Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode one hundred and sixteen of Native Lampod, where we give you all things politics and culture. I am your host, Angela Rie, joined by my good brother Andrew Gellim Bacari Sellers and joining us this week as a co host is the brilliant legal and scientific mind the former federal government worker that Trump hated to see coming content creator extraordinary Elizabeth Booker.
Speaker 2: Here's Dad.
Speaker 3: Well, y'all.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome home to Minnesota, though, because that's where we are, you know, I just want to jump right in.
Speaker 2: We have so much to cover in FYSA.
Speaker 1: That's for your situational awareness and for your situation, for your fyssay, for your situational awareness. We are in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I have my hat on, but they made me take it off. I had a hat on. But anyway, we are here because we'd love to see how Minnesota showed up for the world, and so we wanted to show up for Minnesota.
Speaker 2: So this is where we are.
Speaker 1: Tuesday night, Lady of Lampod held a live town hall at the Historic Capri Theater and partnership with State of the People, Minnesota Freedom Fund, and the Capri Theater, we provided free groceries, hygiene, kids, and legal services to Minnesota's We had an amazing guests including NAACP President Derrek Johnson, Minnesota Freedom funds Eli Dairis Janey, Amari Bates, Minister Janey of Isaiah, Attorney General Keith Ellison, who had this to say.
Speaker 4: This situation, this oppression that Minnesota is under right now, will not be solved in a courtroom. The real justice and the real freedom and the real true democracy will be because you go out in the street and demonstrate and say no to this oppression.
Speaker 5: It is the people.
Speaker 4: In the street, in the hearts and the minds of the people marching in nine below weather, standing up and saying no, We're not going to let you roll over us this way, which is going to win the day. Together with elections, together with the artists, together with all of these things that we collect to try to create a just society. And it's not overnight, And I cannot guarantee you perfect safety as you fight for justice. There's no guarantee of perfect safety. When an oppress or feels threatened that you're trying to be free yourself. So at the end of the day, friends, I am asking you to protest.
Speaker 1: I love that I am asking you to protest and doing that against all odds, even in the face of not being able to say I can protect you.
Speaker 2: But that is the only way to be.
Speaker 5: Two things stuck out about that. One is I'm not sure people really understand how cold it is in Minneapolis. He said, nine degrees. Belove, It's been zero. I don't even know if you put if a degree is plural or not. It's been zero degree grees whatever. It's cold as hell outside. And it adds a different layer of context to the people in their sacrifice, because you know, a lot of people want to be comfortable when they protest, and it ain't shit comfortable about Minneapolis, Minnesota right now outside. That's first. The second thing is it reminds me of my dad telling me about how they went to Philadelphia, Mississippi looking for the bodies of Goodman Schriner in Cheney, and during the day they had to hide in barns and sheds, and at night they would go out and looking ditches and trenches. And he was always like they couldn't wear belt buckles, they couldn't wear anything shiny. They just had to wear denim, and they had to wear dark colors because they didn't want to be identified, they didn't want to be seen, because you could not ensure people's safety. And so that is probably the direct parallel that I see. But it also harkens back and makes you really sober about the time period that we're in now. When you think about looking for Goodman, Schriner and Cheney and the attorney general who's the chief law enforcement officer of your state saying I cannot protect your safety. I mean that is those things jumped out at me pretty profoundly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not surprising though, I mean that's what we've seen over and over again in you know, with history and everything.
Speaker 7: And I think it was.
Speaker 6: Derek who said last night that we've never seen anything like this, but we've always seen something like that. Yeah, So both of those statements are true, and it's not surprising that it's always been people in the community having to rise up and protect one another when it comes to the civil rights movement and you know, all of the fights for our rights, it's always been having to also work outside of the system, including the legal system, to actually keep each other safe.
Speaker 3: You know where the clip ended. The next few words from the Attorney General were peaceful protest. We want you to protest, and we want you to do so peacefully, which has been quite frankly, the tenor since the nation began paying attention to what's happening here. It's been peaceful, it's been passionate, it's been sacrificial, but it also has been incredibly impactful. Last night, the Lieutenant Governor of the state, Peggy Flanagan, said that they are that they are tired as but they continue to work. And she said it much more eloquently than I just repeated. But the sense that she was trying to communicate is, yes, they are exhausted. They are terribly exhausted. Their bodies are exhausted, their minds, their spirit, attitudes, everything about this would exhaust you, It would exhaust any of us. But yet day after day after day, you know, these folks keep showing up. They just keep doing it and exercising the muscle of consistency in this fight.
Speaker 5: Until you said that last night, that was profound. Can we back up just one say, hold on before we eat, know This is important. This is very important.
Speaker 1: I just want you all to know this is supposed to be a quick segment and these two every time go back.
Speaker 5: Let me let me just say this. Let me tell you one person that gets on my nerves Angela Rye.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: But let me also tell you last night would not have happened without Angela, and that that requires a point of personal privilege because as much as you get on our nerves, we recognize extremely quickly why people love you and why you're gravitational force and how you're able to pull off these things, and how you make Eddie Rye so proud because you were able to pull together a community that you're not from and do it so well, so diligent in five days, so well, so diligently. And yeah, I mean we put up with you, but we put up with you because the benefit far outweighs the getting on our nerves.
Speaker 1: Quotes I will. I want to do one thing. Do y'all forgive our setup today?
Speaker 7: Lolo.
Speaker 1: I want you to come around on camera. I think it's important that there.
Speaker 2: Be quiet. Come on, Lolo.
Speaker 1: The thing that I think is important is for people to understand it is not me operating in a vacuum. Oh yes, well then she doesn't really mean that, but she might mean she is to me our Charles Barkley, she's a utility player that knows how to get everything done. And I want to shout out Dowanna Thompson from State of the People and attorney Leslie Redmond here and Eli Davis and you got I'm serious.
Speaker 2: I would make a call.
Speaker 1: Yes, I Blue for setting up the fun from Minnesota Minnesota Freedom Fund the fundraising link. But also I want people to know there are many things when Tina mellikin Jane Bates like, there are things that I could not do, but I could call them and say, y'all, this is what we need, this is what we're trying to do. And Minnesota activated with and for NLP, and so did our State of the People family.
Speaker 2: So it was not me. I want. I just I get to.
Speaker 7: It's a lot of you.
Speaker 6: I don't know who else was gonna get me out of my house in the middle of the snowstore.
Speaker 7: I had to struggle walk across my front. I have my nebulazed women, y'all. I was on of all the things to be terrible. Imagine being bad at breathing.
Speaker 2: It's just is.
Speaker 7: But I'm here.
Speaker 6: Because I trust you and I appreciate the folks in Minnesota because, as you said, we're coming into a community that is not ours, and I always think, do I belong here?
Speaker 7: You know, there have been.
Speaker 6: Issues with other digital creators coming into Minneapolis and other folks not being very pleased about the way they've approaching.
Speaker 7: And I asked Georgia Fort.
Speaker 6: You know, I told her last time, I said, you know, I really contemplated your fort.
Speaker 7: She's amazing.
Speaker 6: And I said, do you know I didn't want to be in a space I should not be in or do not belong and and she said, no, I think it's important to have that support. And support is the word. It wasn't about taking over or you know, creating the narrative for Minnesota's but instead of amplifying it, and that's what you did.
Speaker 1: That's what we did. And on that I just wanted to say thank you, well, thank you, b thank you, Andrew, thank you, thank you Lolo, and thank you. Everybody in Minnesota and all of our.
Speaker 2: Partners called you.
Speaker 5: Charles Barkley, you can't get no rings man. That's terror, that's a terrible first.
Speaker 1: Guys, everybody knows that Charles Barkley was one of the greatest utility players of our time. Please ignore this, jackass, I mean, FYSA, you off message. Now, this is the thing that I also think is important with State of the People. We saw every city we were going to andrew right before we got there, something happened that necessitated us being there in coalition with local orgers and national orgs. And something happened in Minnesota Saturday too. We were already coming. We knew as a Thursday. We didn't know a whole week, but we knew as a Thursday we were going to be here. Something happened last Saturday. On January twenty fourth, Alex Preddy, which is who is a thirty seven year old intensive care nurse for the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, was murdered in cold blood. He was shot multiple times by Customs and Border Protection. That's a very important thing for you all to hear Customs and Border Protection, which is the Border Patrol CBP officers. After multiple contradictions at every level of government, Trump is now calling for de escalating a little bit, among other things.
Speaker 2: Let's roll the clip.
Speaker 8: We're gonna dsk a little bit, but I will tell you you look at the numbers, they're doing better than they've done in many years. As we had a very reasonable conversation, very good conversation, if you believe the conversation, he'd like to get this thing over with. I don't like the fact that he was carrying a gun that was fully loaded and he had two magazines with him, and it's pretty unusual, but nobody knows when they saw the gun, how they saw the gun, everything else. The bottom lineer was terrible. Both of them were terrible. The other was terrible too. And I'm not sure about his parents, but I know her parents were big Trump fans. Makes me feel bad anyway, But I mean, I guess you could say even worse.
Speaker 1: Well, you know this man, I mean, he is a sociopath. I just I have to say this, and we'll get to this later. We're gonna have a full on conversation about alex Pretty's Second Amendment and when it applies and who it gets to apply to. But it is fascinating to me that he would focus so much on whether or not they were supporters. When you take the oath of office, y'all know this too. When you take the oath of office, you are serving everyone in your district, in your constituency. He's supposed to be serving the whole of America and all of our partners, all of you know, all of our allies. That's not what he's doing. He's like depending on if you're a Trump fan, not a supporter, a Trump fan, then he gets you get a different level of play.
Speaker 2: I just think it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why in some ways it called the oath solemn, because there's some people on the other side who did everything in their power to ensure that you didn't descend to whatever that position of public trust is. But you make that oath, and you take that oath so seriously and so solemnly because you need the strength of not only your oath and your word, but your faith and everything else to keep you honest to it throughout the term of your service. That you've got to be. When you're elected governor, you're not governor for the people who voted for you. When you're elected mayor, is not that your mayor for the folks who went out and supported you and voted for you and didn't have a negative thing to say about you. You've got to be there in defense and protect and in service to all of them. And this president it's a hard lesson for him to learn. He's still not learned it. He's on his second term, in his third try, you know, for president, and it's not a lisson he's learned. But I also, you know, like so many things in Trump's America right now, we've had to de sensitize ourselves and lower our expectations for what the outcome is going to be. We're at the lowest basic, lowest common point of agreement when it comes to what to expect from this administration. I appreciated the President acknowledging how difficult the loss of both these souls are. I don't know how sincere it is, but it was important for the President to allow those words to cross his lips and for the American people to hear it. Whether we believe it fully or not, it's still needed to be said. And so that's the most supportive thing I can say about you know, those commons.
Speaker 7: I don't even.
Speaker 2: That's the statement say.
Speaker 6: Look, I will just say that I think a little bit differently about the fact that he said those words, is that means trying to see why A Okay, he is trying to cover his ass, and that's what he's trying to do. And so there's a little bit in there. He sprinkles in there, a tiny bit of humanity, not because I think he feels it, but because he knows people are watching, and he knows that people are getting pissed and they're getting sick and tired of him, and we're seeing it more and more across the country. So I just look at it as you know what. I don't believe him, but I think that that is a strong indicator that he knows that his popularity, his approval, and everything is declining.
Speaker 1: One thing we see often is when superstars use their platform to speak to an issue, sometimes it gets a little bit more attention.
Speaker 2: So San Antonio superstar Victor.
Speaker 1: When Biyama Wimby also spoke up about Alex Pretty and his own struggle with speaking out period given his immigration status in this country, let's roll.
Speaker 9: That pr has tried it. I'm not going to sit here and give completely correct you know, I know, uh, I mean I'm this every day I wake up and see the news and I'm horrified. I think the it's crazy that some people might make it seem like or make it sound like it's acceptable the murder, like the murder of civilians is acceptable, you.
Speaker 5: Know every day.
Speaker 9: I mean, I I read the news and I'm sometimes I'm asking very deep questions about my own life. But you know, I'm conscious also that saying everything you know that's on my mind would have a cost that's too great for me right now. So it's a I'd rather not get into too many details. Is that kind of a big factor in this, that people have that fear that if they speak openly about an injustice they see, there can be repercussions. Oh for sure, I mean.
Speaker 7: It's terrible.
Speaker 9: It's a and you know, you know, I know, I know, I'm I'm a foreigner, you know, I live in this country. No, I am concerned for sure.
Speaker 3: Is that part of your hesitance being a foreigner? Does that play into.
Speaker 9: Your Oh for sure, for sure. I mean it's uh yeah, people speaking their mind, no matter no matter the subject, you know, And it's I think it's it definitely takes some balls, it itch, and every one of us has to decide the price, you know, we're willing to pay.
Speaker 3: And you decided that today.
Speaker 9: You could have said, yeah, I think I think, I think that's enough details though for now, you know, if privately we can discuss it, maybe later, but not right now.
Speaker 5: Three points and two of them are the same. The first is when he first opened his mouth, he said, PR tried, they did. That's what he said. That stuck out to me. And sometimes I listen to people as a lawyer, like I'm about to cross examine them, and so things stick out. He said, PR tried. And then he went and directly told you that the risk of speaking his mind truly outweighed what he could afford at this time. So those things were like one A, one B for me. And the second thing is where he's from. So let's talk about the first. I mean. The reporter dug deep and said, yeah, I mean, the president has been extremely successful at stifling free speech in this country, being a free speech absolutionist. By the way, those who are listening and not watching, I'm using air quotes right, And it's fascinating to see how they find themselves in the mode of Charlie Kirk, who want to be these free speech abolitionists, but yet their goal is to stifle create fear and get people like Victor Winbiyamba also known as Winby to be able to get on and not use this platform, kind of contrary to Steve Kerr, who says whatever the Steve Kerr wants to say when he wants to say it. It also has to do with the fact that Steve Kurr and Golden State and has a very unique ownership that don't care. And Victor finds himself in San Antonio, Texas, right, they might deport his ass tomorrow. Okay. The other thing is like Victor's from France, right, it just highlights how the rest of the world is looking at us. Victor really wanted to say, like, like they're killing people in the street using totalitarian therapy, how you pronounce it, authoritarian regimes, and y'all voted for this shit, like that's what he wanted to say, Like the people who come to my games, the people who pay my salary, y'all voted for this. And he wanted to be like, I don't understand. I don't this is not very French, I don't understand it. And that's how the rest of the world is looking at us. With this kind of a funnlement.
Speaker 1: Well, and to that point, I think it's important for us to understand why tensions are so high. Of course, even when you have status and you are making millions upon millions every year as an NBA player, it's still hard to speak up. Apparently, hopefully he will find his courage. But I'm grateful for what he did say. But as a result of the rising tensions throughout the country and the inability of this White House to tone down hateful rhetoric, members of Congress have come under attack this past week. In Florida, Congressman Maxwell Frost was punched, and just on Tuesday, right down the street from where our town hall was being held, ilhan Omar, Congressoman Ilhan Omar was subjected to an attack by an erratic white man at her own town hall event.
Speaker 2: You know, him must resign or face impeachment. I don't know. We will continue this. I'm not going to get away, an't you.
Speaker 1: The GOP response was it was staged And this is what Donald Trump said to Rachel Scott in a phone interview on Tuesday night. Rachel says, just spoke to President Trump, and we're putting that tweet up for you all as well. But for those listening if he had seen the video of Representative Omar being attacked and sprayed by a substance. His quote, no, I don't think about her. I think she's a fraud. I really don't think about that. She probably had herself sprayed knowing her end quote. He says that he hasn't seen the video and he doesn't have to bother And so this, you know, reminds me of what he said around January sixth, or what he refused to say.
Speaker 2: Around January sixth.
Speaker 1: And in a moment like this where he's talking about whether or not Alex Pretty's family or fans, or whether or not Renee Good's family are friends, he's still about one of Minnesota's representatives, Stokey the flame.
Speaker 6: And I mean, are we really surprised after the response or let's say, non response to the assassination of Melissa Hartman.
Speaker 7: It's true we keep seeing this over again.
Speaker 5: That Jesus, we're not right down the street.
Speaker 6: It was, yeah, and you know, it's it's been really difficult to impress upon folks. I feel like, especially just when I'm when I'm on the hill. I went into some of the white male Democratic congressman offices, and I said, hey, y'all need to do more because we're seeing our especially our black members of Congress. We're seeing women, We're seeing other people who don't have your white male privilege being attacked. We see Lamonica mcguver facing seventeen years in prison for doing her job.
Speaker 7: We've seen now Illhan Omar.
Speaker 6: Being attacked, Maxwell Frost being punched, and by the way, while while he was being punched, the man was yelling racial slurs. There's no question about the fact that that was a racially motivated attack.
Speaker 5: Candy, tell me, like exactly, because I mean, like with ill Omar, you can see it. Well, il Han, I'm sorry forgive me. I've been struggling all morning what happened with Maxwell Frost because I saw like the tweet, but like, I don't know, he got like a sun dance.
Speaker 7: Yeah he was. He was at a sundance, festive sundance.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize it was at sundance.
Speaker 5: They done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no, it's in, it's in. It's in Salt Lakes. It's in right outside of Salt Lake City.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was a sundance and a man.
Speaker 2: But it's a very progressive space.
Speaker 6: Generally exactly, and this man ran up to him and was yelling racial slurs at him and punched him and then ran and the guy got arrested.
Speaker 7: They did end up getting him and arresting him. But yeah, it happened at Sundance.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 5: Well to represent omar one, you didn't even Okay, she did. He pronounced the first name because you don'tt to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we get that. But even despite what appeared to be security sort of attempting to usher her off and sort of bring this thing to a close, she, like a g pivoted that she had her fisto, she was her own security and no offense to those who were really securing her. But in truth, the woman stood up and she was prepared to defend herself. But moreover, she didn't allow this event, this important public event where citizens get access to their government to ask questions and to push her and to hold her accountable and to encourage her. She wanted to keep it going, and she did, in fact keep it going. But Trump's comments on that, I mean, he's an egotist, a megalomaniac. He doesn't have And again we keep saying we need a mental health professional to aid us. But it is. It is absolutely true. I think there is something debilitating about this condition that does not allow your horizon to look beyond your own sunset. Yeah, I mean, you'll, you'll, you know, you're coming up in the morning, you're going down at night. Everything revolved around you. And maybe he's capable. I don't know. I've just never seen it. I've never seen it from him. And at some point one of y'all are gonna seend in a video, one of you health professionals out there, and we're going to get to show it on these on this podcast. That will tell us a little bit more about what this condition is. It's still not an excuse because he shouldn't be president under such conditions. The people should have sessed this out before this point. Yet they saw it, they are okay with it, they approved it, and then they send it right back a second time.
Speaker 7: So we kind of just say real quick that.
Speaker 6: Also, I think it's amazing that Representative Ilhan Omar didn't like stick a bandate on her face and make a good deal about the time, like I just you know, I just want to point out the.
Speaker 5: I would have fallen down ambulance taken me out. I would have called my wife baby, this might be the big one.
Speaker 3: I don't know, flopping in the spirit of Minnesota right now. These are the people who take licks, and they keep taking, keep showing up, they keep standing, they keep fighting. And her response is represented of that.
Speaker 1: And zero degree, as Bakari would say, So we do have to ask ourselves how we claim our power in the face of authoritarianism and teer being brought to the front doors of Americans all over the country. It may not be replacing Border Patrol Commander Bavino for borders, our Tom Homan, but could it be another fight by Congress to force yet another shutdown, but this time for ice funding. Andrew, you say, not likely. Why is that they got funded anyway?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean the bacarty and I yesterday was sort of trying to get to the root of what a government shutdown might look like. And just you know, before our listeners and viewers, the Democrats have threatened the leader of the Senate, Chuck Schumer. On the Democratics side, of course, have threatened to withhold the Democratic votes that would be necessary to cross the sixty votes that are required to implement these five funding bills. You've got members of the Democratic Party in the US Senate who hate shutdowns just outright don't believe in them. But I believe the the deaths of well, very specifically Alex pretty this past weekend put a number of them over the edge to the point where they said, we're not supporting a funding resolution for ICE. Now, Bacari helped me if I go off track here, but my understanding is is that even if the Senate were to withhold the support for the funding bill for Ice, that because of the passages of the quote big beautiful bill, they will still get the seven three million that they are in line to receive, which represents three times what their previous budget was.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, I mean a shutdown only prevents them from getting about ten billion dollars, which is what they were budgeted for, which doesn't stop any operations from going forward. But what it does do is that it stops the other functions of the Department of Homeland Security, you know they have, and it particularly now when you're in the middle of winter storms, et cetera. I just don't know how advised that is. There's also something else that we haven't touched on yet, and I know we haven't been here but like almost thirty minutes. But it's fascinating to me two things, how the country reacts when they're able to see violence everything. For me, I see through a cultural civil rights land. So it reminds me of like nineteen the Evan Pet's Bridge, right, nineteen sixties. Yeah, bloody Sunday, because white folk outside of the South were able to see what happened to black folk on that bridge. But it also begs the question that we always ask ourselves, like what happens when they start killing white folk? Like that is a looming question amongst most people in this country that don't find themselves to be white, And like we're seeing that now we're getting the answers to that. I mean, Donald Trump, who we never thought would fold or bend, is talking about pulling ice out of Minnesota because a white woman and a white man were.
Speaker 3: Killed more specifically the white man, right.
Speaker 5: No, more specifically the white male correct. Correct. But you see how now you know? And that's why I've always said that the country's never going to change unless white male evangelicals want it to mean it just it will never truly change directions until But it's almost like parallel parking of submarine. The cost for our change and we're seeing is so high. But what happens when you when the country sees a white man gunned down by law enforcement compared to when a country sees a black man gunned down by law enforcement? And we're seeing that reaction play out. And I just think that's a fascinating question that we're able to at least have some data to tangle with.
Speaker 2: Now we have.
Speaker 1: Another white man, well he's black, especially because we might have the old Kanye back.
Speaker 2: Kanye West took out.
Speaker 5: He went around and around. I was like, Oh, I was like, where we go? They what?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Kanye West took out a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal apologizing for past anti Semitic and anti black rhetoric. He blamed his behavior on neurological damage dimman from his traumatic two thousand and two car accident, and he says, quote, twenty five years ago, I was in a car accident that broke my jaw. They if y'all know that it caused injury to the right frontal lobe of my brain. At the time, the focus was on the visible damage, the fracture, the swelling, and the.
Speaker 2: Immediate physical trauma.
Speaker 1: The deeper injury, the one inside my skull, went unnoticed.
Speaker 2: It went unnoticed for us, friend, it was not unnoticed.
Speaker 1: Fuss.
Speaker 3: Can we talk about the venue though for this journal?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's all very clear.
Speaker 6: Way, Yeah, that was us and who Yeah, this says a first of all, Kanye as a as a former big Kanye fan, been to your shows, you know, all the good.
Speaker 7: Stuff go to hell.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I don't want your apology because I will never forget this. Slavery was a choice according to you.
Speaker 7: I'm not welcoming you back home. I don't know how everybody else feels. I'm not. I'm not.
Speaker 3: You go back through the wire.
Speaker 6: I hope Jesus walks with you.
Speaker 7: You know, good luck.
Speaker 6: But yeah, the fact that he put this in the Wall Street Journal, you were not You're not talking to us.
Speaker 7: You were not talking to us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to see what happens next. The apology actually has me intrigued about what happens next. It's like, who was that Reagan or Nixon who said trust but verify Reagan, I don't know, I remember the mixing. It was one of them. I confused them. It was one of them that said.
Speaker 7: That going far too late.
Speaker 5: Yes, I've never heard anybody smart. I've never heard of that.
Speaker 2: I had to pick.
Speaker 7: I did a coin that there's a page. There's a page that.
Speaker 6: Put that on their bio and it's a Ronald Reagan page that every day reminds us that he's dead. Yeah, so shout out to that TikTok account.
Speaker 5: I need to get TikTok. But I don't know, man. I think I think that his mama's death broke him. I think you can directly pinpoint when he when he changed. And I think that that relationship and Miss Donna Dondams doctor, wasn't it, doctor doctor Donda West was such an influence on his life. And you know the bipolar disorder that we know he has, the car accident that he's been through. I'm not excusing anything because he's inflicted so much pain. I mean, he's been a wrecking ball to various cultures, right and starting with his own. But I'm I am. I am someone who if they do the work, I believe that there should be a path that is adorned by grace that gets you back there. But if you just if you are just putting apologies in the Wall Street journal.
Speaker 6: That ain't It matters.
Speaker 3: Where you start, though, right like it matters. It matters to me that slavery was a choice. Was that Howard University where he knew that his at CMC, he said it there, but he also on the campus shortly after, on the campus of Howard because the students were getting back at him. He was, you know, perched above the students and they were, you know, having it out with him. But but essentially his message got to its intended audience. In this case, I have to question the forum very very seriously. I'm not joking about that, because that day it matters where you go to deliver that message, if you're sincere about it, if it's a pr stunt, if you're if you want the Jewish community to read it, and and and financial times wasn't available, and so you chose. You know, It's just I have questions about that. But the good thing, his redemption is not in my hands or yours anymore. Right, there's enough forum for that. But but his work absolutely going forward, it just needs to be and very clear to the rest of us what you're meaning to do.
Speaker 7: He got a lot of work to do, he does.
Speaker 1: And and since so do we and in not a lot of times, Kanye, that's all the time you get on this podcast.
Speaker 2: In the Trump era, you.
Speaker 5: Can join the podcast when.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to do that. They have kicked him out.
Speaker 6: But in the Trump come home, yeah, a stop, stop.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna it should be a question welcome home yet welcome.
Speaker 2: Home, Kanye? If you welcome home Kanye, Yeah, is not welcome.
Speaker 5: But welcome son.
Speaker 2: Hey, now you're talking.
Speaker 7: You know what this was saying.
Speaker 2: I'm with you when you're right.
Speaker 6: His mama called him Kanye. I'm gonna call him Kanye.
Speaker 7: I got that.
Speaker 1: In the Trump era, apparently the question is who has a right to bear arms. For our deeper dive today, we're gonna talk a lot about Alex Preddy, the Second Amendment, the conversation around him being armed, and how they've weaponized it.
Speaker 7: Nobody knows.
Speaker 1: Let's take a moment to talk about what the White House and CBP first had to say about Alex pretty versus what they are saying now in part, in large part because of what the community is saying about who this man was. And so I want to start here first with Border Patrol commander who's been deported from Minnesota, the Vino who blames Alex Pretty for his own murder.
Speaker 10: It just it sort of feels like we're in the upside down where we have law enforcement and conservatives who are very pro Second Amendment saying the problem was that he had a gun legally.
Speaker 11: No, the problem is, as I said several times now, is he injected himself. He put himself or he did not need to be. He put himself in and put law enforcement officers in jeopardy through his actions. These were his actions, not law enforcement officers action. We had to react to an individual that came there for a specific reason.
Speaker 3: I want, can we just because there lies? It really has been the bane of my existence watching coverage over this last several weeks, that almost every story began with the official statement of the government, the White Houses statement, which any journalists out there could see with their own eyes was a lie. I mean, it's not a it's not a variation, a deviation from the facts. It's not a reasonable set of interpretations. These people went out and they lied. So what he is saying, mister Pretty did to put himself between law enforcement. What he did was is he extended his hand to help a woman up who ice agents were assaulting all because she had her phone camera phone out recording and documenting what was happening there. He went to help her up, Are you okay? And then they aggressed upon him, right that that's that's what happened, that's what we saw. And mister Bungee, you know, Bunge, you know, whichever, mister racist in chief completely went out in front of the national press score any lie about what all of us saw with our own eyes.
Speaker 5: But to add even more context to that, it's important to note. And that's why whenever you look at these things, you cannot be reactionary, because context matters. Not only did he protect a woman who was being assaulted, indoor, pepper sprayed, or whatever that fact may be, mister Pretti was also a nurse at the Veterans Hospital. And if you add that context to it, when you see someone that is in harm's way and you're a medical professional, you're more inclined to prevent whatever danger they're going through from exacerbating, right, And so all of that context matters. You get into this question about the Second Amendment and you have these Second Amendment absolutionists. Again that word I'm using it a lot today. But we've learned through our experience that the constitutional amendments that we hold to be true don't apply equally at all at all, I mean, And the best example that I can give you is there too. Is one is Jacob Blake, who not far away from here, was gunned down in Milwaukee. And then you also had cal Rittenhouse, who was underage, who illegally possessed a weapon. And the only weapon that the quote unquote aggressor had was a skateboard. Right, And so you just see the juxtaposition of the way the Second Amendment is applied to different people. And the tragedy is that you have these forty seven hour men. And that's not a good thing. When I call you a forty seven hour man, that means that ain't no that ain't that ain't in the bed. That is you ain't got no training. Right, They got forty seven hours of training. They out there trying to deal with folks. You saw his best seven days forty seven days excuse me, forty seven day man that they they got forty seven days of training. And you can see it, I mean, you can see that the way that they engaged this man, weapon or not he had every right to have that weapon on him, every right.
Speaker 6: And I also want to just I know you mentioned Jacob Blake, but I also thought of Filando cast still sure and I'm thinking, you know, he was pulled over, yep, said Hi, I have my gun. I'm a licensed gun carrier.
Speaker 7: And he was shot and.
Speaker 5: Killed, murdered, murdered.
Speaker 3: And then at the time, similarly, the NRA didn't really statements after so many of these situations where black men have been legally armed or at least declared their weapons, and no statement of support. Now this, unfortunately, I mean, we saw an exception, right the gun Caucus of this state came out with a statement.
Speaker 5: The NRA.
Speaker 3: Came out supposedly with a statement basically saying, you know, the government has it wrong that being a law abidying gun carrying, concealed permit, weapon owning person is not a license to kill.
Speaker 7: It's not a license to kill.
Speaker 6: And it keeps happening so often that we don't see, as you said, like the stories uplifted.
Speaker 7: A black man.
Speaker 6: How many of y'all know about Steven Aeskew. He was murdered in Memphis. So this was I believe twenty sixteen. I think it was when I had just started law school, and not a lot of people know about this case. But he had parked his car at his girlfriend's apartment and he had fallen asleep waiting on her to come home, and police came to look at the car because they thought it was suspicious, saw his gun that he had a license to carry in the passenger seat, and just started shooting at him. They startled him awake, and then they shot into the car and killed him. And there was never any justice. And there's stories like this all over the country that we don't hear unless you know, you live in the community or you heard it from somebody. And I also just want to touch on real quick what you said about the forty seven days of training that I think is really key for people to understand. I'm saying this as a former federal employee. I want to remind you all that these ice agents, Customs and Border pat all these are federal employees. Okay, these people have no suit security clearance. I want to make that very clear. These people who have just been hired have no security clearance. These people have not been thoroughly vetted. They have fired so many people in the federal government that includes federal investigators, and even before we had this shortage, it would take six months to one year to actually get your investigation and clearance done. I know because I worked in my position for six months before a federal investigator did my interview and gave me my security clearance. It is a long wait, but the federal government has discretion to allow federal employees to get into these roles prior to getting their full security clearance. I need more and more people to really know about this and how this works in the federal government.
Speaker 5: These people are having you tell me what is the difference between having a security clearance and not.
Speaker 6: So a security clearance require going through your entire life. They knock on the doors of your friends and family and ask about you to make sure you're legit. They were knocking on the doors of all of my references. People get emails about me every past employer, not just a simple background check, but to make sure that you actually have the experience you say you do. I mean, they had me explain why I didn't pay a three hundred dollars Macy's credit card bill when I was nineteen years old and the card got closed, you know, And I was twenty seven, you know going in this job.
Speaker 7: They look into everything.
Speaker 6: And mind you, I didn't have a top secret or secret security clearance. I didn't have a big high level. I was on the lower level. But they're not doing this. I know they're not because I know they don't have the resources to do it. And I know what the timeline looked like before Trump came in indulged.
Speaker 3: Everything, and they didn't know that January sixth. People have been high. I mean it's been confirmed by news out lets repeatedly that January sixth, neo Nazi.
Speaker 5: What what's the confused one, the one who thinks he's white?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 3: Nick Nick.
Speaker 5: The guy from Miami, Yeah yeah, yeah yeahque and riquees Yeah yeah yeah. He didn't know if he's black, Hispanic or white man. But but you said, Nick point is nixed the podcast.
Speaker 2: I know who he is.
Speaker 1: What is he he's what is his racial background?
Speaker 5: Oh he's White's white wins. Yeah, he's like Christopher Columbus white.
Speaker 3: But the only point I wanted to make is that this administration has no respect for those clearances.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 3: They waved, they have waived senior people, people who have responsibilities for the US's representation on an international scale, who we don't know whether or not their funds trace back to foreign governments who are paying them, who paid them previous to their roles, whether they are double agents. None of that is known. In this government under Trump, beginning at its first administration, have waived the clearances for so many of these high level positions that it just doesn't even matter to them. I just wish at a base level that we could have some comfort, some belief that the people who have these roles have the one experience, knowledge and experience and know how to be there, and that they are actually on mission. And then when I said mission on the on the broader small de democratic democracy, mission not in service to an individual man, because if you work for the federal government, you don't do so in service to an individually.
Speaker 1: I want Tom, sorry, I want to get to the point before I forget. When you were raising Liz about security clearance, I had to have one on the Homeland Security Committee a TS, which.
Speaker 2: Is top secret.
Speaker 1: Of course, I didn't want to do SCI because the CIA then venture information. I was just adamantly opposed Quentin Telpro.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 1: Will just say that The other part of the coin is, yes, you have to go through this extensive background check, which you're also familiar with for the bar, but you also have to, you know, have a kind of character about you to be able to hold top secret information. And these people one can't do what we know that their president can't even do it.
Speaker 2: He had documents stored in his bathroom in Marlogo.
Speaker 7: I mean, we know what Whiskey leaks. Did you know Pete HIGs.
Speaker 6: That's his name, Whiskey leaks because he had drunk.
Speaker 5: And he first of all, and we're not going to attack people spirit to like that on this show. Sometimes people drink.
Speaker 7: A little bit, we call him whiskey. We call him whiskey leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 7: Pete Kegg's breath, that's what we called him.
Speaker 6: And I'm just gonna say, I'm sure that neither myself nor Angela have ever you know, let sensitive confidential government information.
Speaker 7: Be put in a group chat, never that we're.
Speaker 6: Not supposed to be in. And that's just another example of how they're undermining all of this. And I'm just like, I need the American public to understand.
Speaker 5: I just saw an ICE agent here in Minneapolis. Moon protesters. What y'all didn't see that?
Speaker 7: No, was it a showing his whole ass?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were. They were protesting. They were protesting outside. If Nick can pull it up while while he ain't doing nothing.
Speaker 2: We don't want to show the ass on TV.
Speaker 5: Well they blurreted out. I mean, it's just pale, so so like. But that goes to the character of That goes to the character of the law enforcement that we're talking about. Like, And it's hard for me because I am the person who looks at things from this perspective of it's I don't believe it's just like one apple fail from the tree, But I don't want to indict the entire agency because of the behavior of a few. However, however, in this particular instance, we're seeing such an influx of bad characters. We're seeing the the examples happen over and over and over again. You can't help winter culture the culture.
Speaker 3: But we can disess the culture from their success rate. And we seven out of ten, right that they seven out of ten are fails?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 3: Are they are? They shouldn't be coming into contact with US American citizens or detaining them, taking them from their homes causing them to have to walk back across county boundaries to get back to where they were lifted from. There was a story that was done about the down in Texas where the Ice agents picked up the guy. The guy, the kid because he was a minor, left his cell phone in the car. He tracks through his services where the phone is and it has been pawned at a pawn shop located and it's an attention center where he's where he was taken to.
Speaker 7: They pawned his phone. They pawned that boy.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, these guys.
Speaker 7: Real life, so you want to dte them.
Speaker 5: That's not what I said. What I said was most times you don't indict an entire agency because of the behavior of one. What I'm trying to say is that the behavior the influx of these individuals is vastly different. So even if it was one, let's say, what the cancer has metastasized so bad that the indictment for the entire agency rest appropriately. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: And I'm just saying we're about to be We're about to have a House of representatives where Mike Johnson can only afford to lose one vote, and I swear to God, every single Democrat in the House needs to be pushing to get rid of Ice, because you can do it.
Speaker 7: We just watched Donald Trump slash everything.
Speaker 6: I mean, if he can slash the entire communications department at the FDA so that nobody knows baby formula is causing batchelism, if y'all didn't see the buy Heart baby formula scandal and people are like, why didn't this information get out there about these babies in this deadly disease because they fired everybody in the calm shop, so there was nobody put it out. So if he could do that, I think y'all can get rid of the slave catchers, the Nazis, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 5: Im proceedings against Christy Noman.
Speaker 2: You got to do is low hanging fruit.
Speaker 1: But the other thing that I think is really important we and we still need to get into the segment with a little bit time when we have left. But I will just say what blows my absolute mind is the fact that these guys are like interchangeable. Now, Ice and CBP, there is no reason for border being in Minnesota. Well, the difference is that ICE is responsible for workplace raids. Traditionally, they're replaced for finding and identifying is supposed to be criminals who have you know, illegally stayed, illegally entered border patrol literally is supposed to be policing the actual freaking border.
Speaker 3: Oh you haven't heard that they're now the security team for the Olympics team for the Winter Olympics. They're now being not the Winter Olympics, Oh, yes, going to Italy. They are going to Italy as the detail for security.
Speaker 12: For the.
Speaker 5: Yes on you not only that, but did you also hear that the twenty twenty eight Olympics as a part of the security forces, their ICE is going to have a predominant role in enforcing security at the twenty twenty eight Olympics.
Speaker 3: So the Italians have of course been going haywire because they are watching what's happening here in the United States and they're saying, you cannot deploy ICE into our country, and if they come here, they absolutely can do nothing as it relates to enforcement of laws on a foreign sovereign nation.
Speaker 12: So they tried to They tried to invade the Ecuador the Equadorian consulate in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: These people have no not only a security clearance. They don't have a fundamental understanding of the law. They don't have under a fundamental understanding of the structure of law.
Speaker 3: If you if you are an embassyment and you were in the United States, located geopolitically in the United States, yes, but an embassy is sovereign territory the United States.
Speaker 1: Sovereign territory means Donald Trump, hey Jesus exactly.
Speaker 7: And you know what Italy, I'm just going to say.
Speaker 6: My message to you is if CBP comes in there in your country, act to the full.
Speaker 7: You do what you gotta do.
Speaker 5: But but it starts. It starts with it starts with one person who we started to show with. And that's what I've been telling everybody. Like local governments have rights, have authority, and sovereign as well. They are very sovereign. We fought a whole war over that sovereignty and having a whole Amendment. It's the one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine tenth.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so what that we are the people now that are like stays right.
Speaker 5: Because put a button on this, because Keith Ellison has to indict the officers who murdered these individuals. You have to. And I know people are like, why is it always on black folk to do the job? No, that is your job. And if they commit a murder, you have to treat them like other law enforcement officers who commit a murder. And let me just criminally speaking, this is what's been driving me crazy about this debate. Even the little guy that wears the Nazi coat, you can, you can. You cannot resist arrest if there's no probable cause for the underlying arrest. There's no such charge as simply resisting arrest like you cannot. And for people watching, because they do this to people all the time that I've had so many clients come to my office and they have like a duy ticket or whatever, and then not even that, let's some of them just come with the resisting arrest ticket. I'm like, where's the what else? What do you charge?
Speaker 7: Resist?
Speaker 5: What arrest? What lawful arrest? Were you resisting? He was like no, I was just there and and he was trying to and he arrested me.
Speaker 1: Said on the panels, huh, you should have said this on one of the panels on Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Oh my panel wasn't that wasn't a good one.
Speaker 3: The listeners now pay close attention because the details of this absolutely Matterfference.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I mean, and I tell people you got to know your rights, and I mean I you know, I ascribe to the notion that you always fight back in the court of law. Right, you don't die, survived the incident, don't die on the side of the street. However, if, for example, they're trying to say that Preddy was resisting arrest and there's no probable cost for any underlying arrest, which means that this is clearly a violation of ones of one's constitutional rights, and so that that on it's that false arrest, that excessive force is not only civilly chargeable, but criminally these individuals because if they do not face charges in Minnesota for the death of these two white people, then they can go to Italy, or they can go to South Carolina, or they can go to Tallahassee, or they can go to Maryland, and they can commit whatever crimes they want to with bither.
Speaker 3: Way, we have no information that any of these folks have have been removed from the forest.
Speaker 7: We have no information names which cand I actually want to make.
Speaker 6: A comment about that about their faces because a lot of people were concerned about who they called the woman in the pink jacket who got that really close up video footage.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Anderson Coopadillo.
Speaker 7: She wasn't.
Speaker 6: She unmasked herself, which is something I say just can't seem to do.
Speaker 7: Her name is Stella Carlson.
Speaker 6: She wanted to come out publicly, so I'm not doxing this woman or disrespecting her.
Speaker 7: In any way.
Speaker 6: You can find the interview, and she said she was coming out because it did not seem right to be quiet in this moment. She said she stayed there the entire time with Alex because she said she couldn't just leave it.
Speaker 7: There on the street.
Speaker 6: And this woman has more bravery in her pinky than these ICE agents have in their entire agency.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's crazy to see.
Speaker 6: And then I have to make like a slightly just one comment because you said something about, you know, Keith Ellison, and hell, we're always saying black folks gotta save us, so just it's tinged with a little bit of bitterness for the white progressives.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 6: Remember how you called that lady a cop and said you didn't want to vote for her, and now you want the prosecutors to come help you because you started getting killed. I just want to point that out real quick that right now, because I kept making this comment throughout all twenty twenty four that y'all don't like prosecutors until you need these black prosecutors. And yeah, we got problems with the legal system. Yeah it's broken.
Speaker 7: We know us and we're lawyers no more than anybody.
Speaker 5: That horse is dead. I don't beat that horse in the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's gonna keep getting beat.
Speaker 6: It's gonna keep getting beat, and it's broken. But if you to say that you can't support a black person for going into that role, and that's just basically saying you don't want any black people in these systems and all making change and then to turn around and now you want these black folks in the system to save you.
Speaker 7: Is crazy.
Speaker 6: So I just I would like I would like the white folks out there on the progressive side of things to kind of remember this skulling for.
Speaker 5: Me, I was gonna say, and the black folks too, because there's a less a lot of black men who were like, I can't vote for no proble.
Speaker 3: And again, I don't think we should paper over the fact that there's a people didn't arrive here without evidence. They didn't arrive here without life experiences that have led us to this conclusion. But now we're meeting up with some life experiences that are showing us otherwise and making the case as to why it really is important that we have some allies and people who we know and trusts who are going to be fidal to the law, FIDL to the law and fair and the disbursement of justice. But but we didn't wake up deciding this is where we were going to be. Our lived experiences have led us to a conclusion. And now we're having a we're gonna have We're coming up to the test of whether or not we resolved that properly. And I don't believe we did. And it rarely ever do we when it's driven only by our own lived experiences. It has to mess up with something. That's the same thing with this whole Second Amendment deal. I've never been you know, I believe, I believe that the Second Amendment exists. I think we have been extremely.
Speaker 5: He gave you the bare minimums.
Speaker 3: But the interpretations of that amendment, I think we have been so.
Speaker 6: Right to bare arms for him is the right to wear a tank time?
Speaker 5: ANGI like to had him guns out. Let me ask you a question. So is the So is the Second Amendment? And this is somewhat rhetorical, but like I think this highlights our point. Like is the Second Amendment Filando Castile and Jacob Bla and the young ask you man that you mentioned in Memphis? Or is the second Amendment the two white folks in Missouri who stood out on the mcclasket, them folk who stood out on the yard with ar fifty?
Speaker 3: Second Amendment is for those peaceful process In my belief is it applies to those who are most adjacent to those in power, either to the people in power or those closest.
Speaker 5: To I mean, I actually think that it's it's more narrow than that. I think that that you know, it's it belongs to those people who, of course adjacent to power. But there is a there is a negative inference among there's a negative inference going to people of color who possess weapons in this country.
Speaker 1: But it's also not just people of color. Again, Alex Purdy was a white man.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I think that's I think the reason we're seeing this blowback is because that is a very very very rare They cross the line, which is an exception to every rule they've ever done, and they're like oops.
Speaker 2: I also don't think that that's true.
Speaker 1: I think that this isn't just about protecting power.
Speaker 2: Generally.
Speaker 1: All of the constitutional amendments are selectively interpreted for those who will protect and blay their bodies on the line for white supremacy, full stop.
Speaker 3: But I don't I don't think we're saying anything different.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is, but I should think it.
Speaker 3: I think, but that is power.
Speaker 2: You're talking about real power, very specifically.
Speaker 3: But I think if if we were to evolve and that were to look different one day, I think the rules would still apply. That it is adjacent to those who either have the power or are closest to it. And the reason why I say that is because those are the folks who get the benefit of the doubt you. I get to see you as human, and through my own lens, I can actually put myself on your shoes because of that adjacency. It's because you're human, and I don't there are not these mitigating factors that make.
Speaker 5: You a threat.
Speaker 3: Because you had a gun, and you had this and you grew up in this neighborhood, and maybe you said something races over your life, and so on and so forth. All of us get mitigating factors applied to us under the color of the law. Everybody else gets the full embrace of their humanity. Correct when the people who are assessing you are you or closest to you in some way. So the president and all the President's men. The reason why they can do a total about face here is because they were reminded that these weren't just some apes out in the street that they were after, but this was a white man. It took them a while to fix their face. They wear masks for cognitive dissidents. They need to be able to separate themselves from reality. And once they peel that lens away, they were able to see we transgress on our own.
Speaker 1: Land, they transgress also on their own jurisdiction. And that's I feel like this is such a circular conversation. Hopefully we can get back into all of the amendments and how they apply, especially given this to the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, and we is still not free.
Speaker 2: Let's go to a quick viewer question and we'll get right in a cause to action.
Speaker 13: Who cares about truth when the laws more than.
Speaker 3: Saying it.
Speaker 12: Good morning family? At a Native Land pod, I was I'm on my way into work. But over the weekend, my husband and I, who are millenniums, can't even say that.
Speaker 7: But you know the group I'm trying to say.
Speaker 12: We spent the weekend with my mother in law, her brother, her sister, and their friend who are all in their sixties, and.
Speaker 7: They were yelling, not yelling, but they were.
Speaker 12: Having a conversation something about Ice is doing other business besides taking emigrants. They're taking people that you know, didn't pay back the PPP loans and all this other stuff. They're big conspiracy folks. But then my husband was saying something and he mentioned it's all about politics, and they yelled at him. They were like, it's not all about politics. Is he correct to say that everything is political in this world? Everything is with politics?
Speaker 7: First of all, who in law's I'm gonna pray for you, my lord?
Speaker 3: That's just circumspect.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're curious.
Speaker 2: Arounding up, But.
Speaker 5: I mean, what's what they're doing. What they're First of all, let me give a shout out to you for defending your husband. I like that she was like my husband. She said, my husband, my husband is right, and I need the for y'all to say my husband is right. So your husband, your husband is right. Play the clip back at the next family gathering. But your husband actually is right, So I mean they are actually there may be some people who have frauded defrauded PPP loans, because what they're doing is they're going into people's homes with reckless abandon without warrants, and they are just kind of catching everybody with or without anything they may or may not have done right or wrong. And that is not the directive. That is just a kind of an ancillary to what their goal emission may be, so that their conspiracy theory ain't all the way wrong. But it's not nail on head. The fact is everything is political and nothing happens in a vacuum. The reason that ice in the National Guard are in your street dates back to when Kamala Harrison and Hillary Clinton both said that he was going to use the military in your street to not only implement Project twenty twenty five, but to create a new world order and to instill fear in every community that's killing people without account and to kill people without account. So it ties into what they want to do by getting rid of qualified immunity and having absolute immunity. It talks about what they want to do with immigrants and how they're trying to stifle immigration, particularly in the Somali community, which is right here, how they're trying to make the world wider. We're not the world, the country wider' that's criticism Europe.
Speaker 3: Speech was all about. What we learned from Europe is that you can't just so everybody.
Speaker 5: Your husband's right, because it's all political. I mean, we talk about South African immigrants coming in this country because they're quote unquote not a drain, but yet you can't have immigrants from West Africa, you can't have immigrants from Somalia. And so your husband's absolutely correct that everything is political. I hope that you take the opportunity to listen to Georgia Ford, who was on my panel yesterday evening here in Minneapolis Tuesday, and one of the things she said, if you go back to YouTube and just listen to Georgia Ford. It was during the latter part of our conversation I asked her what is one thing in the future or right now, an event, a place of time, something that she would do to help create change that she wants to see. And she talked about depoliticizing humanity, and that was so profound that she said that, and that gives credence to your husband's statement that we have to depoliticize humanity.
Speaker 3: Accept it.
Speaker 5: What won't happen.
Speaker 3: I mean the policy people every I mean, this is where we live, It's who we are, and it exists in everything that we encounter in the course of our day, from what we eat, right in the regulation around what we can and what we can and what industry produces, what pesticize and so on and so forth are It exists in everything. And I know people hate to hear that. I hate to know that in some ways, mostly because of the bastardization of what should be good social political interface. Unfortunately, the most powerful people, as they have since the beginning of time, have figured out ways to weaponize and manipulate and bastardize these processes for political meaning power gain. I should separate that just political gain, but power gain the ability to then get to decide the politic of all of us. The ability to curate the politics of every single whatever that looks like. It may look like suppression for us, for others it may look like wild abandoned, and for others it looks like power. It differs certainly in this country, but I think in the world based off of who you are and how close you are to the decision makers, the people who are in position to make decisions that then create consequence with the rest of us.
Speaker 6: And I just want to point out, for just again because you're talking about everything being political, another example, and that you're in law zy to learn and you to learn the term remigration. It's r E M I G R A t io N. It's like migration, but re in front of it, right, And that's the term that the Trump administration has been using. And that is tied to Alternative for Dutschland, which is AfD, which is the far right Nazi party in Germany that Elon Musk has been supporting and trying to bring up. And I got to go to the German Parliament last year and actually get to talk to the folks and the journalists who expose the AfD and what they're doing, and they focused on reemigration and that is where they take people who are not German enough, not immigrants, not necessarily immigrants, you're just not German enough, and they send you somewhere else. And the Trump administration is using that same term. And it's no coincidence that Elon Musk was deep with AfD and was also deep with the Trump administration, right, So, and yes, Steve Bannon and so I really encourage them to think about the fact that it's not just about PPP loans. The conspiracy. I always tell people, like people dig for these conspiracies. I'm like, the truth is right there in front of you. Yeah, they're saying they're snatching people up, probably for PPP loans of different things.
Speaker 7: And the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine is just dead, I guess.
Speaker 6: But they are doing it in service of remigration to find a reason to kick your black asses out of this country, your brown asses out of this country, regardless of your citizenship status.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of getting our asses kicked out, we are at the tail end of our show where we do calls to action, and so I would like to yield to my co hosts on what their calls to action are for this week. Yeah, you're not ready. Okay, come on, bit Booker squared. If y'all don't follow Booker Squared, you're missing out. You in the latest breakdowns in politics and everything that's going on in the world.
Speaker 2: And a very quick quick she talked quick, y'all. You got to keep up. She's smart.
Speaker 7: I do talk quick.
Speaker 6: I need y'all to call your senators. I need you to call your senators and tell them to vote no on this additional ICE funding.
Speaker 7: That's what I want you to do. I understand that you said you.
Speaker 6: Weren't sure about how this would affect things if we didn't, you know, appropriate the money. I think we shouldn't be appropriate that additional money to ICE, So I want you to call it two zero two two two four three one two one. Take you to the switchboard, ask for your senator, and you can go to my account.
Speaker 7: Booker squared.
Speaker 6: There's a tricky little post that says how to get a six figure brand deal with my picture in front of it. That's just a trick the algorithm. If you scroll, it's actually stuff to get rid of Ice. There's a script in there that you can use to call your senator.
Speaker 7: What is that?
Speaker 5: What's my what's my partner's name, uh too real, too raw. This was how I slept with six married men in one.
Speaker 2: Night, married straight married straight.
Speaker 5: Married men in one night. It was to get ice.
Speaker 2: I loved it. You guys are brilliant.
Speaker 7: No, and you know what you on?
Speaker 2: Cause to action? Are you back to out for commentary? You'll call it? Okay? Good? I'm just checking Jobby going going.
Speaker 5: So No, I think I think I called action ties in yours because although I'm not, I don't see the political benefit of, uh shut down. What I do see the benefit of is what I want people to do, which is get involved in the process. And I don't want to dampen people's spirit. So if people are actively engaged with Booker Square or whatever it may be, to go out and call their senators and build their relationships and begin to make that a habit. I want people to get involved because now is the time. We've had a year of respite. People were worn out after the elections. People were tired, they were down, They were like, I can't believe we're here. Now is the time we need people to get re engaged and rest on that bad rock of faith that I mentioned to Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm with the two of you on that. It's hard to see where we come out on the partial government shut down if they what I think is happening now is a game of chicken. I think the Senate Majority leader does not believe that Democrats in the US Senate have the courage required to stop these appropriations bills, because they can do it very simply by separating out ICE funding and allowing the other bills to go through. The Senate leadership can do that, they're choosing not to. And so to the extent that we can give our senators the spines that they need to force the Republican leadership to the table of negotiation. Since this is a divided country, then I think we do what is required to make that happen. Is that your call to action, make your calls to the US Senators.
Speaker 2: I love it. Okay, well, but Cary brought up habits. You know what else is?
Speaker 1: The habit is stunting and speaking of those who stunt, Ryan Coogler's sent is breaking records. Even in the whitening of America, there's a blackening of the Academy Awards. They had sixteen Academy Award nominations. We want to encourage the Center's family. Yes, the most in history. They are breaking records. That's what I'm meant. You're right breaking. He made history record breaking, so we want to congratulate them on that, especially in this really challenging time.
Speaker 2: And speaking of nominations, this is my stunt.
Speaker 1: We are also up for an n double ACB Image where we encourage y'all to go vote at this link below for those of y'all watching. For those of you at home as vote dot n double ACP Image Awards dot net. For white people, it's vote dot n a a CP Image Awards dot net. Also, my good sister Elizabeth he there dominated nominated too.
Speaker 2: She's not in our category, you know, doing so well.
Speaker 5: You know what the B stands for. Michael B. Jordan was O God, Cary, you know what, it's Michael.
Speaker 2: Study Trump's brain. They should throw him that just help him. He still found a way to make centners nomination about him.
Speaker 5: You know, it's I'm just letting you know. I looked it up, looked y'all had no idea.
Speaker 3: But you see, he's not that proud guys.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing about couldn't he couldn't compete.
Speaker 1: So you guys know how he was just saying, how I get on his nerves. This is why he get on my nerves. This is the main one that want to have a heart out of everything and the main one to be off message, off topic and out of time.
Speaker 2: So with that, y'all, we want to remind everybody.
Speaker 12: You want to.
Speaker 2: Want to remind everybody we want to leave.
Speaker 1: We want everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampard. We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our Reason Choice Media Network's Politics with Jamel Hill, Off the Cup with Besie Cup, and now you Know What Noah David Risso be sure to give those a follow, and don't forget to follow us on social media as well.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to our text.
Speaker 1: Or email list on Native landpod dot com. We are Angela Right, Andrew Gillim Bacari Sellers and Elizabeth Booker Houstix.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: There the welcome two hundred and eighty four days until midterm elections is still too much shine.
Speaker 13: Welcome home to the Native Landing on the podcast Face Tess and for greatness.
Speaker 5: Sixty minutes is so hit not too long.
Speaker 3: For the great ship.
Speaker 13: High level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it. So get invested. Cross the t's and doctor I kill them. Got them as sellers? Staying on business or why you could have been anywhere but you chose us.
Speaker 5: Native land Pod.
Speaker 7: Is the brand that you can trust y.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visits iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,