Speaker 1: This podcast, can it spoilers for Star Wars Visions Volume two plus Star Wars Jedi Survivor. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 2: And I'm Rosie Night and welcome to x.
Speaker 1: Ray Vision, the Crooked Media podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, we are going to the Galaxy Far far Away. For Previously on, it's a grab bag of Star Wars news, some sad, some good, some exciting. In the airlock it's Star Wars Visions Volume two and Jedi Survivor, which is really really good. And in that out it's a theory on a potential direction for James Mangold's Star Wars film. I mean, and it's so good. This leans into like one of my favorite parts of all Star Wars canons, So I cannot wait for you guys to.
Speaker 3: Hear it up next.
Speaker 1: Previously on, first up, some sad news on Sunday. Depending on when you're hearing this, it is May twenty first is the date we are speaking of. The Irish actor Ray Stevenson passed away at the way too young age of fifty eight. He was the star of lots of movies such as Punisher, war Zone AKA a good movie. Thank you Arthur. Yeah, can we talk about it? It's a good movie. King Arthur, the Thor films of course, as a member of one of the Thors buddies, Volstag, the Gregarious Friend of Thors, and of course the television show which brought him to my attention in HBO's Rome, star of the upcoming Ahsoka series, Very sad Man. Rome was. Rome was a show that it kind of got in there before peak TV. It was a tremendously expensive show for its time, and it was it was kind of a uh outgrowth of a BBC Yes series of like historical dramatic reenactment documentaries about various figures from uh from Rome's History, Ancient Rome's History and Man Rome Has Slept On. It was clear.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if you're a Game of Thrones fan, you got to watch Rome. In England, there were two shows that were just so huge in the era kind of before that big prestige TV boom and it was Rome, and it was a different BBC show called The Tutors that was about like young Henry the eighth and his wives and they both had this similar unbelievable production value. The Tutors has, like Henry Carville in it, Jonathan Reese Meyer's plays Henry the Eighth. There's all kinds of incredible famous people. But when it comes to Rome, if you've seen it, Ray Stevenson's character is the character you will remember like every time.
Speaker 1: It's He plays Titus Polo, who is this a former Roman soldier who falls like into criminality and immorality. He's kind of a nihilist. He's seen so much violence that he just kind of like doesn't care about anything anymore. And then the show revolves around Titus Polo's friendship with the centurion Lucius Vernus, who's more of this upright, you know, very by the book character, and it has a little bit of Rosencrans and gilded quality to it. Yeah, definitely, very minor characters who kind of just below the scope of history are affecting these massive events, like one.
Speaker 2: Of my favorite ways to tell a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really really cool and their friendship is wonderful, and they did a lot. It's like the early seasons of Game of Thrones right where they didn't have the budget so they couldn't really show you the battle, you'd see like a horse galloping in and then you'd come back and everything.
Speaker 2: The lost time in the in the fleet pits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he was truly wonderful in that and that's the show got canceled in the second season because it was too expensive, so they essentially had to take four see or five seasons worth of material or you know, four remaining seasons worth of material and like kind of condense it into one season. But it's still it's still wonderful, and yeah, it's a wonderful physical actor in that role like action drama, emotion. Uh, and it's it's quite sad.
Speaker 2: It is, really, it's really sad loss. And it's very interesting because you are you're right, Rome was such and obviously as a lead player in that, you know, such an influential show because I Always Forget was created by John Millius, so it also has that prestige TV thing of being like a visionary director taking on a show. But yeah, without Ray and that kind of journey that Pulo goes on and he ends up as this kind of eternal optimist somehow in this like really fucked up world, and that journey is just yeah, that's such a great show and such a great loss. But I'll be really excited to see him in a Soca. I think that will be a really beautiful Swan song.
Speaker 1: John Millius one of the outspoken conservatives in Hollywood and also a notable gun nut and a notable gun crazed nut. I mean it makes sense. I think the guy he co wrote some of the Dirty Harry movies. Fun fact about John Millius, Walter from The Big Lebowski played you know, the crazed gun toting bowling Ali dweller played by John Goodman is supposedly based on John Millius.
Speaker 2: Very visually similar. Right now you say that, I am seeing the connection. Also, one of the best special features DVD commentaries of all time is the John Millius Conan the Barbarian Audio commentary because those people, and I love Conan, I love arnoest Watschenegger. That era of movies is like one of my favorite things. But like they really thought they were making like a Lawrence of Arabia level like serious film, and it is absolutely incredible to listen to them watching the movie back and talking about like their vision for it, and then you know what ended up happening.
Speaker 1: Do you want to do you want to briefly advocate for Punisher war Zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that seems well up our Ali.
Speaker 1: That's two thousand and eight entry into the mc the pre m see you. It is an extremely wildly violent movie, as its reboot is, but it also has like the pulpiness that I think that I think is missing in a lot of iterations of The Punisher. In Yeah, whether it be television or film.
Speaker 2: You have Dominic West as Jigsaw and like the most campy, like chewing extra scenery movie just so good, also directed by Lexi Alexander. So at the same time that Marvel is beginning the MCU with Iron Man and they won't have a female director for ten years, Punisher war Zone is directed by a woman, Lexi Alexander. To make this kind of totally out there, absolutely Bonker's violent take on the Punisher, which is as we know exactly who the Punisher is. Yeah, I think I like to see that this is getting a contemporary revisiting and seeing people like us who are like, actually, this is good, this is interesting. I think you make a great point. It's the pulpiness that's really enjoyable and what these kind of movies often miss out on, especially in a post MCU world where things began as are very grounded and kind of moving away from that pulpy origins of comic book storytelling as we know it. But yeah, you should watch it if you don't mind blood and glare.
Speaker 1: And if you haven't watched Rome and you're listening to this podcast, we're gonna go out on a limb and say you'll like Rome.
Speaker 2: You will like Rome. If you like Game of Thrones, you'll probably like Rome. And if you just like enjoyable, well made TV, you will also enjoy it. But it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Ray has played a couple of roles in the Star Wars universe. He is in the upcoming Ahsoka series, and of course he voiced Gar Saxon and Star Wars Rebels and Clone Wars. Speaking of Star Wars, some news, some recent news, kind of spoilery. This is spoilery, but it's out there.
Speaker 2: It's out there. It was confirmed by a cost member. If you don't want any spoilers going into a Soca, just you can skip forward a few minutes.
Speaker 1: I'll just say this. It's a spoiler, but it's more like a trailer for a spoiler because I would agree. It opens up questions that are not answered, and the answer to the question would be a real, real spoiler. Anyway, here it is from the SFF Gazette quote. In an extended trailer for Ahsoka shared exclusive with those at Star Wars celebration last month, Natasha lu Bordizo's Sabine Wren was shown wielding a green lightsaber. Now Natasha has then confirmed that she would be wielding a lightsaber, and the rumor out there is that it is Ezra's.
Speaker 4: Lightsaber, yes, which I think would be so cool, and I think people who are at so libration have said they feel like that is the lightsaber they saw, and a lot of people are saying, you know, it would make a lot of sense, especially as we saw Ezra only in hologram form so far, and if someone was gonna have the lightsaber, it would make sense that it was Sabine And something.
Speaker 2: Really interesting is In an interview with Empire magazine like very Big UK film magazine, Boudizeou said that it's been really hard not talking about my like talking about my fight training without talking about the fact that it's actually saber training, which is literally all I've been doing for so long. So that makes me think this is not going to be a small moment in the show, Like this is gonna be Sabine with the green lightsaber and she's going to be cutting some people's arms off as you do when you hold the lightsaber.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I love how.
Speaker 2: Excited would you be if it was Ezra's lightsaber?
Speaker 1: I mean it just raises so many questions such as, where is Ezra? Uh, you know, what has he been up to? And just where is he? Where is he?
Speaker 2: Where is he? Where is that man? That's what we need to know going and how quickly? Okay, how many episodes do you think we'll get into a circa before they answer that question? Or do you think that's gonna be a season long?
Speaker 1: Let's stay that. Do we know how many episodes.
Speaker 2: Is going to Let's just say it's like eight the middle, it's eight.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say by episode three, I think there's gonna be hints early and then you get him by three. I hope it's way earlier than that.
Speaker 2: You need to have him in that second half of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I what do you think the do you think that the main thrust of the plot is going to be Ezra centric or something else like get him back from wherever he is.
Speaker 2: I think that Sabin, if she finds out what Ezra is, is gonna want to find him, obviously. I also wonder if it's going to be more Thron centric and Ezra's, as we suspect entangled within that aspect of the story and they're coming together, maybe more about Thrown than Ezra and Ezra's like a nice surprise.
Speaker 1: I keep thinking about Thron and Ezra like hanging out somewhere, kind of like do you remember the movie Enemy Mine? Yeah, like a you know, so, like Ezra and Thron hanging out just isolated somewhere in some weird dimension or some weird planet and just hanging out there for a period of time, uh, and forging a weird secret relationship.
Speaker 2: That could be a pretty unbelievable bottle episode. You know, the friends to Allah like enemies to allies, pushed together by circumstance. And of course once they're off the planet and they've survived, they can never speak of that again or act like it happened, but that history is always there. I think that would add like a super interesting layer. And I mean, if you did it well, that could become one of the best episodes of any Star Wars programming of all time if you do it. Like really incredible conversation.
Speaker 1: And big news for those of you who are fans of Galaxy Edge fans of Disney parks, the Disney Galactic Star Cruiser Experience the extremely expensive. But also, from what I've heard, take the price out of it. Let's say you're rolling in cash.
Speaker 2: Let's say you're rich, you're a Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Fan, You're rich in credits and you're a Star Wars fan. I've heard it's really really cool, it said. The Disney Galactic Star Cruiser Experience costs like like forty eight hundred dollars for two guests.
Speaker 2: But two nights, that's it. That's too expensive.
Speaker 1: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: I will say. I I've only heard incredible things. Apparently it was.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It featured hundreds of cast members in active roles who were constantly crafts stories. Apparently it really felt like you were in a Star Wars film. Wonderful. Wish I could have experienced that. It won awards for Innovation in theme parks. But you know what, when it's six thousand dollars for a family of four to go. You deserve it. I'm sorry, but Disney, you should have should have made a cheaper version or used some money to find a way to make it more accessible. Absolutely was still, though somehow astounded by the fact that they're just closing it down. Hasn't even been around for two years. They're just like, bam, it's gone.
Speaker 1: With the recent kind of upside down nature of Disney's earnings, certainly in the last few years post pandemic years, and certainly in the time since launch at Disney, Plus, parks are really the main money maker for Disney right now. This news, by the way it comes, came on the same morning that the Josh Tomorrow, who runs parks for Disney, announced that Disney is abandon its plan to move around two thousand staffers from California to central Florida. This was part of a billion dollar construction project to kind of build new infrastructure at Walt Disney World in Florida. But because of the ongoing kind of war between Governor Ron DeSantis, whose recent announcement of this presidential campaign was derailed by a Twitter malfunction just because of Desanders's war on Disney, Disney has decided to shelve that one billion dollar construction initiative and now is not making these two thousand staffers move to Florida. Who by the way, many of them were pretty mad about it. Some of them quit, some of them were going to go, only begrudgingly. But now that's not going to happen anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting time for Disney for because I don't think the two things are disconnected. Like if this had been bought in built in California, at California Disneyland Galaxy's Edge, there is a world where I think we would be seeing them trying to adapt it into a smaller, more affordable, different experience rather than shuddering it. But I don't think that they're in a place where they want to invest money into Florida right now. I am interested though, Okay, so I do think, as with the way with all things Disney now, this is not the first crazy, expensive flop Disney had. If you ever want to have fun, go and watch a video, probably defunct Bland has the best one about when California Adventure first opened in California. It is hilarious. It's like one of the worst things you've ever seen. You could not believe the rides they had in a taxi ride where you see like a weird animatronic of Whoopee Goldberg. Just terrible choices. So this is not the first problem they've had, and they always kind of learn from them. So something I've been thinking about a lot is like, what I think that we could see a version of this essentially come to California Adventure as part of the Marvel Park. What would your pitch for like an immersive Marvel hotel.
Speaker 1: B Oh, my god, it would be I mean, I think you'd start with Stark Tower, right, You'd you'd have a bunch of the armor there. You'd have you know, Jarvis talking to you, which is I think it would be fairly easy to do with like just like a voice actor much in the same way, much in the same way that they do Galaxy's Edge, where you know you're able to you're able to talk to various Star Wars characters like almost basically in real time because of either a voice actors or b because they just have a very very extensive like sound box of different responses to things that you say. And I'd start there. Then I'd also have gosh, I think then I have that the Avengers HQ at Tony's like upstate facility.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what would you do?
Speaker 2: I well, seeing as you have already laid out, I'd say like the first five to ten years of immersive Marvel theme park planning. Thanks, you know, just send us a bill, send us an.
Speaker 1: I think you should also. I think you should also be able to go in the super Soldier sarcophagus, like I think I think be able to undergo the super Soldier process.
Speaker 2: That would be so good. That would definitely be one of like the immersive choices. Yeah, I would, because you've already laid that out and we're getting like eight ten years down the line. I would do exaviers. I mean, you know, the school and you stay there and you can play baseball and you can go in the room. It would I think that would be really fun. And yeah, I think that that will be the ultimate takeaway will probably be some kind of smaller, cheaper hotel space and California, but that still learned the kind of immassive lessons. But yeah, this kind of blew my mind. Apparently they spent this was part of a two billion dollar spend when they when they built it, and I just it kind of blows my mind that they spend that much money and now they're just like buy and shining.
Speaker 1: I mean, it'll be interesting to see this. This war of words with Florida is it's hard to really wrap your head around how kind of weirdly unwise it is for Florida to get into an economic war with its number one employer and number one taxpayer. But here we are. And so this would appear to be the first, certainly the first like economic shot fired back counting the various judicial moves and zoning moves which have so far failed, I say that played out in the local courts. I think, so this is this is a signal efagant thing to be pulling money out of Florida. And yeah, I mean, yeah, I hope, yeah, I mean too fucking Also, the final voyage is the twenty eighth to the thirtieth of September this year.
Speaker 2: So if you're dying to spend six thousand dollars to go there.
Speaker 1: To get six grand just but in your pocket.
Speaker 2: You know, if Disney wants to let me and Jason go for free, so we can tell you all about it. That we will go. We will take that.
Speaker 1: Hit for you again. I will say that everything I've seen from it and read about it and all the videos I've watched it was super cool.
Speaker 2: I know everyone I know who went from the press said it was like life changing, great.
Speaker 1: Fucking amazing. Five grand for two night I'm rounding up. Five grand for two nights is just a tremendous go to.
Speaker 2: Lay the fucking Maldives on like a really nice holiday. Don't do it. Five thousand dollars is so much money. Bad news, all right?
Speaker 3: Up next, more Star Wars.
Speaker 2: We're stepping out of the airlock and into a galaxy far far away to catch up on some delightful Star Wars programming and Star Wars video games, beginning with Star Wars Jedi Survivor.
Speaker 1: Before we get into Jedi Survivor, released very very recently April twenty eighth, twenty twenty three, had the very unfortunate luck to be released like any other video game released around this time, around the same time as Legit Choice, Here's joy Him. I mean, listen, the Star Wars audience rides hard and and they'll be there. It's just that much like you and I, this game has to share time. I'm in our consoles in front of our eyeballs with another game, and I will say before we get to Jedi Swear. We're gonna talk about Falling Order a little bit, but I will say this about Jedi Survivor before we get to do that. And I texted you guys this. I texted Rosie and the super producers Chris and saw this. I am sad to report to you that Star Wars Jeni's vibers really good game is really beau because it's terrible for my productivity. Literally, I need to do the fucking video game that's really good.
Speaker 2: I've been having to like two face myself and be like, oh, like, if I finish this thing first, I'll do full I'll do Jedi Survivor, and if I do this, I'll play Zelda, because otherwise, how are you supposed to make the choice that both actually equally enjoyable?
Speaker 1: At this point, all right, let's talk about first Fallen Order. Yes, a game that I thought story wise, Fallen Order was among the best Star Wars stories of of the last when it come out twenty nineteen of the last five years, like a really really good story, very emotional that starts you know about between UH episodes three and four, so you know, after Order sixty six you meet up with Calcastus, who's was a padawan at the at the on the fall of Order sixty six, manages to escape and his another another escape pat. He's been living this blue collar existence when you when you catch up with him and meet him, and it's just a really really good story with lots of mystery betrayal. You really legitimately learn a lot of cool things about the Jedi Order, but not just the Jedi Order, about the Night Sisters, the Datha Maria Knight Sisters, and there's like, as a fan of Gray Jedi's, gosh, there's a lot of great I feel really really cool Gray Jedi stuff in fall.
Speaker 2: I feel like that having the Grade I having a comeback. We'll talk about this a little bit in visions, but I definitely feel like that moral complexity is coming back.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily want I don't want to spoil the game in case anybody out there has not played it. Mean we'll do a spoiler virgin later, but there's a moment in Fallen Order that that has always stuck with me that I want to talk to you about because it goes right to that grade Jedi kind of idea. Where do you stand on using a dark force power for good? I am a that's a thing that happens in Fallen Order, and it is a super super impactful moment.
Speaker 2: I'm pro. I've always been pro using. I think that the using the force is neutral, the dark side, the light side. That all comes from the way that people use it and then the context over millennia of how things have been used. And obviously like if you use the dark side, you would you can like corrupt you know, corrupted kaiber crystals, Like there is a physical response to using the dark side. But I am pro using the dark side for good though obviously if that then becomes that you're like a fascist, fascistic leader who thinks you're using it for good, it could go a terrible way, bitingk It's worth the risk if you're doing it for good, And I agree, that's like an incredibly impactful moment.
Speaker 1: This is a really really big moment, and I think it's one that if it happened in a show, I think it would be something maybe that would be talked about a lot more. But it was really something that stuck with me because it's it's kind of something that doesn't happen. It really happens in other Star Wars stories, but it feels like if if you play with you, if you take on a dark side power to save someone's life that is doing good, that is fighting for the light, it feels like a weird loophole that needs to be addressed. And it's a fascinating moral question because because listen, we've seen worse Force users be redeemed right. So using the using dark powers once maybe twice to do something really good to save someone's life.
Speaker 2: I think it speaks to that really interesting moral complexity that the games are often allowed that you are not so much allowed in the main Cannon stories that we kind of know, which is like this idea of light and dark and good and evil. The games give us a space to play into that a little bit more. I actually do think that one of the reasons that fall in order and in general, like this series is speaking so much to people of our age is like it's very like Force unleashed, you know, and obviously Force unleashed too, Like there's these real emotional, iconic storylines that are being told here. That you couldn't necessarily tell in the structure of television. And also, as we talked about extensively with the Last of Us, when you are the person who has to make those choices, they become a lot more impactful and you become more invested in them.
Speaker 1: Another thing that's really cool about Fallen Order is it delves into the kind of fallout of the Battle of Dathamir carried out by a General Grievous, which is basically the Dathameyrian Order sixty six. You know, the magic wielding Night Sisters were all about.
Speaker 2: Night Sisters love.
Speaker 1: So good and you get to hang out with what is potentially the sole survivor of the Battle of the Dathmeir in Fallen Order and the relationship that that character has with cal is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marin is like one of my favorite characters. Yes, just such a great character. I also think something that this game does so well in Fallen Order is it really evokes that found family storytelling that I think so many of us are drawn to. And I'm not going to say very rebels, very rebels, but it feels so Star Wars and it feels like you are part of that family and you fall in love with these characters, and I'm gonna agree with you about like, this game has a choice, a very big choice at the end that that occurs that to me, is one of the most ethical choices I've ever seen in Star Wars, and I feel like nobody ever makes those choices because they contradict these really huge rules and laws that bind Star Wars. The Jedi they're good, they're benelevolent. The Sith they're evil, and there's kind of this idea that you have to propagate one and stop the other. And I just think that they make these really this hugely ethical choice at the end that I still think about to this day.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a brief choice storytelling wise, too, because it if the story was told in a less skillful way, then that choice essentially negates the whole reason giling and playing very much. Actually yeah, right, right, right, But it doesn't in a in a way that feels totally earned, and you just feel good. I felt good maybe that with that choice.
Speaker 2: Also, you make a great point because it's really brave narratively because it shuts down the main option of what you would think a sequel would be. So when many game comes out, You're like, oh, what are you going to do in this game? But you get to do so much and it's very we were talking about this today. This starts in the first game, but I feel like it really expands in Survivor. This is very uncharted, it's very action platform er. It's very much like this adventure scavenger live in the world of Star Wars, which who doesn't want to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now we've raved about Following Order, and now I'm going to tell you some of my criticisms of the game because this is going to play into our discussion of Star Wars Jedi Survivor, because Star Wars Jedi Survivor has largely addressed any kind of shortcoming with the papers game now. So, first of all, starting with the fact that Fallen Order is a lot more of a Souls Born type action experience than I think I was expecting coming in from you know, any of the other previous Star Wars games that you that you've ever played a third person Star Wars games, right Force unleashed any of those others that felt super good, but kind of I would say went more towards the kind of like hack and slash gameplay like the Force powers were amazing, but when you're using your lightsaber, you could really just kind of spam and Fallen Order was much more precise. You really had to you really had to hit your Perry's, you really had to hit your dodges, you really had to hit your counters, and you really had to react precisely to what your enemies are doing. And the Phone Order, much like Jedi Survivor, took this really kind of naturalistic, realistic kind of approach to the game where there's not a lot of time, there's not a ton of information on your hood. The video gamey aspects, the visual video gamey language is really really toned down, and that made it kind of hard to pick up for me anyway, to pick up cues, to understand what was going on, to even like figure out where I was on a map, like I just get lost a lot. And I think, honestly, part of what makes Star Wars Jedi Starve so good is they've figured that out. I don't know if they've widened the hip boxes or what worked, or given you better signals about here's the attack that's coming from the opponent that is fighting you, But it just feels fighting feels better. Moving feels better. It feels like they've given you slightly better cues about where to go. I'm still getting lost in.
Speaker 2: Jeder maybe I get lost occasionally, But I think you're totally right. I think that it feels incredibly streamlined and clean compared to Fallen Order. I really, I'm like you. I love the story. I think it's a really great bit of Star Wars storytelling, and the narrative was just so engaging to me once I got into it, But the gameplay did not hook me in that way. Like if it had been Fallen Order versus Breath of the Wild, it wouldn't have been like a competition for my attention. But Jedi Survivor the gameplay and the melee fighting, which everyone knows. I love those Arkhambatman games. It's like one of my all time favorite games. I talk about them all.
Speaker 1: The time, same same.
Speaker 2: And this has more of that to me, like that fluid. The gameplay is exciting, you want to get back, and the story is great and at this point, I love cal I want to know more about this world. I want to find these character does I want I'm invested already. I love bda backpack droid what like a brilliant idea, Like, I love all of that stuff. So this time, so far, that gameplay has been so much more engaging and just addictive basically to me to the point where it is competing with Zelda for my time. And obviously Tis of the Kingdom is one of the best games I've ever played.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a Jedi Surriver for the first time since Force Unleashed, and I think it is superior to Force Unleashed in that it really there are moments in the action where I'm like, fuck, I feel like a badass. Yeah, I feel like a fucking badass.
Speaker 2: Everything is chasing the very famous moment in the foreshong Leash series where you pull down a star destroy you know, with the force and like that you get that I'm not even anywhere close to doing anything like that, But while playing Jedi Survivor you get moments where you feel like that, like you feel like a bad And also something that we talked about in the like pre pro when we were prepping for this episode that you were up I think so true, is like the way that they time the fights. Now you feel like the impact of the hits or you feel the impact of the blocks and the parrys, and you really feel like you're making conscious decisions on how to fight, and you feel like it's really easy to actually train yourself. It feels a lot less button bashy than I felt like the combat in the first one did.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about those Arkham games because I think it's illustrative of what we're talking about. I think that the whether it's I think those Arkham games were extremely influential to the Shadow of Mortar series, to the Spider Man series, of the Miles Morales games, of course, because it's it's a perfect action loop where you punch a bad guy, another bad guy comes to punch you, and you can choose to either dodge or perry, and with a perry comes a counter to attack that enemy. And that very very tight loop of like attack, perry, counter attack is so satisfying when you really let the player enjoy it, and Jedi Survivor really does it. I don't know if it's that they kind of dialed down the speed of the of the Perry animatic, like it feels like now when you perry, the action slows down just enough for you to really feel like I hit it.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: It feels so good in this game to hit the perry and then go on the counter attack. And those are the moments where it's like I had this sequence on Coruscant where I run up. Here come the stormtroopers. There's a lot of them. I go double blade. I push one stormtrooper off the edge. He goes fly with the force. He goes flying. I harry several of the shock staff guys and just cut them up. I use my why force attack to like throw my lightsaber, so it goes like in a boomerang circle all around the guys. Just cut him up. Now there's one guy left. I pull him towards me with the forest and just cut his arm off. And it was amazing, and it was so fluid. And I think that's the thing that feels like they really really really dialed it in for this game. It feels much less random, it feels much more intuitive, and it feels like the game really worked hard to put you in control of all the moves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's something that makes me so much more engaged in a game as I get old. I know I complained about this a lot with The Lost of Us, but I am feeling it now. I'm also feeling like we were unnecessarily harsh to the Mandalorians who killed all those creatures, because I have killed a lot of creatures in this game. You have to kill a lot of things to stay alive. But you know what, obviously Stormtroopers they're Nazis, you know, but like they also we know that there's a complex reality to how stormtroopers were brainwashed and probably like recruited. But one of the things that I really love about this kind of gameplay is it engrosses you so much and makes you want to win, and you're so invested in Cow's mission, and then you get the additive nature of that fluidity, those combos, the kind of way that you can play around with the different troopers that you have to fight, the different stances you have. It makes you enjoy it even when you're murdering many many stormtroopers. I have killed so many Stormtroopers because, like you say, if you just they know the impact of a lightsaber in this game, like if you cut off an arm at a wrong angle, that guy's dead. Like it's not it's not happening for him.
Speaker 1: It is, uh, it is gnarly in that sense, Like you are absolutely severing limbs in this game with your lightsaber. I agree with a wonderful critic in the Guardian Video Paratritic, I quite enjoy a Simon Parkin wrote in his review of Jedi Survivor, whatever you feel toward the game. Director hit Atteca Miyazaki's fantasy of dark souls, Bloodborne, Securo and Elden Ring a constellation of hits often referred to as the soul Born set. The impact of his studio From Software's work on the blockbuster video game industry is with the arrival of Star Wars Jedi Survivor in disputable, that's it. They have taken that souls Born mechanic of here comes the big bad They're they're attacking me. I can't just button mash. I have to very very precisely time my block so that it parries. And if I parry him, the enemy is stunned. And now I can go on the attack.
Speaker 2: And I have lots of dodging.
Speaker 1: Lots of dodging, and you have to dodge very precisely, and you and you're rewarded for dodging and parrying. It is. It is a wonderful and addictive little gameplay and I agree with parkin that the creators of this game have absolutely stolen that mechanic and use it for Jedi Survivor, and it feels like how you would fight as a Jedi. This is what it would be like, because if you think about, you know, blaster bolts coming in at you at high speed and other stormtroopers coming in with like different melee weapons to attack you, you would have to be very precise and very skilled. And you feel, much like the way the ar Game games made me feel like Batman made me feel skilled, you feel skilled now. The Arkham games did something very interesting to me, which is I felt like, for the first time that I really understood Batman, because if you're that good at fighting, you'd never you'd kind of never stop like this is I realized that's why Batman doesn't kill. It's not necessarily because he has a code it is, but it's also because on some level, in my head canon, he wants them to get out.
Speaker 2: He wants I don't know, I think that's actually intrinsic. We could do a whole episode about this, but I think that's intrinsic to Batman's psychology. And also he does have a code. But I wrote a very long thanks to my editor Joshua Yale, because it was incredibly long and we really had to work it down because there's a lot of history. Batman's code is very gray. It sometimes exists, sometimes it doesn't. He does because sometimes kill people. You know, in the forties he's shooting people out of helicopters with guns. In the eighty nine movie, he's having a lot of fun killing people. But I totally agree, and I also think the other thing that the Arkham games do so well, especially in Arkham City, it's like you understand why Batman does it, not only because he is incredibly good at fighting and he just wants to keep fighting people, and also it makes him feel good because it makes us feel good. But there are so many Hensche's villains, you get that feeling of it stops being about those funny kind of intellectual conversations we have about like should Bruce Wayne be investing more into Gotham. When you play those games, you realize like there is no amount of investment because in Batman's eyes and in Batman's experience, these henschies, these villains, these super villains, they just constantly respawn and it's overwhelming, and you get that feeling playing that game in a way I don't think the comics have ever made me feel.
Speaker 1: So Jedi Survivor gives you that feeling. I'm so good at this and I want to get better, and they Chris super producer Chris brought this up. They do something very I don't know, smart at what, but they do something very cool, which is you don't lose all your Fallen Order powers. Yeah, they just kind of build upon them, which is kind of an evolution.
Speaker 2: It doesn't you don't have to start from jump like you have these cool powers. You have these abilities, and that makes it so much more instantly engrossing and makes it feel more deeply connected to the first one.
Speaker 1: I agree, But it also made me feel like, you know, like this is I think too deeply about about Jedis. But this is also the Jedi's problem. They're too They're too good at this. They're too good at dealing out violence in ways that looks really really cool. They're too good at like dodging malaster bolts and looking like you know, basically gods that walk the surface of planets. And I think that part of the downfall of the Jedi is the fact that they felt so good in their power that they just missed him. Because because when you when you play his cow and he's not even a particularly powerful Jedi at this point in his his training was cut short, and you know, you spoiler, you see him get very, very easily waxed by a very powerful Ark Force user who I don't want to spoil but probably you could figure it out at the end of Fallen Order. And that's a pretty good gauge of his power. Although and and you know, he's fighting with the Inquisitors who give who are very challenging, particularly really Jedi Survivor very challenging. But then again, the Inquisitors, their training is like purposefully imperfect, you know, because Darth's and the Emperor don't really want to create any Dark Force users that could ever be a threat to them, and cal has They're a challenge, but it's still man when you when I'm fighting Ninth Sister spoiler early in this game, it's a super challenge and I wanted to do it again, which leads me to my one. Here's a critique of Jedi Survivor. We've been talking about Arkham. One of the cool things about the Arcan games is they give you that battle mode where you could go to different areas on that and just fight fifty enemies.
Speaker 2: Constantly, and you can do different characters fighting different enemies with different weapons.
Speaker 1: You're not. Yeah, it was so good and when I like, when I finished the game, I would just play that for hours. Yeah. I want that in a Jedi Survivor game. I want to be dropped into an arena of like one hundred fucking stormtroopers and ten inquisitors and I want to take them all on all at once.
Speaker 2: Imagine how fun that would be. And not only that, imagine how sick the actual like. You could literally have it be an arena and you could have aliens watching. You could just do it for credits or skins or whatever they want to give you a gift, But that would be so much fun. I would love that. I would play that just endlessly.
Speaker 1: Respawn Entertainment. The creators of this game, UH, take it from me. If you release a DLC battle mode for Jedi Survivor, I fucking guarantee you it'll be hit people. It will be hit crazy for it.
Speaker 2: We will be right about that. It will be a hit.
Speaker 1: Because the fighting again, you know, the fighting again in Fallen Order, it felt a little imperfect, It was very it was felt kind of frustrating. Jars River does not have that problem, and it just feels so good to fight story.
Speaker 2: It really does. It's it's a victimless crime. You're just chopping people up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The only time I started to feel guilty is once you get off Chrusson and you have to start like monsters. But then I was like, you know what, these guys they never quit. Like I was trying mad shit on the Mandalorian. I was like, why don't you just move away from the pit, Why don't you just move away from the alligator? But you know what, wherever you go on these planets, there's some kind of cool alien trying to kill you. So I'm sorry to those Mandalorians. I have now committed many cool creature murders and I understand where they're coming from. But yeah, this is just such a fun game. I never saw a world where it would split my attention in the way it has. But the gaming is just so much fun, like not just obviously, the fighting is just really good and such a I feel like such a big step up. Fallen order. But also I love all the adventure mechanics, Like it's so much fun to be climbing. Even from the earliest parts of the game, you're climbing things, you're shooting out ropes to jump between things. BD's like setting up spaces for you to do crazy high lines. You're walking along pipes, like it gets you into that kind of action platformer mode so quickly, and that is also really enjoyable. It doesn't feel like when you're not fighting, you're just wandering around not sure what to do. It's like there's always something. But I like you will say, look, I love games. I play so many games. I've been playing them all my life. I'm almost forty years old. I'm old. I've been playing games. But you know what this game I would like if there was a little option for just like a Jedi Survivor for dummies, hud ui, like a little option, it would be I to sometimes have a little row point in me.
Speaker 1: And I think that's an absolutely fair critique. Again, Jedi Survivor is really up the notch in terms of the graphical quality, textural quality. It looks the wild.
Speaker 2: Buildings are realistic. Yeah, it looks like you're watching a movie.
Speaker 1: It really does. But attendant with that is the thing you're talking about where the game kind of issues the very kind of video gamy visual language where it's like, here's a fucking you know, bad version is here's a flashing arrow that shows you where to go, or or or a glowing line on the ground. Right, they're not going to do that, but whatever, the much less dramatic version of that jewed version, I could also use it because well, here's the good thing. Also that Jedi Survivor and Following Order did a little bit, but Jedi Survivor has done I think a better job at If you get lost on a map, there a lot of things cool things to find.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh, I found so many rad, weird, unexpected things by going down a route that leads nowhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that part of it is cool. But to your point, I am getting lost a lot like me too. I am getting lost.
Speaker 2: I miss so many of the tiny cracks in the wall that you have to squeeze through. Like a lot of times, I'm like, guys, just put on the ensign above there for me. So I am silly. I am apparently not very good at seeing these, but I'll be like walking around all the four I'm feeling full of adrenaline. I'm like, I'm so sick, I just can't wait. I'm cowcasts and I'll be there for like fifteen minutes trying to climb a wall, trying to push things with the force, and all it is is just a little crack in the wall that I missed.
Speaker 1: I did that after the fight with nine Sister up, Yeah, where the fuck?
Speaker 2: Are like? Oh no, I don't fire like and then you have to be getting beady to like hack things to stop the fire, and then you're like, oh now I can climb it. No, you have to find the crack in the wall. So yeah, that's like a very mild criticism, but honestly, in its favor, I will say I kind of love that that leans into that part that Chris pointed out of being able to continue from fallen order. You keep your powers, you keep a lot of the things that you already learned, and in that way, it's about respecting the audience and respecting Cow's journey. So it's like, if you've played the game, hopefully you'll kind of get a bit of an understanding of our more naturalistic world and you'll be able to do this stuff intuitively. But also just remember some of us are like Himbo's, so I would like a him But also I love the attitude towards the audience.
Speaker 1: One more slight criticism, and it's not really a criticism, it's just I think a thing that could maybe improve the game and make it even more damagingly addictive to me? Is that a thing that Arkham the Arkham games do really well is you're playing a third person game, right. What's the one thing that is always the weakness in a third person game? It's the camera, right with the camera going, am I stuck on something? What's happening behind my character? And Arkham did a great job. First of all, I had much wider field of vision, so you could kind of see things that were coming behind Batman. You could definitely control.
Speaker 2: Like how zoomed out you want to like. It's definitely a different experience in that way.
Speaker 1: But it also the game was really good at giving you cues that someone behind you was about to attack you. I'll get into fights with stormtroopers and you know there's a fucking the stormtrooper with like an auto cannon behind me. It's just unleashing and I'm getting shot in the back, and while Cal, especially on the run, does some auto blocking, which I appreciate, but it also feels a tiny bit cheap, like I want to do it. I want to be in control of the blocking. I also feel like when you're getting in these really fluid three hundred and sixty degree fights with lots of stormtroopers all around you, the game could do for some kind of signal to Cal that somebody behind you is about to attack. It doesn't have to be you know, dramatic, but just something so that I can parry or dodge, you know, like obviously the Spider Man games do this Spider Sense, Miles Morales, the Spider Sense. Yeah, you could come.
Speaker 2: You could say, it sounds like with the Force, it just should be easy.
Speaker 1: Cal can sense whatever that even just like.
Speaker 2: A little bit wavy kind of you know, the wavy lines, getting Spider Man a little bit less stylized. I would like to see that, you know, they do have, like most of these games, you know, this has that very Spider Man skill sets that you can build on. So I'm like, maybe later on in the Force skill sets, there's something where we could learn that or that could be like an update. But I think you're right. That's the one thing in Arkham you can you can fight like two hundred people without missing hill and they, which is so enjoyable. But like in this you're gonna be lucky to do like ten or twelve without getting got by someone.
Speaker 1: And that's what I want that I wanted chain together. I want to I want to chain together hits where I'm just dodging and pairing and never getting hit by blasters, by lightsabers, by anything, because you know, they kind of play as they must fast and loose with how much damage calcant like because nine sister fight, I'm getting fucking stabbed and shipped with a lightsaber. But like I'm okay, Like I'm just leave stemming.
Speaker 2: I'm good stemming up, keep it up, feeling.
Speaker 1: But but I if there was a way to really let you know, like these hits are coming, so that you could totally badass it and never get hit like with a it would be very enjoy I'll forget about it. I would never put this fucking game.
Speaker 2: Not yeah, I never, but.
Speaker 1: A couple other things. One of the things I really enjoyed about Fallen Order was the appearance of you know a person who we've uh, we've sung his praises a lot, saugerera Is in that game.
Speaker 2: Were just fans, okay, apologists, And there is a time jump between the end of that game.
Speaker 1: In this game, there's you know, there's some characters. You don't quite know what has happened to Cal's crew that he went to explore the galaxy with at the end of that game. But one thing you do kind of know is Cal is kind of unambiguously working Foresaw, doing missions for Saw, has been doing that, which is something that he kind of he had the option to do that in the first game and kind of turned it down to continue with his mission of uh, you know, exploring the history of the Jedi. And I love that. I love the fact that Cal in this game is getting more it is more on the front lines and kind of nascent rebellions you can see now kind of taking shape.
Speaker 2: You can see how his experiences in game and also then obviously in the interceding time between the games has radicalized him. And now it's like no question. And the great thing is you get to meet other people who are also working alongside Saw, and so you know that that's going to be more of an element in this game than just ironically in the first game is really about surviving Order sixty six, being someone who has to hide who you are, and then finding that space to be a Jedi. This one, you know he is a survivor, but we're also getting to see more of that rebellion aspect.
Speaker 1: It's about taking the fight to the Empire exactly at least to the Cow does.
Speaker 2: He's killing a lot of he's of Empire storm troops.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, no spoilers, but the game opens on Corouscant, and you think about the the daring and courage it would take to do a mission Coroscant as a fucking Jedi.
Speaker 2: At that time, like at that time.
Speaker 1: That says a lot about where a cow is in his evolution as a rebel, and it's pretty fucking cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really cool. This is just And also this is silly but very enjoyable. And if you like Spider Man, if you like Batman games, you will enjoy this. This is Cow is like unbelievably customizable. You can customize Cow's beard, you can give Cow a mullet, you can be wearing all kinds of outfits. I'm rocking the hermit look at all times.
Speaker 1: I have a hermit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, pure hermit, you know. And you can even like adapt your lightsaber. You can change the colors, you know, which is nice. They don't get into kind of kayber law, but you can just pick a different color. You can make your lightsaber from different pieces that you find, or different types of lightsabers that you can unlock. It's in that way as well. I feel like that makes you even more invested in the game and it's just really fun. Up next Star Wars Visions two.
Speaker 1: The trans community has been under attack by right wig politics across the country, but don't let their noisy stunts fool you. Their loud, wrong minority like John Mayer fans that's come on, or people who flame fight attendance for the delay John Mayer, I'll just say this, He's not for everybody. I don't personally like his music, but I think he's a good guitar player. Also, I went to college with him. In reality, there's never been more support for gay, trans and queer youth than right now, and it's up to us to make that true today and every day. That's why I vote Save America has launched their Fuck Bands Leave Queer Kids Alone fund this Pride Month, Crooked is working to help fundraise fifty thousand dollars to support groups on the ground in states that are banning care and targeting trans families, including organizations like the Transgender Law Center, the Transsice Funding Project, and the Trans Youth Equality Foundation. If you're interested in chipping in, head to vote Save America dot com slash fuck Bands to donate. Pissing off some of the GOP's biggest creeps is just an added bonus, and we're back. Star Wars Visions, the second season of the Vision's initiative, debut on May fourth, twenty twenty three, on Disney Plus, consisting of nine more short films. Unlike the previous volume, which was purely animation houses from Japan, this is more of an international affair, with studios in Japan again, India, the UK, Ireland, Spain, Chile, France, South Africa, South Korea, and the US. It was wonderful. It was wonderful that I liked more than other. No spoilers, but I'll say my favorites were Episode one, The Sith, which had this a real style, painterly art style like it. I don't know how to describe very almost liquid kind of it was to it.
Speaker 2: It was about it was a physicality of actual painting. It wasn't just about like being an artist. They brought paint and art into the stories in a way that we haven't necessarily seen since Like Sabine and even here it was much much more aesthetically obvious. And that one, I think, you're right, let's we'll just do what they say. The official kind of reveals are so that we don't spoil anything. This one is about a former Sith apprentice who finds their serene life threatened. This again, the morality and conversations and complexity that was allowed in this story in a way that we have never seen. This is a story we've never.
Speaker 1: Seen this very critical of Oh this an idea of a duality of blacking.
Speaker 2: Like, it's so good again, great Jedi is coming back, baby, I feel it. The complex morality is there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean also, you just know when you watch this one why they started with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that was my favorite one. Episode Two Screechers.
Speaker 2: It's by Cartoon Saloon who are just like unbelievable. They made wolf Walkers, which was like a huge deal last year it was on Apple Plus. It's really beautiful movie, just like absolutely go and watch it. The Legend of Kels. They make all these really gorgeous Irish folklore stories, and this one was by them as like very spooky force kind of situation. But both of these, I will say, lead to one of our I know, one of our shared critiques. So the first one is this artistic kind of connection to the force and to the dark side and the light side. The second one is about like a girl going on a journey and like the potential mentorship that she might find. You know. Those two themes are repeated a lot in this.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then in the Star is the third one. I think those are my three favorites. So the three first ones are my three favorites, and then the start. It has this incredibly tactile feel that it looks like, you know, like plastic action figures that were stop motion posts. It just looks it's just gorgeous, very.
Speaker 2: Cool to see a kind of exploration of some of the stuff that we felt like and or didn't necessarily explore that deeply in the first four episodes. You know, it's this kind of idea of like an indigenous planet being colonized, and I feel like in this short they do a really good job of bringing an interesting context to that kind of storytelling in a way we haven't seen in the Galaxy. Now. I'm this is not we did not plan this. This is just the nature of subjectivity and taste. I my favorites was actually my It's hard for me because my real favorite, if I do it objectively, is the last episode called Ours Song a Song. It's beautiful, but the problem is by the time you watch it, if you watch them in order, you've already seen like three stories that have similar themes. So it's a little bit lessons a bit of the impact. So probably for me, my favorite favorite probably just because I love Wallace and Grommett, and I love Ardman, and I love Stop Motion. I Am Your Mother, which was the fourth episode, which is a twilight Pila Annie and she's training at the academy and she's really embarrassed of her like working class mom who's a cleaner who fixes ships, and the two of them they go together kind of accidentally to this family race and they end up having to race together. I thought that was very charming. I have been saying for years that Disney and Lucasfilm should do an Ardman droid's movie, and I think this adds to that argument because there's a brilliant use of a droid here who's kind of like an R two droid but mixed with like a slinky. That was really fun. I loved that one. I love Journey to the Dark Head, which is Studio mir, which was founded by one of the head animators from Avatar the Lost Airbenda. And you can tell because it looks like Avatar has Daniel day Kim, who's about to play the fire Lord in the live action show. This was the one for me where I'm like, guys, you are throwing money away by not just making a feature length movie that looks like this.
Speaker 1: So that brings me to my one critique of the Visions initiative, which is kind of it's kind of like the strength of Visions. When you get one of these that you just absolutely love. You don't want twelve minutes, you want an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I agree.
Speaker 1: And I feel like we were talking kind of off mic about how it really feels as if they gave these creators full control because there's a lot of overlapping kind of storylines and themes, and Kyber crystals are the kind of mccuffin of Yeah, several of these stories, and it feels like, you know, if if there was more kind of editorial, top down controls edits somewhere in the chain, somebody would have said, hey, we've already got a Kiber story. Care And while I'm glad that everybody got creative control, I also feel like, I don't know how. I don't know how it would have worked, but I think that there could have been a way to have these not overlap so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe we're living in a world where the future of the near future of the storytelling in the Star Wars universe is gonna heavily feature these ideas of Kaiber crystals and the lore of Kaiber, but these are scene as non cannon currently, So I don't know how much it's kind of directed that way, but that did especially like I loved the Journey to the Darkhead is like a classic story. I love is disillusioned, you know, cynical Jedi has to team up with the for Mechanic, and that one got to be quite original, very Star Wars he and had multiple moments where I was like, guys, if you just invest money, yeah, make this a movie. This, this will be millions of dollars. You're gonna make more. Look at the success of like Demon Slayer of you know, dragon Ball, the movies that they've been releasing, like dragon Ball, Super Superhero, Like, if you do that and you commit the money to make some of these one of these into a cinematic release, I think it could change the way that we look at animated films. Look at the absolute cultural impact that Spider Us had. You know, Disney and Lucasfilm could be doing that, and I think in a way, I hope that they see that Visions could be a launch pad for that. And out of all of these, I think that the Studio Mire one is the one where if you just translated it to a cinematic scale, you would have a hit on your hands. But for the one that like spoke to me the most and made me kind of like tear up when I was watching it and really speaks to the things I about Star Wars, that was the last one which I would just say go and watch first, or watch it second after you watch the first episode, so you don't get doubled up on the themes.
Speaker 1: It's definitely I want that to be an hour. Yeah, I want I want an hour and fifteen minute version of our song. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's and it's stop motion as well, really beautiful, completely aesthetically different to any stop motion that we get here. It's a South African studio called Triggerfish. But it's beautiful and I loved it and it was perfect as is. But I want the hour and fifteen minute version. I want to know the law, I want to understand the world that I want to spend more time there.
Speaker 1: I mean to your point about I don't know how much money these things would make, but I do know this. I do know that animation is for reasons that are both neutral and negative. Yes, a lot cheaper to produced, I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Than live action, although.
Speaker 1: There's a longer it can be a longer lead time.
Speaker 2: Now, neutral and negative.
Speaker 1: Some of that neutral, right, yes, So let's be clear about that. There's it's either neutral because of the technology good, right, right, because of the technology involved in the fact that you could go in and move stuff around a lot easier than you can with live action. That makes it neutral. Uh. The negative being the guild protections, union protections don't exist largely, and there's more exploitation. Yeah, but but I do feel like it's less of a financial risk for these cynical corporations. And and I came away I really enjoyed these. But again, like the feeling that I came away with is I want an hour episode of the ones that are great twelve minutes and some of them.
Speaker 2: It's true because some of them so like. As much as I would love a world where they commit to a stop motion animated Droy movie which would take like three years to make from one studio in England, unlikely, But do I think they could do a four episode kids series in that style that would be brilliant. Yes, And with our song, I actually think you could be talking visually and aesthetically. It's so different, and the concept and the way that they explore the low of the Kaiber crystals and our's connection to the force is so unique. I think that could be a cinema release, a kind of Nightmare before Christmas style, Like you just commit to the stop motion Coraline and you could add context to this canon that would be so different. I also think on a as I said, financial level studio mirror. I'm like, Disney, just pay them what they want to make a Jedi story. I mean, if you really want to make sure that it's real money, which you know, I would prefer an original story. I love that, but I mean, God, do like a prequel? Do it with characters people already know. Imagine if you had Obi Wan and Anakin in that style, people would die for it. You know, There's a reason that these manga versions of the Star Wars novels and the Star Wars stories sell so well because people want to see these stories in different versions. So yeah, I loved it. Go watch it, you'll find a favorite. But I totally agree. Like the funny thing was coming out of this. I was like the ones that I like, I just want them to be longer, and that becomes sort of overwhelming, but just delightful to see so many different studios from around the world playing in this galaxy that we love, telling such different stories, and a lot of them do lean into that radical nature of Star Wars that we love so much. So just joy us, really.
Speaker 1: Do you want to give us an update before our nerd out on where you are in Tears of the Kingdom is the Kingdom.
Speaker 2: Crying, so I'm playing Tos of the Kingdom. Thanks to everyone for your support after Ganendorf tried to cut my internet connection so that I could not talk about it with my lightful colleagues and friends, so I am no surprises, still not very far. I am currently just fucking around on the Sky Islands. I have built so much and every time. My main goal at the moment is to build a skateboard that I've been building lots of giant things, but I have seen some really great videos where people use the mind carts and attach them to their shields and then like make super cuts like they're playing Tony Hawk. So basically, completion percentage minimal. I've only got like three shrine powers so far. But have I been enjoying making things, especially since I got access to the fans, which has just decimated all of my productivity because you can make so much stuff with them.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: What I need to get more into, though, I think, is punishing corrops. I've been really inspired by seeing the terrible look. I love a cute creature, but these motherfuckers are so ungrateful, and I I'm so I'm grateful I didn't see my friend you, I'm trying, like I've killed myself five times trying to build you a contraption. I've seen some people building like outrageous like ships to shoot them to their friends or past their friends. I've seen lots of fun catapults, so basically just absolutely wasting time. But you, on the other hand, you go also built so you'll live in life.
Speaker 1: Well I was. I went out of town last weekend to try and take a much needed vacation and break from stuff, and I spent some of that time playing Tears of the Kingdom at night, and I have I've been exploring the depths. Let me just say Rosie to you. Now, there are lots of there's a huge structure of caves and caverns and kind of interconnected under the landscape. You can get to them various ways. Look for cherry trees those when you're you'll see these kind of blossoming cherry trees in various places in the landsp go to them. They will show you certain cave systems that you can loot for kool And then when you're flying you'll see kind of these gloom ringed holes in the ground. Anytime you see a hole just fly down there. Make sure you jumping, make sure you have bright bloom seeds something for like many Okay, you're gonna need those, and you can need arrows because it's dark as ship down. Like it is so so dark down there, but it is, man, It's it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Behind every day.
Speaker 1: Getting down there and exploring the stuff that is down there. It reminds me of the first time I went to I found an explored blackreach in Skyrim. But it's like that, only much much much better. And you'll you're able to with your seeds and by finding these kind of areas that provide light, these kind of like root systems that provide light to like a wide area of the cavern, you get to like light up parts of it. And there was this moment where I'm exploring, I'm fighting all these glue monsters, like there's a bunch of yiga loot down there, and I get to like the edge of where the light is falling from all the lights that I've kind of lit up, and plus the root system light that is kind of casting and you can kind of look back and see I could see like how big the whole thing was, and it's just so fucking mind blowing, dude, it's so cool.
Speaker 2: So like, this is gonna make me sound two things.
Speaker 1: And that's where I got auto built. Oh that's what you want to no spoilers, but its down there, so okay.
Speaker 2: That's good to know. So this leads to I think, like, this is gonna reveal two things about me. One I will say no comment. Two I will say is true. One is gonna make me sound like I'm a stone no comment. Two is gonna make me sound like I'm very existential person, which I am. I play this game and this is the first time this has really happened to me since I was a kid. There are moments when I play this game when I see other people playing it, when I see this stuff that they build, and I try and conceptualize the amount of time and hours and programming and not just that, but then the actual like how that goes from being programmed to being on the screen, and I'm just like, it's impossible to conceptualize, like to me as somebody who doesn't know about that stuff. It's just blowing my mind every day, the amount of options that they've given people in this game. It feels almost endless, and we have always been seeking that out in open world gaming, but for some reason, mostly to do with the constructs, this feels like it's a different level of open world gaming and it's kind of blowing my mind as I play it kind of constantly.
Speaker 1: Again, Rosie, if you can get into the underground is gonna it's gonna change. Here's the other thing about the building, the thing that you're talking about. You're gonna find caches of building materials down there. There's also going to be different areas for you to process some of your zonite and stuff like that to get more battery. I'll say less about that. There's gonna be a bit again. There's auto builders down there in a kind of like huge temple structure that you cannot fucking miss. But there are these caches of different machinery down there, and it's like the first time that I came across like cannons that I came across steering sticks. And there are like battery packs down there so that you can build vehicles and things that don't drain your battery.
Speaker 2: There so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they run on the battery pack before it gets to your battery, right, so you have three and four times as much depending on like how built out your battery is. I'm on one battery plus one third of a battery, and so this gives me four and five times as much time. Okay, with the with the vehicles that I build down there. So I'm building like fucking warp hogs from Halo, Like I'm building ship down there, and I'm exploited, and there's headlights down there also, so I'm building headlights on the front of my.
Speaker 2: Vehicles driving through the tunnels. Okay, yeah, I'm going down. I'm not fucking around anymore. I'm not building any more giant ladders. I'm just going no more bridges. It's time to move up in the world or move down in the world.
Speaker 1: Maybe if we if we we should do, I mean, maybe we'll do a Twitch stream of us playing this would be time so fun. That would be really fun. Yea. All right, up next nerd.
Speaker 2: Out in today's ned out, where you tell us what you love them, why, or a theory you're excited to share. Ray has an idea for James Mangold's eventual Star Wars movie. As announced that Star Wars celebration, and I will say Ray might be excited to share this theory, but I am excited to hear it because this is just so cool and.
Speaker 1: This is crazy.
Speaker 2: This is what I want.
Speaker 1: Here is Ray's theory. What if the man Gold movie is based on the Father's son and daughter. They tentionally an animation, but they have so much possibility and they could be a jumping off point to all sorts of force focused stories from rumors, The Mangold movie is set so far back that it would be an amazing place to start with some powerful force wielders. It's also a huge tie in to both the Skywalker saga and the Rebels scene. That's absolutely right. You can even throw in some time shravel stuff if it made sense. What do you think? Love your work? Thank you, Ray. I think this is really smart and I honestly hope that this is what it is. Do you want to explaining with the about the Fathership?
Speaker 2: So they're called the Ones or the Mortis Gods, and this is like a big, really vital Clone Wars arc even though it's like just a few episodes and also then ends up becoming really crazily involved in Rebels. Even though it's just like the mural, it's really important, basically incredibly powerful Force users live on the planet Mortis, the Sun dark side of the Fourth, the daughter light side of the Force, and the father who is like neutral to the Force at both sides. You know, we would call it a great Jedi. They would say we were wrong, though I will say he's great, So just saying, just saying, but if the father stays alive, the kids both are immortal, and it is this very interesting exploration of the Force, almost like personified. And I just think there is so much we are stuff that you could do with this. And also, if the Feloney movie is gonna be a kind of ending, wouldn't it be interesting to see them go back to the beginning of this kind of almost under explored cannon. Also, if you've never watched the Clone Wars, I know we say this all the time. Even if you don't want to go and watch all of it, just watch the three episodes that begin with Overlords, because it is so good, like it is, it's Overlord's Altar of Mortis, Ghosts of Mortis and the things that we see Anakin experience, Like I'm pretty sure one of those episodes was the first one I randomly saw on like Disney Channel in England and was like, oh, I need to watch this show, Like this is no joke.
Speaker 1: It enters a dramatic widening of the Force law that is, you feel it we've only really just barely scratched the surface of it. I think that this is a great idea.
Speaker 2: I would absolutely love to see it. There's so much you could do with it if it was going to take place twenty five thousand years before instead of having to One of the things we'd brought up about the danger of doing this film, though we would love to see it, is like, how do you just introduce like the first Force user. That sounds impossible, like that adds so much cannon. But if you've already introduced them and you just reveal that the ones are at the beginning of that in a different sense, that's unbelievable. I think that is so smart, and I think this is such a good call from Ray and I would just absolutely love to see it. And I'm definitely just going to go and watch these three episodes again because this is like so emotional, Like I think about Anakin's journey here and like that, Yeah, it's just so good. So Ray, I love it. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. If you have theories or passions, we know you do. That's why you listen. You're just like us that you want to share. Hit us up, x ray, croked and instructions as always are in the show notes.
Speaker 1: That's it for us, Rosie any plugs.
Speaker 2: I'm on letterboxed Rosie Mark same at Instagram. I just put out a new newsletter which is about incredible indie comics. You can read some by brilliant people that I love in my life, some by people I've never met who are absolutely great, really fun stuff. Totally create our own great to support comics creators like that. Watch Primo, it's still delightful. I'm pitching it. Support the WGA on strike, I'm doing a I'm doing super plugs today. Loads of all ways to do it. You can show up for awesome protests rallies which are happening on Friday. You can support them at the picket line. You can send some doughnuts, send some food.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely welcome on the picketline. Anybody who's around one of these. We've had people from who were in the fighteen nice Starbucks. We met various teachers being members. Teachers show up and be like, I want to support, absolutely welcome if you want to do that and you live around one of these areas where inn action is happening.
Speaker 2: Culver City, i think, is always looking for some extra people to sho up on the picket line. So yeah, good times all around, loads of cool stuff to support, and obviously here twice a week.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode of Extra Vision Wednesday, May thirty first, for the epics series finale of Succession, and I Gotta tell you Are You're right is by Stock in are we were right right now? About by Stock by Stock, Bye by it and the season two finale of Yellow.
Speaker 2: Jackets Gonna be Bleak and you can subscribe as always on YouTube. We you can watch full episodes of the show like this one and check out our discord. It's really fun, so many cool people in there talking about rad things, cool theories, especially deep Succession and Yellow Jackets conversations going on now. So if you're talking about if you are big into those two pop and that before the finales come out, and obviously me and Jason a that too.
Speaker 1: Five star ratings, five star reviews, we need him, we gotta have you gotta give them to us. Here is one from who I'm gonna read it. I'm gonna read it in the voice that it's written in. Hey, Mike, this is Steiny from Yakima I as well. Everyone knows what Jason Rosie have going on over Extra Vision of Mike. These don't really produce it right now, even with the increased workload. It's really commendable.
Speaker 2: Mind.
Speaker 1: Anybody looking for funny content but also in depth analysis of anything going on in the nerd verse should definitely check them. Out of mind. My question is do you think they can keep this level of quality while putting up two episodes a week. I think they can't, Mike, but just want to hear your thoughts on that. If they ever cover the Witches series anyway, I'll take mans off the end.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, see you next time. Thank you very much. Question Mark exclamator, Mark quiver Mark.
Speaker 1: Extra Vision is a crooked media production. Show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Ruman and executive produced by me Jason con sects you on. Editing and sound design is by this Solis Photopoulos. Video production by Delon Villanueva and Rachel Kayeski. Social media by Awa Oklati and Caroline Dunfey. Thank you to Brian Vasquez for our themes. Bye, Grab your torches and join Jeff Probes, the Emmy Award winning host and showrunner of Survival, to go behind the scenes of the reality competition show like never before. It are on Fire with Jeff Probes, the official Survivor podcast. Whether you're a super fan like me or new to the show, on Fire with Jeff Prost takes you behind the scenes to learn some of the new secrets for how the show is made and why they do the things they do. Listen wherever you get your podcasts.