know, and people are looting, they're.
Speaker 4: Eating right, And I'd have the most delicate, little low calorie meal and go home and eat a gallon and a half of hogging doze.
Speaker 1: I mean it, just so there's.
Speaker 3: There's a new study. This is really interesting. This just came out. Brain changes could be the reason it's hard to lose weight. Oh zemping and these similar drubs mimic the effects of a type of foremone in the body. It impacts everything from the brain to muscles, to the pancreas, the stomach, in the liver. Without taking something to change the hormonal levels in the body, people with certain genetics simply cannot lose weight and keep it off. When we try to lose weight with diet exercise alone, the hunger hormone skyrocket, the satiety hormones drop, and it's almost impossible to keep the weight off. They're powerful hormonal forces that are pushing the body to gain weight. So they're finding there's stuff going on that's not so simplistic, which is cut this out, cut this out, which is why the list of diets we talked about don't work for a lot of people. And they just say it's behavioral changes. But now there may be hormonal changes where your body is trying to push. Well, what are the.
Speaker 1: Things like from I don't know, there's some aglutides the or what the word is for what ozembic is and what all those type of GEO one year antagonists. You know, in terms of it can affect how you can drink, how you can take sweets. How uh, because us the things that give you serotonin based on eating, it cuts off. So the chocolate that would work for you or alcohol that would work for you might not work for you.
Speaker 3: I've heard, I've heard in several cases so far the same thing where somebody who had an alcoholic problem, right, it helped with all the addiction at the same time because it's hitting whatever this the nerve center is or the receptors for that, for society and for releasing the drugs.
Speaker 1: Except if you want to hit someone with a ballpeen hammer, that still is there. Okay, thank god, thank god the classics system.
Speaker 3: Yes, the balpeen hammer diet has not been No dis I tried.
Speaker 1: The ball peen hammer diet and it was startling.
Speaker 3: Congratulating you're in the.
Speaker 4: As we wrap up? Yes, what do we with the bookie? Is your is your new show?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: And also I have a series coming out this year called Them On on Amazon. Is that thing?
Speaker 3: No? It is.
Speaker 1: Actually it takes place in Los Angeles during the days of Darryl Gates and I play a police detective and it is a one of these kind of horror shows about race. But I'm not a bad guy.
Speaker 4: Not theatrical ladies and gentlemen, our friend Wayne Knight, actor extraordin there. Thank you for coming, thank you for hanging out a pleasure, the joy of your company for all this.
Speaker 1: No, I barely know about the show. But you got all the merchan.
Speaker 3: We have the one we have one.
Speaker 1: It's I got a shirt that Peter refuses to wear.
Speaker 4: He has a cup that he gave it to me, and it didn't last. He didn't get through the dishwasher one cycle. Didn't even get through the dishwasher.
Speaker 1: I think a do rag is the next thing.
Speaker 3: All right, you're now our merchandise director, god.
Speaker 9: Bless really no, really, gentlemen, all right, David, I think we know my buddy Wayne Knight pretty well, but perhaps we skipped something important.
Speaker 1: What might we have not known?
Speaker 3: You know, you covered it pretty well.
Speaker 10: I think Wayne's filmography, the ups and downs. But you know, as we saw, Wayne has lost a lot of waite, and we were saying that, you know, he might have lost out on a bunch of roles and perhaps some role he could wear, and he actually wouldn't be the first one to do this where a yes, yes, right now, this is a very controversial piece of costume, right, A lot of people.
Speaker 8: Object that it exists. I think you should cast the Brendan Fraser. Of course, remember in twenty twenty two One Best Actor for the Well where he played a a.
Speaker 1: Man of great size.
Speaker 8: So there are other films out there that also used a actor that was not on the same size. We have the thing about Pam with renee Zelwigger who played Pam.
Speaker 3: Hop Colin Farrell, right, he was in the Latest.
Speaker 1: As the Penguinaman, May.
Speaker 3: I just stop everybody for a second, say Jason would love to do that role?
Speaker 4: Every No, you know what I mean. Here's what we said in my group. They we saw Colin Farrell as the penguin, we went so they made him look like Richard Khin. Why don't they just hire Richard Kahan. I mean, honestly, he wasn't affecting Richard Kaine, but but he kind of what they did to him facially sort of example.
Speaker 1: Rich that's what you're going for? Richardson flat was actor.
Speaker 3: Hi Richard have the Penguin? Talking about Richard kain.
Speaker 1: O Batman Batman, I'm coming to get you.
Speaker 3: I'm not why why? Why? Why not go.
Speaker 4: After the Riddler? And Richard has a very distinct voice, but you can change it. He's a Constantine, all right.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 10: You also have the great actor Jared Lado, who played Polo Gucci in the twenty one House of Gucci.
Speaker 3: That was a.
Speaker 4: Bizarre that was That was one of those things where I went unless that guy, the guy he's playing, sounded like it really sounded like that.
Speaker 3: That's a weird choice.
Speaker 4: Somebody went down an awfully strange road and nobody put up a stobs vert.
Speaker 3: And he also did Mark David Shapman didn't, he didn't play Jared Leno played Chapman. I think so.
Speaker 4: Finis Why do you forget the one that's gonna hit me right in that herd?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We have the.
Speaker 8: Wonderful Sarah Paulson who don de fat suit to play the infamous Linda Trip.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, that's right, the trip.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep.
Speaker 8: We have hair Spray, the theatrical version, where we have John Travolta playing Edna Turnplast was an interesting choice. Another one very controversial.
Speaker 3: In the Elvis biopic.
Speaker 1: We have Tom Hanks wearing the Colonel, The Colonel.
Speaker 3: David thank you.
Speaker 4: Well wait he didn't get to the one that's gonna hit me right, God go ahead.
Speaker 1: Throw it at one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, starring Gwyneth Falton Paltrow who played Rosebery, and of course Shallow.
Speaker 1: House right and boy that we got.
Speaker 4: There were people outside that theaters also.
Speaker 3: There were all these people there who had tails who were really upset about Jason getting that part.
Speaker 1: You know, you always diminish, you have to diminish.
Speaker 3: I know what it was who made the tail. You were another guy I don't even know where the cables were.
Speaker 4: But ran down to clean him. Well, that tail was they They came one night. It wasn't in the script, by the way. So we're in the middle shooting and I'm in the hotel. One night after the shooting, got a call from Peter Farreley.
Speaker 1: You in tonight?
Speaker 3: You in? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is a guy coming over to take a mold of your ass? I went, uh, huh is this uh film related or is this just for your personal use? And he comes over and he does it, and now they make a they make like a girdle, a latex girdle that has the tail apparatus and a spring inside of it with a wire that goes down the bottom of it out in my leg and I.
Speaker 1: Got two guys five feet no.
Speaker 4: Apparently somebody that I met recently I can't remember who says they have it, that it was auctioned off, and that they have it.
Speaker 1: If you, if you hear this and you're that person.
Speaker 3: Let us learn. But yeah, yeah, well David, thank you, thank you, Laurie, thank you, Jason, thank you.
Speaker 1: Wayne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now really has another episode of Really No Really comes to a close. I know you're wondering did anyone else ever play the role of Newman on Seinfeld? That answer in a moment, But first let's thank our guest, the wonderful mister Wayne Knight. You can follow him on x where he is at eye Wayne Knight. Our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at Really No Really podcast, And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing fact or story that boggles your mind, share it with us, and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. And now the answer to the question, did anyone else ever play Newman on Seinfeld?
Speaker 3: Technically yes.
Speaker 2: The first reference to the Newman character was in a second season episode entitled The Revenge. In that episode, we only hear the voice of an Upscarirs neighbor in Jerry's building, who is named Newman.
Speaker 3: We never see the character appear on screen.
Speaker 2: Newman is threatening to jump from the fire escape and he briefly engages in a verbal exchange with Kramer, who is yelling to him from a window. However, in that episode, Seinfeld co creator Larry David voiced the role of Newman, technically making him the originator of the role.
Speaker 3: One season later, Newman.
Speaker 2: Made his first appearance on screen in an episode ironically titled The Suicide. And it was Wayne Knight who walked through that door. And after that Newman would never be anyone but Wayne.
Speaker 11: In fact, before the series wrapped up its ninth season, the producers decided to have Wayne record the lines that Larry David had done in The Revenge, So if you watch that episode now, it is Wayne's voicey here, and with that we say goodbye Newman too.
Speaker 3: That they couldn't afford to give you a first name.
Speaker 2: No Really, Billie, No Really, is a production of iHeart Radio and Plausa Entertainment
Speaker 1: MHM