Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning.
Speaker 1: This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. This is the second episode in my five part series on procrastination. Today's tip is to conquer a task you've been resisting by breaking it into very small steps.
Speaker 2: There's been a lot written about success over.
Speaker 1: The years, but I think one of the most profound insights is this small things done repeatedly truly do add up. As the poet Avid once put it, dripping water hollows stone. Later writers added their addendum to this quote, not by force, but by persistence. If you think about it, the Grand Canyon is the result of a river subtracting just a little bit from the hills at a time. Lots of little steps can yield big results. Say you want to write a book, well, write five hundred words a day, four days a week. Five hundred words isn't much of anything. The script for this episode is longer than five hundred words, But two thousand words a week gives you fifty thousand words in six months. You'll get seventy five thousand words in nine months. I write books for a living, and I don't come anywhere near that level of output. Learning a language seems like a huge undertaking, but it's not an endless undertaking. According to the Foreign Service Institute, an English speaker could reach general proficiency with a language such as Spanish, French, or Italian in about six hundred hours over two years. That's less than an hour a day. Working with a language app during your commute and then meeting a native speaker for lunch once every other week could get you there. This insight is important for procrastination because often when we resist a task, it's because it seems big and nebulous, or possibly scary. This insight is important for procrastination because often when we resist a task, it's because it seems big and nebulous, or possibly scary. Get a new job, go back to school, start a business, start a nonprofit, meet someone special. All of this might be amazing, but life's pretty busy right now, all about next year or the next decade. One way to conquer this resistance is to break the task down into tiny, doable steps. Let's say you're procrastinating writing a report. Break this down into tasks so small that you feel no resistance to them, like write the title.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not so hard.
Speaker 1: I mean, who's bent out of shape by typing the title. Then maybe another step is writing down the main point. You want to make one sentence, what is this report about? Hopefully you know, because that's how you're describing it to people. So you write that one sentence down, just one sentence that wasn't bad at all. Then maybe another step is including three data points you know are important.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll get those in there.
Speaker 1: Oh and then here's something interesting we could say to connect the main point in those data points. Oh and by the way, I know, this is how I want to sum up and explain those data points. And next thing, you know, the momentum is there and the report is pretty much written. And here's the crazy thing. If you start early enough, you don't even have to do all of this on the same day. It never has to be unpleasant, and you never have to feel like there's too much to do because all these steps are small enough that you just don't feel like it's a big deal. If you do feel like it's a big deal and you start feeling that resistance, back up and make the step smaller. But I promise that progress is inherently motivational. We overestimate what we can do in the short run, but we underestimate what we can do in the long run. Even a nebulous project like meeting someone special could be done in small steps. You aim to go on one first date a week. That's not so bad. I mean, just one coffee date. It's not too much of an investment of time. But for every four first dates you might meet someone you want to go on a second date with, maybe one out of every three second dates turns into a third date. In a year, you would have met four people you were willing to go on three dates. With the odds that one of those turns into something bigger is pretty good. So today, think about some task that you've been putting off. Think about how you could break it up into tiny steps. Think about making those steps so small that they're really just a little better than nothing. If writing five hundred words a day is too much, right two hundred. I bet you've sent two hundred words of emails by eight thirty am. But almost nothing isn't actually nothing, and a little bit of something, done over and over again can move mountains over the long haul. What big project have you broken into tiny steps? I'd love to hear about it. You can email me at Before Breakfast podcast at iHeartMedia dot com. In the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening and here's to making the most of our time. Hey, everybody, I'd love to hear from you. You can send me your tips, your questions, or anything else. Just connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram at Before Breakfast Pod. That's b E the number four then Breakfast pod. You can also shoot me an email at Before Breakfast podcast at iHeartMedia dot com. That Before Breakfast is spelled out with all the letters.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Should I look forward to staying in touch. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.