Speaker 1: All media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: Everyone, it's me James, and I'm coming at you today with one of these little requests that I make sometimes when there's something that we would like you to do, when it's very important to do. So today I want to talk to you about Syria and specifically Northeast Syria. So with the world's eyes fixed on Syria, many are rightly celebrating as a brutal dictatorship of Bashara Lasad comes to an end. But for Kurdish and other minority communities, recent days have bought violent attacks, ethnic cleansing and occupation by Turkey's back Jahadis groups in an attempt to take advantage of the chaos by crushing the Rajava Revolution. Turkey and it's most openly committing war crimes against the regions autonomous communities. Many thousands have already been forced to be displaced and thousands more are in danger. To make matters worth this remains largely absent from the mainstream media reporting on Syria. If you'd like to share your solidarity with the people of northern and Eastern Syria, please call on Congress to take urgent action by passing the emergency legislation to stop the violence, hold Turkey accountable, and commit US sport to the Syrian Democratic forces and the diverse communities under their protection. If you want to take action today, you can go to defend Rajaba dot org. That's d E F E N d R oja va dot org. If you are able to the most effective action we can take right now is to call a couple of representatives, one representative and one Senator.
Speaker 4: A representative would be Gregory Meeks. He's from New York.
Speaker 1: He's a Democrat. He is a ranking member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. His phone number is two zero two two two five three four six one Leevlon Bee. Senator James rish He's an Idaho Republican. He is a ranking member's Senate Foreign Relations committee. His phone number would be two zero two two two four two seven five two. If you'd like to have some talking points, you can find those on Defendbrajaba dot org. If you'd like to donate financially instead, especially to this humanitarian aid effort for the tens of thousands of people who have been displaced by the SNA's advances, you can donate to two organizations that I would suggest to. First would be Heavier Sre the Curtis Red Crescent. That's h E YVA s O R dot com and you want to go slash e n If you want to see their website in English, you can donate there. The other one will be the Free Burma Rangers who are currently working in Raka. I was talking to my friend Habat who works with them. You can donate to them at www dot free Free Burma b U r m A Rangers dot com. We will put all of this in the show notes, although if you're driving you have to write them down. Those are the concrete ways that we can help right now and what is unfolding as a very terrible situation in No Syria. Thanks, I hope you do an episode.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to it. Could happen to hear a podcast about Garrison Davis talking to me. Also, the world falling apart? How do you feel about that? Gear? How you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty used to it by now, honestly. Yeah, we've been doing this whole thing for quite a quite a while.
Speaker 2: You sure have.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed that some of these some of these cabinet picks are a little funny, They're a little bit odd.
Speaker 4: Have you noticed that yet? I don't know. I get kind of a funny feeling about some of these guys.
Speaker 2: You've heard about this? Are you hearing about this? Yeah? I don't love it either, Gear. They don't seem cool and good.
Speaker 3: I mean, not all of them are like sticking around. I guess you know. Matt Gatz is now out of the job. Tragic, kind of like Icarus. He flew he flew too close to an elementary sc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've already got our scare Mucci. I was gonna make a Scaremuccie joke, but your joke was much better.
Speaker 3: It was a really fast turnaround for Gates too. Yeah, and now we're all watching Pete to see if he if cures the top job at the Pentagon. But today we're talking about this other guy named Cash Patel. How do you feel about Cash Ptel, Robert.
Speaker 2: Uh, not thrilled, kind of worry, not thrilled. Matt Gates really seemed like the kind of guy you used to make your sketchy Secret police and Cash Pattel as I guess your backup to that guy.
Speaker 3: Totally, yeah, or at least, like I don't know. Cash is different in a few ways, Like he does a lot more kind of dirty work because he's not like important as a person. He just wants to be seen by Daddy Trump. And this episode, we're gonna get into a little bit of Cash's backstory, what his plans are for the FBI as he is now nominated for the position of being director of the FBI, as well as kind of what Cash been up to in the four years since Trump's been out of office. So let's just start all the way back to the beginning for background on mister Patel here. Okay, So, Cash Pattel was born in New York, but after graduating law school in two thousand and five, he worked as a public defender in Florida for nine years before becoming a federal prosecutor in the National Security Division of the DOJ. He didn't really want to be a public defender. It's that he really couldn't get any other jobs because he wasn't like that's skilled. So he ended up just working as a public defender, even though it wasn't really what he wanted to do out of law. But once he got to the DOJ, he worked as a terrorism prosecutor. According to a DoD profile, Patel quote led investigations spanning multiple theaters of conflict and oversaw the successful prosecution of criminals aligned with al Qaeda, ISIS, and other terroot groups unquote. Patel also worked with quote counter terrorism units to conduct collaborative global targeting operations against high value terrorism targets unquote.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, I'm sure he was good at that job. I'm sure he didn't have any really embarrassing failures during that period of time.
Speaker 3: No, No, I say that just for kind of his like more like surveillance background. But we will certainly get to his ability to complete these jobs on a reliable basis and like. Although that info is directly from the DoD's website, Patel himself has exaggerated his career record, claiming in a YouTube podcast to have been the quote unquote lead prosecutor in the case against the twenty twelve Benghazi attackers. Patel actually was not even part of the trial team, was only a junior staff member at the DOJ at the time, and he was removed from this case for clashing with the US Attorney's office. But this incident kind of marks the start of a few unfortunate events in his career that really started to kind of turn Patel against the justice system. To the New York Times, in twenty sixteen, Patel was thrown out of a courtroom for wearing quote rumpled khakis, boat shoes and a too small borrowed jacket unquote.
Speaker 2: I hate that he's got on my cousin Vinnie in his record, because that movie is great and it gets me on his side in a way I definitely shouldn't be. Did he Did he come in next wearing like a funeral director's tuxedo or a fucking band leader's tuxedo or whatever. I don't know how to describe the tuxedo Vinie Weares in the scene after that, anyway.
Speaker 3: No, he was just kicked out of the courtroom, with the judge saying, quote if you want to be a lawyer dressed like a lawyer unquote. Now this judge was also like a racist asshole. Not defending the judge here.
Speaker 2: And to be clear, Cash Bettel was not dating Marisitome.
Speaker 4: He could never pull Marsitome.
Speaker 2: He could never pull I mean, honestly jokes, who can That's yeah.
Speaker 3: But this incident is an important part of his career trajectory. A profile in The Atlantic details Patel as growing increasingly frustrated and disillusioned by his failure to navigate and rise up in the justice system, just collecting more and more personal grievances that fuel an animosity towards the bureaucracy of the legal system, based on people's apparent unwillingness to help him excel in his own career. But in twenty eighteen, Patel got his really first like big break, with Republican Representative Devin and Nunez hiring Patel to be the House Intelligence Committee's lead investigator to disrupt the Special Council investigation into Russian interference in the twenty sixteen election. Trump was impressed enough with Patel's work under Nunez that he gave Patel a job on the National Security Council and later served as chief of staff to Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller. Trump mused about having Patel as deputy director of the FBI or director of the CIA in late twenty twenty after the election, but this led to harsh resistance from within his own administration, with ag Bill Barr saying that Patel would only become FBI director quote over my dead body, unquote. So I don't know if we'll have any updates on that, yeah say. But instead, back in twenty twenty, Trump just put Patel on the Pentagon transition team. Trump basically tasked Patel was doing dirty work and awarded him with promotions for following orders. Patel advised on the Ukraine impeachment, spread conspiracy theories that Ukraine, not Russia, meddled in the twenty sixteen election, created a list of intelligence agency officials to fire in February of twenty twenty, and helped manage the now dismissed a classified documents case against Trump. The former deputy national advisor to Trump, Charles Kupperman, said in an interview quote Trump wanted to make Cash a political executioner to root out and fire individuals on the White House staff who weren't being as loyal as he thought they should be unquote. So that's kind of a good look at him as a person, and like what Cash's rule is like specifically for Trump and with the possibility of the justice system becoming just more and more of like a tool to target Trump's political rivals, Cash is the exact guy that you would pick, especially for a job that has like an investigative focus like the FBI. But Cash isn't always good at his job necessarily.
Speaker 2: Well, who amongst us?
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk about one specific incident here that's one of like the wildest stories in like national security that I've ever read. In October of twenty twenty four, days before the election, the Pentagon was planning an operation for Sale Team six to rescue an American citizen, Philip Walton, who was kidnapped in Niger and being held in Nigeria. As the State Department was working to communicate with officials in Nigeria to clear airspace for the operation, Patel, who was not part of this operation, just called the Pentagon saying that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had gotten approval from Nigeria and the airspace was deconflicted, so as the Seals were about to land in Nigeria, defense officials couldn't verify that the flight actually had clearance, leaving the aircraft to circle over the target for hours as they scrambled to get approval from Nigeria. According to former Defense Secretary Mark Esper, Patel was never in communication with Mike Pompeo about this mission, and Defense officials concluded that Patel quote made the approval story up. Unquote. Cool guy, this is wild. You almost caught Sealed Team six like shot out of the air because you made up a story about having flight clearance.
Speaker 4: It's like, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, this is exactly the guy you want running the FBI, for sure.
Speaker 3: A Pentagon official yelled at Cash, quote, you could have gotten those guys killed. What the fuck were you thinking, to which Cash replied, if no, but it got hurt. Who the fuck cares?
Speaker 2: Amazing stuff, amazing stuff.
Speaker 4: Let him cook crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: Look, here's the thing, Garrison, if it had gone the worst possible way it could have gone, we'd have been saved at least four interminable books and at least three podcasts.
Speaker 3: So like people like interviewed in the Atlantic, and I think the author of the profile on Cash kind of muses that, like maybe Cash just wanted this operation done before the election to give Trump like an extra win leading up to the polls. I don't know, it's it's it's certainly odd, but like Cash has a very like inflated sense of like personal worth. In an interview with Glenn Beck, he talked about how like people should should trust his expertise because quote, I've read the entire JFK file.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, geez you and Oliver Stone.
Speaker 3: Right, he makes comments like that, It's like no, no, no, like trust me. I know everything, Like I've read all the classified stuff that you're not allowed to. I'm like the smartest guy in the room. I've read everything, right, Like he's he uses this as like a as a way to like inflate his own personal worth and like flex to weird right wing online podcast.
Speaker 2: S grifters people have made this point. But it's guys like this that have convinced me that there's no at least no like perfectly known to intelligence smoking gun about the Kennedy assassination. That shit would have leaked so quickly no, if not before Trump was in office, then certainly about the time he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you have guys like Cash Battel reading these files.
Speaker 4: There's nothing in there.
Speaker 2: There's no or at least if there is, it's the kind of thing there may be a smoking gun that someone who is deeply knowledgeable at the time period be like, oh, the fact that this guy was here at this time really means that this other thing happened, and like, yeah, yeah, the Cash Hotel doesn't know shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is not smart enough to put any pieces together or maybe there's even still redacted and the versions that he's reading don't really have any like pertinent info.
Speaker 2: Right. People are just like, let's not give this guy the real one.
Speaker 3: No, No, this guy likelying about prosecuting the Bengazi attackers and almost got Seal Team six killed.
Speaker 2: Now, oh man, and of all this, out of all the Seal teams to get killed too, that's the one that would be the biggest news day.
Speaker 3: Do you know who would never kill Seal Team six?
Speaker 2: Robert I'm never gonna say never about killing Seal Team six.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, hopefully allegedly these products and services would never wish harm upon Seal Team six.
Speaker 4: All right, we are back.
Speaker 3: I'd like to talk a little bit now about Patel's actual plans for the FBI. Now, this job doesn't require a Senate confirmation, so we will see, you know, if he gets past that process or if he's gonna get pushed in through recess appointments, which we still don't really know if Trump will be able to pull off. But in terms of the FBI, we do have some idea about what cas has in mind, because he spent the past two years just talking about it a NonStop in books and interviews.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he, like all these guys, cannot shut.
Speaker 4: Up, can't stop talking.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: In an appearance on The Sean Ryan Show in this past September, Patel said, quote, I'd shut down the FBI Hoover building on day one and reopen it the next day as a museum of the deep state. Unquote Okay, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Sure, I do feel like you're underestimating the expensive office space and overestimating the availability of it, but sure, why not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think they can make a whole museum turn around in one day.
Speaker 2: But I also think you are really really underappreciating docents. It is not easy to get a docent up to speed, like, for example, it's a much harder job than you currently have.
Speaker 3: No, like Patel does talk about like trying to like clear out like the bureaucracy and red tape of the FBI. And though he has criticized the wide footprint of the FBI and its surveillance operations though really only the ones targeted against Trump and his campaign, Cash's ideal FBI would not in fact have like a more limited presence out in the world, saying that after closing the Hoover Building, quote, then I'd take the seven thousand employees that work in that building and send them across America to chase down criminals. Go be cops, your cops, go be cops unquote. So this is what you give like a seven year old the keys to the FBI, And this is this is this is the kind of stuff he's talking about. Yeah, it's like I'm going to send all these administrative employees out into the world to chase down criminals.
Speaker 2: Now you say that, Garrison, I absolutely would put a seven year old in charge of the FBI. You know why. That's a blockbuster movie. Now, to be fair, that's a nineteen ninety seven blockbuster. But yeah, yeah, it's like that could thirty years ago. Can you imagine the cat cat young Mara Wilson running the FBI, fucking FBI. Yeah, perfect.
Speaker 3: You know, if we said it a little bit further, we could have like will we as like the villain, you know, like the.
Speaker 2: Evil kid heading the CIA. They also put it, but they put Will Wheaton in charge of the CIA.
Speaker 4: Yes, damn all right.
Speaker 2: You know what, Garrison, this podcast is done. You and I are writing a screenplay tonight.
Speaker 3: With the power of AI, I can just generate this whole movie instantly.
Speaker 2: Perfect, with a truly ghoulish guest appearance by Robin Williams. Just the worst taste imaginable.
Speaker 3: No, sorry, President Williams. God, oh dear, nightmare nightmare fuel. Now it's it's really unclear if if like Cash's plans here are like rhetoric, right, like you know, more vibes than like actual plan, you know, like expressing some kind of sentiment rather than like an actual practical like plan. But last year, Patel published a book titled Government Gangsters, the Deep State, The Truth and the Battle for Our Democracy, where he also proposed relocating the FBI headquarters out of Washington, d C. To quote prevent institutional capture and curb FBI leadership from engaging in political gamesmanship unquote, though the bulk of this book also details like why we must root out politicians, journalists, big tech, and quote unquote members of the unelected bureaucracy that operate the deep state, so you know, like the FBI engaging in a little bit of political gamesmanship is okay. In the appendix of this book, it contains the names of sixty alleged members of the deep state, most of them either like former Trump cabinet people who like turned on Trump or just like current Biden adamin people. It's all pretty silly, but it's not like he actually plans to take out political prosecutions away from like the FBI's operational structure. Like, come on, buddy, this is like your entire plan. In an interview with Steve Bannon last year, Patel reiterated the goal of targeted prosecutions against political enemies, saying, quote, we will go out and the conspirators, not just in the government, but in the media. Yes, we're going to come after people in the media who lied about American citizens, who helped Joe Biden rig presidential elections. We're going to come after you unquote.
Speaker 4: So that's cool.
Speaker 3: Again, It's this is this is the basic stuff that Trump's been promising since like you know, the past four years, going after journalists, going after politicians.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This quote specifically also just like reminded me that like there's like a real possibility that like the head of the FBI legitimately thinks the twenty twenty election was stolen. And like then I got to thinking, like how many of like the people operating the highest levels of government now genuinely believe the election was stolen in twenty twenty, which is like kind of kind of threw me for a loop. I like didn't really like process that like concept of like how just broken the reality structure will be with something like so like clear, yep, that's his FBI plans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, Well, seems like it's gonna end well for everybody. I don't know, what do you think you think he's gonna get confirmed? Because he's one I'm saying. People are focusing now that Gates is out, people are focusing way more on heg Seth, which is probably the priority because my god, that man should not be leading the Department of Defense.
Speaker 4: Because he's going to start a war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's going to He's going to drunkenly and accidentally start a war. I'm not even worried about him like launching a conflict with China, right, Like we're going to wind up fighting an insurgency against the Portuguese because he gets fucking hammered and mixes up a couple of letters.
Speaker 3: Like I mean, I'm also like really concerned about Tulci Gabbard.
Speaker 2: Gabbard is top of my list because she is has just never met a dictator she doesn't like, and yeah, that's a scary person having that job.
Speaker 3: Patello's really bad and we're going to get into some more of his like kind of crank beliefs, but there is a level of basic competence. The fact that Tulci has been able to get into this position despite very very clearly having like deep sympathetic ties to Assad in Russia is like, yeah, super right.
Speaker 1: Name.
Speaker 2: She's evil but smart and incredibly power hungry. That's all that matters to her is getting into power. And she has things that she believes, and what we know of the things that she believes is chilling, like, yeah, but that's yeah, and we don't we we're talking about someone besides Tulci today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: Now, since twenty twenty, Cash Patel has served on the board of directors for the parent company of Truth Social called Trump Media Technology Group, so he's been part of the team operating you know, Trump's version of Twitter, and back in twenty twenty two, Patel was openly talking about how, like the truth Social staff, we're trying to quote unquote incorporate to QAnon into our overall messaging scheme to capture audiences. So this is this, this is the section where we're going to really get into Patel's super super heavy q ties, which is kind of like a throwback.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: We don't really talk about QAnon as much anymore, And I don't think Patel's interest in this is genuine. I think it is just to like, no, grow both his own brand and help boost the stock of truth Social. It's still like the closest that anyone in Trump's team has gotten to like openly endorsing q and on and like repeatedly True Social staff operate an account at q forms to piggyback off of q Andon's popularity. And draw in popular Q and on influencers. In February twenty twenty two, Patel posted a photo of a beer pint and the arm of someone wearing a flannel shirt, with text saying he was quote having a beer with Q right now unquote. Ptel continued to frequently interact with the Q account, make Q and on related posts, and do reoccurring appearances on Q and on linked podcasts, most notably the X twenty two Report, The Matrix Xxx Grove Show, and Red Pill seventy eight. It's been a while since I've listened to these types of shows, and it was it was like a huge throwback, ah man, and they're like all chugging along and now they're like chugging along better than ever, which is, you know, not ideal for me on these shows. Cash has praised the Q and on fandom researchers, saying both he and the President have been impressed. It's all like very pandering, but it really works for these people I've seen.
Speaker 6: On social media, on Trump, on truth social How could these researchers are? And I kind of wish I had some of them when I was doing Russia again, some of these other things you know, Devin and I talk regularly, and then you know, I talk with the President all the time as well, and we're just blown away at the amount of acumen some of these people have and how quick they are to grab it and suss through it and sort of thin it down and make it presentable.
Speaker 3: Later in that interview, Patel openly said that he publishes government documents on his website, Fight with Cash dot Com, specifically so that QAnon researchers will dig through them to make QAnon content. He openly said that's like why he'd like posts these documents.
Speaker 2: You see again, I'm sympathetic. Everything I do is for content, Garrison. That's that's just the way the world works now. Now the content must flow.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Patel also has books just like you. Although he's been signing copies of his with the q andon phrase where we go one, do we go All?
Speaker 2: I mean, I do that too, and he.
Speaker 3: Has defended his use of the slogan on these QAnon podcasts, like in this clip from the Matrix xx Groove show where we go on.
Speaker 6: Where we Go All is, as you said, from a great movie that I watched a long time ago, and people took to it and so what you know, it doesn't mean everyone's a conspiracy theorist. And people keep asking me about all this cue stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what does it matter.
Speaker 6: What I'm telling you is that there is truth in a lot of things that many people say, and what I'm putting out there is the truth. And how about we have some fun along the way.
Speaker 4: There's so many.
Speaker 6: People who subscribed to the where we go on, we go on all mantra, and it's what's wrong with it?
Speaker 3: I'm going to quote now from an article in Media Matters by Alex Kaplan, who's been reporting on Patel and his ties to QAnon since twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: On yet another show in June twenty twenty two, Patel went even further, saying of q and on quote, we try to incorporate it into our overall messaging scheme to capture audiences because whoever that person is has certainly captured a widespread breadth of the Mega and America First movement. And so what I try to do, is what I try to do with anything q or otherwise, is you can't ignore that group of people that has such a strong dominant following unquote in the interview, Petel also said of Q and on there's a lot of good to a lot of it, and he agreed with the co host who said Q has been so right on so many things, saying, quote, I agree with you. He shall get credit for all the things he has accomplished because it's hard to establish a movement. Let's call it that, because that's what it is.
Speaker 4: Unquote. Oh boy, do you know what's also hard to establish?
Speaker 2: Robert uh an alibi.
Speaker 3: An alibi, and you know some people's alibis could be reading ads like the one that we're about to do right now.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's always my alibi.
Speaker 3: That really is always your fun Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, we are back now.
Speaker 3: In these podcast guest appearances, he would often plug his book and advocate that listeners just join truth social and engagement with these more niche online streaming shows and podcasts fortifies the right wing online media ecosystem and draws people away from mainstream news like this is why he was going on those shows so much back in twenty twenty two, and Patel basically says as much on this episode of the X twenty two Report.
Speaker 6: They will never trust the fake news media again and for us that's always been the championing cause to get our people and mainstream America listening to your show rather than CNN and reading the New York Post or excuse me, the New York Times and the Washington Post.
Speaker 3: And I think part of why he's doing this, and whether he was told to do it or whether he just did it on his own volition, is that like having someone who's seen as being close to Trump, especially with national secured experience, it helps keep Trump supporters politically engaged by making them feel like they are getting special access to like exclusive information. It's all a part of keeping the mega movement alive when their site is not in power, while also building up a ground base of support in preparation for them to take power back. And that's what he did like a lot in twenty twenty two. Most of those podcasts were leading up to the midterms as well, so it is part of this general political strategy to engage with these like much more niche kind of smaller QAnon shows, which not only does like you know, grow their audience over time as well, it does help their audience grow, it also just establishes like a completely siloed media ecosystem away from mainstream news like that. That is part of what they're doing, right. That's why Trump made truth Social is to create more of these reality tunnels, more of these like information silos. Now, Patel kept busy in between twenty twenty and twenty twenty four with a variety of kind of griff ventures. I'm going to quote from the New York Times here.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 3: Mister Patel's company, Trishel, collects consulting fees, including one hundred and thirty thousand dollars last year from mister Trump's Truth Social site. He also made three hundred and twenty five thousand dollars over two years for strategy consulting for the pro Trump Save America pack and one hundred and forty five and twenty twenty one for fundraising consulting from friends of Matt Gates, the campaign committee for the now former House Republican from Florida.
Speaker 4: Unquote now.
Speaker 3: Last year, Patel's nonprofit charity, the Cash Foundation, received one point three million dollars in revenue, mostly from donations, though it's reported expenses totaled six hundred and seventy four thousand dollars wow, which is the majority of the moundy and nearly half of that was spent on promotion and advertising. According to The New York Times, the charity spent more on ads than they act actually gave away, which is fantastic charity work.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck, good work.
Speaker 3: Through this foundation, he also sells cash merchandise which is spelled K money sign.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, that's that guy's gonna really fbi.
Speaker 3: Well, including six packs of wine for two hundred and forty bucks and fifty dollars golf polo shirts. Part of these polo shirts have this like, you know, like pro America branding. I want to read the description of one of them. Tired of seeing your money go overseas, support your fellow Americans by purchasing our T shirt. Where do you think this T shirt's made?
Speaker 4: Robert China?
Speaker 3: Well it's made in Haiti, oh Haiti.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, the America of the Ocean.
Speaker 4: And South America.
Speaker 3: So you know you're still supporting Americans, just South Americans.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Now this foundation is also fun to defamation lawsuits for a stop the steal activist and his friend and former boss at National Intelligence. But Patel's grifting does go beyond his foundation. Just earlier this year, Patel was hawking anti vaccine supplement pills from the company Warrior Essentials Wow, specifically the pills that claim to reverse the effects of the COVID nineteen vaccine.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: What if these pills just give you covid, they're just COVID pills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you just want to get covid.
Speaker 4: Want to reverse the effects of the vaccine.
Speaker 2: It's a performance enhancered you know, if we could conviit, well, that's to say, if we could convince Joe Rogan covids to performance enhancer. I don't think we could get Joe Rogan's fans to spread any more disease than they already do. Yeah, that's impossible.
Speaker 3: So this product that Patel was selling is called no Covid Dome, and it's allegedly formulated to quote destroy the toxic spike unquote caused by the mRNA vaccine.
Speaker 2: Now we should have called the COVID vaccines no covid it's a good name. That was just leaving money on the table. Or Novid.
Speaker 4: No It's good.
Speaker 2: Novid would have been a great note.
Speaker 4: It's good. Yeah, Novid's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I go.
Speaker 3: According to journalist James Little, these no Covidum pills just contain basic supplement ingredients like tumeric extract, green tea extract, and vitamin D.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a subscription for a thirty day supply is for forty nine dollars and ninety eight cents. Jesus chries, and a single order of pills is fifty nine dollars in ninety eight cents. They're really pushing the subscription because you gotta keep doing more pills every thirty days in order to really keep the vacs suppressed. In a post this past February on True Social Patel truth Spike the vacs order this home run kit to ridge your body of the harms of the vacs.
Speaker 4: Unquote, my god.
Speaker 3: I just can't believe that a guy like this could be FBI director. It's just it just it makes me.
Speaker 2: It's it's I mean, it probably will wind up being much more dangerous. But there is a version of this where the FBI just pivots to selling supplements like where you get where you get your estrogen and testosterone through the MBI. Look, as long as it's market it is like a performance enhancement.
Speaker 3: I would love to believe that a guy like this will lead to just general and competence. But I just can't let myself believe that, Like I think it's just going to become more and more targeted against like people who are good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're going to start, yeah with them. I mean it looks like just based on his enemy lists, they're going to start with Biden administration officials and people in the government. But like it won't end there. It's going to depend on what happens, Like it'll be a reactive, violent organization, which to a degree it always has been, but there's always been like more of a sense of like predictability that will not be present well.
Speaker 3: And specifically, Like you know, Patel has also been a recurring Gray Zone guest and is pretty close with that whole crew.
Speaker 4: That's not great for certain.
Speaker 3: People, but he really is the gift that keeps on giving in terms of like odd anecdotes, including his trilogy of books, which will be kind of the last thing I talk about here. So over the course of the past three years, Patel has written and published a children's book trilogy titled The Plot Against the King, where Patel himself appears as a wizard to defend King Donald from enemy plots.
Speaker 2: Oh God, the one thing we all used to be able to agree on is that we don't like kings.
Speaker 3: Here no, but now we have the FBI director who fancies himself the wizard to protect the king. I am going to read the description from the first book here quote a fantastical retelling of the terrible true story. Hillary Queenton and her shifty nine had spread lies that King Donald had cheated to become king. They claimed he was working with the Russianians.
Speaker 2: But how could that be Russians?
Speaker 4: Russian Onians.
Speaker 3: It's it's bad, okay, r U S S I O N I A N S.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of thing the FBI should be cracking down on. That's all. That's all I'll say about that.
Speaker 3: Cash the distinguished discoverer joined him as he uncovers the plot against the king and who was really behind all the lies unquote. Now Patel referred to this as quote the first ever children's Russia gate books unquote, which I gotta give him to him.
Speaker 4: That's probably true.
Speaker 2: That's almost well, no, because okay, you know what, I don't think it is, but it came from the opposite side. Do you remember when the fucking Crassenstein brothers put out that children's book about Robert Muller.
Speaker 3: No, oh, you're right, Yes, this is another lie.
Speaker 2: With Weave Bannon because his hair was a weasel. I think, yeah, this was another lie. This was another lie from Cash. The Crass and Steins beat you to this. This is truly the tear of man we're operating with. I'm going to start pulling every connection I have to somebody in Congress so that when he's being confirmed I can get up and hit him on this.
Speaker 7: You claim to have written the first children's book about them that I bring in the Crass and Steed brother. No oh, they're gonna sell MTG on crypto.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, there's two other books in the series. Part two Quote tells the fantastical story of how two inquisitive minds, Denesh and Debbie search for the truth to uncover evidence of a terrible scheme.
Speaker 2: Who has been forced by a court to announce in public that he did not uncover any scheme.
Speaker 3: Part two is titled two Thousand Mules. It is no longer available on Amazon due to like all the lawsuits around this just being fake.
Speaker 2: Because they broke a bunch of laws, because it was criminal and lies.
Speaker 3: Yes, search for the truth to uncover evidence of a terrible scheme to elect Sleepy Joe instead of King Donald on a choosing day unquote.
Speaker 2: Choosing day just called it election.
Speaker 4: Man, No, because it's fought. It's when they choose their king.
Speaker 2: There are kings that are elected anyway.
Speaker 3: The back of the book reads, come join Dneshan Debbie as they try to answer some troubling questions. Why did the counting stop in the middle of the night. Why were there more votes than people in the kingdom? What is up with all the glowing Pooh?
Speaker 4: Unquote? That is what it actually says. Now, why I'm not.
Speaker 2: What is the glowing Pooh supposed to be?
Speaker 3: I don't know, because I can't scam Amazon to buy the book and return it because it's no longer available on Amazon. I don't know what the glowing Pooh is.
Speaker 2: Sorry, listeners, if one of you has a copy of this book.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Then Part three is titled Return of the King okay quote. It continues the silly yet important journey of the Maga King as he returns to take down Kamalala Law and reclaim.
Speaker 4: His throne unquote.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, that's Cash Patel possible new FBI director. Oh who also produced a song titled Justice for All, which is a version of the national anthem but sung by all J six defendants in prison, with proceeds going to the Cash Foundation. So he also released a song which was not on my rap this year. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: That's a shame and I'm just double checking something. Yes, and he stole the name of his song from a Metallica album, one of the better Metallica albums. This is the one that has one on it. Oh my god, you son of a bitch.
Speaker 3: I mean, it just is so odd to have the FBI director making a song with imprisoned J six defendants. You know, it really does is just throw my head into a little bit of a spin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see the current like FBI agents react to that, But I guess we'll see. We're all gonna learn a lot about the FBI, one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Any closing thoughts here on mister Patel, Now that we've done a very brief overview of his life story ending with this children's book.
Speaker 2: He seems like he's qualified to do something.
Speaker 4: That's what everyone's saying that's what everyone's saying.
Speaker 3: You No, Like, like every single person who's like announced, you know, you get a wave of headlines from people who work in government being like this is the most unqualified person ever nominated for this position, and like it just keeps happening that I don't even feel obligated to like quote or say any of these things, because like we all know what's happening, Like, yeah, we all know why this is going on.
Speaker 4: Like that doesn't that doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: No, And I think that's one of the things I have no desire in focusing on, Like what Trump is doing. That's like he's breaking the law, he's violating a norm. Like I want to hear you know, what are you again I do to stop it? Right? What is actually being done to try to resist this? Right? Like otherwise it's at least when it comes to stuff from elected leaders, you know, I'm just not interested in like, oh, he broke an outther a lot, Yeah, that's what he does. What comes next?
Speaker 3: And he hires guys like Patel to clean up his messes and do all his dirty work. And if they do it, they can slow the right to the ranks and become director of the FBI. Yeah, and that's the political strategy that they are all working with and have a run to success yet again in twenty twenty four. Well, I guess stay tuned for more happenings here as they continue for the rest of this week and for the next four years.
Speaker 2: Ah, welcome back. It could happen here. A podcast about the things that are happening all around us, including, shockingly in the last week something we did not expect two weeks ago, the fall of the Assad regime, which our official stance as a network is that fuck him. This is pretty good, but a lot of people feel differently, and to talk with me about that. Another guy who's always angry about Syria and also has been to Syria, James, And you know, just as a note, I think a lot of the people podcasting about this right now are talking about a place they've never been, although James and I have not been to EdLib. So you know, it's true. We're going to be fairly focused on our experiences in the Kurdish regions, but at least we're not just bullshitting about a place that we've read about on the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, claiming deep on the ground understanding of a place from ready, Yes, that is not us.
Speaker 4: Yeah we uh. I briefly look at regime held Syria.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah over from a comichelo where is kind of the governance capital of Rojava, but is also a big chunk of it was held by the Assad regimes. You would just periodically like see that fucker's face on the wall as you were a crossing the street.
Speaker 4: It's a good times.
Speaker 1: But my fixer would come around at noon for whatever reason when I was in Rajava, and like, I hate to sitting in the hotel, so I'd go out for walks around the market. Yeah, not advised by the old safety people.
Speaker 2: But no, one of the sketchiest cities I've been in, Yeah, because of the presence of regime troops.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, everything else was lovely. Yeah, people are lovely.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'd be walking down the street and like I'd be looking around, see has anything interesting to go and see? And then you can literally take one wrong turn down the street and walk into to regime Syria, as you covered in in the Women's War. Like I was walking down one street and this man walked up to me and m curtis, she's not very good. Tried to say hello, told him my name and stuff, and then he starts getting more agitated, and he just starts repeating a higher and horror volume, a sad bad man.
Speaker 2: Yeah man, stay away, bro, stay away.
Speaker 4: He's like, you're going to fucking die to be.
Speaker 2: A fucking of all. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, girl expars to that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, barsie barshi.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is. It was a very straight situation.
Speaker 1: It is no longer a straight situation because in the last week the A Side regime has crumbled. Statues of him have been torn down all over the country, which we love to see. It's another of us dancers other network is fuck a statue?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, fuck most statues.
Speaker 1: Most statues. There are probably some cool ones. Does a lady hitting the Nazi with a handbag in Sweden? That's a good statue, But yeah, most statues, most statues of dudes in suits.
Speaker 4: Don't love them.
Speaker 2: No, very few dudes in suits. I want to see a statue.
Speaker 4: Of Yeah, I can't think of any right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not coming to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure it will.
Speaker 1: So these statues have been torn down because your said regime has basically crumbled. It failed to really put up any meaningful resistance to this advance by different rebel groups, right by HTS, by SNA, by the Southern Front as well, and despite I guess even what I would have said two weeks ago, right me, even after they lost Aleppo, I assumed that they would regroup in Hama or Homs and they did not. They completely failed to do so. Their Russian backers more or less abandoned them, focused on getting their stuff and their people, those who survived out of the country, and as a result, there is no more a SAD regime. Right A SAD fled the country at some point. It was initially speculated that a Sad had fled on an aircraft on Saturday night as rebels were entering Damascus. That seems to be untrue, or perhaps it was true, but the speculation that aircraft had crashed or have been shut down, certainly it does not seem to SAD now seems to be.
Speaker 2: I think. Look, I made the call about two days before the regime fell that I felt he was out of the country, based on some reporting, including reporting from the Serian regime, that he'd gone to Iran first. I think he left days before it fell. I don't think he's Yeah, he's got enough instinct for self preservation that I think he got the fuck out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't want to be found in a hole in the ground right like here, or end up like Canafi.
Speaker 4: I guess, so he left.
Speaker 1: It's quite possible that he was doing a sort of final please please help Me tour of Russia rum which turned turned into his eventual exile. In breaking news, Robert, I don't know. I don't know if you've seen this telegram post, and obviously we can't confirm it because we don't have a direct clansi Assad regime. But allegedly he is planning on setting up a specialized hospital in the field of ophthalmology in Russia, Abkhazia and Dubai.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great, great place for him to be working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wonderful, cool stuff. Yeah cool. Yeah, not not at the Hague where he belongs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he is gone, and we have seen in response, like some of the worst social media posting that I've seen. And I don't want this to be like like Twitter review. I think that obviously that's pointless and pure ut but I want to address I guess this kind of really disappointing response I've seen from a lot of people on the left that oh, yeah, well either I mean you have the like the grey zone tendency, right that the sab was great actually in the protection of human rights in the region, and the like the Syria was socialism in Karna, which is obviously nonsense, right, Like, this is a person who, as we have seen in the last week, whose regime prisons were holding thousands of people, killed tens of thousands of people, tortured people to death in some cases in Sednaia prison, which is a big prison in Damascus, certainly a Damascus i should.
Speaker 4: Say, towards the coast.
Speaker 1: It looks as if there were children in that prison who were possibly born in that prison and may have never been out of that prison, which is like one of the most horrible things I've ever had to think about, you know, like like a little child four or five years old never having seen the sky. It's just it's heartbreaking, Like a lot of the things we are going to find, the things we're going to hear about in the next few weeks heartbreaking. And anybody who's prepared to apologize for that or prepared to say that that was good, I think you really need to question if there's someone who's aligned with you. But in addition to that tendency, there's one that sort of holds that in Syria, like what will come next is worse? Right, what will come next to or we don't know, of course, we don't know what will come next, None of us can see the future, but what will come next will make a sad look like it was a preferable option, And like, I feel that we need to address that because I think it's one of the long legacies of authoritarian socialist how do I say this, like the authoritarian socialist media project.
Speaker 2: And that kind of colliding with the Iraq war anti anti war movement, yes, you know, yeah, the whole hands off Syria thing that groups like the PSL, the Party for Socialism and Liberation we're doing when the rebel started this offensive, being like we've got to stop you know, these US backed rebels from taking you know, Syria for the empires, Like, man, the fuck it. It's not the US that was primarily backing the rebels that did most of the fighting. Like these guys are Turkish backed, you know, yeah, yeah, the extent that that even matters, right, Like the that like this is not the CIA did not orchestrate all of this. The guys the CIA were really trying to back in Syria basically all died.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, they've gone.
Speaker 1: Some of the weapons, sure that the US supplied in Timber Sycamore are probably stood in the hands of HTS, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, some of them. But like even that's not the bulk of the weaponry that those fuckers know using.
Speaker 1: The entire weaponry of the Syrian arabambi is also in the hands of the HDS, which we'll move on to actually because maybe we should address that now before we address responses. Actually, yeah, when we talk about international involvement in Syria, right, we talk about the United States who has supported the SDF not as a project, and this is important. They don't support the Democratic Autonomous Administration nor from Assyria as a democratic project. Support is the SDF as a partner force in the fight against ISIS, and that's been very clear when they have failed to defend the anes against genocidal violence, ethnic cleansing in a free and right what we're seeing again now in the Talifat area. I'll use that terminology because if you want to look it up on Google Maps, that's easier to find the violence that we've seen repeatedly from the Turkish back Syrian National Army or Turkish free Syrian Armies are sometimes called. Right, the United States hasn't defended the people of the ans against and it won't because that's not what it's there to do. And as much as we would like it too, I don't think that as in the nature of the US mission in Syria, and I don't think it's in the nature of the US as a state to support a project which is seeking to build democracy without the state. It's not in the nature of the state.
Speaker 2: We stumbled backwards accidentally into exactly once supporting the good guys in the conflict, you know, specifically in the conflict with I. Yeah, like a broken clock, and we immediately ever since we have been trying as hard as we can to pull back and you know, betray them, yes to their deaths like that. That That is the story of US support of Rojava.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not. This is not a US proxy state.
Speaker 1: Some people trying to tell you it is not a CIA revolution of some people are trying to tell you.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Now, part part of what gives fuel for that is there are a number of photos of like US troops really vibing with the WHITEPG and YPG and they're vibing with them, And you and I could both say this having been with those people. They're nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're fun, they're chill folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have good music and they like to done generally cool people.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I enjoy that company. I have vibed with the WHITEPG.
Speaker 2: You know, like, it's hard not to see a bunch of young women who like left isis captivity and immediately said give me a gun. I'm going to learn how to use it and be like, yeah, that's pretty cool. Good for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's one of the coolest things that's happened in the Middle East in the past century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like, the United States does not have a plan for what has happened in the last two weeks, and it appears to be trying to think on the hoof right now. Joe Biden's foreign policy has been dog shit and it doesn't look like he's going to pull a one eighty.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We should not expect the United States to save for Java. We should do everything we can to get the United States to continue supporting the people who gave more than ten thousand of their children in the battle against ISIS. The US didn't want to say ground troops right at Obama didn't want to have another ground war. Neither did Trump, and so they got people from the SDF to do the dying and a lot of the killing were they maintained an aerial presence, was a light ground footprint. We shouldn't expect the US to show up for the people who showed.
Speaker 4: Up for it. That's not in its nature.
Speaker 1: The only state that had a plan for what happened in the last two weeks appears to have been Israel. Disappointingly right, Russia and Iran seem to have largely scrambled extracted their state assets. Russia got some of its people out, they took some of the aircraft out, it ran.
Speaker 4: Likewise, the US seems to be kind of scrambling.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there are still some like odas, some Special Forces guys embedded with the SDF. I'm sure that in the areas where ISIS has written up, because in some areas where the regime has pulled back, there has been an increasing presence of ISIS sleeper cells trying to sort of once again control territory and attack the SDF in those areas. I'm sure that there are US special forces like directing air strikes, but I don't think the US is going to come and say Brisia. But the only country that had a plan was Israel. And what Israel's plan was was to invade Syria in the Golan Heights right, to increase their area of control, and then to bomb almost all of the aircraft. And perhaps I don't know it also includes air defense systems, but from what the IDF is saying today, they have bombed all of the Syrian Air Forces aircraft that had fallen into rebel hands. This includes ammunition for the aircraft. It includes the ammunition dump at Comishlow Airport. About half an hour before Robert and I started recording here on Monday, I saw a video from a friend in Kamishlow of the ammunition dump at the airport, which have previously belonged to the regime now belongs to the A and E s exploding after it had been hit by an IDFs. Right. So what they're trying to do, I guess, is deny any of those weapons to people who they perceive as a threat to their interests. Yep, and like there's been I don't know if you're seeing this also row it by a lot of like Israeli accounts being like, oh we stand with the curd Israel and the Kurds are won. And first of all, I want to warn you. I want to warn you that we have an advertising breakcoming. Robert is what I want to warn you about.
Speaker 2: Oh well, speaking of well, actually not speaking of the IDF, thankfully, but speaking about maybe the California State Highway Patrol. Here's some ads we're back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Firstly, I think when you're seeing analysis about Syria, any when he talks about things in terms of these monolithic blocks, this Israeli counts, often we will support the Kurds. I would be sometimes I'll maybe use that to refer to A and E S or the SDF. But I really trend on too because it's a multi ethnic project. Right, like the areas that we'll talk about in a minute where the SDF is being attacked those areas, the largest component of the SDF is is Arab, yeah, forces right, and that that is the case in the SDF as a whole. Actually, the majority of the SDF is now Arab, not not Kurdish. I would be very skeptic of the expertise of anyone who refers to things in these monolithic absolutes, right, the Sunnis, the Shias, yeah, the alah Whites, the Kurds. There are a lot of different groups in Syria, and those groups are comprised of individuals, and those individuals shockingly have different and distinct goals and experiences and desires.
Speaker 4: Like there are.
Speaker 1: Absolutely al of whites who will have remained loyal to us sad there are others who, like the monstery did not, as we've seen in the last week, right, And so I would be skeptical of anyone who tries to paint things in those terms. And I would be skeptical, to return to what we were talking about earlier, Robert, of people who tell you that, like we should expect the one I see most is Syria to turn into Lebanon, right, And like you and I have been talking about this before we recorded, but that's not a useful example in my mind of what we're likely to see in Syria, right, And the reason for that is that like in Lebanon, yes, there was a there was like a US Air.
Speaker 4: Component, as there is in Syria. That's true.
Speaker 1: But I don't understand why we would look at the example of Lebanon, a place thousands of miles away, when we have at least two examples of governance in Syria, right, people who have been governing in one case for more than a decade significant.
Speaker 4: Parts of Syria. Like they have a government project.
Speaker 1: In the case of the ANS, I don't think it's fair to call it a state project. Like they would tell you that they're trying to build democracy without the state, which is something that which might not be popular with states, evidently, which doesn't let them the support of many states, as we've seen. But we have and with HDS in July and the Salvation government, Right, we have these two governance projects. They're extremely different, right. The Salvation Government under HDS is people have been arrested for playing music at their own weddings. It is, it is neither democratic nor particularly liberatory. And then we have the an S, which I would argue is the only democracy in the Middle East. Yeah, certainly, the only democracy where people of different ethnicities and genders matter the same amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly the only like multi ethnic democracy. Yes, in the Middle East. That's functional.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you're you're straining the definition of democracy if you're constraining it by ethnicity, right, right, So I think you can make a good case for it being the only democracy in the Middle East. I saw this really atrocious BBC interview this morning. I'm trying to network. Some networks now have reporters on the ground in Damascus, and I've been trying to watch those to see sort of what's going on. It can be very hard to just get your news from telegram. Like I would also caution people who are perhaps new to this, who who are finding these telegram channels, to take everything you read on there with a pinch of salt. You'll see a lot of disinformation there. One of the BBC had an expert on and he was like, Oh, every time we see people pulling down statues of dictators, I'm a bit concerned, and like, I have to think about how to express this. It seems to me deeply as lamophobic or bigoted or racist. I don't quite know the white term to say. Oh, the people of this country and the places in the last ten twenty years where we've seen people pulling down statues of dictators have largely been in the Middle East right to say that, oh, these people are incapable of self governance, these people are incapable of living in peace with one another, But like they're not. We've seen that in Rajava, and I don't think that the right response now is to respond with skepticism to like the Syrian people's ability to live in peace. They've been at war for fifteen years, fourteen years, thirteen thirteen years, thirteen and a half years. But I think that there is not an appetite for more killing and more dying, certainly from what I've seen and what I've heard.
Speaker 2: No exhaustion is a factor here, Like you really cannot emphasize enough how long I mean, HTS and the SNA have been at this and how fucking tired, particularly like HTS has to be. Like this has been more than a decade of constant terror and violence. So I do think that that's going to be a factor, and like what happens next, I should hope it will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean some things I don't know how to interpret. Right, HTS has asked the regime, police and authorities in cities to stay on Some of that is probably good, right, Like the people who ensure that the water gets pumped. I hope that they stay pumping the water. The people who were the police cybe regime. It's here an Arab republic. I don't want those people to stay on. I want those people to fuck off, and I want those people to be held accountable for the crimes that committed. But it doesn't point to sort of wild sectarian violence. We don't have the situation we had in Iraq, right, Right, we have a US occupation which sits inside its basis and it only leaves c biglely to kill people. Right from the perspective of the people living in Iraq, that that's what the US occupation looked like for the most part. Right, it's guys in big military vehicles who kill civilians by mistake.
Speaker 4: We don't have that here.
Speaker 1: There's not that resentment, generational resentment that allowed the Islamic state to grow there. Now, the Islamic state did grow through capturing a lot of state institutions, which is HTS is done. But I don't see that same resentment, and they don't see that same desire for sort of redemptive violence that we saw. That I might be wrong, right, that there might be more into communal violence. I have seen some videos of what looked like summary executions in Damascus today. That's very concerning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But also I mean, look, there's some people who need to be summer really executed in.
Speaker 4: This you know. Yeah, if you've got to shoot someone, fuck it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you're looking at the photos of just like thousands of shoes and decomposed bodies, dissolved acid, its aid Naya prison, like you're liberating those places, you catch anyone who was working there. I'm not going to say that that's a bad thing to do. I might do the same thing, and there's that you in their circumstances.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't blame somewhere. I can understand someone doing that.
Speaker 2: What are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that in the next few days they will probably be more of that violence, because we are literally in some cases opening the lid on some of the west crimes against humanity of this century.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and they are going to be catching There are a lot of mok brat, you know, secret police guys who didn't get out, who were throwing on We've got videos of them leaving the palace throwing on civilian clothes yep, and I'm not going to be shocked if a lot of the justice process of that is ugly. Now, I do suspect that Joe Lannie is going to at least grab a chunk of those guys and do trials because he is really looking for state legitimacy, you know, and that's one way you get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's his project now, But that's not going to be how all these guys go down. Some of these guys are going to die, and uh, yeah, they're just gonna get fucking got yeah. Yeah, And look, they got a lot of people they kind of had it coming to me and not particularly concerned about that. I'm more broadly concerned with, like what are you doing on the left? If you see people in the streets, you see people tearing down statues of dictators, you see people celebrating the end of a regime that oppressed them for decades, and you immediately go to, oh, this is bad, Like why do you even bother? If we don't believe that people can govern themselves, if we don't believe that the people in the street are normally the people who are right, and if we don't believe that the downfall of tyrannical regimes is.
Speaker 4: A good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what do you believe? You know, if you're just torturing it to be like, well no, you know, you and I both read that there was a post earlier today with someone being like these leftists purity politics, you know, to be angry that aside kept a lid on radical Islam and isis and just didn't do it super cleanly. And it's man, he was fucking guessing children, like what do you? Where are you here? Yeah? What is wrong with you? Come on? Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is yeah, this is a person who drop chlorine gas on blocks of flats with little children in them, right, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck this guy.
Speaker 1: It's good that he's gone. I wish he was dead. I'm sad that he gets to go and be an mphalmologist, like he, of all people, needs to be held accountable for his crimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, some could have. We could have a song on Anteleirian kind of situation, right, Yeah, who's the Armenian who shot a member of the Turkey government in Berlin? Yeah we could have something like that, go down God willing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you never know they yeah, I guess people there he's in Russia.
Speaker 2: Now he's in Russia.
Speaker 4: Someone will find him in his high end eye clinic one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's probably going to be going back and forth to Dubai. There's some Syrians who wound up in Dubai. Somebody might stab them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can hope.
Speaker 1: But I want to take one more break talking of stabbing. Maybe maybe we will get an advert for knives, you know. Yeah, I've never had a knife advert, have.
Speaker 2: We No, I don't know that we have. And I would sell the hell out of knives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, almost any knives, even crappy gas stach night, Like, if you make the ones that look like an oil slick, get in touch with the advertising department at iHeartMedia.
Speaker 4: We'll pimp them. All Right, we're back.
Speaker 1: The last thing I want to talk about, Robert, is how the rebels won, because there was not a lot of fighting after the collap Civil EPO, but before there was fighting, and in part how that fighting went I think led to the downfall of the morale of the Syriat army. Right, so there are some things here that both Robert and I are somewhat nerdy about about conflicts, right, like it there's something even when we're not attending was. We like to read about them, and you and I both take a great interest in history, and I think we'd be unwise to not look at this and learn from it, especially with HTS who massively professionalized since the ceasefire in twenty twenty. I think professionalists is probably the right word. Like that command, the technology, that the way they operated looked a lot more like a modern military than it did, you know, the militias, like I'm sure you and I both remember the early Syrian of a war for people who are a bit younger than us. Like some of the most incredible improvised weapons that I've seen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there was literally at one point they had an Ottoman era black powder or cannon on the back of a flatbed that they were using to hit regime positions.
Speaker 1: That they had literally taken out of the museum in a leopard to yaket it out of the museum.
Speaker 4: Fucking amazing stuff like theredible.
Speaker 2: Only I thought the top of like that sort of thing was when fucking insertance in Afghanistan would use seventeenth century Jazils to shoot at US troops. But the Ottoman cannon is really a was that's a flex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with a huge flex they they also worked, you know, they fired propane cylinders out of huge tubes, these improvised motors they called hell cannons, Like really incredible and like it speaks to the ingenuity of people and their desire not to be oppressed, right, they desire to fight against state tyranny. But when we compare that to what we saw with HTS in twenty twenty four, a world of change. Right. In particular, I think it was very interesting that they captured armored vehicles and and they were able to combine armor and infantry very effectively, which is not easy to do right, that has eluded even some professional militaries. They also very effectively used drones, both drones to drop bombs and drones to adjust their artillery and mortifier, which I think is something that again like that modern militaries do, but it's not easy to do right, And it's not like HDS could do massive exercises in the lead up to this operation, like they seem to have professionalized very quickly. Another area that they were you can see that they've learned a lot from the conflicts in Ukraine and perhaps in Miammar too, was their use of FPV drones, a first person in view drone. How do you describe it. It's like your eyes are on the front of the drone. Is that a good description, Robert, Yeah, it's like you're flying.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there are videos of whole classrooms of hts I guess, soldiers, militants, whatever you want, and called them practicing flying drones or using the controllers to play like a computer game where you have to like go through checkpoints and follow a route and things. And they seem to have developed like a training course that then gave them this drone brigade, which they used incredibly effectively. They had these massive first person view drones that were almost like a sort of Ersat's cruise missile, and it was I think one of those that penetrated some kind of command headquarters in Aleppo in the early days of the battle there, killed several important offices and commanders and helped to then spread that panic which they rode all the way to Damascus. Right, So, like this use of drones was extremely consequential. The other thing that they used in which we've seen the SDF use a lot, is these pulse art thermal optics. So a thermal optic sees heat, right, I guess would be the easiest way to describe it. And it maps heat in a visual fashion for the user, and in this case, they put them on their rifles and they're able to see other people. At our friend Carl, who we had on last week week before maybe Carl made a really good video about thermal versus night vision on his Arrange TV channel. I'll link it in the notes because I think it's worth people checking out. They're not familiar with this technology at all. The optics he used were not the optics they're using, but these thermal optics. You've seen them a lot with the SDF, especially in a freen like they'll do these night missions, right, and when you look at the recording from the thermal optic, it it looks like people are glowing because they are the hottest things in that area, and it makes it very easy to target people. And HDS us these a lot when they were attacking a LAPPA, right, these thermal optics that they mounted on their rifles, and they allowed them to pretty much. The United States used to talk about owning the night right. Yes, it had night vision where no one else does. Night Vision's proliferated a long way now, and that means that some of the ways that they used to use night vision they can't anymore. Like, for instance, they used to send out lasers that were any visible and the night vision to aim weapons. If your adversary has night vision as well, you've now created a giant line that goes right back to you if you're using a laser aiming device, So.
Speaker 4: You can't do that.
Speaker 1: But these thermal optics, especially when they're fighting against Assyrian Arabami who I mean, these conscripts are massively demoralized. Right, They're underpaid, they're under fed. Did you meet any when you were in Jab did you meet any people who defected?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I've met a number of people who had, and some who had also had to flee, like from Aleppo and whatnot, because they had been on like rebels fighting the Asad regime, and some had wound up in the SDF, some more just civilians living in the area. I also there's also a number of folks who commuted like to and from regime held territory just because like if you were someone that wasn't particularly wanted, you could do that. Yeah, it was a very confusing situation for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, extremely And I think when you meet the people who have been regime soldiers and come across often they're like they seem to be happy being waiters or working in the mark in Risjaba because their pay was so bad and their lives were so miserable as conscripts that they'd rather just come and work, you know, any job they can get in ans. And I think when you've got those guys going up against well trained people from HTS with these thermal optics, with these using torones, that communications were solid. You know, you can tell from their appearance that a lot of these guys are professionalized. They were almost indistinguishable from US troops. Like I think you and I had both responded to this tweet about some YouTube guy was shocked that people were wearing helmets and body armor, which that has been the esthetic of violence, at least in places where the US has operated for I know, half a decade. Would you say, like the sort of US Special Forces?
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, I mean, and that's just the norm for dressing if you're fighting in a war anywhere on the planet now, yeh, Like, whether you're the Russian Army or some militia in Syria. It's you know, play carrier, usually like some sort of fast helmet, you've got you know, belt with sidearm mag pouches, and then usually either in akm or some sort of aar style weapon. Like everybody dresses that way. Everybody looks very similar. Yeah, now because it's just the most kind of I mean, number one, there's a lot of that gear lying around and it's cheap. And number two like it works, it's a load out that works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very practical. Yeah, for what they're doing.
Speaker 1: I think number three as well, like we should not understate the desire to look like your avatar and call of duty.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it's also looks cool. It looks like being in a movie, and that is a that matters a lot to the kind of young men who start fighting in wars.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people, I think if you've not been you won't realize how young a lot of these people are. This incredible professionalism or incredible professionism. I'm overstating it, but this dramatic change in the appearance and conduct of these rebels, particularly HTS, occurred over about three or four years from the cease fire in twenty twenty to this offensive in twenty twenty four, and I think it gives us an insight into the way that war is changing, right, that access to information is easier than it ever has been, and access to a lot of these technologies has proliferated massively because we've seen in Myanmar, right, drones proliferate people three D print little night vision goggles in Memba. Spoke to Milk about it about a year and a half ago. People remember Milk from our Meanma series about three D printing little night vision goggles that use the camera from you know those security cameras, Yeah, that can kind of see at night. They use those and then a tiny LCD screen. Of course, drones are everywhere now, right, things like plate carriers even you see rebels in Meanma wearing them, buying them from Ali Express. Like all of the technology, all of the tactics are also much easier to find on the internet. You know, Robert and I have both spoken to people who go said they go on YouTube to learn about like military tactics and small arms even and you know, how to use different weapons systems when they capture them. I think it's a real change in the way that conflict is conducted, and it's one that we will probably continue to see as like, you know, the world isn't getting any more peaceful, Nope, and waste a lot of you know, Russia and Iran took a massive l in Syria. That doesn't mean that they're not gone as sort of global actors. We will continue to see, particularly Russia obviously fighting in Ukraine. And I think it's worth looking at what happened in Syria so that we can understand what we're going to see in other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: Yep. One of the ways I like to think about it that is crucial for people to understand is that Syria has largely been the laboratory in which the twenty first century was cooked up, Like all of our futures have to some extent been built in Syria. Both like this is where we get a lot of the fuel behind the right wing surge that has been occurring over the last few years, started because of the refugee crisis, you know, but also a lot of the tactics and weapons shit that like Israel is doing right now in Gaza, like Cereal, was the lab to a significant extent for how authoritarian regimes would crack down. And it was also the impetus behind a lot of the most significant things that have been happening over the last decade and change.
Speaker 4: So it might still be already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, siem and the Netherlands have stopped processing asylum applications from Syria, which is yeah, which is concerning yep. But yeah, I think it's worth continuing to keep an eye on. I will continue to post about it, we will continue to inform you about it here, and we will continue to bring on people who have more expertise and insight than we do. So yeah, we hope you'll keep an eye on it. And I just want to end by saying that like the democratic project in Rojava is under a great deal of threat, Yes, currently more than it has been for perhaps a decade.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: They do not have an ally in the United States. They do not, as far as we know, have an ally in Israel. And from what we've seen, it's one thing what Israel says, it's another thing what Israel does, and what Israel has been doing today is bombing ammunition that they already have in the Anes, and that means that it's more important than ever that you do what you can to support them. If you go to the Emergency Committee for a JAVA, you can find them online. You find them on all different kinds of social media. They have a toolkit for supporting JAVA right now, I would urge you if you care about that project, if you care about building democracy without the state, care about building a place where women and men are equal. And the revolution was led by women, it's not a revolution that include women, it's revolution by women for women. I would encourage you to do what you can to support them.
Speaker 4: All right, yep, that's all.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, Robert Evans here and this is it could happen here. Obviously. One of the things that's been happening here, probably the biggest story of the last week or so at least, is the shooting of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson by an alleged shooter named Luigi Mangione. Meggione is an interesting character. People have had a lot to say about him, and so I went through his online footprint, everything I can find on his social media, and I wrote an article for my substack, shatter Zone, and I'm going to be reading that in a slightly amended form for you now as today's episode. I've spent much of the last ten years reading manifestos and being a fly on the wall in different little online boltholes where extremists plan and seek to incite mass shootings. When Luigi Mangione, the suspected shooter of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson, was arrested at a McDonald's, it didn't take long for digital sleuths to put together a comprehensive record of his online activity. I will tell you now that nothing he read or posted explains why he gunned down an insurance executive better than this single image in the background of his Twitter profile and the images, of course, of an X ray showing four screws in someone's lower base spine, apparently due to a lumbar spinal fusion surgery. The day after I wrote this article, The New York Times published a piece after finding Luigi's read it. The piece by Mike Baker, Mike Isaac, and my old boss at Bellancat, Eric Tohller, confirms that he had a spinal fusion surgery, that he had dealt with back pain for years, which had been minor and then gotten much worse after a surfing injury, and had grown even worse after slipping on a piece of paper caused persistent problems, including pain when he sat down, twitching leg muscles, and numbness in his growing in bladder. According to The New York Times, he had that spinal fusion surgery, which he had been deeply frightened of ahead of time, but which resolved those symptoms, and then he continued to have other symptoms, probably unrelated to the back pain. It's unclear if the back pain came back, but what is clear is that he wrote constantly online about pain and about his struggles with various other health issues, including a persistent brain fog that he seemed unable to get care for. His friend R Jay, who lived with him at an intentional community for digital workers in Honolulu starting in twenty twenty two, confirms that Luigi suffered an injury shortly after taking a basic surfing class after moving there. This laid him up in bed for about a week, unable to move. His friends had to seek the special bed to help him with the pain. In general, we have ample confirmation that he was someone who dealt with a series of escalating health issues that changed him from an extremely active, physically fit young man into somebody who felt like they were no longer able to do or enjoy the things they had previously been able to do and enjoy. Now this is most of what we know about the health history of Luigi Mangione as of December tenth. Now when I record this twenty twenty four. As I write this, a purported manifesto is making the rounds online which discusses health issues his mother faced. It's still unclear if that manifesto is real. kN Klippenstein has finally gotten access to what he claims is the draft of the manifesto that the shooter had on him when he was arrested by the police. I don't know if that's a manifesto or something he wrote while nervous, because he largely addresses the cops in it and tells them you know what to expect when searching him. But again, at the moment, this purported manifesto that was also posted on substack, very unclear as to whether or not that's real. So for this today, we're going to stick with what we can verify, and what we can verify is that Luigi Mangione suffered from chronic back pain. He had five different books in his Goodreads that he read about dealing with back pain and healing from back pain, as well as other chronic health issues. If he is the shooter, then we can confirm he also chose to act out by targeting and insurance CEO. The New York Times has stated that he was arrested with a two hundred and sixty two word manifesto which has since been leaked, and in that manifesto, he describes the executives who run insurance companies as parasites who quote continue to abuse our country for I mince profit because the American public has allowed them to get away with it. In addition to all this, we know that Luigi came from a wealthy family. His grandfather made millions running a series of country clubs, nursing homes and office buildings and hospitals. One of his cousins is a Republican state legislator. It is unclear if Luigi had any access to the family money, but he was clearly financially comfortable enough to move to Hawaii and pay to join an intentional community. He had engineering degrees and a promising early employment history. This is a man who had options. He could have been almost anything he wanted to be, and the thing that he ultimately chose to do with his life after suffering a debilitating series of health issues was to shoot the CEO of United Healthcare, Luigi Mangione. Radicalized by pain. It's a well known fact that most terrorists tend to be radicalized in communities. Much of my career was spent watching eight chan turn from an imageboard dedicated into gamer gate into a machine for generating white nationalists mass shooters. These people often appeared as lone wolves to the untrained eye, but they were radicalized intentionally in and by a community. Much will be made in the coming days and months about Luigi's online footprints. I will go into some detail about where he spent his time and how we should characterize it, but I want to be clear at the outset that his intellectual diet does not seem to be what made him choose to take action, although it may have influenced the specific kind of action he took. Luigi followed a lot of accounts on Twitter that are wildly popular with young men, like Joe Rogan. He listened to Jordan Peterson and Tucker Carlson and agreed with them on certain things, but he also had cogent criticisms of their arguments and presentation. Here's what he said about Jordan Peterson on May fourteenth. This is why Jordan Peterson always bothers me. Overcomplicates everything he says aloud, wasting everyone's mental bandwidth and having to decipher it. The best teachers are the best communicators, clear, succinct, simple language, which does kind of gel with the fact that he wrote three words on the bullets he used to shoot that Ceo. Luigi also expressed frustration with wokeness and expressed opinions common on the libertarian tech influenced right, like a belief in the social benefits of Christianity, without expressing popular religious beliefs himself. I've found one post where he talks about how nature abhors a vacuum and shares an article about how Christianity's decline has unleashed terrible new gods. Some of his posts took the form of memes typical to online discourse of this type, but I've also read an essay that he wrote when he was fifteen years old, discussing how Christianity persevere over paganism in ancient Rome and that essay exhibits a long standing interest in this topic and a capacity to treat it with nuance. His paper is very well written, particularly for a fifteen year old, and while his conclusions are highly arguable, it's not the work of someone hopelessly brainwashed by culture war bullshit. Luigi liked to think and read and come to his own conclusions. He was interested in AI, in cryptocurrency, in life extension, and in a constellation of tech bro adjacent attitudes and philosophies often described as the Gray Tribe. I found one post where he talks about a senior speech he gave on the Future quote topics ranging from conscious artificial intelligence to human immortality. The term gray tribe was coined by an influential rationalist blogger and psychiatrist named Scott Alexander Siskin. He used it to refer to an intersection of nerd culture with Silicon Valley influenced ideology descending from the online rationalist movement. This community existed outside of traditional right left eye ideology. Now I've not found any evidence that Luigi was a specific fan of Scott, but he expressed appreciation for several figures associated with this big tent movement, including Peter Teel. If we describe Scott as representing the more liberal flank of the Gray Tribe, Luigi seemed to be drawn to folks closer to the right wing side of things. The worst person to use this terminology would probably be Teal associate Bilaji Shrinivasan, who has used Gray Tribe framework to describe his ideal big tech takeover of San Francisco and purging of progressives. However, I must stress that Luigi Mangione never expressed any support for this end of the ideology that I can find. He was a young man of libertarian inclinations who worked in big tech and had ties to San Francisco, but he was also clearly someone still making his mind up about the world. As information about him has come out, I have seen people on the left who initially saw his axis heroic lament that he was a bigoted tech bro. Scott Alexander has been credibly described as a eugenic supporter, as have many other people adjacent to the strains of rationalism and big tech ideology in which Mangione dabbled. Luigia's Twitter account does indeed include weird posts from his time in Japan, where he theorizes on how to solve falling birth rates by banning pocket pussies and video game cafes. At other points, he complains about Japanese citizens acting like quote unquote NPC's but race science and eugenics don't seem to have been a focus for him, and I would caution anyone against being overly reductive about a twenty six year old beliefs based purely on a handful of posts that bear no relation to his actions in the world. The evidence that we have of his online footprints suggests someone who was not unmoved by certain arguments rooted in social justice. He expressed admiration for a quote from Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse five about criminalization of poverty in the United States. Quote America is the wealthiest nation in the world, but its people are mainly poor, and poor Americans are urged to hate themselves. To quote the American humorist Ken Hubbard, it ain't no disgrace to be poor, but it might as well be. It is, in fact a crime for an American to be poor. Even though America is a nation of the poor, every other nation has folk traditions of men who were poor but extremely wise and virtuous, and therefore more esteemable than anyone with power and gold. No such tales are told by the American poor. Neluigi is certainly not the idealized leftist icons some had hoped, but he doesn't easily fit into any other box. We've got. His interest in gray tribe adjacent thinkers and self help books written by productivity hackers like Tim Ferriss is incredibly common among young men. Much has been made of the four st Hour Review. He gave industrial society and its future the manifesto of Ted Kazinski, But as with the rest of his media diet, he did not view Ted through the simple lens of hero worship. Here's what he wrote quote, he was a violent individual, rightfully imprisoned, who maimed innocent people. While these actions tend to be characterized as those of a crazy Luddite, however they are more accurately seen as those of an extreme political revolutionary. I know those words his condemnation of Kazinsky maiming innocent people are not just words, because we have seen the attack he allegedly chose to carry out, not a series of bombings that killed and maimed innocent people with no real power in our society, but a surgical strike against a man at the very top of the system he hated, and one that caused no collateral damage. He was capable of appreciating some of Kazinsky's conclusions, but ultimately the quote he chose to highlight in his review came not from the manifesto, but from a Reddit post made by a guy with the user name boss Potatoess, who otherwise mostly commented on the Grateful Dead. This post praises Kazinsky for having the balls to realize that peaceful protest has gotten us absolutely nowhere, and complains economic protest isn't possible in the current system. As a result, violence against those who lead us to such destruction is justified as self defense. Quote. These companies don't care about you, or your kids or your grandkids. They have zero qualms about burning down the planet for a buck, so why should we have an equalms about burning them down to survive. This is not the kind of radicalization pathway our media is good at discussing or analyzing. The things Luigi read and the people he interacted with online absolutely influenced what he did and how but Boss Potatoess is not some nazi on eight Chan trying to provoke a shooting spree for the lulls. He's a random dude angry about the things seventy percent or more of the country is angry about, and he's expressing a lack of faith in a peaceful way forward. If you read this post in its entirety as Luigi did, you can't miss the pain there, anxiety and horror at the inevitability of climate change and the looming knowledge that everything good and green on this earth is being fed into the bloody maw of an industry concerned only with maximizing profit. In more ways than one, Luigi Mangione was radicalized by pain. I know many people who suffer with chronic pain and ongoing medical issues. I will tell you that it is not uncommon, in dark moments, after fruitless, hours long calls about dropped medications or receiving surprise bills, for them to joke about what they'd like to do to the executives who run these companies. These are jokes made in moments of despair and pain. No one I know would ever act on them, because they all have lives. People to care for into whom they are responsible, they would never really do anything because the consequences to their own loved ones would be so severe. In the months before the shooting, Luigi had cut off all contact with his family. He admitted this in court. His parents eventually filed a missing's persons report in November of this year, and we have evidence that friends tried to contact him on his family's behalf via social media. As was first noted by a Twitter account, Luigi Mangione expressed interest in the works of Paul Scalis, a tech lawyer, writer, and prominent poster who writes about the Lindie effect, a concept that boils down to this the only effective joke of things is time. Scalus is popular among the set of people Magngione found himself drawn towards and writes about the wisdom of ideas from antiquity. It's not hard to grasp what a man with an academic interest in ancient realm might see in him. On December fourth, twenty twenty four, Paul made this post. Look, if you don't have any kids and you want of these guys just floating around the big cities. You got your education, but you never really used it. To make money. You got a dead end back office job and a future of just working somewhere until you're seventy five and then dying, Go ahead and do something. It's been suggested that this may have influenced Luigi, and I think the timeline makes it clear that cannot be the case. Luigia cut off contact with his family in most of his friends months before this. The evidence suggests that he had planned this attack for quite some time. He arrived in New York City on November twenty fourth, on a bus bound from Atlanta, where he did not reside. So I don't think this post represents a piece of his radicalization journey. Nor was Scalus advocating for people to kill CEOs. But the situation in mindset Scallus described does speak to a lot of young men like Luigi, young and educated, but without intense responsibilities or much hope for the future. This subset of society has always overproduced terrorists, revolutionaries, and of course, mass shooters. The United States has a mass shooter culture over the last several decades since Columbine, we have grown used to the idea that people who are angry and no longer care if they live or die will sometimes choose to go down killing strangers. In most cases, these shootings are totally random, the victims chosen with no concern beyond maximum body count and maximum attention. More recently, especially since twenty nineteen, mass shootings have become increasingly politicized. Different extremists, mostly right wing, have used them to put theory into praxis and earned free pr for their causes. Most people abhor these actions, but we have grown used to the idea that other people will use such acts as a way to spread messages that might otherwise getting gnat It is not coincidental that the white genocide conspiracy theories from Brenton Terrence christ Church Manifesto are now mainstream talking points and conservative politics. Luigimanngione grew up with all of this. He would have come to the same conclusions about the role shootings play in our society as any other reasonably aware person. What he did, was, of course, not a mass shooting, but the assassination, his actions afterwards, and his possession of a manifesto were all clearly plotted out by someone who knew the social script for how this kind of thing goes in the USA. In the wake of this shooting. Every media organization commenting on it has had to grapple with the waves of public enthusiasm for Luigi's actions. Right wing media figures condemning the left for celebrating this assassination have been criticized by their own readers and listeners. Insurance companies have pulled down lists of their executives from the Internet. This is because they too, understand the shooter culture of the United States. Like everyone else, they know that any mass shooting that meets with massive media coverage and in nas trist will spawn copycats. The assassination Luigi is believed to have carried out was new and exciting. It demanded the public's attention in a way that most mass shootings don't. At almost the same time, the United Healthcare CEO was gunned down, a gunman walked into a religious school near Oreville, California, and shot two young children before killing himself. This shooting drew almost no national attention. It was entirely drowned out by the execution of an insurance industry ceo. The armed and disaffected young men who are most drawn to this sort of thing will not miss this fact. I believe Luigi Mangione was radicalized by pain. The shooters who follow him will all have their own reasons for what they do for their own journeys to that violent end, but ultimately they'll do what they do because Luigi proved it's what gets attention.
Speaker 5: For Now, welcome to it could Happen here, a podcast where I your host Miya Wong, talks about inflation. We have covered inflation on this show extensively, and now it is once again time to return to it as we head into a world where concerns about inflation and the economy are the most cited justifications for people voting for one Donald Trump. But unlike our other Oh God, had so many episodes about inflation, this one is going to be a bit different. Is going to start out somewhat similar in that I am going to lay out a brief explanation of the sort of material causes of the inflation cycle and talk a bit about inflation theories, which is what we've been largely doing on this show for a while. And then I am going to explain why none of that shit mattered, why none of what was actually causing inflation mattered a single bit, because ultimately our experience of inflation and more importantly, of price in general, is based on a sense of justice, or as the academics call it, a moral economy, and not on anything that's sort of going on. So let's begin with what is going on with inflation.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: As we've discussed before on this show, most economists do not understand why inflation happens. People will take theories. Those theories are usually quite bad. There is no mainstream consensus on what is going on. As both me and my friends at the magazine Strange Matters have pointed out, former Federal Reserve Governor Daniel Tarulo said quote, the substantive point is that we do not at present have a theory of inflation dynamics that work sufficiently well to be of use for the business of real time monetary policy making. So again, this is a guy who used to be a Federal Reserve governor who has admitted that they have no idea what the fuck is going on within inflation. Looking at the extent to which people don't know what's going on to inflation and how the various theories simply don't work is a large part of Steve Mann's notes towards the theory of inflation, which is a Strange Matter's article that a lot of this will be pulled from. And we've had Ze on the talk about this before. So there are a lot of theories about inflation, and none of them work very well. Inflation on a fundamental level is just prices going up. People have this tendency to think about inflation in terms of the value of money going down, but on a pure level, all inflation says is that prices go up. Now, the most common theory of inflation is inflation is based on there being too much money in the economy. And the thing about those theories is that they don't work outside of like a very few specific examples of hyperinflation that loom large over our understanding of what inflation is, even though they have absolutely quantitatively and theoretically, they have absolutely nothing to do with the inflation that we've seen over the past four years. So instead of talking about that Shaite anymore, Man and the Strange Matter's crew developed what they call the supply chain theory of inflation. So I'm going to read the quote from Notes Towards the Theory of Inflation. As economist JW. And Mason recently remarked, on his website. Inflation is just an increase in prices. So for every theory of price setting, there's a corresponding theory of inflation. If inflation theory is downstream of price setting, this is still a quote from that article, but not the JW. Maansing quote. If inflation is downstream of price theory, then no account of inflation can begin with the macro economy at all, since prices are set at the micro level. Rather, you need to look at particular industrial sectors, their supply chains, and ultimately the pricing decisions of their firms. Only then are the true causes of inflation, both the internal failures of the industrial system and external shocks to it which can cause price rises revealed. Man's price theory is fairly simple, right. It flows from the basic observation that prices are set by guys in offices, not by something you know abstract as like market forces and supply and demand. In economic terms, what this argument amounts to is the argument that corporations are price makers and not price takers. Right, there's a bunch of guys they sit in offices and develop a strategy of but what prices are going to be? And that's you know, how they're set, and what matters to the people who develop prices are things like goodwill, which is to say, not pissing off their customers by raising prices, and things like their balance sheets which reflect, you know, their incomes and costs. Price in this model is just cost plus markup. And we know this is how prices are actually set because, as Man points out, people have gone through and done surveys of pricing managers and ask them how they set prices and the answer is costless workup. So what would cause these guys in offices to increase their prices, Well, these are companies that are all part of a global supply chain, a very very broad global supply chain, and a very complicated global supply chain. This means that if the cost of the stuff they buy from other suppliers on the chain in order to produce what they're selling, if those prices go up, because there is, to use a purely hypothetical example, a giant global pandemic, those costs increases eventually had to be passed down to the people paying the products, so that the corporation can maintain its balance sheets and maintain its sort of price plus markup as something that you know, covers their costs.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: This is what set off the giant inflation spike in the US and the Biden administration. You know, the cost side of cost plus markup exploded.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't really.
Speaker 5: Matter why the prices increased for our purposes, and our purposes are looking at sort of why Trump won the election. What was important, you know, about inflation wasn't even the price increases, It was the narratives around inflation and how we understand the economy at a moral level. So that we're going to turn to one of the most popular accounts of inflation, so called greedflation. Now, as we've said, price is cost plus markup, and you can raise prices because of cost, but you can also do this because you want to increase your markup. And this is something that happened during the inflation search. Companies realized that consumers were willing to accept higher prices without the usual good will hit because they thought the prices were going up because inflation was happening, and because they were willing to accept the higher prices and not you know, try to shop somewhere else, corporations went, fuck it, let's just keep jacking the prices up, and this really really pissed people off. It still does, and this is something that was true across the entire political spectrum.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: People were very, very angry about this sort of reflation thing. And that rage is more important than the technical details of why inflation happened, because the way we understand inflation is not through conventional economics. We understand it through the moral economy. And when we come back from a different kind of economy, which is to say, this ad break, we are going to examine what the moral economy is, how it differs from our sort of regular economy, where it came from, and why it's relevant to our situation now. And we are so back, all right, let's talk about the moral economy. The moral economy is a concept developed by the British historian E. P. Thompson in the early nineteen seventies. Thompson was attempting to explain the previous century and a half of bread riots by what he termed the English crowd by applying anthropological principles to their actions. I'm just going to read from Thompson's The Moral Economy of the English Crowd here. It is, of course true that riots were triggered off by soaring prices, by malpractice among dealers, or by hunger. But these grievances operated within a popular consensus as to what we're legitimate and what we're illegitimate practices in marketing, milling, baking, et cetera. This, in its turn, was grounded upon a consistent traditional view of social norms and obligations of the proper economic function of several parties within the community, which, when taken together, can be said to constitute the moral economy of the poor. In outrage to these moral assumptions, quite as much as actual deprivation was the usual occasion for direct action. Now, the moral economy of the English crowd in the eighteenth century is about a very specific period in British history, which is to say, the seventeen hundreds, and about how people thought bread should be sold. Peasants and the new urban workers had very specific ideas about bread, about how bread should be produced, about who should be allowed to sell it, about where and when they should be allowed to sell it, about how it should be sold, how.
Speaker 4: It should not be sold.
Speaker 5: And because of this, you know, because of their experience in sort of previous systems, that before the sort of imposition of the free market system or quote unquote free market system. They have a very specific series of hatreds. They hate middlemen, they hate grainhoarders, they hate all of the aspects of the new quote unquote free market that impose additional costs and burdens on them. And they also believed that elites have a kind of moral duty to the masses based on the norms and traditions of their society. And when they welch on that deal in a way that makes people's lives worse, people get extremely pissed off. These peasants, and you know, urban workers particularly hated price increases, and they hated price increases so much that this frequently turned into riots. But the actual contents of these riots are very interesting. Instead of simply seizing all of the grain, they do something else entirely. Here's Thompson again.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 5: The central action in this pattern is not the sack of grainaries in grain or flour, but the action of quote setting the price. From a few lines later, they might then order the farmer just end quote convenient quantities to market to be sold quote and at a quote reasonable price. The justices were further empowered to quote set down a certain price upon a bushel of every kind of grain. So, if you follow this here, right, what's happening in these British bread riots is that the revolt isn't just about their you know, being a price to grain. It's that people have a very very specific moral understanding of what the price of grain should be, and they take direct actions that are designed to set the price of grain to the level they thought it should rest at. And this kind of action is extremely common sort of across Europe in this entire time period. Right, it's also a hallmark of the French Revolution. You can see in this right, in this sort of rage of a price in the sense of justice, the outlines of our current moral economy. You have, you know, staggering outrage's price inclerease is seen as on jests, which is reflation or just inflation in general, because people are just mad about the concept of the price going up, paired with rage at the elites, which manifests the sort of hatred of Joe Biden the Democrats for being the people who presided over these price increases. We also have our own rage about price gouging in immediate market terms. And this is something that the most annoying libertarians and the defenders of the market love to point out. There's nothing actually wrong by market economics about say Martin Skrelly jacking the price of medicine up until you can't afford it anymore, or you know, other things that we find extremely terrible, like people jacking the price of water when people need water, like bottled water dreat hurricanes. We are all outraged, So why do we feel morally strong about it? And that is the moral economy. Maybe this is something that you know, these these reactions, right, the emotional reactions we have to this, the sense of injustice that we feel, are almost entirely outside of the realm of what you would call traditional economics, right, And that's because we're functioning on something that is, in some senses older than that kind of economics. But there's something else going on here at a fundamental level. And what's important about you know, price and the reaction to inflation is that it's an outrage based on a sense of justice.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: This rage is not a measure of direct.
Speaker 5: Exploitation necessarily, I think it was the political scientist James C. Scott who wrote his own book called The Moral Economy of the Peasant, and Scott argues that, you know, and ib Thompson also argues this that it's the moral angle that causes people to revolt, not the direct level of exploitation. You can, in fact, you know, inflict hideous exploitation on people as long as they think that it's just. But when you violate these moral principles, that's when people really lose it. But it also means, right, the fact that the sense of outrage is not necessarily directly tied to the exploitation level. It means that rich people could be bad about inflation even though they're completely fine, because these people also still have this sort of sense of justice about what prices should be. Now, it's also worth noting here that it is possible to have high inflation rates and have everyone be fine. In fact, we have discussed scenarios like that on this show. In my episodes about the rise of Lulah of the current president of Brazil, we discussed how military dictatorship in Brazil produced an economy that was you know, you had twenty percent on year inflation, right, but also you had forty percent yearly wage increases, and so everyone was like kind of fine with it because the amount of money you were making was going up every year, So nobody really cared about even things like the military dictatorship itself. There was not an enormous amount of opposition to it. But then Brazil's trade unions figured out the government had been lying about inflation numbers, and this started off a series of protests that you know, would send Lula like into his blame his political career, and eventually this is one of the sort of dominoes that leads to knocking down the military dictatorship. And that's because you know, the level of exploitations people were living ut or hadn't changed. But the deal that they had made, right, the sort of deal with the military government of like, we won't do anything, our wages will continue to go up, and inflation will continue to work at a certain level such that we're still getting paid. That deal was violated, and that sense of injustice was powerful enough to really kickstart in extremely powerful Brazilian labor movements and kickstart at the fall of a dictatorship. Now, one of Thompson's arguments was that the success of Adam Smith and his Cohort, and Smith is moving around and making his arguments about what the free market is in the period where we're dealing with all of these sort of grand crises. His argument is that the success of Smith was moving economics out of the domain of morality where it was born. Economics was originally an aspect of moral philosophy, right, it was part of that discipline. But you know, Smith and as people move it out. And this is why liberal economists find the anger about inflation so incomprehensible. They see it in purely statistical terms and go like, look, the economy is great. Why is everyone mad? And you know, I could get into hear a bunch of arguments about whether or not this is actually true. I mean, I'm going to return to by sort of classic argument about like, well, yeah, okay, even if you believe all of the economic indicators are great versas people like I'm trans for me, the economy is it has an unemployment rate of like nineteen thirty six US great depression. So you know, there are a lot of people for whom the economic outlook is not good. People for whom you know, even the wage increases that they got in this period still leave them in sort of hideous and crippling poverty. And none of that shit matters because the statistics that these people are trying to use to try to get everyone to calm down are not operating in the inside of the moral economy. They're operating outside of it because they're from a tradition that is specifically about not working inside the moral economy, and the people that're interacting with are in the world economy.
Speaker 4: But why is it like this, right? Why do we have a moral.
Speaker 5: Economy that functions this way in the case of the peasants and you know, the working people of the seventeen hundreds across Europe, and you know this just goes on through the eighteen hundreds too. Right, we can trace the moral economy to a very very specific set of conditions and traditions and expectations rooted in how people traditionally bop bread. But what are the conditions of the modern American moral economy? To understand that, we need to turn to the concept of price itself. But first, do you know what guarantees low price? Actually, I probably shouldn't say the word guarantee, That is probably staggeringly illegible. You know what probably has low prices. It's the products and services that support this podcast.
Speaker 4: We are back.
Speaker 5: Now turn to price. The political economist Shimsheng Bickler and Jonathan Needson argue that price is the unit of what orders capitalist society. You know, price is like the fundamental unit of political economy. It's it's the thing that orders and structures the entire society. If you want to know more about this, read their book Capitalist Power. It's quite good. I am mentioning them because I'm about to misuse their argument completely in tandem with a quote from Marx that I am also about to misuse. And I am going to do this to make a different point. So I agree with Bickler and needs in that price is the unit that orders capitalist society. But what I'm interested in is price is what's called a social hieroglyphic. Now, social hieroglyphic is a term that's a one off term that Marx used wants to talk about how price like mystifies at hure value.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 5: I don't care about that. I care about it because there's something very interesting about price itself, and there's something interesting about the notion of a hieroglyph Now March is using hieroglyph in the term of like it's something you have to be decoded, right, because he's writing in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 4: This is you know, everyone's obsessed with hieroglyphs.
Speaker 5: I am using hieroglyphs because hieroglyphs are also a method of encoding complex information into a single character.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Price as a social hieroglyph is important because price is the mechanism through which we understand and often through which we fail to understand the world.
Speaker 4: Our entire lives.
Speaker 5: In the eyes of the people who rule this world, our entire lives are captured in a single number. Everything you do at work is ultimately just a price on a corporate spreadsheet. The entirety of the labor process of producing a good, every hour worked, every drop of sweat, every tier, every broken body, and shattered city and trade union is lined up in front of a firing squad, appears in the end as a simple number price. To express it another way, heals Daniel conn At the painted bird from their the butcher's share. Let's take a walk around the old bizarre, where every little thing has trafficed far. Every pair of pants and grain of rice contains this poorer story in its price, a story of the power people wield, a story about factories and fields, a story of which you'll never have to be aware, just as long as the butcher gets his share. Price, this single number is how we understand the world, and it causes us to treat price and thus inflation, as a matter of morality and not economic rationality, because price is the way that our society causes us to interact with people. It's the way we interact with objects. It is the thing that structures the way we all behave and understand the world. But price has another function. It is the gatekeeper of capitalist society. Because price and a man with a gun is what's standing between you and the ability to live your life. Outrage of the moral economics of price increases are similar, but not identical, to the impulses behind looting. Everything that you ever need and have been unable to get is when you walk into a grocery store, just sitting there right in front of you, but between you and it is a number and a man with a gun, and the man with a gun fucking hates you. So the moment you're free, you just take it. Price in the entire economic system behind it is organized very specifically, so you don't do this. E. P. Thompson argued that the moral economy was pre political. The movements that it produced could be extremely well organized, but they fundamentally were not the real movement which abolishes the present state of things. In twenty twenty, we for a brief moment saw the outlines of that movement. The uprising was crushed in its place. We saw the emergence of pre political concerns about price.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: We saw once again a massive panic about inflation. And this is not to say that you know, inflation didn't hurt people.
Speaker 2: It did.
Speaker 5: It was in large extents of fiasco. But look at the politics for a moment that this has produced. Right, What the media understands is economic anxiety, and what I think we can now better understand as the moral economy that is a result of the fact that our entire economic system is structured by price, and that we encode all of the information in our life into prices that we sell ourselves for, and that we in turn are sold things for those prices going up. The product of it was Trump, right, and there's I think a reason why these sort of pre economic explanations are preferred to the answers and you know, to the actions that people saw in twenty twenty four years later. Portland, one of the centers of the uprising, now has almost every grocery store the exit of it is armed guards with guns. And these guards are there to maintain the price system. They're there because for a very brief moment, people started thinking something dangerous. They started thinking, what if this didn't have a price?
Speaker 4: It's it could happen here.
Speaker 5: The podcast that's happening right now, this is maybe the foremost of the Putting Things Back Together episodes. I'm your host Miya Wong with me as James Stout guy. He likes it to put things together. Yeah, and you know, on the subject of putting things together over the last I don't even know three four weeks, the question I have been asked the most by everyone is how do I start organizing? And you know the problem with how do I start organizing is that it's not a question that has cleaner, simple answers. Now, the most common answer you get is just join an org. And the problem is that most of the people who you were hearing this from are already in an org. And want you to join their org.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, the problem is a lot of the orgs that are currently dominating left to spaces in the in the United States.
Speaker 4: Are trash, yeah, and bad for people, bad people in them, bad people who are not in them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here's a little test you can you can do. Is your org currently sad that Basha a Lasad is no longer governing Syria? Because if that's the case.
Speaker 4: Leave yep.
Speaker 5: And that's that's a lot of orgs that that's not Yeah, that takes most of them right now. We'll come back to orgs in a bit. But what I'll say about orgs is that, Okay, if you know an organization in your area that you like and you think does good work and most importantly spends their time actually doing work instead of either in fighting or talking about doing work, you join them. It will be good. But the important thing about organizations, and this is something we'll come back to you later. The important thing about organizations is they have a lot of people. Yeah, And the thing that makes organizing work is people. It's not organizations. It's not even necessarily ideological labels. It's there being a bunch of people who you can use and who want to do things. Yeah, but something I realized that the more I had these conversations, right, you know, I'm having it with friends, I'm having them with strangers, I'm having them with other organizers. And the more I had these conversations, the more I realize something sort of startling you. The person listening to this almost certainly already knows how to organize, but you don't know that that's called organizing. Yeah, that's a very good point. I have encountered some of the most stunning or I mean organizing that like I can't discuss the specifics of, but like some of the best organizing I've ever encountered. I have ran into you in the last three weeks some people who don't think that they're organizers and started talking to me about their stuff. I was like, what, Like, people are winning victories that like the like hardcore committed organizers haven't been able to do in like thirty years. Yeah, and it's just by random people who don't think they know how to do anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Can I tell a little organizing story?
Speaker 2: Do we have time?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, go for it.
Speaker 1: So I remember in like twenty eighteen, I am on a trip with a friend. We're coming back and we see the arrival of the migrant caravan. One of the migrant caravan is the one that everyone decided to have a fucking cow about right before the twenty eighteen mid terms. And at that time, they were corraling the people of the migrant caravan in a baseball stadium in Tijuana, and like it was raining every day, So the baseball stadium ends.
Speaker 4: Up looking like the Battle of the Psalm after like a couple of.
Speaker 1: Days, right, you know, kids in leady mud and shit, and I particularly know what to do, but evidently there were people there who were hungry and thirsty, and so I get three of my my friends. At this time, I was still making about half my money riding bicycles and in the other half writing. So my friends and I supposed to do a long bike ride. All of us are people who make a living riding bikes, right, we're not like expert organizers. And I was like, hey, guys, this is fucked.
Speaker 4: Which we do.
Speaker 1: We called a friend who has a company who makes waffles, where we obtained like as many waffles as we could physically carry across the border. At that time, we weren't able to get in. We found a way to get in. We began distributing the waffles. After that, we put something online, people sent us money, and we continued feeding people for months. None of us, I think, had a particular plan or a scheduled. Yeah, it is a bit chaotic at times, but we were able to do that and with a lot of other people. Clearly wasn't just us, right, but we were able to process tenths of thousands of dollars and feed thousands of people.
Speaker 4: Be everyone there, And.
Speaker 1: I've seen this countless times, especially working and organizing with well with refugees. For the most part, people are so good at organizing each other in themselves. Like when we got there with bottles of water and food, there are a thousand people who have not had sometimes a drink for days, let alone more than a thousand, I think, let alone something hot to eat. Right, Everybody made sure that the children and the sick people got what they needed first.
Speaker 4: Organizing is something that is very inherent in us as people. It just we don't call it that. Yeah, And that's part of what I want to try to the myth.
Speaker 5: I want to try to puncture with this because I think particularly in the US, but this is true in a lot of places. There's this way in which the organizer sort of TM capital T capital O. The organizer gets held up as this sort of I guess, even a particularly masculinist thing, which is it's this this guy with specialized knowledge, and that's just not true. This brings us something that I think is actually really important, which is what what even is organizing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: And the answer is that most organizing is you get you get a group of people together, you get them to show up to something, and then you do something right. And the thing about this, right, that's something all of you know how to do. If you can organize a dinner party, right, if you can get eight people to show up to a place to eat dinner, you can do this. It is it is largely the same skill sets, and all of the skill sets that make people good organizers are skill sets that you have to develop to you know, work a job right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Like one of the things that comes up a lot in this which is less discussed and also kind of annoying, but you know you have to manage it is that organizing is about people and sometimes you have to you know, you have to do things like you have to manage people's egos. But like, I don't know, almost all of you work jobs or have work jobs, right, you have had to like deal with your boss being on one right, you have the skills to do this. You know how to do the interpersonal relationship stuff. It's just that you don't think about that as organizing, even though that's that's.
Speaker 1: Just what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the core of it is getting people to do stuff, like like you do it every.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the way you do this is by building relationships with people, right, And this isn't necessarily friendships, although that works. And like, one of the easiest ways to start organizing is by getting all of your friends together because you're already friends, you have pre existing relationships, and being like, Okay, motherfuckers, we gotta go do something.
Speaker 4: And actually I love that.
Speaker 5: The first thing that you brought up was an admittedly sort of medium ish scale lift version of this. But one of the very easiest things that you can do is you can just get food of some kind. You can either buy it or you can make it yourself, and you and a group of like eight people, not even eight people, you can do it with lower I know people who've done this just solo.
Speaker 4: Is that you can just go give food to people. Yeah. Literally it was this morning, so I'm tired.
Speaker 1: Yesterday morning, I have some mine house neighbors right and it was cold, and so I went out and gave them some hot breakfast, so hot coffee. It's super easy to do if you are struggling socially wherever you are, maybe you're finding a hide to make friends. I know that's the thing people often struggle, especially if you've moved to a new place or post pandemic, or you're still concerned with Liuvede gatherings or any of those things. Like, if you start doing that, you will find other people who want to do it too, Like so many of my friends I organize with are people. Like when we had the end of Title forty two and people were in between the fences that a lot of the people who I organize with now or who helped people with now, I didn't know. I just showed up with a giant sider generator that I happened to have and some stuff that we had to whip around a CAOL zone for and like people who care about the same things as you are generally cool and it's a good way to make friends, and then you can go on from there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's a second compounding thing here too, which is that you know, feeding people it's a way to build relationships with people, and also it's a really good way for people to get to know you in general and know that you are someone who will help them with things. Yeah, and from there, and this is a very common except I mean this is I literally had this conversation with one of my friends who's like an old school Food Not Bombs organizer. Food Not Bombs is a very very it's a cool organization. You can just like found a food out Bobs chapter. They have like a couple of principles, or you can just do your own thing. And I'm pretty sure it's still like the largest anarchist project in the world. Yeah, because all it takes is you and like three other people and you just go feed people. But the thing is from doing that, right, if there's other things that you're concerned about, people will bring you their problems and you can help them doing it. And this is a very good way to get into other kinds of organizing because suddenly, once you start building these relationships. Everything sort of cycles and cycles, and you know, you get involved in more and more things. Yeah, and that's kind of a that's kind of a late stage thing that we're sort of jumping to a bit. But I want to go back to the beginnings of how so, how do you get a group of people together to do a thing? And the answer is you kind of already know how to because you presumably at some point in your life have like organized a group of friends to go do something, right, Like I've gotten a group of people together to go accomplish a task.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it could literally be anything, right, like, yeah, if you've got some people to go to a bar, you have the skills.
Speaker 5: One way I've been thinking about it recently and in my project is putting is thinking about it as like putting together a heist crew.
Speaker 4: And so, okay, I could vouch for this right.
Speaker 5: The feeling of walking up to eight people and telling them individually, I'm putting together a team and I want you it is.
Speaker 4: It feels you can just do it. There is nothing stopping you.
Speaker 5: There nothing in the world can stop you from just walking up to your friend and going I'm putting together a team, and it feels exactly as good as you think it would from the Ice movie.
Speaker 4: It rules, It's so fun amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and and but this gets into also what kinds of people you want to do right, because obviously you know, there's two vectors of this. There's on the one hand, you have the aspect of okay, who do you know? Right, And a lot of organizing is just about, here is a problem, and I know someone who has some sort of skill or resource that can that can help deal with it, and you put people in touch with each other, and that's organizing. That's so much organizing is literally just hey, like I have like a broken part of my car. I know someone who's like a car mechanic, right, and you put them in touch, and you have successfully organized people, and you have built relationships, and you have made all of the sort of social web that creates organizing.
Speaker 4: You've made it stronger. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It also just feels good because you know, and that's an auxiliary benefit to all of this is that it's a great it's a great way to sort of break break the isolation we're all under.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the best solution for despair is.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of a quotation here something that the busy bee have no time for despair. But the thing that makes me feel better about the world is that I have seen that people can fix massive problems with very few resources by just showing up. And like I think, organizing is what gives me, what allows me to enter this period of time that we're entering into with a with a great deal more hope than I otherwise would have done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and do you know what else will help you enter your situation with Is it the products and services that support this podcast.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but we are not in control of the length of the ads.
Speaker 4: They just do it. We're sorry, here's a really long period of ads. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 5: We are back. So I want to I want to return to my highest career if I don't know if if you're a D and D person, the other way you can think about this is you're putting together like a Dungeons and Dragons party or like an RPG party. And the way you need to think about this is, Okay, so you've picked a thing that you want to do, right. You see, you've seen something in the world that is bad and you figure it you go, Okay, I can do this thing to solve it. And maybe and maybe that's you know, it's literally something as simple as feeding people. Maybe that's you know, I want to start. I want to start doing tenants organizing. I want to start because my rent is too high, right, people are getting evicted. I want to start doing like immigration defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And from there you make a list and that list is you know what you're interested in doing, and you try to match what things need to be done with people you know who have those skills. Yeah, and this is you know, this, this is is where you release and get into the higst things, right, because everyone has their sort of like highst role. Now, obviously part of this that you want is you want to create sort of balanced teams, right. You want people who have overlapping strengths so you don't just have only one person who can do a thing. And part of the way the successful organization works over time, and I mean just how successful organizing works is that eventually you are trying to organize yourself out of a job. Which is to say, you want your organization to function such that if you're not able to do it, you know, or just you're gone or you cycle onto a next thing, or you know, any any number of things that can happen. You want the organization to still be able to keep working without you, and you want you want you're trying to get people to be able to replace you as the person who's like organizing the thing, right, Yeah, And at this point we can start talking about the kinds of skills that people need for organizing, and a lot of people and this is unbelievably common when I talk to people, and like especially women and especially like a lot of non binary people and trans people particularly have this is that people don't believe that they have any skills and then you talk to them for five seconds and they're like, well, I'm good at carrying heavy objects, right, I'm good with kids, which is a huge one. We'll get to you in a second, right, Or like, I don't know, I have a car. That's a huge skill. There are so many different skills that are so useful for so many things. I'm just gonna go over lots of things that are actually really useful to get to get people a sense of like the kinds of things that there are. There are massive roles for so one of the most important ones and this is something you can you deliberately look for. You know, this is this is one of the things you do at the beginning of any union organizing campaign. Someone who's good at talking to other people and making friends. That is a staggeringly useful person because again, most most organizing is just talking to people and building relationships. And you know, one of the things you do when you're when you're doing your sort of they call it power mapping. But when when you when you're figuring out how you're going to organize a workplace, is you find the person who everyone likes and talks to and respects, and you talk to that person. Yeah, because that person can you know, can sort of like organize people down the chain because they have they have their relationships already, and also they're good they'll be good at, you know, talking to new people and and spreading your organization that way, and so, like, you know, if you're just someone who's social or and this is also very useful if you have a friend who is very social, because I know a lot of us are oporary social, but you probably have a friend that you're thinking of right now who is very good at conversations. That is charming and is good at making friendships. That person unbelievably useful, incredibly useful and compelling skill. Yeah, there are also things like research people who are good at and I think people are much better at research than they think to take like a tat a's organizing example. Right, one of the common things you have to do is find out stuff about a landlords, right, Yeah, and there's the higher difficulty version of that, which isn't that hard. Also, I want to mention this, but like going to a courthouse and finding records about who owns property companies.
Speaker 4: That high it's not that hard.
Speaker 5: It's like you could just do it, right, It's not as hard as you think it is from someone saying it. But there's also even just easier things than that, right, that all of you probably already know how to do, which is just looking at someone's social media profiles and finding out information about them. Yeah, and this is very useful, yeah, for like union campaigns, bosses.
Speaker 1: If you've ever been a person who uses dating apps, especially if you're a woman, yeah, yeah, then you know how to ocin. Actually maybe you don't credit yourself with that skill, but one hundred percent that like you've developed that skill to keep yourself safe.
Speaker 4: And you can use it for good. Do you want to explain what ocent is? And yes, how that how that process works?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, So open source intelligence is it's an acream doesn't really need to exist. It's gathering information off open sources, things sort of openly accessible, right, as opposed to like humint, which is like being a spy, or singint, which is capturing signals. Open source information is you're creeping someone's Instagram, creeping their Facebook, looking at the weird fucking shit that they put on good Reads. Right, all the data that is out there, largely on the internet, about us. A lot of people put a lot of information on the Internet. And it's very easy. And I would imagine that if you're under fifty and maybe if you're over fifty two, like you just know how to do this because it's what you do anyway you want to find out about someone. And especially if you are a person who goes on dates with people who you haven't met before and haven't been introduced to by a mutual friend but you meet on the internet, you probably already do this to keep yourself safe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is something that's very useful for I mean, there's so many use cases for this, right. There's you know, there's the very obvious ones where you're dealing with the local Nazi and you're trying to organize around like running them out. People say from them and you can find information about them. But I mean, it's useful for cops who are beating people. Is useful for politicians particularly, It can be very useful for it's useful for landlords. This happens all the time. It can be very very useful for bosses and union campaigns. Unions have like teams of researchers usually to like do this kind of stuff. But the thing is also and this is something I don't think people understand. Those guys, like the people they're hiring to be researchers are just you, but they got a job being a researcher for a union. Like they have the same skills as you. They know how to like Google stuff, and they know how to look through people's like dating profiles and like look through their their facebooks and Instagrams, and like a big one, a big one that that the rich people especially do not think about is like cash app and venmo oh venop because yeah, yeah, because because people's peoples trying. People just leave public transactions out there like that. That's how they got what's his name, the congressional Gates. Can I legally call him the congressional pedophile? I guess they call him the accused pedophile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the man credibly accused of sleeping with an underage woman lots of times, you know.
Speaker 5: And one of the ways they found that was that and also like paying paying for that right, yes, which is which is rape by the way, I want to be very clear about that, like, yeah, having sex with someone who is underage is rape.
Speaker 4: It is always rape, you know.
Speaker 5: And the way people found that was that they just looked through like his cash app history and they found all of these money transfers to people. You know, this is all very very simple stuff. That's that's very very useful organizing wise that you already know how to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Pinterest is another absolute back Yeah. People, Yeah, so much interesting people on a pinning that they be pinning. You know, if you're hearing some of these things and you think that you can figure out how to do this. That's also a huge skill finding people who are willing to learn things and willing to learn new skills is a huge benefit to organizers because you know this, this gives you, like, this gives you a flexible person, right, it gives it gives you someone you can like flex into into any of a bunch of roles that you need. And also can you know, pick up skills to learn things. Having a car and being able to drive.
Speaker 5: And I know a lot of you don't do this, but if you do do this, this is you immediately, even if you literally cannot contribute anything else to a project. Being able to just drive a bunch of water to a place, oh yeah, huge, staggeringly useful.
Speaker 1: The amount of things that people can't access because they can't get there, it's vast, especially when I when I talk to migrants right have recently arrived in the US. They don't have a US cell phone, they can't uber yea. Oftentimes nowadays you can't even pay for mass transit with cash. You have to have a special card and then you have to get to the place to get the card. Right, The problems you can solve by being able to drive someone five miles are enormous, especially in the US, where everything is designed around everyone owning a motor car at all times yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And like transport based skills are also very useful. I mean, if you hike a lot, that's a very very useful skill. There's a lot of sort of mutual aid projects. There's a lot of you know, I mean even things like like setting up summer camps is the thing that like leftist groups do right, and being able to hike very good for that.
Speaker 4: It's good for things like wilderness rescue.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of you know the James like the work you do that has to do with like going in helping migrants, Like being able to hike is staggeringly useful skill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's very like, it's useful, it's important. It's okay if that's not something you can physically do or you know that that works for the way you like to live your life. Like another thing I was thinking of which can be massively important and people don't realize is if you know how to take off a tail light and replace the bulb in it. Yes, Like we're entering a time when people with darker, people with TPS, people who are undocumented, people are on temporary migration statuses are going to be definitely afraid of any interaction with law enforcement. If you can change the bulb on someone's tail light or their turn signal indicators of us in the UK, then you can meaningfully protect that person in a really important way.
Speaker 4: And it can literally take ten minutes.
Speaker 5: And this is something that you can scale up depending on how much skill you have. Right, there's even just very basic auto maintenance stuff is very useful for stuff like this.
Speaker 4: But you know, like if you're a.
Speaker 5: Carpenter, right, if you're an electrician, you do some kind of trade work, right, you do plumbing, right, that is the thing that is massively useful to a lot of people. There's a lot of other kind of just skills that you have from your job that can be very useful. I mean having someone to manage a spreadsheet oh yeah, yeah is aggeringly useful. And another one that I think people don't understand that they really have, but like being able to set up a meeting and like having a thing that lets you be like, okay, here's when everyone is free. Like you probably have to do this for your job or just for you know, trying to get your friends to go even just like be on a call together or like go have food or like just do anything. That is what literally, genuinely one of the most important skills you can possibly have as an organizer is the ability to just sort of like go talk to people and be like, hey, can you show up to this thing here? Yeah, and that is that is so much of just what organizing is. Can you be here at this time? And then trying to figure out a time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we're going to close out this sort of skill section with some I think just sort of like domestic these skills that I don't think people realize are super useful. If you have a button maker, you are instantly the single most useful person in any organization of that. Or you could obtain a button maker. They're very easy to use. But if you have one or you know the person who has the button maker, and suddenly you can just crank out buttons for every single event they rule. Everyone loves them. It helps, It helps me enormously. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: That's a badge for those in the Commonwealth. Also, if you have a sewing machine, yeah, I was about to mention that, Yeah, yeah, you're a hero.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of my friends recently made me a little patch and it's really cool and I like it and putting all my stuff. But if you can sew, like, that's a skill that I do not have. And it's so great when people can fix stuff for someone or you know, make stuff fit someone. You know, if you're a person who finds it hard to get clothes that you like to wear that make you feel good, and someone one of my friends could do that. And one of my friends was making clothes for another friend for like a renaissance fair, and it was a nice thing I've seen someone do for someone else in a very long time. It really made her like, yeah, feel like nice and cared for. And like you might think that like this is just a weird little thing that you like to do with your sewing machine, but you can meaningfully really make someone feel cared for using that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that's a huge part of what organizing is right, and and that that goes into one of the things that is also an appreciable skill that's very useful, is I mean just like being nice to people, being kind to people, and having people around who are good at like keeping groups together. Yeah, And that's its own distinct kind of person is someone who can you know, keep all of the people who are involved in a thing, enjoying being around each other. That's that's that's a kind of person who's very valuable, and it's something that you can look for, you know. And if that's not you, like you can there's something you can you know, find in your friends. You can find in this sort of the people around you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 5: There's also something that I think you can tell when an organization is collapsing, because this is like the first thing with the quality drops drawing and graphic design are very very useful because a big part of what you do organizing is like you make a flyer and you put a flyer on a bunch of telephone poles to tell people that there's a thing happening. Yea, and yeah, you know, and this is also something you know later on you might be making a social media presence, but just having good artists and having good graphic design people is enormously useful for this kind of stuff. Yeah, and along this line, these things like making music, and there's a bunch of different ways this can go. This can be an immediate thing where you know, like you have people on a picket line, right and everyone's singing songs and this is great. We love this also, and this is another thing that you can be thinking about in terms of what skills you have and what things you can create benefit shows. This has been a huge part of a lot of how some of the Union stuff up here has been getting funded is by just having like punk benefit shows. And if that's the thing that you can do, well, you know people in bands, you know people who make music, you know people who just make stuff who are willing to contribut to the cause, that's great.
Speaker 1: I remember one of we had one night last September, so cold. We were in the desert and I'm like a thousand people, right, and we were at that point we were really struggling to feed everyone, even you know, because there was so few of us. But my friend bought out like their guitar and some bongo drums they had, and I think I had my harmonica in my truck, and like we were sitting around with these. We had some Seek guys, had some Weiga folks come from China, and then some Kourdish people and they were all explaying their different music and it was so nice like that, taking people out of a shitty situation for a moment with music. Again, like don't underestimate how important that it don't feel like if you have that skill, it's not a useful one.
Speaker 5: No, And this is something I've been starting to say more and more. If you need a three brained way to say this to someone who like is is like a curmudgety marks just who hates fun.
Speaker 4: Morale is a terrain of struggle that this is.
Speaker 5: There's a reason why more is one of the most important factors of military campaigns. You can't get people to do things if they're too depressed to do it. Yeah, And being able to raise people's morale, it's it's this massive if you want again, want to go into technical language, is a massive force multiplayer, right, It makes everyone you have enormously more effective, the better they feel about themselves and the better they feel about the situation they're in. And things like music, things like art, I mean things like pulling pranks.
Speaker 4: This thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you were if you were in good practical jokester, this is a staggeringly useful skill. Both like in terms of you know, you need to be careful about whether you're you're playing your pranks on like other people in the ORG. But like you know, if you know how to just like pull pranks. This is a really really useful thing in like union campaigns, it tenants organizing. There are a lot of people who you can prank and it's very funny and it lowers their morale and it raises your morale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I go back to your music as a like a like morale. It's a terrand of struggle. Like the other memory I have last year of playing guitars is in Rajava, being inside at night because everyone was getting drone struck all the time and it was dangerous to be driving around, sitting around with some ZD friends and like we spent all night playing the ood, which is like a it's like a guitar with a gord on the bottom and it to describe it like it's a string instrument. It's a string instrument, is what it is. And like that made everyone so happy. We had such a nice evening. Everyone was able to like get through it's a relatively difficult thing. Like, you know, it sucks that people are being killed and just for driving around are existing and they're bombing all this citly infrastructure and the power keeps going out and all these things. Right, like, but there's a reason that those people have kept ood around after fifteen thirteen years of war, and it's because it is important, and so don't overlook that.
Speaker 5: And you know, and resisting fear is another huge aspect of this, right. A lot of the ways that people like, a lot of the ways that you demobilize people. This is, this is why regimes like this spend a lot of effort trying to make people afraid. He is that it makes it harder for you to act. And things that you know, the things that make you less afraid, even if they sort of seem silly, are very very important. And you know, on sort of this note, one of the things that you know, as you've assembled your group of people, right, one of the things that that that's important to be able to sort of have a grasp on is that you can't just do organizing by having it only be the capital, the serious thing, the captialty organizing thing all the time. Your organization will not hold together. There has to be actual like bonds formed between you and the people you're organizing with and the people you're trying to help.
Speaker 1: I don't want to call out any organization in particular, there is an organization that perceives organizing to exist solely in the realm of wearing a high based vest and carrying a clipboard and getting people to write that email addresses down and then telling them to attend things, and like maybe there are several organizations like that. I don't know, I've just I've perceived one locally. If you don't have those bonds that, like those interpersonal relationships, like these things won't hang together. Like yeah, so many of my happiest organizing memories, like again going down James Memory Lane, I guess I have a memory of like Christmas Eve last year twenty twenty three, me and my friends have been out. I know some of them listen because some of them have come across from different states to help us at Christmas Holidays, which is nice. And it was cold, and we had been feeding people all day, and then we'd heard some people in another location that we'd gone to find. And then we got to the end of the day and like, rather than just going home, I had a bunch of we had some MRIs left the refugee emory sort of vegan. Lots of us are vegan, so we were like, we're not going to find any other vegan food in the middle of nowhere out here, So we'll set around eating the little vegan MREs and like just talking and like sharing some some thoughts and things we experience over the last months of doing this, And like, it's those moments that make your organizing groups so much stronger.
Speaker 4: No one's telling.
Speaker 1: Anyone to do anything. You know, there's genuine bonds and that the love and friendship we build up between each other doing things that are very important. Don't overlook the value of those because it's extremely valuable.
Speaker 4: And this is something that I think you can understand in your own life pretty easily, where Okay, if a random person on the street walks up to you and tells you to go do something, are you going to do it? It's like no, why No?
Speaker 5: Probably not, Like I don't know, Maybe it's something like really sort of, hey, there's children in a burning building. We're going to run in and grab them. But like, the odds are no, you're going to ignore them. But if your friend goes and tells you to do the same thing, and you know you've been friends with them for a long time and you really care about them, the odds of you doing it are much much higher, and that's all organizing is. It's finding ways to You have a thing to do, and you go talk to people and you ask if they want to help you do it. Yeah, and the stronger your relationships are, the more lucky that is to happen. And that's why it's very important to do things like you know, just like having potlucks, like bringing snacks and beatings. Oh yeah, and like you know, even if you're doing a potluck, it's good to you know, you do like one capital capital T organizing thing, right, you get like a little bit of work done, but mostly everyone's just sort of relaxing and eating chili or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're a baker, you know, you can bay people. It's a wonderful thing to God.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And just knowing how to cook. I realized I forgot to mention this one. Knowing how to cook is a staggeringly useful skill. And it's useful in literally every literally any kind of organizing you can possibly be. And it is a thing. It is a skill that is useful in like it's useful in war zones. It's useful like literally no matter what organization you are in, if you can cook for people, oh yeah, and you don't even and you don't have to be like a good cook. It's just like you can show up food that you have made. You have instantly made this whole thing more successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, Like I've had some wonderful meals in wazone and I've deeply appreciated those people. More broadly though, those ties like the way we organize without the state. The reason I believe that that is the way we should organize and the way we will continue to organize in a way that we can make the state irrelevant is because we understand each other as people and care about each other as people, and then we approach our organizing holistically, right with everyone in it knowing this person is good at this, but they're struggling with this right now, and I care about them, so I'm not going to make them do that right now. That is how we can build sustainable communities in a way that state cannot and in a way that capitalism cannot. Right because fucking hurts rent a car doesn't care or know about its employees in a way that we who organize with people and care and love one another do, and like that where our organizations will always be stronger than those created by capitalism of the state.
Speaker 5: Yeah, unfortunately, speaking of capitalism of the state, we're taking our last ad break where you want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hopefully it's a Trentdica.
Speaker 2: We are back.
Speaker 4: So I want to wrap things up by doing a couple of doing a few things.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about some kind of basic organizing things that you're going to have to do that are not very difficult but are extremely important. And second, I want to talk a bit about how we did the first organizing project that I ever was involved in, which was tenants organizing, because it's really not that hard, right, you just go do the thing, it will happen, Yeah, and suddenly it ceases to be this like, oh, this domain of expert knowledge, and there's like, oh, this is a really difficult thing. If you just I don't know, you go give food to someone and suddenly you've done that and it's happened. So there are things that are important to like basic organizing stuff. Knowing how to book rooms from like churches, from libraries, from whatever, meeting spaces, and also knowing how to book rooms in places that like accommodate disabilities is a huge thing because a lot of people book meetings in places are a wheelchair accessible and it's a fucking fiasco. And you can avoid that very easily, but you have to put a little tiny bit of work into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Literally, I reached out to a friend to book a room last night because I knew they would get at that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, there's arranging people's schedules, getting people show up for stuff, Things you can do to prepare if what you're doing is basically all the things we've been describing, right, getting together a bunch of people to do a thing that is technically forming an organization. Yeah, Now, how formal informat you want it to be, or just you know, maybe it's just your organizing project or whatever. There's things you usually want. You want some kind of email so people can contact you in tandem with the email. Something that's very helpful that I think younger people tend not to think about is getting Google Voice. Yes, when Google Voice lets you set up a voicemail account so people can call you and leave phone messages. I mean everyone should just do this because this is the way that a lot of older people communicate.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: They won't send you an email, but they will leave you a voice message, and it's very very useful for this. Childcare is something that's important. I did, I mean a lot is probably too strong of a word, but like I did childcare when I was organizing, and it wound up being really helpful because there's a lot of people with kids, and so you know, there's a couple of ways that this could work. One is that you know, you have everyone bring their kids. You have like a little space, you bring them like coloring stuff, you bring them toys, you bring them games, and you just sort of watch everyone for a while. And as an organizing thing. Again, if you're good with kids, that's very useful, staggeringly useful organizing skill.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Another way this stuff happens.
Speaker 5: Is you know, everyone pulls together ten bucks and you hire a babysitter, Yeah, for a bunch of kids. And that's a very useful organized thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I organize with people who have kids.
Speaker 1: I remember four years ago, fuck me twenty twenty a long time ago, and also yesterday, but like we were organizing to feed and house people and we were having a big Thanksgiving dinner and like some of my friends have very young children and they bought them. And I think it's actually really cool to do that. A like for those kids, it is normal that, like we look after people in our community. This is what we do and ever since I've been little, this is what we did. And like it's also very nice for people. Like a lot of my friends also brought their children down to the border, especially last year when we had because there were children there anyway, right, Yeah, some of my friends who bring their children down and their kids would play with the other kids, and like it doesn't matter that some of the kids are Kurdish and some of the kids are from China and some of them are from Columbia or whatever. Like, they'll get along just fine. When they're four or five years old, they don't care. They just want to kick a ball or see a Teddy Bear or something. Yeah, I think it's really good for your children to you know, you're bringing them into a world which is cruel and at times unequal, and like your kids seeing that, like we can make a difference and we can do this. I think it's one of the best educations you can give your children.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's something that's good for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And it's also very I think one of the things I see a lot wh people are organizing thing with refugees of the end house is like they're just people, Like you don't need to be afraid of them, Like they don't want to hurt your children. And having your children around shows that, like you have grasped they're just people and that you feel safe and your children are safe around them. And I think that that's valuable too. You're giving both parties some dignity in that moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are some other very basic things that I think are very important. If you've never done this before, I'm going to talk a little bit about how you run a meeting. Yeah, and you would think that this doesn't matter, and until you watch a group of one hundred people who don't know how to do this attempt to get anything done and they it just is a fiasco. And this is even true sort of smaller groups. Yeah, so I'm going to give you how to run a meeting one oh one, Okay. A very common way to organize meetings that people use all over the world and it's very effective is you have two things. You have an agenda and you have a stack. And those are like the technical terms for them. The agenda I mean is an agenda, right, you know what an agenda is. You put the things that you need to do on it. And another thing that's very helpful with these is you know you're going to be operating at our time constraints because people don't have forty five hours.
Speaker 4: To be in meetings, and my god, you don't want to be in a meeting for that long. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: Knowing how long roughly you want to talk about these things is very very useful and making sure that you're of moving the conversation through the stuff on the agenda because you have more stuff you need to talk about. All of this again, like this all sounds very obvious, and again you know how to do it, but until you've been in a room where people have not realized they need to do this, you don't understand how.
Speaker 4: I'm put on this stuff yet pain of it not happening.
Speaker 5: God, I have watched rooms full of like sciet these are like professional scientists, right, So this is the entire room of one hundred feet of people with physics PhDs who don't know how to run a meeting, and it's a shit show. And all of this stuff could have been avoided with with some very very simple things.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: The other thing, and this is genuinely a piece of social technology, right, it is the stack It is very simple, right. You have one person who is the stack keeper, and whatsone wants to talk. You have one person talking at a time, and what someone wants to talk, they raise their hand, they make some kind of signal to the stack keeper, and that person writes their name down, and so you now have a list of who gets to talk in what order. And so you go down the list and people get the say things. And again you know how to do this. This is not like a complicated thing. But again I have watched people who collectively have like more PhDs than like I earn money in a week, Like who know, I can not be.
Speaker 4: Able to pick this out, and you do. I believe in you. I believe in you, dear listener.
Speaker 5: But you could do this. Yeah, there's a very common Sometimes this is one person and sometimes this is two people. A very common way to do it is to have a stack taker and then have someone who's the facilitator. And the facilitator's job is to call on the people and to try to like move the conversation forwards and get and make sure make sure everyone's involved. And also another important part of this, and this is again something you'll know from your stupid work meetings, is you have to get people like me to shut up.
Speaker 4: Your meetings can't just be one person giving a speech. You have to cut them the fuck off and you have to get to the next person. Yeah, and doing that courteously is a skill. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And finally on this note, there's a lot of if you want to go into the like more technical stuff, part of the things the facilitators use and part of you know, the formal name for this is like the progressive stack, but it's just a thing that's very useful in organizing is you want to make sure everyone in a room is engaged and talking and that it's not just three people who talk all the time. Yeah, and you know, and so the idea of the progressive stack, right is you're trying to find the most marginalized people in degrees, people who are least likely to speak, and you're trying to get them in first. And sometimes this is literally just like, hey, someone hasn't been talking in a meeting this whole time, and you can like ask them what they think about something or asked if they have anything to say, and a lot of times they will, but they just don't feel confident enough to say it. And this is this is a very very important skill for a facilitator or just even you could just do this in a meeting too, right, Like you can be the person who goes like, hey, do you have this this person have anything to contribute? And that is an enormous thing. Sometimes it can be you know, sometimes it can be a little bit awkward, but it's a very important thing because you're just losing out on people who have really really valuable ideas and contributions and plans. And if you just let the same three people give speeches, you can't get to the stuff that's actually useful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, if you've been a teacher or in any way what you know, you probably have had you have this skill. You might not consider it a skill, but even if you've been a TA in grad school something like that, you probably know how to do this.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So I'm going to put all of this together briefly, and I'm going to run through basically how we started the first organizing project I ever day, which was a tenants union in Chicago. Okay, so this is based on my memory. It's been a long time since I did this, but my basic memory of what we did was okay. So one of my friends is an experienced organizer. I was like a tiny baby, right this this was my first offline organizing project ever.
Speaker 4: Right, I had no idea what was doing.
Speaker 5: I thought I was a guy, which, like, that's how much of a fiasco, Like little tidy baby bo who doesn't know anything?
Speaker 4: This was, you know.
Speaker 5: And so my friend talked to some people that he knew, and he knew that I, you know, I was interested in getting involved in tennis organizing, and we like went to a cafe and we sat down and we ate and we just talked about what we wanted to do, what our plans were, what things we needed to do to get this organization set up. We talked about ideological stuff. And that's actually is something else important too, is part of organizing is getting people to think intentionally about their actions and think politically about their actions. Yeah, and that's something that's very useful. You also have to make sure that you're not forming a book club. Like book clubs are fine, but you need to make sure you're organizing group. If you try to do a thing, has it just become a book club? But that that's you know that that was something that was very useful to us. And you know, we started making a plan. And our plan was, okay, we made a bunch of flyers and then we went out and I did this, and I walked around through a bunch of streets and put them a light post or whatever. And then we put them like we hung them up in the buildings of tenants, you know, because you can just like walk up the stairs right and you need to put them on the walls. And you know, we had this flyer, this firehead information. This flyer said, okay, we're starting a tenant's union. If you have tenant, if you have issues with your landlord, or you want to talk about tenants stuff like, come here. At this time, we had an email you can send us stuff. We had a phone number that you could call ye you know, and so okay, and so parallel to this, we like, I forget if it was a church or if it was some building, some set center or something. We booked a room. We were kind of lucky in that we had like local press people nice who we sort of knew and This is another useful like if knowing a journalist can be a very useful skill, because one way to get a project off the ground, if you're trying to get to a bunch of people, is by finding a journalist who is willing to cover it, because you know, we're we're finding founding like the first tenants union in this place, right yeah, And you know, so we had media coverage and we got kind of screwed when this event eventually came together because there was like three feet of snow that night. But people still came, like people still came in the blizzard, Like a lot of people showed up for this.
Speaker 4: But what are things that we do?
Speaker 5: We also, like, you know, we just we just started talking to people, right, We started talking to tenants about their problems. We just you know, we talked to our friends, We talked to the people they knew. We ended up talking to someone, you know, and this is the thing that just happens as it spreads by word of mouth, right people start contacting you. We ran into a really long time tenants organizer in the city who had a bunch of incredible stories about how our corrupt politicians got their jobs by portraying the old Tenets organizers. Right. That's the other thing is you know, another thing that happens in projects is you'll you'll sometimes you'll just you just pick up someone who's you know, has been doing this since like the sixties. Yeah, and it rules because they have a wealth of experience and they want to they want to do stuff.
Speaker 4: We plotted out what we were.
Speaker 5: Going to do at our meeting, you know, we were going to do some political education. We were gonna have a bunch of time for people to talk about stuff, and we were gonna, you know, get get people to understand what we were doing how they can start organizing. And then we did it, and I unfortunately don't remember much of what we talked about because I was off in another room taking care of a bunch of people's kids, which was very nice, but I don't I don't remember what we talked about. But like that, you know, but like you all of those things, right, all of those steps from the start of you get five of your friends to go eat dinner and you talk about what you want to do through someone makes a flyer in like Microsoft or whatever you make it in like PowerPoint, and that's publisher what's what's what's the one I'm blinking, I haven't used it in so long, the one you make greeting cards in a program and I've forgotten it is you see this to make Christmas cars. But like, you know, okay, so we made a flyer and we walked around and put the flyers up and we made it. We made an email, you know, we got a space together, we figured out what we wanted to do, and then we did it. Yeah, and you know, and there's a bunch of organizing from there, right, But like we had started a thing, and you can do every single one of those steps. And if you can't personally do one of those steps, you can think of a person who you know, who you can bring in to help you do these things. Because organizing you already fucking know how to do it. Yeah, you just have to go out there and do it.
Speaker 4: Yep, you can have faith. Yeah, and this has been it could happen here, go organize.
Speaker 2: Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 4: It could happen here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeart Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.