Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoler, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: And it's time to move on to Dolphins Week.
Speaker 3: Here on mix Shots, Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola, Savannah Humoler, Everson Walls is out today and it is the day after, but it's also six days.
Speaker 2: Before the next most important game of the season.
Speaker 4: Another one on the road, Yes.
Speaker 3: Another one on the road, and it actually the task might be more daunting this week than it was yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as possible.
Speaker 5: The next opponent might be better.
Speaker 2: Might be but then again, they might not be better, might not be better.
Speaker 4: You know, I really appreciate your enthusiasm yesterday on.
Speaker 3: Our Oh yes, we and the breaking story here, Savannah has now she's arrived.
Speaker 2: She's now on the group text.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's regretting and giving out her phone.
Speaker 4: I was sitting there reading everything. I'm watching the game, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh boy, oh it was twenty four to three.
Speaker 3: Okay, at the time you made some comment. Okay, so it was twenty four to three, and my comment was, we got them right where we want them, in position to do exactly what we did in two thousand and seven, twenty five, twenty four come from behind.
Speaker 5: When Yeah, but didn't happen at least been somewhat scoring some points that game, right, right?
Speaker 2: Is that the positivity that you're looking for at.
Speaker 4: The time, Yes, because I was I was a little.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you were watching watching the watching the game. Yeah, here were my options yesterday. My family, as parts of my family anyway, they for some reason last summer scheduled on sun on a Sunday afternoon in December, a trip to the Polar Express in grape Vine, which is a grape Vine, Texas is the Christmas Capital of the world, is the way they describe it.
Speaker 2: And so everyone loads up on a little train and you travel to the North Pole. And so that was scheduled for four thirty yesterday afternoon, and I'll.
Speaker 3: Darn it, I can't go on the Polar Express because I got to watch the Cowboy game, and I got about through the first quarter of the Cowboy game, and I wanted to get a reservation on the Polar Express. I could have spent my afternoon much better had I gone to.
Speaker 2: The Polar Express and gone to the North Pole.
Speaker 4: Very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was, yes, pretty deflating. And my take from that game, and I know everybody's making a big deal out of can't win on the road, they would have lost. To use Jason Garrett's line, they would have lost that game at home, away the parking lot or the moon. That didn't matter where they were. Being on the road doesn't mean that you got to let some guy name James Cook rush for one hundred and seventy nine yards one seventy nine and the Bills as a team for two hundred and sixty six yards to sixty six. The only thing I can think of more than that was the playoff loss at the Rams for two seventy three.
Speaker 2: Well, that two thousand season, the Cowboys exceeded that, but that that doesn't count. That was a that wasn't a bad team, but also got.
Speaker 3: The defensive coordinator fired and Michael Parsons was drafted the following year.
Speaker 2: I mean to fix this thing.
Speaker 5: They they only had to throw the ball fifteen times to score thirty one points fifteen. They didn't even have one hundred.
Speaker 2: Ninety four yards passing.
Speaker 5: Not even one hundred yards passing. All this talk before the game, Dak versus Josh and all this stuff. No, it came down to some guy named James Cook, which I found out, and I didn't realize he was Delvin Cook. He talked about it.
Speaker 2: But but you went to Georgia.
Speaker 5: The names are his name is James Delvin Cook, and Delvin's name is Delvin James Cook.
Speaker 4: Wait, really, yes, that's interested.
Speaker 5: And however you want to slice it. They looked like they acted like they didn't know number four. They must have thought he was a wide receiver or something. I don't know. They were allergic so tackling him.
Speaker 4: They just gave him the ball, whether it was to run the ball or to catch the ball. He was acting like a receiver half the time.
Speaker 5: Well, he did catch two passes for forty two yards along of twenty four, and I believe he had the eight was an eighteen yard touchdown. Yes, that they didn't bother to cover, just let him float out there all by himself.
Speaker 4: Not that it matters at this point since the game is over. But what were his stats going back the past few games? I know we talked to them.
Speaker 5: He's been changed play callers ever since Joe Brady became the play caller. He started using cooks more and he's singular cook cook.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Well it looked like there was a bunch of cooks out there and there wasn't too many cooks in the kitchen for this one.
Speaker 2: Some guy Dave James cook.
Speaker 3: Ah, it only was good enough to get a scholarship to Georgia.
Speaker 5: That was probably a poor performance for what he did at Georgia seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Oh one of those days.
Speaker 5: Well, but you know what, their game plan reminded me of what took place in Arizona when they gave up two hundred and twenty two yards rushing.
Speaker 3: It's what we couldn't believe the Giants didn't do when they played the cowboy.
Speaker 2: Right, just give the ball to Barkley.
Speaker 5: And they attacked the edges. They attacked the edges. The Cowboys acted like they'd never seen a running back go to the edge. They didn't hold down the edge. And when they won big and you guys have heard me say this before, two tight ends or tight end in a full back. The Cowboys are out there with a bunch of safeties and they get out physical at the point of attack at some point. Sometimes you got to play three linebackers, and you know, and against these good teams that want to run the ball, and they obviously came in with the idea that they could run the ball on the edge of the Cowboys. And that's not a novel idea. People have done that before. And you know, somebody was like, well, how did Mozie Smith play? You know, I'm glad Mike McCarthy said, Hey, this was a group effort. It wasn't just missing you know, Jonathan Hankins. Jonathan Hankins ain't set in the edge. Yeah, I just thought they they they had their number, they had what they wanted to do, and they did it.
Speaker 4: Their defense just looked unstoppable.
Speaker 5: And then defensively they attacked the Cowboys up front. Dak did not have the time of day in the pocket. He was rushed and too many times he just had to throw it to throw it. That might be the most passes broken up I've seen him have in quite some time. But guys weren't open the way they were playing their defense. So yeah, that was not not what you expected to see out of a team that had won five consecutive games.
Speaker 3: You asked, I think before we came on the air, here, when the last time the Cowboys had one hundred and were held to one hundred and ninety five yards the San Francisco game this year, it was one hundred.
Speaker 2: And ninety seven yards.
Speaker 3: Say there, So I'm going back in time to find the last time the Cowboys. Well, actually you don't have to. This game doesn't count. Washington the end of the year last year was under eighty or so, so that one doesn't count because it was a meaningless game.
Speaker 5: Probably have to go to that last time they played what was there was a what was the was at the end of the year the six to nothing game or something like that.
Speaker 2: Again, those usually don't count.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, okay, here's one in twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty.
Speaker 3: Okay, middle of the season against Washington, that twenty five to three loss. The Cowboys had one hundred and forty two yards total offense.
Speaker 2: So there you go. That's the answer that question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty twenty done, County.
Speaker 2: Either And okay, since I'm on that twenty twenty, you.
Speaker 5: Know what you need to look up and this will take way too much time. And twenty last time a good offensive team. The Cowboys had only at got one hundred and ninety four yards.
Speaker 3: And just switching over to the run defense since I'm on that twenty twenty season right now. From the Cleveland game that was the what am that was about three hundred It was forty nine thirty eight Cleveland won. It was a three hundred and seven yards rushing that Cleveland had in that game. Wow, Arizona with Kyler Murray coming in here thirty eight to ten loss, they had two hundred and sixty one yards rushing.
Speaker 2: So Buffalo beat them yesterday.
Speaker 5: But those teams weren't ten and three.
Speaker 2: Arizona had a good team that year.
Speaker 5: No, I mean the Cowboys weren't. Oh okay, those were poor f and then Baltimore that year, remember that game. Oh yeah, covid well two hundred and ninety four yards rushing in that game.
Speaker 3: So just to put in perspective, remember how bad that was that year? Well, that's how bad yesterday was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely, and you know, and I want to hear anything about the weather. The Bills had to play in the same mess.
Speaker 2: That's why they were in the ball so much.
Speaker 5: And so a roof a roof maybe, but they're not going to do it on their new stadium, and they're not used to playing in the rain or prack to sing in the rain. When we pulled up, they've got a brand new and I don't know when they built it, but it looks new practice facility with an indoor practice field in Buffalo. Yes, so you know they're not stupid. They don't go outside and practice in that stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, you said off the top, when we were looking at Buffalo or Miami, which one has a better team, and they are two different type teams. Now that Buffalo has figured out what they need to do to win football games and maybe to go to where people have predicted that they might be able to go, and that is a more balanced offense, and that's what they've done with the change of their play caller.
Speaker 2: But you go back and look at.
Speaker 3: Their season this year. They are eight and six right now, and remember in their season opener they lost to the Jets on a punt return in overtime by Xavier Gibson, which so that is a game that's like an Arizona game for them, okay, And they somehow lost at New England twenty nine to twenty five. Okay, so there are two games on their schedule. I mean, if it goes according to chalk, okay, they should have won those games. I mean just based on what they have on their team. Okay, that puts them at ten and six six. Yeah, what they're eight, and it puts them at ten and four, ten and four. There are other games. They lost to Jacksonville twenty five to twenty. They lost at Cincinnati twenty four to eighteen when Cincinnati had Joe Burrow. They lost to Denver twenty four to twenty two. The Broncos were on their hot streak, and they lost to Philadelphia thirty seven thirty four in overtime over time, and these are all so these are all which is the one score, one one score games that could have gone either way. Well, now they have figured things out. They also lost two key defensive players, their best defensive player, linebacker Matt Mlano in early October, and they lost Tredavius White, their cornerback. And they have figured out now how to win games by running the football as well. And now they're in a position where as they talked about during the broadcast yesterday, this is a team in the AFC you don't want to face. Now you look at Buffalo going forward. They got the Chargers this week, okay, so they're nine and six.
Speaker 2: They got New England.
Speaker 3: Next week, so they're ten and six, and then they go to Miami to close out the season. Miami's got Dallas and Baltimore the next two weeks and then they get Buffalo.
Speaker 5: So you're telling me they have a chance.
Speaker 3: So I'm telling you that the NFL should go ahead and flex Buffalo Miami to the Sunday night game to end the season. Idea that's going to be for the AFC East, and Buffalo is in a great position now to get to where people projected that they might be able to get by the end of the season, which is the Super Bowl. That's the team that the Cowboys faced yesterday. It's also, as we talked about last week, an offensive line that has lost no games, no starters to injury throughout this season. They looked like it too, exactly, and it makes a big difference when you've got a healthy team at this time.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 4: I was going to say they looked outstanding yesterday, and they gave Josh Allen, although he didn't have a crazy amount of passing yards yesterday. They gave him the ability to escape and nobody was getting to him. They protected Josh Allen s Buffalo.
Speaker 2: Was able to dictate whatever they wanted to do on.
Speaker 5: Offense, on defense, on special team.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot of that to get to.
Speaker 5: Also, Yeah, because not only did they play well, they had a bunch of key plays repeatedly go their way in that game that you in the probably half game.
Speaker 3: And we have figured out with this Cowboys team and the way it is built, that you better get ahead and you better not fall behind by a couple of touchdowns, which is what happened in yesterday's game. And there are different reasons, not just the run defense, why that game slipped away from them in the first half yesterday in Buffalo. And we'll get to all that and much more when mix Shots continues.
Speaker 2: In a moment, I'm.
Speaker 7: Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 2: Snapped the press down. Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 5: He escapes left, He'll run for a perch down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know him in good hands since twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain.
Speaker 8: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cooled koola a journey to foutopia.
Speaker 4: Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: As you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more, or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, demit shuts.
Speaker 4: Kpost Roofine and Waterproofing the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, and Savannah has a question she wants to pose here at a moment, but Mickey wants to start this segment as we dissect what happened on Sunday. Well, the Cowboys got some good news about a half hour before the game that they had made the playoffs. But then after that there was a coin toss.
Speaker 5: Mickey and the Cowboys won the coin.
Speaker 2: Toss, so more good news. Won the coin toss.
Speaker 5: And the team that leads the league in scoring, has a quarterback that leads the league with twenty eight touchdown passes. Going into the game, he's second in quarterback efficiency, and the Cowboys defer. Now, why not take the ball? Since number one, you're five to zero when you score on your first possession, regardless if it's the first possession of the game or your first possession, and the fact that you play well when you have the lead, So why give the opponent a chance to score first? And now you've got to play catch up? Because when the Cowboys have the lead and teams have to play catch up, they can't sit there and just run, run, run run. At some point you got to throw the football. And that leads into what the Cowboys do best. But no, they deferred, and what happens immediately within six minutes, in fifty four seconds, they're behind seven to nothing immediately, and then it gets worse fourteen than nothing, than twenty one to three. Why don't you take the ball and try to score and put them in ketchup mode? I don't get it. The analytics say, well, you want the last possession in the first half, which you're not guaranteed, and the first possession in the second half. Well, what happened. The Cowboys could have had the last possession in the first half and they didn't get very far and had to punt. And they got the first possession in the second half and they got to the thirty nine yard line and had to punt. So deferring did nothing to help you other than get you behind.
Speaker 2: And one of the reasons that they couldn't do anything.
Speaker 3: At the end of the first half or the beginning of the second half, they were already behind twenty one to three, and the opponent knew they were going to throw the football.
Speaker 5: Now, just why don't you take the ball? I don't get it. I just don't get it. And I gave you the stat last year there were two hundred and fifty deferred on winning the coin toss and only twenty two times have teams taken the ball.
Speaker 4: Doesn't make any sentence put to me, to me.
Speaker 5: You're scoring, you can score, and they've been scoring the last three games. The first possession they scored points and they deferred. Okay, we're going to play to our defense. Well that didn't work out so well.
Speaker 4: Well do you think that they learned that lesson from this game. Do you think let's say we go into this next week.
Speaker 5: And they win the toss and we win the hoss. Maybe I don't know, if they thought maybe the weather was bad and it's like, okay, we'll play defense first.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll you know, cough it up, and yeah, they won't be able.
Speaker 4: But I just for just to test out to see what Buffalo's offense was coming out with. But they came in hot.
Speaker 5: This whole game is about the football, and you give it away. It's not a turnover, right, but to me, it's a giveaway because you just gave it to them.
Speaker 3: Well, and as it turned out, Buffalo drove down the field and they used a lot of run plays to drive down the field and they face a third and four at the sixty yard line. They threw went in completion in the end zone and Marcus Lawrence gets called for ruffing the basser.
Speaker 5: And boy, he didn't get his money's worth. I mean, come on, he's put it. He put a forearm to the guy's chest and he six ' five, two hundred and thirty five pounds, and well.
Speaker 2: He immediately pointed to his head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he acted like he got hit in the head, which he did or he got face masks, which he didn't, and the guy fell for it.
Speaker 2: So that gave him a first down.
Speaker 5: And not only that, they stopped and I'm not saying they were going to have a goal line stop stand at the two, but on the second play, after they've held him to one, they stopped Murray and they did not blow the ball dead. He's momentum was stopped and they let him go with it. I'm gonna watch my words push that such and such pushing thing, pushing.
Speaker 2: So okay, stopped. So now it's seven to nothing and now you're getting the football. Yeah, okay, so you got the football.
Speaker 3: And on third and six, right, Dak goes for thirteen yards and then Taylor rap hits him. He slides and Taylor rap hits him, and then Zach Martin comes over and it's offsetting.
Speaker 5: Penalty and he didn't get his money's worth either.
Speaker 4: See. I liked in a way when that was happening. I liked seeing Zach Martin step up and set the tone for hey, like, you're hitting our quarterback. But I think it was just like the amount of aggression he came in with because they had thrown the original flag for unnecessary roughness on Dak and then it came to Zach Martin, so it was you would have backed off a little. This might be a different story.
Speaker 5: But it was. It ended up being a push right exactly the fifteen. You didn't get the fifty because of that.
Speaker 2: You would have had the ball. Okay, you would have.
Speaker 5: Been in the same place, right, No, okay.
Speaker 3: If Zach doesn't do that, then you're at the but it's a fifteen yard penalty and you're at the Buffalo forty three well. On the next play, the Cowboys completed a pass to CD for fifteen yards. You're at the forty three, so you're at first intent. One play later, you had first intend at the forty three and the Cowboys ran it to Pollard twice facing a well. On the second one, a holding call on Tyler Smith set him back. Make it second and seventeen, and then it wound up being a sack and a punt, and then Buffalo gets the football back. Cowboys actually stopped him, stopped him. It was a three and out. But then the Cowboys can't do anything and Zach Martin gets hurt on then ensuing possession. And now we come to the Buffalo possession that started at their fourteen yard.
Speaker 5: And hang right there. So they had two possessions right, two punts. M hm, that's one more punt than they had in the previous two games.
Speaker 2: Combine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, fourth and eight twenty six yard line. Sam Williams comes free on the punt.
Speaker 5: And he's I was already writing down block punt because when the he punted one. When the guy punted, he did one of those end over end things. So I said, oh, he got the ball, and then the punt kept going and going and going, and I said, he didn't block it. How did he miss the ball?
Speaker 4: That was the turning point for me because it gave Buffalo the possession again of the ball going into the second But the force that Sam Williams came in with it almost was it looked like it was about to block it. But he just came in over on top of their punter.
Speaker 2: So how did he as the technique?
Speaker 5: But he came right up the middle.
Speaker 4: But he jump speed must have been so much.
Speaker 3: He jumped high in the air and so the ball goes under. If you with technique, you go for you dive for the foot and then number one you're not going to rough the punter and number two, you're going to block the punt. But when you jump like that, it comes down the discipline. You have to be disciplined to use the technique that your coach to use in that situation. It comes down the discipline. Even though we don't agree with the roughing the passer call on de Marcus Lawrence, you have to understand the situation that it's third and four and if you got to rough in the passer, you're giving them a first down.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 3: You have to, even with Zach Martin, even though we like the fact that Zach defended dak On that you have to have discipline and not use your head gear into an opposing player.
Speaker 2: Because you're mad.
Speaker 3: Whatever jay Ron Curse, you're facing second in nineteen that they have a second in nineteen. It's an incomplete pass and you can't. You have to have discipline and know that they're looking to throw flags on penalties like that, and those these are for the most part, the three veteran players with Curse, Martin, and Lawrence, where you have to have discipline in big game situations like that, knowing that this could give them a first down and take away the good play that you just made.
Speaker 5: And you're asking too much for figure discipline because if he was a left footed punter, he smothers the punt and it could have been a touchdown.
Speaker 3: So all of this, I think all of this is a great lesson for this team to learn as they're in tight games. They have not been in tight games all year. That could have been a tight game if you don't make the mistakes that you made in the first half of the game. I mean, even the way they ran the ball on you, you could have kept it within striking distance first half.
Speaker 4: With the penalties, what did we lose in yards?
Speaker 5: So anyone, now, yeah, I've got it, good question.
Speaker 3: It was the penalty yards were it's it was just four penalties for forty three yards. Yeah, but they were costly, they were they were the timeliness, the untimeliness of the penalties.
Speaker 5: Well three, well there was three of them, right for fifteen.
Speaker 4: The Zach well didn't the one with Zach Martin offset.
Speaker 5: That would get that that would have been fifteen more right, Yeah, that one didn't count.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he.
Speaker 5: Missed the ball.
Speaker 2: So that's a game changer. And now pose your question.
Speaker 4: So then I believe this was second quarter, correct the pass from Allen to Diggs right, and you see this play happen, and all of as a sudden they show the replay and you see the ball come out and it's recovered by Dallas. I believe it was.
Speaker 5: Was it Wilson?
Speaker 4: Wilson, You see him get the ball and then all of a sudden you see him set up again and they snap the ball.
Speaker 3: The other part on that, you saw Stefan Diggs motioning to his bench hurry up, hurry up. Yeah, when I saw Stefan motioning to his bench, let's go like this, hurry up. He knew he had fumbled, and oh yeah, you know. But the problem is the Cowboys bench is on the opposing the opposite sideline, so they don't have us look live at the play. It would have been right in front of him if they're on the Buffalo bench. That's why Buffalo knew we got to go quick here. And then you're in the opposing stadium, Mickey, you were there. I assume they're not showing replays of it.
Speaker 2: In the state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so then you've got to very quickly have communication from upstairs, throw.
Speaker 5: The flag and it didn't come down in time because Mike said he had his hand on the red flag ready to throw it. But by time they said, yeah, they had already snapped the ball. But my thoughts are the dude up in the replay booth, if he sees what you saw and they're signaling we got to hurry up, you think he should look at it, you know, buzz down and say I.
Speaker 2: Got to check this.
Speaker 4: I just have a question, because I do have the option to do that. Now, Yes, would it have make it made sense if they took a time out in that scenario?
Speaker 2: Could they?
Speaker 4: Could they take a timeout in that scenario.
Speaker 2: That tapping so fast?
Speaker 4: Go back and be like this is what?
Speaker 6: How?
Speaker 4: But on the previous play, would that have made sense to take a timeout?
Speaker 5: They could have, but that didn't That didn't ensure that they would have looked at the play. And if they did, well, then you did wrong and then you lugs both time outs. Yeah yeah, but definitely now but anyway, your point is well taken. They had the ball, right, They had the ball.
Speaker 3: So at that point it was a fourteen to three game, and let's say the Cowboys do challenge, they get the football back, they would have had it at the forty seven yard line in Buffalo's endo the field.
Speaker 5: But see and then here's and then here's what happened with the Curse thing right, because they're hurrying up caused Alan to get sacked. They lose nine yards, and now it's second and nineteen, and then they get the personal file for fifteen yards for roughing or unnecessary hit.
Speaker 3: So it was a double whammi there where you don't throw the flag what would have been a turnover for you, And then one play later, what after an incompletion which would have made it third and nineteen, And the way they were throwing the football yesterday, they were going to convert third at nineteen unless you commit a penalty, and the Cowboys gave it to him.
Speaker 5: And now it's twenty one to three.
Speaker 2: So as they completed that drive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course it doesn't mean just because Curse committed the penalty that they have to be able to go the last forty seven yards for the touchdown.
Speaker 2: But they did, Yeah, because you can't stop the run.
Speaker 5: And then it was a four yard run, a nine yard run, a nine yard run, and then cook up.
Speaker 3: For twenty where Dion Dawkins just pancake devone.
Speaker 5: Clark, Yeah, at the goal line, and then they get the one yard run by You knew Allen was going to take it right second. So they got two second in goal touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Ye short yardage right on the goal line.
Speaker 5: And but there was another one thirty six left and the Cowboys got one first down and had to punt with thirty four seconds left.
Speaker 2: And so that reviewed the first half for you.
Speaker 5: And really, we only have one more quarter to go, and I don't know if we even need to do it, because they had a eight eight and a half minute possession, I believe, And they just ran out the third quarter.
Speaker 3: Which was twelve runs, two pass plays and then the field goal. In that they went from ten to fifty four left in the third quarter to two thirty six left in the third quarter in twenty two what it was eight twenty two drive.
Speaker 5: Fifteen plays. Couldn't get off the field, yep.
Speaker 2: And so it goes on to Miami next here on mickshots.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor. Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 11: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by.
Speaker 2: Monday morning Swag Brisky and the Smoker.
Speaker 11: Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest school. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miliber own Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 10: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash beat scammers TX.
Speaker 5: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's the crisp crunch.
Speaker 8: The first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 4: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 8: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory.
Speaker 2: Topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi. That's what I like, tomit shots.
Speaker 4: Tis the season for youth football and dance camps presented by in Fizz Line. Don't miss your chance learn from the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and former NFL players at at and T Stadium on December twenty second and twenty third. Celebrate the holidays with the Cowboys. Registered today at Dallascowboys dot Com slash camps.
Speaker 2: Okay, want some good news? Yes, I do want some good news. Hopefully's on Zach Martin.
Speaker 5: Yes, I heard it, you know on Second Look or whatever, and they had it wrapped up. He had strained his squad. They think he might be able to be okay to go this week. He probably can't get in much practice, but there's a chance that it's not like season ending or anything like that. And you know what, for the most part, I thought TJ. Bass did okay. There was one play that they got a sack on. He just fell down, He slipped and fell. The guy didn't even touch him. And that put two guys against Terrence Steele and he got one and one came free and ended up in a sack. And then the other good news is the Cowboys are going to the playoffs. Yes, they are clinched with a little help from their friends. So I got this sheet here if anybody can see it, and it's got all these scenarios on how they could have clinched besides just winning on their own right and before the game started, So there were thirteen other scenarios that had to take place for the Cowboys to clinch a playoff before they even played. And the fifth scenario and the eighth scenario came true, which were fifth one. They needed Green Bay to lose, which they did. They needed Atlanta to lose to Carolina, which they did nine seven. It was that right last second field goal, and they needed Detroit to win the night before, which happened. Also, they needed Tampa Bay to lose, which they did, Minnesota to lose, which they did, and Detroit to win, and that happened. So they doubled up on scenarios to clinch a playoff berth without having to win themselves. So basically what it means is if the Cowboys would lose out and finish ten and seven, they still would be in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Amazing enough.
Speaker 3: Okay, there is some unfinished business from week fifteen though, Okay, and that would be tonight. The Cowboys need the Seattle Seahawks to beat the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 5: I don't know how much more help you can get from your friends, right, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, and I'm looking and I need to look to get the latest on Jalen Hurts as of yesterday, and he was you know, he was on the injury report questionable with an illness. I thought I heard he was traveling separate from the team, which makes a lot of sense. If he is battling an illness, you don't want him on the flight where other people are getting sick too. But anyway, it's a big game for the Cowboys tonight.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is because because as.
Speaker 3: It stands right now, after losing yesterday, the Cowboys need the Eagles to lose two of their last four games in order to have any chance of winning.
Speaker 2: The NFC East. If they lose.
Speaker 3: Tonight, then they just have to lose one of the three left against the Giants or Arizona, which is still a tall order.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you're getting ahead of yourself because the first tibe breakers head to head, which doesn't count. The second Pride tiebreaker is division record, which if they lose to the Giants in one of those two games and the Cowboys beat Washington, they got a better division record, Right, that's the second tiebreaker. The third tiebreaker I think is strength of schedule. And then it's you're.
Speaker 3: Going to tell me that they that it's okay if Philadelphia beat Seattle tonight, because it's not a division game.
Speaker 4: I'd just like to see them lose.
Speaker 5: No, they still have to lose. The Cowboys would have to win out.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh sure, and then they need to.
Speaker 5: Lose another game, and that would have been to lose another game, and that would be another just one of their last four. That would that would mean they lost another NFC game, right, and the Cowboys have lost two.
Speaker 2: Okay, explain to me. Just explain to me, if.
Speaker 5: They lose to the Giants, well, the Cowboys have lost three.
Speaker 3: NFC right, Just explain this to me, Mickey, Is it possible. Tell me these scenarios where it's possible Cowboys, it's a given Cowboys went out. Yeah, where the Eagles only have to lose one time, and the Cowboys win the NFC East because they.
Speaker 5: Would be tied right, the same record, and then the next the next tie breakers head to head, which they split, and the next tiebreaker is division record. So if they lose, so the Cowboys are already ahead.
Speaker 12: Of them, okay, right, exactly the half game, right, So they need to win their next two division games against the Giants, and the Cowboys would have to beat Washington, which we're assuming.
Speaker 5: So now it goes to the third tiebreaker, and I swear it's strength of schedule, so we'll see what happened. That has to and then the next one I believe is the conference record, and the Cowboys would have three losses in the conference. They would have say they lose well, all their next games are conference games.
Speaker 3: Yes, they've got Seattle, they've got the Giants, they've got Arizona, and they've got the Giants.
Speaker 5: Okay, so they would they would win on that for sure, because if they will know because if they lose, they'll have a loss to the Cowboys, a loss to Seattle. If they lose to Seattle, and then the previous loss was the Jets ye out of conference, so they would only have two conference losses. The Cowboys would have three right the Arizona games, so they would host that. Yeah, so it's got to play out.
Speaker 2: That's why I was continuing, they needed to lose twice.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, okay, but I'm pretty sure the conference thing is the.
Speaker 2: Foot I haven't. I haven't studied it all the way through.
Speaker 5: I was helping you had I did. I mean, I studied the scenarios.
Speaker 4: So we're big Seahawks people tonight.
Speaker 5: That would that would certainly.
Speaker 4: Help exactly Gino Smith if.
Speaker 5: He's healthy, he's not playing for sure.
Speaker 4: Well Jalen might not be playing.
Speaker 5: Either, watch out one way or the other.
Speaker 3: All right, anything else from yesterday and your journey to Buffalo you would.
Speaker 2: Like to share with us before we truly.
Speaker 3: Move on to Miami tomorrow because we do not need to dwell on this thing any longer.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking, although way, we will be.
Speaker 2: Dwelling on it because ever so, we'll be back and he'll dwell on.
Speaker 5: It and then, yeah, anything else I wanted to chew on after giving up thirty some points in two of the last three games, let me.
Speaker 4: Just ask this question, if we hit the reset button today, what does that reset look like this week for the Cowboys? Meaning meaning, what do we need to do this week in preparation as far as hitting that reset button? We have another road game ahead against a huge opponent. Reset button? Is it injuries?
Speaker 2: Penalties and along those lines the run defense?
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, I know what was said after the game, and I'm not pointing fingers at any one person or anything, but Jonathan Hankins makes a difference, right.
Speaker 5: I agree, But when you're attacking the edge, Hankins is not on the edge, right, And so this is a matter of discipline on the defensive ends.
Speaker 3: And they played, which is the issue that the Cowboys ran into against Arizona even was.
Speaker 2: Not setting the edge.
Speaker 5: And they tried, I know they I was gonna look at the snap count. They tried using Chauncey Golston a little more at the defensive end. I believe that's where he was. Colston, he had forty of the snaps. They got him listed a defensive tackle, but I saw him at end quite a bit. And the fact that they keep putting Micah Parsons on the line of scrimmage and he ended up with one was it one tackle and two?
Speaker 2: I think it was too total?
Speaker 5: Two assisted tackles? Yeah, that's it zeroed out, got taken out of the game. They made him play the run and so yeah, he said, yeah, it's mind boggling how we can't win on the road or against good teams.
Speaker 3: Right, And I'm with you, I don't care whether it's home. The biggest difference that this team has not been able to play as well.
Speaker 2: On the road.
Speaker 3: It's who they're playing on the Road's right, exactly. They played San Francisco, they lost to San Francisco, Philadelphia and Buffalo. All three teams have been picked by somebody along the line to go to the Super Bowl this year. Okay, that that's they didn't play. They played Philadelphia at home, and they want them. They wanted home, but Philadelphia wasn't playing the same last week at home when they played them here as they were a month earlier. They wasn't the same team, That's what it was a month earlier.
Speaker 5: Well, they've only played three teams with winning records at the time at home. Right the Jets were one to zero, Philadelphia had a winning record, and Seattle was six and five, and I.
Speaker 3: Had one in six weeks now until the night, we've got our hopes on. But it's just been a lot easier home schedule than what the road schedule has been exactly, And they have and they put up numbers against bad teams on the road, but it's and again go back to the Arizona game. They were playing without three offensive linemen. And I don't care if they weren't playing without those three offensive linemen on any of the home games. They're not putting forty points up on the board on any others.
Speaker 5: And they really didn't play bad at Philadelphia. They were within inches of when it.
Speaker 2: Was game exactly.
Speaker 5: So we got this Buffalo game in the San Francisco game, basically is what they have to look at and say, Okay, now, why did we lose this game? It wasn't because they were sleeping in a hotel room. It wasn't because they had to take a flight.
Speaker 3: That's fallen behind, Yes, and then falling further victim to a physical run.
Speaker 5: Game and a weird and all those weird plays we pointed out that kind of turned the game around. Penalties and the penalties. All right, see, we got it, we figured it out.
Speaker 2: We have now they just need to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll back at you again tomorrow at noon here on Mixshots, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.