Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three fifteen, Episode three of Daly's Like Guys Day production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America. Check cosen. It is Wednesday, November twenty ninth, twenty twenty three, the last day of November. Surely, Miles, this is the last one.
Speaker 2: You hate to acknowledge. There there's thirty days.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: This gotta be it, man, it's one of those. Leep, it's a leap member. Ain't come on, man, thirty I mean, I've heard of November twenty ninth, but November.
Speaker 2: Thirtieth, that's come on, man, Yeah, okay, And I was born on March thirty sixth pow okay. But anyway, it's November twenty ninth. It's Electronic Greetings day. I feel like that just means like this, put your fucking device down. Don't no need we electronically greet all the time? National Package Protection dates apparently about porch pirates. Again a bit of a weird one, but hey, here's one.
Speaker 4: Can't gotta protect your packages that you take, keep that thing on you and just stay strapped right by the front door with the people rock and share on the porch with my good old friend cult forty five and I ain't talking about the forty ounce And I guess what also, this is a this is appropriate.
Speaker 2: It's also International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian people. Uh November twenty ninth, Okay, and this has been I think the UN started this in the seven So damn the UN. Damn the Wow, such a powerful body. We have a story later today about like how.
Speaker 1: People are becoming more divided than ever. And yeah, the chart that they used shows like, you know, how liberal and conservative people were, and like the seventies was just fucking off the chart, like we were so much more liberal as a nation. Then, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Wonder what that what version? Like what's the definition of that though? Like we're seventies liberals like talking about like you know, getting rid of qualified immunity or was that even a thing that was around? I don't know. Hey, look, yeah, what was what was progressive?
Speaker 1: What was progressive?
Speaker 5: Ever?
Speaker 1: I mean fucking ask gen z Tellum all right, yeah, probably My name is Jack O'Brien, aka, is there something trending in your neighborhood? Who you gonna call zeitgeisters? That's courtesy of doctor Fattist Turnip Pie, doctor thattiust Turnip Pie.
Speaker 2: Third, I I I is that what you maybe?
Speaker 1: It's all lowercase, so it's hard for me, you know how my brain works, Miles. I need those I need those Roman numerals. I need the capitalization on those Roman noomes.
Speaker 2: Yes, doctor Thattius t Turnip the third I believe is what is displayed here.
Speaker 1: But they said, because the literal translation of Zeitgeist is time ghost here's a Ghostbusters AKA. It's short and it was, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Ground. All right, it's mister.
Speaker 2: Miles Gray Gay, big scrote, huge ball stick chef.
Speaker 1: Massive sack. Yeah, that bone is a giant dick.
Speaker 2: Okay, shout out to time Bomb by Rancid, shout out to Blinki Hack on the discord, and shout out to that man who found what was definitely a fucking dinosaur femur and goes, yeah, that's a big scrotum.
Speaker 1: That's a giants scrotum.
Speaker 2: We can just put a pin, we can just all right, case closed. What's your next mystery?
Speaker 6: For anything else? You need me to tell you what it is? Because that definitely there's a big old ball sack. I don't know what a dino sour is. I know what a ball sack is, and that's what that is.
Speaker 1: Yes, Blinkie Heck also said bonus band name they might be Giants balls. Oh yeah, that would have been. That is the full name of they might be Giants. They might be Giants balls. Well, Miles, here we are on the final day of November, and we are joined by one of the great a writer, one of the best podcast hosts and executive producers doing it. You know, I'm from stuff that I want you to know. You know, I'm from ridiculous history. Please welcome the brilliant, the talented Ben Bowling smokes.
Speaker 3: I got my own. I got my own aka baked in courtesy of mister Miles Gray. I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: For having.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, nothing but nexte hit yeah aka AKA Wandering Wizard of Wisdom. That's Brandon falls a k A bendied over backwards with benevolence, Sir Ben and Bolin. I took a queue from you guys and I went on Twitter f x FK Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we believe it is called Twitter.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is by far, I think the most conservative take the three of us are going to have for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we honor the past in this house. Yeah, exactly by saying it's still Twitter as long as I can type Twitter into the little window and it go to Twitter. That's what it's called to me.
Speaker 2: Ye might imagine when's that day coming when they completely nuke that uurl. They won right, can't because then someone else can just swoop it up, right, that is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Elon Muska has never done anything that's bad for business, so I don't think it's gonna happen, not once, not never. Miles, did you notice something about Ben's AKA When he asked his listeners for Ak's they were very like deferent and were like, we honor you, sir. You are a wizard, you are wise, and our dang listeners are out here. You know. Wright in AKA after AKA about that one time that I pissed my pants allegedly allegedly don't remember. I'm pretty sure I didn't even piss my pants. It was my pants just were wet somehow after I went on scary ride.
Speaker 3: You're pretty sure, You're like clear, it.
Speaker 1: Was really I think I think I got pranked by my young nephew. You know, he was right next to me. I come off, my pants are wet. I didn't feel myself pee my pants. And I used to do that ship all the time when I was drinking, So you know I have some Yeah, I just learned about that. Is that true? Yeah? I mean there's so many pictures having pissed himself. Yeah, yeah, to a degree that it just seemed like at a certain point he was just like, yeah, I'm famous enough that I don't have to go to the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He has such confidence, Yeah, such confidence in the pictures. He's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah that or just completely like eyes half open, like you wouldn't even know that he even knew the concept of urinating in a toilet, so who knows.
Speaker 1: Taking a pissy pants? This is more like more like, yeah, yeah, I'm taking the piss. Yeah, I'm taking taking up. I like I like that that hypothetical conversation because somebody has just said, hey, it's taken, which I call him taking, Hey taken. Yeah, yeah, I'm taking I'm taking a piss in my pants, my trousers.
Speaker 2: I thought you meant the idiom in British English. Have taken the piss, like around, taking the piss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Now we got taken taking the piss, taking up.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this is what they come here for.
Speaker 1: That's what they're here for.
Speaker 3: A certain set of skills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, yes, exactly, a very particular set of skills, particularly useless. Yes, all right, Ben, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, a couple of things we're talking about. The Washington Post editorial board brought it this time with a great update on why these kids are too too woke for marriage.
Speaker 2: Is basically gonna do it's gonna do us all.
Speaker 1: Yes, a chart that's like only about white people for some reason, and it's like the young whites.
Speaker 2: Young white, politically heterosexual, very specific.
Speaker 1: This survey that they're using very specific. So we're gonna look at that. We're gonna look at MTG's book. Finally dropped the book MTG. And it's didn't it didn't do ship. It's a very few people bought it.
Speaker 2: Shocker.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're not talking about magic the gathering. I've no nerd the bad one. Taylor Green.
Speaker 2: Oh Yeah, yeah, we only give respect to the Wizards of the West.
Speaker 1: Coast. That's right.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's my new Wizard of the West Coast.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: There, we got elons.
Speaker 2: You play magic?
Speaker 1: What's that you play?
Speaker 2: You play magic?
Speaker 1: I did not play.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's why maybe that one resonated with Ben and you're like, all right, all right, okay, yes.
Speaker 1: Bro probably played all Green Deck and ship.
Speaker 3: He's not about that life.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, sorry, sorry, all right. We'll talk elon Musk trying to bring pizzagate back. We'll talk. We got a lot of stuff on the dock. They try, they're trying to bring sex sexy back to lifetime Christmas movies. I do want to get Miles's take on that. Oh my god, I don't even know all of that. Some of that, plenty more maybe. But before we get to any of it, Ben, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, okay, so sorry, I've got a cat unrelated to search history. Hang on it. I gotta make this. I gotta make this cat litter money. So the couple things. In an earlier episode, we talked about how I thought the calendar was overrated, and you guys asked a very valid question that I did not have an answer to. You were like, okay, so fine. If it's fucked up, then what's the good calendar? Apparently the most technically accurate one is the revised Julian calendar, which no one uses. And I've read about it and I was like, yet again, I have learned something that will not matter for the rest of my life. But just so you guys know, I wanted to make good on that. That's the answer.
Speaker 1: The more it's like twenty seconds different from the one we currently use though, right.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, it's not earthshaking, except over feel you have a sensitivity to time that the rest of us lack, and so you you noticed the twenty second difference for sure.
Speaker 3: Man, I feel like a disturbance in the force around you know, around the the end of the year, I'm like twenty seconds off right, don't like it? Yeah, so I the gun guys were not there yet, don't jink. So I'm that guy at the New Year's Eve party. I'm like psych you.
Speaker 2: Thought, Yeah, You're like, they're like, Happy New Year, and you're like twenty five, twenty twenty four, twenty.
Speaker 1: Three pushing people out of the way. Party I better got ruthless atomic time. Man. It's like it sounds kind of cool, but then you're like, the only thing you get is like a really good sense of time that is like off from everybody else's.
Speaker 3: Right, super good too, yeah, super fun at parties.
Speaker 1: That guy. Uh.
Speaker 3: The one I thought you guys might find more interesting is I did not know this. But back in the day, Ben Franklin decided he would in a burst of humility, he decided he would fix the English alphabet. He was like, some of these letters are just straight bullshit. He really hated the letter C.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 3: It was like we got all the sounds that the letter C makes already. It was like we have C at home, we have you know, we have K and S exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just interesting. Oh because just because like the hard cut continents sound. They're like, that's actually why can't it be K?
Speaker 3: Right, it's a good question, right, Ben Frankly, Yeah, yeah, I mean I mean, not this guy. He went he went nuts. Though It was while he was living in London during a period of his life that would later give rise to the rumors that he was a serial killer. Tune end of that episode of Stuff They Don't Want You to know. But while he was there, he wrote something called a scheme for a new alphabet in a reformed mode of spelly. Super sexy, super sexy title, it's it's the New Twilight. I'm sure, but but I.
Speaker 1: Thought I thought that was succinct, by the way, when compared to like most titles of the day, which were like usually five hundred words.
Speaker 3: Right semi Colin's scattered around Billy nilly.
Speaker 2: On the notion of spelling and whether or not you're like, oh my God, Jesus, yeah, fu on the ocean?
Speaker 3: Do you think it's the end? And then they hit you with that shyamala on where they.
Speaker 1: Go or a different title or how I spell different right exactly?
Speaker 3: So I I one thing I thought was interesting about this, and you guys know, doing a show that applies critical thinking to conspiracy theories in twenty twenty three, my search history is already the equivalent of having a face tattoos, as we have mentioned in the past. So I've got all gas, no breaks. It's over for me, uh as far as the NSA is concerned. But this one was interesting because we things become normalized so quickly, and we all grow up with the alphabet right or with an alphabet, and we never really ask how it came to be, whether it should be improved. Everybody's like, look, life is the weirdest group project ever. Let's not rock the book too much on the stuff that we all agreed on. So I don't know, do you guys think you could improve the alphabet?
Speaker 2: I means yeah, I guess me personally.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yeah, yeah. I believe Jack believes that for sure. I'm like the Spanish language being so intuitive to spell, and like being at a stage where I'm trying to explain my children why certain words are spelled the way they are and not having any good explanation other than yeah, the English language is an asshole. You know, it's tough.
Speaker 3: Well, as you point out before Miles, which I think is a really important point, it is a colonizer language. It is like, let me get some of this and some of that right, and uh, never mind the details. But it's it's really weird to think about it English from a non English speaking perspective. Learning that language. Sometimes you're close to stuff, Sometimes the store is about to close. What does that mean? You know, it's it's just it's a whole messy bowl of spaghetti.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if the messiness is a design feature to like separate people who are educated, like so that you can tell by somebody who's writing how educated they are, and like having this like encoded you know, educational barometer built in, so like it doesn't like there's no reason ceiling should be spelled that way, but that I guess maybe there is socially a reason for that.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yeah, encoded social jams.
Speaker 1: So it's an op it's an exactly that.
Speaker 3: Makes sense.
Speaker 1: What's something Ben? Do you think is overrated?
Speaker 3: All right? Well, I try to play nice on these. You saw in some of the notes, guys. The Hot Odyssey minivan absolutely operated. Yeah, wet garbage on wheels, the whole thing. We don't even have to you know, I'm still this.
Speaker 2: Is what's going? Did you have a like I when I saw you write this, and I'm like, what the fuck is up with Ben? In this Honda Odyssey minivan because I know it as like the most like I remember when it first came out it didn't have sliding doors.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this is not a van. This is a car with four doors that's just big.
Speaker 2: And now that but like, why are you actually being like, I don't even want to get into it, upsetting you don't.
Speaker 1: Get me started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, okay, So I don't know how you guys are in the fair metropolis of Los Ange, but I am increasingly convinced, you know now that people are being forced to go back to offices and go places and stuff. I'm on the road more often, and I swear, at least in Atlanta, every time somebody buys a Honda Odyssey, whoever sells it to them must be like, also, we can give you a couple of bucks off if we put this alarm in your car. It lets you know whenever Ben Bollin is on the road and in a hurry, and all you have to do is get in front of us and drop down to about thirty two miles an hour, you know, no matter what they're just I think maybe it's just road rage coming out. I got it a lot of I.
Speaker 2: Love it too.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is. It's like each of these things has a device in it to find me and slow me the fuck down.
Speaker 3: Nothing narcissistic about that paranoia.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad we got that out of the way. I want to put the word out before more lives are ruin the real overrated thing. And it was really interested in you guys opinions on this as well as all of us tuning in today. Wrist watches Are wristwatches overrated?
Speaker 2: Are you asking?
Speaker 3: Come on? Okay, yeah you know, and then I'll come in Yeah yeah, I just look, I don't want to yuck anyone's yum. But everybody has a phone. Now your phone tells time?
Speaker 1: Does this mean that?
Speaker 3: In my opinion, usually when I see people wearing wristwatches, it's some sort of status symbol. Right. Arguably it could be an investment when you're talking about the really fancy ones, or it could be creepy medical monitoring stuff, which I get it. But now, like if I see someone with a rolex or ptec, I think they're called if I see someone with that, right, I.
Speaker 1: Always thought it was.
Speaker 2: I just I mean, this is how like American watch YouTubers call it a paddick pat. Okay, Look, there's many ways to say these things, because many things are. It's like, it's like how there's a RISHID mean, it's like you got that Richard mill On.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, people people don't.
Speaker 2: People don't respect the fucking pronunciations that but go on, So you're hanging out with big ballers with their rollies.
Speaker 3: On the right and uh, and obviously we can tell where I am at because I can't even pronounce the fancy watch games and and I just every time I see it, I feel like someone saying, you know, look at me, man, I got so much money. I can tell time twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really interesting what.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I oh ship, oh ship, I might be wow. I might be rocking to watches right now. I have a medical monitoring one and uh, cassio. But I I think I agree. I agree with like the idea that perhaps they are obsolete because the way that we can tell the time now, like it's available to us and another device.
Speaker 1: That we have for me.
Speaker 2: I love wristwatches because since I was a child, like they've been like a portal into magic shit.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: So there was like this Japanese show It'll call like come in Die though. It's like the Masked Rider, and he had this fucking watch that he would fucking activate and then he would turn into like the superhero or like Dick Tracy had a fucking fun watch that he would do shit on. And I remember as a kid, I always wanted to watch, but my mom would be like, you're a fucking kid, like you don't need a watch, and I'm like, but I want like just a you know, like a like a swatch or just some shit that I can have a watch. And because of that, just like with sneakers, I love, I love a watch, but I'm not I agree with you, like when it gets to spending like car money or something on a watch. That's but again, I think like many of us listen to the show. One day we want to have Lambeau and one day we want to learn how to uh what is the unburden ourselves of the mess? I've got to unburden myself with all this money I have slashing around. Man, I gotta be honest with you. This feels like I'm listening to atomic Clockman privilege. Oh wow, this is like Superman being like planes are overrated. These people have to like get in a tube to fly around to this boring don't do that?
Speaker 3: Just fly like me? Maybe I just have maybe I just have wristwatch envy because I do remember exactly like very similar things to what you're describing. Dick Tracy had that two way watch.
Speaker 1: Screen and ship.
Speaker 3: It was basically his phone and then and then I also I remember having one of those. It wasn't a Swatch but one of those calculator watches. Oh maybe it was a Cassio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Casio made one.
Speaker 3: I didn't even you know, I was never great at math, but I remember thinking it was quite a flex to be like, oh, I'll divide that right now. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You have many to divide an even number by fucking three right now?
Speaker 1: Check this ship out simple point too.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I think there is that version though too, where like there I've been around people who are like like luxury watchheads, and that is when.
Speaker 1: It gets I can see.
Speaker 2: It can be a little insufferable when like people like it's all about this one piece of metal that I have right now, scene look at this, but like we all we all like, we all collect different ship. I think it's when it looks goofy if you're like, if you're spending all of your money for those kinds of like consumer status objects.
Speaker 3: At the same time, get a lowly Cassio, you know, at the same time, I I love it when people are passionate about very specific things. I'll be honest with you, I don't like that. I don't like that at all. Classic especially I'm annoying me right now. I go to those I went to some subreddits for like watchheads.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The guys were like, well, that's not the best year for Rolex, and I'm like, what the what are you doing? Yeah, I know we're all reading this while we're pooping and we're on our phones. They'll try to big time me, but uh but I I don't know, maybe maybe yeah, ma, do.
Speaker 2: You wear did you ever wear a watch?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Have you always kind of like what did you do pre cell phone?
Speaker 1: Did you wear? Or were you never just really a watch a person who wore a watch.
Speaker 3: After after the calculator watch. I was just moving on vibes, you know, just using my power to sense weird disruptions in the calendar. Yeah, I'll be there twenty seconds off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you know the calendar is off, what's the point of telling the time anymore? You're like, dude, we're so far fucking behind. I don't even know. It's not even just twenty seconds, Like it could be just stressful to me forty seven minutes.
Speaker 1: At this fucking point, you serious the.
Speaker 3: Most interesting eighth grader.
Speaker 1: I'm sure fucking Ben's talking about how we're behind on the calendar again.
Speaker 2: Wait, so when does this actually do? Is it do Friday? Or is it actually in forty three hours?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So I don't know, man, your teachers just like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fucking this when I on fucking Friday? When you come in, Man, we can call whatever you want. Ben, Yeah, just yes, just turn it in whenever you want. Man, leave me alone. I got a lot of papers. All right, let's take you a quick break.
Speaker 1: We'll come back. We'll hear you're underrated and slip into a little news. We'll be right back, and we're back and Ben, we do like to ask our guests, what is something you think is underrated? That is revealing about who you are? And you're somebody who is enthusiastic about things, so I'm always looking forward to your underrated What what do you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Well? Number one, enthusiasm and thank you an enthusiast. I love enthusiasts. Recently I got really into certifications. You guys, life is a roller coaster of ups and downs. Everybody needs a little validation. Sometimes you feel like you need to win, and so I got. I got super into learning and being certified for various things, and a lot of them if you're like me, if you're lazy, a lot of them are way easier than you think and maybe way easier than they actually should be. But don't snitch. You can learn CPR, like I didn't know this. You can learn CPR entirely online now, which is a bit concerning. Like if you're in a CPR situation, you're like, does anyone know CPR? Now you have to ask do you like, no nos.
Speaker 2: Online or did you go to some kind of like class and biblically no? Yeah, Like, oh no, no, no, this guy's gonna be weird with those compressions. Yeah, he's got a CPR dummy at home and we don't know.
Speaker 1: What he's doing with it. He is not using it correctly. We'll tell you that.
Speaker 3: You can also be a notary public very very easy. I'm about to be Actually, I'm going into the office this week because it's the only place I know that has a printer and I have to print out my paperwork and then you just go there at least. The way it works in in this part of the US is you have to get two people who live in your area to say, like, this person's not a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Tap you in, yeah, yeah, to tap you in so I I.
Speaker 3: Will be completely clear. All I think notary public likes just like put the stamp on things. You just right, yeah, like this is official. Yeah, yeah, the seal. That's super easy, and you know you feel like a win. I'll be honest, guys, I just like whenever I feel down, like getting a little certificate, you know, yah, putting it a little frame and being like I did something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, look at that.
Speaker 2: That's that's why I do so many like charity like five K, like five K ten k's because they give you a medal afterwards. And what I do is I just steal somebody's bib and I cut through the course and I get to finish, get my medal.
Speaker 1: Hop out of the cab about yeah. I'm like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Did the fucking Alhambra Pumpkin, run the fuck out my way, please. Well how many doors do you how many startch do you have?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: When you say do you have? Are there other like what are you hiding from?
Speaker 7: Us.
Speaker 3: Oh no, not hiding. I've got a like a lot of people. I took one of the online things where you can officiate weddings that was.
Speaker 1: In the Universal Life Church ship. Yeah yeah, oh, shout out yeah, all.
Speaker 2: The freest out there like us, you know it for saving their friends a couple of bucks for their wedding. And then they've done like eight weddings.
Speaker 3: I think since eight you've done eight weddings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Like when I worked at other places and like I had like younger coworkers than me who are like getting married and they're like, oh my god, everything's so expensive. Like yo, I'll officiate your shift or not, Like can you make me a plate at the end. I'm not going to stay for the whole thing, but I will eat and go work out.
Speaker 3: The thing I always take paytents to tell people is, look, we can put you together with this, but I can't divorce you. That's like a that's a real qualification. So this is a one way road.
Speaker 1: When I'm a notary public for that exactly, once I get my seal.
Speaker 3: The big goal speak of underrated stuff. The big goal right now for next year on my end is to get a pilot's license, a private license, not a commercial one. I got no chance of that. But it's gonna take forever because it turns out it's kind of expensive.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, oh right, to get all that flight time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm probably never gonna own a plane. I just think it would be super dope to be in a situation where someone's like, oh gosh, I wish we could get out of here.
Speaker 2: We got your You're exactly like my friend who did the exact scenes, Like he's like, I don't know what I'm gonna do. He's like, but I might need it, and he has a pilot's license.
Speaker 1: Now, all right, should we? Let's let's get into a little bit of news. The Washington Post editorial board they dropped an opingon piece that was like a concerned about young people not marrying enough because the women are too woke. Is essentially, yeah, we're too polarized. The headline was, if attitudes don't shift, a political dating mismatch will threaten marriage, written by the editorial board of the Washington Post.
Speaker 2: That's the fucking headline, And it's just a rant about how like polarizing political affiliations will destroy marriage for gens. According to surveys because they're saying like, women are becoming liberal and identify as feminists, and some men aren't doing it as quickly, but some are also conservative, and that mismatch could be bad.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna read this one. This is really instructive. This is what it said. Quote. The problem with polarization, though, is that it has affects well beyond the political realm, and these can be difficult to anticipate. One example is the collapse of American marriage. I feel like I'm fucking Tucker Carlson right now.
Speaker 2: A growing number of young women are discovering that they can't find suitable male partners. As a whole, men are increasingly struggling with or suffering from higher unemployment, lower rates of educational attainment, more drug addition, more drug addiction, and deaths of despair, and generally less purpose and direction.
Speaker 1: In their lives. And then it goes on to say that, like, for anything to work out, someone will have to compromise what And we're not looking at you fellas girls. Come on, we know this is the dropt standard. I'd imagine that group is gonna be the women that need to like, what are we talking about? Like it's so it's like that goes on a culture quote. A cultural shift might be necessary, one that views politics as part of people's identity, but far from the most important part. American's ability to live together quite literally might depend on it.
Speaker 3: Wow, terrible, I've went for our lives here, guys, come on, terrible. Okay, I already got a got a red flag on this one. When you when you said at the top right by the headline, you were like by the editorial board. So whoever wrote this, yeah, knew that they didn't want their actual.
Speaker 2: Name on it, right, right, But then when you do that, does that doesn't that rope in everybody who writes on the edit like editorial stuff, Like, wouldn't that make sense? You're like, broll, That ain't mean.
Speaker 1: The official position of the Washington Post. Yeah, how I read it right?
Speaker 2: Isn't that because that's why you would do it right to say, like it has the the omph or behind it are the you know, it's the intentionality behind it by being that this is the stated opinion of the entire editorial board.
Speaker 3: Dude, if I was a female or female identifying journalist at the Washington Post, I would be like, fuck you guys, don't rego me in with this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, how how right?
Speaker 3: Because you're right, it is representative of the institution, it's the voice of this paper of note, and it's it's it's garbage. It reminds me of that. Oh, there was some study that came out a few years back, or study puff piece maybe where they were like, uh, I got, I can't remember the source, but they said guys are having a tougher time dating on dating apps because they're conservative, right, So I get.
Speaker 2: I guess it does feel the same way where it's like no one wants to fuck Republicans or even if they're not Republican. It's like maybe the norms are shifting for a generation where people are like, yeah, I'm into something more equitable. So if you're on some like nah, dude, I think the fucking the girl should fucking like cook dude and do that. Like, yeah, you may be out there being like I'm not having luck out there. Well maybe because things are shifting a bit, I think.
Speaker 1: Someone's gonna have to compromise them. Because these guys aren't gonna fuck themselves forever. I mean, they're sure they're doing that now.
Speaker 2: But this is so upsetting though, this perspective, right, Like, especially when they're like it's just like people are gonna have to get past this stuff so they can, like Americans' ability to live together quite literally might depend on it. You're just like flattening these kinds of issues like I don't know, reproductive rights or like climate change whatever, into like these mere inconveniences that should be ignored if a potential life partner is diametrically opposed to that.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it's like they're treating it like it's Yankees fans and Red Sox fans choosing not to date one another. Yeah, how do they make it work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like, right, it's not like if the Red Sox win the World Series, black people lose their right to vote or some shit, you know what I mean. Like, the stakes are very different when you look at certain political ideologies, so like to be like, can we just get over that and please bang them? Yeah, you know, and then by the end of the piece they're saying shit like quote. While politically mixed couples report somewhat lower levels of satisfaction than same party couples, they are still likely to be happier than those who remain single.
Speaker 3: So wait, wait though, also that's that's a nice little bit of linguistic linguistic parkour, a little bit of linguistic jiu jitsu stuff. They just said politically mixed couples dropping that one in, Like, is that the new mis engination?
Speaker 2: Like, I come from a bi party household, you know, so it's very difficult for me, Like I mean, and I'm and many people do, like I mean, I know some many people actually, like from like my my friend's parents generation and beyond, who are like dad is like a mega trumper and the mom is like liberal, and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, what the fuck like and how do they stay together?
Speaker 2: And then they're like, yo, they got divorced, Like they're like, we were together for the sake of the family. And some people have that other people. I can see how this would lead to some kind of discord within your home. But again, it's just this feels like this piece feel like the dating equivalent of like when newspapers like.
Speaker 8: Why are young people becoming so progressive? You're making it hard to maintain the status quo. It's like, yeah, well, the status quo being what being in a fucking loveless marriage and staying with someone that has an antithetical worldview for the good of the institution of MARI, Like, come on, y'all, come on watching a post.
Speaker 1: The chart is like, it's really interesting how much the different groups like stick together. That was the thing that was surprising to me is that, like, when there's an upturn in men being liberal, there's an upturn in women being liberal. When there's downturn and men being conservative, there's a downturn women being conservative, And like that would be the thing that if I was seeing this with fresh eyes, I would be like, oh, that must be what the article is about, is like they but but instead it's just like they're finding the slight differences between the male levels and female levels and being like this is bad. They're not fucking each other enough. It's very strange. Yeah, well, you know, also wild that they needed to reduce it to only the white people to even like find an interesting statistical trend. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When you read the article, you're like, oh, who is this viry, like it's only gen z And then you get further like it's only white gen z and you're like, it's only white cis gender gen z it's only white cis head gen z couples.
Speaker 1: It's only like this gen Z journalists at the Washington Post named Michael named made three guys named Michael who work at the Washington Post. I yeah, it so that all the more reason to kind of look at this out of the side of your eye, because it's like they didn't really have an interesting statistic to hang this on. They just like kind of forced it. They just like really wanted to talk about how people need to fuck more Republicans.
Speaker 2: That's really what it feels like. It boils down to, cause it's also doing like it feels kind of like manfluencer type shit too, when they're like, dude, it's fucking hard out here for men. Dude, it's hard out here for fucking women and women. I did, like, what are you talking about? Like this? This is not and I get and I think part of that too. That's a broader issue about our culture of toxic masculinity and rigid definitions of masculinity that people are falling victim to. It's not because women are getting so woke that they that they're gonna fucking become sexually inert and then what they fucking marriage crumbles like come on, but anyway, they tried, They tried, and whoever wrote this really tried with that one. I think a lot of people saw this last week and were like, what the fuck is this op ed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, uh, let's take a quick break and we'll come back with some more ship. We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back, And Elon.
Speaker 1: Musk is just found out about Pizzagate. It feels like so last week as twitters advertisers jumped ship faster than the propeller guy from Titanic. Elon Musk endorsed a comment pointing out that the founder of Media Matters dated the owner of the Pizzagate restaurant, Which I mean, do I have.
Speaker 2: To connect the dots for you thread get Olivia Pope on the phone, because this is a scandal.
Speaker 3: What does the Washington Post say? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it just is it just him pointing out that they dated, like just.
Speaker 1: Like and so somebody pointed out, you know that they dated to people who ran businesses with zero connection to human trafficking, dated while living in the same city, and Ela Musk replied, weird, but now he's.
Speaker 3: Weird.
Speaker 1: Weird, but now he's really trying to reboot Pizzagate. He just posted a meme from the office claiming that the only person to debunk Pizzagate has subsequently gone to jail for child porn. Oh he so the tweet from Ela Musk does seem at least a little suspicious. And then it Michael Scott saying Pizzagate is real Pam from the office. No it isn't. We have experts, Michael Scott. They traffic children, Pam, But we have experts, Michael Scott. Your experts just went to jail for child porn. Pam puzzled, defeated, Look surprised. You've been truth to death. Yeah, just the life has left her eyes. First of all, like just for somebody who wants so badly to be like meme Lord, why is Michael Scott the one saying that if you're trying to make a point in meme form, maybe don't make the person who vocalizes that point one of TV's most famous idiots.
Speaker 2: But I think that's precisely why. It's like, what if the idiots won this?
Speaker 5: Reund tired of the idiots losing, tired of like, why can't Michael be the one and catch Pam off guard.
Speaker 1: Yes, by the way, that ABC reporter did not debunk pizza to get that claim originates with a bogus image of a New York Post headline, which circulated the internet last summer was widely called out for being a fabrication at the time. So you can go find the New York Post headline. It's been altered and the story doesn't even mention Pizzagate, so they just somebody has altered the headline to continue keeping this as a story that people give a shit about.
Speaker 2: And now he's talking QAnon too, so he's trying to do he's doing it all right now, you know, just trying to get shake the trees and see what comes down, falling into the fertile soil of X. But I don't know, dude, it's just a lot of weird shit you're doing.
Speaker 1: It's just as echo chamber of bullshit and like myths and yeah lies.
Speaker 3: Did you guys see that. I was going to save this for the end, but it has to occur. Now, did you guys see that tweet he made where he is literally doing the edgelord thing of old. He's like holding a sword and he's talking about how he's prepared for his enemies. Did you guys see that one?
Speaker 1: When was that?
Speaker 2: I think it was over the Thanksgiving Bria. Thank god, I was looking out for my mental and didn't even open this.
Speaker 3: I missed that.
Speaker 1: Chilling with a fucking sword. Yes, I mean likes been doing like there there's the sword one. There was one where he was like firing a gun and he was like, my enemy is better watch out or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah he is, uh he is. You know what, I rescind my title, he is now the most interesting eighth grader because that's like, yeah, it was a very tone death attempt to emulate something that he thought would be relatable.
Speaker 1: I imagine, right, emulate the coolest guy any of us know, which is always sword guy guy. He's really into swords, you know. Yeah, that spoke right to me when it's is that a Joe Rogan studio? Uh?
Speaker 3: Oh are you seeing it now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? As one in his basement the way Barbara streisand has them all studio.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he's stood in front of an American flag with like a steerhead and a fucking katana.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow wow. I try not to pick fights, but I do finish them, Okay.
Speaker 3: Oh, do the whole. Do the whole. You gotta do the whole caption. He worked hard on it.
Speaker 2: Wait, where's the other one do I'm seeing so many versions of this post? Well, what's the other one?
Speaker 3: I think it's he says something like there's a large.
Speaker 2: Yard filled Oh yeah, yeah, with his enemies.
Speaker 3: It's it's very like back in the earlier days of the Internet there was that copy pasta of someone saying, well, you studied so and so I studied the bleak. Right, it's given off unhappy middle school energy.
Speaker 2: He definitely believe that studied the blade. He'd definitely been studying the blade. And by the looks of that sort, I think you got on a QVC. Yeah, well you know, you get a price break if you buy five. So right, he's got exactly, he's got a couple. But this is dangerous, right, this guy is hemorrhaging money for a purchase that he couldn't get out of. He's weaponizing social media, and I think it's it speaks to like this larger ground swell of very financially powerful forces attempting to push the Overton window further and further to the right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and yeah, just be straight up fascist and be like, I'm I will control you with violence and loneliness my basement, Rogan, someone please visit me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I realized that. He then replied to that post at the bottom and said, oh yeah, I forgot to add that I'm my own worst enemy by far. No need for others to dig my when I'm doing it so well myself.
Speaker 3: Lm A. Oh oh my god.
Speaker 2: They're like, dude, is it Are you fucking badass sword man or are you self depreciating comic? They can't do both. My man got here with this ship.
Speaker 3: Pick a lad. Also, I will say one aspirational note definitely proved to us yet again that if you have enough money, you can just host SNL. You don't have to be good. You could just be on Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 1: You need to be on the list of five people of like relevance that gets delivered to Lorne Michaels every day, the biggest movers, the biggest movers of Q rating this this week? What's the Q score?
Speaker 2: All right, let's have okay, then let's have this guy on what's actually.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Has Bezos hosted? He's going to at this?
Speaker 2: I mean, why not if by this logic he should have He should have more fucking hosting like opportunities than John Goodman, m.
Speaker 1: Because he was what's John Goodman's net worth?
Speaker 2: He's not worth ship?
Speaker 3: I know he's sayingser, Wow, that is a quote from Lord Michaels. We're gonna start that here.
Speaker 1: Bezos at home, just furious that he hasn't hosted SNL yet.
Speaker 2: Dude, Oh, mich can you but you believe it? With those kinds of guys too, that like they hold onto this like weird impossible dream that like their money apps normally just it's just like the one thing they can't make happen with their money.
Speaker 5: It's like I should be on I should be a featured cast, like what they should just replace the cast with me, Jeff Bezos characters.
Speaker 1: Watch what is Oh Hi, it's me Karen. See that's a character I called Barbara. Now watch this one. You're like, oh, and now our room full of Ivy League grads are laughing uproariously. I must be hilarious. Has nothing to do with the fact that I employ them.
Speaker 2: I have sweeten stitches every.
Speaker 3: Fucking day, Yeah, because that's a big part of it too, Like the Vanity Projects, yes, there is great scientific benefits right to exploring space and so on, even though obviously it's a problematic vanity project for a lot of these guys. But you can't buy your way into people genuinely liking you. You cannot purchase that. And I think we see that in these posts in Twitter, right, we see a guy who wants desperately to have a crowd of folks simping for him or being syncophants and saying like, right on, buddy, you get it. We're not so different you and I, which is always a villain line, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just so needy though, because like you would assume as the world's rightest man who was like, you know, has all these problematic beliefs that like there would be this like calculating nature, but like he's just so needy and desperate and kind of pathetic in a lot of ways. Right, I think that's the thing that's unexpected to make.
Speaker 3: And look, hey, we're I think all of us on the show today and all of us listening at home, hopefully we're somewhat ethical people. So honestly, if it comes out that somehow this pizza Gate stuff was real, or if it turns out that Elon Musk is actually yea, what if this whole thing is like some kind of Kaufman bit, you know, And he's like, sorry, faked you out.
Speaker 2: It's all right, guys, Yeah, I'm I'm I'm I'm nipping this climate change thing in the butt, and I'm sorry. I want go on too long. I'm giving all my money to help figure that out. All right, I'm out of here right exactly.
Speaker 3: But I again, I think that that appeal for inclusion, or that aspiration toward inclusion is, as you guys put it so aptly, that is dangerous. First off. That is also if you are another bad faith actor in the rarefied air of billionaires and state leaders. That lets you know that guy's easy to push, you know what I mean. You just be like, Hey, it's it's me Kim from DPRK sick tweets.
Speaker 1: Bro, Really you liked them, That's what I was saying. Man.
Speaker 2: My publicist said, I'm gonna completely fuck up everything if I do. But thanks, dude. I really appreciate that. Man anyway, can't help you with anything exactly exactly. That guy's cool, he gets it. Yeah, Like, I'm sorry, Kim Jong yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's cool.
Speaker 3: He's I mean, I'm kind of joking, but that's exactly what happened with Donald Trump, right.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, guys, we're so fucked if Donald Trump got liked it again, like we're oh gosh, it's crazy. Well, hey, you know, we got a wold.
Speaker 3: So because we're an audio show, you just need to know, folks that while we're recording this, when Jack dropped that bomb, Miles and I both just sort of sighed heavily and both looked away from the camera and we were thinking about our lives.
Speaker 2: We just I just had to be like, Okay, what's the healthy thought here? And I'm like, oh, there's a lot of time. There's a lot of time before I have to really contend with that Project twenty twenty five coming to a fucking office near you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Project twenty twenty five. Fuck, Ben, what a pleasure having you as always? Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can find me calling myself in a burst of creativity at Ben Bullet on Twitter. You can find me at oh wait appen Bowlin hsw on Twitter unprofessional bad, bad bad, And you can find me on Instagram at Ben Bowlin bo w l I n tune into stuff they don't want you to know. Check out Jack and Miles on Ridiculous History as well. Coming back to you soon with some more historical flexes, which is which is always a fun time. I think this will be our third iteration if we can, if we can get it on the books and in the meantime most important. Nope, that's it. Fake out.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I bit and is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Yes, so thought we thought we were done right with the shout out to that, you know, peak internet meme of a guy in a katat with a katana burying his enemies on the Internet. Here's what I want to read to you. It is from Zach Silberberg on on Twitter says I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus. Now they're going to bed and my stomach is sick and it's all in my head.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just for a good note, a good note, So shout out, shout out Zach.
Speaker 1: There you go, Miles. Where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying? Find me on at based platforms at Miles of Gray. Uh even laps that Anna sent me an invite to, and I was like, what, how do I use? There's so much new app Yeah, there's like it's like a it's like a disposable camera type thing.
Speaker 2: But it's like you apps, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll Uh do you want to invite to an app you'll never use? Hit me up, bro, I got them for you because I'm the same way.
Speaker 1: I'm like, let me get an invite.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'll use this ship for five minutes and then forget that I have this ship because.
Speaker 1: Oh that's my boy. And Miles he has the invite to all the apps he'll never use.
Speaker 2: He'll never use. Bro, He's the plug dude. He doesn't even know what half of them are. Anyway, find me there, Find Jack and I on our basketball podcasts. Also find me on my ninety Day Fiance podcast for twenty Day with Sophia Alexandra work at Media. I like, actually, what I would like to do is big up my friend Kim Cooper, who has a live show happening Tuesday, December fifth. If you're in LA I promise you this is a one woman show that you'll want to see. It's called Trauma Response, and it's her story as a transracial Korean adoptee and just like a very comedic one hour show about her, just like everyday life traumas. And you know, she was born in Korea but then adopted by a family in Iowa, and she had a lot of questions growing up because she was the only Korean person she knew and pretty much thought she was white. And this is like a very interesting, powerful show and I really would love for people who live in LA to check it out support her. We will have a link for those tickets in the footnotes, but it's going to be Tuesday, December fifth at the Broadwater Sect Stage on Santa Monica in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: So yeah, please check that out.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep plugging it because I saw it saw earlier performance and it was really fucking dope and like just the I don't know, there's something really great about a well done one person show. I know Marcella was talking about it last time she was on, But this is kind of like in line with it, where you get you get it all, you get the feelings, you get the thought provoking stuff, and you get a lot of laughs. So yeah, that's what I'm telling people to.
Speaker 1: Check out how to link at the footnotes.
Speaker 2: There you got footnotes.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. A couple tweets, I've been enjoying Destry at Destry, broad tweeted if carbs were so bad for us, why is Jesus made of them? Oh? And then at Marissa tweeted, I like my chicken tends the way I like my Holy Infants tender and mild two the based body of Christ jokes. Yeah, I really enjoyed. You can find me on Twitter at Jack on Score o Brian. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikeeist. We're at d Daily Zeikeeist on Instagram, with Facebook, campage, and a website Daily zeikeist dot com. Worry post our episodes and our footnote where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. I was listening to you him people might endro This is.
Speaker 2: A track called Gotta Come from Somewhere and it's by the band Golf Alpha Bravo and they're like a psychedelic surf blues.
Speaker 1: Kind of band.
Speaker 2: This is how I guess they would describe themselves. But this is like a really dope track because not many people have been listening to it on Spotify.
Speaker 1: It might be big elsewhere. But if you like a little bit of psych rock but has like a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Backbeat to it, like you know, you can kind of nod your head to it, check this out. It's called Gotta Come from Somewhere by Golf Alpha Bravo.
Speaker 1: All right, we will link off to that in the footnote where The daily Zeikeeist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning. It's back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all that. Bye bye,