Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Let's recap our one's poll question seat, and then we turn our attention to a great hour two pole question, shall we.
Speaker 2: Let's say we got up there right now a quarterback that had the worst weekend, Justin Herbert Jordan love Baker Mayfield right now, Justin Herbert absolutely running away with it seventy, not even close. It's tough to say Baker Mayfield had a bad weekend because he had such a good year. Only you have one bad weekend on a year that you completely like resurrected your career, It's gonna be tough. Justin Herbert had a bad weekend on what seems to be a year's worth of every other bad weekend.
Speaker 1: Well, as I've said before, Arizona basketball and charge Your football, they're very similar. I get my hopes up and then Arizona number one seed, and then they the Chargers. This is the year, and I didn't have high expectations for them this year. Now, I do believe in Harball and I think Herbert can be a top ten quarterback. But that's two playoff appearances where you were the quarterback on the team that blew a twenty seven point lead and you were also the quarterback who threw four interceptions. You know, there's criticism that comes his way. It feels like we in the media want him to be a great quarterback. He gets commercials, he looks good, he's got a big arm talent, he playing for Harball, he's in LA. But you got to produce. It's just like Lamar Jackson. You know, he gets the vitriol because you're a two time MVP, probably a three time MVP, you have to do more in the postseason. Dak Prescott gets more criticism than any other quarterback, but he quarterbacks the Dallas Cowboys. You know that when you go in you sign up for that, that's what you're going to get. Baker Mayfield, that's a bad fumble. He did have a great year and he has resurrected his career. Russell Wilson, did he do enough? And if you're a Steeler fan, do you go do we want Russell Wilson because he did just enough. Mike Tomlin, I don't think is going anywhere now. Once again, there is a different perception of Mike Tomlin locally as opposed to nationally because nationally. You'll hear the analysts say he could run a Fortune five hundred company, and maybe could I want him to run the Pittsburgh Steelers. They haven't won playoff games at some point, you, as pat Riley found out or the Lakers found out, you kind of wear out your welcome, like your players kind of tune you out. But it feels like there's more turnover in the NFL as opposed to with the Lakers, where you have thirteen players. But I don't know if that's the case. The Steelers usually give their coaches twenty years, which is remarkable when you think, well, we'll just have Chuck Knowle and then you know, well Bill Cower and then web Mike Tomlin. Does the next coach get twenty years? But did Russell Wilson do enough? Here's Mike Tomlin on that topic.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm not ready to, you know, take a big picture approach. You know, I'm really assessing what happened today.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Certainly, I'm appreciative of their efforts tonight, but I could say that largely for the entire season, there are two quality people, three quality people at the quarterback position, man, And I really appreciate what they poured into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't think he was going to tip his hand there, And you know, I think you've got to survey the situation. Do you want to maybe kick the tires on Aaron Rodgers? Do you want to kick the tires on Sam Darnald? Do you want to stay with what you have? Because if I look at Russell Wilson, what's he going to cost me? Not as much as what Aaron Rodgers is going to or Sam Darnold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, I want to turn this around and look at it. From Russell Wilson's standpoint, he may not have a lot of options other than the Steelers to take over a franchise or be in charge of a franchise. He was basically paid for the Broncos to play for the Steelers this year, So he's an incredible bargain. If you were Russell, would you be ultra friendly to the Steelers so you keep your job?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, yeah, I mean I don't know what other options alternatives he's going to. You know, are the Raiders going to go, hey, let's go get Russ. Raiders need a quarterback. I mean you can go down the list. There's you know, five or six teams that need a quarterback, but you're not going to have those opportunities to get a really good quarterback. So maybe it's Sam Darnold, maybe it's Russell Wilson. But if I'm Ross, I need to have the situation that is comfortable for me. But I also need to know are the Steelers going to get me some offensive weapons? There is George Picken is going to stay, which I don't see that happening. All right, Dave in Arkansas? Hi, Dave, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: They called me Pittsburgh Dave, and I need to be talked off the ledge. I have my prized Zubaz Steelers collection here. I've done laundry this weekend. I've got a can of wider fluid. I've got gasoline, I've got kerosene. I've got plutonium ready to blow this up. Please help me, Dan. The only good thing that happened this weekend we got ten inches of snow here. We don't get that too often down here, so we hadn't. But then that cost me a new car battery. I don't know what to do, Dan. That was the worst half of football I had ever seen in my life. And I'm going back here, Mark Malone and Bubby Brister and David Woodley and Jim Miller. That was horrible.
Speaker 7: What do I do?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 6: I can't give this up, but uugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the expectation level that you have instead of going in and going, hey, I'm just happy we made the postseason. Let's hopefully get some answers here and then you make the postseason. I think you have more questions than you do answers because, as Ross Tucker said last Tower, to see the Ravens do that to a Steeler defense that doesn't happen. It shouldn't happen, but it did, and then you're wondering they can't outscore people, so the defense has to hold you to under twenty one points. That's a tough recipe. But give credit to the Ravens because maybe the Ravens finally figured out what should be our postseason game plan because in previous years I didn't think they had one that they were sold on. We'll get to more phone calls. Poll question for hour two is going to be what seedon?
Speaker 2: Yes, we previewed this one just a little earlier, but losing NFL team from this weekend that should feel the goodest about their future. Okay, so you have the Broncos, Buccaneers, Charger Packers, Steelers, a lot of teams right there.
Speaker 1: Should feel good, I think. All right, so these are the teams that lost.
Speaker 2: Correct, these are the teams that lost this weekend, but should still feel pretty good about their future.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm going to echo what Ross Tucker said. Green Bay is the second youngest team in the NFL. Had some injuries there, but you know, you're the division is going to stay really competitive. I mean, the Bears are gonna I always say this every year, They're going to eventually figure this out. They might like the odds are you'll eventually figure it out. If the Commanders figured it out, then the Bears should be able to figure it out. But Detroit is going to be formidable again next year. And the Vikings, even if they don't keep Sam Darnold, you two, you still have two really good wide receivers and a good defense, great head coach, maybe it's JJ McCarthy. So if you factor that in, you know, you still have to sledding there. Tampa Bay in the South, you know, I keep waiting for Atlanta to be better than what they are and maybe they're never going to be. But Baker they seem to have found. He's been a great leader for them, and he put up really good numbers there as well. Can you keep cashing in, you know on your wide receiving corps. You know, I don't know if Mike Evans is going to continue to be Mike Evans and get you a thousand yards because he is a great bailout guy. You know, when you think about go back to Johnny Manziel, He's one of the great bailout wide receivers of all time. Like all else fails, just throw it up, Michael, go get it. Let's see who else would be in there. So you got Green Bay, the Chargers. Harball figured out and I do believe that he'll he'll figure out a way. Well, I think he did figure out a way to make Justin Herbert more economical, and that's what we thought. He was going to three interceptions, you know, through the entire regular season, and then you had four yesterday. But you know he's gonna have defense, the offensive line will get better. They have to have wide receivers. We kept saying, who's he going to throw it to? So I would have confidence in the Chargers. Yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 5: My pick, weirdly would have been the Broncos. They got bo Nicks. I think he was the sixth quarterback taken in the first round, and he's working out almost as good as anybody. If you take out Jayden and Daniels rookie deal, if you look at where they were a year ago at the quarterback situation, it's it's fixed. They fixed it in one year. I would feel really good. Patrick Mahomes is only twenty nine. That hurts, but otherwise I'd feel really good.
Speaker 1: So we'll call him both fix both fix oo fix. What do you like? You're thinking you're okay with that time?
Speaker 9: I think it's okay. I think the Packers in Denver are neck and neck.
Speaker 8: They're the first and second youngest of all the playoff teams going forward, and they both have to deal with tough teams in their division.
Speaker 9: They seem very neck and neck.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Yeah, Green Bay is the youngest team. Then it's the Broncos. Then it's the Ram How are the Rams with Matthew Stafford in there? Maybe that's just it. They got one old guy. Then it's the Buccaneers. Then it's the Chargers, the Chiefs with Travis kelce on there. Then you have the Ravens Texans lines. So all these playoff teams, for the most part, they're good and they're young. David Ohio leads us off best and worst of the weekend. Hi, David, Hey Dan.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 7: Worst of the weekend, Steelers losing to the Ravens again. I just I don't know what to do as a Steelers fan of been a fan since I was as long as I could remember. I got all the trivia for you on that the last time the Steelers won a playoff game was eight years ago, and I got what was the song that was the top Billboard charts in two thousand and seventeen. Mark might be able to answer this.
Speaker 10: Okay, I need a hint.
Speaker 11: You got a hint there for him, David, Uh, he's got a he's got red hair, and he's got a he's a pretty good looking.
Speaker 1: I would say, oh, pretty good. Look. I was gonna go ed Sheira, I did.
Speaker 7: Dan edge here in shafe of you.
Speaker 1: And got good looking.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: My wife likes him and she said he's pretty good looking.
Speaker 1: So okay, Well, there's hope for all of us Dan.
Speaker 11: I had one more question for Fritzy. I don't know if y'all saw it, but Bill Vinovich went to uh Josh Allen on the sidelines and.
Speaker 1: Was talking to him.
Speaker 11: I don't really know what was about, but I want to get maybe Fritzy's sake on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, the referee went over and talked to Josh Allen on the sideline.
Speaker 9: I was curious too.
Speaker 8: I did some looking after the game, and I guess it didn't get into details or quotes or anything, but it said he was trying to calm it down. I don't think there was any admittance that we blew the call or anything, but that's what the ref supposedly said to him, that he was trying to calm Josh Allen down, who was very riled up.
Speaker 9: Its well, I saw anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know how often that happens, that an official will go to a player and say, hey, hey, you know what, and you go on to the sidelines. That feels like it's out of the side of your mouth. It's like, Josh, calm it down, I'm gonna flag you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like, you know, we probably get one one thousandth of the times that referees talk to players, and when we get the video it's.
Speaker 1: Like whoa whoa little home cooking. It looks like, no, they talk to each other all the time.
Speaker 2: They probably talk to each other throughout the entire day, but there's just a handful of moments that it bubbles up into a huge controversy when really it's not anything.
Speaker 1: Well, I think because it was on the sidelines. I think that if it happens on the field, you could walk up to somebody and say it in a way that it's still in the course of a game. It felt like he was going over to the sidelines, and then therefore it was singled out. But you're right, I'm sure they say all the time, hey, wash your hands. I mean, I've been court sided with NBA games and you'll hear an official say something to somebody like, hey, I'm gonna call it next time, like you got to nope, don't push off, yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 5: So it was after a non defensive holding penalty call, and it was a TV timeout, which when the playoffs, you could tack an extra minute onto all the commercial breaks, so there's more time for things like this to happen. But the cameras did pick up the very end of it, and the ref kind of puts his hand or his heart like an apology move, and he pats him on the helmet. So, if you're reading body language, you think, wow, it appears that he's saying sorry to Josh Allen about something. We don't know what they were actually saying.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I took it as less of a warning and more of a we may have missed something there, like let's move on and let's continue playing.
Speaker 6: You do.
Speaker 1: Of course, I thought that he was just saying, hey, Josh, do you realized how crappy Denver is?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 1: Second half?
Speaker 9: Man, you guys have had the ball like every second.
Speaker 1: Of this game, Like, yeah, hey Josh, come here, do you realize how crappy the Bronco uniforms are? Man, I've been laughing an all game long here, silly orange pants. Yeah, sorry, that cost you cost you dearly. You ever heard of Clemson? Yeah, yess they never won anything. That's what my mentions are right now.
Speaker 2: Although I did get I did get one guy from Tennessee say you know you're actually right, and he went back through like different moments in Tennessee when we won this, white pants, won this white pants.
Speaker 1: We never won anything in Orange. Okay, yes, Paul, quickly before we break Fritzy.
Speaker 5: Would you have preferred a close game, painful loss, or a blowout?
Speaker 1: What kind of guy are you?
Speaker 9: In that instance?
Speaker 8: I would say, I'm glad if they were going to lose to No sooner than later. If that would have come down to the last minute or so and they would have blew it, that would have been much more heart breaking. Give me more time to accept the fact that there was going to be no next week game against Kens.
Speaker 2: You Seaton, would I rather get blown out or be competitive? I'd rather be competitive every single day than get blown out.
Speaker 1: What about you, Marvin?
Speaker 10: For the Broncos blow out, You'd rather.
Speaker 1: Be blown out in the first half, be done?
Speaker 10: I said for the Broncos, all right.
Speaker 2: Why would that well, why would it be better for the Broncos than others?
Speaker 1: What if the Niners were Oh, that's right, they didn't make it. This is like me. Would you rather make the playoffs or not make the playoffs? I'd rather not make the playoffs. That just shows it is even better. Like what, Marvin, would you rather that the Niners were blown out or that they had a competitive game and they lost dramatically and a suit we were talking about the Broncos though, I know, but but why you don't care about the Broncos. No, at the end of the game, Oh you know what, we can reflect great season. I'm trying to find a silver lining for Fretzi's Broncos. I don't care either way, really silver lining. No, you want to you got to be competitive. I want I want to have a chance at winning instead of like, I'd rather be a Texas fan that you almost had a chance to win that game.
Speaker 8: Yes, ton If Denver was winning twenty three seventeen with forty six seconds left, and I watched Josh Allen march downfield and then in the final seconds he throws a touchdown pass that would have devastated me more than the fact of the way the second half played at As disappointed as I was.
Speaker 1: I don't get that. I don't I want my team to be competitive and we have a chance. Let me take a break, Well revisit this. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend coming up, Tony dungeye Well join us next here on The Dan Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 1: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 12: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 1: We will give you our best and worst of the weekend. Coming up, we'll play fill in the blank and more of your phone calls as well. Hall of Famer Tony Dungee Football Night in America analysts joining us up on the program. Good to see you, ton The philosophy of a coach going into the playoffs? Are you more aggressive or more conservative? Does it change up in the playoffs as opposed to what you did during the regular season.
Speaker 14: For me, I always tried to be myself and be who we are and try not to let it change you.
Speaker 4: But it was very interesting. We had the Commanders last night.
Speaker 14: I talked to Dan Quinn before the game and he said, I have to be more aggressive, and he did.
Speaker 4: They went forward on fourth down a couple.
Speaker 14: Times went forth when I would have kicked field goals myself. But he definitely made it a point to be more aggressive and let's go try to win this game.
Speaker 1: What do you see from Jadon Daniels that is not.
Speaker 14: Normal, unbelievable poise for a twenty two year old or twenty three year old whatever he is, to come into those big moments and be able to just function like nothing else is going on. I was talking to Todd Bowles and the defensive coaches before the game that we've got to get the ball out of this guy's hands, because when he has it, he makes things happen.
Speaker 4: And they couldn't do that.
Speaker 14: They blitzed, they played coverages, they did different things. He kept the ball, he made great decisions, and that's just beyond those years for however he does it.
Speaker 1: I'm not ZERI, but when you're drafting somebody, you can look at changible items. I can watch you at the combine, I can see things on tape. Poise is something that I don't know how you measure it or what you look for when you're trying to find out if somebody has it or doesn't.
Speaker 14: That is the key thing, too, especially with quarterbacks. Everybody wants to look at arm strength, they want to look at all these measurables, and it's really can you process information and then can you function in the big moments just like its practice. And that's what this young man has done all year. They're winning all these close games. At the end, he's making the plays to win it. And that's what you can't measure. That's what you don't know until you get them.
Speaker 1: The team that lost over the weekend, that's in the best shape moving forward.
Speaker 14: You never think you're in good safe when you lose, you also at a couple of plays you could have made.
Speaker 1: But you know, run down the list here, Okay, I said the Chargers, Steelers, Broncos, Packers, Buccaneers. Out of those teams, who is in the best position moving forward for success?
Speaker 14: I'd have to go with the Broncos because I like their young quarterback.
Speaker 4: I think they have belief in him.
Speaker 14: They've got a defense that is a playmaking unit, that's aggressive, and I think they're going to keep all of those elements in place for a while.
Speaker 4: Some of these other teams have some.
Speaker 14: Of the elements, they're going to lose some of them. They've got to make decisions. I think the Broncos going forward are on the up too.
Speaker 1: If you ran the Steelers, what would you do moving forward?
Speaker 14: I would try to find the long term answer quarterback and build around that.
Speaker 4: And I thought the move to give Russell Wilson was.
Speaker 14: Really good, and in the middle of the year it looked like a very good move. But somewhere something is just missing and they've got to find that quarterback and build on it.
Speaker 4: And I don't know where that comes from. I really don't.
Speaker 14: Dan.
Speaker 1: Do you think did you see enough from Russell Wilson that he would hold on to this John?
Speaker 14: I think he could. But then again, what are you looking at? Are you looking at another year? Another two years? I'd like to get that guy that I can build with for the next seven or eight years. But I again, I just don't know how you do that. They're not picking high enough to get that in the draft. Can you go out and find one of these younger, twenty eight thirty year old quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: I just don't know.
Speaker 14: He might be the best answer for the short term.
Speaker 1: What do you think of Aaron Rodgers with the Steelers?
Speaker 14: I again, that would be a short term answer. I don't think that's a good one. I would if I'm going to do that, I'd stay with Russell Wilson. I've already had a chance to see that for one year.
Speaker 4: Build on that.
Speaker 14: But I don't know, maybe justin fields and maybe they've seen enough in him to say, hey, he could be the answer down the road.
Speaker 4: I'm just not sure.
Speaker 1: If you start to look at these games, you know, as we move, if I gave you the Lions or the field in the NFCA, who are you taking.
Speaker 14: I'm probably taking the Lions. But it's going to come down to the Lions in Philadelphia. In my opinion, they're on a collision course. Philadelphia has this monstrous defense that can really shut people down. Detroit has looked unstoppable on offense. They're putting up thirty every week. I don't think they're going to put up thirty on Philadelphia. So the question is is Phillies offense can it generate enough.
Speaker 4: In the big moments.
Speaker 14: That's gonna be a great game, and I think that's what we're gonna end up seeing.
Speaker 1: All Right, I'll give you the Chiefs or the field in the AFC.
Speaker 14: Oh guess I'd have to take the field because I think Baltimore can do some damage. I think Buffalo is a problem for Kansas City. The negative for those two teams, They've got to play each other, and they're gonna knock each other out and wear each other down. I think Baltimore has a great shot to win this game in Buffalo. Not many teams I would pick to go in there and win it. But they've got the physicality, they've got the mentality. If Lamar zacks and can play his regular season game up there in a big moment, they're gonna be tough to deal with it.
Speaker 1: It's Tony Dungee, the Hall of Famer. Tony won a Super Bowl as a player and as a coach. As a defensive back, who was that running back that you knew it was going to hurt when you had to tackle, like these defensive backs who have to go against Derrick Henry.
Speaker 4: Derrick Henry.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 14: It reminds me of DP Earl And I can remember our DVS talking to that front forehead. You guys are supposed to be the steel curtain. You better show up today. We do not want to see that man coming through the secondary.
Speaker 4: He was. You did not want to see him with a fullhead of singing.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. He would just take on and guys would go up top with him and try to I just want to trip you up. I don't want to try to be a man and go up. I'm making a business decision. With Earl Campbell, Yes.
Speaker 14: He ran over Isaiah Robertson. You probably remember the player. He his head down and just blew him up. And what he wouldn't offer. Our defensive coordinator was going to run it back and make a point and Lambert.
Speaker 4: Said, don't run that back.
Speaker 1: How different are the Ravens with Derrick Henry?
Speaker 14: They're different because of the mentality. I think that's what they want to be, that's what they should be. But now with Henry, they feel like they can be that no matter where they are, home or away, no matter.
Speaker 4: What the score is.
Speaker 14: And the thing about it, and one of the reasons I actually voted for Lamar Jackson as the most valuable player is you watch and they get in that zone read and he hands it off, and you'll have defenders that won't even chase Dereck Henry because they've got.
Speaker 4: To watch Lamar. And if I was.
Speaker 14: A defensive back, I'd be sitting there saying, hey, go tackle that big man.
Speaker 4: We'll do with Lamar, you better go tackle Henry.
Speaker 14: But it's just that double edged sword where you've got to defend the whole field. You've got to watch Lamar keeping the ball, and then Henry gets those downhill runs when they get that going there, super tough. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had somebody tell me that when this person votes for the MVP and said, you know, I thought Lamar Jackson made Derrick Henry better if you look at what he was like with Tennessee. They got him and anybody else could have gotten Derrick Henry. But you got to give Lamar credit because you focus on Lamar and it allowed Derrick Henry to be a star again.
Speaker 14: Yeah, sometimes it's just that perfect storm, the right person fitting in. I think Derrick Henry went to the absolute best system for him. Sakwan Barkley, you could say the same thing. Okay, you've got a big offensive line, it's creating holes. You've got a quarterback that keeps the defense honest and they have to defend him.
Speaker 4: And now you've got a two thousand yard back.
Speaker 14: And I think both of those guys just hit the perfect system to showcase their talents.
Speaker 1: Any issues with the Patriots hiring Mike Vrabel.
Speaker 4: No, I love them hiring Mike Brabel.
Speaker 14: What I didn't like was them firing girod Mayo in one year. When you sit there and say we've got a succession plan. We know that eventually Bill Belichick is going to leave, and it's all set up. We've got this young guy, he knows us, we know him. We're gonna build this way, and then after twelve games or fourteen games, you make a decision to terminate it. It doesn't make sense to me. I've told you and I've had this discussion before. Chuck noele one in thirteen his first year, Tom Landry won one game his first year. I played on Bill Waltsh's first team. We won two games. Okay, that's about nine or ten super Bowls there that wouldn't have happened in this era of this.
Speaker 4: Well, if you don't get it done in one year and turn it around.
Speaker 14: Dan Rooney, I remember him telling me, I knew I had the right person when we're one and thirteen.
Speaker 4: That's when I knew Chuck Nole was the real deal.
Speaker 14: And that's you know, I get so mad that these owners don't be impatient. You can't build Rome in a day, and especially when Rome's been torn down. So I'm just a little frustrated with the Raiders. I'm a little frustrated with the Patriots right now. Let things play out. Give these young guys a chance.
Speaker 1: I think the Patriots realized they never should have promised Girod Mayo the job, even though they put it in his contract, and therefore they were going to they had to let him coach one year. I think they wanted Vrabel last year, but they were tied up with this contract.
Speaker 14: Mail maybe that was the case. And Mike, Mike Griebel is a proven winner. He's been there, he knows them, they know him. It makes logical sense, and he's going to do a great job. But I just see these one and Done's just bugged me to death because I remember my first year Dan with the Bucks. We had had thirteenth straight losing seasons. I come in, we're zero to five and everybody in town is center.
Speaker 4: We're worse off than we've ever been. And the owners took me to lunch and.
Speaker 14: Said, hey, this is not a six week project, it's not a nine month project.
Speaker 4: We're in this together.
Speaker 14: Well, the next year we're ten and six and in the playoffs, and it just that's the kind of support you need.
Speaker 1: Did you think you were being asked to go to lunch to get fired.
Speaker 4: I did, I really did.
Speaker 14: When they said, hey, we need to talk to you and they're in business suits, I was Okay, this might not be good. But they surprised me and said, hey, we understand and we're in it, and don't panic. Don't worry about these next few weeks. We end up being one and eight before we turned it around. But they were. They were perfect, and that's what you need.
Speaker 1: Tell me why now this came up with the Chicago Bears. They didn't bring in Jim Harball for an interview, they didn't bring in Bill Belichick for an interview. Why wouldn't you bring in great you know, football minds like that to tell you what they think of your franchise, So you would gather information when you come in. So why wouldn't you do something like that? That's for you get advice for free.
Speaker 4: You could.
Speaker 14: But here's here's what I think is a big problem in the hiring process. A lot of these owners do not know what they're looking for. I know I've consulted with some and ask him what are they looking for?
Speaker 4: And they just well, who's good out there?
Speaker 14: And tell tell me this Dan Rooney to me, it was the perfect, perfect formul Okay, I know what I want. I want a young, thirtiest guy because I don't want to do this every five years. So I don't want to hire a fifty year old. I don't want to hire a seventy year old. It's going to be a young guy. We're a blue collar town, okay, we're built around defense. I want hardcore defensive coach, and I want a good communicator.
Speaker 4: I want a teacher.
Speaker 14: So in sixty years, he hires thirty something year old Chuck Nole, a very good communicator, defensive.
Speaker 4: Mind, strong will.
Speaker 14: Then he goes and hires Bill Kauer in his thirties, defensive coach, strong will, communicator. Then he hires Mike Tomlin. He doesn't go interview everybody because I don't want the next thing from the outer space. I want a defensive mind, a tough young coach. So if you know what you're looking for, then you go get that. Now, if you don't know what you're looking for, then you've got to talk to everybody that comes across, everybody who's recommended to you. But my advice to these guys, figure out what you want, what works for you, okay, and then go find it.
Speaker 1: Is it just good enough to make the playoffs in Pittsburgh with Mike Tomlin or does he have to win? I mean, it's been a long time since they won a playoff game.
Speaker 14: It has been a while, and you do have to win, and eventually you've got to come into the playoffs hot. You've got to build this and you've got to win a couple of games in the playoffs. And the last three or four years has been very disappointing. I thought in mid season they had a team to do it, but something happened and the defense just didn't play the way that they can play down the stretch. And I know ownership's disappointed, the city's disappointed.
Speaker 4: They've got to figure out a way to win a playoff game.
Speaker 1: But you don't move on from Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 14: Let me ask this, who am I going to get this better? And that's the thing that's going to go through our room. Okay, I could move on from Mike Tomlin. What's my next plan? And when you look around out there, there's no guarantees that you're going to get somebody who knows your organization, who can build this and do it any better, So I think that's what's going through their mind right now.
Speaker 1: Good to talk to you, coach, as always, Thanks for joining us, safe child.
Speaker 4: Right always, Good to talk to you, brother.
Speaker 1: That's Tony Dungee, Hall of Famer. We'll take a break. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend and fill in the blank right after this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live every day at YouTube dot com slash The Dan Patrick Show, Seaton, would you update the poll results from hour two? By the way, the Steelers have trailed by at least twenty one points in six consecutive playoff games. That's the longest such streak in NFL history. Stat of the day, Stat of the day, That best stat of the day. Stat of the day. Here comes that what stat of the day? Brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. All right, seeden.
Speaker 2: Losing NFL team from this weekend that should feel the goodest about their future right now? With about forty two percent of that vote is the Broncos. Do you want to guess who should feel the least goodest about their future?
Speaker 1: Non bestest? That's the non bestest, the Steelers. Correct the Steelers. They have two six of that vote. That's correct. The all right time to play Phil in the blank, fill in the blank, I will give you like. Ohio State football is blank, Marvin rejuvenated, oh Paul Ohio State football is blank vulnerable ish. They were close to losing that game, more close than is being discussed, Todd.
Speaker 9: Ohio State football is dame good.
Speaker 1: Because they're playing not the thing again. Okay, dam it uh Seaton. Ohio State football is in for a world of pain when they.
Speaker 10: Run into the RS.
Speaker 1: When they here come the Urs.
Speaker 10: And they're gonna beat them. There a lot of hyphens, a lot of hyphen one word.
Speaker 1: Ohio State football is back. Marcus Freeman should blank the NFL. He should blank the heck out of the NFL.
Speaker 5: To put it in perspective, there's a couple of different stories out there that a number of teams are considering interviewing him or pursuing him.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Paulie, Marcus Freeman should blank the NFL.
Speaker 8: Ignore Todd, Marcus Freeman should say notre to the NFL, Oh Todd.
Speaker 1: You know they were good at the end of the week, not at the beginning of the week. You know, when you when you wear me down, then there they seem to be a little funnier. Just say Seaton, Marcus Freeman should blank the NFL. Pump the brakes in the NFL, e Marvin.
Speaker 10: Marvin, Marcus Freeman should stiff arm the NFL.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would say Marcus Freeman should blank the NFL. Yeah, I mean he's thirty nine. I don't know what his goals are, but seems to have that presence on the sidelines, and you know that's what you're looking for. Is he a culture guy. He's done a great job at Notre Dame. But he might say I need more experience because you don't want to go in and go you know, maybe I need a little more seasoning. And he just saw what happened with Antonio Pears and drawed Mayo where you're one and done. Mike Brabel's tenure tenure with the Patriots will be blank. Paul refreshing.
Speaker 5: He'll be better with the media than the guy two guys ago. Okay, that's not saying anything I know, but that's why it's refreshing.
Speaker 1: My dog is better with the media than Bill Belichick, Whey Todd. Mike rabels stay in New England will be blank.
Speaker 9: Joe, let's go. I'm very pumped about Mike Raebel go to.
Speaker 1: New itand Seaton. His tenure will be uneven. Marvin Rabel's tenure will be fruitful, fruitful. Mike Brabel's tenure in New England will be better than Mayo.
Speaker 5: Justin Herbert is blank, Paul tear dropping, tear dropping.
Speaker 1: That's not crying, that's not t e a r. It's a bit of a double entendre.
Speaker 5: He is no longer in the best five quarterbacks in the NFL conversation odd.
Speaker 8: Justin Herbert is picky as in four of them.
Speaker 1: No, I got it, old words, yeah, seatan ofughly confident. Justin Herbert is who he we thought he was, who he we thought that he was.
Speaker 10: Marvin Justin Herbert is mid mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Justin Herbert is nice.
Speaker 5: The Steelers future is blank, Paul groundhowg daish Todd.
Speaker 9: The Steelers future is the pits.
Speaker 1: Berg seatan now I got it, Todd, I got once again? If you have to explain it unwritten, Yes, that is true, all right, Marvin. The Steelers future is uncertain. The yes, Steeler's future is rusty.
Speaker 9: Let me see what I did with that?
Speaker 1: I know I got. The Bills being a running team is blank. Paul Ringworthy, Okay, Todd an Orchard perk.
Speaker 8: It's a compliment, Josh Alice passic play at Orchard Park.
Speaker 1: These you're so bad, Seaton.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Bill's being a running team is they're Josh stall In, Josh stall In on running the ball.
Speaker 10: Marvin Bill's being a running team is trendy.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that. Yeah, I would second that the Bill's running team is on brand. Jadeen Daniel's rookie year has been blank. Paul spotless, M Todd commanding Did you just take you took Marvin's?
Speaker 4: I wish my eyeside?
Speaker 9: Is that good to see what he's got written over there?
Speaker 1: My laptop commanding Washington Commanding command Modern Seaton. Jaden Daniels' rookie year has been playing wash and stride. Uh, Marvin, do you have a plan being Oh, you're you're protesting the Todd took yours eleven come on eleven.
Speaker 9: There's a mini path going out there the federal.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jaden Daniels' rookie season has been MVP ish MBPSH. Just saying, you talk about change of culture, coaches, you know, get credit for changing a culture. That's a player who changed culture. Jaden Daniels changed the commanders. You got hope. Final hour on the way that's filling the blank coming up. We will give you our best and worst of the weekend, and you write the headline tonight's game. You'll write it today