Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, Welcome back to Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I and Mike Spofford, joined as always by my trusted colleague Weston Hodkoitz and Wes. We are back about three months ago I think was our last show, and with this one we will kick off season number nine, season number nine.
Speaker 2: Putting up with me for eight years. Can you believe.
Speaker 1: That season number nine of Packers Unscripted as twenty twenty four gets rolling here, we have a lot to catch up on as far as a very very busy off season for the Green Bay Packers. But I'm not going to go in chronological order here because where I want to start is with what turned out to be a wild and crazy and frenetic first forty eight hours or so of free agency in the middle of March, during which time Aaron Jones, David Baktiari, and Devondre Campbell were no longer Green Bay Packers, but two of the top prizes on the free agent market at their respective positions became Green Bay Packers. And of course I'm talking about running back Josh Jacobs and safety Xavier McKinney. What were your thoughts on how those first couple days of free agency unfolded.
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting thing about the NFL, Michael, and the free agency time in particular, is that you can never plan for anything. What you expect to happen isn't always what happens, and honestly, very rarely does. You were the one in Indianapolis listening to Brian Godkuz him talking about you know, we're expecting Aaron Jones back, trying to make something work. But even though you know Aaron is such a beloved player here, you can tell them how to respect the coaches, the front office, everybody has for him. It's a game of finances, and it's a game of money and Aaron doing what's best for himself and his family in the Packer trying to do what's best for them moving forward. So if you would have ever told me a scenario in which not only is Aaron Jones not going to be a Green Bay Packer in twenty twenty four, but Josh Jacobs, one year removed from being the NFL's rushing champion, Yeah, an all pro, a two time Pro bowler, he ends up being the one that emerges out of free agency, I would have told you you're crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean when you.
Speaker 3: Look at it, Michael, the fact that it had been over fifteen years since the last time, actually over almost twenty five years since the last time the Packers had signed a running back as an unrestricted free agent. There has been a homegrown aspect to this thing. The Packers went out, they found a guy three years younger than Aaron, coming off a down season with the Raiders, but a lot of things that were working against him, a lot of inconsistency in that offense, that offensive line, the change with Josh McDaniel's mid season, and now he's here in Green Bay hoping that the stability really kind of propels him back towards being that all Pro running back that he was in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were down just a couple of weeks after the Josh Jacobs signing. You were down in Florida at the owners meeting, and you heard from Matt Lafleur. And as much as Matt Lafleur is sad that Aaron Jones is no longer a part of the Packers offense, he's awfully excited about getting Josh Jacobs in this offense. And both Jacobs when he spoke to the media for the first time after signing his contract and Lafleur speaking with the media down in Florida. They both talked about being more involved in the passing game, not just being that you know, that bellcow running back, the workhorse that's going to get you know, the twenty to twenty five carries a game, but it's about utilizing him even more in the passing game. Now. It's not that Jacobs hasn't been He averaged I believe, forty receptions or so per season during his years with the Raiders, But that's an aspect. I think that that Jacob's welcomes and Lafleur welcomes as far as you know, getting him the ball in different ways, that.
Speaker 3: In different ways, and you've seen the last few years the way the Packers use those running backs in Matt Leafloor when you get the multiple options. Certainly, we've talked numerous times about the pony package and being able to get two backs on the field and how being able to manipulate a defense with multiple looks. But the thing that's the most incredible thing to me about Jacobs is he has forty six rushing touchdowns and not a single receiving touchdown during his career, I mean everything. As much as he's been a belcow type back, a guy that averages three hundred touches a season throughout his five seasons with Las Vegas, he hasn't had any of those receiving touchdowns.
Speaker 2: I think that's going to change in this offense.
Speaker 3: And as I wrote about in the pre draft picture series that we're currently running on our website, it's not just going to be him. They were able to bring back A J. Dylan. They also have Emmanuel Wilson coming back. There is a sense of familiarity with this backfield, despite the fact there's a new guy that's on the top of the depth chart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you look at the other big free agent signing for the Packers, this dovetails very nicely into the the other really really big piece of news in the offseason, which is that Jeff Hafley has been hired from his job as the head coach at Boston College to be Matt Laffer's new defensive coordinator. Some other assistant coaches on the defensive side, some new faces are coming in to Green Bay as well.
Speaker 2: But when you.
Speaker 1: Look at you Halflee and what he has said about his defense and the types of players that he's looking for, and specifically when it comes to how he wants to utilize safeties in the back end of the defense and what he wants what he's going to demand as the defensive coordinator out of that position. Xavier McKinney, to use an overused phrase, checks all the boxes. And it was not a surprise at all really, even though the Packers aren't normally this involved on the opening days of free agency. You have to go back to kind of twenty nineteen for the last time that these sort of signings occurred. But Xavier McKinney is a guy that the Packers feel not only fits this defense that Hafley's going to run very very well, but also as a player that I think Halfley is expecting to showcase from a playmaking standpoint and give him opportunities to make some game changing plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And as Brian Gudikuin's told us in Orlando, I mean it was kind of a question there whether or not either him or Josh Jacobs would even make it to the.
Speaker 2: Free agent market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the option with the franchise tag when McKinney was there, He's you know, Brian said, it himself. I mean, that is an unusual player to be available. I almost liken it to the Shaquille O'Neill effect. Not to put those that lofty of expectations on McKinney, but it's very rare that you see a guy that hass been as productive as he's been and is only twenty four years old when he reaches unrestricted free agency. I mean, as Brian said, right from the get go, they feel like his next three years are going to be his best seasons in the National Football League. We haven't even seen the best version of this guy yet. So when you're paying top dollar for a safety, it's one thing. Packers did it back in twenty nineteen with Adrian Amos when they were really switching things up with that defense the first time. Well, now you not only get McKinney, who I think buy and large everybody would agree was the top target for safeties on the market, you're getting him before he's even reached his prime. And I feel like for the Green Bay Packers, what they need from that safety position, all the ebbs and flows that they went through last year, injuries, inconsistency, if they're going to switch to this type of scheme where maybe you're gonna see a little bit more of the single high. Look again, you need a guy that is going to be able to handle that patrolling of center field. You're gonna need a guy that's gonna be able to close quickly to the football. Jeff Hafley said it in his opening news conference. He wants a guy that's going to race things on defense, and Xavier McKinney definitely does that.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that stuck out to me the most and continues to stick out to me the most with regard to McKinney is that last season he had one hundred and sixteen tackles, and the various know pro football focused metrics and whatnot, the analyzes that are out there said that he only missed seven tackles. One hundred and sixteen tackles and only seven misses. And then when McKinney spoke to reporters for the first time after signing his contract, I actually I tried to ask him in a kind of roundabout way, well, what makes a good tackler? Like, how did you get so good at this when you can get one hundred and sixteen and only miss seven over the course of an entire season, and his immediate response was, the seven is too many. I've got to get that number down. This is a guy who's one of the better tacklers in the league, and yet he doesn't look at himself that way. He looks at it as I still have to get better. If I'm in a position to make a tackle, I've got to make it. And miss tackles they're going to happen in the NFL. They happen to everybody. I think we've seen over the last couple of years that the Packers have had a few too many of them, and not just one person or one position, but it's been kind of an across the board thing. Things go have gone a little sour on defense, and I think having a guy like McKinney as as a leader, as a veteran guy who's who's been there and done that, and then with this transition to the new defense, it seems like the right fit for everything that halfway in the floor looking for.
Speaker 3: And it's a high wire act back there. Even if you're playing too high safety, it's not just that if you miss a tackle, it's what are the replication the ramifications of that mistackle? And that's where I think when you mentioned a couple times, green Bay got kind of burned by that last year. It's not an easy position to play. For whatever reason, the NFL is kind of downgraded a little bit. People aren't willing to spend the money on safety like maybe they were ten years ago. But you see the value in it when you look at a player like Xavier McKinney. He's versatile and he's sort of that five tool player that you really need back there. He can, he can hit, he can hit the you know, the running back. He can be able to cover downfield by himself if he needs to. You saw those interceptions he had towards the end of last seasons against Philly. There's some instinctual things that he does along with that speed that he carries that's gonna keep him in this thing for a long time. And I don't know what exactly is gonna happen alongside of him. The Packers still have a big hole there as the safety two spot. Anthony Johnson Junior is gonna come back, maybe the addresses through the draft, maybe there's a free agent out there that they like. But whoever that is, you have a pretty good feeling that McKinney's gonna be able to work with that individual and help bring them along, much like what Adriannamus did with Darnell Savage in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to dive a little bit deeper into the switch at defensive coordinator with Halfley coming from Boston College. Numerically, it's about going from a three to four to a four to three, right. We don't want to overplay that necessarily. It does turn guys like Rashan, Gary Preston Smith, Lucas Fans into more traditional defensive ends. We will see if they play with their hand on the ground or whether they still stand or yeah, yeah, or maybe or maybe it's a you know, it's a combination of things based on what package you know, down in distance, situation, all of that. The what I am most curious about. I'll ask you what you're most curious about to see develop in this first year of Jeff Haffley's defense. For me, it's how is how does Jeff Hafley go about utilizing an athlete and a talent like Quay Walker. Because we saw Walker make some pretty good strides from his rookie year to his second year. We saw him in Week one of his second season get a pick six that Soldier field. But then, you know, not that I'm not saying he had a bad season. He was better in year two than I thought than in year one. But we didn't see a whole lot of the splash plays, the flashy stuff, you know, the game changing type of plays. But kuay Walker is the kind of athlete in the middle of a defense who can make those kind of plays. And I am very curious to see just how Halflee in his defensive assistance go about trying to showcase quay Walker at the linebacker level, as we had talked about with McKinney at the safety level.
Speaker 3: I just felt like it was one of the questions I asked Matt Lafleur after the season about when he was making this change where Joe Berry is out as defensive coordinator is looking for somebody else. Was he specifically looking to go to a four to three or was that a byproduct of the coordinator that you're picking. And it was a byproduct, is what he said. He wasn't necessarily looking to make a change. But when I look at where Green Bay was last year, I look at their personnel there wasn't a lot there where I said, Man, they really got to fix this. They have to do this differently. I just think sometimes when you're not getting the results, you need to switch things up. And I feel like this switch and again, I'm a guy that you can read. You've read all my stuff for eight years. Yeah, I love the three four. That's where I I've always thought. But with some of the gap issues they had last year, some of the times where they got gashed with the run, I think sometimes you do need to try something different. So when I look at kway Walker bringing it back to your original point, I just think that this is something that's going to compliment him. Well, he's going to be able to read those defenses. He's going to be able to act instinctually. He has a rapport there already with Isaiah McDuffie, who in some form or fashion is going to be incorporated into this defense depending on what they do with that other inside backer spot.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 3: But overall, I feel like the construct is there. I feel like the bodies are there. I feel like the defensive line they got a lot of production from that last year. The defensive line had almost half their sacks of those forty five, with Kenny Clark having a career high, Davonte Wyatt having five and a half, and when you have somebody like kway Walker who also can contribute in that fashion, I just feel like there's going to be a lot for Halfway to utilize there. And he was even asked about it during his original press conference and he said, I mean, one of the first things you do is a defensive coordinator come into Green Bay, you look at kway Walker and you like what you see. And I think the scheme overall is something that's definitely going to benefit him in the long run.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When I look at these young guys on the Packers defense, obviously Kenny Clark is going to do his thing, Preston Smith is doing his thing. Rareshaun Gary has certainly come into his own, even though he missed half a season, you know, with a torn acl When I look at the young guys on this defense, the quay Walker, quay Walker and Devonte Wyatt and Isaiah McDuffie, I think if Hafley wants to have these young defenders in attack mode, not react mode. He wants he wants to get something established where the defense, the defense is attacking more often than it's reacting. You're going to have to play some situations reactionally on defense. That's the nature of the sport. It's the nature of the game. But the more times you can create situations and create opportunities to be on the attack and with as much young blood, so to speak, as the Packers are going to have on the defensive side of the ball. That's kind of in a general sense where I see this.
Speaker 3: Going, yeah, and I agree with you, and I think that's going to be exciting because we'll preview the draft a little bit later and we'll get going on how these things are going to shape up and the twenty four landscape is going to be. But Michael, with how many guys stepped up last season, with how many rookies contributed right away, I didn't go into this offseason thinking, man, green Bay has a lot of holes to fill, and they don't have a lot of draft picks. They don't have a lot of money. No, they have more money, they have more draft picks. Now, they still got to build depth. They still have to find guys that can challenge for position right away. They need to find that safety. But my goodness, Michael when you compare what this conversation was like when you and I came back for the first episode of Unscripted last year as opposed to where Green Bay is seating today, It's a night and day difference. There's been a lot of guys that have contributed to that. But I just feel like for Jeff Hafley coming in trying to implement his program, there are so many young stallions here for him to work with to hopefully build something that can become what everybody's expected this defense to be.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to go through other players that the Packers brought back, guys who left, will sort of analyze a little bit where that is. But for some sponsor business First, Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five. And at Cousin Subs, we have something for everyone like our Wisconsin Cheese curds, mac and Cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or Submonabwle Cousin Subs fifty plus years of better all right elsewhere in free agency, I'm just gonna rattle off kind of the names as far as who's gone and who's been brought back, as far as who has departed. The Green Bay Packers safeties Darnell Savage and Jonathan Owens, offensive lineman John Runyon and yosh Nyman, tight end Josiah Dguara, and running back Patrick Taylor re signed by the Green Bay Packers Keishawn Nixon, AJ Dillon, Eric Wilson, Corey Ballantine, Christian Welch, and Robert Rochelle. Two things that jump out at me. One is that, as we get asked a lot in insider inbox, almost inevitably, as soon as a season ends and the free agent lists get out there, who's the top priority for the Packers to re sign in free agency to make sure this guy doesn't get away. I think you and I both answered the question exactly the same way. It was Keishawn Nixon, not only because of what he did in a full season as the nickel cornerback and really him playing that position full time for the first time in his career. I think the Packers feel like there's still some more growth and some more progress there, even though Keishaw Nixon is not necessarily a young player anymore with his experience in the league. But then you throw in, obviously what he brings to the return game, and then what the owners passed at the owners meetings as far as the whole new setup and the rules and regulations with regard to kickoffs that are going to promote kickoff return opportunities and instead of as many touchbacks as we've seen in recent years. I thought the re signing of Keishawn Nixon was a big move for the Packers in two phases, both defensively and on special.
Speaker 3: It was the biggest move Green Bay made. And because let's just start with defense, because Jeff Halfley. This was another question that came up throughout the offseason with Matt Lafleure. You know, they were the ones. Jeff Hafley comes in as he talked about his family still in Boston. You know, he's sitting over here at Lodge Coal or just basically breathing and eating football every single day, and he had a lot of time to crunch film and a big part of that was watching the nine hundred sum snaps that Kishaw Nixon played last year and projecting whether or not this would be a good fit, because if it isn't this is the breaking point. This is where the Packers can let him walk and they can move forward in a new direction. Jeff Hafley looked at that film and said, this is promising for a guy that finally as a full time player, full time starter, is in that role. He liked what he saw, and Brian Goodikin's kind of expounded upon that when we were in Orlando, saying, you gotta remember, it's not just about how you cover, it's about how you tackle, and you need a guy that's built for that contact. You need a guy that's sort of like this hybrid pseudo safety type position, and Kishawn Nixon in a lot of ways fits that bill, especially with his explosiveness. I think the Packers saw what he did last year. It wasn't error free, but they felt like there's something to build off there now. And obviously the fact his durability is such a pivotal piece in Green Bay and he was the guy that ended up being out there more than anybody with those cornerbacks. And if I may just quickly with this kickoff return business, we'll have to see what this all is. Are gonna have plenty of opportunities to discuss this this summer. Will it look different, Will it result in more explosive plays? Will it results result in fewer everybody's got a theory.
Speaker 2: On this thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But all I'm gonna say is with the moves that Green Bay made, and Kishaw Nixon is a part of that, but he's not all of it. It's some of these Eric Wilson signings too. It is if the Green Bay Packers are going to make this transition into this new season with this new format for the kickoff, you are as well positioned as you're going to be right now with having Kishawn Nixon back there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too, And it's going to be the big curiosity as far as special teams across the league in twenty twenty four with the implementation of this new kickoff, this modified version, but special teams in general, I thought, I thought the Packers really helped themselves by bringing back these guys like Wilson and Ballantine and Welch and Rochelle. And also as far as that spotlight on special teams, there's a kicking competition right now. Anders Carlson, Jack put Lesnie was signed right after the season ended, and then the veteran Greg Joseph has been brought in. He's been the kicker for the Vikings for the past three seasons. So right now there are three kickers on the roster. I don't know how long that necessarily will continue, but one way or another, there is going to be a competition for the kicker position in Green Bay. So a lot of a lot of eyes on special teams and how some of this stuff is going to sort itself out as the Packers make their way towards Week one.
Speaker 2: Well, and then this is something you got to keep in mind too.
Speaker 3: I mean, kickers are going to have a role to play in this kickoff return business now as well, because if you're doing touchbacks and those sort of things, now it's coming out to the thirty. If the opposing team wants to kneel it down or let it go through the end zone, you have to make sure you hit it within the landing zone or otherwise it's going to be going to the forty. It's a difficult situation, I really felt when you and I were breaking down at the end of the season, we were talking about some of the issues that Anders had and that NFC Divisional playoff game I just felt like he's at a point right now where he can benefit for some competition.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: They didn't go out and pay Matt Gay all that money like the Colts did last year. Greg Joseph is more of that moderate type, signing a guy that's going to get an honest opportunity at winning that job, but you're not tied to him financially it doesn't work out. That's the thing I think is going to be very important for them because you look, even like O'Daniel Wheeland last year, how much he grew throughout camp when he's competing with Pad O'Donnell for that job and the only one person can win it. So I just feel like we're going to see the best version of Honors through this thing too. And the green Bait Packers talked about it the day that Rich Bisacci got hired. They were going to make a commitment they were going to be more veteran lated on special teams and they've been a man of their word.
Speaker 1: A couple other topics to hit on before we go and sign off on our first show. A lot of discussion both with both at the Scouting Combine in Indian February and then at the owner's meetings at the end of March in Orlando with Brian Gudokountz. With regard to Jordan Love and a new contract, it sounds like something's in the works. The Packers are going Packers and Jordan Love's folks are going to work towards something here. It can't be nothing can be finalized, signed, whatever until after the first few days of May because of the twelve month rule with regard to contracts, because the Packers signed Jordan Love to a contract extension in the first week of May last year, so there's no there's no rush here. And certainly the draft is coming up, so a lot of attention is on that, and I think very quickly after the draft, my guess is that attention will turn to this Jordan Love contract and that's going to get done. But you know, the Packers obviously are going to are making the long term commitment to Jordan Love for obvious reasons, and you know it could be could be a fun few years around here with with that young man continuing to grow and develop as he's done.
Speaker 3: You want to win a championship and and Jordan there are things that he's going to want back from that first year as a starter, and it goes back to even that game against the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: But I think if you're looking outside of just the.
Speaker 3: Super Bowl and the Lombardi, it was having confidence that you found your guy, and I felt like the twenty twenty three campaign gave us that confidence. I felt like that final stretch of the season, Mike, I would challenge you to find me a better quarterback those last six seven weeks of the regular season than Jordan Love. He was exceptional in every facet of the game and a big reason why the Green bit Packers were able to mount that rally and a big reason why they were able to get in the playoffs and ultimately have this sort of excitement now heading into this year two with him as QB one. I don't know how the dollars and cents work out. It's actually been a minute since we've had to do like a true quarterback extension. Aaron Rodgers had a few of them there down the end, but I mean, ultimately it was mostly just kind of reworking a few things.
Speaker 2: This reminds me.
Speaker 3: A lot of what Aaron got when we got into twenty thirteen, when he did that first deal with Green Bay.
Speaker 2: I think what was at the end of the eight season.
Speaker 1: Is, yeah, they extend Aaron Rodgers in the middle of the two thousand and eight season, his first year as the starters, eight or nine games in, and then he got his first you know, it was sort of his official second contract.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if you remember that, but that twenty twelve season, it just seemed like that was something where he was constantly being asked about it, Hey, are you playing undervalue your contract or whatever? And then ultimately after the Joe flacco'dell, the Packers made him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL. I don't know how that's all going to work out with Jordan Love, but you just feel so happy for him from a personal perspective because this is a guy that, in addition to putting in the time, in addition to developing and putting this all to good use, he led that locker room with a very even keel temperament. He's never blinked, he's never talked out a line. He's been the consummate professional leader. I feel like this locker room needs him to be in the one thing that Matt Lafleur mentioned that he wants him to work on. That's the big point of emphasis going into year two. Now there is no Aaron Jones. They there is still a young offense, but there's fewer of those leaders on that side of the ball. More is going to be asked of Jordan in that and I think that's exciting. I think that's an opportunity he's gonna relish in understanding that this is my football team and you are not on Instagram. You could care less about Instagram. But Jordan had a post a couple days ago and I don't even know how many likes it ended up getting. I oun't know how many views it ended up getting. It's a lot, though, And all it was was Jordan looking with his back to the camera, looking out to the Lambeufield fans and just saying missing this. Yeah, these fans are excited for the season. Jordan's excited for the season, and number ten is going to be here for a long time.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of the season, the full schedule for twenty twenty four has not been released, and that will happen presumably a couple weeks after the draft, so roughly about a month from now, four weeks from now, something like that, but the Packers know Game one they do Week one. It will be on the Friday night after the Thursday night kickoff opener, which presumably will be in Kansas City with the Chiefs hosting the Super Bowl champion Chiefs hosting a game at Air Arrowhead. But on the next night, on Friday night, the Packers will be in Sal Paulo, Brazil to face the Philadelphia Eagles. This is technically a home game for the Philadelphia Eagles and the Packers are the road team. We just found out about this last week, Wes, and I am not exactly looking forward to a twelve hour flight to go cover a football game. That will definitely be a first for me. But your thoughts on this whole Brazil thing, this is just this is kind of it kind of came out of nowhere. Yeah, a lot of respect.
Speaker 3: And that's why I laugh. I don't laugh for any other reason other than for so long, even going back to my days at the Press, because that it was like, why what are the Packers going to go to London? And it's like, okay, well they finally went. Now we're going to South America. I could play the first ever game in less than America less than two.
Speaker 1: I guess it'd be twenty three months after the trip to London. Right here, go go to Brazil, fly fly twice as far away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were talking about what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: That is probably the closest you and I are going to come to having throwing blows, throwing down coming to blows. But no, here, here's the thing, Mike. You know my stance on this. I was really against it, only from the standpoint of what the travel is and the fact that you open the season with such a taxing trip.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: But I have to give credit to the Brazilian fans and honestly South American Packers fans, because we've gotten things an insider inbox with people from Argentina, from Uruguay, people that are gonna make this trip just because they're in the region.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I get.
Speaker 3: I have so much respect for them because you can feel their fandom. This isn't just oh, some novelty the Packers are going to go down there and yayaya, let's go check it out. No, these are people that live and breathe football, just like John Olton Wasau does, and this is for them potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're going to be going to.
Speaker 3: Brazil every other year, so for us to be able to make that trip, you appreciate what it means culturally, you appreciate what it means for the National Football League to put Jordan love in this football team on display.
Speaker 2: Like they are.
Speaker 3: But more importantly, it is about expanding this game. And I don't know how many more years you're going to do this. I said, I always have about nineteen left, give or take. I'm going to see a lot of different parts of this country, but parts of this globe. If I stick around, and if the Packers don't want to let me go and hand me a pink slip, I don't know if I'll ever be in Brazil again from a vacation standpoint or a work standpoint. So from that aspect, I'm really embracing it. But it is going to be very interesting to see how both of these teams come out of it, because it is something unlike anything else I think the NFL has really tried so far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and logistically, the only reason you know this really is even a possibility to do in week one is because of the change of a few years ago of going to just the three preseason games where there's essentially a you know, kind of an off week in terms of playing games, there's no longer that fourth preseason game before week one. So because that gap is in there, the NFL sort of looks at the calendar and goes, oh, yeah, well let's let's send a couple of teams on along road trip because it's because it's certainly more doable now than it would have been a f You know what.
Speaker 2: This feels like.
Speaker 3: It feels like when you get the call from like, uh, I don't know, a pick your cable company or you know, sometime telemarketing thing where they offer you like the first three months and then you end up getting hit with something on the other end of it.
Speaker 2: A couple of years ago, the NFL is like.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're gonna take we're gonna get rid of that last preseason game.
Speaker 2: Everything's cool. We'll add the other regular season game, but everything's cool.
Speaker 3: And now we're already chipping back into right that off time before week one again.
Speaker 1: Exactly, it's like you got again, you know that is that is exactly what this feels like. Well, Hey, I know a lot of people are fired up about the draft. There's plenty to discuss with regard to the draft, and now that we have reviewed the off season, we will shift into draft mode. We have another show later this week. We will have another one next week, also prior to the draft, and we'll try to look at this twenty twenty four NFL Draft from all angles, so be sure to tune in for that. But till then, for WES, I am Mike. Thank you for tuning in everybody. We will see you next time.
Speaker 3: M