Speaker 1: What's up guys. Just a reminder before we start this episode. We've got our next live event and Mariners watch party this upcoming Sunday, two days from now, and it'll be over at Occidental Hall just outside the ballpark on Occidental Avenue.
Speaker 2: We can't wait to see you guys there.
Speaker 1: Along with our friends at Corona and our friends at the Hall, we'll be watching the game with you guys as the Mariners take on the Blue Jays this Sunday. Our event starts at two pm, which is right about when first pitches, So if you want to come watch the game with us, come on over and hang out. You can grab some great food and drinks. Hopefully we'll watch the Mariners get a series win, and then we'll be taping our podcast right afterward upstairs and there'll be a bunch of room for you guys to sit around and hang out as we do so, so if you want to come watch the game with us, absolutely come on out. If you're at the game and want to come hang out after the game as we record our podcast, yeah you can do that too. You can just walk right over. So thanks to the Hall, thanks to our friends at Corona. See you guys this Sunday. Can't wait to have the event. It'll be Sunday, July fifth, two pm over at Occidental Hall.
Speaker 3: Welcome to episode number four twenty four of the Marine Layer Podcast. Who welcome on Avery Shenyeve from the Gate fourteen podcast to preview the Mariners Blue Jays series this weekend. We'll also rehash some trauma from this past postseason while and I will also react to the Mariners sweeping the Los Angeles Angels.
Speaker 1: A reminder to you guys before we start this episode, just do us a big favor. Make sure you're downloading these podcast episodes on the audio side and on those same audio platforms, go rate and review and leave that five star review. Whether you're on Apple or Spotify.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just leave the five star review. Hit subscribe on YouTube.
Speaker 1: If you're watching this on the video side, if you want to go to our website marine layerpod dot com. You can find all of our episodes there. Podcast merch is there, Patreon's there again. That's all over it marinelayerpod dot com, and then find us on social media. We're posting content everywhere every single day at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 3: Let's get it.
Speaker 4: Rolling and we Welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording here on Thursday evening, July second lyle, I do really love playing the.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles Angels when in doubt. If you ever need to fix, all you need to do is play the Angels.
Speaker 1: The Angels are the ultimate slumpbuster. They really are. If a team's in a slump, yeah, just go play the Angels.
Speaker 3: I mean that you made a great comparison on your reaction today, just a plus comparison.
Speaker 2: Enlighten the people.
Speaker 3: So you compare them to the four to twenty thirteen Mariners. I was like, wow, how have I never thought of this before? I mean, that's exactly it's it's aging superstar and then zero development in the minor leagues and a team that is perpetually winning seventy three eighty wins.
Speaker 1: That was the first time you'd ever thought of that. That's what I've thought about the Angels forever. Now it is literally the twenty four to twenty thirteen Mariners.
Speaker 3: Because I haven't seen the light.
Speaker 1: I mean, just a team like the Mariners were for that decade. The Angels no direction, no farm system, like, no sense of urgency at the top. They spend poorly, they don't develop well, they draft. I mean, look, Tyler Bremner might end up being good, but the fact they actually passed on Kate Anderson for another college pitcher. I mean, and you wonder why Perryman Nation finally got fired. Yeah, like I don't. I don't know how anybody could be a one sixty twur, a true one sixty tower and watch every game of the Los Angeles Angels. I mean, if there's Angels fans listening to this, I really am sorry, but I know there's probably not, because I don't even think Angels fans exist at this point.
Speaker 3: Well, we know one.
Speaker 2: Was Swilly from John Boy.
Speaker 3: Oh no, well no, I meant one personally, maybe not publicly, but okay, then maybe two.
Speaker 1: Oh we had we had one friend from ASU who was an Angels fan. I guess that's true.
Speaker 3: Never there was that one game in twenty seventeen, early in the year the Mariners bleue to the Angels, wasn't it Rott was Fernana Rodney on the MOUNTDA.
Speaker 2: In this thing? Yeah? Oh oh he blew it.
Speaker 3: And Albert Poolhols and Mike Trout did the arrow.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, sorry, that wasn't twenty seventeen. I think that was twenty fifteen. Or oh no, that was twenty fourteen. It was twenty fourteen that that happened.
Speaker 3: Okay, so then I'm thinking of it and maybe an Edwin Diaz outing that he blew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that they did blow a big lead in twenty seventeen. I think it was a nine one, nine to three in Anaheim and the ninth and they blew it.
Speaker 3: I remember running down the hall of our dorm too, said said persons with Roominy, and he's like, I can't literally can't believe what just happened. That's like the vivid memory of me interacting with an Angels fan in my entire life Like that, that tells you the state. Yeah, Los Angeles Angels franchise. Not much has changed since.
Speaker 1: No, well that and then again we met Swelly from John Boy in spring training this year because she was at Mariner's camp for a day and she's a big Angels fan.
Speaker 2: But you don't find many of them, man, you just don't.
Speaker 3: And it definitely helps Mariner's pitchers to face this Angel's lineup. Like list off some of the the outings for Mariner's pitchers against the Angels this year. The Mariner's starting pitching dominated in this three game series against the Angels. George Kirby struck out fourteen Angels twice last year. It's a lineup really without that much of a plan and without that much depth behind it. I mean, they have Nolan shanawall bitten at batting in the middle of the lineup. That dude has no juice whatsoever. So it just makes Bryce Miller's job a lot easier when he faces a lineup like this. He needs to be careful with like two guys, and he can just you can just go attack. And that's literally what Bryce Miller did all night. Like Bryce Miller's mindset works perfectly with facing this Angel's lineup. It just throws as many strikes as humanly possible and you know they're never gonna touch it.
Speaker 1: Who are the two Angels to be careful with? Obviously Netto, are you counting.
Speaker 3: Troul Maybe three? Then I was gonna say, in this current lineup that they rolled out here on Thursday evening, it would have been Solaire Adele and Zach Neto.
Speaker 1: Dude, I mean, look, Joe Adele is an incredibly nice dude. We've gotten to talk to him a bit and shout out to him, but just objectively by the numbers, this year, he's not hitting very well. So I don't even know if you really have to be that careful with him right now. I mean, he's got a six seventy eight ops.
Speaker 3: We did it, almost hit forty homers last year.
Speaker 2: Well, last year.
Speaker 1: He was top ten in the league at homers, but this year it's been a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jorge Silaire is not really lighting the world on fire either. I'm just saying, like those guys, if you throw him a middle middle fastball might park one into the seats. And in a game like tonight, that was the only way the Mariners, the only way the Mariners are gonna lose, But the only way Bryce Miller was going to give up runs because he wasn't given up that many base runners. Sure, so, I mean maybe in that sense.
Speaker 2: I mean these Mariners arms. I mean, you're right.
Speaker 1: Bryce Miller goes seven shut out here in the finale on Thursday, Brian wu goes nearly seven innings, giving up two earned runs. On Tuesday, Yes six and third, giving up two earned runs and then Monday with Kirby, I mean he went seven innings. Yeah, he was dominant Kirby on on Monday. Yeah went or sorry, eight innings, not seven eight innings to earned runs, seven punchouts. I mean the Los Angeles Angels people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you very much, Los Angeles Angels.
Speaker 1: But by the way, why in the world was there an off day on Wednesday? And I know your answer is gonna be oh, because there was a World Cup game. It wasn't the US. The game was at one o'clock. It wasn't all that crowded down there. Why was that game off?
Speaker 3: There needs to be a certain amount of time I believe between between the game at Lumen or Seattle Stadium and then the game at T Mobile Park. I think it's I'm gonna say it needs to be six hours between kickoff times.
Speaker 1: But that can't be right because the Seahawks back in October had their game end and the Mariner's playoff game starts an hour later.
Speaker 3: But they were in the same place.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Remember the crazy Sunday. It was game two of the Alds against the Tigers, the first google game the Mariners won. The Seahawks lost one of their only three games of the year that year to the Bucks late and then the matters started about an hour later.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, I believe that's the case, because Okay, I think I have an answer for this now, because before the season started, MLB New Seattle was going to host a Round of thirty two game on Wednesday, but you didn't know a time.
Speaker 2: I guess that's true.
Speaker 3: It could have been because we were the two slots one in five on that same Yeah, so they played it. If they ended up playing a night game at like five o'clock, then that would have been different than they couldn't have done both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me say this too. I know this is a baseball podcast. Monday down by the stadium is going to be so sick I cannot wait.
Speaker 3: Should we just sleep at Oxdenal Hall? So we'll be there Sunday evening. Yeah, and so for our live event come by, by the way, we'll have giveaways. Shout out to Corona in the Hall for making that happen. It should be fun. We'll be watching the game and we'll have a whole bunch of giveaways and then you can watch us take the podcast upstairs afterwards. It'll be a blast, so please come on by. Maybe we should just stay.
Speaker 1: Overnight, honestly, I mean they have bathrooms there. You bring your toothbrush to brush your teeth. They got those long couches upstairs. Get a blanket and sleep on the couch and then yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then the hall has like literally the best breakfast.
Speaker 2: So they're easy. Yeah, pretty easy.
Speaker 1: Right For those of you that are planning to go down to the stadium on Monday, I mean, it's gonna be an absolute circus down there. But TJ and I are definitely planning to be down there, so you may see us. If you see us, please come find us or come say what's up, because.
Speaker 3: We have like a wild amount of people like come up to us, like even during the like out before these matches, I mean even even on on uh Wednesday, Wednesday Wednesday, and then for the last US game too. But again, like it's it's a lot of Seattle people, so it makes sense, it does. I mean, it's gonna be so much fun. It I'm loving the it's a Monday night football game in Seattle. Buckle up. It's like it's the full Seahawks energy. Something batshit crazy is gonna happen primetime game in Seattle on a Monday night. I mean something, something's just gonna go off the Rails. Drew Lock's gonna lead a comeback against the best team in the league exactly.
Speaker 1: Again, I know we're a baseball podcast, but Monday is gonna be sick. Cannot wait to be down by the ballpark and or just down by the stadiums, I should say, and.
Speaker 2: Also free flow ball. Again, FIFA is a fucking corrupt ass league.
Speaker 3: They can't even appeal. They can't even appeal his red card. No, this is the wildest thing ever.
Speaker 1: Can't even appeal it. Sorry, not league. FIFA is a corrupt ass organization. Shock this.
Speaker 3: This is like one of two of the biggest events in the world at the Olympics, and they can't review an ejection that was now know they can't review They can't review a suspension that was absolutely that was absolutely unintentional too, and it's because it's not written in FIFA's bylaws like that. That just sounds crazy. This is I guess this is what happens when you have a tournament that happens every four years and there's no players union to like advocate for something like this, Like MLB plays every single year for the players have a union, they're they're always playing in the same league and they make sure they're looked after fully. But the all these players for all these different countries, I mean no, there's no one looking after them. It's just FIFA. Yeah, you want FIFA, you want to put your your trust in FIFA to do the right thing. It's never gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, the World Cup would have been here sooner, except you know, they took a bunch of money from the Sadi's to have in other places.
Speaker 2: So yeah, oh, you're.
Speaker 1: Telling me FIFA is not a good standing, blue collar group of people.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: No, no, nope, I hear there. Awards mean a lot these days too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, how sad. I'm really looking forward to Monday, though. It's gonna be really fun.
Speaker 3: I still feel pretty good. I feel like the home field advantage is going to be incredible. I think it's a really good chance if it hasn't already been, Like, Monday is gonna showcase like how great of a sports town this is. We see it with the Mariners all the time, we see it with the Seahawks, the Sounders. It's it's gonna like light up like a rocket ship. If I'm a Mariner and I have any sort of interest in soccer, I am bummed that I'm gonna spend that that day. Like you know, they'll probably fly early, but I'll spend that day in Florida, three thousand miles away.
Speaker 2: Instead of going to the game. Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I know it is gonna be, like it's a bad time for people out there that say Seattle's a dying city in a bad sports town. Yet not after the last time the World Cup game was here for the US, and certainly not after on Monday.
Speaker 3: We have a really good conversation coming up with Avery Schenye. But I did want to talk about Bryce Miller here for a second because he has just been on another level. I mean, he just keeps doing it. This is the Mariner's best starter right now, hands down, Like until he proves otherwise, this is the best starter in the Mariner's rotation in twenty twenty six. It's better than Wu, It's better than Gilbert's better than Kirby, Like I've seen enough.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, are sitting at one seven in early July. I think that's a pretty definitive statement. I know he's made a few less starts than the other guys, but hell yeah, this is your best pitcher.
Speaker 2: And by the way, get him to Philly.
Speaker 3: They should, they should pull every string possible to get him to Philly. But I don't even you know, I think it would be really cool. I don't like he doesn't have to go to Philly. What I'm most excited about is how Bryce Miller is gonna be that much fresher than everyone else in August. In September, well, a reason the Mariner said, and the more we were at the ballpark talking to people, the more this seemed true, is that the reason the Mariners went away from the piggyback this past weekend was to get everyone more rest. I don't really feel like Bryce Miller needs more rest. He's gonna end up throwing what like one hundred and he's gonna throw one hundred and forty innings this season. He's gonna have a lot more I think a lot more runway to go at the end of the year. Some people might mention that he didn't throw that many innings last year, and that's fair. I guess we'll have to see. But I feel pretty confident in what we're going to see from Bryce Miller the rest of the season. He just looks as complete of a pitcher as you possibly can get. I mean, over his last four start style he struck out thirty three batters and watched none. He's the first pitcher in Mariner's history of four consecutive starts of seven strikeouts and zero walks. He's doing things Brian wu didn't even do last year for Logan Gilbert the year before. It's just outstanding.
Speaker 1: I mean it's funny, like you look at Bryce's Savant page, and even in twenty twenty four when he had his best season, there's a lot of underlying data with Bryce that often won't favor him, and that isn't the case at all this year. Right now, his Savant page looks like what Paul Skeins of the Savant page would look like, I guess, outside of the ground ball rate, because Bryce isn't a guy that gets a ton of ground balls. Everything else is just popping out at you like no other. I mean, he's striking batters out at a crazy raid. He's throwing hard, I mean, he's not getting hit hard. Everything And then you look at just pitch by pitch, and for a guy that just straight up attacks people and does so with just conviction, the results show it. I mean, he's dominating with his four seam fastball and that splitter that he developed a couple of years ago has been deadly as ever.
Speaker 3: And the only reason he lost is no hitter today is because the Mariners by the fifth inning had maybe their worst defensive outfield out there in franchise history.
Speaker 2: Brandy Rose, Arena, Luke Rayley, Weston Wilson.
Speaker 3: Honestly one of the literally I couldn't believe what I was seeing out there.
Speaker 1: Well, dude, and he lost his perfect game because JP botched another throw, which, by the way, had Bryce Miller actually thrown a no hitter and only faced one batter over the minimum for the game, and the one batter extra was because of a JP Crawford e error. JP Crawford would have owed Bryce Miller multiple steak dinners, like multiple because that wasn't a play where he had to dive and get up and then he airmails it trying to rush the throw because he wants to beat the runner to first. Oh no, that was another routine play, right to JP Crawford who just sails a throw and loses Bryce Miller's perfect game.
Speaker 3: It's it's right out of the Hanley Ramirez Clayton Kershaw playbook.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it tells you all you need to know. When Andre Smunios besides the walks making me nervous in the ninth inning, there was that pop up in left center field and Rayley and Randy are converging on it. Yeah, you know the you know the TikTok trendlyle the saxophones getting louder. Mm hmm, Yeah, saxophones are getting loud as fuck when that ball was in the air. What a team.
Speaker 1: That was a tough defensive group to have out there. I will give credit. I will give Julio some credit. By the way, the defensive metrics aren't all the way back to where we'd usually see Julio's defensive metrics, but if you extrapolated over the last month or so, he is back to playing pretty Julio Rodriguez quality defense, which is pretty nice to see.
Speaker 3: And very much needed. Speaking of him, it's a bummer he's out that. That has been one of the unluckiest things I've seen. The ball just so happened to squarely hit him in the back of the noggin, and I guess he seemed dizzy enough where he had to come out of the game. And then two other Mariners batters got hit, which left them a little shaken up. It's funny. I didn't hear anyone on the Angel side talking about hit by pitches this time. I didn't hear Trout, didn't hear Ty Buttery. I didn't hear anyone online.
Speaker 1: Dude, Ty Butchery made his account private. I guess Mariners fans cooked him so hard from the last time, but now he got scared it, can't handle the heat and made his account private.
Speaker 2: Wow, buddy, it's like it's almost like it's almost like you're soft.
Speaker 3: It's funny how it always comes around to the fact it's really the other team who's instigating all this shit, and it's the Mariners. It's always the Astros and it's always the Angels, well every single time.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes Naylor instigates things, but other than him, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't.
Speaker 1: He doesn't throw at guys. No, No, the Mariners never throw at guys. Do other people, Yes?
Speaker 3: But also has Naylor ever done anything dirty like he trolls, has he ever been like dirty?
Speaker 1: I don't know if people are trying to argue that throwing his sliding mitt was dirty.
Speaker 2: I was just like and I'm like.
Speaker 3: Come on, I didn't think that was that dirty.
Speaker 1: No again, it's it's a sliding mitt, and it's not like he chucked it hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like slipped out of his hands and it weighs like half an ounce.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. No, it's in terms of throwing at people. The Mariners almost never throw at people. It's the it's the other AOS teams, and then they try and play victim. Merwin ty Buttrey told all these Mariners fans that if you disagree with me, you don't know baseball, So sit down and shut up and like go learn ball. It's funny now that guy's account is.
Speaker 3: Private, doesn't want to have any more conversations anymore.
Speaker 1: Clearly, dude, he quote tweeted us at one point trying to cook us. And we weren't gonna go fifteen rounds with this dude because we're like, it's not worth our time. He's he's on an absolute like heater right now, and not in a good way, like a bad heater, and We're just like, we're just gonna ignore him, and then he locks his account like all right, man sick.
Speaker 3: I think it tells you everything you need to know about where the Mariners stand in this situation.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, I would agree.
Speaker 3: Oh, shout out the angels that always providing us with plenty of storylines before we get to Avery. Shen Ye wanted to tell you guys about Emerald Queen Casino's summer lineup of shows. Let me know if this sounds good. War visits Emerald Queen Casino on July seventeenth, Brantley Gilbert on August twenty second, and Pete Davidson on August twenty eighth. Get your tickets today at Emerald Queen dot com. Emerald Queen Casino is the entertainment capital of the Northwest, and while you're there, you can check out the bet MGM Sportsbook. There's no better place to watch the game. Seventy dream seat loungers for premium viewing, dozens of eighty six inch TVs, legal wagering on college and pro sports. You can download the bet EQC appter live wagering anywhere on the property. Catch every sport in every play at Emerald Queen Casino. For more details, visit Emeraldqueen dot com. Please game responsibly.
Speaker 1: And a reminder to you guys, go check out our friends over at Pagatcha's Pub eighty five because you guys know, it's this awesome neighborhood bar over in Kirkland. There's great food, there's games, there's great drinks, and there's twenty TVs in the place. So if you want to watch the World Cup, or you want to watch the Mariners, or really any sporting event you can think of, you can head over there. And if you go during happy hour, Pub eighty five has happy hour deals that are three and four dollars, drinks that are from two to six pm Monday through Friday. So again Monday through Friday, four hour long happy hours from two to six pm, and drinks for three and four dollars. So check all all of that out. That's over at Pagatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland.
Speaker 3: Great conversation with Avery Shanye. We got to do something we have been waiting for since last October. We got to debrief the postseason last year and you'll hear it at the beginning, but we get to ask the honest question, who had it worse.
Speaker 1: I think it's more in the middle of the interview. I think it was more in the middle of the conversation we did it. But it's in there.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It is in there.
Speaker 1: We hash out a lot, their perspective on it, our perspective on it, how they were feeling, how we were feeling, than how they were feeling after the World Series. Yeah, there's a lot in there. And by the way, for those of you who don't know the Gate fourteen podcast, which I'm guessing a lot of you do at this.
Speaker 3: Point, probably because Johnny's always tweeting at them.
Speaker 1: Dude, Johnny's a live wire. I mean, we talk about it with Avery a little bit in the episode. I do think us and them have some similarities. We're not carving copies. But the best way I can compare them is, again, they're not carbon copies, but they are sort of the Toronto version of us. They are the unapologetic voice of the fans in Toronto and Canada. But these guys Man is a team based podcast. I mean, we get into it with Avery. They're they're in commercials in Canada now and they're doing stuff with all these different players and they've got these great relationships with the team.
Speaker 2: It's it's pretty.
Speaker 1: Wild what they've built and the engagement they get on all their episodes and posts. It's remarkable what those guys have done. And it's been cool to get to know him over the last couple of years, both from just content and being online and also getting to meet him in.
Speaker 2: Seattle last year. And yeah, it was a blast have Avery on. It was fun.
Speaker 3: We will keep you guys any longer. Let's get you to that interview with Avery.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got our friend Avery on with us. You guys probably know him better as one of the two hosts of the Gate fourteen podcast Toronto Blue Jays podcast. Avery, thanks for hopping on. I'll ask the same question everybody's probably thinking themselves in the American League right now, but man, how you feeling about your own team?
Speaker 5: I hate them? They suck. They suck right now. It's brutal. Yeah, man, coming off in awesome last year to be rewarded with some of the baseball we're watching right now is it's the hardships you deal with sometimes. And as we were going through the playoffs last years, like you gotta remember man, this for the Blue Jays. It doesn't happen every year, so you got to really embrace it and enjoy what they've been doing. And everyone seemed to have forgotten that, as you do when you're watching one hundred and sixty two games. And yeah, we're dealing with it not very well here in Toronto. It's been been tough to watch.
Speaker 3: But weren't the Blue Jays at this point last year? Also in I mean, they're not in last place right now, but they were in last place like a year ago, right, and still ended up winning ninety four games. How's it different?
Speaker 6: June changed. June changed everything last year.
Speaker 5: Then there was a big, big run in the middle of that, and yeah, I think it think it was at like the sixty game mark where things kind of change. This year, Like the five game losing streak they just went on was really just kicking the nuts.
Speaker 6: Like that was perfect time. You finally get back to five hundred.
Speaker 5: You can't do anything if you don't get back to five hundred first, right, Like, that's that's the starting point to see if we're gonna take this thing serious. So you get back to five hundred, you battle, and then you play the worst five baseball games you've ever seen, just some hilarious losses in the middle of that. So that was really tough, like just get back to five hundred and see what we can do. And we thought we had a sixteen game stretch here where it was kind of make or break a little you guys know, like it's not truly truly make or break, but you could on paper make up some ground against these guys and good start and then five game losing streak in the middle of it.
Speaker 2: That's not good, oh dude.
Speaker 1: So believe me, we know when you say that it's not make or break in June, but it feels make or break.
Speaker 2: The Mariners are currently going through.
Speaker 1: The softest, easiest part of their schedule here in June, and they're not taking advantage of it at all. I mean, They've gone up against the Orioles and the Tigers and the Angels and the Pirates, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, and they're just winning none of these series. So yeah, believe me, we get it.
Speaker 5: It doesn't get worse than that too, when you have some wins, Like when you look at the schedule at the start of the season, NFL fans are kind of doing that right now. Looking at the schedule seeing we're gonna put some wins and losses. Yeah, and then you get to the soft spot and then you actually don't win those games.
Speaker 6: Nothing worse, nothing worse.
Speaker 3: The last time a lot of Mariner fans saw the Blue Jays, it was in the ALCS, which we'll get to here in a little bit. But they saw an offense that was just crushing the ball, dominating Mariner's pitching, and they saw at least good enough Blue Jays pitching. So what is the big What is the difference between what we're watching or what you're watching with the Blue Jays this year as opposed to the last time a lot of our listeners watched the Toronto Blue Jays.
Speaker 6: You can't hit. They're just not hitting at all right now, which.
Speaker 3: Is just hard to believe, to be honest. Kids literally couldn't throw a ball past the bat of the Toronto Blue Jays last time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, so we're dealing with multiple springer injuries early, right, Like, that's a guy who's thirty six, thirty five, thirty six. You get some injuries from that guy and it's gonna be tough, like we dealt with it the year before, where he was sub one hundred wait runs creative plus we're doing the same thing right now where he's just struggling but getting a ton of at bats in the one hole and it's just kind of killing the team. And then Vlad is a below league average hitter right now, which is impossible to think about, and it's clearly just killing the team. He's been one of the worst hitters in baseball last month and a half. It's truly just those two guys. And there's a bunch of injuries. Like to Kirk, you had an injury where he was out it was the third series of the season and he got back. Was that last week or two weeks ago. So it's injuries piling up the stars not being stars. And honestly, the pitching has been kind of on par with last year as well. Bullpen's pretty good starters. We're going through a tough stretch right now where we let up a run in the first inning every single game and the pitching starting pitching has been brutal.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 5: I think that can get back on track and they can be middle of the pack to top end of the past, like top ten, maybe sit around ten to twelve, where it goes starters v ra I think they can settle in there, but not pitching great right now. And then you just got Louis Viarlin locking down the back and it's honestly just hitting.
Speaker 6: They can't hit, teez.
Speaker 2: What's that like?
Speaker 1: I mean, stars aren't performing injuries, piling up inconsistent starters.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, man, this is news to me.
Speaker 3: I mean sounds sounds sounds pretty similar to me. Yeah, maybe maybe for slightly different reasoning. It might honestly might just be an ALCS hungover hangover.
Speaker 2: I think could be. I was I was thinking that too.
Speaker 5: I was trying to go back after they lost in the World Series.
Speaker 6: Like, what do the losers traditionally do?
Speaker 5: I try to do a list of last twenty years. That's what the losers would do. It's usually just really good teams that are just gonna make the playoffs and be good the next year. Besides the d Backs, right, they struggled after a lot of these teams are making the playoffs. There wasn't too many teams that struggled too much. But my worry was we had some of these young guys. You just throw so many innings you lose a whole month of the offseason. It's like, how are you going to bounce back? And then we have these young guys in the bullpen who are I think we have four of the top ten leaders in reliever appearances right now. Like they are throwing all the time. Because the pitching's kind of good, you can't score enough runs, so you're using your decent guys in leverage almost all the time to try and win these games. Can't You can't run the bullpen differently. They just almost need better pitchers in the pen of your lower guys. But I mean, every team has guys who suck at the bottom of their bullpen and you just can't use them in leverage all the time. So it's been it's been frustrating all around. I don't know how to change things, but it's just been frustrating time.
Speaker 3: A lot of people with the Mariners suspect that they are not playing well under the weight of the expectations of this season. Do you feel like the Blue Jays are experiencing the same thing.
Speaker 6: I'd never heard that before, but it makes a little bit a sense.
Speaker 5: For this Jase team last year there was zero expectations. It was seventy six and a half wins, right, that was the preseason total. I was saying, like, that was a ridiculous number. I was screaming that you have to bet the over on. That wasn't gambling advice, but I was like, that's the wrong number. We saw them seventy four wins the year before with the worst bullpen in baseball. They're going to figure it out to at least do better than that, no expectation. But this year you come in with like crazy high expectations, as you guys said. And that hasn't been brought up in the Toronto media yet, and I don't think. I don't think anyone's going to bring it up, but it could be making a little bit sense. That's such a cop out. They're baseball players. Everyone knows that they're expected to win games.
Speaker 2: In my mind, yeah, it's fair.
Speaker 1: I think at least for Seattle, they never really had expectations like this, at least this group, so it hasn't been hammered home every day in terms of the expectations. But the vibe may have been different in Blue Jays camp in spring training, but at least in Mariners camp there was a lot of just outward talk from everybody about we know what the expectations are, like like, we know we have like a shot to win it all this year, to go to the World Series, et cetera. So like there was a lot of talk about it preseason, and now here on June the thirtieth, when the three of us are sitting here recording this, they're sitting right at five hundred. So there has been, at least in our neck of the woods, some talk about is it an expectations thing?
Speaker 5: Would you rather have no expectations or have a good team that has actually, like, you guys have every good prospect in the world. That's going to be the thing for the next eight years, hopefully for the Mariners.
Speaker 3: For sure from here on out, I don't want any more expectations because every single time they have expectations, they go below them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if you want into the real nitty gritty and the weeds, Like twenty fifteen, they were on the cover of Sports Illustrated being like, Oh, this team's finally gonna win the Al West and make a World Series run. They missed the playoffs that year. Right now they're under five hundred. I think twenty three they had big expectations, missed the playoffs, like they're bad with expectations when they get put on the spotlight, like, oh, it's bad.
Speaker 3: They put out a preseason video where it ended with someone writing on a whiteboard world series to underscore it said, it said win it all, two underscore, Yeah, win it all, two underscores. The video was pinned on the Mariners profile, I think until about mid June, until it had enough comments underneath it that they unbind the video. And uh, I was like, yeah, maybe maybe we don't, Maybe we don't do that anymore.
Speaker 6: It's it's tough.
Speaker 5: You just keep winning and then the uh, the pressure of the expectations go away if you just constantly right right, yeah, and yeah, just the one year off.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I always feel like, because we're all talking about like what's wrong with our own team these days here at the end of June, I feel like when you're not as close to it as we all are with our own teams, you some like it's easier for us. For example, the look at the Blue Jays and say, oh, they're gonna turn this whole thing around, like Vladiee'll start to hit and like you'll get some guys back off the il, and they're gonna make a run in the second half. Even though when you guys, when you and Johnny are in it every day, you probably feel like, oh, no way, it's probably the same thing you back at us. You're probably thinking to yourself, Oh, like Juli all have his hot second half like usual, and Cal can't be this bad all year, and you guys will figure it out. But we sit here saying, well, here's X, Y and Z a million problems they have.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, they're never gonna figure this out.
Speaker 1: I feel like when you're farther away from the situation, it's almost easier to have positive perspective, absolutely, like you're not watching them blow up all the time, you're not watching all the awful at bats, and you can look at the stats for what they are, not having your preconceived notions of watching the games.
Speaker 5: Oh, these stats don't match up with with the eye test. Yeah, I totally agree. I'm I'm just surprised the Mariner's record, to be honest, Like, I'll see your guys postgame Instagram videos like, oh they lost again, and we see that the record, and I'm like, wow, it's just kind of around five hundred, Like that's kind of a really big surprise for for what the Mariners have been doing. And again, like those expectations he said.
Speaker 3: And it's it surprises us too. Here's another thing that surprises me when I look at the Blue Jays and I've kind of thought this in the back of my head, but he's had some just you know, unbelievable seasons and there's a reason why he got paid. But I'm looking at this season from Vladdie and I've always thought, like in the back of my mind that he's he's not always consistent. Do you guys think he's consistent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'd say he's consistent.
Speaker 5: This is the first Okay, this is as bad as it's ever been, like totally far and away, not even close to this bat of a stretch any other time in his career.
Speaker 3: He's had seasons where he hasn't been like an elite hitter, though he's been like a solid hitter, but he's always had the problem where he hits the ball on the ground too much and he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for, you know, not crushing the ball in the air all over the place. So there's been those years where he's only like a ten percent above league average hitter. So I've thought, like the Blue Jays rely on him to be a little bit more than that, and even if he were to do that, it would be a little bit frustrating. But yeah, of course he's not done this yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty twenty three was that one to ten I think he was. He did that and that was total disappointment from everyone. Then he followed it up with I think it was one sixty four and twenty four, and then there's one thirty I think last year. So you know what he can be is just how can you not get power from your first baseman. It's like that's people like to say. It's a big thing on Jay's Twitter right now, is oh Vlattie wasn't really this big power hitter coming up. It's like you guys are not remembering correctly, like clearly not remembering him coming up as a prospect correctly because he was like Vauda is his best, like almost eighty grade power guy, like that's what it was before and not the can't come out of the blue and say now, yeah, he wasn't this power hitter. He was a massive power, and then he's hit so many home runs in twenty twenty. It's it's that was not the right remembering of him as a prospect.
Speaker 6: So it's been tough.
Speaker 5: Like you look at the leader boards, flat swing and ideal launch angle, an attack angle. He's probably one of the worst in baseball at it, and it's just such a clear thing. He doesn't work with the hitting coaches that much. He's always had his own guys, and after last year, I don't I don't know where those eight home runs in a month came from because the swing didn't change. It looks the exact same, and now we have this who was a great professional hitter.
Speaker 6: Latti was right like he was.
Speaker 5: The ability to take walks was another thing that helped him be an elite hitter. And we the chase rate's gone up like crazy. The whole team chase rate is high. They chased a lot last year, but they made good out of his own contact and they had some out of zone slug like some of those guys just do that on the Blue Jays. But Vladdy's chasing like crazy and we we've lost him.
Speaker 6: So I think it's fine.
Speaker 5: There's still even when he was really good, like there was some changes to be made to optimize his swing. So I hope we get to a point where he's ready to dig in and really change things to be this powerherder that he can be. It's he's too strong to not be hitting home runs. Four home runs at this point is just not acceptable, and we all believe in him, but it's it's frustrating to watch.
Speaker 1: Let's compare two players. They're making similar contracts, but you have to pick one guy to be in your lineup. Player one hit three hundred. He had an eight to forty oh ps and a one forty one WRC plus, forty one percent better than the league average. Player two hit one eighty five. He had a five to sixty three ops and a sixty three WRC plus.
Speaker 2: So who would you pick? The clear answers?
Speaker 1: Player A right, because player A is twenty twenty five dominant canzone and player B is twenty twenty two. Abraham Toro, Well, you can apply that same logic to our friends over at Davis Law Group, who offer better service with even better results. Most PI firms charge very similar fees, so why not make it simple and just hire the best Davis Law Group is your premium option for accident firms. They have an in house investigation team. They treat every case like it's going to trial, and they have over seven hundred five star reviews on Google. Davis Law Group wants you to know your rights in the case of an accident. That's why Chris Davis, the founder of Davis Law Group, wrote a series of Washington accident books. He turned common questions into easy to understand books to help people navigate the process, and they've given away over one hundred thousand books across the state of Washington. They want you to be informed. Davis Law Group only takes on cases where they truly believe they can help, and you don't pay unless you get a result. If you've been injured and you want to better understand your options, you can request a free, no obligation case evaluation with their team. Just visit dlgcattle dot com slash baseball to learn more. That's dlgcattle dot com slash baseball.
Speaker 3: Let us tell you guys about Cozy Earth. Cozy Earth's mission is to make home the best part of your life. They send us their bamboo sheet set. They're everywhere pant and every day Polo for us to try, and we were really impressed. The bamboo sheet set lives up to the hype. It's Cozy Earth's mission to make the softest sheets in the world, and I think they've gotten pretty darn close. And I really like the pant and polo as well. For what I look for in everyday clothes, I'm looking for something comfortable but a little stylish as well, and I think both of these check those boxes. Just so you know, Cozy Earth has a lifetime warranty on their clothes, a hassle free return process, and a one hundred nights sleep trial on their sheets. Summer should feel easy for everyone in the house. Cozy Earth's Bamboo sheet set, Everywhere pant and every Day Polo are meant to keep you cool, comfortable, and actually relaxed all summer long. Hey, I to cozyearth dot com and use our code marine for an exclusive twenty percent off. That's code Marine M A R I N E for an exclusive twenty percent off. And if you see a post purchase survey mentioned that you heard about Cozy Earth right here.
Speaker 2: Funny that people just forget about the power.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was gonna say five years ago, I know, five years can be a long time, but the man almost won a triple crown if not for show.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, exactly. So I'm he's he was a great hitter. He can hit it the other way. He's not like crazy pull all the time.
Speaker 6: But yeah, he's one.
Speaker 5: Of the better power prospects ever. So I just what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: I think we've I think we've held off long enough.
Speaker 1: Are we ready to each Are you ready to rehash last October and have like a therapy session mid podcast here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think we just got to rip the band aid off. Who had it worse?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think you guys, I'm gonna be real. I don't feel that way like I got. I mean, they just lost in the World Series. It was it was fine no matter what to me, Like I was finds the wrong term. It was gonna hurt no matter what whenever you lost at any point.
Speaker 1: But when you get when you get that close and you've got one out in the ninth inning in Toronto, Hoffman on the Mount, Like I can't speak to it because I didn't live in your guys' shoes, but like it had to be going through your head at that point right, Like you've got Miguel Rojas up with one out and nobody or yeah, one out nobody on and you're like, oh my god, are we gonna see this happen?
Speaker 5: So I'm extremely pessimistic in those situations all the time.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 5: I have thought about the worst for nine innings of that game while I'm there, like it, we bet on the Dodgers sixth inning. I put two hundred bucks live on the Dodgers. As the ja's were up, I was like, all right, either I'm gonna watch World Series Like it never mattered about money. It's like, this is too good of an opportunity to not hedge this, and at least if they lose in incredible fashion, I mean, at least I can make some money off of this. Right, So, I mean I watched that and it's just an absolute nightmares. But it's the same thing as the Springer Homer, right, Like it's obviously different innings, and but it like that game seven of the Alcyes, it was just dominated until it got into that middle part of the game right like that I was sitting there and it's like they're gonna get killed here, Like this isn't a chance they score immediately and like it's over, We're done. So I mean, I got to watch World Series games as I've never done in my life, So I'll take that. But yeah, just I think constantly being dunked on is the worst part of that, right, It's worse than Actually.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, we don't ever hear the end of it from our world. We don't ever hear the end of game seven. Sometimes it's because of us, Sometimes it's because of people on Twitter, et cetera. Sometimes it's from other people in the media. But oh yeah, like it would be see you guys probably feel this way now having it in hindsight, right that, Oh I wish the Dodgers had just won seven to three and it was a normal Dodgers winning Game seven.
Speaker 2: That all right? People just forget about it.
Speaker 1: It's like when you lose like that, like both our teams, did you never hear the end of it?
Speaker 6: No, no, you don't.
Speaker 5: And I remember so after game seven we did we did a podcast, well we did one where incoherent like we we went out.
Speaker 2: You were out with the players, weren't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we ended up seeing some of the players we went to like their their post game thing. And that was free drinks and we took advantage of that. So then we recorded. It was four thirty in the morning, and it was, I mean, just the worst podcasting anyone's ever done, but like everyone was still pumped, like that's how everyone felt at that moment. And then the next day when we woke up, we actually did one where we could we could talk about it and be like, you know what, get into the World Series is awesome. We're gonna get killed right like it's it's not gonna be close. And then yeah, it turned in to be as close as you could pretty much possibly get to lose that I I'm thankful for it, but yeah, you're right, it's it's brutal, terrible.
Speaker 3: It sounds literally exactly what Lala and I said. It's like the Mariners need to get these last eight outs to make it to the World Series and then we're good. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: I joked, like, throw your Mickey Mouse parade before the World Series even starts, like set it up, coordinate with the city, do the floats everything, people get to celebrate, and then you'll take your elder the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: But we didn't get to do it.
Speaker 5: So they the Dodgers played some awful baseball and still gotta still gotta ring out of it.
Speaker 6: Sweet.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I thought you guys were actually a way better matchup for the Dodgers than us, because like, you know this way better than we do. But just sitting here talking about it, I mean, the Blue Jays just put everything in play, like they couldn't strike out during that postseason. The Mariners are so strikeout pro and I was like, oh, these Dodgers starters are gonna tear them up if they play each other in the World Series, where you guys like, it was a decent matchup.
Speaker 6: And it's kind of the same thing that they're dealing with right now.
Speaker 5: To go back to this year is they're still putting the ball in play, but it's the weakest contact possible, so they're just getting out. It's the it's the downside of the contact approach. You're not hitting the ball hard. It really doesn't matter that much.
Speaker 3: Sure, all right, Avery, could you I was curious for the reference of Mariners fans. Could you walk us through the emotions of that ALCS game by game?
Speaker 6: Oh, game by game? So the first one was I.
Speaker 5: Haven't thought back of that series long time is that I'll help you out.
Speaker 2: So game that was Bryce Taylor.
Speaker 1: Mariners won, and he really dealt in that game, Like I think Springer hit the leadoff homer against him, or somebody hit a first inning homer and.
Speaker 3: It was Springer and then and Bryce threw like what thirty five pitches in the first inning. Yeah, well the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Was toast and then he locked in the rest of the way. The Mariners won that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was annoying because he wasn't pitching well during that time, right, I mean he's.
Speaker 2: Been injured all year, so he had not had a good year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that was that was tough.
Speaker 5: I remember saying like this is this is the good guy to get first, like this should be a good spot for the J's And to lose that one was was really really tough. I The main thing I remember is how bad the Seattle games were. Like those the main thing in my mind is the cal Rawly homer off Brennan Little. That just it like that was a everyone on Twitter John Snader should be fired in the middle of an ALCS run, like they were just ready to get rid of the manager. That was the big one, and it was like the Geno Grand Slam as well, like that, that's what it's like.
Speaker 2: It's done.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: After after game five, this is over. So we got in the building for Game six. That was a great That was a great game for the Blue Jays, like the I remember the Barger home run as well.
Speaker 6: That was awesome.
Speaker 5: And then game seven we get there and it's Kirby. Kirby was game seven right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, he cut.
Speaker 5: Them up for five like there they weren't touching, and then they started getting the bullpen going.
Speaker 6: It was wu after and.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that move.
Speaker 5: He is he's cruising right now, like he has them dead. It's okay Woo who was kind of injured to put him in and then he.
Speaker 1: Couldn't start all postseason because he was battling that injury. So yeah, like that changed a lot of things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I didn't like that move at all. I just like that was that was the wrong one. And then so we we kind of switched seats, so we were we were down the first base side for the start of the game, and then Josh Shire's wife had message us saying there's some seats by us, just come hang out. So we walked over to the other side, like the family section where everyone was and that was the inning, the George Springer homer inning where the single up the middle, bizarres in and then the George Springer homer. So that there's a clip that I post all the time. I posted it yesterday. The tweet was the Trump Blue did have finally won a game. But that was Johnny and I on the broadcast celebrating after the George Springer three run homer, and I think it was just no one could believe that it happened. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard that I just you couldn't even hear anything.
Speaker 6: It was so loud.
Speaker 5: And George Springer's dad was beside us, just freaking out. He's the coolest guy ever. I think it was just kind of unbelievable. And the thing that was really bad was the Mariner swings off Chris Bassett to come in in the eighth. Come in, yeah, because they scored in seventh, and then come in the eighth where they were gonna throw Bassett, but now they have the lead, and it was so quick that you couldn't.
Speaker 6: Get anyone else warm.
Speaker 5: So you're throwing Chris Bassett again in the eighth and whoever let Off hit a grounder to short on the first pitch, and I was like, that's the wrongs. That's where you lost it right there. I think was as soon as the first pitch ground out to short on Chris pass is like, that's that's not the approach we're going for here, if we're trying to get back in this game. And Hoffman to end it, I mean, it was.
Speaker 6: It was great. It was best game I've been to in a while.
Speaker 1: All Right, So let me say this still two things first off, and maybe we can get into this in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, one, we wrap this up.
Speaker 1: But the fact you guys are so tied in with people like that like John Schneider's wife and a bunch of the parents, like it's crazy. Like what you guys have built is absolutely nuts, and I do want to ask a couple things about it. But before we totally get off this ALCS thing, I do have to ask you guys, for the sake of Mariners fans, for the sake of us, because this is what's been talked about NonStop in our world. You were mentioning Blue Jays fans being pissed about what happened with the usage of Brenda Little in game five.
Speaker 2: Were you and Johnny just two on Cloud.
Speaker 1: Nine to talk about anything else other than Blue Jays are going to the World Series or did you guys talk about the Springer matchup at all? Because I'm not going to subject you to our whole thunderdome. We have been very clear the Mariners have had a serious manager problem for a long time, and nothing highlighted that more than what happened in Game seven. Because let me let me prevace it. The Blue Jays were a better team. They deserved every part of that ALCS. They deserve to go to the World Series. But my god, man, the fact that Muno's was not into face Springer is a just it's beyond a disaster.
Speaker 5: And if you talk about NonStop, it wasn't talked about pretty much at all.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 5: It was kind of like, oh, that was really dumb. But did you see that bomb that George Springer hit? Go, yeah, we'll take it right. It was Yeah, I don't think it was really touched upon by by anyone. But like, as you go back and look at is you know what I really wouldn't have liked Munno's in that situation. If I was a Blue Jays fan like that first two guys on, yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Crazy. Yeah, I mean, I don't blame you.
Speaker 1: If we had been in your spot, I don't know if we would have been talking about a whole ton of bullpen.
Speaker 2: Usage either, So I get it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, just in our world, this is what's been talked about NonStop for every good reason. So I was just curious of Yeah, Blue Jay's fans had thought about it much. I don't blame you for not, but yeah, wild game.
Speaker 2: I will say.
Speaker 1: I know this is gonna break Marinis fans heart because George Springer and hearing the name is basically PTSD for people at this point. But he is like the nicest dude ever TJ and I've gotten to talk to him once or twice. He really is incredibly nice. It breaks my heart to say, but he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When we got to do the Bud the Budweiser commercial with him a couple of weeks ago, he was the nicest guy. That was the first time we had we had met him since the ALCS night. But yeah, he's great. I know the al West connection there and then huh, that home is not really great for you guys.
Speaker 6: But for sure one of the nicer guys that that we had.
Speaker 3: Met was that, well you mentioning you guys doing that commercial. I mean, that is one of the coolest things I've seen that in the new age of content, like a Toronto Blue Jays podcast gets to do a Budweiser commercial with George Springer say that sentence out loud.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 5: So we're lucky that Budweisers are presenting sponsor and there George Springer is the face of Budweiser zero, so it matched up perfectly.
Speaker 6: He didn't really know who we were.
Speaker 5: He might have known, but he was one of the guys we've pretty much never talked to, and he was he had an hour's worth of stuff to do, so we were just kinda together. We were making fun of how many attempts we had to do at this ten second commercial we were about to do. So that's that was our bonding, like, oh this it didn't suck, but he knew that hour was gonna suck, so we just kind of played entries like oh, not good enough for you guys, I and he liked that.
Speaker 6: That's how we that's how we got to him.
Speaker 2: That is really cool.
Speaker 1: I mean, I will say for those who don't know, it's not a perfect comparison, but getting to know you and Johnny a little bit just through content and getting to meet you guys out in Seattle last year, there's some similarities. I always like to say between our podcasts, it's no carbon copy by any means, but just like, you guys are very much the podcast for Blue Jays fans, and we like to think of ourselves as the same way for Mariners fans. And even the dynamic on the pod I think has some similarities. Like I think you Avery and TJ kind of share the similar role where you have to be a little bit more of the like calm presence, the voice of reasons sometimes and then Johnny and I are usually the loose cannons at like because I go off about things all the time and I know Johnny certainly does. But like to see you guys do essentially that just love your own team, talk about it where now you're in a place where for those who don't know that are Mariners fans, I mean Avery just mentioned it. They did a commercial with George Springer you're really really tight with a lot of the players and coaches and the families. You're I mean, Vladdie was wearing your guys' shirt just a couple of weeks ago. Like, it's not normal to do what you guys have done. It's like a team based podcast and you guys are doing it.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it. Yeah, we never I never see it that way. It's like, oh, that's kind of cool. It's fun for right now, but yeah, lucky to be able to do it as a full time job now. But yes, the people who watch our show hate that stuff. People will say it's cool from the outside, but then they're like, ah, you guys are whenever we criticize in a way, and it's it's never enough criticism for people. Where so we would start it was it was bad at the start, right when we didn't know anyone and you can just talk and we didn't think anything would ever get back to us because we never thought it would be big.
Speaker 6: We were just kind of doing it for fun.
Speaker 5: When we started just saying all that guy should be Dfad sent to hell, like the We would say mean things that were outraged and that's how kind of we got the notoriety at the start. Then you start to meet the people. They're nice guys, and you're like, you know what, I don't I think you should be sent to hell because you're playing bad baseball. Like you're playing bad baseball, but you're a nice guy. So I'm gonna naturally as time comes, we're gonna be a little nicer to the people. And they hate that were nice to them now, like they like, they're just your buddies. You can't say anything mean to them anymore. Like just try and listen to it a little. That Twitter is the worst part of it. Like I don't I don't really use my Twitter to criticize people too much. Like it's I'd rather shout the good things and the bad things. That's just how I go about life. And then people say, oh, where's your tweets about this? It's like we have a long form show where we give our real thoughts over that amount of time. I like my Twitter to be curated how I want to feel, so I don't want to be spewing hate all the time in all my comments. Johnny has curated his Twitter to strictly spew hate, and he hates his comment section so it's like, oh, you're kind of doing that to yourself, right, Like I'm I'm trying to avoid that at all costs and just keep it to myself.
Speaker 6: If you don't have anything good to say, try and keep it to myself.
Speaker 3: I feel like you guys still do criticize like a decent amount, but it's like it's totally fair criticism that doesn't in at least from what we can see on the outside, likes seems to piss off any either players or executives within the Blue Jays. Like Mark Schapira loves you guys. He gives into the team.
Speaker 6: He gave me an engagement gift last week.
Speaker 2: It's crazy he did.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me tell you what before you continue that story, let me promise you this not only is Jerry Depoto never ever getting DJ and I an engagement gift. I don't think he's coming on the show anytime soon. Yeah, so he's but he's like, you guys are baseball guys. So we played bait college baseball in America, which gave us like we were both bad right, Like Johnny two years of junior college, I was two years of a Division two left handed slot pitcher, like in Canada. That's we had a little bit of pulls the wrong thing, but we had played baseball at a high enough level where people cared at the start.
Speaker 6: Now they don't care that.
Speaker 5: I mean, we're ten years removed from playing college base No one cares. So Mark's like, you guys like baseball, you like the team, You're fair to us. It's like, I don't know why I wouldn't try and embrace you guys at least and like kind of help out. So he he's great, Like I don't.
Speaker 2: For him.
Speaker 5: In like ownership, I'd never seen the problems like it was always a Ross Atkins team building thing where that's where the problem lied for me. If anything was team building, and again it's yeah, you could move on after the twenty twenty four season. We all would have been okay with that, right, But it was never Yeah, we just don't attack as hard as people want. And I think the people on the team are fine with how we deal with them. So if we lose the access to the team, then I think people would still listen to us. But there's a lot less cool things you can do if you're constantly ripping on the team that has good ownership. For the most part, good upper management, like there's not too much to to deal with, and then we're in the middle of everyone wants John Schneider fired because the team's kind of bad, and that's like, who are we gonna get right now and who's gonna be different? They said, well, he puts George Spring in the leadoff spot every day, so he's he's a moron, he's an idiot. It's like, yeah, he probably should be moved at some point, but I don't think if he's moved and he stinks again, he stops playing. You just have a different manager and all the same surrounding parts for this part of the season. I don't think it's gonna gonna change too much.
Speaker 3: And i'd guess that John Schneider is another one of those guys who like understands like the role you guys have for for Blue Jays fans, because you guys are decently tight with John Schneider, so you can't, like, like, you can still talk about the situation fairly and he's not gonna hate.
Speaker 2: You for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no one thinks we talk about it fairly And that's fine, right, It's it's through Twitter, it's it's the part we deal with and I think you'll always try and be try and be numbers based in your evaluations of how things are going and managers. There's no stats on fan grafts and baseball spoting for managers, so everyone's just like, oh, this guy sucks, can't win with them, and there's nothing you can say differently that. There's no numbers based things that you can say for people to say that they're a good manager or not. So I'm just like, oh, he sucks, he's incompetent. They they can't can't have them all right, Like I don't. I don't think that's the case. But if they were playing bad, coaches take more of the blame first and then the players. So that's just the spot they're at. They're trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Sure, I will ask as we start to wrap this thing up. And again I do think it's all very very cool what you guys have built. And by the way, Blue Jays and and Canada people are very tuned in on their baseball. Like the views you guys get for being a team podcast is nuts, Like, yeah, people are locked.
Speaker 5: In, man, Yeah, it's good when they win and it's really bad when they lose, right, just like I'm talking talking to just me and Johnny when they lose pretty much, but.
Speaker 2: That is totally fair.
Speaker 1: But by the way, let me let me say this too. You were mentioning your guys time playing college baseball. Of all the things, Johnny tweets out and I think it's twitter hilarious. The McCook Community College street shots he'll tweet when somebody's playing bad of himself, I think are the most hilarious thing ever. I don't know why in the world is somebody who grew up in the suburbs of Seattle. I now know what McCook Community College is, but it's hilarious that I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's one eighty five average his sophomore year and it would bat Juco in Nebraska.
Speaker 6: That's we always so.
Speaker 5: George Springer was playing poorly two years ago twenty four when they when they stunk. We did the june To line where Johnny stats against George Springers were pretty similar.
Speaker 6: Like that's bad.
Speaker 5: Like if you match up with bad Johnny june To stats, that's that's never good. So you never want to be towing the june To line. That's one eighty five there's.
Speaker 2: The Mendoza line, and then there's a June to line out.
Speaker 1: Where's the June to line? Yeah, last thing before we wrap this up. You got a serious prediction for the weekend. How it's gonna fly?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So last year didn't count as like a real Mariner series because it was too early in the year, right, like usually the T mobile trip is this part of the year, right like Canadaday, fourth of July. Everyone's down there, kids are off of school so they can travel, and then it's a nightmare, right Like, the trip's usually a nightmare for the Blue Jays. So that's why we were reluctant to go last year. It's like, you know what, they play terribly in Seattle, so I don't know if I want to travel cross country to go to it. Man, and it's all right, I mean all the Mariner starters are Riadies, right, so yeah, you don't get Patrick Corbyn, which is good for us.
Speaker 1: Actually it's bad because the Mariners are the worst team in baseball against lefties.
Speaker 2: No joke, really yeah, the worst. No.
Speaker 6: I mean, Patrick Corbyn will fix that. He could, he could have definitely fix that.
Speaker 1: See our counter is the Mariners will fix Patrick Corporan. This is what happens when you're tied into your team this tightly.
Speaker 5: Every Yeah, okay, I'm gonna go through. What are the Jay's matchups? They got ce Se Bieber, you savage, that's pretty good for us. Yeah, but the way the Jays are playing, I'm saying it's two one Mariners.
Speaker 6: Gotta go with that.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say two one Blue Jays. So that about checks out.
Speaker 3: What do you got to we're recording here on Tuesday. I would say it depends on the outcome of the Angels series, either tonight or Thursday. If they win one of those games, then the Blue Jays are winning two or Three's.
Speaker 6: Going on with a Wednesday off day? Is that real?
Speaker 3: World Cup?
Speaker 2: World Cup?
Speaker 3: Woke non stadium for right next to each other?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said, you say woke nonsense? Is that good? Although wait to Canada winner. They lose, they won, didn't they know they won? Yeah? Yeah, but you're you still don't care?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you can't be having off days in the middle of a series. That's just not real. That's not baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not It's a little while they almost played like a header against the Red Sox this year and had like a Friday off day because there was a World.
Speaker 2: Cup game and then they switched it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's only okay in the Cold Cities first week of the year.
Speaker 6: Other than that, not allowed in my books.
Speaker 1: Fair, totally fair dude, Avery, This has been really fun. I mean, we love what you guys do. We always love catching up with you guys when we get the chance to do so, So keep killing it and hopefully we'll see you guys down the road.
Speaker 6: Yeah, appreciate it. Thanks fellows, Well.
Speaker 1: That was really fun. Shout out to Avery for hopping on with us first time guests. We had Johnny on with us a couple of years ago. I think, yeah, now we got to have Avery on again. We've gotten to know both of them a little bit, and it is certainly fun to see those guys do what they've done and see another team based podcast just absolutely thrive. I mean, they are really really resonating throughout all of Canada and just to see them do what they've done is awesome for them and it's been fun to watch from our end, and we got to rehab a lot of things and preview a series that well, Avery seems to think is all gonna go our way and we seem to think is all gonna go his way, which is about par for the course with our two podcasts. So who's gonna end up being the one that's right? I guess we'll wait till the end of the weekend to find out. But again, that was really fun. Shout out to Avery for coming on with us. And with that, that'll just about wrap up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast.
Speaker 2: You guys know the drill.
Speaker 1: If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods, go leave that five star review if you're listening to these episodes wherever you're listening, and make sure to download the podcast as well. If you're on YouTube, just take a second make sure to go hit subscribe on YouTube. You can find us on our website marine layerpod dot com. Episodes are there, Patreon is there, podcast merch is all there. It's a big one stop shop, so go check it out marine layerpod dot com, and then find us on social media. We're on all platforms and we're posting content every single day at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 2: That's TJ. I'm Lyle as always be thank you guys for ti it again. We'll talk to you soon.