Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Welcome everyone to this Sunday edition of Your Morning Run. It is Sunday, June eighth, and welcome to the Amy and TJ Podcast. And on Sundays we like to go over our quotes of the week because to Sundays or days for reflection and inspiration. And so sometimes maybe you don't make it all the way to the end of Morning Run and you missed the quote of the day or on you yeah, or maybe you just want to remember it to say, what was that quote because it felt so good to think about it that day. So we're going to put them all for you in one space and talk a little bit about why we chose them. And this week was a special week for our quotes of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speak ause. Gabby Bernstein. Many of you, probably all of you seemingly know her exactly who she is self help Guru is at the.
Speaker 1: New York Times bestselling author. She has ten books. But yes, her self help books are I mean, for me, they were absolutely like.
Speaker 2: Change is it the right title? I mean, it's not offensive to call self help gurus.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I call her. I think that's the best way to sum up what she does. But this is all hard earned wisdom that she has sought out, that she has studied, that she has put into practice, that she continues to learn and share. And I have felt like so much of what she has to say is simple and yet incredibly effective. And it's all about self empowerment. It's all about giving you tools to manage your life and view your life and view your role in this world in a different way. And I appreciate it. So we're going to go over the quotes we chose from her. The first one, Do we say she's a studio with us? Oh? Yeah, Well she was in studio with us, for sure.
Speaker 2: Do we even say that yet?
Speaker 1: Well we so? Okay, So this is Sunday. Hopefully you've already listened to the part one of Gabby Bernstein, which we dropped on Saturday, which was yesterday, and part two was coming later today. And yes, she was in studio with us. I finally got to meet this woman who I have had in my head for all these years. I say that because I listened to all of her audiobooks and a lot of times when I'm running. So you know, when you listen to somebody who narrates their own books, you kind of feel like they're your friend, that you know them. So when I saw her, I was that weirdo who was like basically assuming we were already friends because I knew her. But she was lovely and gracious and everything.
Speaker 2: I hope she was tolerant more she was tolerant of your behavior.
Speaker 1: She was tolerant of my super fandom.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I'm kidding. You were actually more chill with her than I expected. Never really, I really expected you to embarrass us both.
Speaker 1: I was trying to be cool, but inside I was like freaking out like a little girl. All right, meeting my idol. So we'll start with the quote we went with to start the week from Gabby Bernstein, It's never too late to choose again. How awesome is that we think we've missed the boat. We're too late, it's already over. Why would I do it now? I mean, all of those thoughts we've all had in our head.
Speaker 2: Well, I like it says choose again at the end. Right, I said, of late to change? Maybe you it sounds different when you put it that way. It's never too late to make a different decision. Look at the too late part. I mean how many of us. I mean, there's some athletes who are twenty seven and think it's too late for them. There are folks who are in their mid thirties who think it's too late for a relationship. There are folks from their late forties who think it's too late to get out of this marriage. I'm stuck here, so I don't know. It's hard to do though.
Speaker 1: We hear this a lot about relationships and about careers, and we've both been put in the position now where we have realized it's not too late to choose again. It's funny you say that because in my thirties I thought my life was over when I was getting divorced and I thought, I'm washed up, I'm never going to find anyone. And then when I was forty nine and was getting divorced again, you know, you have these same feelings of did you think you were watched up over and we're going to find anybody? Well, I had a best friend that was by my side that turned into something that I didn't imagine it could be. So on somebody just kidding this be an inspiration, yes, sorry, But even like with your career, This happens to so many people. Either you get fired or you get laid off or whatever, and you think I won't have another opportunity, or say, you're in a bad pattern of bad behavior, whether it's too much alcohol, or you treat people poorly, or you treat yourself poorly, or you have gained weight and you don't think you can get out of it. It is never too late to choose again, And I like what you said about choose because that is so empowering. You get to decide, you get to choose. She says, it's never too late. She also has said this, it's never too late to choose the next best thing. Sometimes you don't have the right answer, and you don't know where you're going, and you don't know what to do, but you can choose the next best thing.
Speaker 2: I like them when she puts it like that, because you can certainly do better than the thing you're doing right now. You got to get it perfect, but you can do better than this. So yes, it was such a pleasure to have her in studio and talking about never too late and learning something new. We had to figure out a whole new industry, and this is the best sign of how successful we've in Gabby Bernstein agreed to come on.
Speaker 1: Our show exactly, We've made it.
Speaker 2: We've been after her from the beginning.
Speaker 1: I felt like that it was a huge win and a milestone in our podcast. The next quote we have from her, obstacles are detours in the right direction. I have had this particular quote of hers on my phone for years now, because, Yeah, when you hit that wall and you keep pushing, you keep trying, and it's just not going anywhere. Again. This could be with anything in your life, including relationships, but that means that you're just being led or guided in a different direction. You can stop trying to bang your head against the wall and realize it shouldn't be this hard. I can choose, I can go in a different direction. And a lot of times we don't get something because we were never intended to have it in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's hard in the moment. It requires faith. That quote requires faith because when that obstacle is in your way, you don't necessarily a lot of us, maybe probably most of us, don't see it as a blessing or see it that Okay, this is now putting me on the course. I'm supposed to be on because we are so one track mind and in bullheaded. This is what I want to do, This is what I want to do. What is the line man's rejection is God's protection? Kind of a thing you got to have. This one requires faith. But I like how she put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one of the things she always says, the universe has your back. That's one of her famous quotes. But she said universe could be God, universe can be whatever spiritual deity or whoever you look up to for guidance. You have to trust, and you're right. Faith is a huge part of this. But I love when you start realizing, wait, this isn't working. Remembering her quote obstacles are detours in the right direction. Hopefully will make you feel a little bit better about considering a different path. All right. The next quote, this is one of my favorites. The very second we choose a loving thought, our emotions shift and our energy changes. This is realignment with the universe or God. And it's true we all get in these negative thought patterns, sometimes daily, sometimes hourly. But if you can stop yourself and choose a loving thought, whether it's a loving thought towards yourself, a loving thought towards the person you're frustrated with. It changes your body, like you feel your shoulders relax, you feel your chest loosen, you feel like you can breathe easier. It is amazing the power of thoughts, both good and bad, what they do to our body.
Speaker 2: I actually have been using this since we saw her. Not the quote. She said something else similar, but said it to me personally in the room that day, about just choosing the next best thing emotion you can come up with. Just come up with the next best emotion. So it really is about getting out of a moment and getting out of a pattern. But that's simple, little practice, but it takes it actually does take practice.
Speaker 1: Well, it takes practice. The first step is to recognize it. And she asked you, how does your body feel? And when you have this negative thought or this negative feeling, your chest titans. Some people feel it in different places, but a lot of us feel it in our chest. And that's exactly what you said. And when you can recognize, wait, what is happening with me? And you check in with yourself and you ask yourself, what do you need? And that's a loving thought to yourself. You can also say that to the person who you're frustrated with. If you're angry, what do you need Because there's either you're in pain or the person you're dealing with is in pain. And so choosing a loving thought and a lot of times is just about being curious and about being loving and not about being judgmental. And man, it's a game changer. It is such a game changer. So one more time for you. The very second we choose a loving thought, our emotions shift and our energy changes. This is realignment with the universe. All right. This is another thing, Gabby. Actually, this is a quote that you won't find really online anywhere, because this is a quote she actually said to us in the podcasting room, and it stood out to me. So I was actually taking notes as she was speaking. Gabby said, if you project out, you don't have to I feel what's inside. So start checking in instead of checking out. So so many of us, if we're upset with someone and we're projecting, actually what we're dealing with that we don't want to deal with inside, and so we're putting it on someone else. And if you're dealing the wrath from someone else, it's a good way to not take it so personally because almost certainly that anger or the way they're saying it, how they're saying it is about them and the pain that they're dealing with that they actually sorry, that they don't want to deal with, and so they're putting it onto you. It's just a perspective that can change how you feel about how you're treating someone else, or how you're treating yourself, or how others are treating you.
Speaker 2: The concept was one it made me think about Katie Perry after all the flaks she got after the ride up to Space and aim. People just vicious, they were awful to her online, you know, on Twitter and all that stuff. But she finally made a statement where she said, I essentially said, I am sending back love. I know a lot of people out there are in pain for whatever various reason, and sometimes being here makes you feel better, she said, in a very kind way.
Speaker 1: It wasn't patronizing, No.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. That's the right word. It was not that. So it came off as an understanding that, hey, everybody is going through something, and even though you're throwing this stuff at me, I understand I'm not really the one that's the cause of your pain. That is what I see with this quote. Can you read the first part of it again, not the last check in and check out, but the first part.
Speaker 1: If you project out, you don't have to feel what's inside.
Speaker 2: So stop and apply that to everybody. That's the waiter that's given you attitude, the flight attendant who wasn't as who wasn't as kind as she could have been, somebody yelling at you on the street, a friend of yours, a coworker who was going off, And if you apply that to them and go wow, they probably are going through something.
Speaker 1: You say that all the time, and that allows you to give other people of grace. Yes, the harder thing to do is to apply it to yourself. So if you're getting angry with someone or you're feeling frustrated at someone, to be able to check yourself in that moment and say, wait, why am I acting like this? Why am I reacting like this? Why am I putting this on someone else? Every time you point the finger at someone else for how you're feeling, it's a moment to say, wow, I'm projecting. What do I need to actually feel inside? What do I actually need to address or be curious about with what's happening with me? Why am I reacting this way? That's a much harder way to apply it. But man, when you kind of are able in the moment, you won't do it all the time. But even if it's after the fact, if you can actually acknowledge, dang, I wasn't taking care of my own issues and I let it get the best remind you, and I put it on someone else, it's going.
Speaker 2: To remind you of that next time you're putting it on me. We're just gonna stop at the morning and say, sweetheart, you are projecting because you don't want to have to deal with whatever pain you have going on inside. How do you think that's gonna gop?
Speaker 1: I don't think that is what she is suggested. I know I don't do that. That would be the worst possible because in that moment, if you're projecting, you're obviously not in touch with how you're actually feeling inside, and that probably will be explosive. So don't do what TJ just said. But also, if you wish your partner could do that, maybe just hope that they will one day and pray for that that you can actually be introspective and say, wait, why am I acting this way? All right? The last quote she gave us on Friday that we shared with all of you, and this is more of She's really begin to mantras that when you wake up there are things you can do to set your day off right. And when you're feeling a certain way, you can repeat some of these mantras throughout the day when you need them. And I love that kind of a tool in my tool belt. So here is her quote today, I no longer need to change the world around me. I just need to change the way I see it. I have said a version of this to myself a lot actually since we spoke, because it could just be the long line, or the traffic, or the honking or the person who bumped into you. It's amazing what can set us off. So we want to control everything. We want to make sure no one upsets us or affects our timeline. But the truth is that's hilarious. You can't affect anyone else. You can only change how you perceive it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can't change the circumstances. You can only change how you say them. It's that simple, man. It gives you a whole different. Just I would encourage everybody to do that, just try one day that if whatever happens, just take it in a different type of stride, just let it roll, let it go, just surrender to the moment. Whatever happens, it happens to us sometimes, well I usually I think you've seen it happen to me, where things go so badly, like everything goes wrong to the point I start laughing at the next thing that happens, and let's just keep it pushing. But it can't be frustrating, and that takes work, and that takes practice. But yeah, the name anything that happens, well, you know what jesse j. We talked about her last week announcing she has breast cancer, right, and what does she do next? She made a joke about the upside to having breast cans that.
Speaker 1: She's gonna get some big boobs, and she said it might be you know, the most uh not not the way anyone would want to get new boobs, but hey, I'm gonna come back with big boobs and more music. She used another term that was even funnier that I won't repeat here, but yeah, she she found a way to find a cheeky silver lining, a.
Speaker 2: Cheeky silver lining, and you can kind of do that to almost anything that takes place in your life. I'm not making light and she's not making light of a cancer diagnosis. What I'm saying that just happened. It came to my mind. But you can't look at everything differently. Yeah, all kinds of things that have happened though they've been what was it we didn't we missed out on running a race in Memphis because of the weather and it ended up having the most wonderful day ever, and things we couldn't have done otherwise.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, because obstacles are detours in the right directtion. Shit, I mean, you know, all of these quotes actually all support the others because it's the same general theme about releasing control and trusting that the universe, that God, that your spirit guides, that your guardian angels are guiding you. And if you can trust that and have faith in that even when you hit these bumps and when things don't go your way, if you believe you're where you're supposed to be, because guess what, that's when you learn. You only learn when you're uncomfortable. So that's the cool part. We have a bonus quote. Can we get a bonus quote?
Speaker 2: Fine? All right?
Speaker 1: Bonus quote. This is from Gabby Bernstein. Remember that you have a choice in what you see. If you choose to see a person's darkness, you strengthen your darkness within. If you choose to see their light, you shine from the inside out. I've heard people say, if you're looking for something in someone, you will find it. So why not look for the good if you're looking for the bad, If you're looking for a reason to justify how you're feeling, you will find it in someone. And then you'll look at everyone in that person and even yourself through a negative lens. It brings everyone down. So you can choose how you see someone.
Speaker 2: How about that is another challenge? Everybody you come in contact with, find something good about them. How that'll go?
Speaker 1: She even talks about taking the practice of smiling at strangers. I'd like to see you do that.
Speaker 2: I am very friendly on elevators. Are you are?
Speaker 1: You are one of the friendliest people, way friendlier than me.
Speaker 2: I am friendly anytime you're in an environment where you're one on woman, So why you acknowledge them? You always every head driver, every waight or ever you know, to direct you people's names. Yes, I smile. I'm the friendliest guy you are.
Speaker 1: But have you ever smiled at a stranger walking down the street. It's actually amazing. Okay. I made a practice of this after I heard her say this one time, and it was remarkable the smiles I got back, and how that made me feel.
Speaker 2: So you've been out there flirting for.
Speaker 1: I'm talking with small children or women. It's not just with like men, it's with everybody.
Speaker 2: It sounded weirder. I think I prefer you smile men.
Speaker 1: No, But I love this, so we'll leave it to you. We'll leave this with you for one last quote, and I think this is All of these things are great things to put into practice with this one especially, remember that you have a choice in what you see. If you choose to see a person's darkness, you strengthen your darkness within. If you choose to see their light, you shine from the inside out. And with that, we hope you all have a beautiful beginning to your week on this Sunday. Thank you for listening, and please check out both parts one and two of our incredible life changing conversation with Gabby Burnsneth.
Speaker 2: Now go smile at some men, women and children,