Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I'm all In Podcasts one of the other productions iHeart Radio, iHeart Podcasts, iHeart Media. Pop Culture, Season six, episode ten. He's slipping on bread yet dig joined by my in Trepid Cruises and French Territude. Amy Sugarman, or as we refer to her now as Amy sugartoes Rory is standing in the bathroom in Laurel i'ed remodeled room doing her makeup. Laurel eye, Hey make a noise, So I don't think you pulled an Elvis. Elvis Presley was a and if you don't know who Elvis Presley was, I don't know. It doesn't The legends in your culture.
Speaker 2: Kind of a rough one because it's like he.
Speaker 1: Died in the bat He did. He sure did.
Speaker 2: Unless you believe he's alive, which some people do.
Speaker 1: He could be.
Speaker 2: I read that book He's almost alive, and I believed it when I read it. Yeah, I didn't believe it, but the book made it seem real.
Speaker 1: I think the coroner in Memphis would make to differ. As he's holding his brain in his hand. Laurel, hey make a noise, so I don't think you pulled on Elvis. Elvis Presley was a legendary singer and actor known as the King of rock and roll. He is regarded as one of the most significant cultural figures of the twentieth century. Laurel I is referring to rory leaving without saying goodbye, which Elvis was known to do at a party or ending a concert abruptly.
Speaker 2: See, I thought, Okay, so I got this wrong because I thought I had it back courts, because I thought it was because he died in the bathroom on the potty.
Speaker 3: That's like, that's like a story.
Speaker 2: I totally had it wrong. Okay, continue.
Speaker 1: This is where the saying Elvis has left the building became popular, because he would end his concert without saying goodbye, and the announcer would have to notify everyone Elvis isn't coming back on. Got it? Well, he was exhausted. Did you see his concerts? He was sweat. I mean, man, that's not live.
Speaker 2: But on television.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 2: I never went to an Elvis concert live. I wish I had he died, but I was alive. When he was alive, but.
Speaker 1: I never went to, did you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't want to be as.
Speaker 1: Of course, so we were friends, uh, the different high schools together. All right, who's up, Amy? You want to do this?
Speaker 2: Rory coming downstairs from Laura's room and seeing the dog paul Anka on the table, he has emerged. I'm assuming that's paul Anka. Well it ain't. Louis Prima. Louis Prima was a singer known as the King of Swing. While rooted in New Orleans jazz, swing music, and jump blues, Prima touched on all genres throughout his career, various genres. Paul Anka sings a cover of Louis Prima song Sing Sing Sing with a swing. The song was originally written and recorded by the Louis Prima in nineteen thirty six. Larelee is naming off another singer who's similar to paul Anka. Did you know Lori? Prima was also known for providing the voice for the Orangutang king Louie in the nineteen sixty seven Disney film The Jungle Book. And I have to say, excellent tidbit. Whoever found that really good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh no, Terrak, alright, we've tried to improve pop culture, just so everybody knows. So please let us know if we've accomplished that.
Speaker 1: How have we tried to do that?
Speaker 2: Uh? Our producer Jackie's back from maternity leave and she's like a really really good at pop culture. So she's bringing it, bringing the a game. Yeah, so let us know if we're nailing it.
Speaker 4: So this one, there's a lot in this one. Laura is going through her box of notes she wrote when Rory was gone. Laura I says, Lenny Kravitz, Where did Lenny Kravitz? They both say, get all his money? Laura I says, yes, one hit and he's buying a Fifth Avenue mansion. Rory says maybe he went through Nicole Kidman's wallet when she wasn't looking. Lenny Kravitz is a singer, songwriter, an actor who dated actress Nicole Kidman in two thousand and two for a year.
Speaker 1: And his daughter is a great actress. Yeah, Zoe Kravitz did a great job. And that Robert Pattin said, Batman movie. She's a real deal. She's like a real movie star of that girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: In two thousand and five, Lenny Kravitz negotiated a deal to buy a fifty million dollar eight story mansion owned for more than a century by the Duke family of tobacco barons.
Speaker 1: And see, I.
Speaker 2: Think he had some Jefferson's money too.
Speaker 1: I think some of that probably knows Christopher.
Speaker 4: Anyway, they were both referring to Lenny because at this time he bought the mansion. And also, did you know that Nicole and Lenny were engaged? When Nicole was doing press for Big Little Lies? She said, working with Lenny's daughter Zoe was quote all in the family.
Speaker 2: They weren't engaged when she was doing the press, but she made a reference.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, wait a minute, Nicole Kidman and Lenny Kravitz were dated, were engaged? Yes, yes, where I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: It's easy to have that one slip by you. But it was pretty Uh it was pre Keith Urban obviously.
Speaker 1: Was that a strange coupling?
Speaker 2: No, it's kind of awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you guys know about Lenny Kravitz's scarf? Do yourself a favor and look at that on TikTok the.
Speaker 3: Little thin scarf too, like.
Speaker 2: His is so big it's like he's wearing a comforter.
Speaker 1: Yes, Dolly, Lama that Yeah.
Speaker 2: You have to, by the way, not to be X rated. You guys now, please please look up if anybody listening wants wants to. I'm not encouraging it, but just saying his latest video. Lenny Kravitz is naked naked in his current video and it's like he's.
Speaker 1: Show.
Speaker 2: I watched it three times.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, oh boy, ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry, has just contacted us.
Speaker 4: Down?
Speaker 1: Uh, Susanne?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Lane is telling Rory about a music label who is attending her show and worried if it's a real label or not. Lane says, very big unless it's a Waiting for Guffman thing and the label guys don't show up. Did I just jinx it? Waiting for Guffman is a cult classic film where residents prepare to put on a community theater production. Led by eccentric director Corky Saint Clair. The film stars Christopher Guest.
Speaker 3: And Eugene Levy.
Speaker 2: I never heard of it, so I'm glad we're doing I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: I've heard of it was the best film so funny.
Speaker 5: Quirky uses his connection to an off, off off Broadway producer named Mort Guffman and tells the production, they have a chance to make it on Broadway.
Speaker 2: Blaine is using this reference.
Speaker 5: Because she may be thinking the guy from the label may not be who he says he is. Did you know that the only parts that were actually scripted by Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy were the lions in the musical Red White and Blaine?
Speaker 1: Oh Man, Yeah, it reminds me.
Speaker 2: It's probably like best in Show.
Speaker 1: Well, now, Waiting for Guffman was about they thought that this theater producer was the legit Broadway guy, and it turns out that he was just he was insane and that he had escaped from a mental institution, and at the end of the film they took him away. Oh gosh, all these local actors thought that they were going to end up on it. Couldn't be more excited. Oh gosh, it was funny. It was really funny.
Speaker 2: I think this one's you.
Speaker 1: It is. Laane is talking about her gig and asked Rory to film it. Lane, Hey, do you want to be our da Pennybacker. We're borrowing a video camera. We need someone sober to do the photography. Don Allen Pennybacker was a documentary filmmaker and one of the pioneers of direct cinema. Performing arts and politics were his primary subjects. Lane is referring to Da Pennybacker and asking Rory to be her documentarian to film the Gig.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites. Right now, Liz is borrowing Luke's kitchen to cook Thanksgiving dinner for twelve of her friends. See, I'm a student of Martha. You know Martha Stewart. She's a genius. Yes she is. Martha Stewart is a TV personality and cookbook author. Liz says she's never made Thanksgiving dinner for twelve people, but she's learning through Martha Stewart's cookbook. Did you know Martha has authored ninety nine books over her forty year career. I am fortunate to have met Martha Stewart many times, and here's what I will say. She's literally so nice. Oh she's so nice. She's so cool, she's so fun. She takes her grandchildren, a grandchild to jingle ball. She was, I think she was. She's very sassy, like you know, she's eighty, but she's so like young. And she is stunningly beautiful, like beautiful. Now. I do buy her items at home goods, but I cannot cook like her, but I love her items at home goods.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's still like to Martha. Martha and Lenny Kravitz. What about that?
Speaker 3: But Martha and Snoop Dog.
Speaker 1: Have Martha be in a Lenny naked video?
Speaker 2: Not a bad idea. Remember Martha's first trap, She's coming out of the pool and she was literally eighty and I was like.
Speaker 6: Uh, she's very hot, like she's pretty, just saying, oh, you know what you should get though, If you're looking for a great gift, go on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Martha Stewart's puffer vest short sleeves. Totally recommend it. It's like a puffer vest, but it's not a vest. It's short sleeves. And I started wearing it at the super Bowl and yeah, I bought like three of them.
Speaker 1: Before vest that's got short.
Speaker 2: It's a short sleeve puffer vest. So it's not a vest, but it's like a puffer short sleeves. Really good.
Speaker 1: And she that's a branded Martha Stewart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I bought him for the whole family, and I highly recommend. It's affordable, great Christmas gift, not sold out. You see it Camo. The Camo is the one she wore to the Super Bowl, like either last year or the year before.
Speaker 4: And it's oh, it's like her brand.
Speaker 3: I thought you just meant like she started a trend.
Speaker 2: Martha Stewart is way too genius to wear somebody else's brand of the Super Bowl. She's gonna wear her thing?
Speaker 1: Is she on this podcast? But we love her?
Speaker 2: Give her what she deserves.
Speaker 1: We deserve stuff too.
Speaker 2: Oh God, do one more? I have to leave?
Speaker 1: Who's next? U? Tara?
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry? I got distracted by Martha's puffer?
Speaker 1: How much is she paying? You? Guys? Are you sure?
Speaker 2: I didn't even get the best for free? Did not even get it for free?
Speaker 4: All right? So Luke made a joke about something.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that.
Speaker 4: Luke made a joke about Liz's friend who doesn't have thumbs. Liz says, I'm calling him Yakov from now on. Yakov Naumovich Pocus, better known as Yakov Smirnoff, is a Russian American comedian, actor, and writer. He began his career as a stand up comedian in the Soviet Union, then immigrated to the United States in nineteen seventy seven in order to pursue an American show business career, not yet knowing any English, and Liz is saying, Luke is a comedian making jokes like yakov.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something nobody knows comedy like the Soviets. Let's face it, sousin.
Speaker 5: Christopher is complimenting LOURAI, saying she looks great. Laura I says, yeah, well, I got the girls from the Wash and Brush Up Company from the Wizard of Oz working for me now. The Wizard of Oz is a nineteen thirty nine American musical fantasy film. The Wash and Brush Up Company is the name of the ladies who are working on Dorothy and her friends after arriving at the Emerald City before they are off to see the Wizard. Or like jokes that other people are fling her and that's why she looks good.
Speaker 3: It is so specific. I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's a very obscure reference, right, they dig deep.
Speaker 5: There are many references to Wizard of Oss. Oh, he knew that movie very well.
Speaker 3: It's like at least like what three or four season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, does it make you wonder what Dan and Amy's apartment looks like?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Laurel I telling Rory the news about Christopher being rich because his grandfather just died. Laurel I. Apparently it was one of those unsad deaths, like Buddy Hackett. Buddy Hackett was an American actor and comedian, buts remembered for roles as Marcellus Washburn and the Music Band and the Voice of Scuttle and The Little Mermaid nineteen eighty nine. In the early nineties, Hackett was diagnosed with severe heart disease, but steadfastly refused to consider bypass surgery. His heart disease was the primary cause of his death on June thirtieth, two thousand and three. And if you google Buddy Hacket on Johnny Carson telling any story, you will see why he was so legendary, very funny guy, very really great storyteller. Two.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Laura says, Okay, I'm getting very uncomfortable with the Freaky Friday moment we've got going on here, because it means I have to go to Yale, you have to run the inn, and oh god, I don't even like thinking about what it would mean for Luke. So Freaky Friday is a film starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan as a mother and daughter switch lives for a day. But did you know that this was not the first version of the film the original. The original star Jodie Foster and Barbara Harris in nineteen seventy six, and Lorelai is relating to Rory, saying she doesn't want to have any more strings attached to her grandparents paying for Yale and it's considering taking Christopher's offer, and Lorelei references this instant because she went through the same thing when she was younger with her parents.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, so Sam.
Speaker 5: Right before the show, Zach is trying to test out his wireless mike and it isn't working. Brian says, you're comparing yourself to Axel Rose. Axel Rose is the lead singer for Guns N' Roses. He has been named one of the greatest singers of all time by various media outlets, including Rolling Stone and Me and Billboard. Brian is sarcastically questioning why Zach is comparing himself to Axel Rose because he is far from Axl's level of talent.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay. Zach throws out the set list and is ruining the gig. Zach, keep hop I'm gonna be calling out tunes like Jack White. Jack White is the lead singer and guitarist of the White Stripes. His drummer recently explained Jack doesn't use set list because all his songs sound eerily similar. No, he didn't say that, because they want to feed off each other one on stage and sometimes go into grooves and music they've never played. But he always looks to Jack to keep them on track for the time show. Zach is comparing himself to Jack because he doesn't want to use a set list for this gig. And let me tell you something, I have some experience playing live with set lists, and if you just crumple up your set list and just wing it, you're in big, huge trouble. Trouble. And Suzanne was there to witness that, all right. And we never went off the setlist, did we?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: It was good, same, same every night. The roadmap, the roadmap. Yeah, you gotta have the roadmap, all right.
Speaker 4: I can do this one another one that between Willy Wonka and Wizard of Oz, we get one reference for the other. So Rory and Lorelei a at lunch with Christopher accepting his offer to pay for Yale. Laura I says I filled Rory in I mentioned the brewery and the castle, Chris says, the opalooz.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Willie Wonka on the Chocolate Factory is a nineteen seventy one film directed by Mel Stewart from a screenplay by Roald Dahl, based on his nineteen sixty four novel Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and starring Gene Wilder. The Blumas are small humans who work at Wonka's factory, and Chris is making a joke that he is now rich he can hire help for Laura, le I and Rory and the new Willie Wonka's coming out soon.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, is it Tim Burton?
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's Tim Burton. I just know that Timothy Shallome.
Speaker 1: Stars starts, that's got to be Tim Burton. Yeah, let's see, Well it doesn't have to be, but maybe it is Timothy Shallamy. All right, Uh, Susanne, you're up.
Speaker 5: Liz is guessing that Luke's kid is with Anna Nardini, and she says, Luke, you're not Warren Batty. I mean you could have been girls like you, but you're a serial monogamist. Warren Batty is an American filmmaker and actor. His career has spanned over six decades, and he has received numerous accolades, including an Academy Award and three Golden Globe Awards. Prior to marrying his wife, Annette Benning, Betty was baby. Prior to marrying his wife Annette Benning, Beatty was notorious for his large number of romantic relationships that received generous media coverage, having been linked to over one hundred female celebrities. Liz is joking Luke is the opposite of Warren Beatty, a monogamist, and easily guessed it was Anna who he had abril with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Batty. Rory on the phone with Honor after she tells her that Logan said they broke up. One of my favorite scenes in this episode. By the way, Honor did a great job. This surprises Royce because she thought they were just on a break. Honor, well, I was wondering where you were for Thanksgiving and at first Young Seacrest hemden haued, which wasn't sufficient, so he finally told me idiot him, not you. Ryan Seacrest is a media personality. Now let's just rephrase this. Ryan Seacrest is the media personality game show host and producer in the world Seacrest. Ryan Seacrest is best known for being the host of American Idol, American Top forty and on Air with Ryan Seacrest. Honor is comparing Logan to a young Ryan Seacrest. Do we think Logan looks like Ryan? And I think the answer comes back as.
Speaker 3: A yes, yeah, especially that that age.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he's going to be hosting a Wheel of Fortune.
Speaker 1: Oh, Ryan is really yeah. I don't know where does this guy find the time?
Speaker 4: I asked to say that when I worked with him, I was like, I don't know when he sleeps?
Speaker 1: Right? How does he do all that? Gosh? Okay, everybody, that's gonna wrap it up for us, Thanks for download us fans on the planet, keep those cards and letters, come and smoke signals all the cloud stuff. Next episode, Season six, episode eleven, The Perfect Dress. We'll see you next time. Just remember we and I I'm all In. Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and also again, follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.