Speaker 1: Hey, it's Sam with a quick little show announcement. As you may know, I've been running my hour trying to really figure it out, and so I've been doing it in New York and LA and all those dates have sold out, so I've just had to add one more New York date and one more LA date. So in New York I'll be at Union Hall on May third, that's a Sunday, and then in LA I will be at Lyric Hyperion on May fourteenth, that's a Thursday. So I would simply love to see you there. I've been really having a good time doing this and I appreciate you guys coming out and make me not like a fucking idiot. Okay, enjoy the episode. Bye. Podcast starts now. Wow Wow Wow, we are coming at you from New York City once again. I feel absolutely amazing. George, how are you.
Speaker 2: I'm realizing I'm sitting in a different chair than I usually like, I'm sitting on the right and you're sitting on the left, and it's sort of like when a couple decides to mix things up by switching places.
Speaker 1: On the bed. Wow role playing.
Speaker 2: I'm not used to turning to my left to see you really. Yeah, yeah, I don't like it. That's interesting. Are you feeling more powerful?
Speaker 1: I'm feeling like I don't believe you really, but yeah, there's a part of me that's like, do I not sit here always? And you're right, of course, thank you, but I personally internally don't believe you.
Speaker 2: I think. So there's one chair where you're sitting that has table space for your drinks and my chair doesn't. And I'm actually, if you can tell, my drinks are in my kind of nestled in my crotch because I have nowhere to put them. And I think that is already putting me in kind of the inferior position. And you're right, and I'm already making myself smaller and kind of you know, pre I'm kind of like, okay, like you can take charge today.
Speaker 1: Oh wo daddy. Well, well, you know when I sit in that see, I do put the drinks on the floor and I do reach for them, and it does work. It's not as easy, but okay, cool, thanks from a hot tip. You know, you've had a blessed life so far. So how was your show last night? Absolutely to die for? I was getting distracted by the lights. Yeah, and there were points when I was like, wait, what am I doing? But other than that, I had a great time.
Speaker 2: So you're on stage, you're in the middle of your hour, everyone's loving it, and you have the realization do I really want to be here?
Speaker 1: I have the realization that light's too bright? Yeah, and I'm like, wait, that light's too bright. I'm like, can we pause? And it's like wait, no, stop it stop. Well you actually can.
Speaker 2: What is your relationship to like breaking the fourth wall vis a vis talking to the venue.
Speaker 1: I think it's okay in the first ten minutes. Really yeah, oh see.
Speaker 2: I think like in the middle of the show, to be like, to be doing crowd work, maybe it's not going well, and to be like turn the turn on the house lights.
Speaker 1: I think that's fun. No, I think turn on the house lights. It's fun. But if you're like, m if it's too like nuanced, it loses something.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I want to discuss a little bit more about your flawed dinner plans last night. Okay, Well, I feel like this is a rich topic.
Speaker 2: It interesting you bring that up because our guest is complicit in the dinner plans being flawed, So I'm not I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't want to call her out, like actually's.
Speaker 2: Sitting there silently.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't realize that when you were telling me about the flawed dinner plans, you waited until she went to the bathroom so it could be a secret.
Speaker 2: So pretty much, I would say, what happened last night is I was attending the screening of Our Dear Friends film, which you couldn't attend because of course you had your big show. Yeah, some of us have to work on our side. The show that you had to stop multiple times to change the lighting and the audience selection. You had to say, I don't like how the how this front row is looking to switch for the third.
Speaker 1: Row, so be fair, that's true, you didn't like the front row. Oh my god, chatty, Oh my god. People are chatting more and more. You know.
Speaker 2: It's like you hear people taking out their phones and movies. People in comedy shows are having full conversations. They're like, so, wait, who did you vote for? I can hear you. I was like, this is the part where you listen right. It made I was really blown away. I love when you say something someone maybe doesn't recognize, you know, a reference and they turn on their part and they're like, what was that movie the person like Devil is Proud? Uh with Meryl Streep. Yeah, Oh she was so good in that. Yeah, she deserved the oscar. You're like, excuse me, I've be not on the next topic, and it's how to say her democracy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen up, because this can make changes. Should we bring in our guest? Yes, well pretty much our guest.
Speaker 2: It's interesting she reinvents herself every time she comes on the podcast, and this time she is coming on as a serious traumatic actress and promoting a film that is quite literally produced by Janice or distributed by Janis Films and Criterion, And it seems like I'm making that up and that she's going to play a character, but that's actually actually not a character's film is called Blue Heron and I saw it last night and was in fact blown away. And I was in a state where I needed to be blown away because the last few films I'd seen were the last of the Academy Award Best Picture nominees that I had been putting off. You're saying, we're talking f one, We're talking Hamnet. I needed to be inspired. I was starving for beauty, and you were fed, and I was fed, and I said yum, yum yum. Unfortunately I was fed so much that then dinner had to be pushed back two hours because I guess all of us were full from the artistic output we had witnessed.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't wait to hear both sides of this story of the failed dinner plans. Please welcome to the podcast, Amy, Semmy Zimmer.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 4: It's not a stradio lab up without some sort of wrench and our rapport and George Jaman swinging with some allegation to.
Speaker 2: The allegations were said. Secretly, I was saying, you know, there are all these I think you were actually well behaved, Just to be to be clear, you're not. You're not the person I'm upset at. There's all these kind of staring because she's along in the room. There's there's always these stereotypical faux pause people can make in a group dinner settings setting.
Speaker 1: Right, So I'm not to go Seinfeld mode, but it's true. Well, that's the time.
Speaker 2: It's very it is very like observational comedy, like don't you hate when your friend does this? And then and then you're splitting the mail and someone says I didn't have the appetizer. There's all these stereotypes. Luckily there was no drama with bill splitting this time. But it's like.
Speaker 1: Everyone's got because everyone's got that.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't worry, I put my card down. I said I'll tip two thousand percent. I don't care.
Speaker 1: I won't even notice it. I don't give it.
Speaker 2: I'll get some delta points. Basically, it's like some people are saying, oh, maybe we'll join later. There's a dinner being planned. Okay, that was me, that's all right.
Speaker 1: So some people are saying I'll join later.
Speaker 2: Some people are joining, and then in the middle of the dinner being like, I have an early flight tomorrow, maybe i'll leave, but I actually not going to decide if I'm going to leave. Yeah, and I'm going to sort of like tease the concept of me leaving. While ordering food. Other people are saying, I have a diet terroristiction. Other people are saying, you know, I'll come, but you know, sort of go to the bathroom first for twenty minutes. That one I just made, not me, It was not you. No, you actually were very regular.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, to be fair, the event was kind of right at a classic dinner time. So I understand the frustration, and I really hope with enough in her work, you get there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, do you guys panic when the event says six pm? Uh yeah, I panic. Yeah, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Think something that we should mention in this instance. So the screening was at six pm. Amy, of course not only has seen the movie, but is in it, so she didn't feel the need to attend. The screening was totally normal.
Speaker 1: She introduced it with the director. Yes, you and the director bang out of it.
Speaker 2: The director introduced the screening and then as you know, I would have done in your position.
Speaker 1: Left.
Speaker 2: Now here's what's interesting. They had dinner during the screening. Oh now that adds an interesting element.
Speaker 4: All I'm being cruisive for leaving having dinner. You were especially about dinner because you were Actually it wasn't centered on.
Speaker 1: This is interesting. This is classic. This is classic dinner for me and not for the Yeah, well, you were watching the film.
Speaker 5: Did you want to come to dinner instead?
Speaker 2: When I was in the film, I was locked in.
Speaker 5: Okay, great, you weren't thinking maybe I could be a dinner now.
Speaker 2: I'll say this though. At the reception, a Q and A kept getting teased.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that was that.
Speaker 4: I expected one as well, but it was sort of there was a mutability last night that was kind of electric. They did and people were leaving they weren't. Yeah, but everyone was having a good time, is the thing. Yeah, no one was frustrated about the lack of.
Speaker 5: No, I hope not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I had a great time all things considered. I gotta say so that you had gripes. I'm glad we're airing now with the lights on me from every A you know.
Speaker 1: So, George, since there was no Q and eight have any ques now?
Speaker 2: A lot of a's, And there's just a lot of things I would like. If you have any questions for me Amy about the film, I would be thrilled to answer them. And even if you get it, did I get it?
Speaker 1: Get it? Okay? And if you have any questions for me as someone who hasn't seen it but has follows you on social media? Oh, and sort of what that might mean?
Speaker 5: What kind of stories do you think I should post moving forward about it?
Speaker 1: I think what you're doing is so perfect. You're being so mysterious.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm really because I'm just sharing the movie so that what's mysterious about.
Speaker 2: Because you're straight forwardly promoting it.
Speaker 1: You're not sharing the full movie, You're just sharing the poster. I mean, like, by the way I'm in this, I'm like, what are you talking about? You don't get it?
Speaker 3: Literally?
Speaker 5: Okay, so you guys both don't get it.
Speaker 2: Have you considered sharing the full film?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Maybe vertical little Well that's coming. I'm talking with Janis. We're getting up a you know, a plan.
Speaker 2: You should tell Janni's films they should get into short form vertical video.
Speaker 4: Do you think I have to tell them? You think they're not already taking initiative.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I question if they're taking initiative when it comes to short for.
Speaker 4: I was watching them at a Taste of Cherry in the corner while the movie was screening into fifteen seconds.
Speaker 2: CLIs they should get into. They should work with people like, you know, Jake Shane, Brittany Bronski, Brosky Broski, excuse.
Speaker 7: Me, Brittany Grande. They should work with a variety of LGBTT plus influencers, maybe kind of branch out into like red carpet content at the VMA's What else can we.
Speaker 2: Recommend for Jeni's films viral pranks. Yeah, have they considered doing viral pranks? They have this amazing talent based you know, they have this.
Speaker 1: Amazing group of talent. You know, they could bring in get.
Speaker 5: Set up kind of like a boyfriend girlfriend pranks.
Speaker 1: I love those.
Speaker 4: You know when when a boyfriend kind of violently plays dead yes, well and the girlfriend walks in being like babe, oh my god, and he's you know, put ketchup on himself and cut himself in a bit, sort of an illusion of such and it's quite violent.
Speaker 1: And actually, do need a documentary on people who do couple.
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed with a couple of pranks. Actually I could have came and hot with that, but I'm obsessed with a couple of pranks. I think they're actually maybe the straightest, most violent thing.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting. Yeah, there is a version of the prank you just described in your film, Am I Am?
Speaker 1: Is this on? Can we can?
Speaker 8: We?
Speaker 4: I don't know what they want or not, but to realize that is I'm out of my body right now.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like but it wasn't relational?
Speaker 2: I mean, it wasn't It wasn't romantic.
Speaker 1: And no spoilers mind a way. So Blue hairn is about a prankster who in some ways Sam describes the movie not having not seen it. What we're talking about.
Speaker 5: This is great for the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's about a prankster who's a girl. Yeah, Amy, before we started recording, something kind of crazy happened.
Speaker 5: Was just here it comes again tokeedo number.
Speaker 1: Two, Locked and loaded. Yeah, where you actually said glasses, no glasses and we said, oh my god, glasses and you said, you know these are just blue blockers. Yeah, they're not real. And I said, I thought you wore glasses your whole life.
Speaker 4: And which is amazing because you know, Sam and I have known each other for what upwards of how many years decade? I have never worn glasses once, and so in his mind, I assume you've thought I've had contacts on every day of my life until now.
Speaker 2: You do have the look of someone that has just taken off her glasses.
Speaker 1: I must say, well, thank you.
Speaker 2: You have a look of someone who's like before, the look of someone who's like okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like okay, so the the upward, the oh.
Speaker 2: This isn't gonna work, but we can if you email Susan, then maybe we can get.
Speaker 4: It thinking the skirts are too wrapped, if that makes sense, and if we could just tear the skirts instead of having.
Speaker 2: The wrap, if we could do one fewer. I'm happy to get in there myself. But I have that meeting at two thirty, and I.
Speaker 4: Think we're in a good place, but just progressing forward. If the skirts could be kind of tiered.
Speaker 1: Did that? How did that make you feel? To be so unseen, to be so unclocked?
Speaker 5: Added to the list.
Speaker 4: You know, all my life, you know, just having to correct make corrective, corrective moves. Now people see you gotta let it go. You gotta be free, You gotta be yourselvy. I to say, hey, someone thinks I've worn glasses all my life?
Speaker 5: Who am I to? Who might have stop them in their fantasy?
Speaker 1: That's true? Yeah, that's true. I guess I feel I feel guilty, and I am going to try to pay more attention to what to what women are wearing, Sam, what women wear? What is gaslating she's been wearing?
Speaker 4: She think if you put all our episodes back to back and just did a super edit of you guys, sort of.
Speaker 2: What exposing you as me bringing up.
Speaker 4: Things that I had no idea where on your mind about me, about my personhood, about my personality.
Speaker 1: I mean, what is that about?
Speaker 3: I wonder?
Speaker 4: Because we're good friends, right like, we have funly giggle and laugh.
Speaker 1: And when you.
Speaker 2: Inserted yourself via AI into this that was made independently without your involvement, and then burst into the Janis Film's offices and said, I'm.
Speaker 1: Ready to promote what was going through your head?
Speaker 4: Well, you know it was a choice made well before the conversations about AI took off, and so I think, you know, the ideas about generative AI hadn't been such a such a lightning rod, and so when I decided to do that, I just kind of felt like, you know, there's no stop in it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And you were right, you know, forget a year ago, the conversation was completely completely different, completely different, and everybody.
Speaker 4: Was coming forward saying do this, do it? And so who was I to get in the way of generative AI and.
Speaker 1: Things like that, And they say make your own opportunities, you know, yes, generate that may any means possible, even if that means holding a gun to the head of Jenis.
Speaker 5: Well that wasn't me that was Ai.
Speaker 1: Oh right, right right, that's interesting that you said himself. I always imagined the head of Janni's films to be a woman named Janis.
Speaker 2: So that would be iconic.
Speaker 4: These are my films, These are my films, These are my films, These are my films, These are Janics.
Speaker 1: No one gets between Janis and her films. That's that.
Speaker 5: Don't make me cry just thinking about that.
Speaker 1: She got rid of her middle name because she said, I am just Janis.
Speaker 4: Films, Jannis p films. So, yeah, I have a question for you. I'm struggling with, okay, earnestly, okay, fine, I'm struggling with finding a comedic entry point and talking about your work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh because this because this film, as I actually have now set off Mike, is a serious drama. You are fully giving a dramatic, non comedic performance, no offense if you were aiming for slapstick but failed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: There's there's a moment in it actually where it gets some titters that I'm secretly proud of. But it's sort of not meant to be funny in the least, and I there's just a tinge of comedic relief in it.
Speaker 5: But not really decided upon.
Speaker 1: Definitely, it's a drama.
Speaker 2: It's a drama. I must say. It works beautifully. And I also think, just on a separate personal level, it depicts being the child of like non native English speakers in this case Canada, but also America in a way that I hadn't ever seen.
Speaker 1: If anyone is interested in that kind of depiction.
Speaker 2: Regardless of all of that, I'm like, how do we speak about this film comedically without sort of without like implying that we're making fun of it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I haven't figured it out yet because.
Speaker 4: It is just sort of like a deeply I think, a deeply felt drama. Yes, And it's always funny because I talk about my background in comedy and people ask how I came to it.
Speaker 5: And also we've done Q and a's over festivals.
Speaker 4: And things like that, and people are a lot of the time quite emotional after the movie, and I'm always like, you know, I'm so used to riffing in a Q and A or something like that, and it's just not the it's not the moment.
Speaker 5: So I don't know yet, But do.
Speaker 2: You feel your alienating audience is left and right in that sense. No, oh okay, if.
Speaker 1: You have than that? Now you had one amazing riff after So the film ends, oh god, credits role, it's you come out, Yeah, and you're handed to Mike. What's your amazing rift to break the tension?
Speaker 5: Can you believe all that?
Speaker 1: And that was real?
Speaker 3: The old one?
Speaker 2: Is that final cut?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I thought this was a comedy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, No I should I say what the movie's about?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Well, I actually would love it if you because I don't know how much I'm allowed to spoil.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a delicate thing, I guess.
Speaker 1: And I also haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Right, so same and Sam is a good reason, which is that he had a show.
Speaker 4: Yeah so Sam, you had a show. Would you like to know what the film's about?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 5: Okay, great, but don't.
Speaker 1: Tell me too much because I want to be surprised. Okay, great.
Speaker 4: So this is a debut feature, of course, by Sophie Rumvari. I don't know if you're familiar with their shorts. They're on the Criterion channel right now. Oh yeah, it's like YouTube. You have a subscription, right, of course, I imagine. So, well, what's the last thing you streamed on there? Just curious just movies, all, uh, okay, So this is a debut feature. It's a family drama set in nineteen nineties Vancouver Great Year, where a Hungarian family immigrates to Vancouver. They have an eldest sibling, eldest son, a sibling to three other siblings, if you will, And yeah, he suffers some behavioral issues. So the film sort.
Speaker 2: Of he's addicted to pranks.
Speaker 5: I'll let you infer what happens.
Speaker 2: But as kind of tension is, of course, what I'm interested in is doing his job of riffing on what you're saying. Right, you're saying, can I please finish? Because I'm serious?
Speaker 4: Right, Well, it's a pacentrator a lot about but I feel but yeah, so okay, so yeah, he's maybe doing prasies, maybe not. I know you'll have to You'll have to see it to believe it. And of course that's the tagline of the filmy believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And.
Speaker 5: Basically it centers on on.
Speaker 4: The family's life dealing with this kind of crisis and then there is more to come where I am involved.
Speaker 1: You're not are You're not even saying who you play?
Speaker 5: I played?
Speaker 4: The adult version of her name is Sasha, a young Sasha, the.
Speaker 1: Young sister of young sister of the brother with behavioral issues? Did that?
Speaker 7: Hr?
Speaker 1: Did you go into audition for the young version and they cast you as the old version and you're like, what the fuck.
Speaker 4: All considering that she's about nine just a couple of months, but and camera it does so much.
Speaker 2: So you went through earlyer?
Speaker 5: I actually really did so.
Speaker 4: Actually, don't even joke about that, because you know, I doe what it's like going through puberty at nine, ten years old, or you cast because of early Yeah, yeah, I think the director could feel that when we met.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you said, oh god, I could feel that you're an old soul. Yeah, because puberty earlier.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 4: Actually, by the way, I was the tallest person at ten years old for quite a while and you're.
Speaker 1: Still went around ten year olds one of the tallest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, and it's very very alienating. Actually, I was a center in basketball, so I hear that touching that I see that I was a center a little bit into.
Speaker 2: I wanted to comment on women's bodies more and.
Speaker 4: Yeahs at least women's basketball. Hello, Like, where are you guys on this?
Speaker 1: That's true. We're not making much noise.
Speaker 2: All our opinions about college sports are behind a payhall, and we don't feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: Lot of opinion A lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a model to all this.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Chre I'll say it. We believe all professional sports should be ten year olds.
Speaker 1: I love that, so voices the Heron.
Speaker 5: So we've got Harvey Firestein.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is so fun.
Speaker 5: It's fab.
Speaker 1: He's fab.
Speaker 5: It's just you know, and I've heard says animated.
Speaker 1: It's entirely animated.
Speaker 2: It's animated and like I sort of like cartoon Network kind of way.
Speaker 4: Well it would be if it wasn't for the heavy amounts of AI were using to animate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, So it's a animated it and then they put it into an AI filter that said make it studio ghibli.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah yeah we did that, and then we said erase that, and then we said make it I don't know, make it feel kind of I don't know, just fun, and they let, you know, you let the AI kind of do its thing.
Speaker 5: It really has quite a point of view.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: People don't trust it, you know, people say, people say, get humans in there, you know.
Speaker 1: Edit edit edited.
Speaker 5: To talk to it, so many things to say.
Speaker 4: You just get to know what it is, what it wants, okay, tell them your deepest desires and secrets, okay, and they'll say I love it.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I know you mostly did like voiceover of sound effects, so it's kind of yeah, I would. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a point where the heron calls right, and I went.
Speaker 4: And I did that for about three days without water.
Speaker 1: By the way. Wow, Yeah, that must have been hard, thank you.
Speaker 2: And then they still had to play okay I because it wasn't well.
Speaker 4: They cut a lot of it because I apparently did it badly, you know.
Speaker 1: And just to be clear, you're.
Speaker 2: Not you're not at all represented in the final cut of the film.
Speaker 1: Is that.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not in it. I'm not in a per se.
Speaker 4: It's just sort of an idea of what it would be like if I was in a Jana's film. Yeah, that's kind of why I'm on the pod, you know.
Speaker 1: The idea of being in a Janis film. I this is so complex, And now I see what you mean, because of course you were at first earnestly telling us the plot and sort of what the tone is. No, no, no, you're being celebrated. I'm just like, I'm I'm worried. I don't know what the listener knows. I don't know if they like I trust our listeners, of course, but sometimes I'm like, what if they're confused?
Speaker 4: No, listeners, it's a drama. It's a drama, and I think everything.
Speaker 2: It's a family drama that is unexpected and formally experimental, formally inventive, inventive, inventive. I need to stop seeing experimental, yeah, because we make it sound unfinished or something.
Speaker 4: It would be fun to talk about that if had more people see the movie. It comes out April seventeenth in theaters, and that's real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's real. Confirmed, Yeah, that's confirmed. And yeah.
Speaker 2: The fact that it is a Criterion release, does that mean it's going to be streaming on the Criterion Channel soon?
Speaker 5: I believe so.
Speaker 4: I don't know when, but it will one day.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for my amazing interview questions? Sure, George says you cry in the movie, That's true. Was that was that hard? Yeah? Was that hard?
Speaker 9: It was?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I was really scared about those scenes because I had never done that before.
Speaker 5: And it felt the day.
Speaker 4: I'm like, it was hard, but I have to say, like filming this was for as heavy as a film is, it was really a rejuvenating experience and like, I had a wonderful time filming it. And I also like those scenes which were really intense. The actors that I performed with when I cry, I'll say that are were so really like generous, and so I felt like in the scene there was a lot of maybe this sounds like classic actor stuff, but I felt like really supported, and it didn't feel so much like.
Speaker 3: Is you gonna do it?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, It was just kind of oh, there was really an environment where it was just being played.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do think it would have been really cool if they were sort of rather than acting along with you being like.
Speaker 4: Come on, come on, yeah, I know. Well, Sophie and I did have conversations where she was like, you know, like no pressure, it would be awesome, but no pressure, And I was.
Speaker 1: Feeling a bit sexual in a way. It's sort of like when someone is like, well, worried about getting and you're like, yeah, yeah, being able to perform literally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just have a soft environment for which things can if we don't funk. That's fine, Yeah, yeah, yeah, you have to have a little of that or I don't know, at least for me. I'm sure there's actors who can do it on a dime, and that's really impressive to me.
Speaker 5: It really is, it really is.
Speaker 1: Wow. How did you did you like listen to a sad song or like, how did you get into it? This is something I've always been confused about. Did you listen to Skinny Love? Did you listen to f K Twigs, Cellophane?
Speaker 5: In a sense, I listened to both of those at once.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 5: I did things I listened to.
Speaker 4: And I thought about some stuff that was messed up and the economy.
Speaker 8: Yeah right, it makes me crying I think about it, think about the stops.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I did stuff like that, and I thought about, like I did, think about like eventually coming on here and talking about it, and and that's what.
Speaker 5: You and they just came. They just came.
Speaker 1: They just gave Yeah. Wow. Well we're so happy to help in your process. Of course, you will always help. Did you know?
Speaker 4: I want you to feel that you always sam you always help, Thank you, thank you. There's still time.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna do drama? Forever. Now I will drama forever.
Speaker 5: You mean instead of comedyaring off comedy, would you say this podcast episode is quote the last hurrah in terms of your comedy career. I don't want it to be.
Speaker 1: You're going to delete this because you're gonna be like, wait, they can't see me as funny. I don't like how I'm portrayed in this vertical video.
Speaker 4: No, earnestly, No, I mean I don't know. I'm like, however, people will have me. I'll do I'll do whatever. I did think about it a lot where I was like, what, like, you know, I'm like an old comedian who did this drama and people are like who huh?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, I don't know, I'm doing my thing.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like Jennifer Aniston when she did the movie Cake.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'll never know what it was like to do Cake.
Speaker 1: No one.
Speaker 2: Will ever be able to relate to her experience doing Cake.
Speaker 1: There is one person who knows what it was like to be Jennifer andson doing Cake when she was doing Cake. By the way, I have no idea what this film is. You even seen Cake? I've never even heard of it.
Speaker 2: Cake is Jenniferanson's dramatic turn, and she plays a woman with chronic pain. Why, I guess you don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, the lights are too bright on my show Chronic Pain.
Speaker 1: Main guy from Avatar, Australian guy. Oh yeah, they have locked up in the Avatar. So that was the one time he escaped and it was to do cake.
Speaker 2: And then they said, okay, that's set up, sweetheart, back to the kennel, back to Pandora.
Speaker 5: It's funny to you to do cake. Yeah, that phrase is interesting.
Speaker 2: It sort of sounds like to do coke lines of cake.
Speaker 5: And then you it's two drugs combined.
Speaker 1: We're yeah kay and coke boots.
Speaker 5: That's my ego.
Speaker 2: Bits well, you know that it refers to the only pain killer Jennifer Aniston can do. That addresses like chronic pain and it's chocolate.
Speaker 1: She's like chocolate. She's like, I have chronic pain. The only cure is a little chocolate cake.
Speaker 2: She was playing a comedic in a way that didn't really make sense for the film, and I think you luckily didn't fall into that trap. Jennifer Aniston, I think freaked out about thematic nature of the film, and then when in being so slapstick.
Speaker 1: She was like slipping on the cake, on the.
Speaker 2: Frosting and falling and cooking it and then there was like flower all over her face.
Speaker 1: And she was like, ay yea yai.
Speaker 4: Well, let me ask this if I can turn the tables, please, what's either of your experiences with acting, because you guys have booked done it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm horrible at it, of course. I you know, I'm only cast if my dear friends are making the television show.
Speaker 5: But I think you a delightful presence. Well, thank you, lobs at me.
Speaker 1: I recently had the realization, as George knows, I'm I'm feeling complex feelings about like I was thinking about like Safty casting and how you're either like Timothy shallow May or you're like the ugliest bitch on Earth. And I'm like, oh fuck, I'm gonna if I'm ever in a Safty, it's gonna be as the ugliest bitch on Earth. Sucks.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't see that for you.
Speaker 1: I see you.
Speaker 5: I see you in the space between.
Speaker 1: I love to be in the space between.
Speaker 2: One of my core wounds when it comes to acting, of course, is that I once had a scene with Jessica Bill that was cut from the project.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, that we all have done that. I've done that, and mostly me.
Speaker 1: I don't think you've ever actually met the opposite of Jennifer and we've all done that, and we all experienced.
Speaker 2: No, I think I'm the only gay guy that has ever filmed with Jessica Biel and then had the scene cut.
Speaker 1: Now, of course my line was gorgeous as always.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's because of you. There's a thing I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: I actually can I say. I think it might have been really well, I don't know. Maybe I'm give me the reading.
Speaker 1: Do you remember how you.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, and I could never even begin to get into that case you will do this scene, I'll be Here's what's interesting. What do you think I meant when I said gorgeous as always to Jessica Biel? I think you were, and that's misogynistic. So what I actually meant.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sorry, I can't so shutting me down from even speaking.
Speaker 2: Is you thought her looks? I actually meant her writing, because she in the scene had just read something and I said gorgeous as always.
Speaker 1: I was referring to the.
Speaker 4: Writing okay, not a word out of me about it, not a word, okay, but let's do I want to do the scene.
Speaker 1: Let's do the scene. Okay, let's do the scene. Okay.
Speaker 5: So, so give me a little feedback. I'll play Jessica. Yeah, I'm writer. I'm writer, Yes, book, what's type of writing?
Speaker 2: So you're actually reading the eulogy at your dead husband's funeral.
Speaker 1: Was he a doctor?
Speaker 2: He I don't actually remember what his job was, but he died under mysterious circumstances. So that's definitely part of what you're accessing.
Speaker 5: And I have to read the eulogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we can skip to like the final line.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't have to do a full eulogy.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, she's really getting into it.
Speaker 4: There's a time for all of us in this life, and there's a time where we come into this world and come out. And Stephen lived, he died how he lived, writing his epic poetry with style.
Speaker 5: And grace, and he moved me as he moved all of you.
Speaker 1: To dream bought would just be one line.
Speaker 5: I'm getting to the line.
Speaker 4: I'm finding it to dream, to dream bigger and better than what this life and now I'm thrown off what this life could imagine. And he will always be my Stephen pretty much, and I pretty much love you guys as well, and I will always think of him pretty much all the time.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's basically it.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous as always, So that's how I read it. But I felt like I was sort of pretty grounded. So anyway, in terms of my relationship to acting, I think something that has never happened to anyone, which is having a scene cut from a Jessica build project, happened to me, and so I took that as a sign that I should move away from the art form.
Speaker 1: Well, I do think you're putting too hard on yourself. I think, personally, as someone that makes excuses for my poor performances, I think it's not fair. When you were just giving one line, that's the hardest thing you can do.
Speaker 2: The thing is actually lines.
Speaker 1: Oh that's different, that's the easiest.
Speaker 2: And when I when I came on that actually even more. And before we even began, they said we're cutting this part, so now you're down to three. I did the three lines and then that was cut from the final project.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I don't blame yourself, don't blame yourself. You get knocked down, you get up ten you know.
Speaker 1: Do you think it was Jess's fault?
Speaker 2: That's how she introduced herself.
Speaker 4: She read what I've read, then there could be fault there, just when it comes to the dialogue and the language and.
Speaker 2: You do you actually were completely off book? That was the exact dialogue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gave me, you gave me your sides for a second, and yeah, she said pretty much a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's okay though.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it comes it comes down to the feeling you want the film to have.
Speaker 1: It's not about did I tell you about when I auditioned for Orange Is the New Black?
Speaker 2: You were supposed to play crazy Eyes.
Speaker 1: I I literally auditioned for Orange is the New Black, and the scene was like, okay, so I was a security guard who walks in seeing someone had been raped, like in prison and was like like an also maybe stabbed, and I'm supposed to run in and find their body and.
Speaker 2: Needs to talk about something needs to be released by Janis Films in the Crater.
Speaker 5: Begin, How did you begin? I have another audition story after this.
Speaker 1: Okay, I run in and my line is is he breathing, and you know I can't deliver. Is he breathing? You know that's not me? And I run in and I go, is he breathing? You know I can't do that, And the woman just looks at me like, okay, this person's pre pandemic. It was the hubris of a twenty eight year old being like, well, sure, yeah, yeah, I want me. Is he breathing on the ground, imagining a body. Is he breathing?
Speaker 5: Is he breathing?
Speaker 3: Is that breathing?
Speaker 1: Is he breathing? God? I think about it every single.
Speaker 4: Day, you know what I think about I have a story where I had to audition as somebody who had basically uh, I think it was like either Joan of Arc or just a dead woman who had been resurrected after three thousand years.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I booked and I couldn't do it because I was not in town.
Speaker 1: What wow, So you nailed I fed in What world?
Speaker 2: Do you not remember if it was.
Speaker 4: Either Joan of Arc or it was an art It was an art installation and there were multiple I think videos, and I don't know if I was auditioning for Joan of Arc or for another woman. I think it was Joan of Arc being resurrected after three days.
Speaker 2: So did you have to do a French accent?
Speaker 5: I had to know. I spoke nothing. I had a little.
Speaker 4: They were like, so, so this is what we're thinking.
Speaker 5: I walk into the room. It's a room, not unlike this.
Speaker 1: They're like, so there's a podcast.
Speaker 2: It was dead Joan of Arc doing a podcast. Yeah, it was dead j Ar doing I don't think so some time.
Speaker 4: Seconds, no, but I I walk in and they're like, okay, so this is what we're thinking.
Speaker 5: So she's Joan of Arc.
Speaker 4: She's been you know, dead for three thousand years, and we want to see it. Looks like if she's uh comes back to life, is resurrected and she's thirsty.
Speaker 5: And so they gave me a tiny little Poland spring.
Speaker 1: And they set it on the floor.
Speaker 4: Set it on the floor and they said, we want you to do this lying down. So go see the film Blue Hair in April seventeen.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by Poland Spring. Yeah, that is so crazy.
Speaker 1: That's not in the movie.
Speaker 5: Wow, And I did.
Speaker 4: It was really really intense and I had I and you booked, I booked, but I yeah, I wonder who else was it was auditioning?
Speaker 1: Well probably, yeah, yeah, but it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I forget it that it doesn't be is he breathing?
Speaker 1: And you book that too? I booked that bad.
Speaker 5: It's like one of two things I booked.
Speaker 1: But I know, it's amazing that when you look back on things and you're like, you know, it's not that I actually wasn't given opportunities, it's that I flopped in mom them.
Speaker 5: Well, I've had plenty of those.
Speaker 1: But you know, we're on a journey and I think my forties are going to be so to die for When.
Speaker 4: I I think that as well, yeah, something's gonna settle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I still think.
Speaker 2: You know, Sam famously auditioned to play cousin Greg on Succession and did I always think he would have been really good at it.
Speaker 1: Oh, this was my first audition literally ever stop. I got an agent and then it was like, okay, you're gonna audition for cousin Greg.
Speaker 2: We're starting big.
Speaker 1: And they're like they're like whatever, you don't even know what stuff is. Just do this one.
Speaker 5: You would have went, Wait, do you remember the sides for it?
Speaker 1: I do. It was from the pilot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the mascot stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I like didn't know what an audition was, like, yeah, it says come in and did they say come in and read for this? Yeah? And I was like, oh my, Like Amelia Badelia asked, bitch, I literally bring the script in and just read and they're like awesome. They're like, so you need to memorize this. They're like, so can you do it to camera? And I was like, what's a camera? I was literally looking and then like look up and then I'd be like and it was like what am I thinking? Like I learned what you do?
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't read it, but I remember doing something that was like really early on and I was like, so, what was the feedback? And there they said you were really green and I was like, oh, what does green mean?
Speaker 1: People love to tell you phrases when you don't know what they mean.
Speaker 2: That is the first I would say. I'm still going through that stage where it's just like someone tells you something. By the way, it's impossible to google. If someone is like, oh, yeah, they said that you.
Speaker 1: You know, had the blinders exactly be great.
Speaker 2: If I google that, it will literally give me nothing, So I just have to not know what it is.
Speaker 1: What a condition like a color and literally they're like, fuck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Amy.
Speaker 1: Our first thing was called street Shooters. And in this segment, we're going to ask you a series of rapid fire questions. Is basically this thing or this other thing to gage your familiarity with and complicity in straight culture. The only rule is you can't ask any fault questions or we will scream. If we will scream, is he breathing so Amy in d s.
Speaker 2: Le's or Windy Breeze Wendy Breeze, shopping the Supreme Drop or flopping with Ai slop.
Speaker 1: Shopping the Supreme Drop, making your needs known? Or baking with wheat dough, baking with wheat Tate McCrae, or hate finds away. Ooh, I don't like this, No one does. I'm off Broadway or on top of May, on top of.
Speaker 10: May, silver Spoon, Bronze bust or gold member.
Speaker 1: Gold number, having twenty twenty vision or making money hungry decisions.
Speaker 6: Making money hungry decisions, Carhart, Walmart or Quisine art Oh, cousin art Que's and art queas and Art.
Speaker 2: Sorry I mispronounced it In the original Friends Friend, It's quiz.
Speaker 1: And art Okay, oh, do you know the that brand of meat? Never heard of this? There's brands of meat.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, your question is there's brands of meat.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's all farm to the table?
Speaker 5: I love coming on here.
Speaker 1: This is a.
Speaker 2: Classic person who doesn't cook. Sam thinks that everyone wakes up every day and they get delivery from local farms.
Speaker 1: Read their additions. Someone brings them a live chicken.
Speaker 2: They slaughter it in house in your upper West Side apartment, and then they say, okay, roaster up.
Speaker 1: Name one brand of meat. I know you have this chicken. That's right. Brands of meat. Yeah, we live in a world of brands.
Speaker 5: Sam, you know that better than anyone.
Speaker 1: Do you think the.
Speaker 2: Last the last industry that hasn't been corporatized is me?
Speaker 1: I just like I've never heard it, like said, like brands of meat, Like it's just sounded weird. You know them in your heart. I do know them my heart, but it just sounded weird. It was like I was imagining like clothing brands, but meat like it's very similar, very you know, there's packaging that has a logo and they will merge.
Speaker 4: Probably you'll get some Prada Turkey collab.
Speaker 5: I think that would be fabulous.
Speaker 1: I think, I feel and think, okay, well, why did that happen?
Speaker 5: I just asked if you had heard of the brand, because it came into my head.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 5: It's a brand of meat.
Speaker 1: Something?
Speaker 2: Is it an artisanal? Is it like really high qualit?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Isn't it amazing that when you go to purchase me you always have the thought process of like, okay, so is this poison? I don't know which, I don't know which is good? And then you just have to be like, well, well, and then day, every single day you go to the grocery store, it's like, is that is that going to poison me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well I guess we'll see.
Speaker 1: Something will yeah, something will. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's really amazing how there's no transparency when it comes to food in this country. Well that's all gonna change as soon as Blue Heron comes out. You guys are off and you're partnering with fruit or whatever that company is called. I don't know what was the company that you mentioned design?
Speaker 1: What language is that?
Speaker 5: That's got to be French?
Speaker 1: They art? Oh, I see, I say, I'm not saying right? And when did the words start and stop?
Speaker 5: They art apostrophe one word.
Speaker 1: You sort of sound.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking.
Speaker 1: The art.
Speaker 2: Steel Blue saying, and is that a problem Well, it's a little problematic.
Speaker 5: You're talking to you.
Speaker 1: This is really offensive. Do you guys remember the America's Home videos where the cat would go long John, Now we're getting there.
Speaker 4: That's what Dar reminds me of when the cat make the funny noise the Eldest Millennial? Do you want to do an indie with me called the Eldest Millennium? The Eldest Millennial? Oh my god, when you settle in.
Speaker 1: Your forties bringing up neon cat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's something deeply like it's kind of like Lars and the Real Girl, but.
Speaker 1: It's cat memes. Oh my god, I don't know what's gotten into me and the Real Girl?
Speaker 2: Know, how do we get back to that era film?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Something that's all you needed.
Speaker 9: Back there, I know you needed and you needed the real Girl and it was sort of like.
Speaker 5: Quirky let them figure it out on.
Speaker 1: That Pope when Quirky was enough. Now it's got to.
Speaker 5: Be formally innovative and you.
Speaker 2: Know hungarian, Yeah, yeah, yeah, it has to have an old comedian crying Lars and the real girl, folks, I know, simple as Lars the real girl. You do the.
Speaker 4: Math, I was the tagline of the sponsored by Darg d'Artagnan.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, should we get into our topic?
Speaker 4: I guess so we don't have to, we we should? Okay, Well, just know, however it goes, we don't have to my fear.
Speaker 2: And I'm just going to come out and say it right as someone who knows who is not a doesn't drive, is not a car owner, and barely could point to sort of the parts of a car, by the way, saying I worry about any our related topic. And so I'm coming at I'm going into this from a place of fear. I wanted to be open and honest about that before you say, with the topic, so okay, And I just want you to know I think you clocked when you said the topic and I shuddered a bit. That was right, Oh okay, it wasn't because I thought that's a bad topic. Okay, well it could be, but I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know. It's something I want to work out in the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I brought my straight topic today, which is fender benders.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what feels initially straight about that to you?
Speaker 4: Well, I recently experienced one, and I found I was in the passenger seat, okay, and I found the entire exchange like a litigation nightmare, which seems pretty on brand, and there's a lot there's a deep performance of when it happens, it's it's quite shocking, and I think the go to phrases, oh, for God's sake, which is like a really straight kind of way of saying things. And also the exchanging of information to exchange information in twenty twenty six is you know, to talk to insurance, just tap your phone, Yeah, just swipe basically, yeah and yeah.
Speaker 5: I find the whole thing kind of like.
Speaker 4: It's evocative of the thing that is already so confining, which is the rules of the road, yes, and violating them or making mistakes and things like that.
Speaker 1: I find fender bender to be one having like a cutesy name for something that is like horrifying, horrifying and traumatic and annoying as fuck. Yeah, is funny because I wish it's like, well, if it's called a fender bender, then let's treat it like a fender bender, Like let's have some fun. Yeah, actually like we're stuck here for.
Speaker 4: A bit of dramatics actually in the event of the fender bender, but you have to make it.
Speaker 5: You have to call it a boo boo, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when it's actually like the you can see how everyone was as a child when you get into a fender bender, how people react to anger and shock and surprise and stuff like.
Speaker 2: Do you think maybe that's why it's called a fender because it brings you into Yes, it's baby tak It brings you into kind of the rhyme based environment where everyone is suddenly ga ga round, but sung by a children's choir.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's a pretty adult experience.
Speaker 1: It's a very adult experience.
Speaker 5: Have you been in one?
Speaker 1: So weirdly no?
Speaker 5: Oh see this is this is kind of proving my point a little.
Speaker 2: Bit because Sam is gay. He's never been in one, so therefore it is straight. Is that?
Speaker 1: Do I have to spell it enough? I've never been in a fender bender, and I it's actually been such a long journey of not getting into a car accident knock on wood, that I'm starting to victim blame people that are like.
Speaker 4: Where I'm like, well, you probably yeah, you guaranteed, by the way, I was not you know, I have bias, I know, but I was not in the car that was in the wrong.
Speaker 1: And well the blame, of course, the blame is the biggest part where it's like cut and dry. It's like, well, if you're the one that bumped into them, then you're the one at fault.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's where you see kind of like the inner workings.
Speaker 2: Of you know, American Empire.
Speaker 4: And Mikey's a boomer's inner child, and it's like whoa, yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's it's very you say, a boom is in her child because the boomer suddenly.
Speaker 1: The boomer was not me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, instantly, and you're suddenly at recess and someone has accidentally hate you.
Speaker 4: And I'm watching like a group of people calm the person down, who is a little bit to blame?
Speaker 1: You know, this is okay, follow me on this one. Fender bender because we're a nation of cars except for New York City. Literally, yeah, fender bender culture. Everyone knows it. Everyone has been in one and they have gotten out in like film taking pictures, been like this is your fault, this is your fault, arguing, Yeah, we are now. It has steeped into every part of culture where that's why like now everyone is like filming and being like you have touched you have touched me. Proof Everyone thinks they're constantly in a fender bender. They have like fender bender vision of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ender bender was the original cancel culture and so ways, and we're kind of fender benderizing the rest of society as we speak, as we sit here and record.
Speaker 4: Now that that I hadn't marinated with well as your marinate.
Speaker 2: In your latire's noir. Yeah, you're dumb, dumb, dumb as you marinate as you marinate. I want to say also this, Yeah, here's the thing with fender benders. We're used to a isolated, individualistic lifestyle where everyone is in their own car, physically can't touch their fellow man, can't speak, cannot even be heard outside of the confines of the car. A fender bender is a violent assault on that individualistic lifestyle.
Speaker 4: By the way, yeah, keep going, Oh, I'm sorry, I can't cut you off one I'm speaking.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry I couldn't speak. You called me misogynistic.
Speaker 4: I can't pipe in on a lively pod with my closest friends.
Speaker 2: As I was saying, it is a break in the individualistic, you know, lifestyle that everyone leads, and that's why people react with such violence. They're saying, I didn't I didn't know you could see me or touch me.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I was going to add to that before being put on a list or something.
Speaker 1: That actually you unlocked a memory for me.
Speaker 4: Of this woman had been blasting talk radio when she stopped her car, and it was echoing out into the far reaches of space, and I was like, in what universe is someone listening to talk radio this loud? It had to be at like seventy out of one hundred on the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was sort of bringing a heavy metal vibe.
Speaker 4: Well it's in the curated space of the car, you know, and had to have that punctured. Is more disorienting than actually like the accident.
Speaker 1: Whoa, oh right.
Speaker 2: She was like zoning out.
Speaker 5: She was like, my day's ruined. I was like, yeah, ours too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, She's like, but I don't see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she was pretty much do you even this?
Speaker 5: I didn't see you, guys, you were you weren't even here.
Speaker 4: And then you know, we're doing all the paperwork and stuff and she's calming down and then she's like and I'm sorry, I wrote your day too. And it was like okay, after like forty five minutes, and I was like, thank you.
Speaker 1: You know that's nice. You know, I think I have such a great fear of getting in a fender bender just for the paperwork. Like I'm like, oh, I don't know, like what the systems would be. And I know there's like a very regimented thing you have to follow.
Speaker 5: I would drown if it had if I had been driving.
Speaker 1: It's a take my car.
Speaker 5: I would drown myself.
Speaker 1: Do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: I was like, I can't even sign sign at the dotted line. It's overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: I know this is like a common thing and we've talked about a million times, but I'm like, why are cars nice? Why can't we just run into each other a little bit? This is I can.
Speaker 4: I had the same thought when it came to straight culture, because I was like, well, what's the alternative, you know, if we if we lived in a different type of universe. And I was like, there is either a world where fender benders don't exist, right, or there's the other timeline where fender benders are constant, and our cars are mutilated at will, and there's structures in place.
Speaker 1: They made to be they're made to be totaled. It's a GTA sort of lifestyle.
Speaker 4: And you're there are you know, social structures in place to protect first of all a person from any bodily harm, but also the right to spend and bend.
Speaker 2: And I think what you're describing as a more collectivist approach to transportation because you are designing a car with the with the car intention of it being part of a larger community of cars, whereas currently cars are being designed as designed as extensions of the self exact thing. I'm buying a Ferrari because that's my personality. Yeah, Instead it should be I'm.
Speaker 4: Lug this thing around till you can't exactly and get where you need to go and be safe. But by the way, you need to crash into a bunch of people to get where you're going.
Speaker 1: That's you.
Speaker 4: They're going to be safe. You're going to be safe, and we are going to have mechanics all over this great nation helping to make this a reality happily.
Speaker 1: I drive a really old, kind of shitty car, and what is it. It's a two thousand and nine Toyota Highlander.
Speaker 4: Okay, there goes a sponsorship. Toyotas are fabulous cars.
Speaker 1: Well, it runs like a dream, but it's you know, it's not it's not fancy, it's not new.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel that I feel like the most free person on all of the road because everyone I get this like freaking out and I'm like, run into me, and I don't.
Speaker 5: You're saying, like, my car, it's still going to run like a dream.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hit me, because it's a Toyota. But I also sometimes feel like the like the Joker a bit where I'm like, I'm not stuck in here with you, your second here with me via the roads because if people are like being a free agent being pushy, I'm like, yeah, I don't mind a.
Speaker 5: Bump, Yeah yeah, yeah, do it, do it, wreck your wreck your volvo.
Speaker 1: What happens.
Speaker 5: Thing is going to be like a tank?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: And you have never driven or well, so I did get a license in my early twenties briefly, congratulations, And the second time I drove, I got into a fender bender.
Speaker 1: Really oh you.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you you.
Speaker 2: Went into this same but I would say it was such a traumatic experience. I basically not really engaged in driving.
Speaker 1: Since no wonder.
Speaker 2: To be clear, that's how his first husband died. It was so yes, that was what the woman said after she got out of her car. It was in fact so light that there wasn't any damage and we didn't even exchange information. I mean she like, yeah, felt she felt the bump, and then got out and immediately started yelling at me.
Speaker 1: Like you're a texting weren't you? You were a texting weren't you people?
Speaker 2: I was like I was. I wasn't And I even said because I was so freaked out and in my mind this wasn't something that could happen. It was like, well I failed at the thing I've been training for. Yeah, because I had. It was literally my first, like second or third time, and so I was like I truly broked. I mean I wasn't crying, but I broke down. I was like, I'm literally a new driver, like I'm doing my best here. And then she was and then she immediately like realized that was a human being. She just went from being like I'm going to murder you on the spot, yeah, to like, oh, maybe you have thoughts and feelings. Yeah, and maybe you don't, like you aren't out to murder me.
Speaker 5: We had quite similar experience.
Speaker 4: If you need like a slice, I don't know if you would ever need more of it right now, but if you needed a slice of the American psyche, get an a Fender vendor.
Speaker 1: No, truly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the best, beautiful, the best way to gauge the American Like where American culture is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where everybody's nerves are, where their thoughts go, which is me and then my bad you, well.
Speaker 1: The want to fight like it is like we all need to like lower our guns, Like there is something where you are almost the same way you're expected to do paperwork. You're expected to come out of your car yelling yeah, because it's like I need to be the Yeah, I need to be the one who is yelling more because then it's not my fault, it's setting the precedent.
Speaker 5: Yes, this is exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: It's like if I come out guns blazing, that will be so disorienting that we'll sort of forget that I rammed into you, you.
Speaker 2: Know, or what I come out guns and blazing, I'm dombing you into just instinctively saying the word sorry.
Speaker 1: Sorry. I know it's a classic. It's a tangled web we weave. So when you got into your friender mender, how did the driver emotionally deal with it? Your driver, the one that was the driver of your.
Speaker 4: Car, I would say, quite well, quite calmly. I mean we were team calm team. And yeah, there was this like, I mean, it was shocking, and I actually had a little bit of anger about it because you know, you're just like.
Speaker 5: What what the hell? What were you doing? What were you thinking?
Speaker 1: What were you doing?
Speaker 4: Because it was like truly someone who didn't see us, So it was like, you know, you're you're not paying attention and all that kind of thing. But yeah, I would say my driver was incredibly calm.
Speaker 1: That's good, and yeah got.
Speaker 5: Through it, which which is kind of a nice thing.
Speaker 1: Was it a romantic partner.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh it was no way they handled it was like amazing because I when it happened, I was like, is you breathe it?
Speaker 1: Like I don't know? So fender bender. It also brings to mind gender bender. Yeah, what do you think of gender bending?
Speaker 5: What do I think of gender bending?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Against it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have to choose your four. Oh why.
Speaker 4: The people at d'Artagnan, they explained the concept d'Artagnan taught you about gender bending in a sense, do they like label their chickens sort of like, oh, it's not so black and white, George. I hate to burst your bubble, but there's actually way more to it than labeling chicken one thing or another.
Speaker 2: That's the way that a chicken produce. Okay, yeah, just.
Speaker 4: Read a book, because we don't do that kind of thing at'agnan. We actually have a pretty pretty fluid way of behaving.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it really is on me. I assumed that the only way a poultry purveyor would engage with sex and gender is via labeling chi and that's where you're wrong. But instead there there's more of a narrative.
Speaker 1: Hit the books. Hit the books. Okay, I apologize, Wow, d'Art dugnay, I.
Speaker 5: Tell you something also, and you can cut this.
Speaker 1: You checked your phone just in case, trying to check where we're time wise, Is.
Speaker 5: There time for me to tell you this?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay?
Speaker 4: So you frequently bring up the John Didion quote we tell ourselves stories in order to live. Yes, so I thought of this the other day uh, and what do you think of this?
Speaker 5: We feed ourselves turkey in order to live.
Speaker 1: You can put the alt comedian in a drama film, but you cannot take the alt comedian out of the alt comedian. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: That makes perfect sense to me? Non stop, NonStop, They were laughing, laughing.
Speaker 1: Did you think about starting a podcast with any of them? No?
Speaker 5: But I'm told often.
Speaker 1: To start a podcast.
Speaker 2: Did you ever think of kind of taking the crying scene in a more comedic direction? So it's just you know, you're having a conversation and suddenly you.
Speaker 1: Go wow, wow, yeah, did you ever think about that?
Speaker 4: Well, we did that to get it out of the way, just to have options totally.
Speaker 1: But then that's the take they used. Yeah really yeah, Now a silly one, they said.
Speaker 4: Now a silly one. What's the one they they would say for Parks and rec the what's the what do they say? It's like the improv take.
Speaker 2: Interesting you think we know what is going on behind the scenes of Parks and Rest.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sorry, you were just talking for twenty minutes about Portugal the man and you don't know about Parks and rat I'm sorry you're talking to everyone podcast man you're ranking indie bands from.
Speaker 5: Two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: You think everyone who knows Portugal the Man also loves.
Speaker 5: There's a park ven diagram and I'm willing to put money on it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Yeah, you know it's interesting.
Speaker 2: In the moment, maybe there was an opposition between people who like Portugal demand and people who like parks and rec But as they've gotten older, they we admit, No, Portugal the Man in parks and rec are the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say, but they had like a fun, fun run or something like that.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I bet Rashooda Jones absolutely killed it during those takes.
Speaker 4: Hey, that.
Speaker 1: Should we do our final segment? Yeah, our next guest will be here in roughly ten minutes. Okay, but like we don't have to say that. It's like I'm here now. No, the listeners don't have to know that. Oh, we got to get her out of here. Nice job in your little movie. We gotta get her out of here. We gotta clean up this chair she's been sitting on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I made a mess, so what.
Speaker 1: So what is it?
Speaker 3: A woman?
Speaker 1: Not a woman's right?
Speaker 2: Is what here?
Speaker 1: Making a mess? Making a mess?
Speaker 2: You do you think it is a woman's right to make a mess.
Speaker 5: Well behaved women have you ever heard of this?
Speaker 1: Make a mess? They make a mess. Do you know? One time my friend Helen Ella Hunt, Helen Hunt, she's.
Speaker 5: A luge her Christmas party.
Speaker 2: Huge bitch. So my friend Helen, actually I've heard she's lovely Helen Hunt. But that's not what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Of course you're talking about Helen Hunt. I'm yes, Helen Hunt. Yeah, we know, we know, and is not a bitch. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my friend Helen one time she was talking to this woman who had a baby. I wait to hear this. Okay, the baby was a girl whoa Okay, so the baby was crying, it was crying. The mom goes, she's not. Oh no, the baby wasn't crying. The baby was being very good. And the mom goes, she's very well behaved. And so my friend Helen goes, I guess she'll never make history, thinking it would be like a really funny thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If the mom looks at her, dead eyed, blank is like, she will make history? What she will make history?
Speaker 1: This baby is going to make it.
Speaker 5: If I was her mother, I'd say she will make history.
Speaker 2: The mom is like it's as though she had never considered that her baby, on account.
Speaker 1: Of being well behaved, will never make history.
Speaker 4: It took me a really long time to actually understand that quote, if you think about it, because I was like, wait, how.
Speaker 1: Well, it's definitely open to interpretation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not to not to bring rancor to me.
Speaker 1: It's pretty straightforward. So you think women can do anything bad and that's good. I don't think that's what the quote implies.
Speaker 2: I think it's saying well behaved women right rarely make history. It's not saying women that are not well behaved always make history or women that are not well behaved are always good. It's simply saying the ones that are well behaved, they're going to go ahead and not make history. Okay, Eileen Waros, that's who said it.
Speaker 1: She made history.
Speaker 5: I think her behaviors in the eye of the beholder.
Speaker 1: Her behaviors in the eye of the.
Speaker 4: Beholder well, and many people would argue well behaved, a lot of people argue not well.
Speaker 2: So it is one of those neutral statements.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because I think Madeline Albright said it, and it's like, is that wrong?
Speaker 1: Beats me?
Speaker 5: I thought it was Claudia Shiffer.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought it was Claudia Shiffer who said that.
Speaker 2: Lydia Schiffer in Medling all right, got together it is said it's time to maximize our joined slagh. They coined that it was Kadia Shiffer Madeline Albright. They were hosting the podcast together called Get out of This Room. I Gotta get like them, and and and she said, well, behave women rarely make history that is completely morally neutral. By the way, it means like a woman who is a murderer will make history. Of course, So where do you Where do we stand? Where do we Where does that leave us? It's kind of like if you, let's say you're a tech entrepreneur, you say my goal is to change the world. Disrupt that could disrupt Those are morally neutral statements. That could mean you're going to say, it doesn't seem so neutral.
Speaker 1: Disrupt good or disrupt bad? Yeah, you could disrupt good or disrupt you think.
Speaker 5: In case maybe something's been disrupted.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I'll find my way on that phrase.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: So what do you think of the phrase check please? That I relate to more, I really relate to.
Speaker 4: That yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it just it's easier for me to kind of comprehend what's going on there situationally, and that might be my acting background or something like that.
Speaker 5: I'm dropped into a scene, Well.
Speaker 1: It combines your acting background and your comedy background. Yeah, finally, where I can.
Speaker 5: It's a sketch, it's a scene and whatever, my what's my motivation?
Speaker 3: Where have I been?
Speaker 1: Where am I going? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Check?
Speaker 1: Please check please? Speaking of check, please, we should do a final segment. Okay, So our final segment is called shout outs, and in the stement we pay allmash to the grand straight tradition of the radio shout out and shout out anything that we enjoy. People, places, things, ideas, and we make them up on the spot. Do you have one? I have one, but it's kind of I'm like embarrassed by it preemptively, but you go ahead.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's up music lovers and Apple Music subscrib I want to give a shout out to Yeba and her new album Gene pretty much. This girl actually has something called integrity, which I thought was endangered. I thought that we had banned that the second Donald Trump rose in the ranks and came into office, but it turns out some select people in the world still have it, and they are able to release music that is actually good and not following trends. They're able to say thank you for your input, Mark Ronson, but I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: This one myself.
Speaker 2: They are able to be normal and not trend chasing and making TikTok dances viral to promote their album, and they are able to be Yeba. And so I want to say shout out to Yeba and shout out to everything you do and continue to do, and shout out to specifically the song West Memphis that I have been really enjoying on the album Gene by Yeba, the artist Whoop.
Speaker 1: What's Up, Freak Souris and perverse around the globe. I have sort of an opposite shout out, and that is very on the trend chasing side. I would like to give a shout out to the group known as Fuckers, but it's spelled that one way. Fc uk er s I, you know, finally a group that makes fun dance music and seems to not give a f these This chica who's in charge is so bored, so lazy. I say thank you. Finally someone is cool again. I feel a bit, I must say. Oh listening to it, and it's like one of those things where if I was twenty three, i'd know i'd like have really strong opinions about whether they sucked or whether they were good. But I right now, I'm not that age, and in fact, I'm much older than that, and I think, you know what, who gives a f If this girl can be lazy and sing whatever, then I can be lazy in my critique and just say what a blast. I'm having fun. It makes me feel like I'm in New York City and I am out at the club, having wearing my little sunglasses and drinking my little drinks. So shout out to fuckers. I don't know if that's how you pronounce it or if there's a different way, And I'm sorry that that's their name. I didn't choose it. Xoxo Sam. Wow, Hey listeners, what's up.
Speaker 5: It's me Amy Zimmer and I wanted to say.
Speaker 4: I have to say right off bat that we've talked joked a lot about AI and I can't say that I'm quite interested in it, but I have to give a quick shout out to the weird reels I've been seeing of strawberries getting intimistic situations.
Speaker 5: I have been seeing a lot of that stuff lately.
Speaker 4: And it is shocking and mind blowing to see strawberries having an affair with mangoes, blueberries, eggplants and more.
Speaker 5: Oh God, some of these women are single mothers.
Speaker 4: They are raising children without much support, and I think we need to be kinder to them. From the stories that I have seen, these women need to be absolutely lifted up. And I think these reels should ultimately stop. But I have to shout out because they are in my brain at the moment. And then lastly, want to give a quick shout out to George and Sam. It's always something with them and I'm you know, an honor to be a guest once again and shout out blue Hair and April seventeen, April.
Speaker 1: Seventeen, Well, this has been such a true treat. The chemistry is electric and every time you know, you think you don't have it and then you just start talking sad. Damn there it is so wow. Excited to see the film.
Speaker 2: It's so good And if I can be ernest for a second, Amy, I'm so proud of you, and I really I was really blown away by the film, and I've been thinking about it's one of the ones that really sticks with you. Let's say that it ends and you're saying that's going to come back to haunt me at a moment I don't even expect.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you well, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Podcast ends now for our visual earners. You can watch full video episodes on our YouTube channel and.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month.
Speaker 2: At patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 1: Stradio Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by me George Severs and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Jenna Cagel, co produced by Becca Ramos.
Speaker 2: Edited by Laurence Stumpf, and mixed and mastered by Doug Bain.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Michael Fails and Matt Grubb. Theme music by Ben Kling.