Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media, Hello, and welcome to Cool People did Cool Stuff, your weekly reminder that when bad things happen, people can do good things in response to it, and your weekly reminder that sometimes we all fall into the trap of seeing things as good and bad. But actually it's true. There are things that are good and there are things that are bad, And even though morality is subjective, there are some things that are just true. Like it's true that I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy and with me today as my guest on this part three out of four is James Hi.
Speaker 2: James Hi, Margaret, It's nice to be here.
Speaker 1: How are you? Usually I make the joke about this on this totally different day, but it is a different.
Speaker 2: Day, different day. Yeah, we've had a weekend. Yeah, someone has tried to shoot Donald Trump. Yep, that's the thing that happened this weekend. I went for a nice trail run. It's nice. I picked some fennel. I mentioned the fennel because I shoved it in my running pack and it's choosed now and I've just recovered it and unfortunately it's no longer an edible condition, which is which is sad.
Speaker 1: This is very relatable to me.
Speaker 2: I just just fucked like a magpie, just just taking things and then having no ability to use them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's how I got the name Magpie.
Speaker 2: Really, do you like shiny stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, rusty things. I would find little trash on the street and bring them back to where I was staying. So someone started calling me Magpie. And then later I met someone named Magpie whose full name was Margaret, and I was like, there's an idea.
Speaker 2: I love that. It's really sweet. Do you also collect cool stones? I do, not as much as I used to. When I like hitchiked and traveled full time. I just had, like we call it goblin treasure. Me and all my friends would collect like rusty objects and like little neat stones and things like that, and then make a kind of jewelry out of it all. Yeah. I love to do that. I'd love to have a jar of stones on my desk, just just neat stones from around the world. Hell yeah, I was picking one up recently in Syria. My fixer was like, you cannot be picking up cool looking, shiny shit from the ground, so this is how we all die. Yeah, that makes sense, which is the thing I know intellectually. You know that you see a nice stony you just want to just want to own it.
Speaker 1: I think everyone has a little magpie, you know, sitting on their shoulder, chirping in.
Speaker 2: Their ear, yeah, telling them to pick up shiny things.
Speaker 1: One of our ear chirpers is today's producer, who's Ian Hi, Ian.
Speaker 2: Hey, magpie, Hey James, how are you guys doing good? Were great?
Speaker 1: And our audio engineer is Danel Hi Daniel. Everyone's say hy to Daniel.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Hi Daniel, Hi Daniel.
Speaker 1: Our theme music was written for us by unwoman. I it becomes this thing where like I sometimes forget to have everyone say hi to Daniel, but then like when I do, it like haunts me, and I'm convinced that the episode will be bad. I don't normally have these compulsive behaviors, but that has become one, and so we will just stick with it because what I'm beating around the bush around is that this is probably gonna be the darkest episode of cool People did Cool Stuff that I've ever recorded, because here we are in part three about Armenian resistance to genocide, and that means that today we're gonna talk about the Armenian genocide.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, see, this is like Coming of Roberts Show. Now you're just gonna tell me.
Speaker 1: Know, it's always a little bit like that, right, because when I first started this, I was like, Oh, it's just gonna be all the fun people, and then you're like, oh, my definition of fun people is usually people who are like fighting against the most evil things that have ever happened in the history of the world.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, you have to go through to bad stuff.
Speaker 1: Like you could imagine a cut of Star Wars, Like, imagine Star Wars is cool, people did cool stuff. However, you could do a behind the Bastards and it would just be all of the details of blowing up alder On.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have the whole narrative hit, we have it. I like that. I like the analogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm better, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's kind of in the Ja ja binks area. Where's you a more.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly? This is totally a fight that I want to pick and care about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please tweet your thoughts about which Star Wars character rober Evans would be to Margaret at I write, okay on Twitter.
Speaker 1: So, the Armenian genocide, like the Assyrian genocide in the Greek genocide that all happened at the same time was a systematic mass murder, exile, or forced conversion of nearly all the Christians in Anatolia like what's now Turkey. This is generally seen as the first modern genocide in terms of a systematic approach to the destruction of an entire ethnicity and all of its people. I didn't end up including it into the script, but I read a whole bunch about how the word genocide came to be because looking at this, and then in the immediate wake of the holocaust of the World War two, people were like, we don't have a word for kill all the people, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we had to come up with a whole new word for something that was so terrible that we hadn't invented a word for yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like crime beyond crime. And obviously people had done it before, right, right, we are both recording from places that that has happened, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like European folks did this to indigenous people sort over the world, right, Like I'm thinking of the Herero genocide for example, Like, yeah, we did it. It wasn't I guess so visible to people in the metropol, right, and that's what made this kind of stand out to them at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll get into it. Turkey tried real or the Ottoman Empire tried really hard to not have anyone know about it and to try and have it happen like all the previous ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're still trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they still refuse to admit that this happened. Hooray.
Speaker 2: And they will cynically use the genocide of the indigenous peoples of North America as a way as like a hammer with which to bash the United States for when it acknowledges or threatens to acknowledge the Armenian genocide, right, Like I don't know if you've seen this, but they'll be like, well, you guys compoint fingers because of what you did to your indigenous peoples, which, yeah, that's bad too. Two things can be bad. Multiple genocides cannot have occurred. There's not a shield you can put up and to excuse your own shitty behavior.
Speaker 1: We should all acknowledge that stuff that seems like it's necessary, even just from a pure like understanding how the world works, Like even if you don't care about people, you know, I mean a horrible. Whatever these things happened, stop pretending like they didn't anyway, So let's talk about how it happened. It was centralized and systematic. It was enacted in the summer of nineteen fifteen during World War One. It started furthest East, and then it moved its way westward, all under the pretense of defeating this internal threat. Right, they were like, oh, the Armenians, they are all going to go join Russia, and a few thousand of them, did you know. I also can't blame anyone who did, they would still be whatever anyway. Yeah, I'm not going to linger super long on the like gory details, but I'm going to do it more than I usually do because usually I kind of am, like, and then some really bad stuff happened, because I'm usually talking about stuff that people kind of know about on some level. Right, But just saying a million people died doesn't give you a sense of what happened. And one of the main issues about how the Armenian genocide is discussed is that it's not People barely know shit about it. I only knew the tiniest bit. I kind of knew the like a bunch of people died level, right, yep. And of course it started with, as we talked about last time, those forced labor death camps for the conscriptable men. Right, everyone who is conscripted into the army in World War One, if you were Christian, they were like just kidding or taking your guns away, and now you're gonna die. It quickly expanded beyond that. That would be enough, right, that would be one of the worst things that's happened. But sometimes if a village was entirely Armenian soldiers and militias would just show up, round everyone up, and then kill them. In villages with mixed Christian and Muslim populations, they did more of this exodus style thing. They'd start by rounding up and arresting all of the men who hadn't been conscripted into these labor death camps, anyone who was suspected of being a leader or in any way might be perceived as a threat to their power, right, and deal with those people, And then they would announce to the remaining Christians in the town that they were being deported for their own good. And they did it all classic write down an inventory of everything you're leaving behind, which is everything by the way, you can't bring anything with you, We'll make sure it's returned to you later. You know, they wrote the receipts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right. The bureaucracy of these things is just fucking like a whole set of Kaman in Jerusalem thing. But yeah, the cold, bureaucratic nature of genocide is pretty horrific to comprehend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the comparisons to the Nazis is just direct they write themselves, but are worth pointing out still, you know. Yeah, And of course these receipts were alive. People were forced to sign over the deeds to their houses and lands, which is like such a like we're the good guys, right, it's all legal.
Speaker 2: Here's yeah, like what the fuck are you doing? You're going to kill these people? Like do you really need to do this too?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I bet a lot of it is to like make people think that they're going to survive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just you know, to prevent like I guess, rebellion or like, yeah, I'm sure if you were going to be genocided, you would act in a way that was different, like right, for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: And so they sign away their houses in their land and then they're marched off into the desert, or they're boarded onto trains or boats, and the people marching through the desert. These are death marches. Anyone who acted up was killed. They were denied food, they were denied water. You weren't allowed to stop and drink from the springs along the side of the road. Kurdish groups were allowed to attack and rob the caravans. Young women were kidnapped and forced to convert Islam. Young boys were taken as slaves, often as shepherds, but the only men who survived were the ones who escaped. An incredible number of people they started coming out, and I think the seventies or eighties there was this whole book about it. An incredible number of people who were raised Turkish today have discovered recently that at least one of their grandmothers was of Armenian descent and forced to convert and lie about it her ethnicity.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Armenians were deported by train, forced to buy their own tickets onto cattle cars, which is probably just another way to be like, oh, yeah, no, you're you're going somewhere. The dead were removed at each train stop and thrown down in bankments, and they were taken to these outposts. Then they were left to die, and if they didn't die fast enough for the new arrivals, they were just killed. It's like they're figuring it out as they go along genocide right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they haven't quite like perfected it in the way that the Nazis had or industrial lives hit in that way.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah. Along the Black Sea, people were just taken out onto boats and drowned. Children were put into sacks and thrown overboard. Whole boats full full of people were like taken out and sunk. Muslim leaders who fought against this mass murder were replaced or executed. Muslims would hide their Christian neighbors and if they were caught, both the Muslims and the Christians would be executed. Victims were forced to strip before they were killed, often before they were deported at all, because it was against Sharia law to strip clothes off of a corpse to sell life insurance of the murder people was used to finance the murder of others. They were packed into houses and they were set alight. Others used as target practice for Turkish officers. I wasn't joking that this is just going to be dark for a moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fucking litany of horrible shit.
Speaker 1: A lot of Christians were crucified, often to their own doors or barns. Often they were raped and impaled. I'm like, I'm like, not even telling me some of the worst shit. I don't know. I spent a long time thinking about how I was going to talk about this, And we're having this conversation a lot right now with what's going on in Palestine right where there's like these arguments where you don't need to see it or you do need to see it, you know, and people make really good cases on both sides. And I think where I'm at personally, and this is maybe a gut instinct, is that, like I think it is worth knowing and then not lingering on, but like knowing. And that's like why when I engage with like World War two stuff, I don't engage with the details of the Holocaust stuff as much, right because I faced it in whatever way, you know, I've read about it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've like, when I think about my personal engagement, I guess with genocidal violence. I've been part of I've been a historian of the Spanish Civil War, I've seen people uncover their grandparents and find their like shattered skulls in the village they still live in. Yeah. I also one of the things that impacted me most in recent years that really just made like I've been a conflict reporter for a while, I've seen really horrible shit. I've heard stories of terrible things. And in twenty twenty, I was in Rwanda and as COVID was all kicking off, and like one of the last things I did for everything shut down was go to the Genocide Museum in Kigali. Yeah, and for whatever reason, like that is the most moving museum exit that I've ever attended. And it wasn't like the numbers and like there were vast numbers of people killed in Rwanda. It was individual stories that really fucked me up for a while. And I think like for it and also just hearing from like they were wander genocide wasn't that long ago. It was in our lifetimes within probably lots of listeners life to known and ninety four, you know, hearing from people who had been present. It's sort of it's one thing as a historian, it's one thing to see people uncovering their grandpa grandma or whatever, non binary grandparent doesn't matter. But like it's different when it's someone like you know, you can walk around Rowanda and see where shit happened. I remember bike all around the country and then to see how like in that country, ethnicity in a meaningful sense does not exist today people my I have young Rwandan friends who are in their early twenties now who don't know which of those two ethnicities would pertain to them because it's just not it's not a relevant form of identity. This thing happened for something that I mean, all all identities bigger than you know, very small communities are made up. Doesn't mean they're not real. But it just disappeared afterwards, and it disappeared for reasons that aren't always great. Disappeared kind of due to the full set of state. But to just be like this thing fucking had people killing each other with knives and fucking shovels and now it's gone, like it was completely false. It profoundly moved me in a way I think about like identity and the world.
Speaker 1: No, it makes sense, and it makes sense about how like it is worth sometimes to go and read the specific stories of individuals you know, yeah, And I think what I decided on for this episode, right is that I'm not doing that. But I'm also not glossing over. I want to be like, this is what happened pretty roughly. I got a lot out of reading about it. I got a lot of upsetness, you know. But I also think it's like worth understanding what people are fighting against and also just like I don't want people to like panic or worry specifically, but it's like it's worth understanding how bad the world could be, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it is. I think we should face up to the realities of what it's I mean, I uh Sin Syria last year spoken to a ZD people who went through genocidal violence by the so God Islamic state, right, like, yeah, things can be really fucking terrible and we shouldn't. You know, it's very easy, especially now, right we have so much stuff and so many things and so many disurrections. It'll be okay, and like it probably will be right, I don't, I don't, Yeah, totally, it probably will be fine. Yeah, And that probably won't be you who faces genocidal violence. If you're a person with a smartphone downloading a podcast well, right, more people have smartphones electricity in their homes, Like smartphones are very broadly distributed around the world, but probably won't be you listener. It will probably be someone who you see on the news. But it's still something that we should face up to about the state, right, the state is the only tool that can do this. Yeah, and humanity more broadly.
Speaker 1: That is actually an important point that I didn't talk about too much, is that, like one of the reasons that words like genocide exists because it's a state level crime and the concept of the modern state is fairly new. That doesn't mean that kingdoms didn't pull off stuff like this, and that you know, diverse groups, decentralized groups. I've also done some bad stuff, right, Yeah, but yeah, there's a scale. Yeah. One account I read described the mass suicide where children and teenagers would join hands and jump off cliffs together to escape what was coming. And in order to do this, more than thirty thousand felons were released from Turkish prisons into the Special Organization, which was guerrilla fighters who were at war against the Armenian civil population of the country.
Speaker 2: It's not ready a war, it's just it's just murdering people is what that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like, what have we let out all the murderers to do a bunch of murder?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's great. That's that's how the state can pretty fuck things up, I guess yep. Not dramatically different to what's happening now in part of Syria. Sadly. Yeah, like you relabeled Jahada's fighting, No, totally, I'm gonna throw to ads without a clever thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here they are, here's ads.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: I guess there is a line about how serious I can feel where I can't do my cycle. Yeah, there it is, we found it. Yeah, so this was happening, and this happened during the summer of nineteen fifteen. As we talked a little bit last time, the Kurdish tribes are major participants in all of this, since for generations they've been told the Armenians were the reason for their own poverty. However, it is possible that the role of the Kurds has been overstated to shift blame away from Turkey. But that's people's speculation and there's no my guess is is not all one way or the other. The Kurds were absolutely involved in this Also, Turkey could absolutely be overstating their responsibility.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it hugely matters if you're responsible for like thirty or forty percent of a genocide, like you were still responsible. And the Kurdish groups that I'm familiar with acknowledge their complicity and apologize for it, which is again important.
Speaker 1: That is the next paragraph I have. Sorry, no, no, it's good. It is worth reiterating.
Speaker 2: Coming in here with my fucking nerd shit.
Speaker 1: To be clear, all modern Kurdish movements openly speak about the Armenian genocide and admit the Kurdish role in it, and speak about how Kurdish and Armenian liberation are inseparably linked. Well, an awful lot of the groups I said all, but I read a list and it was all of the groups that I know about were on that list of people who talk about it openly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd certainly like I have met seeing Armenian and Assyrian units within the SDF. Yeah, right, so that like autonomous can unities within the broader an s in North and Easyria.
Speaker 1: I feel like this makes me better understand to I don't want to like totally fall into this nerd stuff in case people don't know exactly what we're talking about. But you know, when people talk about the Kurdish movement of you know, when people talk about Roshabam right and the Northeast Syrian Autonomous movement that's going on. One of the reasons that I'm under the impression I think, I know, you know more about this that Kurdish folks talk about, being like, this is not a Kurdish movement. We are among these movements. This is a pluralistic movement. Even though they're the ones who kind of spearheaded it. I assume that this kind of stuff is part of the reason that they're like real aware of not wanting to fall into nationalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, it's not an ethno nationalist movement. It's a movement which is liberatory and the people it's trying to liberate, if it has any one focus, are not the Kurds per se, but women if they have a focus. Right, But that's why they will use an e s in pref to Rosjava, which just means west in Kurdish, right, you have north, southeast and West Kurdistan. This is West Kurdistan. Yeah, got my compass in my head.
Speaker 1: You know, it's an easier thing to say Roosevelt right than oh, yay, the autonomous regions of Northeast Aria.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, yes, totally, and people understand what you mean. But I think the problem that they have faced, and then we'll get back to tour genocide chat is that American media are incapable of understanding movements in the Middle East without reference to ethnicity or without primarily referencing ethno nationalism. Right, like the Uzidis a z d they are kind of Kurdish but also distinct right, they're like they have been. You have the Yebashi right, which is an a Zli group within the broader Kurdish liberation movement. It's confounding for people to write about. I have seen other journalists be like, well, are they Curds? Are they not Curds? Like? Are they you know? Like? And then well, you have two Kurdish groups, you know, right next to each other who are in conflict right now, Like the Frist is not the salient determining right, it's their outlook. But totally especially with Kurds right, who because they have been persecuted for who they are by various states for a very long time, it's hard for I think any frame of analysis it doesn't primarily reverenced ethnicity to especially in the Western media, to.
Speaker 1: Be used, no totally. And even when we're talking about like the Armenian genocide, right, it's like, you know, we talk about the Armenian genocide, and we talk about Asyrian genocide, and we talk about the Greek genocide. Well mostly we talk about their well mostly we don't talk about any of them. Yeah, but like it's the fact that they're Christian that is the in many ways, the relevant thing. But that also doesn't quite get across. It's not because it's like, oh, well, you go to church on Sunday, that's why we're mad, you know. Yeah, it's like much more important about like cultural stuff that's going on. So one of the reasons that we don't know as much, well, we know a fair amount about the Armenian genocide. One of the reasons it's not talked about as much, right is because the Burkish government with the Ottoman Empire was interested in covering it up. And the way they covered it up was to pretend it wasn't happening, especially while it was happening. The goal was to not have the West notice until it was done, no photos of it were allowed. Photo development places were told to report anyone who brought photos in of it. Wow. Passenger trains had their windows blacked out so no one could see the corpses lining the tracks. And the way they covered it up was very orchestrated. First they would be like, no, it's not happening. And then if it is happening, if someone notices it is happening, it's because of the Armenian insurgency. And they pretended that the deportation was humane and that all property was inventoried, and they cared about the deportees. Another thing they would do is they'd send two telegrams with the orders, and one was a like real order, like kill them all, and the other would be like a pleasant fiction. Right, Oh, how was the deportation going? Is everyone doing okay? After the order was followed, they would destroy the real telegram and keep the fake one. Yeah, and then they destroyed all the files about it. There's this like rumor that there's a vault somewhere in a Swiss bank with records of this whole thing. Who knows. There is a lot of Like as the Ottoman Empire fell, they got a lot of the rulers of it moved a lot of like golden shit to Switzerland, right, So yeah, but why would you keep records of agendocide?
Speaker 2: I guess maybe you're really proud of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: States be weird. I've found some stuff in archives. You're like, why do you write this down? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Totally?
Speaker 2: What are you doing here? Bro?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Where's their security culture? I guess when you're like the state level actor, you don't have security culture because you think you were the top.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, and you don't realize it. Well, I mean, what do I do? I try a snoky history book about how they're all pieces of shit, like it didn't stop them, did it? Like doesn't effect then they're all dead?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I guess you can get Franco exhumed and fly his body across the country. That was kind of funny.
Speaker 1: One of the groups that worked hardest to bring attention to the Armenian genocide while it was happening was in this part's like funny, funny is the wrong word? The American Protestant missionaries. Can you guess who the American Christians were there to proselytize too?
Speaker 2: The Muslims. No, they try to convert the Armenians to like plus one Christians, like unorthodox Christians.
Speaker 1: I mean, they weren't trying to convert them to Christianity, period, because that's how American protestant Ism writ large. Yeah, you know, obviously there's Protestant is a very diverse ideological and theological framework. Yeah, the Protestant missionaries were over there to convert the world's oldest Christian nation to Christianity.
Speaker 2: Yes, we love to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the literally got our Christianity directly from one of Jesus' apostles. Armenians weren't Christian enough for them.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 1: But while they were there, America hadn't entered the war yet, and the Ottoman Empire didn't like really want America to enter the war on the side of kill the Ottoman Empire.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 1: And actually later the US never declared war on the Ottoman Empire. So these are some of the only protected Christians in the country, and so they're working really really hard to try and bring attention to this and care for people.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: The other protected Christian group that was there were their German allies, oh dear, mostly the German allies did not work to save all of the Armenians. Some were basically taking notes like, oh, you can just kill them all. But many German soldiers wound up being some of the loudest advocates for recognition of the genocide and provided hundreds and hundreds of pages of evidence.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, they say, came right in the end, this is post World War two, like they no, oh, okay, no post World War one, right, okay, So like, because that's the thing is like the German allies in the eye him An Empire weren't Nazis, you know, No, they were mony kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or fucking conscripts, you know, like yeah, yeah, I'm guessing they like I'm mentioning who Germany would have sent to the Ottoman Empire at that time, you know, like probably not.
Speaker 2: It's like fighting troops.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure there's some rank and file soldiers on the Southern Front of the war. I only know a little bit about the Southern Front of the First World War, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a an area I don't know a lot about either.
Speaker 1: So all of these folks collected evidence, evidence that was needed. Because Turkey still denies his mascot of this day. And now we've covered the Armenian genocide, and I don't want to be like and now it's done, but like, you know whatever, Now you know what happened. Now I get to talk about the cool people. I want to talk about the Armenian man who took out the guy most directly responsible for the genocide. He was a small, nervous, epileptic man who was driven by visions to do what needed to be done, a man named Soghom until her Sokomantelerian was born in Anatolia in eighteen ninety six in a small peaceful village. Although it's like, oh, peaceful village, but it gets compared a lot to the wild West. This like rural Ottoman area. Right, violence can pop off wherever bandits are everywhere. It is a rough time to be an Armenian peasant.
Speaker 2: But you know, just a place where the state doesn't ye have like the monopoly on violence, right, Like people are just violencing left, right, center, right.
Speaker 1: Instead they're wielding the nomadic war machine with which to enact their violence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: His father emigrated to Serbia during the eighteen nineties because of extreme poverty and to hope to send money home to his family. Because of the war and the genocide, he never made it home again, which is the reason he's the family member who survives this story. Mom moved the family to a bigger town of like twenty six thousand people. You know, I would have been like, that's a tiny town, except now where I live, Like, that's like way bigger than the big town that's near my tiny town, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Metropolis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's probably like three Walmarts there, you know, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Back in the eighteen nineties, a Turkey did love a Walmart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. In nineteen thirteen, newly an adult Sokolman emigrated to Serbia to join his father. When he heard Russia might invade the Ottomans, he was like, oh fuck yeah, sign me up, nice, I want to invade the Ottomans yet them. He's ready to grow yeah, and his dad is like, no, you really shouldn't. He goes on a train for twenty four hours to Bulgaria and eventually he gets his dad's he's I think he might even be seventeen or maybe eighteen, is actually a minor. At this point, he needs his dad's permission to sign up for the Russian military, which is like surprising to me.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, that is given him the general state of the Russian military.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, he has to talk his dad into it. His dad's not excited about it. He goes to Bulgaria and then he goes to Georgia for training, and his commander was this Armenian who had probably been an assassin for the ARF back in the day, but then he had split with the ARF when they'd backed the young Turks. So basically their commander was cool and right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He seems to have already made all the good choices. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There in Georgia, Tillerian met older ARF fighters and was part of this like youthful revolutionary scene, and he writes a lot in his journal about how he is like madly in love with this woman and but you know, they all have to be chased for the revolution and shit like that, right, and they get to feel like heroes when they're on the train off to the front as Armenian refugees wave handkerchiefs and cheers they go off to go fight. And I don't want to even be cynical about that, because, like I mean, that's true, Like they were heroes in this in this context, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I think about like I have friends in the PDF and me Emma who are fighting the Tamadola junta. Right, Yeah. When they go through villages where they come back, they're like, yeah, everyone look lines of roads and clap to them. Or when they like liberate villages, you know if one lines are road and claps to them, because yeah, they're the people. They're the only people doing something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're fighting and dying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are definitely doing both those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He started off as an unarmed medical orderly. The Southern Front of World War One was decades behind the Western Front technologically because there wasn't the road infrastructure for vehicles. Artillery had to be drawn by horse cart. There's no planes, no tanks. The Ottomans had fled and so they're basically fighting against Kurdish tribes who are fighting the invading Russians. Because why support people if you're the Ottoman Empire when you can make them do all the dying for you. My cynicism is whatever, Speaking of cynicism, here's an ad break and we're back. And of course the Russian army was also fucked up in murdering people and being evil because it's an army.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But as they advance, Tellurian starts seeing the bodies of Armenian civilians everywhere. The genocide was decentralized and there's just corpses scattered around everywhere. And he's an odd fellow for a soldier, right. He's like prone to seizures and passing out during times of heightened stress, which includes like being in a war and also seeing your entire people murdered. At one point, he actually passes out in the middle of a firefight.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there's this part of his life that I want to know more about. He starts running across orphans everywhere. Most of the survivors of the genocide were children, and so there are these gangs of orphans roaming around, begging and stealing and avoiding adults. And he makes it his purpose in life to rescue as many of them as possible. It's became his life mission. And I don't know as much about it because he's most famous for being an assassin, but he rescued every orphan he could constantly. When he wrote about it in his journal, he would talk about how he was like, Okay, when they're awake, they run away from all the adults, so you got to catch him at like dawn when they sleep in the following places. And it's like kind of written as if he's like hunting, but he's I mean, he's not right, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, he's trying to get these kids out of Where do they go? Where do they get rescued?
Speaker 1: That's what I don't know. Okay, that's what I'm frustrated by not knowing. Someone must know. But what I have read mostly didn't talk about this part of his life. But I'm very interested in it, and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, It like kind of implies that he just has this gaggle that's following him.
Speaker 2: Amazing. It's like a child army.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know he's like a medical orderly, right, so he's not like, hey, kids, run this grenade up to the front, you know, right.
Speaker 2: They can be putting on bandages or yeah, vibing back there at the field hospital. Yeah, and people do that with dogs. I seem some yeah, some units really just accruing dogs.
Speaker 1: That makes sense to me. That would absolutely be me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that would be me too. Yeah, There's one unit in Memma that I have this giant plush teddy bear like four to five feet off the ground. They dragged around with them for a while, like they would send me videos of their firefights. You know, they just put it in a chair. It would just be like like it was spectating at the whole thing.
Speaker 1: I suspect that adding some level of surrealism is a useful way to make your way through a war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can see that, allowing yourself to like maybe dissociate or like yeah, just make yeah, like everything's strange right now.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It seemed to be very good at that in Burma, like what the fuck is happening? People do a lot. You see it a lot among the gis, whether it's people like listening to Katie Perry or something. Well, they're like, yeah, you know out there calling in air support whatever it is, Like I've I've noticed it. It's a yeah, it is a way to get through things for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so eventually he comes to his own former house. It's long since abandoned. It's now a barracks for Russian soldiers. He basically comes up and he's like, hey, can I like go in there? That's my house. And the guy's like, fuck really, and like gives him a cigarette, you know, oh great, and he goes and he passes out in his childhood garden. And this is what at least when he started having visions. It might be when he started being epileptic and fainting, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like if he was epileptic and they knew, there would be some kind of disqualifying factor for service, but maybe not, I don't know. Maybe that's why he was a medical ordlyan, not a you know, the machine gunner.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then by the time he's in and this is happening, they just need everyone and he's there, you know, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's there, and he's doing his thing anyway. Yeah, and he's clearly capable of continuing to do it, seems like.
Speaker 1: And so he lays down in his childhood garden and he has a vision about his brother being there, come from Serbia to try and find their family. And he wakes up and he's like staggering around his old neighborhood, going to his old neighbors' houses and stuff like that, and it's this transformative experience in his life, and in one of these visions he sees Talat Pasha, the orchestrator of all of this. The minister raised his hand and Tillaryan cut it off, and this he believed was divine revelation, and I'm not in any position to tell him he's wrong. He also started having vivid dreams of his family giving him advice and lessons and also being like pretty constantly, his mom would be like, you kill that fucking guy. Yet you know it's up. You know you're alive to do this thing, right, It's maternal love for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, in nineteen sixteen, shit somehow got even worse for the survivors because the Brits abandoned their plan of conquering Constantinople, and so the Armenians knew that they would just keep being murder until the war was over. Bizarre, for his part, stopped promising an autonomous Armenia, and as Armenians started to try and resettle reclaim towns, they still faced hell. Then in nineteen seventeen, Veteran of the Pod I almost in front of the pod, but it's too complicated to say that Veteran of the Pod the Russian revolution hits the world. Russia signs a peace agreement with the Ottoman Empire, and the Armenians are now on their own. In February nineteen eighteen, the Armenians fought like fucking hell to defend their reclaimed territory against the Ottomans, which bought time for the exodus of the civilians. This moment alone, I would watch a ten part mini series about. Yeah, you know, the exodus did not go great for people. I mean it saved a lot of people's lives. A lot of people froze to death or were cut down by Kurdish forces. There's like they just like find officers like frozen in their boots, you know, in the mountains and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: When the Bolsheviks true and formally left the war, they agreed to quote utilize every available means to disperse and destroy the Armenian bands operating in Russia and the occupied provinces of Turkey.
Speaker 2: That was nice of them, Yeah, real, real solidarity kind of shit that you love to see.
Speaker 1: Never a good idea to side with the Bolsheviks, even as a Bolshevik.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, yeah, yeah, yeah, they will kill you two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, once again, the Armenians had fought alongside to suppose an ally, only to have the ally turn on them. Don't worry, that's going to happen at least two more times in the very near future. Oh good, good, Tillerian and the other Armenian soldiers, they stayed to fight and defend this exodus. Right, twelve hundred Armenian soldiers held off one hundred thousand Turks.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Tillerian took a severe wound to his right arm in the fighting and was out of the fight and was like transported.
Speaker 2: To a hospital.
Speaker 1: In nineteen eighteen, the Christian nations of Georgia and Armenia joined the Muslim nation of Azerbaijan to form a new country, Transcaucasia. This didn't last. If you're like al Comino, there's there's not a country called that on the map. Somewhere there's a white trans people joking here that you shouldn't make it be wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's not presenting itself. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They all had their own interests and they were all scrambling. Turkey captured Armenia. Azerbai John helped them do it. Yet another former ally now attacking Armenia.
Speaker 2: Like right now, currently as you listen to this podcast. Yes, but also in the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. History is great, kids, because we learned from it and we change, we make things better.
Speaker 1: I'm like more and more. I know it's because it's like what I do for a living, but I am like more and more convinced that we genuinely actually need to better understand the history.
Speaker 2: No. Yeah, no, that is a thing that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Tillurian, as fellow soldiers are trying to fight off two armies that are invading some Armenian vets, gather in London and they join the Allied forces still fighting in the sun in Front. But that didn't go well, and Tillarian was not among them. And then World War One ended Britain one Constantinople became a safe enough place for former enemy combatants like Tillurian, so he went there. The young Turks are out of power. Peacetime was hard on Tellurian. War had probably been harder, I'm gonna be honest about that. Yeah, but he felt like he was crazy because everyone around him were trying to act like they hadn't survived a genocide. He was twenty two.
Speaker 2: At this point. Oh wow, houck, he's young.
Speaker 1: He had spent four years in Hell. Yeah, and he'd been taking his time during that time. He had rescued orphans, he had buried corpses, he had fought, he had nearly died. He had no idea if his family was alive or not. He left a notice with the Arf newspaper looking for his family. Meanwhile, the Cup the Young Turks, their whole leadership had resigned and they escaped done a German torpedo boat, like at the last minute. It's a lot Pasha, Jamal Pasha and Enver Pasha and a ton of other mass murderers. They'd split up, some to Berlin, some to Moscow, some to Rome, but no one was sure where they'd gone. A lot of the Young Turk leadership was tried in absentia and sentenced to death, but most of them weren't around to be killed. Some of them were executed, but the big leaders of the genocide got the fuck out of town. This is not a peaceful time to be in the city. It's clearly more peaceful than it just like had been during the war, right right, But things are spicy. No one knows who's in charge. Greece declared that all Greek Christians and Constantinople were independent of the Saltan's rule.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that for them, it as your responsibilities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I kind of I kind of like it because like one of the whole things that people use, like like anti Catholic stuff in the United States from like two hundred years ago was always about our like divided loyalty and how you know, Rome was going to tell all the Catholics what to do or whatever. Yeah, and like, okay, here's a time where that was sort of true.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I mean, it wasn't the pope, right because it's Greek Orthodox, but right, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: There, whatever, it is a prelate.
Speaker 1: Just I'm slowly learning all this shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not goot out the ship to learn.
Speaker 1: The city was divided up and ruled by Britain, Italy, France, and Greece. Everyone sent troops to try and claim a piece of the Ottoman Empire. This is like the fucking prize of World War One, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the old Man of Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the sick Man of Europe.
Speaker 2: Sick Man of Europe. That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my bad, No, No, it's like I mean it might have been the old Man too, but I remember reading specifically that I think it was the Czar who called him the sick man of Europe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the sick man of Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is cool and good that when you imagine that there's a sick man in your family, everyone is just plotting how to rob him.
Speaker 2: He's just gonna well, to be fair, if you're the czar and someone older than you and your family is dead, all you're thinking about is like the ship that you're going to get when he.
Speaker 1: Dies, Like, yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 2: This is how Aristos relate to each other and it it's why they're incapable of normal human empathy and interaction. Every success, they have hinges on people they love dying.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, that makes sense. And then the way that the sultans would end up, like once a sultan gets into power, they like kill most of their family that.
Speaker 2: Yeah they know they Yeah we really, we really set them up to do psycho shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. I almost got into like a lot of how that, like the power worked in the Ottoman Empire and stuff, and then I was like it's not central enough, and I I'm not trying to do orientalism about.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's not like Britain does this stick too, right, Yeah, all sausage pans are just coming into a power when he's like eighty something and half dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so everyone's trying to get a piece of the Ottoman empire. Tillian had contact with the larger Armenian revolutionary movement through a woman from that Marxist party that had used to be mad at the arf. After the genocide, no one had the stomach for in fighting one of the like rare moments of left or radical unity, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Through her and through the general Armenian community, he learned that the murderers had escaped and were hiding out. He also learned that in that very neighborhood there was a collaborator and Armenian who had compiled a list of names for the Turks and was like alive and living large a couple blocks away. So Tilarian was like, well, you know, I'm sure that guy will never do it again, and then lived a quiet and peaceful life as a coffee importer.
Speaker 2: I fancy that's maybe not true.
Speaker 1: No wait, no, the quiet, peaceful life is a coffee importer is going to come after a bunch of murder. Uh Tilarian did not waste time. Everyone was complaining about the collaborator, but no one would do anything about it. This is the thing that was making him feel fucking crazy, you know. Yeah, so we started hanging out near the guy's house. He waited for the collaborator to be hanging out near a window. One evening, he was giving a toast to his guests and then he had a big mental. We have his journ roles, is why we know a lot of what he was thinking of these various times he was like, should I shoot him in the head or the chest? I'm not talking about current events here. I'm not talk here about current events here.
Speaker 2: Just go right, bast it.
Speaker 1: This soldier with battle experience shot the man in the chest and aimed center mass and then fled the scene.
Speaker 2: How'd that go for him?
Speaker 1: It went great?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah.
Speaker 1: His Marxist friend found him at his apartment and shook his hand and said, I congratulate you, my brother, because he gets home and he's like, I didn't see him die. I fucked up. I should have gone for the head shot. The fuck am I doing? I'm a failure. My mother will never forgive me. I don't know if he went that far. She comes in and she's not the mother. The friend, the Marxist revolutionary comes and says, I congratulate you, my brother, and informed him that his target was dying in the hospital. And just like that, to Larian was a hero. He was not one whom people could really shout about from the rooftops, but everyone in the Armenian community was like, there's our guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is our dude now.
Speaker 1: And then he was like, well, that's not enough. I'm a pretty cool person. What if I do even more cool stuff? And the cool stuff he's gonna do spoiler alert become a coffee importer. That's not the that's not the party's famous for. We're gonna talk about it on Wednesday. It is a cool thing to do, though. I like coffee, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, if you're financing justice for Joe us not justice, I suppose more like revenge.
Speaker 1: He has a pretty like happily ever after story.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I'm excited.
Speaker 1: This is like one of the most happily ever after hero people on this show I've ever talked about. And if you want to hear that, you have to wait till Wednesday. Well not you, James, you have to wait about fifteen minutes. Okay, sick. But first, if people want to hear more from you, where can they do it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: All over the internet at the moment. I'm talking about about the Olympics at the minute because they are happening. And I wrote a book about the anti fascist Popular Olympics which happened in nineteen thirty six. Anti fascist Populalympics. Good, regular iOS, Olympics Bad. That's the short version of my book. For the longer version, you can find it on the internet or i'd a libry. I'd love you to go to your library and ask them to get the book and then lots of people can read it and you don't have to part with your money. It's called the Popular Front and the nineteen thirty six barcel In Olympics. It's written by me, James Stout. They can listen to it could happen here. Another podcast on the Carl Zone Media network where we talk about all kinds of news and current affairs, where I am currently writing about Turkey and its actions in Kurdistan. So if you're down on Turkey and I'm sorry, but there's going to be more on the Turkey front that will be out in a couple of weeks, I hope, And yeah, I think that's where I have Twitter James Stout, and I have a website James Stout dot net, which has all kinds of things I've written in the past.
Speaker 1: Nice if you want to hear more from me, I write every Wednesday on Substack. Half of the posts are free. If it's like a more important thing I'm saying to the world or whatever, it'll be free. And then if it's slightly more personal, you can pay me if you want to read my memoir stuff. And I also do an individual and community preparedness podcast or Live Like the World Is Dying. You can hear James on some of the episodes. I have a book that is currently in pre order called The Sapling Cage, and you can get it wherever you get books, but instead you should get it from Firestorm Well, if you're in the US, you should get it from Firestorm Books. It's a cooperative run publisher. I swear I know how to use words based in Ashville, North Carolina, and if you order it from them for your pre order, it'll come signed.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: It comes out in September. I'm excited for people to read it. I think you'll enjoy it. If you don't, don't tell me. I don't care. Take care of yourselves and we'll see you on Wednesday. Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts on cool Zone Media, visit our website foolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts