Speaker 1: I've got a great book.
Speaker 2: I want to recommend you got to get started reading it, though it's going to take you fifty years.
Speaker 1: It's one more thing, Oh jees more Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: One more thing is it Ulysses? Because I think I've been working on that for nine months and I haven't finished it yet.
Speaker 2: Ulysses is a pamphlet you get at your doctor's office.
Speaker 3: Compared to this book, stay with us. It's a business card. I'm going to talk about this on Tuesday's Armstrong and Getty radio show. I don't think we've ever done a tease in the One More Thing podcast for the radio show, but just came across this. So when they started cracking down on illegals up in Wisconsin where you got a lot of dairy farm stuff like that, a variety of dairy farmers started getting robots and you got one farm now that produces three times more milk per worker now because of the robots they hired doing a bunch of work on the dairy farm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, it's achieved the same thing and artificially hymen them wage. Would I suppose I hope you don't convince his people. Hey, it's worth it to invest in the technology.
Speaker 1: Now, let's do it.
Speaker 3: I gotta hope you don't get your teeth pulled off. Nobody wants that get your ringer?
Speaker 1: Is the old saying used to go?
Speaker 3: Made Katie WinCE enough? Very that would be that would be very painful. In my opinion, Yes, I think so ill. Nobody does laundry anymore with that sort of system where you're actually putting clothes through a ringer to dry them out. We have dryers now, so the chance of getting your breasticle caught in a ringer is.
Speaker 1: Very righted, it's much lower, certainly.
Speaker 2: Apparently back in the day that that saying was popularized, women didn't have enough, like multiple shirts to throw one on during the process of the ringing.
Speaker 3: Good God, that would hurt. Oh was that a regular occurrence? My grandma were so alive. I'd ask her because she had laundry like that regular enough cord question to ask.
Speaker 4: My grandma, Yeah, agreed, any any any I can only imagine it's not probably not as bad as the balls, but I mean any incident with the boob is just not.
Speaker 3: Get your testicles caught in the ringer. You're doing your laundry in a weird way.
Speaker 1: I get more leverage.
Speaker 2: So I find this so interesting and I would love to I am going to dig into this a little more. The article is entitled the Strangest Book in Harvard Library, but it's the strangest book in any library. And this piece was written by Ted Joya, who I love. I'd never heard of the Inmand Diary.
Speaker 3: Jackie, had you ever heard of that?
Speaker 2: You're very literary? He has not, Folks, Katie, the Inmand Diary no, by like how Jack just walked. I've lost interest myself. I feel like.
Speaker 3: I've heard of it, but I don't remember what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I just walked off.
Speaker 2: On the opening page, the book's editor makes a bold claim this work has no counterpart in any literature that I am aware of. The author, Arthur Inman, was obsessed with winning some sort of fame or immortality, but he really had no way to do it. As he himself wrote, the only way for him to win fame, perhaps even immortality, would be to write a diary unlike any ever written. It would contain the kind of information that he had looked for and never found in other diaries, which Joy points out seems like an impossible goal, because there are many, many, dozens, if not hundreds, of diaries from Augustine to Rousseau to whatever, Samuel peeps right, who had famous diaries that are fascinating relics of their time. So what could Arthur Edman do in the twentieth century that hadn't already been done before? Adding to the challenge, Inmann had practically nothing to write about, or so it seemed. He was a semi invalid who spent most of his life in.
Speaker 1: A darkened room.
Speaker 3: Oh geez, even recluses like Proust and Pyncheon are gadabouts by Commerson writes, joy, Wow, he spent his whole life in a darkened room and then kept a diary and I'm supposed to read it.
Speaker 1: Brace yourself.
Speaker 2: Yet, Inman wrote some seventeen million words and filled one hundred and fifty five volumes now housed in Harvard's Houton Library. That's roughly twenty five times as long as the Bible. He devoted forty years to this project from nineteen nineteen, and he continued working on until shortly after his death in nineteen sixty. Before his death, rather, he didn't work on it after his death. Before in nineteen sixty.
Speaker 3: June sixth, nineteen twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Well, sitting in the room again, same dark room I referred to in yesterday's post, And for that matter, the day before you ever wonder about getting your tit and a ringer? Ill, I bought myself a ringer, And as much as I cranked and pressed my chest against anyway, no.
Speaker 3: Weird thing happened got my testicle.
Speaker 1: Cat. I thought I had more leverage.
Speaker 3: I was squatting down to get a good firm footing.
Speaker 1: And well, he'll never guess what happened next.
Speaker 2: Back to the actual diary, here's where it gets crazy. So here's the twist that actually got him the immortality in a way that he was looking for. He took ads in the newspaper offering to hire talkers who would tell him the wildest and most intimate details of their lives. The end result was a diary with more than one thousand characters' striving with one another to provide the most compelling, uncensored, perfectly honest narratives of their lives.
Speaker 3: That is fascinating. There needs to be an abridged version.
Speaker 2: Of this, though, oh yes, please, yes, please, Abridging it would take thirty years. That crowd sourced approach turned the Inmand journals into a compendium of confessions unlike anything ever written down.
Speaker 1: To be sure, so he.
Speaker 2: Paid his talkers, as he called them, a dollar an hour, which you know, depending on when in the project it was, you know, at least enough money to show up, particularly because a lot of these people he talked to were kind of down and outers. He often went beyond listening having sexual relations with some of the women who.
Speaker 1: Took the job.
Speaker 3: What by by any definition, outo.
Speaker 2: And he'd say, you know, he'd have him spill their sexual secrets or whatever. And I'm guessing he'd say, you know, this is kind of getting me horned up, how about you?
Speaker 3: And if they said, yeah, kind of, you know, that's a good line. Yeah, well I don't do it.
Speaker 2: Frank Man inn't them. But by any definition, he was a creepy guy whose behavior violated all reasonable norms, even as editor Daniel Aaron admits that this disturbed individual's massive journal quote is the autobiography of a warped and deeply troubled man whose aberrations call for psychiatric probing.
Speaker 3: That's super interesting. They gotta have ai A bridget, because it would take too long for any human obviously. Oh, you can feed that into AI and have it a bridget somehow and turn it into a you know, a manageable eight hundred pages or something.
Speaker 2: Or you'd have to hire a team of twenty five you know, like grad students in editing or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: He often closed the diaries with the send off, I.
Speaker 1: Wish I were dead. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yet he also saw himself in a heroic light, dreaming of the posthumous fame his massive diary would eventually bring.
Speaker 3: You well, see you tomorrow, wish I was dead.
Speaker 2: His talkers were extraordinarily trusting in handed Perhaps the darkened room in the quasi anonymity of the setting made it feel like an actual confessional. Maybe it's even simpler. People wanted to reveal their darkest secrets and still do as cites somebody sayas, and we'll seek out settings where it can happen. Or perhaps the reality is more banal and tragic. These folks simply needed the cash, and Edmand was the only person paying for their secrets. Sometimes Inman's talkers showed up with stories to tell, but if they were reticent, he would immediately start probing. Here is his account of a first meeting with missus Haviland, never brought back for a second session because she was too quote unquote sweet. I asked her how old she was, how long she'd been married, whether she loved her husband, whether he loved her, whether she loved her son or husband best, why she'd been to the hospital lately, whether she used contraceptives, how much salary your husband made, who her ancestors were, how she budgeted her money, if she believed in God? How many friends she had, What did she look forward to in life? What sort of childhood she'd had? Was she calm or emotional? Did she read like music, the movies?
Speaker 1: And so on?
Speaker 3: Most of her answers I believed some I didn't. Let's see, So is this available anywhere? Is it online or anything?
Speaker 1: That is a good question I can dig into that.
Speaker 2: I don't recall seeing that I read the article, but it was a couple of weeks ago, and I've just been holding on to it.
Speaker 1: He writes.
Speaker 2: I doubt that inmund Diary could still be published by Harvard University Press nowadays. There's just too much in its pages. In its pages rather to upset dismay, shock, and appall. And if you aren't offended by Inman's dealings with his talkers, you will inevitably invariably find his opinions on politics, society, religion, race, and a host of other matters reprehensible in whole.
Speaker 1: Or in part. Well, let me make it clear.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Uh. If you're the kind of person who needs a trigger warning, proceed no further.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, the guy I would read this sort of thing for that sort of stuff, that's what you're looking for, and he says.
Speaker 1: It's a historian.
Speaker 3: It's just absolutely I'm valuable. So I'm looking at h Amazon, number one bookseller in the world, The Inman Diary of Public and Private Conficient Confession by Arthur C. Inman. There all are volumes you can buy The Inmand Diary of Public and Private Confession. Yeah, it's split into two pieces. It looks like from a darkened room, the Inmand Diary.
Speaker 1: Huh. I'll have to look into this more.
Speaker 3: But it's got to be way, way way abridged obviously.
Speaker 2: Right, which is good. But they mentioned he mentions. Inman's talkers didn't seem very interested in self censorship, and many clearly savored the opportunity to tell their raw stories without fear of consequences or judgment. They're a strange assortment. But where else will you find a book written in the nineteen thirties, or on a single page you encounter a first hand account of pimping, prostitution, bootlegging, bribing, drug addiction, homosexuality, rape, illegal gambling, drunkenness, police violence, a stint in bellevue, and even glimmerings of a philosophy of life. The appearance of a skilled musician who tickle the ivories is just an extra. Do you doubt me? Here's an extract from the testimony of Anthony Obruso of age twenty four.
Speaker 1: It's a whole page.
Speaker 3: That's truly interesting. I'm uh, you know, maybe I heard about it last year and I forgot. I'm capable of that, but I'm surprised I didn't know about this, and I'm going to look into it. The volumes that are available, Yeah, I see one here from ninety six.
Speaker 4: It's a bridge down to It's down to five hundred and ninety two pages.
Speaker 3: God taste doable, Wow, seven million words or whatever reason it was, Yeah, making five hundred pages out of it.
Speaker 2: Hit me with a link that link if you would, Katie. I mean, I could replicate your search, but why all right, let me just hit you with one paragraph. I guess from the nineteen thirties. I was making seventeen dollars. This is the piano player. I was making seventeen dollars a week. I hired a room. One day, I decided to find out what women was all about. I knew where the red light district was. He it's a black guy, and he like writes it in the dialect, so I'll just read what's in front of me. I knew where the red light district was, so I went there. I got myself a Southern girl. She showed me what it was all about. I took to it like a fish to water me too.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: She was a country girl to come to New York to make a success. She'd hit the bumps and landed up a prostitute. She was twenty three. She tried waking for a boss, but didn't like it none, so it was on her own. She was a nice baby. She took dope and wanted me to, but I told her no, dice. She didn't make me pay. Three other prostitutes I had did though. Then there was a stenographer. It wasn't a matter of sex with her. I just liked her. Oh yes, there was a housemaid in the Bronx. She didn't cost me nothing. As a matter of fact, I borrowed money from her and never paid it back.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Then he gets into all the rest of it. You know, I'm gonna hit you with one more bit. I became more and more of an inebriate. One night, a taxi hit me. Then I got to see in things. I saw a street car running off the tracks and heading straight for me. I guess I screamed. A cop grabbed me. I socked him.
Speaker 1: He socked me.
Speaker 3: Then he takes me to the psycho pathic ward at Bellevue Hospital.
Speaker 1: What a place.
Speaker 2: I was there for two weeks. They gave me ether and alcohol to cure me. You'd never seen such a place as them. Two wards. Drunks sprawling on the floor on mattresses, drunks trembling and seeing things and having dts and losing up their guts. Guards beating up drunks. Insane men and straight jackets and insane men out of straight jackets, and moaning and hollering and shouting. Honestly, mister mmon, it was the first time in my life that I had ever given thought to my fellow creatures as individuals. Hitherto I had just lived, done no thinking whatsoever. It was also the first time I had ever given my thought to my future.
Speaker 1: Jeez, I did some thinking.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Wow, the inmund Diaries.
Speaker 3: I'll check it out.
Speaker 5: Check it out to tell the story of my dad squatting over a campfire and there were some high pitched yells and well, anyway.
Speaker 3: It's a good story, well short but compelling.
Speaker 5: No, no, I'm not going to tell the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's it. What a cliffhanger is?
Speaker 1: What the hell