Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Driving Nick Rat Episode four seventy five, Wow Getting Closed Episode five hundred. This episode of What Right with Nick Wright is presented to you by boost Mobile. Good afternoon, Demanse. Busy week for you moving into a new spot. Busy month for everybody that's been dialed into the World Cup as just wall to wall NonStop action up to an including games like this afternoon. Like we have had three games, Demanse in the last five days that would have been the game of the tournament in half of the World Cups of my lifetime. Argentina Cape Verday Friday night was an all time classic. Mexico England Sunday Evening was as hyped as any round of sixteen game I've ever seen, exceeded the hype and then kept exceeding it, and in a sneaky one just a couple hours ago, Argentina Egypt just an epic. Egypt up to nothing, Argentina comes back to steal it. We'll get more into that game later. However, one of the last lasting legacies demand of this World Cup might be the entire world coming around to my side. That instant where you play makes sports worse. Egypt having a goal stolen for a penalty that happened fifteen minutes prior in the lead up to the to the goal. Was just unreal, and so all of that. Uh yeah, Egypt did then didn't writing another they scored right after the same guy. Yeah, you're right about that, So all of that. But the big story is, of course, one of the few games of this tournament that has not been a classic, not been that well played, not actually that interesting unless you were rooting for one of the two teams involved. That was Belgium in the US. We'll get to that in a second, but first straight to voicemail, brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile. Donovan Mitchell signs a four year, smooth two hundred and seventy million dollar extension. As we inch closer and closer to the first NBA player that will in fact average one million dollars a game. For someone to do that, we need someone to sign a four year to what would the no, that's wrong on that. He's almost seventy million a game, So we need someone to sign a three year two forty six or a four year three twenty eight for someone to average a million a game. We'll get there. Soon enough. Caleb Williams signed a jersey for the pope evidently, and the Royals do something that's more rare than a perfect game, score a run in every inning, but nobody cares because the Royals are that they actually aren't very good, but there's still a cool little accomplishment. Also a couple reminders subscribe to the pod. It helps us out tremendously, particularly if you subscribe on YouTube, iTunes or Spotify. On iTunes or YouTube, if you want to throw us a five star rating, that would be great. And we are going to have this week a mail bag episode coming out at the end of the week for the first time in a while. If you want to send a long form question, what's right mailbag at gmail dot com is how you do that. Also another reason to subscribe Thursday to Monday. I am going I actually might miss the last like ten minutes of the TV show because I there is a four pm kickoff between France and Morocco in Boston that I need to get to. TV show ends that moon. It's usually about a third three and a half hour drive, so I want to give myself a little extra wiggle room.
Speaker 2: And so if you want it quick one.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if a flight would actually be faster like it's far as yeah, like the show, yeah and so, and there's more likely for a catastrophic delay and a flight delayed then you're just out of there. And so I mean I hired, I'm not driving. I hired a car to basically for the day, but kick off at four. So maybe I leave the studio in Manhattan around I don't know, eleven forty and hopefully get there. The other piece of that is there's a building collapsing in Manhattan right now as we speak. They've had to evacuate a few blocks of Midtown, So I don't know what that's gonna do to traffic. I'm not sure. I know. I hope to get there on time. We will see. Because of that, Thursday's Pod is now Wednesday's pod, so we're doing a pod tomorrow again. If you subscribe to the pod, you don't have to worry about any of that. All right to mom's a, let's get right to it. The letdown of the tournament Belgium in the US.
Speaker 3: So historic World Cup run by the USA ended like so many of them have for US before, in a loss in the round of sixteen.
Speaker 2: What do you think happened out there? We were getting bullied. That was a rough output.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, Brew and I we didn't really argue. We don't really argue that much, but disagreed about what happened in this game. On the TV show this morning, Brew was pretty adamant that Belgium was just that much better than the United States and that's what happened. I disagree with that. I do think pretty clearly Belgium was better, that's obvious, and that I had maybe overrated in my I had the level at which the US men's national team was playing, and I may be underrated Belgium, but Belgium hadn't played very well in this tournament. Belgium had to draw against Egypt. Belgium had to draw against Iran. Belgium played awful for eighty plus minutes of a knockout round game against Senegal, and then got one late goal due to Lakaku being awesome, another late goal due to a disastrous play by the Senegalese goalkeeper, and then they stole it seconds before it went to penalties in extra time. The one game all tournament Belgium had looked dominant was against New Zealand, and it was just an older Belgium team eight years removed from its golden generation, being in their primes, and it seemed there was a reason the United States was slim but favorites in the game, and so I don't think it was as clear cut simply as well that you know, we played finally played a top ten team in the world, and we got what was coming to us. Because that's not to me what happened in yesterday's game. What happened in Monday night's game was the moment was too big for our guys and our back line, which has been this whole tournament the shakiest part of the team. We went into the tournament the first team in World Cup history to have our starting goalkeeper be a goalkeeper from MLS. Our defenders are, you know, either older players or some of our less frontline guys, you know, compared to some of our attackers in our midfield, and they got exposed and they seemed shook from the opening kick a minute into the game. Belgium could have scored eight minutes into the game. When they did score, it was simply because it was the soccer version of a group of infielders letting a foul ball drop. Nobody wanted to head the ball out of play, and then what was so devastating was they had an opportunity to steady themselves when one of the absolute revelations of the tournament, Malik Tillman, hits another awesome free kick twice in two games, the very end of the Bosnia game and midway through the first half of the Round of sixteen game. We had a moment that reminds you of the best clubs are the best countries in the world. Where you have a three kick specialist take a direct kick at the top of the box and doesn't need someone to put a head on the back end of it, doesn't need some fancy action. Nope, right over the wall into a spot the keeper can't get it. I know this one took a deflection, but it was just so awesome and in that moment, the US could have taken a deep breath said Okay, we're here, the crowds into it, we see the level Belgium's gonna play at. We are up to it, we're prepared for it, and now we just have to be the better side for sixty minutes of soccer. And instead, within one minute we allowed them to take the lead again. We trailed in this game for eighty of the ninety minutes. The only moments we didn't trail were minutes zero to nine and I guess thirty one to two. That's it. We trailed for multiple goals for the final thirty minutes of the game thanks to a yackety Sacks style cartoonish mistake by our goalkeeper. And we never once seemed to threaten Belgium the way we had been threatening teams all tournament. And listen, I understand Belgium was a step up in class, a big step up in class, but that is not the full story of what happened yesterday. We got shook by what was in front of us, and by what was in front of us, I don't just mean the opposition, I mean the opportunity. And that's the really really disappointing part. The really really disappointing part is for months leading up to this I discussed how this tournament, the the pivot point of this tournament was going to be whether or not we could break through the glass ceiling of the Round of sixteen. And we're gonna get more deep into that later in the show like about whether or not this was a success or a failure, But it feels like everyone on the team also felt like that was the pivot point, and they crumbled under that pressure, and it denied that unbelievable Seattle crowd an opportunity to really get into the game, which is as disappointing a part of it as anything else. The fact that that crowd was dying to be a twelfth man like Stadio aas Teca was for the Mexican side, even in defeat on Sunday night, and the crowd got nervous a minute into the game because Belgium almost scored. The crowd was then extra nervous when the US was trailing for the first thirty minutes of the game essentially, and then for one minute after the Tillman goal, they were there, and then Belgium went right back and took it. And Demonsey, You're just not going to have another opportunity like this the next time the Earth. Like this is gonna sound funny, but it's true. The next time, the earliest possible chance the US is gonna have for another home World Cup, you will be my age. Yeah, so and so like no, they definitely won't be there. I mean, the World Cup in four years is in Spain, Portugal, Morocco. Now I will say FIFA is doing something a little tricky because they're supposed to kind of rotate continents, right, So next year's World Cup, instead of just being in Spain or being in Spain and Portugal, it's Spain, Portugal and Morocco the way this one was the US, Canada and Mexico. Okay, so that checks off Europe and Africa because Morocco's in Africa. But then they are also doing one hundred anniversary one off matches I believe in Uruguay, Brazil, and Argentina one match in each country. Well, that checks off South America the next World So so just the next World Cup gives you Europe, Africa, and South America as done. They did it, yep. The next World Cup is already on the books in Saudi Arabia, so that checks off Asia. So in theory they could as early as twenty thirty eight give another one to the United States. And the United States has done a brilliant job hosting the Games, and we do have the best stadiums in the world, so maybe we'll get it again sooner than we probably should, but that's still twelve years out. And so all these you know what I mean, almost all these guys, Yeah, we'll be gone. All right, let's do some follow ups here before we get to the other stuff.
Speaker 3: So after the Games, Latin said that that was a reality check for the for Team USA. So what do you think that our reality is?
Speaker 1: Our reality right now is that the quarterfinals is our absolute ceiling and the round of sixteen is playing to our seed. Our reality check right now is there is you We are nowhere close to being a firmly entrenched top ten nations right like we are the We are closer to the teams that are ranked in the twenties like Iran, Norway, Senegal, Uruguay, Austria, Egypt, then the teams that are ranked in the low teens, like well in Mexico, I think we're right in line with. But in Mexico right now is technically ten, but they've moved up quite a bit during this tournament. Colombia, Germany, Croatia, Italy which plays great except for when it comes to making the World Cup. And we do feel like we are leaps and bounds away from teams firmly in the top ten like Spain and England. And even though they didn't have a good showing of this World Cup, and they haven't had a great showing in the World Cup in years, Brazil, Brazil's been disappointed by Brazil standards prior to this year. They make the quarters every single year of the World Cup. That's been you know, our dream is to make the quarters repeatedly. So I do think that is uh, that is the reality of it. But that doesn't mean we couldn't have won Monday Night. Belgium again has not been They have been far from unbeatable in the tournament. They are past what was you know, they're an aging team that has passed their version of the Golden Generation. And so I think it's laton, you know, Bruce said on the TV show we all got drunk on sports patriotism, yes and no. Like I understand that the Vegas odds are tilted, you know, colored a bit by the fact that so many Americans wanted to bet on the US, but the international sportsbooks also had this game as a coin flip slightly leaning to the United States. It was not blind. It might have been drunken you know, patriotic optimism that was fueling the thirty to one US to win the tournament.
Speaker 2: Bets.
Speaker 1: It was not drunken US optimism that installed the US as slight, but favorites yesterday. And here's the other piece of it, like there have not been many once we have gotten to the knockout rounds, there just haven't been many walkovers. Like I'm just gonna go backwards through the games. Today's Egypt Argentina game a freaking classic that our Egypt was as Argentina in the rankings is two, Egypt in the rankings is twenty four, so you know we are sixteen Norway or Belgium, pardon me, is eight, so we are far closer to Belgium than Egypt is to Argentina. Egypt was up to nothing in that game at the seventy eight minute mark and that game ended up being a classic. Sunday Night Brazil Norway. It's zero Sunday afternoon. Norway is again about as far in the rankings from Brazil as the US is from Belgium. Norway one. Mexico England was a classic that England won three to two. France played Paraguay. That game was won nothing on a France penalty kick. Now again, Paraguay played a particular style to make that happen, but it was close. Morocco played Canada. Yes, that ended three to nothing, but that game was zero zero at halftime and one nothing in the seventy eighth minute. Again, Argentina Cape Verde three to two in extra time. Colombia Gana was a one nothing game. Australia Egypt went to penalty kicks. The last actual walkover and maybe the only walkover of the knockout round was Spain and night elating Austria. And again, Spain went into this tournament the number one team in the world and Austria is outside of the top twenty. There just haven't been these dominating, embarrassing blowouts in the knockout round. And England against Dr Congo was a game England had to pull out of the fire. Belgium against Senegal was a game Belgium had to pull out of the fire. Shoot Bosnia Ertzkovina was us. What we did to them was one of the bigger blowouts. Yes, France killed Sweden, Spain killed Austria, but those are the two best teams in the tournament. Probably just so disappointing. All right, let's go to the poch, this one about the coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Pochatino has been a little bit of a rejuvenation for the squad.
Speaker 2: He's also up for a new contract. Do you believe that he's the guy for the job?
Speaker 1: Listen, we had Darren Fletcher, uh, who's right now actually calling the game that's on right now is Switzerland, Columbia and Vancouver. We had him on and he was adamant that the US should do everything they can to keep Poachatino. And I agree. I understand that ultimately this tournament was not a rousing success, and we'll get more into that layer. But I really like the guy. I think he has the right mentality and I think it You want to see what a full cycle because they hired him late, what him being able to put his hands on this team for a full cycle would really mean. I think they're paying him six million bucks a year. And like the soccer jobs, demons are crazy and the coaching no, that's what I mean, the the turnover in them as far as if you coach a Premier league team like you can coach for two years and be five like they just there is not a lot of job security, is what I'm trying to say. Yeah, So for him the ability to play or to coach and know he's gonna have this job through the next World Cup, I think I would think would be really attractive to him. So I really hope that we're able to hold on to him. All right. Before we get to flow ball again, let me remind you guys. Today's show is brought to you by our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet, Florida's sportsbook. The world's biggest soccer tournament is here. Everyone's watching, National pride is on the line, superstars are chasing immortality, and for the next month, every match feels like a final. If you haven't tried hard Rock Bet yet, there's no better time to get in the game. Hard Rock Bet is a top rated sportsbook app built to viva la copa. Whether you're backing your country, betting on your favorite superstar, or building the same game parlay for the biggest matches of the tournament, hard Rock Bet is your way to get in on the action. And if you're ever late to kick off, don't worry. Hard Rock Bet lets you live bet all match long, from the first minute to the final whistle. Plus, hard Rock Bet has new promos daily. We're talking profit boosts, no sweat bets, bonus bets and more, and be sure to check out no Goals, No Problem and Super Sub two promos designed to give your bets insurance all tournament long. Sign up with hard Rock Bet today and place a five dollar bet. If it wins, you also score one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets winning bet, plus an extra one hundred fifty dollars to bet with. Now that's how you get this summers party started. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan. Download the hard Rock Bet app today and roll with us, Goal with Us. Hard Rock Bet offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC and all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically president in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. Play terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight three to three play wise.
Speaker 4: In Indiana. If you are somebody you know as a gambling problem wants help, call what eight hundred and nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio, Virginia, call one eight hundred. My reset gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: All right, Demante, let's talk flow Balligan.
Speaker 3: So do you think all the controversies controversies surrounding Balagin in the Red Car was worth it? And do you think that this was more of a hindrance for the USA or motivation for Belgium?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think I don't think it will. I certainly it ended up being motivation for Belgium. There's no denying that, Okay, But the idea I don't. I simply do not buy that if only the US didn't have its most effective offensive player out there, yesterday would have been better. Like everyone's I and this idea that well, we had all these vibes working for us, and then it all shifted. I anyone that listens to this show or watches me has a very good idea or an exact idea of what I think about our current president. Okay, not a fan, I think it's fair to say, and it is an easy like, well, you know, the Knicks couldn't lose, showed up to a game, they lost. The US men's national teams on this great run. He steps in, then they lose. Here's the thing about that line of reasoning about that the president stepping in threw off the vibes. It ignores the fact that a lot of guys on our men's national soccer team love the guy that a lot of the fans who are part I would imagine part of the vibes, love the guy like this, it is a very kind of siloed mindset of well, I, you know, theoretical soccer fan don't like the president. Therefore I didn't like the fact that he got involved with the team, and that hurt the vibes. While not acknowledging that for folks out there that love him and maybe they before didn't care as much about the team, they're like, oh now now Trump's invested in it, I'm invested in it too. So I'm gonna say those vibes canceled each other out. Okay, So the only question is this was Belgium. Whatever added motivation they got from feeling like we're getting screwed here, was that offset by the fact by the added benefit the US got from having one of, if not its very best player on the pitch. And I'm gonna say we came out ahead in that one if we were if anybody related to US soccer thought we'd like to have our best player. But what about those vibes, what about the bulletin board material. They could have simply released a statement out of respect. They could have on the demons the kid in the old fair Play commercial. Sorry, they could have just announced Flow is not playing. Don't you worry your pretty little hearts, Flow is not gonna play now. Also demant, I will say, go ahead you.
Speaker 3: These guys are soccer players, Like they also realized that Baligan got screwed over, right, Like, I feel like it shouldn't motivate them, and the fact that that was the wrong call. He shouldn't be suspended.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, that's just.
Speaker 1: That's that's kind of how I I mean, I think that's a good point. I don't think anybody watched the ballot play and was like any of the other people in the World Cup. It was like, oh my god, he better be banned for multi games. Like and the fact that I think Flow handled it really well, shook the ref's hands, didn't lose his mind to all that. I just and nobody is thinking about the the other the road not travel, which is it's totally in play that if ballot is suspended, Belgium starts off just as hot. And in that scenario, instead of being down one goal and then two goal most goals most of the game, maybe we just lose that thing five to nothing. Maybe it's a tournament we have led early every single game, Belgium has the same start because Belgium didn't get that start because our attackers made mistakes. Belgium got the start because our defense lost its head. And Belgium scores eight minutes in just like they did and utter in total. Panic sets in like, oh my god, we haven't been trailing at all and we're doing it now without our guy, what are we gonna do? And they lose even worse. So No, I do not think that the red card being overturned or the suspension being suspended, whatever hurt the United States. I think that is what the kids would call cope rather than dealing with the fact that we just got beat Man, and we got beat in part because we got tight. We every the entire commentary leading up to it is it's the biggest game in all of their lives. Every single person on the US men's national team, it's the biggest game they've ever played. And guess what they fucking look like it like, not everybody is you know, built for biggest game of my life. Watch me cook. Like a lot of people and I understand these aren't usually you know, pro athletes, but a lot of people are in the office just going Kobe into the waste paper basket and then somebody's like, hey, ten bucks, you can't do that again, and all of a sudden, they're in the cubicle over Like the pressure is a real thing. And the amount of pressure because of how much the country was invested, because everybody they were starting to you know, dream a big dream and believe and all of it. It really seemed to me that it got to them. And I'm not saying they would have yes, And I want to be clear, I'm not saying they would have won the game absent of that. I'm not saying like that that if it were a friendly with no pressure at all, they would have won. I am saying they would have put on a better, a more quality showing. And and and Belgium on the other hand, Listen, Belgium made the semifinals two World Cups ago, but it's just really Lacacu and de Briyana and to Briano didn't even play that were a part of that squad. That's part of this squad. Last year's Belgium team got grouped and it was a catastrophe. This year it looked like it was going to be equally as embarrassing as getting grouped, where you barely find a way to win your to come out of your group the way they did with the win over New Zealand, and then they're gonna lose the round of thirty two game to Senegal. Them coming they were down to nothing demons against Senegal in the eighty second minute. They they scored I think in the eighty fourth and eighty eighth minute, and then one minute before we go to penalty kicks, they scored again. I do wonder if that was a little pressure release from for them, like oh all right, we avoided catastrophe. We got out of the group. We won a game in the expanded tournament where actually the underdogs. Everyone kind of thinks, now this is where the alegant stuff applies for them, that we're kind of getting screwed here. We can play free and easy. And they they did, and and so they did. Now the other sad part is go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, I was just gonna Do you think the story goes away now that we're eliminated or do.
Speaker 2: You think this is the type of thing that sticks with us?
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I think no. I think the story mostly goes away. I think Trump will bring it up as best as he can. But they've got bigger there's bigger stuff going on. Uh, they've got phone calls right now, evidently with Mitch McConnell, which I didn't know was possible, but I read about that right before we got on the air. But this is the this is the bigger story. The final question here, demanse the bigger things about me. If we're being honest here.
Speaker 3: Does your win is the sports media on Budsman feel feel hollow after how this game went?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, little, I mean I you gotta ask theman, say your mom and your sister. We were on our way. It was such a turn of mood for me over the from Sunday morning until last night. Sunday morning, here's our after Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm resigned to the fact that I am going to spend an obscene amount of money on four tickets to Brazil Norway, Okay, Like I'm just gonna take the whole family. And then all of a sudden there's rain in the forecast. And then all of a sudden, Diora is talking about maybe wanting to go to a Yankee game, and Deanna is talking about how it's three weeks man, and I and I and I and I'm looking and I'm like, these tickets are I mean, I don't I normally wouldn't say, but it's all public, Like it's upper deck was two thousand dollars a ticket, So I'm like, I'm gonna buy four bad seats. I don't even know that they really want to go, Like what, like what am I doing? And then all of a sudden, people start opening the door, and I'm like, wait, does everybody think is everybody only going because they think I want them to go? So then I pulled. I pull your mom aside and I'm like, hey, what if I go by myself? And she's like that would be great. I'm like really, I'm like fantastic. So now I've already anchored and how much this is going to cost? And now it's flipped and I'm like.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Instead of instead of looking for four bad seats, demanse, I'm looking for one awesome seat and I ended up sitting. I'll send you the pictures. I was dead middle, lower level, second to last row, so row twenty nine, dead middle. And when I say dead middle, the luxury box behind me is you know when you watch these games and you see the row of all the guys wearing the exact same blue blazers that say FIFA on them. All those guys are right behind me. I'm sitting right in front of the FIFA box, and with the FIFA guys are all the Brazilian legends. I am two rows in front of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, CAFU, like some of the just so all these guys, they're all right there. I took pictures of all these guys. I was such a fan in this I'm not even taking pictures of these guys. But regardless. So but I'm not in the story. I'm not at the game yet. So I'm now I'm like, all right, so I'm saving fifty five hundred bucks. I'm not buying four tickets. I'm just buying one awesome ticket. Brazil's gonna win, so we're going. I was like, we gotta go down one hundred and twenty fifth Street in Harlem. I know one of these, like African stands is selling World Cup merch and I want an absurd Brazil hat, which I bought, and it is the picture that I took. So I get that Brazil hat. We go to breakfast or brunch before I leave for pinstation. On the way there, I get the text from either Matt Ford or Daniel or whomever saying, ballots suspension's been overturned.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And in that moment, I'm like, I said to your mom and your sister, I was like, you guys don't get it. It's like in the entirety of sports media, I was the only person with the take of I don't care what the rules say. I think we can get this overturned just leaning on the history of like, oh, I don't know, like check just check the last one hundred years of FIFA in the World Cup and who gets the tournament and what happened with you know, Italy back in the thirties and forties, and like, I like, it feels like week and exactly what I said should happen is what happened. And I was like, I get to be the only person, the only person that had this take and it happened. Yeah, And now everybody's like, actually, Nick, that was bad. Actually maybe you cost us the game. It's just devastating. And by the way, Brazila lost and by the way, that game cost me way more than the tickets. Just a real, just cascading event of disaster. But we move on, we move on. We're okay, unlike Captain America. So let's and I didn't know. Colin told me that the internet got mad at me for these takes. I truly did not know this. Let's talk Christian polistic h.
Speaker 3: So you took to you took to Twitter after the game to greet arrow some grievances towards a guy, Christian Polissik, who was hurt throughout the tournament. What frustrated you the most with your boy, Christian.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is not a hot take. This is not being unfair. I said after the first game, when they were talking about him missing a World Cup game because he got kicked in the calf, that I was not comfortable with it. And everybody tried to Kevin Durant shame me. That's what every everybody was trying to indirectly be like, oh, yeah, well, all right, if he goes out there and plays and pops his achilles, blood's on your hand. When I knew, I knew this was not a Kevin Durant style, and I shouldn't say I knew. I had a feeling then I have a feeling now that if he reaggravated what was this is what we knew. Okay, I'm gonna back up even further. All right, here's my frustration. Christian Polisic, who in the last World Cup scored a goal in a must win game against Iran. In the first half on the goal got banged into I think by the keeper, played the rest of the first half limping around out there, and then at halftime can't play anymore, I'm out, and the team listened. To his credit, he scored the game winning goal to the team's credit. They held on without it, but then we got bounced in the next round, and he was still like, you know, ailing the next few years. We are ramping up to this home World Cup, Gold Cup important for the US international not just warm up. You get to a trophy. It's not a great trophy. You get a trophy. Nope, I'm not playing, says Christian Polisic. How did Landon Donovan, the former greatest American player ever feel about that? How does Clint Dempsey feel about it? Hates it? How does his coach feel about it? Poo Chattino hates it? Doesn't matter. I've had this grueling AC Milan schedule. I played in the Premier League and because I'm on AC Milan, we were in Champions League. I played fifty games. I played thirty five hundred minutes. Okay, that puts you roughly, I don't know, two hundredth in international soccer in minutes, more than most, but a lot like all the Imbape and Holland and all the best players in the world are playing a shit ton of games. But you need to rest, no problem, get your rest. The rest was so I'm peaking in twenty twenty six, getting ready for the World Cup. Funny thing happened about peaking in twenty twenty six. He stopped scoring entirely. He went from January one until a week before the tournament started for club or country zero goals. Finally got one against Senegal, broke the drought. No problem, rearing, ready to go, comes into the first game of the home World Cup, gets kicked in the calf. We're up three to nothing. They sit him out the second half. All right, no problem, we're up three to nothing. He played an awesome first half. Be careful about it. After the game, all of his teammates they're laughing at the idea that he's actually gonna miss time. They are dismissing it out of hand. And then first day of training, second day of training, third day of training is off to the side. We didn't find out. Oh, he got kicked in the calf in practice, and they got kicked in the calf again again, calf strain where you're worried about the Achilles not typically how you you get that from being kicked in the calf. But we gotta be careful, so careful. And what was up to that point the biggest game of his career an opportunity to pretend actually clinched the group. He can't even give it a go, and even though all his teammates thought initially it was nothing, he's now missing the second game of the World Cup. Well, I don't love that, but they won, so it's fine, all right. Game three against Turkey a actually a kind of meaningless game because Turkey a lost. We've clinched the group. I would like to get you back up to form, He's asked. Going into that game. He's like, well, obviously, you know I'm not going to be able to play the full ninety after missing a game. Well that that's not really a thing. Guys in international football get rotated out all the time and then the next game play the full ninety. But it's a meaningless game, no problem, We'll deal with it. Play thirty minutes against Turkey A look kind of good for parts of it. Okay, now we're onto the knockout round. Knockout round against boz a game that if we lose, an utter catastrophe and Christian polistics not one of our seven best guys on the field and one of our guys gets a red card. And despite that, when we are figuring out how we're gonna hold on with just ten men and we have limited subs. One of the guys that has to come out of the game is Polisic because he still can't go the full ninety. Again, we won the game anyway. It not ideal, but so what he's back, He's in full form and now we have our moment, biggest game of this guy's career for the US the moment. He is the only guy on our team that can look eye to eye with Dobryna Dokulakaku and say I play in the same leagues as you. I played for Chelsea, I play it for AC Milan, I played in Champions League. We have other guys that played in the same leagues, but he is looked at as you know, you know, star ish, and he's arguably our single worst attacking player in the first half of that game. It's not just that he's not good, it's that here's a fun stat. In the first forty five minutes of the game. In the first half, he lost possession eleven times, the most of anyone on either team. So not great, but luckily we're only down a goal. It's now the second half. Steal a goal get to extra time, become a legend. And seven minutes and eight minutes into the half, he tries to shoot and he kicks a guy and by his own words, he twisted his ankle or sprained his ankle, his words, and because of that, he limps around on the field for four minutes. The other team scores, and then he asks out, And then after the game he says how disappointed he is, but at least now he has a lot of time to rest. He had no shit, man, for you, you got four years to rest.
Speaker 5: Bro, Come on, come on, bro, come on.
Speaker 1: This is not the guy. You're not the guy. You might be the most talented, but you're not the guy. And I'm not gonna patronize soccer fans or his teammates or the sport by treating this any differently than we would treat it. If I don't even know what the context is. Here's the thing about Ad. Ad gets killed for being injury prone, gets killed for it. Ad also like eighty stuff. You know, he had the injury where it's like, oh, nothing happened, and it's like, oh no, he broke his thumb. Yeah, it looked like nothing, But then it turned out he broke like something. If it comes out tomorrow Polistic's got a broken ankle, then take it. But from what I know what it appears, I know, and again people are gonna get mad about this. But this is one of those takes that I know people are gonna get mad about. But I also know two things about it. One, a lot of the people who are mad are pretending to be mad because they agree with me. And the other one is I'm right. If it turns out Polistic broke a bone in his ankle, then I'm gonna have a lot of egg on my face. But the reason I'm pretty confident Christian Ballistic didn't break a bone in his ankle is because from what I know about how he deals with Payne suffered on the bitch. Had he broke a bone in his ankle. We just saw the little gurney guys he'd we'd just seen the wed, just seen him carried off. Yes, so I just I don't. The US men's national team played four hundred and fifty minutes in this tournament. He played two hundred and forty four of them. According to I think it's pronounced foot mob, but f otmob dot com, which is like the Basketball Reference for Soccer. In this tournament, he was our eighth best guy. To catastrophe. It's a total catastrophe, and I'm not going to pretend it's not. And the nonchalance of I now get time to rest, Bro, you skip the Gold Cup to rest the next World Cups in four years in Europe, like you'll be thirty one. So I do wonder if his feeling is I work for ac Milan. I do this for you guys out of the kindness of my heart, like I don't. My job is to be awesome for the team that pays me, not for the US men's national team, and that is what it is. I also think it is fair, and this is the like point I was trying to make. Many guys on the team yesterday would have had to be taken out with the injury Polistic had to be taken out with how many guys on the team would have missed a game and missed half of Game one and the entirety of game two with what happened to him in the Paraguay game. You finish this World Cup with one assists, no goals, a couple shots, a few nice passes. So it's to be the greatest player in the history of the country. Like what are we talking about? People mad at me? Like oh, and also I just want to say this. We don't need to clip this, but I want to be on the record about this. And one of those clipper folks out there that gets all this, you know, Elon Bucks from clipping stuff from our pod doesn't even tag us in it. It's as I scroll through Twitter, I see my face given my takes and then some clutch seasons, you know whatever. Twenty eight is like, you know, getting all the views. Clip this please, I'm gonna need folks to stop acting like I don't watch a shit ton of soccer outside of the World Cup. It kind of irritates me. I don't pretend you guys ever see me get passionate month long hockey takes No, you know why, because I don't watch. It's gonna take a huge seed change if you all of a sudden hear me arguing, staring across the table and be like, here's why Ovechkins in the Gretzky combo. No, I'm full of shit, or I had a career change. Okay, I don't really get super I don't spend a ton of time doing American professional baseball stuff outside of the playoffs. You know why, because I'm not super dialed. I don't pretend to be dialed into stuff I'm not dialed into. I happen to really like international soccer. Now, I'm as I am, I as locked in as I am to the NBA or the NFL. No, But do I, I don't know, follow it more than probably ninety six percent of the country. Yes, am I equipped to have these conversations, of course, like they're a little a little too much of the nose in the air soccer elitist is talking about what I can or can't give a take on, like pump your brakes, folks. Uh. But here's the other thing. You don't have to be super dialed in international soccer to know Polistic wasn't good enough and appears to be, to put it, kind of fragile. And I I, I don't know, I don't know what more to say about it.
Speaker 3: The America somewhere as Polician No, and.
Speaker 1: Our two best players in this tournament didn't grow up here, which is probably a problem. Tillman grew up in Germany. Ballot Ballot grew up in England. I think that's probably not ideal. And I just now again, like Clinton, Dempsey and Landon grew up in the States and they were awesome. But I just I this is there's no Christian Ballistic maybe can turn his international career around, because that's the other thing. Christian Ballistics international career has not really gone as well as I think his biggest supporters thought it would. Like as a kid, he's, you know, star adjacent in for Dortmund. Chelsea gives him a nice contract for a nineteen year old American and he and he wasn't quite good enough. He then goes to Milan and he's really really good with Milan, really good. But and again Milan's a big club, don't get me wrong, and Syria A is obviously you can make the argument it's the second best league in the world, maybe third. I know some people might even argue, whatever, it's not the EPL, but LAL, Bundesliga, Seria A. You know, pick your flavor. And Milan's one of the very best clubs. And he won a Champions League. Like I'm not trying to act as if he's he didn't. He hasn't played well with Milan, but This past year with Milan was his worst year, and now he's coming off a disastrous World Cup. He can still become a really good European professional footballer. As they would say, I don't think he can be an American soccer legend anymore. Gonna take a hell of a World Cup in twenty thirty one or twenty thirty one when he's thirty one in twenty thirty All right, demonse, let's talk success or failure. But first, actually, before we do that, Oh my goodness, gracious, this is pretty exciting because this is once again product that we use all the time. Support for today's episode comes from Square, the system powering not only about half the places I go, but the store that I am a silent owner of and the world's most underpaid executive assistant for Trintage, my wife's stores powered by Square. We got a whole Square system. That's the p aus Tale system in Trintage where we used to do this show. That's powered by Square. So if you've ever tapped to pay and thought, WHOA, how's fast? That was probably Square. Or if you again, if you ever shopped in my right store Trintage, that's Square, whether you're selling lattes, cutting hair, running a pack game day spot, managing a design studio, or running a women's boutique in Harlem. Again, this is like kind of a dual ad because my wife uses Square. Square helps you run your business without running yourself into the ground. Right now, listeners can get up to two hundred dollars off Square hardware when you sign up at Square dot COM's go slash right, that's Square. They want me to tell you, guys, how to spell Square. I gotta tell you right now if you need to know how to spell Square. I don't know if you're already to own a business, but I'm gonna tell you anyway. That's squa r E dot com. You got that spell Square? Don't just like draw a square. They actually gotta spell the word out dot com slash go slash right, that's right with a W. Now that one's a little tricky slash you know wr I g HD Visit Square to get started because the right tools make all the difference. There's something about business businesses that you Square. They feel a little more put together. Again, this is so kind. The quality checkout, it's easy receipts. Sometimes you can get loyalty points that you love that Squares the platform behind the scenes of so busy businesses you already love, and gives them one connected system. Take payments, manage inventory, run payrollson and voices, track it all from one place. And by the way, guys, I do all of this on Square because again, I'm the behind the scenes of my wife's store, so I use Square all the time. Square isn't just fast, it's smart. It's transparent, built for the way people actually run their business. This is all really true. No contracts, no hidden fees, no complicated installs. Tools that accept every major payment method, Tap Chip, Apple, paying online, let you see sales and inventory in real time across every channel. Help you access your earnings and immediately immediately with Square banking. That's all true. Want some real proof. Businesses using Square online earn thirty six percent more revenue on average. You're starting a business or running one that deserves better tools. Square helps you sell, manage, and grow without slowing down. Right now, you can get up two hundred dollars off Square hardware at Square dot com slash right again, God know how to spell Square. This all falls apart. That's Square dot com, slash go, slash right, run your business smarter, Square get started today. Well I'm fired up about that, Paul, all of Faul Daniel, our salespeople, make sure you reclip that and send that to the folks at Square. That might have been the best Daddy read I ever. That was really good. I also got in my head a little bit when I was trying to make fun of people who couldn't smell Square that I was worried I might misspell it. I was like, well, I'm trying to sound this out and spell it for him. I was like, I might screw that up. All right, let's do failure.
Speaker 3: So you talked all tournament about how making the quarterfinals will be a huge success for the US. We fell short of that mark again, So how would you rate our output of the tournament?
Speaker 1: Wholly and entirely unfulfilling. It is in that I that was that was gonna be I all right, I can only it's too good of a joke not to make it. But you have to know how much I love you and how proud of you I am every single day. And now it's been now it's been ten years, it's been ten years. But it's right in it's right in that mediarrea where it is not success or failure. It is so much of like your high school classes, like you didn't fail. I'm not gonna say you succeeded, but we can't. It's objectively wrong to call it a failure. But I'm also not gonna be like writing home about it, like we're not putting a lot of stuff on the fridge commemorating it. But there's no failure there. I mean, that's what it was. Anything short of getting to the yes, absolutely no, you're right, you didn't. You didn't fold like they did it the final moment. That part's definitely true. Sorry, I was just sitting right there. Yeah, not getting to the round of sixteen would have been of utter failure. Not getting out of the group. You would have to consider just outlawing, like just getting rid of the team, just being like, you know what, in America, soccer stops at the club level, like we're not fielding a team. Losing to Bosnia in the round of thirty two, as Tierrian's laton reminded us a lot of yesterday that round didn't used to exist, would have been mortifying, and winning yesterday would have made this the greatest team in American history. It's a very it's very like so, and losing in a different fashion would have made it a stomach punch, but still, wow, really good run. Instead, we lost worse than we've lost in the knockout round since the thirties. Guys. Because here's the thing about the US World Cup history. First ever World Cup and invitational in nineteen thirty We win our first two games, oddly enough, one of them against Belgium, and then we're one of four teams to make the knockout round. Argentina clocks US six to one. Nineteen thirty four World Cup in Italy we play again. You ask you want to ask FIFA about how Italy got the World Cup in nineteenth In the nineteen thirties, don't we play Italy. In the first game, we get clocked by Mussolini's guys seven to one. All right, not great. We then don't make a knockout round until the nineties. And here's how we do ninety four. Play the team that ends up winning the tournament, Brazil. We lose one nothing, no shame. In that two thousand and two our one knockout round victory. We play Mexico, a team we had just beaten a year prior, a team we're familiar with. We win. We then play Germany, the team that goes on to come in second in that tournament. We lose one nothing. Twenty ten we play Gone, a team kind of on our level. It's one, it goes into extra time. We lose two to one. Twenty fourteen, we play Belgium, it goes into extra time, we lose two to one. Last World Cup, we play Netherlands. We lose three to one. It's not ideal, but it's you know, it's two to one in the eightieth minute, with a chance to steal it. Netherlands scores, they beat us. It's a respectable performance. This one we just got clocked and it's just another hard ceiling of this round where we can't even be a game away from being a game away, and it's it's a reminder of how far we have to go. And so I don't this tournament was not a failure, and the tournament for soccer in America has been a rousing success, Like I think there are I do think this how great these games have been has created more soccer fans. I do think there will be more people that either check out their local MLS team or start on you know, early Saturday Sunday mornings watching European soccer. I do think that's going to happen, and I do think in calling a company guy if you want, I think Fox has absolutely killed the execution of this tournament and made all these games feel so big and so important. But the US men's national team did not succeed. The objective was always make the quarters, see what happens, and as a fan, I'm bummed that we just don't get the five day lead up to holy shit, US Spain with a chance to go to the Semis La min Ya malt that team that by some people's eyes is the number one team in the world, the pre tournament favorites to win the thing. Let's go see what happens. We don't get it, and it wasn't because we ran into a juggernaut. And that's the other piece of it that makes this so tough to stomach.
Speaker 2: If Belgium, you know what, if Belgium, men's.
Speaker 1: Listen, you're right. If Belgium beats Spain and it's that Belgium's peaking, maybe we feel a little bit better. But man, oh man, we got fortunate with our draw. First of all, demon's the way it works. The top twelve teams in the world all gets separated into different groups. There's twelve groups. The top twelve all get their own group, except if you're a host nation, then you get one of those groups. So this year, Canada, Mexico and the US, which were not top twelve teams, you had to be a top nine team to get your own group. Because Canada, Mexico and the US were ten, eleven, twelve. We're not gonna get that next time around, so we're gonna have a harder group stage. Of all the teams that made the round of thirty two, our first round opponent, Bosnia was the third worst as far as world rankings, so we had an awesome draw there. Of the sixteen teams that made the round of sixteen, Belgium was exactly middle of the pack, so we had an average draw there. So it's just and we're at home. So the you know, it's entirely possible that Poachtino coaches this team up, you know, gets us all the way up before next World Cup to twelve thirteen in the world and we get a tough group draw. We're in the group of death, we end up surviving the group, coming in second or third, and we play our round one game is against a retooled Germany team and we're just out. We're better, and we're out. Not gonna have this path again, and we're not gonna be back home. And that's why you can't call this a success. I do have one path though, forward for us. Before we do that, though, let me remind you guys. Boost Mobile is proving you don't have to overpay for great wireless. Unlock the savings with the twenty five dollars a month forever unlimited plan to permanent price with no price hikes. No, I'm sorry, permanent price with no contracts and no price hikes. You can keep your phone and your number, but you save up to six hundred dollars a year compared to the major carrier. Stop overpaying and switch to a fair price at boostmobile dot com today based on average annual single line payment of AT and T Verizon and T Mobile customers compared to twelve months on the boost Mobile Unlimited plan as of January twenty twenty six. For full offer details, visit boost mobile dot com. All right, demonse, let's talk a little bit about Uh, soccer move in this country moving forward?
Speaker 2: Oh going there?
Speaker 3: So yeah, with the with the combination of us hosting the tournament and having a fun run, there's been a lot more eyes on soccer. Do you think that it will be it'll hold in our country and we'll be interested in it moving forward?
Speaker 1: So I yeah, I mean I do think this helps a lot because this tournament's been so great. I also think that Messi and Argentina pulling it out of the fire today, you know, helps the more the longer Messi's in this tournament, He's just, you know, the biggest star in the world. I think that helps a ton. What I actually ask me the follow up here because I have an idea here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, while the outcome in the World Cup was disappointing, the combo of an exciting run host Uh, there's no free agency.
Speaker 1: In world the free agency thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's no free agency in World Cup soccer.
Speaker 2: How do we get better?
Speaker 1: So here's the deal. We are no time soon going to all of a sudden become an academy like France or Spain where we just have like just twenty awesome guys. I don't think that's the path. I think that we don't try to follow that model. I think we try to follow the model of how has you know, how did Egypt almost beat Argentina today? Why did Norway beat Brazil? Why did Croatia make back to back semifinals? Why did Morocco make the semifinal last year? And this year we'll see how if they can upset France on Thursday in a game, albeit a super duper star leading the way. Egypt's got most Sala, Norway's got Holland Croatia had Luka Modric and uh, who's the other team I mentioned? Oh, Morocco's got a Kimi. I I think it is possible that we can develop one of the best players in the world and see how far we can ride that guy and listen nobody the I do think that one of the there are a lot of things I would do. One of the things I would do if I were running American soccer is and I know this is kind of a cliche idea to a degree, but I don't think it's a bad one. I would have guys in different parts of the country whose job it is to follow because rivals or whatever rivals is turned into or whatever still does like, you know, the best seventh and eighth graders in football, Like they have those lists. And I would go talk to the best running backs, the best twelve year old running backs or even younger in the country and their parents and be like, hey, just so you know, you believe your kid can make the NFL, just you know, just throwing it out there. Here's for an all pro running back career earnings. And here is the career earnings for the one hundredth best soccer player in the world. Just food for thought.
Speaker 2: Just twelve.
Speaker 1: The shout.
Speaker 2: The who's that old twelve year old running back? His dog? He never made it in the NFL though.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: Okay, but uh is that serious? I don't know what.
Speaker 3: I swear to God, I used to watch I used to watch all the YouTube videos.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, but uh maybe that is maybe that is uh a little old. Okay, Sure. My point is this, I do think I I and I get it. It's like, oh, guys, you know, MESSI is not some I'm not saying you need the biggest, strongest. I do think there is something you know. Im Bape is a sick athlete. Holland is a sick athlete, and so many of our best athletes. It's like, hey, how are you And they're like, oh, yeah, I you know, I hit five point fifty in baseball. I was you know, I averaged twenty eight and twelve in basketball, and now I'm a defensive end. You know, Like it's they are just naturally gifted, awesome athletes. I do think it would help us greatly if we had a few lottery tickets on those kids, if they really went into soccer, because I don't think we're ever going. I don't think we can compete on the full team level of the best teams in the world. But it doesn't mean we can't stumble upon our earling Holland he's the kid of a pro athlete who filed in his dad's footsteps. Like That's the other thing. The NBA is becoming so much more kids of pros, and I just do wonder if there is so much more money in international soccer than there is in the NFL, except for for the quarterbacks, that I just wonder if we can't convince maybe again, maybe it's maybe the conversation is with retired nflers with young young kids like hey, instead of steering your kid towards the NFL. What about steering your five year old towards soccer, because there is a level of speed, strength, athleticism that we're leaving on the table. And even if that means because these kids go to you know, the best players in the world, they go to academies when they're like ten years old, like the that well, and again I don't know. I mean, he's just like, there's just a lot of guys. I mean, so, I guess I didn't even think about this. This kind of literally is happening, right. It's Alex Freeman who's on the team. His dad's Antonio Freeman. And so I just think our path is not how do we become Spain, it's how do we become Croatia? Like we're with Luca Madrich, like with a spectacular all time singular great player and a few other great ones. But man, oh man, last thing on this, and then I do want to watch the final half hour of Switzerland Columbia. This tournament's been one of the greatest months of sports in my life. It's just and I am very after When Switzerland Columbia ends, there's eight games left and only seven that I really like, I don't care so much about the third place game, but there's seven of the best games of your life left and all tomorrow for the first day in forever, there's no games on and then Thursday we get France Morocco from Boston at four. Friday we get Spain Belgium at six pm Eastern. I'm gonna be you eastern times from LA I should have been in the US or could have been the US. Saturday we get Norway England at five o'clock from Miami, and then Saturday night we get Argentina against Oh wait, hold on, did I give you the wrong time? Spain Belgium's on at three eastern, not six eastern. Wow, I didn't realize that. Oh they're not putting it on at night. Okay, wow, I didn't realize that at all. But we have game. We have amazing games Thursday, Friday, at doubleheader Saturday, and then then the real sadness kind of kicks in where there's no games for a number of days, and then Semifinal one is Tuesday. Oh, Semifinal two is Wednesday. So I just realized, guys, Sorry, Tuesday, we were gonna do a sh show at four o'clock. We are not doing a show that is up against the World Cup semifinal, So we're gonna we might push that toill later in the show to day. I'm not sure how we're gonna do that, or maybe I'll just do an emergency episode by myself. I'm not sure. But so there's another reason subscribe to the pod. We're not gonna counterprogram the World Cup semifinal. It show's popular, not that popular, We're not We're gonna go ahead and not do that. Uh, but we just did an hour and twenty minutes on the US. We'll do We'll be back here tomorrow where we will do I'm sure a ton more on the World Cup and where's Lebron going, NBA free agency, all of that. A huge thank you too, Hard Rock, Bet, Boost Mobile and our newest sponsor, Square. How about that huge thank you to Blue Duck, and a volume to Demon's and everybody. Everyone. Enjoy the games. Talk to you guys soon, see you guys tomorrow. Subscribe to the pod so you know when we're live. What's right