Speaker 1: Okay, podcast starts. Now, what's up everyone. You are listening to Stradio Lab. We are in New York City live from Times Square. George still reeling.
Speaker 2: You're not allowed to speak.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Josh is being silenced. He said something poetic right before we started recording, and I said, not on my watch.
Speaker 2: I actually am. It's like one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Do you want to say what it was?
Speaker 2: I said, you know, we're getting prepared. Usually we'd explained the podcast of the guests. This time, none of them have ever listened. Sorry. I just had a moment in the middle of that sentence where I remembered I'm being recorded.
Speaker 1: Do you ever?
Speaker 2: I was just like I was truly on autopilot. I was like, all right, I should like try to be charming anyway. So I'm Andy Cohen and welcome to watch what Happens live?
Speaker 1: Or this is not how you act? What the hell whatever? Keep going?
Speaker 2: So I would say, I said, you know, I said to Josh, you know, you know the drill, like you know how this works. And Josh said, oh, I know the drill. The drill is a warm bath. The drill is a warm drill, and then, of course Josh wisely said that apples that's the title of Fiona Apple song. And here we are and here we are.
Speaker 1: So now that we've covered.
Speaker 3: That, what I think is, can I say something briefly, fine, so the listener remember in one thing and I'm done. Remember to the listener. Every beginning to you is actually in media stress to us, like you are seeing your hosts, your friends in the middle of something, and that is keep in throwing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you never done, I'm not going through. People don't give us enough credit for when we say podcast starts now, it actually started ten minutes before that.
Speaker 2: People don't give us enough credit for pretty much most things that we do. People don't realize that everything we do is an insurmountable mountain that we are in the middle of, bleeding from all holes and trying to climb. And at the peak it says, I heart music.
Speaker 1: I have to say that this run of recordings we have been, you know, it has I'm like, oh, is this what it's like to be Julia Roberts. You know, it's sort of like that like club Club Another Club, Airplane air.
Speaker 2: Julia Roberts famously Club Club Another Airplane's doing the midnight DJ set, she is going to the gay bar, she's performing at Fort Lauderdale Pride.
Speaker 1: I'm mixing metaphors and that's okay.
Speaker 2: What if they book Julia Roberts at Fort Lauderdale Pride and she did like the monologue from Pretty Women that but it was never explained.
Speaker 1: We actually need to talk about do gay guys care about Julia Roberts at all? What the hell? It's a valid question. I think she is not disrespected enough actually identity for gay guys to actually care that much.
Speaker 2: Visit.
Speaker 1: You are so right.
Speaker 2: She has never had an underdog narrative. Yeah, she she has been that girl from the beginning.
Speaker 1: So everyone's like, yeah, she's good, like she's beautiful, she's amazing, But there's not that emotional.
Speaker 2: No gay guy is saying, my favorite actress is Julia Roberts, even though of course when push comes to shove, she is one of the great American actresses.
Speaker 3: You know what they're saying, this will be brief, and then I'm okay, Josh, they're saying Aaron Brockovich is my favorite actress. They're not saying Julia Robert says.
Speaker 1: Because Aaron Brockwick is an Underdog.
Speaker 2: Thank Aaron.
Speaker 1: I'm done. I'm done. I won't talk. We can hate our guest today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like so annoyed.
Speaker 1: It's like we like, so what what What our listeners will understand is that the podcast actually starts tending this before. And what our guest doesn't understand is actually it started like way before he even got here.
Speaker 2: Like you think you're the third co host.
Speaker 3: You think you're just like just to sit here, to cook, to cut one to It's like I should get to come in at that point, but I just think, give me, let me key grip or something.
Speaker 2: You're ignoring the like do you want to check the shots?
Speaker 3: I would love to. I love to checking the gate. I die to check the gate.
Speaker 2: I think I do think there is something very particular about not having a role, you know what I mean, like being in a liminal space between roles. Before we started recording, you were the role of friend. When we introduce you, you will be in the role of guest. Right now you are nothing nothing.
Speaker 1: But is that sort of sensory deprivation in a way, like are you finally free?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's free, Well it's free, but in another sense, you keep fighting in a subspace.
Speaker 2: If you were actually trying to touch me, if you're actually feeling liberated, you would be basking in the silence. But I can see you wanting so badly to have a different role.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's he's asking for us to say?
Speaker 3: No, Piggy, I hope I've never brought in. Quite frankly, I think perhaps the whole episode exists in this.
Speaker 2: You know, we used to have the We used to have the brave read, the hutzpah and the punk rock sensibility to do that. Josh, what happened to our punk rock sinsibility?
Speaker 1: What? No?
Speaker 2: Because as soon as you said that, I went up with the iHeart Literally as soon as you said we should do the entire episode like that, my instinct was like, well, we can't. We should bring him in soon. Whereas if this was twenty twenty, if this was May twenty twenty, I would be like, that is so fucking badass, Like.
Speaker 1: Let's do it something really funny.
Speaker 2: Never introduced a topic. Never promote what you're here to promote exactly, which I'm not gonna say, no.
Speaker 3: Nora, I'm not on yet.
Speaker 1: Well, and why would we promote when our guest doesn't even hear.
Speaker 3: I'm not here, I'm not on, I don't exist.
Speaker 2: What were you gonna say?
Speaker 1: Last night, somebody said they'd been listening to us since twenty sixteen, and I was like, well, darling, we haven't been on since twenty We started in twenty twenty. Time is a flash.
Speaker 2: Well there is something about all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty was just twenty sixteen again, yeah, and twenty twenty four is just twenty sixteen again, Like we're just doing twenty sixteen. Hon over, it's gone a holl day but for twenty sixteen. But twenty sixteen drag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's finish.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's time to to twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: What do you make of this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Josh, be careful, Please be careful.
Speaker 1: That was hard to set up.
Speaker 2: So for anyone who's not watching on YouTube, where our numbers are plummeting, by the way, what Josh just did is, well, they.
Speaker 1: Can't plumb because they were never high.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, they were never high because we never promoted it, because we are sort of above it, and yet it's out there, and yet it's out there. So what Josh did for anyone not watching is he took the mic and actually physically moved it away from himself, so that even if he's tempted to participate in the conversation, he can't physically. So now he's sort of evoking a kind of meditation state that is actually it's actually being so jittery that it's almost like an argument against meditation.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like, oh damn, this guy really can't sit still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, oh my god, is he okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They don't let him is a hard no self harm incoming. I think we should bring in our guests. Please, welcome to the show, our dear friend and whose show is having a run Josh. By the time this is out, you will know all about it.
Speaker 3: You'll be all over www dot Josh sharp todaw dot com the site absolutely and where is it until all the time it's on the internet?
Speaker 2: Sweetheart? Where is where the show at.
Speaker 3: The Greenwich House? Some me all know what is the Barrow Street? Sweeney Todd in the Pie Shop, But it's at the Greenwich House Theater and beautiful West Village and locks And you're playing Stonewall, playing Sweeney, I'm playing Sweeney yeah, and missus Lovett and rap.
Speaker 2: You're playing just to be clear. This is one of those you know, like John Proctor is the villain and Juliet. This is one of these contemporary reboots of a classic musical that is the hero. Yes, Like it's more kind of like woke and LGBT. Right, So it's about.
Speaker 3: How a right to end at tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no Q.
Speaker 2: There's no I know, can.
Speaker 1: I actually be an issue with Q?
Speaker 2: Oh? Is your issue is a queer or is a question?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, but here's okay queer, right, but sometimes it's questioning.
Speaker 2: But this, I'm sorry, this instinct is so anti Q, Like Q is this all encompassing thing that is like what isn't Q?
Speaker 1: But Q being questioning? It's like I'm questioning if I'm even Q. Like that's such a crazy meta narrator.
Speaker 3: Show me someone who isn't question exactly if any of the letters and you're not Q questioning you haven't seen the matrix yet. Yeah, the point of being under the umbrellas that we see the matrix.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like the implication that if you're LGB or T you have this certitude. Yeah you're like, oh, yeah, I'm firmly B, I'm firmly G. It's like, no, you're not.
Speaker 1: The Q is like underneath all of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's the bedrock. It's the bedrock, Honey, it's the bedrock. Q is to be queer, which is to be LGBT.
Speaker 1: I M plus.
Speaker 2: You know, the question is the bedrock. The question is the bedrock. The drill is a warm bath lead single, The question is the bedrock, Josh.
Speaker 1: I have a question. I have a queue. When it comes to to.
Speaker 3: Rock me, bitch, go ahead and bed rock me up and down.
Speaker 1: I'm just a rock your damn bed with this one. Let's go insert. I can make your bedrock here. I you know, the punk ok sensibility is of course complicated because at this point you are trying to promote a show that actually you have been working on. It actually does have a week's long run and the months even months, which is one of the longest weeks we have, you know, I know, I know, And so it's sort of I feel sort of mixed. I'm doing a bit about the show and sort of misleading. No bits only, bits only. I mean, I don't care, we can.
Speaker 2: Do whatever, but you want to sell no tickets.
Speaker 3: I want to sell it. I think the bits sell the tickets.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, it's one of.
Speaker 2: The well, but only if you then follow up with what the show is like.
Speaker 1: You're not craving a like. But seriously, the shows about this and this and this. I think they want that your people. I don't fucking know what they want. We want our audience thinks we started in twenty sixteen. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're dealing with mentally. They're saying, get that orange cheeto out of the way.
Speaker 1: They're saying, get that cheat out.
Speaker 3: Pants suit Nation Rise saying, hey at pants suit Nation.
Speaker 2: I just discovered the podcast Stradio Lab These It's really amazing LGBTQ plus guys and they talk about politics, media, cultural criticism.
Speaker 1: They would not have.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 2: If you think we need to get this orange cheeto out of the way, it has you better give it a look.
Speaker 1: Like subscribe, like and subscribe. No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't have a strong feeling I feel.
Speaker 2: I I highly doubt that.
Speaker 3: I feel like we will talk as we or I guess the strong feeling is that we will talk as we That like for us to do a sort of you know, if we naturally do what's the show about?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: If we don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure they're gonna get it.
Speaker 3: They're gonna go to joshup to do dot com no matter what and find out what it is. But I guess canonically it's the off Broadway one man show that so many of our our peers and ancestors have done before us.
Speaker 1: You are stepping into a rich tradition.
Speaker 3: It's my iteration on that, you know what I mean. Yeah, And there's a bit of a Medican seat within it, so that it's not just me, you know, into the microphone for eighty minutes that doesn't and yet that is valid too. And I love some of those Ye for me and my own punk cruck sensibility, I said, I can't ultimately only do one of those.
Speaker 1: Is the sort of a thing happening? You know? This is something I wonder. Do you sometimes get suffocated by the punk fok sensibility to not do the thing that is the thing that everyone does.
Speaker 3: Yes, And this is deep therapy talk of like how much are you how much are you trying to explore a un exports space and how much are you just like standing in your own the way of your own success?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? How much are you going.
Speaker 3: This should be weirder, wilder instead of you know, ultimately.
Speaker 2: Just how much are you producing something and it's good? And how much? And yet you have the instinct to take a dump on it, to give it a twist.
Speaker 3: And for me, it's often not even taking a dump on it as much as it is what if you made it harder and more inaccessible and in a way that gets me going? But then I'm like, does anyone put you like this?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? This is really hard to tell. It's complicated. It's complicated. And we've answered that question as we're now normal on this podcast? Are we?
Speaker 2: Is this episode normal.
Speaker 1: Already abnormal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't introduced you.
Speaker 1: We haven't. We haven't even done the interviewl we kind of did we started.
Speaker 2: Well, what if we just sit in the space between introducing and not welcome to the podcasts? Sharp, Sam, this is he is so pansutonation right now. You need to, you know, sort of access this current state that we're in where there's no democratic you know what you need? You're still you're still nostalgic for Hillary.
Speaker 1: You guys just think if you didn'tvote for Jill Stein, like we would have a different country.
Speaker 3: Do you know what Sam needs to do that he's not doing?
Speaker 1: What question? You think I'm not on the fucking bed rock? You don't think I'm not rock bottom on this bed? Sam?
Speaker 2: Are you not questioning?
Speaker 1: I'm questioning everything.
Speaker 3: See, I'm asking the question and that was declarative, isn't that? So you're not questioning?
Speaker 1: Question mark?
Speaker 2: I'm not exclamation ever seen anyone? So first, Sam, are you're not question Are you not questioning?
Speaker 1: What about me makes you think I'm not? Oh? My god, you're not? Am I not doing it at all times? You're doing an imp of exercise. And don't think I don't know that. You think I don't know that that's a name, but my room. I'll honor my rooms.
Speaker 2: Wow to La and my present to stake a flag and say I know this. I can't think of anything more toxic and masculine.
Speaker 3: I know this anything more g quite frankly, yeah, yeah, wo G I thought you're a document GHP certitude of the gh you know what I mean, the G the wisdom of the l Oh my god, you guys, I just figured out what GQ stands for gay questioning When you're subscribing to GQ magazine you're subscribing to gay Question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it all. Guys. That's awesome because they're like, like, are you turned on by this? Yeah? For so many people, GQ was gay question.
Speaker 3: It was somebody of our community to get that and go, I'm receiving this modality different than my peers.
Speaker 2: No, you're getting the GQ and you're saying, I have received the subliminal messages you are sending me and I will be in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: And you're going, wait, you don't all receive this this way, like that moment that makes you realize you're the other queer Q queer, you know, it's like, you're right, it's gay questioning, it's questioning.
Speaker 1: I actually think this is one of the smartest things I've ever realized.
Speaker 2: That g Q is gay question.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the drill is a warm bath the.
Speaker 2: Gay question, because that's more Kim Petra's I'm sorry to say that GQ is gay questioning is a little more slow off Miami.
Speaker 1: That's that's been done at Rose. Yeah. Whatever that's good.
Speaker 2: Also, whatever that's good is whatever that that's good.
Speaker 3: Respect, respect, g g q's gay questioning, and all of this will be addressed in my show, which is Josh Sharp shada toda, which doesn't stand for anything.
Speaker 1: It's a word on its own. Yeah, are there multiple a's and tada? Is it liken be t a hyphen d a all owercase?
Speaker 2: Do you ever think of naming it tada for and it's like a pup?
Speaker 3: Oh God, call my lawyer. Is it too late to change? Oh? No, I've made I mean, see that version of the show. I'm selling out the Garden, Like what have I done? You have to have a pun in the time. Okay, I've got one to ghettoize myself at this at the famed Gritwich House when I couldn't be playing the Garden.
Speaker 1: Did you every think it was sort of going Chelsea Handler mode and calling it to darfour?
Speaker 3: Almost every day I wake up and consider going to the mode, and I'm waiting in the day that I do. It's over for y'all when I go Chelsea.
Speaker 1: I have seen you go Chelsea Handler mode in private spaces and I have burns from it.
Speaker 3: Well, you have to keep some things to yourself as a person in the public and the demi public, you have to keep some things for yourself, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, A whole, because these one hundred to two hundred people that know who we are, they'll take everything.
Speaker 3: Oh they'll take They'll rip you limb from limb.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding? Down to the bone. I saw what they did to Britney spears.
Speaker 3: Like a whale at the bottom of the ocean. Every bit of the ecosystem that is the Stradio Lab fan base comes in in their time, the predators, the Mitoplankton, all of it comes until you are not but carcass.
Speaker 2: They have been plotting since twenty sixteen. Trust Trust you don't think we know what the what? What the riots the January sixth started as it was literally in the Straighter Lab discord.
Speaker 1: It will live if you called your fans pantsuit nation. There's a world in.
Speaker 2: Winch the world and which that's another field a Apple.
Speaker 1: There's a world.
Speaker 2: There is a world in witch dot dot. It's actually one of those Fiona Apple tracks that's so long, you know how her album titles are so long. But then people abbreviate it as there's a witch do Yeah, there's like that. It's like it's like a poem she wrote, and then she did a little drawing next to it and it's dedicated to one of her dogs, the one that has a terminal illness, the one they all If you don't think, if you don't think every dog has a terminal illness, I don't know what to tell you don't know what to tell you. Clearly are not cute.
Speaker 1: Because I have not aled it, not one moment, to be honest, Like, being a dog is a terminal illness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, let's start there.
Speaker 1: The moment you have a dog, you're like, okay, clock stick in Yeah.
Speaker 2: The sands of the Sands of Time talk about dog like, is someone not comfortable when they don't have a role a dog, Like when that dog is between friend and guests, They're just like, but please give my life. Meeting this cat is the entire thing is cue. Cats are obviously the most cue. I mean they're just like.
Speaker 3: Well they derive ultimately like certitude from the questioning. You know they really the bad rock is strolling in cats. We know this, we know this, we know this, we know this, we know this.
Speaker 1: When I meet like a person with a puppy, like there is something sort of old show Girl where I'm like you just wait, yeah, yeah, like, oh god, I've seen it all Oh god, Yeah, you don't know what's about to happen to your life. And it's it's funny to be so young and to be able to have that perspective and have this fun and be so lucky and to be successful. I'm just dog.
Speaker 2: I have a dog who's old. Should we do our first segment?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, at.
Speaker 5: Last the bath has been drawn. I sink in deeper. I sink in deeper. Track hell today, Yeah, get thee to the Greenwich House.
Speaker 3: Get the pry abound at the Greenwich House seven times.
Speaker 2: A week, seven times a week.
Speaker 3: Because maybe too many times we were discussing this off, Mike, but I could bring it on. I've never done one of those runs, and it'll be curious to the something this is? Did you read Jack Novak's New Yorker piece when the special based on the show was coming out, Yes, I did. Something I loved was when she talked in about it, and this is good the cube the New Yorker integral to the topic we'll be discussing later. She talked about how she realized that doing an off Broadway run was her birthright, and I read that and went actually low key same and now here.
Speaker 1: We are well.
Speaker 2: No, it is sort of when are you going to be chosen? Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was already working on this show at the time, and I read that. I was like, wait, it should be one of those. It turned a page for me quite literally.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's nice. Huge. What's the journey for this thing you're making? I said, it's that.
Speaker 2: It's that wow.
Speaker 3: And then and then and then the producers abound.
Speaker 2: Oh, there are so many producers.
Speaker 1: Oh God, to have.
Speaker 3: A Mic and a Carlely. God, you'd be lucky to have a Mic or a Carley.
Speaker 1: Some people have both.
Speaker 2: You're sneaking in the more traditional promotion.
Speaker 3: I see you see how we're doing it in such a que way.
Speaker 2: That's such a cute.
Speaker 1: It's very sort of the Little Women reboot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and which is why non linear. Yeah, it's oh yes, nonlinear. It's gerwig as fuck the way I love.
Speaker 2: The Little Little Little Women reboot.
Speaker 1: It's so good. Okay, what else would we call it.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, there's a new miniseries that's great expectations, Like, oh, they're rebooting, great expectations.
Speaker 1: I'm being normal.
Speaker 2: So, Josh, our first segment, as you well know, is called straight Shooters and In this segment, we ask you a series of rapid fire questions to gauge your familiarity with in complicity and straight culture, where you have to choose one thing or another thing, and the one rule is you can't ask any follow up questions. Understand how the game works.
Speaker 3: Now's the time where Q becomes illegal.
Speaker 1: Sam, this is sort of the forties. This is yeah, okay, Josh, A watched pot never boils? Or can you watch my spot while I go to the toilet?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: A watched pot never boils?
Speaker 2: Roy g bib or boy please give, Boy, please give?
Speaker 1: French Revolution or NYC stench pollution, n icy stench pollution.
Speaker 2: J W. Anderson or d W from Arthur, d W from.
Speaker 1: Arthur good one though, okay? Pimple popping bids or simple topping tips.
Speaker 2: Popping bids, shopping at an H and M or choking on an eminem.
Speaker 1: Oh, choking on an M and M. Okay, defying gravity or implying you're mad at me, implying you're mad at me?
Speaker 2: No smoking or relax I was joking.
Speaker 3: Relax I was joking that before that was a particularly good round. So many of them evocative. A question will not be asked, but a statement will be made. So many of them colon evocative.
Speaker 2: That's another exact.
Speaker 3: The reviews are in so many of them evocative.
Speaker 2: So many of them colon evocatives. Wow, that's actually Kim just trying to do THEODA apple, but she like sort of doesn't quite get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly, if Kim p have a song called evocative.
Speaker 3: Or a cockativeative Cambridge like she does, like her sort of like literary horror album.
Speaker 1: The medium is the sensual massage. That's that's good.
Speaker 2: You could The medium is the massage she is writing down.
Speaker 3: Well, Josh stream, she's on the live streams. She is on the live stream and she's hard face.
Speaker 1: She's being like, seriously, you guys, you got a vote.
Speaker 2: Kim has been listening since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was who I talked to last night, was Kim. She came out to me and she was like, I've always loved you since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: So Joshree rank each guest's performance on a scale of zero to one thousand doves. But now it's Blades of Grass and oulating on the album.
Speaker 3: Well and Walt Whitman, of course, no, he is the original cruising queer. Let's say that all y'all, all y'all Sniffies Queen's give it up to Walt Whitman.
Speaker 1: He invisaged.
Speaker 2: Whitman would have absolutely gone off on.
Speaker 1: No. He was literally like creating a location, being like it's the creek with all the boys that are shirtless white.
Speaker 3: Literally, the original Sniffies was blades of Grass. Let's say, wow, the original original sniffs was blades of And that's.
Speaker 2: A perfude genius track.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm fast, I contain multitudes of Sun's whole loads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Oh, I'm seeing our coffee is all flying.
Speaker 1: In coffee, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, oh this, oh my god, this so this I say this.
Speaker 1: Hey, cheers, cheers, cheers. Girls.
Speaker 2: Damn now you're left out. It's speaking, Oh my god, under your breath. Speaking of this has aaron to My favorite thing is that part?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I love just to put sort of like a three year delay on lexicon for the most yes, yes, but it's like the things that are happening now in conversation for the most part. First of all, it's all a la carte. If you're slavishly devoted to every bit that the kids are saying, Oh, it's pathetic. You pick what works for you. But often I'm putting them in a little lock box. Twenty sixteen, I'm putting them in a lock box and I'm saving them for three years from now. And that's one where I'm like, finally, let's do.
Speaker 2: I think I'm ready to do that part that Sam has a theory.
Speaker 1: I have a really exciting theory that I think you're gonna like, I think yos Queen is about to come back.
Speaker 3: See that's what I mean. We're getting the port who I'm like, absolutely, I'm down for that.
Speaker 1: When I heard I because I'm in a hotel currently and they have like in the elevator they have all these like fake buttons that have like letters on them and then some of them are highlighted and it says yas Queen, And I was like, that is the funniest thing I've I love ever seen. I love it. It's so back.
Speaker 3: If you looked at my phone, the amount of alarms are set. It's all alarms for four years from now. Remember to bring back this.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Well, you're like an archivist, you'reeling it's overheating it is hot to the touch my device because of how many long term alarms I have set to remember these things.
Speaker 2: So give us an give us sort of an idea of what types of things are you seeing maybe in the coming year, Oh that are going to make a comeback? Like I'm like, okay, so, yas queen, what else from that era? I mean, are we talking? Boob pillows are coming back? Like a pillow that has that's good line drawings of boobs? Are we talking or is it?
Speaker 1: Like I wonder if there's this is sort of akin to yas Queen. It's a little further back, like is bacon core? Like?
Speaker 3: Oh being like, can I have to say I've always loved yes queen with an M at the end?
Speaker 1: Something about that is really right to me?
Speaker 2: Ques answer Queen queen a questioning. It's not queen or queen. Actually that is the spectrum is QQQ queer question and Queen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Monny, I know where you're starting, I know where you're end. And I won't say them because I know them and you should know them. Should what do we think is coming?
Speaker 1: Or no?
Speaker 3: You know you go something now I was gonna I was gonna go what do I think is coming back, but I don't have the answer in my head right now.
Speaker 1: And this is one of those that's a question that Q is so answer based that I do think is somewhat illegal for a podcast when when you're asking a question that that requires an answer.
Speaker 2: Well, I also think there needs this.
Speaker 1: We could dissect the answer the question. This ideeah is fruitful because I do love like obviously you have to ask a questions.
Speaker 2: Di Sect is another Kim Petra's track Sect and it's sort of a you know, analysis of texts.
Speaker 3: Also, this is another Dick one, so they went yours is probably better.
Speaker 2: No, if you know her work, she's gonna have two Dick ones in a row.
Speaker 1: Do we Diximal System? Yeah? Okay, Ideology spot that's the lead single and actually has a little musicality. Yeah, yes, that's kind of nice. Oh that's good.
Speaker 2: So my thing here's where I'm struggling with trend based stuff is like trend forecasting is over, you know what I mean, And yet I know, I know, I know, but it's like, but that's that's the bind we find ourselves and you want to engage in the Jois de Vive of trend forecasting and the like gay guy play that is like this is coming back, this is so five years ago.
Speaker 3: You know what you're doing. You're not trends forecasting. You're doing the ultimately queer act of reading the vibe. You know, you're catching a vibe. Yeah, and as cues we are trained.
Speaker 1: To catch a vibe.
Speaker 3: You're you're reading GQ and you're catching a vibe that only is for you message.
Speaker 1: That's only for you? Is it just me? Or is this gay questioning?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I think you're catching a vibe? You know how?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, should we get into our topic? Sure, Josh, what topic did you bring today? And what straight about it? Well, we have the New Yorker to think.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's not the New Yorker, though, Has anyone done the New Yorker That would be good?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Actually New Yorker told well, we did toads, but mostly the New Yorker.
Speaker 2: One of our recent guests is a staff writer of The New Yorker. Her topic, did they write the article that I'm going to rep sadly know?
Speaker 1: Too bad? Actually I should know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, there was a.
Speaker 3: Few topics I was considering, and then there was an article today about the band Fish, and I found myself crying at it, and then I was like, maybe we have to talk about fish.
Speaker 2: Let's shout out. And then the lgbgq BOS creator who wrote it, Amanda pet troys, Oh, yes, they're a music critic. Yeah, yeah, no, she's she's great.
Speaker 1: So I think I think we should get into fish.
Speaker 3: So Fish, But I've learned in our prediscussions are off, Mike, that's now on that this is a this is a really foreign topic for you and a mostly foreign topic for you. Yeah, yeah, what do you know, let's start there.
Speaker 2: I would say there are certain.
Speaker 1: Things that's something you've give an A.
Speaker 2: No, no, totally.
Speaker 1: There are some a's are easier than others.
Speaker 2: There's something very comforting to me about knowing that certain things are like not for me, not for me at the base level, but then on top of that, also not for me to criticize or judge or respond to.
Speaker 3: Like Fish is something I love about the space. It's sort of hermetically sealed, and and that's exactly it.
Speaker 2: I actually there was a time in my life where I felt musical theater was that, but then late in life I have actually become involved.
Speaker 3: I think there's profound similarities.
Speaker 2: Betwe profound similarities. Actually, I would say anything involving the Winter Olympic other than ice skating. Anything involving the Winter Olympics for me is that like I don't relate to it. To me, the Sumber Olympics or ancient Greece, that's my culture. I've never found out what bob sledding is or losing or anything like that, Like, nor do I think it's good or bad, Like, it's not for me to judge.
Speaker 1: You don't watch cool runnings, don't even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: What formative text to me the nineties Disney Family comedy about Jamaican Bob sled team. That's that's what really implanted her. Because I was gonna say, I agree with your sentiment. But as soon as you said that Bob sledting, I said that I know intimately that's me too.
Speaker 1: It's so important running. There was a lot of child media about Winter Olympics. There was a lot of ice skating movies. You already accepted ice skating.
Speaker 2: I've exempted ice skating, of course, my point being that I have.
Speaker 1: I held the record show we've exempted ice skating.
Speaker 3: And Sam and Josh have excepted Bob Sledding under the Cool Runnings clause.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Bob Sledding is another track off of slipt Up Norway, which is her winter theme pop Oslow. Okay, So the point being, I have known Fish is one of those things that you're born knowing. You are born knowing that Fish exists and that the thing with is that people follow them on tour and it's like a culture and you're either a part of it or you're not. Uh, And that's it.
Speaker 1: And I pretty much know the same thing, except I did listen to a comedy podcast about Fish Scott Ackerman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't listen to it, but he is a fan. He's a fan, and and he's talking to someone else who's not a fan and sort of explaining it.
Speaker 1: Harris, we're doing our cover of the We're doing our cover. Harris Whittles is the fan, and he's teaching Scott Ackerman to like it.
Speaker 2: So you like, listen and what it and uh, was it compelling to.
Speaker 1: It was compelling? I mean I never know a lot. Actually I never learned to. I never like downloaded an album and listened to it. But I did hear a lot about it.
Speaker 3: Well, and the truth is, I'm going to be a lot more cue than Wittles. I'm not here to convince you to like it, do you know what I mean. I'm here for us to swim, swim, to play around in this pool. I don't wouldn't say I like it anymore. What made me weep today was just remembering my former self, like remembering the me who was obsessed with them. And actually I can still I'll go like every two years and sort of have a nostalgia trip, but I'm not an active participant in the space anymore. Definitely, I remember being the only gay person in the room of twenty thousand, Like it is just literally a decidedly straight space. Yeah, but upon processing, there are some like queer elements, but done in a very straight way, you know what I mean. Like we said, there's like a drug and a party culture, but also none of them are grooming or bathing.
Speaker 2: Well, there's also a community based element to it that is very like queer co op pot luck.
Speaker 3: Absolutely that it does feel like it's a space for a certain type of straight person who is like this society is not for me to like jump over. While still never once dabbling in GQ.
Speaker 2: I mean it's literally a safe space.
Speaker 6: It is a space space for straight yes, you know, yeah, boy on girl and girl on boy oriented people to do a lot of the other broader cultural.
Speaker 1: Queue that we do as cues. You know. I sometimes do feel bad for these types of strait because they don't have much.
Speaker 3: Well, there are a few scenes a lot of their musical I'm really staying like there's like like hardcore is like such a straight scene, but also really weirdly very gay Australian rugby. You know, men who become so masculine they double back around and they're like, oh yeah, I'll like grab my buddy's cock. But I've I've never once had sex. I've never once thought a single sexual. I've not done an iode of GQ. You know, it's like there's there's places for them.
Speaker 1: You know. I just realized we need to reframe the entire gay straight thing. So now it's not gay straight anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So the entire prem now.
Speaker 1: It's Q and A.
Speaker 3: You're either question or answer. So the new podcast is called a e O LAP.
Speaker 1: Called Lap. Old McDonald had a farm ah.
Speaker 2: By the way, Q and A parentheses. Queath and ass is also another track off of Kim Petris La Pop Cambridge. So I, first of all, of course love this.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It begs the question in defining Q and A, are we creating another binary that is even more rigid?
Speaker 1: What's the liminal space between Q and A?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What is? You know what it is? It's a yes, and it's a statement that ends in ellipses, like it's like that Q ends in a question mark, A ends in a period.
Speaker 1: It's sort of the liminal space is the amper sand WHOA, it's.
Speaker 2: Already in it.
Speaker 3: The options are Q, A or and that's true and no one's even seeing And as the third option, it's right there. Yeah, but we needed to be expansive because it can't just be we can't make it a you know, A try on me anymore. Like it's like, you know, we can't we can't make it three. That's the same, You're on the right path. We have to find a way to break apart it as the third.
Speaker 2: And is the amper stand in in assigning it the role of the third option? Aren't we othering it? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But it is the continuation literally, and is the ellipsis yeah, dot dot dot and what else? You know, say more on that? Yeah, say more on that. The end is say more, right, and so the idea of like always exploring, say more, you're you're seeking, You're seeking.
Speaker 1: That's the end.
Speaker 2: Here's a question for you, though, absolutely isn't that the queue literally seeking more? What is it?
Speaker 3: And I guess what the queue is inherently asking for is the A? You at a certain point stop talking to get the A. Maybe the end is just you know, we're just we're we're riding the way.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you think the A is the more limiting option the cue. There's actually something about the queue that is like demanding an answer.
Speaker 1: The queue has to stop for the A to exist. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the oh my god.
Speaker 1: The queue has to go.
Speaker 3: The que is going and oh oh oh okay, I guess it's me now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Q is an accusation. Accusation, thank you, thank c And by the way, you're well dash c U M, which is another track off of Yeah Pop Cambridge.
Speaker 1: That's that's slut Pop Manners Edition. Yeah, you're welcome slip pop Dear Abby or whatever. Yeah, it's like like that's that's there's track on it called That's My Tossed Salad Fork. That's that me tossed salad fork.
Speaker 2: That's that me tost salad Forks featuring Sabrina Carpenter.
Speaker 1: Actually, absolutely absolutely, it's an interpolation.
Speaker 3: Oh the way this has my lips chapped, that's when you know it's good.
Speaker 1: The lips are chat.
Speaker 3: That's when you know it's good. Watcher listeners. That was to the watchers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so call them listeners and watchers we don't do, okay, so you love we don't. That was so a of you that really, Yes, he gave me a cue. I had to give an a like he was literally being like gun to my head, that's.
Speaker 2: What you called, And I said, no, but this is I'm really it's like you think the A is the oppressive one. No, the Q is what is oppressing the A. And to give me a declarative.
Speaker 1: Statement, I mean many straight people would argue that is true.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's that is. It's it's like the straight people are the ones that are.
Speaker 3: Pressed, done, done hits end, which is why they take refuge and fish is why.
Speaker 2: And I not to be so uh standard Q and A. I do want to sort of go back to basics, and I kind of want to give you a platform. Yeah, it talks a little bit about Fish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do feel like a lot of like being a closeted high schooler in rural North Carolina, it was a big part of developing my personality, not just Fish, but just like like driving to Ashville and seeing third tier jam bands at the Orange Peel was how I was like, I am a person. You know, I exist, I've been intro and I've been brought on, you know what I mean. It's like that, really, so I would this is the primer. Let's try to make it as succinct as possible, and we're gonna go We're gonna little women reboot it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go out of time.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna I'm not We're gonna start in the middle, as the podcast does.
Speaker 2: Josh, I just want to say if you if you start in the beginning, I would tell you to get out of your care and leave the idea that you would come to this podcast and do linear storytelling as though you are, like.
Speaker 3: It's insulting. I even it's insulting to the cubes and cut this part of the episode because it's insulting. Cut this part of the episode and put it at the end. By the way, accountability, keep this part of the episode. Cut the part where I said cut it, but keep it.
Speaker 2: And the idea that you're coming in and you're saying, you know, a normal person would do linear, but I'm gonna do wist. That's like you. It's like very Sam Smith saying, am I the first gay person to win?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly, Like it's.
Speaker 3: Like not to being different, Yeah, not even this kind of other people do what you're doing.
Speaker 2: It's called conversation. Yea, Like no one is actually going on exactly, So you're so right.
Speaker 3: So what you know about them is sort of tapping into when the Grateful Dead ended because Jerry died in ninety five, Fish, who was already like a really burgeoning popular band, had started to like play arenas became like mega successful because their fans were like, we need to fuck to them.
Speaker 1: But actually they were rather different.
Speaker 3: They're very similar in cultures but different in musical construct. They both improvise, so they do a lot of improv which you all know as not to UCB training.
Speaker 1: I celebrate and much more free form.
Speaker 3: It's actually more of a jazz style than a UCB Amy Poeller told you the rules, so you know what I mean. Like it's it's very it's very free form, but it's very yes andy okay. And so thus there's this culture of people who are chasing the dragon because not only do you hear a song more than once, and it can go very different directions. You know, you're trying to see Sandino do the perfect chessboard, Herald Honey preaching to the damn choir, you understand. But also so they then sort of extrapolate that on creat a broader culture where like for them, the shows are very long, like four and a half hours, so they're like an experience, and if you could see them every night for a week, they don't repeat a song, so you just hear every show is literally quite different structurally, and then also even if it were the same show played twice, which they never would do, they like embrace the energy of the space and let it go different places. But musically, The Grateful Dead was basically like a folk band who then were like, it's pretty easy to just like take LSD and riff on these two courts from they sort of started as a prog band and we're writing these intensely composed, like crazy epic suites that were psychotic and then finding out how to improvise within them, which is like a weird gnashing of dualities. So musically, but also if you told me this is unlistenable, I'd be like valid. I get there's a high bird hurdle to get into it, and then when people do, you're down bad for it. Yeah, And it's half that part of straight people's brain, like baseball, where you're like, I need to memorize every statistic.
Speaker 1: There's a there's an obsession your list observe. It's obsessive.
Speaker 3: It's obsessive, and there's a there's a lot of in culture stuff, as we know from Yas Queen that part. There's all of these things that only this culture knows that are fostered by the band to the audience and vice versa. I like, literally do gags with the bands. I have a cue that demands an a what's their yas Queen?
Speaker 1: Oh great point.
Speaker 3: And I know actually that one of one of the people in this room is more actively in fish. So you can gut check me. At any point, would you say it's would you fec driving to a frenzy. Is that their yas Queen.
Speaker 1: That's one of the big ones.
Speaker 3: One of their most epic songs has this sort of undecipherable lyric that's just sounds that people are always starting trying to figure out what it actually is and then they've never explained it. But people have a lot of theories of what they're trying to say. And it's definitely a shorthand for like knowing the band.
Speaker 1: Okay, so okay, So for like a You're like there for four plus hours, you're like doing drugs and You're like, I'm crazy. I've never been anywhere like this, like where part of what feels straight to me about it and I'm down to be wrong because I'm just shooting in the dark. Is it sexless?
Speaker 3: Are people hooking up sexless? That's interesting sexless? Wouldn't you agree? Sexless?
Speaker 7: I don't think fish is that straight?
Speaker 2: Oh interesting?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Well, but I think of the amount of straight people, which is profound and overwhelming, you know what I mean. But you're right, there are a lot of overlaps because it's it circles back this thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, any stub of any subculture is exacterently to be so basic apparently queer because it is like outside the main stream.
Speaker 3: But they're the most successful indie band of all time, you know what I mean. It's like they can they can sell thirteen knights in a row at the garden and aren't on a label. You know, nobody listens to their They've never had a pop they've never had a radiohead ever.
Speaker 1: So which is that is what's.
Speaker 2: Most intriguing about them to me is like everything else that is a subcult you can at least point to. Like the one time they were mainstream.
Speaker 3: They had a very brief moment of trying it yeah, and the record did like okay, but didn't do anything. And then they turned in the next record. This guy referenced in The New Yorker, I'm like, here's the next one, and the air and our person was not just like this is a bad direction. He was like, I refuse to even try to do so. Then they're like, all right, well never wine. They didn't even give notes. They're like, no notes, cut and run.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, here's my theory. Ready, Okay they are It's not like a band in the classic sense. It's a theater show about a band in a way.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean one of his early pieces, this guy was writing sort of like this like fantasy musical that he did dissertation stereophonic fantasy. Yeah, exactly. And so I think there's always and he's now since written musicals. Like a lot of it is drawing from that space of like narrative world building. You know, characters, there's characters and songs. There's like you know, yeah, there there's a certain state of play, profoundly, oh god, profoundly a state of play. There's a lot of that because again they're like one improv is like we're playing together. And then they then wanted Also they have a light sky who's like known in the business for being the best at what he does. Because you see most big arena stadium shows, they're programmed to hell, you have like ninety thousand pre program cues. He goes in with I think normally like four and improvises the rest of it. And so he is working these massive lights and improvising with him. So then sometimes they're doing things musically and he responds to it or vice versa. He'll do lights and they'll go, we should play along to that. Then they extrapolated that to the audience. There was a time they literally would throw four big balls in the audience, each of which represented a band member, and only play when an audience member touched it, because they're like, we want you to play us. And that's become a thing where they're always like, how do we make you as active a participant in this as we are? That literal sense of play.
Speaker 1: That's a sense of play. I like that. It reminds me of like me at over the eight, like there's something.
Speaker 3: No, it's very over the eight coded which and then there's all these facts you would know or do you know that like in the Y two K not to bring it.
Speaker 1: Back to twenty sixteen, but in the nineteen ninety nine was right exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you know that they did a concert on New Year's Eve that was the biggest attended New Year's Eve event in the world.
Speaker 1: Was it in a it in Florida?
Speaker 7: It was a big Cypress Native American.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, a seminal like reservation in Florida. And they had like hundreds of thousands of people there and they played ninety They played all night. They started at ten and played until like eight am the next morning.
Speaker 1: After the sun came out that that's rave culture. That's rave culture. Do they wear diapers?
Speaker 2: So here's my question.
Speaker 7: The first New Year's they played at the Boston Garden, eleven fifty they went backstage and like eleven fifty three they came out of.
Speaker 1: Divers, folks, they're wearing diapers. But that was as a bit right, it.
Speaker 7: Was there, like first ever New Year's game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now they do gags every New Year's. It's always a big surprise because they literally do like a theatrical thing as as part of the show. So people come every New year as being like, what's the guy going to be? And they actually like make a you know, like an opera or whatever. Oh yeah, look, well this is really shocking.
Speaker 2: I'm like getting frustrated that all these people are having more fun than me.
Speaker 3: Well that's what I actually do. That's something I realized too when I actually the part that made me cry was him thinking about his sobriety. He was talking about a sobriety really poetically.
Speaker 1: But when did he become sober?
Speaker 3: The band like busted up because he became so drop. I mean many reasons. I think the operation got too big and they had like fifty people to employ, and then it was like, oh, you have to keep doing this, and then the lead guy was like doing opiates and heroin and stuff, and so like that became unsustainable. So they like briefly broke up. And when was that two thousand and four. Yeah, to have a fact checker, this is tough.
Speaker 1: I feel like that you this is tough because you're literally now being no, I'm this is I have to have the right as you have. It's become an a podcast. I have to have the right a's you have to.
Speaker 3: But this is what media needs fact checkers in the room. Are we talking about? I mean, this is twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: If us.
Speaker 3: Fact checked me, like we should that Cheetoh if.
Speaker 2: You haven't, if you haven't heard of Cambridge Analytica, you're only getting half the story.
Speaker 1: Cambridge Anaclitica.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. That's literally best one out of out of slaptop Cambridge literally Cambridge Anaclitica. Wow, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Then like two years after the breakup, he got arrested with like heroin and pills in his car, and apparently it was just like everybody says, like the the most kind and gracious person to ever be arrested, because I think he was like finally, thank you, thank you. And then he tells the story about then he was on like he managed to avoid jail by doing basically house arrest and like got an apartment next to the jail and couldn't.
Speaker 1: Have a car.
Speaker 3: Apparently they like worked it out with a judge where he was like, I'm gonna do two years of community service and I'm gonna live by the jail and and he said it was like the most like beautiful, humbling experience. Because he's still Vermont, he's a rock star. People are coming up, like Trey from Fish. He's like, I'm scrubbing toilets and being like thank you. And then he said his kids would come and visit them on the weekends and they look back and say it was the best part of their lives because before that he was on tour and doing drugs. And he's like this part where I cry.
Speaker 1: To that that's pretty much.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: But then it got me just thinking about the time of my life when I cared about this stuff and I don't anymore. And that's you know, that's what changed. Oh, that's a great question.
Speaker 1: You became gay that I became gay.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I became gay and I said, wait, there's a different version of this, and it's.
Speaker 1: And I can have sex there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can get your dick sucked if you do this in Berlin. It's literally all the same things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is kind of a bummer. I've been thinking about what gay takes from me, what g takes away from me. Where now I am just like, well, I could be doing this, like I could be getting into this niche subculture, or I could go somewhere and probably have sex. Oh well, these are connected.
Speaker 3: The part I was going to say is I do now, looking back, love and appreciate it even more now that I think they're even lamer. That it's like an uncool space because so much of queer spaces are about the currency of cool.
Speaker 1: It's an arms race.
Speaker 3: It's an arms race for cool, and that theirs is basically everybody agreeing, like, so you're lame, like I'm lame, and it's having.
Speaker 2: So much thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, it's so that that is admirable. We should bring that to our Q spaces.
Speaker 1: We should bring up some Q spaces. But then but we you and I try to do this when we celebrate what we call Philly. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Can we explained this theory to George Philly not real Philly. This is I don't know the down just to warn the watchers cost about to be coastal elite, but in a way that doubles back and becomes praise. So this is Australian rugby. All right, So this is so straight it's gay trust us.
Speaker 2: Coastal Elik is one of the tracks that like Coastal a lick my cock, my cock.
Speaker 1: So Kat Constal that's featuring k Yeah, okay, So Philly is a real city. That's what this theory is based off. Yeah, and Philly rules, Philly places to go. And I specifically love the gay bars in Philly because they have this like they remind me of like when I was twenty one and going to like sort of a lame gay bar in Chicago and like dancing and let me just gout in music with like my girlfriend. Can I introduce something that we can all use because I love to use this conversation lame open parenthesis, complimentary close parenthesies.
Speaker 3: We're not saying it pejorative lame. Okay, good, this is lame as in good.
Speaker 1: And so now that I'm so when you go to Philly, you kind of experience these types of bars and they're too big for some reason. The liminal space.
Speaker 3: You're unwatched, you're not in the arms race.
Speaker 1: It's you're not the arms race at all, and you're finally free.
Speaker 3: Not a single is there, No one could care.
Speaker 1: They're putting Bruno mars On. Literally that's the liminal space and you're dancing to it. And so now whenever we're in a space that is uncool, we both bond on really enjoying that and we say, yes, it's Philly specifically where you have the can we dox them?
Speaker 3: I feel like we should dox them, but this is again doxing complimentary. Sometimes we go to Metro, which is my favorite gay bar, but because there's some newer girls in the neighborhood who the quote unquote cool people want to go to, they're not going to Metro anymore, and it's Philly.
Speaker 2: It's Philly. I love Metro is now Metro we go there and I'll talk to it. I'm one of the girls who is no longer going to Metro and haven't been actually docks them.
Speaker 1: What the actually an animal because of cool the cool list.
Speaker 2: But it's not even just that. It's like a return to like Christopher Street for me to like, it's a I would actually Jesus is number one. Well, this is obviously number one, and that's not even that exists outside of the cool uncool spectrum. That's it. I'm even going to like Julius. I just went to the Monster. I'm going to pieces.
Speaker 1: Here's the monster and going to pieces.
Speaker 2: I've been to pieces recently.
Speaker 1: What queens are you seeing?
Speaker 2: I don't remember what her name was, but she was okay.
Speaker 3: It's a great trag show. Say more on that. I don't remember her name, but she was okay. That is such a great But that wasn't the ax.
Speaker 2: But there wasn't anything about because there is this when it comes to uncool gay spaces. If it's long enough ago, then you are basically like wearing an Act up T shirt and pretending it's the eighties.
Speaker 1: Metro is that part, you know, it's like, but I think that is that part. It's like, it's not is yes, Queen Metro Meros twenty ten Ya kitchen is yes. Queen Metro is that part, and that is fun.
Speaker 2: And that's the final frontier, because when are the cool gay guys gonna suck at the fuck up and go to Hell's kitchen?
Speaker 1: Well, when it doesn't take a fucking hour to get there. That's why let's.
Speaker 3: Start with Christopher Street, and let's start with Josh Sharp, Toda, Josh dot Com, mere blocks from christ I'm loving how non Le start there with what we get these gay guys to do? Bring back Duplex, Bring bring back, bring back Duplex. Do you know how much of the scene that you love The podcast cup Ball is born of Duplex.
Speaker 1: In anyways, the.
Speaker 2: First time I ever did a half hour of comedy was at the Duplex. Thank you, leplit a bill with my friend Julia Claire. We did half hours together and the show is called George Severis and Julia Claire Colon. That's a stretch that love love it, love love it.
Speaker 3: It birthed Aaron and I mean UCB did. But when we were like what if we like broke out at UCB we hosted our variety show at the Duplex.
Speaker 1: Cole was running there.
Speaker 3: Like the hit show at the Duplex for a long time was cool. Cole was like paying the bills at Duplex so think.
Speaker 2: The way if you want to learn more about that. Jeffrey Self's book of essays, Jeffrey describes the duplex era and working with Oh I would love first essay. You don't even have to read the whole.
Speaker 1: Book, So Christopher Street. Yeah, but this is to the Philly.
Speaker 2: This is the Philly of it all.
Speaker 1: Yes and yeah, so Philly the non cool gay guys is a movement that we actually do believe in, and so we're trying to push that.
Speaker 3: And not to be binary about it because actually, now I'm gonna sort of do the opposite, right, say, like the in between spaces what I don't like. But in these kind of things, there are certain places that are actually cool. You're at a certain like warehousey Rave, and you're like, you've nailed the cool assignment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then there are the Philly spaces where it's like you are owning your uncoolness. It's these places that think they're cool and they're not that are living in the what is the you know this thing in relief when it comes to gay space, I mean, is it now the amper sand is bad where.
Speaker 1: I'm like you need to just be it or not it? Can you describe what a place that thinks it's cool but isn't feels.
Speaker 2: Is that Hell's Kitchen?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: Is Hell's Kitchen the medium? And that's why it's sort we don't know what to do with it because there is it is Hell's Kitchen is attempting to be the gay spot. Yeah, that is its goal.
Speaker 3: It's there's a tackiness but without any camp. Yeah right, yeah, And there's there's sort of a and I'm not against basicness, like, as we know, basicness can be there's beauty and simplicity. But there's a time that has no queue. So I should say there's a type that has no queue. There's a type of basic where it's like, oh, you haven't considered anything outside of the slang and that that you've like considered it all and gone. What if I embrace the basic? You are only there no.
Speaker 2: C And in this narrative, is Philly only there no cue? Or his Philly considered?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Don't you feel like Philly has sort of considered I think Philly has considered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Philly has seen what cool could be and said I'm good. Yeah, I think they ride with my friends. Yeah. Yeah, it's like I don't need to do all that. There's a maturity to Philly. There's a maturity to Philly. Well birth our nation. You see that big old cracked bell. You see that nation came out of that hole. You know there's a maturity.
Speaker 2: You know what it is, cracked bell, it's bell, it's American standards.
Speaker 3: Competrious Philly, cracked my bell, crack my bell, open bitch, slapt pop Philly, Philly.
Speaker 1: Now that I want to be Oh my god, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Do you think Philly is Lana del Rey dressing normal but not as an ironic hipstery thing. It's like she has decided she has seen what cool is. She's been dressed by all the big designers, and now she is shopping at Target. I know, don't Okay?
Speaker 1: I think Philly is almost Kelly Clarkson.
Speaker 2: Kelly Clarkson.
Speaker 3: Yes, here's the thing that I think is wrong, but I'm gonna say it. Or is Philly Tate McCrae. And then you go, wait, you know Arca, We're like I knew I like something about totally.
Speaker 1: Oh you're friends with ARCA.
Speaker 2: But I think that is more.
Speaker 1: I didn't you.
Speaker 3: Didn't give friends with Arca to me. Don't you think that that is that's the maturity.
Speaker 1: No, that is the maturity.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, yeah, because.
Speaker 1: Kelly Clarkson's not totally right either. I'm trying to think what is right Natalie and Bruglia, Katie.
Speaker 2: I mean, is it Adele? Oh?
Speaker 1: Maybe Philly is Adele, but that's because I don't identify with Adele. That is tough, and I do identify with phil what's keeping you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: What is keeping?
Speaker 1: I love it though, I'm just like, actually, yeah, I mean she's fine, like it's it doesn't inspire hatred or love, but you don't. What about Bruno Mars?
Speaker 3: Does I feel like spire? I ride for Bruno acts a hot take? Say that you remember this? Erah, this is the duplex Aara say he was better for than Lady Gaga would be like song for a song, name me a Gaga song and there's a better Bruno song.
Speaker 1: I don't say by that. It was just fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've sort of agreed with it, but I do ride for Bruno.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I think I think Bruno is is properly Philly. I think that is a good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Bruno is Philly. Yeah, what is pink?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: God, there's something Midwestern about Yeah, there's something Midwest.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to go ahead and play pink after the Bruno in Philly.
Speaker 1: Well, they're gonna play it. But she doesn't. She doesn't symbolize the whole city is Philly.
Speaker 2: Rupol's drag race, mm.
Speaker 3: When twenty sixteen, Yeah, krupas drag Race twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: It's season A.
Speaker 2: It's bringing out the signs that say vote dot org.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's Bob winning after Violet vote dot org.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? You know, it to me is an essential Okay, here's another. Okay, I'm tying it to Fish ready, good, Okay, Philly.
Speaker 3: And if you read it with Josh up Toada too, if you pull that trifecta, that's gonna be funny.
Speaker 1: Well, this is on you. Potentially. Something that is always a sign of Philly, like a true, tried and true sign of Philly is walking around with shot glasses that are in like neon. Oh yeah, when I see that, I say, I am safely mark my location as in Philly, marked as safe from Hartly test tubes. And I actually think Fish is also they don't do shot glasses and test tubes. But the culture is similar.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely they do nitrous they do. They're sucking out of the balloons from the dentist, you know what I mean, that's the that's the shot glass of the fish scene.
Speaker 2: It's sucking out of my loons. Is another track Slap Pop Philly.
Speaker 1: What about Philly? Is you think?
Speaker 2: What about Philly's balloons? Do we think? And now we're back to Fiona Apple.
Speaker 1: Now that's nonlinear question asking that's.
Speaker 2: You are amper standing boots with that one part that.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to know what, like, are you going to try to incorporate something to symbolize to your the attendees of your show that you're there in Philly.
Speaker 3: Well, the Christmas Street of it all, it's so easy to do a two show night. Or you're seeing josharp Toda and then Holly box s brains at pieces, you know what I mean? Like you could see an incredible queen or George would call them okay, and I'm not that's not a subweet at the queen I named earlier.
Speaker 2: I'm just you know, subtit by the way.
Speaker 1: Sub my tit did.
Speaker 3: You could see an incredible pieces drag queen post show any night of the week. You could go to Duplex and sing Roses Turn any night after, both before and after my show. Yeah, so it is sort of right in the peak neighborhood for for the Monster at all.
Speaker 1: You know why Fish doesn't connect with gay people? What, like, how do I say this?
Speaker 2: There's no like, I.
Speaker 1: Know there's a lead guy, but like he's not a diva.
Speaker 3: No, And it's a collective even though he's profoundly the lead guy. It's with a lot of like we I have built this machine and we're all evil parts. Yes, I'm the architect, but you know gay.
Speaker 1: People need like a hierarchy.
Speaker 2: Well yes, no, but there is something almost anti anti branding and anti capitalist about the whole machine because, for example, with The Grateful Dead, you might not know anything, but you know the Teddy Bears, the Rainbow the Rainbow Bears dancing around, Like do.
Speaker 1: You even know the Fish logo? Do I? That is? This is so cool? I literally don't.
Speaker 2: What is this is that?
Speaker 3: Maybe this speaks to it because something else they talked about the article is at the time they were getting big, they just talk about how much when like most bands, when they finally have like access, they would like make use of things. But they're like, oh, finally we have the freedom to do say not all the stuff.
Speaker 1: We want to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for thirty years they've demanded that every venue they're in, any forward facing ads to the audience are covered, so people go early and cover with curtains any like billboards or advertisements in the space.
Speaker 1: They're like, you should not come in and see like a coke ad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool, and every venue does it because they sell a billion tickets. So there's things like that where they're like, oh, you at a time when you be like, what's my brand deal, they're like, how do we eliminate brands from this magical space?
Speaker 1: Slay, No, that's cool. Slay kind of recurds too, don't but that happen the ones Lady Gaga could never well.
Speaker 2: First of all, I.
Speaker 3: Aeo lab or I want to go back to the logos from Mattress.
Speaker 2: But I do think that's a big part of why it's so siphoned off from the rest of culture is because there's like no advertising a bit. It's literally like by word of mouth, and if you know, you know.
Speaker 3: And even then you need a guide and even know, like even if your friends like listen to Fish, they'd have to like, but let me make the playlist, yes, or else you will go you will not get it.
Speaker 2: Community building. Where else are we seeing that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, other jam.
Speaker 3: Bands also, you know, weirdly, they've sort of invented festival culture, right, Like that is massive, the Coachella of it all. I mean also, you know Jane's Addiction. Did nobody wants to have that conversation? The originator of Lollapalooza.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this.
Speaker 3: It was originally a festival that Jain's Addiction started in the nineties and then became Lolla Plouza. But at the same time, Fish was showing throwing festivals that are only Fish and one hundred thousand people come.
Speaker 1: There's no other bands but Fish.
Speaker 3: But they do like build a village and there's like art and installations and weirdo shit happening. When Bonnaroo started, which sort of started the modern resurgence of the last twenty years of festivals, because they knew, because it was more of a jam band festival that it's inception. They went to Fish as people were like, how do you do a festival? And so Fish tap Bonnaroo and then now we have Coachella.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there's so many weird things where it's like, it's crazy that fish is that girl. Until Billy Joel did the Billy Joel, they were the band that had most played the Garden.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: They played there like one hundred times and sold out every show. Whoa, I'm getting back checked again and I'm appreciate about it.
Speaker 1: And if only we could do that to the Cheeto and Chief.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, if only. But he won't come on the podcast. He's afraid.
Speaker 1: Have you tried?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes tried. Could you imagine we haven't?
Speaker 3: What topic do you think he'd do? I think what if he did cheetahs?
Speaker 2: And it's like charming because he's making fun of himself and.
Speaker 1: He's like really self aware.
Speaker 2: It's like, I mean, what what topic would he do if he was really self aware? I guess he could do cheetos. He could do like apprenticing business business.
Speaker 1: I think it would be funny if like one day he got bonked on the head and like woke up and period, just as a physical gag. Yeah, I know there's more, but just period. Well, if he gets bunked on the head. I'm on that part.
Speaker 2: I'm that part that part. No, he gets bunked on the head and wakes up. He's like, I want to do a run of my show.
Speaker 1: If you got bunked on the head and then was like, oh my god, isn't it weird that I'm doing this? Like isn't it crazy? Like that would be really funny, little cartoon birds flying around.
Speaker 2: Dizzy eyes holds a press conference. Never mind, impressre's so good.
Speaker 1: That's in your new hour, right, yeah, here's mine never mind, Wow, that's really good. Here's my.
Speaker 2: And that's the title track from Fielding Apple's new record. She recorded it all at home with her dogs. That's the sound of the dog with the rest.
Speaker 3: The dog she had at that time, rest in power, power, that time, that time, at that time, that time.
Speaker 1: This is Trump pop.
Speaker 3: That's that's good, and set up that part.
Speaker 2: Maybe if Trump got bunked on the head, he would release Trump Pop Miami, This is Trump Pop.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's really good.
Speaker 2: Get your bonks out January sex.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's good. Terror in my anus. Ifs rolls off the tongue.
Speaker 2: Rolls off the tongue, that's another track. There we go rolls Royce off the tongue. That's a Kim Petra's track, Lick my Cheetoes.
Speaker 1: Way to be brought in. I can't wait for the intro to be Overady guests, please welcome to the podcast. Philly's favorite comedian, Josh Sharp. Yes, I'll be playing the Philly Um Theater. Oh, I love that, Josh.
Speaker 3: To the Big Philly Theater right downtown.
Speaker 1: You can't miss it.
Speaker 3: It's just under uptown and it's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been to Denver?
Speaker 1: Actually you can't ask some of that.
Speaker 2: George. I'm sorry to be so cute, but I'm going to Denver. Uh, there's no way around it. Because I'm seeing ryle O Khylie at Red Rocks.
Speaker 1: And when you posted about that, I thought you were kidding.
Speaker 2: No serious, that rules. And so we've been looking for where to stay and whatever are.
Speaker 3: They doing, like the twentieth anniversary of Black Light Tour or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't remember if it's it might be, but it guys need to.
Speaker 1: Get into Ryla Kylie Moore.
Speaker 3: That's like it's such a like like a you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Ryle O Kiley is one of I actually recently have this experience with Gossip bet Todo's band, where these are things I think everyone knows and everyone stands, and then you realize no one I saw Gossip. I posted it literally got one reply.
Speaker 3: I feel the same about The Knife, another band from that era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never Knife. But so many gay guests have.
Speaker 2: Known so many gigs I don't know.
Speaker 3: They are like girls are at the raves and yeah, it's all good. It's all good anyway, fever Ray. That's yeah, let's that part.
Speaker 1: I actually don't know. I'm coming clean.
Speaker 3: You should like you listen to Jenny Lewis at all.
Speaker 2: No, it's for a band you.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 3: Because there are there is a class of gay guys not you. We now know who know Jenny Lewis and don't.
Speaker 2: Know, right Kylie All it's oh, it's like gay guys that know Caroline Polo Chepe but don't know Chairlift.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And that is a that is a part.
Speaker 3: That part, that is such a that part. Yeah, what you just said is such. This is why we need it back because that is the response to that. My whole body screams that part.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Damn, that's so, that's so Walt Whitman of you so true, my whole body screaming that part.
Speaker 3: As I take loads in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: War Titman is another track off of Slup.
Speaker 3: Pop Cambridge back right, slapt pop Cambridge.
Speaker 2: Slop Pop Walden Pond. Actually it is coming out soon.
Speaker 1: Oh damn.
Speaker 3: How many grasses did I get out of a thousand?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If we said it, we got we went on, So we are sort of still in that segment.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's still non linear. Well we're liminal. We're still in that segment. Yeah, we can't.
Speaker 2: But I think because we're so liminal, we can't give you a number. I think that's Juris score was bear emoji?
Speaker 1: Understood? Yeah? Under still score was bear emoji. That's well, damn, that's what that is.
Speaker 2: That's either good or bad. That's either good or bad. What if you name your child either oh either, Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: You hear you have to hear the mother yelling it.
Speaker 2: Out either and it also it is Actually.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have a mother. I am the mother. I am the mother. Come through, RuPaul, come through, RuPaul, vote, I am the mother. Clack clack clack clack, clack. Vote vote, but seriously, you guys, get out there. Seriously, you guys, please vote. Should we do our final segment? How well I've lost track of lemon and so nonlinear? You tell me where we are? Where are we have time? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We should do our final any any lingering Fish notions? I mean really asking us just things that's very cute things. Yeah, it is cute. I just want to know if there's anything that you needed addressed that didn't know I know, and I do feel like it was a touchstone for us. Yeah, you know, it didn't need to be the bedrock. It was a touchstone. It was a touch if we're just making different sort of geological rock.
Speaker 2: Base touch my stone, by the way, was another.
Speaker 1: It was like a limestone layer, you know, good limestone bank.
Speaker 2: There we go, Oh my god, an the limestone festival in Bloomings, Indiana.
Speaker 1: You're literally just like sort of like fish.
Speaker 2: Can I ask something basic? What is the backstory of the name fish spelled with a pH?
Speaker 1: Great question? I don't know. Do you know that?
Speaker 7: I do a couple of different stories. But when they first started, so they started eighty three, and when they first.
Speaker 3: Started at Goddard College at Goddard.
Speaker 7: College, which had thirty three people in every year when they graduated.
Speaker 2: WHOA they wanted to be.
Speaker 7: That's why they wanted to be, and that's why.
Speaker 1: Everyone was just like what oh, and then it became Fish. This is news to me. I'm learning they wanted to be pish, do.
Speaker 2: Anything that's ahead of their time, because I'm thinking of that very pitchforky band that is three exclamation.
Speaker 1: Points, Yeah, yeah, t chick chick chick chick chick chat. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's so Fish.
Speaker 3: I love to learn that because even though I'm so tapped out of this scene, because it was like the thing I obsessed over from years like seventeen to twenty two. Like I think even now, if you played a live Fish recording, I would know the song and I probably could tell you the year and maybe month of it, you know what I mean. Like, it's still a part of my brain that knows every single thing about this band. So to learn something new that's huge.
Speaker 1: That's that's huge for.
Speaker 3: Me in all of my as someone literate in the lore, I didn't know that part.
Speaker 1: That part that that part well, that's just like how we want to be called aeo lab and people kept saying stradio, Stradio.
Speaker 3: Lab, and so you just became Stradio Lab.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first time we ever sold out?
Speaker 1: One of many, one of many, slippery, slow, what a many? But seriously, you guys, how down the barrel?
Speaker 3: This episode has been you know, because you guys sold out. Now, yeah, you resisted that urge to make this one punk. And it's just so clear and cogent and literate. First time listeners would know every single word.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, this is the blueprint.
Speaker 1: This is blue blue, It's gonna be the FYC episode. Yeah, yeah, this is well, you know, everything you touch becomes afore your consideration. That part, Okay, we should do our final segment. That part, Josh, Our final segment is called shout outs, and then this segment would be amashed to the grand straight tradition of the radio shout out, shouting out to anything that we are enjoying, people, places, things, ideas. Imaginally twousand one, you're in Times Square shouting out to your squad back home.
Speaker 3: What's made about that is I'm literally in Times Square right now. But it's twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: That's the part, Yes, it is, what part.
Speaker 3: That's the same, It's Times Square so that's the same. We're coming to your life from times.
Speaker 2: We are coming to your life from we are no cap no cap is that coming back?
Speaker 3: No, it's too fresh. But it couldn't like three. But I'm we're warm on bet being something. By the way I'm doing for you.
Speaker 2: By the way, no fap is another track, and bitch.
Speaker 1: People will get that that's beat. When you said profoundly earlier, I was trying to think of a pun and the only thing I got was propound me?
Speaker 2: Because the hell is wrong with you? Because ideas like that on the table.
Speaker 1: Because I was like, if I say pro pound me, no one's going to be like, that's profoundly. We would know that.
Speaker 2: Oh I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also there's so many lyrical directions there, like I am pro pound me. I am pro the idea of you pounding me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm definitely propos.
Speaker 2: Being pounded, pro pound pro, I'm a pro pound me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Should we do? Okay? How do we do it? I'm like George, I don't have one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't either, Josh, I could do one.
Speaker 1: You want to go first, that's true, you need that.
Speaker 2: We always think of them on the spot. But of course I just had one come to me on the spot. Okay, go great, and this helped, you know, I came into early on the intro. I should come into early on the clothes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Don't you feel as if it bookends for the listener and especially the watcher.
Speaker 1: It gives a bookend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay. Shout out to Love on the Spectrum. It's the greatest show on television. I'm so happy it's back. These are my absolute friends, y'all. This is the friends cast to me is Love on the Spectrum. Talk about a warm bath. I'm spending time with David, with Abby, with Tanner, with Connor. I'm loving my life. All of the new people are so good. I was weeping like I'm reading the New Yorker Fish article watching this season of Love on the Spectrum. I wish every person would watch that show. I think it is so that part the best.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, shouts out to all of them. I would love to meet or work with any of you. Please find me. Run up to me in a public space with a weapon if you need. I want to know you. I want to be friends with you, and I want to celebrate.
Speaker 1: You most of all. I have also been. I started season one like two weeks ago, and I love it. It is the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am very fish about it. Where it's like I have such earnest admiration for the show and the people on it, and they're so funny.
Speaker 1: And it's it's it's it's really nice. They're so funny.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have one.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank God, what's up?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna keep going with via television theme. What's up, television viewers? I want to give a shout out to this very particular state that I can will my brain to be in. It is it. It is a version of the Sunken Place, but it is I think as a little mourgeois de vive, and I have been accessing it every night over the last calendar month, when every night I am watching Family Guy on Hulu. Dot se to me, I am on season I didn't start from the very beginning, but regardless of very I started, I'm on season eleven. I'm watching it. I am letting it AutoPlay, and I am fully watching Family Guy by myself on my computer in bed.
Speaker 1: As God intended, I.
Speaker 2: Am shutting off any part of my brain that is reacting to anything, and it is washing over me the same way, honestly, a warm bath wood. I think when I am ready to comment on what I'm seeing, I will activate. But for now I am in this very special brain state that I think leminals very liminal and is very ampersand and I think rather than judging myself for it, I am going to sit in it and see what comes of it.
Speaker 1: Wow, whoop, that is crazy preactivated? Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: You want to see people, If you want to see people look shocked, if you want to see the light drain from people's face, tell them you've been watching family guy people on all communities. We're talking gay, straight, all mainstream, old, young. I've never seen a reaction like that, and I've done many things that that are.
Speaker 1: You've done a thing? Okay, what's up? Freaks, losers and perverts around the globe. I would like to give a shout out to you know that thing when you wake up and you're like really stressed out and it's like three am and you're like, why am I awake? And then you lay there. I want to give a shout out to getting up and saying you know what, enough, I'm gonna do stuff. We didn't get up, and I'm gonna fucking do stuff until I get tired. And I find that this is a much more productive way stuff. I'm well, one, I'm reading it. Sometimes I'm jerking it. Sometimes I'm having a beautiful water. Sometimes I'm journaling. Sometimes as soon as I write down like everything that's running through my mind, I'm like, oh that's it, Okay, time for bed. You need to download. You basically just have to like walk around and be like, okay, enough, just laying here, and then I have a book. I've got a little life from my books so that I can read it without waking up Misha. And it is an amazing, amazing feeling to just lean in and honestly, sometimes when your mind is racing, you actually are having good ideas and you just have to roll with it because you can't you can't know when the spirit of creativity is going to enter you. So when you wake up at three am, just roll with it. XXO.
Speaker 3: I'm an adherent of this, but it's a practice. They can't you can't always follow because it's happening in a space, a liminal space where your mind is not always your mind. So there's times for the next day. I forget that. I know this is the north Star and I'm so frustrated to not have you know, pointed pointed my sled dogs towards it.
Speaker 2: By the way, I just read on Billboard that Limanal Billboard limb Anal Space has just premiered and it's the lead single of slipt Pop.
Speaker 1: Cambridge woom Anal Space Space. That's good. Wow. If anybody out there has a lot of time and a Photoshop account, we would love for you to make an album cover with the track list of all the tracks that we have named today.
Speaker 3: I want the tracks b www dot Josh Sharptona dot com. That is rare on this graphic that you will share far and wide on the dot com dot com.
Speaker 1: Perfect okay, perfect, Well, everyone go see Josh's show and.
Speaker 3: Tickets on sale now, tickets recently on sale at the moment that this episode is coming.
Speaker 2: Out Josh Sharp Today dot com.
Speaker 1: Yep. And you know I need this stradio.
Speaker 3: A lot of freaks there, honestly, and I'm going to say this on this podcast and and no else, y'all will get the show more than every other podcast audience.
Speaker 2: We know that the girls know.
Speaker 1: You're going on Exploration Live and you're saying that.
Speaker 2: Exact same ship. You're on The Daily and you're saying, Michael Barbara, your listeners are going to absolutely freak.
Speaker 3: You know, the Daily listeners will hate my show. And I will tell that to Michael Barbarrow. I'll say it to his face. I'm here to talk about the topic of the day, but not my show. I do not want your listeners there. Say to Barbaro, do you think you could turn him gay again? I think he's got some cues. I think some cues.
Speaker 1: He is like ampers encoded.
Speaker 2: He is so and down.
Speaker 1: Have you had him on? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually no, well we had him on, but it was a bad episode and ended up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was mutually agreed upon from both parties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we told him to fuck off. Is this known or I cannot?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what y'all podcast Queen's be doing. Y'all have, y'all have a community.
Speaker 1: Y'all are the fish.
Speaker 3: You know there's a y'all are the fish.
Speaker 1: Y'all are the well Michael barbro it's an open Invite's.
Speaker 3: An open invite, Actually, Barbara, you can come to opening night. I'm gonna save you a ticket in the front waiting for Govment style. If Barbarow comes reserved for barbar.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'll be nice. And every night you look and he's not there and you're like, fuck, I guess this one's just for me. Well, Josh, thanks so much for doing the podcast.
Speaker 3: My God a blessing, an absolute blessing, and to be in the i RL kind of way.
Speaker 1: Thank God.
Speaker 2: And I just want to say thank you everyone who has participated in the week of Stradio Lab six and one live show, Endless Opportunities and endless Fun and endless play fish style.
Speaker 4: Thank you well, Bye bye podcast and now want more, Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 1: And for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on our YouTube now get back to work. Stradia Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Hans Sony and Olivia Aguilar.
Speaker 2: Co produced by by Wang edited.
Speaker 1: And engineered by Adam Avalos.
Speaker 2: Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grugg.
Speaker 1: Theme music by Ben Kling.