Speaker 1: Hey, Fanerritos, we are back with part two of our interview with Christine Laken. We had so many topics to cover with Christine, and we all know how hard it is for Jody and me to stay on topic and avoid careening this podcast off the rails. So with that, please welcome back.
Speaker 2: Christine's the behind the scenes stuff that you that like you haven't thought about.
Speaker 3: And you know, we all grew up.
Speaker 2: I mean you were a little bit older, but you know, I was five when I when we started the show, and Andrew was like ten and eleven. I mean we were little and literally grew up together. I mean I can remember thinking, you know, yeah, getting us in trouble do it? You know, all the stupid things that you do with your friends and your in like your classmates or whatever, like now you're doing it on set.
Speaker 4: And yeah, yeah, well that's wild.
Speaker 2: What has been one of your favorite memories so far from season one that you guys have recapped on the show.
Speaker 5: I think, well, talking about the title sequence was really insane because just you know, now, just thinking about the links that they went to make that happen and the fact that they even did that was wild. And then I think also, you know, the funny thing about watching it again is, yes, it's a show, and yes it's fantasy and all of this stuff, but we really love breaking down a lot of times with the fashion of what's happening in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: Oh that is our favorite. We go on tangents. Ab has had some She had a costume that looked like Missus trench Bull.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me tell oh.
Speaker 4: I am sure.
Speaker 5: And also, I mean, the lead of our show was this icon, this glamorous, right, beautiful woman and summers that everybody knew and she was that person. So it's also just really interesting to kind of see how that's that character of Carol sort of evolves and like, by the end of season one, she's a.
Speaker 4: Hairdresser, she's got six kids.
Speaker 5: She is making lunches in a full skirt suit, heels, pantyhose, waft hair at the whole frame and we just love But it's like it's a fantasy, It's like, but I love the idea, Like I can barely get out of my house in the morning to take my kids to camp.
Speaker 2: And come on right and we got bacon and eggs and everybody's dressed. The kids come down with their hair curled and styled.
Speaker 3: She just couldn't comb their own hair at that point, you know what I mean, like.
Speaker 4: Who did their hair?
Speaker 5: And I love the idea of people just sitting like a scene will begin and people are just sitting on the couch, three different people reading books and magazines right right right.
Speaker 2: And also that it's the tiniest couch ever ever, Yes, in a house with like, you know, six people at least, and there's only one one couch.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you a question about your set, because I remembered this also viscerally, just thinking through the logistics of how you would do rehearsals and film and stuff. Right, we had the stairs that led to nowhere right right, because I don't lead anywhere, there's not a second, but.
Speaker 2: There was there was usually like a bad thing that you could go down the back.
Speaker 4: Oh, you could go down the back.
Speaker 3: That was I think our earlier sets had that on Full House, but Fuller I think it just it ended and then you had to come back down the same way because just the way it was set up, the craft service was behind it or whatever.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, you seem to remember on Full House there was we could go we could go back and down the bed down, but we were usually told not to because his kids, because you don't do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But then you're up there and you're like you stomp up the steps or whatever, and you're all like like this, and then you're all like right like.
Speaker 5: And everybody's trying to shush each other. And then we were like writing on the walls.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I got kils writing on the walls.
Speaker 5: I mean six children, yeah, six like and from teenagers all the way down to like I think Josh Burn was five or six when the thing began.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it was just it was constant, just mayhem. Yeah, but in the most fun way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, because it was you guys have so many kids on that show.
Speaker 5: Thouands of thousands of kids.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, how old? So what was the age range when the show started?
Speaker 3: Like five to.
Speaker 5: Five to maybe sixteen, okay, fifteen or sixteen. I mean Stacy and Angela were actually almost the same age, but they played as if they were like one year apart.
Speaker 4: Ok And I think Brandon call was fourteen, maybe.
Speaker 5: I was twelve, Chris Casteele was ten, and Josh Byrne was I think five or six.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Yeah, did you guys do any schooling together? Did they group you by teenagers middle school, elementary or how did that work?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So we had one big trailer and three different school rooms. And the two girls were together, they were both in high school, and then myself and Brandon Call were together, and then the two little boys were together. And let me tell you, Brandon did not want to do anything. He was like constantly putting, you know, his magazines and like behind Shakespeare books like he was jt. He was like on the bean bag chair, like dozing off. And I was like going to this very hard like rep like Ivy Academy in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: I'm like like trying to get into honors classes.
Speaker 6: And like reading the Iliad, and He's just like, I mean, it was it was hilarious.
Speaker 4: It was just and then our teacher would be like, I'm going to get a cup of coffee. I'll be right back, right, and then he like get up and let.
Speaker 3: You know, right, remember five minutes and you were like.
Speaker 1: Everyone's scream as loud as you can, right, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, horses in actual classroom.
Speaker 3: Is that happen? You'd be like, I'll be right back, I have to go to the office.
Speaker 2: And it was you know, the other teacher had to be made aware because all of a sudden fires were going to break out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was so fun. It was just it was so fun.
Speaker 5: And we had a basketball hoop outside and we would go play you know, horse or Pig or whatever on our breaks. And then I had a Nintendo and we play like Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Yeah, and you know Sega Genesis and yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those were all of our like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I remember all of that so vividly from being on set and like, you know, making your room your own little spot.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember my mom having a great time decorating every year, or not every year, but like every couple of years.
Speaker 3: You know, she would let me pick a new theme for the room.
Speaker 4: So that's cute.
Speaker 2: Mickey and Mini, I think we did did like tropical one year. I had like a like a rainforest theme.
Speaker 4: I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you would have you had your dressing rooms on the stage, right, you were like in the stage yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You guys at Culvert were did you guys have you guys were in trailers.
Speaker 5: Know they were in the stage and moved to Warner Brothers and just like you guys, and yeah, they were in the stage. But but the school room was always for us in a trailer because we just had so many kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess we had We had like an extra room that was we had a couple of extra rooms that were the yeaho rooms, yeah, which then became the wardrobe room for Fuller House. Time we'd go upstairs to a wardrobe room, I'd be like, oh, like I studied forts right there, and I'm like, oh, I remember falling out of my chair right there because they kept tipping it over.
Speaker 3: I would tip it back and be told.
Speaker 4: Not to be the exact same stage for Fuller House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stage, Yeah, it was. It's a trip.
Speaker 1: We all we upgraded to the bigger dressing rooms as the adult.
Speaker 3: We've got the adult dressing rooms. So good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, no, okay, speaking Fuller.
Speaker 3: Were you supposed to do a role on.
Speaker 5: Fuller I was approached by Jeff in season two. I want to say, it's right when we were about to start Hollywood Darlings. Actually, I had just we had done our little pilot Sizzle.
Speaker 4: We had sold it and then I had a baby.
Speaker 5: We had my daughter. She was only maybe three months old. Yeah, and I got this call from Jeff from my manager saying, Jeff Franklin wants to meet with you and there's this role and he thinks you'd be great for it. And it's a meeting. Like it wasn't an audition, it was a meeting. So I was like all right, So I went and met with Jeff. We had a great meeting. He kind of told me what the role was, and I was like, I love this, you know.
Speaker 4: I would love to do this. And I had just had a.
Speaker 5: Baby, so I was also like, oh my god, going back to work, Like this is going to be a lot, but I can do this and like how you know, it'll be great and like nursing and the whole thing, but it's gonna be fine. And so meeting with great are like, okay, cool, We're going to send over a script. We have a table read coming up in a couple of weeks. It was for four episodes to start and then you know, possibly reoccurring from there.
Speaker 4: So I was stoked.
Speaker 5: And then about two days before the table read, I got a call from my manager saying, yeah, something happened.
Speaker 4: They're pushing the table read.
Speaker 5: I think there's some stuff with the script they want to rewrite, and it's just it's not going to happen tomorrow, just letting you know. I was like, okay, all right, just let me know, no problem. And then the next day happened and my manager calls and says, hey, I don't know how to tell you this, but you've been let go. And I was like, what do you mean and you said, yeah, they just they don't there, I can't get any details.
Speaker 4: Sounds like they're rewriting.
Speaker 5: They just said they're rewriting the character and they're not going to need you anymore. And I was like, what did I do wrong?
Speaker 4: I didn't even go to a table I didn't even get to it. You would like make sense if you went to the table read.
Speaker 5: And they were like, oh yeah, they were like yeah. It's like I wish I could, I wish I had more information, like I just don't. And it was so I mean, it was so strange. And I had a friend who was a writer on the show, and I kind of like reached.
Speaker 4: Out to her.
Speaker 5: I was like, hey, like, did I do something or did I just came get out in my head. She was like, I honestly have no idea. This is like above my pay grade. I wish I could give you more information. I'm really sad not to work with you.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That was about it. So a couple of weeks went by and I just like couldn't shake it. And you know, also, I think that idea that I just had a baby and I was like ramping.
Speaker 2: Up to hormones were like totally cooperating too, and they were like not at all telling you that you're, you know, a piece of.
Speaker 3: Again, and I went down.
Speaker 5: Was not great, especially when you just don't know, you don't have any clarity to what it could be.
Speaker 4: I don't really know what happened, but I have.
Speaker 5: I'll just give you some facts and you can put this together. Anyone can put this together any way they want.
Speaker 4: But this is just some facts of.
Speaker 5: What I do know that I think could have contributed to me possibly not doing that role. Seven years before that, I participated in a Funnier Die video that a friend of mine made, and at the time Funnier Die had just come out and at the time her Cameron had said some public things about the LGBTQ community, and yeah, and I didn't think I thought those were dentially very damaging to the LGBTQ community. And I was asked to participate with a bunch of other former child actors in this satirical video sort of calling out these these statements. It was it was funny, listen, it's it was a sad tire, you know. And sometimes I feel like, you know, you're very vocal, Joe to. You're an activist, and I've always admired you for having such a clear vision and such a loud voice. And in my life at times, I've tried to use humor to sort of, you know, pop that bubble of of discorder or maybe call call people out in like a you know, in a satirical way. And anyway, so I participated in it, and it went viral, and a bunch of other people in it and blah blah blah, and all I can think of.
Speaker 4: Is that.
Speaker 5: It created some bad blood, and seven years later I was not my presence was not wanted.
Speaker 4: That's maybe what I think.
Speaker 2: So should we do another funny or Die video? That's my question now, is that are we writing another funnier that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my friend, but you know, my friend, Virginia Williams, ended up doing that part and she was great, and I mean it was a bummer for me, It really was.
Speaker 4: I would have loved to have done that.
Speaker 2: Would it make you feel any better to know that you missed out on wearing an incredibly miserable, awful, uh like forty pound thing in like ninety something degree heat outside in Japan in the hottest humidist weather and just standing there in like a forty pound kimono like layers and layers that.
Speaker 3: We're yeah, we're.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember we were.
Speaker 2: All like holding ice packs under her like she was like, I'm gonna explode.
Speaker 3: It was awful, poor things.
Speaker 4: You know what's so funny?
Speaker 5: And this is and it's hilarious because I've known Virginia for a long time and and she's such a lovely person. Our kids actually were at the same preschool for a minute. But she had and I she had no idea that I even had like a history with that, and she got it. I was like, makes sense because Virginia and I have been down to the wire several times we've gone to network together and she always gets it, which is just so funny because we're actually not that much to light. Yeah, it's all in statuesque to me, and I don't know, it's just it's hilarious to me.
Speaker 4: She's like, you guys have.
Speaker 2: Very expressive faces, big eyes, are funny, you're comedy timing. Yeah, yeah, there's well, there's always those that was you know, that was me and Beverly when we were kids.
Speaker 5: It's always yeah, exactly like Bely Mitchell Mitchell, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's so weird like you you know, again, this business is one of those things where like you never quite know where you're going or what you know, how how it all turns out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, I it's like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I I'm sure it's everybody's prerogative to want or not want to work with someone I don't know. At the same time, I'm I feel like I have to stand up for people who maybe don't have a platform.
Speaker 4: Or a voice.
Speaker 5: Two or at least at least to be able to, you know, say I stand with you, and if I can do that, and what I feel is the most non threatening way. But maybe I feel like humor does does usually bind us together, but not everybody.
Speaker 4: You know, what I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I am always willing to make fun of myself and others.
Speaker 4: But you know, yeah, I love that about you.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's it's a talent when you can just make fun of yourself incessantly and also other people because life is not that serious.
Speaker 3: Well it is, but it's also not. But that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. Like, I mean, I know, like growing up in television and stuff, you.
Speaker 3: Sort of get this weird perspective.
Speaker 2: Of like you're under stress all the time to get this show done and it's a huge thing and there's all these people depending on it, and it's all this stuff and there's all this chaos. But like at the same time, you also kind of go like, but we're not, Like it's we're not. We're not you're in cancer, We're not. You know, it's gonna be okay, we're gonna make a show. It's gonna be we're gonna laugh. It may be better or worse than last week, and it'll be okay, you know, Like yeah, and you just sort of get used to this, like oh my god, it's all stressful, and then you're like that'll be right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 5: And you know the other thing, it's like I just took my kids out of the country for the first time and been a long Oh man, we had so much fun. I haven't been out of the country in over ten years. COVID and kids and whatever. I used to travel all the time. We went to London and we saw some friends there, and then we traveled south and went to Paris and I took them to Lisbon and it was really cool.
Speaker 2: Did they enjoy it? Now you did? How old are Georgia and Baylor.
Speaker 4: Now five and eight?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So people thought I was nuts taking my kids.
Speaker 4: Like we did. I was like, everybody's got.
Speaker 5: Their own rollaway bag and just everybody get your water bottle.
Speaker 4: Yep, be responsible, let's go.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's impressive, though, I don't Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It was uh and they did great.
Speaker 5: I have to say, like, all in all, didn't want to kill them, so so that was positive.
Speaker 3: There's still a little there's time for that, don't worry.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But what I did remember, and especially when you get out of your bubble, whether that's your work bubble or your LA bubble, even just your USA bubble by the way, is that the world is a big place, sure, and not everybody else is focused on the things that that are so dire in your immediate world, and the world is also like a really kind place.
Speaker 4: I think we can.
Speaker 5: Get stuck in these news cycles that feel like things are awful and chaotic and divisive and all of that, and I think what.
Speaker 3: We gravitate towards to read guys like ooh, that sounds terrible, what is that?
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 5: Yes, that negativity bias, that dichotomy, But I found it was it was really humbling, and it was really hopeful just connecting with people from different countries and chatting with them and just their innate kindness. And by the way, everybody speaks English and they speak their own language and most of them speak another language.
Speaker 3: So I know that's the Yeah, where are we really do ourselves? A disservice?
Speaker 4: That really missed a lot of both.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah what was your did your kids enjoy? Did they like enjoy the walking around or was it were they like.
Speaker 3: My legs?
Speaker 4: It was a little of both.
Speaker 2: I mean, I definitely like so I'm talking out of my ass, but but I from what I hear.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is a lot of walking, you know, which I would try to plan like one thing a day, like this, We're going to go do this bike tour of Paris. And we did this really cool bike tour and went all around and they would stop and tell you things about, you know, the French Revolution and Napoleon and blah blah blah amazing, and my kids were sort of like like looking around for ice cream and whatnot, like Napoleon. Not yes, but as long as you have like an ice cream in the future. They were usually pretty good about whatever the first event was. And then we did a ton of public transportation, like yes, we walked a lot, but we were on buses. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ways I write, I read public transit here in la sometimes I will take train places and yeah, which you know, people like you're crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm like it, we live in the city.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sit forty five minutes to go over to Hollywood Highland, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like yes, no, And like everyone in Europe, you know, and I would say a lot of times the upers and taxis are just not as reliable and true.
Speaker 2: It's a yeah, it's very different, and you get a lot of like the tourist traps where they'll be like, oh, we'll take you here, and they take you the most circuit in the screwed the longest thing, and then they're like, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this rickshaw, you owe me fifty bucks, right right, what right, I'm gonna get on the bus for like six So and it was great. You know, you get on these buses and you just like you see so much as you're just trying to get from like kind of one destiny for the other.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, it was it was awesome. I needed it so badly.
Speaker 5: I needed to just get out of my immediate comfort zone.
Speaker 4: And so what I.
Speaker 2: Hear you saying, though, is that our our glamping trip wasn't as good as your, and I am a little disappointed.
Speaker 3: I mean, I look branded pornhole, my friend.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, pillows with pillows.
Speaker 3: And eyes faces on it. I mean, come on, I did miss that was not in Europe.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 5: No, you're absolutely right not make that clear, because yeah, I'm sorry. I mean, I will say there were things about it. I did not have s'mores that were nearly as good, though, I will say that, yeah, a lot of gelato, not a lot.
Speaker 3: Of smores are a very American thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, you have two little ones, and it's so hard to be like, it's so hard to be working in this industry anyway and feel like a sane person that has like a life but also a career.
Speaker 3: I mean, you seem to do so well at.
Speaker 2: Balancing stuff with your kids and your hut. I mean, I love Brandon, He's so great, and I just wondered, like, do you you feel like you have a pretty good.
Speaker 3: Balance in your life? Because I was. I always like to ask that question.
Speaker 2: Of moms of my friends because I always feel like the answers always know and that we need to all just realize that there. I don't think there is a yes, that's my opinion.
Speaker 5: But I think I balanced like the time that I give to my kids and they're the school community and what I try to do to be there for them, and.
Speaker 4: I think I do okay with that and work.
Speaker 3: You're tried at volunteering at your kids' school. I just got to do the fun.
Speaker 2: I volunteered at Christine's school and did uh what was the Storytellers?
Speaker 4: It was so great. I love that program so much.
Speaker 5: As I was a mentor to one of the young writers and brought Jody in with a bunch of other fun friends. Writer Strong did it. My friend John Quertasty.
Speaker 3: Is there from from.
Speaker 5: Yeah Yeah, and it's and then they all improv basically and put on the show for the kids, and it was just I mean, it's fabulous.
Speaker 4: I do get a lot out of that.
Speaker 5: Where I don't think I balance well though, is in my personal time. I feel like I'm either working or hitting, like it's either work or kids stuff, work, mom stuff. And then I am always trying to shoehorn a little bit of date night or like you know, some kind of alone time. But I can't tell you it's so hard for me to read a book for pleasure. It is, it is. I don't often I feel like when I say things like, oh no, I have time for myself, like I went to that pilates class last Wednesday, and I'm just like, am I actually saying that?
Speaker 4: Like that?
Speaker 3: Like self Careah?
Speaker 4: Is the pilates class? That's it?
Speaker 3: Well, it's something, it's something.
Speaker 4: Something, But I'm not great at that. I'm not well.
Speaker 2: I think we usually tell ourselves that personal time is the first and most easily expendable things that we can get rid of, which is like, well I don't need that for me.
Speaker 3: I've got to do things for other people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, I see you so involved with your kids like schools and all that stuff that I just always wonder.
Speaker 4: Like how does she do it?
Speaker 3: But I mean truly you're Yeah, now you're you're you're a busy woman.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you, I am. I you know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I sometimes I feel like it was I like what came first? You know, this sort of sort of like was I so busy as a child that it just from going back and forth to Atlanta working on the show, going to going back to like a real school and trying to fit in with friends there, that that just kind of set me up for this life of constantly multitasking.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think going things it feels so normal, right.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely the same way, And I think some sometimes some of us are brains just like like I'm better when i have like five to ten things going on at once, and if I'm left like still too long.
Speaker 3: That's the struggle for me. But I've been trying to.
Speaker 2: Get better at it because I have recognized that like maybe this is a pattern that I've had my whole life that like, maybe isn't always that grazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think I learned as child stars to like put our own needs aside, like oh I have a headache, Oh I don't feel this, or I want to do this or you know whatever, I that doesn't I have to put that over here and go and do this. And so I think that's when you learn to do that as a kid, which is you know, I mean, we all have to learn how to do it, but I think, you know, child stars, we definitely put you know, all of our stuff over here. Yes, Yeah, I think it can be kind of a hard pattern to undo as you get a little bit grad and be like, no, I actually deserve some time.
Speaker 4: Yes, saying no can be a superpower. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if I'm not busy, it doesn't mean that the world's crumbling.
Speaker 5: That's totally correct. Yeah, I'm I'm right there with you. Yeah, that's a struggle for me too. And when I'm not busy, I'm like, oh, no, I guess I could just sit here and have an existential crisis, or I could or you could be moving and anistential crisis.
Speaker 3: You know, there you go. You can you can do both. Don't deny yourself.
Speaker 4: You can do exactly.
Speaker 3: Do you see.
Speaker 2: Yourself staying in this business for like years to come.
Speaker 4: Whatever wherever the path we do, I do.
Speaker 5: I feel like every year that goes by, I just get It's like I just get deeper and deeper in and then I'm like, at some point going to be on the horizon of turning fifty, And what am I like really like at that point? Am I?
Speaker 4: What am I careers?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I just I'm so I'm so deep in it now when you love doing it like there's nothing doing it?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 5: I love it and the only thing I could see, like sometimes I have these crazy retirement fantasies of living somewhere on like a ranch or a farm.
Speaker 3: That's time too.
Speaker 5: I have like a very very hard left turn from living in Los Angeles and being busy all the time.
Speaker 2: To be that's my that's my plan is to go and and just do nothing on a porch zite nothing, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And maybe make things off lant. I don't know, you know, teach dance in a small community.
Speaker 2: So soon, I know, I know I always say that maybe it's a maybe it's a vacation.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's like, a, yeah, just need a vacation. No, I don't need to run I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, maybe right, but it sounds nice, But I don't know, it's a yeah, it's hard to say. I don't think I see myself living in LA the rest of my life. Probably, you know, reevaluate that once my kids are out of the house, and yeah, you know, somewhere else. But but I mean, god, you know, let's hopefully I'm still working and loving what I do. And you know, maybe that means I get to to travel here to work or wherever to and I can go live on the farm somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Well, we can have we can start building our commune.
Speaker 4: Up, let's do it. Yeah, I love that. I do.
Speaker 2: Oh I am Look, we're in We're in building. We're gonna start burying some uh you know those big like metal shipping containers and yeah, we're gonna we're just we're gonna go all out, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Should we just go back to the glamping spot and live there, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: But it could be too many people, you know what I mean. I think we might want a little distance. I think we might want a little distance so we can. It will be the former child starfound.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine? It's like the Surreal Life, but but worse.
Speaker 4: It's amazing, It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's well, that's what they do with with old child stars once they get a certain age. They literally put them out to pasture and they show them off somewhere, Yeah, to the farms.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, Christina, if you could say one thing to your twelve year old self that just got cast on step by step, what would you tell her?
Speaker 4: Good question.
Speaker 5: I would probably say, this is going to be one of the greatest highlights of your life, and enjoy every second of it and learn as much.
Speaker 4: As you can.
Speaker 5: And I think I did all of those things. I really had such an idyllic experience. And I know that's not everyone's experience, but I did have an absolutely idyllic experience. We had amazing stars, amazing producers, amazing people, and they were generous and they they taught me a lot and and I am so grateful for it. And I think too, you know, even like the twelve year old part of me was just thrown into all of it and absorbing it and just there to have fun. Nobody it didn't it wasn't a job to me. It was just it was just this moment of you know, moving forward. I feel like the nineteen year old version of me was like, oh god, now what you know? And I feel like that's honestly where I struggled even a little more in trying to decide, like and maybe reconciling with not every job after that is going to be another one of that. Like we all have peaks and valleys. There's there's the high crests, and then there's the lows, and there's all the stuff in between, and it's all good. It doesn't mean that we have again the psychotomy of like, well, this was the biggest thing you ever did, and then you gotta be real. It's just it's this one long thing, and I think, you know, I think that for me was a little bit of a struggle in my early twenties, trying to figure out where I fit in and not really knowing where that where that was. Was I supposed to be in teen comedies? Was I supposed to be like trying to get another series, was I you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was hard, Yes, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming off a series as a young person, I think can be I mean as anyone, because you just have been that's been what you've done for however long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can be hard.
Speaker 2: But I will say you have done a pretty damn good job at becoming an amazing human and being really freaking talented along the way.
Speaker 3: So thanks to its to you, Naked Laky.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And just so that people know, we call I we I call you Naked Laky because when we were doing Hollywood Darlings, it seemed like you're you always had some ridiculous outfit and I was like, do.
Speaker 3: You have pants on?
Speaker 5: What is I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean it was Jenny, Jenny, my style is amazing.
Speaker 3: I know. I wasn't said in a bad way, it was I was like, damn, okay.
Speaker 6: Jenny was constantly putting me in these tiny shorts and she'd be.
Speaker 4: Like girl, girl, yes, I mean yes, and I'd be like are you sure.
Speaker 5: She's like yeah, okay, and I would have like the smallest clothes on. But you know, we had worked on I did a lot of like hosting. That's another part of my crazy career. I did a bunch of hosting and I used to host this wrap around show for I was like the Andy Cohen of c MT for a hot minute.
Speaker 4: There was a show called Party Down South. Do you know this?
Speaker 5: It was like it was basically the Jersey Shore made by four nine to five same people, but it was like the country Bupkins version, right yep. And I was like the Andy Cohen that would do the like reunion shows.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, this was the most fun job. Can I just say I loved it. I loved watching the show. I loved knowing everything behind the scenes. I loved having the earpiece in and being like, hey, y'all, welcome to Party on South.
Speaker 5: Were you here on Christine Lake And we're going to get down to the you know whatever? And then they'd be like in my ear and I'd be like talking to them.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god, I love this.
Speaker 4: It was great.
Speaker 5: But that's where I met Jenny and she would put me in crazy outfits for that, so I was just, you know, love it.
Speaker 4: I was. I was in it at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you look fabulous.
Speaker 2: So thanks well, Christine, thank you so much for coming on the show today.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, you guys, thanks for having me. It's always good to chat with you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I can't wait to see is there what tell us all the things you're doing where we can find you, where our guests are, our guests, our listeners can find you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what you're up to where they can check you out next.
Speaker 5: Of course, so you can find me on Instagram at Yo lake In.
Speaker 4: That's still my name.
Speaker 5: Someone else has my actual name, so I have to.
Speaker 4: Be Yo lake In anyway.
Speaker 5: And you can find our podcast at Keenan and lake In podcast is Keenan and like can give you deja vu. We are wrapping up season one, but you can find it everywhere you get your podcast, and and we'll be starting season two like I said, in the fall. And then currently I'm wrapping up a couple of projects. I have a short that we're editing, hopefully going to film festivals next year. And got a couple of audiobooks out right now that are There's one called Just for Summer by Abby Jimenez and it is Gamebusters. So if you are on the Wilby list, you can hear me narrating this, uh this tale.
Speaker 2: So you were the newscaster on Family Guy.
Speaker 3: I just have yes because I love Family Guy.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm Joyce Kenny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a fantastic experience, so fun so fun.
Speaker 2: Well, we love hearing your voice, Christine, and thank you so much for coming on the show and coming on our glamping trip.
Speaker 3: And you know there will be more. Who knows. I can't wait will be next?
Speaker 4: Put me out to pastor.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, our next advent will be on the child Star Ranch. That's perfect, and you can be the Andy Cohen of it, and we'll give you an earpiece and you you can stage fake little reunion shows and that'll be how we entertain ourselves.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Child Actor Pasture, Ristine.
Speaker 3: We have perfect it's great.
Speaker 4: I'm here, I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be like a it'll be like a dude ranch or Child's Hey, dude ranch.
Speaker 3: There, and yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, I actually think someone might might approach you about this.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go write this idea down and trademarket right now.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and if.
Speaker 5: If there's some sort of repelling involved, we could get Beverly Mitchell to do it, because she likes the adventures.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: She will make her We'll make her repel to get the water or something.
Speaker 2: We can just yeah, we'll just make her repel everywhere we'll just constantly be dropping her great.
Speaker 3: All right, we love you, Christine, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Yes, thanks for having me guys.
Speaker 2: By bye all right, And that was part two of our interviews with Christine Laken, our dear friend and just so hilarious, so talented. I absolutely love her friend that I've had since childhood, and it's, uh, it's fun.
Speaker 3: To get to do all this stuff throughout adulthood together too.
Speaker 2: So thank you guys so much for listening. Make sure and follow us on Instagram at Howard Podcast. You can send us an email at Howard podcast at gmail dot com. Make sure you're liking and subscribing to the podcast wherever you're listening to it on whatever platform, so that you can get all the newest episodes as soon as they come out, because we know that you're just waiting to listen to them. And uh, yeah, we will see you next time, you guys. Because remember the world is small, but the lakey is naked.
Speaker 3: Yes, there we go. She'll appreciate it, she'll love it, ye