Speaker 1: Warning today's episode Kata's spoilers for X Men ninety seven Season two, episode four. Hello, my name is Jason kickups you an, I'm Rosie Nike and welcome back to Extras the podcast. We have dB rabis, Bob got our podcast? Where bring you?
Speaker 2: Plus in today's episode, Guess Who's back?
Speaker 3: And Sabana again.
Speaker 2: It is the second part of Rise of the Apocalypse. There's lots of twists and turns here, guys, So we are gonna be covering all the bits and bobs that happen, and then we'll be asking questions about what this means for the rest of the sea. Because this is episode four and there are five episodes left.
Speaker 1: We open up on episode four with Magnino trying to tell everybody, hey, listen, chill out, chill out. Nor can he can still be a good guy. I'd like, let's not fly off the handle about him. Professor X is still trying to reason with him. This is all in the in the wake of the various reveals that the X Men and Magneto and Professor X have all been lying then sabur about everything's been going on, plus the fact that Bab is now dead and there's been an attack and Bishop is out here shooting people. What's going on.
Speaker 3: He's not loving.
Speaker 2: He's not loving the fact that they wanted the rama tat technology.
Speaker 3: He's not loving that.
Speaker 2: They were scheming behind his back. I don't really know why Magneo didn't tell him that, honestly, because he was doing quite a good job connecting with him.
Speaker 3: But yes, that is where they are, and it's not going well.
Speaker 2: It's definitely causing cracks in our most beloved team.
Speaker 1: So the you know, the the argument, the pro Magneto argument is like everything could be different if we get Apocalypse as a good guy, Like maybe hey, maybe none of our loved ones die in the various conflicts that pop off because mutants are an oppressed minority. You know, maybe genocious survives. And Rogue is like interested in this.
Speaker 2: I also think, like it's not really saying it, but I love that the implication is here.
Speaker 3: Also, like maybe the Holocaust wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 2: Like in his mind, he's like he's thinking it's about mutants, but this is like we're talking about ancient Egypt, so we don't know the things that Apocalypse would change, you know, And that's the problem is like, it's such a huge choice. But I understand what Eric is saying. It's just really funny that he is the one who is believing this.
Speaker 3: It's so so much of a switch.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this because my read on it is that Eric believes it because he knows in a future, in a timeline with the apocalypse, with apocalypse and the x Men as allies, he would never let the Holocaust and other things happen, like Magneto would actively do. It wouldn't be like we all live together, la la la, hand in hand. I think Magneto is thinking mutant supremacy if we.
Speaker 2: Have yeah, and he's like, and if we had that, then I wouldn't let these things happen.
Speaker 3: That's a great read.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think that's app But he's trying to appeal to it in a very child's examli which I think is funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, and again, as we said last episode, it's a really fun inversion of the typical yeah, Charles.
Speaker 2: Also very cheeky, very cheeky of Eric to invoke Genosha knowing that it would get his ex girlfriend about her ex.
Speaker 3: That's so throuppily. He's like, you know, maybe.
Speaker 2: Genosha could come back, what would that be like? Like would Gambit be alive? Like maybe we could have a threesome.
Speaker 3: Like calm down, Calm down Za.
Speaker 1: So Charles is trying to chill out Apocalypse about all the things that he's you know, come to realize in the last few hours. He does a psychoprobe. He sees bad Sabnur's entire like history as a slave, and the stars calling to him as Apocalypse and the voice of ess On. Okay, you think there's a gone.
Speaker 3: Weird before you thought it was weird before. Now it's weird.
Speaker 1: Es On the searcher crazy. I mean, should we talk about this now or later? We'll talk about it later.
Speaker 2: Well, so we can talk about Alea. But just know this is like a crazy pullem. When we talk about it's gonna sound even crazy, and then it's.
Speaker 1: Gonna sound insane. So this is a this is a wild, wild reveal. All of which is to say they are doing the actual kind of it's a re mix of the comics Apocalypse origin. Basically, they're doing it. They're just kind of mixing up a few details.
Speaker 3: And bringing in little different tastes.
Speaker 2: So like the him being an enslaved kid is like a really big part of some parts of the laws.
Speaker 3: So like sprinkling that and so you know that.
Speaker 2: That app It's like, yeah, it's like a I guess the greatest hits of his of his origins.
Speaker 1: So the X Men and Sabur follow this voice, following the constellation from which the Essan's voice came from, and they reach a secret temple that night. Rogue sits by the fire and North cots to speak with her, and she's like, let me tell you about my ex boyfriend, Gambit. He's dead. He died heroically. Ner is like, Bit, I never I've never been in love. I've never known anything but trauma. Love is pain and it's a weakness I can't afford.
Speaker 4: Crazy, crazy, crazy sad boy Apocalypse, Like the memes are going to be so crazy for this scene, like just sitting by the fire with Apocalypse telling and he's like, life's pain.
Speaker 3: I can't afford to love. But Rogue's been in love. So what does she say, Jason?
Speaker 1: She says, and the only thing that makes worth life worth living. It may made me feel like this is exactly Rogue's type.
Speaker 2: By the way, I was having the same I was like, the fan not will be fanning and the ships will be sailing.
Speaker 1: Like extremely traumatized man that is, and he's very hunky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she likes a traumatized man with an insane law. So he's really.
Speaker 1: The Pharaoh enters Xavior's mind and tries to tempt him with knowledge of the Sacred Temple. Charles meets Trauma Tut on the psychic plane and reveals that in fact, he is Kang, a version of kan.
Speaker 3: Oh what we called it, by the way, I mean, no surprises that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to just just a touch on this, Jason, how do you feel like this kind of lands? But because we were saying that something really interesting before we came on the show was like Ian was kind of saying, that's kind of crazy, right for them to just be like Kang, you know, after everything we know and how much of a big character is and stuff.
Speaker 3: So obviously even though.
Speaker 2: You knew it, how did it feel for it to just happen straight away and not be some slow burned thing.
Speaker 1: I mean it's kind of as a comics fan, I love it. Yeah, do you wonder how Yeah? I do wonder how it lands for other people, But it is one of those things where listen, it lands. But like we said, you know, for me, King has always been I wouldn't put him in my top five MC.
Speaker 3: You know Marvel, No, no, no, no, no, he's a weird o. Deep he's a weirdo.
Speaker 1: He's he's a he is like a Deis X mocking a character just anywhere, be anything. And in that sense, he's never really landed for me in the way that like Ultron or Fanos or doom Do who have you understand them as characters that there's so many Kangs, then it's hard to get your kind of at least for me, it's hard to get my eyes him as a character.
Speaker 2: Well also, I think people forget that before he was going to be in the movie. I mean I bought the first three appearances of Kang, including the Council of Kangs.
Speaker 3: I bought them for a dollar each.
Speaker 2: In It's Crazy back Iss You've bin in Philadelphia at I think it was. It's a really wonderful shop there. I can't remember what it's called. It's like up a flight of stairs. It was crazy. But that was one of those places where I was like, oh, copesetic comics, that's what it's called and and then like months later they were like hundreds of dollar books. You know, it's it's so and they're just Avengers issues like it's and random and that's like he was that deep cut.
Speaker 3: So I think you make a good point.
Speaker 2: I think that is why them actually doing it this way and just making it kind of cash is smart because actually, if you're a casual fan, now, if you google Kang the konkra oh, you'll go and revisit Loki. Oh, You'll go and revisit you know, Aman in the West Pontomania, and you'll be like, oh, that's the same character. Interesting, and that's probably all they want fans to do.
Speaker 3: And that's like it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I think that's right. So Rama tut Aka Kang basically reveals to Xavier that what he wants to do is take Apocalypse off the board and seize his power for himself, just make himself more powerful without the threat of clips hanging over him. Xavier, however, will not betray Magneto, and so Rama tut is like, well, you'll see what will happen if you don't let me kill and Sabor. You won't be able to stop him. He is too powerful. You can't there is no timeline where you ever defeat him.
Speaker 2: He's basically like, you cannot stop him. You never stop him because he's seen all timelines, right, And it's a really great line. And then it's a really great, like repeated kind of evocative moment that that end of the episode two.
Speaker 1: The X Men approach to Temple. Yeast acknowledges that there are gamma particles in the temple and that it's somehow alien, but also seems like humans built it, so it's very very weird. There are structures that seem to suggest celestials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some kind of like celestial lestial type stuff, which makes sense because that is in the.
Speaker 1: Lore of Message and Bats. Magnetos is like, let's split up.
Speaker 3: He's like, come on, my guys.
Speaker 1: Nor goes with Charles and Bishop. The X Men go after the hardware the power supplies inside the temple so they can repair their time bands and return to their timeline. Beast recognizes the ship. It's the structure they are in. Is not a temple as such. It is ship, something called ship. It is the spacecraft of Apocalypse, and it is a sentient spaceship in its own right, with its own kind of intelligence and powers and technology. It's like a character in its own right.
Speaker 2: Is it when we're seeing this version of ship, Like, is this going to be the same version of Shipate that Nathan Summers eventually ends up with.
Speaker 3: I think it is right.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is really fucking cool because of the way they're telling both stories at the same time.
Speaker 3: I didn't expect to get to see that, and.
Speaker 2: When they did this reveal this is a very again, this is a very like dense episode. I don't think these two necessarily land in exactly the way that the first two did for me, but I do love the way that they're kind of using the timeline and the time slip to be able to tell stories at times when they're more evocative of each other rather than you know, the months or weeks or years between storyline.
Speaker 1: I do wish there would have been some sort of like previously on something that would have underline the fact that Cable will like that Nathan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels kind of great get.
Speaker 1: His full Cable powers from ship and this is the same ship that these X men are now in in the ancient ancient, ancient, okay, Egyptian past.
Speaker 2: Do you think that the reason that they're not doing that is because for some people they might not have realized yeah, and they want it to be like a shocking reveal or not shocking reveal, maybe like it's just like a slow burn reveal, or you think it's just not that important to them.
Speaker 1: I think I think it might be that the thought is that bringing attention to it just makes it a little bit more confusing. Considering how timeline any confusing things are in.
Speaker 3: This story a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Ner feels drawn by the greater forces all around him. He sees hieroglyphs of the X Men helping Apocalypse rise to power. It's basically his story written on the walls all around the room, and Nerve then figures out the truth that the X Men didn't come to help him. They actually came to stop him from achieving his full power. So now he's really fucking man. He easily defeats Bishop, goes up to the shrine. Professor X tries to be like, no, don't become all powerful. It's like actually a really bad idea.
Speaker 3: Tell you, yeah, yeah, yeah, we could have just not lied to you.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. Ner is like, no, I'm gonna do it. The X Men try to fight him to stop Apocalypse from becoming Apocalypse. He easily defeats them all. He goes to ascend Essan. Now the voice rings out and speaks directly to Ner. You will be the end of things, he says, and so all creation must crash against the eternal Shore in order to thrive and grow. And he offers Ner the power if he says the following words, I am the rocks of the Eternal Shore crash against me, and be Brooke Beast arrives and he was able to fix the time bands. But the X Men are like, I don't know, do we.
Speaker 3: Stop he leave? Do he just like leave or do.
Speaker 2: He try likely like this is going to be the end of the world, Like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, my you know, personally, I feel like you didn't stop it originally, like you're just watching something that already happened, So just leave. Apocalypse does become apocalypse.
Speaker 3: And that's true.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, does is this like a is this like one of those Indiana Jones situations where it's like if they weren't there, it wouldn't have impacted it at all.
Speaker 3: Rather than them being there being the reason this happened.
Speaker 2: It's like that Indiana Jones type situation where it's like, actually, the Nazis would have always got the box, it just would have taken them a bit longer to get burnt or whatever.
Speaker 1: So Magneto uses his power to put the time bands on the X men, you know, basically allowing them to leave, and he will stay behind and try and you know, fix this whole apocalypseing. Apocalypse is now fully powered, and he asks Ship to take him to Rama Tuts Kingdom so he can destroy it. Magneto is like, no, don't.
Speaker 5: Yo, don't know how, don't you have to tell you? Don't do it good idea violence, it's it's so terrible and being like all powerful, it's very very bad. And Apocalypse attacks Magneto, but it is revealed that Professor X also stayed behind, and now the two team up.
Speaker 3: Oh litle boyfriend, boyfriend boyfriend.
Speaker 1: The two team up to try and defeed Apocalypse. Magneto sends Charles to stop the attack on Rama Tut while Maggniho himself goes toe to tote with Apocalypse. Now, let's take a quick break. You're right back after this, and I will say, let me just quickly say, before we go to break, I think this teaming up of Charles and Magneto can create onslaught. I think this is yeah, that's yeah correct. I think this is perhaps how onslaught correct will come to enter our story. Let's go to break. Yeah, we're back. Rama Tut decides that Okay, this world's getting a little too dangerous and I've had a good run here in ancient Egypt for like a long long time, but now and I'm not gonna be able to steal Apocalypse's power, so let me put my Kang stuff on and just like get out of here. Yeah, hang out. His his attendant is like, Rama Tut, no, your destiny. We could stay like, don't do it. But whatever he leaves, Apocalypse easily defeats Professor X's psychic attacks and Ordership to destroy Rama Tut city. Apocalypse is like, I'm going to make Charles Xavier into a horseman. That's going to be really cool. He's like trying to figure out which one is gonna be war He's gonna be pestiling.
Speaker 3: Yea, which be most evil to make him?
Speaker 1: But then Magneto launches his final attack, overwhelming Apocalypse with you know a storm of metal. Together, Magneto and Xavier stop the ship's attack. Magneto uses his magnetism to stop the black hole destroy everything, but Exavier warns him like you'll die in the process. Magneto engulfs this the black hole force in a magnetic force field and sends Charles away before he can like be like die in the in the.
Speaker 2: What is this crazy bro some real boyfriend saving behavior. I can't believe that they're going to do this to us. I mean I can, it makes sense, but I can't believe they're going to do it to us.
Speaker 1: So basically, Charles can do nothing about what's happening. He sees Magneto struggling with this black hole and Apocalypse you know, coming toward him. Apocalypse disintegrates Magneto easily, like in a sect, like in a way flick of the finger, and then tosses the helmet to Xavier. Xavier like tries to you know, reason bas with Apocalypse. Apocalypse is not listening. He's like only a coward feels mighty when stepping on ants. He says, basically saying like this is your best guy, Like I crushed like.
Speaker 3: Fucking Kaz like this doesn't make me feel and.
Speaker 1: This doesn't I feel nothing when I do.
Speaker 2: It's the street fight a line, right, my visit to your village was the most important day of your life, but to me it was just a Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Bishop arrives to take Exavier home with the Time Bands, and you know, they basically realize that Kang is Kang is right, like they are never they have never beaten Apocalypse and they will never beat Apocalypse, or at least that's how they feel now. He Apocalypse leaves Xavier alive because he's like, it's honestly, you're not what It too devastating for the story right now for me to kill you and also it is not even worth my power, but.
Speaker 3: Really it's a good one. Is just crazy, like it would be stablished.
Speaker 2: They haven't established enough space if a storman Scott to have the fight and everything like yeah, that guy is like no, no, yeah.
Speaker 1: We can't. We certainly can't kill you without several X men watching and for them to be traumatized by it for you or seventh time die.
Speaker 2: Oh can't see it and what's the point, right, Like the saddest thing is when they see each other die. So this is just Eric's timon tenant cycle of their relationship.
Speaker 1: So we get a post credit scene. It is Wolverine, Captain America, and Black Widow. They are on some Weapon X type mission. Captain America warns Logan that going after WEAPONX alone is going to be you know, very very dangerous. But Logan is like, I'm not alone. I have a crew, and you might say I'm getting Let's put a than that, take a break, come back to discuss this episode, and we are back. Let's start at the beginning. The immediate thing I thought when Wolverine said that he's got a band back together is that we're going to see him teamed up with you know, Cable and maybe Deadpool and a weapon basically like like I like, I like maybe saber Tooth.
Speaker 2: You know that, Like you know that that's a really cool that's a really cool read.
Speaker 1: But what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, my mind, obviously, I'm just like a terrible like ship fiend.
Speaker 3: So my mind was like, oh, well, Scott and Gene.
Speaker 2: Had to go back, right they got back, So maybe like maybe there's a version where he's gonna call on his old his old besties if they could join. But I think an animated Deadpool in this would be a huge win for them, and we have seen them do multiple different teams.
Speaker 3: So far, so I love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jason, though, the thing is, where do you think that tease actually leads? Like, because is that teasing us into the next episode? Are we gonna get episode five bottle episode that kind of changes the game of the season because this is obviously the post apocalypse kind of storyline we're heading into now. And if you think about the way that the last story was told, where five was that huge Genosha episode, I wonder if this is gonna follow these characters for a little bit or do you think that we're gonna go back to that main X Men story and this will pay off later.
Speaker 1: I've won, you know, I I think you have to continue this, right, I think it's right. It would be too juicy, it's too juicy and too dense, but I do it does seem like a very very hard stop. So episode so five title is apparently WEAPONX Lies and DVDs, So I think we are going to delve into the history of how Logan became Wolverine, the experiments that were done on him, which were covered in the original X Men the animated series, but maybe we're gonna go do it in a deeper way this time.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm trying to wonder, because I'm thinking about the way that they like to do like miniarcs here and stuff. So I wonder if maybe instead it's gonna be Wolverine going to get Laura Kinney or something. And we've seen her before, you know, I think she's an evolution, I think or something. So there are versions of X twenty three who have been animated perhaps if I'm not mistaken, But if not, I mean, wouldn't we want to see it?
Speaker 3: I mean, this.
Speaker 2: Would be so badass? And I do think that, Like you said, imagine if it's like the first gen of well it's the tenth gen. But if it's the Weapon X, like Gen one who survived, like you have him, you have dead Pool, you want to bring in Sabertooth, and they could be going to like stop Gen X from still.
Speaker 3: Doing the work.
Speaker 1: I just looked this up because Okay, it rang a bell and I'm right, So they did kind of cover this ground in the animated series. Season four of X Men, the Animated series, episode something was titled WEAPONX Lies and videotape. So this is an update of the title.
Speaker 3: Just a good.
Speaker 1: That episode was the big like weapon X conspiracy flashback that had Maverick, that had Sabertooth and silber Fox, and you had the whole team X thing, So.
Speaker 3: Makes sense that it would be that whole team then a right.
Speaker 1: So yes, Sabertooth was Aaron is asking saber tooth. Yes, Sabertooth was involved in that. This was when this is the flashback to when you know, uh, Maverick, Sabertooth, and Logan were all on the same team wearing that fucking dorky weaponary like the.
Speaker 3: Cova fucking ugly ash it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like I don't know who it was in the animated series, but in the comics that was like, yeah, you had silver Fox. That was an anime masted on like real weird characters castrol.
Speaker 1: So in that episode, that episode was about Logan untangling his like manufactured memories, like discovering which of the memories that he has were implanted and which were fake, which is kind of a thing that they've That was a big, big thing in the nineties was Wolverine's like tattered memory and how much was he really was he really you have to understand, like during this period through the eighties and into the nineties, Wolverine didn't know who he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also he was in like two hundred comics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no history of Wolverine, Like he didn't having it back.
Speaker 3: We were discovering it alongside him. It was truly like a slow burm mystery.
Speaker 1: Slow burn over many many years, which was really cool. So now my question is clearly this is going to be a remix now of the weapon X storylines as depicted in X Men, the animated series, But like how I wonder how different or how I know, I'm like most similar it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Most of this show has been very like responsive.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's been about you know, the first season was very much about reclamation of the X Men as like a radical force and like reinstating those things that were there in the eighties, and it was responding to ninety seven, but it was doing stuff that was completely original. So I wonder if the DVDs thing is going to give them a chance to save Laura Kinney or some new generation of new mutants or something. This could also potentially be connected to the different kind of ways we've seen Val Cooper and the American government currently imprisoning kids, So I think that there's ways that they could connect it back. But I kind of like the implication that, you know, it's the year nineteen ninety nine and somebody gets a DVD of like kids in these fucked up you know, Weapon X programs and Wolverine puts together the team to go and break them out. Like that sounds like something I'd want to see, And I think it could be an interesting way to add another person to the team because they're definitely broadening out the cost like massively.
Speaker 1: This is and this would be one difference from the animated series version was this would be bone closes, this would be non adamantium wolver that clause. This is post having his medal ripped out by by Magneto. So how does that affect the mission going forward? And one wonders if you're going to see that original like WEAPONX team ex Team Mavericks, Silver Fox, uh Sabertooth and Logan and maybe Weapon you know, like Okat Broader Weapon plus, Like I like.
Speaker 2: That Weapon plus LG It's like it's like lgbt q I A and never get well definitely like Weapon plus, but it's it's like, also, if you if you can, don't have enough money.
Speaker 3: Just get weapon with ads.
Speaker 2: You know, it's fine, Like but okay, So Aaron asked a really good question in the chat. Is he going back to Weapon X to get the adamantium added back because he knows about the threat of apocalypse or he wants to do whatever else? Like is where he's doing that?
Speaker 1: That's interesting? There could be a there might remember when Sabertooth got the adamantium. I wonder if there's like a I wonder if there's like a team up and betrayal thing possibly happening where it's like Logan is like, hey, let's get payback on the guys that did this to us. I know we hate each other, but and also secretly I want my adamantium back, and then saber Tooths like, yeah, yeah, yeah, let's get the Weapon X. Guys totally like this, it'd be great, and then at the end betrays him like I'm taking them.
Speaker 2: That's really a great idea. I also would be interested. This is just me wish for thinking. But you know, there's also a version where he's had that shit ripped out. So now he wants a magne a metal put on him that you know they can't rip out of him, like a little bit of vibranium a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, little bit of vibranium bones. We'd love to see it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I actually love that read. I think that's really interesting. I'm just that I don't think that this is a compliment to the show that the post credits seen is more exciting than the episode. But I do think it's true well, and I think I don't think it's like a problem necessarily with the two parts as a whole, but I do think it's interesting that they didn't just choose to do episode one and two one week, an episode three and four another week.
Speaker 3: I feel like, just release this one as like a little hour long movie.
Speaker 1: It's been to this point a very fragmented season, and I think the thing that concerns me about how fragmented it is is this isn't this isn't X Men in the animated series era where we're gonna get twenty three no exactly.
Speaker 3: Exactly, there's nine episodes.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be nine, and that just feels like a lot to cover. If this depending on how like so let me ask you this weapon X lies and DVDs. Is this gonna be a one episode bottle breather? And then we go back to what I'm.
Speaker 2: Trying to work out. Okay, so let me ask you. I'm gonna ask you counter question that I think will help answer. Let's we put a pin in it early on, but let's talk about how you think this could set up Onslaught, because I think that's the other big question is like, is this gonna be a breather and then they're gonna try and do an Onslaught situation at the end or are they setting up Onslaught for season three?
Speaker 3: And I think is that too long? Almost?
Speaker 2: Like should they be? Do you think they can do a whole season three of Onslaught? Like where do you see them putting it in? Because it does feel like with Charles going through it the way he's going through it.
Speaker 1: I think that we will not. I think that Onslaught will be hinted at towards the end of the season and Okay, we'll be the major big bad of of season three.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I feel like.
Speaker 1: We have to get some kind of closure with Apocalypse over the past of this season, right, like you can't start this strongly at the very origin of Apocalypse end, the dystopian end of Apocalypse, with Cable becoming like the Chosen One and not like address the apocalypse piece head on. It would be too weird to like go away from it long time. Okay, don't you think so?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, no, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: So I'm going I'm going back to those good old titles that they recently released, so we have and don't listen if this kind of thing is not your if you're on inside baseball type person and you want to go fully in, but they have. Then we have Danger dot ex, which I have enough young nieces and nephews to guess that that will probably mean the Danger Room will become sentient and go evil, because.
Speaker 1: That's just by the way, that is class. That's that's astonishing X men. Now we're into the two thousand, that's what I'm saying, right, that's the.
Speaker 2: Case hypothetically so, and then we're going to have one called Strange Land Savage Heart, so we can imagine that that's going to be Savage Land, which we love. Then the Dead Man's Hand, which sounds very gambit coded. But the final episode is called Survival of the Fittest. So I think what we can assume is this is going to be a meandering situation. Maybe now that you've posed the Weapon X team, maybe every episode is kind of widening the group of X Men that we are going to get to the point where when we get to Apocalypse we see them defeat him because there are X Factor X Force, new Mutant, you know, Weapon X, Like every single mutant team is teamed up, and then when you think, oh, well we beat Apocalypse, isn't that great? Your teaser is onslaugh.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's go through these one at a time and try to figure this out. Okay, so WEAPONX lies and DVD's I think we It does seem like through the log line that Wolverine and Morph are the team, along with a group of unlikely group of former rivals. So that's probably Sabertooth. Yeah, and I don't know who Maverick doesn't count, but like it may be Silver.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, Silver Fox or Mastodon or whoever they want to bring it.
Speaker 3: Also, yeah, I want to say Morph, we know what that means.
Speaker 2: That also means that we could be seeing some other weird characters that Morph is just taking on their powers for a little bit, so I think they would exactly.
Speaker 1: So I think that we're right about basically what that is, which is like a remix of Wolverine Logan trying to get his mind right, just like we saw an X Men the animated series. Okay, danger ex So again, this to me reads as the danger storyline from Whedon and Cassidy's Astonishing X Men. This is from two thousand and five, oh yeah, in which the Danger Room comes alive and is basically like Charles Xavier, you knew I was alive. You caged me and ignored me, and I've been crying out for you to pay attention to me, and you didn't do it. You enslaved me to make me run all these simulations and now I'm fucking mad. And by the way, I know all the X Men's weaknesses, so I'm going to really make your life. Hell. I think that that's clearly what they're going to do for that, right, just pull that directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they basically and they say that this is going to be Polaris returning to the X Mansion just as a new threat emerges on campus. So you can imagine this is going to be Polara's basically coming back. She's gonna save the day. She's probably gonna prove herself that she's no longer one of the corporate mutant cops.
Speaker 3: And I, yeah, well we'll get a really fun run on that.
Speaker 1: What I loved about this period of X writing, I mean, listen, you know, Joss Wheden whatever. I love thee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it had what it was like to be in the comic shop when it came out.
Speaker 1: And the thing that I loved about it despite all the delays, was that story about is that they figured out an even worst thing for Charles Exavier to do. Forget forget that he had you know, broken soldiers and created an army of child soldiers and then like created mental blocks. Not only that he knew that the Danger Room was sentient for years and.
Speaker 3: He just left it trapped.
Speaker 2: In that it could have been hanging out, it could have been he could have at least put an intercoms like communicate, like Danny the Street or something, and like, come on.
Speaker 1: Just kept her buried in there.
Speaker 3: So evil.
Speaker 2: Also, I love I love the danger Dot ex because also, like, yeah, internet kid culture is like very into this specific sonic ex meme where It's like a deep fried evil sonic, and so it got so popular that they had to make official Sonic dot Ex toys and it's kind of this red eyed evil sonic. And I love the notion that we're gonna get to see the DANGEROUM go evil, Jason, what do you have any predictions of any of the horrific stuff it's gonna do or show? Like, do you think there's any particular weaknesses it will it's gonna trap them in there, and I think it's gonna kind of pound them with like Genosha, bad shit happens.
Speaker 1: It's gonna it's gonna appear as their dead loved ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Gambit's definitely gonna be there.
Speaker 1: It's gonna appear to Polaris as Magneto, who like, it's gonna do all those things, and then finally she'll take like physical form where.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, which I can't wait for.
Speaker 1: Okay, Strange Land, Savage Heart clearly a Savage Land story. Okay, why are we going to the Savage And I don't know. This is a well established part of ex lore. Constant travels to the Savage Land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they love to see a dinosaur.
Speaker 1: The prehistoric land that is under the Antarctic ice cap, So what is this gonna mean? The the log line is the X Men travel to the Savage Land and are surprised to encounter a familiar face. Is that Kazar?
Speaker 3: I also wonder.
Speaker 2: If that's just going to bring back already he's always that, Oh my god, imagine if it was sore On. He just wants to tub people into dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: By the way, not Lord of the Rings, and so like a terradact people, Pterodactyl will people into eve of dinosaurs instead of Krakatza. Is it Magneto something, because, like you know, I'm thinking about the rogue Maganio connection for the he has amazed there what we know about it. I wonder if it's something where, you know, unintentionally his energy or his you know, he's his iron molecules when he was disintegrated, we're able to take him back. But I would say a couple of episodes without Magneto does seem a little short for impact. But at the same time, they are telling truncated type stories and I don't think it's the person that we've all been waiting to come back, because I think that's the next episode. Do you mean Gambit. You don't think it's Gambit returning.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's Gambit returning in this episode because I think that the title of the next episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go. Let's let's go to the next episode, dead Man, the dead Man's Hand. The log line is the X Men confront a ghost from their past. So the dead man's hand is of course like a famous uh poker hand than while Bill Hilcock Hiccock was holding when he was shot in the back. And the card imagery very clearly I think points to Gambit, as you say, whose whole thing is turning playing cards into energy bombs?
Speaker 2: But I love that kind of that specific context you just gave there, which is what I always love about talking about this stuff. But like that is also very interesting to me because then I'm like, Okay, well what does that mean? Like is this representative of like is this actually Gambit? Or is this a version of Gambit that's coming back to blame them for their past?
Speaker 3: Like is this gonna be zombie Gambit? Like is zombie? Is this gonna be Gambit?
Speaker 2: The Horseman, which is I think something people had wondered about.
Speaker 3: Is it gonna be Magne. Oh, the Horseman.
Speaker 2: I doubt that one, but I think it would be what do you say.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I mean the producers have said that that mister le Beau would continue to have a big impact, so it certainly points to him returning. Yeah, I do wonder if he can't just come back and it's okay.
Speaker 3: No, it's gonna have to be traumatizing.
Speaker 1: Which makes me wonder if Sinister was depowered. But what does that mean? Like, he this is a guy who would have like multiple clones of himself, like waiting in the wings, and I do and he's unless like uploaded his memory to a computer and still be able to make clones and everything.
Speaker 3: You're so right, like, what does it even mean?
Speaker 1: So I'm wondering if he's now working for a bad guy, and if the bad guy is either Sinister or if he becomes a horseman of apocalypse.
Speaker 2: The Gambit horseman thing has been one of the biggest kind of wants that people have had for a while, and I do think as well, right, that's I'm trying to work out. Maybe death I think it's a bit on the nose. But at the same time, in the comics Rogan Death have a really interesting connection, So that.
Speaker 3: Could be really cool. It could also be I think it.
Speaker 2: Could be quite heartbreaking to see him come back essentially as like War and just have him be weaponized by Apocalypse so he's not like that loving remy le Beau and then they have to kind of push him as a as a thing.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm interested.
Speaker 2: I'm interested to see where they'll go because they've changed stuff from the comics, Like they're very chill with kind of what they do adapt and what they don't adapt. But they've been pretty tight with Rise of Apocalypse, so I wouldn't be surprised if he came back as.
Speaker 1: Death okay, and then finally Survival of the Fittest. Now, this and the log line is the X Men are pushed a limit when their past comes back to haunt them. This is I mean, that's literally Apocalypse's credo, that's his whole vibe. So this is where we would close the chapter on Apocalypse. Whatever that means.
Speaker 2: What do you think that looks like for this season if we look at what we're looking what we know about the other episodes, because that's kind of like, I feel like it's not going to go back to ancient Egypt, right like they did that. They're chopped up with that, like where do they face Apocalypse? I mean, it would be pretty cool if this ended on like New Year's Eve nineteen ninety nine or something, you know, like some real kind of like huge moment in history that kind of can play into the end of an era. But I'm interested to know if it's going to be very very on the mental plane. Is it gonna be a physical fight? Is it gonna have twenty five X Men?
Speaker 1: I bet it's gonna be a physical fight if I had to guess. Apocalypse now, understanding that the X Men tried to trick him into not becoming powerful, dedicates his life not only to like you know, surviving you know, evolution and evolution creating the strongest, but like destroying the X Men, and so then maybe he goes with the timeband technology. He goes early. He's a younger, less maybe slightly less capable version of himself, like not the you know, yeah thousand version, not the nineties version of Apocalypse, but like a slightly younger but you know, still very powerful, but not like as worldwise version of Apocalypse goes like straight to the nineties to try and defeat the X Men.
Speaker 3: And the teenage vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that, Like he almost like he doesn't wait it out long enough.
Speaker 1: And then maybe he fails somehow, But I'm not, oh sure, Hylan, this would be where Onslaught would would come into place.
Speaker 2: Would I would also say, I think that you're right there, because you know what, I think, if we look at their past comes back to haunt them.
Speaker 3: Obviously that's Apocalypse's whole vibe. He's a time guy.
Speaker 2: But who else is a time guy who's also in a different version of Apocalypse's ship.
Speaker 3: It's Nathan.
Speaker 2: So I think that the finale is gonna probably have Cable come in and save the day, or Cable's connection with ship at least all him to kind of control or connect with Apocalypse Ash. And also we haven't seen like full full crazy Cable in like after we've met him as Nathan, Like we've only seen the old version. We've seen Nathan, but we haven't really kind of seen we saw him start to get those powers.
Speaker 3: But I think this is going to be really cool.
Speaker 2: Could also be a very emotional moment, you know, with Scott and Jean kind of seeing their son fight Apocalypse become person that he was always meant to be. Could be interesting there if we also get some more Rachel moments. So yeah, I could see them bringing it home quite nicely, but I do worry about that fragmentation. I feel like episode five needs to feel like it's kinda it needs to feel like there's at least connective.
Speaker 3: Tissue where we can go.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, you know, even like the first season did some quite good stuff with like oh that was a documentary, or you were watching this on TV it was a news report, you know, I feel like we need a little bit more of that inconnected Where are all the X Men now?
Speaker 3: And that's because before we didn't know where they work? They were lost in time.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, I think five can kind of bring that home a bit before we start to deal with all this insane stuff that we just talked about.
Speaker 1: So former showrunner Bodomeo, Yeah, stated online, and so take this with whatever grain of salt you want to take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're own serving of salt.
Speaker 1: That there was a tenth episode of the show, but that it was scrapped and in that tenth episode is where he would have introduced on slot for the tenth episode. Huh, what does that mean? Does that mean we move on slot up? And why was it scrapped?
Speaker 2: He?
Speaker 3: Is it code with episode nine?
Speaker 2: Like? Is that?
Speaker 3: Why did they condense them?
Speaker 2: Or are they waiting for episode the next season which we've seen how the shows do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I wonder why they pulled the episode, right, he must have. I don't know, too many like big swings that would have too many deaths. I'm not sure why do that?
Speaker 3: I'm I know, I'm very interested. I gotta know.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, Jason, it's absolutely crazy when you really think about it, how little we know about what.
Speaker 3: Went on with the Beau Deomeo of it all.
Speaker 2: Well, that's still go that EP credit here, like Anthony Bresna Khan write that book man, like we will read it like we.
Speaker 3: All need to know because it's one of the most unique hiring and firings of all time.
Speaker 2: And the fact that he is still out there just talking about the show of stuff and his name is still on it, and it seems like people accept that he is still creatively involved.
Speaker 3: It's so unique, it's so unusual.
Speaker 1: That's why it's hard to judge. He has been very forthcoming online about this stuff that happened, but it's also unclear like how much of that is true, how much of that his his own lens on events.
Speaker 2: Exactly, because Disney is not the kind of company that's just going to be doing like rebuttal letters constantly. You know, they say their thing and they tell you what they want and you do it or you don't do it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: But it's very interesting, Like he clearly never signed an NDA about the production at least. No, he's not in the season of the he's not in the show about the making of the first season, which was so weird when you watched it, right, so it's so unique.
Speaker 1: So he does He did go on to say that like his version, Marvel thought his version was too dark, which I guess would and he didn't mention like the that there would be an evil Cyclops in his version. I don't know if that's you.
Speaker 3: Know, kind of like Basilisk goes like.
Speaker 1: A situation, so I you know, I don't know, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I will say, weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very very weird. So clearly Onslaught was slated to appear, and certainly.
Speaker 2: And it's obviously being set up, like you clocked it Ian clock. It was a first thing both of you said to me immediately. It was like this is onslaught, Like definitely, so.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing that's going to be again the big bag. But how they end the Apocalypse storyline, I do not know. It's been right, it's been a very kind of It's been a season that has been lurching from storyline to storyline. One thing about season one is despite the fact that they did pull from very streamlinked, yeah, there was a through line that was very strong, and this has felt less that, although to be fair, we are only halfway through.
Speaker 2: This, and also I do I also want to say as well, like this is we are talking about this as an animated series in a way that we don't.
Speaker 3: Talk about a lot of other cartoons.
Speaker 2: Because the first season was really like an accessible smash it pressed h TV show, right. I think this almost suffers sort of from a Wicked for Good problem, which is like these stories are really really dense and weird, and it's like everyone knew that Wicked for Good was always going to kind of struggle because part two you have to just continue the thing.
Speaker 3: You can't tell your whole owned story.
Speaker 2: Whereas what they did that was so great with season one is if you'd never watched it or read any X Men, you could just start the show and understand what happened.
Speaker 3: I do not feel like people could do that with season two.
Speaker 2: But you also can't do that with a lot of season two's of any show, you know, So I'm interested to see if they can pull it off. But I mean, I also do think it's like a feat of great animation and like it's cool to see.
Speaker 1: All the show. I guess I'm just wondering, like when I look at these titles and log lines, like we mentioned it earlier, is weaponex lies and DVDs a battle or does it tie into Apocalypse exact danger dot exc How does that tie back to the Apocalypse story? It's obviously the.
Speaker 2: Lares is involved, but we don't know how that connects to that because that was not she was not lost in the time slip right.
Speaker 1: Right, So you could you could kind of assume that strangeland Savage Heart, the dead Man's Hand, and Survival of fit Is all go back to Apocalypse. But like, are we taking a two episode break in the middle of a nine episode season to do other things? Or do they all tie into apocalypse somehow. That's the part of it that I don't quite It's hard.
Speaker 3: I don't see it at the moment.
Speaker 2: I don't see it the moment, but I'm interested to see where they go with it. Jason, from those episode titles, which one are you most excited to see going forward?
Speaker 1: Oh, Man, Danger dot EXX, Because yeah, I knew I was like that.
Speaker 2: I think that definitely is mine. I also love a Savage Land story. We've gotten to see like Rogue in a Savage Land outfit and stuff, but I would love to see a little bit of dinosaur action, you know, a little spend a bit of time there. I also would love if, like you said, it was some random character like Kzar or like some really I would love if it wasn't just Magneto, you know. Or maybe it's like Magneto has a clone of himself and I love that kind of weird stuff. But yeah, I'm very excited just because I think it's fun. When they give these little breadcrumbs like this is a great way to get excitement going. Like the Reddit threads are crazy over the titles, all the art, all the websites are running the titles like this, is the kind of comic book fun stuff that we love.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of funny that coming.
Speaker 2: Off this episode with the post credit scene and the title reveals I'm actually feeling more excited about this season than I was just at the end of episode four Theory Life Same Okay.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Extra Vision, We're diving into the honesty and more House in the Dragon and more X men. That's it for this episode. There for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason up You and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator.