Speaker 1: Episode five oh four, how to save money on online shopping.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live a life here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and back cole up. Because we have a lot of information for you in this episode. Don't worry. We are including links to everything in the friend letter that comes out next week. We just want to give people a week to listen to the show before we put it in the April thirtieth friend Letter. But it's a lot of shopping links.
Speaker 3: Jen is on a roll right now. She just got back from a conference. She is hyped up and wanting to give frugal education like drinking out of a fire hose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this episode is about online shopping, so we're giving online resources obviously not.
Speaker 3: Resource. It's so good. Yeah, just get ready. But first, this is brought to you by buying stuff. We all do it. Sometimes we feel good about it, sometimes we feel bad about it. But what if we made great, guilt free spending decisions every time we bought stuff? Sound impossible, it's not, and we wrote a whole book explaining how this can be our reality called buy what you Love without going broke, get it wherever books are sold, yes, or.
Speaker 1: Buy what you lovebook dot com because this is all about online shopping today. Oh now you're not going to be able to buy it used yet I hope.
Speaker 3: I think you might be able to.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to selfishly, but bookshop dot org is the best place to buy it. So that is at buy what you loovebook dot com. Thanks everyone, all right, So a really good one to queue up after this one. If your mindset is in the online shopping realm, is episode four to thirty. Four ways online stores get you to impulse buy. We want you to save money, but we don't want you to buy things impulsively that you don't need. We don't even think impulse buying is the enemy here. Some impulsive purchases are fantastic, but those are the exception, not the rule. So that is the first thing we want you to know is four ways to that online stores get you to impulse buy. And that's episode four thirty. I know the numbers aren't there, but that's the way I organize them in my head. So you can just count back it's episode five or click.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry. We'll link it all right.
Speaker 1: So let's get into how to save money on online shop. First, I want to give some context to the episode and the areas because online shopping is very broad. We're gonna give some context to the areas that we will focus on based on stats. So in twenty twenty four, US consumers primarily spent their online shopping dollars in specific categories. Forty three percent purchased online purchased clothing online. Thirty three percent purchase shoes online, so that's gonna be one category, clothing and shoes. Thirty percent of people bought some kind of consumer electronic like smartphone, laptop, smart home device, something like that online. Twenty eight percent of people bought like entertainment things online, so books, movies, music, games. We're going to focus mostly on like the books part games a little bit, but I think people are mostly streaming movies and music. Again, that could be considered online shopping, that's just not where we're going today. And then twenty five percent of shoppers bought personal care products online, so that skincare, makeup, hygiene items. So those are the categories that we will be focusing on today.
Speaker 3: Shoes and clothing, electronics, books, personal care items. Okay, so you know our new format. It's telling you how to get these items for free, low cost, a deal, or guilt free. So we're going to go through these categories and subcategories within that framework. So let's talk about how to get all this stuff for free online. So the first category is your shoes and clothing, and we're going to recommend Facebook buy nothing groups. So every area nearly at least in the US should have a buy nothing group, and if it doesn't, you can start one. Even if you live souper rurally, there's got to be a few other people around you willing to swap some stuff. So this is, I guess a little bit of a hybrid of being online. By nothing groups are local. You find them online, you talk about the things you have to offer and the things that you're in search of, and then there is some sort of meetup that needs to happen, whether it's a porch pickup or the person is actually meeting you at at a gas station or wherever it is that you decide to do the swap. Usually, though, if people are giving away their stuff for free. They want you to just come pick it up off their front porch. And then as far as clothing, well yeah, clothing and shoes go doing a swap with people. So this is also something that you can be the initiator of and organizing something amongst your friends, the people that you're hanging out with, the meetup groups that you're a part of, and letting people know that you want to do a swap, whether that's in your home or you want to go out somewhere. Granted, people are going to be bringing bags of clothes, so you need to find a place where that would be a reasonable thing to do if it's nice enough weather, certainly something you could go do at a pavilion at a local park or something. And so organizing your own clothing swap can be a really great way to get a handful of new to you clothing items and just kind of refresh your wardrobe.
Speaker 1: But this is something that can be done online as well. So creating a Facebook event where a couple friends are posting some of their clothes in this group and you are virtually exchanging things and you can either send them if they're low costs to ship, or then meet up or meet up at a central location or bring to other people's homes. So this is something that can be done in person, but it can be done virtually even with people who don't live in your city. So if there's people your size that you know around the country, then it can be done virtually. So again and we will say that this is the free These are the free options we're getting into more of. You know, we'll get into the really good stuff. But this is who doesn't love free? Yeah, I mean getting clothing and shoes. I love clothing swaps, like in person ones personally, that's my favorite way to get free clothes. I've gotten this shirt that I am currently wearing. I got it was a black tank top. I got it for free to clothing swap, and then I bleached it so now it is a brown tank top in my color palette. So crazy, and I felt good doing it and testing on it because I was like, it was free, so if I ruin it, no harm, no foul, But I didn't, I made it better. I love So Next for books, We've got library and I'm very excited. In our next episode where we're talking about how to save on entertainment, we will be waxing poetic about everything library, so I won't go too deep into it, but y'all, library isn't just for leasing or renting free books. Every library has a section that is literally giving away books as well, So then you have local free libraries as well. You've got Hooplah and Libby where it's still renting, but it's the digital formats, the audio books. Project Gutenberg, which is anything if you want to read anything published before nineteen twenty nine, anything that's in the public domain, so you really want to get your classic literature on, Project Gutenberg can give you the all the digital versions so you can read it on your kindle, you don't have to read it on your laptop. And then this is what I am really loving. Free trials for all the audiobook websites. So if you've tried one, there's probably two others that you haven't tried and you are still eligible for some free books. So we've got promo links for all these audible libro dot fm and audiobooks dot Com, so Frugal Friends Podcast dot com, slash Audiobooks that's audiobooks dot Com and it will get you three free audiobooks frgle friendspodcast dot com slash libro dot fm. That's obviously for libro dot fm and it is two free books. And this is our favorite, uh personally place to get audiobooks. And then virgle friendspodcast dot com slash Audible you get one free audiobook. If you are already an Amazon Prime member, then you will get two free audiobooks for your trial. So three two one get some free audiobooks with these trials. Just remember, if you don't want to continue with it, cancel it immediately. It's still going to allow you to go through your trial, but we don't want you to get charged for something you don't want. If you love audiobooks, by all means, keep keep going with it and you support the show at no extra cost to you.
Speaker 3: If you want to get some free electronics, you could consider product testing and review programs. So some places that offer this type of thing include Best Buy, Tech Insider Network.
Speaker 1: And this is where the links start in the front letter next week. So don't crush your car trying to write all these down.
Speaker 3: Crush your car.
Speaker 1: If you were listening to this in the car and you're like, oh.
Speaker 3: Oh, crash your car. Okay, crush your car, I thought you were using some new fangled lingo that I'm like, I can't keep up with you. You go to a conference, you come back and I can't keep up.
Speaker 4: Okay, in influenceder buzz agent, so bzz agent again, we'll have the links Smiley three sixty sample source.
Speaker 3: Now hear me out. We're talking free stuff, so you're not going to totally know what you're going to get sent, and you're not talking to laptop or Yeah, if you're on the lookout for something specific, this is probably isn't necessarily the way to go. But if you are super techy, you would love the opportunity to try out some new tech, possibly have some stuff to maybe be able to resell eventually. There you go.
Speaker 1: These are the things that you would probably I think impulse buy online tech wise, like I would rather go into Verizon to buy my phone my or Apple to buy my laptop. Granted I did buy my laptop online last time, but yeah, I'm going to smaller things. I'm going to be app to buy online. And so that's the type of thing that these things are obviously doing. And then for personal care, we've got samples again, so you could go on Facebook Marketplace and see if there's any free options Craigslist, free Cycle, buy nothing. I am actually more appt to get free stuff that way than paying on Facebook market because some of the free personal care stuff on Facebook marketplace or eBay is actually fraudulent. It's like not real. Yeah, so I'm a little iffy about that stuff. I am paying, like for a half used bottle of shampoo. I am more apt to do that than something that looks brand new. I want it to look used. But so that is also an option. But I really do like samples from sites like the ones just mentioned, but also pinch me and social nature are good ones specifically for personal care samples. So there's also our freebies on Reddit. You'll find a lot of samples in that subreddit too, also the buy nothing group. It would be good instead of just waiting lurking to see if anyone's going to get rid of this stuff, make a post asking if anyone's decluttering their bathroom soon, let me know I'm looking for X. You know, do a general broad category and maybe even if somebody isn't planning on decluttering their bathroom, they might think about it and be like, oh, actually have that and I'm not using it, let me give it to you. So make a post. If there's something specific, like I want to try a new shampoo, then you know, I post. If anybody's decluttering their bathroom soon, let me know I'm looking for I'm looking to try some new shampoos. So I would uh love and you know if you have an old shampoo you're not going to use anymore.
Speaker 3: I'd love to take it all right. Moving on to the low cost category, how can we get something for less expensive? And this is going to be certainly a lot of secondhand. So when it comes to clothes and shoes, two different categories I want to look at with in clothing and shoes. One is for your kind of like mainstream somewhat trendy type fashion. You've got part Poshmark, so that's going to be like, yeah, the mainstream trendy shoes, accessories, designer and casual. You've also got deep pop so this is some gen z vibes, y two K vintage street where that's the kind of stuff you're going to find there.
Speaker 1: Shopping for your children, yeah, or your nieces and nephews or yourself. You're just trying to relive those younger days thread Up. So thread Up has a huge inventory of women's and kids clothes, specifically some men's clothing too, although you all are out here knowing that there is just not a huge selection of men doing secondhand with their clothing.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they're doing with their clothing, but they are not. Travis is thrifting, I know, but there's not as big of a section at any thrift store, the guys versus the girls sections. And it's just so hard to find stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean tell that to Travis. He finds stuff all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it depends on It does depend on what your style is.
Speaker 1: Every time we go thrifting, he comes back with more than I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, then you've got Mercari. So this is kind of a general marketplace. It is great though for shoes, casual clothes. eBay is good for classic clothing, for both high end and affordable secondhand fashion, and then if you want to go more luxury however, with your clothing and shoes, The Real Real is a luxury authentication site. They sell designer clothing, bags and shoes secondhand. Vestier Collective that's international designer resale and luxury goods fashion file with a pH. This is designer bags, shoes and accessory, mostly women's. And then finally rebag specializes as you guessed in designer bags. They also have shoes and clothing, but that would be specifically for some designer bags.
Speaker 1: All right, So second hand books, we're looking at thrift books, better world books, but then we also have I mean, if you're on Amazon, you'll be able to see save with used, so you've got it there too. Basically anywhere. You could even look at your local bookstores. There are a lot of bookstores that do part new, part used books, so they may sell books online. We have the book Rescuers here in Largo and it is just like three miles of used books. I don't know if they sell any of their higher end books online, but for local bookstores that may have a used component, and see if there's an option for buying online or you don't really have to look local. If you're buying online, you just look for locally owned bookstores.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. Electronics this is a category where you can utilize sites like back Market. They've got a massive selection of refurbished phones, laptops, tablets, so that's pre owned electronics but have been refurbished so they can work nearly like new again. Also a site like declutter with no E at the end, it's just declutter. Declutt r great for unlocked phones, tablets, MacBooks. Swapa is a site that takes you direct person to person marketplace and they but yet they are able to verify the listing, so that's an opportunity for you to kind of be able to exchange your items. Gazelle is a site that specifically focuses on smartphones and tablets, especially Apple. So if that's a product that you are all in on, checkout Gazelle. And then you've got open box or refurbished items from places like best Buy, Amazon, Warehouse, New Egg and stack. You can stack cash back with racketin and promo codes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you do the big box stores, yeah.
Speaker 3: Which is awesome.
Speaker 1: I will say a tip for buying secondhand or refurbished electronics. I have found that you are better off going all in with the bigger electronics than the smaller ones. And I've purchased many electronics from pawn shops and I have verified my life laptop, so I'll give specifically a laptop and some air pods the laptop used it for years completely like one hundred percent authentic, not refurbished, one hundred percent new, like authentic, not new, but good. And I was worried about it because I was like, that's a lot of money. I don't know if I want to like risk that money on like a pawn shop laptop. But I'm glad I did AirPods. I felt less apprehensive about buying for one hundred bucks from the pawn shop. Yet it turns out even with all the verifying I did in the store, they still ended.
Speaker 3: Up being knockoffs.
Speaker 1: They were so close to being authentic, like everything looked authentic. They looked authentic when they connected initially, but then there were just problems and and eventually it turned out that they were not real. So the lower cost items, lower cost electronics are going to be easier to knock off and you risk fraudulents.
Speaker 3: So having.
Speaker 1: A place to that verifies and stands by what they sell is worth it. For the lower priced items. It's much harder to replicate a full MacBook, so not as many people do it, and you can actually feel safer about maybe the online pawn shop purchase. I would be definitely going in store for something that big. But if I'm going to like back market, then I would feel better about buying a laptop there, all right. And then we've got personal care, which again is a dicey one to buy secondhand, but I'll read it or I like getting it through by nothing group like somebody who just I tried this for a while. It's not working for me, like, so I'm gonna gift it or paying a low price, a very low price for something that somebody's saying the same thing, but they're just trying to get like five bucks for it. I use a very nice shampoo. I use an conditioner called Oliplex, and I look sometimes for that on Facebook marketplace. But I've also heard because apparently it went viral. I don't know. My curly haired hairdresser told me to do it, and I did it and I like it, so now that's what I used. But apparently it went viral, so that meant a lot of knockoffs. So I would say go with free or very half used. You know, if they're trying to sell you some kind of knockoff, you know, if you feel it, don't go with it. But you can find some stuff Facebook Marketplace, Poshmark, mercari eBay, Amazon Warehouse could be a really good option just for saving some money on a return. Returns are really good. So yeah, and I will I would like to mention a bonus.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So in.
Speaker 1: My research I found some bulk resale options and this is mostly for resellers. So you know those people you know hot bins hot buys, those crazy hot by crazy hot buys. This is where they get their crazy hot buys is from stuff like liquidation dot com, bulk dot com with a Q eight eight eight lots. I'm sure Amazon has their own like liquidation site, but resellers online, resellers buy these big lots for a couple hundred bucks, resell them online and make a profit. That is a business model, but it is also something you could do if you have a large family, if you have friends who want to pull resources your different sizes and you want to go in on like a vintage T shirt a lot or Christmas gifts because the lots are themed like shoes, bags shirts. I found one on liquidation dot com was there was like a like a bunch of cold and flu medicine. Oh wow, yeah, so like pooling with families to like stock up on a year's worth of cold of blue medicine, you know, so like all kinds of things, and this is where being in community becomes really yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean just on bulk dot com. They also have appliances like you can get a kitchen aid set washer dryer for like two hundred bucks plus shipping and not look into how much shipping will cose it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you could if you're nearby, you can organize your own shipping for these places. And they ship from all kinds of different so it's not one central place. This is literally like CBS, it's trying to get rid of this cold medication and it's at their warehouse and they just use liquidation dot com as this like third party to connect their stuff to buyers.
Speaker 3: Okay, now we're moving on to deals deals, deals babe, and this is the category where we're kind of talking like what types of coupons or sales deals might you be able to find on these things and how do you find those sales? So across the board on all of these categories you can use racketin so this is a browser extension that finds any rebates and deals for you and automatically applies them to your purchase if you have the browser extension downloaded. Use our link because it gets you thirty dollars and gives us thirty dollars. They also usually run a bonus in may of a spend forty, get forty or no use. Well it's both.
Speaker 1: It's a spend forty and then you get a forty dollars bonus cash back, and then we also get forty dollars at no extra cost.
Speaker 3: To everyone's just winning one win. So what it means for you is that essentially your thirty or forty dollars purchase is covered, not to mention than all the rebates that you get back. So we will get a check quarterly just for the online shopping that we did. Sometimes it's a few dollars, sometimes it's more than that. Like I've had personally a racket in check for like twenty twenty five bucks back in the mail, which is very fun to receive just for the shopping that I'm already doing. So that's definitely something to download. Get our link because it'll get you that that extra money.
Speaker 1: We go friend the podcast dot com slash Racketin is our link.
Speaker 3: We'll have it in the show notes too, but there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So deal aggregator websites, so you can use something like Brad's Deals. They are a partner of the show, and they will aggregate deals across mostly Amazon, but like a lot of different retailers, retail Me not Slick Deals. They also will aggregate deals. Blackfriday dot Com, which is originally for Black Friday ads, it actually aggregates store flyers year round, so if you want to see a store flyer for a complete store, not just like random deals. Blackfriday dot Com aggregates all those flyers online.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and of course there's always the trick of patients just waiting for a day, a deal or a sale to come up. So Black Friday sales actually start in October.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, prim add an extra day like it was just in July, but now it's also in October two. So like when Amazon does something, everybody else does it too. So now Black Fridays, if you look at discounts, like the number of stores doing discounts in a graph, Black Friday essentially starts in October at that week.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also usually without fail, if you leave an item in your cart, whether it's for Amazon, or really anybody else who has a shopping cart you're shopping online. If you leave it there, usually you'll get it'll trigger an abandoned cart discount, so you'll get some sort of email or pop up screen saying, hey, did you forget about this? You want a fifteen to twenty percent off coupon.
Speaker 1: I've actually done that with I've been really wanting to try Beam Dream. It is an evening drink that you drink like thirty minutes before you want to go to sleep. And I don't act. So the reason I haven't pulled the trigger is that I don't have trouble falling asleep. I am exhausted all the time, but I do love to have an evening warm beverage, and I don't. Sometimes I'll have coffee in the evening. Oh no, still doesn't keep me up, yike, But I don't want to be putting extra caffeine in my body. And I've heard great things about the taste.
Speaker 3: Of beam Dream. Oh fun. And it's so expensive.
Speaker 1: So I put it in a cart and signed up for their text messages, and I keep getting text messages with discounts. The biggest discount i've seen is thirty five percent off. When they gave me that initially and then expired, and then they gave it to me again, you're just playing.
Speaker 3: The long game. I kept playing the long game.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is like, don't put it in the cart unless you know you really really want it, because it will tempt you. Oh, keep buy it every day. I it's not tempting me enough to buy it because it's so expensive. But if I was on the fringe, surely it would have pushed me over if it was a little less expensive initially. If you're listening, you have a hookup to beam Dream, then I will gladly beam me up, Beam me up, please, all right, gil Freeze.
Speaker 3: This is our category where we were talking about how to now just buy it full price, leaning towards local, sustainable values driven decisions. So before you buy it full price from a big box store, see if you can get it from a local retailer or if there's a more sustainable version. This is certainly where chat GPT can come in handy, and also just local Google searches of the stores that you know are are locally owned in your area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you can't get it for free, low cost, or get a deal on it, then ask if the purchase gets you more of the fore f's the more things you truly value. For us, family, friends, faith, and fulfilling work tend to be the things that we value most. Most people value the most in life. And so if it does get you more connection or time with your family of friends, if it does deepen faith in the way that you want it to, if it does get you closer to fulfilling work, then that is going to be a purchase that you can make at full price without guilt.
Speaker 3: And since buying online is typically where we do the most impulse spending, or where a lot of impulse spending can happen because it's so easy and the barriers are so low and there's not a ton of friction, our advice of creating a wish list is still going to stand. So not leaving things in your cart, that's like, that's only a specific strategy for getting a deal on something you know you're already going to purchase, but primarily creating a wish list that is step from the shopping cart, waiting thirty days before buying it to avoid that impulse purchase. And then if you still want it, being able to buy it guilt free because you know that, Yeah, I feel good about this. I've waited, I still want it. I feel good about it.
Speaker 1: And then finally think about price per use. So this is, if I buy this, how many times do I have to use it to get to a price per use than I am comfortable with? And if I don't think I'm going to use it that much? Then can I resell it at a price where I can get to this price per use? Remember we can always resell things too. Travis will buy tools to make the job of renovating our house easier with full intention of reselling that and really only paying half price for you know, essentially renting it. But so, yeah, we're launching a budget spreadsheet next week Monday, April, and we have added to it an opportunity cost calculator, and it is going to you're able to put a price and calculate the price per use, or put in a price per use and calculate how many times you would have to use it to get there. It is also going to calculate there's another calculator on it for lost opportunities, So you're gonna be able to put the price in and it's going to be able to calculate how much you would lose, how much you've lost if you had invested that money in right, So these are.
Speaker 3: All tricks, a little dangerous.
Speaker 1: It's not going to push you over the edge. But the budget spreadsheet is mobile optimized, so it's going to allow you to open the spreadsheet up and track transactions mobile and before you make a transaction, open it up, plug into these calculators and see, okay, is it worth that? Because people always tell you to do that, But like when you're in the store and you're about to make the purchase, how do you do it? Where do you do it? You do it in this budget spreadsheet that we're launching on the twenty eighth, So be sure you are on the front letter list that you are getting the front letter every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, because next week we will be dropping a fifty percent off launch coupon for that spreadsheet.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm so excited for this because it's mobile optimized and it's beautiful. Yeah talk about online tools, Well, you know what else is beautiful and an online tool.
Speaker 1: And nobody who's ever called in for this is a tool Jill.
Speaker 3: Oh, good one the bill of the week.
Speaker 5: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is William. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. That's bills, Buffalo bills, bill clon, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 6: Hi, this is Lisa from Boston. Wanted to tell you about my bill of the week. That kind of goes along with my mantra it never hurts to ask. So this month, I was in the middle of a free trial of a productivity tool for my freelance business. I noticed on the website it really wasn't geared towards freelancers. There was geared to bigger businesses. But I really liked what it did.
Speaker 7: And when I got an email during the free trial kind of showing me around and asking how I liked it, I said, I totally love it, but the cheapest plan is still a bit outside of my price range. I might not be her target demographic, but I do like it, and I wanted to know if maybe there's some freelance plan that maybe isn't on your pricing page, and they said, yes, actually there is. Use this promo code, which I did and I got fifty percent off that.
Speaker 6: Plan for the first year. So I'm really excited. And if it works well and I get more business, maybe next year wouldn't be so hard for me to pay full price. So anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask, and wanted to pass that along. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I love this, Lisa. I love the it doesn't hurt to ask mantra. Let's all adopt it to act. This would go so beautifully into our framework of that third question, how can I get it for a deal?
Speaker 4: Act?
Speaker 3: Just even if they don't have it on their sales page. People don't want to lose money. They might take a little less money.
Speaker 1: They love your money. They have of your money than none of your money, and if you really want to give them your money, ask.
Speaker 3: Just ask. This is a beautiful example, Lisa. I love it. Well done, and I hope your business grows by leaps and bounds and that you need the top tier of that productivity tool if that's what you want. I mean, I also want you to enjoy your life.
Speaker 1: Scale pay for the enterprise version of that software, because you.
Speaker 3: Need to the big, big business one version.
Speaker 1: I hope to need the enterprise version of softwares because that's because I am an enterprise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a kingdom, some might call it. Well, if you all listening, have a billity you want to submit, if it's about building an empire or a kingdom, or just asking about getting a deal, or your name is Bill for over on the podcast dot com slash Bill. We can't wait to hear it. And now it's time for the route.
Speaker 1: All right, what's one thing in your cart that you're waiting for the right time to buy? And it's not in my cart because I don't keep things in my car. We don't do that for Beam. So maybe that is what I should have said you already Beam dream is actually in my cart? But a bathing suit? Wow, I am trying, and maybe we can talk this out right now? Should I get a used bathing suit? Is right? That is a debate a hot topic. Right, it's not like underwear, right, we're not doing that. It's not sucks, we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: How is it not underwear? But is it okay? You know what? I am making a face? Actually I have a used bathing suit.
Speaker 1: I've the coffee she says it about the used bathing suit.
Speaker 3: Everything I have to have.
Speaker 1: Thing she judges, she does, she does not use or kise.
Speaker 3: Listen, listen to me. I need to be allowed to have an extreme reaction and then and then the permission to backtrack it. Okay, because listen, you say nevers all the time, and then it ends up being what we do. So let me have my initial visceral facial reaction and then and then my truth telling where I do say that the bathing suit I am using right now is but see the difference.
Speaker 1: Between my nevers is that they are not judgmental. There I will never do, not things you should never do.
Speaker 3: I thought about it. You're right, I'm going to try and grow. I can't be an enterprise yet. I have to work my way there. I gotta scale. Okay, have an initial reaction.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll just buy new bathing suits.
Speaker 3: I needed to have remembered that this is the life I live.
Speaker 1: I would love to hear your ideas about it, my friend listener, just in Spotify and the comments.
Speaker 3: In the comment cells.
Speaker 1: Please don't judge me as harshly as Jill. It is truly a question I am asking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, and I'm realizing that. My answer is, you know what. Yeah, however, there are some standards with this, and obviously we're all gonna have standards.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 8: It can't be faded, it can't be Lucy goosey, it can't be pilly. Nope, it can't have stains on it, No stains.
Speaker 1: I have standards.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: We're looking new, but maybe we were secretly not.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, is there a used bathing suit you have an eye on currently?
Speaker 1: I see, that's when I'm trying. It's not in my cart.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 1: I want to buy a new bathing suit, but I don't know like I want to. I want to be sustainable and and buy a used one, but I'm not sure if I if it's going too far.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think it is, because people don't wear bathing suits that often or for that long, right right.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's possible. I cannot shop for clothing, much less a bathing suit online. It's just not for me. I have to be able to try it on because I hate the nuisance of returning things. I will if I change my mind or something doesn't work, but i'd rather avoid it, so I am an in person clothing shopper. We'll see.
Speaker 1: I still haven't decided yet. I'm waiting, okay, but it is on my mind.
Speaker 3: Well, and the thing about getting it used online is you probably aren't going to be able to return it. That's a big risk. You might waste more money.
Speaker 1: That's another risk. Yeah, we'll see TBD.
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, mine is something that did already happen. Can that count? Because usually I don't actually have anything divulge buying? Okay. I am not one of these people out here willy nilly with whatever kind of personal care, facial, skincare things that I want only willy nilly to judge, not you know what, trying it out? Okay, seeing of judgment works for me.
Speaker 1: I feel like it doesn't. I think it's always directed towards me.
Speaker 3: Two times, Jen, you're gonna be okay, and you know what, maybe you learn something wow. Okay. So I don't want to be trying out a bunch of different products just because I got them for free. I've really enjoyed finding what works for me, and I am willing to pay for that guilt free. So I have found this brand. Uh, it is called a dime They do not sponsor us, but really kind of clean ingredients. I've been really happy with it. But they are not inexpensive. They're not super expensive, but they're kind of that like middle of the road. But I figured out the products that I like that I want not kind of anything too much, but also not skimping out. And I've also learned that one order will last me for six months, so I will purchase usually in April and in October. So it's April now, right, It's about time for my dime order, and I know that there's gonna be a deal, right, They will put out deals, so this is about the time where I will re engage with like text updates or email updates to know like what are their deals. And I know that the best sale they ever run is thirty percent off, So I in the last month have just been waiting and looking for that, and sure enough, thirty percent off. Baby pull the trigger.
Speaker 1: I love that for you, Thank you. And it's something you've been using for a long time that you can say on the podcast and recommend.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, I've been using it for at least a year and a half now, probably.
Speaker 1: Nice and what products are you using?
Speaker 3: I will get their gentle jelly cleanser, A toner, hyerlonic As, Serum day cream, night cream, I cream.
Speaker 1: You really strayed from our Minimalist skincare episode.
Speaker 3: It feels pretty minimalist to me because every day it's just cleaning my face, serum moisturizer, every night, cleaning my face, oh toner in the morning. Okay, yeah, okay, dime. Yeah. Maybe we'll get them to sponsor us someday. That'd be real nice, get even more of a me.
Speaker 1: And I say it with the coffee, I wait till they have the big sale and buy enough to get the free shipping, and I too, only buy it six months.
Speaker 3: Every six months, I mean, I think that that's one of our goals too, with any affiliates or products that we ever do push, is that we are able to get you all a coupon code for it so that it's like something we actually do recommend, and we can help you get it for a deal.
Speaker 1: So that you don't have to wait twice a year.
Speaker 3: It works surt me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, thank you so much for listening. I hope you found it helpful. And the next time you go to buy something online that you will use one of these options before you just go impulse buy on a deal or buy full price impulsively. These are created to help you save money but also create barriers so that you consume less and so if you want more of this, like Jill said in at the top, we wrote a book called Buy what you Love without Going Broke, and it will help you create the habits, the mindset shifts to really be able to take these frameworks and save money without over accumulation. And if you have read it, we would love it if you would leave a review on Amazon, that's where most people go to deem a book.
Speaker 3: Worthy or not.
Speaker 1: And we really love this one from Kyle Tony, it Happened to be five Stars, says, Finally a finance book that celebrates you as a podcast listener. I already knew a lot of what to expect from this book, but loved seeing it Finally a finance book that celebrates you as a podcast listener. I already knew a lot of what to expect from this book, but love to see laid out so neatly. I love how Jen and Jill encourage you to find what is of value to you and spend accordingly. I think so much financial advice preaches what you should spend money on, whether you values those things or not. My husband and I have started assessing if we're spending our money on things we enjoy or on things we feel like we're supposed to. This book really explores that idea and takes it another step further. I do highly recommend it in audiobook form. I read the first half, but listen to the second half and almost spit out my drink when I heard the lightning round pewpeus. I only wish there was some kind of comparable doodle or emoji in the book to signify that this is a very official and professional book. This very official and professional book still maintained the fun of the podcast Lightning Round sound effects.
Speaker 3: That's so cute. I love that you loved the audiobook. We are hearing that a ton from people, which makes sense because we are podcasters who wrote a book, So.
Speaker 1: We loved the audiobook, we loved recording it, and we wanted to do something special for all.
Speaker 3: Of our audio files. Yeah. So thanks everyone for listening, thanks for reading our book. If you are enjoying this podcast, please do take a minute to leave us a rating and review. It helps other listeners find us, It helps us. If you've read the book, please leave a rating and review on Amazon. Even if you didn't buy it there, you can still leave a review for it on Amazon, So yeah, or get the book by what you lovebook dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by what you lovebook dot Com. Bye Bye Frugal Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni.
Speaker 3: Jen Jill. Eric just finished our audio book. Speaking speaking of we've been working on the exterior of our house a ton lately, really still recovering from the hurricane, doing things on our garage to get it ready for the roof. The roof is installed now, but we've got soffits to replace. Blah blah blah. Anyways, he's been listening to our audiobook while while we've been working. That's and amazing. I know, it is so amazing, And he said he loved it and it feels so true to who we are, which also feels great because you can't hide from your spouse right like they know you through and through, So for it to still feel authentic to him was really great to hear. It was also very interesting, so I have said, but not to him. He's never heard me say this. I think I've said it, you know, in interviews or at book events that he's not been at that my favorite chapter of the book is chapter nine, talking about contentment versus complacency. I think it just has to do with like the season of life I'm in. Writing that chapter felt therapeutic to me and it just, yeah, right now is my favorite chapter. And so anyways, when he finished the book, I was like, okay, like what stood out to you as they're like a favorite part, And he's like, oh, there's this one part that actually was my favorite, and so he had to like go back through it to look at like what it was, and it happened to be chapter nine, and like, no, way, that's my favorite too. We must be in a really similar stage of life that that chapter speaks to us. But I thought that was very fun. Oh that's great. It was cute.