Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys, Screaming live.
Speaker 3: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Take Burgers, Let's got tag, takes any Patient Touchdown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: It's a Free Agency edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the Sat Seat Studios. Welcome in, everybody. We've got the whole cast and crew ready for you. Do rock today with Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman. So glad you're with us. Yes, free agency is upon us. The legal Tampa tampering period is here, and the Cowboys more active than they have been in the past, but still probably left a lot to be desired over the last twenty four hours or so, and we're gonna break it all down. They've made some moves. You're gonna talk about those moves, but we're also gonna talk about what could be next.
Speaker 3: If anything, for the Cowboys, tampering's over. It's time to pamper. Tampering.
Speaker 5: No pampering, no pamper, no tamper, damp Tampa, no tamper, no tampa pamper.
Speaker 3: There you go, no tampa.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: That comes on March eleventh. We got we got another twenty four hours no power. But cowboys make a couple moves.
Speaker 7: I don't want to damper your pamper. Don't damper my pamper on the tamper, on the tamper, or hamper.
Speaker 3: The pamper that you're attempting to tamper.
Speaker 5: All of our audios. Our audio listeners just turned us off. If you're still around, thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate.
Speaker 5: They're like, okay, this and this is what type of day what we do? Patrick, no Sewalker, You've had your finger on the.
Speaker 3: Pulse of Cowboys tampering period.
Speaker 5: Who if they decided to pamper going into this twenty sixth season.
Speaker 8: Well let's start with literally who they decided to pamper. They agreed to termined one year deal with Sam Williams. So Sam Williams is remaining in the building on a yeah you just called it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a Baryeah. I don't know where you were headed with that, but now I go, we got there, we got we got there.
Speaker 8: Sam Williams back on a one year deal for three million dollars key special teams got for the Cowboys. But we're not going to pretend that he doesn't need to show something on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 9: But this new system fits him though, it does I mean the type of well, yeah, the type of player that yes, I'll say that right, yeah, if there was a choice between a four to three and a three four, this is the system that he will want to be in. So I know we've been hard in regards to, you know, analytically, you.
Speaker 3: Know, going after you know, Sam Williams.
Speaker 9: But that's because he, in my opinion, did not fit a four to three type defensive end. He is a three to four outside linebacker. This system should bode well for him.
Speaker 10: He was asked he was thrown into the Mike Zimmer defense. He was thrown into my gosh, ever flews his defense. So yeah, maybe it might not have suited him as well. But I think there's a lot of concerns there as far as just personal fouls. I think that's one of the things that you have to consider. I mean, he has nine point five sacks in his career, but nine personal fouls.
Speaker 3: And that's the big thing.
Speaker 10: And that's the big thing. He's got to be able to mature. I mean, granted, they're giving him another shot. It's a you know, three I'm sorry, one year deal, three million dollars. That's interesting, But I'd say there are better moves that were made yesterday.
Speaker 8: There were that price tags a bit high for a special teams player that needs to show himself on defense and show that you can either impact it positively on defense or at least that minimum not impacted negatively on defense. But that's the Sam Williams equation. Hopefully he shows up this year in a big way. We obviously hope that these guys do. But we're also going to tell you what the real is, bigger news to what Josh is saying. First of all, Cowboys started off legal time Pree not with a free agency signing.
Speaker 3: But with a trade.
Speaker 8: Cowboys traded for Packers former Packers and rusher Rashawn Gary. The Cowboys were able to get him for a fourth round pick from the twenty twenty seven NFL Draft. Lock so the Cowboys are at the moment absorbing that contract with a base salary of eighteen million dollars this year. But the expectation is that will be reworked. So I need you to open your eyes slope. There you go, There you go. It is not the expectation that he will play this season under the Packers contract that the Cowboys are inheriting. So there's a handshake agreement there, but it is only twenty four hours after that trade was agreed to. But it can't be finalized until Wednesday anyway, so you're not going to see a reworked contract until the trade could be finalized.
Speaker 3: So keep that in mind, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 8: Legal tampering is yesterday or today tomorrow when the league year opens at four pm Eastern time, everything becomes final and then you can start reworking contracts like that. So Rashan Gary in the building splash play for the Cowboys to get him for Christian Parker in this new system, and then they went and made another splash play.
Speaker 3: They jumped all the way to safety. We talked about.
Speaker 8: Isaiah and Joshua of the ILK that safety is slightly more important the linebacker Kyl and I on the other side of that.
Speaker 3: But they went to Jalen Thompson.
Speaker 8: So they signed Jalen Thompson, former Arizona card and they spent several seasons with guess who, Ryan Smith, the secondary coach now here in Dallas, so obviously you knew who stood on that table. Ryan for Jalen Thompson. Loved Jalen Thompson's versatility. He's played free safety in his past with the Cardinals, but he is now a strong safety with the versatility to be able to cover. Someone posted some clips yesterday of his range. Insane. His range is absolutely insane. They got him on a three year, thirty six million dollar max deal, so he's here. They also Restructuredik Hooker, which saves them two million dollars against the cap. But in restructuring Malik Hooker, anyone who was asking if Malie Hooker will be in the building this year, that means he will be in the building. They're not restructuring the player that they're going to release or trade or any of those things. So as it stands, your starting safety unit is Malik Hooker at free and Jalen Thompson coming in at strong. What does that mean for Donovan Wilson. Likely means that Donovan Wilson is going to be playing elsewhere going forward because they did not give Jalen Thompson a thirty six million dollar contract for him to play in rotation or back up to anybody.
Speaker 3: So there you go, writing on the wall there, right is on the wall there.
Speaker 8: They also restructured the deal on Terrence Steele, So anyone knowing on this PA, because we knew they want to keep Terrence Steele. They saved nine million dollars toward the salary cap by restructuring Terrence Steele. So he's going to be Yeah, he's going to be your starting right tackle going forward.
Speaker 3: And it's a cheaper deal, and it is much cheaper deal for Dallas.
Speaker 5: It makes him the sixteenth highest paid offensive tackle in football, which if you're looking at his production and the pay that he's going.
Speaker 3: To have, it's about right. It's commensurate. Are those that's about right?
Speaker 10: Are those details finalizers that have to wait till Wednesday as well?
Speaker 3: No, can be fine, restructures can be done now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, yeah, because that's under contract, that's freedom captain got.
Speaker 7: But it's not a pay cut NECESSI No, it is.
Speaker 3: Not a page. It's just reorganized from a reorganizing.
Speaker 8: It's giving it's liquid any more funds for him upfront, but allowing the Cowboys to get cap reliefs. Same is what we talked about last week with Dak Prescott, Ceedee lamb uh Tyler Smith. So, and they still have something that they could restructure. Oh so Diggy Zoo is a big one that's steering you right in the face if you need to make that move and pull that trigger and restructure and get cap savings without his permission. Since we last spoke, the Cowboys have issued a second round tender.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of news and notes before flying through it.
Speaker 8: Second round tender on both branded Aubrey and TJ Bass at five point six million dollars per point of clarity for those that may not know. With the second round tender, Cowboys have the right to first refusal. If a team makes an offer to one of those two guys Aubrey or Brett or Bass, the Cowboys can look at that offer choose to match it. If they choose to match it, they have the right to retain the player if they choose to not match it, and the player leaves whatever team they go to, Cowboys get a second round pick as compensation for that loss. So again that's Aubrey and Bass, no second round tender or any tender on one Ya Thomas or brock Kaufman. I'm kind of surprising on brock Kaufman, but I from a logistics standpoint, While I don't like it, I understand it because then you're paying five point six million dollars for what they determined to be the seventh offensive lineman. I think TJ. Bass is the seventh offensive lineman. So that's where they and I disagree. But for the sake of explaining why they didn't tender both, that's why they didn't tender both.
Speaker 5: I think there's a little bit more league wide interesting TJ.
Speaker 3: Bass. I couldn't agree with that.
Speaker 5: Then for brock hoton what we're hearing, and you can still resign brock Hoffmann, you still work a deal and bring him back.
Speaker 3: He's a little upset on the moment though.
Speaker 5: Yeah he's a little upset, But we'll talk about that later when it comes to when it comes to TJ. Bass though, That's why I think it came down to those two guys, and they had to put a second round tender on one, not both, and they said, let's go with TJ. Bass because we feel like there's a better opportunity to bring Hoffmann back in the building than it might be for TJ. Bass to return, and you're gonna do it to Aubrey to protect your rights there and make sure that you have one of the best kickers in the league under contract.
Speaker 8: Now, to wrap up news and notes as well I can considering what all we got going, Cowboys also were awarded two compensatory picks for the twenty twenty six NFL Draft, both in the fifth round, one seventy seventh overall and one eightieth overall. Those picks can be traded, okay, so the Cowboys can use those as sweeteners for whatever package they might have that maybe gets them back into the second or third round or whatever trade they might want to do on trade day or prior to. So that's the news and notes Cowboys. I'm not even gonna say they missed out on Max Cross because I agree not giving the two first rounds Rosby, but they definitely went all the way to the finish line with that. And then Baltimore was like, yeah, we're just we're willing to do it, and I agree with the Cowboys not being willing to do it, which led to Rashawn Gary. Questions are being asked to me, Well, no, see with the Rashawn Gary acquisition, are they out on Trey Hendrickson as we have this conversation, They are not out on trade Hendrickson. They are out on thirty million dollars for trade Hendrickson. But if that price can come down kind of commensurate to some concerns about if he's ready to go, if he will be ready to go medically after that.
Speaker 7: Injury, I think, which apparently he is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think a deal can be struck. They're still working the Tredy Hendrickson angle. So you if all things work out how the Cowboys would love them to, you might end up with both Gary and Hendrickson. And then you still they whipped on the linebacker.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, that was a time, all right.
Speaker 5: So before we get too far into this, before we get to get too far into this, I want to talk about the Rashan Gary trade. I want to talk about that. When it comes to Rashan Gary, you you trade a fourth.
Speaker 3: Round pick, and I put this out there yesterday.
Speaker 5: Dallas has been very recently willing to trade fourth round picks for.
Speaker 3: Players they're pretty loose with him.
Speaker 5: Arguably, Yeah, three times in the last four years, Trey Lance, Jonathan Mingo. Now you've got Rashan Gary. This is out of those three the best chance for the for the player to end up being an impact player for your team.
Speaker 3: I see a lot of pushback.
Speaker 5: Though, on Twitter and on the social media side of things from Cowboys fans about Rashaan Gary. Remember, this is not the the blue chip edge rusher that I think everybody won it. But is he a good football player? Absolutely? Is he better than what you had on this roster last year. Absolutely? I think he is your best pass rusher outside of maybe Donovan Azaraku and we'll talk about Jadavian Clowney at some point down the line. Either one of those guys I think is better. I mean, you got a really solid starting caliber edge rusher slash defensive lineman because he's probably gonna play a lot of that four I spot in Christian Parker's defense. So I don't want to knock on that. The knock I think is where people are assuming Dallas is done.
Speaker 3: Now they oh, they've missed out on all these guys.
Speaker 5: They missed out on these players, they missed out on free agency in general. That's where the frustration lies. Josh, and I feel like it might be fair in some elements. Linebacker, I think it's.
Speaker 3: Fair they've missed out on linebacker.
Speaker 5: Yes, but with the edge rusher possibilities that are still on the table and some of these other secondary players, I don't think they're done yet. And I still get the feeling that they're going to work something out in a couple of those areas. It may have to be trades now as opposed to free agency. But I just don't think Rashan Garry is your number one move. But right now people.
Speaker 3: Are thinking that's going to be the number one No.
Speaker 10: Of course, it was the first thing that you did. It was one of the first stories to come out of Day one of free agency or legal tampering. So I understand that respect. I understand people being frustrated. I was frustrated at the end of the day because of the linebacker situation. I think that the trade for Rashon Gary. Granted, if you ask any Packers fan, they're like, oh, we fleeced the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Okay, paying Micah Parsons.
Speaker 10: Oh no, no, But the best ability availability is ability is availability. At least for Rashon Gary, who started sixteen of seventeen games, played six hundred and sixteen snaps without missing a tackle, the second most in a season since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 7: He had seven point.
Speaker 10: Five sacks, which, paired with a Jadevian clowning from last year, would have been a savior. That would have been amazing to have a guy like that on your team last year.
Speaker 3: Huge.
Speaker 10: Granted, do you think that he obviously benefited from a Micah Parsons playing alongside Michah Parsons throughout.
Speaker 7: The year last year.
Speaker 10: I think it's not just a rotational guy. I think he's a starting caliber outside linebacker, defensive end, whatever you want to call it in the scheme, but they're using primarily on the left side, and I think more than anything, they're looking at his run defense abilities and paired with Jalen Thompson, who is also very versatile and is able to play at the line of scrimmage and is great against the run, I think it's just a it's more of a philosophy that they're trying to improve that side of the ball and be sure tacklers. Both of these guys are that. I don't think this is saying that we're done with free agency. It can't be that way, because they were trying really hard to get a linebacker yesterday.
Speaker 7: It just didn't swing our way.
Speaker 10: Not that I'm making excuses for it, because I think if you want a guy desperately enough, you do what you can to go get him. That's why Trey Hendrickson is still on the board. I'm like, Okay, guys, go get him. I almost don't care what it takes. I don't want to go thirty million, and he's not coming off of that number right now. But seriously, I think if you want a total facelift of your defense, that's what you need to do.
Speaker 8: I think when I agree with what you're saying, and I feel like when it comes to the Rashawn Gary move, I think what the Rashaan Gary move does for you is a few things. First of all, this is a guy who has what twenty four sacks. If you're only using if you're one of those people who only use sex as a measurement for success as an edge wresser, you also shouldn't do that. But Okay, let me just give you a crumb today. He had twenty four sacks through the past three seasons. He averaged seven and a half over the past two seasons. He's the definition of consistency in that category as well as durability. He played in seventeen full regular season games of twenty twenty four, fifteen starts out of sixteen games that he was active in twenty twenty five, so you're getting that as well. I do agree with Kyle. Do I look at Rashan Gary as the well?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 8: I don't look at him as the well. I look at him as a very good football player who is good at rushing the pastor at pastor and at stopping the run, who if combined with another move Trey Hendrickson ideally, But if you don't get Trey Hendrickson, then you know there's a guy in Miami I would like to tandem with in addition to Donovan nezro Rocku. I just feel like, and I agree with both your points. Rashaun Gary isn't the end all be all to resolve the issue at the edge, but he can be with a plus one.
Speaker 3: The question is who's the plus one?
Speaker 8: My bigger concern with the Cowboys is and again not for lack of effort, because we're here in the building.
Speaker 3: We know for a fact they went hard at linebacker yesterday. They went making calls. Yeah, it's crazy, just didn't just didn't go.
Speaker 5: What happened to your dog?
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 3: We need to talk. What happened to Kobe? What are you doing? All right? What are you doing? He chose a two win team? What do you what are you doing? Yeah, let's talk about it. You get your dog here? Rough? Rough? What are we doing? What we do? Listen? I did all the I did all the you know.
Speaker 7: Put the feelers out there.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 5: Maybe tweets were what sent him away.
Speaker 3: This guy, the star guy. We possibly you got no urges with everybody got no sea.
Speaker 9: That's right, former former Bulldog. Yeah you have his former coach.
Speaker 7: You can't say it today.
Speaker 9: Who's calling the plays on that side of the ball? And neither of those was good enough to get him here? What the heck? I'm going to tell you what happened, No doubt, all jokes aside. I was like, n Kobe, what are you doing? So, you know, kind of called around, texted around, you know, because George is a family baby, Thus dogs find out what the family just like so word is because of how the Raiders set the table with keeping Eric Stokes and getting kay Walker his teammates, yeah, former teammates from Georgia Championship. You know Natty Winners so so with his friends instead of when you want.
Speaker 7: J Allen whatever you need to come on.
Speaker 8: Maybe, but all jokes aside. Man, I wish to Kobe nothing but the best, and he did not. You know, he left the rival. He didn't go to another rival, So okay, cool, but you know it did it did sting because it was right there. The money was was comparable chid rebas here, Robert muss Champs here, George Pickens is still in the building.
Speaker 3: Nikobe, what are you doing?
Speaker 9: You know, I honestly wasn't sad about what do you think? I mean, you're just just playing around. But I was sad about missing out on Lloyd, was sad about missing out on Little.
Speaker 3: I mean, those buffalos.
Speaker 8: Got how'd you feel about Quincy Quincy Williams Quinn's brother.
Speaker 9: Oh that didn't bother me, didn't bother No, that didn't bother me. I like Azeloni.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, he flew off to man what's that run on linebacker started?
Speaker 9: It was those those those three really in particular, it was really Lloyd Little and then as a loon.
Speaker 5: And I think the league looks at it that way too, which is why they flew off the board as quickly as they did.
Speaker 3: I mean there was really no.
Speaker 5: Room for error on one side or the other, not just one team, not just the Cowboys. I mean teams were hunting linebacker and you could see that. What did you think about the Gary side?
Speaker 9: I thought it was a good trade. As you guys mentioned, you know, nothing that's jumping off the board. But what I think the angle that the Cowboys are taking, I think they're they're stuck between old times and the new wave right now. I think that they're they're still trying to be on the Stephen Jones. Let's let's save a couple of dollars in our pocket, you know, not necessarily bargain shopping.
Speaker 3: But it's like a it's like a poll.
Speaker 9: It's like, hey, I know I need to do more than what I've done, but I still don't want to empty the bag so much. I think that they're going to have more depth than they've ever had. I'm just not sure that they're going to have the star players that everybody is hoping to see, especially now that free agent has passed. I foresee them making one more depth move at the I would say probably two more moves. I think they're going to add a linebacker. I think they're going to add another outside linebacker slash d n uh. But I don't think that's going to be a big splash player. I think it's gonna be a consistent player, somebody who makes contributions. And I think that they're really kind of have to. They're going to be forced to turn their attention to consistency versus one splash, And I think that they're really torn between, Well, we had a Micah in the building who was the big splash, and we've seen what that did for our overall defense. Okay, a heck of a player, but they made a hard line decision to go away from that, right, to go away from dumping the money into one player, so that they can have the money to have depth right in rotation and have consistency. So I think that they're really torn between should we go back to that, we find ourselves going back towards the Mica stuff.
Speaker 3: No, we can't do that. We already had that guy in the building.
Speaker 9: So let's go ahead and let's add to depth and add consistency. So we could have three or four guys that are able to come in and play. And no, they might not all individually be splashed players and can be absolutely dominant, but collectively as a defense, we could be one heck of a unit if we have consistency across the board. So I think they really keep getting in that tug of war, right like you know, you mentioned that they try to go out to somebody's line backers. You know, I don't think they're going to overpay at the defensive and slash outside linebacker position Gary. As you guys mentioned, they're going to rework that contract. So I think that they're really going to add two or three more pieces for depth and consistency and then go hard with their first round picks on a defensive side. So I think that you're still going to see a completely different defense. It's just not going to be ooh, you better watch that player. He can kill us.
Speaker 10: But I would argue that the depth pieces that you would want to add to your defense currently have been eliminated a bit because in day one. You know, it wasn't necessarily the big splash players. I mean we're talking about Lloyd and Little who didn't necessarily command like giant contracts, I think, like very doable contracts for what the Cowboys are trying to do to still be able to pay George Pickens and you know, a lot of your franchise players in the future. But to have those guys go off day one and not make the hard enough push to make it happen to me is disappointing. I think that as far as linebacker goes, yesterday was a really really tough set.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think.
Speaker 8: I mean, if we had to offer up a grade, I think yesterday was was a c uh.
Speaker 3: They got off to the races. Yeah, they got off.
Speaker 5: To the give it like a B B minus B B minus. I mean you got starting, safety starting, and Thompson is an A. Like those are two guys that are better than Thompson is an A where Shaun Gary is a B plus. But I can't give Gary an A because I literally just said here and said you need a plus one to complete.
Speaker 3: That package, which I agree.
Speaker 8: So if you need a plus one, if this is Thompson, I don't think you need the plus one to complete the Jaalen Thompson move.
Speaker 3: So it's an A.
Speaker 8: But if you need any type of sweetener for the move, then it can't be an A. So that will be let's say a B plus. So if I give an AID to Jalen Thompson, Jayalen Thompson signing.
Speaker 3: You can B plus? Did Gary?
Speaker 8: And I got to give you an f O linebacker because you nothing was addressed there?
Speaker 3: So I land right at sea.
Speaker 5: But it's also day one, No, I agree, I say it's day one.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of names.
Speaker 8: If I'm great yesterday, if I'm grading yesterday, I didn't say it. I'm grading free agency. Sure agency is not over. But if I'm grading yesterday, yesterday's a C. Let's see what the moves are today. But I will losso admit Josh has has a great point some of the depth, especially at linebacker. There was such a run on linebackers that and I think everyone who follows me on Twitter saw when I said Sonny or cj also Rodriguez, I'm into that as well. Come on down because now there's been such a run at linebacker and free agency, which now anyone you sign outside of some type of blockbuster linebacker trade. Now you start looking at the draft and you start looking at twelve or twenty.
Speaker 5: At that pisode, and maybe other teams don't necessarily need linebackers in front of you, and you.
Speaker 8: Have because there was a run on linebackers and free agency.
Speaker 5: Maybe all right, when we come back, I want to talk about what could be next for Dallas.
Speaker 3: What are the other moves that.
Speaker 5: They can get to make this feel better than what it has been.
Speaker 3: I still think that they're moving in the right direction.
Speaker 5: But as Isaiah talked about and I completely agree with, haven't necessarily emptied the bag quite yet. Let's talk about what they can do in order to do so. Plus, we're going to take a look around the NFC East as well. More talking cowboys right after this.
Speaker 3: How's it going? You see that cowboy?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I watched I've been seeing some good thanks totally. They have some talent, You have some great talent, and they got some fight. Hoping this is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 9: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice?
Speaker 7: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 12: Bank of America, the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America.
Speaker 5: Corporation, Cowboys Fans, We've got big news.
Speaker 3: Black Rifle Energy.
Speaker 5: Is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating location. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee, America's coffee.
Speaker 6: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build the future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 4: We're with you.
Speaker 6: That's our promise to you, because no matter of the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 3: Where are you?
Speaker 2: Where are you?
Speaker 4: United?
Speaker 12: At at and t we guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking Buster to the vet.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, I can't believiate the whole thing of chicken wings.
Speaker 3: And I can't believe we're staging a comeback to staying connected matters.
Speaker 12: That's why in the rare event of a network outage, you'll automatically get a bill credit for a full day service for wiles downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by single incident impacting ten more towers mut be connected to imact tower. Don't set about it. Restrictions and exclusion apply. CET dot com slash guarantee for full details.
Speaker 3: Matter to talk in Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Back herend Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: The segment.
Speaker 5: Segment.
Speaker 3: This segment has brought to you by.
Speaker 5: Invisi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Welcome in, everybody, all right?
Speaker 5: Continuing to talk about free agency right now, the Cowboys are twenty second out of thirty two teams in terms of free agent spending. Would anybody like to take a guess on who is number one on that list?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Caroline, Carolina pen it is not a Carolina Panthers. They are third.
Speaker 3: Raiders.
Speaker 5: Tennessee Titans are number one, two hundred and eighty three million dollars on day one.
Speaker 3: What a Raiders number two?
Speaker 5: They are number two, two hundred and eighty one point five millions.
Speaker 3: Only one Derbaum, So.
Speaker 5: Two those two teams hit twot eighty. The Panthers are in third at one seventy two.
Speaker 3: Tell us. It's like dog on it.
Speaker 5: The amount of additions the Raiders made man was just wild. It's crazy to see how much they spent. Now, there is something in common for a lot of these teams. You take a look at the Raiders, the Titans, the Commanders, the Saints, the Colts, the Giants all in the top What is that seven teams of spending. All of those teams are picking in the top ten of the NFL Draft. So you've got all of those teams, Raiders, the Tigers, the Giants, the Commanders, the Saints. I don't believe one of those teams I named the Colts are not picking in the top ten, but you know what I mean. So lots of spending from the bottom level teams in the draft and We're gonna take a look at what the NFC East did here in a couple of moments as well. But I want to talk take a look at some of the top one hundred free agents according to the NFL dot Com and who is still out there that could be a fit for Dallas.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got some guys. Got some guys. Tell me one you got.
Speaker 9: I mean, people are gonna get me like I'm crazy, But anyway, care I still want Bobby Wagner. Yeah, still want Bobby Wagner. Caleb Chase eight years old, absolutely still one of the top linebackers in the league. Bobby Wagner a coach on the field, a coach on the field, consistent, great person, great locker room guy, leader, just all those things he can still he still got some tread on on the tires.
Speaker 3: So I think you can get him for a very affordable at the number.
Speaker 10: I think that, and especially if you're drafting linebackers, what better pairing would it be to have a Bobby Wagner coaching these guys up. Like we said, literally a coach on the field to help these guys improve. I mean, like even for a guy like Shamar James, how crucial would that be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, b him.
Speaker 9: If you're gonna have a rotational veteran, that's that's one. Caleb on Chase on out of I agree with England. I like him a lot as well.
Speaker 5: That would be such a full circle most it would be so fully from twenty c Lamb Chase. That was the decision at seventeen. They go with c Ed Lamb best player available, not over the need of edge rusher which they needed, and then for him to just come on back after ceede Lamb's been an all pro. They get it right and then Caylevons gets a circle all the love see.
Speaker 3: That would be wild.
Speaker 7: Would you like that move?
Speaker 3: You know what? I would?
Speaker 5: I think it'd be fun because it would go into what you talked about a couple of weeks ago when we're talking about this three four scheme and switching from a four to three to a three four, even though they're going to run multiple I know there's that conversation two. You need versatile ed rushers, you need big bodied ed rushers, and that's what Calebon Jason can bring. So I think it would add to that room of edge rushers you need to compile. You've added it with Rashan, Gary Calebon Jason would be another depth piece. Is he your starter?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Is he a rotational player? Absolutely, He's probably gonna play a lot of snaps for you.
Speaker 7: Of those listed, where does Kaden Ellis?
Speaker 5: I love Kayden Ellis phenomenal player and I mean you talk about him as one of the and I know NFL dot Com wrote about this. I completely agree, the most underrated players of his generation. And he's thirty one years old. He's established himself as a pass rushing linebacker. You can play him off ball, you can play them on ball, you can play him kind of in a number of different areas. Played a ton of snaps. I think it was what a thousand snaps over the last three seasons or so. Give me Kateen Ellis at the second level. I would love something like that two year, three year deal. Let's make a happen.
Speaker 7: Is he top of your list as far as linebackers go.
Speaker 5: As far as linebackers, probably, yeah, he'd probably be number one remaining out of the free agent list. I know there's the rumors of what they would do and possible trade scenarios. I would like those. That would be fun, but we can't talk about the specific players. Kate Ellis we can talk about says he's a free agent. Yeeah, he'd probably be my number one remaining out of city. He'd probably be right there. Yeah, I would give I would give the.
Speaker 3: Edge to Ellis though, I think he fits the system.
Speaker 10: Similarly, on NFL dot com, they were talking about his availability and you playing more than five hundred snaps in a year?
Speaker 7: Is he k doing something like that Shanalo?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah for me.
Speaker 8: And this is some of these guys that we're talking about that are still available made it to my open market series on Dallas Cowboys dot com.
Speaker 3: So I'm still mad at I'm still mad at.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Chayson is one of those guys.
Speaker 8: So when we talked about adding the sweetener to the Gary deal, Chason would be that a sweetener. An example of that sweetener. You gotta address linebacker today. So, whether it be Ellis, whether it be Chanel, you gotta address linebacker. I'm gonna go to cornerback because they didn't address that yesterday either.
Speaker 3: I want to Wreak Wooling.
Speaker 7: I like those words.
Speaker 5: I've always been Ak Woolling fan since he was a ut so found the freak baby bring him back to the lone star state.
Speaker 3: Let's do it's gonna cost you don't care shut up.
Speaker 5: Because he went to set he was.
Speaker 3: A back up.
Speaker 2: Bunny.
Speaker 3: Why he had fans wants the bag man, I don't. I don't think that you no, he's gonna get. I don't think you can get Wrek and and and the past rushing that you want. I don't think I don't even get both. I just don't.
Speaker 5: I just don't like your Seattle and super Bowl champion mine negating our dreams of getting a tall, linking, speedy corner.
Speaker 8: I don't meanly disagree that you can't do both things.
Speaker 3: Really you can do both things.
Speaker 8: An example being at the top of the show, I said, you know they restructured five guys to this point, right, No burgers. They there's one at least one sitting right in front of you that you haven't put a trigger on yet. Why haven't you put the trigger on restructuring oh yet? Because you don't need to yet. But in the event you need to, you're going to pull that. So let's say they get Trey Hendrickson, and let's say they can talk him down to I don't know. Let's say twenty eight whatever, just for the sake of math, I wouldn't do thirty But let's say they get.
Speaker 3: Would you be happy with?
Speaker 9: Honestly, would you guys be happy paying Trey Henderson twenty eight?
Speaker 3: Yes, as he was he's on your team. I'm fine, Yeah, because.
Speaker 7: You find a way to make it work.
Speaker 8: Aby say two things are true, which is to what I'm saying. You can finesse the salary cap. However you need to finess it. Teams do it all the time. In addition to it, it ain't my.
Speaker 5: Money's that's where it ain't my money. That's where my mind says. So I sat up here last week and told Cowboys fans and was very adamant about it. And I still believe this. By the way that I think this year is different from a spending standpoint. I think it is different from what I've heard from the front office and from what we've heard all the way around. And I still think they are willing to do something big. But at that point it might be thirty million for Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: He's not going below.
Speaker 5: Do what you gotta do to make this team better and do exactly what Jerry said on the bus to us in Indianapolis. Wager the future, and that's the nice way of putting it. Listen, but wager the future and get a badass football player on your team and spend the money to do so. I still think they are tinkering on doing that, but they're just hesitant at the moment. But in this day and age of NFL free agency and the legal tampering period, hesitation gets you nothing. You cannot wait for this, make a move, forget about the future. Let's do this thing over the next two or three years and see what happened.
Speaker 8: Because here's what you don't want them to do, right, And this is not a shot a shot at either of these two guys, especially Javion Clwnty, because we on this show we love us some Jadaeveon Clowney. But if you can get Trey Hendrickson in lieu of breaking that money apart and saying, Okay, I'm going to bring back Fowler and Clowney and a third person. And then here's Jerry now spinning it and selling it how he has in the past and saying, well, instead of us pay Micah, we were able to get five different people. Could he could I don't want that to happen here. I say, you go and get trade I already said I don't want to pay trade thirty.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 8: But if they pay trade thirty, am I personally going to be upset? No, because he's on the roster, which was my goal and it ain't my money. And I know that you can pull more triggers to free up more cash to also get to wreak Willing and bring Wreek to Dallast.
Speaker 3: So yes, you can do all of those.
Speaker 9: Let me ask you this question, ask if you can wait until tomorrow and grab somebody for Miami for twenty.
Speaker 3: Who's somebody I don't think. I'm not sure. I can't say yeah, grab somebody out.
Speaker 7: Of Miami here, So just like go dogs, can't say it today.
Speaker 9: Hey, so grab that person for twenty and you go get a Reek and you get a line a contributing linebacker.
Speaker 3: Up one of the guys, like you get an l ass or all or something exactly. You're saying that you would prefer wait.
Speaker 8: The person you're talking about in Miami, are they on an expiring contract?
Speaker 3: They are going to most likely be if there's no deal done by tomorrow, will their contract.
Speaker 8: Expire, Well, they would already be. I'm trying to figure out what she's talking about without saying it on the air, and listen, I'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: It tax it to me.
Speaker 5: But you're saying, let's just say Edge Rusher twenty million dollars, a blue chip guy. Yeah, if you if you get him along with a starting caliber linebacker and a starting caliber corner, would you feel okay with that as opposed to Trey Hendrix.
Speaker 10: If you get Trey Hendrickson, I think you were much less worried about getting cleaned out at linebacker because then you can focus on the draft at that product.
Speaker 7: Okay, because you have those those high picks, you have two first round picks.
Speaker 10: I think you're able to make it work if you draft or if you sign at this and.
Speaker 7: Make it work with linebacker at this point.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yes, I like Henderson.
Speaker 9: I love his I love him, and I hate that what's happened to him in terms of his career and being screwed contractually. I wish the best for man, and maybe he'll be here. I personally, I okay, would much rather have are one of these with the gentlemen out of Miami that I like go get your corner right and get you a starting linebacker, and then use your first two picks in the draft to go get two more goons on defense that are young guns that can contribute. That's what I would like because now at that point you're in the higher defense.
Speaker 3: It's a holistic that you have no weaknesses at that point.
Speaker 8: Okay, right, no glern to answer your question, because brain funk it now. I know so because I thought the move had already been executed tomorrow. If the move is executed for the player that we're.
Speaker 5: Just being safe by the way, for everybody, see everybody in the chat, you got it.
Speaker 3: You guys know the name. That's the name we're talking about.
Speaker 8: So if we're just that's my mistake because I thought it had already been executed. But if that move is executed tomorrow when the new league year opens.
Speaker 3: To answer your question, yes.
Speaker 8: I am much more comfortable and I'm completely fine within lieu of Trede Hendrick saying you bring me this guy.
Speaker 3: As want something else.
Speaker 8: If you add Tarique Wooland or that's what I'm saying, or a shannalo or if you add that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not by that by themselves.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what I'm saying that we said this is the beginning of the show. I believe that Dallas is halfway and halfway out of trying to go back to paying so much money for one player. Yes, I really think that they're torn between what they've done.
Speaker 3: And what they're unwilling to do.
Speaker 9: So I truly believe that they're waiting on this potential move to happen, and if they can't get that done, then they'll go do it.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Okay, So as we have this conversation, I could see their thought process starting to maybe shift toward that, but it wasn't that effective last Friday or Saturday when they were ready to go hard, when they did go hard at Max Crosby, and then when that didn't pan out because I agree in not giving up two first rounds, they said, Okay, well, let's pivot to still talking to Troy Hendrickson, but let's go ahead and make this for Shawn Gary move in the event we also don't get Hendrickson knowing that Gary needs a sweetener. So if the sweetener is the guy from Miami, if that move is executed tomorrow and you address linebacker and or corner with not just a budget ben guy, but an actual starter. Yeah, that's how I would at this range. That's exactly how I'm looking at this. And I can see that playing out. I can see that.
Speaker 9: I can see that gentleman looking at what just happened yesterday with the trade with Dallas for Gary looking at there and saying, oh, he's over there.
Speaker 3: Bet, I'll come play on the opposite side.
Speaker 9: And oh, and you guys are gonna grab a linebacker, a starting linebacker.
Speaker 3: Oh bet. And oh and you're gonna go get a corner. Let's go.
Speaker 9: I got a question, and we got and too, first run too, first rup, let's go.
Speaker 5: I got a question for the panel because I'm curious. Well, we got to take a break, so okay, we got to come back. We're gonna talk about Patrick's question here in a second. We're gonna take a look at the NFC East when we come back. More talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 12: At at and T we guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking Buster to the vet.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, I can't believiate the whole thing of chicken.
Speaker 12: Wings, and I can't believe we're staging a comeback.
Speaker 3: Staying connected matters.
Speaker 12: That's why in the rare event of a network outage, you'll automatically get a bill credit for a full day service for wh its downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by single incident impacting ten more towers must be connected to imact tower. Don't think about it. Diristrictions exclusion apply. Se eet dot com slash guarantee for full details.
Speaker 5: Cowboys fans, We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating locations. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee America's coffee.
Speaker 3: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 13: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation and If you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 5: That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to the Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys, with Patrick Josh Isaiah Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. For the first time in history, Melvin has made two back to back funny co In the chat section, I liked this one. He said, it's legal tampering, guys. You can say which we cannot.
Speaker 9: We cannot you kill untill he's especially called protecting the team guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially since he's still technically under contract. Even though the news is out that he will be released, we can't talk about it. And then he said, what future. Don't y'all watch the news with the laughing emoji? Oh yeah, that's fair, all right, let's wager the future.
Speaker 3: Right, all right? What was your question? Pat so question?
Speaker 8: We're sitting here, we're talking about this particular individual, which I think we all know who we're talking about now. In a scenario where not unlike Rashaun Gary, when teams know that this player is going to be released, there are obviously teams who are so willing to bust a budget. They're like, we're not going to trade him because we're willing to throw whatever bag at him.
Speaker 3: That's typically not the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: So as the Cowboys front office, would you not be more comfortable in the waning moments before he's officially released swooping in and offering up a pic. Yes, yep, what would that pick look like for you?
Speaker 5: The fifth, the fifth next year, one of those three fifth this year on next year, this year, you got three this.
Speaker 3: Year, you might as well use it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you got a comp it's.
Speaker 3: Got two right next to each other. You might as well.
Speaker 7: You got two two cops.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Now I will say this because you don't have any days Hupex.
Speaker 8: But this is a great point that Isaiah mixed though. Okay, he made this between during the break. That's a thirty plus million dollar hit for twenty twenty six, that this particular gentleman has on that that roster. It has to be a rework, right, it has to be. So Yeah, I agree, I'd give up a fifth.
Speaker 5: And maybe they'd take some of the contract, and so the fifth's probably expect they got to eat the pro ration anyway. Yeah, so there's a little bit of that. Are you worried about his injury history? He's got some.
Speaker 8: I can't know, because I can't in good conscience sit here and say that I'm in on Trey Hendrickson or that I was in on Max Crosby, but then look at this particular guy and say, oh, well, I'm not in on him from like, no, it's it's apples, apples apples, right, It's literally apples to apples to apples when you're compare those three. So yeah, I'm completely not worried about it from that capacity any more than I would be with her Hendrick Centomex Crosby. So yeah, I mean, I was just curious if you guys were of the same mindset with me. Was like, don't let him hit free agency because knowing how the Cowboys typically spend and even if they're they would, but they're not going to get into that batting war for that guy, So go in and take them.
Speaker 5: One other one other linebacker name we threw out Chanal, we threw out Elis one other linebacker name that I think and Nick Harris, friend of the show for him, were talking Cowboys remember through this out there yesterday. But Patrick Queen, uh from Pittsburgh, he might be.
Speaker 3: Another doesn't move great for me? Yeah, he's well, he's always been kind of slow.
Speaker 10: Those I think the report are saying that they might be out on that.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, were suing it as as hard he was.
Speaker 8: But then Hastick in Baltimore completely out of sorts. In Pittsburgh. You could say, different team, different system, and that's viable.
Speaker 3: I would rather have the other two guys, but yeah, yeah, you would.
Speaker 9: I'm trying to the identity of what the direction of this defense, and I'm thinking about guys that not only can produce on the field, but also give you the versatility to be able to be multiple.
Speaker 3: Defensively, which we know coach Parker wants to do.
Speaker 9: And then also what type of attitude that these guys have, what type of what type of aggression do they have on the field. That is going to determine the type of personnel that you're going to bring into this locker room as well. I think that's something that's lost when people are putting together rosters around this time of the year.
Speaker 3: People just look at.
Speaker 9: What they do on the What type of production do they have, what are their stats look like, what type of player are they? What type of energy do they bring right? Are they a high energy guy? Are they a raw ro guy? Are they go hit you in the face type?
Speaker 11: Do like?
Speaker 9: What do they bring in that regard. So that's what I think about some of these personnel. That's why I bring these names.
Speaker 7: Are they willing to do whatever it is?
Speaker 5: It's like, oh, I'm just about it exactly one of the I mean, out of the two guys they signed yesterday or made the moves for yesterday. Mixed reports on Rashan Garry, But for Jalen Thompson. I texted some of our friends over with the Arizona Cardinals said I love with seven to ohs seven O's in love. I love Jalen Thompson, nicest, most respectful and humble person. And then he said he's so great, played this entire year on a contract with no guaranteed money. He's smart, he's tough, and he deserves every bit of that money that is that is coming super high football like you. And that's even without him stepping within the building.
Speaker 10: Firstatle a sure tackler, I mean, he finishes plays and his solo tackle numbers are proof of that.
Speaker 7: Over his entire.
Speaker 5: Career, he split almost evenly three different areas in the In his alignment as safety, he had free, strong and nickel. He played a lot of nickel two hundred and thirty plus naps and nickel back, and so you're gonna use him a lot in a couple different areas for that that backside.
Speaker 9: If I'm building his defense, I know we gotta get out here. I'm looking at my interior d lineman being dogs, right, my three down those guys, all three of them have to be dogs. I'm looking for my outside linebackers now, Okay, I need those guys to be straight. Just I need both sides to be goons, just menaces, just even if they're not dominant players. I need them to be you know, you know, cohonas to the wall type people every single play just pests.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 9: I need my interior linebackers to be intellectual guys, sure tacklers that are smart as all get out, and I need my secondary to be versatile. That's that's how I would build this team. Right, So that's exactly how I would look at this. Now, if you can't go get and we seem to have possibly missed out on some of those just game changing type players, But now, I think you can still formulate your team in this way. Right, you have your three down guys already, I think you can still add to that there are some veteran guys that maybe towards the end of their career that can add to that depth.
Speaker 3: Right, there's some big boys out there.
Speaker 9: Klaias Kalaias Campbell's out there, You got Cameron Jordan out there. You got some guys that like all those guys are old. Yeah, but if they're going to be the second wave of your D line, that's a hell of a second line to bring in. And what do they bring to your locker room? What did they bring to ed Deep three? That's what I'm talking about. When you start adding these depth pieces. Have your starters, but then behind them have some consistent, smart, intellectual guys that can get their job done.
Speaker 3: Maybe not to the way they.
Speaker 9: Used to because they were big time star players, but they can still make huge contributions.
Speaker 5: Just because I teased it, I want to go through the NFC East real quick and kind of talk about what happened yesterday.
Speaker 3: Of course we talked about the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: They were the only team that did not lose a free agent to another team in the NFC East.
Speaker 3: And I believe in the NFL.
Speaker 5: I think that either waynybody good or bad, whatever that ends up being the Eagles, however, a lot, Oh my goodness, they did not sign anybody. Them and the Packers are the only two teams that did not sign any free agency yesterday, or at least to greet the terms. They did extend Jordan Davis that he did to tackle, but they lost Jalen Phillips, Nikobe Dean Reid Blankingship and Johan Doatson. So those are three or four really good players that they are not going to have. The Giants were very busy. They signed Isaiah Likely to tie end, and signed linebackers and Edmonds. They signed safety Ardarius Washington. They signed a new punter in Jordan Stout, and they re signed a couple of their guys offensive lineman and a wide receiver. They lost Wandale Robinson, Cordell Flatt, and Daniel Bellinger.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Of course they have new new leadership with John Harball and company.
Speaker 3: What was that Robinson got cast out? Yes he did? Yeah, good, good for him.
Speaker 5: And then the Commanders signed a dafe O Way. They signed corner of Meek Robertson. They signed defensive tackle Tim Settle from the Texans, and then they re signed Marcus Mariota and they extended one of their offensive linemens.
Speaker 3: At least they lost on alec Pearce.
Speaker 5: They did lose out on it.
Speaker 3: Now you don't have to worry about Pierce opposite scary Terry. Yes.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: The one guy they did lose was a guy they cut and a former cowboy, Tyler Biotische.
Speaker 3: He goes to the Chargers for three years and good for him. By the way, he got a little bit. You have noticed that our former centers have gotten paid. Who are you talking about an interior lineman? Beatis uh McGovern mc govern mc govern.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I literally said, you're watching. I'm like our our scouting department.
Speaker 5: They know how to pick limbat or lineman, offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: They got that one down.
Speaker 5: All right. That does it for us? Here on talking cowboys being back down Tuesday with more. Can't wait to have it, Isaiah, love you body. I just don't love to see hawks. That's about it, all right, We'll be back Tuesday plenty more to break down. I'm sure it'll be a whole another week of craziness between now and then for Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yoman, saying so long from talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.