Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's the final hour in this Monday. Great to be back, we missed you. Everybody's here, including Fritzie more phone calls eight seven seven three DP. Show operator Tyler is standing by.
Speaker 2: Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, that's our streaming partner. Thank you for downloading the app. Coming up, we'll talk to Jeff Passon, the great baseball writer for the Mothership. Why does everybody have a problem with the new baseball uniforms? Did anybody see this coming? And why is it? The players are saying these pants are see through. I think that would be good for ratings. Come out and see all of your favorite player and we'll get to phone calls. The poll question for the final hour is what seed O'Connor. We had two running so far, Dan. Both of them are court storming relating okay.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: We had court storming dot dot dot, add more security, find the schools, or leave it alone right now four Already three percent of the audience say just leave it alone. It's fine the way it is, okay. And then we also had court storming dot that's super fun, super lame. Fifty eight percent of the audience say it's super lame. So the audience basically says it's really lame and just leave it alone.
Speaker 2: Well, Jim Beheim joined this last hour and he said, you know, nobody gets hurt. You had a duke player get hurt, and but you know ninety nine percent of the time, nobody gets hurt. I don't think you can have that logic where you go, hey, nobody got hurt. You know, hey, kids go out there and you know, play with some matches here, anybody get burnt? No, okay, do it again. I just don't think you're going to have that logic and say, have all of those people congregating and they're all coming at different angles to the same centers, you know, center of the court, and then these players trying to get off the floor. If you are going to ensure this is what I would do, and look there's holes in all of these so called solutions here. I would have police ensure that the opposing team is surrounded or that you do your best to get them to the locker room. The kids are going to come on the court. Let them come on the court at their own peril, and your team at its own peril. But the visiting team police should be able to get onto the court to ensure that they're going to get to the locker room. And Duke should be aware more than any other school when you lose on the road, they're going to storm the court, even though wake Forest was a two point favorite. But you must ensure the safety of the opposition. We must do that anything else happens. Well, you guys allowed this at your arena or your stadium. What's the pole question we'll have for the final hour? Seaton?
Speaker 4: Well, this one could be a little tricky, but if we were to say, commit Rob Manfred's legacy will be dot dot dot dot dot. He's announced he's taking a retirement. Well, he did the same thing that I did. Maybe, yeah, maybe, yeah. We could populate this a bit. But will his legacy be the pitch clock?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Will it be the astros? Will it be expansion?
Speaker 2: Perhaps?
Speaker 4: A lot of talk of expansion right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want to talk to Jeff Passon that Nashville and Salt Lake City might be on the horizon here because the NBA is going to expand Vegas and probably Seattle, or at least I hope it's Seattle. But baseball does.
Speaker 4: Baseball expand Nashville makes a ton of sense. I think Salt Lake City probably does too. It's just more of a surprising name to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Nashville is growing so big so quickly. Nashville sounds I mean, you know it's a baseball town as well. So yeah, but we'll talk to Pa about that, all right. What else? Is there anything else that we add to that? So, pitchclock expansion, the Astros debacle, there's.
Speaker 4: Some pitch clock overwhelmingly positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now they want to modify it. Now They're like, well it was twenty seconds in between pitches. Now we want to make it eighteen seconds.
Speaker 4: See, I'm okay with that because they have some data after a year of doing this that says it might be better to go eighteen. It's not like it just came out of nowhere, Like, I don't think it's a random number that they've just invented. I think that they have, you know, they've done some research into it, and they have that data that they say, wow, this would actually we could probably do this.
Speaker 2: I just they could have enforced this decades ago. The rule has been in place since nineteen fifty five. They just didn't enforce it. If you're going to enforce it, like get in the batter's box. For years I would say just hey, get in the batter's box. Or I'm going to say to the pitcher, throw the pitch. I mean, it's really simple. You know, we've allowed all. It's like carrying in basketball and I'm watching a game yesterday, I'm like, what an advantage if I can put my hand under the ball and I can't beat you off the dribble. That would be pathetic, that'd be sad. But we've allowed it. Why I get, what point do we say, you know, these guys just aren't exciting enough. But now we allow it. And I don't know why. But now it's just like, yeah, I keep saying to the commissioner, all I have to do is call it, well, three seconds are traveling, Just call it. You haven for decades and then all of a sudden, you know, I look up and I go, there's really no guardrails here. Then we just there's certain things we just say, well, that's just the way it used to be. That's just the way it is. But it doesn't have to be that way. I know, I sound like to get off my line, guy, and I am, I am, get off my lawn.
Speaker 5: Yes, ma, DP, it's not traveling. It's a gather step, the euro step.
Speaker 2: Okay, Boomer, learn the rules of the game. It's a modern game. Oh I know, Oh, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: He just took fifteen steps in Yeah, and there are some that are just so egregious that I think the official has to go now. There is no way he just took four steps. I'm not going to call that, believe it. Yeah, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 6: And all this is trickling down to the grade school level. They teach young kids how to eurostep, how to carry the ball where you're not going to get called, but you hesitate in the air with it. It's being it's been green light all the way down.
Speaker 2: By the way, I mentioned that the Joker had another triple double, and he now has one more triple double in his career than Lebron does. And then I looked at the number of games played. The Joker has played in seven hundred twenty games. He has one hundred and thirty nine doubles. Lebron is one hundred and thirty eight triple doubles. He's played in one thousand, seven hundred and fifty four games. So the Joker has done this in over one thousand fewer games. He is going to be the all time leader. When it's all said and done, you'll blow by Russell Westbrook. It's not like the Joker is going to slow down. It's not like you go Yeah. But when old age sets in, he plays like he's old. He plays like old age is already set in. He's twenty nine. I mean, the only thing that'll stop him is he'll just decide he doesn't want to play anymore, and that might be in five years.
Speaker 5: Five minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to be with my horses. They were just stop being me so much. I hate making all this money and these parades. They interrupt my vacation. When is parade?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: When is parade? Yeah? There's a parade.
Speaker 5: When is Michael Jordan cried?
Speaker 2: We had one last year? Yeah? Why another?
Speaker 3: Ye?
Speaker 5: Like I have to go home?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Blake and New Orleans been holding Hey Blake, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 9: I am honored to be your first non nerd caller of the day because, unlike the previous nerds to call in, I see no problem with court storming like behand said, no one's gotten hurt. The reason Philipowski may or may not have gotten hurt was because he was trying to trip a kid. And it's just as part of the process. If you go to school for four years or six, if you're a secret Polly, then you may do it one time. It's not like it happens every day. It's just it's more, it's on the news more. And just let the kids be kids. No one's gotten hurt. Like I said Philipowski trying to trip a kid. Caitlyn Clark flopped like it was the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Let kids be kids, all right. That's Blake and New Orleans. Thomas in Kansas, Hey, Tom, are you great?
Speaker 3: I was thinking about hockey.
Speaker 10: You know how they have the protective walls and part of the game. You know, schools put that into basketball.
Speaker 3: Have you know what do you think no one's sports storving the hockey court rink? So I mean could have worked.
Speaker 2: I think you might. I don't know if we could have a like the plexa glass there that keeps you away from getting on the court. Now you have to come up with the cost for this. Yeah, all the schools that have to pay for this because you can't say, well, it's just these schools, and then you know, you get to your conference tournament and all of a sudden, your storm in the court at Siena. You know, I have no idea. Hey, I'm open to any of these suggestions. Do I think it's an issue?
Speaker 6: I do?
Speaker 2: I do? Larry and Montana Hi, Larry.
Speaker 11: Hi Dan first time Coller five nine a non maintained. I'd also like to say, I'm a fifty nine year old nerd court storm and about if the next home game no one with a student ticket is allowed in, the school's got to remburse those tickets or maybe just let the season ticket holders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I want to toy you with that. You know, that's part of what you sign up for when you go to college. A lot of times you'll get ticket allotments when you're there, depending on the program, going to see Alabama football. You know, that's that's part of your tuition. Now, I don't know if there's a solution to this where you go, oh, okay, I just think ensuring, certainly with basketball, ensuring that the opposing team is surrounded by police, not arena security police. You get them from the court to the locker room. Students, you can storm the court, do not engage with you know, players, now, can you do that? I SAMs logical, Yes, Boom or you.
Speaker 6: Should consider not losing big games.
Speaker 2: Oh just okay, I did not. Okay did they consider that? What about when Duke's football students football fans storm the court football field when Duke beat Clemson this year in football?
Speaker 1: That, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: They was a big storming. It's twenty eight to seven Duke big win. First week of September.
Speaker 2: They stormed, They stormed the field, a couple of thousand kids. Yes, Josh in Texas joining us. Hey, Josh, Hey, how's it going great? Josh?
Speaker 3: So, I actually have a solution for the storm corming man. It's what we'll call the storm timer. Gay Man's fifteen twenty second timer.
Speaker 7: Pops up.
Speaker 3: Let the graphics guys play with it, have it rumble, lights up everything, and build emotions. And when everything hits zero, let it explode and everyone comes on. That gives guys time to get off the court, you know, staff to bring cones out to blow off areas, and then Boom is on.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you're going to ask the kids to wait.
Speaker 8: See.
Speaker 3: At first it'll be shaky, it will be retarking and running out there. But uh, you know, two years into it, you know, you just say, here come the storm clock, Here comes the storm clock, you know, and then it'll be normal.
Speaker 2: Okay, But what if it's a buzzer beater.
Speaker 3: The storm clock pops up and get you put.
Speaker 11: It on the school?
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you Josh. Once again, these all sound practical, like, okay, I see that, kids, we need you to wait. It's like when you know that the gifts are under the tree on Christmas and your parents like, get back in bed, don't get up until six o'clock, and then it's you know, it's four forty two, and then you're trying to sneak down. Get back in bed. Okay, kids, Look, once we win and pull off this dramatic upset, wait fifteen seconds, okay, and then we're going to have something on the jumbo tronfteen fourteen, thirteen, twelve eleven. You know, we used to have festival seating in concerts. I was working in Dayton and was going to the Cincinnati concert where The Who was there and eleven people died festival seating. Only a couple entrances into the arena that night, and I'm sure many people thought it's festival seating, which means open the door and you run to your seats wherever you want to sit. What could go wrong? Eleven people died and to show up at a concert and seeing ambulances and body bags. You can't sit here and go. You know, nothing's happened so far with festival seating, and I'm sure nobody thought that anything like that could happen prior to that. So am I being overly cautious? Yeah?
Speaker 9: I am.
Speaker 2: It's like when the gold post comes down. There have been people who have been hurt when the gold post comes down. Oh they're taking the gold post down Main Street. There have been students who have been injured, some seriously injured. But we love, We've glamorized it, and if you're a student, you're like, man, we want our turn.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like when you go to Duke you want to you know, paint your face and jump up and you're in the you know, Cameron crazy, like it's your moment. This is what we do, This is what everybody else has done. We should be able to storm the court. I get it, but at some point we need to just maybe pump the brakes a little bit and just say, all right, let's just look at this, all right. Is there a way to make this where it is safer for everybody. I still maintain if a student runs the run on the court and a student gets injured, that's on you. I must ensure the safety of the opposing team, and certainly when it comes to basketball, I've got to get twelve, thirteen, fourteen people to the locker room, surround the bench. Let the students know the police are going to be there with them. You want to storm the court, at least acknowledge, be respectful for those players so they can get off the court. Aaron and fort Wayne, Indiana. Hi erin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey Dan?
Speaker 7: Thank you for taking my call. Todd, what's up? I don't think this start coming stort. Of course, Stormy is a big deal. I mean, if you remember what it was like to be in college, there are a lot of marsh pits at fratthouses. I mean, if you want to solve this problem, let me take some of the players down to a local frat house on a Saturday Night, show them how to marsh pit. You know, don't go against the grain.
Speaker 2: And that's another great idea. Come on down to a nothing bad ever happens in amash pit, Oh boy eight seven to seven three DP show.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, what did the NBA do Because back in the day, when the subs were, they were winning championships, they used to storm the court after they won.
Speaker 2: So what changed then, I don't know. And that when when the Celtics beat the Phoenix Suns in the NBA Finals and or when the Lakers won the title, I remember fans running the court or if the Celtics won, and that's when you would see these NBA players. They were just knocking people out of the way. They were like, you're gonna come on the floor, were coming after you. Yeah, po.
Speaker 6: But that was an NBA Finals, that was the title. It was worthy of being stormed. We used a term maybe ten years ago here court storm worthy. Yes, that game for Duke and wake Forest. I know it's been a long time. It should be Duke at Home, yes, but it's got to be court storm worthy. Your favorite act like you've been there, and that's tough thing to get to people's minds because it's become like I think, set instead of a minute, go off air. It's a rite, a passage for college kids. You want to do that at your school because you see everyone.
Speaker 9: Else do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll take more phone calls on this and settle nothing. Yeah we haven't.
Speaker 4: We have absolutely not settled in because you know what, there might not be anything to settle. That's why, you know, it's like it's one of those things that's gonna bubble up and then uh, you know, by Wednesday, we're not talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why I said it's twenty four to forty eight hours of outrage and then then we're done. And then we're gonna have March Madness, and you're gonna have you know, these conference tournaments and students are gonna run on the floor and we're gonna go gone, look at the pageantry. That is awesome. Yuh, that's fun. We don't want to get rid of this. I don't want to get rid of it, but I do want to make sure that players at least get off the floor. Then whatever happens after that, that's on the univer We'll take a break. What is wrong with see through pants in major League Baseball, Jeff Passing of the Mothership will stop by also the possibility of baseball expanding to Nashville and Salt Lake City. Jeff will join us from spring training right after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Hey, I'm Doug Gottlieb. The podcast is called All Ball. We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way. We talked to coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories. You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 2: I think you like it.
Speaker 12: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gottlieb on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: PGA Tour bigins It's Florida Swing. It'll be the Cognizant Classic and the Palm Beaches. Rory McElroy and the stars of the tour are in Florida, as is Jeff Passing of the Mothership. Senior Baseball Insider. Before we get to Jeff, this statement from Major League Baseball. The uniform pants have the same material in thickness as the uniform pants used last season. There were changes to the fabric of the jersey, not the pants, Baseball said. A baseball spokesman told ESPN that Nike fanatics and MLB representatives have been making adjustments to the jerseys based on player request made during spring training. Now there was a report or at least some of the players said the pants are see through. Let's bring in Jeff Passing. Jeff, of all the things I've ever had you on, I don't know if I've ever had you on for sea through pants. So how did we get here with the uniform change or changes Major League Baseball.
Speaker 13: I'm just hoping there's not seen through pants under your desk right there.
Speaker 2: I don't have pants on beauty Beauty.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 13: Major League Baseball can say all that it wants that the material of the pants is the same and that you know, this is just a change and the fit of them or the ability to customize them. But the truth, like the only thing that matters is that we've seen things that we should not see this spring and that we have not seen in past springs. We have seen Twigg and berries if you want to call it that, or I mean junk however you want to put it. We done seen it so far, okay, and that is the change from the past that gives a whole new meeting to junk ball pitcher. So okay, how did Baseball not know that this was happening? You know, when you go through a new manufacturing process, there are always errors that come out, and that, to me is the most frustrating thing about this entire story. I cover a sport dan whose resonance among fans isn't quite the same as it used to be, and that is always looking for entrees into new groups of people to watch. And if your marketing is you can see our players and other regions, something's not going right there. And the immediate reaction, the very simple reaction to this should not be but wait, they were see through in years past two, which is what major League Baseball's trying to say right now, you know, which may be true. But the important thing is fixing the issue that you've got right now. And it doesn't seem as if they're doing a whole lot to fix this or change it. And that's the frustrating part of it. That everyone's kind of pointing fingers at one another. You know, Nike is the the you know, new manufacturer of the uniforms, and they're looking at Fanatics and saying, yeah, you know it's Fanatics that sooner, and Fanatics is looking at Nike and saying, well, we're just going off the designs that they sent us. And you don't solve problems by pointing fingers. This is a problem because I am on the Dan Patrick Show and the first question that he asked me was about the ability to see players through their pants. Like, if that's not a problem that you should be you should be out there trying to solve instantaneously. You've taken the wrong path.
Speaker 2: But I have a problem though that the jerseys. I mean I had these uniforms when I was in Little league where they would take an iron and then they could, you know, put your name on or your number on, and you're gonna probably still charge the same to fans. Like there's no raised lettering here. I mean, there's nothing that says boy, that's quality here.
Speaker 13: No, it looks like a minor league uniform. And I don't even mean like minor league baseball, I mean like weekend guys going to the park. It you know, it's Chico's bail bond. That's what it looks like right now. And you know, you don't understand how much better the large lettering looks until you see the small lettering. But we had an example of this just last year, Dan, do you remember during the World Baseball Classic, Great Britain's uniforms it looked like Times New Roman twelve point font and we saw just how goofy it can be when the lettering compared to the people who are wearing the actual letters is as small as it is. And to you know, to have those sorts of jerseys now, it's just been catastrophic from top literally to unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Bottom showing your bottom. Help me understand expansion, the possible expansion, and I know you've mentioned two cities, what kind of Is there a timeframe for expansion with Major League Baseball?
Speaker 13: Yeah, but it's probably not until the end of this decade, so we're a while off here, and I think the process would probably be a little bit quicker because expansion fees are going to be of scene. You know, we're talking two plus billion dollars Dan per franchise. When the last time Baseball spanned it was like one hundred and thirty million dollar expansion fee, So it's enormous money. There are people who are motivated to do it. The problem is there are a couple of issues that need to be resolved. First, Tampa Bay and Oakland. You know, the Raiser are trying to get a new stadium in Saint Pete and while it looks promising, they've got to pass a couple of votes before it goes through Oakland. On the other hand, you know, as much of a disaster as the uniforms have been this spring, the A's or probably ahead of them just in terms of messing things up. And so while they've got agreements in place to play in Las Vegas for the twenty twenty eight season, there is no shovel in the ground yet. There's not going to be for a while now. And ineptitude is really the modus operandi of the Oakland A's ownership at this point. And so I don't think anybody thinks it's a fate a complete that they're going to end up in Las Vegas, And that's been hanging over the game, and Rob Manford has said, we're not going to do anything until Tampa and Oakland are resolved. Beyond that, while major League Baseball can unilaterally say hey, we want to expand, the actual expansion process needs the Major League Baseball Players Associations back, and that's the sort of thing that doesn't happen until a collective bargaining agreement is negotiated. And so part of the CBA after the twenty twenty six season, when it expires, is going to include expansion processes. How do you draft guys, when do they start picking minor leaguers, those sorts of things, and until those are in place, it's really impossible to say, yes, you go ahead and get that stadium started and crank on this franchise, because you know, the stadiums are costing a billion, a billion and a half two billion dollars. The two cities you mentioned Nashville, which has been promoting this this Nashville Stars brand successfully for a while now, and Salt Lake City, which has this sprawling, enormous plan that the Miller family is going to pay three and a half billion dollars to make come reality. Those are the two favorites right now. But when you have so many years then until the actual expansion is going to take place. Weird things can happen in terms of who's a favorite, who falls back in the pack.
Speaker 2: I think I said Nashville sounds that's a triple A team. Okay, Okay, okay, yep, you got you got it? Okay, just want to do yet will show he Tony be playing in April?
Speaker 13: Yes, I think he'll probably be playing in March. I think he'll be playing in Korea. Okay, you know the plan this whole time, At very least they had a template for it, and that template was him because remember he's had Tommy John surgery and gone out and hit the next season. So he knows what his body needs, he knows when he needs rest, he knows when he can push, he knows what he's feeling all these things. You know, when he's been taking live batting practice, he's looked like show hayo Tommy. I was there for his first live VP and he absolutely crushed a home run off of JP Fireeyes, and so he's going to be fine. I just think they're being very judicious about it, because remember, you don't pay a guy seven hundred million dollars coming off of, you know, his second major elbow procedure unless you reasonably think he's going to.
Speaker 2: Be pitching again.
Speaker 13: And so while that's not going to be this season, the Dodgers want to do everything they can to ensure that when he comes back, he is the same quality pitcher that he was, or at least as close to that sort of picture that he was before he got hurt.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we won't be talking see through closed the next time I have you on, But.
Speaker 13: Listen, it's hilarious to me. Like it's kind of sad, it's a little embarrassing. And when people who aren't fans of baseball are texting you saying, hey, when did baseball turn into porn?
Speaker 8: Like that?
Speaker 13: That's not sort of the thing that you're exactly excited about here. But I find it hilarious. And I will talk about about sheer pants with you.
Speaker 2: And I like Patrick, that is hot. Thank you, Jeff. It's jeff passion to the mothership baseball insider. I know, maybe it's a ratings ploy that is hot. That is hot? Yes, Marvin, can we.
Speaker 5: Get Frank Thomas to do a commercial.
Speaker 2: For the super pants O the Big Hurt and she'll like it too?
Speaker 4: How do you already know that Frank. Yeah, yeah, I don't really like what you were implying about.
Speaker 2: Maybe some history. Yeah wait wait, what do you know about my wife? How do you know she's gonna like it? Yeah? I guarantee it, honey. Yeah, you have something, honey? Do you have you met Frank Thomas before? And then she has that little KOI innocent look there?
Speaker 5: Yes, Tony, And are they still offering free samples for those of us would like to try for ourselves.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm on MLB's website, and you can still buy jerseys from last year of players. So like, let's say, you know you could buy last year's player if they're still.
Speaker 2: Can I buy O Tawny Dodger jersey? But it's last year's uniform. I'm checking.
Speaker 6: But by the way, there's nowhere on the site where you could buy Major League Baseball official pants. Why is that that's an underserved market?
Speaker 2: Like I would ad bajazon, I don't know how many people show up at a game in full uniform. Maybe that's the new thing.
Speaker 6: Maybe they're gonna double sales by offering pants online. See you through pants?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I would love some Cubs right pants?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That were really regretting managers wearing them too. Oh man, yeah, skip, yeah, skip going out there to yourself. He's excited about this pitching change.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, argument balls and strikes like, oh we are easy.
Speaker 2: Now, come on, you're better than that. You're better than that. Carlos in Miami, Carlos, what's on your mind?
Speaker 10: Hey, mister Dan, how are you doing? Youre everybody for listening in the show. So I was how about the storm the court?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 10: My idea is you can do like high profile like they do with the singers. Just put five trained crew members like bodyguards. Someone that's rushing, they just rush through the players and they protect them on the court. And then you know, people know whoever's took aiming at them, they're they're they're gonna.
Speaker 8: Get dealt with.
Speaker 10: Just you cover the high profile asset that's on the court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want to cover the entire team, that's all. The visiting team should be protected. They didn't sign up for this. They should be protected to get to the locker room. Maybe that's all we can ask.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, I'm on the LA Dodgers website as I always am this time of day, and if you want to Tani Jersey or anyone else. You got to get the new officially license.
Speaker 2: The Nike fanatics.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the vapor jersey they're calling this, And it's the print on, not the stitching. You can buy old Dodgers like you can buy a Fernando Valenzuela throwback jersey with proper stitching and raised lettering.
Speaker 2: But I know that they're trying to make a better design for the players. They have to wear it every day. You got to wear it in really, you know, hot temperatures. They want to make it so it's it's comfortable. I mean, I don't are we Lulu lemoning the Major League Baseball here?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. It feels like there's a happy medium between nudity and the old school of a nice uniform, a nice jersey, raised lettering. It looked great. Now all of a sudden, it just looks like it's bad news. Bears.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is funny though, because if you've ever worn a Major League Baseball uniform, a held one, it's the last thing you'd want to wear in ninety degree weather.
Speaker 2: And plus a black belt is rarely worned. I don't gotta have the belt.
Speaker 6: What sporting events have belts involved.
Speaker 2: Well, my old this was junior high basketball shorts had a belt. We had belts like that. You know, there was those sat shorts belt Patrick could get in the game. They you know, you could use the belt as a weapon if you wanted to. You could cut somebody. Not that I did, but they could have done that to me to try to stop me. No suspenders though, No, no, no, no, I did have a belt herd. We had these shiny trunks that had a belt on it.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Mark so Wilt Chamberlain scored one hundred points wearing satin and a belt. Yeah, greatest player ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, maybe that satin is how it was so successful. Who no, no, because it didn't help me. Then didn't help me. Well, I'm not gonna go any fir. We probably shouldn't. Yeah, and that's the problem. I didn't go any further. How about we take a break. Well, last golf for folks, You.
Speaker 6: Were holding up the sign in front you with zero points?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, zero zero zero instead of one zero zero Jacob break last call for phone calls.
Speaker 1: Back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen Live Good to be back.
Speaker 2: We came back and realized that Peter King announced his retirement from writing his football column that he's been doing for decades.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: Peter will join us on the program tomorrow. Here's something for you. I know, we talk about court storming and Jim Beheim said he didn't have a problem with it. You know, people don't get injured. Players don't get injured. Something happened with the Duke game. Kyle Philipowski got hurt, twisted his ankle. But for the most part, you know, fans come on the court and they get to celebrate with their school. Do you remember when we didn't have the netting in Major League Baseball and people were so upset that they were going to put netting there and that was going to ruin the viewing experience going to baseball game. When's the last time you heard somebody say something about the netting at a Major League baseball game? And now when you go, you go, how is it that we sat here with these screaming foul balls. If you've ever sat close to the field and had one of those baseballs get on you in a hurry and hear that hit skin. Then you're like, what, how can we possibly be doing this? Remember when we didn't have netting with hockey? Hey, no glass, Hey, you just fire the puck. Somehow it went up into the audience in the stands. Did a may get hurt? Yeah, Jimmy's got the puck in the side of his head. He's a hockey fan. He's going to stay. But we have these things where we go, what were we thinking before this? And that's just you know, there's so many things down through history. Wait, you want goalies to wear a mask in hockey. Wait, you want catchers to wear a mask in baseball? Wait, you want to put netting around Major League Baseball the foul poles, just to make sure that fans don't get hurt. So maybe we look back on this in ten years ago, why did we allow this? It just becomes part of the well, that's what we do. Well, that's what they did before. I don't know if we get to that point where we go, what were we thinking back then? Eric and Montana? Hi, Eric, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: How's it going? Dp?
Speaker 13: Great?
Speaker 8: Great? No, So when the levee breaks and people storm the court, you know how like airlines have little life vests underneath your seat that you grab.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I was just hoping that maybe that they store like cattle prods for the opposing team and they can just prod their way off the court. Also, I have a good advertising campaign for the Angels next year. They finally, you know, gather around Mike Trout and make it a magic Mike Trout here.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, got it, magic Mike and his trout. Yeah he did, he worked hard. Yeah, yeah, it us a buzz. Next one might be a double us. And just keep that. You never know, you just keep Why doesn't Major League Baseball have a designated free agency period? Cody Bellinger just signed with the Cubs. Baseball missed out on that, you know, frenzied, you know, contain finite amount of time you gotta sign free agents. It's like a portal.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Take advantage of this? Like, uh wait, Cody Bellinger just signed? Yeah yeah yeah, okay, spring training starting yeah yeah yeah. Kind of kind of lost the impact of free agency there.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: Emerson in Minnesota, Hi Emerson, Hey.
Speaker 14: Dan, how are you doing great?
Speaker 7: Yep?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 14: Hey, I got a best in the works for him. My best being Purdue and Zachi ed yesterday taking over the Chrysler Center. My worst being watching it on CBS and Kevin Harlan on the call and just thinking of Fritz the whole time, like he has just ruined Kevin Harlan for me.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you think Kevin Harlan sounded yesterday?
Speaker 5: The Nuggets are on a thirteen to two run, and the Cavaliers want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: This is the NBA on TN two. Well, he was talking about Purdue. I was doing a random game, okay, because you're not aware of anybody on Purdue or Michigan exactly. Okay, and you're not alone. Yeah, boiler Makers want to talk about it. Matt pater is upset. Okay, all right, all right, that's a good late poll for you. This dance shorts history, PAULI.
Speaker 6: This will go right with your spring training guy signing a contract nineteen thirty five, Dan, the New York Yankees released Babe Ruth and.
Speaker 2: He signed overrated.
Speaker 6: Ruth signed with the Boston Braves for twenty thousand dollars and a share of the teen's profits. And that's about it.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of good sports is okay. Michael Jordan, perhaps you've heard of him, hit twenty six or twenty seven free throws and he had fifty eight points and a win against the Nets on this day. Oh Tom Landry, he was fired on this day in nineteen eighty nine after a twenty nine year career. Oh here's one. This guy won the Daytona five hundred, the only time a driver born outside the United States has ever won the race. I did not know this one. If you said Mario Andretti, you would bring you right on this date in nineteen sixty seven. That's the media. Very hill. Mario and I need structure in my life, and without football, I don't have structure because you know, you have Thursday and then you have Sunday, you have Saturday football, then you have Sunday night football and Monday and I'm kind of lost, not sure what day it is. Sometimes just sort of meandering. Yeah, I'm meandering through the calendar.
Speaker 4: I know exactly what you can start watching to occupy its alrighty, it's on almost every single day. There's usually great matchups every day all over the world. It's a thing called football. All the original their Yeah, dude, start watching soccer. Yeah, but it feels like the season never starts or stops. Correct, That's why it's great. It's always happening, and then when it's not happening, there's like the uh you know, like the national teams play and.
Speaker 2: Then they go back to there.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's perfect. I know, yeah, because I think I've text seating before and I'll go, damn, what a finish and you know it's Nottingham Forest or something. You go, oh, that's from like two years ago. I'll go, oh, okay, hottest Rookiees' biggest superstars, the all time Great's the only place to collect them all. Panini Trading Cards, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show started continue collection now Panini America Dot. Then great to be back. We won't quit you. We can't quitch you. Well, in four years, I can quit you. Have a great day.