Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's just you.
Speaker 3: Gilmore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 4: It is a bright, sunshiny day for me, and how is it for you?
Speaker 2: Little? It is the word I would call it a little gray. The sun came out, then it's great. Then the sun came out. It's not fog. I have fog here? Does everyone in the country have fog?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that's like a coast thing. Like do you get fog in Colorado?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to know.
Speaker 1: I do not have the answer to that. Actually, do not know the answer to that either, am I You went to school in Colorado? Is there fog in Colorado? No?
Speaker 3: So fog is.
Speaker 1: A coastal thing, okay, Okay?
Speaker 3: Is also also like with like the farm, farmland and stuff. Because I had fog growing up.
Speaker 1: But you're you're you grew up in California.
Speaker 3: Nowhere, you're in the coast though, I'm like two hours from the coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think there's fog on the there's fog on the five. I don't hmm. I'm gonna have to this very very in Missouri. Let's try that is there fog in Missouri? There are a few areas of patchy the dense fog this morning. So there's fog everywhere.
Speaker 1: Okaybody you see those those photos of like fog in the mountains.
Speaker 2: Now I'm doing is there fog in Japan? Just to see?
Speaker 1: Oh, there's definitely fog in Japan. It's a freaking island. Eventually, Yeah, are really in the middle.
Speaker 2: Kentucky, Kentucky. You know what I already did, Kentucky. Is there fog in Nashville? It's just can't tell me big the weather right.
Speaker 1: Now, everyone's screaming at us.
Speaker 2: Call I guess fog is universal? What is fog?
Speaker 1: What is a condensation? And I'm sure it's a.
Speaker 2: Cloud at ground level? So everybody has clouds at ground level. God, We're dumb, we are.
Speaker 1: It's all right. You know what we learned. We learned something today.
Speaker 2: Right, This is the thing. Thanks for joining us for listen if you want to. This is the kind of stuff you're going to get when we launch. Listen if you want to. But this is the Gilmore Girls Gazette, and I am on a mission. Let me tell you what that mission is. Listen at Gilmore Girls fans.
Speaker 1: Is it the very first thing on our rundown?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I sent this in the group text yesterday because everyone's like, what do you want to talk about? And this is what I want to talk about. Why isn't Matt Zukri on television right now? Like what's going on?
Speaker 1: Amen?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like can we get him a new show? Like why not? Why isn't he on nine to one one Nashville.
Speaker 4: I completely agree with you. And also, you know, we have a tight relationship with Matt Zukri and he is always willing to come on. But his thing is, oh, come on when you know I got a show.
Speaker 1: I have a project, you know, a project to talk about, and he always does. But he doesn't have a show right now, which is blocking us from speaking to Maud Chicago med, I don't watch those doctor shows? You do what other shows?
Speaker 2: He would be great on all of these shows.
Speaker 4: I want to you know what, I want to see him in a rom com a lah Chad Michael Murray Like.
Speaker 2: Oh, I feel like that's too light fair for him. I feel like he's really er. I don't know, did you watch The Resident? I mean he was I did not watch The Resident, but I didn't want what Get on it? Get on it started immediately.
Speaker 4: Fun fact of all the shows that he's been an outside of Gilmore Girls, of course he was in one episode seventh Happened, and.
Speaker 1: I did watch.
Speaker 2: What year was that?
Speaker 1: Two thousand and two?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is so random.
Speaker 1: I know one episode one little measly out.
Speaker 2: Also we pulled his bio. What was Young Americans? Hold On Americans? I think this was a show I liked.
Speaker 1: Really Gilmore Girls was like his thing, and then the Like That's what catapulted him, and then The Good the Good Wife, the Resident.
Speaker 2: What was Young Americans? Young Americans was a television show on the WB. The main character, Will Kradisky, was introduced late in season three of Dawson's Creek as a friend of Pacy's. I want to talk about Paycy in a second, though. Weirdly, this gives me an opening to talk about Pacey. The show explores themes of forbidden love. I've never heard of this Young Americans. Weird Let's talk about Pacey.
Speaker 1: Can I just say one thing really quick?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: When was Young Americans? And I looked at our notes and it was the year two thousand. In the year two thousand year two thousand. In my head, I said, Oh, that's kind of recent. And then I said, oh, no, no, no, no, no, Danielle, it has been twenty five years.
Speaker 2: I know people my age, when you talk about the eighties, we think it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: It's insane. And that's where you feel about the nineties. If you grew up in the nineties.
Speaker 2: What year were you born? Nineteen ninety, so you don't know anything about like growing pains, give me a break, Family Ties Cosby Show.
Speaker 1: I mean I know all those things. Did I watch it? No? I did not. I was of the era of Blues Clues.
Speaker 2: Back to the Future, meaning, do.
Speaker 1: You like I have you watched Blues Barney?
Speaker 2: That's so like we watched Sesame Street and Mister Rogers. There was no Blues Clues. Wait, did you have you seen Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: I've seen Back to the Future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not in a movie theater.
Speaker 1: Not in a movie theater. No, Theonies mean to you.
Speaker 4: The Okay, I'll tell you what the Goonies mean to me. A girl on my softball team, her grandfather was in, Uh.
Speaker 1: The Goonies, love It, Stop It, and my dad would freak out about it.
Speaker 2: I want to with chunk. But do you know who her grandfather was?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, hold on, I know, I remember their last name. Let me just while you do that.
Speaker 2: What I also want to know is, what does sixteen Candles mean to you? Don't say nothing.
Speaker 1: Robert Dove was the guy who Robert Dove is leg for Kelly. That was her grandfather.
Speaker 2: Yeah, legit, super legit. He was not a nice guy in the movie.
Speaker 1: My dad geeked out over him.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait yeah, what does sixteen candles mean to you? Breakfast Club?
Speaker 1: Breakfast Club? I did watch. I love the Breakfast Club. Sixteen Candles, I you know, obviously have heard and.
Speaker 2: Know nothing about it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean anything Breakfast Club does. Though I love the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: That is so sad. Sixteen candles is like my life so good. By the way, this is not an ad that I'm about to say the faroughface. This is not an ad, you guys. This is just me that Oh it's like a massage for your face, and it's expensive, but it's worth every penny. He's just think every day I'm doing the there our face while we do this show, because I think I'll be better at the show because my face will be said, I'm doing the hot.
Speaker 1: You know who you remind me that.
Speaker 2: Although we'd be happy to advertise for them because it's so.
Speaker 1: Good you know who you remind me of, this will mean nothing to you. So let me just flip the table for all those Real Housewives of Beverly Hills fans out there that are listening. Is giving me sut In with her little nurse Jamie her roller or something that she would do in the middle of the show just to just get it out.
Speaker 2: And first of all, I'd be the most boring Real Housewives. But if I was on Real Housewives, I would do this all the time during it to help my stress. I'd be so boring because I'd be like, what kind of drama you getting into? And I'd be like cookies and Netflix, thank you so much. Okay, so here are some exciting news which this You guys may have heard this, but we just wanted to reiterate it. Lauren Graham says it'd be a dream come true to work with Rachel Brosnahan and I'm into that. Into that. Yeah, Are you as excited for Superman as I am? Like, I will be in the theater opening day. You will not. That is rude.
Speaker 1: You know what I do want to be in the theater for and I feel the New Jurassic Park me too negative. Freak your Friday.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm gonna I'm going to disagree, but respect it. I will not be their opening day, but I respect it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no again, nineties girl, Freaky Friday was Freaky.
Speaker 2: Friday to me? Is still Jodi Foster on the water.
Speaker 1: Skis definitely Lindallahan, but I'm excited for it.
Speaker 2: I think it's I actually think the switchback happened while they were on water skis. I feel like maybe Jodie Foster was water skiing and then the switched back happened and it was her mom. Trivia, no idea? Who played the mom? Somebody look that up. I'll do it. I'll do it. I need to know who played the mom. And then I want to talk about Superman a little bit more because Shawn Gunn is also in Superman. Okay, who played the mom? People love to hear you Google. This is something they'd love to hear. They're like, you know what I want to do is hear these teams Google who played the mom in the original Harris, thank you for being faster Googler whoever did that?
Speaker 1: Jack?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk more about Superman. The trailer is amazing, pretty excited. We're gonna have the dog. I couldn't name the guy playing Superman because he seems kind of like out of nowhere, but I can name Lois and that's Rachel Brosnahan. And then also Sean Gunn is in it, and I think his brother gave him permission to say that he's in one scene. Seawn Gunn recently confirmed that he's kind of in the reboot. He got permission from his brother, who wrote the screenplay and directs it. Maxwell Lord is Sean Gunn, I believe, and he's in one scene in the movie. So there's sort of a milding of the world with Rachel Brosnahan and Sean Gunn. We're bringing Mazel and Gilmour together. Superman is played by a guy named David corn Sweat, and that's great. He looks cool. I would have preferred more of a Matt Boehmer type, but that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you like those Marvels that like marvel stuff?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I don't. I'm not super into Avengers but I love, don't like whatever the one is x Men. I love x Men.
Speaker 1: Oh, x Men is great.
Speaker 2: X Men is great, but I love Superman like Universe. Right, so I go back to the original Superman. I like the one where it was Brandon Routh. I don't even hate that one. But I like the Henry cavill Ones. Yeah, yeah, I love the Superman genre. Jackie is correcting, it's DC, so maybe I'm more of a d seagirl the Wonder Woman's I prefer the Linda.
Speaker 1: Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not. I don't watch those.
Speaker 1: I would like to Easton on. Our team is obsessed.
Speaker 2: Well, and Guardians of the Galaxy is James Gunn, who's now doing Superman s Shawn gun Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is.
Speaker 2: Who is Sean?
Speaker 1: He's like the raccoon.
Speaker 2: That's what I was wondering.
Speaker 1: Is he the raccoon?
Speaker 2: Why do I think Vin Diesel was hold on?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Gred, Am I wrong? Yeah? Vin Diesel's grew the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh you're wrong. Bradley Cooper's the raccoon, So you are wrong?
Speaker 1: So then which one? Sean Gunn he's like a little rat.
Speaker 2: He's definitely a little rat.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I thought he was the raccoon.
Speaker 2: He's Craglin, Obon Fona.
Speaker 1: None of the animals.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, not to do a crazy segue. And we have a special guest today too, so let us know what our guest is here. But I wanted to give you seven things you don't know about Paul Anka found this little ditty in Rewind magazine. Doing my re search, he discovered some of Today's biggest music stars Booblaz, Corey Hart. Now I beg to say that today's biggest music stars and then saying Corey Hart, I like sunglasses is night also, but that's not from today sunglasses. Can you do you know Corey Hart?
Speaker 1: Yes, I know Corey Hart, like Pink's husband.
Speaker 2: No, that's carry Hart. Oh, Corey Hart. It's all good, It's all good.
Speaker 1: Corey Hart's I want to freaking rule today, guy.
Speaker 2: Get out your therapface song. Guys, the raccoon Shawn Guns not the raccoon, and Carry Hart is not Corey Hart. But Corey Hart had a big hit I wear my sunglasses at night. Does that ring a bell to you at all?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Wherem sulasses and my legit. He wrote the song Diana for his eighteen year old babysitter. Now let me tell you never heard the song Diana, But now that I know it was for the babysitter, makes me want to listen.
Speaker 1: Okay, should we look up some lyrics? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Feels a little tawdry. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: Paul Anka dang.
Speaker 2: Jinka canposed the theme song for The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. I did know that. Fun fact, Lonely Boy was written for his mother who passed away. That's sad. There's a street named after him in Canada, in Ottawa, Canada.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, drive, you're gonna diet too, Lara.
Speaker 2: Is the song Diana Todd? Is it tawdry?
Speaker 1: I just read you the first line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, read me like the first few.
Speaker 4: I'm so young and you're so old. This, my darling, I've been told I don't care just what they say, because forever I will pray you and I will be as free as the birds up in the trees.
Speaker 1: Oh please stay buy me Diana, Saucy, Saucy.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that Garth Brooks song where that you can tell the young guy sleeps with the older lady thrills.
Speaker 4: I get when you hold me close. Oh, my darling, you are the most I love you, but don't but do you love me? Oh Diana, can't you see?
Speaker 2: Oh dirty woo, it's giving me creepy meats. All right, maybe nothing happened, but he just had the crushy on the babysitter.
Speaker 1: This is oh no, well, ain'taa take this down? Change the lyric.
Speaker 2: Well, it's fine if you don't know that it was for the babysitter.
Speaker 1: Right, But now that you know, the song has been ruined.
Speaker 2: But we don't know that anything happened.
Speaker 1: It's still weird, is it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like the.
Speaker 1: Okay, the babysitter's not fine. I guess you always do have a crush on your babysitter, or like your teacher or whatever.
Speaker 2: I get caught for teacher. The baby didn't do anything fine. He wrote Puppy Love about his teenage romance with Annette Funachello. Do you know who that is?
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 2: The age difference is just glad one.
Speaker 1: Of the original Musketeers on the mixing Yes.
Speaker 2: And Nella was like so famous, you don't remember, like all those beach movies she did. I think she did them with Frankie Avalon.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Mickey Mouse Club is Brian Gosling just in timilarly Christina Aguilera. That is my Mickey Mouse. That is not a give, it's me, it's inn that.
Speaker 2: He also wrote my Way for Frank Sinatra.
Speaker 1: And those That is a great song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are fun facts about Paul Anka And you know what, thank you Remind magazine because that was good stuff. Remind Magazine also seems like a magazine i'd want to read because it's probably all about things from yesteryear. Do we have our special guest yet or not yet?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're five minutes time, Like.
Speaker 2: We might need to text her while we keep talking.
Speaker 1: We do have one.
Speaker 2: I have Jane Lynch News.
Speaker 1: I was gonna tell you that you're going to do it? Yeah, tell me all right. American Dad to debut mid season. Jane Lynch's Weakest Link and Fear Factor reboot lead unscripted slate for this for the fall schedule. Yeah, so Jane Lynch's week Link. We'll move over from NBC to Fox. How does that work from a network?
Speaker 2: Okay, here's how I can tell you how that works. This is my best explanation. So say Weakest Link. I actually think Weakest Link is produced by BBC. Right, you know our friend Ryan O'Dowd. Yeah, yeah, so he's over there at BBC, so they make the show. NBC probably bought the show for let's say three years. I'm just making this. I'm making this up, but I'm giving you guys the gist. Right, Ryan will send me a text and I did it wrong, but I'll give you the gist. NBC may say, hey, we don't want Weakest Link anymore, and Fox picks it up. They say we'll take it. We're having great luck with game ships. Again, I'm making this up, giving examples. Now, there could be one other scenario. Say NBC bought it for three years and then it was a free agent. So NBC might be like, hey, we still want it, but Fox might be like, hey, we'll pay you a little bit more. All these kind of things can happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is so that.
Speaker 7: I guess it's just not that common where they switch from you know, nine one one, the original nine one one with Peter Krauzer was on Fox and then it switched to ABC.
Speaker 1: I really need to buy one of those therap face things. So I'm watching you.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, guys, it's worth the money. I think it was seventy dollars. And again, not an ad. I know it seems like we're doing an ad, but we're not. Because I just have a lot of stress right now and I had to go to the dentist this morning before this. If that's not stressful, and this is a calm some a face down their face.
Speaker 1: I literally it's like it's.
Speaker 2: Made by like, oh no, I think this is the theor body. I think it's called thera face. Also, I don't know the Yeah, their face depuffing wand it's like the thera gun.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you an honest question. Does it work outside of anxiety? Does it work with a deep puff?
Speaker 2: Let me show you. So, I'm gonna switch to the cold. Now, witch into the cold. Look at me. Oh Don is here, Bring her in, Bring her in. She can learn about this too. Okay, So do you see see how I have that line? Can you see that? Okay, I'm gonna put the cold on it. Wait till you see this. It will work like magic in front of your eyes. So see how I'm doing this. We're welcoming our guest, Hi, Donna, let me tell you what we're doing right now. This is not an ad. I have the Therah face from Therah body.
Speaker 1: She's been doing the whole show with us.
Speaker 2: I'm doing the ice thing. Look at the line under my eye.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm gonna buy it.
Speaker 2: I'm literally it has gone. You guys, this thing is so awesome.
Speaker 3: It looks like a Bingo marker.
Speaker 2: It's just like a Bingo marker you raw does. But look at the difference. So this one we've not done and this one I have done. Can you guys see the difference.
Speaker 1: It's hard to tell over zoom, but I'm out here for it.
Speaker 2: Let me introduce Donna. Donna. Also, we are partnering with start TV. But let me tell you, guys, this was not part of it having Donna on. We're having Donna on solely because I need to ask her so many questions about start TV. Here is what I need to know. First of all, Donna, what is your title at start TV?
Speaker 3: I'm head of content.
Speaker 2: Oh this is why. Okay, Donna, you are everything? Do you pick all the shows that you all air?
Speaker 3: I do with a consensus. We have a team. So the idea is talk about what fits best for each network we have and brand we have.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a genius because again apologies that until you started having Gilmore Girls, I was not familiar with start TV. But once I learned you had Gilmore Girls, I.
Speaker 1: Said, we're in.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna dig a little deeper on this network. Is it called a network or it's called a network?
Speaker 3: Right, because you're a network, good old fashioned network cable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is everything. It is all my women shows that I love so much. Okay, medium Patricia Arquette before severance. Let me tell you, Patricia Arkett.
Speaker 3: We have a few Patricia Arquettes. You have two, we have two. We have her Classic, which it only lasted a season, but it's an amazing series that does really well. CSI Cyber Oh it was the one CSI that was one and done.
Speaker 1: Amy loves the CSI.
Speaker 2: I live for all these shows, right, I did all the CSIS. So can you give me the theory behind Star TV and obviously Gilmore Girls five and eleven, which we'll get into.
Speaker 4: And when she says five and eleven, I mean that it airs at five and eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody they know that. People know. Was the intention always like, let's create a network with these powerful women leading these shows one.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent, one hundred percent. So you have to think in the television landscape, there's all these network and they all have niches and themes and that nature, and there were female driven networks. Those were your lifetimes and you know at one point Oxygen and things of that nature. Yeah, but as Cable per se, right, we're at OTT We're a digit net but in the same family. But as Cable and these networks started to mature, they started losing their identities a little bit. You know, Lifetime went to the original movie Vein and Oxygens to resonate with crime. But the idea for Start was there's all these great classic TV shows that doesn't have a library and doesn't have a home. So Start was built at bringing all of these strong female lad you know, at the time, procedural dramas and as you can say, film were worth standing that, but it was to find a home for these classics. Like when you watch these shows back to back to back, you realize one how amazing actually they are, but also that like no one's actually brought them all together. They were all splintered. Some were on CBS, some were on Turners, some were here and there.
Speaker 1: That is a great point. That is a great point.
Speaker 2: That's what I love and I so once I learned about it. You kind of pop it on and you can just let it go all Sunday Major Crimes, which was the spin off from The Closer.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And her name is out of my head right now. But I loved her.
Speaker 3: From Dancing Wolves.
Speaker 2: Oh you love her from Dancing with the Wolf.
Speaker 3: Dancing with Wolves.
Speaker 2: Kevin Costler, Yes, does she marry Kevin?
Speaker 3: She Kevin Costers like only in the movie, in the movie right they went off, you know, to the tpee together. She had great her in that movie.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 2: First of all, I love her from Battlestar Galactica. Yeah, so good, okay, But the piece to resistance for me is that you air The Good Wife. Yes, I mean, first of all, let's bring it all around, as we like to do. Matt Zubery still girls, was on The Good Wife. He plays Carrie. He's amazing. The Good Wife is so dang good.
Speaker 3: You know, it sounds crazy. It's one of those and obviously it has spun off, but it's one of those, like I always feel like it was ahead of its time, totally it's just a good, good show.
Speaker 2: And for people like me that are night owls, this is what is pretty iconic about Star TV. You can literally do your Gilmore Girls. You can have Cold Case, you get The Good Wife Crazily, you guys have the Drew Barrymore show, which I kind of love. Also. I mean it's like it's kind of comfort food for women at Start TV. And I'm not again, we are not, this is not this is not something we had to do to have you on. We wanted to.
Speaker 3: And if you see like Start after Dark, I mean that's not a term, but we'll just coin it that for the second it is. It's a little bit more of a little bit of a generational shift, right the people who love The Good Wife love Drew Barrymore. You see that it's more than night owls. It's for you know, women, I would say, X little Bank. You know there's faces that are recognize that that is comfort food Gilmore Girls. There is a little bit of a pattern there for people who were flipping the channels late at night, which, to be honest with you, we still do. And like, what can I find?
Speaker 2: So what made you guys want to have Gilmore Girls? And what made everybody sit in that room and go, you know what this works for us?
Speaker 3: You know it? Honestly, it's a classic. It is a classic, I mean five year old classic.
Speaker 2: That so weird to say that.
Speaker 3: Because I remember watching them in premieres. But it's one of those when you look at the landscape and again the evolution of programming and female lead programming, this is one of these core pillars from their early aughts. That's that's a piece of this. So again with the evolution of programming, and you can see there are female lead shows. We can go into poker Face and all of.
Speaker 2: That, that's right, right, right, but the average.
Speaker 3: Led programming changed in the ads and this was really one of those pillars. And so you can't have a female lead channel without these pillars, and this is one of them. And we have a more coming.
Speaker 2: So are you like, how do you decide? Are you watching TV or watching DVDs or going, oh, this is something we want to try to get.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a mixture. It's what's available and what you know will work with your audience. Yeah, so it's a combination. So the idea is this is this is a show we've talked about for years, we were able to acquire it from Warner Brothers and it was go time. So there's a lot of conversations, a lot of thought process behind, like what's right for the channel, what's available, and how do we get it and when can we get it?
Speaker 2: And then do you get to do also get involved if like with the five and eleven right, so that you're like, hey, this feels like the time that we should have kilmore, which I personally love the eleven o'clock because I can pop the channel on. I'm doing my you know, cause I'm still up at that point doing my eyock.
Speaker 3: Audiences that are watching you guys have nailed it right. So eleven o'clock is a little bit more for the night owls, right, it's for the people who want the wind down comfort programming. And then the five PM traditionally is before dinnertime. Let me get a show in what you know, what's available, So it's two different audience in plays. And then we have a twist coming in June. Jennie's for another piece is that we're actually going to stack the show on Saturdays, so for people who just want to binge in the moment for them also, so also.
Speaker 4: Especially like on Saturdays when you're like cleaning the house and you just need that thing on TV.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now this is a hard question for a network executive like yourself. We want you to know we will all play. We play, we play this game a lot on three favorite shows of all time doesn't have to be on your network. It's okay. Let's even say exclude the shows on your network so that the game was more fun, because I get you would feel obligated and will exclude Gilmore Girls because we will all say Gilmore Girls.
Speaker 3: I would, So this is funny. So I actually taught a class. I was a guest speaker at a class at NYU a couple of weeks ago and was asked the same question. And you know, God blessed twenty year old. They all looked at me like, what.
Speaker 2: Right, we will know? We will know.
Speaker 3: So my all time favorites are you know, I'm an eighties kid, So there's a mixture in there, but it's China Beach is up there?
Speaker 2: Oh, China Beach. That would be really good on your network.
Speaker 3: I tried to convince my wife to name our oldest McMurphy that was why McMurphy Colleen McMurphy.
Speaker 2: Pre Desperate Housewives, Dana Delaney, Oh yes, yes, Oh my gosh, we should we need to have dinner because I could talk to you about TV time.
Speaker 3: Okay, keep going thirty something, Michael and Hope forever.
Speaker 2: See this is again. I need to go back and do thirty something and where you. I was so bummed when they were going to do that reboot and then it didn't happen. I know, but I never really watched all of these, Like I know all of them, and I watched bits and bobs, but I never sat down, So these might be my new binges.
Speaker 3: Okay, number three, you know what, I'm gonna leave that one open because there's so many and it's to me. I like shows that push limits and push like you can see shows that are that push the genre forward. I know that sounds crazy, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so mine are Sex and the City, West Wing, Walking Dead.
Speaker 1: You guys are gonna hate me, and by the.
Speaker 3: Way, all shows that push to Donalds.
Speaker 2: Yes, I agree with you. Wait till we hear Danielle's though. Wait, buckle up.
Speaker 1: Don Okay. The only one you might have respect for is this is us it's one of my favorites of all time.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll give you that.
Speaker 1: The other I have to put Laguna Beach on there.
Speaker 3: I just have to.
Speaker 1: I have to.
Speaker 3: I give you respect.
Speaker 5: It pushed the genre, all right, yes, true, fair enough, And I literally googled the best shows of all time and I'm like trying to see am Like those are the two that I can say without a doubt, and the third.
Speaker 1: One I'm having a hard time putting in there.
Speaker 2: I think because you're like a nineties kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Waiting for like a Nickelodeon show to show up.
Speaker 2: I was waiting.
Speaker 1: Me, but yeah, I live you know what. I was at the Mary Kane Ashley era.
Speaker 3: But I combo about them yesterday and they're direct to video? Uh series?
Speaker 2: Wait, which one?
Speaker 3: Mary Kate Nashley?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I know, because we're I'm almost seventies right, So like there's some shows like we were talking about Wonder Woman earlier that even though it's not like the best show A night writer like those kind of shows really I really was in when I was a kid, like, ah, this is so cool and I want her powers and I want that car and all that kind of vibe. But I can go love Boat, Dynasty, Fantasy Island, all those shows that you're like, WHOA, what's happening here?
Speaker 1: It wasn't a show. I always say this, if I Harry Potter was a like a big thing. It was not a show, but it was you know, they were all it was like a movie series. I was took over my entire generation. So I will go ahead and throw Harry Potter in there.
Speaker 3: It is. But you think about that, You think about all these touch points and how content like there's moments in pop culture. There's moments in these series where they go beyond just being something you've watched. Yeah, I'm very, very big into like what forms of content have touch points out in pop culture? It's this is this is going off topic for a quick set.
Speaker 2: It's not I love it. We love it because we're TV people, and our people listening have so much passion for Gilmore Girls. But obviously they know that it expands beyond. So keep going.
Speaker 3: No, you know, someday I always like I went and got to went to grad school. But someday I always talk about that I'm going to teach a course at a university. It's my dream is to teach a course about how pop culture influences business decisions.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 3: I love that and particularly like video content pop culture.
Speaker 1: I would take that class if I was well.
Speaker 2: And we know how much it influences fashion for sure, Like there's no denying it.
Speaker 3: You know, I worked at Bravo when the original project came out.
Speaker 2: Danielle just fell in love.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I worked at NBC for a while and Bravo. I was doing events in marketing.
Speaker 4: Bravo is what I consume on a daily basis, like Summer house Housewives, literally any the Valley, any show that you put on Bravo, I consume it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's someday we'll have to go into the whole. My tenure at Bravo was even before this, but it was Queer Eye through Housewives of Atlanta. Yeah, so I was in the sweet spot. And I have to give credit to Lorence Alasnik and the architecture behind the brand that you know today, like she set that groundwork twenty years ago.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. As we're talking, you do realize you get your favorite For people that still have you know, cable direct TV like I have, you get your channels and it's USA for me or Bravo for Danielle. And that's why I really think Star TV is onto something because, like I said, you just want your go to you know, I just turn on CNN in the morning and leave it on. When you don't want news, you go to star TV. You know that you're going to have something kind of just rolling through that.
Speaker 3: You like one hundred percent, right. I think that people don't realize how much a brand identity represents people, Like your viewing habits is your identity in a lot of ways, and a brand amplifies that. And so for start Right, and we can go into female empowerment, we can go into like the comfortness of it. And these women that are going against the odds, right, they're in these roles, right, the written traditional roles that weren't meant for them traditionally, and they're they're the heroes. They're solving these crimes totally speaking on for others. And so that is a brand identity that is something that I think is not necessarily always reflected, and to see that reflected back is really important. And I think that's what this channel represents and a lot of.
Speaker 2: Them wait before we let you go what do you think of rewatch podcasts in general? I would love your opinion on all these podcasts like ours and these podcasts that have become so popular rewatching these.
Speaker 3: I think they're brilliant. I think they allow for for people who have a passion to actually go and communicate and listen. And I actually have a question for you guys in a second, because this is the place to have that conversation. Like, I love the fact that people are diving in deeper. There's actually a platform to do that. It used to be, you know, you'd go on a forum, you go on a message board, you write about it.
Speaker 2: Maybe once a year you get to go to Paileyfast or something like that, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, like no one really. This made television much more consumable and for lack of a better word, like touchable. Right, Like people now, so you know, they'd get a TV guide and read a puff piece of an article, right, things of that nature, but they wouldn't be able to have really in depth conversations with people who, for lack of a better word, knew what they were talking about, because you couldn't go and write to the producer and say, hey, what was your thought behind this? Episode and you know, blah blah blah. Now you can now you can have that deep dive analysis which proved that people really want it.
Speaker 2: It's really fascinating too, and we can do this another day. But the conversation about why certain shows work for a rewatch podcast and why others don't, and why Gilmore Girls it just lends itself to podcast.
Speaker 3: It's the layers, right, the layers of that show, right, the look of somebody that this that you know, like there was elements in this show that people held onto, right, like even just like, for lack of better word, Rory's.
Speaker 6: Love Life, Right, you debate about it, debates about it every other week, but it's total that meant it held on, It meant something to people. That the bigger value is when it has those moments that people invited you into their home is one thing, but when they invite you into their life, it's totally different.
Speaker 2: Yes, when they rebuild Stars Hollow for the events they have at Warner Brothers, it's magical. It is like, I truly don't have another word for it than magical. It's like you really feel like you're there. It's Disneyland for Gilmour Girls. It is like, I am here, this is real, and they make they really leaned into making it real for you, and it's but it's it's like.
Speaker 3: It's an escapement, right, That's No one values escapement the way they should. That's what Universal Studios.
Speaker 2: Is, That's what Disney totally is totally.
Speaker 3: But those are different forms of escapement versus Again, I think something that's been brought into your home, something that you connect with with people on a different level, it has a different meaning. And I agree, Like you walk the Warner Studio a lot and just when you see, you know, the gazebo or something, you're.
Speaker 1: Like, totally imagine it.
Speaker 4: Forner Brothers had a theme park and there was a Girl's Land and friends Land. Oh I'm giving them a very good idea right now.
Speaker 2: Wait, I want to hear your I want to hear your question for us.
Speaker 3: I have a question for you. And this is bothered me from the get go. Scared. This is like trust me when I say I love the show, love the show, But the one question I have that has always.
Speaker 1: Stayed in Jess and Murray end up together is not your question.
Speaker 3: I still think it's Jess's baby. In the last Netflix Ron.
Speaker 2: See, I would like that, but I think it's Logan's I see, I'm team Logan. I'm sorry, I now people, I'm ess all the.
Speaker 3: Way I'm say so. My question to you guys is, and so Loralai was this strong independent, broke away from the family tradition and paved her own way. Came that strong independent raising a strong, independent, free thinking daughter, right, that was like the core of who she was. So my question to you is, and I don't know this, so maybe you know the answer, why did she give her daughter her name?
Speaker 2: Oh god, okay, that's not the question I thought you were going to ask.
Speaker 3: I have I That is the least independent thing I've ever thought of that character.
Speaker 2: They do address it briefly a couple times in the series too, but they never give I don't know that they ever give the why.
Speaker 1: I just want to I didn't expect that the question either.
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna talk about why do they make Rory so whack in the movies?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: Is it? Okay?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 2: Oh, here we have a Lorelai named Rory after herself for a feminist reason. This is from the World Wide Web. But you know, it's funny that because that you feel it was. I almost feel like it was empowering that she was so like, I did this. I'm on my own. I have this kid, and I'm proud of who I am, and I'm gonna name her after me.
Speaker 3: But see that's the thing. But she rejected that from her family.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, because they're all Laura lies.
Speaker 2: Because there's another right, because don't forget Mary and yeah, her third Laura Lot.
Speaker 3: It was just more off. She was like, I'm independent, I have my own voice, and it was this was a layer of but they're still connecticuting.
Speaker 2: You see. That's what I was gonna say to you.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to bring this to our Instagram. Everyone's gonna have to tell us why.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a great people upset.
Speaker 1: No, it's a valid point. The only thing that I can think of is they call her Rory, which I like.
Speaker 2: But also, she doesn't hate her family, right, She's always drawn back to them. She's always throughout the whole series. Yes, we understand in the very beginning she does it because she needs to pay for Chiltern, but you also get the impression like it's not like they never see her. I always think she's she's connected. It's why she's still connected with Christopher. It's why Digger right, she never fully leaves her past behind her. She she is a meld of the two worlds. And that even happens when Logan and Rory have that are argument, right, you are elite like us. You are us. You deny it and you act like you aren't, but you are. So I think that they are always have their foot in both worlds. And maybe maybe she was like, you know what, I'm going to raise Rory in a new, different way, but I'll always have this connection to my other life. I don't know that was what came to my head.
Speaker 3: I don't know it's totally fair. I just I'll throw this out. I'm not sure rebellious sixteen year old would hold that value right.
Speaker 2: No, you're right.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised she didn't name Rory rocket totally.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna say, after some or like Joan Jet or something right like.
Speaker 3: That's that's just my that was just my one question is and it's value right, Like, She's still from and this is not a disc from Connecticut, but there are some conservative traditional values that like are ingrained in her family and It was just something that has always stated with me because I view Loralai as such a strong force who paved her own way, and then she kind of labeled her kid out.
Speaker 1: You know, It's interesting. I have always thought if Rory, if she did not get pregnant with Rory, would she be like Emily, Like would she be a true Gilmore right, versus like how she broke off and did her own thing. I personally think she might have. I think she might have gone down that road.
Speaker 2: I think she would have been like Rory right where she still embraced that life she grew up in. But was you know, she would have been career minded. She would have gone to college, all those things.
Speaker 1: She wouldn't have married Luke, is my point, Like she would have married a Huntsburger.
Speaker 2: She would have married a digger.
Speaker 1: You know, like she.
Speaker 2: Bellious as she thinks she was. Right, she was just a teenager sneaking out the window making out with her boyfriend, right, like we don't. She wasn't living a life of crime, and like she wasn't that she didn't like the way her parents were, especially her mom, But she wasn't totally rejecting it, right, she was going to be the debutante. Didn't she wear the sneaker? Like I'm trying to remember it all, but like she was just on that path with a bit of an itch. So I think because she got pregnant, she decided to rebell.
Speaker 1: I said this while we watched the series. She's the female version of Logan. Logan is in his soul a Huntsburger like he desires that life and he loves that life. However, he has his own twist to it, and he is spunky and you know, has his own edge, much like Laura Lai.
Speaker 2: Fabulous question.
Speaker 3: I cannot this is a conversation. Cannot wait to see what people say. Don't like I do you.
Speaker 2: They're gonna love the question and they're all going to have opinions.
Speaker 3: This show gets hooked, get hooked on, like, this is one of those questions I have.
Speaker 1: I reve it. We have never been asked that question before. And so thank your.
Speaker 2: Biggest debate, our biggest continual debate is should Luke have told lore Lie sooner about April? Yeah, It's like I almost at Amber by the way I was melding my parenthood.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, and also, if you know, he should have immersed lore Lie more into that relationship that he did.
Speaker 1: That was a big, heated, ugly Yeah, I got it, totally fair. Yeah, that was that was spicy. That was spicy, and that I am all in universe.
Speaker 2: Are you a five o'clock or eleven o'clock. I'm gonna go at eleven o'clock.
Speaker 3: Eleven o'clock. I watched my stuff in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: Oh, what a pleasure to talk to you. We would love to have you back and just dig more into like TV in general.
Speaker 3: Just anytime. And I love this. These are the conversations I have with my friends all the time and same.
Speaker 2: Will we do it with sex and the City too. I will never forget. I tell this story all the time. One of my friends at dinner was like, I've been this is when it was airing the first time. She says, I've been thinking about Carrie and blah blah blah blah blah whatever she said, And I'm like, Carrie who And she's like Bradshaw, like just talking about it like she was one of our gals.
Speaker 3: It's again, it reached out to people, right. It still has this amazing force. Yeah, the old one, the new One I think is finding its way.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, it's getting better as it goes. Yeah, it's getting better as it goes. And I loved the movies. I also think it's why people want more. They want more sex in the city, they want more Gilmore girls. People want it so bad because they are so invested in these people's lives.
Speaker 3: Agree. Agree. I think that you know, it started probably with the movies, bringing back sequels and things of that nature. But I think that there's a level of people weren't ready to let these stories go. M h total, and they just there's something I know, we keep going back to the same word, but there is something of comfort of well there you are.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh totally.
Speaker 3: When I was in teen, you know what I really wanted to do. This is another side thing, and I'll let you guys go, is I actually wanted them to take the sixteen candles and all of these great eighties you know, rom coms and things of that nature. And someone, I mean, this is back in the day. So don't you like make.
Speaker 2: Them We'll make you say your age. But I feel like we're the same age.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sure we're the same age.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm a bi centennial baby, do you know what that is?
Speaker 2: Yes, seventeen, I mean nineteen seventy six. By centennial baby, I'm seventy four. We're exactly the same, aide, that's why. And we're television kids, right, because we didn't have all these other things.
Speaker 3: So this.
Speaker 2: I had a TV in my room from the time I was like six years old.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did it as a teenager. I had a TV in my room as an adult. But I wanted to I actually wanted to do a book. I wanted someone to do a book that each chapter was where are they now? Story for all of these great like sixteen Handles, Breakfast Club. I wanted someone to go and basically write the second half of their lives.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a good podcast, it's so it's so good.
Speaker 2: I had an idea. I wanted to find Jake Ryan so bad because you know how he's like the actors like kind of disappeared.
Speaker 3: Isn't he a woodworker in Pennsylvania?
Speaker 2: Yes, and like I'm sure they've offered him Dancing with the Stars a thousand times and he's like no. But to me, there's something like more about who Jake Ryan is for all of us, right like, and I thought, oh man, that is an interesting book, like why who is this guy? And we all can relate? And then the fact.
Speaker 1: That he.
Speaker 2: Disappeared makes it even more like whoa, this is intriguing. I don't know, I agree with you. We talk about nine o two and oh like that all the time. We're convinced that Brandon is the governor of California, not president governor of California.
Speaker 3: I could see that kind of na.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so great to meet you.
Speaker 3: We will have more cer is coming in the fall.
Speaker 1: Oh great.
Speaker 3: So the idea is you're seeing the evolution of Start. So we're introducing more new programming, a little bit different, a little bit more of an eleven o'clock audience, as we'd like to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, congrats to you eighty four on direct TV.
Speaker 4: Or gonna start TV dot com if you don't have direct TV and find out how you can check it out.
Speaker 3: Again your zip code and we'll tell you where to watch.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was not expecting to have like the best debate ever.
Speaker 4: I know, my mind's kind of blown and I'm really excited to hear everyone say what they think.
Speaker 2: Go on our Instagram and let's put that up where you get to say why, because I I that was a question I've never heard before.
Speaker 1: And we texted Suzanne and Tara and told them, like, you need to say what you think on totally town meeting. So you know they'll, oh, yeah, why do.
Speaker 2: I call it town hall when it's called town meeting.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's definitely down meeting.
Speaker 4: So check, you know, hear their responses, but we want to hear from you, so definitely, d m us comment, do all the things because this is a juicy conversation and we should come back on our next Gilmore Girls Gazette and.
Speaker 1: Talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see what see what people said?
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that's the news and that's news.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.