Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business Week, insight from the reporters and editors that bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenovek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. A big week for the megacap tech companies and for artificial intelligence as the Chinese AI startup Deepseek up end of the conventional thinking about investment in AI. It all kind of came together as we passed through the earnings of Meta, Microsoft, Tesla, Apple, and Intel, just to name a few from the past week. Our take though on it all well on Harvard Business and law school professors take how the Mac seven companies are eating themselves. He'll be along to explain.
Speaker 4: Plus, speaking of earnings, it's not just about tech, as a lot of other companies posted quarterly updates this past week, giving us snapshots of many parts of the US economy, including a big one from the world of leisure. We're talking about Royal Caribbean, who shares wrote a record wave up following a profit forecast that blew past analyst expectations. The company also shared details about waiting into a new business. Royal Caribbean CEO stop by to talk all about it.
Speaker 3: All of that ahead, let's start with the big megacap tech earnings. As for the Magnificent seven reported results this past week, Meta, Microsoft, Tesla, and Apple all out with their quarterly updates and outlooks, and earlier in the week the narrative shifted around the AI spend thanks to deep seeks. So there was so much going on when it comes to the world of technology.
Speaker 4: Well, look what happened on Monday and vidfl seventeen percent in a single day, at erased five hundred and eighty nine billion dollars in value. It was the biggest single day decline in market cap for any company ever. Me here they saw was watching what happened in the stock market that day closely. He's the Mazuho Financial Group, Professor of Finance at Harvard Business School and a professor at Harvard Law School. He's also contributed to Bloomberg's weekend edition. After the Nvidia selloff, he wrote in The New York Times that the value destruction illustrates something concerning happening in financial markets and can best be explained by an ancient myth of a serpent eating itself.
Speaker 5: What I tried to put forward in this piece was just the theory that actually it's pretty unsustainable and that in effect, big tech is eating its own tail. This serpent image that you might have seen of a snake eating itself has been around for millennia, and I think that's kind of what's going on, which is just a way of saying this AI frenzy has in some sense been manifest by these big seven companies having a very low cost to capital. They've become the safe asset in the world. So if you are around the world you want a dollar denominated asset but with better management teams than maybe governments, better balance sheets than maybe governments, you're going to flock to them. Well what is that mean? Well, if that happens and they become the safe asset, then people don't expect much in terms of return, because that's what happens with safe assets.
Speaker 6: Well, how to.
Speaker 7: Managers respond to that?
Speaker 5: And the answer is you invest a lot. And that's what they've been doing, and they've been investing a lot in each other, and they've been spending like crazy. So, for example, in videos, more than half their revenues is coming from their siblings in the Big seven. So the Amazon Microsoft are spending literally two hundred million dollars a year in infrastructure spend, and they're doing buybacks hand over fist. So they are literally eating themselves and literally eating each other. And the underlying story, I think is going to be that these is going to end.
Speaker 6: Up having low returns.
Speaker 5: So when you end up giving them the prize of being a safe asset, you don't expect much from them, and they invest like crazy and then they deliver slow returns. That's what we are going to see. It won't happen today or tomorrow. It'll happen over the next five or ten years, like it happened at the beginning of the last century with railroads and steel. I think that is why it wasn't that big of surprise.
Speaker 3: I want you to take a limited to this. And one of the things that we love looking at here at Bloomberg is that the supply chain functions. You pull up something like Nvidia, and so Microsoft is responsible for about nineteen percent of their revenue. Meta is about ten percent according to our latest data, super Micro about eight percent, Alphabet Google about six percent, Amazon about five percent, Dell about three percent. Like, we love to kind of get an idea of who's who's buying and so the exposure, especially if we get bad news from them, what it means for an Nvidia. So you're saying, what to concentrated or what's what's your point about? You know that they're kind of it's like there's almost closed.
Speaker 5: Circles right rid of a closed circle.
Speaker 3: And they all are kind of like supporting one another.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I mean effectively, what's happening is they're investing in spending money on each other and that closed circle.
Speaker 3: Why are they doing that? Because some would say that what we've seen over the last couple of years is that everybody has all of a sudden realized, oh my god, look at what Generator of AI can do. And so we have to build out our own.
Speaker 7: Systems exactly right.
Speaker 5: And the promise is that it is not a close circle, that one day it'll all be manifest to us what those revenues and profits are. And that is a huge bet. We are all levered to the mag seven in a way that I don't think we understand when one third of the market cap is mag seven, we're levered to it, and the global economy is levered to it, and all of that is going to be a function of the productivity of all this capital they're spending on each other.
Speaker 7: And what I tried.
Speaker 5: To raise in that article is it's not clear that that is going to be manifest and in fact, deep seek I think people misunderstood the Deep Seak lesson.
Speaker 4: In part.
Speaker 5: The story about Deep Seak is it is very hard to create a competitive advantage in this industry. You know, people think there's a lot of money to be made. Well, to make a lot of money, you need to be able to capture the rents. And what Deep Seak showed is that it's not clear that these rents are easily captured. And so if it's easily accessible to everyone, that doesn't mean it's not going to be transformational, Carol.
Speaker 6: What it means is.
Speaker 3: Because some would say that if it's more accessible, more people can tap into it, and first people who are supportive of it, like hence the software guys, right we all of a sudden said they were often running.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it could be transformational, but will a company be able to capture it?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 5: Right, So the whole premise of their market capitalizations is there's going to be seven big winners and we know who they are. It's those seven companies. And maybe that's not right even if it is transformational. If it isn't transformational, then we're all really in trouble because they're literally deploying capital at really really low rates of return, maybe negative rates of return.
Speaker 4: Your question about a mode or differentiation is an interesting one. It came up yesterday during our conversation with Caroline Hide oft Bloomberg Technology about what the difference is between Gemini, a GPT, LAMA, you know, anthropics, Claude, What is the difference between these Apart from the way they look that question, I think still a lot of investors in the private markets and the public markets are asking themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And one theory is that it's about scale. You have to get big and you have to get big fast. And the answer is maybe deep seek suggests maybe not. And also we should just remember that having access to a lot of capital and spending it is not a competitive advantage. That is not what a competit advantages. Capital is not like the scarce resource in the world, and so.
Speaker 3: Especially for some of these big tech companies, right, Like we talk about their balance sheets, and typically you would say a higher rate environment would bother them, but they have so much cash that they don't have to really tap into the capital markets.
Speaker 5: So so, but I think they're in a race, right, So they're spending cash hand over fist and the answers will weep. But if you don't have a sustainable advantage, then what is this race about? And I don't think there is a real mode there, and then you really have to question the whole story.
Speaker 4: So I think it raises a lot of questions about where investors should be putting their money in the public market. You know, we've been talking. We talk a lot about single stocks in retirement portfolios. A lot of people are invested in indexes. If you're not playing the stock market. All the experts say, hey, just invest in the S and P five hundred index funds. What happens though, when the S and P five hundred exactly is dominated by these companies, where should people put their money?
Speaker 5: Well, that's exactly right, because the unique circumstance is that you know, I talk about the unmagnificent four ninety three, because there's a magnificent seven and there's an unmagnifics in four ninety three. And the answer is that is still the best advice. However, I think it's a good time to rethink certain things. So, for example, as you know, we are living in the twentieth year of the value growth split, where growth has just outperformed value forever, and I think it's a good occasion to revisit that. And for those of you who are listening who want to bebb still.
Speaker 7: I just want to index.
Speaker 6: I just want to do that.
Speaker 5: Well, you want to think about broader indsease, you want to think about value in disease, and you want to think about whether that whole mantra that has been good for the last twenty years is good again, especially as rates stay relatively speaking high in a way they haven't been for fifteen twenty years.
Speaker 4: Although one challenge, though someone might push back and say, well VTI, which is the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index, is pretty heavily correlated to the S and P five hundred. That is true, and that's a challenge. If you want to buy the entire market, you're still just buying that's a company.
Speaker 7: That is true.
Speaker 5: I mean in a way that is a little bit of a point of the piece, which is we are all levered to the max seven in a way that we can't get away. I think the answer is though there are narrower, you know, value indices that can help you, and there are international ways to go. So I am not a huge believer in stock pickers, so I think indices are fantastic. But there are other kinds of indices. There's non us in disease, there's yield, there's fixing. Right, there's lots of things that we for the last fifteen years have forgotten about. My previous piece was about magical thinking and how kind of long periods of low rates have infected people to think like this goes on forever, and growth the stuff happens forever, and technology solves everything. And so look when rates get back up where they are, you've got to think hard in your portfolio about fixting, come in away and cash in a way that you haven't thought about it in a long time.
Speaker 3: All right, So, professor Veisi, so how does this potentially end? You know, people have made the comparisons to the tech bubble of nineteen ninety nine, two thousand. I don't know that it's the exact same thing, but you tell me that in terms of then how does this ultimately work its way out or do these companies possibly ultimately deliver if AI is at transformative as we think it might be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I think the analogy to the dot com bubble isn't that great in some ways because those a lot of those companies were not real companies and it was.
Speaker 4: All a little sketchy.
Speaker 5: Exactly, these are real companies, like this is these are really the best companies in the world, Okay, And so what's more likely to be true is something like the nifty to fifty going to the early seventies or the early part of last century, which is railroads and steel. And what does that tell you? It's a grind. It's not a pop of a bubble. It's like five years of like zero of like zero returns, right.
Speaker 4: So it's grind.
Speaker 3: So five years of this stuff just kind of going sideways.
Speaker 5: Yeahhaps like sideways, right, because it's not is it?
Speaker 3: Because the build takes so long, The build.
Speaker 5: Takes a lot, and then we realize that the returns aren't there. Right, and for us to realize that and understand that, I mean, these folks are spending hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars.
Speaker 7: We won't really.
Speaker 5: Know the productivity of that capital spent for a long time, and that's why it takes longer. And they're not like fly by night folks, right, people, And so it's going to take years and that. I don't know if that's good news or bad news, Carol, but I think that is the right way to understand it. It's it's three to five years of a grind, which also helps you understand why valuation levels are high right now and how they come back down, just very slowly and in a very boring, unexciting way.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because we saw in the president's first week of his term an announcement where he was flanked by Larry Ellison of Oracle Pasco Shei's son of SoftBank, Sam Altman of Open Ai, and he was tatting a one hundred billion dollar up to five hundred billion dollar investment. Yeah, is that something that concerns you when we're talking about figures of that size, Well.
Speaker 5: What would concern me is if capital you know, this is all about capital allocation, like everything is in the economy, and so if capital allocation is going to be guided by political litmus tests, which is, you got to spend one hundred billion, and if you're not good for the hundred billion, you know, we're not sure if you're a real deal.
Speaker 6: If it becomes a political test and it's not.
Speaker 5: Being guided by the tenants of capital allocation, we're all going to suffer on that over the long run. So that's what concerns me. It's about whether this is becoming a political litmus test, like are you with us on AI or not? And then of course, as you know, CEOs had to respond, which you know, I'm good for one hundred billion, yeah, which now starts to feel like a poker match as opposed to fought full capital allocation and feels a little bit like a political litmus test.
Speaker 4: Me here they Sai Mizuoo, Financial Group professor of finance at Harvard Business School and a professor of law at Harvard Law School. Also he's contributed in the past to Bloomberg's Weekend edition.
Speaker 3: And be sure to check out all of our conversations breaking down the major earnings from four of the Magnificent Seven this past week, so from Meta, Microsoft, Apple, Tesla. We talked about it a lot. They can all be found on our podcast feed. Just head over to Bloomberg dot com. Slash podcasts coming up. We stay on earnings and on the stock that Road and investor Wave hire this past week following stellar quarterly results.
Speaker 4: Well Caribbean CEO on the quarter and what's next. You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: It was a big week for earnings overall among those reporting. Royal Caribbean shares of the cruise line company hit a record this past week, up the most in more than two years, lifting the whole cruise group after it reported a full year profit forecast that blue past expectations as cruise demand continues to ramp up.
Speaker 4: Royal Caribbean also talking about a new area of the cruising industry that it's setting sale for. We got more on the outlook and what's driving the business with President and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group, Jason Liberty. He joined us from Miami.
Speaker 6: Certainly, we have a lot of great demographics on our side in terms of more millennials coming into this space, multi generational travel, a lot of active wealth transfer, and we see that more and more, which has been a surprise to me, just how much multi generational travel where you have the patriarch or matriarch of the family paying And I think that's been a little bit of a surprise. And there's also been just a continued flight to quality. We've invested so much in our ships and our brands and our destinations for so many decades. We're really now seeing these flowers bloom as we see consumers who are very healthy, you know, they have great balance sheets, they have great jobs, and they're high paying jobs. Having this flight to quality for our brands and for our destinations.
Speaker 4: When you talk about that flight to quality, break that down for us, where there's strength in the business and where you're seeing particular strength and if there are any areas where you're not seeing strength.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well we're really we are actually seeing strength in all markets that we source from. We're also seeing strength for all the different places that our ships go, whether that's in the Caribbean, Alaska, the Northeast, Europe, Australia, Southeast Asia, China. We're seeing strong demand kind of across the board, which is I think really great. We're also, you know, seeing again elevated spend on our ships, and that's really across the board. A lot of it is in the gaming, the beverage area, on the culinary side, SPA, shore excursions. So people are really looking to make sure that they grab the experiences that they want to have and there and there, and and they're and they're willing to not only pay a little bit more money for that, but they're also willing to have more repetition of that, and that's how they're expanding the memories that they're building with their friends and family.
Speaker 3: How much is that wrapping up, Jason, That is something that I've seen throughout the cruise industry that it's not just about buying the ticket to get you on the ship, but it's about what you do once you're on the ship and possibly go off to other destinations. Those bookings, right that add to the experience, but they also add to your revenue line right in your profit line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's exactly right. One. I think that we we've gotten a lot better, whether it's you know, through AI or other other disruptive tech to really take friction out of the experience of shopping with us, whether that's on the ticket side, whether that's also on the on board side. And what we're doing is we're able to enhance the experience so they can do all the different things that they want to do. And in reality, while it's still very frustrating to me, while we're increasing share of wallet, we're still a very significant discounts to land based vacation. And so for us, like we focus a little bit less on what's happening with our cruise competitors, we're trying to take a larger share of the two trillion dollar marketplace and travel leisure, and for us, having the experiences that our guests want to do and also being able to make it easier for them to shop with us is winning for us.
Speaker 4: The pace of bookings this year relative to last year, what does that tell you about demand where we're you know, when we're a little over a month past what is referred to in the industry as wave season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, the past couple of years. You know, wave has been elevated not just for us, but also for the entire industry, and we're seeing we're continue to see those waters rise here on the on the Wave season. So we're seeing record booking weeks, We're seeing elevated pricing, and we're seeing a consumer that is not only willing to pay a little bit more money for their vacation experience, but they're also looking to book further out. So the booking window is continuing to extend, and they're also doing more and more pre cruise booking activities for the activities that happen on the ship and off the ship to make sure they get the vacation experience that them and their family and friends want to have.
Speaker 3: Are you surprised by it? You've been doing this a while, Like, are you surprised by the pace of demand?
Speaker 6: Well, I have been doing this. I mean I've been in the sea for a little over three years, and of course I was the CFO before that, so I've been in the industry a while. Certainly you're seeing an elevated demand for experiences. So clearly, coming out of COVID you've seen a few different changes in behavior one of which is very comfortable booking and interacting through technology, so we're able to take friction out of that experience. But you're also seeing just a trade by a lot less stuff. We want to buy experiences. We really appreciate the time with our friends and family, and we want to make sure that time that we have is one that is not only exceptional, but it's also with somebody who we trust will deliver that for us. And I think we have that trust. We value that trust with our customers each and every day.
Speaker 3: All Right, we want to talk a bit more about the business. But you know, Jason, we've been asking everybody who comes on a CEO or anybody who runs an institution, a company, an organization, the dynamics and the backdrop anything that could be impacted by policies out of the Trump administration, anything coming out of government. And I think about you know, we've talked about various policies that could lead to inflation, tariffs, you know, on possible goods that could increase costs, immigration, the impact on the labor force. So I'm just curious. You guys are floating cities, your massive ships, so you you know, the dynamics of kind of the economy of the UCC want to me certainly impact you. So I'm just curious anything in particular that could come out of d see that you're watching very closely.
Speaker 6: Well, look, I think we're we as we always have. We're gonna work very closely with the administration. But I think I think you know, what we're looking for is a healthy and happy consumer. And I think as long as the consumer has confidence and their spending and and and of course they seek great vacation experiences, which we think they're going to do, I think we feel very bullish about the future spending behavior of our customers. The other point that I would just add, which I think also brings us great comfort on whether if if costs do rise in some form or fashion or there is inflation, is that point I made earlier that there is a significant gap to land based vacation. There's a lot of value for the consumer and in our different vacation products, and that's a good hedge for us if there is any any any type of change in the winds.
Speaker 4: How are you guys doing it? Can only costs right now, specifically when it comes to labor, are you are you getting all the employees you need and where are you getting them from?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, most of our our employee base our international crew. So we're not really that impacted by rises on the wage side, you know, shore side certainly like every other company, you know, there's there's inflationary pressures that can impact your wages. For our shore side and our corporate offices and so forth, we actually are Our cost guide for this year was for us to be flat to up one percent, and we've been able to do that by really managing our supply chain, leveraging the scale as our business grows, and having a team that wakes up every day and says, how do we do it better? And and doing all that and making sure we're enhancing the guest experience and we're not cutting the guest experience because we feel that it's it's you know, it's important for us to live up to our marketing and our reputation each and every day.
Speaker 3: Jason, Could any of that supply chain be impacted by tariffs?
Speaker 6: I don't think so, you know, because we source a lot of the things that we source are are are really from here here in the US. We're not really expecting any any any tariff impact but you know, we're watching it just like we're watching other things on more more in terms of how it would impact our customer le's so, how it's going to impact our cost space?
Speaker 4: What about when it does come to that international labor pool? Are there concerns about a crackdown on immigration affecting the way that employees on your ships are able to be on your ships when they're docked in the US. How do you handle that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, it's obviously something that we're that we're always looking into, but I don't think that's a very high risk. And we know we're an international maritime organization. Our crew are international maritime. They're really focused on being on the ships. So you know, obviously we watch it and we try to manage it, but we don't see that as a high risk in terms of any policies that can come forward there.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, we want to talk about you guys getting into the river cruise market before we do so. So you talked though a lot about destinations and experiences for those who get on ships. You guys have had great success with Cococae private island destination that's in the Bahamas specifically. How could perfect day Mexico, which is another such destination kind of drive some of that on board spending that you were talking about a little bit earlier and ticket prices when it opens in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I would say a few things about the destination experience. So you take as you gave an example of Perfect Day of Coco Ka, which by the way, is the highest rated, has the highest and promoter score of any other destination we go to in the world, because we do an exceptional job of delivering thrill and delivering chill, but we're not able to deliver that experience to all guests, all guests in the Caribbean, and so Perfect Day Mexico will allow us to not only ensure that every especially on our Royal brand, as at least one perfect day when they're in the Caribbean, but it's also going to expand the catchment area of areas like tech Exists and West of the Mississippi, which will have an easier way to get to places like Galveston where they can go in and have a perfect day. We're also adding oryal beach clubs, which will also expand the experience in places like Nasa Bahamas, and also and cause them out. So what we're trying to do is again continue to enhance the experience offering. We see ourselves as an experience organization with really a vision of you know, what we've always been done great is delivering delivering the best vacations in the world, and we want to be able to deliver a lifetime of those vacations over somebody's life.
Speaker 3: And I just want to make sure I heard correctly. But in terms of Perfect Day Mexico specifically driving on board spending and ticket ticket prices when it opened, can you give us any kind of color on that or specificity.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you know. I think one of the surprises when we when we open Perfect Day at Coco Ka is not only do we get high demand to go to the island and people were willing to pay for things like water park to overwater cabanas, but we also saw ships that touch Perfect Day of Mexico got elevated pricing, and so we expect that's going to be the same thing here is when you deliver the destination and the experience mark, guests are willing to pay for that, and that's what we expect to occur in Mexico. It's also what we expect to occur with our Royal beach clubs as well as as we'll you know, we'll deliver an experience that's far superior to what is currently being offered in those in those different destinations.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say I'd like some thrill and chill right now, because I'm tired of cold New York.
Speaker 4: I'm just going to put that out there, all right, sign up, Carol. Speaking of.
Speaker 6: Available available, you know, I would say it's available and I'm happy. I'm happy to help you book a cruise.
Speaker 4: Well, let's let's talk about what's going on in the river cruise market. I mean, my in laws are back from a river cruise this fall, my sister's back from river cruise, both of those with different companies in Europe. Now, you guys are getting in through the celebrity business. Why now?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Well why now is? You know we've been seeing for some time, you know, a growing trend with our guests that they're looking for addition vacations, not a substitute for going on a cruise, but additional vacations. And when we look at what are those additional vacations that they're going on, one of the things that we've seen Arizon is on the river side. And so as we again seek to deliver a lifetime of vacations and we want to leverage, you know, all the having a single loyalty program, great reciprocity across our different brands. We're enhancing the flywheel and we're investing in that flywheel so that we can get more reps out of our guests. And so we had to listen to what our guests are looking to do, and we have to be focused on how do we keep our customer in our ecosystem. And one of the ways of doing that is expanding the offering. And we think River is you know, it's it's similar, it's sowing, not exactly the same as an ocean cruise, and we think we can elevate that vacation experience significantly, not just on the ship in itself, but also on land.
Speaker 4: That was Jason Liberty, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group.
Speaker 3: Still ahead on Bloomberg Business Week, how to add as much as one tree dollars to the global economy by twenty forty.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty, Carol.
Speaker 4: When we talk about the gender gap, we're often talking about gaps in education, or political participation or salary, right, but there's also a pronounced gender gap when it comes to healthcare. I confess I had no idea about this until I started researching our next guest.
Speaker 3: I mean, share these numbers.
Speaker 4: Okay, big, Okay. Well, Mackenzie says that closing this gap could add as much as a trillion dollars to the economy by twenty forty, but perhaps more importantly, it could add five hundred healthy days to a woman's life over her lifetime.
Speaker 3: All right, that seems like a really good thing. Carole Lee is working to close that gap. She's founder and chief executive officer of WHAM, which stands for Women's Health Access Matters. It's a nonprofit that encourages research and investment in women's health, as well as works to, in the organization's words, quote, eliminate the inequities and bias in research and enterprise. She joins us right now from Greenwich, Connecticut. Caroly, it's great to have you here with us. Just paint the picture. I have heard anecdotally for many women, young, older, where they do walk in to a doctor and say something and they're very much dismissed. But tell us about this poor healthcare or poorer healthcare that women are dealing with versus men.
Speaker 8: Sure, well, first of all, thank you, delighted to be with you. So let's just frame the picture a little bit. Women are fifty one percent of the population, same about in the workforce. They make eighty five percent of the spending decisions in eighty percent of the health care decisions. Okay, so first of all, let's start with it. We're not a niche market. And then you have to really look at, you know, where we're lacking and if our first reports which came out four years ago that we did with the RAND Corporation showed how little money is invested in women's health research. In fact, NIH invests less than four percent, for example, in heart disease, when it's the number one killer of heart disease. So there are tremendous disparities between the incidents and the burden of disease and the amount of money is invested, whether in research or in business.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you why that happens when it comes to research in women's health. Why does that lag?
Speaker 8: There's a lot of answers to that.
Speaker 3: Is it just biasness? Is it men in charge making the decision about where the men is, where the money is spent? What is it?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I think for many years, unfortunately there was bias intended and unintended, and it just grew into the system. And in many situations, women are not at the table and we as frequently or is in the kinds of position and says they should be. And we know that these kinds of inequities don't create or generate the same kind of results when you have sex differences in the room and you need to have men and women in the room and making these decisions.
Speaker 4: So let's talk a little bit about how to solve this and what you are doing over at WHAM, who you're partnering with, who's getting involved, How is this a problem that gets solved?
Speaker 8: So it's not going to be easy to solve, but the first thing is to create greater awareness. So for example, I just spoke at several different in several different instances in delivering the findings from our new WHAM report out at the JP Morgan Health Conference, and that's important for a lot of reasons. One is the report itself, which is available online obviously at our website whamnow dot org. It really paints the picture of what every investor should know. And part of what we're trying to do now is change the investment community. Our first reports did show how to change the research community and and investment by showing that in for disease areas and I mentioned heart disease is one. In for disease areas that would affect a woman in her lifetime, a three hundred and fifty million dollar investment, which is what NIH had allocated to those for disease areas, would have yielded a return, if just increased by a small percent, would have yielded an economic return of fourteen into the economy.
Speaker 3: Is that economic return? You know, we're into economic statistics and so and so for that A you're just saying that healthier women are much more productive in terms of economic output.
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 3: Is it as simplistic as that?
Speaker 8: Okay, that's part of it, and it's also obviously taking care of their families. All the different costs that are involved in either treating a disease and or treating being out of work because of inadequate care or because of diseases that make you not be able to stay in the office, such as menopause. It's not even a disease, it's a condition, but the numbers of hours that are lost both to the women in terms of her earnings and to the company are extensive. So I think one of the first things that we have to realize is that one of the things we need to do is not just think of women's health as reproductive health. And so what we've done is try to redefine women's health to be exclusively, disproportionately, or differently. And that is an NIH definition, by the way, because exclusively means things like, let's say, more gynocological issues like menopause are varying. Cancer disproportionately is autoimmune diseases where women are eighty percent of the people have autoimmune How about Alzheimer's where we're two thirds of the population and twice is likely to have Alzheimer's. And guess what we don't have the research to show us why. So if we don't have the research, then you can't even begin.
Speaker 3: Because we live longer, don't we still live longer?
Speaker 4: Women?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, Why is my life insurance more expensive than my wife's? They told me he sold me my wife's cheaper because she's lived longer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's not I think that's not true. But it's a great question. I'm not I'm not qualified to answer that one, but all good questions. I mean, women live on average five to six years longer and in poor health. We know that, and with the inadequate finances.
Speaker 3: So we do live. We do live longer, but in poor health is what you're saying.
Speaker 8: Correct, that's exactly right. Okay, close us more and we don't have the money.
Speaker 4: There's a really interesting Oh sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 8: Well I'll just finish the exclusively disproportionately and differently. The two areas and the two conditions that affect women differently are cardiovascular disease and lung cancer. For example, where cardiovascular disease, to your point, Carol, women are go to the emergency room with chest pain and all kinds of issues, indigestion, shoulder pain, and in many instances, they're given an anti depressant, they're told that they're having anxiety, and they're sent home and they dropped out of a heart attack. Why is that?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Why is that? Yeah? I mean, well, because because because first of all, because this is women experience some diseases such as cardiovasculogies differently, not all emergency rooms and not all medical practices or that familiar with these differences. And often if they are, they'll misdiagnose it, which is very unfortunate. But but some of the symptoms are you know, they could be anxiety, but women are not often given the same tests as quickly as a man is.
Speaker 3: All right, so listen those that are heading up medical institutions hospitals. You have a quote in the in the study from Michael Dowling, Presidency of Northwell Health Health. He has been on our air several times. The quote is women's health needs innovation and creativity. It needs everybody to look at it in a new way. I have heard from doctors that such a big part of their job is also thinking about money and kind of getting donors to donate money that goes into R and D and so on and so forth. So how do we you know, I'm thinking about these of institutions. If they are aware of this, why aren't we making sure that R and D money gets allocated to more women's health issues.
Speaker 8: Well, it is happening slowly, but the problem is this word slowly. In other words, there is more money flowing, and over the past five years has been a significant amount of money. And I think between twenty eighteen and twenty twenty three, the women's health gap grew by three hundred percent. So the amount of research that is being done is growing, it's just not growing at a fast enough rate, and it's not significant enough. And that's a problem, There's no question about it. And I think part of it is the lack of understanding. So, for example, even women's health is such a high growth opportunity. You are focused on economics and opportunity. Five percent of the conditions that impact a woman in her life are exclusive to women, the other ninety five percent or not. So I think about that.
Speaker 3: You're saying, like, in terms of investment dollarsmpanies that are addressing some of these issues, why is it maybe more going into it? Is that kind of the question.
Speaker 8: Ninety five percent of the market is still on tap.
Speaker 4: Leave me a mass some opportunity because you know, you have some of the companies that are listed in your report really really interesting companies that we've had on our air. Maven and kind Body are a couple of those companies that cater to women exclusively, that have raised money in the past few years from private investors. Other companies including Aura. We've spoken to that CEO in the past couple of months. You argue that they treat women differently. Will we see more capital flow to startups because you think it is such an untapped opportunity.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think so. I mean, this is the point of the report is to lay out the groundwork that says this is a market that's ready for growth. So investments in women's health grew by about three hundred percent, as I said, between twenty eighteen and twenty and twenty three. So that's a huge opportunity when you think that only two percent of healthcare VC funding was allocated to women's health, really two percent, one percent of the population. Ten percent. Yeah, it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: It's amazing and I feel like we have had this conversation a few times over the last couple of years, So it's disturbing this in depth, extensive research that you've done to find that we still have a long way to go.
Speaker 4: Our thanks to Caro Lee Lee, founder in the CEO of WHAM. It stands for Women's Health Access Matters.
Speaker 3: All right, And you can catch the full interview if you missed any of it on our podcast feed. Hey, you know what's interesting, uh, women's health? Health care in general, I feel like comes up a lot in our conversations with a lot of investment experts. We know some of the reasons, the long term catalysts, changing demographics, aging demographics, you know, these are things that play into why healthcare could be a good investment play. And what's interesting on that Our own Susanne Wooey of Bloomberg News, she covers wealth and investing. She had a story out this past week about how to invest ten thousand dollars right now, and the health and healthcare area came up.
Speaker 4: I love these stories. They do these periododically at a Bloomberg and it talks about different areas of the market to consider one of those and they interview folks all around the industry. Russ Costerrech one of those Folks, portfolio manager over at Blackrocks Global Allocation Fund. He recommends finding cheap growth stocks, which he says are healthcare stocks because last year there was a gain of more than twenty percent in the market, healthcare stocks Carol barely eked out a low single digit return. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Longer term relative performance looks even worse. On a five year timeframe, the sector's total return is roughly thirty five percent, approximately half of the seventy percent gain for the MSCI World Index. So, given years of underperformance, healthcare has become a market anomaly, a cheap growth sectors. That's kind of interesting, right, So there's growth going on and you're looking at valuation and it's inexpensive for that growth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you said. The discount appears even more interesting given the solid earnings outlook, because analysts expect earnings growth of roughly seventeen percent, second only to tech stock.
Speaker 3: So, Tim, you mentioned earnings in the healthcare sector. Earnings are expected to benefit from continued growth in blockbuster drugs. According to JP Morgan, between twenty twenty two and twenty thirty, the market for a BC drugs alone expected to grow at a compound annual rate of more than fifty percent. That's another theme we've talked.
Speaker 4: About a lot remarkable.
Speaker 3: And that wraps up the first hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio Ahead. In our next hour, how about some red sauce. Everyone, It is big business. We hear about that from the CEO of Carbone Fine Foods.
Speaker 4: Plus, how about a little red wine to go with your dinner. The founder and CEO of Nomadica Wines stops by.
Speaker 1: So one of the beautiful things about our brand, our name is kind of a double entendre, Nomadica. You can take it wherever you want to go, and we have a normadic sourcing style. So my job, I guess I'll get into my background a little bit and then I can talk about our vineyards. If that's okay with you, Yes h, I amazing. I spent a decade plus as a somolier in Michelin restaurant.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Business Week. I'm Carol Masser.
Speaker 4: And I'm Tim Stenovec. Stay with us. Today's top stories in global business headlines are coming up right now.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Plenty ahead in our second hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, including Carbone. You know they're sought after restaurants and the March, and you probably know their sauces, which you now can serve at home. The CEO of Carbone find Food stops by to chat the business and unfortunately, I don't know how this happened, Tim, but we did not share a bowl of pasta.
Speaker 4: I don't know how it travels on the plane because he had just flown in and he was about to fly out too.
Speaker 3: We have people who take care of that too.
Speaker 4: We could have done this, okay. I would have made a mess, but that would have been okay. We did, however, sample some wine recently which might pair well with a bowl of pasta or something else. It's wines that focus on being sustainable and without quarks. That's what Nomadica Wines is up to. We check in with the founder and CEO of the company, and later on.
Speaker 3: The Transparent TV the Cartier Necklace, the ice baths, how to spend your year in Bonus.
Speaker 4: First up this hour. When you think though of how to get wine, you probably think of the classic wine bottle and the cork. Kristin Olsski wants to change that. She's a founder and CEO of Nomadica Wines. It distributes its wines not in bottles, but in cans, boxes and kegs. She joined us from Malibu a little over a week ago, and we wanted to ask her about how she and her community in the LA area. We're doing after weeks of those devastating wildfires.
Speaker 1: Longtime admirer and big fans, this is exciting and a bright spy as Unfortunately I'm calling in from Palm Springs as our house burned down.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: Oh it's you know, I think it's a really insane time to live in Los Angeles because everyone I know knows a dozen people who lost their homes minimum, never mind all the businesses and everything.
Speaker 7: It's tough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's absolutely devastating. And our hearts are with.
Speaker 3: You, and we had no idea, we weren't sure actually your status and yeah, I can't even mind. How long can I ask you or can we ask you? How long you've lived in the area.
Speaker 1: So I've lived in Los Angeles for almost ten years, and a year and a half ago, my husband and I moved to Malibu. He grew up in southern California as a surfer. We both always wanted to live by the beach. It was kind of our dream and we found the perfect rental. And you know, I do have to say, I'm so grateful that we got to live there for.
Speaker 8: The time we did.
Speaker 1: It's such a special, peaceful, beautiful community that will be forever changed moving forward, and I just I enjoyed it every moment.
Speaker 3: I lived there.
Speaker 4: Do you think you'll go back?
Speaker 8: Probably not now.
Speaker 1: I don't think I can ever live in a wildfire area again after that.
Speaker 4: Does that mean leaving California?
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not, especially because we are a California wine company, and so in Los Angeles is my home, it's my community. I think it's one of the most innovative and interesting wine scenes in the US right now, and I very much want to remain an integral part of building that. But we're going to live probably in the middle of Los Angeles where it's a little bit safer.
Speaker 4: So let's talk a little bit about the wine that you mentioned, you do get some of the wine from. You do get the wine from all over California. Where are the vineyards that you source the wine from.
Speaker 1: So one of the beautiful things about our brand, our name is kind of a double entendre Nomadica. You can take it wherever you want to go, and we have a normadic sourcing style. So my job, I guess I'll get into my background a little bit and then I can talk about our vineyards, if that's okay with you, Yes, amazing. I spent a decade plus as a somolier in Michelin restaurants, so running and working in some of the best wine programs in the country, tasting the best wines in the world, typically talking to a you know, forty five plus wine collector. And when I was working for Nancy Silverton at Austria Motza in Los Angeles, she was on a Netflix show called Chef's Table and it entirely changed the demographic of who's coming. In the first time in my life, I was talking to people my own age and they did not want to drink wine.
Speaker 4: What did they want to drink?
Speaker 8: Anything but wine?
Speaker 1: Basically, so beer, sodala like anything but wine.
Speaker 4: So you said, I'm gonna make wine because nobody wants to drink it.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well, I started talking. I was like, why don't you want to drink wine? It's the most ancient beverage. Nothing uplifts and enhances a meal like wine, and there's something beautiful about sharing wine with your dining partner.
Speaker 3: I totally agree. It's one of my favorite things is sitting down to a great meal and having wine. I have a twenty one year old too, who it does feel like they are just like all these mixed cocktails, but she is learning to and has appreciated and appreciates, excuse me, a great glass of wine, and it's really fun to kind of see that with her and share it with her.
Speaker 1: You're doing God's work making her pallets there.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, tell us about the work that you guys are doing, because I am curious about kind of you know. First of all, we have the cans with us you shared with our producer Paul Brennan, and we've got a bunch of them. They're really beautiful cans, but I also care about what's in them. So tell us about, you know, the vineyards you're working with, how you're making it, how you think about what's inside the can.
Speaker 1: So when I was talking to these young people, I started realizing why they weren't drinking wine.
Speaker 8: Which few factors. People believe that.
Speaker 1: Great wine needs to be expensive, which it doesn't. There was a lot of knowledge which people were intimidated. A lot of consumers.
Speaker 3: Feel like they need a PhD.
Speaker 8: In order to enjoy.
Speaker 1: Wine, and there's a lot of misinformation about one out there. So I wanted to be kind of a soumelier to the masses and curate and select styles of wine that would be, you know, appealing to a wide range of audiences, bring the younger consumer back, and also make it really easy to choose high quality wines. So I brought on famed, amazing winemaker Kent Humphrey and Corey Alberry, who's our current director of operations in winemaking. Ken Humphrey ran Eric Ken Sellers makes award winning pino and no orange chardonay up in Sonoma, and Corey has spent time over over a decade running some of California's best vineyards and also spent some time at Costa Brown.
Speaker 3: So I feel fame, I'm going to actually open up one of the and often like when we have somebody on from a vineyard, or you know, it's a cork we're pulling out, but it is a flap top top can crowd, which I have to say, for those of us who are doing different things on weekends, there's times I don't want to have to open up a bottle or something that I am increasingly popping open a can.
Speaker 4: I will tell you. I will tell you. I saw a bunch of these on our producer Paul Brennan's desk, and a couple hours before our show, I heard that noise. I turned around, said Paul, it's too early. It's too early to be opening these things. He didn't do it, he was.
Speaker 8: Opening something else, lunch wine.
Speaker 3: All right, so tell us I'm opening up the red and I'm giving it ah Tim and I so tell me what I've got here.
Speaker 4: It's a blend.
Speaker 3: The're Nomadica. It's a blend, right, it's a blend.
Speaker 1: So we source again from all over California, but primarily from Mendocino, Sonoma and lod Eye. Those are areas that we find off the bean path, grapes that deliver high quality without the price tag. So what you're drinking is one of my favorite wines that we do. It's primarily a grape call toldego, So cut my teeth. In Italian wine, that's where my passion and heart lies. And I was so excited to find one of my favorite Italian alpine varieties growing in lod Eye and so it's predominantly it's about ninety percent torold Togo with a little Merlot and Marlbeck mixed in separately, fermented and then blended. The Toroaldago is aged for nine months in neutral oak because Toroaldago is a slightly tannic variety and we want to be poppy, crispy, crunchy, have all those alpine herbs, lots of bright red fruit, but still a little mellow. Sometimes tannin can be aggressive out of a can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was, Can I just say, Kristin, there was a little bit of like bubbly, like a little bit of once I poured it, So what is that?
Speaker 1: So that is just because we are not using any so two in our ends.
Speaker 8: Note you don't need sulfur.
Speaker 1: I'm not a sulfur puris as a so yeah, I know that's a little divisive within the wine.
Speaker 8: Community right now.
Speaker 1: I don't mind a little sulfur in my wines, but you don't need it in the can. But that's just the canning process and it'll blow off in the glass.
Speaker 4: Hey, Kristin, we've had some wine folks on over the past few months and they've told us about challenges in the industry, with wine sales going down over the last couple of years by some measures. What are you seeing?
Speaker 1: Nomadica is growing rapidly this year. We're on track to double our business.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: And last year we grew the business twenty percent in a very difficult year.
Speaker 4: That's amazing. How do you attribute that? I mean, are you small because you're starting from a smaller space, You're increasing distribution, You're offering something that's not necessarily out there.
Speaker 1: We were the first people to do fine wine in can We were the first to go to market with a nationally distributed orange wine, first to go to market with a nationally distributed fine wine in a box. I think early mover advantage. And you know, I'm a millennial. I saw the writing on the wall for the wine industry, and so we are really trying to be a force of change and showing people that wine isn't dying. People are just drinking it in a different way.
Speaker 4: There's oh well, So, speaking of drinking in a different way, I'm a big fan of non alcoholic spirits and I noticed that you guys have teamed up with Proxies to create a non alcoholic bubbly white. How'd you do this?
Speaker 1: So I've loved Proxies for years. Non alcoholic wine has a long.
Speaker 8: Way to go.
Speaker 4: We know, we know, we've tried some. Some of it's great, by the way, it's some of it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gosh, it's as a solier, I haven't been able to find one that I'm I've been really excited about that speaks to the same quality that I expect from a bottle of wine. But when I found Proxy, it's not just dealcoholized wine. Because all of our wines at Nomadica, they're you know, practicing organic. There's no chemical manipulation, there's zero grams of sugar, no ingredients added. And so I wanted to take that same approach to our non alcoholic project. And so I teamed up with the entire amazing genius team at Proxies, which also has Acid League.
Speaker 8: They're old school.
Speaker 1: CpG founders, and we came up with a blend of proprietary herbs, juices, floral tinctures, all of the things you love about wine, but in an all natural way.
Speaker 4: Our thanks to Kristin O'shewski, founder and CEO of Nomadica Wines.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week. Coming up spicy vodka Ourbiata? Did I say that right?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know Arabiata Alfredo or great Old Marinera.
Speaker 4: It's time to get saucy with the CEO of Carbone Fine Food. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and the Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 4: You know the Marinara sauce aisle at the grocery store these days, Carol, Yeah, not what it was like when I was a kid, where it was like all classico and prego. Remember that it really was.
Speaker 3: Can I just wait before you go on? I'm just gonna say my mom was always made homemade.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: I know I was spoiled, but go ahead.
Speaker 7: Go on.
Speaker 4: Wow, go on, because not everybody shade to Susan Stem.
Speaker 3: There's also a stay at home mom for a while, so she could do that well.
Speaker 4: The aisle has moved up scale with more botique options, including reyos and the sauce from our next guest company. Eric Ska is CEO at Carbone Fine Food. It's the maker of Marinera spicy vodka tomato basil arabiata. You like that? Wow? I practiced that one earlier Alfredo and more.
Speaker 3: Eric joined. He disappeared for like an hour or so.
Speaker 4: It was just holding a bottle in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio. Eric, good to see you. Okay, Carol and I were talking about this Carbone Fine Foods. Right, Carbone, the restaurant which is owned by Major Food Group. Let's start there. What's the relationship. Just settle the score for it.
Speaker 7: Major Food Group is majority owners of Carbone Fine Food.
Speaker 4: Okay, and inspired by the restaurant.
Speaker 7: Inspired by inspired by the restaurant.
Speaker 4: Yes, what you get in a jar at the grocery store from Carbone Marinera? Do you get that at the restaurant Carbone?
Speaker 7: Yes? I mean as close representation as you can make good that's the Ip Marshall kitchen. Absolutely okay, all fresh ingredients. Tomatoes from Italy, onions are chopped on site, Garlic's minced on site, basil his hands stripped on site as we produce a product and it cooks for an hour to an hour and ten minutes, meeting your homemade taste. What we look for restaurant quality, and Mario Carbone is very passionate about that, so he tastes everything.
Speaker 3: I kind of love it when I roll over the ingredients and what you're seeing is everything I understand and there's no chemicals, there's no nothing like that. I mean that to me is super important. How do you though, make sure that it is as good as the restaurant?
Speaker 7: So, I mean, look, we're very, very involved in the manufacturing of this. So the first year I tasted personally every single batch before it was allowed to go in a jar. Obviously, I have a staff now. How to go one hundred thousand miles on United without leaving the country. I live in Las Vegas. That's my fault.
Speaker 3: How many times did you taste something You're like nope, nope, nope. It sounds like a lot.
Speaker 7: Not that often because I work with people that I trust that are very very good at doing this. It's a very specialized process. No one wants to cook for an hour in a manufacturing facility, so those who do it are as passionate as I am about it.
Speaker 4: How do you control that? Because I mean, I would imagine you have manufacturing facilities in several parts of the country. It's not necessarily centralized in place ingredient variabilities based on seasons. And those tomatoes that you do get from Italy, how do you control for those things?
Speaker 7: So the tomatoes you get from Italy, you're going to be fairly consistent. They come in. We open up number ten cans, just like the back of a restaurant, so or not. It's not big drums of tomatoes. They're packed just in tomato season, and that's tomato we use. So I mean, to your point, I might be able to take us taste a slight variation in fresh basil because it was hand stripped at a different time. We've never gotten a complaint.
Speaker 4: Is it any different parts of the country where the where you do many where you actually do the manufacturing.
Speaker 7: No, most of it's here in East Coast. We have a couple of cup backords set up that that we work with, but we have a primary that does a good majority of it.
Speaker 3: All right, great bottle carbon name very prominent. Why are they doing this? Why do they need to do this?
Speaker 7: You know that would be a that'ud be a question for for Mario, but you know, as I've seen him ask that question, he's got X amount of restaurants and not everybody can get to his restaurants, and people want to get there, So you wanted to put something in the jar that represented the restaurant and allowed people to taste the experience of Carbone. And that's why we're so passionate about what goes in that jar, tasting better than anything. Our recipes on our site were developed by Carbone chefs so and we've kind of kept them simple so the home cook can make it, but they're really good recipes.
Speaker 3: Does it create a significant revenue stream potentially? I mean, you understand this industry, we didn't. You know, you're a former CEO RAOS. You know someone who's been in the food and beverage, but you know area for a long time. Is it something though, when you have a name that's known that you can build a significant revenue line.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, I mean we just finished our third full year. We've done eighteen million jars since we launched. We're in twenty four thousand accounts, and we're the number seven brand in America, number two in natural foods. So it's went very, very fast, and it is in large part because we had a name that we could leverage from an awareness standpoint. You know, awareness was not massive in the Midwest Midwest, for example, but it was known certain by enough people to start something. Yeah, and then you know, then the blocking and tackling happens of building a brand.
Speaker 4: Okay, so this is not your first rodeo, as Carol mentioned, your first Red Sauce rodeo twenty sixteen to twenty eighteen CEO of REOs. That was the period it was acquired by Sovos from more than four hundred million dollars. Then a couple of years later I believe it was what twenty twenty one, twenty twenty four, Yeah, twenty twenty four, Yeah, when it Sovos closed its acquisition, or when it SOLS was bought by Campbell's for two point seven billion dollars.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Obviously some big growth in the space over the last few years. What do you see as driving the growth and how much growth is left in sort of the premiumization.
Speaker 7: I think it's significant because of the premiumization. You know, Reo started that trend when they put the first jar on the shelf in nineteen ninety two. So if you think about it's a long time ago. So this has been a long slow build the consumer. And you think about other categories like craft beer, right that premiumized years ago. So ice cream premiumized with Ben and Jerry's years ago. The premiumization in every category is happening. Pasta saus finally got its turn, you know around twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen where it started to really really drive from a premiumization standpoint, and people are just looking for healthier, better ingredients.
Speaker 3: Listen, I can't tell you. I've got a twenty one year old and the same thing. We turn everything around and we want to know what's in it, and we want to make sure we understand the ingredients. I am curious how big you think it can be, how big you want this brand to be, and is it a case of you're going to follow the model of selling it off at some point?
Speaker 7: You know, there's no decisions made. My partners are young, Jeff, Mario and Rich are in their forties, right, I'm the old guy in the room, and I love what I do, so I'm in no rush, and I actually I would have never envisioned doing a startup. I went from raos to another run where I took a company through an exit, and I didn't want to do that, So that's why I went to startup. So we don't have a timeline. We believe there's a tremendous amount of growth, not only in Sauce but in Italian like we have a platform brand that I could if we wanted to go beyond. We see a significant amount of growth in Sauce in the next two to three years. So I'm not doing anything. I believe in maniacal focus when something's working, So it's working eight.
Speaker 4: To ten bucks roughly give or take you for a jar. Are you seeing any pushback from consumers on on higher price stuff as we speak.
Speaker 7: Not, I mean not that I'm seeing. I mean, of course people will make comments, you know, friends, friends in general, or my brother who waits till it's on sale.
Speaker 6: To buy it.
Speaker 7: But probably, But for the most part, I think, I mean, come up I think Raos has I you know, I give I give Rayos a lot of credit. And the people before me who built Rayos slowly and painstakingly, right, they really did a good job and they built a model, and they built they built a category, so that eight to ten is not sticker shock for everybody anymore. It is for certain people. And I get it. But once you try that product, the amount of care we put it into what goes in that jar, it's worth it.
Speaker 4: Here's a problem, Carol. What feeding your kid the pasta sauce that you buy as adults, because then they get hooked on it, and then you find yourself in situations like us ordering huge jars and then they're like, I want you know, that's a problem. I mean, that's the expensive pasta sauce.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing. I mean, not every pasta sauce is the same, no doubt about it. How do you manage the growth or the expansion of the brand in a careful, thoughtful way, and do you need to.
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course I do. I think brand is everything, so you have to make sure it's working before you know, if you've got initiatives and something's not working, fixed that before you moved it the next thing. Right, We grew fast because it was working. But had I saw, you know, some resistance, I would have worked on figuring out that resistance before I expanded. I started. I started in the Northeast, and my intention was to stay there for eighteen months, but within eighteen months I was national, right, and I didn't expect that the intention was to go slow. I didn't expect it to go as fast.
Speaker 3: As its stores were asking for you guys, or what.
Speaker 7: We had stores asking for us. We had, yeah, I mean all everything, you know. The customer that I thought would adopt it immediately took a year and a half, which was Whole Foods, but you know, we were we started in twenty one. Yeah, pandemic luck going on, buyer changes, you know, so on and so forth. So it took a little longer with that particular chain. But now if you go into Whole Foods, were very well represented.
Speaker 4: Hey, one thing I noticed about your career is you've been in this industry for decades at this point, and you started off. You've really rode the wave of different trends at different points in your career, like the juices in the early part of the career like fresh Semantha's Naked on Wallas and those sorts of things, and then popcorn rayos a little later in your career. What's what's the trend that you're seeing play out right now? Sort of the next trend?
Speaker 7: It's really hard to say. In today's world. It's gotten, it's gotten muddy. But any anything that's going to be higher protein is on point. You you know, you did a segment on g LP once. That's going to drive I think new innovation that's real, right, and healthy innovation. Everything points to at least the doubling in usage in a last in the next call it five years, and the households that are on it, they're actually showing a decline and how much they purchase a grocery stores, So it's interesting much bigger decline and convenience stores because if you think about snacking, right, that's that's what's going to get hurt. Right. I think good food is always going to do well. That's that's the way I look at and healthy food because those people I you know, just having interview a couple, they tend to get healthy. Some of them tend to get healthier at the same time. Necessarily are looking for better ingredients.
Speaker 4: Is it like the visceral reminder that you're stabbing yourself with don't know, a.
Speaker 3: Pen I think, you know, I know initially from folks who've done it too. I mean, they don't like the taste of food, right, and so they kind of, I don't know, they almost kind of go through a little bit of a cleansing to some extent, and think, I don't know, it's just interesting to watch.
Speaker 7: That could be. I do have a daughter that is using it, and that when I say I inter read someone, it's close close to me. Yeah, but you know she's like at Barry's boot camp in the morning now and like, you know, really healthy, which is great cool.
Speaker 3: You do wonder if it's a case of and not necessarily for your daughter, but others who tried to lose weight couldn't lose weight, or whether it's because you know, they're diabetic or whatever. And finally, Ken and I think it feels really good. They feel so much healthier, and I think want to kind of stay in that place would be would be my gut. But so I'm curious if gop one is really ultimately the driving force in a lot of the food companies. Is it upstarts that all of a sudden become the giants or do the giants have to buy the upstarts because they've got to catch up and they evolve, they're disruptive, Like, how do you see that play now?
Speaker 7: I think it's all the above. I think you have new product development going on in big food already. Would be my bet. I mean I don't know that certainly, but that would be my bet. And they're going to look at upstarts because sometimes buying growth is easier than creating it.
Speaker 4: That was Eric Skaye, CEO of Carbone Fine Food.
Speaker 3: Still ahead on Bloomberg Business Week Fire Cooking with the King or a three hundred year old violin, not any old violin, I should.
Speaker 4: Say, so off its hour? What to spend your bonus on? That's next? This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's bonus season. If you're one of the lucky for you who are looking for something to spend that money on rather than spending it on I don't know, tuition or bills and necessities. Well, we've got you.
Speaker 4: Covered everything from transparent TVs to ice baths to fire cooking with the King with more. We checked in with Chris Rouser, the editor of Bloomberg Pursuits.
Speaker 9: So Wall Street bonuses are supposed to be up about ten percent this year. So for the Right Stuff page in Bloomberg Business Week and the next issue, we had some We brought together a little bit of inspiration and insight from our readers about what they're fantasizing about what they might want to buy, what the biggest mockers are going to get into this year, And one of them was a cold plunge. Yeah, there's a collaboration between Cohler and Remedy Place, which is a little sort of a wellness spot company, and you can get a cold plunge in your own house, so you can plunge into forty degree water and sit in there for up to six minutes while you're listening to music and resting on a pillow and presumably screaming and crying.
Speaker 4: Or the Bloomberg Business Week, the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. I've done, have you done a cold plunch?
Speaker 6: Chris?
Speaker 4: Have you done cold plunch?
Speaker 9: I have, but not for six minutes.
Speaker 4: No, that's what I was going to say. I did one minute. I did one minute. But that's what they reckon this one. Thank you, Carol. You've never done it, so I don't know what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Iod cold water, but so this sounds like goes why why?
Speaker 4: This one also goes up to one hundred and four degrees so you can have a life.
Speaker 3: So okay, then I'm in. Then I'm in, Chris. I am curious because there's some really great things. What's like, what's the thing you would want?
Speaker 9: Well, you know the answer to that, Carol, I would want to watch. We have a show hard Watch, which has not only a turbion, which is a very rare complication, but also a perpetual calendar, which is like the geekiest thing that watch collectors love. It keeps track of the day, months, dates, and year across leap years. But and Chparte has this new great one, luc one, but it is pricey. It's one hundred and eighty four thousand dollars and you could just inspiration. You could get something at a wide variety of price ranges for your wrist.
Speaker 3: All right, something more kinto that maybe that I would like the Cardier I was saying. I said to Tim coming into this, Chris, I'm like, most of this stuff feels like it's for dudes, but there is something a Cardier necklace that women who are getting bonuses might be interested in.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So this year last year actually was one hundredth anniversary of Cardier is Trinity Collection, which is there. You've seen people wearing it, everybody copied it. It's interlocking rings of yellow gold, white gold, and rose gold, and it's become very popular. They've been pushing it for its one hundredth anniversary and new there's a new iteration of it, which is little squares instead of little rings, and they've done it in rings and bracelets. And this is a necklace which is just like gold tumbling down your neck, which we really liked.
Speaker 4: Okay, I too. You know which one the thing on this list that I.
Speaker 9: Would want dRIT to various Nope, the Glen Live Nope, The speakers nope.
Speaker 4: The France Melman Nope.
Speaker 3: The meat yes, the cooking thing.
Speaker 4: The cooking Sorry, he wants the meat. It's more than just a cool you know, I like experiential stuff. Fire cooking with the king sounds pretty cool.
Speaker 9: So Francis Malmon is sort of a legendary chef and he's famous for well also being able to like go out in the wild and like eat things he finds and kills, but also for cooking over fire and like a not a grill, like a fire built with wood with a ring of stones around it, and he will teach you how to do it. And for the first time ever, he's offering little trips where you can go to his private island in Patagonia and you can learn from him for a week. And it seems very cool and very exclusive and just like really experiential because of the land where it is, what he teaches you, and you can do it with a small group of friends.
Speaker 3: All right, So we know if Tim is taking off the dates March twenty first through the thirtieth, I know exactly then what you're doing. It's only what twenty one four hundred at a pump?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's for five days, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: So are you going to take anybody for.
Speaker 4: Twenty yeah, four thousand bucks a day? It's okay?
Speaker 9: I mean, Tim, what other two people. Are you going to take other than Chris and Carol?
Speaker 4: That's right, Jil, we're not allowed to take vacation at the same time.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 4: We're sorry, Chris.
Speaker 3: It's just we're not allowed to fly together. We're not allowed to No, just kidding.
Speaker 4: There's something on this list.
Speaker 3: Where are you going?
Speaker 4: That is? I think many people would say priceless, yet for a price it might be yours. We're talking about a stratavarius.
Speaker 9: Yes, so strata various violins. They're actually a fair amount of them still bopping around and you can play them. They still sounds of everything. And one which is called the joke im Strata Areus was owned by the New England Conservatory Music and they are auction it off this year next month so that someone else can buy it and they're going to use the proceeds to do music scholarships and stuff and so. But for years it's been in their hands and students have played it, so you know, they're hoping that it finds its way into an enthusiast hands. The low estimate is twelve million dollars and it's the only one for sale currently, so it is a stretch and it is one of those inspiration things, you know, reach reach for the stars. But the previous one, the previous record is fifteen point nine million forest ratuv areas, though it could go for more than that.
Speaker 4: That's Chris Rouser, the editor of Bloomberg Pursuits.
Speaker 3: The Grammys are this weekend, taking place in the Crypto dot Com Arena in Los Angeles. Ninety four categories in the music industry recognized. It is billed as music's biggest night and will be an evening with an additional focus to raise funds to support relief efforts and aid music professionals impacted by the wildfires in la.
Speaker 4: Just ahead of the event, we caught up with Harvey Mason, CEO of the Recording Academy, it's the organization behind the Grammys. He's also a record producer, songwriter, and film producer.
Speaker 10: It's going to be a very different show. We are based here in La as are many of our creative community members and members of the Academy, so we've been affected by these fires. We are going to set a different tone on the show. We're still an honor music. We're gonna have you performances and awards, but we're also going to raise money. We're going to raise awareness, Shawn a spotlight on some of the heroes that have been saving home, saving lives. So we hope we can be a light in a time that's been pretty dark for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt about it. And you know, we've had some conversations with folks in various industries who have been impacted directly. What can you tell us about I hope your family and your community are well, but I am curious what you can tell us about firsthand and what you are hearing about. Folks in the music industry who have been impacted.
Speaker 10: Well, I can tell you a lot because we're hearing from them every day, all day long. People in our community are struggling. Obviously, I'm safe and I'm fortunate, thankfully my house is and my family or my house and my family are okay. But the music community has been hit very, very hard. Music Cares, which is our philanthropic affiliate, we're getting hundreds of requests a day for help for just basic needs, food, shelter, water, and now we're going to start seeing a second wave of the need, which is instruments. Studios have been burned down, guitars have been ruined. There's so many people in our community that are going to struggle to make a living after this fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I wonder, you know how long if there's like a concern. I mean, we talk a lot about Hollywood and the struggles at Hollywood has seen over the last few years, given COVID, given the strike, given the way that movies and TV are now shot all over the world instead of in Hollywood, less and less so in Hollywood. Are you concerned about the music industry moving away from Southern California.
Speaker 10: I believe there's always going to be a to be in Southern California, the creativity, the infrastructure, the other things that are here. But of course I'm concerned. I'm concerned for our members. We have over twenty five thousand members that are part of the Academy. I want them to be safe, I want them to be healthy. I want them to have an opportunity to make a good living. Many of our members are not the superstar as you see on that stage back there. They're the working class people that come to work every day, or play in a restaurant or play a small tour. So yes, I want to make sure they're able to make a living. So we have a lot of things to work through. But this week, specifically, we're going to be honoring music and we're going to be hopefully doing it in a sensitive, thoughtful way that can also raise money for fire victims.
Speaker 3: Hey, one of the things I wanted to ask you, or we wanted to ask you, Harvey, is you are the first black CEO of an organization that has been around for many decades and that has sometimes been criticized for a lack of diversity among its voting members. And even so, you know, in terms of when determining awards, maybe concerns about racial bias. The environment that we're in today had President Trump setting actions that aim to block DEI practices across the federal government. Another initiative in terms of the FAA dealing with diversity.
Speaker 10: How are you looking at You're saying that I'm Are you saying I'm a diversity higher?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm just you know, I know exactly what you're saying.
Speaker 10: And I have to say, yeah, I have to say that when I came into this role, I had some of the same concerns. There were things about the organization that I felt needed to be changed. Our membership was not diverse. Some of our awards processes were out of date and being affected by systemic history of lack of diversity in certain parts of our community. But we've made a lot of changes. Right now we're forty percent people of color, and I think it's really relevant as it relates to music into the academy, it's not performative. The people that are making the music and the genres that are popular and the consumption habits are very reflective now by our membership, our voters are now reflecting who's making music, which genres are popular.
Speaker 3: And I guess what I wanted to add ask you is that to have this come out of the federal government, by the leader of the free world, the President of the United States, looking to block the initiatives and government, what happens in your community? Do things change or do people continue to focus on the importance of diversity. Do they continue to stress it? I guess going forward, I'm not sure what.
Speaker 10: Everyone else is going to do, but we are going to continue to stress it because it's relevant applicable to our industry. Music is very creators, artists, people who make this magic. This music come from different parts of the world, different types of people, different races, So for us it is important and we can't hope to evaluate music, and that's what we're doing is very subjective. We can't evaluate music without having a wide spectrum of opinions and thoughts and beliefs. So for us, diversity is always.
Speaker 3: Going to be very, very important, totally great. It's what we love about music. Hey, Harvey, what are you looking forward to at the Grammy Sunday?
Speaker 10: Oh my gosh, there's so many things and the stage is absolutely beautiful. We're going to have incredible people to get We're gonna have a chance for our music community to really come together. It's gonna do good for some financial reasons, but it's also gonna do good for the city of La resilient nature of music is gonna bring the city back and at least help to bring it back a little bit for three hours at least, and then it's gonna be just time for the community to hug and share stories and maybe have some emotional moments together because it has been a trying time for.
Speaker 7: All of us.
Speaker 4: That's Harvey Mason, CEO of the Recording Academy. The Grammys, by the way, airing live on CBS and Paramount Plus on Sunday Highlights two at Live dot Grammy dot com.
Speaker 3: And that wraps up the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Be sure to tune into Bloomberg Business Week Monday through Friday starting at two pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg TV, Bloomberg Radio, and on Sirius XM Channel one twenty one. You can also listen to us on Applecarplay and Android Auto Free in the Apple App Store or on Google Play.
Speaker 3: You can also watch our daily broadcast on YouTube. Just search Bloomberg Global News, where simulcast on Bloomberg Originals available at Bloomberg dot com, Slash and streaming platforms including Roku, Amazon, fireTV, Samsung TV Plus and more.
Speaker 4: Find our Bloomberg BusinessWeek podcast at Bloomberg dot com, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts. And the latest edition of the magazine is available on newsstands now at Bloomberg dot com and always on the Bloomberg Terminal. I'm Tim Stenoveek and.
Speaker 3: I'm Carol Masser. Have a good and saved weekend. Everyone.
Speaker 2: This is The Bloomberg Business Week podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal