Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, Done done.
Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome to That's Mess Up and SVU podcast.
Speaker 4: I'm one of your hosts, Kara, and.
Speaker 2: I'm the other host, Lisa, and we talk SVU crimes. We have celeb guests and up top we chit chat just a little bit.
Speaker 4: Catch up. What's up girl, what's been going on? Well?
Speaker 2: I went to play kickball impromptu yesterday.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: I saw Caleb post something about that and I was like, Lisa was playing kickball, Like I don't talk to you for two days, and there's so many developments I just cannot.
Speaker 2: I honestly, I had no shows last day, I had no plans. I was truly losing it. And then we I Julia called to me and she's like, what are you doing? And I was like, I'm reading a book outside at a bar and she's like, are you okay?
Speaker 4: And I was like, this is worrisome, but this should be worse. It's like really nice.
Speaker 2: No, It's just like an escape room vibe where It's like, what are you not doing?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was also like a Kafka book, like it just I read like four pages, not even I kept just calling people, but.
Speaker 4: I ran into Will but I was like, what am I going to do tonight?
Speaker 2: And then I got the kickball text and I was like, I guess I gotta go play kickball?
Speaker 4: So what was the kickball? What was the deal? Well?
Speaker 2: I I want to give a shout out to all the little kids I saw on their organized sports leagues. They're working so hard. This kid's soccer practice was so intense. They were there before we got there and there after we left. Like these kids were doing like two three hour practice running drill. Oh my god. What girls they had like thigh bands on doing duck walks.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: These kids are ready for great adventures in their athleticism. It was a casual game, but I think we all realized we're so out of shape. I mean, I'm sore and my knee is bleeding. So that's wait, you did you fall running for a base? What's the blood? That's what I saw on Instagram with some blood. I tried to get a ground ball, like I try, like I was playing outfield shortstop vibes.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's wasn't that many of us. I really love how hard you were hustling. Was hustle.
Speaker 1: I mean like I'm more of like the ball will get to me when it gets to me kind of girl.
Speaker 4: But you know, I pitched for a while.
Speaker 2: I kept trying to find the position that would be the least amount of work and none of it. After I was bleeding, I was like, Okay, maybe I'll do first base too much. Then I was like I just kept moving and then I had to just pitch. Like that was shock the chillist of the aggressive things.
Speaker 4: But you know, I kicked. It was fun. I do love kickball.
Speaker 1: I used to play like fun side softball in Brooklyn when I lived in New York and that was fun. And actually my team just announced they're having like a reunion and I'm like, sorry, I live in LA now. But we played in McCarran Park and you could always hear, like you know how there's a public pool next to Mccaeron Park. You could always hear everyone out of the water, and it was always because some kids shit in the water.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: For us in Skochey was safety break, safety break, with the lifeguards please clear the pool, something about if you were under the age of fifteen, you must exit the water. It was like adult swim every hour for fifteen minutes. I'm kind of ashamed. I can't remember all of it. It was so many years of my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we like were part of a public pool that was down the street from us, and I hated adult swim. I was like, why did the adults just get to take over the pool?
Speaker 4: But now you get it, Now I get it. Just go get it. Go to the snack bar and give me three minutes of piece. Were you allowed?
Speaker 2: I was not allowed to go to the snack bar. My dad also snuck us in. He would also make me go before the pool opened. It was really.
Speaker 4: We were barely allowed snack bar stuff. Barely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a true tree. Like these kids that have like a tab at the snack bar. I'd be like, what is that life? I mean, it sounds so luxurious.
Speaker 2: But so our friends are selling girls scout cookies with their daughter, and I saw I played backgammon this week with a lot of games.
Speaker 4: I guess I've been doing a lot of games.
Speaker 2: But there's a house tab of cookies because all the boxes are in their garage, so we obviously got stoned and then we were like, Okay, I guess we could grab one box, but I guess he's been doing that a lot. And the house tab I think is going to be huge by the end of this Girl Scout.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I bought a few boxes from her.
Speaker 2: I know I want a delivery. They're like, do you want to grab them now? I'm like, no, I want a delivery from this child. I'm like, this is part of the cuteness of it, all the willpower. I don't know how they're gonna not take a box every day.
Speaker 1: I know I can barely keep them in my house, but they're They're so good.
Speaker 6: I love them.
Speaker 4: What's your number one?
Speaker 2: My number one is Samoa's and Michael did not love those, so we did tagalogs tagalongs, which are my second favorite.
Speaker 4: So it's fine.
Speaker 1: I used to be like a straight up thin mint girl, but because you know, I can kill a sleeve in like moments, but samoas are really for me.
Speaker 2: Samoas are the best, the thin mints. I love mint too. I'd rather have an Andy's mint. I'd rather have a pepper York peppermint patty. I don't like the thin min maybe crumpled on ice cream, like I guess people freeze it. It's just like I doesn't do it for me. Yeah, it doesn't get it for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't get the people that are Like I asked one person, who's gonna buy them some cookies? And they want short breads only they only have the short bread. And it's like, are you eighty five the short bread? Exactly? I don't even know if those are good.
Speaker 1: I do like a Lorna Dune shortbread, but I wouldn't buy a I wouldn't buy like a box of them.
Speaker 4: No, But I used to love one.
Speaker 2: Pot belly is you know those flower cookies, the Lorna Dune or whatever, the flower ones. They used to put little ones on the straws of the milkshakes. Oh, I don't think they do that anymore, because pot bellies used to be cute. It was like big peanut butter and jelly jars and ma like there used to be more of an aesthetic. Now they've gone corporate. Now they're like a huge brand. Well they were always huge.
Speaker 1: Well, I just I used to only go to one in DC. And I remember like the sandwiches being like amazing and like the aesthetic was different, and like now they're in every city and it seems like they're letting it. You gotta cut corners because you gotta keep growing and making money. When you're corporate, it's just not that cute.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I used to I like seeing big jars of things. Maybe it's like the costco of it all. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, so, Liza, I wanted to tell you about this, so I was.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm listening to this new podcast about the business and it's really helping me learn a lot, Like I feel like it's like a trade podcast. And there's this movie that you and I on our way home, I told you I watched this movie Till Leslie. That's like a very small movie. It made like thirty thousand dollars. It's got this actress named Andrea Riseborough who's from the UK but plays American in this movie and it is real. Her performance is really excellent. And she was also in an amazing Black Mirror. I don't know if you watched all the Black Mirrors, but she's like in an amazing Black Mirror and she.
Speaker 4: Is friends or her hut. Sorry.
Speaker 1: The director of the movie Michael Morris, Right, Casey, that's the same you told me the other day.
Speaker 4: I think it's Michael Morris.
Speaker 1: He is married to Mary McCormick, who went to my college and is best friends with like Chelsea Handler. She was in Private Parts with Howard Stearns. She's just very connected. I honestly want to say she's been on an SVU, but maybe not. I'm thinking of Maria Bello. But Mary McCormick is like very connected, and so they started like a whisper campaign to get her a nomination for Best Actress for the Oscars, and she got it. Like they basically just went to all their friends, they had private screenings. She asked Howard to talk about it on Stern like blah blah blah, and then they kind of circumvented like the whole because like studios spend a ton of money to get people nominations and they didn't have that, so they kind of just did it themselves, which I thought was really cool. But now it turns out it's like a scandal and they may have violated rules.
Speaker 4: What are they havings?
Speaker 1: There have to be rules because otherwise, like movie studios would just pay people to go up to Academy members' houses and like knock on their doors and be like, would you please vote for Julia Roberts, you know, like they have to make rules so that people don't go totally insane. So I don't know if, like I think having private screenings and there's some parts of it that yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's bullshit because to me, it's like, if these studios are spending millions to get someone nominated, that's within the rules. But someone having like screening that's chill is not in the rules.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay, shady.
Speaker 1: I think they're just pissed that they got got Like I think they're pissed that somebody got a nomination in on this tiny movie by just knowing people and being like I think they're well liked in the business, and they just went to their friends and they were like, this is a great performance, like go check it out, you know, and they did like yap facts with the actors and whatever, Like what is.
Speaker 4: The Academy trying to say?
Speaker 2: Because it should just be who has the best part, like who did great acting? And so by even having issues with too Leslie, they're like kind of telling on themselves a little bit, where it's like it doesn't matter if it's a good performance or a small movie, like unless you're spending millions, it's against It's just, yeah, I miss being a kid and just loving the glamour and the acting and the awards.
Speaker 1: And now before you realize that, it was like a full marketing.
Speaker 4: It's a marketing machine, like the whole award ceremony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they were also saying something about how they made They may have been bad mouthing other nominees or potential nominees, but I don't know about any of that. I just think it's cool that such an underdog story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I didn't want to watch it.
Speaker 2: You watched it, you were like in to watch like a single mother struggling.
Speaker 4: I just there was nothing else.
Speaker 1: There was nothing else really on, and I was like, I'll watch this, And I really did, Like it is really sad and kind of depressing.
Speaker 4: Mark Marin is in it.
Speaker 1: He's pretty good in it, Like it's she just does a great job. Like her performance like really brought me in, Like I really have been thinking about it a lot the movie, but.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking a lot about Fleischmann is in trouble.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I never watched her yet, I might try. It's good, I was, I kept asking.
Speaker 2: I only met one other person who saw it that I could chat with them about. But it's really interesting the way they did it and perspective, and I don't know, I liked it, but there's something that hits very close to home in one of the later episodes.
Speaker 1: So that's been on my mind. Oh okay, gotcha, gotcha. Me and Jared started poker Face last night. The new Natasha way.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I'm denying it. Is it awesome? I mean, Jared and I just like love her.
Speaker 1: Jared, It's like I would watch her, like truly read a like a takeout menu, like I just like she's her up to her same tricks where she's like this, like, but it's cool. It's a cool character. It's a very Natashaly owned character. And the first episode is awesome. So okay, okay, you know that I wanted it to be her as Colombo. I wanted it to be her every episode, like solving new crimes or whatever. But I think it's more of an arc, Like she solves a big one in the first episode and then now she's like on the run, and I think that's like what the whole thing is gonna be, is like her running, but maybe also but I think on the run she picks up like other life lives and like you know, people that come into her orbit and stuff.
Speaker 4: But it's weird.
Speaker 2: I know, I watched three episodes of something yesterday and I can't even remember.
Speaker 1: Well, you texted me about to watch What Happens Live? Was it a Bravo related thing or no, Well.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely up to date on Brava and all the watch what Happens. I Actually I'm glad you brought this up because I don't know if I texted the I think I texted the group. So there's more wrestlers, so I guess Peacock's really getting into the wrestle game. So again, so there's these twins, the Bella Twins, Nicki and Bella, and they had a show called Total Divas and one day to John Cino, one's married to this other wrestler. But they're just like hot twin wrestlers that are incredible, and.
Speaker 1: They had babies like at the same time as each other. Like they did a big they did like a big people spread where they were like both pregnant because they like got pregnant at the same time.
Speaker 4: Like I don't know if it was on purpose, but they kind of did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe it. They're very close. They've had lots of reality shows. I'm sure they'll have more. She's in like she's promoting her wedding special right now. But it was her and a Bravo person and then the other twin was bartending, and they do not get along.
Speaker 4: Like I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Happened in their relationship, but it was uncomfortable and at one point the one that was sitting was just like, aren't you bartending, like to shut her up. They also played a game where they would zoom in on specific body parts and they would and she would have to guess like which twins body it was, and in everything she was like, well, yeah, that would never be me.
Speaker 4: Those fucking shoes are disgusting. Like they were. It was vicious.
Speaker 2: It was like cat it was like something is up or that's their dynamic, I mean, their sisters.
Speaker 4: Maybe it was just a quick fight. I don't know, but it was yeah.
Speaker 1: Like one time, my friend, one time, my sister was over at my place, and so was our friend Alison and my sister and I went to the front door and we were kind of having like not a real fight, but like a mini fight, and Alison was like kind of fucked up and she was, what are you guys doing over there?
Speaker 4: Sister shit?
Speaker 2: So like now, whenever like anything's going on with my sister, Allison's always like sister shit. Like we always say sister shit. And I feel like that's that's such a thing.
Speaker 4: Sister shit.
Speaker 1: It like it's really you and your sister seem like you never fight.
Speaker 4: Okay, I know what I started.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be happy what I started watching Only Murders in the Building.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right. You texted me that you were. I forgot you texted. What do you think? It's cute and fun.
Speaker 2: I'm loving it and it's like campy, but there is a mystery, but I'm not scared.
Speaker 4: It's like cozy. I know, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: It's like you want to know the mystery and somebody did lose their life, but it's like a cozy show.
Speaker 4: Like, well, he seems like a dick. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I watched the whole second season with COVID and was like this is making me feel better.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, they are such great actors, and both the characters are so unlikable, like the Martin Shore and Steve Martin.
Speaker 4: Well, how did it Martin Martin? That's wild?
Speaker 2: But I do and I just wonder how Selena Gomez got into it. I want to know how they sold it. I want to know everything about this project.
Speaker 1: My friend from the Page Program actually has been a has directed a few episodes of it, so maybe I can get some from her.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm just wondering, like, did someone write and be like I need to get the star studded cast together first to sell it, or did they cast it and they just loved the show. I'm just like curious, Are we now a show business pod? Now we're a showbiz pod? Okay, we started, but really quickly.
Speaker 1: Before we start, I just want to remind everybody that this coming next week, we are on the road a little bit in the Pacific Northwest. We're going to be in Vancouver at JFL on February twentieth, and we're going to be at Healium Portland on February twenty first, and then Tacoma Comedy Club in Tacoma, Washington on February twenty second, So go to that'smassed uplive dot com. Please come check us out live. Our live shows are super fun. And if you saw us in Seattle last time, or you saw us in Portland last time, we were there like almost a year ago. We it's all new shit, baby, it's all new episode and new stuff. So come on out and see us. And I think let's get started.
Speaker 2: And I'm doing stand up in Seattle on the twenty third.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and say come see us on the twenty second, and then go see Lisa on the twenty third.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: And then one of the actresses in Only Murders is SVU. That's I was just scrolling as you were from to that Bad Blood. She like plays the bassoon player and I was like, that's an SVU girl, small point.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: But the one who plays the bassoon player in Only Murders, Yeah, oh, well that's a famous actress.
Speaker 4: That's Amy Ryan. Yeah, so she's in an SVU. Oh I didn't know she was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's in the one where it's called Bad Blood and it's like the brother there's brothers in a building, there's another building. There's brothers in a building. And she plays the wife of like one of the bad brothers who I think bullies the other brother or whatever.
Speaker 4: Oh she's amazing. I love her.
Speaker 1: She is married to like the showrunner from Broad City, so I worked with him once and was like, I love your wife.
Speaker 4: Oh wow. Yeah, anyway, that's fun. Maybe we'll get her.
Speaker 1: But we have an awesome guest today and a great episode, so let's get going. All right, guys, we're getting into Contrapasso season nineteen, episode three.
Speaker 4: This is from back in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we open on Finn and Caresi walking on the street Carsi's regaling Finn with some old childhood stories about shoplifting rollos, and holy shit, I do love rollos, and maybe I could fuck Carisi.
Speaker 4: Who knows they're too chewy.
Speaker 2: I don't want it. I'd rather have a carmelo. I don't need a rollo. I mean, if it's in a dish, I'll take it. But I've never bought a rollo in my life. I love like a fresh roll Oh my god, I love them so much. Carmelo's too sloppy for me. The caramel's all over the place. Yeah, but that's It's just like melts. It's just like a so good. But you know, my name is Kara.
Speaker 1: When I was in college, I had a friend named Derek Melo, and he would go, if we got married, you'd be Caramelo, which I do love.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Finn's like, I was all about the jujubes, and those to me are nasty like Jujub's to me are like chewing plastic like I there's I feel like I'm gonna like rip my gums off when I'm eating those.
Speaker 1: So, you know, we all have different candy pres Fin is old so to him it's like this at the movies. Yeah, it reminds me of Seinfeld. But is that juji fruits?
Speaker 4: Is that a different thing? Okay, yeah, you know that all went through my hat. I was gonna mention it's different. Yeah. Okay, So now there and your.
Speaker 2: Favorite Seinfeld alsos junior mints. There's a big junior mins.
Speaker 4: I love a junior mint. I love a junior man. I love minty stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Finn and Crise, you're walking into the Skyline Hotel and Carisi ends a story with his mom busting him, making him confess to her and to God, but she never told his old man, and Finn's like, my dad scared the shit out of me, Like he would have beat my ass.
Speaker 4: That's why I stayed out of trouble.
Speaker 1: So I'm thinking maybe these two are like walking into the hotel to like get a drink together, because they're being so casual, and then they it's like ding and they they get out of the elevator and there's a uniform officer and it's like, oh no, they're fully responding to a call and they've just been strolling in to a crime scene talking about candy, which was really hilarious to me. So the uniformed woman cop is like, uh, yeah, we got a call about people screaming in room two forty and then when they got there, no one answered, so security let them in and there's a bloody steak knife in the sink and they're like, okay, why did you call us? Like why is this SVU? And they're like look inside the ice bucket and done done. It is a pair of balls.
Speaker 4: And Finn's reaction. Finn's reaction is great.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, like and I really would have loved to hear him say that's messed up here.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I don't have balls, and I would still go, oh, like, yeah, I would not be happy to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't even like balls really that much, like on men, So I don't want to see them separated from men.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And they were on the bed apparently when they got there, but the officer, quick thinker put them on ice, so that was smart.
Speaker 2: But they thought mess suggests, if you're like a ball person, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: I bet some people like love balls, yeah, and they should message us.
Speaker 1: Jessin Maye Palusa used to do a joke, my boyfriend is the cutest balls. I want to turn them into a pair of earrings or something like that, like she said.
Speaker 4: I just remember that joke from her a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they somehow the uniform cops did not notice this, but eagle eye Finn and Caresy noticed that there is a full trail of blood outside of the hotel room that goes to the stairwell where they find a victim passed out but still alive. Again, Finn and Caresy, what kind of candy do you like the best? Did your dad used to beat your ass? I mean, there's a man dying in a stairwell. But anyway, it is the credits. So now the top of the act one, we're getting the victim is named Jason Carr, and we've got that beautiful doctor, doctor Darby Wilder, played by Evanna Copax right, And I believe I'm saying that name right.
Speaker 4: I hope I am.
Speaker 1: We've talked about her before, beautiful doc, and she's giving them the rundown, and she's like, yes, Jason Carr, the unfortunate recipient of an amateur gonadectomy. Which I just thought that line was really funny. There's a couple funny lines in this episode, I will say.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 1: She goes, once the spermatic cord is severed, the testicles are just medical waste. And I love that, Like, once you got your balls cut off, it's not like your dick.
Speaker 4: You can get your dick reattached.
Speaker 1: I think once your sperm the testicles have left the building, they're gone. So he'll be okay, she says, with plastic surgery, prosthetics, hormones. But he had no defensive wounds and his top screen showed drugs and a high blood alcohol level, so he was quote unquote thoroughly zonked when he gave up the family jewels.
Speaker 4: I like that as well.
Speaker 1: Benson gets a phone call and when she hangs up, she's like, all right, I've been cleared of all of my charges and the ACS investigation about Noah's bruises from when this little shit tried to run into the street and his mom saved his life and then she had a full ACS report about it, which is so stressful and so now and a part of the whole Benson can't be happy crusade that goes on in the show. So now, Finn and Careesi are talking to the woman who made the nine one one call at the hotel, and she she's a realtor. She's like out placing a sign and she's like, I was there visiting a friend. I heard a man and woman's screaming, and so after I left the hotel, I called nine one one, And Finn goes, why not knock on the door and see if anyone needed help, Which I'm like, that's asking a lot of a woman, considering how men kill women all the time, Like, I don't think you need to like go get involved in a domestic dispute.
Speaker 4: Calling nine one one is enough.
Speaker 1: I would say, unless you have backup or other friends or a weapon or something like.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: They usually encourage like don't get involved in yeah, you know, like get in there, bitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's a weird thing of Finn too, to be like why do you go in there and help? Like it's not like it was a person passed out on the street who you can help. But anyway, Nora goes it wasn't my business and I called nine one one, so I thought.
Speaker 4: She did her job.
Speaker 1: So now Finn and Careesi are at the home of Julie Wade and she says she booked a room at this They don't really tell you why they're talking to Julie Wade.
Speaker 4: You do find out that it was her room.
Speaker 1: Room two forty was her room, and so just I it seems obvious, but they didn't connect it initially. So Julie Wade, they're like you, She answers the door, and they're like, HI, were the cops. You booked a room at the Skylight with your visa And she's like, no, I didn't. I was home with my boyfriend. And then this boyfriend shows up and he's a true SVU cartoon character as he comes out Yeah, an asshole, like the typical abusive boyfriend that's.
Speaker 4: Like, Julie, where are you?
Speaker 1: And then he comes out and sees two men at the door and goes, who are these mopes? Like just rude and like horrible, And then she he's like, make me something to eat before I gotta go to work, and it's like, Julie, you and danger girl get the fuck out of there. And she looks in her wallet and the card that they say she used to book this hotel room is gone, and so she's like, oh damn, I mustle left it at Costco. And they show her the picture of the guy with the missing balls and she does not recognize him. So as they're leaving, Finn's like, this is sketchy, and he goes, my money's on Stanley Kowalski in there, which I love.
Speaker 4: A streetcar reference from Finn. That's very fun.
Speaker 1: And he takes a picture of the motorcycle and the car in the driveway and says, tu will run the easy passes. So now Benson and Stable are talking to the victim, Jason, who says, I ducked into the bar to kill some time. There was a hottie there named Angela. We started chatting it up, and then he says they showed him a picture of Julie Wade and he was like, oh, she's not even close. And it's like, okay, I don't know. I felt like he was being rude like or something. Felt like he was like, she's not as hot as the woman I went upstairs with. But he said they had some cocktails. She invited him upstairs. She made him a drink from the mini bar, and then they started quote unquote getting friendly, like handshakes, high fives, you get it. This is the old Kim Rowlins Floutest Special, you know, come up to the mini bar and get drugged. And that's the last thing he remembers. He says he came to he saw all the blood and then he starts crying and he's like, I haven't even told my wife yet. So it's like, okay, this man's also cheating. What's going on at the precinct?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I like this factor and I think he's been in a few other svus.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's so familiar. And I'm an asshole and didn't look him up.
Speaker 2: I think he's also been in like comedy stuff Like I like him, Okay, I know where I know this guy. So he's in deep, he's ONP and Veep, he's in the debate.
Speaker 4: He's like one of the like the idiots.
Speaker 1: He's one of the idiots running for running. Okay, yes, yes, he is really funny. I meant to look him up.
Speaker 2: What's his name, Paul Fitzgerald. But he has sixty four? I mean he's working. And then his other svus are tortured in season four and Criminal Hatred in season fourteen.
Speaker 4: So you know an SVU stam.
Speaker 1: Tortured is I remember which one that is? The foot one right cutting off ladies feet. I think it's that one. But he must just be like another, like a red herring, because he's not like the bad guy, I don't think anyway. So now we're at the precinct, Rollins is giving us a lowdown on the victim.
Speaker 4: His name's Jason Carr. He's forty six.
Speaker 1: He's a copy editor for a trade magazine publisher. He's married but has no kids, and he lives on Grand Street. So they're talking it out and Benson brings up that a castration is usually about revenge, that's like sexually motivated. But he didn't know the perpetrators. So Finn is like, could just be some psycho that hates men? And I'm like, yeah, there are a lot of us out there. Uh, and Rollin suggests just kidding. I love a lot of men, but a lot of you are terrible.
Speaker 4: Or Rollin suggests that.
Speaker 2: Maybeah, men hate women, Like that is what's so funny about that insult of like look at these man haters, and it's like, you mean the opposite is society, Like hate of women is so ingrained in our world that we don't even talk about it. But it's like it bothers me so much when like, yeah, if you want some like wife who just makes you sandwiches and can't leave the house, guess.
Speaker 4: What you hate women? You know what I mean? Like yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So Rowin's is like, oh, maybe it was the cutter was doing someone else's business. It could be a jolted lover of his spouse. Maybe it was Stanley Kowalski hiring someone else to do it or whatever. And then Coreese gets something on the security footage two minutes before the nine to one to one call came through. Boom, there's Julie Waye, the Costco credit card loser, not calling her a loser, saying she lost her credit card walking around the hotel and she's not in Yonkers with her jerk ass boyfriend.
Speaker 4: She's at this fucking hotel where she said she wasn't.
Speaker 2: But my thing is like, what where do these girls get off thinking they're going to trick everyone?
Speaker 4: I talk about it later.
Speaker 1: I no, later, I have like a rundown of all their mistakes, and I'm like, girls like you just cannot there's.
Speaker 2: Some trauma, but it's like, of course there's cameras. Of course they know it's you in the room. Of course there's an easy pass, like what are you guys doing?
Speaker 1: But like where let's wear a baseball hat where they can't really identify who it is, like who's who?
Speaker 4: Like let's I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's like very I mean, maybe we watched too much as for you, but we're always telling people how they could commit their crimes better. They bring Julie into the precinct, confront her about the credit card, show her a pick of herself on security and she's like, that isn't me. And she's like, I mean it looks like me, but it's not me. And it's like babe, here's your easy Pass receipt. And I guess my dad's right, Like, if you don't want the government following you, just don't use easy Pass, or if you're gonna do a crime, just pay cash at the toll or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Easy Path. You can't really do that anymore.
Speaker 2: You can't do it anymore. Then you got to stay off the highways. But even then there's light cameras.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, yeah, you take backstreets to a location, then take an Uber, but you gotta use someone else's account because or take a taxi where you pay cash. It is really hard to not leave a digital trail these days, I will.
Speaker 2: Say, because even if I was thinking, you can call a car service and pay cash, but like the phone number is still there.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, it's just very hard to escape, and pay phones don't even exist anymore.
Speaker 2: I'm very munch right now, but it is hard to escape the the eye of big brother.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, as much as them. It's even that.
Speaker 2: Idaho killer guy, like he turned off his phone or whatever when he was doing those attack like murders, but he had visited the house twelve times and then he turned his phone on, right, after and it's like you think, even when you think you're smart, it's like, did you not listen to Cereal? Like cell phone tower pings were like the whole case in Cereal? Yeah, okay, So she denies knowing Jason, this woman Julie, and Cariese's like, okay, so why was he in your hotel room? Then they tell her that he was castrated, and she looks shocked and she's like, if I'm not under arrest, i gotta go. And Carisy makes a joke like, oh, you got to go home for your boyfriend's four PM feeding and I kind of like that. He's like, get out of their girl, and he doesn't know. She goes he doesn't need to know about this, and it's like yeah, because he probably will hit you or something. He seems like a full abuser.
Speaker 1: Finn and Benson are trying to figure shit out because Jason says he doesn't know Julie, so what's the connect here. The knights they found in the hotel room had the name Cheyenne on it, which, of course Live knows immediately. She's like a nightlife queen. She knows that that is a steakhouse in Hell's kitchen that is a few blocks away from the hotel and is probably where live one on a bad date once or something, and Finn's like, I'll go check it out. So they're talking to this host. She's like, I'm not good with faces. I'm more of a word person, and he's like, here's a word focus, and I just think it's like, we're getting some old school funny lines here this app oh oh, and I noticed when I was noticing this episode had some good lines. It was written by Richard Swern, who one of our listeners named Randy came to our Boston show and told us that she knows him, so maybe we'll get him on the pod soon because he seems like a funny writer and would be fun. So this hostess, his name is Lilah, and Carisi starts laying it on. She's very beautiful, and Carisy's like, Lila, are you on ig? And she's like yes, and he's like Tinder and she's like, wouldn't you like to know? And then he's like Facebook and she's like duh, and it's like, I don't know, it's twenty seventeen. I don't think anybody young and beautiful was really on Facebook that much anymore. I mean, I'm still on it for like mom groups, like I'm just not on it like for social stuff that much. And he's convincing her that's that she's already a pro and identifying people because she's on social media, and it's like, okay, Carisy, I don't know how you got through there. But his flirting does make her fetus and she says, I've never seen the guy before, but I'm pretty sure, Julie, she points to Julie, I'm pretty sure she was here that night. She had dinner with a regular named Evelyn Bundy. So Evelyn is a regular at a steakhouse, and.
Speaker 2: There were well, the millionaire matchmaker Patty Sanger says, if you want to meet men, you go to the palms, go to steakhouses. Yeah, you sit at the palms. Yeah, maybe that's what Yanne's up. So, I mean, Evelyn, my old boss, loved the poem. I was on the phone with the palm multiple times a week.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And she said there were three of them, and Nora Galen is the one that picked up the check.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Oh, that is the realtor girl who.
Speaker 1: Called nine one one. So now something is up how are these three ladies all connected. At the precinc we do see Evelyn talking to Rollins, we don't really hear what they're saying. And then Finn strolls in with Nora and walks her by Evelyn and they like make on eye contact but don't acknowledge.
Speaker 4: Each other in any way.
Speaker 1: So they bring Nora into a room and they're like, we need to verify what friend you were visiting at the hotel, what their room number was, and she's like, I don't really feel comfort giving out that information. And they're like, okay, weirdo, where were you before the hotel? And she's like, I was by myself. And it's like they have credit card receipts, like do you not understand about credit card receipts? Like are you going to argue that you had a dinner by yourself for like two hundred dollars at a steakhouse? I guess treat yourself. But they know that you were with Julian Evelyn and she's like, oh, okay, yeah, Julie, I remember her now. And then they're like what about Evelyn. She's like Nope, don't know her. It's like give it up and she's like, I just met her that night and I know her as eve They were like, we just walked you past her and you didn't recognize her. She's like, you didn't say anything, and she was like, oh no, I didn't even recognize her.
Speaker 4: So it's all of this.
Speaker 1: Honestly, people on the show usually give it up a lot quicker, and these women are just like lies, lies, lies, Like really I almost respect it, Like they're just keeping digging and hoping that it will work.
Speaker 4: And finally she.
Speaker 1: Realizes the jig is up, and plus Careese tells her to cut the crap, and she's like, I'm done talking. So now we cut to Evelyn who is talking to Rollins and she says, I go to that bar a lot. They got half pre cocktail hour, which I'm finding hard to believe that a steakhouse has that great book of a happy hour, because cocktails there are usually like eighteen dollars.
Speaker 2: No, but maybe at the bar, like maybe at the bar the cocktail tables they have their own little menu.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. So anyway, Evelyn's in there trying to catch a man. I don't get it, but she's there, she says, and she's like, I had never met these women before. I met them at the bar at a bar uh, and then they were nice enough to take me to dinner and she's like, I don't remember.
Speaker 4: They go what about Jason Carr? And she's like, I meet a lot of men.
Speaker 1: I don't think I know who that is, like blah blah blah, but you can kind of tell she's stone Walling. And she looks at his photo with the classic SVU like I flicker where it's like you definitely know something, but she goes, Nope, don't know him, you know, And then she goes to take her anxiety medication, and Rollins is like, pills booze, what's going on in your life right now, Evelyn? And it's like she's on anti anxiety medication and she was at a bar having a drink with friends.
Speaker 4: I don't really think that's like she's self.
Speaker 1: Destructing, but you know, Rollins is looking for a way in and she Evelyn does not care to share with Rollins what is going on. And Rollins is like, Okay, well this guy got neutered right around the time that you were enjoying a lovely meal with these two strange women that you just met, so what's going on? And then she lawyers up. So the women are clamming up one by one. Back at the precinct, we've got Coreesy at the corkboard breaking it all down. He's like Nora's a realtor in Hastings. Julie keeps keeps house for some bro and Yonkers, and Evelyn is a bartender in the city. But then Benson notices that Evelyn's license says Katona, and that means all three of these ladies have a tie to Westchester County.
Speaker 4: And I grew up right down the street from Westchester County.
Speaker 1: My house is three houses away from the Westchester County border, so I did grow up listening to an ad for the Westchester County Fair, and this really reminded me of it. It's like rides and attraction, non stop action at the Westchester County Fair, and it was just really funny. They tried to make it sound like it was in Alabama, and it was in Westchester County, New York.
Speaker 2: Is it the same kind of like county fair that is stereotypical of like Iowa or the South?
Speaker 1: Did you ever, No, I never went. I would have loved to but I never got to go. But it was on the radio all the time at the Westchester County Fair, and I always wanted to go, And but I don't know if it was like you know, weighing, guessing a pig's weight and all the stuff that you get at a regular county fair, or if it was just like rides.
Speaker 4: Well, I just tried a.
Speaker 2: Funny sketch, like a Westchester Fair is hysterical to me. Yeah, like instead of buttercarving, I don't know what it is, like hiding your mistress. Yeah, like Westchester's like where Scarsdale is, it's like very I don't know, it's just it's the It has some towns that are not as wealthy, some towns that are very very wealthy, sometimes that are very Jewish.
Speaker 4: It's just funny, yeah, for there to be a county fair.
Speaker 1: So anyway, these women were all born in seventy nine or seventy eight, So let's check the high school. Nora's LinkedIn page lol says Packard Prep in Ryebrook, which I know of Ryebrook as well. And Benson's like, is there a yearbook online from ninety five? And I don't think most yearbooks are online, but they immediately are like booby boop and like pull up a yearbook.
Speaker 4: Maybe cops have access to some kind of yearbook day base.
Speaker 1: I don't know about, but I've never been able to find my own yearbook stuff online. And it turns out done done. All three of these girls went to the same school. Julie was a junior and the other two were sophomores. And twist, they were all in the Updike Literary Club and look who was their advisor but bumb bomb Jason Carr. So now there's the connect. All three of these women were in a club.
Speaker 2: Now, if this wasn't RSVU detectives, do you think they would have gotten caught? Do you think someone would have done the yearbook and tried to connect them and find Jason Carr? Yes, because it's like a dude's dick.
Speaker 4: Actually getting cut off.
Speaker 2: Like do you think just regular cops would be able to do this or to It depends? Like I do think that in some cases, like when the cops are trying to find like a shooter that's on the loose, or find like someone like the Boston bomber, I think they pull out all the fucking stops and they are very good at finding footage and doing all this shit, but like a guys being castrated, I don't know if they put all this effort in.
Speaker 4: I don't know. That's a great question. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I think yes, just because it's the balls. I didn't when I first asked it. When I first asked it, it was a leading question where I was like, of course they wouldn't. But then I was like, I think they might have empathy for this guy missing his balls, and maybe like but then I think about like the West the Boogeyman crime we covered and how the woman was like I think it's a ninety four Mercury and it was actually a ninety five Mercury and they just didn't open the scope research and more women went missing. So to me, I just can't imagine them like finding a yearbook and connecting club sponsors, but so quickly.
Speaker 1: I mean it's obviously television, but all of this has done so fast. All the yearbooks are online everybody, like the club photos are online. Like you might be able to find what high school I went to and what year I graduated randomly and some kind of weird database, but there's not gonna be a club of me writing for the school newspaper. I don't think that picture's up online, but I will put it on the Instagram if people are interested anyway.
Speaker 4: So now at the top of.
Speaker 1: Act two, we're at Carr's house and they're showing him the yearbook and he's like, oh my god, I taught there twenty years ago. I don't really remember anything or any of the people or the students, and Rollins throws down pictures of the three women.
Speaker 4: And this is when we see.
Speaker 1: Carr's very young wife is there, like she looks much younger than him, and Jason is denying that she.
Speaker 2: Looks of like a different time, like she looks like little women time.
Speaker 4: She has very porcelain skin.
Speaker 2: Oh she's very little princess, very dark like snow white vibes like very olden day kept princess. I feel she actually, yeah, her skin was quite alabaster. And so he's like, oh, these women had nothing to do with it, and he's he's obviously stonewalling. He's like, I just want to move this all behind me and move on and put it all behind me. It was bad enough I had to confess to cheating on my wife, but you know, in the last twenty four hours she's completely processed it and forgiven me completely right, honey, And she's like totally, Like it's so funny. And then he asks the cops to leave, and as they're leaving, Rollins goes his child bride knows he's something and it was really making me laugh.
Speaker 4: And in Benson's office, child Bride is a funny ur.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean anything funny and it's very serious, but saying child Bride is funny.
Speaker 1: In Benson's office, she's there with Barbara selling him on the case, and he's like, I cannot prosecute the assault unless the victim makes an ID and then Cariese goes, why don't we charge all three with obstruction for obfuscating our investigation? And Barbara looks at Carisi and goes, obfuscate yummy, And I'm like, do you want to fuck Kriese? Like I get it's so funny to me when everybody's like Barbara and live and I'm like, I don't get a full gay vibe from Barbara.
Speaker 4: I get a very bisexual vibe from Barba.
Speaker 1: Like I feel like Barbara wants to fuck everybody like and so I just was like, oh, I don't think I've ever noticed that he truly looks like he's flirting with Caresi in this scene, like turned on by his vocab choice. So anyway, Benson's like, yeah, the obstruction charge could be the leverage we need to get these ladies to talk. And Barba's like, yeah, you could do it, but get car on board or this train is going nowhere. And I don't know if that's upon about cars and trains, but I like it. And then Benson says, get their asses for obstruction and put them in the same holding cell.
Speaker 4: Everyone leaves the office to go do their.
Speaker 1: Business, and then in walks hot Hottie Trevor Langan mister Marishka Hargate aka the Personal Laundry spokesman, and he's there to do a scene with his fucking wife and I love it, and he's like, you don't return my calls, and he's got some bad news. When he helped Olivia do the adoption, he was under the impression that Ellie Porter's parents were both dead, which is what Ellie told Live, but she lied and done done. Ellie's mother, Sheila Porter, is still alive, and Sheila has filed a petition to vacate the adoption. And I'm sure there's lawyers who listen to this who would know more about this than I do. But like I'm a as a costa worker, as I've told you guys before that I am it is my job to try to locate family members of the case i've worked with, because the foster system is designed that, like kids can go to a family member, so like almost any distant family member over a stranger. Like if there's any family member in their life, a cousin they've never met, who lives ten states away, if they're willing to take the kid, that's who they go to. Pretty much in my experience, if their houses, if their house is deemed like safe and all of the protections have been put in place, and so I find it extremely hard to believe that they would not have found Sheila in the routine records check when working on his adoption. Like I'm like, it's either TV magic or it's a major fuck up. From Trevor Langen and he's like, there's so many porters in New York State, but it's like you can track down who people are related to via their Social Security numbers. It's not like you're just going to start calling every porter in the phone book and being like, is your daughter Ellie? Like you can tell if she has parents that are deceased or alive. There are public records. So it's kind of mad at him. I have a huge fuck up, Like it is like I almost don't believe it because I think that they're obviously shoehorning it into they could have a cool storyline with a cool actress who's going to play Sheila. But I just feel like, if you're a lawyer, please write in and tell me if I'm right here, because I feel like this is such a massive fuck up that like almost wouldn't would be unable to happen. You would have to run social Security numbers and check for other relatives. Anyway, Benson is obviously furious, and she's like, if I lose Noah after everything I've been through, And he goes, there's no legal basis to vacate the adoption, and it's like, yes, there is. Did you watch the episode Stolen, a boy who had been adopted for twelve years was returned to his biological dad, who he didn't even know because biological relatives take precedence.
Speaker 4: There's absolutely grounds to vacate this adoption.
Speaker 1: I don't know why he's like lying to Olivia, but again, lawyers, please write me. And he's so he's trying to convince her that everything's going to be okay, and she's like, get the fuck out of here. And I mean, I get it because I think maybe she knows he's bullshitting or whatever. But now we see all three members of the Castration Club are in a holding cell and they are bickering, and it's like.
Speaker 2: That's march Castration Club. That is actual merch. You don't love Castration Club.
Speaker 1: Oh, Like, we're gonna go around cut off, cut off guys balls.
Speaker 4: I mean, I hope people wear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let us know if you'd wear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, these girls are just in there being like I told you we weren't going to get away with it. I mean they're literally being so loud they're not even whispering, And I'm like, these bitches never stood a chance. Like, don't book a hotel with a credit card, pay cash, don't leave the weapon behind. Call nine one one from like a payphone or the lobby phone where they can't reach you. It's like there's so many mistakes that these women made. But I think you find out kind of why later. They made out they didn't do all this pre planning because I think that they didn't really know what was going to be happening. So they're being very loud. They're like, tell them the truth and they'll go easier on them. And then they're like, CARIESI, we want to talk to you. They're like, we don't want lawyers anymore. We want to tell the truth, and so boom, that's the end of Act two. Top of AC three, Evelyn is spilling her guts. She's talking about being a sophomore at Packers. She transferred there from public school. She had no friends, and mister Carr's poetry class was like her only saving grace. He listened to her, he gave her compliments about how smart she was. Cut to Nora saying the same shit, he wrote notes on my paper about how I was smart. Julie, we're doing like a little bit of a bop around the world with all these different girls. Julie's like, he made me a mixtape of grunge music because he knew I loved Nirvana. I mean, that's some fucking grooming shit, you're twenty six four years old, twenty six years old making a mixtape for a teen, like, that's crazy. And they all felt very special about getting mister Carr's extra attention. And Evelyn describes how he gave her this big conk shell and he said it was a metaphor for me, a treasure washed up by the waves playing on the outside and inside shiny and smooth with pink and orange swirls, and it's like ugh. And she was sixteen at the time, and Nora said, the first time and then they're gone, Nora, and Nora's like, the first time we ever had sex. He brought me to his apartment to watch a film and then with Evelyn, and he brought her out to his car to smoke weed. And then Julie tells her story and she's like, well, when I showed up to the place we were supposed to meet, he didn't show up. So she just like the two girls got fully assaulted and then the other girls like I got ghosted, and but it equally it equally not, I don't know about equally, but it fucked her up anyway. She felt very worthless that this man who had given her all this attention, and like love has was now just ditching her. So that's she started to self harm. And so at the twentieth reunion they realized what was up. They all kind of shared a look. They started sharing how this teacher fucked them all up emotionally. Like Julie has self harm, Nora has major trust issues that have led her to be alone in Evelyn's like me, I mean, I mean, she doesn't even get into it.
Speaker 4: I guess she's just like I'm a mess.
Speaker 1: As Roland said, I take you anti anxiety medication and I enjoy a couple of cocktails.
Speaker 4: Well not only that, she had, you know, some tattoos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had. You know, she was a little goths. She was a paramour punk girl. You know, so we could tell she's dark sided.
Speaker 1: Yes, a little bit edgy and like you could tell some maybe yeah, darkseye.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: I cannot hear it without but I see her thinking about your husband.
Speaker 4: Without hear them. You're dark sided, like I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Oh, I only know it because of Jared wanting a dark sided kid. Oh yeah, but you know what it's from? Dark sided? Well you said, Now I know it's trading spouses. But I didn't realize that. Yes, okay, I didn't realize we talked about this before. You know, I can't keep track of what we talk about it.
Speaker 4: Well now because you just mentioned it.
Speaker 2: But I could see her like bartending in so many bars I went to in Chicago and probably any arc like she also looks like someone that would be a Jumbo's clown room, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she And also it's like not to not to judge what anybody does, but this is like a woman in her forty or I mean in her late thirties who's bartending, but was like a very gifted student and poet, and like, you know, it feels like maybe she's got some arrested development from what happened. Like you know, I'm not saying that bartenders are not smart people, but I think that it's implying like she you know, she didn't go on to like write or like do things with her passions unless she's passionate about bartending.
Speaker 4: What do I fucking know? Anyway, they they all.
Speaker 1: Thought that if they could confront mister Carr, they could get some closure. So Julie reached out to him, and he agreed to meet her at the hotel bar, and Evelyn is telling all of this and then she kind of stops and she's like to Cariese, she's like, you're not going to understand this because you're a man, and Cariese's like, look, that guy was a predator who belongs in prison, and she's like, still not buying it. But then Carise reveals he has a niece. There's a female person in his life who magically turned him good. So but he's like, he's like, if I had a knee, if someone did something like this to my niece, I'd fuck that guy up. So I understand where you're coming from. He's like trying to get on her side and like make her feel trust with him. So now Evelyn does feel safe and continues talking to him and says they asked Carr if he remembers what he did to them, and he acted like he could barely recall it, and that he was a great teacher and taught them to love the arts, and also that they were teen sluts and they seduced him, so he blamed for their experience. And then Evelyn totally lost it and was like, I wanted to damage him the way he damaged me. So she spiked his drink with the pills, and once she was passed out, she got the knife that she stole from the restaurant. And it's like, uh, oh, bitch, that's premeditation. And she said she told Julie and Nora to leave. So that does a little bit explain why they made so many mistakes because they weren't planning this out to be a physical attack all of them.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, and it was spur of the moment, but.
Speaker 1: If I think I thought, if they were all planning to confront and maybe physically hurt him, they needed to do a little bit more cover up. But I think instead they were just like, let's make up a bunch of half baked lies and see if we can get out of this. So she tells Julie and Nora to leave, and then she explains the name of the episode to Coesi. She's like, do you know the term contrapasso. It's from Dante's Inferno, which I don't want to brag, but I've actually read, and it means to suffer the opposite, like an Italian contra means against, So I think it's like what it means is basically the punishment in Hell is the opposite of the crime, or it's a mirror of the crime, Like if you're a rapist, you lose your balls. So him sexually abusing these women's, yeah, it means that he had to get his balls.
Speaker 4: Dante's as.
Speaker 1: Dante's Inferno, Well, Dante The Divine Comedy is in three parts.
Speaker 4: It's Inferno, Purgatory, and.
Speaker 1: Heaven, I think, or it's called that because it it's Inferno purgatorio, and then yeah, I think it's Heaven. And it's a guy going on a journey through all the layers of hell, and it's wild. Inferno's the best one. Paradizo, Paradise, Heaven. Yes, I should have known that. I read it twenty years ago, but I took a class on Dante and it's actually super superfascinating. It's like really really filled with like a lot of symbolism and like cool metaphors and like it's fun to read and like fun to kind of like talk about.
Speaker 4: But it's wild.
Speaker 2: Like you see people that are just like in Hell, they have to be like face down on the ground with like fire going into them.
Speaker 1: Like the shit that's Inferno is wild. But you kind of have to read You can't read it like on your own. I felt like I had to read it in a class with like a teacher, a professor kind of like guiding me because it's not like and then we went to this neighborhood Like it's a very like sort of more abstract story about like moving through these different levels of hell and then you go to O progatory and then paradise and what's happening.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if I explained it very well to Lisa, but.
Speaker 2: About that and then, uh, I hope it's as fun as Hades Town.
Speaker 4: Well, she has a fun line at the end.
Speaker 1: She was like, well, so I'd like to thank you mister Carr for always encouraging me to.
Speaker 4: Read the classics.
Speaker 1: And I love that, like he taught her this literature and then she fucking used it to cut his balls off. So a smart woman Benson arrives at work and the whole squad is immediately on her ass, like they like descend on her the minute she walks in, and the they're like, the other two women didn't know about the so we got to let them go because that gets rid of these obstruction charge but Evelyn confessed, so let's get her assault one. And then Cariese is like, well, you know, if it wasn't for the statute of limitations, we'd be charging Car with these with these crimes, and liv Is like, you're right. Why don't you get her down here with her lawyer and we'll see if we can get a pleado going. So in the meeting, her lawyer says, Evelyn has some more tea to spell, but you have to promise not to use it in court, and Live says, all right, I have to run it by the DA. But let's get talking, and she knows. Evelyn knows she did a bad thing, but it freaked her out to see him again. She was drunk and she just snapped when he blamed them for what he did. And then Lives like, okay, girl, but like there's a statute of limitations, like we can't charge him, and you brought a knife, and she's like, I brought the knife for protection from Car. He can get violent, and then She's like say more, and Evelyn's like, the last time I went to go see him was at his apartment. I went to break it off with him because I heard he was seeing a different teen, and he got angry. He took a cork screw held it to her face and then he held her down and he sexually assaulted her. And Live knocks on the glass and like knocks on it and goes you see in this or no, she goes you on this and uh, behind there, it's like Careesi and Barba and Finn. I think I think Barba's there, but they really rarely break that third.
Speaker 2: Walk, Like I like the knocking on the window, Yeah, comunity.
Speaker 1: She doesn't usually like knock to be like someone's watching, Like she's normally like I'll be right back. And so basically what this means is because he used force with a deadly weapon that knocks it up to rape one and there's no statute limitations for that.
Speaker 4: So Rollins is.
Speaker 1: Like she could have just come up with this, like she might have just Barba's not there. Actually it's just Rowlin's and Finn and Creasy and Ron. Yeah, Rollin's is like, I don't really believe victims, So like she could have just come up with this, and it's like I guess, but I don't think her lawyer would have like made her perjure herself and I don't think she has such a knowledge of the law that she knows what rape. One has a statute and the other one doesn't. And Finn and CARESI like no hesitation or like we believe her. It's like take a note, rollins. And so they go and they arrest Car at his apartment and his wife is like, what are you doing? So now in the fourth act, Benson is walking into her office where Car's baby bride is waiting for her, and she's like, how can you do this?
Speaker 4: Et cetera, et cetera. And Benson's like, how did you two meet?
Speaker 1: And he's like, you think because he's older than me, he has some kind of fetish for young girls. And it's like most men do, and you are twenty five years old. Like she's like, we met four years ago when I had a summer internship for college. So worse at the oldest, she's twenty six. At the youngest, she's twenty like three or something if she had the internship for freshman year.
Speaker 2: And it seems like a lot of the child rides. It's like, well, I'm an exception. We really have this like connection and maybe you are connected like age gap love. I guess happens, but it's not as unique as these right people.
Speaker 4: Want to make it seem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he does marry her, but he's also still cheating on her, so it's like you could feel better, like different, like, oh, he put a ring on it for me, but he's also cheating on you.
Speaker 3: So live.
Speaker 1: She's twenty five now and she's like, we're never going to have a family and lives like, well, here's a photo of my adopted son, Noah, like he makes everything worth it. And she's like, she says, the most wild thing she goes an adopted kid would just be a reminder of the night he stopped being a man. And it's like the balls really make the man. I guess I just never thought of that, Like Steve lost a ball and sex and the city, you can still have sex, Like I don't know, it's weird thing to say.
Speaker 4: But she's also a baby, so.
Speaker 2: No, I think if both balls are gone, you're done. I don't think you can get hard. That's what castrating is. Oh, and that's why he has the prosthetic. Yeah, Like I don't know, the from Game of Thrones, like the monks or whatever, I don't know, like they cut the Eunuchs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Unich, But the Eunuchs I think have their dicks cut off. Oh, I think Unix have no dicks.
Speaker 2: But I feel like cas maybe castration's just sperm. Yeah, I'm googling you, Nick. I feel like he's doing it.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's a man who's been castrated. Yeah, okay, so I'm wrong. I always thought that they had their dicks cut off. You can't just cut off a dick because then you can't even pee. Well, you just have a big hole. You can't cut off a dick.
Speaker 4: Bomba will live. Okay, I'm so sorry. I'm an idiot.
Speaker 1: It's just being castrated's just cutting off your ball so that you can't have sex. I'm sorry he can't have sex.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just feel like it's like, mean, he'll still get a prosthetic, you can still fuck. Like it's weird to be like he's not a man anymore because he got his balls cut off, Like you're a dog.
Speaker 4: You gotta be a little more empathetic.
Speaker 2: He lost his balls mere days ago, you know what I mean, Like they could maybe with time he can figure out he's not even Steve had some existential issues about his manhood even with one ball. That's why she fucks him. It was okay, it was a mercy fuck, as Samantha Jones calls it.
Speaker 1: Yes, you are correct, Okay, fine, I take it back.
Speaker 4: He's stopped. But it is also wild to say that an.
Speaker 1: Adopted child would remind you of the night your husband got his balls cut off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's twenty five, she's an idiot.
Speaker 4: I think I told you.
Speaker 2: There's a comedian and he was on stage bitching about his wife. If I said this on the podcast, cut it out whatever, or get used to it.
Speaker 4: We repeat things.
Speaker 2: So this comic was doing jokes about his wife and the guy next to me goes, his wife seems toxic, and I go, she's twenty five and this man is deep in his forties.
Speaker 4: Oh god.
Speaker 2: The guy next to me started laughing and goes, that explains so much. And I go, yeah, up top of his jokes, he should say I date it, I'm married to a child bribe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why she.
Speaker 2: Acts like a fucking lunatic because her brain's not fully developed, do you know what I mean? But he's up there telling jokes like my crazy wife, and it's like she's over twenty years younger than you, Like, yeah, you learn lessons in time, So of course she has these beliefs, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I mean yes, Okay.
Speaker 1: So in court, Evelyn is on the stand telling her story and she's describing in detail the night that car attacked her to Barbara on the stand and she's like saying that he said, you can't break up with me, only I can break up with you. And then Barbara sits down and it's Carr's lawyer's turn, and this actress is Annabeth Gish, who is a childhood favorite of mine. Are you familiar with Annabeth Gish, the woman that's playing the lawyer of Jason Carr.
Speaker 4: No, so she is from the movie Shag. She's from the movie Mystic Pizza.
Speaker 1: Like she is just a really big part of like movies I watched in my childhood, Like you would love Shag. It's like about a bunch of girls that like tell their parents they're going to Fort Sumter, but instead they go to like Hilton Head, and they go to one of their vacation houses and they just have fucking parties and they hook up with guys and they enter dance contest.
Speaker 2: Bridget Fondas in it. It's like a big It's Bridget fond of Phoebe Kate's and Annabeth Gish, I'm obsessed with a shag and then she recently Annabeth Gish played you know, one of my hometown murders is this woman, Jennifer Dulos, who famously had five kids in and she they lived in New Canaan, in my town, and she disappeared and her SUV was just found near where I had my post prom and was just like never and then her husband took his own life.
Speaker 1: He cleared her ex husband. He clearly did it, like but it's wild. She's just gone, like no one ever found her body. And Annabeth Gish just played her in a movie called Gone Mom. I think I'm made for TV movie. But anyway, it's a wild story. I'm I'm sure they will be an svie about it.
Speaker 2: I just wish he wrote where her body is or what he did before he took his own life. Not that I would expect him to be a polite man in his death, but.
Speaker 1: No, like he was actually like a full psychotic narcissist, like all the all. There's like a very big article in like New York magazine. Or Vanity Fair one of the maybe the Atlantic, like one of those big ones that I read about their relationship, and it was like he was a full like asshole, and so I'm sure he wouldn't do that. He also just took his own life and left his kids without a father, like five children to get away from what he did.
Speaker 4: So it's really or I mean, I think he did it.
Speaker 1: I think all the evidence points to him doing it, but you know, I guess I can't say it's alleged anyway. This Annabeth Gish, this is her only episode of SVU playing a defense attorney, and she's a bitch and heels. She's like asking Evelyn, so did you ever tell anyone about this attack? And then she's like, no, I didn't because I didn't think anyone would believe me. And then she's like, oh, because you were having consensual sex with him for like six months, and it's like, this is a very dumb lawyer move to even bring up consensual sex to someone who's talking about something that happened when they were sixteen, because we know that she can't consent, and that's what Evelyn says.
Speaker 4: She's like, I couldn't consent.
Speaker 1: I acquiesced, and then she goes, oh, is that a fancy word that means you liked it, And that's not what aquiesque means. And it's very rude, and Barbara objects and the judge overrules it, which I don't don't really get, and then so she just starts like badgering Evelyn about you're only bringing up this forcible rape claim because you know it's a way around the statute of limitations, and Evelyn is like, bitch, I was a teen and my teacher, who trusts I trusted, took advantage of me. And then huge dramatic moment, she pulls out the conk shell that she was referring to earlier when she was talking to I think Rollin's or something or no Careesi, and she's like, remember this, mister Carr, I saved it as a reminder, and the lawyers like move to strike, and before the judge can even respond, Evelyn like raises the shell up and then smashes it on the edge of the witness box and it's really dramatic. She's bleeding, shaking, holding like shards of shell in her hand, and then they cut to a shot of car but you can see his wife right behind him like glaring, and so we know something's up with that little baby. So we go to recess and get Evelyn a fucking band aid for her hand, and Carr's wife looks furious on the way out of this scene. So the next scene, she walks into the precinct and she I feel like she's wearing the same clothes. It's the same day, but maybe I was like, she just ran home and she knew that there was a box of Jason's old teaching papers in the basement, and so she went and got them. And she's holding the Packard Literary Journal from nineteen ninety five and she directs them to a poem on page fifteen. Rollins glances at this poem and then is like, why are you showing this us? This actually like hurts your husband's case. And then she reaches into her purse and pulls out done done, a shell just like Evelyn's. She got conked too. So this dude's just out there given shells to random teens across decades, like a full weirdo and now and they're all falling for it. Every single one is like, thank you for my shell, daddy, And so now Jason is on the stand saying not to make fun of them. A teacher giving you attention, a young teacher giving you attention and coming on to you like that. I could absolutely have seen myself falling for something like that. I think I had crutches on, like all my male teachers that were under thirty. And now Jason's on the stand saying, I was really young when I taught there. I had feelings for Evelyn, and he goes, I know it sounds creepy, but I was twenty four, and it's like and she was sixteen, Like it's weird. I wouldn't a twenty four year old now, I'd say like, no, you can't do that. And he's like, I look back, and there's no excuse. I took advantage of my power. It was wrong, and I'm so sorry, But I never used force to get Evelyn to have sex with me. So then this is what it's all boiling down to. He's not now not denying that he had sex with teens. It's all about this one encounter with Evelyn with the quarkscrew, and so he said, I wanted to say sorry to the women, and that's why I agreed to meet them at the hotel. But then he describes everything that's happened since he got castrated, like the plastic surgery, the hormones, the nightmares, and every time he looks down, he's reminded that he'll never be a dad. And it's like, I don't really care, sir, and maybe you shouldn't be a dad. You're like out there.
Speaker 4: Hooking up with teens when you're in your twenties.
Speaker 1: And he starts crying, and this man can cry on a dime, so I don't really know if I trust it. And because he's this is already the second time he's cried in this episode, and he can't believe that someone could do this to another human being, and he's like, haven't I suffered enough? And now it's Barba's turn, and guys, he's got that literary journal in his hands and he whips that baby over to car and he's like, would you mind reading page fifteen the poem aloud? And he has such a smug, barble look on his face. It's kind of fun, Like I normally hate smugness, but when Barbara's smug, I kind of love it. And the poem is called Corkscrew and it's a full poem about being assaulted, and he's like, would you say that the person that the man reads it out loud?
Speaker 4: Car?
Speaker 1: And then Barbara's like, would you say that the author of this poem was sexually assaulted? And he's like, everyone knows poems are just fake and imagination and they're not real.
Speaker 4: They're all metaphors and stuff.
Speaker 1: And it's like, yes, Evelyn wrote the poem and it was published in April of nineteen ninety five. This is very damning, Like she may not have told somebody, but she fully recounted this happening in a published work. And then we get shots of Evelyn looking very dramatic, the wife looking very dramatic.
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Next scene, Live sidles up to Barba at the bar, and she knew exactly where to find him. It's probably for Forlini's or whatever, because when he comes back, it's called last call at for Lani's Bar or something. So Barba is considering offering a deal, and he says he could do four years, the same as what Evelyn's going to do, and lives like, but you proved that it was forcible, and then he says, yeah, if she'd done anything other than castrate him, like broke his nose, pokem in the eye.
Speaker 4: This would have been easier.
Speaker 1: He's like, I think there's seven men on that jury who are going to feel Car's pain because they too have balls. And so they have this philosophical combo about like why they do what they do, and then Live goes we do this because the next girl who gets raped needs to know that that person is us. And I feel like the editors forgot a line because it's like what person you didn't?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: I know, it's like the person who's going to fight for you, but but the language is weird. I watched it six times to try to understand what was going on, and I was like, oh, it's just like an editor took out a line about like we're the person that fights. So back in court, it's closing statement time and Carr's lawyer, Annabeth Gish is talking about an eye for an eye, basically saying like not even denying the crimes anymore, like even if he did this, he's received adequate punishment, and Barbara wants not only the eye, but an ear as well, and so she's like, is that just are we giving Evelyn more justice than she deserves. And it's like, how do you get to decide how much justice a rape victim gets as a like a teen rape victim gets. So it's really wild and she is a master bitch. I'm loving this for her. So now Barbara gets ready for what is going to be a master class closing argument. I did say this is one of his best performances. What we're about to see. He crumples up a piece of paper, like, get ready for this, and he's talking about if fair equals just, he's like, got it, So we we've all decided that fair just And he's arguing that that's kind of we can't let it just be like that, Like if a guy whose house burns down can just go out and burn down the house of an arsonist, or a guy whose kids are murdered can go murder the kids of his kid's killer, it's fair, so it must be just, Like if it's the same, it must be just. Then he's like, but then why bother with cops or courts, Like, honestly, if that's the way it's gonna be, we can all just go vigilante justice until our heart's content, you know, like everybody just do eye for an eye all the time, and he's like, if it's fair, it has.
Speaker 4: To be just let the blood flow in the streets.
Speaker 1: I say you don't like it, I say, get a bigger pair of boots. So I think he's arguing about the Pandora's box, that this could like that. This leads to of like talking about eye for an eye in court and so basically, what are we doing here in court if everything can be solved that way? And this is the reason Barba is like one of the greatest of all time, the goat. He the jury comes back and car Is Boom Boom found guilty, and he looks scared as hell, like he's immediately like, oh God, how am I going to get my hormones for my dick in prison? And Evelyn is crying and leaning on Olivia, and justice feels like it has been served now. In a final scene, we're at Liv's house. She's reading a bedtime story to Noah. I feel like this might be this little Noah's first season when they made the jump from tiny Noah like toddler Noah to this Noah. And she's making cute jokes about, you know, the rabbits in the book ordering sushi, and then there's a knock at the door and she's like, did you invite someone over? And it's like all cute, and then Live goes to answer the door and boom, it is Brooke Shields, who happens to be one of Mrshca Hargetate's like best friends by the way, and she introduces herself and says, I'm Sheila Porter, Noah's grandmother, and Benson gets that face where she looks like she's about to barf, and that's dick wolf baby.
Speaker 4: And if you listen, if you follow the show, you know Sheila.
Speaker 1: Porter is going to have some upcoming Yeah, She's going to have some wild coming up shit.
Speaker 4: So that was the great episode.
Speaker 2: Thanks for taking us through it a lot of twists and turns, and listen to our commercials and we'll be right back. So this is a New York case and I really tried to avoid the New York Posts and other sources we don't respect, but I dabbled. They they do cover New York crimes a lot, so yeah, but very New York. So this case is about a teacher. This happened around twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, vibes and this episode's twenty seventeen, so I think it's pretty connected. So this man's name is Sean Shanack. He was a mathem physics teacher at the Brooklyn Technical High School in Fort Green, Brooklyn, and you know.
Speaker 1: He which is a great high school by the way, I think Brooklyn Tech is like a hard high school to get into and a good high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the most selective high schools in the city and like Deblasio's kid went there and stuff like that. Yeah, it's definitely educationally top notch math and science. So this guy, this little creep, he grew up on Long Island and one of his brothers played a character in the Showtime show Ray Donovan. And I don't know why the Times think that's like crucial information, but we are name droppers, so we do like that.
Speaker 4: We're definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never watched Ray Donovan, but Kate Menig is from it, like isn't it from Ald Outward?
Speaker 4: So that definitely entices me.
Speaker 1: No, my parents love Ray Donovan. I think I feel like Ray Donovan's like a parent's show, like it is. It's like I think it's mob stuff, right, Yeah, it's gonna cleaner up. It's like the guy who comes and cleans it. Who's the guy in pulp fiction, the bear or the wolf? You know what the fuck's is, Harvey Kaitel whatever, the cleaner upper.
Speaker 2: So he was forty four at the time of his arrest, very early in the school year of twenty fourteen, and at the time of the initial arrest, one of his former students tweeted, everyone knew this was coming, and that's how most like a lot of it very It's very Louis c. K who's now making the podcast Rounds. I don't know if you've noticed on your social media, but he is out there doing the pods right now.
Speaker 4: He's back.
Speaker 2: Wow, not that he ever actually left anywhere, but there's just more places.
Speaker 4: To not apologize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's just like chilling, hanging out, making jokes about like masturbation schedules like I yeah, and nobody should have been surprised. Like the student, everyone should have known because he was very He tried to act young with the students and he encouraged them to call him Sha Sha. So he wanted to be called shay Sheha at work, and he was adding people on Facebook, and he was known to use terms like for real z's and.
Speaker 4: Lol, he's like a totsmagoats dude. Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also photos leaked of him in the past from the school dressed as a sexy French maid. And also one year he wore a midriff bearing Britney Spears schoolgirl uniform and these photos of him were in the yearbook. So he was wearing like sexy drag to the school. So you know he would and being like call me, like, I just don't know how Anyone was like, yes, he is a respected teacher we should have at this top non school. So the time said he was considered cool because he wore jeans and had a Mini Cooper. Now I didn't know having a Mini You gotta be kidding me. I guess it was easier to be cool back in the day.
Speaker 1: This is like, wait, did I ever tell you about the boss I had who I like. I ended up hating him, but I worked for him really briefly. And he goes, I'm kind of a car guy and he drove a Pezza Cruiser. I was like, you cannot say you're a car guy and his guess what his license plate.
Speaker 4: On his PT cruiser side. You gotta just tell me red pill. Okay. PT cruisers were so ugly, so so ugly.
Speaker 2: Our friend Lane moved to Chicago with his mom's Pete Cruiser, but she she's a anti choice and so like the license plate ram was like a lot like little children playing, like little chalk children stuff, And so when our friends started dating him, she had to be like, we're changing this immediately. You cannot have this on your fucking car. But I remember our swim coach he got a Volkswagen Golf. But then he told us that his mom bought it for him, and We're like, you fucking loser. And now I'm like, yeah, that makes you were in your twenties, Like, of course your parents helped to get a car.
Speaker 4: You're like a part time swim coach. But we just were like, you loser. It's just funny that jeans and a Mini.
Speaker 1: Cooper are what got this guy cool status a teacher. That is really funny.
Speaker 2: So yeah, everyone just said he was like a teenager and a grown man's body. And before teaching, he never really followed through with anything and just jumped around from city to city, job to job, just flowing around until he decided to move back to New York and become a teacher.
Speaker 4: He's a girl dad.
Speaker 2: I know, it's shocking. Once you have a daughter, it's impossible to commit crimes. Yeah, his daughter was nine at the time of his rest. He was not with the mother of his child. They were separated, but he started dating her when he was a pilot for Express Jet. Like this guy isn't a full idiot, like he did become a pilot. He was a pilot, yeah, but then he left and then he didn't want to keep paying for his house. He let it get foreclosed. Like he just I'm not a very responsible person. So reading this was triggering to me. But he's not a responsible guy. It was just like, yeah, leave this woman, I don't want this job. I'm gonna stop paying for this house. Like that's kind of yeah. You know, he wears jeans, he's a hide So he was a pilot for ex Rest Jet and then he started dating this flight attendant while she was right out of high school. So right out of high school should be going a flight attendant. And then they had a child and like separated very very quickly. He would also wear his pilot uniform to school. To show off and like pose for picks with the students. So anyways, back to reality. So he was arrested for sending a nude photo of his genitals on Snapchat to a sixteen year old in June twenty fourteen. He actually was alerted that the student took a screenshot of his dick, and he then sent her two pictures of his face looking angry to implicate himself even more in the dick photom oh god. She told her parents about the photo, and her father reported it to the FBI, and I was like, why not the local precinct. He had a friend in the FBI, So he nepo babyed his way to the FBI, who then told him like, just let's go to the police. He was picked up in August twenty fourteen, and when he was arrested, he allegedly told police, fuck you, I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 4: And he was wrong. He did go somewhere, and he did, he was taken. He so not only this, like so the.
Speaker 2: Sixteen year old got the stick photo. He then, with investigation, faced an additional thirty six counts for years of sexual abuse against students age thirteen to nineteen. So seven girls over three years were assaulted by him, and that's what added.
Speaker 4: To the charges.
Speaker 2: He was charged with reckless endangerment, kidnapping, committing a criminal sexual act, and more.
Speaker 4: And these are some things he did.
Speaker 2: So he did take a fifteen year old to a nude beach, and then ABC seven News added without her parents' consent, and it's like, yeah, we assumed, we assumed the parents didn't sign a permission slip to go to this nude beach in Jersey.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's brought a teen to a sex club.
Speaker 2: He then raped an eighteen year old, but New York Magazine in quotes put it as performing a sexual act on an eighteen year old without consent, and it's like that's assault or abuse, rape, like you what like, it's such a long turnabout way of doing that. But basically what happened was he convinced one student to accompany him on to his subway stop and then to his home, and then in his apartment, he took his pants off, pulled out his dick, and then inserted it into the student's mouth. So that is the uugh, without a sex act without consent. He requested two minor girls engaged in sex with each other. After getting them so drunk on Jack Daniels and tequila to the point where one of them passed out, he grabbed a butt of a minor. He told students that they should, in quotes, put their hands on a teacher's thigh as advice then how to have sexual relationships with other teachers. He would hug students and press his pelvis against them. He also would like take students and bring them like lunch outside of school and go out to lunch. He manipulated a lot of the girls with alcohol, cigarettes, and good grades. One girl received perfect scores constantly and she didn't answer the questions like she wouldn't answer questions, and then had one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Oh my.
Speaker 2: So the two main groups of loyal students that he had were smokers and children in his aerospace classes, which is hysterical to me. So it's like, hah, the nerds and the smokers. He knew how to use them, either with grades or with nicotine. One former student said to The New York Times that he had long seemed to be in a quote spiral of loneliness, and they continued maybe with these students who looked up to him, who cares about and who cared for him. He found what he was looking for, but he went about it inappropriately. Cool student, I don't know, nice quote. He also had a history of problems dating back like before these crimes. So on October third, two thousand and five, he attacked an eleven year old neighbor named Devonte Watson. He was just like eleven year old kid, rough housing on the block, throwing rocks, and one rock h at his house, and the family said to the Times, even though he apologized, it was just kind of fucked up. He took this eleven year old, beat him and threw him to the ground, and the boy went to the hospital. The Watson family was granted a restraining order for six months, but he was not convicted and the charges were later expunged. But Davante, who's now at age twenty, he said, yeah, I feel like somebody who would do that to an eleven year old should not have become a teacher.
Speaker 1: And I thank you, Davante, thank you, how thank you? Uh missus Traeger. How you do one thing is how you do everything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but especially beating a child like that, it's just so crazy. I can't believe he didn't get like convicted, was there not was it like his word against the kid's word, or like, I don't assuming there's.
Speaker 4: Probably some race stuff happening there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, so we don't really know how it would be handled in any other.
Speaker 1: Kind of I mean, he might not have gotten jail time, but it would have at least gone on his record, and then he wouldn't have been able to teach.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was also disciplined for raiding a student in twenty twelve, and then he would go to high school parties and this is a thing like this isn't funny, but he said he only went to the parties because he wanted to listen to new music. Like my god, I just kind of like love the delusion. There's just something about this whole case in him as a human that's.
Speaker 1: Like, what and this is all happening early two thousands, like you would say over seven years. I guess you would say it was like two thousand and like seven until twenty fourteen kind of area.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, It's like like in all the stuff that's here is just like I could almost see teachers doing some of this stuff in like the seventies, but not like now.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, but like the hug like, you know, it's the thing.
Speaker 2: The hugging and the garden students probably felt like they were special or like can I tell someone or is this normal? Like it's so hard to be sure of yourself as a teen, even as an adult, it's hard to like be sure of yourself. I mean that guy who like kissed me on my neck out of nowhere, and I'm like a very capable, aggressive person and in that moment, I was like, what the fuck do I do? You know? And so, you know, with teens, it's like I can't imagine having to deal with all this in your brain. But yeah, so he smoked cigarettes with all the kids outside and then after the rest they you know, a search warrant was issued and they seize three computers on two phones, and they found hundreds of photos and videos and about ten thousand text messages he exchanged with a fifteen year old Shane. Ak's defense was that the student was working on a project with him. I mean he's like Casey Anthony lying, you know what I mean, It's like you've been caught and they just cannot stop lying. And they also find they also did find a video of him having sex with a teenager raping a teenager. Oh, the language of all of the news about this is so fucked, like you can't write that, like, yeah, he also had sex with two girls once they reached seventeen, which is the legal age of consent. So he timed everything very carefully, like group groom come up and so they're legal. And that's why the whole thing with Delia and anyone that's like loves to play with the legality of like, well, she was consent, and it's like if you're chasing consent like a surfer chasing a wave, like you're you're a pedophile.
Speaker 4: Bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So he was facing up to twenty five years in prison if convicted. At first, he pled not guilty and remained in jail and was held on a one million dollar bond or like six hundred grand in cash. I don't know why I wrote that detail, but you know, I think fair. Of course, the school and many students were split because some people were like, he's smart and cool man, he's such a great teacher, and.
Speaker 4: Then a bunch of them are like, oh, yeah, he's a creep.
Speaker 2: One student even set her their mother up with mister Shanak and wanted him to be their father and adopted a free Shanak as their mantra online and still believes that he is innocent. So for real, zaes Ye, so many students just like felt very close with him because he walked and talked them and they felt supported by him, and it was all a very great cover to all of his abuse. He did not speak in court at all except to say yes, and then he ended up taking a plea deal. So he took a plea for the serious charges of second degree kidnapping, which is a class B felony, for transporting a fifteen year old student across state lines while taking her to that nude beach. He also pled guilty to disseminating indecent material to a minor, endangering the welfare of a child, and official misconduct. The guilty please did spare the young victims from having to testify publicly. Because I was like reading a bunch of the comments on some shit I was reading, I was like, five years, what the fuck the system is fucked. I'm like, the system is fucked, but like that's what happens when you please. It's like for these young students not having to go public when La so with the plea. He was sentenced to five years in prison and five years of post release supervision and is now a violent predicate felon who must register as a sex offender and will never be allowed to teach again. Obviously, I'm happy with the deal because there was an end date in his head and he was like happy he would get to see his daughter. I don't know if he still has a relationship with his daughter or not.
Speaker 4: I hope no. So I couldn't find where he was.
Speaker 2: I couldn't find anything, and then I go, oh, he's on the sexual registry. I'll look his ass up. Oh, I looked his ass up on the sexual registry. It's home fax dot com, slash offender details and his last known address, unfortunately, is in La nine zero zero two seven ZIP.
Speaker 4: So, oh my god, I don't know if he's that far from us. That's not that far. Where is that now?
Speaker 2: Casey is looking it up, but I don't think it's that far. He looks the same, but with like a little gray hair, and he's smiling, and he's just like Glendale, baby, It's Glendale. So he is in Glendale. Last known address Glendale. It's either Glendale or it could be Los Felis or Tye Town. I knew it was Los Felis as soon as I heard it.
Speaker 1: I was like, I've written that that zip out for Christmas cards because I have friends that live in Los Felis, as I'm sure you do, and I don't remember it. Actually, it's actually not Glendale. It's literally Los Felis or Tietown or Little Armenia. Wow, that's a nice neighborhood. Those are nice neighborhoods.
Speaker 4: So but I don't know what he's doing for work.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything, but who knows. I forgot that the registry is a source. Yeah, good job, because yeah, I just couldn't. I didn't find a LinkedIn under that name, but there was no photos or infos, so like, maybe that's a different one, you know, or maybe he does have a LinkedIn.
Speaker 4: Don't hire him.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't think that LinkedIn would be a great place to be if you're a sex offender. Hopefully there's not anybody that has the name Sean Shane akhen is trying to get a nice job out of college. Anyway, Thank you for telling me about that, Lisa.
Speaker 4: I truly.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a you know, I'm I'm a free newspaper queen. And I lived in New York at this time of the rest, and I don't think I knew anything about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really like the articles were really centered around, like just the times where it happened, and it seemed like it was a quick pleadale.
Speaker 4: It seems quick. It seemed like a really quick case, I think.
Speaker 2: And if it was in uh maybe not this prestigious of a high school, I wonder what the attention would be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who knows. Totally.
Speaker 1: It's a good I mean, I had kids from Camp that went there. It's a great high school. All right, don't go anywhere. We've got a great guest. Okay, today's guest, you guys, is the definition of booked and blessed baby. She has recently been seen on Chicago p D, Chicago Med Swat, and has a recurring role on FBI Plus. She even acted alongside one Christopher Maloney on Law and Order Organized Crime. But in the SVU universe, you know her as the conk shell smashing Evelyn. Guys, enjoy the chat that we enjoyed with Kathleen Monroe.
Speaker 2: Have you always been fashion icons as that through your age, Like what what is your fashion journey?
Speaker 6: No, I love that. I love this question. Thank you so much. I do you know what I try? And this is like also supported by the.
Speaker 7: Energy of my wife who kind of lives her life this way. But like we don't buy anything new really, so like it just means that everything that kind of like every almost everything I say, like ninety five percent of what I have in my closet is like pre owned from a market or something or from a you know, like a some kind of consignment shop or you store or whatever. So it just feels like like I feel really comfortable when I.
Speaker 6: Don't have the same stuff as everybody else. So everything feels like a like it finds me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a story to it all. And how is the wardrobe on SVU just seamless transition?
Speaker 6: Oh man?
Speaker 7: I mean I remember when they they when I got there and uh we started the fitting and I was like, oh, she's a bad girl, like she's a bad Like yeah, I remember they had like earcuffs and like little like extra piercing things, and I don't know, I mean, it's cool when when that happens, because it just does so much of the acting work for you, like, you know, it just it kind of like announces character in this way.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I got what they were doing with the with the word.
Speaker 7: They also remember the hair stylist wanted it to look like I had an undercut, so she just braided the sides.
Speaker 4: Of my Yeah, I noticed the braid.
Speaker 1: I noticed the braids because I remember being like, I know that hair and wardrobe did that, But how does a regular girl wake up and just go I'm just gonna like do super tight braids in my Like it looks so difficult.
Speaker 7: Got nothing going on in my life at that point, So may as we'll spend four and a half hours making it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just giving myself like, yeah, what do you call like cornrows am on the side?
Speaker 4: Yeah, wait, what about the tattoos?
Speaker 6: Tattoos?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: Did they add? I have a few tattoos, And I did watch the episode again and I'm trying to remember it they added I.
Speaker 2: Think they're like some risk stuff you had that some pieces.
Speaker 6: Yeah those were added.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but she definitely was like an adult like goth punk.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, which like you know, I I was, you know, I came of age in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 6: I that wasn't so far from my heart.
Speaker 2: I got it, And did you know you booked it in the room. How was the audition? How did you react when you got it?
Speaker 7: Okay, this what a wild thing is I did not audition for this part. Yeah, which is like I know, like this is a rarity that this happens in my life.
Speaker 6: And it was. It was really funny because I had I think I had.
Speaker 7: Auditioned right to the end against Sophia Bush for Chicago PD. Oh and yeah, and she obviously, I mean what you know, like she's going to get that and she was fabulous. And but Jonathan Strauss, who's the casting director who's incredible, does all the dick Wolf stuff and it's just like a real loyal guy, it turns out.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and just just called me.
Speaker 7: He actually, yeah, I actually got a call for something else and I don't remember what it was in the dick Wolf world, but it wasn't a su But before the SVU call, something else came up, and I had, like I never get you know, offers are very rare, right, like this was a very a very nice thing that they were even thinking of me, that they remembered me at all, and I had just I had just done a series of like real heavy victim parts like like got like brutalized in like show after show after show for like a little stretch of time.
Speaker 6: There, and I was like, I remember talking to my agent.
Speaker 7: I was like, I don't know if I can do another one off trauma show, like I think I playing like a victim. And something came up in that realm from the like dick Wolf people, right as I had said like I just need a break from like dying and getting like beaten, and so something came up and I was like, I remember talking it through with my agent and I was like, I don't know, I just I think I need just like a break from playing a victim.
Speaker 6: So I said no to something, which again like I have.
Speaker 7: No right doing it ever in my career, but it just felt really like the right thing to do for where I was at. And I was like, well, they're probably never going to call me back now, And then the next week they called me back and they're like, Okay, do you want to go honest with you and play the girl who cuts off.
Speaker 6: The guy's balls? And I was like, oh yeah, so yeah, it was like kind of out of nowhere, and I was beside myself. I was so so excited.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Now, what about like you were facing off with some of the big ones. You were with me, you were with Peter Scanavino, a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of wild You had one on ones with Kelly Giddish, Mrshca Carte and Peter Scanavino, full one on ones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, oh it was. It was incredible and they were all, uh, they were all really lovely.
Speaker 7: I remember everyone as like, as you know, at this point, like the level of sensitivity on that set is really high, so everyone was like really really lovely. I remember like Marishka just being kind of like like just this supportive presence, you know. She and she was like one thing I remember she did too on I think it was our last day was with the girls, the other girls, and I just thought it was such.
Speaker 6: A sweet thing that she did.
Speaker 7: Like we'd been kind of chatting and stuff, and she was like very very generous with her like conversation even on set, like just you know, just just sweet. And she suggested like at the end that we all take a photo together, and like definitely we were all prior to that like being like can we.
Speaker 6: Get a photo with her? What are we gonna do around here?
Speaker 7: And it's just like that's the coolest thing that she uh yeah, just like offered and stepped done and was yeah adult but like crying into her bosom. You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like people of a certain level like that will do that, Like Andy Cohen did that to me, and it's a Lisa when we were just gona watch what happens, Like he came up, He's like, let's get a photo and I was like, well, thank god because I was obviously gonna ask for one.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: It's such a generosity, like it's so cool. It's so cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but they were all great, like Kelly I remember being really great.
Speaker 6: And uh and Peter as well. That scene.
Speaker 7: I remember he was like very just like sensitive and seemed kind of like emotionally invested like he was. He was really like right there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was good. We didn't do it too many times, like he was like really just just on and sweetheart.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's how we hear that. It's like really fun paste on there.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you, but you've done so much other like procedural and Dick Wolf stuff. I feel like just looking at your resume, I mean Chicago p D, FBI and then the NCIS CS.
Speaker 4: I like, do you have a favorite squad?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Man, I mean to what, like I like watching a S for you like that was like it was such an unbelievable treat to get to be on that set because that's that's the one that I watched most of. I really loved FBI, like I did. I went in for one episode of FBI and then ended up just like staying for a while. And uh, and they're just there's They're like a nice, nice group over there. Jeremy Sisto love them Alta, Like everybody.
Speaker 6: There is just like just lovely. And that was just the one that I spent the most time with. So they they have a really special place in my heart.
Speaker 7: And I just got off Guys tomorrow my first episode of Organized Crime errors, which I just did.
Speaker 1: A wait, I watch like religiously. I'm like really into organized crime. So are you allowed to say what you're playing or you can't?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 7: I I actually don't know, but I mean you're probably it'll it'll have it'll air like it's airing literally tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I think, oh it's airing tomorrow. Sorry, I thought maybe you were shooting it tomorrow.
Speaker 6: No, sorry, no, so I've done.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm excited to watch.
Speaker 6: You thinks I'm excited to see it.
Speaker 7: It's a i mean, unlike such a Stabler head that I was like by the time I got to Sbu, he was gone, love Kelly, like you know, there's no shortage of love there.
Speaker 6: But it was so exciting to get to go into his little world for a minute.
Speaker 7: And yeah, and so I play as I play someone from the DA's office, who's.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're on the lass side. Yeah, you're on the side, the order side.
Speaker 7: Totally totally, and we kind of team up to to try to figure something out.
Speaker 6: And I think that's kind of may came.
Speaker 4: Up with Sabler.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really was it.
Speaker 2: He is intense, intense actor, Like he loves to stretch. So how was that Yeah as a partner.
Speaker 7: Okay, so moment one he has his leg full like extended on the counter full stretch.
Speaker 6: And it was, I mean, it was a joy.
Speaker 7: Like he's he's for sure intense and and definitely has like a stake in how.
Speaker 6: The show goes.
Speaker 7: So he's really vocal about like what he wants and it's kind of like it's an assuring energy, like to come in and be like okay, like there, you know. We had I worked with two directors so far, Test Malone and and Brenda Maloy, and they were both fantastic too.
Speaker 6: But he was He's really like, uh, he really kind of comes in helps to steer that ship. It went really well. I really loved it.
Speaker 7: I had a uh maybe the worst probably I felt like the worst first impression I've ever had in twenty years of work on that show, because basically I got called to go to see if I wanted to do it, like quite late at night on Tuesday, flew Wednesday, started work Thursday. It was really really tight and somewhere in the shuffle I didn't see a scripture vision so started the scene and it had changed, so it was like three new pages of dialogue that I'd never seen. Oh no, and just have never felt like like such a kind of amateur in my entire life.
Speaker 6: But it was fine, Like we got through it.
Speaker 7: He was like game to just kind of sit and run it with me a few times before we before we got it on his feet and think heavens above that like that was the vibe because it was true, like, you know, just really felt like.
Speaker 2: And what do you do?
Speaker 4: Three pages of dialogue is not like are you quick at memorized? Like how does that? What's the troubleshoot? After that?
Speaker 7: I just clunked along until I got it. I don't know, I don't know, like by the by the grace of the no dick Wolf.
Speaker 2: God, that is like the actor's nightmare is like, you know, you're on stage and you forgot your lines or whatever, but this is like not really your fault, because it was.
Speaker 7: Like I just literally had the nightmare like I have had the nightmare of being you know, at work and then being thrown into something that I've never seen before. And I was like, well, I'm familiar with this feeling from the depths and here we are conscious, but but you know, we recovered and it was good, and then yeah, I came back and did another one, and I mean it's it's like it just looking into his face and eyes is like, uh, it's a trip because if you.
Speaker 6: Know, wow, I mean like I love him from wet, hot American summer days.
Speaker 1: And yeah, same same, you know, I love that you confirmed the immediate stretching You're not going to catch Christopher Maloney pulling a muscle that is.
Speaker 4: No damn no raam So can I swing to ask vu? To ask you a question?
Speaker 1: I need to know pretty much everything about when you slam that shell exactly because that I remember when I watched that, because I rewatched it obviously to talk to you, but I've watched it when it came on a couple of years ago and was like, what is happening to her hand?
Speaker 4: Like it just felt like there were like shards of shell on, like what how did they do it? How did you do it?
Speaker 7: They had like about six shells that it's an amazing crew over there. They made these like like squishy rubber shells and so they molded the one like the real shell into this squishy rubber and.
Speaker 6: Then that's what I was slamming down.
Speaker 7: So it felt like safe but also really anticlimactic because it was just like a chew toy almost like so it was just like using that prop over and over. And then they had a couple that were made to break, and I feel like the first one wouldn't break, and then we got one that did that would shatter kind of like a candy glass thing.
Speaker 6: But yeah, it was it was almost like.
Speaker 4: A sugar glass.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh cool, because you know the famous what is it and Django Leonardo DiCaprio really cut his hand ad that he kept going and it was his real blood and they used it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but sugar blood yt Yeah, yeah, definitely, I am basically Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 6: It's in terms of like skilled, you know, and uh no, I think they I think it was all fake. That was all fake blood. They that was pure you know TV.
Speaker 4: Wow, Well because I loved it. What I'm thinking?
Speaker 2: So you got one on ones with all of these people, precinct scenes, and then to take the stand. You really had such a especially if someone that watches the show, you really got to experience a full episode and all its glory.
Speaker 6: Totally.
Speaker 7: It felt like like I remember just being so so psyched to see all of those sets and like to be yeah, to like be on this stand. Yeah, like it felt it just it was like, oh, this is the whole this is the whole show, Like I don't that stuff never is was old like it's so it was exciting and.
Speaker 1: You got to say the name of the episode another that's another track on our Bingo cars. So we do for people you get to have like a courtroom breakdown, a being like, you know, an interrogation, say the name of the episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so you bingo baby.
Speaker 2: So, as a watcher, are there episodes that like haunt you or stick with you or like favorites, like when you're in a hotel you're like, oh, great, this one's on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I think my favorite is one that I think you're doing live soon and it's Beef.
Speaker 4: Like it just it just did it.
Speaker 7: I mean it's the Yeah, it's probably the most referenced, like Gigabytes of girls, butts is probably like the most referenced.
Speaker 6: F line in my life when it comes to spu.
Speaker 4: Man, Like what like that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's for sure a favorite? Uh what else?
Speaker 7: Margaret Chow's episode was great, Like I just love her so much. It's fun to see like when people people pop up in it and yeah, god, I don't know, yeah, there's there's there's there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Mark Well, as a Faniel love this. So Margaret show was our first live show. She was a guest in Austin and we do like would you rather it's at the end of her shows and we asked her who would you rather get high with, you know, a Finn or Munch And she went, I've gotten high with both of them. This game is like irrelevant to me. And we were like, oh my god, how do you get cooler every passing moment?
Speaker 6: Right? Because she I remember her on your sho didn't Did you have some story about like Lisa vanderbum on you like.
Speaker 1: Say, she holds she held Jiggy and then and then Jiggy like die the next day?
Speaker 6: Oh god, it's just legend. My goodness.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything coming up that you're excited about? Like I saw on your IMTV something about like City on Fire or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I have this show that I'm on that's coming out in uh in May, May twelve on Apple Plus.
Speaker 6: And it's called City and Virus.
Speaker 7: Really fun, like created by the people who created the OC, like very like juicy drama, really really fun nostalgia too. It's in in two thousand and three, so it's like it really kind of makes me feel tender for that time. And it said new York. We shot New York. It was really really fun. It's a great cast, and uh it's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it will be on in May. It's really fun. And it's so cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, sitting on fire may Apple, Yeah, you're so in the Dick Wolf universe.
Speaker 4: It's amazing. It's a damp of approval on your.
Speaker 7: Sil I feel so I feel so grateful to them, like Jathan Jonathan Strauss honestly, but like the it's been maybe four or five times that out of nowhere, something just comes up and I.
Speaker 6: Get to go and do one of these shows and it feels like it feel you know what it feels like like when I was a kid.
Speaker 7: I I would watch a lot of Order when I was home from school sick. It would play all day on this one channel in Canada, and so it felt like, you know, like my like take with the caregiver when I was sick was Law and Order, like the Jerry or Bock days and stuff, and so it was like what I imagined acting to be. It was like, Oh, these people get to go, you know, like like the walk down the street and the you know, the all the stuff in the courtroom.
Speaker 6: Like it just felt like when I was a little kid imagining what it was like to be an actor.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, you're like you're a police guy or you're like a Bagy on these shows or whatever, and so yeah, every time it just feels like doing a thing that I imagine doing and it's uh, yeah, it's a fun times.
Speaker 6: It's an iconic TV world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you don't want to be in the Dick Wolf universe. It's a blessing. It's a blessing. A blessing. Absolutely, there's so many properties. They could just keep moving you around to do with things you could be working there. It's like, uh, it's like Lisa and the comedy clubs, you know, they're all Bucaner.
Speaker 6: We love to hear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is amazing. Thank you so much. Yeah, thank you for taking the time to talk to us.
Speaker 6: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Anymore, like tidbits, did anything funny, Yeah, like craft services or like any other little funny stories from when you were on SVU.
Speaker 7: Okay, this was this was kind of I thought this was just like really sweets. Mishka was like at one point where were chatting in a group about like kind of you know, like what our lives are like, and I mentioned, you know, she asked if I was married. I mentioned someone I was seeing and and she was like, oh, oh, like realize that I'm I'm queer. And she was like, you know, it's so funny, like like it seems like lesbian's really really liked me.
Speaker 6: I don't know why, Like I don't know.
Speaker 4: What I do that.
Speaker 6: And I was like, i'll tell you. But she was something.
Speaker 4: She was like, I don't know why. I was like, I've never seen a mirror before.
Speaker 6: I just don't know, never watched the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the hottest woman alive.
Speaker 2: But also it's like caring, Yeah, caring, but like tough, like in a blazer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got it, all of it.
Speaker 6: And she and she was just like, but I love it, Like I just think it's so it's so cool, like they're so nice to me.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, a great community to have your back.
Speaker 6: Also, yeah, we're there, we're there.
Speaker 2: Well you've seen the episode where Kathy Griffin plays a lesbian who kisses Benson.
Speaker 6: Yes, iconic, iconic, I got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a great tidbit. I'm glad we got is so cool. That is the best.
Speaker 1: Like I mean, honestly, our listeners are going to die because that is they may I would say a lot of them are in that demo of the Loving Great Lesbians.
Speaker 2: Well, since you've met them all. I guess, should we do a fun game of fuck Mary kill? You don't have to kill anybody?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure?
Speaker 4: Do we cut out?
Speaker 2: I guess we'll do Benson Stabler, and then you could pick between Rollins and Creasy.
Speaker 4: I guess. I don't know.
Speaker 7: You throw Kreesy in the mix, though, it's like the fuck becomes tough.
Speaker 6: Because it was gonna be like I mean, because it's like, oh, he's a he's something, he's spicy, another one.
Speaker 4: I'll be fuck Mary kill and share a meal?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, share a meal. I'm gonna go Benson.
Speaker 7: I mean as much as that's a maybe no wait, I'm sorry, Mary Benson, Mary Benson, I'm gonna say, uh.
Speaker 6: Fuck stay meal with okay, yeah, meal with uh meal with with Ralins not But I don't want to kill Coresy. I don't know, guys, it's too hard.
Speaker 4: I don't have to kill. Maybe Coreas' is like go make out.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a meal it's making I don't kill make make out with Careasey.
Speaker 4: Yeah that I feel like we don't feel comfortable playing that with money.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 6: Listen, I'm glad I invited it.
Speaker 4: Well, you you are an actor you know, some actors are actors.
Speaker 6: Right, not me.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, Kathy, Thank you so much for taking the time the po.
Speaker 6: I love the pod.
Speaker 7: I love the pod and the show, and I just think you're You're both so wonderful and funny and delightful and your recaps like it feels like I'm, you know, sitting with a pal just listening to the best stories.
Speaker 4: I can't believe. Yeah, well Bury the lead that you like the pod till the very end.
Speaker 2: Way, are there any questions we haven't asked that you were, Like I thought they would ask me this.
Speaker 7: Oh no, because you did mention craft service. Like I was like, are they going to ask about like a craft service?
Speaker 4: Do you to call it your favorite craft service? Now, well, I did know that you're.
Speaker 7: Now that I mentioned that, Like, I didn't come up with a great answer, but I think sometimes you get a Christmas sandwich on craft like craft service, and they make it it's like a like a chicken and cranberry sauce sandwich that I.
Speaker 6: Only have ever had a craft service.
Speaker 7: Trucks and candy and the crime of the pandemic for me anyway, the worst thing about the COVID pandemic. But the worst thing was honestly that you have to now when you get craft services, you can't like root around in this stuff and like yeah put like seven like sour Patch kids packets in your pocket without shame.
Speaker 6: Like now you have to just like ask the person for whatever you want.
Speaker 1: And I do know it really it really cuts down on binging really, like I'm always like I can't just take a bunch of rice Chrispy Trees. Now, I'm like one rice Chrispy Tree please, like a regular person.
Speaker 6: I'll take one and six for my ten for my fins. But it's a yeah, yeah, the candy. I read the candy all.
Speaker 2: Right, candy is perfect, not messy, gives you a little rus sandwich.
Speaker 1: Well, Thanksgiving sandwich. I always think of it too, like all the things from the little Holidays. She's Canada sandwich. Are you Canada?
Speaker 6: Right in Canada? And I bet that's what I mean. We do have Thanksgiving, but it's not as a you know, dominant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I can't believe you. Listen, that's like.
Speaker 6: You kind of have a big pod. You got a bit You're like, you're not you're you're not a tiny deal here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm I'm just so so delighted to be here and I can't wait to watch I might maybe I'll start watching the OC because I want to.
Speaker 1: I have it on DVR, so if I come over on Friday, we'll watch Kathleen's episode.
Speaker 4: Only that's what.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we're gonna do. We're gonna get high on Friday's Friday.
Speaker 6: We're getting amazing, amazing.
Speaker 7: The one little tiny tidbit I'll leave you with too, with Organized Crime is that the most fun thing about it is that I had to google how to carry a motorcycle helmet because my character, we do not see a bike, but she carries a helmet wherever she goes. Oh yeah, just a lot of polling people I know who I've ever seen anywhere near a motorcycle asking them like do.
Speaker 6: I hold it like a baby? Do I hold it in my one hand?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Do I hip it like under one arm?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: What is the answer? That's a great wow? What the internet say?
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, a different thing than the director at Tess Malone, who when I came in with what I had from you know, my research, which was one hand casual, like it's not even there.
Speaker 6: She was like, I ride a bike. I slipped my hand through the chin strap and let it dangle in the elbow and I did that. Wow, you know, we're going to see it, guys, We'll see if it works. Tune in tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Check our stories. We're gonna have a story up that's like this didn't track for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just kidding.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be amazing. Wow. She is fun. It was very fun. And I mean the fact that she's a listener made this even more sweet. I for a little please please, I turned red. So after we talked to her.
Speaker 2: Just a few days later, I did go to a bagel hang and I provided the bagels. I went to Bells, but it was a bagel hang at our friend Robbie's apartment, which is gorgeous and it overlooks the Fountain, the Echo Park, Fountain Lake, you know what I mean. It was just it was one of those days where I was like, wow, I'm an adult. Look at all these spreads. There was caviare you know. I was like, look at this whitefish, little cut up berries. I mean, it was really like, I, you know, frecks. When she was at our New York show, kept I loved her outfit. She kept going, this is my final form. This is my final form.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 2: That's how I felt that the bagel hang like the sun was shining. The convo was nice, everyone looked cute, and I was like, this is final form. Yeah, this is how I would like to be living for my future. But hopefully one day I can host and not live in. I don't know a pig sty.
Speaker 4: You will. It's not a pig sty. It's just small.
Speaker 2: I know it's a nightmare. I need to get out of here. I'm truly having existential nightmares. But I'm just gonna I'm gonna try to be patient. I'm gonna be patient.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I'm happy to go apartment hunting with you. We can find you something else.
Speaker 2: Well, no, if i'm leaving, I'm out of here. I'm out of LA. So it's like I'm staying in this hell hole room or I'm out of here. You can empty my garage as I fucking leave. That's what's gonna happen. You can donate the art. Okay, now we should talk about this. Teachers, leave your kids alone. Pink Floyd was right this whole time. Leave them alone, Leave those kids alone alone. Yeah, I mean obviously. Like also, if you're a young girl, that's like, Ooh, this old man, I'm special.
Speaker 4: You're not special. He's a pervert.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, that's I mean, that's why I really don't like a lot of media that like glorifies like the sexy relationship between teachers and students or whatever, you know, like that show a Teacher came out on Hulu, which a lot of people corrected me and said, actually that really shows both sides, like what it psychologically did to the boy.
Speaker 4: But blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think in the past media has really like sensationalized, like the hot for teacher thing and all that. So it's definitely fucked up. And you just this was a great episode in terms of just showing all of the various outcomes, like one girl can't be with anybody because she doesn't trust, but another girl is only with bad guys, and then you know, Evelyn's got her own shit going on. So it feels like it just shows you how many different like paths can lead out from like an abusive relationship.
Speaker 2: And we always talk about like we all judge the symptoms, but not what caused all these behaviors.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, why don't you have your life together? And it's like, I don't know, because my teacher rape me. How about that?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like we are so quick to judge people and their choices when they didn't really have much of a choice because they were surrounded by predators.
Speaker 4: Yeah uh.
Speaker 2: And if a teacher is just rubbing your shoulders, tell on that person, like you know, because a lot of this stuff in the real life case and even we've talked about it before where it's like, oh, yeah, that teacher was touchy, or that teacher had after school or that teacher did that, and it's like, you know, we're taught to be like, what, it's not that big of a deal should this person lose their job for a shoulder rub?
Speaker 4: And it's like that's where it starts. It's never just a shoulder rub, yeah, yeah, for sure, or like alert, yeah, you hear about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like we've heard about like predators in the comedy world forever, and it's like nobody really says anything until like, you know, something really bad happens or someone else or like an actual victim comes forward.
Speaker 4: Well, and then people are still making jokes.
Speaker 2: I mean we there's one comic everyone talks about out loud in person on social media and nobody cares. People make jokes about it, and it's like, yeah, he's truly an abuser from But the thing is comedians like will excuse full on Bill Cosby rapists, so like, of course they're gonna also excuse for people that are harassing the waitresses too, you know what I mean. It's like they don't care about the hardcore rape, how are they going to care about the touching rapes?
Speaker 4: Right right right? But I just there, God, I just hate so many people.
Speaker 2: But I said this saying this is the thing of like you don't know what people are going through in terms of like decisions. Someone reposted my rules Clark Jones did about Amy Sedaris. It's like from a magazine and it's all her little rules and they're really cute. But one of them is assume everyone is grieving, and I like, yeah, just never know what anybody is going through on a day to day. So true, not all of them are you know that wild, Some are, some are some are some are cute, like learn how to properly mail a box.
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed with Amy Sidaris. I'll send you this ones, Yes, send me.
Speaker 1: I had an article an interview with her posted up in my kitchen all the whole time I lived in New York because one of them was like they asked her a question like would you rather wear pantyhose all the time or constantly have the sound of flip flops following you?
Speaker 2: And I think she chose the flip flops. I am too, because that you could get used to. Yeah, just those are my flip flops that follow me. Well, I don't want to be in tights. I'm just thinking about summer in LA and I don't want it. I don't want it one bit. But somemer don't just order a martini, be specific faka jin straight rock, solim a twist.
Speaker 4: It's cute. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, also I like this find a new ice breaker and not everyone wants to answer what do you do or what are you working on? Assume maybe they don't do anything and aren't working And I like, well, we love to say, like, what are you watching on TV?
Speaker 6: Right now?
Speaker 1: Because we both love TV. We ask people a lot of TV questions. Are you are you into Bravo?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Are you a Bravo head? But when I see people we need them.
Speaker 2: There needs to be a word like Mariah Carey the Lambs, like who are the Bravo head?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: We need a fun little word. But sometimes I do tell people instead of like what do you do?
Speaker 2: I go what do you do for money? Because then it's more specific. Oh yeah, because even if you yeah, yeah, I like to do yes. I don't know if that's too inappropriate, but that's.
Speaker 1: Why when I lived in Italy, they were like Americans always ask people what do you do for work?
Speaker 4: No one ever asks that here, Like no, so what do they ask there?
Speaker 2: That's so because here that's what I found out in Finland like here in the States, like our value is our job, Like you are nothing outside of your job, and people decide how they're going to treat you depending on your job. Yeah, and so that's why maybe they don't ask unless capitalists driven nations, Yeah, what do people do?
Speaker 4: In Italy? What are you eating? What pasta shape did you eat?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, they're definitely like like where are you from? Oh, like places you've traveled? Like just different questions that are not like I remember being like what do you do? And they'd be like what do you mean?
Speaker 7: What do I do.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, for work, can they be like, I mean, I'm a cop, but who cares? Like, Like, you know, I had two friends that were cops there, but different kinds of cops. And I don't think their cops kill people there because they're very chill. My friend that was a cop took six weeks off of work because he had a fever quote unquote. But you know, it's a good time over there. No one's talking about work and no one's really doing any But I think also their economies in crisis.
Speaker 4: So who's to say. Let's get into what would Sister PEG do.
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we give you guys an article, a podcast, an organization to flesh out a little bit more of what we talked about on the episode today. And I wanted to point you guys to an article today at the Innocent Lives Foundation's website called sexual Misconduct in the Classroom Everything you need to know, And it's just a lot of information about the types of environments that create abuse in the classroom, how a predator operates, how to prevent abuse from happening in the future. So if you have, like you know, kids or you're young and you're you're still in a classroom, check it out and just like, have your ears perked up, f an eyes perked up for abusers because we literally when I was looking for what would Sister Peg do, I was like googling resources for this, and it was like just article after article of teachers getting busted having sex with students or raping students, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like it was horrible.
Speaker 1: So I was like, this is obviously an ongoing problem. So there are also resources for victims who have been abused by an educator. So if that's something that's touched your life, there's resources there for you, So go do www dot Innocentlivesfoundation dot org or the then link to the actual article is going to be in our show notes and on our as always in our Instagram stories and the highlighted WWSPD highlight.
Speaker 4: That's I was perfect. We're doing a lot on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Follow us also wherever you pod, you know, give us a little star, give us a little review, how you're obsessed with us? Also next week join us as we'll be doing Turn Me On, Take Me Private, another Warren Light masterpiece, The Fucking Psycho. No, we would love worn light on the podcast. But do you think we'll attack him. I think we're gonna ask about it, but not in a chill way, right, We're gonna be like, you understand some of them, we're fucking dumb. Correct. I bet he's playing wordle every day. Jared always makes fun of in the year we All fell Down? He's like, what is that title? So yeah, next week is turn Me On, Take Me Private, Season twenty two, episode five.
Speaker 4: So join us in all in all your streaming and stick glories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and come see us live. That's messed Up live dot com and we'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 4: Bye. That's messed Up as an exactly right part.
Speaker 2: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's messed uppod at gmail dot com. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 4: At glitter Cheese.
Speaker 2: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our producer Kac O'Brien and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker, Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Star, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media
Speaker 2: Dot The dun