Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys world headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and new He Scrugs.
Speaker 2: Here we are everybody. It's a Monday Players Lounge. Come on in here with us. Yes, yes, yes, here we are broadcasting from the Star, headquarters of the Dallas Cowboys. Crew is all here today. Danny McCrae, whats up?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 2: Heck Ma Harrison is here, Barry Church is here. I am new he Scruggs. Home of a bunch of playoff teams in Dallas, Fort Worth, Mavericks get it done over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Barry, you got the hat on and go to the game.
Speaker 4: So I'm not even gonna He's invested in everything.
Speaker 2: Michael Parsons was there, tray Von Diggs was there. I went there and and what to come back by them Dallas Stars. They get it done on Friday. So the Western Conference Finals for both teams are going to be the American Airlines Center. You think a by the Rangers won the World Series. Actually, Cowboys made the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Are you going? Are you going next week?
Speaker 4: We good so knowing what you're saying is there's gonna be no one left to trauma bond with the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Cowboys in the playoffs. You did say that.
Speaker 2: Look me thinking about three three straight years with the Cowboys, twelve win seasons. But the problem, obviously, we know people are looking at the playoffs, but we do know trying to get there is hard and and in this day and age, the league is designed for you to be able to make it. Did not make it, and we see so many teams go from first a lot.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 2: Winning is hard. I think for me, my appreciation for Mike McCarthy is to keep on winning here. And you know, you like to break through one day and get passed, get further. But I can't complain because I still remember the Campo era here for the three, five and eleven seasons when there was no quarterback. You know, I still have an admiration for that. But I get the fans and want more. I get it, But at the same time, I'm not crazy, which leads us into the first question.
Speaker 3: We talked about him before the show.
Speaker 2: Who has the most pressure to succeed this year, and these were the nominees. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, defensive tackle Missie Smith, quarterback Dak Prescott, head coach Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Let's start with you here, Barry Church.
Speaker 5: All Right, So if we're talking individual success, like just individual career success going forward, I'm gonna say Massie's under the most pressure. Oh, if we're talking about individual success about a career going forward, Let's look at the other nominees here. Jack Prescott already one of the highest paid guys in the National Football League, second team All Pro MVP vote.
Speaker 3: He's gonna get his bread regardless.
Speaker 5: It ain't like, you know, if he has a bad year this year, he ain't gonna play in the league no more.
Speaker 3: All right, He's gonna have his bread. McCarthy.
Speaker 5: He has already been to the pinnacle, taking a team to the super Bowl, taking multiple teams to the playoffs. You just got done talking about three twelve win seasons. If he doesn't succeed here about going to the playoffs and losing in the first round, I don't think it'll be his last time ever coaching in the National Football League. Zimmer, you know he's the second place right now. You know, he went from a head coach now he's in DC. If he doesn't succeed as a DC, it's gonna be tough. But I'm sure he'll get another gig out there, Mizi Smith right now. To me, this is kind of like a make or break year for him. He doesn't want to go down as being one of the few first round busts that the Cowboys have had in the past decade. I mean, if you look at it from twenty ten to now, there's only been really one that we consider a bus and that was Taco Charlton.
Speaker 3: You don't want to go down that road.
Speaker 5: And then if you don't succeed this year, he don't put good tape out there, Who's gonna pick you up? So he's fighting for in my opinion, he's fighting for individually his football career.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm sure he'll get another chance if he doesn't work out here, But will he be that guy, I'm not so sure. So to me, there's a lot of pressure on Manzi to go out there and succeed. Now, if we're talking about you know, team success and all that, of course is gonna be Dak Prescott because he's gonna have the ball in order for this team to be successful. But individually, I'm leaning towards Monz Smith on this one.
Speaker 4: He pulled to you right there, he pulled you. He took all the points off the tape right he took all the points out.
Speaker 3: He was a couple, you know. I mean, I'm in agreement with you.
Speaker 4: But I think when it comes down to Mazie, because he was a rookie last season, he still has years to develop into that. I mean, and look, you know, hey, that first year is unforgiving and people are gonna start if you have another one you follow that up, they're just gonna go ahead and put you in your little bubble and they gonna call you what you are. Right to me, it's Mike McCarthy. Mike McCarthy. I think last season when the playoffs, that team just did not respond at all. And that's on him. And he's in his last season under contract, and I think that that pressure. You know, if the Cowboys get off to we were already talking about the schedule, and if the Cowboys get off to a rough start, man the rumors and it's gonna start dinging immediately, So the.
Speaker 3: Pressure is right there.
Speaker 4: I think when you talk about Dak, you're right, we lose a draw, he's gonna end up on his feet because he's already one of the highest paid quarterbacks. But what does that do for his legacy. I don't know what what you guys think about that, but for me, it's Mike McCarthy because I think he's in a situation where, look, even if he starts off hot, finish twelve and five again. All right, finish twelve and five again, and you get destroyed in the playoffs set it's a wrap. You know, he can't afford to have the same type of season. Matter of fact, he's gonna have to push this team even further. And that's why I feel like the pressure on him to succeed is even more because he can't just do first round of the playoffs. He has to push this team further in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't agree with either one of y'alls. Okay, I'm going back to COLDA Prescott.
Speaker 4: I think I think at this point, we're sitting here waiting for Dak to get paid. Right for the second time, it seems like you're going through this process of a man, prove it to us and let us know if you can really get us there, like we believe in you, We're gonna keep telling people we believe in you. We really got all that, but we haven't seen you get us to where we want to go. You've gotten us pretty much to wear every other quarterback well, Tony.
Speaker 3: Romo and all like you've gotten us there.
Speaker 4: I think the pressure is on you now to show us that you are really that quarterback who can get us out of the out of the first round. And we can put it on Mike McCarthy as much as we want to. Dak Prescott has had a few different head coaches now and he still hasn't gotten to that point to where we say, in the NFC Championship headed to the super Bowl. But we've had rosters with Dak Prescott on there where you say you want of the highest paid guys MVP types seas and then you look in the playoffs and you see that that production doesn't translate from the regular season into the playoffs. So I'm looking at what I'm saying, ay Man, they paid the guys around you say we got Zeke around you, Tony Poula last year brought in Brandon Cooks, Ceedee Lamb there drafted guy in the first round, Like you brought all these weapons in and we still haven't gotten it done.
Speaker 3: So at one point it's like, hey man, it's on you. Now. We're going to take a night.
Speaker 4: Said now you have to do more with a little less than you than you had before, and we need you to show us that you can do that. I think the pressure is on Dak Prescott, not that he won't land on his feet, but as far as his tenure here in Dallas and then moving forward, the legacy that you would have as one of the Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks. Will it be that same thing that they talk about Rombo of Like, yeah, Romo's a great quarterback, But I mean Dak Prescott is headed for that if he doesn't figure out a way to get it done.
Speaker 3: On the player, what did he win? If they look at Romo and what if you wanted.
Speaker 2: I hear your initial thought, because to me, I would say, if we asked this question last year, the player with the most pressure to succeed was going to be Dak Prescott because he led the league in interceptions with the whole lot of people like Hey, what is this guy? He goes on to lead the league in touchdown passes for the second team All Pro. Whether Jerry brings him backward not, Dak Prescott is going to be a highly paid quarterback and somebody's going to want him in this league. With all due respect to Jared Golf, you couldn't have told me when the Rams moved off him won a Super Bowl that he would be in a position to where he was making a kind of money that he just got today.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so for quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Man in this league where they're starved, Dak Prescott is going to his agent and Dak should rest easy. They're going to get their money, whether it's here or somewhere else. A bag is coming. He's got another three, four or five years left to play in this league. Mazie Smith is fine because he's a second year player. They're not going to cut him even if he has a bad year. They made the investment. They go stick with it.
Speaker 3: Off injury too.
Speaker 2: Tom Landry had a great line and Bill Parcell's echoed. He says, you know what, by year three, we got to see something. But Monsie Smith is going to get at least three years with the Cowboys to show he can do something before they just move off of him. Mike Zimmer one year deal right now for just being honest. The carpenter's tools are not what he's used to. So if it goes good for Mike, grade if it doesn't, I don't think we can look at him and say, man, you booty, you're not good McCarthy. I look at Mike and I just say, you're in a kind of tough position, you know. Did they go all in like they said?
Speaker 3: No? But you gonna get the blame no matter what.
Speaker 2: It's what I watched with Jason Kidd all first part of season with the beverage when they lost. It's him rotation is the bad. This is that they won Game six. You know, ain't nobody credited him. They got nothing, got nothing.
Speaker 3: I just laughed at that.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait a minute, This Man's eight team came seventeen down the guts everything. Nobody ain't got nothing to say. Luca Kyrie and the players do it. But Mike is in that situation that, hey man, you gonna walk the plank if it isn't your fault. I do agree with what you said, because he's won a super Bowl because of what he's done here, a smart NFL team should pick him up. But then again, we just watch a dude who won six Super Bowls go through a whole off season cycle where people ran his name down. So Mike could even be in that situation. If this team wins us say ten games, and they don't make the playoffs, people are gonna look at him.
Speaker 3: Oh, this, this, that and the other.
Speaker 2: This league can be unkind to coaches.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: So to me, when I think who's got the most pressure is Mike because some of this stuff is so out of your control, some of the stuff that you'd like to see him do. I mean, like, think about your quarterback who in the first year the system you're running as the offensive coordinator is second team all pro ceed lamb best, I mean best year he's ever had. Tony Pollard didn't have the year you thought he did, but I think, wait, fit seventh or eighth in rushing exactly. And they sitting around here, hey man, you you are you on a hot seaton.
Speaker 3: He was on the hot seat last season for those reasons.
Speaker 4: That's why the same way did y'all feel about that getting another job after this, Like he gonna be fine. I'm looking at Mike McCarthy saying, listen, his is the same way three twelve and five seasons, and you just said that everybody else.
Speaker 3: I'm from the outside know its just like.
Speaker 4: We know all in, didn't me all in like like, you know, we thought it was gonna be so, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think Mike macarthy'll be okay, you can think I think he will.
Speaker 2: You could have told me Belichick, wi' gonn get a job, especially when I thought the couple of interviews he haveing Atlanta about that. I don't know, man, I thought Quinn. I mean, you know me, I thought Quinn was gonna be gone a couple of.
Speaker 3: You know, I was.
Speaker 4: I thought he's.
Speaker 3: The success that he was having.
Speaker 4: Would have would have told you that he was going to get a DC job, a head coaching jobs somewhere early.
Speaker 2: These these owners are these owners are different, man.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know why these owners, man.
Speaker 2: So I look at Mike and I just you know, somebody's gonna look at all the success and we want the new hot coordinator whatever. And this was Mike last year calling the plays, getting back to doing what he's doing, and they were sensational and what's the owner saying that play it out, play your contract.
Speaker 3: Play it out play.
Speaker 2: If you think about it's kind of wild to think about. So that's why for me, I think he's got that most pressure because so much of this is not in your.
Speaker 3: Grasp but what y'all extended him.
Speaker 4: Though at the end of the season we sound totally different. It's not wild to me because at the end of the season, we say, hey, man, next year, going into it, they go twelve or five, only thing that's gonna matter is what they did in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Right at the end of the season, we're like, all right, they went twelve and five.
Speaker 4: And what So for us, like, I don't I don't think it's that crazy for him to be having to play it out to figure out if you go twelve o five, is there any opportunity for success in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: So I say that from the standpoint, and I go back to like Dak anywhere else, they're they're they're grateful for what the coach did. Boom, here's another cut. You're grateful for what your quarterback did, and you go ahead and you take care of it. And here it's like, yeah, that's to me, that's wild because I mean think like Jared god ninth season not better than das.
Speaker 3: Here you go big check, take it, play it it comes out.
Speaker 5: Are you getting paid for regular season or you getting paid for your postseason success.
Speaker 3: So Dak Prescott, we all under stay.
Speaker 2: He had an amazing regular.
Speaker 3: Season second in m v P.
Speaker 5: But if you look at his past two past postseasons, the past two what is it combined? Five interceptions? You know, it's not like he's the reason they're losing, but he is a part of part. And you look on another end with golf, he had some success in the regular season, but when the postseason came around, I.
Speaker 3: Mean he was hitting on all cylinders. They should have won that game. They should have won that coaches and passes. That's that's what it came down to me.
Speaker 4: So but even when he was in LA, I mean when he was in l A, he had one of the best running back he had him in his prime, he had one of the best.
Speaker 3: Come on, man, he had girl. Now listen, let's go back. You're right.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you're right, you're right what I'm saying. But they went to a super Bowl with that, and they had a defense. They had a defense that was we're good, one of the one of the best defensive line in the play in the game.
Speaker 3: So come on, let's go.
Speaker 4: No, hold on, okay, because Week five, historic defense came out of your mouth.
Speaker 3: Did I say, did I say said? Did I say his story? You said history? I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think historic was the No, no, no, I don't think I used the word history. You said, I know you're gonna go back. I don't think using the word I know I said was historic? Out is how many? How many if you take all it for all the teams in the NFL, how many of them would like to have three twelve and five seasons? That's you, that's everybody, right, And so if we're gonna judge Mike McCarthy and Dak together based off of their playoff performances over the last couple of years, you're not satisfied with that. And so either way it goes this season, it's not gonna be just getting to the playoffs with Mike McCarthy or DAK And I understand that regardless if it's historic, defense, offense, whatever it is, you're gonna have to get to the NFC Championship. You're gonna have to get to the super Bowl. If you're DA we talking about legacy and all the Dak, you gotta go win it. At this point, nobody wants to hear, Oh, it's twelve and five, you got to you got an MVP vote, You're all pro.
Speaker 3: That's just business as usual around here.
Speaker 4: If you don't win it, If Dak Prescott gets to the NFC Championship, he's good. Like they're like, all the noise is gone. So that's I think that's what we're talking about with Jered Golfer. Jared Golf had uh Todd Gurley who was Cooper Cup at that time.
Speaker 3: I so like they were running a good offense.
Speaker 4: They had Brandon Cook, Brandon Cook and so top running back Dak Prescott has had an opportunity to have top running back, top receiver CD Lamb. So when you're looking at it as far as what we're doing in the playoffs, Jared Golf has had more success, especially when you look at why he got paid in the team in a city like Detroit, where who the hell were the Lions three years ago and they brought Jared Golf in and everybody was like, oh, it's over for them. It's Jared Golf and all he all he did was prove that he is a top nice quarterback, went to the NC Championship.
Speaker 3: Read us here.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I generation that's what I said. Generational defense. Oh yeah, I find it, So.
Speaker 3: Let me go back.
Speaker 2: Then they want to hit your point that bar what Detroit has done. One they built an offensive line because we know that in the past, what's the way to get Jared Goff put pressure up the mill. He doesn't like to get hit, so they've given him a tremendous offensive line. And then they said we are going to be a running football team. They're running football team. You got a really good weapon of sat proud. So they have made sure, hey, how do we compliment our quarterback. We're not asking our quarterback to go win the game the way McVeigh didn't feel he could.
Speaker 3: So we brought in Stafford.
Speaker 2: Your point on terms of what do you pay a guy for regular season or playoffs? In a lot of ways, it's both, but you got to have the regular season to sit up here and say it's worthy. Lamar Jackson's two and four in the playoffs, dak is two and five. Both of these guys have got some type of thing going on here in the playoffs where you're like, hey, bro, this isn't what we're doing. Peyton Manning was I was ohero and five or ohen six his first couple of times in the playoffs, but you saw he was winning thirteen games a year and the culture making the playoffs. So this other thing about can you figure this thing out? You want to Barry Bonds went through it, Alex Rodriguez went through We've seen some players, high level players, hall of famers, who struggled a little bit to get it done. Peyton maint eventually got there, and even his last Super Bowl run, it wasn't because of him. That's the Denver defense where everybody else saw he helped out a little bit, but this was not the shareff frunt of things. So I say that to go back to you, I'm going to pay a guy based off the regular season about you know, and then the playoffs. You hope, you hope, but it doesn't matter because in the age of quarterbacks right now, we know it's all Beverly Hills and the prices don't go down. It is what it is, and the guy to me. You look back at last year Man League in exceptions, Man, you shakey, what's going on the dude in the first offense, first year offense when Mike McCarthy did his job. So I'm going to pay him based on that. But I do think with golf, he's done a nice job. But please let's remember they've added stuff around him and he's done his part. And in the playoffs, man, the dude performed, he performed. But it's still the same dude that Sean McVay said, Man, get off my boat.
Speaker 4: Like we didn't have things around around deck like we added like he had Zach Martin there, Tyler Smith, Tyron Smith. Terror still when everybody was like, you gotta pay Terry, like they say, hey man, we're gonna make sure that we give you everything you need to be a good quarterback.
Speaker 2: Because to me, they're the same guy. I put them in that same box of player. I put that, you know, here's the Mahomes and a whole separate category with this dude.
Speaker 3: He out here winning would do that? Really?
Speaker 2: That got mean you throw Tyreek Hill off the boat. He's still out here getting an elite guy, an elite guy. And Rick Godsley. He's talking about that. He's like, hey, look, can can the quarterback keep winning no matter what you got around him? Because he's that good and he makes other people better. And that next tier of guy is, in my opinion, a golf it is. It is a dack where hey man, we got to help him out. He's not going to be the guy that we're asking it. Hey man, go through this thing forty times or we're down ten in the fourth quarter, come on and bring us back like a Tom Brady's doing. And that's not a slam on anybody. Elite is elite, and there ain't many elites in anything, but they can they win you games. They can win you games. And I think Jordan Love, we're seeing another guy like that. Man who who's going to be coming along here. It's a challenge, but it doesn't matter because the agents are coming here saying this quarterback has this numbers, he's that pay by guy, and teams don't want to let him go. Justin Herbert Joe Burrow, You're looking at these guys and brother the way, I think Burrow is the same kind of guy, an elite player. I think he's an the league player seen them, and you take the Bengals of too Bowling, you got a chance to win on the final drive lines, that terrible offensive lines. You know, nobody even tried to hold Aaron Donald something, rank grab something, let her just run by. There's not many of those elite guys. But but if you're Jerry, we've seen what happened. If you don't even have a guy like like a dack Man, you could be up there with with Chad Hutchinson.
Speaker 3: When's the carter and wandering we were there that year. We ain't have a Q. Last, like I want to say, golf.
Speaker 4: The last thing I want to say about golf before he starts saying that's my boy. Last I want to say probably was the last drive of the San Francisco game. They put it in Golf's hands and they say, we need you to go down there and get us some points. And Jared Golf the opposite of what you would expect them to be is, hey man, it's on me. Went down there and made every player they need to play, and then it was on the coach, and the coach messed up. So when we talk about, hey man, how do you perform in those playoff games? Can you go win the game for us, not as the leaders. Uh Patrick mahomes place when you say, hey man, it's it's on you.
Speaker 3: We need you to go win against us. Yes, yes he did. He did part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, his part was that, hey man, it's on you. That was his part, not just go run the ball. It was hey, Jared, goff is on you.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, I mean, let us remember this guy was the first overall picking the draft coming out of cat coach.
Speaker 6: So we're not talking about something. This is some beauty pool. It's like it's like at the beginning of this But that's what he He got kicked off that boat. He got keck your man, that's your man. He did mean, but his own head coach kicked him off. Not only kick him up. Hey man, were about to pay this big old note. We know we up the creak and paying. We got to get this guy out of here. How many quarterbacks and they won a Super Bowl without him?
Speaker 3: How many elitue quarterbacks get traded in their prime?
Speaker 2: It's who are number one overall picks. It's it's rare, but they think bradholds Man, the GM of the Detroit Lions, bradthol exceptional, and he looked at it. This is what the player is. How do I help continuate to play?
Speaker 3: All right? Relate to our break.
Speaker 2: Let's let's get our first break in here when we come back. Any moves to make come June one, Let's dive into that and the schedule do that next. Right here, players Lounge on Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 7: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 4: I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and SMOOTHI King wants to ask you, what's that sound?
Speaker 3: That's the sound of us?
Speaker 4: Matt Picularly transforming our smoothe bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iie or Patalia bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch and that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only as Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowld unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 10: There is no eye in Dallas. There is no eye in heart, either no eye in blue star or a nose Star for that matter, and there's no eye in How about them Cowboys? Smeirnov knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing, an experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 3: Home or away.
Speaker 10: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys. Fans smear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 3: To the players loud.
Speaker 4: Enjoy excellent dining, boutique shopping and exciting events in the Star District in Frisco, featuring dozens of North Texas best restaurants and shops, plus a calendar full of family friendly events. There's always something to do to shop and dine and do in the Star District. Visit the Stard District dot com for more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Heck Maherson to players lines brought to you by us US US Marys and Danny Craye. I am new he scruggs. Okay, So that was a fun conversation. Who has the most pressure to succeed and just taking that in there. June first, that is when a lot of cuts are going to happen. People already know what's coming down there? The question was asked, any moves to.
Speaker 4: Make, It's always a move to make for us. I think maybe all in is post June June. First, Why did.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys always like.
Speaker 2: Money money? If you don't have the money.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't even know. We probably can't mention your names. Uh, but I think the smart thing for us to do is case you still got to be out.
Speaker 3: There looking for three technique or a nose guard.
Speaker 4: You have to because as much as we hear that they said, and they putting all this on Misie Smith and how last year was a different year with a different scheme and he'll be better this year. He's not going to be at ot as he may not be fully ready for training camp. So you're looking at a guy coming off the season that he had last year, possibly putting on a lot of weight, going out there, having to get in shape and then also test that shoulder out as well, and you want him to be an impact player for you. You have to get some more depth at the interior line. But you need you need a difference maker there.
Speaker 3: You need one.
Speaker 4: And I know Zimmer is looking in there and talking to Will McLean and all him saying, hey, man, listen, I may not get all my pieces all right, but I like to play big guys up front. I like my linebackers to really be impactful on my defense. So I need y'all to figure out how we can get beef upside, I mean beef inside on the interior line.
Speaker 3: That's a pause.
Speaker 4: Oh you too, alright, where's the being so Wendy, you know my thing is, Yeah, I'm on the same page with Jew and it's gonna come like for me. I know we're waiting on what cuts and all of that, but I'm still on the back train and what we're gonna do with this with this contract you know, after that what because again I think everything is predicated on what you do with that contract. Because he's pac manning your salary cap right now, and to be able to bring in someone that is gonna have some impact or influence on your defensive line. We're missing more than just that one. God think about it. Dawn Armstrong also left. So those are the rotational pieces that you're used to having on that front line that Mike Zimmer's not gonna have that. So, I mean, right now, as it stands, you got Carll Davis Junior, a bunch of other names that are rookies and guys that you don't you don't know what they're gonna bring to the table. So I mean, with all of the exodus of the players that we lost, I'm still right there. June First, I'm saying, look, we got to bring in some guys up.
Speaker 5: Front, no doubt, And I agree with all when you're talking about the front, defensive line getting that together, But we talk about all the holes misses. That's why I said it's gonna be the rebuild. That's why I said it from the beginning. This is gonna be the rebuild. But when you talk about adding pieces on there, which I want to dline. But for me also, I'm looking at receiver too because to me, Cooks he's a good piece, but he's getting up there in age and we see they don't really use him as that speed demon take off the top that we thought he was gonna come in here and be you're looking at a guy Tolbert.
Speaker 3: I believe no, can he take that jump? Can he beat that guy?
Speaker 5: Because right now you got Ferguson and you got CD Lammage, you're proven weapons on the outside Ferguson. I believe it's a top ten tight end the guys. He's a beast after the catch, all that good stuff. But if you got a defense, that's like, look, we're taking CD away.
Speaker 3: We doubled it.
Speaker 5: We're putting all the resources on CD. You think, you know outside of these other guys can continuously beat those one on ones. They haven't proven it yet, and we already know about this run game, you know. So it's gonna cut down to Dak in his arm and his ability to stretch the field, and with the weapons they have right now, man, I just don't see it being a productive passing unit out there unless you have great balance, and we've seen this. This team does not really believe in that balance, especially when it comes late in the year.
Speaker 2: I go back to Mike Zimmer and where we've talked about before. The carpenter needs its tools. So they've got to go bargain basement shopping here and try to find some guys who look at themselves post I need a job and this defense can help me get, you know what I need. So I look at that, and then as far as the receiver goes, I thought Jay Jones could have fit exactly.
Speaker 3: He did not. Oh he was here, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Happen to year which worked out for us. Linebacker came through here and then went to Philly. Oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: That's true. They balling on it.
Speaker 2: So that's that thing there. Just what what pieces can you find here? And maybe they can get one contract locked up here soon and and be able to find to more money other places.
Speaker 3: But clearly that's what they got to do.
Speaker 2: They're going to go uh bargain shopping and try to find some pieces that make them work. It's not crazy in terms of being able to go find some pieces. I thought they did that a couple of times when Dan Quinn was here, found a couple Dante Fowlers, the world players that fit what they needed to do. And one thing we know there are other teams in this league who are going to have to trims from fat they guts, some contracts are going to let go, so there'll be some good players out there. It's just a matter of how they talk to the players, what they what kind of contract they can set up here.
Speaker 3: But I do think the Cowboys should.
Speaker 2: Be busy after June first and trying to find some guys that fit, especially for Zimmer's defense number one, and then you know, maybe a couple of editions and.
Speaker 5: I could be way off with distance, So tell me if I'm wrong. But you know what is the philosophy behind you know, waiting to pay your guys that you know are gonna you know, most like when I kick the can down the road.
Speaker 3: And now we're in a situation where you gotta pay that.
Speaker 5: You got CD coming up, you got Parsons, and you don't have the space to go out there and get some guys early on in free agency, which leads you to, hey, I got to.
Speaker 3: Hit these bars. I mean, when's the B car?
Speaker 5: Maybe was the last time they went out there and grabbed, you know, a top top free agent guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this a it's been coming to be one of those things where you can't even you don't even pander to the fan base on it. Everybody went off of all in to think that free agency you were gonna go out there and go after the top notch free agents, and then once that ended, everybody's like.
Speaker 3: Well, what what are we doing?
Speaker 4: We're not even signing the guys that we need to sign in order to show up and get sign a CD lamb that contract is if you're kicking that one down down the road, he has another successful season, both of those contracts are gonna be hot. And then you have Michael Parsons coming behind that. So look, there's a litany of problems that are coming for the for the Cowboys, and you're just asking yourself what is the philosophy of the front office and how is this going to pay off in the end if because you can't. I don't think the TV rights deal is going to be that high where you can have five or six guys on your team being paid max and you know, altering the salary cap. So I'm looking this is gonna be this is gonna be interesting, and I think June first has a lot to do with Man, do you get that? When can you get Daxdale done? Because you can't do anything else after I think until you get that done.
Speaker 3: Church question for you on that one.
Speaker 4: If if Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys last playoffs had won a couple of playoff games, maybe went to the NFC Championship, is Dak Prescott paid already?
Speaker 3: I believe so? You think so? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So so is the hold up based on the performance of last year. So then you have to say, okay, are you sure, because just because they're saying amen, we like this is number one priority.
Speaker 3: We got to get this done.
Speaker 4: Well, if you believe that it would have been done and he had success last year, then how can it actually be the number one priority because if it was, you would have just done anyways, that wouldn't even be the question. So are you thinking, hey, maybe, because if they don't uh you know, end up panel and he has to play this year out, then that really then they gives you your answer for.
Speaker 3: Pretty much everything. I'm like, all right, well, how do you approach that? Though? How do you approach that?
Speaker 4: If they don't do it before June first or whenever they have the timeline to do it and he has to.
Speaker 3: Play it out, then he walks and you get nothing, getting nothing in return. You get nothing in return.
Speaker 4: And what's listen, we've been watching the team, especially in the last couple of years. They've been to take it. They just giving it away. So I don't know, man, it's confusing. So that's why we got to sit here and speculate.
Speaker 2: But exactly it is confusing. Let's get our final break in here. Let's dive into the schedule a little bit. I've got some thoughts about the first six games that the Cowboys are gonna play. Do that next to Barry churcheck Comharrison Danny Kraveney Scress plays lounge right here on Doubts Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, cruise t shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowl unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 4: Hi. I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants.
Speaker 3: To ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 4: That's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool iae or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie Bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs to play man. Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And they snapped the fresh down. Who looks right, It's not there.
Speaker 3: He escaped left.
Speaker 2: He'll run for a first down, just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com to the.
Speaker 4: Players Lounge, the schedule was set and limited tickets for the twenty two twenty four Dallas Cowboys season at at.
Speaker 3: And T Stadium are available now.
Speaker 4: Don't miss your chance to see the Cowboys live at at and T Stadium when they host the NFC East rival Boo Eagles, Giants and Commanders, plus the Saints, Ravens, Lions, Texans, Bengals and Bucks. Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com, Slash tickets or seek dot com, the official provider for tickets for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: He's so smooth with the look at you, Yeah, oh yeah, we got you camps. What's today?
Speaker 4: Man? Early Birdy present ended on seventeen, so sorry they went up twenty five Bucks, but they just about sold out.
Speaker 3: And usually when I say it sold out, it sold out.
Speaker 4: Man. So you look for somewhere to get your kid in for the summer, go ahead and sign them up for it's worth. The Cowboys dot Com slash youth camps will be there.
Speaker 2: You think about the quarterbacks on the regular season schedule. Here Derek Carr, former Pro bowler coming in with the Saints, two time MVP, Lamar Jackson coming in with the Ravens. Super Bowl quarterback Jared Golf coming in with Detroit. The Eagles have former Super Bowler Jalen Hurts. Houston brings in the electric Stroud, who was a sensational last year Rookie of the Year the Giants by November, who knows but Daniel Jones.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 2: The Bengals bring in the former Super Bowl quarterback Joe Burrow. Baker Mayfield made the Pro Bowl last year, took Tampa. The playoffs comes here, and then of course rookie sensation from Washington. Dames lsu with Washington. So some quarterbacks are coming here. Let's dive in to the schedule right here on the players Lounge. Here final second with Barry Churchick Harrison Danny krab newye scrugs for me. I look at the first six games, and I say they're tough because they're four playoff teams. Only one team is going to be in the NFC East to start this thing. So you're at Cleveland home against the Saints, home against the Ravens. So that Ravens game Sunday the twenty second.
Speaker 3: Then you got a.
Speaker 2: Thursday game that you got to go to Jersey to face the Giants on. Then you're at Pittsburgh October sixth. Then it's a October thirteenth game at home against the Detroit Lion. So at least you got a lot of days after the Giant game to get ready to go face the Steelers in Pittsburgh. But I look at these games here, the first six, and I just say, okay man, this is this is a challenge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want to you want to put something on that. No, no, I'm just you you want to put your numbers on there? Just early No, No I'm not, I'm just you got a pan over it. Oh you don't have your pencil. That's why you know, that's the first that the first set of books. That's the first set of books, right, there, you had a six, got.
Speaker 3: To put white out on it?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I just trying to bring a discussion. I gotta get I got a pistols bad. But no, I'm not trying to do that. I'm just merely giving an opinion about these first six games that I think will be tough because you got four playoff teams, only one of them is in the division. And when you get that team, you get him after the Ravens, and we know the Ravens are a physical football team, and just how do you respond that next week, especially short week after you you go through a potential battle with the I would.
Speaker 4: Like that I would like to do this here and say I'm not sure about the Cleveland Browns. Like I know it's on paper, it's supposed to be a tough matchup. I'm not sure about Nick Chubb, we Deshaun Watson again. Yeah, okay, all right, because Joe Flacco is the one who came in and got them dudes Roland last year.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: Cleveland looking at it, and they still trying to figure some things out. So I think we'll both be trying to figure stuff out up there at Cleveland. I know Dereck Carr is you know dere Carr, But I mean we watched the Saints play last season, didn't it didn't really look good at it. I don't know what big time moves they made, you know, in the off season. But Derek Cars still the quarterbacks. So I think once you get to the Ravens, that's when you start who we you know, because they're gonna test us in the run game, the Giants or the Giants we know Pittsburgh is gonna be a tough matchup.
Speaker 3: And then the line.
Speaker 4: So I think that Ravens game, that Stealers game, and that uh Detroit Lions game, I think that's those are those those are three where you like so much of those six games. To me, I think exposes who you are in your front, your defense and offensive front. You're gonna find out about your left tackle right off the back, you know, you're gonna find out about a bunch of right off the back, you know, insane when you go over the New Orleans, but specifically Baltimore and Detroit. I mean, those six games again, it's gonna it can go. It can go a different ways. You could You could start off two and four, which at that point, obviously some of the things that we already talked about who's under pressure, those things are starting to raise their head. And you got to see that right after the bat right before the bye week anyway, and you have the San Francisco forty nine ers right behind that. Yeah, it's a lot of pressure. And I think what you talked about last show as far as the defensive line, the running games of these six teams, it's crazy. You know, you gotta you gotta running. You got a running game for these six teams. So what has been our Achilles Hill throughout the season? It's been the running game. And if you are exposed in that way with their first year defensive coordinator, I think, man, that is those are just sowreds. That's gonna continue to open itself up over the season and there's gonna be nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you mentioned, heck, I mean you left tackle. He's gonna have either great.
Speaker 5: Confidence for the rest of the season because he played, you know, good against a T. J. Watt and you know Miles Garrett. He's either gonna have great confidence or they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Have to bring him up because Giants, Yeah, they got some tip of o those guys.
Speaker 5: So he's either gonna be confidence low or really high right after the value San Francisco.
Speaker 3: So I mean, who agent exactly he's gonna have a test.
Speaker 2: Cleveland is going to run on that. Whether it's Nick Chubb or somebody else, he's going to run. And then you talk about the other side of it. Can you what is your offensive line like? And yes, we talked about the left tackle, but go back into potentially gonna have a rookie center, So.
Speaker 3: It's going to be Cleveland is uh.
Speaker 2: You know, this is a tough match up here, and I would I would say right now just based on what we know before there are more additions made and then of course you know everything happens about what happens, come training, campus, health team ready to go. But right now I would say Cleveland should be favored.
Speaker 3: In that football game. I agree with you that they should be favored in that football game.
Speaker 2: Not that the Cowboys can't win it, but just based on what we know right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's gonna be a tough one. It's gonna be tough.
Speaker 2: So those these first six games, I mean when you talk about you talk about you mentioned it all run game, your left tackle. There's there's question marks here and that's why I look at these first six and just say, man, it's it's gonna be a challenge to see exactly what they do. And this this comes in about how good Mike McCarthy and coach Solari is with the with the offensive line, how he could get these guys roller can Zimmer get enough of the pieces that he needs to get this thing going. So there's just still question marks out here, which is why I didn't really write anything down because I'm like, man, let me see what you have, because that so much of that to me is going to be, hey, man, who can you get off this these you know, cheaper free agents? Who can you plug in and and see not that it can't happen. So I don't want to be negative and just say it can't happen. We just know there's some work to do. And Will McLay has traditionally been able to find one or two guys and you say, oh, man, I didn't know that guy could help him do this.
Speaker 3: They gotta go find some dudes.
Speaker 4: And that's why Dak and CD have to hit the ground running, and him not being in campus is so important as well. If he doesn't show up for you know, to the first week of the season, how much of an impact is that going to have on the synergy between those two guys and going through those tough games where you know the defense is gonna be all over them. I mean, you got to feel a little bit better.
Speaker 3: No, I don't. I'm not lie.
Speaker 4: It's just I say about the running back room. I just feel like, look, you're gonna have to have I ain't gonna pull out to the people. You know, You're gonna have to have your running game going to just to impact those six games have a chance.
Speaker 3: I was about to lie DC. I had to stop.
Speaker 2: End it there, bro, let's just end it ended right there. We go down this road, Lymph, Mary Church, thank you, heck Ma Harrison. That was fun.
Speaker 3: Danny Craig, appreciate your scrutched.
Speaker 2: For Chrispine, Josh. Everybody helps make this happen, Joey scrutch players.
Speaker 3: Lange will chat with you next Monday. Right here, it was Monday, Memorial Day. Next Monday, Yeah, probably nothing.
Speaker 2: I'll try to get something later on. All right, that's players brought to you by us. See who us before everybody good bye.
Speaker 3: Come on.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: It's ol'closs. How about is your truble here