Speaker 1: Let me get to some quick hitters. We'll continue in the NBA. Did y'all see that game last night Houston Rockets Memphis Grizzlies.
Speaker 2: Did you see it? I know I saw it Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: As the Rockets won twenty to one nineteen in the battle between the two and three seeds in the Western Conference. Ladies and gentlemen, if this is the Western Conference finals matchup, I'd love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: John Morant didn't played last night. You'll go in there and play last night for the Houston Rockets. I don't give a damn. That kid, Jalen Green is gonna be a star. That kid a Men Thompson. Remember I keep telling y'all this brother turned twenty two January thirtieth, This brother Amen Thompson, special, special, fierce, defender, rebounder, competitor, and he's got a game that's just blossoming. He made you doka than me. Is one of the best coaches in the game. He's gonna win a championship in Houston. Houston Rockets. I mean, Jenkins can coach butt off. Memphis is Memphis to be respected. John Moran brings his game, make no mistake about it. Memphis is formidable. But the Houston Rockets, I'm telling y'all. I'm telling y'all, Houston is gonna make some noise.
Speaker 2: Houston.
Speaker 1: I'm not even sure it's right to say they're piece away. I just think their experience away. I love what I'm seeing in Houston. I love what Emai Udoka is doing. Keep your eyes on it, y'all. Houston Rockets, they come, and y'all they coming. Now, let's talk about the All Star Game, please. The Eastern and Western Conference teams have been named, but there's a glaring omission on the Eastern roster. In some people's eyes anyway, it's LaMelo Ball. Ball is not the first player to lead his position group and fan voting that is not named an All Star the voting. The voting format changed in twenty sixteen twenty seventeen season. It's a factor in fans, media and players, Okay, And that's why LaMelo Ball didn't get in because the media and the players didn't have him as the top guy. The fans did because they want to see a brother put on the show. He averaging like twenty eight points a game, but he shooting like forty two percent for the field, like thirty three percent for three point range. He's a volume shooter. I'm not questioning the Lamello's game. The brother can ball. Here's what I would tell you. Your team is twelve and thirty two, that's what happens. You you miss All Star games when your team is twenty games under five hundred, That's what happens. That's the way it goes. And to me, that's not the biggest snub. Ladies and gentleman. Kyrie Irvin for the Dallas Mavericks. What about him? What about Kyrie Irving? I got it even better. You see what he's doing. Twenty four point two points, forty percent shoot from the fear, forty two percent from three point range, and they win when he's on the court, even with our Lukadancik. Kyrie is special and he's made for All Star Weekend?
Speaker 2: Why he ain't there?
Speaker 1: Here's another one, Ladies and gentlemen, you're ready for this. How about the Clippers Norman Powell. I'm not in any way saying James Harden doesn't deserve it, because he does. He's had a great he's had a damn good season and he's really resurrected his career, and it reminded us all of the respect that he deserves. James Harden I'm talking about. But how about Norman Powell brother averaging about twenty four game shooting about forty three percent for three point range.
Speaker 2: The Clippers are.
Speaker 1: Seven games over five hundred, and this dude has been to reserve his entire career and has worked this tail off. Never cheats you, always comes ready to ball always, Norman Powell.
Speaker 2: To me, that's the biggest snub of them all.
Speaker 1: Clippers the seven games over five hundred KWHI Leonard has missed about thirty eight thirty nine games, and the Clippers the seven games over five hundred, in the top six seed in the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: Why the hell ain't Norman Powell live? He deserves it. He deserves it.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying. Let's talk about the NBA commissioner Adam Silver, who made waves earlier this week. By the way, Silver appeared on the Dan Patrick Show and said that he was in favor of the league shortening the game for forty eight minutes to forty minutes. Here's what the commissioner had to say. Quote, the NBA is the only league that plays forty eight minutes. I am a fan of four to ten minute quarters. I'm not sure that many others are. I mean, putting aside what it means for records and things like that, I think that a two hour format for a game is more consistent with modern television habits. Incidentally, if you went to a forty minute game with the minutes around load management and resting, it would be the equivalent of I don't know exact math, taking like fifteen games off the season. I don't want to hear that. I get where Adam Silver's coming from. Limit the minute minutes. It amounts to about fifteen less games a year when you take into account the minutes because you chopping eight minutes off of regulation. I get that part. I get the part about the modern day era of television watchers and how it appears to be viewer for friendly with what he was suggesting, Sir Commissioner. That is not the problem. The problem is the effort. How many concessions are you going to make for players who just don't want to come to work? I mean, come on, come on, now, you give him, you chop it down to forty minutes, it still ain't gona stop them from load managing. It's still not gonna stop them from missing games. It's still not gonna stop them from being lack of days ago at times. I'm not talking about all, I'm not talking about most, but some it's still not gonna get them to prioritize stuff like All Star weekend. The commissioner somebody sent me a text yesterday and I thought it was very, very profound, especially when they were talking about All Star Weekend. They said, the players look at the league like a bank, not like partners. The bank has your money. We gotta go to the bank to get the money. So okay, that's what we gotta do. But we don't like going to the bank. We don't like dealing with them, but we have no choice because they got our money. The person that sent me that text was absolutely right. That's how the players view the league. And the sad part about it is they get away with it only because Adam Silver is an incredibly player friendly, nice man. Y'all lucky as hell commission to David Stern is in the lives and in that seat, and you didn't have to deal with him, y'all know good and well, y'all wouldn't even try it let me tell y'all something, and I want everybody to listen. I want my whole team out there to listen. I want my team right here to listen. I want to tell you something about David Stern, and I'm not casting Anya Spurgeons on the man. I love the man, and we had our battles and issues in the past, but in the years leading up to his passing, we cultivated a very close relationship and I grew to just love him and respect the hell out of him, and I appreciated the advice and the counsel in a straight, candid, no nonsense approach he had with me. Okay, let me tell y'all a little story. David Stern once said this to a network head executive. I'm not gonna tell you which network. It wasn't mine. I'm not gonna tell you which network. I'm not gonna tell you the name of the person. I'm not gonna tell you anything. I wanna give you an example of who David Stern was. David Stern wanted somebody to come to a game with him, fly out with him, and go to a game with him one of their network executives, and the executive said Dave, I appreciate it, and I will come with you, and I'll bring my kids, like David's turning to ask him to bring excips me them.
Speaker 2: Let's go, let's go to this game.
Speaker 1: And the executive said to him, only on one condition, you can't call me a dumb motherfucker in front of my kids. That's a true story. What is the lesson appeal from that? David Stern would say that to anybody. He pulled no punches. When we got in an argument one day early in my career, he called me a piece of shit and he said, lose the number and hung up on me and we didn't talk for two years. And ladies and gentlemen, I'm one of countless victims of his diatribes and wraths. Michael Jordan knows about his wrath. Alan Iverson knows about his wrath. Dwayne Wade knows about his wrath, along with countless others, players, coaches.
Speaker 2: I saw him walk.
Speaker 1: Up to a coach that was critical of the referees, and he walked up to the coach and smiled right at courtside as he was walking to his seat, and he says, do you.
Speaker 2: Like your job?
Speaker 1: And the coach, and of course I love it. He said, well, you better shut the fuck up if you want to keep liking it, because it won't be here for long if you don't learn to shut up and walked away right in front of me and other media members. David Stern in play, Adam Silver doesn't have to be that. I don't think he's capable of being that, but he cares so much about the players. My advice to him would be care about those who can about you and leave the res be to your discretion, because you gotta lead to run. That would be my advice to Adam Silver, who I also have a great relationship with and I respect the hell out of and I think he does a great job. Our last quick hitter is a shout out to the one and only. Dwayne Wade, the Miami Heat legend and Hall of Famer, revealed yesterday that he had surgery on his kidney in twenty twenty three to remove a tumor. Wade said doctors removed forty percent of his right kidney and that test on that tumor showed it was cancerous. He also said he was thankful that he decided to go forward with the procedure, while acknowledging the decision itself was a low point in his life. I've been tired with d Wade for years. I had no idea about this. Nobody tells you everything. I'm just happy that my man seems well and the good spirits. He was out of the country a couple of days ago here and I spoke. One of the best people I've ever covered in professional sports. Just a good hearted, soulful, decent at his core human being. Even when he was mad at you, he didn't come at you wrong. Class personified one of the best human beings ever. Thank God he's okay, Thank god he's feeling well. Wishing him nothing but continued health moving forward. I loved this brother. He's good people. It's one of the best people I know and I've ever covered in professional sports in my life. So I'm very, very relieved that he seems to be okay.