Speaker 1: Guys, Welcome to Renee all day. I am so excited. I've got to Carris back in the hot seat.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm so excited to be here. Thank you for having me me too. Round two.
Speaker 1: A lot has happened since I last spoke to you. First things first, A huge congratulations the.
Speaker 2: Baby, baby, little baby girl.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, how are you feeling.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited. I gotta start maybe doing a little bit more research, but yeah, we're grated. We're getting the nursery set up. It's just so exciting. I can't wait to meet her.
Speaker 1: How pumped for you when you found out you're having a little girl.
Speaker 2: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Little girls, there's just something so special, especially having like a big dude learning the ins and outs of like being a girl.
Speaker 2: Dad pigtails, the whole thing, Untell.
Speaker 1: She doesn't want you to do them anymore, which I went through today and I had to just kind of throw out.
Speaker 2: My hands, but let them do their thing. Let it go. I'm I've already been joking around with my wife. I'm like, me and the baby are going to be the alliance.
Speaker 1: It's good you got to like assert it early on. Yes, how's your wife feeling.
Speaker 2: She's feeling great. You know, we'll go down to Florida after the season ends, but we'll come up to since you to have the baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, so great. Have you been getting inundated with a ton of advice from like the guys on the team.
Speaker 2: Well, Jonah Williams was very kind to give me this book that's been very helpful, kind of like a what to expect when you're expecting type thing for new dads. You're a big reader, huge reader. Yeah, and well we had a team baby shower too, so we have a lot of baby books. My neighbors, the Rice family, uh put on this extravagant baby shower for us. Was very generous, So thank you, Holly. So we have a ton of books we have, we have a ton of supplies already. So it's really exciting.
Speaker 1: Hell yes, oh my gosh, so so excited for you guys. I cannot wait to see her a little bit. And what you guys name? Er? Do you guys have the name?
Speaker 2: We have the name? You do? I'm not going to ask whether or not to post my baby though, to be honest, I don't know, you know what.
Speaker 1: I kind of went back and forth on that a little bit too, because at first I didn't or I just you know, post like the back of her head something like that. Now I do. I don't know. I'm still conflicting. Sometimes I do it and I'm like, was that weird? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't know. Yeah, I guess it's good to play it by.
Speaker 1: Ear and people are weird. It's like that, like a weird you got. Yeah, you do really have to look at it through that lens of like what all is being broadcast here? I'm like that just posting anything though, because I'll just post me Someone's like I can see your address and I'm like, oh, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And I'm kind of a private guy on social media as far as I don't post a lot of personal stuff. Yeah, we'll push hats though. I see you in the swag. It looks good. I know.
Speaker 1: It's actually I liked that it's got that double lining in it. I wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 2: Everything Imperial makes is unbelieving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really really nice. Hell of a hat. Well, let's let's get into some of the hat talk. I know obviously we talk about it last season, but the way that the company has grown. But now for you to be nominated the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award nominee, how does that feel to you?
Speaker 2: I'm flabbergasted and grateful and really want to communicate to Cincinnati that it's it's all of us get nominated for that award, because I can't express my gratitude even anymore with how this community has embraced the Sinci hats yeah, and supporting the village of Maurici and showing up at events and being just extremely generous with donations and purchases. You know, so many people have donated art. We have such a talented fan base, by the way. Yeah, I've gotten so many pieces of art, more than I've ever had in my life. So I'm I can't express enough how grateful I am to the CINCINNTI community. And you know, hopefully we win it all.
Speaker 1: I know, Oh my gosh, it's it's so cool. I can imagine just what an honor that must be for you. But to now look at the company have do you guys close in on that million dollars?
Speaker 2: You ag, we're closing in. I you know, man gets mad at me because I'll throw out some numbers I've been known to exaggerate over the years between donations and this match is currently going on, you know, we should be well over a million I think total like net, just like actual cash that's been raised, not gross sales, but net sales. Around four hundred thousand dollars. So thank you guys, and it's you know, it's doing some good. We've already built one building and then we have a whole other building going up.
Speaker 1: And how many how many residents can be in each building, So we currently have about seventy five wow, well plus plus another.
Speaker 2: Thirty, so about one hundred, and then we have another forty five going in. So that are the Hats have essentially helped the village of Marici to double their footprint as far as live in villagers. Now they provide a ton of services all over the city of Indianapolis with in home care and coaching, but as far as just you know, units where you live in for life. Once you're in the village, you're in for We've been able to double our impact.
Speaker 1: That is so cool. You know. I was able to kind of get a little sneak peek at a feature that the Bengals have been putting together on you in the in the village of Marichi and everything you're doing with the hats, and to see you walking around and hanging out with the residents, spending the time with them. Talk to me about some of the relationships that you have with all the people down there.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's amazing. So I've known a lot of them for a long time since the village started back. You know, we were I think early college. You know, Marty has been my guy since high school. He came to all our high school games. Yeah, he's an og at the village. We actually worked at Kroger together too, so yeah, and sometimes I miss him when I go home. I was popping into the village and they get really he gets bummed if I don't see him. So I pop in at Kroger's Ripe by my parents' house and he's working.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that you worked at Kroger.
Speaker 2: For like four months. Okay, Yeah. They put me on the cash Roger for one day. I got off it. I just charge everything as bananas because it was the only plu I knew. I was a permanent cartboy. But other great villagers. Steve, he was, you know, a janitor at Saint Pia's Middle School for thirty years. We call him the Governor. I tried to call him the mayor, but he said, no, no, I'm the governor. Respect But he'll he'll he'll hear me walk into the village and just peak his head out of the out of his apartment. And you'll see some of those too when that video comes out, just like the cool individuality of all their apartments. I mean, it really is their space. And you know, we had a game night, you know, the other night. Yeah, a couple couple of months ago now, But you know, it's easy. It's the easiest thing I know what to do, and I'm doing good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you get involved with this to begin with?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Why is it so near and dear to your heart to be able to help the village of Marichi and helping these adults with learning disabilities to live on their own.
Speaker 2: Well, I have autism in my family, have a couple family members who have autism. And since he had Matt, the guy who's run this whole operation, his mother Colleen founded the village back in the day, so we've always done service hours there. We've always helped out with the village and it was you know, the only rule. We did a charity event once a year before the hats and in benefit of the village. So it was such a natural transition into selling hats hats for the village.
Speaker 1: Hell yes, so everything that we've seen you do on the field, but the impact that you're leaving off the field, that's something that you've been very cognizant about your whole career. So does it feel like you're really setting that in stone now?
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean we're we've been able to do some concrete good by increasing We have such a big wait list at the village, so just to be able to chip away at all this is very underserved need in this country. So I hope that since he hat can be around for a long time. Yeah, you know, I want to play as long as I can, but I think we've set it up to where it can be, you know, a brand and a logo that continues to help the village and any other you know, people of this community in need long after I retire. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Renee All Day is presented by Jillette Labs. Lads is not your Dad's razor. It's to Let's Ultimate Shaving experience. Okay, let's talk a little football, a little Bengals with you. Last year, of course, when you signed on to join the Bengals to where you're at now, how is your role changed from day one to where you're at now.
Speaker 2: Well, day one, you know, I was coming into a new team, just wanted to come in show everyone I was hard working. I've been been around the league for a while. Was very honored to be elected captain. Yeah, we had a great year last year and going into this year, I really wanted to take advantage of the fact that it's the first time in a while that I've been in the same offense two years in a row. I've been on a couple of one year deals back and forth, so I wanted to, you know, really build off the continuity and experience that we had with each other. So obviously it's not up to the standard that we really want to be playing right now. But as far as my role, you know in times like this is bringing the energy and you know, making sure we're focused and ready to go. But you know, I got a lot of people counting on me. I never take that for granted.
Speaker 1: How how do you kind of switch between being like positive Ted, when you got to get into like ass kicking Ted.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, this team is a very easy team to lead. There's a lot of guys that made of the right stuff. But I've been known to get a little grumpy when things aren't when things aren't going great, or if we're you know, not focused. But you know, I'm a mostly positive encouragement leader. But I don't particularly ever yell at anyone. I will get intense at maybe a practice opponent or a game opponent and hope that people feed off of that, but I'm really I'm never really getting in my own teammates face.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that's something that's going to lend into fatherhood for you in terms of like picking and choosing when you're gonna have to be dad and when you can be like fun dad and like teaching your daughter like rules of the world and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've definitely you know, when we found out we were pregnant, and then when we found out we were having a girl, I had a lot of you know, introspective thoughts about like what I want her to say see from a man? Yeah, And you know, I went back some of my memories of maybe sometimes I do get a little out of control with my emotions or you know, I've been in such an intense environment for eight years now that you know, there's maybe some some actions that I've taken over the years. I would never want her to see some just very cognizant about how what I want her to see me as and i'd you know, there's sometimes i'd be embarrassed if my daughter saw me act like that. So yeah, I'm having great awareness so far, and you know, it's hard.
Speaker 1: It is really hard. Like I think that's sometimes with our daughter, who will like watch my husband wrestling sometimes, like there's certain things, of course I don't let her watch, but like some of the stuff she's just like, oh, there's dad wrestling, and she like understands what he does and it's really cool to see them sort of like make that switch of like dad but dad working.
Speaker 2: Dad has different roles. Yeah, Dad is different, right, But I'm really excited for dad to be my number one role.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Moving forward, Okay, so last time we spoke, you were talking about wanting to be wanted and wanting to be the guy. I mean, you were talking about, you know, being on those one year contracts and whatnot to where you are at with Cincinnati now. But then to have Burrow say this, we wouldn't be who we are without Teddy brings an energy in a toughness that we didn't have before. I wouldn't trade him for any center in the league. How does it feel to have Joe Burrow saying that, Well, it's.
Speaker 2: High praise from anyone, but especially Joe Burrow. Yeah, you know, I'm so grateful to Joe. I obviously this year didn't work out, how you know, he wanted it for himself, so we'll be coming back strong in twenty twenty four. But you know, that's that's pretty supreme validation. I thank you for that. Football is a very insecure business and can get lonely at times, especially just to performance business, and we're not performing well as a team. So to be validated that way by you know, not only this franchise is best player and a great friend of mine, but you know one of the best players in the league is very special.
Speaker 1: Good pat on the back, Yeah, great, it's great. Okay, So again, going back to our previous interview where I learned about all of the hobbies and different things that Ted Harris gets up to for whether it's learning to play piano, reading different books, going back to school, being educated. What did you do in this past off season?
Speaker 2: We did piano again, okay. We also got into a little bit of magic, the gathering the current game. Yeah, okay, yeah, a little nerdery there. It's pretty cool. I like stuff like that, always like yeas and stuff, and I always want to get into it. And so now me and me and a couple of buddies have been playing. So it's fun for my reading this offseason. I was really this author Sharon K. Penman. She writes her series on the Plantagenet, So Henry the second rich and Richard Delonheart eleanor Aquitaine. Did a whole.
Speaker 1: That is some dude reading right there, did a whole. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of knights, a lot of chivalry and battles this offseason. So I mostly studied nights in medieval England and France.
Speaker 1: Just a casual thing to be doing in your off time.
Speaker 2: That's written by the pool in Lauder.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what is your wife think of this? Is she into some of that stuff too?
Speaker 2: No, she's a reader, but mostly like her books, you know, are not not that heavy I it's a little chick lit, little chick lit. Yeah, yeah, I feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I love that you were talking about playing piano and I know last time you said that you want to learn to play some Christmas songs and you hammered some down for Hammerade Sarto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know, I would like to do, you know, deck the halls this year. My best song this offseason though, was Danny Boy the old Irish Hey, oh my goodness beautiful. My wife was so sick of it after a while. I've played Danny Boy like fifty days in a row. Yeah, so but did all right, I'm really going to hit it hard again in this offseason. So really it's a really rewarding you know, instead of looking at my phone, let's just get on.
Speaker 1: The Honestly, I know the times that I find myself just lured and I'm like, why am I looking at the stuff. I don't care about it. It's not giving me anything, So nice to go like, read a book, get a baby.
Speaker 2: Are going to be grinding on piano or yeah, singing a lot of singing, a lot of music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Renee All Day is presented by Gillette Labs. The best of man can get keeps getting better? Look good, game good? And what of their hobbies do you have?
Speaker 2: There are habits and habits habits. Wow, I read a lot going to bed. I stretch a lot. Okay, I find it very hard to go to sleep if I don't stretch. Yeah, yeah, so I have like about a thirty minute stretch ro chain every night in the off season. Like the fish cut a four hundred pound bowl shark this offseason?
Speaker 1: What did what happens with that?
Speaker 2: How do you get that thing in the morning? Tag? You know, you don't get in the boat. You tag it, okay, and you get to name it. Named it? Who dah? And but I mounted it. So I always like to help the you know Chris down there. I got a great captain, Chad Adelman down in Fort Lauderdale's money always puts me on whatever I want. I was like, man, we need to go out and we need to catch a shark. Caught a four hundred pounder.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And now yeah, yeah, we have it down in Florida. So I don't know yet. I don't know where you put a bull shark, but what I know, but it's safe and healthy and so the next time someone catches who day, they will take the tag out. It'll give all the data, and then they'll put a new tag.
Speaker 1: In and somebody will rename it.
Speaker 2: I don't think you get to it. It'll stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so they can't. Let's take away the namesake.
Speaker 2: That's now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so great. What else have you been cooking?
Speaker 2: Cooking? You get on that tragger, get on the trigger. I've made a nice kingfish smoked smoked kingfish dip, made like sandwiches out of it. But you know this, this year, my wife really stepped up in the cooking. So I had been the chef for a long time, but she stepped it up. Has a great meat loaf recipe, chicken drumsticks. Love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's a bad for some reason.
Speaker 2: Met mashed potatoes, brown gravy. You gotta have the good red glaze, the sauce, that ketchup sauce.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, a little catch up, a little brown sugar, many, a little barbecue sa I still.
Speaker 2: Make I still in off season, I make a lot of the dinner. So I got a misteak. I make a great homemade fry, oh French fry.
Speaker 1: But that so I love this and I respect it, but what a pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: Pain the ass, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, but you gotta let you got to soak the fries and you got to do you double fry them sometimes.
Speaker 2: I'll you know, my big thing is, you know, I find pretty crispy and then parmesan on top while they're still hot.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be hot. Sprinkle of that like flaky salt, little Malden.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 1: I love that anytime I go to fry something. So I wrote a cookbook and there's a couple of different fried things in there, but I never make them anymore because.
Speaker 2: It's it's annoying. Yeah, oil in your house.
Speaker 1: You gotta get all the temperatures right. Everything stinks snow for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it tastes great. But the French are really good.
Speaker 1: So good, so good. Well, Ted, I'm so glad I got to hang out with you again. Glad that everything is coming up. Cares for you right now. Can't wait to see sweet baby girl when she's born. Keep kicking ass and looking forward to what happens with the Walter Peyton Man of the Air Award.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah,