Speaker 1: Philip conspiracy realist. You remember Philadelphia cream cheese? We sure did, and we wanted to figure out where it came from, so we did it in this episode.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's what this entire episode is about, Baby taking them cows and milking them for all that sweet, sweet, white, milky.
Speaker 3: Gold big Dary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. No, this is about a really weird experiment that maybe didn't happen, probably didn't happen, allegedly happened about time travel.
Speaker 1: The USS Eldridge traveling through time and space with disastrous consequence. It is a thrilling tale. But how much of it, you know, is straight poop and how much of it is just whipped cream cheese? We're going to find out in this recording from UFOs to Psychic Powers and government Conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. Can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is not.
Speaker 1: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul Mission controlled decands. Most importantly, you are you, You are here, and that makes this stuff They don't want you to know. Today's episode is a weird one on many levels. First, it's weird that we have not done a podcast on this before. We've had a lot of people ask us about it over the years. Secondly, it concerns something that has always fascinated us, allegations of hidden technology. Now you know these stories or you know the rough tropes. They come and go throughout the world of conspiratorial lore, but they will never really go away, just because there are way too many known proven cases of suppress technology we've explored on the show, and there's way too much other weird, somewhat sinister, circumstantial, very true stuff floating around, like the Invention Secrecy Act of what was it, nineteen fifty one. That's a real thing. I've still boggled by that you can invent something in the United States and do everything right, and the government can totally not just steal your invention, but also legally prevent you from ever talking about it.
Speaker 3: Do the rest of you imagine getting that visit or that call what You're so stoked you've patented your first like Gangbuster's genius idea, and then you get a call from the g men saying sorry, but we're going to suppress the hell out of this and you can never speak of it again.
Speaker 2: You know, it's not the government's fault. They were just there two decades before and already patented the thing, and then just you know, they didn't have to tell anybody.
Speaker 3: So it's parallel thinking with the government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I spend a little too much time, I think, whenever we get close to these topics, just imagining what sort of stuff could have been pulled by the Invention Secrecy Act. I hope it's not all weapons. I hope it's some things that are like ridiculous, like a regenitative dentifice, a toothpaste you can use that actually removes cavities. And someone was like, no, this the world's not ready.
Speaker 3: Lock him just a way a way too advanced bidet now, Like we just we can't have this, We cannot let this fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an actually everlasting gob stopper.
Speaker 3: Yes, wallpaper where the snosberries actually taste likensbery, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Or a pill that means you'll never have to sleep again. That's my personal favorite. Anyway, this stuff happens all the time.
Speaker 2: They have that that's called meth no if there's a trailer dropping for a show on the day we record this about a very very pill. It's actually more of a mind app but it's all good.
Speaker 1: Nice. Can you disclose more sure?
Speaker 2: It's called Tomorrow's Monsters. It's brought to you by the Flynn Picture Company and Dan Bush and Psycopia Pictures and myself and my team.
Speaker 3: It's documentary, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: It's a documentary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very o Matt Frederick. Yeah, that's an exciting one and we're not blowing smoke. Do check it out. I think we'll have the trailer for that show in our own feed in a little while, but stay stay tuned. So suppress technology. Let's start today's story with a little bit of background on the US Navy. Here are the facts.
Speaker 3: So we could start with the rumors. I suppose we don't necessarily need to lead off with saying the rumors are true. But there are rumors, tons of them in fact, about the US Navy and classified space age experiments. These rumors don't exist in a vacuum. They don't come from absolute whole cloth. The Navy has, of course done tons of secret experiments. It's a thing. It's a known thing that the Navy does experiments that we'll probably never hear about or at the very least the full extent of this research. But the stuff that has been declassified is really really really cool.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and one of the first things we can look at is this amazing piece of tech called the Sea Shadow.
Speaker 3: Not to be confused with the sea shanties that are very popular on TikTok right now, just putting that out there.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a sea shant tea, it's a Sea Shadow. It's it's a stealth warship. It will remind you of if you took one of the stealth bombers or the stealth jet fighter that we've talked about before on the show that you've seen that made their appearances during the Gulf War. I believe, like an yeah F one to seventeen Nighthawk, very similar to that. But you took that thing then you kind of crunched it down, turned its wings kind of on its side and downwards a bit, and then put it in the water. That's kind of what it looks.
Speaker 3: Like a little bit like the X or the X Men like plane. Sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're a B two bomber or I'm gonna be completely honest, A real kick ass toy from the g I. Joe toy line. It looks like you could buy it at Target and put your little figures in it.
Speaker 3: I remember when they used to make toys and then everything else was just based on the toy. Now it's the other way around. Yeah, I missed those days.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love all the I love the ridiculous extents that we'll go to to make a storyline around a toy line, you know what I mean. So, the Sea Shadow is a real thing, and it's created in partnership with Lockheed and DARPA. DARPA again, if you're listening, get at me. Where's the sleep tech? Not meth. I'm not asking for meth. I just want to stay awake. So the Sea Shadow, it was a project that spanned from like nineteen eighty four to its public data and confirmation of existence in nineteen ninety three. It looks super cool. It had some really smart technology a board and in its DNA, you could say, But ultimately it was never commissioned. In fact, it was gutted and sold by Uncle Sam after they had spent a while trying to get a museum to take it. No museum would take it, so they sold it to a private company with a very weird condition. And so we're selling this to you and you have to destroy it, you know, to take it apart. You can never use it or sale it, just sell it for scrap.
Speaker 3: And typically we're not going to hear about this kind of stuff unless the military decides they no longer have any use for it, or it's more or less considered a failed experiment.
Speaker 1: Right, right, that's a good point. So there are two ways that there are number of ways militaries will disclose this kind of bleeding edge tech. First if it doesn't work and they feel like maybe another intel elegency agency has already compromised the research. That's why, you know, when enough time passes, that's when you start hearing about stuff like we tried to use bats as explosive devices in World War two, things.
Speaker 3: Like that, or those hover platforms. Remember those hover platforms with the like propellers on the bottom. That was a real cool idea. Clearly it was super wonky, impossible to steer, more so than like a segue, and that came out. You know, you can see you can see drawings of these on the Internet.
Speaker 1: One of those was actually mistaken for a UFO in Mexico a few years back. Actually, I don't think mistaken is right, because it was an r phenomenon.
Speaker 3: I think that's what you know, that's sort of the old story of where a lot of sightings of of UFOs come from is veiled government technology that no one knows about. So therefore it must be if we don't know about it, it must be, you know, from another galaxy.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Another reason that government might disclose bleeding edge t is to send an intimidation signal to a geopolitical rival. And that's I mean, that's that's a powerful statement. And then there are of course legit leaks like the assages and snowed ends of the world. But but what's interesting about this is although the Sea Shadow is long gone, you can see its influence, its legacy and other ships today like the USNS Impeccable, an ocean surveillance ship that was recently or a few years back, I should say, in the news for some ratcheting tensions in the Pacific theater, mainly China and interacting with US and the Philippines. But so the Sea Shadow, it's a real thing. It looks like a spaceship on the water.
Speaker 4: And just to be clear here, the USNS Impeccable looks like that build that we were discussing where it's got It looks like it's got too parts of it on the bottom that go into the.
Speaker 2: Water and are submerged really deeply and then kind of goes up in an arc almost like almost like the underside of a bridge tunnel or something. Great example, Yeah, beneath the ship so that other things can go in there. I guess pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I want one. I want to live on one. But so the Navy also did other wild stuff back in the day, just to show you how long ago this process was, so Sea Shadow fair comparatively recent. But the Navy also experimented with airborne aircraft carriers. This is something we covered in an old episode of car Stuff. For a while, they Okay, this idea is going to sound crazy, and it's going to sound like it's a conversation that a bunch of coked up eighties movie producers would have. But here's what happened. They said, blimps are cool. We like airships. Let's build airships that we can put tiny planes in. And then we can have these tiny planes fly out of the airships and then guys, guys, we're gonna put the planes back in the blimps.
Speaker 3: Bro. I love that idea, and I will love you so much.
Speaker 1: Guys. This is the best carry okay, n'd ever blimps. But yeah, they did the USS Akron the USS making. They were lighter than air craft, uh, and they were huge. They were eight hundred feet long. They had built in hangars and they could take these tiny tiny planes and deploy them, and then the pilots could in theory, and they did this successfully a few times. They could also return to the airship dock and be taken back up into the blimp. But it's like anybody with anxiety, your heart will already start racing when you hear about how they connected back. They had to like fly up under the airship at this match at speed, and they had a little hook on this tiny plane and they had to kind of like like at a carnival gamer an arcade game. They had to kind of like position the hook onto this bar that was just hanging down from the blimp. They had to hope it connected and then have perfect timing so that they didn't destroy the whole house of airborne cards, no surprise. Eventually they eventually, Uncle Sam decided this was kind of a wild, unreliable idea for a number of reasons. And we know the Navy also experiments with armament, right I remember.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, we can't. We can't leave uss Akron yet because we know it exploded, right yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it didn't fly for very long, but in nineteen thirty three, that's when its final flight occurred. At least the the Akron version that we spoke.
Speaker 1: Of, it had a number of accidents. Yeah, but with work in progress, work in progress. So we also know the Navy experiments extensively with new types of armament, you know, mortarshells and so on. Probably one of the coolest things to hit the public sphere is the rail gun, which has been fascinating us for a number of years. Shout out, shout out to the railgun cruise because that stuff is supposed to be ready in twenty twenty one to twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Was that quake?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it was quake.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was just I was like, am I crazy? Like I thought that was a weapon in doom or quake. Pretty sure it's quake. But this is not a handheld device. This is like a massive ordinance cannon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, correct, Yeah, it's not something you can carry around with you yet. And a handheld version we don't know, we don't know what they're up to. Yeah, okay, let's put that it's not something we can carry around handtel version. And the Navy has done tons of other stuff. The drawing board is filled with mistakes and triumphs. Of course, you know, Matt, I thought of you specifically with this one. It's maybe a story for another day. But there's a lot of research into unmanned maritime vehicles like lockeeds. Is building those prototypes now.
Speaker 3: Like seed drones?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, cool, of course they are. Oh man, I just haven't seen it. I haven't looked into it, but yeah, find me in a week. I'll be very very into this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always picture oh what was that film? I always picture the guys from Step Brothers looking at an unmanned ship of this sort and saying like, wow, once you take the people out, there's so much room for activities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose, But isn't the idea the same way that like laptops now don't have desk drives in them anymore. Aren't they trying to make the smallest possible package. I guess when you say activities, we're like using that as a stand in for features and like tech and weaponry, right.
Speaker 1: Yep, fuel more communications equipment. You also don't have to worry so much about various safety mechanisms you would put in to keep the meat bags going safely port to ports.
Speaker 3: Almost as though people are going to one day become an afterthought and all of this stuff.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe, But we are giving you these examples again, these very real examples, to establish this fact. Yes, the US military constantly engages in classified research, experimentation and design and so on and so on and so on. A ton of it ends up never working. But it's also safe to assume, I would say, it's crucial to assume that all competent, world class militaries are doing the same thing. The US is not alone in this regard. It's not a matter of like, we're beyond good and evil. These are just the rules of the road for these organizations. But in the case of the US Navy specifically, there is one project, gentlemen, one rumor of a test that has obsessed thousands of people for decades. That's our episode today. What is the Philadelphia Experiment.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you about it in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Here's where it gets crazy. We're back. We don't have to spend a lot of time on this, but we've researched extensively and the facts are there. The Philadelphia Experiment was the original name for what we call cream cheese. It was invented by the US Navy back in the nineteen fifties, shortly after World War Two, to address growing and urgent concerns about the lack of cream and wartime chae supplies.
Speaker 3: Those maniacs, they were so preoccupied with whether they could do this, they never considered whether they should.
Speaker 2: Yep, and we made a whole video about it. If you head over to YouTube dot com slash conspiracy stuff, you can watch that video. And really it's just the lack of cream in that video is astounding, and it's really what it's all about.
Speaker 3: The best part of the video is when they start getting into different flavors. That's when it really they cracked the egg wide open.
Speaker 1: The cream cheese arm race. Yeah, the flavor arm race. It was a harrowing time, you know, and I think I think we can all agree that the world got very close to ending, So thank you. That's cream cheese is also, you know, the cream cheese conflict is also where we see the origins of mutually assured destruction or mad policy, which later you might recognize from nuclear weapons. We're kidding, this is something different. We think we're kidding. I don't know, Big Cream, don't shut us down. What we're really talking about is something that I believe could now be described as an urban legend. It's been around long enough that it's reached legend status, and we have a story for you, folks, strap.
Speaker 3: In legendary to the point that, you know, kind of like we were talking about earlier, with that room of Navy tech people getting a little excited big upping each other on weird ideas, there was a room full of Hollywood executives doing something very similar, saying the Philadelphia Experiment brilliant idea for a sci fi film of nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: That's right. Now, cast your mind back to nineteen forty three October. At the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, government scientists are conducting an experiment aboard a US Navy Canon class destroyer escort called the USS Eldridge. It's number d E one seventy three.
Speaker 1: There are some notable people in attendance at this momentous occasion, one of whom is Albert Einstein. Albert Einstein was making the rounds according to this story, because you see, the eggheads working for the Navy had reached some fascinating conclusions about the application of Einstein's theory of the unified field, and they were hoping to create a real life invisibility cloak, a field of energy that would render the Eldridge invisible both to the human eye and to radar, which was the more important part.
Speaker 3: This is sort of like a science y tech version of like, you know, D and D Cloak of invisibility.
Speaker 1: Basically, right, Harry Potter, Cloak of invisibility? What have you? Just a ship? It's on a ship instead of a person or a level three warlock. And this this gets love Craftian pretty quick. And it's a story that I think, you know, if you consider yourself a conspiracy realist, this is probably one of your favorite stories when you're growing up.
Speaker 3: Ben. Is it any accident that the ship was named the USS Eldridge.
Speaker 1: It's great, good story.
Speaker 3: It really works, it really works.
Speaker 1: And this is a real ship. By the way, we'll get into this too.
Speaker 3: That part's spelled differently. It's spelled e L dri DG Yes.
Speaker 1: Good points. So according to this story, this experiment is unusual in comparison to other declassified experiments because it is witnessed by hundreds, possibly thousands of sailors who are at the port or who are on other nearby ships. The testing was a series of events, and it began, as Matt said, in the summer of forty three. At first it seemed successful to a limited extent. One test allegedly resulted in the Eldridge mean kind of translucent, you know, somewhat obscured, almost invisible. And then some witnesses reported a quote greenish fog or later described as a green glow appearing in place of where the ship used to be. Crew Members allegedly complained of severe nausea and then disaster.
Speaker 2: Struck and just you know, while we're here. If that is true, it sounds like nuclear stuff to me, a greenish people are getting dosed by radiation and feeling a little sick. That's what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: It also reminds me a lot of when David Copperfield made the Statue of Liberty disappear on live television, minus the radiation and the greenish glow. Apparently he just pulled a giant like curtain up and then dropped it. But that was a big deal at the time.
Speaker 1: I vaguely remember that. Yeah, yeah, I always wondered how he did that, And also related, I always wonder how people get into those words of gigs, you know, like just from a infrastructure equipment materials.
Speaker 3: Practice, practice practice, same way you get to Carnegie Hall, you know.
Speaker 1: Start with a spoon and you end up with the Statue of Liberty.
Speaker 3: You just pick a real specific niche and just go with it, lean into it hard.
Speaker 1: I'm a magician, but I only disappear statues.
Speaker 2: That's like paltic, guys, I'm big serious here. I mean, think about the fog even, like what could that be? Oh, I don't know. If someone trying to figure out how to make a piece of uranium go into water and then I don't know, use the steam that's coming off of it to make some experiment happen, but they don't understand exactly what's happening. Yet with all that steam.
Speaker 3: And we know now from what was soon to follow, radioactive energy creation is all about steam, and we know that the water and all of that stuff that is used to generate radioactive energy is absolutely toxic.
Speaker 2: Yes, but we're not saying that that's what was happening here. This is Matt's a little silly put theory.
Speaker 3: This has been Matt's silly pet theory. Corners.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's either little nor silly. There are another there's there's other couple of possibilities.
Speaker 3: It is a corner, though, can we at least agree on that.
Speaker 1: I think it's a corner. Yeah, we're in your corner in multiple levels. So one of the things that could have happened is if there were some sort of energy field or distortion that affected perception. The Eldridge probably had lights on it, right, so those lights may have been somehow distorted, producing what appeared to be a greenish gloe. Anyhow, it said disaster struck. We'll get into the details of the legend, but here's the general gist of what happened. The crew had severe side effects, some died. These side effects were much more than just an upset stomach. Some were allegedly found materialized part way into the hull of the ship fuse into it. Like phasing that went wrong.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, man, I can't get over every time you say the eldritch I'm just picturing Cthulhu esque hulking monsters coming out of the sea.
Speaker 1: Way for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I perhaps unfairly primed us by immediately saying love crafting.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it was completely fair.
Speaker 2: It's okay. Well, the other thing is just so everybody understands phasing, just so we're all on the same page here. Phasing is when you have a creature on the board and they're in play for turn one basically, let's say, and then it comes to your turn again after your opponent has played, and then they would phase out so you'd flip them over. Then on the next your next turn, they would phase back in, so you'd flip it back over and they could attack and block and things.
Speaker 1: Like that, which is based on the Philadelphia experiments. Yeah so, and also, of course, for any fans of comics, we know that is the primary power of Kitty Pride and is one of the many powers of Vision, who is a synthesoid what was.
Speaker 3: Kitty Pride's sexual superhero name?
Speaker 1: Was that it shadow Cat?
Speaker 3: Shadow Cat? Thank you just making sure so.
Speaker 1: This we're making light of this, But if true, this is an enormous tragedy because it means hundreds of people saw multiple folks die in a way that appeared to be physically impossible. Some simply disappeared and were never seen again, and still others, how love crafting is this, were driven mad by the experience, by whatever they saw on the inside of that energy field, where they were plagued for years by mysterious cases of quote phasing in and out of existence. The Navy disavowed all knowledge of this. You can read their statement about it, which is low key hilarious.
Speaker 3: No, Doug, that didn't happen, right.
Speaker 1: But since the mid fifties, not nineteen forty three. Since about the mid fifties, the story grew legs in the public sphere. More and more authors came forward claiming to have either second or first hand knowledge of the event, and at times there are various different stories about what happened in nineteen forty three contradict one another in numerous ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in nineteen fifty six is when a ufologist by the name of Morris Jessup got letters from a person identifying himself as Carlos Miguel Allende or Carl m. Allen. And let's just really quickly remind everyone that this was about twelve years after the experiment allegedly took place.
Speaker 1: Oh man, these letters, Oh boy. Okay. So if you have ever just to make this human and relatable, if you have ever been in a situation where you have published a book, or you've created art or music or something where is something that people respond to, then you might be familiar with the out of the blue extraordinary correspond sets. So we'll call it extraordinary correspondence. We get it here at this show, and for the most part, we love it, and we're very fortunate to receive these letters. But here's what Carlos slash. Carl claims in his letters. His government name is Carl Allen, by the way, he just goes by Carlos Allende. So Carl says that he witnessed this secret experiment in nineteen forty three World War Two at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. He was not on the Eldridge. He says he was on a nearby ship, the Furuseth, and he was watching the Eldridge, and he had learned through this experience and through his own later investigations that the ship didn't just disappear, didn't just become invisible for a little bit, but it got teleported to New York in a way that was physically impossible given what we understand about ship propulsion at the time. And then it got teleported to another dimension where in the crew encountered sincient non human life. Then it got teleported through time. This is a dangerous journey and that's what led to the deaths of several men. And Carlos Slash carl as the one who claimed, you know, and they saw the greenish glow people refuse this ship. He also said he saw a guy, a survivor of the Eldridge later in a bar, and as he watched the man, the man vanished from existence.
Speaker 3: And really quickly. I'm certain that these accounts are the inspiration for the nineteen eighty four sci fi film The Philadelphia Experiment, where some sailors who were on board when this experiment took place get teleported to the Nevada Desert and then things get weird and Carl.
Speaker 1: It's important to say. Carl, as we'll learn, was a guy who was a fan of sending letters. But it made sense for him to reach out to this guy, Jessop because Jessop had just published a book called The Case for the UFO. It's kind of like a primer and speculation examining UFO phenomenon in general and then speculating on things like what their propulsion system could be, like how could they be so nimble to physics? Basically right, yeah, just so eventually Carl would end up sending Jessup more than fifty letters, and Jessup at first. So here's the thing you might think, Okay, Jessup just automatically dismisses this guy out of hand because he makes some crazy claims. He also, by the way, I can't remember if we mentioned this, he also, by the way, told Jessop in the course of these letters that he had personally spent several weeks with Albert Einstein, and Albert Einstein was explaining in person the truth about the unified field and various other bleeding edge of physics kind of subjects.
Speaker 2: God sucks, because how cool would that be? I mean, it sounds amazing. But everyone out there listening, you know, we've encountered stories like this before where you have to be you have to remain skeptical enough, right and we have to we're all doing that right now. It doesn't mean we completely disbelieve all of us at least, but it does mean that we're venturing into some choppy waters here.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, said yeah, Jessup. Jessup is taking the same tack. Initially, he says, Okay, I'm going to try to seriously investigate these these claims, these ideas in good faith. But he becomes frustrated because this Carl guy, this person he knows only through letters, seems unable to or unwilling to produce physical evidence. Eventually, Jessup dismisses all all all these missives as the work of a crackpot or someone who as having some cognitive stability issues, and he goes about his day that was in what was that nineteen fifty five, fifty six, He's fine, He's like, okay, well that was weird.
Speaker 3: But then but.
Speaker 1: Dead nineteen fifty seven, he gets another weird piece of correspondence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not from a UFO guy, crackpot, like from the office of Naval Research in Washington, DC. They reach out to him and they're a little bit annoyed. They'd gotten a package containing a paperback version of the Case for the UFO. It was in a Mandila envelope marked Happy Easter. Oh and the book had been marked up extensively. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, it reminds me of something, honestly, my grandfather would do. There were three different shades of pink. There's been just all written scribbled throughout there, and it appeared to show correspondence between three individual people, one of whom is named Jemmy.
Speaker 3: That's j E.
Speaker 2: M I, and the O n R labeled the other two as simply mister A and mister B.
Speaker 1: Gotta call him something, you know what I mean, Let's not complicate it. I'm sure they had a whole list of names, and they're like Lancelot, Galahad Mansa, Musa and someone else said okay, dude, calm down, We'll just we'll start at A. So these notes are interesting. We believe that one of the reasons Carl Allen specifically contacted Jessup originally was because in his book The Case for the UFO, he mentions Einstein, and he mentions unified field, and Carl Allen had either spent a lot of time with Einstein or had thought about him pretty frequently. So in these notes, and these are heavy notes, by the way, in these notes there are oblique references to the Philadelphia experiment, and there are also like, if you look at it the way they're written, it's almost as if there is a chat for him. It looks almost as if these people were passing this book back and forth to one another and reacting to the things the other people said.
Speaker 3: And then then we get like almost like a hitchcocky and twist where Jessup notices something and and like I can picture the editing crossed, you know, like doing a voiceover from the past, or like a flashback to when he first noticed this. He recognizes the handwriting.
Speaker 1: Of all three people because it's one person. It's that guy who sent him all those letters. And now now he's got jammed up by the Navy. This is not this is not what you imagine happening when you want to write a cool UFO book.
Speaker 2: So well, this guy jammed himself up by sending it over to the Navy. No, but it is now jamming up Jessip yeah, jes Jessup.
Speaker 1: Is unfairly jammed here, so he he reckoned, Like Noel says, he recognizes this handwriting, and he recognizes the subject matter, the style of writing. He says, Look, this is all that same guy who's been sending me stuff and naval authorities. I assure you, I think he's kind of off, he says, has some interesting things to say. Oh, by the way, he's also a close friend of Albert Einstein. You know, why are.
Speaker 3: You talking to me? He just died right, This is like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just about two years ago. Einstein died in fifty five and this fifty seven, So that's what he says. He's like, look, I don't know. I'm just trying to make a living.
Speaker 3: As a writer.
Speaker 1: It's tough all around, but I have nothing to do with this. He probably also went on to say, like, I'm also not a communist in case that comes up. And then he goes off and he's still now He's like, Now, if you think about it from Jessup's perspective, the Navy calling you up about this story that you originally might not have believed. That becomes a huge piece of credibility, does it not, Especially there's another twist here. This is a twist I think will be a big one.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Office of Naval Research itself later funded a very small republication of Jessop's book through a military contractor called Varo. Why they I don't know, man, because they they when they published it, when they republished it, it wasn't just Jessop's work. They published it with all of those annotations by those three fake people. Double why right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Utopia anyone? Still?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: God, my mind, Sorry, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Oh and thanks to everybody wrote it, wrote in and alerted us to the British version being up there being a very.
Speaker 2: Watched both seasons already do it now? Yes, that's all, that's all it is.
Speaker 1: Yes. Do you prefer it to the US version?
Speaker 2: In many ways? In other ways no, And I'm not going to elaborate.
Speaker 1: So don't take our word for it. If you want to check out Utopia now it's the perfect time to do it. We're gonna pause for a word from our sponsors, and we're going to watch the rest of the seasons. Then we'll be back and we'll do this. We'll do the show and we're back this is one heck of a tail so far. This is I mean, step to the left rhyme of the ancient mariner. We have a new legend of the sea. So let's dive further into these claims. The numerous authors writing about this in later years link the experiment to other pre existing conspiracy theories regarding particularly Allied and Axis experimentation on the bleeding edges of known science during World War Two. And the thing about that stuff is as crazy as it sounds, there is a little bit of sand to some of those World War two conspiracy theories. Shout out to the Horton h O right, that might have changed the war, and we really lucked out. This also became the Philadelphia Experiment. Writers also connected it to later conspiracies such as things like the Montalk Project, which we still we haven't done an episode on that, I think, but if we do, it's it's going to be kind of the part two of the Philadelphia Experiment.
Speaker 2: And we see something happening here with the story of the Philadelphia Experiment that we're seeing a lot more of in modern times, actually extremely recent times, where some of the authors who were writing about it are willing to make leaps in logic and almost just assume that certain stories are real and then find connective tissue between those two stories in some small way, as Ben was saying, like to the Montalk project. But it seems as though a lot of the authors writing about it, we're just willing to do that. And then there it becomes a thing where the lore builds up over time, where more and more people are stating kind of the same thing that hasn't been proven, but enough people are saying it that it feels true.
Speaker 1: There's a social aspect to it, a social engineering aspect. And there were these common story elements, the ones we outlined in our exploration of the legend. There were plenty of contradictory claims. Is people got their favorite you know, pet theory corners stoked. And one thing you'll notice is that the authors often paint Carlos Allende or carl Allen has this very mysterious, enigmatic figure, a drifter on the fringes of the mainstream, a man nearly impossible to contact. This turned out to be very much not true.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I mean, that's certainly the way it seems to come off in terms of the assembled lore around this story.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, picture of like he's like the popular mythic image of this guy would be a lot like the father in Firestarter, you know, on the run from the government's mysterious men in black, chasing you for your rare and dangerous knowledge and or abilities. So this drew the attention of a paranormal researcher named Robert Gorman. Around nineteen seventy nine or so, Gorman was looking back through this stuff and he noticed something weird. The original return address on that Easter package that was sent to the Office of Naval Research was from New Kensington, Pennsylvania. Holy smokes, says Rob that's my hometown. I live here. I can find this address. And the coincidences got even stranger. This guy Carlos Ayende, his real name was Carl Allen. He lived in town. He was the son of a close family friend of the Gorman. So Gortman was able to reach Carl Allen with relatively little difficulty. That means something profoundly change over the course of all those other writer's experience, or that means that maybe they weren't trying as hard to contact him as they led their readers to believe.
Speaker 3: But he was known around town. He had a reputation for being a bit of a loaner with sort of a wild imagination.
Speaker 1: Correct, yes, that is correct. He was an eccentric. He was infamous for writing on anything and everything around the family house, and as Skeptoid puts it, he was also known to send bizarre writing and claims to everyone in his family or in his circle for any occasion. And there's a word for this. It's called hypergraphia, a behavioral condition characterized by the intense desire to write or draw.
Speaker 3: Ben This instantly makes me think of love crafty and stuff where someone who has lost their mind hold up in some sort of ramshackled abandoned mansion scrawls weird cuthulhusque cryptograms all over the wall, does it not.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. I didn't think of that. Yeah, yeah, I think we're well on the way to making our own version of the Philadelphia Experiment as a feature film, maybe a serious of YouTube videos. All right, welcome of it. We'll work shopping. So look, Gorman, he's tracking Carl down, but at the same time he's looking into the facts surrounding the uss Eldridge.
Speaker 2: And really what he was finding appeared to illustrate a very different picture than what he was being given by old Carl. He found a lot of the stuff fully disproved the statements that Carl was making. And perhaps in another way, if you listening are fully convinced that this was a true story, that Carl knew the truth and everyone else was keeping it quiet, it kind of it might lead you down the road of oh, this is a full cover up and it was effective. It worked, and the loan person that knew the truth was seen as a crackpot.
Speaker 1: Typical for these sorts of tales, right, yeah, yeah. The absence of evidence can be treated as evidence, you know, which is tough tough to get around. Gorman found the following based on US Naval records. The ship the Eldridge was nowhere near Philadelphia at the time this experiment was said to have occurred. Not only were they not there, but they had evidence, corroborated evidence of the routine stuff they were doing and where they were at the time.
Speaker 2: They could fake all that if they wanted to just say, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, that's true. We have to pursue both lines of thought here. It could be faked, right, You can change history. It's just a matter of changing records and eliminating witnesses. Oh, so he reaches out to people who would have been first hand witnesses. Who was a crew member on the Eldridge in forty three? He thinks who was on board afterwards or even before, if I could find someone still alive. Every single person crew member that he spoke to who was on board the ship there none recalled anything about any such experiment. And Matt, this is where we have to say. They could have been intimidated.
Speaker 2: That's exactly. They could have been intimidated, or maybe they lost consciousness. They don't actually remember it. And the horror stories are you know of people who didn't make it anyway, and we have to say that.
Speaker 1: We have to say it. We have to say it. It's the fair thing to acknowledge. And so, long story short, every claim that Gorman looked into, it appeared that the vast majority of them came from one source, Carl Allen, and the rest of it was rephrased or embellished afterwards. And additionally, all of these claims that he looked into seemed to be easily disproven by multiple other sources, which again would have to be compromised or faked for this to be real at this point. But there are other troubling facts. Let's go back to the bar Carl Allen, Remember he says, I saw this guy, a survivor of those tragic events in forty three. He was in a bar with me, and then poof, he just kaiser, so said, or a nightcrawler banfed teleported something. There's more news on that though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were quite a few people that came forward claiming to be this person, and not just regular people, veterans of the Eldritch and the uss Angstrom which was moored alongside the Eldridge in nineteen forty three. We have to know that these kinds of claims were made well after the Philadelphia Experiment became the pop culture phenomenon that it is today, and in more than one case it actually turned out that these guys we're not really veterans at all. So it really kind of throws a wrench into the works here and doesn't necessarily fully debunk Carl Allen's initial story because it seems like the people that are coming forward making these claims are also being a little dishonest themselves, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's a phenomenon that you see whenever a story takes a takes gets a grip on the national consciousness. Like whenever there is a suspected or acknowledged serial killer in operating in a city, often law enforcement gets inundated with calls from people who are, for one reason or another, either falsely claiming to be the killer, falsely claiming to know who it is, et cetera, et cetera. And some of these folks are pranksters. Some of these folks are maybe a little more detached from reality. But there's another huge badger in the bag here. It's the one we have to keep going back to the missing piece of the puzzle. Why on Earth did the Office of Naval Research called Jessop in the first place? Why did they Why did they go to him and not just toss this in the rubbish bin. There are a couple of possibilities too. I would say, you're pretty mundane, and one I would say is that's all I say, it's.
Speaker 2: I'll go with you down this this route. So I would say the first one is that whatever individuals from that office that ended up making it to see Jessup, we're just doing it because they wanted to do it, they were interested. They got this weird correspondence, and they're like, I kind of want to know more. I mean, I wonder if this guy's like annotating his own book and sending it to us. Let's let's go talk to him. This will be this will be fun. Come on, come on, Bill, let's go.
Speaker 3: That's a really good point because, like the fact that it's a government agency, your mind immediately goes toward this is some sort of giant initiative. But these people have pretty unilateral abilities to pursue their own stuff, right. I mean, that's that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: I love the idea for this one. I love the idea of uh of Jessup going to meet them and they're like, actually, we're not meeting in the office, where you just come meet me at this coffee shop.
Speaker 3: But we're really just fans.
Speaker 1: We're really just just just want to ask if you would sign this.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, deciding if we're thinking about doing a small run, exactly.
Speaker 3: Would you be option this Because we're actually deciding we're gonna pivot careers, We're gonna be like producers.
Speaker 1: Now, a lot of people, you know, have this stereotype of us as these uptight guys. But we're just we you know, we like to kick back, fire a few rail guns, work on some alien tech, and and pursue pictures. This is gonna be big for us. Jessup or should I say Jimmy.
Speaker 2: And then he's just like, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: L is a euphemism for doing cocaine. I'm sorry from earlier that never mind rail guy.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that's another hit in the history. Uh So that's the first possibility, and it may be mundane, but it is totally possible.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The second is that it could have literally just been these guys' job. It was a small I think it was a couple of people. It's a couple officials, so maybe they're maybe they're remit was to follow up on any and all correspondence, no matter how weird it was, no matter how innocuous, no matter how unimportant. It might seem like. Maybe they were treating this with the same kind of due diligence they would treat a letter from a six year old about Santa Claus. Maybe they just had to reply to everything and investigate it if it merited for further investigation, so they may not have had any personal interest I could see.
Speaker 2: That, or or what else could be hmmm.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, okay, so what if okay, what if they had to read this, they had to read the whole book, and there was something in those notes. There was something in those notes that was somehow similar to actual classified research Uncle Sam was conducting. Think about that. That's not as impossible as it sounds, because there are a ton of notes there, and depending on what they're talking about, if there's even one note that seems like a legit hint that someone outside of the company knows what the Navy's up to.
Speaker 3: Ooh yeah, And we have to be real about this.
Speaker 2: Even if let's say Carlyonde, his writing, his notes, his theories, all that stuff was complete bunk. But in that writing he he like hit upon as Ben is saying something that's close enough to what was occurring somewhere. Maybe if it wasn't even there, but just through a conceptualized science fiction story, he got close enough they would I can imagine that being dangerous in them having to go like you said and follow up.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean, look at how much science fiction is so prescient of like future technology, you know. I mean that's where a lot of like the idea of futurism comes from, is like thought experiments that ultimately become possible. And then this is the part. I'm sorry. There's so many beats in this story that are just so lovecrafty. And I know you primed the pump then. But on April thirtieth, Jessup took his own life, presumably after succumbing to Eldritch madness or potentially considering himself a failure as a writer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this story haunted him, and he did die by his own hand, just two years after that initial contact with the Navy.
Speaker 2: Much, I have to say it. He died two years after this interaction with the ONR. There's potential for something to feel fishy there. No, it doesn't mean that it is, but it definitely feels weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to put it in much much later. The story continues. The nineteen eighty four film The Philadelphia Experiment is released, and in nineteen eighty eight a man named al Blick bi Lick sees the film and it shakes some things loose in his head. He goes public and says, I was there. I was on the Aldridge. I was part of that experiment. I have been brainwashed to forget it, and seeing this film jogged those memories. Loose interesting not the same thing as proof interesting. Carlos Ayende Carl Allen lived until nineteen ninety four. He would send letters to any number of people every so often about the Philadelphia Experiment, further exploring the story and the legend. And the same year that Carl passes away, a French writer named Jacques F. Vallei v al Ee publishes this article in the Journal of Scientific Exploration called Anatomy of a Hoax the Philadelphia Experiment. Fifty years later and he receives this letter from a guy named Edward Dudgeon Edward dudgen Us Navy vet. Nineteen forty two nineteen forty five. He has a story that relates to the Eldridge.
Speaker 2: Kind of similarly to one of the other stories we heard earlier, as someone being on board a near ship. That's the one that Carlos Allende and initially put forward. He was on this other ship, he observed some of this and then went down the rabbit hole. Well, this person, Edward Dujan, says that he served aboard the Engstrom the uss Engstrom. It was dry docked in Philadelphia Naval Yard. If the Philadelphia experiment is to be true, that's also where the Eldritch was.
Speaker 3: And that he is.
Speaker 2: Saying that both ships, while they were there and docked and preparing to operate, had some kind of classified tech on board. But according to his story, he wasn't saying that this was some kind of invisibility experiment like some kind of cloaking device, nor some kind of teleportation device or something designed by extra terrestrials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Instead he said they were attempting to scramble magnetic signatures of ships using something called degaussing. Degassing is this is a way of counteracting a ship's magnetic field to establish a condition making the ship seem invisible to certain devices.
Speaker 3: Stradar and things like that, not to the eye right.
Speaker 1: Right right, to protect it from magnetic torpedoes, for instance. But god, you'll still see the ship if you're in line of sight. So what he says is they wrapped the ship with large cables and zapped it with high voltage charges, so the ship, again it wouldn't be invisible to quick clarification, would not be invisible to line of sight witnesses. It wouldn't be invisible to radar, but it would appear to be invisible to magnetic torpedoes. The pines that were used by U boats.
Speaker 3: Interesting, So what about the green glow that was such an interesting feature of the early reports of this experiment.
Speaker 1: So Dungeons says, it's either Saint Elmo's fire or an electric storm. But Saint Elmo's fire is kind of weird. It's a glow that occasionally appears around pointy objects during storms. From what I understand, that glow is supposed to be blue in color, not green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, if the original account is true, right, because the green glow is just a part of the story, the lore there. And then you know, this person is coming forward and saying, well I was actually there, and yeah there was tech and it was for this. So that's really all he's confirming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has a good and interesting explanation about that apparently impossible time that the Eldridge allegedly took to go to Norfolk and then return to Philadelphia. He says the Navy was using inland canals that are off limits to civilian vessels, and that allowed them to make the trip in six hours instead of two days. But anyway, what we're saying is there are other people who are proposing more grounded explanations to these alleged events what happened to the ship? Though we've been pretty clear the ship is real. The ship did exist, and people were crude on it. It was commissioned, it was nacked a vessel in the Navy until eventually it was sold for scrap, just like the Sea Shadow in the nineteen nineties. Doesn't that seem weird?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: I get yep, what am I being too sentimental? You guys? I would feel like maybe it's the improv mentality coming out, But like if we built some awesome super secret technology, even if it was outdated, I would be like, come on, guys, this is more than a war machine. Now. It's like a testament to our friendship and all the cool work we did traveling dimensions.
Speaker 2: And maybes, and there's no reason we should destroy this. Yes, and what let's put it on display, right.
Speaker 3: I do have to point out really quickly, my dear friend, who I believe both of you have met, Peyton Fisher of Brooklyn, New York. He pointed out that the Wikipedia intro for the Philadelphia experiment. He describes it as stinging. He says, I love the stinging Wikipedia intro quote. The alleged claims do not conform to known physical laws.
Speaker 1: Yeah, out, she goes, it's true.
Speaker 2: It's true. It's gonna say sometimes they don't, guys, that's when that's when it gets excited.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 1: Well, I think there's also a there's a real cool thing you can do on Wikipedia, especially if you're looking at a subject you feel as controversial. Hop on over to the talk tab. Right. Every article starts with one tab that just has article, but to the direct right of that you'll see the tab that says talk And if you get into the right thing, you will find these amazing arguments by very dedicated people. Oddly enough, you would think the geopolitical stuff would have more involved acrimonious kind of exchanges, But the fan fiction things are where you see people packing a lot of rhetorical heat. But yeah, you're right, stinging accusation and the ship is gone. It was scrapped in nineteen nineties as of this recording. If you check with the Office of Naval Research today, they will tell you they have never conducted experiments on invisibility, and that this sort of technology remains squarely in the realm of science fiction. However, this is not entirely true. Something like invisibility tech is currently being researched by various outfits around the planet. We just don't know of anything good enough to do what Carl Allen claimed Uncle Sam did back in the forties. But google quantum stealth invisibility. It's a cool read.
Speaker 3: Or the kind of weird like functional painting version of invisibility called dazzle camouflage, where ships were painted with these like weird angular stripes that supposedly made them harder to see on the horizon line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was cool to do. Check that out. And as we get to the end of the show, we know there is one huge piece of the puzzle. It's a piece you cannot ignore. It's one that's definitely, doubtlessly been on all of our minds for most of this episode. It's the real question, where the hell does Philadelphia cream cheese actually come from? It is not Philadelphia. What it's not Philadelphia? We don't know. There may be consequences for us disclosing this on air, but cream cheese was invented in the eighteen seventies by a guy in Chester, New York. Or he's the first to mass produce it, at least his name's William Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Philadelphia, they're the ones that got really good at it, and you know, figured out how to make it taste like strawberries, right.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not going to take that one from you know, I'm gonna let you have that out. The The funny thing is, it's just so unrelated to anything. He called it Philadelphia cream cheese because he thought it sounded classier and fancier because at the time Philadelphia was well known for the quality of its dairy industry.
Speaker 3: Sure, but it's still something that Philly residents sort of hold on to as like a point of pride. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it only really checks out if he had a Southern accent, because Philadelphia, it really is lovely.
Speaker 1: So that's our show. Unfortunately, at this point, it does appear that the majority of the really out there claims linked to the Philadelphia experiment can be traced to a single man, Carl Allen. Additionally, the majority of his claims do not seem to hold up to scrutiny, and they can either be disproven or they just can't be corroborated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as we record today, multiple government agencies do continue classified research across a wide range of disciplines. Just last week, it was reported that the Navy has gone public about several of these classified patents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, and you can read about this right now. A great resource we found was on the drive. They've got a I guess it's kind of an imprint within whatever the drive is called the war Zone, And there's just some great articles coming out of there, Brett Tingly or Tingeley and Tyler Rogaway or two authors that we've been reading a ton off of that website lately. And you can even find like there are great helpful things here in these articles, like a Google patent search with specifically the Salvator pays guy on here. It's a key name that you can look up as you're doing your own research. You can see all of the actual patents for crazy stuff.
Speaker 3: I still want to see the patent for the E meter that Mike Render told us about.
Speaker 1: There's something very interesting of foot here with these patents. That's why we shout out the Invention Secrecy Act of fifty one, which remains in effect today. Essentially, the folks that the journalists are talking to over at the war zone have confirmed that the US government spent more than a half million dollars over three years specifically to test some theories that every other physicist says our pseudoscience. So what is the truth here? And when do we find out? Ah? And still, why was the ONR so interested in this story? We have no idea? What do you think? Please let us know. We try to be easy to find online. We're on Facebook. Go over to Here's where it gets Crazy to meet the best part of the show, your fellow listeners. You can also find us on Twitter and Instagram, not just as a show, but as individuals.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: If you would like, you can find me on Instagram where I am at how Now, Noel Brown.
Speaker 2: Matt Underscore, Jimbay Dash, Frederick Overscore.
Speaker 1: Bongo Boy, ak Cornkid dot org yep. So you can also find me at Ben bull and hsw on Twitter. You can reach out to me directly at Ben Bullen on Instagram. I hate social media, you're saying, shaking your fist into the sky, but I have a story I need to tell you. We have good news for you. My friends.
Speaker 3: That's right. You can call one eight three three std WYTK and leave a message at the sound of Ben's dulcet tones.
Speaker 2: That is correct. We very much look forward to hearing from you. We are a bit behind. Hey, look, hey, we're catching up and we're getting there quickly. Please try and limit it to one message if you can, and keep it as brief as you can. Give us all that important information right up front. Hammer it home, and we will hopefully get you on the air on one of our listener mail episodes. Just let us know if you don't want us to play your voice or you don't want us to say your name on the air. One other thing here, we don't have much, if any Wikipedia presence as a s oh yeah, what's that about? Well? I think we have one mention on an old house stuff Works entry? Yes, how Stuff Works podcast. I'm just putting this out there. Hey, are you listening to this? And a Wiki editor?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: I don't know, put something on there. We we'd love to see even a like a silly entry.
Speaker 3: Now. I don't am I incorrectly assume that a lot of Wikipedia entries are done by the parties involved themselves.
Speaker 1: I think that's true, or maybe a pr agency some people higher, but I don't. I don't feel like it's ethical.
Speaker 3: We don't play that way, do we.
Speaker 1: No, And I'm surprised, Matt. I'm surprised that you bring this up because some doors don't close.
Speaker 2: So yeah, situation we're gonna live forever on the wiki.
Speaker 3: But please no stinging opening lines.
Speaker 1: If you would, If none of that white sends your the ship of your mind hurdling through dimensions in time, there is one other way. You can always contact us, regardless of where you're at, what you think about the Philadelphia Experiment or every other little thing under and beyond the sun, as our good old fashioned email address where.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.