Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and.
Speaker 2: The official Dallas Cowboys have now Here are.
Speaker 1: Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 2: Well, it's Monday at eleven oh two inside the SWBC podcast dot The rest of us have eleven o two, Everson Walls.
Speaker 1: That is a prime reason why they got rid of the old clocks, because you could change the arms up there, and they went digital, so guys that were late for meetings couldn't jack with the time.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't appear that Everson was late today.
Speaker 3: It appears that it is not.
Speaker 2: He's just out of breath.
Speaker 3: He's still getting dressed.
Speaker 1: I had a feeling, with all that's going on in this building today that their room parking was probably at a premium.
Speaker 3: I got lucky. Lucky, got lucky.
Speaker 4: Otherwise that would have been because you're ever since water been Toad, I have been told you have with him.
Speaker 1: I was thinking maybe because the fire alarm would went off, that they didn't let you guys in.
Speaker 2: I didn't know the fire alarm went off Oh it did, Oh it did.
Speaker 1: People cleared out. I found out that it was a monthly test or some sort of test over at the Omni, but at the hotel. But it set the alarm off here too, so I saw people leave.
Speaker 3: They used to do that all the time.
Speaker 4: Do the emergency broadcasting says U, huh, yeah, right, they still do that.
Speaker 2: This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. This is only a test.
Speaker 1: Our sirens used to go off.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on, Yes, there is this week and this day as well.
Speaker 3: Things going on.
Speaker 1: So they're at the Ford Center. They're doing their annual high school coaches clinic and there was a lot of coaches there and I and they're going to have like a luncheon, so check out my math. But there were four rows of ten tables of ten tops. That means they're set up for four hundred people, is that right? Uh? They were doing CPR training. The Red Cross was here, not only chess compressions, but also showing them how to use the aed fibulators then what they're called. They were practicing that when when I walked over there, and they were going to continue doing that.
Speaker 3: Nobody, nobody wants to have to use that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're teaching you. And I did the class here. And the thing on the AEDs is that the whole thing's automated, like it tells you step by step what to do, right, even if you didn't remember.
Speaker 3: And yet it would still be chaotic.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it would if you had to had to do that, you know. I just read a story I think it was in Sunday's paper. This couple was coming back from vacation and they were both nurses and they had somebody on the flight that quit breathing and was turning blue, and they went up and saved the guys on the floor of the plane. So yeah, those guys were going through. They have the little half demonstration mannequin or whatever where you learn to do the chess compressions. But anyway, so that's going on at the Ford Center, the East West.
Speaker 3: Shrine game to break through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, upstairs. The press conference post start at eleven o'clock right now. And then on top of that, the Cowboys have seven guys here for workouts, two of which are quarterbacks. Uh two were.
Speaker 3: Dbs and the red Jersie means what.
Speaker 1: Quarterbacks you don't touch them?
Speaker 2: Okay, even in a tryout a tryout, we don't want to be liable for that.
Speaker 1: And then and there were three wide they had to be wide receivers, just the numbers they gave them and how small.
Speaker 2: That will be the greatest contact we see this week is those tryout wide receivers going up against cornerbacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that won't happen.
Speaker 2: We won't see it either.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's regulations on workouts too, can't be too physical. And then tomorrow starts the three consecutive days of the mandatory mini camp. So yeah, a lot going on.
Speaker 3: Here, but.
Speaker 1: Marks what our last final final till training camp.
Speaker 2: Probly, this is our mandatory Mini Camp preview edition, nick Shots, and it doubles as our training camp preview edition, right, big shots. So we got a lot to get to, that's right.
Speaker 1: Because they will head out for training camp on July twenty fourth, final week in.
Speaker 2: July July twenty fourth.
Speaker 3: That doesn't seem too.
Speaker 1: Because by time you fly there and then the next day will be some sort of testing or whatever, and then that will be the press conference to the press conference, and then the next three days is probably the basically another mini camp before they actually allowed to practice, which is I think another three days and then probably by the first and second of August they'll put the pads on and actually do something.
Speaker 3: Just make sure, yes.
Speaker 4: That when it's time to give a specimen, that you have not woken up at three o'clock in the morning and already presented it into.
Speaker 1: And then you've got nothing, and.
Speaker 4: Then you got nothing, and then you have to wait until you can chow up for practice. You have to give a specimen. You can't go in to get the pad. So I'm sitting there because I made that mistake. I'm sitting there. You're considered the positive if you can't give a specimen, right, And so I'm sitting here, I, you know, made the mistake, woke up, woke up. Then here it is, I can't do it, So okay, you can't go to practice. And guess who else couldn't do it when I was with the giants, Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 3: So me and LT sitting there and I'm like, probably don't want it. Don't put me with this guy.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: Don't get her specials right, don't do that.
Speaker 1: The summer. The summer the summer after my freshman year in college, I had to go do the Selective Service exam.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And that was for the draft, for the draft, the real draft, the serious drolls. And they must have had the biggest bathroom you've ever seen, because they're processing a couple hundred people, right and uh they everybody there's urinals all over the place. The guy next to me couldn't do it. He just couldn't do it. I offered him some right, I like. And then and then they make this a novelce like over the intercom and they scream it because back then everybody was trying to get out of the draft, right, do something. I had to be wrong, and they just scream, where are the five guys? They can't you know? And they it was it was army language too, right, And the guy looked at me and he goes, I should to take use.
Speaker 3: Well, it traumatized me.
Speaker 4: It took me about ten years after I retired, because.
Speaker 1: You already is oh you were at the Giants. Yeah, already established.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but still I just that was uncomfortable for me. Yeah, you know, I never had that problem and so that one time I made that mistake and it took me ten years of Okay, well, am I you know, wake up, you know, three in the morning or whatever, and you thank God that you know you're free.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, All these years later, I'm still traumatized by that physical thing I believe took place. I believe because there were others.
Speaker 3: I always hesitate now when when I get up, I hesitate. I hesitate.
Speaker 1: My hearing machine broke down, and all of a sudden, this big old sergeant comes in and slaps me on the shoulder and he goes, quit trying to screw with your test. Manipulate, manipulate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the way they used the M word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, okay, And there was a couple other words in there too, And I thought my ears were ringing, right, So you had to push the button right or left where you hear it, and the buzzer in my right ear kept going off, and I kept pushing it right. And when he slapped me on the shoulder, I'm going, okay, what do I do now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And we're in these individual cubicles. Oh he was big. How small his hand was huge?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see. So I was probably about one hundred and thirty five pounds, right, So I said, so all these things got to be the same, right, So I can see the guy next to me, and I can see which elbow was moving. So I did whatever he did. End of the day, they came in and say, well, those of you that flunked the hearing test, the machines malfunction, you're gonna have to come back next Saturday and take the test over. I passed cheated sometime. You got to be resilient, you know.
Speaker 4: I thought we had a lot of important stuff we do. Well, we got my fault, we got.
Speaker 1: We got taken care of. So we've got the East West Shrine game that they've been moving around. I thought it was always in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: But he's our stadium.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but always thought that was very cool. East West Rine in northern California.
Speaker 1: But then they did it. Did they do it in Vegas? Uh?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They've moved it around, but it's coming here.
Speaker 2: Coming here next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What other notes? I had an also condolence to Hunt family, Norma Hunt.
Speaker 3: That's the way I saw that come across last night.
Speaker 1: Was on the weekend I think fifty seven consecutive Super Bowls she attended. Oh and how about this one? So was there a movie. It was called Close Encounters of the third kind like that. So I had a close encounter on Friday when I was leaving here. I'm getting ready to go down to the parking garage and uh, door opens to the elevator and George t walks off. So I got talked to George Tig. I go down, door opens and who should be going up?
Speaker 3: T oo?
Speaker 1: No? Who did we talk about half the show last week? Back back we started.
Speaker 2: The Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was Zeke. He was getting in the elevator to go up and he looks and we were both startled. Writ hey, how you doing? I go, fine, how are you doing? He goes, okay, you know his beard was cut shade nice and haircut was cut and he's getting ready to go up, and I go what are you doing? He goes, oh, well, yeah, I'm it's kind of waiting. I said, wow, we talked about you on Wednesday that you know you need to come back here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I said, is that a possibility? And he kind of laughed and oh, you never know.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait wait wait, I like how you it in there? Hoping he would get you something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to wait through Mickey's selective service to get to this final, to get to the lead, right, burying the lead.
Speaker 1: So I think he didn't say what he was doing, but I think he was going up to the Cowboy Club. Uh, probably meet Dak for lunch or something, because I found out that he didn't go into the front office or anything like that. I said, so, yeah, I said, you.
Speaker 3: Know, for almost got them for.
Speaker 1: A little bit of money and incentives, and he just kind of giggled as he giggled. I kept trying. I kept trying, but you know what, the door kept closing and he kept.
Speaker 2: Keep it it open so we can finish our conversation.
Speaker 1: Just seeing just that that was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: So that was on Friday. Thing. That was on Friday, right, Yeah, so that was the first day that.
Speaker 1: The new money was available.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: What are the I was putting?
Speaker 1: I was trying to put too and two together, right, but I think I got six and four putting.
Speaker 2: Two and one together, yeah, right there.
Speaker 1: So anyway, it was pretty funny, gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would like to put one in five together. Though he was college. The college team.
Speaker 1: The guys there to do the valet, they saw what happened. They were laughing, They go, boy, that was good timing.
Speaker 2: What did George t have to do with that?
Speaker 1: That was the start of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that guy to both respond that is here.
Speaker 3: Right t O.
Speaker 2: So anyway, George Stag and t O will always be linked always and they started each.
Speaker 1: Other that they probably make some money off it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but they didn't didn't like almost fight, you know, right.
Speaker 1: So that gets us to your previews of the mini game.
Speaker 2: Right and the one missing thing on this Cowboys roster, that's.
Speaker 6: Right my opinion, Yes, probably running back uh huh, fourth string quarterback and probably need to bring in another quarterback for at least training.
Speaker 2: Once they actually start practicing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got to openings. They're at ninety they're at eighty seven right now, or at least that's what the roster said. Uh for the O T A that we got to watch on Thursday, which they were very careful not to even put a hand up to try to defend the pass.
Speaker 3: We don't want any more bad thumbs.
Speaker 2: Answer right, Producer Supremes talking to me at the same time you're talking. So I didn't hear what happened there?
Speaker 1: What do we need to hear? What he had to say, well, you said eighty seven. You said there's two spots open, but this is three ninety three. Didn't I say three? You said two two? Three?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Three three spots sorry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, one for thank you Christopher, one.
Speaker 2: For a fourth quarterback, and one in a wild card kicker.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess we do need to get.
Speaker 1: And none of those guys look like kickers that they're working out today.
Speaker 4: Please don't let this be our Achilles heel for this season is a kicker.
Speaker 3: A kicker when we're doing everything, you know, running on.
Speaker 1: All score touchdowns.
Speaker 2: We need and that's where you need the big running backer. That's right.
Speaker 4: It comes back to which is more important because the kicker you got to have him for just consistency. You have to have someone you can rely on, which we had most of the year last year.
Speaker 3: But then we also would.
Speaker 2: You rather as first, as far as a kicker, would you rather have a kicker that makes every field goal and every extra point inside forty yards, makes every one of them inside forty five yards? Okay, every field goal inside forty five and every extra point? Or would you like one that might miss two all season inside forty five but can also bang it home from six.
Speaker 4: If it's only two, yeah, okay, but if you're talking five, that could happen.
Speaker 3: Hill.
Speaker 1: How about just one just inside forty No, it'd.
Speaker 4: Be nice if you you didn't just miss but but one. We're saying the highest, well, the lower.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what you had until the playoff game.
Speaker 3: I love the I want him back. I'm just being real.
Speaker 1: His only miss under fifty was forty six.
Speaker 4: And he had some clutch fifty your field goals, yes, that that helped.
Speaker 3: Us win the game.
Speaker 1: And his only two other misses were from fifty nine.
Speaker 3: Man, we talk about such a high ball for kickers and a low boy for.
Speaker 1: So whoever they bring in, they're not going to replicate it again.
Speaker 2: He was numbers twenty nine to thirty two. That's ninety one percent on field goals, guys, and he was fifty out of fifty three on extra points.
Speaker 1: I want to say four point three.
Speaker 3: That's good numbers.
Speaker 4: Bill, I'm sorry, that is good numbers until the playoffs. Until the playoffs, so man, you know everybody, no forgiveness for everybody.
Speaker 1: Was making a big deal out of Denver letting McManus go, Yeah, right, veteran kicker, he was seventy eight percent last year. That's why that and the fact that he was going to make four and a half million dollars.
Speaker 4: Like I got well, I like the guy that we used to have, and the fact that he's not even getting a chance.
Speaker 2: You liked him until the Tampa Bay until and into the next game.
Speaker 3: I can forgive you. I can forgive you for that.
Speaker 4: It happens, crap happens, and he got us there.
Speaker 3: He helped get us there.
Speaker 4: I mean, he was one of the he was one of the bright spots on the team, and we had a lot of bright spots.
Speaker 1: You know what's going to happen is he'll have to sit still and then somebody's going to get the training camp and struggle.
Speaker 3: With those numbers. And he still doesn't have many tryouts.
Speaker 1: Right, Hey, Denver brought him in after this the man.
Speaker 3: To me, guys, I mean, it's amazing to me.
Speaker 4: I know we're all supposed to be upset because of the playoffs, but man, this guy really did well.
Speaker 1: If somebody struggling at kicker, they're going to bring him in and say, okay, let's see you know, let's are you are you over what happened?
Speaker 3: Over what let's we could see that in playoff, we could see.
Speaker 4: That now, we could bring him in now and he's over and we're never gonna know if he's over it until we get back into that position again.
Speaker 1: And it's probably the same thing as Zeke. Somebody's gonna have to suffer an injury and they're gonna say, we.
Speaker 4: Don't suffer in regards to our productivity. And you know, I've been trying to figure this out, understand where everyone's coming from.
Speaker 3: But you know what, just the last show is how to finally say how I feel.
Speaker 1: This ain't like a bunch of tomatoes on a tomato plant. There's not a lot of guys available.
Speaker 3: Once again, that just leads to that's your problem.
Speaker 1: It's not like there's somebody out there just sitting there. That's great. Now, you got veteran guys, right, but they all got released by somebody for some reason. And then the young guys, you know what, two guys there are three maybe got drafted two, two, third in the third, one in the third, one in the fourth.
Speaker 4: Man, I hope this doesn't come back to just but it's even worse than it did in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: With his inability to make well. The fortunate thing was it didn't cost him. It was the difference between scoring thirty five points and thirty one points, right, which was how good this offense was.
Speaker 2: Would you like to know the details on the East West Shrine Bowl moving to the Star in Fresco the air a ninety ninth East West All Star Game to we played at the Star February first, twenty twenty four. Stephen Jones says, it is a tremendous honor to host the East West Shrine Bowl. The game is a fixture in college football.
Speaker 1: Now are they playing it at at and T.
Speaker 2: Or the Fortune at the star Ford Center? Star and Fresco.
Speaker 1: That's great for the scouting department. They just got to walk across the hallway.
Speaker 2: All right, let's look at the screen and there you have it there.
Speaker 1: Look at there the Shriners.
Speaker 3: There it is.
Speaker 6: And by the way, they look into the press conference that they just ended.
Speaker 2: By the way, the I can tell from personal experience, the Texas Scottish Right Hospital here in Dallas is one of the jewels our family. My oldest daughter, when she was a year and a half old, she was diagnosed with a hip displacement and she was born with it, and we spent some time at the Scottish Right Hospital. That's a wonderful place you gave.
Speaker 1: We know where the hip problem we already know, so.
Speaker 2: Neever I see those Shriners' hats, I have fun feelings about this Texas Scottish Right Hospital. All right, we continue with more mixed shots in just a moment.
Speaker 5: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas cow Boys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types of weight put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 3: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 5: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of honor the National Medal of Honor. Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour.
Speaker 3: The Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 4: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 1: Hey honey, can we talk?
Speaker 2: Of course? What's up?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 3: Have you felt this way a long time?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: I just think I'd really like the taste of Doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 2: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, babe. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're amazing too.
Speaker 2: Nude Doctor Pepper, strawberries and cream the new flavor you deserve demit shots.
Speaker 1: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys. From corporate homes to your home. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance, and call now two one four two two five four eight six to so Kpost Company dot com. And that's a good idea because I saw someone was trying to sell a house and when the people came and they did an inspection and the roof did not pass inspection and canceled the sale of that house. So get a hold of K Posts all right.
Speaker 2: Since we last convened, which was last Wednesday, the Cowboys had an open look at an Ota yes Thursday of last week, and Mickey, I would be interested in knowing your observations from that day.
Speaker 1: Well, folks were trying to make a big deal out of Michael Parsons working out in the off season in Austin, and he showed up for the voluntary OTAs that we got to watch, and he was there on Thursday. Diggs wasn't, but I hear he was on Friday. Parsons. Gosh, he must have done a twenty minute press conference, He's amazing, and he was basically talking about how he was trying to work on specific things at one of those workout centers and trying to get better, and he basically said he's put on Everybody tried to make this big deal that he put on weight to be a defensive end. He said, I put on muscle five pounds, So it's not like, Okay, I know I'm going to play defensive end sixty snaps a game or something like that. But the interesting thing I thought he said is he said, you know, I realized this whole thing is not about sacks. He goes, I'm kind of over that. He said. The important thing is to make plays when plays have to be made. He said, I want to be like Aaron Donell. You know how he takes over a game and he makes plays when plays have to be made. He said, So to me, I want to be the guy. I don't want to be the sack leader. I want to be the guy that makes the difference in games that the Cowboys win. I thought that was an interesting perspective heading into his third season. But yeah, you know what he could do a one man talk show. I swear he's unbelievable, right the stuff he comes up with the other thing that occurred to me, and it was kind of a neat scene. So they're doing special teams and the guys that weren't going to be on special teams are on the sideline right well, kneeling down sort of in front of me on one knee, from left to right was Michael Gallup, Brandon Cooks and ce D Lamb their backs to me. You can see their numbers and everything, and I'm going, that's what was missing last year, Brandon Cooks and Michael Gallup being Michael Gallup. And if they think that this offense needs fixing, which you know, they outscored the opponents last year by one hundred and twenty five points. But I always contended, and I don't know if you guys agreed with me, they were a receiver short because of Gallup. He wasn't Michael Gallup. Well, everything that I've seen in these OTAs, he's Michael Gallup. He's got his confidence back. You can tell the way he's moving. And if you have these three guys at wide receiver and they stay healthy, that's pretty formidable group right now. And it just struck me sitting there watching them from behind. And it's like they had to bring in t Y Hilton at the end to try to revive a struggling wide receiver clab.
Speaker 2: How about what they did at the beginning. They started Dennis Houston in the first.
Speaker 1: Game, Dennis Houston and was the third guide. No, Noah Brown, Brown's second right, So what everybody talk about they should have gotten DeAndre Hopkins. Well, this threesome right here, and just watching the way they were utilizing them when they were running eleven sort of on eleven. These guys were interchangeable. It wasn't like this guy's got to be outside, this guy's got to be insight. They were moving guys around. They would line up three guys to one side, and you didn't know which guy was going in motion.
Speaker 3: That is extremely key, right to have three.
Speaker 1: Because you can't you can't tip your hand.
Speaker 4: You always had the way it was in previous years. If you did change it up, you still were predictable on who you were going to right right, usually going to be ceedee Lamb. And now, like you said, interchangeable parts. If Gallup can work in the slot, that would be pretty.
Speaker 1: And they're giving them some reps that.
Speaker 4: Would be pretty would in the slot because he's always been left or right.
Speaker 3: I don't recall Michael Gallup ever running rout from the slot. Maybe I know, I think you're right, and so to.
Speaker 4: Be able to do that, that gives him a heads up on the DBS because now they can't really predict the routes he's going to run, or how close he's going to be to the sideline wherever his lineup is.
Speaker 1: And how difficult does that make for the defense.
Speaker 4: Because now you can't predict what he's going to run based on his alignment on the field. You always know he's going to be left to right. There's only so many routes you can run from the outside. But if you get him in the slot with that kind of speed and physicality, I'm hoping he can be physical because last year that's what came up and showed up against him. But if he can be physical like he always was before Michael Gallup got injured, he was one of the more athletic wide receivers I had ever seen period. I've seen him do some things, scoring a touchdown, it was on one leg.
Speaker 3: One time he was doing something crazy I'm going to look it up one of these days.
Speaker 4: But that's what you need with Michael Gallup is open up more possibilities from him for him from different areas of the field.
Speaker 1: If you go back before the ACL surgery and he missed the first I think it was six games in twenty twenty two. Was it a caf or an ankle something like that, But if you go back to twenty nineteen and twenty twenty, he combined for one hundred and twenty five catches one nine hundred and fifty yards, eleven touchdowns but maybe biggest fifteen point six a catch over those two yards two seasons. So if you get what it looks like you're seeing in OTAs from him, and you get that again and you bring that in with Brandon Cooks and then a Pro Bowl receiver like Michael by CD Lamb, man, that's a pretty good threesome. Gosh, that probably takes you back to when Amari Cooper was here.
Speaker 2: Which was what they were missing last year.
Speaker 1: Exactly, no, exactly, and see it was it was the one man show for CD Lamb and he had a fantastic season one hundred catches, thirteen hundred yards. So yeah, that was my biggest takeaway. I think from what we were able to see one hundred and seven catches for CD, thirteen fifty nine yards, nine touchdowns and five one hundred yard games, and the Pierre department figured out he's got ten over his first three seasons one hundred yard games and he trails only in Cowboys history Bob Hayes, who had thirteen in his first three years with the franchise. So that tells you what Ceedee Lamb can do. And he looks like he grew some shoulders in the offseason too. By the way, another person that looked like he put on some muscle was Jalen Tolbert and he was moving pretty well also, So you know, if you get those four guys, you've done a at a job.
Speaker 3: And I'm still worried about the tight end position, though.
Speaker 1: Ferguson looks really good and I guarantee you and I've been told this, he's already a better blocker than Dalton Schultz. So if I.
Speaker 2: Really liked Jake Ferguson, right, I mean, I don't think they're losing anything.
Speaker 1: Wisconsin, right. You had to block at Wisconsin to get on the field.
Speaker 2: After the kids I'm more concerned. Okay, so what about the second tight end? He's my first tid end.
Speaker 1: Well, right now, you've got to get scoon maker.
Speaker 2: How's going on with him?
Speaker 1: He had something done like.
Speaker 2: Planter fasci itis?
Speaker 1: Was that what it was? I was thinking it was a shoulder or something.
Speaker 2: Had a protective boot on his right foot.
Speaker 1: He had something procedure done, I think.
Speaker 2: But you know, now, limiting him in O t AS is not as big a concern as long as he's here learning everything right.
Speaker 1: And he's doing some things, just not a lot, you know. And if you're worried about someone getting down the field, Hendershot can do that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And they got more out of a Kew and then I think they thought they were going to get last year using him. Now the key thing would be if you can keep those three tight ends at tight end and they don't have to play h back, if the undrafted rookie can.
Speaker 2: Play full back hunter lipke, Yes.
Speaker 1: That would be a good combination. Although he does look like he has the size of a moose by the way, but uh, he's pretty versatile and I saw them moving him around in a lot of different spots too.
Speaker 4: I just found the touchdown. Yeah, that was such an amazing touchdown. He jumped over somebody with one leg and came down and still did a somersault and scored a touchdown.
Speaker 1: That was Michael Gallup. Gallup, I just saw the touchdown.
Speaker 4: I mean, to me, that was typical of the type of athleticism that he had. Then he jumps over a guy with one leg and comes down on that same leg and at the same time rolls over into the end zone untouched.
Speaker 3: That's just it's.
Speaker 4: Something that you just don't see from every wide receiver. So that's what we were dealing with. We were dealing with in that extremely athletic second receiver.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, he was showing a.
Speaker 4: Little bit more physicality than Cde Lamb was at one point because he was the guy that was ready to go and get the tough catch. CD was making the tough catches, but we were expecting that from him, but the really physical catches. Michael Gallup was doing that before he got in.
Speaker 1: And Dak was quoted as saying, he's starting to come back into who Michael Gallup is. He's getting his feet under him and he's going to be better. So if you add that to and Brandney Cooks can move now.
Speaker 4: He's still got really jack dude, and he's not that big.
Speaker 3: He seems to be muscular though.
Speaker 1: Yes he is. He's compact, right, And then CD, talking about just the whole bunch of them, was talking about how this could be one of the fastest groups. He didn't want to say the fastest. He goes, I don't want Coop coming after me, right because, but this might be one of the fastest groups I've ever been a part of.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing on Cooks, he's still in the prime of his I mean he doesn't turn thirty until September. He's twenty nine years old. Yeah, so all right, we continue. You know what I just thought of this This coming up here will be the last read of the off season. Oh no, spag Nola. He will make it a good one when we come back, the perfect one.
Speaker 1: It's a difficult one.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps of weight put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 3: For cryptopros, rookies.
Speaker 5: And anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 2: Hey Cowboys, Fins, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo kiero guacamole. Be the game day hero. The yo kiro means I want and we know you want.
Speaker 8: Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events, made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kiero guacamole.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 3: Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 4: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package todays.
Speaker 1: Register now for the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys Youth Camps presented by it in Visionline Athletes ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at at and T Stadium or Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by the current Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders. Use code camp twenty three and you get twenty five dollars off registration. Visit now cowboys dot com slash camps.
Speaker 4: I got two negative marks on that one too, William too.
Speaker 3: You hesitated.
Speaker 4: I almost I may take away one because you kind of improvised on that last area there.
Speaker 3: So I'll give you.
Speaker 2: One something you can work on over the next Yes, seven weeks before training camp for a.
Speaker 1: Training camp start, I'm sure he'll prioritize that. And I'm sure you guys are going to make a special effort to come out and join me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am for sure. Yes, DeAndre Hopkins? You have any interest in DeAndre Hopkins?
Speaker 1: I don't know that I have enough money for him.
Speaker 2: The question posed to Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones moments ago on if there is any interest in free agent wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins. Quote, he's not on this team right now. We went down the road with Cooks. We're very comfortable with Cooks. We're really pleased with our receiving group.
Speaker 3: If you could afford them, yeah, take him. But you can't afford them.
Speaker 1: He was supposed to make seventeen million this year. Is he taking a pay cut now?
Speaker 3: That he's he will.
Speaker 1: He will because he might not have a choice. I've heard somebody say, well, he'll play for ten million.
Speaker 3: I think he will.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think he will play for ten And that's why I say we can't afford them, because I think that will probably be bottom line.
Speaker 1: See, and from what I've been told, Zeke's money. Since they've got everybody signed already, right, so you've already accounted for your rookie pool extensions. And traditionally what the Cowboys have done with extensions like CD or Trayvon Diggs, they've done it in training camp when everybody's kind of there, right, everybody's together, and so some of that money could go into extending those guys. And you still have da by the way, if you wanted to do something there, You've got Parsons coming up. So it's not all about this year's salary cap. It's next year and the year after that. And oh, by the way, you know what, you ended up with a Pro Bowl center last year. And I know he was a replacement beyond us, but he was a Pro Bowl center and he's in the last year of his contract, and Terrence Steele, they would still like to sign him to an extension, and oh maybe Tony Pollard too, so he doesn't count ten million dollars against the cap. If they get a long term deal down with him, they would probably do three years with him, I would think, and that would lessen his cap impact for this year, which would create more money for these extensions. So where people look up and say, oh, the Cowboys got twenty million dollars, well, they want to go into the season with eight to ten for operating circumstances. So if you're going to use that other money for extensions, you don't have a lot of money to have a luxury of four receivers. If you added Hopkins, and you're probably not putting all four on the field.
Speaker 3: That they that's my thing.
Speaker 4: Someone's going to suffer, right, that's going to be a receiver that's going to be out of it. If you bring in Hopkins and those two receivers, I like all once again, right.
Speaker 2: They're going to run a run and shoot, you're gonna have four receivers out there starting.
Speaker 1: As long as they catch the darn.
Speaker 4: As long as they can't in all four of those guys they can catch it.
Speaker 2: Because you're paying plenty of money to the three other guys, I mean the three that you have right now.
Speaker 4: And I'm month ago. I would love to have him, but we just can't afford him. And I wouldn't say they were settling with what we have. I think we're very.
Speaker 1: Very That's what struck me when I saw those three guys together exactly.
Speaker 2: And so in DeAndre Hopkins case, does it behoove him unless he gets has a team like Cleveland, who's got money available to go ahead and sign whatever, to just wait until training camp, see what injuries happened, and then see you find teams with needs.
Speaker 1: Because I'm sure he didn't want to go through training camp, not that training camp so difficult like it was before. Right, we're guys that were veterans.
Speaker 3: To me, that kind of thought process.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping and he's not there, because if you're trying to make a difference in a team, that's that's the way I would. I wanted to be there for training camp. I don't want to come in after everything's always done. I want to be I want to be at Ota. I want to know my teammates going into training camp and at least get them to see what I can still do. And if I'm DeAndre, I don't want to go get in after with t Y like t Y didn't coming in later.
Speaker 3: But as it is right now are the fiber of the team.
Speaker 2: The ship has sailed on OTAs and yeah, now, so if you could sign, yeah, you could sign you know, whether it's him or Zeke or whatever, anyone out there. You could sign mid June and you'd have an opportunity to work with your co.
Speaker 3: That would be my worst case scenario, right.
Speaker 4: And if I'm a guy like like Zeke or DeAndre, I want to get in before training camp.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 1: Here's another thing from from CD being you know what he's he's sort of blatantly honest all the time. It came up about you know, what are they trying to do on offensively and you know, can they cut down on you know, the interceptions and you know there's a good case to be Seven of those fifteen weren't on the quarterback, right. Ce D said, I feel like that was our biggest problem for us last year. We were never on well we were not on the same We were on the same page, but not as often as we wanted to. There was a ton of brutal mistakes. And he's right, yeah, right, everybody, everybody thinks this offense needs to you know, like reinvent everything, right, Yeah, And it's like and his point, Now, no, we need to cut down on the mistakes. We just need to brush up, flesh out the mistakes. In Dak's first ten games back after the injury, not counting the final game when they got beat by Washington didn't mean anything. They scored six points. In those ten games. They averaged thirty five points a game. Now you're gonna blame Kellen Moore for that, probably not right. And in two of the losses, they scored twenty eight on the road against Green Bay get beat in overtime. Twenty eight should be enough.
Speaker 3: Jacksonville get beat on the road.
Speaker 1: Jacksonville when you scored thirty four points. So it wasn't like the offense was caught. Nowt I understand what happened in the playoff game, and the twelve points have clouded this whole circumstance here, right, Well.
Speaker 4: The twelve points was just is indicative of past records as well past non achievements. I mean, we've always stumbled in that moment that it wasn't just a twelve once was the fact that we stumbled again at that moment.
Speaker 1: And if you throw in the first playoff game, they should have scored thirty five, right, if he made us four extra points, that kind of gets us back to where we started yet scored it scored. You know, I heard somebody saying, yeah, well, they want to run the ball, moll or I looked at running the ball, and they ran the ball a hell of a lot this past season.
Speaker 4: The thing about the seasons, FAGS, is not about the entire season. It's the moments that we failed, which goes back to even the previous season. Unusual blowouts, just you know, uncharacteristic blowouts, things of that nature. That inconsistency has always followed us, even into good seasons. That last season wasn't that inconsistent. But once again, that was the Texans game. What are we doing here, right? Why do we have to have a great last you know, two minute drive to win that game? Here we get again, tough games against tough teams, we seem to falter.
Speaker 3: That's the problem that we has followed us.
Speaker 4: We blow Minnesota out, but then all of a sudden, we come back and we play badly against another team.
Speaker 3: Those are the things that have followed. It's not the season, it's those moments.
Speaker 1: Well, they basically no showed offensively in the season opener. All right, they got beat the one loss with Cooper Rush starting Philadelphia, Yes, all right, you didn't have your starting quarterback. And then when you had your starting quarterback, they didn't have theirs and the Cowboys beat them. Yeah, beat them bad, no doubt. The two overtime losses. So there's four of the five. And then what happened against Washington. So during the season that they stepped up. Can't lose on the road when you score thirty four points, just can't, and not on a drop pass that gets intercepted in return for the walk off touchdown. So yeah, offensively, okay, now you've made changes, but there's the bar. Can you can you average thirty five points a game in ten straight games?
Speaker 3: That was pretty articulate, there, bags.
Speaker 1: I like that, Thank you, And with that, I turn over the last nine minutes to you guys.
Speaker 2: We're going another nine minutes. We have no oh, I don't show after this. I'm not my stomach. There's no show, no show, So we can take it. Nine minutes Okay, so, uh well, if you made it this far, you might as well preview trading camp now training camp, because who's the who's going to be the most camp.
Speaker 1: Mini camp will be just kind of what we scenes.
Speaker 2: And fans can't see the many camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what they can't see, they can.
Speaker 2: See training camp and they can see the preseason games. And you know, the most intriguing player on this roster during the preseason will be.
Speaker 3: Will be Michael.
Speaker 2: Deuce Van.
Speaker 3: And you're right, yes, yeah does he does he interview comfortably? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yeah he is.
Speaker 1: He is, and they're you know, and in these kind of skeleton drills they do, even if it's team, he catches the ball really well out of the backfield they've got him working on.
Speaker 2: He does everything really well except get big, right in that part you can't change.
Speaker 4: I gotta say, I just did a football camp yesterday in Oklahoma City, and I just have to be standing by this young kid.
Speaker 3: You know, I guess about five eight, and I'm thinking he's taller than Deuce. The first thing I thought, he's taller than Deuce and he was little, and he's towering over Duke.
Speaker 4: I gotta see this, guys, I've got to see it. I've seen him play, but I've got to see it.
Speaker 1: They have him returning. He and Turpin were returning kicks and by the way, they've been using Turpin a lot with the second group of three wide receivers.
Speaker 2: Well, it was intriguing what Mike McCarthy said at the press conference. He was talking about players making the big jump from their first year to their second year, and he expressed optimism on both Jalen Tolbert and Sam Williams going into the second year. It was intriguing. What he said later about Turpin is that the big thing for him is being able to make that first to second year jump, right, you know, in terms of learning the offense and that sort of thing, and.
Speaker 4: In regards to his abilities period and he what he did as a returner, it's hard to jump up from that. It's hard to get better than he was as a return of because I thought he did a pretty good job.
Speaker 9: But I think he in terms of being used on off of course, it's more than the decoy or the end a round guy to sixty he was on the field for sixty two offensive snaps last year.
Speaker 1: What's that about? Five percent?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they never targeted him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So if they're going to target to get open or or it's being able to learn all the position to put him in the best situation.
Speaker 1: You know. And one of the things they need to do with him is throw him the ball on the move, not having him run and run, curl rout or throw it to him, you know. And if if you had to pull off some of the junk plays, were the guy's in motion coming around and then swing it to him.
Speaker 4: He needs picks. They need to set picks for him. If you set picks for him, you can catch him on the move and give him some.
Speaker 1: Space, right yeah, or start them moving and then throw it to him, you know, put him in motion and somebody's gonna have to go with him and you'll find out if they're playing zone or man the man, right and man the man. No one's gonna run with him. And I liked his body language in that Ota practice, like when they and it didn't matter if they were in team seven on seven or just throwing routes. If for some reason he didn't come down with a pass. They were practicing getting up high to catch one high pointing it and the ball got over his head. He didn't quite jump high, and he was mad at himself that he didn't catch it. He was wanting to catch everything, and I could tell that he's really working on that. So it'll be interesting to see. Plus, he'll come into this training camp a little fresher than he got there last year, like, after having played that season.
Speaker 2: In the USFL, USFL.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was, where he was the most invaluable offensive person and it wasn't just his returns. He was a good right wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Well, he not only had played in the USFL, but in the fall, he had played in Poland and prior to that, the previous he was playing football like continuously for an eighteen month period because he played in the spring league the year before and then he played in some indoor league as well during the summer months before going to Europe. Like, he sounds like he was on the run, So he's pretty good on the run.
Speaker 1: So that's you know, if he's your fifth option at wide receiver, not bad, and he's still returning and then you brought up Deuce and it'll be interesting to see how they can. You know, I'm going to assume he's going to make the team. How they can utilize him in different areas also, because when he was returning kickoffs, and I know they weren't blocking and tackling, but he had to look for lanes and he finds them easily. You know, I'm sitting up high, I can see him. Usually on the field, they're hard to see, and he would just swoop right into the open space.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I think I think Deuce is going to make an impact his rookie year.
Speaker 1: I really do another guy, just get them the ball right somehow, some way, and and see if people can find them.
Speaker 2: I mean, the way things are currently put together on this roster, Deuce is going to get a lot more snaps on offense than Cavante turpid Is.
Speaker 1: You're probably right.
Speaker 3: About that, But I wonder about that.
Speaker 2: They're going with the running backs they got right now, that's what's going to happen. Yeah, yeah, he's the right now you would. I mean, they don't have a depth chart right now. But who's who you got cowered? And then who's your two Joe? You like Davis or Ronald Jones?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 1: I like Malik Davis. I like him a lot. We'll see what happens with and then Deuce is your third guy, I think, yeah, yeah, oh no, he's a He is a third down back, right right, as long as you're using him as a back and not as a past protect picking up, Yeah, that might be a little bit difficult.
Speaker 2: But he's got the skills where he can blame him in the slot.
Speaker 4: You got right, Never forget, I'll tell you. I know y'all probably remember every touchdown I gave up. I just remember every one.
Speaker 2: Don't remember any I remember too.
Speaker 1: That weren't his fault.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, was right, there was that one. I forgot. It wasn't my fault that one.
Speaker 2: All right. Two minute warning goes to both benches. We need a partying mix shot for the off season.
Speaker 3: Yes we do, Yes, we do.
Speaker 2: What was the highlight of the off season, Mickey, the.
Speaker 1: Two trades for Brandon Cooks and Stefan Gilmore. That was the highlights year. That they used a fifth round pick and a sixth round pick this year to bring in two spots that needed to be reinforced.
Speaker 4: And those were chosen too, and that helped us, right, it helped us improve our roster from a veterans standpoint.
Speaker 3: So our draft alone includes veterans.
Speaker 1: And that's spent some salary cap money to do it too. Everybody says the Cowboys are too afraid to do stuff. No, they did what they needed to do. And then he went into the draft, and you didn't have to draft a wide receiver high and you didn't have to draft a cornerback because you're still the other thing is you're still not sure about Jordan Lewis where he's at with the list Frank problem. And he he said he was hoping to be ready for the start of camp. And and when he started talking about having a new foot, I like the how that sound, you know, because he's they're basically saying they're telling him his foot will never be like it was before suffering this injury. While it's a lot to come back from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: But you know when they were out there, So.
Speaker 2: That's why Kelvin Joseph's working in the slots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's that's yeah, that's definitely why.
Speaker 1: And if he can just know what to do and not be so jumpy out there, he's got such physical skills.
Speaker 3: It's under you can come to this high school camp that I'm going to be coaching. Uh right, we'll get it right, We'll get it.
Speaker 1: Hey, DeMarcus was here you know for that one. O t a working with the defensive uh, the defensive ends. So yeah, maybe you need to get out there with your man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've got Joye t We're good.
Speaker 1: He was a safety.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 10: Well that does it for another off season of Dallas. Well, find reasons why for lunch, Find a reason to get to La during training.
Speaker 3: Oh, that will not be a problem.
Speaker 1: You've had so many business opportunities.
Speaker 2: Just one big signing the Cowboys need to make before the training camp starts. He'll be ready to go kicker. Sorry, actually I was talking about someone else. Pay to visit here on Friday's right to one now, all right, and we will shout at you next time on Mixed Shots from Training Camp twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboy