Speaker 1: Worrying. Today's episode contain spoilers for the Penguin All Max Episode one Little Episode one of the Penguin Watch Yet you listen to us? Okay, Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Mercy Night and welcome back to the xt rat vision of the podcast, when we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming to you from My Heart podcast where we bring you to do do episodes every week two say Thursday.
Speaker 2: In today's episode in the Airlop, we are heading to the grimy streets of Gotham to delve into the Penguin. Episode one. Matt Reeves Batman spin off is here, and we will be breaking it down. And in the comics corner, we're gonna be asking when does the Penguin actually take place in the comic book timeline, Like if you look at the Batman comics, what is going on? And when is this taking place? And is it actually taking influence from any comics at all. We'll be answering all those questions.
Speaker 1: And next up, let's talk about the Penguin.
Speaker 3: Whoop bomba bah bah blah bah bah woke up in Gossam. The power in my hands, built by empire, got a plan to rule this land. That's right, it's the story of Ozzie copp Oswald Coppa Gulu.
Speaker 1: Crazy is Aswald Copaca the Penguiny Beyes Me Penguin Season one, episode one, episode one of the limited series that thus far gotta say is great.
Speaker 2: It is pretty fantastic, pretty great, open, pretty stunning.
Speaker 1: Directly in the wakes in the wake of the events from The Batman.
Speaker 2: It is literally a week after The Batman, and we recently found out that The Batman too will take place a week after the end of this show. Oh wow, Okay, so Matt Reeves said, this is happening, so quick, quick, quick recap of what happened at the end of The Batman.
Speaker 1: The Griddler, as per his plans, destroyed the sea wall protecting the city from the waters surrounding it. Much of the city, but honestly mostly the kind of lower income districts. Yeah. Yeah, And so it's like a Hurricane Katrina esque situation. And tell us what's going on with some of the crime figures in the wake of The Batman.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is a big This is going back to some of the most famous Batman or our stuff. So you have the Falconies and who we first met in Batman Year one, which is by Frank Miller and David Mazakelli, which makes a lot of sense because The Batman was kind of meant to be a Batman Year two era. That is who we met sal for Falcony it John Taturo's character, who we learned in the World of the Batman was also the father of Catwoman. He was killed and now we're in a situation where the families are in a mess. Salmrony, who we saw briefly mentioned because he'd been put in prison in The Batman, is played by Clancy Brown in The Wonderful The Yeah, the Fantastic Clancy Brown and Sammaroni is a really old school Batman villain. He was from Detective Comics sixty six. So you're talking about the originators of Batman, Bill Finger and Bob Cain. It is very classical kind of representations of what people thought mobsters were. I think, if I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure Carma and Falconi was meant to be based on don Vito Corleoni from the Godfather. And then The Long Halloween, which was the Jeff Low Tim Sale comic is when we met the wider Falconi family, who play a massive part in this story. And interestingly, it is not The Long Halloween. Let's just preface that. We'll talk more about the comics later, but a lot of people though it might be The Long Halloween. But basically where we are now is Maroni's in prison, his family wants revenge. Falconi is dead, and his family's trying to work out who's going to take over. And guess who thinks he should take over? Oh Ozzie Cobbs, Oh Ozzie korn Cobbs.
Speaker 1: So you laid out Rosie. With Marconi dead, his son Alberto is positioned to take the crown to become the leader of the crime family. Only issue is Alberta is addicted to drops. He's got a lot of addiction. He's a drop head. He's a drop head. And so in this landscape with like two crime families kind of jostling for power and the city and chaos, the penguin is looking to like climb up the ladder. Azzi Cabbaducco, Ozzie Cobb. He breaks into his the Old Club to get into the contents of a secret safe. He's got in this safe a bunch of blackmail files so that he can start squeezing some of the local politicians. And he's got a bunch of jewels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's clear that this is sal Falcon's. This is this is I mean, this is common Falcony's like, this is his secret secrets stash.
Speaker 1: So Alberto the Son gets to drop on the penguin, but the penguin as he will do clearly throughout the Yeah, a thing about watching this, It talks himself, I was getting these jools for you.
Speaker 2: Wanted to make sure no one else caught him, get myself in that.
Speaker 1: You know, Alberto, I've always been a big supporter you. You know what I mean, I understand you and a lot of pressure everybody you know looking looking at you now, and Alberto is like, yeah, it's clear like he's feeling it. He also hints that he's got some sort of secret deal, secret drug deals, some new experimental drug that can revolutionize the drug tradeing Gotham. He's working on that. Now. Oz takes the opportunity. Here's that and he's like, oh, that's interesting, and he immediately is like, let me get this kid talking he brings. He's like, hey, I know you got the drop problem, but that means you could drink, right, you drink Hey, So they started drinking. One thing leads to another use. You know, Alberto is absolutely doing drops, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I'm guessing cops just like Oswald gave him the drops, you know, that's what he wanted. And I want to say, I find it so funny that every time in these stories, like whether it's in the comics or in the movies or in you know, eighties movies like RoboCop two, there is something that people find so appealing storytellers about this, like a new drug sitting in the streets, a new street drug. And that was definitely a big thing in The Batman with drops, but we're getting an expansion on it here, and I'm very interested to know what Alberto's new drug is because it definitely feels like it could be some kind of scarecrow.
Speaker 1: I think situation. Yeah, I think it's scarecrow stuff. So the kid starts talking more about this drug and he's very very enthused about it, about the way it's going to revolutionize the drug trade, et cetera. Meanwhile, the penguin is playing it as he will again all series, like he's he's just a yes man, like he's just one yeah, regular thug.
Speaker 4: Yeah you got a guy, what a great idea, boss, And then he starts talking about, uh, the penguin does about his like come up in organized crime, Uh you know the hoods that like took him under his wing, and how the leaders that he really respected that taught him.
Speaker 1: The ropes were like beloved, not just you know, they were killers obviously in criminals, but their their gang members like loved them because they would They were beloved and people were loyal to him and the kid Alberto takes offense to this. He's like, what do you think, you know, like critiquing the way I'm doing things, and then he realizes that like the penguin is talking about how he wants to be a leader.
Speaker 2: And I am, and how he wants to be remembered.
Speaker 1: Now Alberto, high on drops and drunk, is starts mocking the penguin like you fucking you know, get even a cripple, Yeah, forget it. So the penguin just shoots him dead and then I love it immediately, just like you know, he's he's happy for about forty five seconds. You're very satisfied with himself. And then he realizes I just killed the boss, Like I just killed the new boss. This is a problem, right, So we get the title card, which is great, and then we come back and the penguin is he's wrapped the body up and he's trying to figure out, like how am I gonna dispose his body? Unlocks Alberta's phone, so you get more information about the drug deal, you know, using his dead face and puts it up to him.
Speaker 2: Love how people do that in shows. Now, it's like so grimmest way of whatever. That thing is cool because I don't have it where you put your face on the thing. But yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 1: So he goes outside. When he goes outside, he finds these kids breaking into his his plum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his purple Mazarati, which first of all, Matt reads, this is not grounded, but that is an Italian car.
Speaker 1: I gotta get an Italian car, you know.
Speaker 2: I wi what the penguin would drive. And I love the little not his his costume colors. Also, he is going to regret this car so much because believe that everybody knows that as Oswald's car throughout the show and it is going to get him in so much trouble.
Speaker 1: Well, no, he's got the fulvo too, we'll get so, you know, the penguin immediately shooting the kids and then he catches one of them, Victor Victor Aligar, and the kid is obviously terrified, and the penguin is like, basically, enlist this kid with a gun to his head, but you know, not literally but like figuredly most of the time. Most of the time, this kid is in fear of his life. Enlists this kid in helping him get rid of Alberto's body. So he makes Victor drive him around to wherever he's going to dispose the body. Meanwhile, he's going through Alberto's and he finds the date no information, but just like literally a calendaring a playment that says like drugs.
Speaker 2: He's like drugs at the Gotham Shipyards. Drugs.
Speaker 1: So okay, now he's got some information. Meanwhile, Oswald is like telling the kid he because he looked at the kid's license, he knows they're from the same neighborhood basically, and so he's talking about the old neighborhood when he was growing up in this place.
Speaker 2: He goes.
Speaker 1: They go to this ice cream shopp he used to go go to it. You ever get the slushy from the ice cream ship? You ether get the slushy? Would you ever get the different flavors? You gotta mix up the flavors, right that, you gotta mix it.
Speaker 2: Look, but this is very specific because he says a slush puppy, which I feel like people don't really understand. In England, we don't have a sluppy. We don't have a slushy. We just have slush puppies. So I know that someone English was writing this because that is slush puppies in America, especially on the East Coast. But for this specifically be a slush puppy, that's a really specific experience. But I was happy to hear this slushpuppy reference. And it is true that red and blue together does make a nice play of us. I agree with those.
Speaker 1: I think this episode was written by Was it written by the showrunner Laura?
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 1: So the kid kind of like very very fractionally loosens up, although he's obviously very very afraid. They go to the red light district where people know Vicor I let.
Speaker 4: Me die I'll aloud you a lot, don't think, don't get it twisted.
Speaker 2: Ozzie's down here.
Speaker 1: A lot, and Victor then notices the that the Ozzie's unique gait is the result of braces and a kind of malformed foot which Oz needs braces to kind of help him walk, and so he's got that very sideways kind of wabble wabba walk. He goes to see Eve, who is a madam, to set up an alibi in case any of the gang one's ask He's like, listen, I was I was with you, I was with you, right, So therefore he can't get fingered for Alberta's murdered.
Speaker 2: Wonderful acting here, Oh there's you learn so much here.
Speaker 1: And it's literally like the briefest scene, and you realize that the penguin has probably legitimate feelings for Eve because as you know, she's closing the door to say and saying goodbye to him, he's kind of like peering around, looking around to see if anybody's there, like he's it's clear that he has like legitimate feelings for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's played by she's played by Calm and a Djogo and who and she's just so great, like the little intimacies that they put across with this kind of open door segment, and it's clear that she's not agreeing to be his alibi because she's scared of him. She's doing it she cares about him, or there's some kind of okay. Actually interestingly as well, her name is Eve Carlo. So is this like a clay face notd what do we think? I think it is a clay face. I think there's something interesting there. Yeah, because it's ka R l O. It's like very specific, so nice little not that to a to a classic Batman villain.
Speaker 1: So they stop for sandwiches Penguin and Vic and then they carry the corpse to like a very very ruined part of the city and they put it in the trunk of a Cadillac, like a nineties Cadillac, and Penguin then takes the ring off of Alberto's finger, which is like the.
Speaker 2: It used to be Carmine's ring. It's the family ring. If you're the boss, you wear it.
Speaker 1: And he got it from the Maronis.
Speaker 2: He stole Carmin and Falcony stole it from sal as a kind of fuck you before he got put in prison, right.
Speaker 1: And so he tells and then he's like, so the penguins they shut the trunk, and the peng was like, hey, Vic, you gotta see the sunrise. Look pretty good? Turn around, take a look at that. And it's like a you know, Vic is uh vickas red and of mice and men. He knows. So he's like, hey, hey, come on and you see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can help you.
Speaker 1: I can help you out. And so the Penguin's like, okay, yeah, we give you a try.
Speaker 3: Give you a try.
Speaker 1: Kid on a on a probationary basis, will give you a try. They go to the penguin's apartment. Uh Vickxy's a family photo, a very interesting family photo in the in the penguin's apartment, it's like three young kids. And the penguin goes into his bedroom behind like these fucking steel pod.
Speaker 2: Doors, like a crazy safe door. It's so over the top and I absolutely love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. He puts the ring in the box and then we get to see him take off the braces on his feet. It's clear that his condition is quite painful. Vic drives Penguin to his drops stash house. Now, after the flood, a lot of the drug supply of Drops got flooded, so Penguin's gang is busy like basically cleaning the drops so that they don't waste all the supply and that they could use it then to sell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I like the idea that there's a great moment where because the thing is about this show that I think is so good and why I think the reviews are coming out good and why I think it's enjoyable to watch is they write Oswald as a character that you can root for, not because he's a good person, because he's always getting into a scrape, right, but they give you these moments to remind you he's a terrible person, like he literally says, like you know, they're like, well, a lot of the drops are ruined, that they're infected.
Speaker 1: The gang brings in an injured member while they're there, and it's clear that this kind of Falcony marony rivalry is beginning to heat up. Penguin gets a phone call from the Falcony shot callers and he has to go to a meeting outside of town. Vic wonders if it means they know that he killed Alberto, and Penguin says, like, listen and he's telling Vick a lot. He's like, listen, right now, nobody really knows how ambitious I am, how smart I am. I play it like I'm just a quite like a yes man. And then when I leave, I do my own thing. They go up to this mansion. It's up in Bristol Township and it's fucking gorgeous. Now the penguin when he gets out again this wonderful writing and acting where the penguin gets out and it's clear he's worried that he's out of there, but he also is covering it up with like jokes, kid, in case I don't come out, Yeah, I'm coming out. What are you talking about? YEA penguin sits with Johnny vet who's kind of like the underboss with Alberto, who knows where Alberto is. So Johnny Betty is kind of like the guy vd's guy Muos tells penguin, there's so many guys and there's so many guys. He tells a penguin that, listen, your little drop operation that we just saw, we're moving it. We're taking it from you, we're moving it out of your territory, and we're giving it this so shut it down, shut it down, And Penguin's like, what the fuck you know, we're first of all, we're doing great work, like scavenging these these distressed drops that we're going to be able to sell, like seventy percent of this stuff is going to be sellable. And VID says like, shut up, you're not the boss. The last thing we need is heat from the cops or a gang war with the with the Maronis. Now get the fuck out. And so then the penguin says, well, I'm going to make my pitch with this this thing I heard from Alberty says, hey, I've got a deal that you know, it's kind of very uh, you know, under the table right now. It's preliminary but promising. It's this experimental drug, the whole thing, and you know, no risk from you guys, like, I'll take all the risk, but yeah. Sophia Carmine Falcone's daughter recently released from Arkham because of a murder spree. She apparently went on he's listening and she asks the penguin straight out in front of VD and Melos, like do you know where Alberto is? And Vd's like, hey, Sophia, don't worry about it. Get out of here Oz, and he gives Oz forty eight hours to figure out if his drug deal is anything. Sofia comes out of the house and asks the penguin again, where's Alberto? And penguinsays, uh, you know, Alberto's the boss. Now, he's got a lot of meetings, he's doing stuff. You know, what are you talking about. Sofia's like, well, let's get lunch right now and just catch up. Okay. So they go to this very hoity toy restaurant and Sofia is eating like she hasn't seen food.
Speaker 2: Dude. It's this is such a good character bit that they do with that. Well, like she's been an kham she ain't a nice food for a long time.
Speaker 1: The wonderful Kristin Migliatti.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love Kristin Milioti so much. They were so lucky to get her for this role. She's so fucking good and I love how she is just shoveling with her hands. She's just shoving this food and Martini's it's so good, and she's like, give me another one. You know, she doesn't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: Now. The other customers are nervous because you know they are clearly in the presence of the famously psychotic killer named the Hangman, who we don't quite know what her backstory was and how it comports with the Hangman's backstort. But the Hangman was like a cop killer.
Speaker 2: Well from from the comics, which we all get into later, there is some interesting crossover here that we can talk about, and it tells us something about when this is kind of set. But yeah, they are. They are definitely perceiving her as if she is a terrifying threat and she'd cavo she or she wants to knows where's her brother?
Speaker 1: She says she doesn't blame the Penguin for her father's death. And she says that, you know, last I heard from my brother he was going to your club. Uh. And she says, also, here's an interesting thing. Alberto was working on a drug deal. It sounds very similar to the one you pitched with me, So how do you know about it? And then Penguin once again is slippery Penguin guy.
Speaker 2: He's so good at this.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, whoa that that Alberto? He's done it again. He didn't tell me about you either?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and also as well, like I think there's something really interesting here because it's clear that even though Alberto is the kind of wasteman like of the family, he's not doing anything. He's a drop addict, he is not trustworthy. It's clear that him and Sofia have like a very deep connection, and that by killing him, Penguin has obviously put himself on like a collision course with her.
Speaker 1: She she clearly loved her brother, and she talks about it, and she basically says, listen.
Speaker 2: When I was in Arkham, who came to see me?
Speaker 1: Him? That's it. Every week he came to see me. And then Pengoin's like, well, you know you might not know listen, your brother because you were incarcerated for vicious, vicious murders. Your brother's a drug addict. He's on drops, so he might be able to dropbender right now. You know, he's on the whole thing, gambling, drops, sex, the whole thing.
Speaker 2: All of it, everything bad that could be taken him out of action.
Speaker 1: He's there and he says, in any way, I wasn't even at my club yesterday. I was with Eve, all right, my girlfriend. And Sophia is still suspicious, but she's a little thrown off now and she tells Oz that listen, I'll tell you what Oz. Nobody else sees it, but I see that you're You're a capable, smart, ambitious guy.
Speaker 2: She's like, everyone else underestimates here, that's right me, And I like, oh, that's so scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now OZ is very very concerned, and we're concerned here as well, that they might shut us down unless you get a word from our sponsors. In your ears, we're gonna.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back. Oz and Vic take the train, which looks like either the F or the B or the maybe the Q train uh in New York City out to the suburbs, not the suburbs, but the exerps. And they go to this kind of train station. They get an Evolvo, a battery up like late eighties Volvo, and they go to a house and I was like, I've never taken anybody here before, so yeah, take his shoes off the thing, let's be quiet. And it's his mom's house and he gives her one of those necklaces that he got from the safe and he grabs like a big duffel bag of cash and he tells mom, we're getting out of town right now, because he's concerned that Sophia is owed to him. He also we realize that his mom is on medication for something dementia, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like she's kind of a bit out of it. She doesn't necessarily know what's going on. She hasn't necessarily been taken up pills.
Speaker 1: So he makes her take her pills, which he realizes she hasn't taken, and he introduces Vic, saying, this is a kid that's gonna help me out. Mom knows her son, and she's like, you're not just here to give me a necklace and say we're going at getting out of town. Something's happened. And he's like, yeah, I I gotta go on the run. I killed Alberto. She's like, oh my boy, I love you so much. I'm so proud of you. You kill them, this, this, and now, what are you gonna do? You're gonna run like a pussy? Yeah, a pussy.
Speaker 2: I know. No. I have to say this is like, this is legit, like another bit of unbelievable character work, because in this moment you learn so much. It's clear that she's probably been abusive. It's clear that she's probably deeply, deeply overinvolved in her son's life in a way that could even be deemed as like creepy. It's clear that he loves her a lot and everything he does for her, everything he does is kind of under this guise of being for her. We also get this mention of his brothers. Where are they? We don't know? And I love so much that we learn in this moment kind of everything about him. Because he is ready to run smart choice should have done it, but she managed to essentially nag him into not doing it. She's like, don't be a pussy. She's like, everything that you have ever done is leading up to this, and now you can take it. Like you've done the thing you need to do and you can take the city. And also she wants a better life. She's living in some tiny little house, like it looks you know, it's classic movie. I was gonna say, I was gonna say, this is my favorite thing. Is like every time you see a house and they're like this is where a poor person lives, I'm like, this house.
Speaker 1: Looks pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks pretty good to me. So she's living in a normal person house, but she wants more. She's like, I got it. We gotta get what we deserve. You know, you can tell she's dreaming of that big kind of McMansion life that they're living. She wants to be living in in Long Island, she wants to be living in Montalk. You know, she's she's got plans. And the funniest thing is Vick is just watching it all. Yeah, He's like, holy shit, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: Bro. Later, the Penguin and visit on the couch and they watcha a worth the iconic worthing nineteen Gilda. Oz then says, you know, as they're driving back to the trade stations, like, Vicka, you up to this what we need to do? Like it's clear that he shared a plan with Vic, which we don't. You don't really realize until the end that in the intervening time between them watching Gilda and when we catch back up with them here.
Speaker 2: They've been doing a lot of schemen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oz is laid out a plan. Vick is like, I'm not sure. Then Penguin is like, listen, this is you know. It gives him the big game speech, and Vick is like, okay, you can count on me. So the Penguin says, okay, take some time off. He take the Volvo but keep your phone on because I'm gonna need you. Oz then goes to Blackgate to visit sal Maroni.
Speaker 2: Another fantastic scene, like great fantastic man, Colin, I feel like one in the Batman movie. I was sure the whole time. I was, like, the reason that I enjoy Colin Farrell so much, and this is because he's not really in the movie alone, but when you see him, he's so impactful, but it would be too obvious in the suit when if you watched him for too long incorrect. I think he loses himself and this this.
Speaker 1: Suit does you get.
Speaker 2: You forget it's him, and in this scene specifically where it's him versus Clancy Brown's Salvator Maroney, who just fucking hates him so much, and there is just so much seething fury that Oz would even dean to step into Blackgate and kind of talk to him. It's so good.
Speaker 1: So let me just first say that Gotham, you need to like record all convers between mob figures, organized crime figures and whoever visits him, because this is fucking crazy. Let them meeted person with nobody around and no recording.
Speaker 2: You know, the implication is that like it's very corrupt at Blackgate. And the difference, if you're wondering, so the difference between Blackgate and ARC is that Blackgate was introduced in like the nineties and Detective Comics six twenty nine, and it's for non insane criminals. That's the criminal. This is just like, this is just your standard criminal. And the black Bes was like one of the other families in Arkham. So yeah, ain't Gotham. So yeah, this is a very funny. But you're so right, like why are they not recording this? Like, guys, I know that the I know they're probably all under Sal's thumb.
Speaker 1: You can put everybody away forever.
Speaker 2: Bit just like one microphone underneath like put one microphone underneath the table, my guys.
Speaker 1: So as pitches his services to the Maroney family against the Falconies, he says, listen, here's some info for you. Falconi are gonna move my drop business out of the city, and he says, but I'll tell you what. We got a couple of days, I will tell you where the factory is. You take it right, I'll pretend like, oh my god, there we've been raided by the Ronis. Oh oh, this is a great opportunity for you to take revenge is like, now you crossed me too many times.
Speaker 2: He's like, bro, do you remember all these times that you're like fucking heeled on me and stop me in the bag and like betrayed me. Like I'm fucking sick of you.
Speaker 1: I'm sick of you. I don't trust you. And the PEngs like but you sleep on it, and the Maronie's like, fuck off, just get the fuck out of here. But then I almost forget and he goes into his pocket and he takes out the ring that Fulcny took from Maroni, and Maroney's like, oh my god. He's like, clearly what the moved in some way to get the ring back. So Oz is then driving around. He's driving back to wherever he's gonna. He's going back to his uh I think his club, and he's calling VIC but he's it goes straight to voicemail, which is a problem. And then as he pulls up in front of his club, he sees Sophia and her Hood's waiting for him the Falcony Hoods car chase. He's you know, racing away from them.
Speaker 2: In his cop car, which is how Sophia catches him.
Speaker 1: Then animal Vic, still not picking up the penguin, does this very cute kind of like uh pump fake maneuver where he pulls up in front of like a FEMA camp and then leaves the door the driver's side door open like he fled on foot, but really he was hiding in the trunk. And when he gets out, one of the falcony hoods comes and tries to stop him, but he kills the guy. But then Sophia's guys eventually get a hold of him. They take him back upstate to the mansion and they begin to torture him in the greenhouse. They got a strip nude and this is where you get a great look at the floor back. This suit is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also like this guy higher and ever you understand why call it farrelheighten to be in that suit? I understand, my friend, It's fine. Also, they have him like they are gone. You know, he's in the He's in the greenhouse of death. Let's put it that way. Like this is one of those scenes like you're watching Sore and you know the trap is about to come out, like you know you're going to see some bad stuff. So the fact that Oswald manages to even like not just pass out from fear tells you a lot about him.
Speaker 1: So they're torturing him. She wants to know what Alberto is. She's telling him how much he loves her brother, how he was the only one that came to see her, and then she produces one of the kids that try to as well, it's very interesting you say you weren't at your club because you were shooting at these kids in back of your club on the very night that my brother disappeared. So what about that? Is this kid lying? And Penguins like, yeah, the kid's fucking lying. So she shoots the kid.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so.
Speaker 1: And this is a great is like thrilled is like you could see the Hangman energy ming out of her.
Speaker 2: And also as well, this is a great thing to show just to Ozz because he is willing to have an innocent kid just killed. Yeah, it means he can get out of it. And this is a very brutal moment and it kind of foreshadows where the show is going to go.
Speaker 1: So then they really step up the torture. They take like a very sharp like cable like a wire, and they put it under his armpit and they're beginning to cut his arm off, and again all the time asking where is my brother? And then there's a car crash outside. You go out there and you see that it's the caddy they put Alberto in. Sofia goes. She sees there's no driver. There's like a cinder block on the accelerator, and she looks in the trunk and there's Alberto and this pinky with the ring is cut off. And so it's clear now the Maroney's are going to get the blame for this, and it says payback.
Speaker 2: On the inside of the He's got an alibi because you're about to chop his arm off, that's right.
Speaker 1: So so they let the They let Oz go and next thing, you know, where with Oz and Vic at their old neighborhood getting slushies from this slushies and we realized this was all his plan. He had set this whole thing up to begin the gang war between the and the Maronis. And he's celebrating with Vic over these slushies and he's asking Vic, like, well, now, something, you only cut off the pinky, he said, were he was gonna cut off the head And Vick is like basically just says that couldn't. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: He's my favorite thing. My favorite thing is he's like I was like, I was thinking, like should I start the frump? And then I was worried I'd get stuck on the track here. But then if I started the back like I would get like stuck on the spine. And As is looking at him like, what the fuck are you talking about? But you can tell now that there is a this is a new little duo, like for now.
Speaker 1: First Henchi Henchy number one.
Speaker 2: Fast, Henchy number one. It's Vic And obviously now the Maronis will get blamed, so on motion.
Speaker 1: That's right, Maroney's gonna be where in the ring around Blackgate, and uh, it's very clear that this gang war is going to pop off. And Oz tells Vic, listen this new drug thing. I want you in with me. And then and then they mix the flavors. It's pretty good. You mix the flavors. Slushy is good. And we're on to episode two. Well, this is a this is a really fun show.
Speaker 2: I'm this is a truly fantastic opening episode, Like and look we are we are obviously the audience for this kind of stuff you if you are listening to this. But I will say I believe this is the kind of show you can show someone who doesn't know Batman, who doesn't care about these movies, and who can find something to love it. It currently stands at ninety three percent on Rotten Tomatoes, and I think that that is a very good representation of the fact that a lot of people, whether you're from The Evening Standard or Empire Magazin or Indie Wire, have found something in this that is deeply worthwhile and deeply transformative. That's really the word that all of these reviews say, you know this is I mean, this is from the Evening Standard. It says this is a five star series that Mafia film fans will adore. It's very much an Italian American gangster penguin, with Farrell finding the sweetest of evil spots between Tony soprano and de Niro's vo Corleone. So I mean that's it's pretty big compliments. I like this one from Empire to where they say a spinoff that makes this return to Gotham feel both necessary and earned. Totally agree that's the thing. This makes you one. I love the world of the Batman. I mean, in rewatching it, Jason, we were both kind of struck, Like you texted me and you were like, this movie is underrated, and I was like, it is underrated because even though we're talking about how like it came out and we were like, this is great, we love it, and a lot of people were like this is great, and it made a ton of money. But because of the world and the pandemic and all these other things and the stripes, it almost feels like it came and it went. But it actually really like a deeply fantastic movie, and I'm very excited to see it expand into this new format where hopefully it will get people to revisit that film and see how great it was. And I also like, I saw James Gunn today. He was sharing good reviews of the show even though it's in this elseworld's kind of space, not in the you know what, we're calling the gun averse. So I'm just really happy. I thought this first episode is so good, and I will say positive something. You know, I'm not gonna obviously, I'm not going to say anything other than this about it, but I will say the second episode is also better. We were lucky enough to watch it. So for me, I was just like unbelievable, Like it just worked on every level. The vibe, the tone, Sophia Falcone's outfits stunning, immaculate. Yeah, it's it's so so good.
Speaker 1: Well up next, we're going to go to the comics corner. Oh, we're going to go in the comics corner to talk about some of the inspiration that we see maybe for the Penguin, and then in the comic storylines of where this might take place.
Speaker 2: Where does it take place?
Speaker 1: Welcome to Comics Corner. Were sitting. We're sitting in the flooded confines of Comics Quarter as the floodwaters from the Riddler attack are slowly drained away, and we're going to talk about like where when in comics continuity and from what comics the Penguin might take its inspiration. Rosie, what are you seeing in this show?
Speaker 2: Okay? So, I think the biggest thing is that when we first watched, when we first watched the Batman, which was kind of set in this almost like year two era is what we call it. That's what Matt Reeves was calling it. It's kind of Batman's been in Gotham, but he's not fully established. A lot of people definitely saw the potential for this series, especially as a crime series, to adapt The Long Halloween by Jeff Lobe and Tim Sale, which is where we first met the wider Falcone family, like Sophia and Alberto and in that really great comic. So I'm going to give you a spoiler warning if you want to go and read it without a spoiler, because it really is great. But it's actually revealed that the identity of the Holiday killer who kills people around holidays, classic kind of Batman Shenanigans, it's actually Alberto Falcone, who was basically a mass murderer who's kind of been indiscriminately killing many, many people in Gotham under this guys. So interestingly, though we of me a version of Alberto here that's completely different. And the most interesting thing is that in the sequel to The Long Halloween, which is called Batman Dark Victory, which is kind of an underread story, we learn that Sophia is this serial killer known as the Hangman, who, as you know Jason pointed out, killed many members of the Gotham Police Department in this extraordinarily effective cop killer and very connected to kind of a Harvey Dent two face storyline, and interestingly, it is very It was very shocking to me, Like I already pitched an article where I was like, wait a minute, you're coming in after Dark Victory. You're essentially like coming in post the two biggest storylines. And if you're looking at the comment but Kenon, you would say, well, so you're telling me those have already happened, Like Long Halloween's already clear.
Speaker 1: That that is not the case.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's the case. By This is my this is my gut check on what they're gonna do, and I've only this at this point. I've only seen the first two episodes, so this is my guess. I think where this is going is that they're going to combine the Long Halloween murders and the Hangman murders, and there's gonna be some kind of thing where either Sophia took the fall for a male member of her family, or that she was in line with one of the Falconies and they were both doing the killings. I think there's gonna be some kind of combined version of it. But it was very interesting to me that they chose to set it after those two big comic book storylines. And also I think it's a really cool way to basically say, hey, we're going to do our own thing, which is what Matt Reeves loves to do, even though he does cherry pick moments from the comics. So yeah, we're looking at a kind of dark Victory esque era. But yeah, I thought this was so interesting, especially just because the Long Halloween is so kind of iconic. It would have been interesting. And obviously one of the safest bets on how to get people hooked into a TV show is to do a murder mystery, So I think that changing it from that and giving us this perspective of Oswald trying to kind of get out of these scrapes, get out of these shenanigans that he puts himself into, is a really really interesting twist on what we were expecting. I also think as well that, yeah, it's interesting this is actually not the first time Sophia fl Cone's been on TV, because she was in Bottoms Yeah, portrayed by Crystal Reid, who would later go on to play Abby in Swamp Thing, one of my favorite shows. Love to bring that up, But yeah, I think Kristin Melotti is fantastic casting, and I'm very excited to see kind of where they go with this and whether or not we're going to see more kind of comic book influences coming in. Obviously, we've got, you know, Carlo, We've got these kind of hints and the Carlo Callback's actually really interesting because I was saying this in pre pro but I went to a screening of The Batman on the Warner Brothers lot a few years ago with Rob Pattinson with Matt Reeves, and people were saying like, what would you do next? Like which villains would you love to do? And Matt was like, you know, we I don't know if we could do Clayface. I think it would be like two out there, it's not grounded enough. But I was thinking, like, I think there's a way you could do it, and I love to kind of see that nod to Clay Face. I think the idea of like a tortured actor who kind of has some kind of mutation or something, I believe he could do it. I just I think Matt Reeves has got such a pinpoint on the way that you balance like the humanity but also the fantastical nature of Gotham, and I think he's really showcasing that in here.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they do something where Carlo the Clayface in a kind of watchmenesque style, was like, was like a villain from an earlier generation.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think that would be so cool.
Speaker 1: Somehow either picks up the mantle or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be really interesting to see, definitely, especially because he is definitely we with Cape Crusader and everything that we saw, There's so much space there for doing something in that kind of fourties golden age of Hollywood. Yeah, just really really exciting to kind of see where they're going to go with this. And I also love the idea that they believe in this enough at Warner Brothers that they are calling it. I believe they gave it its own name, like the Batman Epic Crime Universe or something, and you know what, I'm like, Sure didn't need to have the word epic in it, Probably not, but I love that they have named it, which is usually in corporate terms, a promising thing for whether or not we'll see the future of these characters explored in different spaces.
Speaker 1: I wonder also because of what we've seen so far in this season. If they're setting up the sequel to The Batman to be a.
Speaker 2: Scarecrow story, I would be very interested to see that. I also think that we are getting a look at kind of like how Penguin can become that threat to Batman, because obviously Batman has infinite resources, he's super rich. He's also absolutely insane and will put himself in danger. And there's definitely an interesting parallel with what we've seen of oz Of, like Oswell put himself to the point where he is getting his own arm chopped off if it means he can get himself out of the frame. And with Bruce, we saw that this Bruce will throw himself off the top of a building and crash into a bus without necessarily knowing what he's going to do or how he's going to survive. So there's definitely some really interesting stuff going on there also as well. It does make sense I guess that they kind of went for the Long Halloween because that's where Carmine gets killed. And yeah, there's lots of places they could go, but I definitely think we could potentially see a scarecrow potentially, you know, see that exploration of Harvey Dent and see where that's gonna go. Also, I think we got a confirmation that basically, so the Batman movie began on Halloween, very long Halloween of them, and we had you know, Bruce doing his emo voice over about how Halloweens when the Freaks come out. This is going to take place about a week after that, And I think they were saying that the Batman two is going to take place in winter, and they said they weren't going to go for any Matt Reeves said he wasn't going to do like a Christmas Batman movie. Sad for me because I love a Christmas Batman movie like Batman Returns, but he did say it would be kind of set in that space as four turns into winter. So I'm also interested because you know winter, you think of Victor Freeze, you think of these spaces that it could go. So I'm very intrigued to see what they're doing with it. But also the that's a very wintery character Pertaps. By the end of this he will become that that criminal that we want to follow.
Speaker 1: On tomorrow's episode of Extra Vision, we will be talking Netflix animation and later this week Scott Pilgrim join us as we close out Animation Month. That's all for this episode. Bye Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kensumsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discoord moderator.
Speaker 1: But potentially big rewards for you. He doesn't realize that, Sophia.
Speaker 2: Of course we're in l a very back.
Speaker 1: Right it is, isn't here ool? A couple of Paisa, Oh, why Victor come back? I'm gonna watch the sunset turn around? Okay, what.
Speaker 2: Mine?
Speaker 1: Come on? We gotta get that town. It tell him Maun