Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decided to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Charchian.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly. I am Paul Charchian. It is a micro edition a Fantasy Football Weekly. My micro co host continues to be Tyler Cannablie. Hey, buddy, Hey, what's going on. Good to have you back. Sorry for the extended absence that was me taking out a jumping out of town while the getting's good. May is the quietest month in the NFL calendar? Yeah, quietly?
Speaker 3: Is it? July? Is it like that? Isn't there like a week in July where there's nothing going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean right before training camp there's never any moves and all that stuff too, But right after the drafts really quiet too. So anyway, so appreciate the listeners that were maybe looking for Fantasy about Weekly micro and weren't there, But we're back. Today's player is Geno Smith. Yes, this is the deep dive on one player, Geno Smith. Why did why did you pick Gino Smith because.
Speaker 3: We wrote him off and he didn't right back. Well, he was a big winner from the draft though, just considering kind of who they drafted. I mean, they draft Jas in the first round, we got Zach Scharbade in the second round. Just good for the offense. Not good for Kenneth Walker, but good for the offense overall. Yeah, he was QB five last year and the QB nine average points per game and he's currently going off the board as QB sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is which is a little bit baffling. And I confess that when we when we prepped up for this and I really started looking more into Geno Smith, and then I went back to my player rankings, which are coming at Guillotine leagues dot Com very shortly, and I had him at QB fourteen. I'm like, you know what, I can't do that, I can't stand by that. I'm gonna have to move him. I'm gonna have to move Geno Smith to uposition. That's more befitting what he did in seventeen games last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, do you know how many stats he finished top five? And this is all these stats are credit of billion musical from a man versus machine player profiler. These are not my stats at an allog PISA up. But okay, so many stats. So true completion percentage number.
Speaker 1: Four, what is true completion, catchable passes, their version of catchable.
Speaker 3: Passes, deep ball completion percentage number five, pressure completion number five, play action completion percentage number three, clean pocket completion percentage number three, QBR number six, completion percentage versus man number three, and carries he was number eight. I not think Gino ran many times last year. It was number eight, and carries among quarterbacks last year.
Speaker 1: Right now, you only had the one rushing touchdown, which I think makes us not think of him as a rushing quarterback. But he was sneaking in. It feels like, well I looked it up, twenty two rushing yards per game. Hey, that's two point two points. We'll take that. I wouldn't lose games by two point two points like every week, Yeah, for sure, So you know I'll take that. So all those things, true completion, pressure, completion percentage, QBR do those things equal fantasy success? That's my question? Or is this like a Kirk Cousins style conversation where you can be a good quarterback, but not necessarily an electric fantasy producer.
Speaker 3: For Geno Smith, I think it's closer to the latter, because I think those stats give you consistency. They give you a good amount of points each week, but they're not going to give you those boom weeks where I don't think it's in the cards for Gino to finish as like the QB three or the QB four, even though he finished as the QBE five last year. It just I don't know what. Maybe he just threw more. He threw a lot of touchdowns last year. I think he was he threw.
Speaker 1: Well, he threw. He threw touchdowns in fifteen of seventeen games, which was a huge factor, which we you know, we love that part and we love the consistency. He scored multiple touchdowns in twelve of seventeen games and he played seventeen games. Really, Gino Smith was a perfect Gullotine League quarterback, oh for sure. I mean just every week, just giving you solid numbers that don't get you cut by the way. Guillotine leagues dot Com new season is open. I forgot to mention this at the outset. The twenty twenty three season available now you can join leagues. You can create a private league for you and your friends. Guillotin leagues dot com highly recommended. Of course, is Gino Smith an every week starter?
Speaker 3: I think he is for sure. I don't think you can if he even just he gives you ninety percent of what he gave you last season, and now he gets another weapon in here with Jackson Smith and Jigba, who is the first receiver drafted off the board, I mean everyone's kind of wide receiver, one of the class. I don't see how you can't start him every week unless you go a quarterback earlier and then, like I mean, especially in super FLYX, he's a perfect a high end QB two honestly, like I'll pair Geno with I think we talked about with Kirk Cousins. But if you pair Geno with a guy like Justin Fields or Lamar Jackson, somebody who might have a lower floor but at very high ceiling, Gino gives you that consistency at kind of that QB two position. And something else that that was interesting was the whole narrow live in Seattle when Russell Wilson was there was let Russ Cook let rust through the ball. Yeah, Pete Carroll did not let Russ throw the ball as much as I think Seahawks fans wanted him to. So, Russell Wilson played ten years in Seattle. He never threw the ball more than five hundred and fifty eight times in a season. G you know, threw the balls five hundred and seventy two times last year.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty more passes than Russell Wilson had any game. And you know, obviously Russell Wilson brought that team to two Super Bowls.
Speaker 3: Granted, this probably the game the new Week seventeen where there's not like another week, but still it's it's it's incredible that Gino Smith did what he did last year, and like he was going undrafted in the league last year, you could pick it. You picked this guy up two week.
Speaker 1: Three and commonly ranked as the thirty two ranked quarterback.
Speaker 3: He was done in my few all seas.
Speaker 1: I'd love to say that I got that one right, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I can't. I can't remember a single person last year he was like, you know what, you should take Geno Smith, because I.
Speaker 1: Will say I will say this for ourselves here in this show numerous times last summer, including when we did we did a full Seahawks breakdown in the middle of summer last year. We looked at the three Ish games that Gino Smith started when we were like, you know, he averaged more points than Russell Wilson did. He was not bad. I mean, he looked good in those games, and we said that, but then we promptly ranked him like, you know.
Speaker 3: Thirtieth exactly because he had so many chances earlier in his career with the Jets, and I think I forget where he was at like the Ravens. I can't remember where he was after he got drafted by the Jets. But still, I mean, the weapons that he has in this offense, the old Lion was like gonna was a potential question. Last year. They drafted like two guys that were like solid starters for them, Charles Cross and the other right Tack. I forget his name, but I remember he did just being really solid. And like, where's the like the problem in this offense, like tight end Noah Fan maybe like that's the worst position group in this offense. I don't know. I just think this offense is going to be really good and having Gino is going to be a part to that.
Speaker 1: The addition of Jackson Smith and Jig but certainly helps. It gives you one more solid target and potentially an explosive one of that. But the other thing it does is if anything happens to DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, you know they missed half a season. This offense doesn't have to skip a beat. That's the I love. I love the redundancy that Jackson Smith and Jigbab brings to this offense and what it provides for Geno Smith just another just another way that you can roll into your season going Geno Smith's my guy. I'm not taking a quarterback till round eight and Gino Smith's my guy, and I'm just gonna roll with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it. I like it too.
Speaker 1: Let's look at some of the other players that are going at his approximate ADP.
Speaker 3: I love playing the ADP game with quarterbacks, especially because it's I feel like it's just easier and like quarterbacks are so talked about, so everyone has an opinion on certain quarterbacks. But this is this is we haven't talked about this since this happened. Anthony Richardson is the QB ten right now.
Speaker 1: So you know the tricky part in Richardson, of course, is he could start zero games this year. None.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's gonna happen. Everything you're seeing I feel like is he's gonna start. He's already splitting first team reps.
Speaker 1: It's a good sign. But it's but Ojay's don't mean much. It's a good sign. Richardson of course is gonna bring freaky upside. I think I think I would I think I would go Richardson.
Speaker 3: Okay Dak Prescott QB eleven.
Speaker 1: Man. The way Ja Dak's season ended was such a bad taste in everybody's mouth. Some bad interceptions, but he was still a solid fantasy producer still. And know Ezekiel Elliott, which is interesting. So you know Zeke has been the guy who's pounded in all those touchdowns from inside the five. Pollard's not quite that guy. And so if Pollard doesn't take those as is Dak gonna throw five more touchdowns from inside the five yard line?
Speaker 3: That's nice. That's a good point. I never I didn't even think about it. Might do that because they don't have that big, bruising back really on the roster.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, Zeke was so good at making, you know, turning those carries into touchdowns. So I think I'm gonna go Prescott here as well. So I think I'm gonna stick with Prescott.
Speaker 3: At QB eleven, I think I'm gonna go Gino just because I think the total offense is still better than the Cowboys. So I'm gonna go Gino. But to QB Denmer twelve, Let's say, I know you injury things are concern Do you see how big he looked at in OTAs By the way, big body's.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take Gino Smith for the safety to who knows I might get one game out of to us, So yeah, I'm not taking two anywhere near his adp. All right, we'll take Gino Smith.
Speaker 3: There, all right? Kirk cousins QB thirteen.
Speaker 1: Well, I got kirkhead of all these guys, so you know this is not a news flash of many of our listeners. I think Kirk sitting on a very Gino Smith like season, and I made the comparison earlier. All Kirk does is produce really solid numbers every week.
Speaker 3: So can I ask, why do you think Kirk will be better than Geno, Like specifically, I.
Speaker 1: Think the totality the offense is going to be better. And then I like the Jordan Addison addition because I think he will be better. You'll get more out of him than the Vikings got out of feeling last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotcha. I think they could lead the league of past attempts as well.
Speaker 1: They could. That team is not interested, man, I'm not interested in running the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, I think I take Geno just because I just I don't know, Like we said, he was QB five last year in the situation, seemingly got better and now you might even some be in for some touchdown regression, but who knows. I'll just I'm just I'm just so high on Geno right now. I don't see me ever coming down Daniel Jones QB fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll take Tino for the for the safety.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Could be because if Daniel Jones doesn't run, he gives you very little, Right, fifteen touchdowns last year is as the quarterback go through a season with fifteen.
Speaker 3: He's out better weapons than the off season, seemingly right, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Waller's get it looks like yeah, I think it slept on see, I don't like it.
Speaker 3: You don't like why? It's funny like he wanted the Blinten Cough of war last year. No one.
Speaker 1: Although I don't think that's a very good measure of It's not of NFL success. The Lietant Coff winners.
Speaker 3: I do feel like the most recent ones have been good.
Speaker 1: Though, Google, will you Google, You've got your compute up front of you. Let's take a look at the Bolittant Cough winners and see if I'm right or wrong. It feels like that there have been a lot of guys been very good at college. It's a little bit like the heisman is has almost no bearing on on your future success.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go, Yes twenty twenty two, High twenty twenty one. Jordan Addison, Okay, we'll find out.
Speaker 1: DeVante Smith, DeVonta Smith. Looks like that's gonna pan out fine. Jamar Chase, Jamar Chase has worked out real well.
Speaker 3: Jerry Judy good. And then James Washington Okay, and then his next stretch was tough. Dede Westbrook Okay, Corey Coleman, Amari Cooper, and then we'll we'll do Brandon Cooks. And then the next to our Marquis Lee, Justin Blackman, Justin Blackman.
Speaker 1: So it's like it that's about a fifty percent ratio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I would like to see like the the Blinton cough were also first round picks, you know what I mean? Yeah, I feel like that'd be a better kind of indicator of success.
Speaker 1: Well, most of these guys were high round picks. Yeah, exactly, almost all of them are James.
Speaker 3: I think James Washington was a round two big, wasn't he.
Speaker 1: Yah, I think he was a round two and Cory Colman and he's still in the league. But that doesn't you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see this year.
Speaker 1: I don't know Houston.
Speaker 3: Well, he was on Dallas. Was that a one year deal? I remember him last Washing.
Speaker 1: Now I think I think he's Houston this year.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, last QB we have, would just have Aaron.
Speaker 1: Rodgers, Gino Smith.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I'm with it.
Speaker 1: You know, I need to I need to know for sure Aaron Aaron's got anything left in the arm, because I don't like what I saw last year for sure. But he could have DeAndre Hopkins throw too. But by the time people are listening to this, maybe DeAndre Hopkins is a Jet that would help a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see, like posted a Jets logo or something on a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's about It might mean nothing. It probably doesn't mean he's just maybe, you know, maybe he's just trying to work up some you know, work up a little bit of frenzy about who he is.
Speaker 3: Because he posted an Instagram story of him watching the Patriots Super Bowl and NFL Network that they were just like re running or something like that. Yeah, the Patriots.
Speaker 1: He's got the most receptions for any player under thirty history of the league.
Speaker 3: He's unbelievable, the history of the league.
Speaker 1: And he was just he missed half of last year. Yeah, unbelievable. Yeah, it's it's I don't think he's washed.
Speaker 3: I don't think I don't think he is either. He looked good last year when he played, thought I thought it looked good. He wants the people some leaks he was he was really good, like in that later part of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, DeAndre Hopkins has got you know, that's right now, and he's only gonna help himself. Whatever landing spot he has is better than the Colt McCoy led Cardinals. He was gonna have for at least a good chunk of this year. That Cardinals team is bad, so yeah, wherever he goes, it's gonna be. I don't know what. I don't know what DeAndre Hopkins ADP is.
Speaker 3: It's right now, it's about like wide receiver. I think he's going like right after. He's in like that Amari Cooper, Deebo, Samuel Tier right now if I remember correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, I love both those guys a lot. They're both both of those guys inside my top like eleven or twelve.
Speaker 3: So I'm really high in those guys.
Speaker 1: And I was last year too, in the year before. But anyway, all right, thank you for listening to this edition of Fantasy Football Weekly Micro. We'll have another deep dive on a notable player tomorrow as well. Stay tuned for that. Thanks everybody,